LANDING IN A SERIOUS MIND

Cast

Cast Landing In A Serious Mind album cover

Buy CAST Music
Studio Album, released in 1994

1. The Magic Is Gone (7:56)
2. Rest In Your Nest (6:35)
3. I Just Wanna Be (5:30)
4. At Last Alone (6:02)
5. Not Sleeping (6:21)
6. Just Another Way (10:53)
7. Do What You Like (6:20)
8. Athens (6:43)
9. Reunion (7:13)
10. Chris Col (4:38)

Search CAST Landing In A Serious Mind lyrics

Search CAST Landing In A Serious Mind tabs

- Dino Carlo Brassea / lead vocals
- Francisco Hernandez Reyes / guitars, lead vocals on "Just Another Way"
- Luis Alfonso Vidales / keyboards
- Jose Antonio Bringas / drums and percussion
- Rodolfo Gonzalez Quiroz / guitar on "I Just Wanna Be"

ALF-001 CD

and to Grendelbox for the last updates

CAST MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAST Landing In A Serious Mind Music

Landing In A Serious MindLanding In A Serious Mind
Self-Produced

More places to buy CAST music online Buy CAST & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAST DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAST Landing In A Serious Mind ratings distribution

CAST Landing In A Serious Mind reviews

Review by Greger
3 stars CAST first CD was released under their own label in early 1994, and features CAST's current band member lineup. Most notables are the Steve HACKETT influenced guitarist Francisco Hernandez Reyes, the singer Dino Brassea and the talented Alfonso Vidales on keyboards. This album is rather average, and not one of their best releases, although in contains some classic CAST tracks. Best pick: "Not sleeping", "Just another way" and "Athens" (the albums best track).

Send comments to Greger (BETA) | Report this review (#1939) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars Cast is one of the few prog-rock bands from Mexico. And a good one, I must say. The main reason for which I was first interested in the band was that they had pretty good reviews on PA, and that my wife being Mexican, I have also had a special feeling about what will become my second home in some future.

Cast will be a rather prolific band, releasing almost one album during each year of their career (still running to-date). Especially during their first years. Since they played together well before their first release, they probably had lots of material available (six albums, and long ones) in a mere two years !

They will decide to sing in English, for obvious reasons. Big Brother is just North, and to sing in Spanish would have cut them from a huge potential. Still, I do not know how well there are doing in terms of sales since this band is rather discreet : little information on their web-site, little touring in Europe. They are almost unknown over here. Even on this site, very few reviews are posted. Maybe that their lack of commercial success will make them change their minds since they revert to Spanish lyrics later on in their career.

"At Last Alone" is an intrumental number that sounds more like ELP in its introduction. It turns out to be a very light and subtle piece of music int the second part (with some flamenco guitar sounds). It turns out almost like an Italian prog band. Maybe the Latin influence ? One of my fave on this album (but there won't be much).

ELP is also close for "Not Sleeping" : a jazzy intrumental number with good bass and percussion, some marimba (this is a Mexican band, right ?) but emotionless.

The longest piece is "Just Another Way" : it opens on a long (over three minutes) and uniform (dull) church organ intro. The vocal part that follows is nice but a bit boring and monotonous. Some flamenco guitar sound are welcome to bring a bit of diversity but the finale is quite hectic, structureless and flat. I'm afraid that so far this album is not really convincing.

"Reunion" is more appealing : aerial at start, good background piano and a nice bombastic finale (again a la ELP).

This first album is average : it does not contain lots of outstanding numbers (although the opening number is rather nice, with subtle keys in the intro and very inspired vocal part). No bad ones either. The poppy closing number "Chris Col" brings some fresh air in this work.A bit childish maybe.

The architecture of their songs is sometimes complex but the best of their work will be achieved later on.

The main source of inspiration might well be Renaissance and its classical approach but with a male vocalist. Genesis from the "Wind & Wuthering" era as well . But only for a few numbers ("Rest Your Nest" and maybe "Athens") and ELP as I have already mentioned.

This band surely deserves a try but this album is probably not the one I would recommend to discover their work. As I am almost Mexican (half, actually), I will round up this effort to three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#119990) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 27, 2007

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
1 stars CAST are a mexican band and maybe the most creative one as they have released so far 16 studio albums in fourteen years (!!!) between 1994 and 2008...Creative?Well,listening to the their debut I doubt if this is the right word...It's like a band which wants to play prog but don't know how...The only things that worth in this album is the instrumental ''Athens'' (don't get excited,just an average symphonic prog instrumental track) and a couple of interesting guitar solos and keyboard/piano passages...As for the rest of the album,this is full of cheesy and dull ballad-like tracks and too weak vocals very much in the pop/AOR vein,that I can't listen to them over 3 times...

It's obvious that the band is influenced among others by GENESIS and neo prog in general but they don't know how to create symphonic arrangements...A couple of keyboard or guitar solos mean nothing to me,that ain't prog...Apart from the pop/rock sound this album suffers from really horrible production that makes the whole listening even more painful!...I really can't recommend this album to anyone,even for collectors of the band,as this one has not that much to do with good progressive rock,should be categorized perfectly as a AOR/melodic rock album...1 star only...

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#184775) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 05, 2008

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars When I read some reviews about CAST'S debut album, I thought that it was mediocre at the best, but still by insistence of a Mexican friend, dared to buy a copy of "Landing on a Serious Mind", something I will never regret, because the album is delightful, the vocals are good, but the instrumental breaks are outstanding.

The excellent interplay between the talented Luis Alfonso Vidales on the keyboards and Francisco Hernández Reyes on the guitars is elaborated with undeniable skills and technique. The Mexican elements in the music and the acoustic guitars with Flamenco reminiscences are delicate and introduced in the right moments avoiding abuse, in other words composition and arrangements are absolutely capable.

The album starts with "The Magic is gone" something that I believe is a contradiction with the opener, because the magic is just starting. After a delicate and very original introduction based mostly on keyboards and piano Dario Carlos Brassea in the vocals and Francisco Hernández Reyes add a passage clearly reminiscent of PENDRAGON'S "The Masquerade Overture" (Between Paintbox and The Shadow), but then evolves in something different and absolutely fluid, as the song advances, the vocals keep getting better and better and the aggressive guitar makes a perfect complement.

"Rest in Your Nest" starts more or less in Waltz tempo, but as the track advances keeps getting closer to some sort of Pompous Symphonic with echoes of Europe, with Brassea sounding very close (in vocal range and despite the strong accent) to Nick Barrett. Another solid number.

"I Just Wanna Be" brings us back into Neo territory again close to PENDRAGON, but this time to their softer side with sudden and surprising vocal explosions, the drumming by José Antonio Bringas collisions with the heavy guitar by the bassist Rodolfo Gonzalez Quiroz and Latin styled keyboards, not as solid as the previous two tracks, but still very good.

"At Last Alone" is a radical change, begins pompous and melancholic simultaneously, the acoustic guitar on the background playing in the vein of Flamenco musicians adds a wonderful touch. After a few seconds the song turns into a powerful ballad with elements borrowed from "A Trick of the Tail", just to change again into an "ALAN PARSONS PROJECT" inspired piece of music with more complexity.. "At Last Alone" changes over and over proving us that this guys know what Progressive Rock means, specially each time Luis Alfonso Vidales uses the Moog with great dexterity.

"Not Sleeping" presents us a different sound, this time they irrupt into Jazz/Fusion territory with some elements of "JEAN LUC PONTY" but with a Latin touch, the drumming by José Antonio Bringas is simply spectacular, a frantic violin (probably synthesized because it's not credited) blends perfectly.

"Just Another Way" the longest song in the album, is a pure Symphonic piece of music in which Luis Alfonso Vidales plays an extremely beautiful piano, that blends perfectly with the vocals creating a dramatic and melancholic song with some ELP reminiscences and a lot of CAST make of this song a real pleasure to listen.

"Do What you Like", "Athens", "Reunion" and "Chris de Col" have a lot in common, a clear Symphonic sound. with huge Classical influence and a touch of King Crimson, four tracks that seem taken from another album, to the point that I believe are from a different era of the band, being that CAST story begins in 1978, but this album was only released in 1994, an excellent way to close "Landing on a Serious Mind".

Most reviews I read, describe CAST'S debut as a mediocre album, something with what I totally disagree, maybe their later albums are even better, but "Landing on a Serious Mind" is a strong album from start to end with no weak moments, and that in my opinion deserves no less than four very solid stars.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#230642) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 08, 2009

Post a review of CAST "Landing In A Serious Mind"