PARACLETUS

Deathspell Omega Paracletus album cover

Buy DEATHSPELL OMEGA Music
Studio Album, released in 2010

1. Epiklesis I (1:42)
2. Wings of Predation (3:43)
3. Abscission (6:07)
4. Dearth (3:47)
5. Phosphene (7:03)
6. Epiklesis II (3:06)
7. Malconfort (4:57)
8. Have You Beheld the Fevers? (2:59)
9. Devouring Famine (5:09)
10. Apokatastasis Pantôn (4:01)

Search DEATHSPELL OMEGA Paracletus lyrics

Search DEATHSPELL OMEGA Paracletus tabs

- Mikko Aspa / Vocals
- Hasjarl / Guitar
- Khaos / Bass

Norma Evangelium Diaboli/SOM
November 8th, 2010

Thanks to Conor Fynes for the addition

DEATHSPELL OMEGA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEATHSPELL OMEGA Paracletus Music

ParacletusParacletus
Season Of Mist/Red 2011

More places to buy DEATHSPELL OMEGA music online Buy DEATHSPELL OMEGA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEATHSPELL OMEGA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEATHSPELL OMEGA Paracletus ratings distribution

DEATHSPELL OMEGA Paracletus reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
5 stars 'Paracletus' - Deathspell Omega (9/10)

Originally producing a much more primal brand of black metal in their earlier days, French avant-metal act Deathspell Omega has come a long way from their origins.Having adopted many more technical and ambitious traits into their music, it may be surprising to some that the band hasn't lost any of their dark atmosphere in making the transition. With their fifth full- length album 'Paracletus,' the band affirms this marriage of atmosphere and complexity, and has crafted an astounding, haunting and provocative piece of music that builds on their existing fervor and strength as one of the most innovative acts in the black metal realm.

The conclusion to an adventurous trilogy surrounding the relationship between God, Satan, and Mankind, 'Paracletus' derives it's name from the Greek word for 'comforter,' which has since become synonymous with the idea of the 'holy spirit.' While the album is incredible as a standalone work, it should be noted that this complex and progressive style was used to similar effect on the two previous albums, 2004's 'Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice,' and it's follow-up 'Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum.' While these three albums are linked by style, 'Paracletus' itself is bound by a nearly seamless sense of cohesion, giving the effect of an epic 'suite' rather than a collection of tracks.

Despite a very unique approach to the genre, it's very clear that 'Paracletus' is a black metal record at it's core. The inhuman growls, shrieks and blastbeats of the genre are here in no short supply, but it's really the vibe and atmosphere that ties it in so well with the style. Ranging from some incredibly technical and chaotic segments ('Wings Of Predation') to the more mellow, almost 'post-rock' elements ('Dearth'), 'Paracletus' is tied together by a haunting, deeply unsettling and 'evil' atmosphere.

In 2010, it's still clear that Deathspell Omega has not lost a hint of their penchant for calculated madness, and have no intention of slowing down. While the technical insanity may turn off some of the more traditional black metal fans out there, 'Paracletus' will indeed be remembered as one of the premier albums of the genre released in the new decade, and a possibly classic addition to this band's career.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#312369) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Review by snobb
2 stars This album of French black metal band Deathspell Omega didn't surprise me too much.Being almost a cult black metal band on their early releases, some last years band plays more different music.

For everyone not familiar with DO sound I would like to mention fast noise metal, growling vocals, some black metal atmosphere and quite complex compositions' rhythm structures. Interesting, sound even being destructive,is quite ambient,almost polished. Production are far from good though (what is not a big problem in the metal world, but is a big minus for prog fans I believe). There even are some traces of melodies on some compositions, but in all this is a brutal radical metal album,mostly interesting for such sub-genre fans.

To be honest, I was surprised when found this band added on PA. Looking retrospectively, they are not too much different from Burzum or Emperor, the bands which are respected black metal units, but hardly have any relations with progressive rock at all. Possibly, the formal reason for DO inclusion on progressive music site was some avant-metal elements in their music. For me such reason sounds quite controversial, but I am far not specialist in metal prog.

The only thing I need to add - this album possibly is one between some most radical metal albums on PA, so if you're not a heavy fan of such music, better avoid it.

Kind of average album for radical metal fans, this release sounds too much out of place on progressive site for me.My rating is 2+.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#341542) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 03, 2010

Review by J-Man
3 stars Devouring Famine

Released three years after their highly acclaimed Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum, French avant-black metal band Deathpell Omega returns with another competent album, Paracletus. Although the band doesn't play a style of music that I can call myself a fan of, fans of experimental, noisy, and dark technical black metal will really enjoy this one. As for myself, I honestly only enjoy Paracletus in small bursts. This album seldom has melody and is mainly focused on enough dissonance and speed to make your head explode. For some people, this extremely difficult and challenging music may be a good thing. I'd much rather put on a less experimental black metal album, but the quality here is unquestionable. Although Paracletus is a very hard album to sit through for someone who isn't a huge fan of avant garde music, the album's inaccessibility is what will make it so great for some people. This isn't for the faint of heart at all, but anyone who's looking for very challenging music will definitely enjoy Paracletus.

The music on Paracletus is a cross between old school black metal, avant-metal, and noise rock. The insane blast beats, low-fi production, and vocal styles all hint towards black metal, though the album is clearly very experimental in attitude. The songs are mainly built off of speeding blast beats, dissonant chords, and shrieking vocals. There are occasionally some more melodic parts, but keep in mind that most of Paracletus is extremely heavy and technical. The level of musicianship in Deathspell Omega is unquestionable, and ultimately the best thing about the band. The guitar playing and drumming are the most notable, considering this album is filled to the brim with complex drum patterns and fast guitar riffing. The compositions get quite monotonous at times, but the level of musicianship often makes up for it.

The production is very lo-fi, so you can take that as you will. For black metal fans, that's probably a good thing, but for some people that may be a detriment. I personally think the unpolished production style adds to the atmosphere of the album, despite the setbacks that it creates in terms of bass audibility and the sound of the drums. There are quite a few times on this album where the drums just sound plain awful, and it's a bit of a shame. The sound is an acquired taste, though, and I could understand black metal fans thinking this sounds great.

Conclusion:

Paracletus is a good, sometimes even great, album by Deathspell Omega. I can see fans of avant-garde and twisted black metal really liking this one. Unfortunately, when it boils down to my own personal taste, I'm not nearly enough of an experimental black metal fan to completely grasp this one. As it stands, this is worth 3 stars for the appeal it will have for its intended audience. I would approach this one with caution for anyone who isn't already a fan of Deathspell Omega, however.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#342628) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 04, 2010

Review by Warthur
4 stars Imagine a black metal band hijacked an orchestra's tour bus and forced the musicians to play whilst they were driving over a bridge - that's the sort of dense, multilayered cacophony which greets the listener when you put on Deathspell Omega's Paracletus. Using a wide range of instrumentation, careful production and the techniques of genres ranging from post-rock to noise rock as well as their avant-black metal roots, the band create something which at first listen sounds like typical black metal chaos, before you realise that in fact it's a richer, denser mass than first appears. There's always a bit more going on with Deathspell Omega than meets the eye, and nowhere is that more true than on Paracletus.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#1056515) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 08, 2013

4 stars The band Deathspell Omega has gained a certain cult status in the black metal "community". With their unknown members (as far as we know) and their tendency to not tour has created something that is in mystery to the general public. Although we do not know much about them, what we do kno ... (read more)

Report this review (#425316) | Posted by openmindedmetalhead | Thursday, March 31, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 3.54 stars? D: I figured this would be waaaaay up on the list of tech/extreme prog bands on this site. This album is .... fantastic..... I was introduced to Deathspell Omega by this album. I was totally blown away and looked at their other releases (which are also phenomenal). This band is far, far ... (read more)

Report this review (#391024) | Posted by Tengent | Monday, January 31, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEATHSPELL OMEGA "Paracletus"