GREASY LOVE SONGS

21 Love of My Life 2:06

Search FRANK ZAPPA Greasy Love Songs lyrics

Search FRANK ZAPPA Greasy Love Songs tabs

CD Zappa ZR 20010 (US)

Thanks to snobb for the addition

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Greasy Love Songs Music

Hot RatsHot Rats
Zappa Records 2012
Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)
Zappa Records 2014
Joe's Garage Acts I II & IIIJoe's Garage Acts I II & III
Over-Nite SensationOver-Nite Sensation
Fillmore East - June 1971Fillmore East - June 1971
Zappa Records 2012
Freak Jazz Movie Madness & Another MothersFreak Jazz Movie Madness & Another Mothers
Multiple Formats
Sexy Intellectual 2014
DVD$17.98
One Size Fits AllOne Size Fits All
Zappa Records 2012
ROCK & ROLL Hall Fame Tenth Induction cd Frank Zappa Neil Young Janis Joplin US $99.95 [0 bids]
29m 36s
FRANK ZAPPA 'SHUT UP N PLAY YER GUITAR' UK 3-TRACK 7" EP PROMO COPY US $25.92 Buy It Now 31m 51s
FRANK ZAPPA 'I DON'T WANT TO GET DRAFTED' UK PICTURE SLEEVE 7" SINGLE US $21.06 Buy It Now 31m 51s
Frank Zappa Goblin Girl Picture Disk Vinyl - Near Mint Special Edition EP US $24.99 [0 bids]
40m 46s
Frank Zappa 1980 Zappa 12" 45rpm I Don't Wanna Get Drafted Vinyl Near Mint US $14.99 [0 bids]
40m 46s
Jean-Luc PONTY Plays The Music Of Frank ZAPPA, World Pacific 1970 LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 55m 14s
Frank ZAPPA Studio Tan RARE 1978 DJ LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 55m 15s
FRANK ZAPPA - FINER MOMENTS HEAVYWEIGHT 2LP VINYL SET (April 19th 2013) US $37.27 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Frank Zappa just another band from L.A. US $24.99 [0 bids]
The Grand Wazoo by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, Ryko Distribution) US $19.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - JOE'S GARAGE - DUTCH CBS IMPORT - ACT 1 - LP US $12.95 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA 45 I DONT WANNA GET DRAFTED RECORD 7" US $4.50 [0 bids]
RARE promo only sampler w/ Frank Zappa, Kinks, Eric Anderson US $7.99 [0 bids]
We're Only In It For The Money, Frank Zappa, New US $14.10 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Lumpy Gravy, Frank Zappa, New US $14.10 Buy It Now 1h 26m
FRANK ZAPPA MOTHERS OF INVENTION 200 MOTELS RARE SOUNDTRACK W/BOOKLET UA US $17.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Waka / Jawaka - Cassette 1988 UK US $14.00 Buy It Now 1h 40m
FRANK ZAPPA JOE'S GARAGE ACT I VG+ TO VG++ HEAR IT US $21.00 Buy It Now 2h
FRANK ZAPPA LP " Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch " EPIC Canada US $29.95 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Frank Zappa Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Rykodisc 3 Outer CD Box ONLY - NO CDS! US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
MFSL 24K Gold CD Frank Zappa We're Only in It for the Money Sealed Pristine US $59.99 Buy It Now 2h 11m
FRANK ZAPPA Baby Snakes 1979 USA ZAPPA RECORDS 7" VINYL SINGLE Z-10 US $12.16 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Frank Zappa - Tinseltown Rebellion. Japanese mini LP. 2 x Discs. US $48.62 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 1. Japanese mini LP x 2 US $48.62 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 3. Japanese mini LP x 2 US $48.62 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 4. Japanese mini LP x 2 US $48.62 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 5. Japanese mini LP x 2 US $48.62 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa NM Vinyl 7" EP(1982)-Valley Girl/Teenage Prostitute US $14.00 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 6. Japanese mini LP x 2 US $48.62 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Ship Arriving Too Late To Save a Drowning Witch. Japanese Mini LP US $32.41 [1 bids]
Frank Zappa - Jazz From Hell. Japanese Mini LP. Sealed unplayed. US $32.41 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Valley Girl 1982 UK CBS RECORDS 7" VINYL SINGLE CBS A2412 US $12.16 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Frank Zappa - Guitar. Japanese Mini LP. unplayed. US $32.41 [1 bids]
Frank Zappa - You Are What You Is. Japanese Mini LP. Sealed unplayed. US $32.41 [1 bids]
Frank Zappa - London Symphony Orchestra. Japanese Mini LP. Sealed unplayed. US $32.41 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Ruben & the Jets Verve vinyl lp US $29.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa // The London Synmphony Orchestra US $9.50 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA LP -- "Zoot Allures" -- PLAY GRADE VG+ US $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Frank Zappa, Joe's Garage Act I. CBS 86101, Gatefold, 1979, Made in Portugal US $19.00 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa, Joe's garage, Acts 2 & 3, Progressive 2 LPs CBS 88475 US $18.00 [0 bids]
CD FRANK ZAPPA SHEIK YERBOUTI US $3.49 [2 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA JOE'S GARAGE ACT. 1 RARE LP ARGENTINA PROMO US $34.99 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Frank Zappa - Mofo Project/Object [CD New] US $25.58 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Absolutely Free Frank Zappa The Mothers of Invention CD US $7.99 [0 bids]
Apostrophe (') by Frank Zappa (CD, Jul-1996, Au20/Rykodisc) GOLD DISC limited US $49.99 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Ensemble Modern Plays Frank Zappa Greggery Peccary and other Persuasions US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 43m
FRANK ZAPPA The Mothers The Grand Wazoo BIZARRE LP 2093 Gatefold Original US $16.00 Buy It Now 3h 45m
The Lost Episodes Frank Zappa CD Ryko Mothers of Invention Slipcase US $34.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Frank Zappa - Lather (3 CD Box Set) 1996 US - Rykodisc US $58.50 Buy It Now 4h 9m
FRANK ZAPPA - BROADWAY THE HARD WAY rare 1988 UK LP US $32.41 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Frank Zappa: Joe's Garage: Acts 1, 2 and 3 - CD May-1995 2 Discs Ryko... US $28.50 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Cheap Thrills by Frank Zappa Ryko I Could Be a Star Now Catholic Girls and MORE! US $4.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA CD Cheap Thrills - Ryko RCD-10579 US $10.75 Buy It Now 4h 49m
FRANK ZAPPA IN NEW YORK DISCREET RECORDS 2D-2290 DOUBLE ALBUM US $1.29 [2 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA BEET THE BOOTS 1 IN UNOPENED BOX SET!!! MINTY MINT! UNOPENED!!! US $299.95 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA "Goblin Girl/Pink Napkins" orig Barking Pumpkin PICTURE DISC BEAUTY US $3.99 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - 200 MOTELS - LIBERTY RECORDS UAS 29.219 - GATE COVER-2 LP'S IMPORT US $24.00 Buy It Now 5h 11m
Frank Zappa // Finer Moments // Brand New Double Record LP Vinyl US $34.88 Buy It Now 5h 12m
FRANK ZAPPA MEETS MOTHERS OF PREVENTION - "SEALED" - "SEALED" - "SEALED" US $40.00 Buy It Now 5h 15m
FRANK ZAPPA - SET OF 10 MIXED PROMO POSTER POSTCARDS # 2 US $8.09 [0 bids]
Captain Beefheart "Bat Chain Puller" LP YELLOW VINYL #d/50 made! Frank Zappa US $21.69 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Frank Zappa - Don't Eat The Yellow Snow 7" Vinyl RI NEW US $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 28m
The Mothers OverNite Sensation 1973 VG+ Warner Bros Records gatefold Frank Zappa US $30.00 Buy It Now 5h 29m
FRANK ZAPPA - SHEIK YERBOUT - 2 LP SET - ZAPPA RECORDS SRZ-2 - 1501-NEVER PLAYED US $38.00 Buy It Now 5h 30m
Frank Zappa Over Nite- Sensation Lp USA Discreet Original Gatefold Lp VG/VG US $20.00 Buy It Now 5h 46m
FRANK ZAPPA MOTHERS OF INVENTION TINY NIGHTMARES BOOT LP 1978 RARE US $125.00 Buy It Now 5h 59m
Over-Nite Sensation, Frank Zappa, New US $14.10 Buy It Now 6h 3m
FRANK ZAPPA MOTHERS WE'RE ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY UK LP 1968 CLEAN US $200.00 Buy It Now 6h 5m
FRANK ZAPPA AND THE LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA ZAPPA VOL. 1 LP 1983 US $35.00 Buy It Now 6h 12m
FRANK ZAPPA MOTHERS OF INVENTION FREAK OUT! STEREO 2LP 1966 LP 2LP US $100.00 Buy It Now 6h 18m
Vintage 1976 Frank Zappa Zoot Allures Vinyl LP Record Album 2970 VG+ or better US $5.49 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa LP Ship arriving Too Late To Save a Drowning Witch w/ lyric page US $9.69 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Bongo Fury - CD - (Universal 2012) US $17.82 Buy It Now 6h 28m
FRANK ZAPPA**DON'T EAT THE YELLOW SNOW/DOWN IN DE DEW (7 INCH)**VINYL US $7.95 Buy It Now 6h 29m
Frank Zappa - Broadway The Hard Way- CD - (Universal 2012) US $17.82 Buy It Now 6h 32m
Trance-Fusion FRANK ZAPPA Rare CD (2006 Zappa Records) Instrumental Guitar US $60.99 Buy It Now 6h 35m
FRANK ZAPPA AND THE MOTHERS FREAK OUT! LP 1966 ORIGINAL 2LP US $125.00 Buy It Now 6h 39m
Mothers of Invention Freak Out! vinyl 2x LP ORIG 1966 DEBUT MONO Frank Zappa US $119.95 Buy It Now 6h 40m
FRANK ZAPPA - OVER-NITE SENSATION NEW CD US $19.50 Buy It Now 6h 41m
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION Uncle Meat 2xLP NEW SEALED 180 GRAM VINYL US $39.99 Buy It Now 6h 55m
FRANK ZAPPA - YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE 1 NEW CD US $27.76 Buy It Now 7h
Trance-Fusion by Frank Zappa CD Zappa Records BRAND NEW SEALED US $59.99 Buy It Now 7h 2m
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION Roxy & Elsewhere 2xLP NEW 180 GRAM VINYL US $39.99 Buy It Now 7h 8m
FRANK ZAPPA SUPERB SILVER COLOURED METAL PIN BADGE US $11.33 Buy It Now 7h 28m
Frank Zappa 1980 Zappa 45rpm I Don't Wanna Get Drafted b/w Ancient Armaments US $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 32m
Frank Zappa:YCDTOSA Vol.1 US $24.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - WAKA JAWAKA - BRAND NEW SEALED CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 8h 18m
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION Burnt weeny sandwich N MINT PSYCH PROG LP US $27.56 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Hot Rats ORIGINAL UK tri-color Reprise pressing PSYCH PROG JAZZ LP US $47.01 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA + Mothers of Invention We're Only in It for the Money NM PSYCH LP US $37.29 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Chunga's Revenge NEAR MINT ORIGINAL GERMAN LP PSYCH PROG JAZZ ROCK US $40.53 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - The Yellow Shark NEW CD US $15.82 Buy It Now 8h 24m
Uncle Meat - Mothers of Invention-Frank Zappa / LP US $29.99 Buy It Now 8h 40m
Frank Zappa, LP "Francesco Zappa", RARE, 1st US Press, signed Roller Wilson US $15.00 [0 bids]
We're Only in It for the Money by Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Intention -- CD US $20.00 Buy It Now 8h 43m
frank zappa 200 Motels Liberty 92854 gatefold 2 Vinyl Lp N/M US $19.98 Buy It Now 8h 59m
Frank Zappa : Thing Fish (2CDs) (1995) US $13.34 Buy It Now 9h
Frank Zappa ~ 200 Motels ~ 1971 (UK) with POSTER + Booklet A1/B1 A1/B1 UDF50003 US $56.72 Buy It Now 9h 14m
Frank Zappa Son of Serious Music 12" (M-) 1984 ICA Masterworks US $24.99 [1 bids]
Frank Zappa and The Mothers Of Invention - One Size Fits All LP Japan Pressing US $8.92 [2 bids]

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRANK ZAPPA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRANK ZAPPA Greasy Love Songs ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA Greasy Love Songs reviews

Review by jammun
3 stars It's always nice to see a horrible wrong corrected.

Ruben & The Jets was a great Zappa album in its original incarnation. Hell, it shared no less than three songs with Freak Out, and no one complains about Freak Out:

How Could I Be Such A Fool You Didn't Try To Call Me Anyway The Winds Blows

Not to mention Love of My Live, which would later show up in Zappa's live shows decades later. He obviously had some fondness for these songs.

But with the CD release of Ruben, he turned all apostate on us with regard to the album, and literally destroyed it by re-recording the bass and drums and in general rendering it unlistenable to anyone who had heard the original.

This wrong has now been righted. We can toss our CD's of Ruben in the recycle bin.

Greasy Love Songs is nothing less than Ruben & The Jets restored to all its original glory. Granted, it's a doo-wop record (sorta) and a parody (sorta) and not as groundbreaking as the albums that preceded it (sorta). It's nonetheless a fine example of early Mothers music.

I can almost hear the conversation:

Ray Collins: If you'd let me sing these songs my way, we'd be famous. FZ: Okay, let's do it your way for an album and see how that works out.

I don't know how it worked out commercially, though I suppose it was another middling success for The Mothers. Artistically, this is a great Zappa album. The man couldn't help himself. Even when recording parodies of songs of "cretin simplicity" he just had to make them perfect and forward- looking. It's actually amazing how good "cretin simplicity" can sound.

The sound. There's so much echo and reverb that drums cease to sound like drums. They sound like hip, snapping fingers. Acoustic guitars occasionally riff jazzy chords. Roy Estrada's bass always provides a solid bottom, and the pianos and sax, while of said cretin simplicity, are always right there in the mix where they should be. Ray Collins' voice, even when it's occasionally Munchkin-ized, remains one of the great joys of this version of The Mothers.

They sometimes play it straight. Cheap Thrills. Desiri. Anything. It's all mindless stuff perfectly executed. Don't worry about it, just sit back and enjoy. You'll hear Zappa's vocal rumblings, Estrada's falsetto, all intermixed with Collins', singing inane lyrics. It's all good.

No No No is nothing but several minutes of a single I-IV-I7 chord laid over a simplistic beat, with vocal harmonies that twist and turn and are to this day well beyond the skills of your average pop star crap, even if a bit Munchkin-ized. Estrada is in fine form (bass-wise) just wandering around and embellishing what it yes a garage chord progression. No wonder Beefheart eventually hooked up with him.

And, it being a Zappa album, we get a nice little suicide song (Stuff Up The Cracks), teen love being what it is. Stuff up the cracks, turn on the gas, throw that nice sharkskin suit out on some dog waste, and play some nice wah-wah guitar.

This is actually a great album, but I'm going to dock it just because it shouldn't be on anyone's Zappa short list and it's barely prog. For those who are familiar with early Mothers, it's a necessary addition to the collection. I love the sucker.

Send comments to jammun (BETA) | Report this review (#463565) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 18, 2011

Review by Finnforest
3 stars The real Ruben returns...

Most Zappa fans know the story. For some inexplicable reason, when the classic Mothers album "Ruben and the Jets" was released on CD, Frank decided to update the bass and drums by re-recording them in the 1980s. Even Frank devotees, usually more than willing to cut their favorite icon some slack, were not amused. Then in 2010 the travesty was finally remedied with the CD release of "Greasy Love Songs", one in a series of "audio documentary projects." "Greasy" is the original, unmolested Ruben with the real drum/bass parts. It has been lovingly restored in new packaging with several bonus tracks and interview clips.

The songs were recorded in New York in late 67 to early 68 and the album was released in December 1968. There are some common misconceptions people make about this album. The first is that Zappa was mocking these "doo-wop" songs. I thought this at first too because of the exaggerated vocals which sound mocking, but the real story is that Zappa loved this music and was paying homage. He had a huge 45 collection of this stuff and professed his love repeatedly for the style. The second misconception is that this album is somehow simple, the songs just too basic to be interesting. The fact is that there was significant experimentation going on here just like the other albums of the period.

"They're more than recreations; they're careful conglomerates of archetypal clichés. For instance, "Fountain of Love" has quotes from background chants sung by the Moonglows, and the opening theme of "The Rite of Spring", but nobody ever heard it because there's like five different levels of musical accompaniment going on, not counting the band. There's all these different vocal parts and they're all clichés, and they're all carefully chosen for nostalgia value and then built into the song...it was an experiment in cliché collages...just riddled with stereotyped motifs. Not only did it give it its characteristic sound, but it gave it its emotional value. There was a lot of exploration done at the time we were putting together Ruben." -FZ, Aug 1969

What I love most about this music is the quality of the vocals and hearing the guys harmonize without the constant stops and starts of dialogue and humor that occur on the other albums. There's also some decent guitar playing every so often, along with all of the "motifs" Frank mentions above. It's such a different experience than everything else in my prog collection that it is special. This new version comes in a tri-fold sleeve with a great booklet featuring commentary by Cheech Marin (who nearly became a Mother) and Gail Zappa. I can't call it essential for everyone's collection, but to me this is certainly essential for Frank Zappa fans.

Time to turn down the lights....."ahhh.....love of my life.....i love you so.....bah da da dum"

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#579057) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "Greasy Love Songs"