VOLTA

Björk Volta album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy BJÖRK Music
Studio Album, released in 2007

1. Earth Intruders (6:13)
2. Wanderlust (5:51)
3. The Dull Flame Of Desire (7:31)
4. Innocence (4:27)
5. I See Who You Are (4:22)
6. Vertebræ By Vertebræ (5:08)
7. Pneumonia (5:14)
8. Hope (4:03)
9. Declare Independence (4:13)
10. My Juvenile (4:03)
11. I See Who You Are (Mark Bell Mix) (4:01)

Search BJÖRK Volta lyrics

- Eiríkur Örn Pálsson / brass
- Susan Panny / horn
- Sigurður Porbergsson / brass
- Jónas Sen / clavichord
- Damian Taylor / beats, editing, engineer, producer, programming, vocal programming and vocal treatments
-Timbaland / beats, keyboards and producer

LP 2007 One Little Indian # TPLP460H
CD 2007 One Little Indian # 1733527

Thanks to chris s for the addition
and to progshine for the last updates

BJÖRK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BJÖRK Volta Music

Björk - Debut (CD 1999)12 TRACKS -USED BUT REALLY MINT CD UNSEALED US $4.98 Buy It Now 3h
Homogenic by Björk (CD, Sep-1997, Elektra) US $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Björk. Greatest Hits. Great pop indie CD 2002. US $2.99 [0 bids]
Volta by Björk (CD, May-2007, Atlantic) New Sealed SS US $6.00 [0 bids]
Björk - Biophilia Remix Series 5 (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $16.59 Buy It Now 10h 3m
Björk - Biophilia Remix Series 2 (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $16.59 Buy It Now 10h 5m
Björk - Volta (2007) US $8.29 [0 bids]
Björk - Biophilia Remix Series 3 (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $16.59 Buy It Now 10h 43m
Björk - Biophilia Remix Series 4 (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $16.59 Buy It Now 10h 43m
Selmasongs [ECD] by Björk (CD, Sep-2000, Elektra (Label)) US $5.99 Buy It Now 11h 10m
Megas - Haettuleg Hljomsveit... 2xLP Iceland folk rock 1990 feat Björk Bjork US $97.00 Buy It Now 11h 12m
Null & Nix various icelandic artists Björk Ultra rare 1993 Smekkleysa US $79.00 Buy It Now 11h 12m
BRAND NEW Volta by Björk (CD, May-2007, Atlantic) Digipak Bjork US $9.22 Buy It Now 11h 56m
Björk - Live Box (1993-2002/Live Recording, 2003) US $16.59 [0 bids]
Post by Björk CD EN8 US $0.99 Buy It Now 12h 20m
Björk - Bjork Greatest Hits (2007) - Packaged in a folded card sleeve US $8.29 [0 bids]
Björk - Bjork Debut (1999) - First Issue US $8.29 [0 bids]
Björk ?- The Crystalline Series (Serban Ghenea Remixes) 2011 SynthPop 12" US $30.00 Buy It Now 14h 23m
Björk ?- The Crystalline Series (Matthew Herbert Mixes) 2011 Electro Folk 12" US $25.00 Buy It Now 14h 31m
Björk ?- The Crystalline Series (Omar Souleyman Versions) 2011 Electro 12" US $30.00 Buy It Now 14h 46m
Björk ?- Cosmogony (Matthew Herbert Mixes) 2011 Electro Folk 12" Single US $30.00 Buy It Now 15h 14m
Björk Hyperballad CD 1996 UK IMPORT US $1.89 Buy It Now 18h 22m
BJÖRK Big time sensuality CDS PEYR nellee hooper electronica black dog B sides US $1.64 [0 bids]
Björk,Isobel,EU,Papersleeve,2 Track,Cardsleeve,Papersleeve,Import US $44.44 Buy It Now 1 day
BERGTHORA ARNADOTTIR - Bergmal / Original Icelandic Vinyl featuring Björk US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Björk - Biophilia Remix Series 5 (NEW CD) US $10.36 Buy It Now 1 day
bjork "gling - glo" björk LP US $26.99 [0 bids]
Björk - Volta (2007) NEW/SEALED Digipak SPEEDYPOST US $6.58 Buy It Now 1 day
björk 'jóga' Great Video US $1.64 [0 bids]
Homogenic by Björk (CD, Sep-1997, Elektra (Label)) US $6.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Björk - Selmasongs CD US $14.20 Buy It Now 1 day
Björk - Drawing Restraint 9 (Original Soundtrack, 2005) US $3.65 Buy It Now 1 day
Björk (Bjork) - Post (CD 1999) Features "Army Of Me" "It's Oh So Quiet"! US $6.63 Buy It Now 1 day
Björk, Telegram Audio CD US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Vespertine by Björk (CD, Aug-2001, Elektra) US $2.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Debut by Björk (CD, Nov-1993, Universal/Mother) US $6.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Björk Medúlla [Limited] Sealed CD new US $6.85 Buy It Now 2 days
Björk - Debut (1999) US $5.90 Buy It Now 2 days
Debut by Björk (CD, Jul-1993, Elektra) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Björk ?- The Music From Matthew Barney's Drawing Restraint 9 LP SUGARCUBES US $9.99 [0 bids]
BJÖRK | BJORK | MEDÚLLA | MEDULLA | DUALDISC | DVD | BRAND NEW | FREE SHIPPING! US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BJÖRK | BJORK | SELMASONGS | DANCER IN THE DARK | CD | FREE SHIPPING! US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BJÖRK Homogenic CD 1997 Canada US $6.00 [0 bids]
Vespertine [LP] by Björk (Vinyl, Jun-2007, One Little Indian USA) US $36.41 Buy It Now 3 days
Björk Selma Songs USED CD US $11.49 Buy It Now 3 days
Medúlla by Björk CD Elektra Excellent! US $2.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Björk : Medúlla CD US $3.98 Buy It Now 3 days
BJÖRK Army Of Me OOP 1995 GERMANY CD single mixe US $11.90 Buy It Now 3 days
Vespertine by Björk (CD, Aug-2001, Elektra (Label)) US $4.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Homogenic by Björk 1997 Elektra ~ Grammy Nominated for Best Alternative Music US $4.44 Buy It Now 3 days
Björk Bjork Sunday Times Special Edition CD/CD ROM Videos Rare One Little Indian US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Jóga by Björk (CD May-1998, One Little Indian) Made In England Rare Import BJORK US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Björk CD Hidden Place [Single] BJORK CD2 Includes MINI POSTER UK IMPORT Rare US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Björk Exclusive Observer Promo EP CD US $5.00 [0 bids]
Voltaic CD & DVD by Björk 4 CD set NEW SEALED!! US $26.09 Buy It Now 3 days
Telegram by Björk (CD, Jan-1997, Elektra) US $2.75 [0 bids]
Homogenic by Björk -- NEW CD US $15.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Medúlla by Björk (CD, Aug-2004, Elektra (Label)) US $6.00 Buy It Now 3 days
BJÖRK Selmasongs US Elektra CD 2000 Near Mint ! Worldwide Free & Safe Shipping ! US $13.75 Buy It Now 3 days
BJORK Joga / Bachelorette Remixes JAPAN ONLY 10-track CD OBI POCP-7289 Björk US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BJORK Björk Debut ISRAEL israeli CD sugar cubes MINT US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
BJORK homogenic ISRAEL israeli CD sugar cubes Björk US $24.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ARIA(Maria Björk Glick)HAZE/Iceland/DIRTY BIX-Cell 7/SUBTERRANEAN/Trip Hop/Chill US $8.49 Buy It Now 4 days
Debut by Björk (CD, Jul-1993, Elektra (Label)) US $3.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Telegram [LP] by Björk (Vinyl, Jan-1997, Elektra Entertainment) Very Good US $100.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Björk Volta CD Slightly Used US $7.88 Buy It Now 4 days
Bachelorette Pt. 1 [Single] by Björk (CD, Jun-2007, One Little Indian USA) US $4.00 Buy It Now 4 days
BJORK Biophilia CD w/Taiwan OBI RARE OOP HTF SEALED Björk US $15.99 [0 bids]
Björk Homogenic lp new vinyl US $34.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Post by Björk (CD, Jun-1995, Elektra) US $1.00 [0 bids]
BJÖRK 3CD SINGLES - ARMY OF ME, BIG TIME SENSUALITY, ITS OH SO QUIET US $8.29 Buy It Now 5 days
BJÖRK 3CD SINGLES - VIOLENTLY HAPPY, ITS OH SO QUIET, HYPERBALLAD US $6.63 Buy It Now 5 days
Björk - Debut (1999) US $6.48 Buy It Now 5 days
Post Live by Björk NEW SEALED CD, Jun-2004 US $12.98 Buy It Now 5 days
Debut by Björk (Bjork) (CD, Jul-1993, Elektra (Label)) Mint #Z431 US $4.00 [0 bids]
Volta by Björk (CD, May-2007, Atlantic (Label)) US $4.69 Buy It Now 5 days
BJORK - It's Oh So Quiet - CD2 - One Little Indian ?- 182TP7CDL Björk US $8.29 Buy It Now 5 days
BJORK - Violently Happy - CD1 - One Little Indian ?- 142tp7cd Björk US $9.95 Buy It Now 5 days
BJORK - Hyperballad (CD1, 6 mixes) - Björk - One Little Indian, 192TP7CD US $8.12 Buy It Now 5 days
BJORK - Hyperballad (CD2, with poster) - Björk mixes by Towa Tei, Plaid, Carcass US $14.76 Buy It Now 5 days
BJORK - Isobel - CD1 - One Little Indian 172TP7CD Björk US $11.61 Buy It Now 5 days
BJORK - Venus As A Boy - CD2 - One Little Indian 122TP7CDL Björk US $18.25 Buy It Now 5 days
BJORK - Big Time Sensuality - CD1 - One Little Indian 132 tp 7 cd Björk US $11.61 Buy It Now 5 days
BJORK - Debut - CD - Limited Edition with Songbook TPLP31 CDL Björk US $36.52 Buy It Now 5 days
BJORK - Isobel - CD2 - One Little Indian 172TP7CDL Björk US $13.27 Buy It Now 5 days
BJORK - Army Of Me - CD2 - One Little Indian 162TP7CDL Björk US $8.29 Buy It Now 5 days
BJORK - It's Oh So Quiet - CD1 - One Little Indian ?- 182TP7CD Björk US $8.29 Buy It Now 5 days
BJORK - Vespertine - CD original white case Björk US $9.78 Buy It Now 5 days
BJORK - Venus As A Boy - CD1 - One Little Indian 122TP7CD Björk US $13.27 Buy It Now 5 days
BJORK - Human Behaviour - CD - One Little Indian 112TP7CD Underworld mix Björk US $18.25 Buy It Now 5 days
BJORK - Army Of Me - CD1 One Little Indian 162TP7CD ?- Björk US $8.29 Buy It Now 5 days
Björk , Audio CD, Telegram US $7.09 Buy It Now 5 days
Debut by Björk (CD, Jul-1993, Elektra (Label)) US $0.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Björk - Medúlla (2004) CD US $1.64 [0 bids]
BJORK Volta RUSSIAN Import NEW SEALED CD with OBI Universal Music Russia Björk US $12.99 [0 bids]
BJORK Medulla RARE RUSSIAN Import SEALED CD OOP Universal Russia Björk Medúlla US $19.99 [0 bids]
Björk - Debut 24HR POST!! US $6.63 Buy It Now 6 days
BJORK "Greatest Hits" rare Ukrainian version björk sugarcubes iamamiwhoami mia US $13.99 [0 bids]
Björk - Volta (CD) US $4.63 Buy It Now 6 days
Björk ?- Biophilia Double Vinly 2011 Rock LP Vinyl Record Album US $51.00 Buy It Now 6 days

More places to buy BJÖRK music online Buy BJÖRK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BJÖRK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BJÖRK Volta ratings distribution

BJÖRK Volta reviews

Review by Finnforest
2 stars "We're all f***ing animals, so let's just make some universal tribal beat. We're pagan. Let's just march."

Whether you agree with her pronouncements or not, Bjork decided she wanted 2007's "Volta" to be a return to high energy, she wanted to make an "Up" album. She did succeed in that goal but admitted after the album's release that it was just OK. "Volta" has some fun moments with good humor and lots of variety but it is a far cry from the previous triumph of "Medulla." The buzz before the release was that this would be a return to pop music in the "Post" style and there is a bit of that, but "Volta" is an edgier, more eclectic beast than Bjork's safer 90s work. Like those titles it is a mixed bag in terms of quality and front-loaded with the best material.

Jarring, restless, and flamboyant describe the exuberant party gal that "Volta" aspires to be, at least for half the disc. This is a guest who shows up at your door determined to be the person everyone will be talking about tomorrow. "Earth Intruders" wastes no time. Bjork delivers a monotone verse with cool operatic backing vocals, to rhythms as charged as Kate Bush's "Sat In Your Lap." It's a great energetic track co-produced by Timbaland. For the final two minutes everything stops and we get some watery sounds with foghorns and seagulls. Quite a clumsy transition but not unpleasant. Next comes "Wanderlust" which is one of the nicest "normal" ballads Bjork has ever done. She sings quite passionately about sailing away the urban, from the stress. There is great longing in the vocal accentuated beautifully by the brass in the background, even if the rhythm track is falling into the old Bjork bad habit of suffocating the human feel with noisy technology. At the end she talks of being "relentlessly restless" and the song expresses that feeling impeccably.

With the third track comes the third change of pace, this is not a uniform ride! "The Dull Flame of Desire" is a track sure to divide fans. It is a 7 minute romantic duet with the rather precious cabaret vocals of Antony---relaxing and well meant, but far too long and interesting only for being unusual. "Innocence" comes roaring back with an almost hip-hop beat that is intense?it literally punches you with sound, as Bjork giddily squeals about overcoming fear and how it becomes almost addictive. More relaxing watery effects to conclude, this is a little thing she does at the end of several songs to impart some continuity or perhaps just calm. "I see who you are" is a sparse ode to lovemaking while we can, before we "become corpses." Brass and lightly plucked strings make up the unique background. This is the last moment on the album where I really feel engaged, and if it stopped here I'd give it another star for sure.

The rest of the album just collapses into "for hard core fans only" territory as we suffer through several tortuously boring tracks, more Antony, and the laughably bad "Declare Independence." The best tracks of "Volta" would have made a pretty formidable EP, but as a full album on the whole it is "Ok" as Bjork noted. Maybe a bit less than OK to be honest, we're back into the clumsy, flailing Post/Homogenic territory which for me falls short of a "good" album. "Volta" is an eclectic bag of tricks that will appeal to some but it is not one of Bjork's outstanding works.

"Volta" also enters the competition for the "worst packaging of all time" award which I will present at the end of my life to one in a room full of artists who think their silly contraptions superior to the beautiful simplicity of the jewel case. But I won't continue my rant about why this digipak sucks, I'll leave some mystery for you the buyer to enjoy.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#380218) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 14, 2011

Review by russellk
2 stars Planet BJORK rolls into town once again for the release of 'Volta' and I guess there's no surprise that it's full of surprises. But after the ethereal, glorious 'Vespertine' and the experimental 'Medulla', what does she have left to give us?

Heartache, that's what. Whatever she has to say is drowned in the music: sampled horns, overbearing electronic percussion. Occasionally this heavy, dull curtain parts and reveals the fragile artists known as BJORK, but then the production takes over again and she is drowning in a sea of sound. Yes, her first three albums were instrumented, but to better effect than this. She wanted energy (hence the title of the album) but she got sludge.

The opener (and lead single) 'Earth Intruders' thunders away, fulfilling a similar role to 'Army of Me' on 'Post' but more unsettling (and interesting). However, the following songs aren't her best work. 'Wanderlust' is overburdened with sound, smothering the otherwise excellent ballad. 'The Dull Flame Of Desire' is impossible to take seriously, as ANTONY, the male vocalist she sings duet with, sounds uncannily like RICHARD CHEESE. Is BJORK telling us she's turning into a parody of herself? And how is this banal cabaret voice in any way suitable for the music or subject matter? The most disastrous BJORK offering since 'It's Oh So Quiet.'

'Innocence' is good fun, a TIMBALAND special. I like his chops but can't help wishing BJORK herself had generated the hi-voltage energy for which this album is named. Give me 'There's More To Life Than This' (from her debut) any day. When she gives her voice some aural space ('I See Who You Are') she ends up not having anything new to say. 'Cocoon' did this better. It's such a shame that the artist capable of producing something like 'Unison' (from 'Vespertine') had delivered something so un-engaging.

And so on. As I listen to song after song I've noticed how little she pushes her voice on this album. The backing music carries all the dynamic. We get a few wails but little of the adventurousness of her previous work. And none of the beauty. 'Pneumonia' is supposed to sound poignant but falls flat. 'Hope' doesn't offer any. And what on earth was she thinking with 'Declare Independence'? Lyrics straight from MUSE, chanted rather than sung in the best punk tradition. Now I know what a female dalek sounds like. Totally unconvincing. And we get more of RICHARD CHEESE to close the album. Yay.

On the cover of 'Vespertine' BJORK wore a swan. On this stunningly awful cover Big Bird is wearing her. A metaphor, perhaps, for the music having taken over? Tracks 1, 2 and 4 into the BJORK playlist, and the others off to the Wilderness of Irrelevant Songs to join - well, hardly any of her previous material.

Send comments to russellk (BETA) | Report this review (#422018) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 24, 2011

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars "Volta" is Bjork's decline in quality after some extremely poor efforts, yet I was really getting into the style on some of the earlier albums. The inconsistency of the material is the problem, some high moments are marred by dreadful moments.

'Earth Intruders' opens the album with robotic rhythms and Bjork's processed vocals "we are the Earth Intruders" heard over and over. It is an up tempo song that starts the album well enough. It has a wonderful ending that sounds like a fleet of ships in the fog sounding off their horns to one another. I like this experimental side of Bjork as long as she contains the weirdness in actual songs and, unlike "Medulla" Bjork is experimental but still utilises very compelling musical arrangements.

The bass synth percussions and brass overwhelm 'Wanderlust' which has Bjork's raw vocals crying out passionately. This one also has an unusual ending with monotone honking horns and eeries whispers over an ocean effect.

The majestic brass sound opens 'The Dull Flame of Desire" and Bjork sings "I love your eyes, my dear, they're splendid sparkling fire". Her sentiments are echoed by a decent singer Anthony Hegarty, from Anthony & The Johnsons, with a voice odd in itself. The duet is quite pleasant at first but goes on too long and Anthony begins to grate on my nerves after a while.

Odd industrial rhythms power 'Innocence' along reminding me of "Homogenic" or earlier Bjork. It is okay showing the experimental Bjork, but not as compelling as others on the album. 'I See Who You Are' has an Oriental sound and quiet Bjork vocals "I see who you are behind the skin and the muscle." This front end vocal is always intimate and certainly the Japanese influences are prevalent on this track. I find it all a bit dull after a while as it just plods along slowly and doesn't progress.

We return to howling wind, oceans and brass on 'Vertebrae by Vertebrae'. Bjork's measured vocals are interesting and I kind of like the odd off sync percussion and nautical atmospheres. I am quite at a loss though as to whether this is a concept album or not as at times it has similar atmospherics but it is not consistent. The lack of melody is a yawnfest and I have trouble listening to this lengthy repetition.

It seems that repetition and no melody is the new Bjork on this album. Yes, there is music, unlike most of "Medulla" but it lacks coherence. 'Pneumonia' is just a brass section and Bjork's almost improvising a rhythmic vocal. Again, the melody is fractured and hard to hook into, and this goes on far too long. 'Hope' returns to Japanese Oriental music and Bjork's voice moving all over the scale, never locking into a melody. It really is too much for me to withstand, and this is becoming a slog now at this stage to get through. Honestly it is fast becoming the worst Bjork album, and a total disappointment after I was beginning to like her on albums such as "Vespertine", "Homogenic" and "Debut".

'Declare Independence' is experimental with fuzzing sonic deep bass, and Bjork emphatically stating "declare independence don't let them do that to you, start your own currency, make your own stamp, protect your language." I like this especially the electronic fuzz and minimalist approach. Bjork sounds like Toyah and I love that style so this is my favourite on the album. When she sings "raise your flag higher" it sounds even more like Toyah; a great innovative song from Bork.

After this 'My Juvenile' ends this album with nice harp chimes, similar to the work on "Vespertine". The emotional piano crashes are augmented by breathy ice vocals, "down the corridor ice and warmth, down the staircase ice and warmth". This ethereal song ends the album on a very downbeat note but it is a nice song, with lots of creative music, and Anthony returns to add some vocals.

Overall, this is a disappointing album, as Bjork attempts to capture some of the style of "Homogenic" and retain the experimental avant garde of "Medulla" but fails on every level. It has some conceptual transitions, fog horns, boats on a sea and nautical effects, and then at other times opts for a Japanese approach, and none of it gels together or makes any sense as a whole album. It is the worst Bjork album thus far, a failed experiment she would never return to, patchy and inconsistent, with only a few tracks to save it from complete disaster.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#792719) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 23, 2012

4 stars I have nearlly completed my Bjork collection, and whenever I can get my hands of Medulla, I will review it. This album saw a slight return to form for Bjork, where Vespertine was a more experimental album that dealt with harmony and melody in an interesting fashion, and Medulla was an album whi ... (read more)

Report this review (#382443) | Posted by arcane-beautiful | Tuesday, January 18, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BJÖRK "Volta"