INTRODUCING SPARKS

3. Ladies (3:06)
4. I`m Not (3:26)
5. Forever Young (3:25)
6. Goofing Off (4:25)
7. Girls On The Brain (3:39)
8. Over The Summer (3:48)
9. Those Mysteries (5:02)

Search SPARKS Introducing Sparks lyrics

Search SPARKS Introducing Sparks tabs

- Russell Mael / vocals
- Ron Mael / arrangements

Other musicians include: Ben Benay, Alan Broadbent, David Foster, Ed Greene, David Paich, Mike Porcaro, Reinie Press, Lee Ritenour, Thom Rotella

Background vocals: Tom Bahler, Al Capps, Stan Farber, Jimmy Haas, Ron Hicklin, Mark Piscitelli, Nick Uhrig

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Introducing Sparks Music

Repertoire 1999
Larry Sparks - Silver Reflections CD US $18.20 Buy It Now 42m
Larry Sparks - Blue Mountain Memories CD US $18.20 Buy It Now 42m 11s
Larry Sparks - Coldest Part Of Winter CD US $18.20 Buy It Now 42m 11s
ANGEL UNCHAINED LP Original Motion Picture Soundtrack with Randy Sparks 1970 AIR US $11.50 [2 bids]
46m 23s
Sparks - Two Hands One Mouth: Live In Europe CD US $23.72 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Melvin Sparks - Groove On Up CD US $18.71 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Through The Sparks - Worm Moon Waning CD US $14.74 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Yellow Red Sparks CD US $14.56 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Sparks The Rescue - Worst Thing IVe Been Cursed With CD US $17.20 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Tim Sparks - Tanz CD US $18.20 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Melissa Hui - And Blue Sparks Burn CD US $20.19 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Larry Sparks - Ramblin Bluegrass CD US $11.81 Buy It Now 1h 34m
MAYLAY SPARKS - FLASKWORTHY NEW CD US $23.06 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Jordin Sparks - Battlefield CD US $10.60 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Yellow Red Sparks - Yellow Red Sparks Vinyl Record LP US $24.90 Buy It Now 1h 54m
SPARKS -12" Single- When I Kiss You (Red Jerry Mix) US $9.93 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Sparks(7" Vinyl)Looks Looks Looks-Island-WIP 6249-UK-Ex/Ex US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
SPARKS A Woofer In Tweeters Clothing RARE JAPAN CD OBI PCCY-00821 US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Jordin Sparks self titled. Good for Rip. US $2.60 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Sparks-Pulling Rabbits Out Of A HAT-orig. press PRISTINE LP NEAR MINT!!w/sleeve! US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Imogen Heap - Sparks CD ALBUM NEW/ MINT (18 AUG) US $18.22 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Imogen Heap - Sparks DELUXE CD ALBUM NEW/ MINT (18 AUG) US $22.53 Buy It Now 3h 7m
SONGS OF THE SHEPHERD Christmas Festival PLU '86 SEALED LP Richard Sparks Harmic US $29.95 Buy It Now 3h 8m
SPARKS - Introducing JAPAN Orig LP 1977 OBI w/ lyric sheet US $42.50 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Imogen Heap - Sparks VINYL LP NEW/ MINT (18 AUG) US $25.68 Buy It Now 3h 11m
indiscreet LP.SPARKS.Vinyl.Very Good US $15.49 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Sparks In Outer Space (CD, Oct-1998, Oglio Records) US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Sparks No. 1 in Heaven (CD, 1995, Oglio) US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Sparks Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat (CD, Oct-1998, Oglio Records) US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Sparks Terminal Jive (CD, Oct-1998, Oglio Records) US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Sparks 1977 Columbia promo 45rpm Over The Summer Ron Mael Russell Mael US $13.50 Buy It Now 3h 52m
Sparks - When I Kiss You (I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) (CD Single 1995) US $8.27 Buy It Now 3h 53m
SPARKS THE RESCUE - EYES TO THE SUN NEW CD US $16.95 Buy It Now 4h
Big Change by Slave to the Squarewave (CD, Oct-2007, Sparks Music) SEALED US $4.99 [0 bids]
JIMMY McGRIFF "State Of The Art" orig '85 Milestone LP (melvin sparks) US $11.99 Buy It Now 4h 28m
MARTIN GORDON CD - THE JOY OF MORE HOGWASH (SPARKS/RADIO STARS) US $9.93 Buy It Now 4h 29m
JORDIN SPARKS - BATTLEFIELD (IMPORT) NEW CD US $38.34 Buy It Now 4h 40m
V.A - Psychedelic Sparks Psy Goa Psytrance US $19.00 Buy It Now 5h
SPARKS " SOMETHING FOR THE GIRL WITH EVERYTHING " ISLAND RECORDS 7" SINGLE 1974 US $4.96 Buy It Now 5h 4m
Sparks - When I Kiss You (Special Collector's Edition 4 track CD single) US $8.27 Buy It Now 5h 15m
SPARKS - EXOTIC CREATURES OF THE DEEP NEW CD US $24.22 Buy It Now 5h 30m
Sparks - Pulling Rabbits Out of A Hat LP 80160 US $0.99 [1 bids]
THROUGH THE SPARKS - ALMANAC (MMX) YEAR OF THE BEASTS NEW CD US $16.95 Buy It Now 5h 40m
RAZZY BAILEY sparks LP Sealed PLP 47 Vinyl 1981 Record US $6.40 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Tim Sparks - Neshamah [CD New] US $16.04 Buy It Now 6h 6m
THE ORB - SPARKS (Ron & Russell Mael) - 2013 Stomp And Stomper MAGAZINE US $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 19m
Sparks Kimono My House 1974 Remaster CD Rock Album 2006 New US $11.59 Buy It Now 6h 27m
SPARKS LARRY - SPECIAL DELIVERY - REBCD1756 US $20.51 Buy It Now 6h 30m
Emits Showers of Sparks Sixteen Deluxe MUSIC CD US $7.87 Buy It Now 6h 32m
Les Rita Mitsouko & The Sparks ** NEAR MINT ** Singing In The Shower - Vinyl US $16.49 Buy It Now 6h 33m
KITTEL JEREMY - CHASING SPARKS - COM45312 US $83.22 Buy It Now 6h 43m
WOODSTAR - LIFE SPARKS - WCLAYCD007 US $13.78 Buy It Now 6h 47m
SPARKS MINTON - SIN SICK - 82527970332 US $18.48 Buy It Now 6h 52m
SPARKS LARRY - JOHN DEERE TRACTOR - REBCD1588 US $19.94 Buy It Now 6h 52m
SPARKS LARRY - LET HIM LEAD YOU - REBCD7527 US $14.42 Buy It Now 6h 53m
Mael Intuition / Best Of Sparks 1974-76 US $11.59 Buy It Now 7h 6m
SPARKS-I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND/ENGLAND ISLAND WIP 6282 UK NM 45 US $66.98 Buy It Now 7h 13m
Transmiticate, Donita Sparks & The Stellar Mome, Good US $6.49 Buy It Now 7h 14m
SPARKS + BIG BEAT + LP + NM+ 1976 US $8.98 [0 bids]
KICK ASS KICK-ASS CD SOUNDTRACK PRODIGY SPARKS DICKIES PRIMAL SCREAM ELVIS US $7.94 Buy It Now 7h 50m
RANDY SPARKS "BIRMINGHAM TRAIN" RARE 1959 VERVE 10191 LQQQK!! US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h
Sparks - In Outer Space [CD New] US $15.89 Buy It Now 8h 10m
Jordin Sparks, Jordin Sparks Audio CD US $4.79 Buy It Now 8h 11m
Chrissy Sparks-1983 magazine picture US $8.27 Buy It Now 8h 12m
Sparks,Jordin - Jordin Sparks ---FREE SHIPPING!!! NEW NEW NEW !!!!!!! US $5.99 Buy It Now 8h 55m
THE SPARKS WHEN I KISS YOU 12" SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 7m
SINGING SAM & THE SPARKS -Daybreak-Rare Funk Soul 45-HONEY RECORDS #1472 US $59.99 Buy It Now 9h 13m
Clinton Sparks Run This City / Whatever It Takes 12" Single NM 2 copies PROMO US $8.95 Buy It Now 9h 30m
Ted Koltowicz and the Sparks Of Fire Orch. The Dancing Boots IRM Records Polka! US $9.95 Buy It Now 9h 40m
HAMPENBERG Ducktoy CD 5 Tracks, Clean Vocal Cut/Waterboy & Sparks Remix/Vocal C US $5.39 Buy It Now 9h 43m
Graham Parker 3 LP Lot Squeezing Out Sparks,Stick to Me,The Up Escalator. US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 44m
GRAHAM PARKER AND THE RUMOUR LIVE SPARKS PROMO LP US $11.01 Buy It Now 9h 48m
JORDIN SPARKS Battlefield CD 14 Track Album, 88697 55848 2 US $7.87 Buy It Now 10h 2m
JORDIN SPARKS Jordin Sparks CD 13 Track Album (Disc Ex- Some Light Surface Mark US $7.05 Buy It Now 10h 2m
Sixteen Deluxe - Emits Showers of Sparks {Shoegaze-Grunge-Pop} US $0.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS---INDISCREET US $7.00 [0 bids]
SPARKS---INTRODUCING US $7.00 [0 bids]
SPARKS - KIMONO MY HOUSE , ISLAND 1974 , EX/EX ,LP US $18.98 Buy It Now 10h 13m
Until Morning/Come Out of the Dark [Digipak] * by Tori Sparks (CD, Aug-2011,... US $16.25 Buy It Now 10h 16m
GRAHAM PARKER---SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS US $5.00 [0 bids]
HALLOCK / SPARKS / CHORAL ARTS NORTHWEST - CATHEDRAL ANTHEMS NEW CD US $23.82 Buy It Now 10h 39m
Indiscreet Sparks Audio CD US $14.47 Buy It Now 10h 39m
SPARKS-WHEN I KISS YOU 5 MIXES M- UK rock 12" US $11.98 Buy It Now 10h 42m
SPARKS Barbecutie / This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both ISLAND 6193 RARE ROCK 45 US $7.99 Buy It Now 10h 44m
THE NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS - RAMBLIN, DIRECTION OF RANDY SPARKS; VERY GOOD+ US $0.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS - DICK AROUND (EP) NEW CD US $16.95 Buy It Now 10h 49m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Introducing Sparks ratings distribution

SPARKS Introducing Sparks reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Let's do some more Sparks, shall we? After breaking with their backing band on Big Beat, Mael brothers apparently felt that they needed a new introduction...hence the release of Introducing Sparks!

The success streak that began with the release of Kimono My House (1974) and Propaganda (1974) began to fade with Indiscreet (1975) and Big Beat (1976). 1977 saw the duo trying to revitalize their sound and Introducing Sparks was a sort of a fresh start for the brothers and their new lineup of various session musicians would have needed. Unfortunately, this new approach turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment since the album failed to chart on both sides of Atlantic and thus fading the record into obscurity. I think that this was unfair since there are quite a few enjoyable Sparks tracks featuring on this album like A Big Surprise, Forever Young and the hilarious Goofing Off!

This record is a lot more relaxed compared to their earlier material, featuring a lush and elegant sound. There are of course a few exceptions like Occupation and Forever Young, which could have easily fit on Propaganda, but other than that this is a pretty consistent record in terms of sound. This consistency is non-existent when it comes to the quality of the songs since there are both big hits and even bigger misses. Goofing Off is easily my favorite track off the record, featuring a very memorable melody and a lot of pretty funny lyrics to back it up! At the other end of the spectrum we have I'm Not, which might have been a pretty decent song but fails to deliver a memorable chorus, and Girls On The Brain, which is a complete snoozefest!

Overall, Introducing Sparks might not be the most consistent record that Sparks have ever recorded but there are just enough memorable moments to make this a worth a while experience even for people who aren't all that familiar with the band.

***** star songs: A Big Surprise (3:43) Goofing Off (4:25)

**** star songs: Occupation (5:14) Ladies (3:06) Forever Young (3:25) Over The Summer (3:48) Those Mysteries (5:02)

*** star songs: I'm Not (3:26)

** star songs: Girls On The Brain (3:39)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#1100889) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars It would be hard to imagine a Sparks album less in tune with 1977 than this one is. This album sold horrendously, was savaged by critics, and for years remained the only 70s Sparks album unavailable on CD (and when Sparks finally got around to issuing it on their own label in 2007, they used a vinyl LP rather than the master tapes as the source). The album cover is barf-inducing (though I have to imagine this was done on purpose; the idea of putting Ron Mael on a cover, dressed like that, using that font, and with THAT MUSTACHE, is ludicrous enough that they had to be aware of this), the sound produced by the army of session musicians is slick in a way that befits all bad stereotypes of late 70s AOR, and it doesn't even have a stupidly off-kilter mix along the lines of Big Beat to make it stand out. It's an album whose primary purpose seems to be hated by fans and ignored by everybody else.

Well, I'm probably a dolt, and because of this I like pretty much every song on here (I guess I'm not really that thrilled with with "I'm Not" or "Girls on the Brain" but I still find them interesting). I don't think I love any of them, but underneath the sheen of slick session work there are fun and memorable melodies, odd topics in the lyrics, and fascinating mishmashes of styles (in other words, the staples of Sparks at their best). One odd feature that makes a repeated appearance is a sudden interest in taking on (superficial) aspects of the Beach Boys in the vocals; "A Big Surprise," "Ladies" and especially "Over the Summer" sound unnervingly like the cliched version of the band that the Beach Boys were in the process of becoming (which wouldn't reach full flight until later), and while it's a little weird that Ron and Russell would want to start aping them in 1977, when the Beach Boys were no longer remotely cool, it's a fun additional detail. "A Big Surprise" also immediately shows that Ron's keyboards are going to be an important part of the band's sound again, and the mix of these fun lyrics (best lines: "Somebody told me how the motion picture would end/I turned and glared at them/And then I read the way the world was going to end/With a whimpering sound, not a banging away/I'm sorry I gave it away") with that stupendous vocal melody (the twist in the chorus is also glorious) is enough to put me in a great mood right away. "Ladies" is a tribute to all of the various ladies in Ron's life, such as Dinah Shore, Sara Lee and Betty Crocker, and while there's nothing remotely serious about the song, I find it to be a crack-up. And "Over the Summer," which milks the Beach Boys harmony style best of all, is a reminiscience of those great times in high school when you'd come back from summer vacation and find that lots of girls had managed to blossom since you'd last seen them, and the song feels like, with a little bit of tweaking, it could have fit into one of the early Beach Boys albums just fine.

On side one, the best of the three unmentioned tracks is "Occupation," a speedy rocker (with an odd keyboard sound fading in and out) that gives Russell a chance to sing Ron's 4- line musings about a whole bunch of different professions. Sample lyrics: "We pilots take you anywhere/We'll be your father in the air/We'll try to look calm and cool/But we're as scared as all of you." "I'm Not" is an oddly constructed combination of a lumbering rhythm section (the Big Beat mix would be VERY beneficial here, but alas the drums aren't as loud as they should be) and lighter harmonies, and it's kind of a mess, but it's a mess I never find myself skipping over. "Forever Young," which closes out the side, isn't quite on the level of the Dylan song it's clearly referencing, but it's fun to have a return to some of the glam aspects (in the guitars) of the '74 albums, and the voice-of-God proclamations from Russell right before the last verse help make this into a great pisstake on generic 70s anthems.

On side two, aside from "Over the Summer" and "Girls on the Brain" (Sparks doing a bluesy number about the way you could expect Sparks to, with lyrics that are about what you would expect from a Sparks song with that title), there are a couple of really nice numbers in "Goofing Off" and "Those Mysteries." "Goofing Off" is a song about taking full advantage of the weekend, set to a nagging melody that's ambiguously ethnic (mostly Jewish in the tune but with a pseudo-Greek rhythm) and chock-full of the kinds of silly hooks that I'm always a sucker for. And finally, "Those Mysteries" is a surprisingly tender and nostalgic glimpse at the life of a young kid who has questions about everything in the universe (and certainly more than their dad would want to answer), and just like with "Miss the Start, Miss the End," it shows that Sparks could balance the silly and snide with the emotionally earnest just fine if they wanted to. The music is very conventional, but it's lovely nonetheless, and Russell's vocal delivery is just swell.

This isn't a remotely important album by any means, and the legacy of Sparks wouldn't suffer at all if the band had somehow jumped directly from Big Beat to No. 1 in Heaven without recording this in between, but it deserves a better reputation than it's had since its release. Making another album like this probably would have been a really bad idea, though, and I'm glad they went for something so different with the next album.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1140256) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 01, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Introducing Sparks"