INTRODUCING SPARKS

3. Ladies (3:06)
4. I`m Not (3:26)
5. Forever Young (3:25)
6. Goofing Off (4:25)
7. Girls On The Brain (3:39)
8. Over The Summer (3:48)
9. Those Mysteries (5:02)

Search SPARKS Introducing Sparks lyrics

Search SPARKS Introducing Sparks tabs

- Russell Mael / vocals
- Ron Mael / arrangements

Other musicians include: Ben Benay, Alan Broadbent, David Foster, Ed Greene, David Paich, Mike Porcaro, Reinie Press, Lee Ritenour, Thom Rotella

Background vocals: Tom Bahler, Al Capps, Stan Farber, Jimmy Haas, Ron Hicklin, Mark Piscitelli, Nick Uhrig

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Introducing Sparks Music

Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Fontana Island 2006
Mael Intuition: Best Of 1974-76Mael Intuition: Best Of 1974-76
Universal I.S. 1990
Sparks live concert London 20th December 1995 repro poster A5 size bw US $25.40 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Jordin Sparks : Jordin Sparks CD (2008) US $3.93 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Sparks - Mael Intuition: Best Of 1974-76 (NEW CD) US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
20 song BLUEGRASS ORIGINALS V2 country gentlemen JD CROWE larry sparks NEW TAPE US $4.88 [0 bids]
BLUEGRASS INSTRUMENTAL sparks MARTIN stanley br NU TAPE US $3.88 [0 bids]
Sparks - No. 1 Song In Heaven [ECD] (CD 1999) NEW US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 19m
SPARKS WHEN I KISS YOU remixes CD Sealed 6 Trk US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 21m
SPARKS - Beat The clock - Excellent Condition 7" Single US $6.76 Buy It Now 2h 57m
LONESOME BLUEGRASS larry sparks BILL CLIFTON mac wiseman COUNTRY GENTLEMEN nu cd US $7.88 [0 bids]
SPARKS larry & lonesome ramblers/BLUEGRASS kentucky chimes DARK HOLLOW new cd US $7.88 [0 bids]
SPARKS larry/kentucky banjo GOODBYE LITTLE DARLIN' too much mountain dew NEW CD US $7.88 [0 bids]
LOU & MAXINE - LITTLE DONKEY / LOU SPARKS - HOPE AND JOY US $3.99 [0 bids]
Graham Parker & The Rumour - Squeezing Out Sparks - Arista 1979 Brinsley Schwarz US $10.99 Buy It Now 4h 3m
~ SPARKS - EXOTIC CREATURES OF THE DEEP ~ MUSIC CD US $6.89 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Sparks, Roy Wood, Trammps, Jim Capaldi etc - Music Express - TE702 (LP) US $1.68 Buy It Now 4h 19m
MARK SPARKS - FANTASIE CD Clinton Adams Flute/Piano Classical 16 Tracks NEW US $4.95 Buy It Now 4h 56m
Sixteen Deluxe - Emits Showers of Sparks {Shoegaze-Grunge-Pop} US $0.99 [0 bids]
sparks - big beat (US)1976 LP col pc 34359 timing strip wlp vinyl NM US $10.00 [0 bids]
Crowley,Adrian - Season Of The Sparks [CD New] US $14.70 Buy It Now 5h 32m
Sparks - History Of The Sparks French LP Album US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 40m
Sparks All You Ever Think About Is Sex extenfed Fra 12" US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 40m
Sparks Fingertips 2 mixes, The Scene Us 12" US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Sparks I Predict Club , Singles Mixes RARE US DJ 12" US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Sparks Indiscreet US Lp US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Sparks Rosebud 2 mixes Uk 12" US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Sparks When Do I Get My Way US DJ 12" US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Trevor Sparks "Touch Of Class" Reggae LP Blue Trac US $7.99 [0 bids]
Trevor Sparks/Little Kirk "Youth & Youth" Reggae LP Barry U. US $7.99 [1 bids]
Sparks When Do I Get To Sing My Way Double Dj Uk 12" US $22.99 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Sparks When I Kiss You 5 mixes Usa 12" US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 48m
Sparks When I Kiss You 5 mixes Usa Dj 12" US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 48m
Sparks With All My Might US DJ 12" US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Sparks Young Girls, Beat The Clock EP US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Sparks Young Girls, Just Because You Love Me EP US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Jordin Sparks Tattoo remixes VINYL Jason Nevins Future Presidents Tonal Grayson US $10.99 Buy It Now 6h 2m
SPARKS - PROGRESS/IN THE DARK/WITH ALL MY MIGHT- U.S. PROMO 12" VINYL US $4.98 Buy It Now 6h 13m
SPARKS - MUSIC THAT YOU CAN DANCE TO - U.S. 12" VINYL US $4.98 Buy It Now 6h 15m
SPARKS - MUSIC THAT YOU CAN DANCE TO - U.S. PROMO 12" US $4.98 Buy It Now 6h 39m
Sparks Fly Miranda Cosgrove CD New still sealed US $6.49 Buy It Now 6h 53m
New, TESLA - Black Globe Sparks VINYL STICKER Decal US $2.86 Buy It Now 6h 56m
The Best Of Sparks LP US $8.00 [0 bids]
Beachwood Sparks FARMER DAVE SCHER Bab'lone Nights ONLY 500 Made 7 INCH VINYL US $39.99 Buy It Now 7h 44m
SPARKS - WITH ALL MY MIGHT - U.S. PROMO 12" VINYL US $4.98 Buy It Now 8h 5m
Sparks - Sparks - 1972 US Bearsville LP - Opened Shrink - Lyric Insert US $42.36 Buy It Now 8h 18m
SPARKS PRETENDING TO BE DRUNK 45 PROMO VG++ POP 1984 US $1.29 [0 bids]
GREG & REBECCA SPARKS - Field of Your Soul (CD 1993) BASH N THE CODE Etcetera US $2.99 [0 bids]
Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins by Sparks (CD, Feb-1995, Lil Beethoven) US $20.39 Buy It Now 9h 9m
SPARKS Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat Orig 1984 Vinyl LP NM w/Lyric Sleeve US $6.99 Buy It Now 9h 24m
SPARKS - So Important SEALED 12" VINYL SINGLE US $12.91 Buy It Now 9h 36m
Jordin Sparks Battlefield CD '09 US $5.00 Buy It Now 9h 43m
LES RITA MITSOUKO /SPARKS-Singing in The Shower-W ORBIT US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 36m
SPARKS THE RESCUE - EYES TO THE SUN [SPARKS THE RESCUE] - NEW CD US $8.22 Buy It Now 10h 44m
LARRY SPARKS - KENTUCKY BANJO - NEW CD US $3.47 Buy It Now 10h 46m
SPARKS Alabamy Right/Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth 45 RPM Island Records US $8.00 Buy It Now 10h 49m
(CP762) Christopher Rees & The South Austin Horns, Sparks Flying - 2011 DJ CD US $5.07 Buy It Now 11h
GLEAMING SPIRES LP Welcoming A New Ice Age SPARKS Tabb '85 orig w/lyric insert!! US $24.00 Buy It Now 11h 30m
RARE FIND, THE NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS, VINTAGE VINYL LP CL 1941 Randy Sparks VG+ US $4.00 [0 bids]
Adrian Crowley "Season of the Sparks" cd US $8.99 Buy It Now 11h 34m
Loveless 688610001022 Orbiter/Sparks On A String/Compact Disc/Rare/Hard To Find US $9.95 [0 bids]
SPARKS - MAEL INTUITION: THE BEST OF SPARKS 1974-1976 - NEW CD US $6.79 Buy It Now 11h 41m
DENNIS W. SPARKS - Heaven's Horn (Cassette) US $3.99 Buy It Now 11h 49m
JIMMY McGRIFF "Blues Bone" orig '88 Milestone LP (bernard purdie/melvin sparks) US $9.89 Buy It Now 11h 49m
The Tarnished Gold [Digipak] by Beachwood Sparks (CD, Jun-2012, Sub Pop (USA)) US $5.00 [0 bids]
Sparks All You Ever Think About Is Sex 7" 45 Atlantic 7-89797 1983 Vinyl US $3.74 Buy It Now 12h 26m
JORDIN SPARKS - Battlefield (+2 Bonus Tracks) KOREA CD *SEALED* US $9.79 Buy It Now 12h 39m
SPARKS: Get In the swing / Profile 7" SG Spanish 45 ARIOLA 1975 US $30.00 Buy It Now 12h 43m
SPARKS - Progress dj 12" ep Atlantic US $4.99 Buy It Now 12h 53m
LES RITA MITSOUKO & SPARKS: Singing In The Shower (rock & pop vinyl 12) US $15.00 Buy It Now 13h 12m
Omillio Sparks : Pay Back CD (2007) US $4.98 Buy It Now 13h 13m
ROLLING STONES SPARKS WILL FLY-CD US $0.99 [2 bids]
SPARKS PROPAGANDA 1974 VINYL RECORD STERLING PRESS MAEL NEW WAVE PROTOPUNK GLAM US $7.99 [0 bids]
BEACHWOOD SPARKS - S/T - CD SUB POP LAMBCHOP SHINS APPLES IN STEREO US $6.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS BEAT THE CLOCK / TRYOUTS FOR THE HUMAN RACE 12" VINYL RECORD US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 30m
Sparks? Tryouts For The Human Race BLUE VINYL 12" RECORD US $19.99 Buy It Now 13h 30m
SPARKS BEAT THE CLOCK / TRYOUTS FOR THE HUMAN RACE PROMO 12" VINYL RECORD US $19.99 Buy It Now 13h 30m
Sparks Music That You Can Dance To UK REMIX 12" VINYL RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 30m
Scottie Sparks : Scottie Sparks CD (1999) US $13.51 Buy It Now 13h 32m
SPARKS PROPAGANDA JAPAN LIMITED SHM MINI LP CD NEW OUT OF PRINT UICY-94099 US $56.39 Buy It Now 13h 37m
Mystic Chords of Memory S/T NEW Beachwood Sparks ships Fast not a promo US $3.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS - BIG BEAT [BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $11.77 Buy It Now 13h 46m
SPARKS - IN OUTER SPACE - NEW CD US $11.01 Buy It Now 13h 53m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $6.99 [0 bids]
ADRIAN CROWLEY - SEASON OF THE SPARKS [DIGIPAK] * - NEW CD US $10.67 Buy It Now 14h 18m
LARRY SPARKS AND THE LONESOME RAMBLERS KING BLUE GRASS RECORDS 1ST P LP US $14.99 Buy It Now 14h 21m
Sparks : Balls CD (2000) US $13.65 Buy It Now 14h 34m
Sparks - A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing - Bearsville 12" Vinyl LP - 1973 - NM- US $19.99 [0 bids]
Sparks- Music You Can Dance To- new/sealed cassette tape US $6.00 Buy It Now 15h 5m
MIRANDA COSGROVE Sparks Fly CD 2010 iCarly interest Kissin' U US $7.95 Buy It Now 15h 32m
(CB212) Tommy Sparks, She's Got Me Dancing - 2009 DJ CD US $4.66 Buy It Now 15h 36m
SPARKS PROPAGANDA LP ILPS9312 '74 vinyl +lyric orig 1st glam rock rare! US $55.00 Buy It Now 16h 17m
SPARKS Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat SEALED 1981 LP Atlantic SYNTH POP US $19.95 [0 bids]
EDITORS - ALL SPARKS - 2006 CD [5413356064322] US $6.99 Buy It Now 17h 53m
EDITORS All Sparks CD w CICADA REMIX & video + From The Outside htf / oop US $14.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS Kimono My House LP UK ISLAND PINK RIM & INNER RARE 1ST PRESSING A2 / B1 US $38.96 Buy It Now 19h 4m
Hank Crawford * Down On The Deuce * NM / EXC Bernard Purdie Melvin Sparks US $6.76 Buy It Now 19h 30m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Introducing Sparks ratings distribution

SPARKS Introducing Sparks reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Let's do some more Sparks, shall we? After breaking with their backing band on Big Beat, Mael brothers apparently felt that they needed a new introduction...hence the release of Introducing Sparks!

The success streak that began with the release of Kimono My House (1974) and Propaganda (1974) began to fade with Indiscreet (1975) and Big Beat (1976). 1977 saw the duo trying to revitalize their sound and Introducing Sparks was a sort of a fresh start for the brothers and their new lineup of various session musicians would have needed. Unfortunately, this new approach turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment since the album failed to chart on both sides of Atlantic and thus fading the record into obscurity. I think that this was unfair since there are quite a few enjoyable Sparks tracks featuring on this album like A Big Surprise, Forever Young and the hilarious Goofing Off!

This record is a lot more relaxed compared to their earlier material, featuring a lush and elegant sound. There are of course a few exceptions like Occupation and Forever Young, which could have easily fit on Propaganda, but other than that this is a pretty consistent record in terms of sound. This consistency is non-existent when it comes to the quality of the songs since there are both big hits and even bigger misses. Goofing Off is easily my favorite track off the record, featuring a very memorable melody and a lot of pretty funny lyrics to back it up! At the other end of the spectrum we have I'm Not, which might have been a pretty decent song but fails to deliver a memorable chorus, and Girls On The Brain, which is a complete snoozefest!

Overall, Introducing Sparks might not be the most consistent record that Sparks have ever recorded but there are just enough memorable moments to make this a worth a while experience even for people who aren't all that familiar with the band.

***** star songs: A Big Surprise (3:43) Goofing Off (4:25)

**** star songs: Occupation (5:14) Ladies (3:06) Forever Young (3:25) Over The Summer (3:48) Those Mysteries (5:02)

*** star songs: I'm Not (3:26)

** star songs: Girls On The Brain (3:39)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#1100889) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars It would be hard to imagine a Sparks album less in tune with 1977 than this one is. This album sold horrendously, was savaged by critics, and for years remained the only 70s Sparks album unavailable on CD (and when Sparks finally got around to issuing it on their own label in 2007, they used a vinyl LP rather than the master tapes as the source). The album cover is barf-inducing (though I have to imagine this was done on purpose; the idea of putting Ron Mael on a cover, dressed like that, using that font, and with THAT MUSTACHE, is ludicrous enough that they had to be aware of this), the sound produced by the army of session musicians is slick in a way that befits all bad stereotypes of late 70s AOR, and it doesn't even have a stupidly off-kilter mix along the lines of Big Beat to make it stand out. It's an album whose primary purpose seems to be hated by fans and ignored by everybody else.

Well, I'm probably a dolt, and because of this I like pretty much every song on here (I guess I'm not really that thrilled with with "I'm Not" or "Girls on the Brain" but I still find them interesting). I don't think I love any of them, but underneath the sheen of slick session work there are fun and memorable melodies, odd topics in the lyrics, and fascinating mishmashes of styles (in other words, the staples of Sparks at their best). One odd feature that makes a repeated appearance is a sudden interest in taking on (superficial) aspects of the Beach Boys in the vocals; "A Big Surprise," "Ladies" and especially "Over the Summer" sound unnervingly like the cliched version of the band that the Beach Boys were in the process of becoming (which wouldn't reach full flight until later), and while it's a little weird that Ron and Russell would want to start aping them in 1977, when the Beach Boys were no longer remotely cool, it's a fun additional detail. "A Big Surprise" also immediately shows that Ron's keyboards are going to be an important part of the band's sound again, and the mix of these fun lyrics (best lines: "Somebody told me how the motion picture would end/I turned and glared at them/And then I read the way the world was going to end/With a whimpering sound, not a banging away/I'm sorry I gave it away") with that stupendous vocal melody (the twist in the chorus is also glorious) is enough to put me in a great mood right away. "Ladies" is a tribute to all of the various ladies in Ron's life, such as Dinah Shore, Sara Lee and Betty Crocker, and while there's nothing remotely serious about the song, I find it to be a crack-up. And "Over the Summer," which milks the Beach Boys harmony style best of all, is a reminiscience of those great times in high school when you'd come back from summer vacation and find that lots of girls had managed to blossom since you'd last seen them, and the song feels like, with a little bit of tweaking, it could have fit into one of the early Beach Boys albums just fine.

On side one, the best of the three unmentioned tracks is "Occupation," a speedy rocker (with an odd keyboard sound fading in and out) that gives Russell a chance to sing Ron's 4- line musings about a whole bunch of different professions. Sample lyrics: "We pilots take you anywhere/We'll be your father in the air/We'll try to look calm and cool/But we're as scared as all of you." "I'm Not" is an oddly constructed combination of a lumbering rhythm section (the Big Beat mix would be VERY beneficial here, but alas the drums aren't as loud as they should be) and lighter harmonies, and it's kind of a mess, but it's a mess I never find myself skipping over. "Forever Young," which closes out the side, isn't quite on the level of the Dylan song it's clearly referencing, but it's fun to have a return to some of the glam aspects (in the guitars) of the '74 albums, and the voice-of-God proclamations from Russell right before the last verse help make this into a great pisstake on generic 70s anthems.

On side two, aside from "Over the Summer" and "Girls on the Brain" (Sparks doing a bluesy number about the way you could expect Sparks to, with lyrics that are about what you would expect from a Sparks song with that title), there are a couple of really nice numbers in "Goofing Off" and "Those Mysteries." "Goofing Off" is a song about taking full advantage of the weekend, set to a nagging melody that's ambiguously ethnic (mostly Jewish in the tune but with a pseudo-Greek rhythm) and chock-full of the kinds of silly hooks that I'm always a sucker for. And finally, "Those Mysteries" is a surprisingly tender and nostalgic glimpse at the life of a young kid who has questions about everything in the universe (and certainly more than their dad would want to answer), and just like with "Miss the Start, Miss the End," it shows that Sparks could balance the silly and snide with the emotionally earnest just fine if they wanted to. The music is very conventional, but it's lovely nonetheless, and Russell's vocal delivery is just swell.

This isn't a remotely important album by any means, and the legacy of Sparks wouldn't suffer at all if the band had somehow jumped directly from Big Beat to No. 1 in Heaven without recording this in between, but it deserves a better reputation than it's had since its release. Making another album like this probably would have been a really bad idea, though, and I'm glad they went for something so different with the next album.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1140256) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 01, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Introducing Sparks"