INTRODUCING SPARKS

3. Ladies (3:06)
4. I`m Not (3:26)
5. Forever Young (3:25)
6. Goofing Off (4:25)
7. Girls On The Brain (3:39)
8. Over The Summer (3:48)
9. Those Mysteries (5:02)

Search SPARKS Introducing Sparks lyrics

Search SPARKS Introducing Sparks tabs

- Russell Mael / vocals
- Ron Mael / arrangements

Other musicians include: Ben Benay, Alan Broadbent, David Foster, Ed Greene, David Paich, Mike Porcaro, Reinie Press, Lee Ritenour, Thom Rotella

Background vocals: Tom Bahler, Al Capps, Stan Farber, Jimmy Haas, Ron Hicklin, Mark Piscitelli, Nick Uhrig

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Introducing Sparks Music

Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Fontana Island 2006
Larry Sparks - John Deere Tractor (NEW CD) US $19.85 Buy It Now 32m 53s
Minton Sparks - Sin Sick (NEW CD) US $19.04 Buy It Now 41m 58s
JIM WILSON LP Vinyl DANIEL LANOIS Sparks MOTHER SUPERIOR Emmylou Harris ROLLINS US $9.99 Buy It Now 42m 17s
Minton Sparks - This Dress (NEW CD) US $19.04 Buy It Now 42m 40s
Larry Sparks - 40 (NEW CD) US $19.85 Buy It Now 53m 11s
Larry Sparks - The Coldest Part Of Winter (NEW CD) US $19.85 Buy It Now 53m 25s
Disconet - Volume 7 Program 2- Sparks/Alides Hiding- 12" Disc one only US $2.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS larry & lonesome ramblers/BLUEGRASS kentucky chimes DARK HOLLOW new tape US $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 27m
SPARKS 7"single TRYOUTS FOR THE HUMAN RACE US $5.51 Buy It Now 1h 39m
12 Mixes Sparks E452100 Audio CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Sparks; Williams; Duraleigh...-Das Lied Von Der Erde CD NEW US $15.69 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Phyllis Taylor Sparks-Heart Strings CD NEW US $13.04 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Phyllis Taylor Sparks and t...-I Remember You CD NEW US $13.04 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Phyllis Taylor Sparks-Celtic Harp Sparks! CD NEW US $13.04 Buy It Now 2h 29m
CARTER / MACHOVER / MELBY /...-RICONOSCENZA / HIDDEN SPARKS / CTO FO... CD NEW US $19.56 Buy It Now 2h 30m
LARRY SPARKS Blue Mountain Memories Danny Boy Stone Wall Gospel Train Willie Roy US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
SPARKS - KIMONO MY HOUSE - LP - ISLAND PINK RIM ORIGINAL -1974 US $7.77 [1 bids]
SPARKS - The Number One Song In Heaven (UK 2 Tk 1972 7" Single PS) US $4.85 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Sparks, Sparks, Good US $11.97 Buy It Now 2h 45m
SPARKS Withdrawn UK 45 I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND / ENGLAND US $59.77 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Rock Promo NM! 45 SPARKS AND JANE WIEDLIN Cool Places on Atlantic (promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Awana Sparks Skipper handbook music CD US $2.00 [0 bids]
Sparks - Music That You Can Dance To - 1986 #246575 US $6.47 Buy It Now 3h 13m
SPARKS " WHEN DO I GET TO SING MY WAY " CD SINGLE VERY GOOD US $5.66 Buy It Now 3h 33m
propaganda sparks 8 track music tape nos sealed US $5.00 [0 bids]
Sparks-Pulling Rabbits Out Of A HAT-orig. press PRISTINE LP NEAR MINT!!w/sleeve! US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 53m
Tommy Sparks - Tommy Sparks (CD 2009) NEW US $16.20 Buy It Now 3h 53m
Sparks ?- Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth - ex Yugoslavia US $19.00 Buy It Now 4h 34m
RANDY SPARKS ep SOUTH COAST +3 argentina ID# 31069 PICTURE SLEEVE/ORIGINAL ORFEO US $22.00 Buy It Now 4h 43m
THE MINSTRELS 7" VERDE-PASEANDO argentina ID# 45155 PICTURE SLEEVE-RANDY SPARKS US $24.00 Buy It Now 4h 55m
SPARKS Indiscreet cassette 1975 US $16.22 [0 bids]
SPARKS + BIG BEAT + LP + NM+ 1976 US $8.98 [0 bids]
Sparks [Digipak] by Imogen Heap (CD, Aug-2014, RCA) US $12.52 [0 bids]
Sparks - No. 1 in Heaven (2000) Repertoire US $11.34 [0 bids]
Chris C & Dmf - Sparks Fly - Mom2 Records #105243 US $6.47 Buy It Now 6h
Sparks - Big Beat (1994) US $11.34 [0 bids]
SPARKS, NO 1 IN HEAVEN, RARE 1979 VINYL ALBUM EXCELLENT+ COVER, NEAR MINT VINYL US $16.20 [0 bids]
The, Spirit Valentine,CD,Shower Of Sparks,Blemish on from Cover,Shower Of Sparks US $9.49 Buy It Now 6h 4m
SPARKS 7" THIS TOWN AINT BIG ENOUGH FOR BOTH OF US WLBL US $29.75 Buy It Now 6h 5m
Sparks - Rosebud (Extended Dance Mix) 12" Single 1987 US $1.61 [0 bids]
PATRIK TANNER & And THE FARAWAY MEN Sparks Would Fly CD US $40.48 Buy It Now 6h 18m
SPARKS " KIMONO MY HOUSE "SUPER UK PINK RIM ISLAND LP WITH LYRIC INNER US $6.47 [0 bids]
miranda cosgrove sparks fly cd sealed, make an offer US $15.99 [0 bids]
Biba: Champagne & Novocaine 2004 UK 5-track promo sampler CD Roxy Music Sparks US $8.09 [0 bids]
Sparks - Beat The Clock US $4.05 Buy It Now 7h 16m
Rare SPARKS (LP) "Whomp That Sucker" (RCA) .. original 1981 .. STILL SEALED! US $12.99 [0 bids]
Thousand Foot Krutch - Let the Sparks Fly - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! Card Sleeve US $9.72 Buy It Now 7h 18m
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Jan-2000, Columbia (USA)) US $3.75 [0 bids]
SPARKS-MODESTY PLAYS SHRT & LONG VERSION CARRERE 13001 FRANCE NM/VG+ 45+PS US $6.98 Buy It Now 7h 29m
(42L) Jason Sparks ft Benjamin Vial & Kahyene, - DJ CD US $4.85 Buy It Now 7h 51m
SPARKS---PULLING RABBITS OUT OF A HAT US $6.00 [0 bids]
FURTHER Overrated 7" + INSERT Vinyl TYDE shoegaze BEACHWOOD SPARKS Velvet Crush US $6.00 [0 bids]
8h
Imogen Heap - Sparks [CD New] US $14.45 Buy It Now 8h 12m
Imogen Heap - Sparks [CD New] US $12.38 Buy It Now 8h 12m
MAPS ?- LOST MY SOUL - SPARKS IN THE SNOW * 10 VINYL EP LTD * MINT * CONDITION * US $14.58 Buy It Now 8h 21m
Sparks Street * by Love Huskies (CD, Aug-1998, Gotham Distributing Corp.) US $0.67 [0 bids]
DJ Sparks Hot Lava EP 12" Yaw Records 1993 HARDCORE US $19.44 Buy It Now 9h
SPARKS: Pulling Rabbit Out Of A Hat LP ATLANTIC RECORDS 7801601 US 1984 NM US $14.39 Buy It Now 9h 11m
(DU826) Woodstar, Life Sparks - 2003 DJ CD US $9.89 Buy It Now 9h 14m
The Country Gentlemen Ralph Stanley Larry Sparks Christmas Time Back Home US $15.00 Buy It Now 9h 36m
Sparks - music that you can dance to - Magic #623620 US $6.47 Buy It Now 9h 58m
Maylay Sparks - Legacy - Rapster - 2004 #130238 US $6.47 Buy It Now 9h 58m
Ruben Sparks - Put Me Down - Stick Records #258695 US $6.47 Buy It Now 9h 58m
JORDIN SPARKS - BATTLEFIELD -2 TRACK AUSTRALIAN CD- (EXCELLENT CONDITION) US $1.35 Buy It Now 10h 14m
JORDIN SPARKS - BATTLEFIELD CD ALBUM AUSTRALIA ~ LIKE NEW MINT ! US $8.98 Buy It Now 10h 34m
NM LP~GRAHAM PARKER~Squeezing Out Sparks~{Original 1979 ARISTA~PROMO Issue]~ US $2.97 Buy It Now 10h 47m
THROUGH THE SPARKS-LAZARUS BEACH (DIG) CD NEW US $14.91 Buy It Now 10h 50m
(AI569) Seafood, Signal Sparks - DJ CD US $4.85 Buy It Now 10h 59m
Larry Sparks - Almost Home [CD New] US $11.88 Buy It Now 11h
Adrian Crowley - Seaspm Of Sparks [CD New] US $13.41 Buy It Now 11h
Royksopp - Sparks - Wall Of Sound - 2003 #105559 US $6.47 Buy It Now 11h 5m
JORDIN SPARKS CHRIS BROWN "NO AIR" CD SINGLE AUSTRALIA RARE 2007 US $9.02 Buy It Now 11h 51m
JORDIN SPARKS "TATTOO" CD SINGLE AUSTRALIA RARE 2008 american idol US $9.02 Buy It Now 11h 53m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $1.50 [0 bids]
Sparks - Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat - Atlantic Vinyl LP - 1984 - NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Jan-2000, Columbia (USA)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
BLITZ Compilation LP Record BOW WOW WOW SPARKS PROMO US $19.88 Buy It Now 12h 17m
SPARKS - #1 IN HEAVEN NEW CD US $16.41 Buy It Now 12h 30m
TIM SPARKS - LITTLE PRINCESS: TIM SPARKS PLAYS NAFTULE NEW CD US $21.23 Buy It Now 12h 30m
Sparks - Music That You Can Dance To - Vinyl LP - Curb MCA-5780 - NM-/Unplayed US $7.95 [0 bids]
Sparks : Just got back from heaven CD US $4.87 Buy It Now 12h 37m
AVERKIOU - THROWING SPARKS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $20.11 Buy It Now 12h 43m
SPARKS - SPARKS (HALFNELSON) / WOOFER IN TWEETER'S CLOTHING NEW CD US $26.41 Buy It Now 12h 52m
SPARKS - ANGST IN MY PANTS NEW CD US $21.59 Buy It Now 12h 54m
SPARKS - PULLING RABBITS OUT OF A HAT (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $24.55 Buy It Now 12h 56m
SPARKS - NO.1 IN HEAVEN - BONUS TRACKS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $21.97 Buy It Now 13h
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $6.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS - TERMINAL JIVE NEW CD US $17.89 Buy It Now 13h 28m
Pharoahe Monch CLinton Sparks The Awakening Mixtape CD Simon Sez US $0.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS WHEN I KISS YOU I HEAR CHARLE PARKER PLAYING 12" US $6.99 Buy It Now 14h 30m
Sparks - A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing - Bearsville 12" Vinyl LP - 1973 - NM- US $9.99 [0 bids]
Sparks This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us... 7" record UK US $17.76 Buy It Now 15h 18m
2 LONE SWORDSMAN - A Bag of Blue Sparks (1 CD) [Warp Music] US $4.47 Buy It Now 16h 31m
Hello Young Lovers by Sparks (CD, Mar-2006, In the Red Records) US $12.29 Buy It Now 17h 25m
Sparks Get in The Swing Japan Promo White Label Vinyl 7 inch Single 7" US $69.99 Buy It Now 17h 32m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - SPARKS - THIS TOWN AIN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR THE BOTH OF US - WIP 6 US $11.34 Buy It Now 17h 50m
MELVIN SPARKS SPARKS REISSUE PRESTIGE (EMS SHIPPING-USD18 US $12.00 [0 bids]
MELVIN SPARKS AKILAH REISSUE PRESTIGE (EMS SHIPPING-USD18 US $12.00 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks - UK CD album 2007 US $6.47 Buy It Now 19h 17m
Tim Sparks - Little Princess CD US $18.20 Buy It Now 19h 18m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Introducing Sparks ratings distribution

SPARKS Introducing Sparks reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Let's do some more Sparks, shall we? After breaking with their backing band on Big Beat, Mael brothers apparently felt that they needed a new introduction...hence the release of Introducing Sparks!

The success streak that began with the release of Kimono My House (1974) and Propaganda (1974) began to fade with Indiscreet (1975) and Big Beat (1976). 1977 saw the duo trying to revitalize their sound and Introducing Sparks was a sort of a fresh start for the brothers and their new lineup of various session musicians would have needed. Unfortunately, this new approach turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment since the album failed to chart on both sides of Atlantic and thus fading the record into obscurity. I think that this was unfair since there are quite a few enjoyable Sparks tracks featuring on this album like A Big Surprise, Forever Young and the hilarious Goofing Off!

This record is a lot more relaxed compared to their earlier material, featuring a lush and elegant sound. There are of course a few exceptions like Occupation and Forever Young, which could have easily fit on Propaganda, but other than that this is a pretty consistent record in terms of sound. This consistency is non-existent when it comes to the quality of the songs since there are both big hits and even bigger misses. Goofing Off is easily my favorite track off the record, featuring a very memorable melody and a lot of pretty funny lyrics to back it up! At the other end of the spectrum we have I'm Not, which might have been a pretty decent song but fails to deliver a memorable chorus, and Girls On The Brain, which is a complete snoozefest!

Overall, Introducing Sparks might not be the most consistent record that Sparks have ever recorded but there are just enough memorable moments to make this a worth a while experience even for people who aren't all that familiar with the band.

***** star songs: A Big Surprise (3:43) Goofing Off (4:25)

**** star songs: Occupation (5:14) Ladies (3:06) Forever Young (3:25) Over The Summer (3:48) Those Mysteries (5:02)

*** star songs: I'm Not (3:26)

** star songs: Girls On The Brain (3:39)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#1100889) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars It would be hard to imagine a Sparks album less in tune with 1977 than this one is. This album sold horrendously, was savaged by critics, and for years remained the only 70s Sparks album unavailable on CD (and when Sparks finally got around to issuing it on their own label in 2007, they used a vinyl LP rather than the master tapes as the source). The album cover is barf-inducing (though I have to imagine this was done on purpose; the idea of putting Ron Mael on a cover, dressed like that, using that font, and with THAT MUSTACHE, is ludicrous enough that they had to be aware of this), the sound produced by the army of session musicians is slick in a way that befits all bad stereotypes of late 70s AOR, and it doesn't even have a stupidly off-kilter mix along the lines of Big Beat to make it stand out. It's an album whose primary purpose seems to be hated by fans and ignored by everybody else.

Well, I'm probably a dolt, and because of this I like pretty much every song on here (I guess I'm not really that thrilled with with "I'm Not" or "Girls on the Brain" but I still find them interesting). I don't think I love any of them, but underneath the sheen of slick session work there are fun and memorable melodies, odd topics in the lyrics, and fascinating mishmashes of styles (in other words, the staples of Sparks at their best). One odd feature that makes a repeated appearance is a sudden interest in taking on (superficial) aspects of the Beach Boys in the vocals; "A Big Surprise," "Ladies" and especially "Over the Summer" sound unnervingly like the cliched version of the band that the Beach Boys were in the process of becoming (which wouldn't reach full flight until later), and while it's a little weird that Ron and Russell would want to start aping them in 1977, when the Beach Boys were no longer remotely cool, it's a fun additional detail. "A Big Surprise" also immediately shows that Ron's keyboards are going to be an important part of the band's sound again, and the mix of these fun lyrics (best lines: "Somebody told me how the motion picture would end/I turned and glared at them/And then I read the way the world was going to end/With a whimpering sound, not a banging away/I'm sorry I gave it away") with that stupendous vocal melody (the twist in the chorus is also glorious) is enough to put me in a great mood right away. "Ladies" is a tribute to all of the various ladies in Ron's life, such as Dinah Shore, Sara Lee and Betty Crocker, and while there's nothing remotely serious about the song, I find it to be a crack-up. And "Over the Summer," which milks the Beach Boys harmony style best of all, is a reminiscience of those great times in high school when you'd come back from summer vacation and find that lots of girls had managed to blossom since you'd last seen them, and the song feels like, with a little bit of tweaking, it could have fit into one of the early Beach Boys albums just fine.

On side one, the best of the three unmentioned tracks is "Occupation," a speedy rocker (with an odd keyboard sound fading in and out) that gives Russell a chance to sing Ron's 4- line musings about a whole bunch of different professions. Sample lyrics: "We pilots take you anywhere/We'll be your father in the air/We'll try to look calm and cool/But we're as scared as all of you." "I'm Not" is an oddly constructed combination of a lumbering rhythm section (the Big Beat mix would be VERY beneficial here, but alas the drums aren't as loud as they should be) and lighter harmonies, and it's kind of a mess, but it's a mess I never find myself skipping over. "Forever Young," which closes out the side, isn't quite on the level of the Dylan song it's clearly referencing, but it's fun to have a return to some of the glam aspects (in the guitars) of the '74 albums, and the voice-of-God proclamations from Russell right before the last verse help make this into a great pisstake on generic 70s anthems.

On side two, aside from "Over the Summer" and "Girls on the Brain" (Sparks doing a bluesy number about the way you could expect Sparks to, with lyrics that are about what you would expect from a Sparks song with that title), there are a couple of really nice numbers in "Goofing Off" and "Those Mysteries." "Goofing Off" is a song about taking full advantage of the weekend, set to a nagging melody that's ambiguously ethnic (mostly Jewish in the tune but with a pseudo-Greek rhythm) and chock-full of the kinds of silly hooks that I'm always a sucker for. And finally, "Those Mysteries" is a surprisingly tender and nostalgic glimpse at the life of a young kid who has questions about everything in the universe (and certainly more than their dad would want to answer), and just like with "Miss the Start, Miss the End," it shows that Sparks could balance the silly and snide with the emotionally earnest just fine if they wanted to. The music is very conventional, but it's lovely nonetheless, and Russell's vocal delivery is just swell.

This isn't a remotely important album by any means, and the legacy of Sparks wouldn't suffer at all if the band had somehow jumped directly from Big Beat to No. 1 in Heaven without recording this in between, but it deserves a better reputation than it's had since its release. Making another album like this probably would have been a really bad idea, though, and I'm glad they went for something so different with the next album.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1140256) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 01, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Introducing Sparks"