NO.1 IN HEAVEN

Sparks

Sparks No.1 In Heaven album cover

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1979

1. Tryouts For The Human Race (6:08)
2. Academy Award Performance (5:01)
3. La Dolce Vita (5:54)
4. Beat The Clock (4:24)
5. My Other Voice (4:55)
6. The Number One Song In Heaven (7:26)

Search SPARKS No.1 In Heaven lyrics

- Keith Forsey / drums
- Jack Moran / backing vocals
- Dan Wyman / synthesiser programming
- Dennis Young / backing vocals

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS No.1 In Heaven Music

Edsel Records UK 2013
In Outer SpaceIn Outer Space
Repertoire 1999
Sparks Jordin - Battlefield - 88697558482 US $17.74 Buy It Now 38m 1s
SPARKS ACHOO USA ISLAND PROMO RARE VINTAGE VINYL 7" RECORD GLAM ROCK RON MAEL US $23.99 Buy It Now 52m 17s
Beachwood Sparks Tarnished Gold Loser Vinyl Double 2 LP Gram Parsons Shins US $69.99 Buy It Now 57m
HUI / WORTHINGTON / CHRISTIE / KULESHA / MORISON - & BLUE SPARKS BURN NEW CD US $24.13 Buy It Now 1h 23m
SPARKS - INTRODUCING SPARKS - LBRCDRUS US $20.18 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Sparks - New Music For Amnesiacs - The Essential Collection - LBRCD7 US $28.77 Buy It Now 1h 37m
ULTIMIX 136 (CD) Good Charlotte / Britney Spears / Jordin Sparks / Celine Dion US $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
JORDIN SPARKS - JORDIN SPARKS - BONUS TRACK (IMPORT) NEW CD US $55.84 Buy It Now 2h 3m
ISLAND LIFE 53 TRACK 3CD SET U2,SPARKS,FREE,JETHRO TULL,PAUL WELLER US $11.91 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Beachwood Sparks - THE TARNISHED GOLD CD [2012] US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 49m
CARNIVAL ART blue food and black sparks 12" 4 trk ep featuring hammer and nails, US $8.50 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Beachwood Sparks Once We Were Trees PROMO CD Sub Pop RARE! US $4.95 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Beachwood Sparks S/T Promo CD RARE Sub Pop subpop US $4.95 Buy It Now 3h 28m
LASSE LINDH - Sparks +1 Bonus Track CD $2.99 S/H US $13.93 Buy It Now 3h 29m
THE SPARKS CD ------ ( 1 DAY SALE ) ------ US $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 30m
YELLOW RED SPARKS NEW CD US $17.57 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Ultimix 136 CD Ultimix Records Fergie,Natasha Bedingfield,Jordin Sparks US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 36m
1984 SPARKS Pretending To Be Drunk 45 SINGLE ATLANTIC RECORDS PROMO US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 41m
MARTIN GORDON Joy Of More Hogwash CD Power Pop / Art Rock / Prog SPARKS 2005 US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 49m
SPARKS - When I'm With You 45 PS Germany 1980 Moroder EX/VG+ US $17.99 Buy It Now 4h
SPARKS: Music That You Can Dance To/Fingerprints US $8.50 Buy It Now 4h 9m
THROUGH THE SPARKS - COIN TOSS (EP) NEW CD US $13.29 Buy It Now 4h 12m
Lot of Three (3) x The New Christy Minstrels LPs EX/NM Condition Randy Sparks US $14.95 Buy It Now 4h 22m
SPARKS - BEAT THE CLOCK 1979 VINYL/COVER EX/CON US $1.69 [0 bids]
Sparks-1979 magazine advert US $8.50 Buy It Now 4h 31m
ADRIAN CROWLEY - SEASON OF SPARKS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $21.03 Buy It Now 4h 52m
THROUGH THE SPARKS - WORM MOON WANING (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.16 Buy It Now 5h 4m
LARRY SPARKS - RAMBLIN BLUEGRASS NEW CD US $12.92 Buy It Now 5h 4m
Graham Parker / Sparks - New - Never Played - Promo US $9.97 Buy It Now 5h 4m
RANDY SPARKS these thousand hills 7" PS EX/VG hong kong US $11.91 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Sparks,Jeff - Jazzy Christmas With Jeff Sparks [CD New] US $13.90 Buy It Now 5h 34m
MILTON SPARKS & DELROYS - Time / Bermuda Shorts on Apollo 1957 do wop VG+ US $5.00 [0 bids]
Agent Sparks - Red Rover [CD New] US $8.24 Buy It Now 5h 44m
SPARKS Propaganda CD MINI LP US $15.49 Buy It Now 5h 45m
NM 12"~TREVOR SPARKS~Hold On~Dub Version~[Orig 1991 SHELLY'S Issue]~Reggae~ US $6.97 Buy It Now 5h 54m
GET CRAZY: ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK LP /RAMONES /LOU REED /SPARKS+++++ US $44.00 Buy It Now 6h 19m
SPARKS - TWO HANDS ONE MOUTH LIVE IN EUROPE NEW CD US $29.17 Buy It Now 6h 33m
(CD) Mark Scheider (Ph.D.) / Christina Sparks (Ph.D.) - Relaxation For Wellness US $18.99 Buy It Now 6h 34m
Ultimix 142 CD Ultimix Records Jonas Brothers,Jordin Sparks,The Ting Tings,Bleu US $5.00 Buy It Now 6h 37m
SPARKS - NEW MUSIC FOR AMNESIACS: ESSENTIAL COLLECTION NEW CD US $34.18 Buy It Now 6h 43m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
" 100 POUNDS OF WEED. " sparks & marcus. GENERAL MASAGAN 7in 1975. US $22.07 [1 bids]
Sparks of Seven Album No. 1 CD US $7.38 Buy It Now 7h 23m
SPARKS CD GOLD DISC RECORD LP DISPLAY FREE P&P! US $153.36 Buy It Now 7h 25m
SPARKS funny face 7" WS EX/M uk why US $11.91 Buy It Now 7h 53m
SPARKS-"PRETENDING TO BE DRUNK" EXTENDED/ NEW MIX-1984 U.S. ISSUE DJ 12" SINGLE US $7.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS so important 12" 3 trk extremely important mix b/w single version an US $8.50 Buy It Now 7h 58m
SPARKS when i kiss you 12" 4 trk promo red jerry mix, when i dub you mix b/w bea US $8.50 Buy It Now 7h 58m
SPARKS when i kiss you 12" 3 trk radio edit promo (74321267691) european logic 1 US $8.50 Buy It Now 7h 59m
Hello Young Lovers by Sparks (CD, Mar-2006, In the Red Records) US $1.25 [3 bids]
Dick Around [US] [EP] [Digipak] by Sparks (CD, Nov-2006, In the Red Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Plagiarism by Sparks (CD, Aug-2000, Roadrunner Records) US $0.99 [1 bids]
Leaving My Empire * by Fred (CD, Mar-2012, Sparks Music) US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE BEST GLAM ROCK ALBUM IN THE WORLD EVER 2-CD: SLADE SPARKS MUD T REX NR MINT US $5.10 [1 bids]
SPARKS - THE BEST OF SPARKS MUSIC THAT YOU CAN DANCE TO EUROPE CD CUR 468617 2 US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 24m
Mael Intuition / Best Of Sparks 1974-76 Sparks Audio CD US $14.88 Buy It Now 8h 39m
LESS COMMON RANDY SPARKS VERVE 45rpm: Walkin the low road US $2.99 Buy It Now 9h 3m
JORDIN SPARKS - PERMANENT MONDAY 1-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS208 # US $3.99 Buy It Now 9h 4m
TAYLOR SWIFT Sparks Fly CD SINGLE One Track BRAND NEW Numbered Limited Edition US $159.99 Buy It Now 9h 7m
VARIOUS ARTISTS-Alternative 80's Hits CD-Gleaming Spires,Toni Basil,Sparks,Flock US $1.99 [0 bids]
Squeezing Out Sparks Graham Parker Audio CD US $14.88 Buy It Now 9h 16m
Papa John DeFrancesco - Hip Cake Walk CD Melvin Sparks US $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 29m
BOOGIE 12" Elektrik Sparks Band-can't stop the phrock PRETTY PEARL;RARE;LISTEN!! US $9.99 [1 bids]
SPARKS music that you can dance to 7" PS EX/EX uk wos US $11.91 Buy It Now 9h 30m
Sparks- Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat- new/sealed cassette tape US $5.50 Buy It Now 9h 37m
RAZZY BAILEY-SPARKS PLANTATION PLP 47 NEW SEALED LP US $11.98 Buy It Now 9h 38m
LARRY SPARKS and the LONESOME RAMBLERS Ramblin Bluegrass US $15.32 Buy It Now 9h 43m
The New Christy Ministrels Land of Giants Direction Randy Sparks CS 8987 VG /VG US $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 44m
ERNIE SPARKS all about fiddling STONEWAYstereo US $15.32 Buy It Now 9h 46m
Pop Promo 45 TOM SPARKS Callin' Out To You on A&M (Prom US $5.00 Buy It Now 9h 46m
Rock Promo 45 TOM SPARKS Callin' Out to You on A&M (Pro US $5.00 Buy It Now 9h 46m
MELVIN SPARKS Texas Twister/'75. Ace CD Idris Muhammad US $14.49 Buy It Now 10h 2m
SPARKS, PROPAGANDA, LP 1974 UK 1ST PRESS A1/B1 PINK RIM VG+/EX-, INNER/SL US $15.32 Buy It Now 10h 14m
SPARKS, KIMONO MY HOUSE, LP 1974 GERMANY ISLAND EX/EX INNER/SL 87 818 US $17.02 Buy It Now 10h 14m
GRAHAM PARKER Squeezing out sparks Vinyl LP VERTIGO 9102 030 1979 US $17.02 Buy It Now 10h 16m
Trevor Sparks "A little way Different" L.P. and Jacket Mint - US $19.99 [0 bids]
Damani Move feat. Clipse & Kardinal Offishall Sealed 12" Clinton Sparks US $6.51 Buy It Now 10h 18m
Not So Merry [EP] [Digipak] [CD & DVD] by Agent Sparks US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 22m
Make the Cowboy Robots Cry [EP] Beachwood Sparks CD (May-2002, Sub Pop) Indie 4 US $6.25 Buy It Now 10h 40m
LASSE LINDH - SPARKS - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $29.55 Buy It Now 10h 43m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA, BRAND NEW IN WRAPPER US $5.90 Buy It Now 10h 47m
Graham Parker Squeezing Out Sparks Artista AB 4223 G+ / G+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 47m
RANDY SPARKS - JAMAICA FISHERMAN / WALKIN THE LOW ROAD US $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 54m
Sparks - Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth 7" Single 1974 US $17.04 Buy It Now 10h 55m
V/A Westbound Funk. Ace CD Funkadelic Ohio Players Alvin Cash Melvin Sparks US $14.49 Buy It Now 10h 56m
Red Rover * Agent Sparks CD alternative indie rock music guitar FREE SHIPPING 7 US $6.25 Buy It Now 11h
(EA705) United Ghosts, Sparks From A Cold Star - 2013 DJ CD US $5.10 Buy It Now 11h 5m
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks (CD) 13 Tracks - Ex Condition - Fast Postage US $6.80 Buy It Now 11h 13m
(861X) The Wookies, Sparks - CD US $4.18 Buy It Now 11h 13m
LARRY SPARKS: Lonesome Sounds Of LP (autograph, '74) Bluegrass US $20.00 Buy It Now 11h 16m
STATE PROPERTY SUN DON'T SHINE DO YOU WANT ME FT YOUNG CHRIS SPARKS OSCHINO 12" US $5.00 [0 bids]
(CX941) Pati Yang, Wires And Sparks - 2012 sealed DJ CD US $5.10 Buy It Now 11h 35m
SPARKS - WHEN DO I GET TO SING MY WAY UK CD SINGLE W/RARE MIXES, B-SIDES US $8.50 Buy It Now 11h 36m
SAHARA HOTNIGHTS - SPARKS NEW CD US $38.82 Buy It Now 11h 42m
TUPOLEV - TOWERS OF SPARKS NEW CD US $29.55 Buy It Now 12h 12m
SPARKS ~ LIVERPOOL EMPIRE OCTOBER 31 1975 ~ USED CONCERT GIG TICKET STUB US $59.65 Buy It Now 12h 13m
(AZ960) Tommy Sparks, Miracle - DJ CD US $4.69 Buy It Now 12h 14m
The Sparks 45 DECCA Merry Merry Lou M- 1957 US $9.00 [0 bids]
Al Sparks [8-Track] I Heard It At The Barber Shop *Girlie Cover* (Comedy) *1972* US $10.99 Buy It Now 12h 28m
1989 SPARKS/CHAFFINO DUO Reflections SEALED Cassette US $2.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS No.1 In Heaven ratings distribution

SPARKS No.1 In Heaven reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars After failing to grasp the attention of audiences with Big Beat and Introducing Sparks, Sparks teamed up with the Italian record producer/songwriter Giorgio Moroder to record No. 1 In Heaven.

Moroder is often credited with pioneering synthesizer disco and electronic dance music, hence it was pretty obvious that this collaboration would not result in a traditional rock record. Tryouts For The Human Race kicks things off with a steady synthesizer beat and things continue in the same style all throughout the record. Most of the tracks sound like a complete reinvention of the band's '70s sound and Academy Award Performance is probably the closest the band gets to their roots.

Even though I can understand the need for this shift in direction that Sparks undertake on this record and can appreciate the complete dedication that the duo show throughout these six tracks, this record feels to mechanic and cold for my tastes. Most of the songs are actually quite catchy but I lack the memorable arrangements that would complete my Sparks experience. I get quite tired of hearing the same beat for more than 2-3 minutes and all of these tracks are well past the 4 minute mark.

Having said that, I still find No. 1 In Heaven to be a pretty solid record, if anything, it's probably the most consistent album that the band have released in the '80s. If you like electronic dance music then this will be a perfect place to start exploring Sparks, if not, then start with their '70s records and work your way up to No. 1 In Heaven and it's followup Terminal Jive.

**** star songs: Tryouts For The Human Race (6:08) Academy Award Performance (5:01) Beat The Clock (4:24) My Other Voice (4:55) The Number One Song In Heaven (7:26)

*** star songs: La Dolce Vita (5:54)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#1100900) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars Enter Giorgio Moroder. While I like Big Beat and Introducing Sparks, there's no question that the band had stagnated some with those albums, and the brothers were looking to go in a new direction. Through various channels, the two of them managed to hook up with Moroder, whose stock as a writer and producer of slick synthesizer-dominated dance music was at a high point from his film work and from his work with such luminaries as Donna Summer. The album that resulted from this collaboration differed immensely from what the band had done before in a few ways: its 33-minute run-time contains but six tracks, four of which give partial writing credits to Moroder (with Moroder explicitly listed first in one of them); the songs consist entirely of keyboards, drums and vocals, with guitar and bass removed entirely; the songs are built around extensive cycling of a few ideas, and are clearly made to appeal to a Euro-pop/disco mindset as much as a Sparks mindset.

This turned out to be a pretty nice fit for the band, all things considered. After all, as many instances as there might have been of enjoyable guitar work on Sparks albums to this point, Sparks was ultimately a band built around keyboards, snide lyrics and great vocal melodies, and this album puts those aspects front and center. Yes, a couple more distinct ideas per track would have been nice, and there are definitely lengthy stretches where I feel like the brothers somewhat disappear behind the wall of Moroder slickness, but these are flaws that I only notice after the fact, when I feel like I've listened to an album that's a good deal shorter than it actually is (and this is a pretty short album as is). While I don't agree with the band's assessment of this as their best album (or so I've read), I can understand why they'd feel that way.

The opening "Tryouts for the Human Race" sets the album's feel in place immediately, making a song about sperm racing to be the one that unites with the egg into what's probably the most epic six minutes the band had put together yet. Everything about the song feels hot and sticky and moist, from the "dripping" synth sound that starts things off to the swirling sounds in the background to the various synth lines to the pounding beat to the vocal lines. And oh man, the idea of people dancing to lyrics like "We just want to feel the sun and be your little daughter or your son/We're just words that lovers use, words that light that automatic fuse/When that love explosion comes, my, oh my, we want to be someone" just fills me with all sorts of glee. Up next is "Academy Winning Performance," credited solely to Ron, and if it's weaker it's not by much. The thick production lets up a little bit, which is good and bad, but Russell's delivery of a put-down against a woman who's an expert at playiing different roles to ensare men is venomous enough to offset whatever drop in atmosphere there might be.

Far more venomous, though, is the following "La Dolce Vita," a decadent, lush, driving put- down of gold-digging women ("Mira, mira, guys, there's Lira in her eyes" is a typical line), full of alternation between lengthy synth solos and hellish sequenced passages over the best dancable rhythm of the album. Man, is "I catch a cold just by looking in your eyes" a great put-down. Flipping over to side 2, we come to "Beat the Clock" (without a Moroder credit), a 100% disco track musically and a 100% crackup lyrically. The chorus: "I've seen everything there is/I've done everything there is/I've met everyone but Liz/Now I've even met ol' Liz/No time for relationship/Skip the foreplay, let 'er rip/You gotta beat the clock, beat the clock/Beat the clock, beat the clock."

Up next is "My Other Voice," and while I tended to consider it lesser for a long time due to the fact that Moroder is clearly the most prominent figure in the track (he's listed first for a reason), I have to give beautiful atmosphere its due, no matter how it's produced. The first half of the track is instrumental and at first seems like it would better fit into the middle of a contemporary soundtrack than this album, but then a synth (apparently not a guitar like I thought initially) comes in and plays a rather lovely interlude over the atmospheric background, and then a vocoder pops in as a prelude to the vocal portion of the song. Russell then sings a verse of a really lovely vocal melody (with a great delivery too; the way he sings the "oooooy" of the line "With my other voice I can destroy this room" is heavenly), and then a vocoder sings the same melody with different lyrics, and overall the song makes a fine journey from confusing to uplifting in its five minutes.

Finally, there's "The Number One Song in Heaven," which consolidates all of the production effects and keyboard approaches of the rest of the album, and uses them to flesh out a 7- minute "epic" (by Sparks standards anyway) in two parts. The first half is slow and atmospheric in a way that's similar to "My Other Voice," and then the song suddenly turns into an up-tempo techno/disco number with Russell bellowing, "It's number one all over heaven/It's number one all over heaven/It's number one all over heaven/THE NUMBER ONE SONG IN ALL OF HEAVEN!" to herald the second half. The second half is full of all sorts of curiousities, from the current sequencing of sounds after the "...Gabriel plays it, let's hear him play it" verse to the lyrical twist of the song breaking out of heaven and becoming the biggest hit among the living. Wishful thinking, I suppose, but it's a great way to end the song.

No, this isn't quite the best Sparks album, but it is a great reinvention of the band that allowed them to re-emphasize some of their strengths without dwelling in the past, and I'd definitely recommend it to anybody. It also has to hold the title of "Sparks album most likely to be enjoyed by somebody who otherwise hates Sparks," based on the heavy presence of Moroder and the way that it can work as a dance-pop album and not just a collection of weird post-modern pop music (to varying degrees of weirdness). It's also the last really good Sparks album for a long time, sadly.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1140276) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 01, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "No.1 In Heaven"