NO.1 IN HEAVEN

Sparks

Sparks No.1 In Heaven album cover

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1979

1. Tryouts For The Human Race (6:08)
2. Academy Award Performance (5:01)
3. La Dolce Vita (5:54)
4. Beat The Clock (4:24)
5. My Other Voice (4:55)
6. The Number One Song In Heaven (7:26)

Search SPARKS No.1 In Heaven lyrics

- Keith Forsey / drums
- Jack Moran / backing vocals
- Dan Wyman / synthesiser programming
- Dennis Young / backing vocals

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS No.1 In Heaven Music

Rhino / Wea 1991
In Outer SpaceIn Outer Space
Repertoire 1999
Minton Sparks - This Dress (NEW CD) US $19.75 Buy It Now 29m 48s
GRAHAM PARKER AND THE RUMOUR "NM WAX" Squeezing out Sparks AL5 8075 LP s7946 US $5.99 [0 bids]
32m 27s
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Apr-2010, Columbia (USA)) US $5.00 Buy It Now 52m 11s
Sparks ~ Over The Summer ~ US 45 Test Pressing/Promo? HEAR US $9.99 [0 bids]
54m 19s
SPARKS get in the swing - profile 7" VINYL 45rpm GERMANY IMPORT near mint 1975 US $6.99 [0 bids]
58m 25s
*PROMO* Sparks - Over the Summer (mono-stereo), Columbia 3-10579 single 45 rpm US $3.75 [0 bids]
59m 16s
LARRY SPARKS AND LONESOME RAMBLERS The LAX-6004 LP u3489 US $5.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS*PROPAGANDA (REMASTERED WITH BONUS MATERIAL)*CD US $9.50 Buy It Now 1h 10m
GLEAMING SPIRES Walk on Well Lighted Streets PVC LP Advance Copy SPARKS New Wave US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Sparks Indiscreet Vinyl LP Orig Pressing David Bowie Queen T Rex Georgio Moroder US $4.99 [0 bids]
GRAHAM PARKER RECORD ALBUMS 12 LP LOT WIND HEAT STICK SPARKS UP GREY REAL STEADY US $129.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
SPARKS: KIMONO MY HOUSE 2006 REMASTERED CD INC 3 BONUS TRACKS / NEW US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Sparks I Predict Club Mix 12 Inch Vinyl US $4.75 Buy It Now 1h 36m
SPARKS: Run Run Run (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
SPARKS: Run Run Run / Danny Boy (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Jimmie Lunceford "Last Sparks 1941-1944" Unopened Record Album MCA -1321 US $6.00 [0 bids]
Loud Earth, Sparks Audio CD US $9.29 Buy It Now 2h 14m
-Singin Sam & His Sparks- MESSIN-House of Lords DEE DEE 45 Record VG++  US $1.75 [0 bids]
Sparks When I'm With You (PS) 7" Single US $8.39 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) US $3.99 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $3.99 [0 bids]
Farmer Dave Scher Flash Forward To The Good Times LP New Mint Beachwood Sparks US $18.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $6.99 [0 bids]
Sparks The Rescue - Eyes To The Sun (Used) US $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 5m
HOUSTON PERSON - Heavy Juice ~ MUSE 5260 {nm} w/Melvin Sparks, Jon Logan RARE US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Miranda Cosgrove - Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Apr-2010, Columbia (USA) US $3.99 [0 bids]
A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing by Sparks (CD, Jan-2006, Wounded Bird) US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) Brand New Sealed CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 8m
"Now That I Own The BBC" by Sparks - 4 Track Import CD - Brand New US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 31m
2fer! SPARKS Propaganda + Pulling Rabbits MINT CD RARE IMPORT 2 LPS ON 1 CD US $11.19 Buy It Now 5h 31m
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks Japan Edition CD B3 US $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 38m
Sparks, Clinton - Touch the Sky - CD [NSS] US $3.05 Buy It Now 6h 54m
Worst Thing I've Been Cursed With, Sparks the Rescue, New US $9.14 Buy It Now 8h 10m
Sparks - Exotic Creatures Of The Deep-Ltd CD US $31.12 Buy It Now 9h 57m
Through The Sparks - Lazarus Beach CD US $14.98 Buy It Now 9h 58m
RICK CUA Midnight Sun 1989 CD RARE OUTLAWS REBECCA SPARKS US $16.95 Buy It Now 10h 4m
SPARKS propaganda LP 11 track pink rim label design with inner in title stickere US $18.56 Buy It Now 10h 58m
Sparks - Exotic Creatures Of The Deep [CD New] US $12.63 Buy It Now 10h 59m
Sparks,Larry - Old Church Yard [CD New] US $9.75 Buy It Now 11h 6m
SPARKS GO GO - VARIETY - Japan CD - NEW J-POP US $18.99 Buy It Now 11h 15m
CHARLIE EARLAND - Pleasant Afternoon LP Jazz Dance on Muse Melvin Sparks ORIG... US $4.67 [0 bids]
Taylor swift - Sparks fly CD single official!! US $75.00 [0 bids]
NICK (IMPORT) URATA - RUBY SPARKS (IMPORT) NEW CD US $30.48 Buy It Now 12h 8m
Battlefield Jordin Sparks CD US $13.49 Buy It Now 12h 31m
SPARKS 'TWO HANDS ONE MOUTH : LIVE IN EUROPE' 2 CD SET (2013) US $20.10 Buy It Now 12h 46m
MAKE UP YOUR MIND - Trevor Sparks & Bobo General (DB1616) US $5.03 Buy It Now 12h 54m
Agent Sparks 2005 Not So Merry [EP] [Digipak] Immortal [used CD/DVD] US $0.01 [0 bids]
DO YOU KNOW NOW - Trevor Sparks (DB1588) US $5.03 Buy It Now 13h 33m
Sparks Are Gonna Fly US $7.45 Buy It Now 13h 33m
SPARKS Whomp That Sucker JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD NEW 13 TRACKS OOP RARE TECI-26549 US $55.99 Buy It Now 13h 58m
Catherine Wheel - Sparks Are Gonna Fly 2 mixes - US CD US $12.99 Buy It Now 14h 23m
Johnny Rivers, Ricky Nelson, Randy Sparks, unopened 8 track cartridge US $8.00 [0 bids]
LEON THOMAS BLUES BAND NM. BERNARD PURDIE, MELVIN SPARKS, HOUSTON PERSON. US $3.99 Buy It Now 14h 59m
Sparks - The Number One Song In Heaven 7" US $8.39 Buy It Now 16h 12m
TIM SPARKS Table CD on TZADIK w/ MARC RIBOT ERIK FRIEDLANDER CYRO BAPTISTA US $5.50 [0 bids]
Sparks - Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth 7" US $8.39 Buy It Now 16h 26m
BARRY SPARKS Glimmer Of Hope CD Solo Album HTF 1999 AOR US $14.99 Buy It Now 16h 47m
MELVIN SPARKS 3 CD LOT - IT IS WHAT IT IS - GROOVE ON UP - THIS IS IT! US $20.60 [0 bids]
JORDIN SPARKS Jordin Sparks CD SONY MUSIC RUSSIA OBI NEW US $13.99 Buy It Now 17h 24m
EARLY Johnny Rivers Ricky Nelson Randy Sparks Material on MGM 4256 US $13.49 Buy It Now 17h 31m
[TODD RUNDGREN] SPARKS ~ SELF TITLED ~ 1972 US 11-TRACK LP ~ BEARSVILLE BV 2048 US $58.88 Buy It Now 17h 38m
Slip Album: Sparks : Whomp That Sucker US $11.09 [0 bids]
Coldplay PROMO CD Sparks US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS - WHEN I KISS YOU ( I HEAR CHARLIE PARKER PLAYING ) CD SINGLE US $6.70 Buy It Now 18h 13m
Sparks - Introducing Sparks NEW CD US $15.81 Buy It Now 18h 32m
MUSIC THAT YOU CAN DANCE TO~SPARKS~SYNTH POP~SAINT CLASSIC~12" US $0.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS**MAEL INTUITION: BEST OF SPARKS 1974-76**CD US $10.95 Buy It Now 20h
SPARKS 12" Progress - Club Mix / In The Dark - Club Mix +1 USA PROMO US $8.39 Buy It Now 20h 13m
SPARKS 12" When I Kiss You (I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) PROMO 4 TRK. MINT US $6.71 Buy It Now 20h 13m
SPARKS 12" Music You Can Dance To HOT TRACKS USA DJ ONLY REMIX (7:04) US $33.63 Buy It Now 20h 13m
SPARKS 12" NOEL Dancing Is Dangerous (9:04) UNPLAYED Promo USA Dancing (9:42) US $20.17 Buy It Now 20h 13m
SPARKS GEMMA RAY 7" Gemma Ray Sings Sparks With Sparks + PROMO SHEET 500 Made! US $10.01 Buy It Now 20h 13m
JIMMY LUNCEFORD: The Last Sparks 1941-44 (jazz LP) US $18.00 Buy It Now 20h 16m
LIO Suite Sixtine RARE LP Sparks 1983 CANADA Telex Synth NM ron US $220.00 Buy It Now 20h 19m
LEON THOMAS BLUES BAND LP / Melvin Sparks Pretty Purdie Houston Person 1988 US $4.98 Buy It Now 20h 24m
Al Sparks [8-Track] I Heard It At The Barber Shop *Girlie Cover* (Comedy) *1972* US $10.99 Buy It Now 20h 40m
SPARKS 12" When Do I Get To Sing My Way UK DJ PROMO Unplayed US $10.08 Buy It Now 20h 40m
SPARKS 12" All You Ever Think About Is Sex / Dance USA PROMO 'New LIVE MIXES SKR US $16.81 Buy It Now 20h 40m
SPARKS 12" Just Got back From Heaven 5 MIXES USA inc DUB ANGELS Mix, 6:47 in PS US $16.81 Buy It Now 20h 42m
Squeezing Out Sparks - Graham Parker LP AB4223 EX US $9.99 Buy It Now 20h 47m
CHARLIE EARLAND -(LP)-IN THE POCKET WITH H.PERSON, M. SPARKS & I. MUHAMMAD -1982 US $14.99 Buy It Now 21h 4m
Larry Sparks - 40 (NEW CD) US $20.59 Buy It Now 21h 9m
Sparks Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth VINYL 7" 1974 UK Island WIP6211 US $4.21 Buy It Now 21h 48m
Sparks Something For the Girl With Everything VINYL 7" 1974 UK ISland US $4.21 Buy It Now 21h 48m
Sparks Amateur Hour VINYL 7" 1974 UK Island WIP6203 EX US $4.21 Buy It Now 21h 48m
sparks - when i'm with you - 7" vinyl single US $15.12 Buy It Now 21h 57m
clinton sparks limited edition cd US $9.99 [0 bids]
LP-SPARKS/KIMONO MY HOUSE/ISLAND,1974/INSERT/EX US $6.99 [0 bids]
ORBITAL ONE PERFECT SUNRISE PAUL HARTNOLL LISA GERRARD DEAD CAN DANCE SPARKS CD US $46.89 Buy It Now 22h 23m
(16D) Sparks Fly, Creatures - DJ CD US $5.03 Buy It Now 22h 28m
Battlefield Jordin Sparks CD US $3.97 Buy It Now 22h 32m
Jazzy Christmas With Jeff Sparks Jeff Sparks CD US $9.73 Buy It Now 22h 33m
Sparks / Terminal Jive (dig) CD US $10.60 Buy It Now 22h 33m
? GREG & REBECCA SPARKS Field of your CD RARE Bash N The Code TAIWAN MISSION US $5.99 [0 bids]
? GREG & REBECCA SPARKS Live Life CD 01 RARE Bash N The Code TAIWAN MISSION US $5.99 [0 bids]
(CP204) Pati Yang, Wires & Sparks EP - 2012 DJ CD US $5.03 Buy It Now 23h 11m
1980 - SPARKS - Terminal Jive - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $15.12 Buy It Now 23h 12m
* Miranda Cosgrove - Sparks Fly US $2.99 Buy It Now 23h 30m
LARRY SPARKS AND THE LONESOME RAMBLERS KING BLUE GRASS RECORDS 1ST P LP US $14.99 [0 bids]
PEPPINO D'AGOSTINO: SPARKS; 1987 SHANACHIE 96004 SEALED LP; CD LONG OUT OF PRINT US $11.00 Buy It Now 23h 48m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS No.1 In Heaven ratings distribution

SPARKS No.1 In Heaven reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars After failing to grasp the attention of audiences with Big Beat and Introducing Sparks, Sparks teamed up with the Italian record producer/songwriter Giorgio Moroder to record No. 1 In Heaven.

Moroder is often credited with pioneering synthesizer disco and electronic dance music, hence it was pretty obvious that this collaboration would not result in a traditional rock record. Tryouts For The Human Race kicks things off with a steady synthesizer beat and things continue in the same style all throughout the record. Most of the tracks sound like a complete reinvention of the band's '70s sound and Academy Award Performance is probably the closest the band gets to their roots.

Even though I can understand the need for this shift in direction that Sparks undertake on this record and can appreciate the complete dedication that the duo show throughout these six tracks, this record feels to mechanic and cold for my tastes. Most of the songs are actually quite catchy but I lack the memorable arrangements that would complete my Sparks experience. I get quite tired of hearing the same beat for more than 2-3 minutes and all of these tracks are well past the 4 minute mark.

Having said that, I still find No. 1 In Heaven to be a pretty solid record, if anything, it's probably the most consistent album that the band have released in the '80s. If you like electronic dance music then this will be a perfect place to start exploring Sparks, if not, then start with their '70s records and work your way up to No. 1 In Heaven and it's followup Terminal Jive.

**** star songs: Tryouts For The Human Race (6:08) Academy Award Performance (5:01) Beat The Clock (4:24) My Other Voice (4:55) The Number One Song In Heaven (7:26)

*** star songs: La Dolce Vita (5:54)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#1100900) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars Enter Giorgio Moroder. While I like Big Beat and Introducing Sparks, there's no question that the band had stagnated some with those albums, and the brothers were looking to go in a new direction. Through various channels, the two of them managed to hook up with Moroder, whose stock as a writer and producer of slick synthesizer-dominated dance music was at a high point from his film work and from his work with such luminaries as Donna Summer. The album that resulted from this collaboration differed immensely from what the band had done before in a few ways: its 33-minute run-time contains but six tracks, four of which give partial writing credits to Moroder (with Moroder explicitly listed first in one of them); the songs consist entirely of keyboards, drums and vocals, with guitar and bass removed entirely; the songs are built around extensive cycling of a few ideas, and are clearly made to appeal to a Euro-pop/disco mindset as much as a Sparks mindset.

This turned out to be a pretty nice fit for the band, all things considered. After all, as many instances as there might have been of enjoyable guitar work on Sparks albums to this point, Sparks was ultimately a band built around keyboards, snide lyrics and great vocal melodies, and this album puts those aspects front and center. Yes, a couple more distinct ideas per track would have been nice, and there are definitely lengthy stretches where I feel like the brothers somewhat disappear behind the wall of Moroder slickness, but these are flaws that I only notice after the fact, when I feel like I've listened to an album that's a good deal shorter than it actually is (and this is a pretty short album as is). While I don't agree with the band's assessment of this as their best album (or so I've read), I can understand why they'd feel that way.

The opening "Tryouts for the Human Race" sets the album's feel in place immediately, making a song about sperm racing to be the one that unites with the egg into what's probably the most epic six minutes the band had put together yet. Everything about the song feels hot and sticky and moist, from the "dripping" synth sound that starts things off to the swirling sounds in the background to the various synth lines to the pounding beat to the vocal lines. And oh man, the idea of people dancing to lyrics like "We just want to feel the sun and be your little daughter or your son/We're just words that lovers use, words that light that automatic fuse/When that love explosion comes, my, oh my, we want to be someone" just fills me with all sorts of glee. Up next is "Academy Winning Performance," credited solely to Ron, and if it's weaker it's not by much. The thick production lets up a little bit, which is good and bad, but Russell's delivery of a put-down against a woman who's an expert at playiing different roles to ensare men is venomous enough to offset whatever drop in atmosphere there might be.

Far more venomous, though, is the following "La Dolce Vita," a decadent, lush, driving put- down of gold-digging women ("Mira, mira, guys, there's Lira in her eyes" is a typical line), full of alternation between lengthy synth solos and hellish sequenced passages over the best dancable rhythm of the album. Man, is "I catch a cold just by looking in your eyes" a great put-down. Flipping over to side 2, we come to "Beat the Clock" (without a Moroder credit), a 100% disco track musically and a 100% crackup lyrically. The chorus: "I've seen everything there is/I've done everything there is/I've met everyone but Liz/Now I've even met ol' Liz/No time for relationship/Skip the foreplay, let 'er rip/You gotta beat the clock, beat the clock/Beat the clock, beat the clock."

Up next is "My Other Voice," and while I tended to consider it lesser for a long time due to the fact that Moroder is clearly the most prominent figure in the track (he's listed first for a reason), I have to give beautiful atmosphere its due, no matter how it's produced. The first half of the track is instrumental and at first seems like it would better fit into the middle of a contemporary soundtrack than this album, but then a synth (apparently not a guitar like I thought initially) comes in and plays a rather lovely interlude over the atmospheric background, and then a vocoder pops in as a prelude to the vocal portion of the song. Russell then sings a verse of a really lovely vocal melody (with a great delivery too; the way he sings the "oooooy" of the line "With my other voice I can destroy this room" is heavenly), and then a vocoder sings the same melody with different lyrics, and overall the song makes a fine journey from confusing to uplifting in its five minutes.

Finally, there's "The Number One Song in Heaven," which consolidates all of the production effects and keyboard approaches of the rest of the album, and uses them to flesh out a 7- minute "epic" (by Sparks standards anyway) in two parts. The first half is slow and atmospheric in a way that's similar to "My Other Voice," and then the song suddenly turns into an up-tempo techno/disco number with Russell bellowing, "It's number one all over heaven/It's number one all over heaven/It's number one all over heaven/THE NUMBER ONE SONG IN ALL OF HEAVEN!" to herald the second half. The second half is full of all sorts of curiousities, from the current sequencing of sounds after the "...Gabriel plays it, let's hear him play it" verse to the lyrical twist of the song breaking out of heaven and becoming the biggest hit among the living. Wishful thinking, I suppose, but it's a great way to end the song.

No, this isn't quite the best Sparks album, but it is a great reinvention of the band that allowed them to re-emphasize some of their strengths without dwelling in the past, and I'd definitely recommend it to anybody. It also has to hold the title of "Sparks album most likely to be enjoyed by somebody who otherwise hates Sparks," based on the heavy presence of Moroder and the way that it can work as a dance-pop album and not just a collection of weird post-modern pop music (to varying degrees of weirdness). It's also the last really good Sparks album for a long time, sadly.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1140276) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 01, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "No.1 In Heaven"