NO.1 IN HEAVEN

Sparks

Sparks No.1 In Heaven album cover

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1979

1. Tryouts For The Human Race (6:08)
2. Academy Award Performance (5:01)
3. La Dolce Vita (5:54)
4. Beat The Clock (4:24)
5. My Other Voice (4:55)
6. The Number One Song In Heaven (7:26)

Search SPARKS No.1 In Heaven lyrics

- Keith Forsey / drums
- Jack Moran / backing vocals
- Dan Wyman / synthesiser programming
- Dennis Young / backing vocals

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS No.1 In Heaven Music

IndiscreetIndiscreet
Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Fontana Island 2006
No.1 in HeavenNo.1 in Heaven
Repertoire 2013
Sparks "Music That You Can Dance To" 12" Single US $3.47 Buy It Now 36m 58s
STACCATOS / FIVE MAN ELECTRICAL BAND - FIRST SPARKS CANADIAN POP 65-69 ANTH 2-CD US $27.95 Buy It Now 58m 17s
GRAHAM PARKER SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS LP 1979 ON SPACESHIP LABEL UK US $19.48 Buy It Now 1h 8m
SPARKS MUSIC THAT YOU CAN DANCE TO LP 1986 GERMAN US $19.48 Buy It Now 1h 10m
SPARKS 45 Promo Record US $4.95 [0 bids]
SPARKS NO.1 IN HEAVEN(YELLOW) LP 1979 YELLOW VINYL WITH INNER SLEEVE (THE COVER US $27.60 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Jordin Sparks Self-Titled Album Taiwan Release New with OBI cd745 US $24.89 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Sparks - Something For The Girl With Everything - 1974 US $1.62 [0 bids]
I Just Want to Thank You Lord - Larry Sparks - CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Sparks-When I Kiss You (I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) 6 track Remix EP US $3.00 [0 bids]
MIRANDA COSGROVE CD - "SPARKS FLY" US $2.50 [0 bids]
SPARKS-FUNNY FACE-ITALIAN PS 45rpm 1981-UNIQUE LABEL US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Beachwood Sparks ~ Once We Were Trees & Self Titled CD Lot ~ NEW SEALED Sub Pop US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Sparks - In Outer Space (NEW CD) US $13.38 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Minton Sparks - Open Casket (NEW DVD) US $23.12 Buy It Now 2h 4m
CD promo - Sparks - The Number One Song In Heaven US $3.23 [0 bids]
Sparks ANGST IN MY PANTS (Atlantic) 1982 LP VG++ printed inner sleeve lyrics US $10.45 [2 bids]
CD promo - Sparks - Perfume US $3.23 [0 bids]
CD promo - Sparks - Lighten Up, Morrissey/I Can't Believe....... US $3.23 [1 bids]
Sparks In Outer Space Cassette Tape 1983 10CC Brian Eno Concrete Blonde Rock US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 49m
LARRY SPARKS/LONESOME RAMBLERS LP: Pine Tree PTSLP 500 "Ramblin' Guitar" US $9.00 [0 bids]
Tori Sparks - Rivers + Roads [CD New] US $15.98 Buy It Now 3h 11m
SPARKS / GET IN THE SWING / 1975 7" VG+ US $4.85 Buy It Now 3h 12m
SPARKS - Young Girls/Just Because You Love Me (PS, English Import) US $9.00 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Sparks - Balls (Limited Edition) (CD 2000) NEW & SEALED US $13.77 Buy It Now 3h 50m
Sparks - Amateur hour UK 7" US $6.48 Buy It Now 4h 7m
SPARKS pulling rabbits out of a hat 1984- RARE FIRST US PRESS -ATLANTIC-MINT US $16.22 [1 bids]
SPARKS - Progress - PROMO SYNTH POP 12" US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Esther Sparks,CD,Esther and the Protesters US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 49m
SPARKS no.1 in heaven Japan MINI LP SHM-CD US $26.50 [2 bids]
Female Vocalist CD Lot Jordin Sparks, Leona Lewis, PussyCat Dolls US $19.50 Buy It Now 5h 9m
Sparks - Best of (NEW CD) US $13.38 Buy It Now 5h 17m
CD SPARKS/ Mael Bros 1968 Demo Lp - PARDON MY FRENCH US $10.99 Buy It Now 5h 27m
TUFF DIGI LP Trevor Sparks Touch Of Class US Blue Trac LP Listen ! US $8.10 [2 bids]
SPARKS "PULLING RABBITS OUT OF A HAT", LP, CANADA, RARE! US $16.99 Buy It Now 5h 38m
Sparks Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins CD Synthpop 1995 US $3.99 [0 bids]
EMILY'S SASSY LIME Summer Vacation 7" EP 1994 X-MAS Beachwood Sparks OOP Rare M- US $15.55 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Sparks - Whomp That Sucker (NEW CD) US $13.38 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Sparks - No 1 In Heaven (NEW CD) US $13.38 Buy It Now 6h 8m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks ~ NEW CD (Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings (USA)) US $6.95 Buy It Now 6h 12m
AGENT SPARKS - POLLY ANNE 1TRK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS266 # US $11.99 Buy It Now 6h 37m
VYNAL RECORD SINGLE [ SPARKS ] US $1.62 [0 bids]
VYNAL RECORD SINGLE [ SPARKS ] 1979 US $1.62 [0 bids]
VYNAL RECORD SINGLE [ SPARKS ] 1975 US $1.62 [0 bids]
VYNAL RECORD SINGLE, SPARKS 1975 US $1.62 [0 bids]
RANDY SPARKS SELF TITLED DEBUT LP DEEP GROOVE MONO VERVE 2103 Rare Folk US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 50m
16 SIXTEEN DELUXE-Emits Showers Of Sparks-SWINGSET-Cd's US $8.49 Buy It Now 6h 56m
SPARKS Something For The Girl/Marry Me 45 RPM 1974 US $28.00 Buy It Now 7h
LP vinyl the QUIET SIDES OF THE NEW CHRISY MINSTRELS w/ Randy Sparks VG+ US $3.00 Buy It Now 7h 3m
SPARKS Get In The Swing/Profile 45 RPM 1975 US $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 4m
Sparks: Amateur Hour 1974 7"" RARE STUNNING NEAR MINT US $16.22 Buy It Now 7h 7m
LP vinyl THE NEW CHRISY MINSTRELS w/ Randy Sparks LAND OF GIANTS VG+ Stereo US $3.75 Buy It Now 7h 7m
SPARKS---INDISCREET US $7.00 [0 bids]
SPARKS---INTRODUCING US $7.00 [0 bids]
Graham Parker: Squeezing out sparks 1979 vertigo LP US $6.48 Buy It Now 7h 22m
Sparks: This town ain't big enough 1974 7"" RARE STUNNING NEAR MINT US $16.22 Buy It Now 7h 34m
Sparks: Never turn your back 1974 7"" RARE STUNNING NEAR MINT US $16.22 Buy It Now 7h 36m
GRAHAM PARKER---SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS US $5.00 [0 bids]
Sparks: So Important rare 12" EX US issue US $9.72 Buy It Now 7h 44m
Graham Parker and the Rumour - Squeezing Out Sparks - 9102 030 - LP Record US $14.59 Buy It Now 7h 45m
SPARKS: PRETENDING TO BE DRUNK; 1984 ATLANTIC 89616 MINT- PROMO 45 RPM US $6.00 Buy It Now 7h 51m
Not So Merry [EP] [Digipak] by Agent Sparks (CD, Sep-2005, Immortal) US $0.99 [0 bids]
JORDIN SPARKS "TATTOO (REMIXES)" 2007 *MINT* PROMO! 12" US $12.99 Buy It Now 8h
Jordin Sparks, Battlefield Promo CD Single US $3.23 Buy It Now 8h 4m
Jordin Sparks, Tattoo Promo CD Single US $3.23 Buy It Now 8h 7m
Jordin Sparks (Audio CD, 2007, 19 Recordings, USA) Tattoo, Just For The Record US $3.99 Buy It Now 8h 18m
Sparks 45 Pretending To Be Drunk "PROMO COPY" 1984 Atlantic Records #7-89616 US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 22m
TORI SPARKS - THE SCORPION IN THE STORY - NEW CD US $9.31 Buy It Now 8h 30m
Jamie Sparks - It's the Music - U.S. cd - RARE! US $6.47 Buy It Now 8h 59m
Sparks - Whomp That Sucker - 1981 WLP Japanese Vinyl LP US $89.29 Buy It Now 9h 7m
Jordin Sparks - Tattoo - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $5.95 Buy It Now 9h 19m
SPARKS, and Jane Wiedlin, 7" 45 rpm, "Cool Places", The Go Go's, NM+, Ron Mael US $5.49 [0 bids]
THE BEST OF SPARKS: MUSIC THAT YOU CAN DANCE TO CD Mint US $5.99 [0 bids]
MIRANDA COSGROVE-SPARKS FLY JAPAN EDITION-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK E25 US $23.99 Buy It Now 10h 12m
Tori Sparks Under This Yellow Sun CD US $4.60 Buy It Now 10h 29m
HANK CRAWFORD - Down on the Deuce ~ MILESTONE 9129 {nm} w/Sparks, Walton, Purdie US $17.99 Buy It Now 11h 3m
SPARKS Propaganda 1974 CD JAPAN B6903 US $3.00 [0 bids]
Mystic Chords of Memory S/T NEW Beachwood Sparks ships Fast not a promo US $3.99 [0 bids]
? Pop - Go! (Tim McGovern joined The Motels) (produced by Earle Mankey of Sparks US $14.99 Buy It Now 11h 19m
? Pop - Go! (Tim McGovern to Motels) prod. Earle Mankey of Sparks) TEST PRESSING US $24.99 Buy It Now 11h 26m
Celtic Harp Sparks!, Phyllis Taylor Sparks, Good US $11.71 Buy It Now 11h 44m
Sparks: So Important 12 inch 33 rpm Vinyl Fine Art Records 1988 US $10.38 Buy It Now 11h 45m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) US $4.99 [0 bids]
TREVOR SPARKS -SWEET REGGAE / DICKIE RANKING -REGGAE RAP /JR DEMUS / SHELLY 1991 US $0.98 [0 bids]
(AS842) Tommy Sparks, I'm A Rope - DJ CD US $4.46 Buy It Now 12h 12m
NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS LP Randy Sparks Ramblin' NEAR MINT VINYL FREE SHIPPING US $9.99 [0 bids]
Miranda Cosgrove: Sparks Fly (USA CD, 2010) Factory Sealed w./original sticker US $5.33 Buy It Now 12h 23m
CASSETTE TAPE Interior Design Sparks / RARE RHINO LABEL sealed! US $6.49 Buy It Now 13h 26m
Tim Sparks - Little Princess [CD New] US $12.65 Buy It Now 13h 32m
THE SPARKS - The Best of The Sparks (1 CD) [Curb Records] US $4.47 Buy It Now 14h 3m
GET CRAZY Soundtrack LP Morocco 6065CL 1983 Ramones Lou Reed Sparks indi US $14.99 [0 bids]
SOUL - MILTON SPARKS - A CERTAIN SMILE b/w VOICE OF LOVE - HUNT 45 - PROMO US $9.95 Buy It Now 14h 20m
Sparks Looks Looks Looks 7" vinyl single record UK WIP6249 ISLAND 1975 US $16.95 Buy It Now 15h 2m
RANDY SPARKS + BACK PORCH MAJORITY~NEW COUNTRY MINSTRELS~SEALED~RARE PVT LBL 1ST US $100.00 [0 bids]
??? ????? Jacky Cheung Sparks Of Love, RARE original 1st print CD 1992 PolydorHK US $75.00 [0 bids]
Rare SPARKS I Want To Hold Your Hand / England PHILIPPINES ISL-45-003 US $30.00 Buy It Now 15h 50m
Sparks The Rescue-Eyes To The Sun (Import CD) with 2 Bonus Tracks US $3.22 [0 bids]
Jolly Good Fellow - Dancing Sparks - Blue - 1996 #6934 US $4.85 Buy It Now 16h 57m
Royksopp - Sparks - Wall Of Sound - 2003 #104257 US $4.85 Buy It Now 16h 58m
MELVIN SPARKS Spark Plug! 8-TRACK TAPE~ funk jazz on Prestige ~B3 Idris Muhammad US $9.98 Buy It Now 17h 21m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS No.1 In Heaven ratings distribution

SPARKS No.1 In Heaven reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars After failing to grasp the attention of audiences with Big Beat and Introducing Sparks, Sparks teamed up with the Italian record producer/songwriter Giorgio Moroder to record No. 1 In Heaven.

Moroder is often credited with pioneering synthesizer disco and electronic dance music, hence it was pretty obvious that this collaboration would not result in a traditional rock record. Tryouts For The Human Race kicks things off with a steady synthesizer beat and things continue in the same style all throughout the record. Most of the tracks sound like a complete reinvention of the band's '70s sound and Academy Award Performance is probably the closest the band gets to their roots.

Even though I can understand the need for this shift in direction that Sparks undertake on this record and can appreciate the complete dedication that the duo show throughout these six tracks, this record feels to mechanic and cold for my tastes. Most of the songs are actually quite catchy but I lack the memorable arrangements that would complete my Sparks experience. I get quite tired of hearing the same beat for more than 2-3 minutes and all of these tracks are well past the 4 minute mark.

Having said that, I still find No. 1 In Heaven to be a pretty solid record, if anything, it's probably the most consistent album that the band have released in the '80s. If you like electronic dance music then this will be a perfect place to start exploring Sparks, if not, then start with their '70s records and work your way up to No. 1 In Heaven and it's followup Terminal Jive.

**** star songs: Tryouts For The Human Race (6:08) Academy Award Performance (5:01) Beat The Clock (4:24) My Other Voice (4:55) The Number One Song In Heaven (7:26)

*** star songs: La Dolce Vita (5:54)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#1100900) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars Enter Giorgio Moroder. While I like Big Beat and Introducing Sparks, there's no question that the band had stagnated some with those albums, and the brothers were looking to go in a new direction. Through various channels, the two of them managed to hook up with Moroder, whose stock as a writer and producer of slick synthesizer-dominated dance music was at a high point from his film work and from his work with such luminaries as Donna Summer. The album that resulted from this collaboration differed immensely from what the band had done before in a few ways: its 33-minute run-time contains but six tracks, four of which give partial writing credits to Moroder (with Moroder explicitly listed first in one of them); the songs consist entirely of keyboards, drums and vocals, with guitar and bass removed entirely; the songs are built around extensive cycling of a few ideas, and are clearly made to appeal to a Euro-pop/disco mindset as much as a Sparks mindset.

This turned out to be a pretty nice fit for the band, all things considered. After all, as many instances as there might have been of enjoyable guitar work on Sparks albums to this point, Sparks was ultimately a band built around keyboards, snide lyrics and great vocal melodies, and this album puts those aspects front and center. Yes, a couple more distinct ideas per track would have been nice, and there are definitely lengthy stretches where I feel like the brothers somewhat disappear behind the wall of Moroder slickness, but these are flaws that I only notice after the fact, when I feel like I've listened to an album that's a good deal shorter than it actually is (and this is a pretty short album as is). While I don't agree with the band's assessment of this as their best album (or so I've read), I can understand why they'd feel that way.

The opening "Tryouts for the Human Race" sets the album's feel in place immediately, making a song about sperm racing to be the one that unites with the egg into what's probably the most epic six minutes the band had put together yet. Everything about the song feels hot and sticky and moist, from the "dripping" synth sound that starts things off to the swirling sounds in the background to the various synth lines to the pounding beat to the vocal lines. And oh man, the idea of people dancing to lyrics like "We just want to feel the sun and be your little daughter or your son/We're just words that lovers use, words that light that automatic fuse/When that love explosion comes, my, oh my, we want to be someone" just fills me with all sorts of glee. Up next is "Academy Winning Performance," credited solely to Ron, and if it's weaker it's not by much. The thick production lets up a little bit, which is good and bad, but Russell's delivery of a put-down against a woman who's an expert at playiing different roles to ensare men is venomous enough to offset whatever drop in atmosphere there might be.

Far more venomous, though, is the following "La Dolce Vita," a decadent, lush, driving put- down of gold-digging women ("Mira, mira, guys, there's Lira in her eyes" is a typical line), full of alternation between lengthy synth solos and hellish sequenced passages over the best dancable rhythm of the album. Man, is "I catch a cold just by looking in your eyes" a great put-down. Flipping over to side 2, we come to "Beat the Clock" (without a Moroder credit), a 100% disco track musically and a 100% crackup lyrically. The chorus: "I've seen everything there is/I've done everything there is/I've met everyone but Liz/Now I've even met ol' Liz/No time for relationship/Skip the foreplay, let 'er rip/You gotta beat the clock, beat the clock/Beat the clock, beat the clock."

Up next is "My Other Voice," and while I tended to consider it lesser for a long time due to the fact that Moroder is clearly the most prominent figure in the track (he's listed first for a reason), I have to give beautiful atmosphere its due, no matter how it's produced. The first half of the track is instrumental and at first seems like it would better fit into the middle of a contemporary soundtrack than this album, but then a synth (apparently not a guitar like I thought initially) comes in and plays a rather lovely interlude over the atmospheric background, and then a vocoder pops in as a prelude to the vocal portion of the song. Russell then sings a verse of a really lovely vocal melody (with a great delivery too; the way he sings the "oooooy" of the line "With my other voice I can destroy this room" is heavenly), and then a vocoder sings the same melody with different lyrics, and overall the song makes a fine journey from confusing to uplifting in its five minutes.

Finally, there's "The Number One Song in Heaven," which consolidates all of the production effects and keyboard approaches of the rest of the album, and uses them to flesh out a 7- minute "epic" (by Sparks standards anyway) in two parts. The first half is slow and atmospheric in a way that's similar to "My Other Voice," and then the song suddenly turns into an up-tempo techno/disco number with Russell bellowing, "It's number one all over heaven/It's number one all over heaven/It's number one all over heaven/THE NUMBER ONE SONG IN ALL OF HEAVEN!" to herald the second half. The second half is full of all sorts of curiousities, from the current sequencing of sounds after the "...Gabriel plays it, let's hear him play it" verse to the lyrical twist of the song breaking out of heaven and becoming the biggest hit among the living. Wishful thinking, I suppose, but it's a great way to end the song.

No, this isn't quite the best Sparks album, but it is a great reinvention of the band that allowed them to re-emphasize some of their strengths without dwelling in the past, and I'd definitely recommend it to anybody. It also has to hold the title of "Sparks album most likely to be enjoyed by somebody who otherwise hates Sparks," based on the heavy presence of Moroder and the way that it can work as a dance-pop album and not just a collection of weird post-modern pop music (to varying degrees of weirdness). It's also the last really good Sparks album for a long time, sadly.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1140276) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 01, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "No.1 In Heaven"