NO.1 IN HEAVEN

Sparks

Sparks No.1 In Heaven album cover

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1979

1. Tryouts For The Human Race (6:08)
2. Academy Award Performance (5:01)
3. La Dolce Vita (5:54)
4. Beat The Clock (4:24)
5. My Other Voice (4:55)
6. The Number One Song In Heaven (7:26)

Search SPARKS No.1 In Heaven lyrics

- Keith Forsey / drums
- Jack Moran / backing vocals
- Dan Wyman / synthesiser programming
- Dennis Young / backing vocals

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS No.1 In Heaven Music

New Music for Amnesiacs: Essential CollectionNew Music for Amnesiacs: Essential Collection
Lil Beethoven UK 2013
Kimono My HouseKimono My House
IndiscreetIndiscreet
Big BeatBig Beat
Fontana Island 2006
SPARKS-"PRETENDING TO BE DRUNK" EXTENDED/ NEW MIX-1984 U.S. ISSUE DJ 12" SINGLE US $7.99 [0 bids]
32m 32s
Unknown Artist Chris Sparks CD US $15.00 Buy It Now 32m 44s
Tori Sparks - Scorpion In The Story [CD New] US $12.29 Buy It Now 50m 7s
Tori Sparks - Until Morning/Come Out Of The Dark [CD New] US $16.16 Buy It Now 50m 11s
Elektrikk Sparks 7" 45 HEAR PRIVATE SOUL FUNK Three Sixty Slam Dunk Your Phunk US $30.00 Buy It Now 53m 35s
MAYLAY SPARKS - GRAYMATTER [PA] - NEW CD US $6.77 Buy It Now 1h 2m
STATIC-City Limits/HARMONY SPARKS/Charlotte NC/Rock-Cd US $8.49 Buy It Now 1h 8m
SPARKS Just Got Back From Heaven 12" Record SEALED 1989 US $17.50 Buy It Now 1h 22m
SPARKS & JANE WIEDLIN cool places 12" Record 1983 VG US $22.50 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Sparks of Rhythm Meet Vocaltones - 33 RPM 12" LP - Apollo 1001 - R US $11.00 [0 bids]
(CN125) Pati Yang, Wires & Sparks EP - 2012 DJ CD US $4.97 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Squeezing Out Sparks by Graham Parker (Arista...1979) G+ LP US $2.00 [0 bids]
Not So Merry [EP] [Digipak] by Agent Sparks (CD, Sep-2005, Immortal) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Harry Sokal Groove - Where Sparks Start To Fly [CD New] US $25.46 Buy It Now 2h 33m
HERTZ / ROWDY SPARKS - Delicado - SWAY TECHNO 12" US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Indiscreet & Propaganda *Sparks* cd lot of 2 MADE IN *ENGLAND* US $30.00 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Sparks Street * by Love Huskies (CD, Aug-1998, Gotham Distributing Corp.) US $0.67 [0 bids]
Melted Sunglasses 2009 'Sparks' Rare Lo-Fi 7" White Vinyl NM US $10.99 Buy It Now 2h 58m
California USA U.S.A. vinyl 2x LP NM 1981 SPARKS, Jan & Dean US $12.95 Buy It Now 3h
Once We Were Trees - Beachwood Sparks US $9.45 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Michael Sparks "Praise At Your Own Risk" CD NEW US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 5m
SPARKS 'BIG BEAT' RECORD LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
(EJ789) United Ghosts, Sparks From A Cold Star - 2013 DJ CD US $4.97 Buy It Now 3h 10m
(CD) SPARKS - Kimono My House / Japan Import / PHCR-6717 US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Jordin Sparks, Jordin Sparks, Good US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
YELLOW RED SPARKS Self Titled VINYL LP RECORD NEW! US $19.98 Buy It Now 3h 39m
(AP862) Tommy Sparks, Miracle - DJ CD US $4.97 Buy It Now 3h 42m
SPARKS, and Jane Wiedlin, 7" 45 rpm, "Cool Places", The Go Go's, NM+, Ron Mael US $5.49 [0 bids]
SPARKS - IN OUTER SPACE NEW CD US $17.75 Buy It Now 4h 17m
MATISYAHU "Spark Seeker" LP 2012 Fallen Sparks Records (Vinyl Album) US $24.95 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Mystic Chords of Memory S/T NEW Beachwood Sparks ships Fast not a promo US $3.99 [0 bids]
THROUGH THE SPARKS - WORM MOON WANING [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $8.39 Buy It Now 6h 3m
Sparks, Roy Wood, Trammps, Jim Capaldi etc - Music Express - TE702 (LP) US $1.64 Buy It Now 6h 16m
SPARKS - IPREDICT // MOUSTACHE - EX MINT- 45 US $3.80 [0 bids]
NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS LP Randy Sparks Ramblin' NEAR MINT VINYL FREE SHIPPING US $9.99 [0 bids]
Beachwood Sparks Desert Skies LP sealed vinyl Alive US $18.98 Buy It Now 6h 43m
Awana Sparks Skipper handbook music CD US $2.00 [0 bids]
AGENT SPARKS - RED ROVER!! NEW!! US $4.25 Buy It Now 7h 23m
Sparks The Rescue-Eyes To The Sun (Import CD) with 2 Bonus Tracks US $3.49 [0 bids]
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Jan-2000, Columbia (USA)) US $3.48 Buy It Now 9h 8m
SPARKS Kimono My House V inyl LP Island Label ILPS9272 US $18.26 Buy It Now 10h
SPARKS KIMONO MY HOUSE 1974 JAPAN CD OBI 2100yen PHCR 1ST PRESS US $59.99 Buy It Now 10h 25m
When I'm With You Sparks UK 7" vinyl single record VS319 VIRGIN 1980 US $11.86 Buy It Now 10h 29m
SPARKS ~ Number One Song In Heaven ~ 12" Single PS RED VINYL US $20.92 Buy It Now 10h 29m
Stewboss Let's Go For A Ride UK CD single (CD5 / 5") TDBCDS08 FLYING SPARKS US $9.12 Buy It Now 10h 36m
Sparks-Sparks CD Import Excellent US $15.32 Buy It Now 10h 37m
Miranda Cosgrove Sparks Fly (Australia) CD US $9.52 Buy It Now 10h 40m
Stewboss Sweet Lullabye UK CD album (CDLP) TDBCD064 FLYING SPARKS 2002 US $12.44 Buy It Now 10h 46m
The Prunes ?- Red Moon CD Single Maylay Sparks Shabazz The Disciple US $19.99 [0 bids]
Sparks When I'm With You French 7" vinyl single record 49652 UNDERDOG 1980 US $33.15 Buy It Now 11h 20m
Woodstar CD album (CDLP) Life Sparks UK WCLAYCD007 WET CLAY 2003 US $15.77 Buy It Now 11h 39m
Sparks Exotic Creatures Of The Deep - Sealed UK CD album (CDLP) LBRCD111X US $20.75 Buy It Now 11h 42m
Carnival Art Blue Food & Black Sparks EP CD single (CD5 / 5") UK SIT79CD US $10.53 Buy It Now 11h 57m
GRAHAM PARKER Squeezing Out Sparks 1979 Canadian pressing vinyl LP US $10.80 Buy It Now 12h 23m
ADRIAN MUNSEY c'est sheep 7" produced by sparks. part 1 b/w part 2 (vs266) pic US $8.29 Buy It Now 13h 24m
JORDIN SPARKS - JORDIN SPARKS - 2007 CD NEW [886972966021] US $4.99 Buy It Now 13h 27m
Lazarus Beach, Through the Sparks, Good US $4.15 Buy It Now 13h 35m
SPARKS pic sleeve 45 WHEN I'M WITH YOU 2 versions Germa US $5.00 Buy It Now 13h 43m
Sparks - Shortcuts NEW - (The 7" Mixes (1979-1984), 2012) CD US $13.82 Buy It Now 14h 6m
THE SPARKS LIVE IN LONDON ULTRA RARE NEW SEALED DVD! US $27.09 Buy It Now 15h 23m
SEALED LARRY SPARKS BLUEGRASS GOSPEL LP - THE TESTING TIMES!! US $14.99 Buy It Now 15h 28m
Sparks Looks Looks Looks/Pineapple - UK - 7" Vinyl 45 US $3.31 Buy It Now 16h 17m
Sparks Young Girls 7" vinyl single record UK VS343 VIRGIN 1980 US $12.36 Buy It Now 16h 29m
Sparks Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth - P/S 7" vinyl single record UK US $19.02 Buy It Now 16h 41m
Sparks Balls - Yellow Case UK CD album (CDLP) CDREC510Y LIFT OFF US $17.43 Buy It Now 16h 50m
CD promo - Sparks vs Faith No More - This Town Ain't Big Enough..... US $4.97 [0 bids]
CD promo - Sparks - The Number One Song In Heaven US $3.31 [1 bids]
SPARKS IN OUTER SPACE LP - Atlantic 80005 (1983) US $10.50 Buy It Now 17h 11m
Sparks 7" vinyl single record Amateur Hour UK WIP6203 ISLAND 1974 US $21.52 Buy It Now 17h 20m
Pages From An Autograph Book Sparks memorabilia UK Autographed AUTOGRAPHS N/A US $129.51 Buy It Now 17h 33m
Sparks 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) 4-track E.P. UK VS590-12 VIRGIN 1983 US $30.32 Buy It Now 17h 53m
Sparks-Pulling Rabbits Out Of A HAT-orig. press PRISTINE LP NEAR MINT!!w/sleeve! US $6.99 Buy It Now 18h 8m
Sparks The Lowry concert ticket UK CONCERT TICKET 2006 US $18.28 Buy It Now 18h 15m
Sparks No. 1 Songs In Heaven - A Sparks Biography UK book CRBOOK38 US $20.59 Buy It Now 18h 27m
Sparks 7" vinyl single record Funny Face UK WHY4 WHY 1981 US $13.54 Buy It Now 18h 32m
Sparks Funny Face French 7" vinyl single record 49.756 UNDERDOG 1981 US $33.15 Buy It Now 18h 44m
Sparks Young Girls 7" vinyl single record French 49.705 UNDERDOG 1980 US $33.15 Buy It Now 18h 44m
All Sparks Editors 2-CD single (Double CD single) UK SKCD84/842 KITCHENWARE US $21.00 Buy It Now 18h 56m
SPARKS tryouts for the human race 7" PS EX/VG uk US $11.61 Buy It Now 19h 8m
Disconet - Volume 7 Program 2- Sparks/Alides Hiding- 12" Disc one only US $2.99 [0 bids]
Trevor Sparks Baby Gimme Love 12"Lovers Digital English Sandra Cain This Thing.. US $8.29 Buy It Now 19h 20m
Jordin Sparks Tattoo USDJ US DJ Radio Promo CD Single US $4.99 [0 bids]
J.J. SPARKS - I AM DREAMING 7" 45 1982 REGGAE VINYL US $8.29 Buy It Now 19h 37m
Sparks "The number one song in heaven "vinyl 45 record US $1.64 [0 bids]
Looking For Sparks Sea Fruit UK CD single (CD5 / 5") ECCD3032 ELECTRIC CANYON US $11.12 Buy It Now 19h 44m
DECCA group rocker 45 THE SPARKS - Ol' Man River + Mary Mary Lou US $3.00 [0 bids]
45 Sparks & Jane Wiedlin/Cool Places/Sports/Atlantic/USA/NM- HEAR US $5.00 Buy It Now 20h 7m
EDITORS All Sparks Rare 2006 Japan 1-Track DJ CD Single US $49.99 Buy It Now 20h 17m
SPARKS Music You Can Dance To 1986 USA LP MCA RECORDS 5780 US $4.99 Buy It Now 20h 17m
Raising Drug-Resistant Children/Roger W Sparks/Cassette/SEALED US $5.00 Buy It Now 20h 21m
Sparks - In Outer Space [CD New] US $10.93 Buy It Now 20h 31m
SISSYFACE/HUTCH/TEN FOUR/VEHICLE - With A Shower Of Sparks - 7" US $7.04 Buy It Now 20h 36m
Sparks Fingertips 12" Vinyl Single VG- US $3.98 Buy It Now 20h 44m
SPARKS WHEN I'M WITH YOU PS 45 1980 US $0.83 [0 bids]
SPARKS " AMATEUR HOUR " 7" SINGLE 1974 ISLAND RECORDS EXCELLENT US $3.31 Buy It Now 21h 22m
SPARKS THE RESCUE - Eyes To The Sun - CD US $19.52 Buy It Now 21h 24m
L7 - Pretend We're Dead USA Promo CD 1992 Mega Rare Donita Sparks US $19.99 Buy It Now 21h 26m
SPARKS-NO.1 IN HEAVEN-JAPAN SHM-CD BONUS TRACK D95 US $22.99 Buy It Now 21h 39m
SPARKS Number one song CD TIN TIN OUT MIX& INSTRUMENTAL US $34.99 Buy It Now 21h 41m
The Wookies-Sparks CD EP Very Good US $7.38 Buy It Now 21h 50m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS No.1 In Heaven ratings distribution

SPARKS No.1 In Heaven reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars After failing to grasp the attention of audiences with Big Beat and Introducing Sparks, Sparks teamed up with the Italian record producer/songwriter Giorgio Moroder to record No. 1 In Heaven.

Moroder is often credited with pioneering synthesizer disco and electronic dance music, hence it was pretty obvious that this collaboration would not result in a traditional rock record. Tryouts For The Human Race kicks things off with a steady synthesizer beat and things continue in the same style all throughout the record. Most of the tracks sound like a complete reinvention of the band's '70s sound and Academy Award Performance is probably the closest the band gets to their roots.

Even though I can understand the need for this shift in direction that Sparks undertake on this record and can appreciate the complete dedication that the duo show throughout these six tracks, this record feels to mechanic and cold for my tastes. Most of the songs are actually quite catchy but I lack the memorable arrangements that would complete my Sparks experience. I get quite tired of hearing the same beat for more than 2-3 minutes and all of these tracks are well past the 4 minute mark.

Having said that, I still find No. 1 In Heaven to be a pretty solid record, if anything, it's probably the most consistent album that the band have released in the '80s. If you like electronic dance music then this will be a perfect place to start exploring Sparks, if not, then start with their '70s records and work your way up to No. 1 In Heaven and it's followup Terminal Jive.

**** star songs: Tryouts For The Human Race (6:08) Academy Award Performance (5:01) Beat The Clock (4:24) My Other Voice (4:55) The Number One Song In Heaven (7:26)

*** star songs: La Dolce Vita (5:54)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#1100900) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars Enter Giorgio Moroder. While I like Big Beat and Introducing Sparks, there's no question that the band had stagnated some with those albums, and the brothers were looking to go in a new direction. Through various channels, the two of them managed to hook up with Moroder, whose stock as a writer and producer of slick synthesizer-dominated dance music was at a high point from his film work and from his work with such luminaries as Donna Summer. The album that resulted from this collaboration differed immensely from what the band had done before in a few ways: its 33-minute run-time contains but six tracks, four of which give partial writing credits to Moroder (with Moroder explicitly listed first in one of them); the songs consist entirely of keyboards, drums and vocals, with guitar and bass removed entirely; the songs are built around extensive cycling of a few ideas, and are clearly made to appeal to a Euro-pop/disco mindset as much as a Sparks mindset.

This turned out to be a pretty nice fit for the band, all things considered. After all, as many instances as there might have been of enjoyable guitar work on Sparks albums to this point, Sparks was ultimately a band built around keyboards, snide lyrics and great vocal melodies, and this album puts those aspects front and center. Yes, a couple more distinct ideas per track would have been nice, and there are definitely lengthy stretches where I feel like the brothers somewhat disappear behind the wall of Moroder slickness, but these are flaws that I only notice after the fact, when I feel like I've listened to an album that's a good deal shorter than it actually is (and this is a pretty short album as is). While I don't agree with the band's assessment of this as their best album (or so I've read), I can understand why they'd feel that way.

The opening "Tryouts for the Human Race" sets the album's feel in place immediately, making a song about sperm racing to be the one that unites with the egg into what's probably the most epic six minutes the band had put together yet. Everything about the song feels hot and sticky and moist, from the "dripping" synth sound that starts things off to the swirling sounds in the background to the various synth lines to the pounding beat to the vocal lines. And oh man, the idea of people dancing to lyrics like "We just want to feel the sun and be your little daughter or your son/We're just words that lovers use, words that light that automatic fuse/When that love explosion comes, my, oh my, we want to be someone" just fills me with all sorts of glee. Up next is "Academy Winning Performance," credited solely to Ron, and if it's weaker it's not by much. The thick production lets up a little bit, which is good and bad, but Russell's delivery of a put-down against a woman who's an expert at playiing different roles to ensare men is venomous enough to offset whatever drop in atmosphere there might be.

Far more venomous, though, is the following "La Dolce Vita," a decadent, lush, driving put- down of gold-digging women ("Mira, mira, guys, there's Lira in her eyes" is a typical line), full of alternation between lengthy synth solos and hellish sequenced passages over the best dancable rhythm of the album. Man, is "I catch a cold just by looking in your eyes" a great put-down. Flipping over to side 2, we come to "Beat the Clock" (without a Moroder credit), a 100% disco track musically and a 100% crackup lyrically. The chorus: "I've seen everything there is/I've done everything there is/I've met everyone but Liz/Now I've even met ol' Liz/No time for relationship/Skip the foreplay, let 'er rip/You gotta beat the clock, beat the clock/Beat the clock, beat the clock."

Up next is "My Other Voice," and while I tended to consider it lesser for a long time due to the fact that Moroder is clearly the most prominent figure in the track (he's listed first for a reason), I have to give beautiful atmosphere its due, no matter how it's produced. The first half of the track is instrumental and at first seems like it would better fit into the middle of a contemporary soundtrack than this album, but then a synth (apparently not a guitar like I thought initially) comes in and plays a rather lovely interlude over the atmospheric background, and then a vocoder pops in as a prelude to the vocal portion of the song. Russell then sings a verse of a really lovely vocal melody (with a great delivery too; the way he sings the "oooooy" of the line "With my other voice I can destroy this room" is heavenly), and then a vocoder sings the same melody with different lyrics, and overall the song makes a fine journey from confusing to uplifting in its five minutes.

Finally, there's "The Number One Song in Heaven," which consolidates all of the production effects and keyboard approaches of the rest of the album, and uses them to flesh out a 7- minute "epic" (by Sparks standards anyway) in two parts. The first half is slow and atmospheric in a way that's similar to "My Other Voice," and then the song suddenly turns into an up-tempo techno/disco number with Russell bellowing, "It's number one all over heaven/It's number one all over heaven/It's number one all over heaven/THE NUMBER ONE SONG IN ALL OF HEAVEN!" to herald the second half. The second half is full of all sorts of curiousities, from the current sequencing of sounds after the "...Gabriel plays it, let's hear him play it" verse to the lyrical twist of the song breaking out of heaven and becoming the biggest hit among the living. Wishful thinking, I suppose, but it's a great way to end the song.

No, this isn't quite the best Sparks album, but it is a great reinvention of the band that allowed them to re-emphasize some of their strengths without dwelling in the past, and I'd definitely recommend it to anybody. It also has to hold the title of "Sparks album most likely to be enjoyed by somebody who otherwise hates Sparks," based on the heavy presence of Moroder and the way that it can work as a dance-pop album and not just a collection of weird post-modern pop music (to varying degrees of weirdness). It's also the last really good Sparks album for a long time, sadly.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1140276) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 01, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "No.1 In Heaven"