NO.1 IN HEAVEN

Sparks

Sparks No.1 In Heaven album cover

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1979

1. Tryouts For The Human Race (6:08)
2. Academy Award Performance (5:01)
3. La Dolce Vita (5:54)
4. Beat The Clock (4:24)
5. My Other Voice (4:55)
6. The Number One Song In Heaven (7:26)

Search SPARKS No.1 In Heaven lyrics

- Keith Forsey / drums
- Jack Moran / backing vocals
- Dan Wyman / synthesiser programming
- Dennis Young / backing vocals

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS No.1 In Heaven Music

Kimono My HouseKimono My House
Fontana Island 2006
New Music for Amnesiacs: Essential CollectionNew Music for Amnesiacs: Essential Collection
Lil Beethoven UK 2013
Best ofBest of
Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2000
PropagandaPropaganda
IndiscreetIndiscreet
Unknown Artist Sparks in the Dark CD US $4.43 Buy It Now 31m 4s
BEACHWOOD SPARKS - S/T - CD SUB POP LAMBCHOP SHINS APPLES IN STEREO US $6.99 [0 bids]
52m 16s
PHYLLIS TAYLOR SPARKS - ACCENTS FOR SOLO HARP NEW CD US $15.40 Buy It Now 56m 54s
Johnny Rivers, Ricky Nelson, Randy Sparks, unopened 8 track cartridge US $7.50 [1 bids]
57m 38s
Vinnie Moore Live UFO guitarist Wayne Findlay Shane Gaalaas Barry Sparks MSG US $4.99 [0 bids]
Squeezing Out Sparks by Graham Parker (Arista...1979) G+ LP US $2.00 [0 bids]
Born into Trouble as the Sparks Fly Upward by A Silver Mt. Zion (CD,... US $2.99 [1 bids]
RANDY SPARKS: Hazy Sunshine (vocalists vinyl 45) dj US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 42m
New Christy Minstrels RAMBLIN' "Green Green" LP record Randy Sparks cs US $9.07 Buy It Now 1h 48m
SPARKS -- Pulling rabbits out of a hat -- 1984 LP release US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 56m
SPARKS - "Pretending To Be Drunk" 1984 1st US PROMO ONLY 7" Single - Atlantic US $17.88 Buy It Now 2h
RANDY SPARKS: The Big Night (oldies vinyl 45) wol US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 20m
RAD Soundtrack 1986 ORIGINAL VINYL LP BMX X Games Farnham Beat Farmers Sparks US $82.25 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $1.50 [0 bids]
Larry Sparks & The Lonesome Ramblers - 'Ramblin' Bluegrass - Cassette SEALED US $4.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS & JANE WIEDLIN Cool Places 45 rpm PICTURE SLEEVE Atlantic 1983 New Wave US $6.95 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Graham Parker & the Rumour- Squeezing Out Sparks- used cassette- mint US $1.00 Buy It Now 3h 8m
SPARKS, LARRY sparklin' bluegrass VG/VG USA KB-531 | 13-1119-027 US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 40m
SPARKS, LARRY kinda lonesome VG/VG USA L101 / 791236 | 13-1119-028 US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 40m
SPARKS, LARRY the footsteps of tradition G/VG USA KB-527 | 13-1119-031 US $17.99 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Zero 1 CD featuring Hal Sparks, Miles Loretta, Robert Hall Zero One US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 46m
Sparks (Deluxe Edition) by Imogen Heap CD (2014) Brand New Ships Worldwide US $28.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Sparks by Imogen Heap Vinyl Record (2014) Brand New Ships Worldwide US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 42m
Pop Promo 45 TOM SPARKS (Walkin' Down a) Country Road o US $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 16m
THE SPARKS DEBUT ALBUM 1972 ORIG. WHITE LABEL PROMO VINYL LP EX+ VERY RARE US $99.99 Buy It Now 6h 22m
LARRY SPARKS - COLDEST PART OF WINTER NEW CD US $21.89 Buy It Now 6h 24m
The NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS TODAY Randy Sparks LP STEREO Shrinkwrap Columbia 60s US $19.00 Buy It Now 6h 31m
Jordin Sparks - S/T JAPAN CD+1Bonus Mint W/OBI #33-4 US $7.14 Buy It Now 6h 55m
7"-Single TREVOR WHITE - Crazy Kids (1976 ) RARE GERMANY PS / THE JOOK / SPARKS US $79.99 Buy It Now 7h 36m
NM- LARRY SPARKS COUNTRY LP IN SHRINK WRAP - BLUES SPARKS! REBEL 1618! US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 4m
Beachwood Sparks by Beachwood Sparks (PROMO CD, Mar-2000, Sub Pop (USA)) US $8.25 Buy It Now 9h 6m
Thee Silver Mt Zion - Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upwards (CD) CST018-2 US $24.88 Buy It Now 10h 5m
SPARKS - NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON MOTHER EARTH WIP 6211 7" VINYL RECORD VG 29 US $4.96 Buy It Now 10h 5m
Miranda Cosgrove - Sparks Fly CD COLUMBIA US $12.81 Buy It Now 10h 28m
Sparks - Balls CD Pop Rock US $28.38 Buy It Now 10h 29m
Tori Sparks - Scorpion In The Story CD US $15.24 Buy It Now 10h 36m
Agent Sparks,NEW CD,Red Rover US $2.29 Buy It Now 10h 44m
BEACHWOOD SPARKS - TARNISHED GOLD NEW VINYL US $29.78 Buy It Now 11h 5m
SPARKS, A WOOFER IN TWEETER'S CLOTHING, LP 1973 GERMANY 1ST PRESS A1/B1 VG/EX US $26.54 Buy It Now 11h 24m
SPARKS, INDISCREET, LP 1975 UK VG/VG+, GATEFOLD/SL ILPS 9345 US $11.60 Buy It Now 11h 24m
SPARKS - MORODER - FUNNY FACE - rare Italy ps 7'' US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 40m
SPARKS_Exotic Creatures Of The Deep_used CD_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $9.31 Buy It Now 11h 43m
Chrysler,NEW CD,Failures & Sparks US $6.49 Buy It Now 11h 50m
GROVER Tiny Blue Sparks CD MOGWAI Mono UK NEW Sealed US $17.49 Buy It Now 12h 19m
Woodstar : Life Sparks CD (2004) US $5.97 Buy It Now 12h 20m
Battlefield, Jordin Sparks, New US $4.00 Buy It Now 12h 49m
SPARKS ACHOO USA ISLAND PROMO RARE VINTAGE VINYL 7" RECORD GLAM ROCK RON MAEL US $26.99 Buy It Now 12h 50m
Sparks Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins CD Synthpop 1995 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Angst In My Pants - Sparks New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $23.22 Buy It Now 13h 7m
SPARKS - INTRODUCING SPARKS - LBRCDRUS US $19.14 Buy It Now 13h 24m
HUI / WORTHINGTON / CHRISTIE / KULESHA / MORISON - & BLUE SPARKS BURN NEW CD US $23.79 Buy It Now 13h 25m
Sparks - New Music For Amnesiacs - The Essential Collection - LBRCD7 US $27.48 Buy It Now 13h 30m
JORDIN SPARKS - JORDIN SPARKS - BONUS TRACK (IMPORT) NEW CD US $55.07 Buy It Now 14h 5m
BEACHWOOD SPARKS "Desert Skies" LP 2013, Alive (Vinyl) US $23.00 Buy It Now 14h 26m
I'm a Gittar Player by Melvin Sparks (CD, Jun-1997, Cannonball Records) Jazz US $0.99 [0 bids]
Beachwood Sparks - THE TARNISHED GOLD CD [2012] US $6.99 Buy It Now 14h 42m
CARNIVAL ART blue food and black sparks 12" 4 trk ep featuring hammer and nails, US $8.28 Buy It Now 14h 49m
LASSE LINDH - Sparks +1 Bonus Track CD $2.99 S/H US $13.93 Buy It Now 15h 22m
Ultimix 136 CD Ultimix Records Fergie,Natasha Bedingfield,Jordin Sparks US $5.00 Buy It Now 15h 29m
1984 SPARKS Pretending To Be Drunk 45 SINGLE ATLANTIC RECORDS PROMO US $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 34m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $5.26 Buy It Now 15h 37m
MARTIN GORDON Joy Of More Hogwash CD Power Pop / Art Rock / Prog SPARKS 2005 US $8.99 Buy It Now 15h 42m
SPARKS, Melvin - Akilah! - LP US $21.74 Buy It Now 15h 49m
SPARKS - When I'm With You 45 PS Germany 1980 Moroder EX/VG+ US $17.99 Buy It Now 15h 54m
Season Of The Sparks - Adrian Crowley New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $20.79 Buy It Now 15h 59m
YELLOW RED SPARKS NEW CD US $17.32 Buy It Now 15h 59m
SPARKS: Music That You Can Dance To/Fingerprints US $8.50 Buy It Now 16h 2m
Sparks-1979 magazine advert US $8.28 Buy It Now 16h 24m
THROUGH THE SPARKS - COIN TOSS (EP) NEW CD US $13.11 Buy It Now 16h 25m
ADRIAN CROWLEY - SEASON OF SPARKS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $20.74 Buy It Now 16h 57m
LARRY SPARKS - RAMBLIN BLUEGRASS NEW CD US $12.74 Buy It Now 17h 5m
THROUGH THE SPARKS - WORM MOON WANING (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $16.92 Buy It Now 17h 6m
THE SHAMBLES reviving sparks early tracks demos CD JAPAN POWER POP MOD L@@K US $19.99 Buy It Now 17h 17m
Minton Sparks - This Dress [CD New] US $20.03 Buy It Now 17h 24m
SPARKS ORIGINAL PROPAGANDA ALBUM 1974 ! US $9.99 [0 bids]
Jeff Sparks - Jazzy Christmas With Jeff Sparks [CD New] US $13.21 Buy It Now 17h 27m
SPARKS Big Beat JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +6 US $24.99 [0 bids]
Agent Sparks - Red Rover [CD New] US $8.24 Buy It Now 17h 37m
SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD ALBUM TO US 1977 PROMO LP (AEROSMITH SANTANA KANSAS SPARKS) US $5.29 Buy It Now 17h 57m
CD TORI SPARKS UNDER THIS YELLOW SUN NEW FACTORY SEALED CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 6m
SPARKS UK 1995 CD Single WHEN I KISS YOU I Hear Charlie Parker Playing 26426.2 US $4.96 Buy It Now 18h 22m
Ultimix 142 CD Ultimix Records Jonas Brothers,Jordin Sparks,The Ting Tings,Bleu US $5.00 Buy It Now 18h 30m
SPARKS - TWO HANDS ONE MOUTH LIVE IN EUROPE NEW CD US $28.76 Buy It Now 18h 47m
SPARKS Propaganda CD MINI LP US $15.49 Buy It Now 18h 55m
SPARKS - NEW MUSIC FOR AMNESIACS: ESSENTIAL COLLECTION NEW CD US $33.71 Buy It Now 19h 4m
Sparks of Seven Album No. 1 CD US $7.38 Buy It Now 19h 16m
SPARKS CD GOLD DISC RECORD LP DISPLAY FREE P&P! US $149.36 Buy It Now 19h 18m
JET MARKET - SPARKS AGAINST DARKNESS JAPAN TOUR BONUS CD RARE [CD NEW] US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS funny face 7" WS EX/M uk why US $11.60 Buy It Now 19h 46m
SPARKS so important 12" 3 trk extremely important mix b/w single version and jus US $8.28 Buy It Now 19h 51m
SPARKS when i kiss you 12" 4 trk promo red jerry mix, when i dub you mix b/w bea US $8.28 Buy It Now 19h 51m
SPARKS when i kiss you 12" 3 trk radio edit promo (74321267691) european logic 1 US $8.28 Buy It Now 19h 52m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Trevor Sparks "A little way Different" L.P. and Jacket Mint - US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS - PROPAGANDA [BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $10.15 Buy It Now 20h 34m
RARE FIND, THE NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS, VINTAGE VINYL LP CL 1941 Randy Sparks VG+ US $4.95 [0 bids]
JORDIN SPARKS - PERMANENT MONDAY 1-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS208 # US $2.99 Buy It Now 20h 57m
Papa John DeFrancesco - Hip Cake Walk CD Melvin Sparks US $12.99 Buy It Now 21h 22m
EDITORS ALL SPARKS CD RARE Includes 3 NON-LP Tracks * NEW * VIDEO SEALED US $19.99 Buy It Now 21h 26m
RAZZY BAILEY-SPARKS PLANTATION PLP 47 NEW SEALED LP US $11.98 Buy It Now 21h 32m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS No.1 In Heaven ratings distribution

SPARKS No.1 In Heaven reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars After failing to grasp the attention of audiences with Big Beat and Introducing Sparks, Sparks teamed up with the Italian record producer/songwriter Giorgio Moroder to record No. 1 In Heaven.

Moroder is often credited with pioneering synthesizer disco and electronic dance music, hence it was pretty obvious that this collaboration would not result in a traditional rock record. Tryouts For The Human Race kicks things off with a steady synthesizer beat and things continue in the same style all throughout the record. Most of the tracks sound like a complete reinvention of the band's '70s sound and Academy Award Performance is probably the closest the band gets to their roots.

Even though I can understand the need for this shift in direction that Sparks undertake on this record and can appreciate the complete dedication that the duo show throughout these six tracks, this record feels to mechanic and cold for my tastes. Most of the songs are actually quite catchy but I lack the memorable arrangements that would complete my Sparks experience. I get quite tired of hearing the same beat for more than 2-3 minutes and all of these tracks are well past the 4 minute mark.

Having said that, I still find No. 1 In Heaven to be a pretty solid record, if anything, it's probably the most consistent album that the band have released in the '80s. If you like electronic dance music then this will be a perfect place to start exploring Sparks, if not, then start with their '70s records and work your way up to No. 1 In Heaven and it's followup Terminal Jive.

**** star songs: Tryouts For The Human Race (6:08) Academy Award Performance (5:01) Beat The Clock (4:24) My Other Voice (4:55) The Number One Song In Heaven (7:26)

*** star songs: La Dolce Vita (5:54)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#1100900) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars Enter Giorgio Moroder. While I like Big Beat and Introducing Sparks, there's no question that the band had stagnated some with those albums, and the brothers were looking to go in a new direction. Through various channels, the two of them managed to hook up with Moroder, whose stock as a writer and producer of slick synthesizer-dominated dance music was at a high point from his film work and from his work with such luminaries as Donna Summer. The album that resulted from this collaboration differed immensely from what the band had done before in a few ways: its 33-minute run-time contains but six tracks, four of which give partial writing credits to Moroder (with Moroder explicitly listed first in one of them); the songs consist entirely of keyboards, drums and vocals, with guitar and bass removed entirely; the songs are built around extensive cycling of a few ideas, and are clearly made to appeal to a Euro-pop/disco mindset as much as a Sparks mindset.

This turned out to be a pretty nice fit for the band, all things considered. After all, as many instances as there might have been of enjoyable guitar work on Sparks albums to this point, Sparks was ultimately a band built around keyboards, snide lyrics and great vocal melodies, and this album puts those aspects front and center. Yes, a couple more distinct ideas per track would have been nice, and there are definitely lengthy stretches where I feel like the brothers somewhat disappear behind the wall of Moroder slickness, but these are flaws that I only notice after the fact, when I feel like I've listened to an album that's a good deal shorter than it actually is (and this is a pretty short album as is). While I don't agree with the band's assessment of this as their best album (or so I've read), I can understand why they'd feel that way.

The opening "Tryouts for the Human Race" sets the album's feel in place immediately, making a song about sperm racing to be the one that unites with the egg into what's probably the most epic six minutes the band had put together yet. Everything about the song feels hot and sticky and moist, from the "dripping" synth sound that starts things off to the swirling sounds in the background to the various synth lines to the pounding beat to the vocal lines. And oh man, the idea of people dancing to lyrics like "We just want to feel the sun and be your little daughter or your son/We're just words that lovers use, words that light that automatic fuse/When that love explosion comes, my, oh my, we want to be someone" just fills me with all sorts of glee. Up next is "Academy Winning Performance," credited solely to Ron, and if it's weaker it's not by much. The thick production lets up a little bit, which is good and bad, but Russell's delivery of a put-down against a woman who's an expert at playiing different roles to ensare men is venomous enough to offset whatever drop in atmosphere there might be.

Far more venomous, though, is the following "La Dolce Vita," a decadent, lush, driving put- down of gold-digging women ("Mira, mira, guys, there's Lira in her eyes" is a typical line), full of alternation between lengthy synth solos and hellish sequenced passages over the best dancable rhythm of the album. Man, is "I catch a cold just by looking in your eyes" a great put-down. Flipping over to side 2, we come to "Beat the Clock" (without a Moroder credit), a 100% disco track musically and a 100% crackup lyrically. The chorus: "I've seen everything there is/I've done everything there is/I've met everyone but Liz/Now I've even met ol' Liz/No time for relationship/Skip the foreplay, let 'er rip/You gotta beat the clock, beat the clock/Beat the clock, beat the clock."

Up next is "My Other Voice," and while I tended to consider it lesser for a long time due to the fact that Moroder is clearly the most prominent figure in the track (he's listed first for a reason), I have to give beautiful atmosphere its due, no matter how it's produced. The first half of the track is instrumental and at first seems like it would better fit into the middle of a contemporary soundtrack than this album, but then a synth (apparently not a guitar like I thought initially) comes in and plays a rather lovely interlude over the atmospheric background, and then a vocoder pops in as a prelude to the vocal portion of the song. Russell then sings a verse of a really lovely vocal melody (with a great delivery too; the way he sings the "oooooy" of the line "With my other voice I can destroy this room" is heavenly), and then a vocoder sings the same melody with different lyrics, and overall the song makes a fine journey from confusing to uplifting in its five minutes.

Finally, there's "The Number One Song in Heaven," which consolidates all of the production effects and keyboard approaches of the rest of the album, and uses them to flesh out a 7- minute "epic" (by Sparks standards anyway) in two parts. The first half is slow and atmospheric in a way that's similar to "My Other Voice," and then the song suddenly turns into an up-tempo techno/disco number with Russell bellowing, "It's number one all over heaven/It's number one all over heaven/It's number one all over heaven/THE NUMBER ONE SONG IN ALL OF HEAVEN!" to herald the second half. The second half is full of all sorts of curiousities, from the current sequencing of sounds after the "...Gabriel plays it, let's hear him play it" verse to the lyrical twist of the song breaking out of heaven and becoming the biggest hit among the living. Wishful thinking, I suppose, but it's a great way to end the song.

No, this isn't quite the best Sparks album, but it is a great reinvention of the band that allowed them to re-emphasize some of their strengths without dwelling in the past, and I'd definitely recommend it to anybody. It also has to hold the title of "Sparks album most likely to be enjoyed by somebody who otherwise hates Sparks," based on the heavy presence of Moroder and the way that it can work as a dance-pop album and not just a collection of weird post-modern pop music (to varying degrees of weirdness). It's also the last really good Sparks album for a long time, sadly.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1140276) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 01, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "No.1 In Heaven"