TERMINAL JIVE

Sparks

Sparks Terminal Jive album cover

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1980

1. When I'm With You (5:45)
2. Just Because You Love Me (4:35)
3. Rock 'N Roll People In A Disco World (4:48)
4. When I'm With You (3:45)
5. Young Girls (4:51)
6. Noisy Boys (3:55)
7. Stereo (3:59)
8. The Greatest Show On Earth (4:16)

Search SPARKS Terminal Jive lyrics

Label: Virgin
Producer: Giorgio Moroder, Harold Faltermeyer
Released: 1980
Recorded: 1979

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Terminal Jive Music

Big BeatBig Beat
Sparks / Woofer in Tweeter's ClothingSparks / Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing
Edsel Records UK 2013
Kimono My HouseKimono My House
PropagandaPropaganda
IndiscreetIndiscreet
Fontana Island 2006
Introducing Sparks (Russell Sleeve)Introducing Sparks (Russell Sleeve)
Lil Beethoven 2008
SPARKS 7"Single -Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth US $11.22 Buy It Now 35m 23s
Radio Stars~Original UK EP Stop it EX 1977 John's Children Sparks New Wave Punk US $11.40 Buy It Now 3h 18m
cd-album, Sparks - Music That You Can Dance To, The Best Of US $10.53 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Sparks - Balls (Limited Edition) ..New Sealed CD 2000 US $9.62 Buy It Now 4h 14m
DJ SPARKS Hang Dem High Alpha Mix Omega Mix classic Yaw 1993 ragga jungle US $35.00 Buy It Now 4h 41m
Jordin Sparks ?- S.O.S. (Let The Music Play) CD Promo 9 mixes US $16.04 Buy It Now 4h 47m
CONCRETE BLONDE-Bloodletting/VOWEL MOVEMENT/Pretty & And Twisted/DREAM 6/Sparks US $8.49 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Maybe You've Been Brainwashed [PA] by Clinton Sparks (CD, Mar-2005, Landspeed... US $6.50 Buy It Now 5h 21m
GRAHAM PARKER & THE RUMOUR Squeezing Out Sparks 1979 VG+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 33m
2010 ALLEN & GINTER AUTO RED INK: JORDIN SPARKS #10/10 AUTOGRAPH AMERICAN IDOL US $220.03 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Desert Skies - Sparks Beachwood New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $20.48 Buy It Now 6h 27m
Sparks: Beat The Clock: 1979 UK Release. Picture Sleeve: Excellent US $1.61 [1 bids]
EDITORS ALL SPARKS EU 2TR CD SKCD84 2006 THE DIPLOMAT EX CON STICKERED US $6.40 Buy It Now 7h 3m
12"-Maxi SPARKS - Modesty Plays / Angst In My Pants (1982) FRANCE PS US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 34m
12"-Maxi SPARKS - When I Kiss You (1995) PROMO / BLACK REMIXES / GERMANY PRESS US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 34m
SAD AMONG STRANGERS: Sparks Fly Upwards / A Better Vie US $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 37m
SPARKS ORIGINAL US BEARSVILLE ROCK 1972 LP CLEAN US $9.99 [0 bids]
Sparks - Something For The Girl With Everything 45 7" Island WIP.6221 US $7.25 Buy It Now 7h 56m
SPARKS UK 1987 12" Single ROSEBUD US $4.41 Buy It Now 8h 10m
Melvin Sparks "75" Jazz Funk LP 20th Century Westbound US $11.07 [4 bids]
SPARKS Just Got Back from Heaven CD new DENMARK US $19.90 Buy It Now 8h 35m
Sparks - Beat The Clock 7" Single (1979) US $5.44 Buy It Now 8h 36m
Sparks - Gratuitous Sax & Violins NEW CD US $14.32 Buy It Now 8h 36m
THE SPARKS Russell MAEL 50mm x 50mm PROMO photo slide negative #C/7608 US $8.01 Buy It Now 8h 43m
Little Brother Montgomery "Farish St. Jive" /Sparks Bros. on Bluebird B-10177 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Country/Bluegrass 45 LARRY SPARKS Starday 957 WLP "Kentucky Chimes" Near Mint US $7.99 [0 bids]
Emits Showers of Sparks [Import] [Audio CD] Sixteen Deluxe US $5.00 Buy It Now 9h 9m
SPARKS 12" WHEN DO I GET TO SING MY WAY? 4 Mixes US $6.79 Buy It Now 9h 12m
BEACHWOOD SPARKS CD GREAT CA COUNTRY ROCK PSYCH SEALED BYRDS FLYING BURRITO BROS US $7.99 Buy It Now 9h 52m
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks CD 1999 ARCD8075 US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 55m
Lasse Lindh - Sparks [CD New] US $21.10 Buy It Now 9h 59m
IMOGEN HEAP "Sparks" 2LP 2014 RCA/Megaphonic (Vinyl) New Sealed US $29.95 Buy It Now 10h 2m
Sahara Hotnights - Sparks [CD New] US $31.33 Buy It Now 10h 3m
Blits by Various Artists LP Record 33 RPM Bow Wow Wow-Sparks-Polyrock 1981 US $2.99 [0 bids]
RANDY SPARKS these thousand hills 7" PS EX/VG hong kong US $11.22 Buy It Now 10h 21m
Graham Parker 3 LP Lot Squeezing Out Sparks,Stick to Me,The Up Escalator. US $5.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS music that you can dance to 7" PS EX/EX uk wos US $11.22 Buy It Now 10h 25m
SPARKS a woofer in tweeter's clothing BEARSVILLE 1972 Warner Bros US LP (NM) US $35.00 Buy It Now 10h 27m
"Larry Sparks Sings Hank Williams" 1977 County LP/ Ricky Skaggs/ Chubby Wise US $7.99 [0 bids]
Larry Sparks & The Lonesome Ramblers "It's Never Too Late" 1980 June Appzl LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
GRAHAM PARKER-SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS-12" LP ALBUM-VERTIGO 1979-9102 030-EX+ US $8.01 [0 bids]
SPARKS - GIRL FROM GERMANY / BEAVER O'LINDY - BEARSVILLE K15516 US $12.83 [0 bids]
NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS~RARE LOT OF 4 NM/NM FOLK PROMO LP COLLECTION~RANDY SPARKS US $40.00 Buy It Now 10h 45m
Larry Sparks & The Lonesome Ramblers "The Testing Times" 1983 Rebel LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
Sparks - New Music For Amnesiacs: Essential Collection [CD New] US $24.98 Buy It Now 10h 46m
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Apr-2010, Columbia (USA)) US $1.00 [0 bids]
Larry Sparks "Blue Sparks" 1983 Rebel LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
Larry Sparks And The Lonesome Ramblers "Dark Hollow" 1982 Rebel Comp.LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
VA - The Boys Are Back In Town CD.Thin Lizzy,Alice Cooper,Free,G Glitter,Sparks. US $2.73 [3 bids]
11h
Randy Sparks LP R.S. & the B.P.M. Initial Album US $24.99 Buy It Now 11h
JIM HUNTER Sparks In Flight: Live RARE SEALED CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 11h 4m
TREVOR SPARKS ~ Rosemarie / MICHAEL LEVY ~ Baby Be Mine ~ 12" Single US $19.25 Buy It Now 11h 7m
Jimmie Lunceford "Last Sparks 1941-1944" Unopened Record Album MCA -1321 US $6.00 [0 bids]
Little Princess - Tim Sparks New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $21.88 Buy It Now 11h 55m
Soundtrack Valley Girl 2x LP NEW [Japan Import SPARKS Plimsouls Modern English] US $39.95 Buy It Now 11h 56m
Mael Intuition / Best Of Sparks 1974-76 Sparks Audio CD US $14.01 Buy It Now 11h 57m
Squeezing Out Sparks Graham Parker Audio CD US $14.01 Buy It Now 12h 29m
Pharoahe Monch CLinton Sparks The Awakening Mixtape CD Simon Sez US $0.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS - NUMBER ONE SONG IN HEAVEN - 4 TRACK ENHANCED CD .. SEALED !! NO. 1 US $1.99 [1 bids]
Sparks - 6 Song Sampler from "BALLS" US $24.08 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks, Mariah Carey, Simple Plan, Amy Winehouse - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $19.98 Buy It Now 13h 8m
Blue Mountain Memories by Larry Sparks (CD, Mar-2000, Rebel) US $3.44 [2 bids]
SPARKS-NO.1 IN HEAVEN-JAPAN SHM-CD BONUS TRACK D95 US $21.50 Buy It Now 13h 32m
Balls by Sparks (CD, Aug-2000, Oglio Records) US $6.60 [0 bids]
BECK Song Reader JACK WHITE SPARKS NORAH JONES JEFF TWEEDY and more US $9.99 Buy It Now 14h 27m
Jordin Sparks - SELF TITLED US $1.99 Buy It Now 14h 42m
Melvin Sparks ft Jimmy Scott 70s CROSSOVER SOUL FUNK 45 Ive Got to Have You / Ge US $49.98 Buy It Now 14h 43m
NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS Randy Sparks LP TODAY Fun JACK DAVIS Mad Magazine Cover 64 US $19.00 Buy It Now 14h 45m
TIM SPARKS ONE STRING LEADS TO ANOTHER (PROMOTION) CD US $17.94 Buy It Now 14h 46m
Sparks Larry-The Old Church Yard CD NEW US $11.64 Buy It Now 14h 49m
(ET814) Make Sparks, Your Hearts On Fire - DJ CD US $3.19 Buy It Now 14h 59m
1979 LP Graham Parker Squeezing Out Sparks In Shrink Extremely Nice US $4.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS-MAEL INTUITION: THE BEST OF SPARKS(CD) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Almost Home - Larry Sparks New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $18.54 Buy It Now 15h 7m
SEALED GRAHAM PARKER: Squeezing Out Sparks LP ARISTA RECORDS AB4223 US 1979  US $10.79 Buy It Now 15h 13m
(DQ654) Miracle, Tommy Sparks - DJ CD US $3.19 Buy It Now 15h 24m
(610Q) Mr Dan & Sparks, Body Slam - DJ CD US $4.80 Buy It Now 15h 29m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $1.49 [0 bids]
(CM323) Low Sparks, You Left Me - CD US $4.80 Buy It Now 15h 53m
The Dirtbombs Play Sparks 7" Vinyl Record non lp songs! detroit garage rock! NEW US $6.99 Buy It Now 16h 41m
TREVOR SPARKS * HOLD ON ** SHELLY- 12" US $12.99 Buy It Now 16h 53m
Sparks~Original UK 45 Never turn your back EX 1974 Pop Rock Non album B-side US $8.76 Buy It Now 17h 5m
Sparks~Original OZ LP Music that you can dance to NM 1986 New wave dance rock US $8.76 Buy It Now 17h 6m
Mystic Chords of Memory S/T NEW Beachwood Sparks ships Fast not a promo US $3.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS INDISCREET LP RON N RUSSELL MAEL US $16.00 Buy It Now 17h 38m
Sparks - Rosebud - '87 U.K. 12' - NEAR MINT! US $14.99 Buy It Now 17h 47m
BEACHWOOD SPARKS NEW CD US $16.38 Buy It Now 17h 51m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS (RON RUSSELL MAEL) OGLIO SAMPLER RARE 10 TRACK PROMO CD 1998 IN SHRINK US $9.75 Buy It Now 18h 7m
TREVOR SPARKS & DADDY PECKA Lovers Rock ORIGINAL WITTY 12" LISTEN US $9.95 Buy It Now 18h 12m
Jordin Sparks with Exclusive Bonus Track .. Jordin Sparks .. Zomba Recording LLC US $7.99 Buy It Now 18h 26m
SPARKS_When I Kiss You I HEar Charlie_used CD single CD-S_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $8.80 Buy It Now 18h 33m
SPARKS Gratuituous Sax & Senseless Violins CD US $13.16 Buy It Now 18h 37m
MINT! promo JORDIN SPARKS cd S.O.S. (LET THE MUSIC PLAY) 1 song cd US $3.75 Buy It Now 19h 18m
Sparks - Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat - Atlantic 12" Vinyl LP - 1984 - NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
Sparks - Indiscreet - Island 12" Vinyl LP - Gatefold - 1975 - NM- US $9.99 [0 bids]
Sparks - This Town Ain't Big Enough.../Barbecutie - 1974 White Label Promo 7" US $20.00 Buy It Now 19h 42m
Courtney Melody, Carl St. Clair, Trevor Sparks, Administrators 1988 "Reggae Hits US $5.55 [0 bids]
New SPARKS TRUE GATE Miyuki Hashimoto Saki Zenkoku-hen The Nationals CD Japan US $35.00 Buy It Now 20h 50m
Al Sparks [8-Track] I Heard It At The Barber Shop *Girlie Cover* (Comedy) *1972* US $10.99 Buy It Now 20h 51m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Terminal Jive ratings distribution

SPARKS Terminal Jive reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars You might have noticed that skipped by a few albums between Indiscreet and Terminal Jive, but you'll just have to take my word for it when I say that those albums are far from a the essential Sparks classics that I've covered so far. Now let's move to the band's Electronica period!

No. 1 In Heaven was the point when the band moved away from rock music and into the domain of Disco/Synth-Pop/Electronica. The band recruited the talents of the synthesizers wizard Giorgio Moroder (or maybe it was the other way around?) to help them with the transition. Unfortunately I don't think that the result of this collaboration truly bloomed until the follow up release Terminal Jive, which is why I decided to skip that release in favor of the only really major album that Sparks recorded in the '80s.

The album gets into a groovy mood with When I'm With You, which is a perfect intro to such a bouncy record! I actually like that this album is slightly less synthesizer oriented than No. 1 In Heaven since it gives space for interesting experiments with electric guitar sounds mixed within layers of all the Electronica. Speaking of instrumental arrangements, some might consider the addition of an instrumental version of When I'm With You a cheap way to prolong the album but I honestly consider it to be a brilliant move, especially since this instrumental version mixes in new layers of sounds which almost completely change my perception of the original piece!

Overall, I'd still have to rate this album just below the excellent mark since it's a fun and light little record that I can listen to just to chill out but it's really not a good example of why I love Sparks. We'll need to skip almost 15 years into the future for a proper glimpse of that phenomenon!

***** star songs: When I'm With You (Instrumental) (3:45)

**** star songs: When I'm With You (5:49) Just Because You Love Me (4:38) Rock 'N Roll People In A Disco World (4:48) Young Girls (4:51) Stereo (4:02) The Greatest Show On Earth (4:19)

*** star songs: Noisy Boys (3:55)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#448436) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 16, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars A decent sequel to No. 1 in Heaven this is not. Inspired by the success of their collaboration with Giorgio Moroder, the brothers headed into the studio expecting a similar dynamic. Instead, Moroder, a busy man in his own right, offloaded much of the production and general direction responsibilities to Harold Faltermeyer, who would become best known in later years for the "Axel F" theme (from Beverly Hills Cop) and the "Top Gun Anthem" (from Top Gun). I can't say for sure, because I wasn't there, but it really sounds like Harold didn't have much interest in accommodating the eccentricities of the band's general approach to music, because aside from the lyrics, this album gives the sense of all of the band's personality getting squeezed out in the name of making the allbum accessible. Naturally, the album sold horribly, and the band's relationship with the Moroder clan of producers came to an end.

The album does open and end on fairly high notes. "When I'm With You" (a minor hit in France, because why not) takes a very Mael approach to expressing that he becomes a better person when he's with the person he's writing about (sample lyric: "I never feel like garbage when I'm with you/I almost feel normal when I'm with you"), and it has lots of little interesting bits, like the repeated "with you"'s at the end of each verse or the various synth lines that come in and out over the simple beat. There's nothing resembling the power of the typical material from Heaven, but it's still rather nice. The closing "The Greatest Show on Earth" is also pretty interesting; I get the feeling that the most striking part (the nagging "Steady as she goes/She's the greatest show") came from Moroder or Faltermeyer and not the Maels, but the other sung parts feel like they probably came Sparks themselves, and they stand out well from the instrumentation (which isn't terrible but definitely sounds like a compromise between the two main parties).

But the rest? There are some interesting lyrics here and there ("Rock and Roll People in a Disco World" is an amusing stab against rock dinosaurs grabbing onto the world of disco in an attempt to stay relevant, and the lyrics to "Young Girls" and "Noisy Boys" are horrifying enough in tandem to be noteworthy), but much of this album consists of music that I'd never consider listening to in another context. "Just Because You Love Me" doesn't even have interesting lyrics to go with its pedestrian everything, and while "Rock and Roll People ..." has strong lyrics, I just feel gross listening to it. "Young Girls" sounds in spots like a Kimono-era track trying to break out of a disco cocoon, but that's not enough to offset the other major aspects of the song (at least "I Like Girls" was a rollicking good time). "Noisy Boys" does have a rousing happy chorus after the pseudo-tense verses, and I do find myself attracted to a couple of the keyboard parts in the verses, but it stands out as much because of all that came before it as because of its own merits. As for "Stereo," it has its one-word chorus and a bunch of fairly pointless guitar chords (I forgot to mention that there's plenty of relatively simplistic guitar on this album, but nobody is credited for it; I'm assuming it's from Faltermeyer until otherwise informed), and nothing else.

There's also an instrumental version of "When I'm With You" that closes out side one, but it's pretty pointless given that the vocals were the best part. Overall, then, this is a massive disappointment. I knew that Ron Mael had said that he considered this one of the band's weakest albums, but when I bought this I hoped that the step down from Heaven would be a relatively mild one. There are some good tracks (I'd say that "When I'm With You," "Noisy Boys" and "The Greatest Show On Earth" are definite keepers), but a Sparks album should offer so much more than this does. Unless you're a fanatic, don't bother.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1140277) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 01, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Terminal Jive"