IN OUTER SPACE

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1983

1. Cool Places (3:23)
2. Popularity (3:53)
3. Prayin´ For a Party (3:02)
4. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (4:10)
5. Please, Baby, Please (3:42)
6. Rockin´ Girls (4:50)
7. I Wish I Looked a Little better (2:58)
8. Lucky Me, Lucky You (3:24)
9. A Fun Bunch Of Guys from Outer Space (4:02)
10. Dance Godammit (3:29)

Bonus tracks on 2009 Imperial Records (Japan) CD:
11. Miniskirted (3:47)
12. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (Unreleased Alternate Version) (4:06)
13. Sports (3:23)

Bonus tracks on 2013 Repertoire Records (Germany) CD:
11. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (Single Version) (3:33)
12. Sports (3:24)
13. Cool Places (12 Inch Mix) (4:40)
14. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (12 Inch Club Version) (5:07)
15. Dance Godammit (12 Inch Club Version) (4:00)

Search SPARKS In Outer Space lyrics

Search SPARKS In Outer Space tabs

- Russell Mael / vocals
- Ron Mael / synthesizer
- Leslie Bohem / bass, backing vocals
- Bob Haag / guitar, giutar-synthesizer, additional bass
- James Goodwin / additional keyboards
- David Kendrick / drums

LP Atlantic 80055-1 (1983, US)

LP CGD INT 20354 (1983, Italy)
LP Underdog, Oasis 67 981 (1983, France)
LP Atlantic 78 00551 (1983, Canada)
LP Oasis 6.25520 (1983, Germany)
LP Atlantic P-11360 (1983, Japan)
LP Atlantic 78-0055-1 (1983, Germany)

CD KioskCMP 62008 (1996, Germany)
CD Oglio Records OGL 81603-2 (1998, US)
CD Repertoire Records REP 4761-WG (1999, Germany)

CD Imperial Records TECI-26551 (2009, Japan, with 3 bonus tracks)
CD Repertoire Records REP 5312 (2013, Germany, with 5 bonus tracks)

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS In Outer Space Music

Fontana Island 2006
Profile: Ultimate CollectionProfile: Ultimate Collection
Rhino / Wea 1991
Sparks CD Halfnelson Japan with OBI VICP 63731 US $18.99 [0 bids]
The Lovely Feathers - Fantasy Of The Lot - CD (SK2015 2009 Sparks) US $7.48 Buy It Now 1h 23m
SAM CHATMON & SPARKS "NOBODY BUT ME" KILLER R&B LISTEN! US $5.03 [0 bids]
Sparks - When I Kiss You (Special Collector's Edition 4 track CD single) US $8.39 Buy It Now 1h 34m
HEAR IT COUNTRY Boudleaux Bryant and the Sparks Hickory US $10.80 Buy It Now 2h
(CU245) Pati Yang, Wires And Sparks - 2012 DJ CD US $5.03 Buy It Now 2h 5m
SPARKS - I Predict 45 US store Atlantic US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Sparks Sports Cool Places Atlantic89866 R VG PS EX (45-7561) US $6.49 Buy It Now 2h 13m
The Chrysler - Failures And Sparks CD (2005) US $5.49 [0 bids]
TRAFFIC ISRAELI UNIQUE COVER LOW SPARKS 1st ORANGE ISLAND UK Prog Rock US $80.00 Buy It Now 2h 21m
SPARKS - NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON MOTHER EARTH RARE YUGO PRESS 7"PS US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 21m
JIMMIE LUNCEFORD THE LAST SPARKS 1941 1944 HEAR IT US $9.00 Buy It Now 2h 27m
GRAHAM PARKER "NM WAX" Squeezing Out Sparks RJ-7584 LP w2074 US $5.99 [0 bids]
YELLOW RED SPARKS Four Steps In Corsets 4tk US PROMO cd w/Live Track US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 51m
(CG441) Christopher Rees, Sparks Flying - 2011 DJ CD US $5.03 Buy It Now 2h 53m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - BEAT THE CLOCK - SPARKS - VS270 US $11.76 Buy It Now 2h 57m
SPARKS Modesty Plays long/short French Picture sleeve US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 15m
THE SPARKS A LOVE THAT'S TRUE LOVE PRESSURE RARE US $19.99 [0 bids]
(DE352) Sea Fruit, Looking for Sparks - 1999 DJ CD US $5.03 Buy It Now 3h 34m
SPARKS calm before the storm 2000 rare uk 3 - track CDS US $8.39 Buy It Now 3h 42m
SPARKS: Beat The Clock/ Tryouts For tHe Human Race Rare CANADIAN 45 1979 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 53m
Minton Sparks - This Dress (NEW CD) US $19.75 Buy It Now 4h 6m
GRAHAM PARKER AND THE RUMOUR "NM WAX" Squeezing out Sparks AL5 8075 LP s7946 US $5.99 [0 bids]
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Apr-2010, Columbia (USA)) US $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 28m
Sparks ~ Over The Summer ~ US 45 Test Pressing/Promo? HEAR US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS get in the swing - profile 7" VINYL 45rpm GERMANY IMPORT near mint 1975 US $6.99 [0 bids]
*PROMO* Sparks - Over the Summer (mono-stereo), Columbia 3-10579 single 45 rpm US $3.75 [0 bids]
LARRY SPARKS AND LONESOME RAMBLERS The LAX-6004 LP u3489 US $5.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS*PROPAGANDA (REMASTERED WITH BONUS MATERIAL)*CD US $9.50 Buy It Now 4h 47m
GLEAMING SPIRES Walk on Well Lighted Streets PVC LP Advance Copy SPARKS New Wave US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Sparks Indiscreet Vinyl LP Orig Pressing David Bowie Queen T Rex Georgio Moroder US $4.99 [0 bids]
GRAHAM PARKER RECORD ALBUMS 12 LP LOT WIND HEAT STICK SPARKS UP GREY REAL STEADY US $129.99 Buy It Now 4h 57m
SPARKS: KIMONO MY HOUSE 2006 REMASTERED CD INC 3 BONUS TRACKS / NEW US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 12m
Sparks I Predict Club Mix 12 Inch Vinyl US $4.75 Buy It Now 5h 13m
SPARKS: Run Run Run (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 5h 21m
SPARKS: Run Run Run / Danny Boy (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 5h 21m
Jimmie Lunceford "Last Sparks 1941-1944" Unopened Record Album MCA -1321 US $6.00 [0 bids]
Loud Earth, Sparks Audio CD US $9.29 Buy It Now 5h 50m
-Singin Sam & His Sparks- MESSIN-House of Lords DEE DEE 45 Record VG++  US $1.75 [0 bids]
Sparks When I'm With You (PS) 7" Single US $8.39 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) US $3.99 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $3.99 [0 bids]
Farmer Dave Scher Flash Forward To The Good Times LP New Mint Beachwood Sparks US $18.99 Buy It Now 6h 16m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $6.99 [0 bids]
Sparks The Rescue - Eyes To The Sun (Used) US $5.99 Buy It Now 6h 42m
HOUSTON PERSON - Heavy Juice ~ MUSE 5260 {nm} w/Melvin Sparks, Jon Logan RARE US $24.99 Buy It Now 7h 11m
Miranda Cosgrove - Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Apr-2010, Columbia (USA) US $3.99 [0 bids]
A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing by Sparks (CD, Jan-2006, Wounded Bird) US $7.99 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) Brand New Sealed CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 8h 45m
"Now That I Own The BBC" by Sparks - 4 Track Import CD - Brand New US $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 7m
2fer! SPARKS Propaganda + Pulling Rabbits MINT CD RARE IMPORT 2 LPS ON 1 CD US $11.19 Buy It Now 9h 8m
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks Japan Edition CD B3 US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 15m
Sparks, Clinton - Touch the Sky - CD [NSS] US $3.05 Buy It Now 10h 30m
Worst Thing I've Been Cursed With, Sparks the Rescue, New US $9.14 Buy It Now 11h 46m
Sparks - Exotic Creatures Of The Deep-Ltd CD US $31.12 Buy It Now 13h 34m
Through The Sparks - Lazarus Beach CD US $14.98 Buy It Now 13h 35m
RICK CUA Midnight Sun 1989 CD RARE OUTLAWS REBECCA SPARKS US $16.95 Buy It Now 13h 41m
SPARKS propaganda LP 11 track pink rim label design with inner in title stickere US $18.56 Buy It Now 14h 35m
Sparks - Exotic Creatures Of The Deep [CD New] US $12.63 Buy It Now 14h 36m
Sparks,Larry - Old Church Yard [CD New] US $9.75 Buy It Now 14h 42m
SPARKS GO GO - VARIETY - Japan CD - NEW J-POP US $18.99 Buy It Now 14h 51m
CHARLIE EARLAND - Pleasant Afternoon LP Jazz Dance on Muse Melvin Sparks ORIG... US $4.67 [0 bids]
Taylor swift - Sparks fly CD single official!! US $75.00 [0 bids]
NICK (IMPORT) URATA - RUBY SPARKS (IMPORT) NEW CD US $30.48 Buy It Now 15h 45m
Battlefield Jordin Sparks CD US $13.49 Buy It Now 16h 7m
SPARKS 'TWO HANDS ONE MOUTH : LIVE IN EUROPE' 2 CD SET (2013) US $20.10 Buy It Now 16h 23m
MAKE UP YOUR MIND - Trevor Sparks & Bobo General (DB1616) US $5.03 Buy It Now 16h 31m
Agent Sparks 2005 Not So Merry [EP] [Digipak] Immortal [used CD/DVD] US $0.01 [0 bids]
DO YOU KNOW NOW - Trevor Sparks (DB1588) US $5.03 Buy It Now 17h 9m
Sparks Are Gonna Fly US $7.45 Buy It Now 17h 10m
SPARKS Whomp That Sucker JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD NEW 13 TRACKS OOP RARE TECI-26549 US $55.99 Buy It Now 17h 34m
Catherine Wheel - Sparks Are Gonna Fly 2 mixes - US CD US $12.99 Buy It Now 18h
Johnny Rivers, Ricky Nelson, Randy Sparks, unopened 8 track cartridge US $8.00 [0 bids]
LEON THOMAS BLUES BAND NM. BERNARD PURDIE, MELVIN SPARKS, HOUSTON PERSON. US $3.99 Buy It Now 18h 36m
Sparks - The Number One Song In Heaven 7" US $8.39 Buy It Now 19h 48m
TIM SPARKS Table CD on TZADIK w/ MARC RIBOT ERIK FRIEDLANDER CYRO BAPTISTA US $5.50 [0 bids]
Sparks - Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth 7" US $8.39 Buy It Now 20h 3m
BARRY SPARKS Glimmer Of Hope CD Solo Album HTF 1999 AOR US $14.99 Buy It Now 20h 23m
MELVIN SPARKS 3 CD LOT - IT IS WHAT IT IS - GROOVE ON UP - THIS IS IT! US $20.60 [0 bids]
JORDIN SPARKS Jordin Sparks CD SONY MUSIC RUSSIA OBI NEW US $13.99 Buy It Now 21h
EARLY Johnny Rivers Ricky Nelson Randy Sparks Material on MGM 4256 US $13.49 Buy It Now 21h 8m
[TODD RUNDGREN] SPARKS ~ SELF TITLED ~ 1972 US 11-TRACK LP ~ BEARSVILLE BV 2048 US $58.88 Buy It Now 21h 14m
Slip Album: Sparks : Whomp That Sucker US $11.09 [0 bids]
Coldplay PROMO CD Sparks US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS - WHEN I KISS YOU ( I HEAR CHARLIE PARKER PLAYING ) CD SINGLE US $6.70 Buy It Now 21h 49m
Sparks - Introducing Sparks NEW CD US $15.81 Buy It Now 22h 9m
MUSIC THAT YOU CAN DANCE TO~SPARKS~SYNTH POP~SAINT CLASSIC~12" US $0.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS**MAEL INTUITION: BEST OF SPARKS 1974-76**CD US $10.95 Buy It Now 23h 36m
SPARKS 12" Progress - Club Mix / In The Dark - Club Mix +1 USA PROMO US $8.39 Buy It Now 23h 50m
SPARKS 12" When I Kiss You (I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) PROMO 4 TRK. MINT US $6.71 Buy It Now 23h 50m
SPARKS 12" Music You Can Dance To HOT TRACKS USA DJ ONLY REMIX (7:04) US $33.63 Buy It Now 23h 50m
SPARKS 12" NOEL Dancing Is Dangerous (9:04) UNPLAYED Promo USA Dancing (9:42) US $20.17 Buy It Now 23h 50m
SPARKS GEMMA RAY 7" Gemma Ray Sings Sparks With Sparks + PROMO SHEET 500 Made! US $10.01 Buy It Now 23h 50m
JIMMY LUNCEFORD: The Last Sparks 1941-44 (jazz LP) US $18.00 Buy It Now 23h 52m
LIO Suite Sixtine RARE LP Sparks 1983 CANADA Telex Synth NM ron US $220.00 Buy It Now 23h 56m
LEON THOMAS BLUES BAND LP / Melvin Sparks Pretty Purdie Houston Person 1988 US $4.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Al Sparks [8-Track] I Heard It At The Barber Shop *Girlie Cover* (Comedy) *1972* US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SPARKS 12" When Do I Get To Sing My Way UK DJ PROMO Unplayed US $10.08 Buy It Now 1 day
SPARKS 12" All You Ever Think About Is Sex / Dance USA PROMO 'New LIVE MIXES SKR US $16.81 Buy It Now 1 day
SPARKS 12" Just Got back From Heaven 5 MIXES USA inc DUB ANGELS Mix, 6:47 in PS US $16.81 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS In Outer Space ratings distribution

SPARKS In Outer Space reviews

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I can't help but think that getting pegged as a novelty act in the previous couple of albums was something that bothered Ron and Russell, because this album (self-produced after the band parted ways with Reinhold Mack) veers strongly away from that approach. The band is still aspiring to sound witty, but this wit is manifested in a much drier and more subtle way than in the last couple of albums, where it often seemed like the band was trying to scream out "LOOK AT US WE'RE SO CLEVER!!!" The band has shifted its style firmly into contemporary synth pop (reducing the role of the guitar to much less than it had been on the previous couple of albums), and while this decision certainly had the potential to go badly (and it soon would), this album makes it seem like this kind of approach was perfect for the band at this point. Honestly, this shouldn't be shocking; just like with Heaven, this approach strips the band down to its essence (keyboards, snide lyrics and great vocal melodies), and while none of these aspects are firing on all cylinders quite like they were on Heaven, the result sounds, if nothing else, very competent.

Of course, making such a hard turn away from the novelty route had its drawbacks, as well. The band's best 70s work showed the band working within an area of ambiguity regarding the question of whether they were a novelty band or not; the ability to sing such ridiculous lyrics and flash such ridiculous ideas while delivering them in such a dry way that you didn't necessarily realize on first pass just how ridiculous they were was one of their most important talents. Whomp and Angst had spoiled the balance by simplifying the music (especially in the rhythm section) while overly accentuating how silly some of the lyrical ideas were. Space, on the other hand, makes the music less gimmicky but also makes it less fun, and this could be considered to spoil the balance just as much as those albums did. At least on Heaven, despite all of the disco-pop trimmings, it often seemed like Ron was trolling the intended audience with the lyrics, whereas the lyrics on this album are at best moderately clever but never intricate or subversive in the way they'd been on much of that album (or in previous albums). The point of all of this is that, while the band's stylistic tradeoff was a net positive in the short term, it didn't really fix the fundamental problems of the band at this point, and it's not shocking that things started to go so wrong on the next album.

Still, the future is the future, and the present is the present, and the present is pretty good. The big hit of the album was the opening "Cool Places," an up-tempo duet with Jane Wiedlin of The Go-Go's, and while I felt a little uncomfortable at first about how normal it sounded, I soon got over it. The vocal melody and instrumental parts (pretty much consisting only of keyboards and drums) are very crisp, for lack of a better term, and the lyrics are a great example of the band's new desire to write clever lyrics without beating the listener over the head with how clever they are. Sample lyric: "I wanna go where nobody's a fool/And no one says, "Uh, hey girl, need a light?" The following "Popularity" didn't have the benefit of having a guest appearance from a relatively famous person, but it's built around the same general approach and isn't much worse. The lyrics look really stupid on the surface, but it seems like their intent is to expose the vapidity of seeking for popularity for its own sake, much the same way that "Cool Places" goes after seeking coolness for its own sake. "What a night, we all drive into town/Where we'll park our cars, and meet the rest of our friends/At a place that's called, I forget what it's called/But it's really great, and all our friends will be there."

Amongst the remaining eight tracks, a couple are relatively gentle and earnest, while the others tend to have energy and/or snark fueling them to some degree. The lyrics to "Please, Baby, Please" are banal beyond saving, but there's a beauty in the interaction of the vocal melody with the nagging synth chords that makes the song worth it. "Lucky Me, Lucky You" (another duet with Jane Wiedlin) passed me by the first few times I listened to the album, but I've come around to it, largely because of the interesting topic (about two people finding love because they crashed on an island together, and mulling over what will happen if they're rescued), but also because it's novel to hear something so oddly touching on a Sparks album.

Among the remaining tracks, the only one to be fueled primarily by energy is "Praying for a Party," which I end up liking for a lot of the same reasons that I like "I Predict" from Angst. It has a monotonous pounding beat, yes, but I like the alternation between the layered Russells, the solo Russell and the humming Russell, so it can stick around on my iPod. The track that is fueled primarily by snark is the closing "Dance Godammit," a slow robotic number in which Russell, in a completely emotionless way, tells his feet and body to dance. If ever a song could make dancing sound like a joyless exercise akin to feeding yourself cauliflower, this is the one. "I get scared when I'm alone/So I don't stay alone/I like clubs/I like girls/I like music/And that's it/Dance Godammit/Dance Godammit."

The other four are all, to varying degrees, fueled by both energy and snark. "All You Ever Think About is Sex" treats sex in the same way "Dance Godammit" treats dance, as a joyless compulsion that's endlessly consumed but never to the point of fulfilment. It's not the most inventive music ever written, but the steady music (aside from a slower introduction) works perfectly with the lyrics. "Rockin' Girls" is synth-based (with quiet guitar once the song picks up steam) faux-rockabilly with moderately clever lyrics: the oft-quoted "And you're the only girl I've ever met who hates 'Hey Jude'/Maybe that's the reason I'm so in love you" is a gem, but the rest is decent as well. "I Wish I Looked A Little Better" is driven forward by the album's best synth part, and the lyrics, about looking irredeemably terrible, are a hoot. And finally, "A Fun Bunch of Guys From Outer Space" (which says the band is "here to infiltrate and get a tan") is a little more silly lyrically than is the norm for this album, but it ends up fitting for largely that reason, and it helps explain why the album cover features Ron covered in a cream pie.

No, this isn't a great album, and truth be told it isn't even that much better than Whomp or Angst. It is, however, the closest thing to a "last gasp" before the band's sound completely fell apart (it would come back together, but much later), and it deserves respect as such. If you feel the overwhelming need to dive into 80s Sparks, this is the place to start.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1153638) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "In Outer Space"