IN OUTER SPACE

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1983

1. Cool Places (3:23)
2. Popularity (3:53)
3. Prayin´ For a Party (3:02)
4. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (4:10)
5. Please, Baby, Please (3:42)
6. Rockin´ Girls (4:50)
7. I Wish I Looked a Little better (2:58)
8. Lucky Me, Lucky You (3:24)
9. A Fun Bunch Of Guys from Outer Space (4:02)
10. Dance Godammit (3:29)

Bonus tracks on 2009 Imperial Records (Japan) CD:
11. Miniskirted (3:47)
12. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (Unreleased Alternate Version) (4:06)
13. Sports (3:23)

Bonus tracks on 2013 Repertoire Records (Germany) CD:
11. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (Single Version) (3:33)
12. Sports (3:24)
13. Cool Places (12 Inch Mix) (4:40)
14. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (12 Inch Club Version) (5:07)
15. Dance Godammit (12 Inch Club Version) (4:00)

Search SPARKS In Outer Space lyrics

Search SPARKS In Outer Space tabs

- Russell Mael / vocals
- Ron Mael / synthesizer
- Leslie Bohem / bass, backing vocals
- Bob Haag / guitar, giutar-synthesizer, additional bass
- James Goodwin / additional keyboards
- David Kendrick / drums

LP Atlantic 80055-1 (1983, US)

LP CGD INT 20354 (1983, Italy)
LP Underdog, Oasis 67 981 (1983, France)
LP Atlantic 78 00551 (1983, Canada)
LP Oasis 6.25520 (1983, Germany)
LP Atlantic P-11360 (1983, Japan)
LP Atlantic 78-0055-1 (1983, Germany)

CD KioskCMP 62008 (1996, Germany)
CD Oglio Records OGL 81603-2 (1998, US)
CD Repertoire Records REP 4761-WG (1999, Germany)

CD Imperial Records TECI-26551 (2009, Japan, with 3 bonus tracks)
CD Repertoire Records REP 5312 (2013, Germany, with 5 bonus tracks)

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS In Outer Space Music

Fontana Island 2006
SPARKS - KIMONO MY HOUSE [BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $9.86 Buy It Now 40m 33s
LOU & MAXINE - LITTLE DONKEY / LOU SPARKS - HOPE AND JOY US $3.99 [0 bids]
41m 39s
Barrington Levy & Frankie Paul - Back To Back CD NEW - Cutty Ranks Trevor Sparks US $0.99 [1 bids]
42m 41s
Sparks of Rhythm Meet Vocaltones - 33 RPM 12" LP - Apollo 1001 - R US $11.00 [0 bids]
58m 56s
Sparks 7 All You Ever Think About is Sex / same US $5.49 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Sparks m- promo 7 Wonder Girl / Mr Nice Guy US $9.75 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Sparks EP - Near Perfect US $11.35 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Minton Sparks/Sin Sick/2005 CD Album US $13.63 Buy It Now 1h 31m
THROUGH THE SPARKS - LAZARUS BEACH (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $18.58 Buy It Now 1h 36m
NM 12"~SPARKS~Music You Can Dance To~[2:30]~Long~{4:22]~Club Version~[6:@22]~'86 US $3.97 Buy It Now 1h 40m
SPARKS - KIMONO MY HOUSE TURKISH PRESSING MEGA RARE US $160.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
SIXTEEN DELUXE emits showers of sparks LP Record SEALED 1998 US $24.98 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Big Change by Slave to the Squarewave (CD, Oct-2007, Sparks Music) SEALED US $4.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS " KIMONO MY HOUSE "SUPER UK PINK RIM ISLAND LP WITH LYRIC INNER US $6.81 [0 bids]
Orbiter - Sparks On A String USA Shipping Included US $3.97 Buy It Now 2h 46m
CORNERSTONE MIXTAPE - 46 - CLINTON SPARKS, EVIL DEE UNPLAYED MINT 3-CD US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 55m
The Lovely Feathers - Fantasy Of The Lot - CD (SK2015 2009 Sparks) US $9.36 Buy It Now 3h 3m
Halfnelson - S/T JAPAN 1st press CD Sparks Todd Rundgren VDP-28044 US $15.00 [0 bids]
Sparks / Modesty Plays 45 Single 12" French Release US $5.00 [0 bids]
HEAR IT COUNTRY Boudleaux Bryant and the Sparks Hickory US $10.80 Buy It Now 3h 42m
(CU245) Pati Yang, Wires And Sparks - 2012 DJ CD US $5.10 Buy It Now 3h 45m
SPARKS - I Predict 45 US store Atlantic US $10.00 Buy It Now 3h 48m
Sparks Sports Cool Places Atlantic89866 R VG PS EX (45-7561) US $3.57 Buy It Now 3h 54m
TRAFFIC ISRAELI UNIQUE COVER LOW SPARKS 1st ORANGE ISLAND UK Prog Rock US $80.00 Buy It Now 4h
Modern Soul / Funk - Elektrikk Sparks Feat The Baby Sylons - Three Sixty Slam US $14.75 [0 bids]
JIMMIE LUNCEFORD THE LAST SPARKS 1941 1944 HEAR IT US $9.00 Buy It Now 4h 7m
SPARKS PULLING RABBITS OUT OF A HATL TEST PRESSING LP RECORD US $99.99 Buy It Now 4h 26m
YELLOW RED SPARKS Four Steps In Corsets 4tk US PROMO cd w/Live Track US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 32m
(CG441) Christopher Rees, Sparks Flying - 2011 DJ CD US $5.10 Buy It Now 4h 33m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - BEAT THE CLOCK - SPARKS - VS270 US $11.93 Buy It Now 4h 37m
SPARKS Modesty Plays long/short French Picture sleeve US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 56m
(DE352) Sea Fruit, Looking for Sparks - 1999 DJ CD US $5.10 Buy It Now 5h 14m
Jordin Sparks, Sparks, Jordin, Good Import US $2.37 Buy It Now 5h 29m
Clinton Sparks presents D-BLOCK TAKE EVERYTHING/LIL' KIM/FREEWAY 12" OG PROMO US $3.99 [0 bids]
THE NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS - RAMBLIN, DIRECTION OF RANDY SPARKS; VERY GOOD+ US $0.99 [0 bids]
GLEAMING SPIRES Walk on Well Lighted Streets PVC LP Advance Copy SPARKS New Wave US $15.00 Buy It Now 6h 32m
SPARKS - NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON MOTHER EARTH , PORTUGAL 7'' GLAM PSYCH US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 38m
Sparks I Predict Club Mix 12 Inch Vinyl US $4.75 Buy It Now 6h 53m
LIVEWIREZ TAKIN' IT TO THE STREETS MARLIN MYERS, SPARKS , WRECKA SEALED 12'' US $2.00 [0 bids]
SPARKS: Run Run Run (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 7h
SPARKS: Run Run Run / Danny Boy (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 7h
Sparks-Pulling Rabbits Out Of A HAT-orig. press PRISTINE LP NEAR MINT!!w/sleeve! US $6.99 Buy It Now 7h 3m
TORI SPARKS - SCORPION IN THE SKY NEW CD US $18.58 Buy It Now 7h 55m
Farmer Dave Scher Flash Forward To The Good Times LP New Mint Beachwood Sparks US $18.99 Buy It Now 7h 56m
Squeezing Out Sparks [Squeezing out Sparks + Live Sparks] by Graham Parker... US $1.99 [0 bids]
Sparks and Jane Wiedlin 45 rpm Cool Places & Sports Picture Sleeve Atlantic 1983 US $7.99 [0 bids]
TORI SPARKS - UNTIL MORNING / COME OUT OF THE DARK NEW CD US $22.42 Buy It Now 8h 5m
Graham Parker & the Rumour Squeezing Out Sparks rare LP great condition US $10.99 [0 bids]
MELVIN SPARKS - THIS IS IT NEW CD US $22.81 Buy It Now 8h 18m
LARRY SPARKS - ALMOST HOME NEW CD US $20.11 Buy It Now 8h 23m
SPARKS: KIMONO MY HOUSE 2006 REMASTERED CD INC 3 BONUS TRACKS / NEW US $8.11 Buy It Now 8h 26m
SPARKS Kimono My House VERY Rare 1974 1st issue Island 8-TR STILL SEALED! US $34.95 [0 bids]
SPARKS - HELLO YOUNG LOVERS NEW CD US $22.04 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Jan-2000, Columbia (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
MIRANDA COSGROVE - SPARKS FLY (IMPORT) NEW CD US $15.91 Buy It Now 8h 36m
JORDIN SPARKS - BATTLEFIELD NEW CD US $11.29 Buy It Now 8h 37m
MELVIN SPARKS - GROOVE ON UP NEW CD US $22.81 Buy It Now 8h 48m
This Dress ~ Minton Sparks CD US $7.95 [0 bids]
SPARKS - TERMINAL JIVE - BONUS TRACKS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $22.04 Buy It Now 9h 7m
Rare Vocal Group Autographed 45 Four Sparks ~ Key To My Heart ~ Cleff Tone 1001 US $19.99 [0 bids]
Melvin Sparks - Sparkling - LP ('82 MR 5248) US $30.00 [0 bids]
SAD AMONG STRANGERS "Sparks Fly Upwards" UK 7" 45 Vinyl Single 1980 US $5.00 Buy It Now 10h 19m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) Brand New Sealed CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 10h 25m
JAZZ COMP: .AIN'T IT FUNKY NOW 2LP, Feat. Melvin Sparks, Gene Ammons, Charles Ky US $32.25 Buy It Now 10h 47m
Now That I Own The BBC by Sparks-1994,Dance/House Import CD - Brand New US $12.99 Buy It Now 10h 49m
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks Japan Edition CD B3 US $8.99 Buy It Now 10h 55m
MELVIN SPARKS LP, Sparkling (MUSE US Issue NM/NM) US $27.13 Buy It Now 10h 56m
Loud Earth, Sparks Audio CD US $7.58 Buy It Now 10h 58m
JAZZ COMP: MOJO CLUB VOL 13 2LP, Feat. Melvin Sparks, Joe Bataan, Don Ellis, Tob US $39.08 Buy It Now 11h 39m
Sparks, Clinton - Touch the Sky - CD [NSS] US $3.09 Buy It Now 12h 11m
Jordin Sparks / self titled Jordin Sparks (LIKE NEW 14 track CD) Steve Lipson !! US $2.99 Buy It Now 13h 28m
SPARKS Kimono My House ISRAEL VINYL Island Sky Label LP US $22.99 Buy It Now 14h 36m
Sparks - Two Hands One Mouth Live In Europe (NEW 2CD) US $21.74 Buy It Now 14h 55m
Sparks Indiscreet 1993 first press Japan Sample CD SEALED! US $25.99 Buy It Now 15h 14m
Through The Sparks - Lazarus Beach CD US $15.40 Buy It Now 15h 15m
Worst Thing I've Been Cursed With, Sparks the Rescue, New US $9.09 Buy It Now 15h 24m
CD SPARKS/ Mael Bros 1968 Demo Lp - PARDON MY FRENCH US $19.99 Buy It Now 16h 12m
SPARKS propaganda LP 11 track pink rim label design with inner in title stickere US $15.32 Buy It Now 16h 15m
Sparks - Exotic Creatures Of The Deep [CD New] US $13.19 Buy It Now 16h 16m
Sparks - Big Beat CD ALBUM NEW / MINT US $10.22 Buy It Now 16h 17m
Sparks Kimono My House CD ALBUM NEW/MINT US $10.22 Buy It Now 16h 29m
Sparks The Rescue - Eyes To The Sun (2009) - Used - Compact Disc US $0.99 Buy It Now 17h 54m
AGENT SPARKS - RED ROVER (CD) (REF E1) US $6.81 Buy It Now 17h 58m
SPARKS BIG BEAT '76 Columbia Records Demo Promo Russell Mael Rock Glam Big Boy US $10.99 Buy It Now 17h 59m
SPARKS 'TWO HANDS ONE MOUTH : LIVE IN EUROPE' 2 CD SET (2013) US $20.39 Buy It Now 18h 3m
SPARKS GO GO - Shayou - Japan CD J-POP - 10Tracks US $13.99 Buy It Now 18h 4m
NICK (IMPORT) URATA - RUBY SPARKS (IMPORT) NEW CD US $30.50 Buy It Now 18h 5m
MAKE UP YOUR MIND - Trevor Sparks & Bobo General (DB1616) US $5.10 Buy It Now 18h 11m
Maylay Sparks - Graymatter - CD - 12Tracks US $5.99 Buy It Now 18h 23m
In Outer Space [Remaster] by Sparks (CD, Mar-1999, Repertoire) US $14.50 Buy It Now 18h 27m
Terminal Jive [Remaster] by Sparks (CD, Apr-1999, Repertoire) US $14.30 Buy It Now 18h 27m
Music That You Can Dance To by Sparks (CD, Mar-2011, Repertoire) US $14.50 Buy It Now 18h 27m
Akilah by Melvin Sparks (Vinyl, Jan-1993, BGP (Beat Goes Public)) US $17.62 Buy It Now 18h 28m
Sparks!/Akilah by Melvin Sparks (CD, Jan-1993, Ace (Label)) US $16.86 Buy It Now 18h 29m
SOKAL HARRY/GROOVE - WHERE SPARKS START TO FLY - CRACK0046 US $21.50 Buy It Now 18h 29m
Texas Twister/'75 by Melvin Sparks (CD, Jun-2006, BGP (Beat Goes Public)) US $17.01 Buy It Now 18h 30m
Halfnelson (Sparks) / A Woofer In Tweeters Clothing * NEW US $19.72 Buy It Now 18h 31m
DO YOU KNOW NOW - Trevor Sparks (DB1588) US $5.10 Buy It Now 18h 49m
Sparks Are Gonna Fly US $7.45 Buy It Now 18h 50m
Sparks - Beat The Clock US $4.27 Buy It Now 19h 30m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS In Outer Space ratings distribution

SPARKS In Outer Space reviews

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I can't help but think that getting pegged as a novelty act in the previous couple of albums was something that bothered Ron and Russell, because this album (self-produced after the band parted ways with Reinhold Mack) veers strongly away from that approach. The band is still aspiring to sound witty, but this wit is manifested in a much drier and more subtle way than in the last couple of albums, where it often seemed like the band was trying to scream out "LOOK AT US WE'RE SO CLEVER!!!" The band has shifted its style firmly into contemporary synth pop (reducing the role of the guitar to much less than it had been on the previous couple of albums), and while this decision certainly had the potential to go badly (and it soon would), this album makes it seem like this kind of approach was perfect for the band at this point. Honestly, this shouldn't be shocking; just like with Heaven, this approach strips the band down to its essence (keyboards, snide lyrics and great vocal melodies), and while none of these aspects are firing on all cylinders quite like they were on Heaven, the result sounds, if nothing else, very competent.

Of course, making such a hard turn away from the novelty route had its drawbacks, as well. The band's best 70s work showed the band working within an area of ambiguity regarding the question of whether they were a novelty band or not; the ability to sing such ridiculous lyrics and flash such ridiculous ideas while delivering them in such a dry way that you didn't necessarily realize on first pass just how ridiculous they were was one of their most important talents. Whomp and Angst had spoiled the balance by simplifying the music (especially in the rhythm section) while overly accentuating how silly some of the lyrical ideas were. Space, on the other hand, makes the music less gimmicky but also makes it less fun, and this could be considered to spoil the balance just as much as those albums did. At least on Heaven, despite all of the disco-pop trimmings, it often seemed like Ron was trolling the intended audience with the lyrics, whereas the lyrics on this album are at best moderately clever but never intricate or subversive in the way they'd been on much of that album (or in previous albums). The point of all of this is that, while the band's stylistic tradeoff was a net positive in the short term, it didn't really fix the fundamental problems of the band at this point, and it's not shocking that things started to go so wrong on the next album.

Still, the future is the future, and the present is the present, and the present is pretty good. The big hit of the album was the opening "Cool Places," an up-tempo duet with Jane Wiedlin of The Go-Go's, and while I felt a little uncomfortable at first about how normal it sounded, I soon got over it. The vocal melody and instrumental parts (pretty much consisting only of keyboards and drums) are very crisp, for lack of a better term, and the lyrics are a great example of the band's new desire to write clever lyrics without beating the listener over the head with how clever they are. Sample lyric: "I wanna go where nobody's a fool/And no one says, "Uh, hey girl, need a light?" The following "Popularity" didn't have the benefit of having a guest appearance from a relatively famous person, but it's built around the same general approach and isn't much worse. The lyrics look really stupid on the surface, but it seems like their intent is to expose the vapidity of seeking for popularity for its own sake, much the same way that "Cool Places" goes after seeking coolness for its own sake. "What a night, we all drive into town/Where we'll park our cars, and meet the rest of our friends/At a place that's called, I forget what it's called/But it's really great, and all our friends will be there."

Amongst the remaining eight tracks, a couple are relatively gentle and earnest, while the others tend to have energy and/or snark fueling them to some degree. The lyrics to "Please, Baby, Please" are banal beyond saving, but there's a beauty in the interaction of the vocal melody with the nagging synth chords that makes the song worth it. "Lucky Me, Lucky You" (another duet with Jane Wiedlin) passed me by the first few times I listened to the album, but I've come around to it, largely because of the interesting topic (about two people finding love because they crashed on an island together, and mulling over what will happen if they're rescued), but also because it's novel to hear something so oddly touching on a Sparks album.

Among the remaining tracks, the only one to be fueled primarily by energy is "Praying for a Party," which I end up liking for a lot of the same reasons that I like "I Predict" from Angst. It has a monotonous pounding beat, yes, but I like the alternation between the layered Russells, the solo Russell and the humming Russell, so it can stick around on my iPod. The track that is fueled primarily by snark is the closing "Dance Godammit," a slow robotic number in which Russell, in a completely emotionless way, tells his feet and body to dance. If ever a song could make dancing sound like a joyless exercise akin to feeding yourself cauliflower, this is the one. "I get scared when I'm alone/So I don't stay alone/I like clubs/I like girls/I like music/And that's it/Dance Godammit/Dance Godammit."

The other four are all, to varying degrees, fueled by both energy and snark. "All You Ever Think About is Sex" treats sex in the same way "Dance Godammit" treats dance, as a joyless compulsion that's endlessly consumed but never to the point of fulfilment. It's not the most inventive music ever written, but the steady music (aside from a slower introduction) works perfectly with the lyrics. "Rockin' Girls" is synth-based (with quiet guitar once the song picks up steam) faux-rockabilly with moderately clever lyrics: the oft-quoted "And you're the only girl I've ever met who hates 'Hey Jude'/Maybe that's the reason I'm so in love you" is a gem, but the rest is decent as well. "I Wish I Looked A Little Better" is driven forward by the album's best synth part, and the lyrics, about looking irredeemably terrible, are a hoot. And finally, "A Fun Bunch of Guys From Outer Space" (which says the band is "here to infiltrate and get a tan") is a little more silly lyrically than is the norm for this album, but it ends up fitting for largely that reason, and it helps explain why the album cover features Ron covered in a cream pie.

No, this isn't a great album, and truth be told it isn't even that much better than Whomp or Angst. It is, however, the closest thing to a "last gasp" before the band's sound completely fell apart (it would come back together, but much later), and it deserves respect as such. If you feel the overwhelming need to dive into 80s Sparks, this is the place to start.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1153638) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "In Outer Space"