IN OUTER SPACE

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1983

1. Cool Places (3:23)
2. Popularity (3:53)
3. Prayin┤ For a Party (3:02)
4. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (4:10)
5. Please, Baby, Please (3:42)
6. Rockin┤ Girls (4:50)
7. I Wish I Looked a Little better (2:58)
8. Lucky Me, Lucky You (3:24)
9. A Fun Bunch Of Guys from Outer Space (4:02)
10. Dance Godammit (3:29)

Bonus tracks on 2009 Imperial Records (Japan) CD:
11. Miniskirted (3:47)
12. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (Unreleased Alternate Version) (4:06)
13. Sports (3:23)

Bonus tracks on 2013 Repertoire Records (Germany) CD:
11. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (Single Version) (3:33)
12. Sports (3:24)
13. Cool Places (12 Inch Mix) (4:40)
14. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (12 Inch Club Version) (5:07)
15. Dance Godammit (12 Inch Club Version) (4:00)

Search SPARKS In Outer Space lyrics

Search SPARKS In Outer Space tabs

- Russell Mael / vocals
- Ron Mael / synthesizer
- Leslie Bohem / bass, backing vocals
- Bob Haag / guitar, giutar-synthesizer, additional bass
- James Goodwin / additional keyboards
- David Kendrick / drums

LP Atlantic 80055-1 (1983, US)

LP CGD INT 20354 (1983, Italy)
LP Underdog, Oasis 67 981 (1983, France)
LP Atlantic 78 00551 (1983, Canada)
LP Oasis 6.25520 (1983, Germany)
LP Atlantic P-11360 (1983, Japan)
LP Atlantic 78-0055-1 (1983, Germany)

CD KioskCMP 62008 (1996, Germany)
CD Oglio Records OGL 81603-2 (1998, US)
CD Repertoire Records REP 4761-WG (1999, Germany)

CD Imperial Records TECI-26551 (2009, Japan, with 3 bonus tracks)
CD Repertoire Records REP 5312 (2013, Germany, with 5 bonus tracks)

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS In Outer Space Music

IndiscreetIndiscreet
Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Fontana Island 2006
RANDY SPARKS HAZY SUNSHINE RARE LP US MGM US $37.49 Buy It Now 31m 30s
Jimmie Lunceford "Last Sparks 1941-1944" Unopened Record Album MCA -1321 US $6.00 [0 bids]
40m 11s
Green Moon Sparks - Rebel With A Curse CD new Belgium US $13.45 Buy It Now 47m 27s
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks NEW CD US $9.87 Buy It Now 1h 11m
MELVIN SPARKS Melvin Sparks '75 20TH CENTURY/WESTBOUND LP Soul funk US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Sparks Angst in My Pants Japan Promo White Label Vinyl LP with OBI Glam Rock US $69.99 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Sparks In Outer Space Japan Promo White Label Vinyl LP with OBI Glam Rock US $69.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
2001 Gordon Haskell How Wonderful You Are/A Little Help From You (Flying Sparks) US $3.26 [0 bids]
3h
RANDY SPARKS - THE BIG NIGHT ROCKABILLY VG++ 45 US $89.00 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Sparks - Terminal Jive CD US $18.20 Buy It Now 5h 4m
SPARKS CALM BEFORE THE STORM 3TR EU CD SINGLE MINT CONDITION OPERA RON RUSSELL US $8.18 Buy It Now 5h 7m
SPARKS - MARC ALMOND - CONCERT FLYER - EDINBURGH - TWO HANDS - POP TROUBADOUR US $4.90 Buy It Now 5h 51m
THE SPARKS - No 1 in Heaven (Number 1 in Heaven) Ist Issue + Inner sleeve. US $4.90 [0 bids]
Jeremy Kittel - Chasing Sparks [CD New] US $16.98 Buy It Now 6h 14m
Sparks - Indiscreet. 1975 North American Tour Sticker. Unused. US $19.67 [0 bids]
TREVOR SPARKS - MY LOVER'S CALLING ME(12" DJ VINYL RECORD) VG+! US $9.99 [0 bids]
Imogen Heap - Sparks / 2014 / 2 x CD Set NEW & SEALED Digipack US $22.13 Buy It Now 7h 50m
SPARKS IN OUTER SPACE LP PROMO US $8.00 Buy It Now 8h
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks Music CD Album 2008 - DISC ONLY in Plastic Sleeve US $6.51 Buy It Now 8h 6m
NM- THE SPARKS FAMILY BLUEGRASS GOSPEL LP - HEAVEN THE LAND OF THE FREE!! US $10.39 Buy It Now 8h 7m
Beat The Clock by Sparks 7 inch vinyl single US $1.62 [0 bids]
Kendo No. 10 (1996) : Soultans, Sparks, Bryan Ferry, Its Immaterial, La Bouche, US $2.08 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Sparks~Beat The Clock [Pic Sleeve; 7"@45] 1979 US $5.90 [0 bids]
Sparks Street * - Love Huskies (CD 1998) US $4.50 Buy It Now 8h 32m
Chrysler : Failures & Sparks CD (2010) US $2.88 Buy It Now 8h 48m
Killing Fields Of Ontario : The Shock Of The Sparks CD US $8.56 Buy It Now 8h 59m
Earle Mankey Real World Ep Sparks US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 6m
EDITORS ALL SPARKS JAPAN DJ CD A-1628 US $3.99 [0 bids]
IMOGEN HEAP - SPARKS - NEW VINYL LP ALBUM US $26.21 Buy It Now 10h 20m
IMOGEN HEAP - SPARKS - NEW CD ALBUM US $16.37 Buy It Now 10h 23m
Sparks - kimono My House - French CD Album US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 23m
IMOGEN HEAP - SPARKS (DELUXE EDITION) - NEW CD ALBUM US $22.93 Buy It Now 10h 24m
SPARKS - WHEN I KISS YOU - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE US $3.26 Buy It Now 10h 30m
Graham Parkier and The Rumour "Squeezing Out Sparks" LP US $3.47 Buy It Now 10h 39m
beachwood sparks the tarnished gold rare 13 track cd US $4.90 [0 bids]
SPARKS Tryoits for the human race 7" NEW WAVE POP SYNTH US $4.08 Buy It Now 10h 50m
NEW MUSIC FOR 2006-BELLE & AND SEBASTIAN-Sparks/BUZZCOCKS/Mark Lanegan/UNCUT/Cd US $10.29 Buy It Now 10h 58m
CATHERINE WHEEL SPARKS are GONNA FLY UK 2000 PR0MO CD Single US $4.08 Buy It Now 11h
Sparks-Kimono My House-CD Album-Framed CD Clock-Fantastic Gift Idea US $32.76 Buy It Now 11h 10m
Through The Sparks - Lazarus Beach [CD New] US $9.98 Buy It Now 11h 27m
Squeezing Out Sparks by Graham Parker (Arista...1979) G+ LP US $2.00 [0 bids]
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Apr-2010, Columbia (USA)) US $1.00 [1 bids]
Danielle & Rochelle vs DJ Sparks 12" Amass 1992 US $24.57 Buy It Now 12h 8m
1969 HANG YOUR HAT IN THE WIND MOVIE LP Album Record HTF DISNEY Randy Sparks US $2.00 [0 bids]
SPARKS *Propaganda* UK Import VG++ Original Island Label US $11.99 [0 bids]
Sparks - Balls! [CD New] US $20.59 Buy It Now 12h 24m
BEACHWOOD SPARKS Tarnished Gold LP 12 Track Double In Gatefold Sleeve With Origi US $24.58 Buy It Now 12h 53m
CLINTON SPARKS - MAYBE YOU BEEN BRAINWASHED [PA] - NEW CD US $19.42 Buy It Now 12h 55m
SPARKS CD. US $8.93 [2 bids]
Sparks - No.1 In Heaven - Extended (NEW CD) US $18.42 Buy It Now 13h 19m
CD Sparks Fly From A Kiss s/t harmonic rock US $0.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS - KIMONO MY HOUSE [BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $9.75 Buy It Now 13h 39m
MIRANDA COSGROVE - SPARKS FLY NEW CD US $12.65 Buy It Now 13h 45m
EDITORS ALL SPARKS CD RARE Includes NON-LP Track * NEW * SKCD84 UK INDIE US $17.50 Buy It Now 13h 53m
Sparks [Digipak] by Imogen Heap (CD, Aug-2014, RCA) US $12.52 [0 bids]
In Outer Space - Sparks New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $19.20 Buy It Now 14h 19m
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Jan-2000, Columbia (USA)) US $5.63 Buy It Now 14h 22m
SPARKS-"PRETENDING TO BE DRUNK" EXTENDED/ NEW MIX-1984 U.S. ISSUE DJ 12" SINGLE US $7.99 [0 bids]
Sparks EP - Near Perfect US $11.35 Buy It Now 14h 27m
Minton Sparks/Sin Sick/2005 CD Album US $13.09 Buy It Now 14h 29m
EDITORS / ALL SPARKS / 2006 7" P/S US $8.18 Buy It Now 14h 53m
THROUGH THE SPARKS - LAZARUS BEACH (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.81 Buy It Now 14h 57m
SPARKS SPECTACULAR Exotic Creatures of Deep WORLD PREMIERE TICKET LONDON lp cd US $14.75 Buy It Now 15h
The Who Sparks On The Bay Live 1969 CD US $15.00 [0 bids]
Untill Morning/Come Out Of The Dark - Tori Sparks New & Sealed Compact Disc Free US $22.91 Buy It Now 15h 16m
Sparks Fly, Miranda Cosgrove, Acceptable US $3.98 Buy It Now 15h 27m
Sparks 7 All You Ever Think About is Sex / same US $5.49 Buy It Now 15h 31m
Sparks m- promo 7 Wonder Girl / Mr Nice Guy US $9.75 Buy It Now 15h 32m
I'm a Gittar Player by Melvin Sparks (CD, Jun-1997, Cannonball Records) US $6.95 Buy It Now 15h 44m
I'm a Gittar Player by Melvin Sparks (CD, Jun-1997, Cannonball Records) Jazz US $0.99 [0 bids]
Sparks, Melvin Im a Gittar Player CD US $5.73 Buy It Now 15h 49m
CORNERSTONE MIXTAPE - 46 - CLINTON SPARKS, EVIL DEE UNPLAYED MINT 3-CD US $20.00 Buy It Now 15h 54m
RARE FIND, THE NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS, VINTAGE VINYL LP CL 1941 Randy Sparks VG+ US $4.95 [0 bids]
16h
The Lovely Feathers - Fantasy Of The Lot - CD (SK2015 2009 Sparks) US $8.98 Buy It Now 16h 2m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks 2007 Canada Import CD NEW SEALED US $6.99 [0 bids]
Sparks 45 & PS Predict / Moustache (Rock) EX US $6.50 [0 bids]
HEAR IT COUNTRY Boudleaux Bryant and the Sparks Hickory US $10.80 Buy It Now 16h 40m
Trevor Sparks "A little way Different" L.P. and Jacket Mint - US $9.99 [0 bids]
(CU245) Pati Yang, Wires And Sparks - 2012 DJ CD US $4.90 Buy It Now 16h 44m
SPARKS - I Predict 45 US store Atlantic US $7.50 Buy It Now 16h 47m
Sparks Sports Cool Places Atlantic89866 R VG PS EX (45-7561) US $3.57 Buy It Now 16h 52m
TRAFFIC ISRAELI UNIQUE COVER LOW SPARKS 1st ORANGE ISLAND UK Prog Rock US $80.00 Buy It Now 17h
JIMMIE LUNCEFORD THE LAST SPARKS 1941 1944 HEAR IT US $9.00 Buy It Now 17h 6m
CD Jordin Sparks Jordin Sparks US $4.00 Buy It Now 17h 14m
Sparks SHORTCUTS 7 Inch Mixes 1979-84 REPERTOIRE 29 Track NEW SEALED 2 CD US $12.99 [0 bids]
THE NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS EXCITING NEW FOLK CHORUS RANDY SPARKS LP 2 EYE MONO US $9.59 Buy It Now 17h 21m
YELLOW RED SPARKS Four Steps In Corsets 4tk US PROMO cd w/Live Track US $6.99 Buy It Now 17h 30m
(CG441) Christopher Rees, Sparks Flying - 2011 DJ CD US $4.90 Buy It Now 17h 32m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - BEAT THE CLOCK - SPARKS - VS270 US $11.46 Buy It Now 17h 36m
Sparks Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins CD Synthpop 1995 US $3.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS Modesty Plays long/short French Picture sleeve US $9.99 Buy It Now 17h 55m
(DE352) Sea Fruit, Looking for Sparks - 1999 DJ CD US $4.90 Buy It Now 18h 13m
SPARKS: Beat The Clock/ Tryouts For tHe Human Race Rare CANADIAN 45 1979 US $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 32m
JORDIN SPARKS - An Original Sound Recording-Tattoo-Freeze Shy Boy-One Step At A US $2.53 Buy It Now 19h 23m
Various Artists Hidden Sparks CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 19h 25m
GLEAMING SPIRES Walk on Well Lighted Streets PVC LP Advance Copy SPARKS New Wave US $15.00 Buy It Now 19h 31m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS In Outer Space ratings distribution

SPARKS In Outer Space reviews

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I can't help but think that getting pegged as a novelty act in the previous couple of albums was something that bothered Ron and Russell, because this album (self-produced after the band parted ways with Reinhold Mack) veers strongly away from that approach. The band is still aspiring to sound witty, but this wit is manifested in a much drier and more subtle way than in the last couple of albums, where it often seemed like the band was trying to scream out "LOOK AT US WE'RE SO CLEVER!!!" The band has shifted its style firmly into contemporary synth pop (reducing the role of the guitar to much less than it had been on the previous couple of albums), and while this decision certainly had the potential to go badly (and it soon would), this album makes it seem like this kind of approach was perfect for the band at this point. Honestly, this shouldn't be shocking; just like with Heaven, this approach strips the band down to its essence (keyboards, snide lyrics and great vocal melodies), and while none of these aspects are firing on all cylinders quite like they were on Heaven, the result sounds, if nothing else, very competent.

Of course, making such a hard turn away from the novelty route had its drawbacks, as well. The band's best 70s work showed the band working within an area of ambiguity regarding the question of whether they were a novelty band or not; the ability to sing such ridiculous lyrics and flash such ridiculous ideas while delivering them in such a dry way that you didn't necessarily realize on first pass just how ridiculous they were was one of their most important talents. Whomp and Angst had spoiled the balance by simplifying the music (especially in the rhythm section) while overly accentuating how silly some of the lyrical ideas were. Space, on the other hand, makes the music less gimmicky but also makes it less fun, and this could be considered to spoil the balance just as much as those albums did. At least on Heaven, despite all of the disco-pop trimmings, it often seemed like Ron was trolling the intended audience with the lyrics, whereas the lyrics on this album are at best moderately clever but never intricate or subversive in the way they'd been on much of that album (or in previous albums). The point of all of this is that, while the band's stylistic tradeoff was a net positive in the short term, it didn't really fix the fundamental problems of the band at this point, and it's not shocking that things started to go so wrong on the next album.

Still, the future is the future, and the present is the present, and the present is pretty good. The big hit of the album was the opening "Cool Places," an up-tempo duet with Jane Wiedlin of The Go-Go's, and while I felt a little uncomfortable at first about how normal it sounded, I soon got over it. The vocal melody and instrumental parts (pretty much consisting only of keyboards and drums) are very crisp, for lack of a better term, and the lyrics are a great example of the band's new desire to write clever lyrics without beating the listener over the head with how clever they are. Sample lyric: "I wanna go where nobody's a fool/And no one says, "Uh, hey girl, need a light?" The following "Popularity" didn't have the benefit of having a guest appearance from a relatively famous person, but it's built around the same general approach and isn't much worse. The lyrics look really stupid on the surface, but it seems like their intent is to expose the vapidity of seeking for popularity for its own sake, much the same way that "Cool Places" goes after seeking coolness for its own sake. "What a night, we all drive into town/Where we'll park our cars, and meet the rest of our friends/At a place that's called, I forget what it's called/But it's really great, and all our friends will be there."

Amongst the remaining eight tracks, a couple are relatively gentle and earnest, while the others tend to have energy and/or snark fueling them to some degree. The lyrics to "Please, Baby, Please" are banal beyond saving, but there's a beauty in the interaction of the vocal melody with the nagging synth chords that makes the song worth it. "Lucky Me, Lucky You" (another duet with Jane Wiedlin) passed me by the first few times I listened to the album, but I've come around to it, largely because of the interesting topic (about two people finding love because they crashed on an island together, and mulling over what will happen if they're rescued), but also because it's novel to hear something so oddly touching on a Sparks album.

Among the remaining tracks, the only one to be fueled primarily by energy is "Praying for a Party," which I end up liking for a lot of the same reasons that I like "I Predict" from Angst. It has a monotonous pounding beat, yes, but I like the alternation between the layered Russells, the solo Russell and the humming Russell, so it can stick around on my iPod. The track that is fueled primarily by snark is the closing "Dance Godammit," a slow robotic number in which Russell, in a completely emotionless way, tells his feet and body to dance. If ever a song could make dancing sound like a joyless exercise akin to feeding yourself cauliflower, this is the one. "I get scared when I'm alone/So I don't stay alone/I like clubs/I like girls/I like music/And that's it/Dance Godammit/Dance Godammit."

The other four are all, to varying degrees, fueled by both energy and snark. "All You Ever Think About is Sex" treats sex in the same way "Dance Godammit" treats dance, as a joyless compulsion that's endlessly consumed but never to the point of fulfilment. It's not the most inventive music ever written, but the steady music (aside from a slower introduction) works perfectly with the lyrics. "Rockin' Girls" is synth-based (with quiet guitar once the song picks up steam) faux-rockabilly with moderately clever lyrics: the oft-quoted "And you're the only girl I've ever met who hates 'Hey Jude'/Maybe that's the reason I'm so in love you" is a gem, but the rest is decent as well. "I Wish I Looked A Little Better" is driven forward by the album's best synth part, and the lyrics, about looking irredeemably terrible, are a hoot. And finally, "A Fun Bunch of Guys From Outer Space" (which says the band is "here to infiltrate and get a tan") is a little more silly lyrically than is the norm for this album, but it ends up fitting for largely that reason, and it helps explain why the album cover features Ron covered in a cream pie.

No, this isn't a great album, and truth be told it isn't even that much better than Whomp or Angst. It is, however, the closest thing to a "last gasp" before the band's sound completely fell apart (it would come back together, but much later), and it deserves respect as such. If you feel the overwhelming need to dive into 80s Sparks, this is the place to start.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1153638) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "In Outer Space"