IN OUTER SPACE

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1983

1. Cool Places (3:23)
2. Popularity (3:53)
3. Prayin´ For a Party (3:02)
4. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (4:10)
5. Please, Baby, Please (3:42)
6. Rockin´ Girls (4:50)
7. I Wish I Looked a Little better (2:58)
8. Lucky Me, Lucky You (3:24)
9. A Fun Bunch Of Guys from Outer Space (4:02)
10. Dance Godammit (3:29)

Bonus tracks on 2009 Imperial Records (Japan) CD:
11. Miniskirted (3:47)
12. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (Unreleased Alternate Version) (4:06)
13. Sports (3:23)

Bonus tracks on 2013 Repertoire Records (Germany) CD:
11. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (Single Version) (3:33)
12. Sports (3:24)
13. Cool Places (12 Inch Mix) (4:40)
14. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (12 Inch Club Version) (5:07)
15. Dance Godammit (12 Inch Club Version) (4:00)

Search SPARKS In Outer Space lyrics

Search SPARKS In Outer Space tabs

- Russell Mael / vocals
- Ron Mael / synthesizer
- Leslie Bohem / bass, backing vocals
- Bob Haag / guitar, giutar-synthesizer, additional bass
- James Goodwin / additional keyboards
- David Kendrick / drums

LP Atlantic 80055-1 (1983, US)

LP CGD INT 20354 (1983, Italy)
LP Underdog, Oasis 67 981 (1983, France)
LP Atlantic 78 00551 (1983, Canada)
LP Oasis 6.25520 (1983, Germany)
LP Atlantic P-11360 (1983, Japan)
LP Atlantic 78-0055-1 (1983, Germany)

CD KioskCMP 62008 (1996, Germany)
CD Oglio Records OGL 81603-2 (1998, US)
CD Repertoire Records REP 4761-WG (1999, Germany)

CD Imperial Records TECI-26551 (2009, Japan, with 3 bonus tracks)
CD Repertoire Records REP 5312 (2013, Germany, with 5 bonus tracks)

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS In Outer Space Music

Import · Limited Edition
Lil Beethoven UK 2008
Kimono My HouseKimono My House
Fontana Island 2006
VALLEY GIRL-OST-RARE 6 SONG MINI ALBUM-WITHDRAWN LP-SEALED!!-JOSIE COTTON-SPARKS US $79.99 Buy It Now 34m 1s
SPARKS 2 X 12" VINYL PROMO WHEN DO I GET TO SING 'MY WAY' LOGIC LUK 049 EX+ US $20.76 Buy It Now 38m 32s
Jordin Sparks 'Tattoo' Promo CD single US $3.19 [0 bids]
50m
LARRY SPARKS - JOHN DEERE TRACTOR NEW CD US $20.61 Buy It Now 52m 34s
SPARKS "7" SINGLE. US $6.40 Buy It Now 1h 20m
REUBEN WILSON GROOVE GREASE Melvin Sparks Soul Jazz CD US $11.75 Buy It Now 1h 26m
The Tarnished Gold by Beachwood Sparks *New CD* US $11.04 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Squeezing Out Sparks *New CD* US $8.64 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Jordin Sparks / self titled Jordin Sparks (LIKE NEW 14 track CD) Steve Lipson !! US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
CD. THE CATHERINE WHEEL - SPARKS ARE GONNA FLY VERY RARE Gatefold UK PROMO US $1.75 [0 bids]
Little Kirk & Trever Sparks - Youth And Youth LP dancehall ragga US $32.07 Buy It Now 3h 47m
JONI MITCHELL court and & sparks LP EX original embossed cover 1974 crosby nash US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 12m
Mael Intuition / Best Of Sparks 1974-76 US $13.23 Buy It Now 4h 46m
SPARKS - DICK AROUND [US] [EP] [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $11.89 Buy It Now 5h 40m
Danielle & Rochelle DJ Sparks 'THATS THE WAY / LOVE ME' US $3.19 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Beachwood Sparks - Desert Skies [Vinyl New] US $19.43 Buy It Now 6h 26m
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks - 5486812 US $10.93 Buy It Now 6h 28m
SPARKS - EXOTIC CREATURES OF THE DEEP - LBRCD111X US $18.82 Buy It Now 6h 29m
Taylor swift sparks fly lim. edition #1739 Brand New and factory sealed US $159.00 [0 bids]
Sparks [LP] by Imogen Heap (Vinyl, Jun-2014, 2 Discs, RCA) US $16.78 Buy It Now 6h 49m
Larry Sparks "Live in Concert" LP Old Homestead OHS 90163 US $19.95 Buy It Now 6h 50m
SPARKS introducing LP Mint- WL Promo WLP PC 34901 w/Press Sheet, Inner US $30.00 Buy It Now 7h
Omillio Sparks - The Payback - Moss - Randy Bowland - Flemuel Brown - New CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 5m
Beachwood Sparks - Once Were DJ-ONLY advance CD SubPop US $8.49 Buy It Now 7h 13m
SEAFOOD - SIGNAL SPARKS - 7" - COOKING VINYL US $1.59 [0 bids]
Sparks - Now That I Own The BBC - Deleted UK/European 1996 4 track CD1 US $8.00 Buy It Now 7h 26m
beachwood sparks the tarnished gold rare 13 track cd US $4.79 [0 bids]
SPARKS ALL YOU EVER THINK ABOUT IS SEX DANCE VINYL 12'' US $5.00 Buy It Now 7h 44m
LIVEWIREZ TAKIN' IT TO THE STREETS MARLIN MYERS, SPARKS , WRECKA SEALED 12'' US $2.00 Buy It Now 7h 45m
STATE PROPERTY SUN DON'T SHINE DO YOU WANT ME FT YOUNG CHRIS SPARKS OSCHINO 12" US $5.00 Buy It Now 7h 56m
12 IN Disco SPARKS I Predict NM! Promo EB507 US $12.99 Buy It Now 8h 16m
12 IN Disco SPARKS Progress NM! Promo EB507 US $12.99 Buy It Now 8h 16m
2001 Gordon Haskell How Wonderful You Are/A Little Help From You (Flying Sparks) US $2.39 [0 bids]
SPARKS PULLING RABBITS OUT OF A HAT ATLANTIC LP RECORD VG+ US $9.60 Buy It Now 8h 48m
This Is It - Melvin Sparks New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $22.71 Buy It Now 9h
SPARKS I PREDICT & MOUSTACHE 12" & PS SEALED SS FRANCE US $20.00 Buy It Now 9h 25m
SPARKS - I PREDICT/ MOUSTACHE- ORIGINAL 1982 FRENCH 7" SP 45 -RON US $10.00 Buy It Now 9h 30m
SPARKS I PREDICT & MOUSTACHE 12" & PS FRENCH PRESSING US $10.00 Buy It Now 9h 31m
MINNY POPS - Sparks In A Dark Room (remastered) - 2xLP US $38.48 Buy It Now 9h 37m
Jordin Sparks - Battlefield (2012) - Used - Compact Disc US $0.99 [0 bids]
IMMUNE SYSTEM usa 7" 45 AMBIVALENCE & SPARKS, punk US $15.99 Buy It Now 9h 56m
SPARKS-INTRODUCING SPARKS CD NEW US $17.65 Buy It Now 9h 58m
FRAUSDOTS - COUTURE COUTURE COUTURE - CD SUB POP - THE TYDE - BEACHWOOD SPARKS US $6.40 Buy It Now 10h
Miranda Cosgrove - Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Apr-2010, Columbia (USA) US $2.99 [0 bids]
FOUR BRIGHT SPARKS In An Old World Garden / Melody Divine 78 COLUMBIA 5699 US $20.83 Buy It Now 10h 9m
miranda cosgrove sparks fly cd sealed, make an offer US $13.25 [0 bids]
Nick Urata - Ruby Sparks [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (Original... US $8.00 Buy It Now 10h 11m
SPARKS Angst In My Pants LP Record CD19347 Original Recording Vinyl US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 19m
2012 LEAF POP CENTURY AUTO: JORDIN SPARKS #3/5 AUTOGRAPH "AMERICAN IDOL WINNER" US $61.30 Buy It Now 10h 21m
MAYLAY SPARKS - GRAYMATTER NEW CD US $17.37 Buy It Now 10h 39m
LARRY SPARKS - OLD CHURCH YARD - NEW CD US $8.63 Buy It Now 10h 44m
SPARKS ALOT OF 2. ONE LP AND ONE 12" SINGLE.. NM CONDITION. US $19.95 [0 bids]
LARRY SPARKS - BLUE MOUNTAIN MEMORIES NEW CD US $20.61 Buy It Now 10h 52m
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ NEW CD Miranda Cosgrove: Sparks Fly US $10.95 Buy It Now 11h 3m
Imogen Heap - Sparks [Vinyl New] US $19.27 Buy It Now 11h 25m
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks [CD New] US $11.55 Buy It Now 11h 25m
SPARKLE - OST (CD 2012) NEW SPARKS HOUSTON CEELO GOAPELE EJOGO SUMPTER US $10.99 Buy It Now 11h 25m
Larry Sparks - Old Church Yard [CD New] US $9.31 Buy It Now 11h 25m
Sparks -Dick Around - Enhanced CD Single US $3.19 [0 bids]
Larry Sparks - John Deere Tractor [CD New] US $15.01 Buy It Now 11h 37m
Sparks-1994 magazine article US $8.00 Buy It Now 11h 39m
Jordin Sparks - Battlefield (2009) US $3.19 Buy It Now 11h 40m
SPARKS * BEAT THE CLOCK & BEAT THE CLOCK * 45 RPM * UK IMPORT US $10.00 Buy It Now 12h
The Chrysler - Failures And Sparks CD (2005) US $5.49 Buy It Now 12h 8m
Dark Sparks Blood Petrol Fire / Bullet in the eye Promo CD Single US $5.35 Buy It Now 12h 12m
SPARKS, and Jane Wiedlin, 7" 45 rpm, "Cool Places", The Go Go's, NM+, Ron Mael US $4.50 [0 bids]
Imogen Heap - Sparks - 14 Track US $4.63 [0 bids]
Sparks Plagiarism Radio Sampler 4 Cuts US Promo CD Single US $9.75 [0 bids]
BATZZ in the belfry-Sparks Fly Upward CD NEW US $13.14 Buy It Now 12h 36m
SPARKS 12 Inch Single Fingertips_The Scene 1986 Curb US $3.00 Buy It Now 12h 52m
PERE UBU - WAITING FOR MARY / WINE DARK SPARKS-7" Vinyl-1989 US $4.79 Buy It Now 13h 12m
Sparks-Beat The Clock 7? Single-Framed Wall Clock US $24.03 Buy It Now 13h 20m
BATZZ IN THE BELFRY - SPARKS FLY UPWARD NEW CD US $16.31 Buy It Now 13h 26m
IMOGEN HEAP - SPARKS NEW VINYL US $28.42 Buy It Now 13h 27m
Randy Sparks Presents The Back Porch Majority Epic Label LN-24134 US $9.99 [0 bids]
RAD Soundtrack 1986 ORIGINAL VINYL LP BMX X Games Farnham Beat Farmers Sparks US $80.03 [0 bids]
Clinton Sparks Run This City / Whatever It Takes 12" Single NM 2 copies PROMO US $8.95 Buy It Now 13h 59m
GRAHAM PARKER Squeezing Out Sparks RJ-7584 LP Ah1012 US $9.99 [0 bids]
MELVIN SPARKS Thank You (Pt. 1 & 2) 45 Prestige JAZZ FUNK SOUL Hammond B-3 HEAR US $6.99 Buy It Now 14h 11m
SPARKS ~ GET IN THE SWING / PROFILE ~ 1975 UK 7" SINGLE ~ ISLAND WIP.6236 US $7.21 Buy It Now 14h 11m
SPARKS ~ AMATEUR HOUR / LOST & FOUND ~ 1974 UK 7" SINGLE US $7.21 Buy It Now 14h 11m
SPARKS, AMATEUR HOUR ,7" VINYL US $0.80 [1 bids]
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS & SPARKS POSTER PRINT US $6.40 Buy It Now 14h 28m
TOMMY SPARKS - TOMMY SPARKS NEW CD US $18.81 Buy It Now 14h 43m
FRANKIE PAUL & TREVOR SPARKS "I Dont Wanna Be The One" UK Mr Doo US $6.40 Buy It Now 14h 50m
Sparks 2012 tour t shirt US $9.62 [0 bids]
SPARKS:NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON MOTHER EARTH:(1974) EX US $20.83 Buy It Now 15h 9m
Carter/Machover/Shapey - Hidden Sparks-Violin Works By Carter Machover [CD New] US $16.56 Buy It Now 15h 13m
Through The Sparks - Coin Toss Ep [CD New] US $8.77 Buy It Now 15h 15m
SPARKS IN THE SWING EU SPECTRUM TAPE 550 085-4 1993 COMPILATION US $8.00 Buy It Now 15h 25m
BEACHWOOD SPARKS - MAKE THE COWBOY ROBOTS CRY [EP] - NEW CD US $14.23 Buy It Now 15h 29m
TIM SPARKS - TANZ NEW CD US $20.61 Buy It Now 15h 32m
(CP497) Pati Yang, Wires & Sparks - 2012 sealed DJ CD US $4.79 Buy It Now 15h 52m
(CJ657) Woodstar, Life Sparks - 2003 CD US $9.78 Buy It Now 15h 52m
The New Christy Minstrels Under Randy Sparks Ramblin CL 2055 VG / VG US $11.99 Buy It Now 15h 57m
The Quiet Sides of the New Christy Minstrels Under Randy Sparks Columbia CS 9080 US $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 57m
Sparks 45 Prentending to Be Drunk - PROMO 7" vinyl rpm US $2.50 Buy It Now 16h 14m
SPARKS,TOMMY-TOMMY SPARKS CD NEW US $17.31 Buy It Now 16h 18m
45 Randy Sparks "Walkin' the Low Road" 1958 TEENFOLK Verve 10116 VG++/NM US $10.00 Buy It Now 16h 22m
The New Christy Minstrels "In Person" Randy Sparks Records Album Vinyl LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 16h 26m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS In Outer Space ratings distribution

SPARKS In Outer Space reviews

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I can't help but think that getting pegged as a novelty act in the previous couple of albums was something that bothered Ron and Russell, because this album (self-produced after the band parted ways with Reinhold Mack) veers strongly away from that approach. The band is still aspiring to sound witty, but this wit is manifested in a much drier and more subtle way than in the last couple of albums, where it often seemed like the band was trying to scream out "LOOK AT US WE'RE SO CLEVER!!!" The band has shifted its style firmly into contemporary synth pop (reducing the role of the guitar to much less than it had been on the previous couple of albums), and while this decision certainly had the potential to go badly (and it soon would), this album makes it seem like this kind of approach was perfect for the band at this point. Honestly, this shouldn't be shocking; just like with Heaven, this approach strips the band down to its essence (keyboards, snide lyrics and great vocal melodies), and while none of these aspects are firing on all cylinders quite like they were on Heaven, the result sounds, if nothing else, very competent.

Of course, making such a hard turn away from the novelty route had its drawbacks, as well. The band's best 70s work showed the band working within an area of ambiguity regarding the question of whether they were a novelty band or not; the ability to sing such ridiculous lyrics and flash such ridiculous ideas while delivering them in such a dry way that you didn't necessarily realize on first pass just how ridiculous they were was one of their most important talents. Whomp and Angst had spoiled the balance by simplifying the music (especially in the rhythm section) while overly accentuating how silly some of the lyrical ideas were. Space, on the other hand, makes the music less gimmicky but also makes it less fun, and this could be considered to spoil the balance just as much as those albums did. At least on Heaven, despite all of the disco-pop trimmings, it often seemed like Ron was trolling the intended audience with the lyrics, whereas the lyrics on this album are at best moderately clever but never intricate or subversive in the way they'd been on much of that album (or in previous albums). The point of all of this is that, while the band's stylistic tradeoff was a net positive in the short term, it didn't really fix the fundamental problems of the band at this point, and it's not shocking that things started to go so wrong on the next album.

Still, the future is the future, and the present is the present, and the present is pretty good. The big hit of the album was the opening "Cool Places," an up-tempo duet with Jane Wiedlin of The Go-Go's, and while I felt a little uncomfortable at first about how normal it sounded, I soon got over it. The vocal melody and instrumental parts (pretty much consisting only of keyboards and drums) are very crisp, for lack of a better term, and the lyrics are a great example of the band's new desire to write clever lyrics without beating the listener over the head with how clever they are. Sample lyric: "I wanna go where nobody's a fool/And no one says, "Uh, hey girl, need a light?" The following "Popularity" didn't have the benefit of having a guest appearance from a relatively famous person, but it's built around the same general approach and isn't much worse. The lyrics look really stupid on the surface, but it seems like their intent is to expose the vapidity of seeking for popularity for its own sake, much the same way that "Cool Places" goes after seeking coolness for its own sake. "What a night, we all drive into town/Where we'll park our cars, and meet the rest of our friends/At a place that's called, I forget what it's called/But it's really great, and all our friends will be there."

Amongst the remaining eight tracks, a couple are relatively gentle and earnest, while the others tend to have energy and/or snark fueling them to some degree. The lyrics to "Please, Baby, Please" are banal beyond saving, but there's a beauty in the interaction of the vocal melody with the nagging synth chords that makes the song worth it. "Lucky Me, Lucky You" (another duet with Jane Wiedlin) passed me by the first few times I listened to the album, but I've come around to it, largely because of the interesting topic (about two people finding love because they crashed on an island together, and mulling over what will happen if they're rescued), but also because it's novel to hear something so oddly touching on a Sparks album.

Among the remaining tracks, the only one to be fueled primarily by energy is "Praying for a Party," which I end up liking for a lot of the same reasons that I like "I Predict" from Angst. It has a monotonous pounding beat, yes, but I like the alternation between the layered Russells, the solo Russell and the humming Russell, so it can stick around on my iPod. The track that is fueled primarily by snark is the closing "Dance Godammit," a slow robotic number in which Russell, in a completely emotionless way, tells his feet and body to dance. If ever a song could make dancing sound like a joyless exercise akin to feeding yourself cauliflower, this is the one. "I get scared when I'm alone/So I don't stay alone/I like clubs/I like girls/I like music/And that's it/Dance Godammit/Dance Godammit."

The other four are all, to varying degrees, fueled by both energy and snark. "All You Ever Think About is Sex" treats sex in the same way "Dance Godammit" treats dance, as a joyless compulsion that's endlessly consumed but never to the point of fulfilment. It's not the most inventive music ever written, but the steady music (aside from a slower introduction) works perfectly with the lyrics. "Rockin' Girls" is synth-based (with quiet guitar once the song picks up steam) faux-rockabilly with moderately clever lyrics: the oft-quoted "And you're the only girl I've ever met who hates 'Hey Jude'/Maybe that's the reason I'm so in love you" is a gem, but the rest is decent as well. "I Wish I Looked A Little Better" is driven forward by the album's best synth part, and the lyrics, about looking irredeemably terrible, are a hoot. And finally, "A Fun Bunch of Guys From Outer Space" (which says the band is "here to infiltrate and get a tan") is a little more silly lyrically than is the norm for this album, but it ends up fitting for largely that reason, and it helps explain why the album cover features Ron covered in a cream pie.

No, this isn't a great album, and truth be told it isn't even that much better than Whomp or Angst. It is, however, the closest thing to a "last gasp" before the band's sound completely fell apart (it would come back together, but much later), and it deserves respect as such. If you feel the overwhelming need to dive into 80s Sparks, this is the place to start.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1153638) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "In Outer Space"