IN OUTER SPACE

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1983

1. Cool Places (3:23)
2. Popularity (3:53)
3. Prayin´ For a Party (3:02)
4. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (4:10)
5. Please, Baby, Please (3:42)
6. Rockin´ Girls (4:50)
7. I Wish I Looked a Little better (2:58)
8. Lucky Me, Lucky You (3:24)
9. A Fun Bunch Of Guys from Outer Space (4:02)
10. Dance Godammit (3:29)

Bonus tracks on 2009 Imperial Records (Japan) CD:
11. Miniskirted (3:47)
12. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (Unreleased Alternate Version) (4:06)
13. Sports (3:23)

Bonus tracks on 2013 Repertoire Records (Germany) CD:
11. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (Single Version) (3:33)
12. Sports (3:24)
13. Cool Places (12 Inch Mix) (4:40)
14. All You Ever Think About Is Sex (12 Inch Club Version) (5:07)
15. Dance Godammit (12 Inch Club Version) (4:00)

Search SPARKS In Outer Space lyrics

Search SPARKS In Outer Space tabs

- Russell Mael / vocals
- Ron Mael / synthesizer
- Leslie Bohem / bass, backing vocals
- Bob Haag / guitar, giutar-synthesizer, additional bass
- James Goodwin / additional keyboards
- David Kendrick / drums

LP Atlantic 80055-1 (1983, US)

LP CGD INT 20354 (1983, Italy)
LP Underdog, Oasis 67 981 (1983, France)
LP Atlantic 78 00551 (1983, Canada)
LP Oasis 6.25520 (1983, Germany)
LP Atlantic P-11360 (1983, Japan)
LP Atlantic 78-0055-1 (1983, Germany)

CD KioskCMP 62008 (1996, Germany)
CD Oglio Records OGL 81603-2 (1998, US)
CD Repertoire Records REP 4761-WG (1999, Germany)

CD Imperial Records TECI-26551 (2009, Japan, with 3 bonus tracks)
CD Repertoire Records REP 5312 (2013, Germany, with 5 bonus tracks)

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS In Outer Space Music

Fontana Island 2006
Kimono My HouseKimono My House
Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Fontana Island 2006
New Music for Amnesiacs: Essential CollectionNew Music for Amnesiacs: Essential Collection
Lil Beethoven UK 2013
LARRY SPARKS AND THE LONESOME RAMBLERS KING BLUE GRASS RECORDS 1ST P LP US $14.99 [0 bids]
44m 12s
SPARKS - SOMETHING FOR THE GIRL WITH EVERYTHING \ MARRY ME 7"VG+ US $3.99 [0 bids]
45m 31s
Beachwood Sparks Loser Edition Colored Vinyl Tarnished Gold Sealed 2X LP Sub Pop US $125.00 Buy It Now 59m 53s
Sparks LP Kimono My House US $11.50 [9 bids]
The Best Of Sparks LP US $8.00 [0 bids]
Hong Kong Gigi Leung 2000 CD + VCD + 2001 Calendar - Sparks US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
TAYLOR SWIFT Sparks Fly CD SINGLE One Track BRAND NEW Numbered Limited RARE US $75.00 Buy It Now 2h 20m
New Crack City - Clinton Sparks - New CD US $7.00 Buy It Now 2h 23m
BATTLEFIELD BY JORDIN SPARKS CD US $2.99 [0 bids]
THE SPIRIT VALENTINE "A SHOWER OF SPARKS" CD 1992 music Like New ULTRAVIOLET US $4.59 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Yellow Red Sparks, Yellow Red Sparks, New US $15.56 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Whitney Houston & Jordin Sparks Celebrate Japan Promo 1 Trk CD Single RARE US $99.99 Buy It Now 4h 33m
SPARKS "The number one song" RARE 7" ORIG ITALY-NEAR PERFECT! MORODER PRODUCTION US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 52m
LP SPARKS No 1 in HEAVEN 1970 WHITE LABEL PROMO NM NO BAR CODE MORODER SMASH! US $45.00 Buy It Now 4h 57m
VYNAL RECORD SINGLE. [ SPARKS ] US $1.66 [0 bids]
LARRY SPARKS - BEST OF LARRY SPARKS: BOUND TO RIDE NEW CD US $15.05 Buy It Now 5h 35m
SPARKS WHEN I´M WITH YOU 2 VERS PS 7" GERMANY 1980 US $5.99 Buy It Now 6h 8m
GRAHAM PARKER Squeezing Out Sparks US $15.73 Buy It Now 6h 24m
CD Album: Sparks : 1st Album US $10.23 Buy It Now 7h 9m
SPARKS KIMONO MY HOUSE ORIG 2001 JAPAN EDITION UNIVERSAL MINI LP CD UICY-9177 US $29.99 Buy It Now 8h 18m
Larry Sparks - Best Of Larry Sparks: Bound To Ride [CD New] US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 50m
Reggae 45 Lovers Rock TREVOR SPARKS Magic Man DIGITAL ENGLISH Records US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 52m
Sparks - Two Hands One Mouth Live In Europe (2CD New) US $21.53 Buy It Now 10h 16m
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $50.22 Buy It Now 10h 43m
Sparks - In Outer Space CD US $18.75 Buy It Now 10h 58m
Jacky Cheung Sparks of Love [Hybrid SACD] NEW Hong Kong CD 2003 ??? ??? Album ?? US $89.00 Buy It Now 11h 5m
CHATMON, Sam/SPARKS - Nobody But Me - 7" US $13.66 Buy It Now 11h 20m
(497O) Tommy Sparks, I'm A Rope - DJ CD US $4.06 Buy It Now 11h 23m
GRAHAM PARKER & THE RUMOUR Squeezing Out Sparks 1979 VG+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 11h 28m
LARRY SPARKS, CD "KENTUCKY BANJO" NEW SEALED US $5.99 Buy It Now 11h 44m
JEFF SPARKS - JAZZY CHRISTMAS WITH JEFF SPARKS NEW CD US $19.24 Buy It Now 11h 45m
SPARKS Best Of FRENCH Pressing CD Underdog 1985 Residents TUBES zappa THE QUICK US $6.00 [0 bids]
Akilah - Sparks,Melvin New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $29.89 Buy It Now 11h 59m
Sparks - Kimono My House (Remastered) (NEW CD) US $11.17 Buy It Now 12h
EDITORS All Sparks 2 Track CD Single EU 2006 US $4.95 Buy It Now 12h 11m
NEW - Travelin' by Sparks, Larry US $19.64 Buy It Now 12h 23m
SPARKS_Get In The Swing_used 45 VINYL_7"_from AUS!_C1a US $45.67 Buy It Now 13h 19m
Delta & Format - Sparks / Wishing - Critical #86886 US $4.96 Buy It Now 13h 24m
MELTED SUNGLASSES Sparks 7" OOP late-00's white vinyl Weird Hug indie-rock US $2.99 Buy It Now 13h 33m
YELLOW RED SPARKS NEW VINYL US $29.82 Buy It Now 13h 48m
propaganda sparks 8 track music tape nos sealed US $10.00 [0 bids]
HELLO EVERYONE - POPSIKE SPARKS FROM DENMARK STREET 1968-1970- GRAPEFRUIT US $14.90 Buy It Now 13h 52m
* SPARKS TERMINAL JIVE / JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 13h 58m
Sparks / This Town Ain't Big Enough ... / 1974 Pink Rim Island 7" US $11.59 Buy It Now 13h 59m
Sparks / Get In The Swing / 1975 Pink Rim Island 7" / EX+ US $11.59 Buy It Now 13h 59m
Razzy Bailey- Sparks.....rare new/sealed cassette! US $10.00 Buy It Now 14h 39m
Squeezing Out Sparks by Graham Parker (CD, Aug-1999, Arista) US $4.99 Buy It Now 14h 53m
7" Sparks When I'm With You 1980 French Picture Sleeve US $1.64 [0 bids]
Imogen Heap SPARKS DELUXE EDITION 2 CD SET MINT Played 1x NOT A PROMO US $6.95 [1 bids]
15h
Sparks Fly Miranda Cosgrove CD New still sealed US $6.49 Buy It Now 15h
1998 Maylay Sparks Unusual Styles / I Mani MS-0027 12" NM Vinyl Play Tested US $6.00 Buy It Now 15h 14m
SPARKS "I Predict" LP Cut and CLUB MIX Promo 12" Single US $7.95 Buy It Now 15h 29m
Sparks - When I Kiss You - BMG - 1995 #82163 US $4.96 Buy It Now 15h 32m
Minny Pops - Sparks In A Dark Room [Vinyl New] US $37.98 Buy It Now 15h 49m
HARRY SOKAL GROOVE - WHERE SPARKS START TO FLY - NEW CD US $18.29 Buy It Now 15h 57m
LARRY SPARKS - JOHN DEERE TRACTOR - NEW CD US $12.03 Buy It Now 16h 4m
1962 Presenting The New Christy Minstrels Randy Sparks 2-Eye MONO CL-1872 VG+ US $2.75 Buy It Now 16h 7m
MELVIN SPARKS AKILAH PRESTIGE RECORDS 10039 STEREO US $2.25 [2 bids]
SPARKS Electropop Collection CD RUSSIA 2001 RARE!!! US $39.98 [0 bids]
SPARKS Calm Before the Storm EDIT & UNRELEASE CD Single US $24.99 Buy It Now 16h 17m
Pay Back, Sparks, Omillio, Very Good US $3.02 Buy It Now 16h 19m
sparks lp introducing w/inner vg+/vg+ pc 34901 US $5.39 Buy It Now 16h 39m
sparks lp big beat wl promo w/inner vg/vg+ pc 34359 US $5.39 Buy It Now 16h 41m
JORDIN SPARKS - ONE STEP AT A TIME 1TRK PROMO CD B13 US $0.99 Buy It Now 16h 53m
JACK McDuff - Do it Now! ~ATLANTIC 1484 {orig} *1967* w/Melvin Sparks, Appleton US $32.99 Buy It Now 17h 8m
Vintage 70s Sparks Kimono My House Island Records Album Vinyl LP US $30.00 Buy It Now 17h 12m
Jason Sparks - Natural Born World Shaker - 2000 #49420 US $4.96 Buy It Now 17h 29m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $3.00 [0 bids]
Larry Sparks Sings Hank Williams LP Ralph Stanley Clinch Mountain Boys US $8.99 Buy It Now 17h 42m
Larry Sparks You Could Have Called LP Ralph Stanley Clinch Mountain Boys US $12.59 Buy It Now 17h 44m
Sparks Kimono In My House (1974, Island) Shrink Wrap! Record, Vinyl, Album, LP US $24.97 Buy It Now 18h 2m
20 song BLUEGRASS ORIGINALS V2 country gentlemen JD CROWE larry sparks NEW TAPE US $5.49 Buy It Now 18h 25m
Sparks - Best of [Repertoire] (Digitally Remastered, 2002) US $4.96 [0 bids]
GET CRAZY: ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK LP /RAMONES /LOU REED /SPARKS+++++ US $66.00 Buy It Now 18h 40m
SPARKS - Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins by Sparks CD Feb-1995, Lil Beethoven US $20.00 Buy It Now 18h 41m
Charles Earland - Black Talk! LP Jazz Funk Prestige Melvin Sparks Idris Muhammad US $4.99 [4 bids]
RICK CUA Midnight Sun 1989 CD RARE OUTLAWS REBECCA SPARKS US $16.95 Buy It Now 18h 54m
Exotic Creatures of the Deep - Sparks New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $27.72 Buy It Now 18h 58m
TORI SPARKS - Rivers + Roads (CD 2004) US $7.99 Buy It Now 19h 12m
Lou Donaldson - Cosmos LP Jazz Funk on Blue Note Leon Spencer Melvin Sparks US $11.24 [11 bids]
SPARKS, Just Got Back From Heaven, CD, IMPORT US $5.00 Buy It Now 20h 19m
Sparks in a Dark Room [5/20] by Minny Pops (Vinyl, May-2014, 2 Discs, Factory... US $35.02 Buy It Now 20h 27m
MARK SPARKS / CLINTON ADAMS - FLUTE RECITAL NEW CD US $24.59 Buy It Now 20h 35m
Love Thieves - Sparks [CD New] US $6.23 Buy It Now 20h 42m
? PAGAN REIGN Sparks Of Glory And Revival SAPCD 012 PAGAN METAL US $11.20 Buy It Now 20h 48m
Hang Your Hat on the Wind Walt Disney Randy Sparks dh DQ-1332 EX LP Near Mint US $9.99 [0 bids]
Randy Sparks & BPM American Gramophone Special edition open shrink1 poster 6tix US $17.00 [0 bids]
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) US $6.99 Buy It Now 21h 46m
SPARKS tryouts for the human race 7" WS EX/ uk virgin US $11.59 Buy It Now 21h 48m
Sparks Beat The Clock, Blue Vinyl picture Disc 12" Vinyl US $19.88 Buy It Now 21h 53m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $2.99 Buy It Now 22h 10m
JIMMIE LUNCEFORD: The Last Sparks-1941-1944 (jazz vinyl LP) US $18.00 Buy It Now 22h 19m
TIM SPARKS - LITTLE PRINCESS * [702397814320] - NEW CD US $13.70 Buy It Now 22h 24m
Graham Parker Squeezing Out Sparks CD Rock New Wave Music Album Brand New US $11.59 Buy It Now 22h 25m
Sparks No 1 In Heaven 6E-186 Promo Copy US $7.96 Buy It Now 22h 30m
(DM398) Clinton Sparks Kanye West, Touch The Sky - sealed CD US $10.11 Buy It Now 22h 43m
Two Sparks & Two Stars, Two Sparks & Two Stars, Very Good Maxi, Single US $5.57 Buy It Now 22h 50m
SPARKS Music You Can Dance To 1986 USA LP MCA RECORDS 5780 US $4.99 Buy It Now 22h 59m
Sparks Indiscreet 1975 CD Rock Music Album Brand New US $11.59 Buy It Now 23h 28m
ADRIAN CROWLEY - SEASON OF THE SPARKS NEW CD US $20.00 Buy It Now 23h 57m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS In Outer Space ratings distribution

SPARKS In Outer Space reviews

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I can't help but think that getting pegged as a novelty act in the previous couple of albums was something that bothered Ron and Russell, because this album (self-produced after the band parted ways with Reinhold Mack) veers strongly away from that approach. The band is still aspiring to sound witty, but this wit is manifested in a much drier and more subtle way than in the last couple of albums, where it often seemed like the band was trying to scream out "LOOK AT US WE'RE SO CLEVER!!!" The band has shifted its style firmly into contemporary synth pop (reducing the role of the guitar to much less than it had been on the previous couple of albums), and while this decision certainly had the potential to go badly (and it soon would), this album makes it seem like this kind of approach was perfect for the band at this point. Honestly, this shouldn't be shocking; just like with Heaven, this approach strips the band down to its essence (keyboards, snide lyrics and great vocal melodies), and while none of these aspects are firing on all cylinders quite like they were on Heaven, the result sounds, if nothing else, very competent.

Of course, making such a hard turn away from the novelty route had its drawbacks, as well. The band's best 70s work showed the band working within an area of ambiguity regarding the question of whether they were a novelty band or not; the ability to sing such ridiculous lyrics and flash such ridiculous ideas while delivering them in such a dry way that you didn't necessarily realize on first pass just how ridiculous they were was one of their most important talents. Whomp and Angst had spoiled the balance by simplifying the music (especially in the rhythm section) while overly accentuating how silly some of the lyrical ideas were. Space, on the other hand, makes the music less gimmicky but also makes it less fun, and this could be considered to spoil the balance just as much as those albums did. At least on Heaven, despite all of the disco-pop trimmings, it often seemed like Ron was trolling the intended audience with the lyrics, whereas the lyrics on this album are at best moderately clever but never intricate or subversive in the way they'd been on much of that album (or in previous albums). The point of all of this is that, while the band's stylistic tradeoff was a net positive in the short term, it didn't really fix the fundamental problems of the band at this point, and it's not shocking that things started to go so wrong on the next album.

Still, the future is the future, and the present is the present, and the present is pretty good. The big hit of the album was the opening "Cool Places," an up-tempo duet with Jane Wiedlin of The Go-Go's, and while I felt a little uncomfortable at first about how normal it sounded, I soon got over it. The vocal melody and instrumental parts (pretty much consisting only of keyboards and drums) are very crisp, for lack of a better term, and the lyrics are a great example of the band's new desire to write clever lyrics without beating the listener over the head with how clever they are. Sample lyric: "I wanna go where nobody's a fool/And no one says, "Uh, hey girl, need a light?" The following "Popularity" didn't have the benefit of having a guest appearance from a relatively famous person, but it's built around the same general approach and isn't much worse. The lyrics look really stupid on the surface, but it seems like their intent is to expose the vapidity of seeking for popularity for its own sake, much the same way that "Cool Places" goes after seeking coolness for its own sake. "What a night, we all drive into town/Where we'll park our cars, and meet the rest of our friends/At a place that's called, I forget what it's called/But it's really great, and all our friends will be there."

Amongst the remaining eight tracks, a couple are relatively gentle and earnest, while the others tend to have energy and/or snark fueling them to some degree. The lyrics to "Please, Baby, Please" are banal beyond saving, but there's a beauty in the interaction of the vocal melody with the nagging synth chords that makes the song worth it. "Lucky Me, Lucky You" (another duet with Jane Wiedlin) passed me by the first few times I listened to the album, but I've come around to it, largely because of the interesting topic (about two people finding love because they crashed on an island together, and mulling over what will happen if they're rescued), but also because it's novel to hear something so oddly touching on a Sparks album.

Among the remaining tracks, the only one to be fueled primarily by energy is "Praying for a Party," which I end up liking for a lot of the same reasons that I like "I Predict" from Angst. It has a monotonous pounding beat, yes, but I like the alternation between the layered Russells, the solo Russell and the humming Russell, so it can stick around on my iPod. The track that is fueled primarily by snark is the closing "Dance Godammit," a slow robotic number in which Russell, in a completely emotionless way, tells his feet and body to dance. If ever a song could make dancing sound like a joyless exercise akin to feeding yourself cauliflower, this is the one. "I get scared when I'm alone/So I don't stay alone/I like clubs/I like girls/I like music/And that's it/Dance Godammit/Dance Godammit."

The other four are all, to varying degrees, fueled by both energy and snark. "All You Ever Think About is Sex" treats sex in the same way "Dance Godammit" treats dance, as a joyless compulsion that's endlessly consumed but never to the point of fulfilment. It's not the most inventive music ever written, but the steady music (aside from a slower introduction) works perfectly with the lyrics. "Rockin' Girls" is synth-based (with quiet guitar once the song picks up steam) faux-rockabilly with moderately clever lyrics: the oft-quoted "And you're the only girl I've ever met who hates 'Hey Jude'/Maybe that's the reason I'm so in love you" is a gem, but the rest is decent as well. "I Wish I Looked A Little Better" is driven forward by the album's best synth part, and the lyrics, about looking irredeemably terrible, are a hoot. And finally, "A Fun Bunch of Guys From Outer Space" (which says the band is "here to infiltrate and get a tan") is a little more silly lyrically than is the norm for this album, but it ends up fitting for largely that reason, and it helps explain why the album cover features Ron covered in a cream pie.

No, this isn't a great album, and truth be told it isn't even that much better than Whomp or Angst. It is, however, the closest thing to a "last gasp" before the band's sound completely fell apart (it would come back together, but much later), and it deserves respect as such. If you feel the overwhelming need to dive into 80s Sparks, this is the place to start.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1153638) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "In Outer Space"