GRATUITOUS SAX & SENSELESS VIOLINS

Sparks Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins album cover

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1994

1. Gratuitous Sax (0:31)
2. When Do I Get To Sing "My Way" (4:37)
3. When I Kiss You ( I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) (5:13)
4. Frankly, Scarlett, I Donīt Give a Damn (5:03)
5. I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car (4:02)
6. Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil (5:37)
7. Now That I Own The BBC (4:58)
8. Tsui Hark (4:31)
9. The Ghost Of Liberace (4:15)
10. Letīs Go Surfing (5:02)
11. Senseless Violins (0:47)

Search SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins lyrics

Search SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins tabs

- Russell Mael / vocals
- Ron Mael / keyboards

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins Music

Terminal JiveTerminal Jive
Repertoire 1999
#1 in Heaven#1 in Heaven
Repertoire 1999
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $50.22 Buy It Now 53m 55s
Sparks - In Outer Space CD US $18.75 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Jacky Cheung Sparks of Love [Hybrid SACD] NEW Hong Kong CD 2003 ??? ??? Album ?? US $89.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
CHATMON, Sam/SPARKS - Nobody But Me - 7" US $13.66 Buy It Now 1h 31m
(497O) Tommy Sparks, I'm A Rope - DJ CD US $4.06 Buy It Now 1h 33m
GRAHAM PARKER & THE RUMOUR Squeezing Out Sparks 1979 VG+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
LARRY SPARKS, CD "KENTUCKY BANJO" NEW SEALED US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
JEFF SPARKS - JAZZY CHRISTMAS WITH JEFF SPARKS NEW CD US $19.27 Buy It Now 1h 55m
SPARKS Best Of FRENCH Pressing CD Underdog 1985 Residents TUBES zappa THE QUICK US $6.00 [1 bids]
Akilah - Sparks,Melvin New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $29.89 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Sparks - Kimono My House (Remastered) (NEW CD) US $11.18 Buy It Now 2h 11m
EDITORS All Sparks 2 Track CD Single EU 2006 US $4.95 Buy It Now 2h 21m
NEW - Travelin' by Sparks, Larry US $19.63 Buy It Now 2h 34m
SPARKS_Get In The Swing_used 45 VINYL_7"_from AUS!_C1a US $45.75 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Delta & Format - Sparks / Wishing - Critical #86886 US $4.96 Buy It Now 3h 35m
MELTED SUNGLASSES Sparks 7" OOP late-00's white vinyl Weird Hug indie-rock US $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 44m
YELLOW RED SPARKS NEW VINYL US $29.87 Buy It Now 3h 59m
propaganda sparks 8 track music tape nos sealed US $10.00 [0 bids]
4h
HELLO EVERYONE - POPSIKE SPARKS FROM DENMARK STREET 1968-1970- GRAPEFRUIT US $14.91 Buy It Now 4h 3m
* SPARKS TERMINAL JIVE / JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Sparks / This Town Ain't Big Enough ... / 1974 Pink Rim Island 7" US $11.59 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Sparks / Get In The Swing / 1975 Pink Rim Island 7" / EX+ US $11.59 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Razzy Bailey- Sparks.....rare new/sealed cassette! US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Squeezing Out Sparks by Graham Parker (CD, Aug-1999, Arista) US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
7" Sparks When I'm With You 1980 French Picture Sleeve US $1.64 [0 bids]
Imogen Heap SPARKS DELUXE EDITION 2 CD SET MINT Played 1x NOT A PROMO US $6.95 [2 bids]
Sparks Fly Miranda Cosgrove CD New still sealed US $6.49 Buy It Now 5h 12m
1998 Maylay Sparks Unusual Styles / I Mani MS-0027 12" NM Vinyl Play Tested US $6.00 Buy It Now 5h 24m
SPARKS "I Predict" LP Cut and CLUB MIX Promo 12" Single US $7.95 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Sparks - When I Kiss You - BMG - 1995 #82163 US $4.96 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Minny Pops - Sparks In A Dark Room [Vinyl New] US $37.98 Buy It Now 6h
HARRY SOKAL GROOVE - WHERE SPARKS START TO FLY - NEW CD US $18.29 Buy It Now 6h 8m
LARRY SPARKS - JOHN DEERE TRACTOR - NEW CD US $12.03 Buy It Now 6h 14m
1962 Presenting The New Christy Minstrels Randy Sparks 2-Eye MONO CL-1872 VG+ US $2.75 Buy It Now 6h 18m
MELVIN SPARKS AKILAH PRESTIGE RECORDS 10039 STEREO US $2.25 [2 bids]
SPARKS Electropop Collection CD RUSSIA 2001 RARE!!! US $39.98 [0 bids]
SPARKS Calm Before the Storm EDIT & UNRELEASE CD Single US $24.99 Buy It Now 6h 28m
sparks lp introducing w/inner vg+/vg+ pc 34901 US $5.39 Buy It Now 6h 49m
sparks lp big beat wl promo w/inner vg/vg+ pc 34359 US $5.39 Buy It Now 6h 52m
JORDIN SPARKS - ONE STEP AT A TIME 1TRK PROMO CD B13 US $0.99 Buy It Now 7h 3m
JACK McDuff - Do it Now! ~ATLANTIC 1484 {orig} *1967* w/Melvin Sparks, Appleton US $32.99 Buy It Now 7h 19m
Vintage 70s Sparks Kimono My House Island Records Album Vinyl LP US $30.00 Buy It Now 7h 23m
Jason Sparks - Natural Born World Shaker - 2000 #49420 US $4.96 Buy It Now 7h 40m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $3.00 [0 bids]
Larry Sparks Sings Hank Williams LP Ralph Stanley Clinch Mountain Boys US $8.99 Buy It Now 7h 53m
Larry Sparks You Could Have Called LP Ralph Stanley Clinch Mountain Boys US $12.59 Buy It Now 7h 55m
Sparks Kimono In My House (1974, Island) Shrink Wrap! Record, Vinyl, Album, LP US $24.97 Buy It Now 8h 13m
20 song BLUEGRASS ORIGINALS V2 country gentlemen JD CROWE larry sparks NEW TAPE US $5.49 Buy It Now 8h 35m
Sparks - Best of [Repertoire] (Digitally Remastered, 2002) US $4.96 [0 bids]
GET CRAZY: ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK LP /RAMONES /LOU REED /SPARKS+++++ US $66.00 Buy It Now 8h 50m
SPARKS - Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins by Sparks CD Feb-1995, Lil Beethoven US $20.00 Buy It Now 8h 51m
Charles Earland - Black Talk! LP Jazz Funk Prestige Melvin Sparks Idris Muhammad US $15.24 [15 bids]
RICK CUA Midnight Sun 1989 CD RARE OUTLAWS REBECCA SPARKS US $16.95 Buy It Now 9h 5m
Exotic Creatures of the Deep - Sparks New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $27.72 Buy It Now 9h 9m
TORI SPARKS - Rivers + Roads (CD 2004) US $7.99 Buy It Now 9h 23m
Lou Donaldson - Cosmos LP Jazz Funk on Blue Note Leon Spencer Melvin Sparks US $11.24 [11 bids]
SPARKS, Just Got Back From Heaven, CD, IMPORT US $5.00 Buy It Now 10h 30m
Sparks in a Dark Room [5/20] by Minny Pops (Vinyl, May-2014, 2 Discs, Factory... US $35.05 Buy It Now 10h 38m
MARK SPARKS / CLINTON ADAMS - FLUTE RECITAL NEW CD US $24.63 Buy It Now 10h 46m
Love Thieves - Sparks [CD New] US $6.23 Buy It Now 10h 52m
? PAGAN REIGN Sparks Of Glory And Revival SAPCD 012 PAGAN METAL US $11.20 Buy It Now 10h 59m
Hang Your Hat on the Wind Walt Disney Randy Sparks dh DQ-1332 EX LP Near Mint US $9.99 [0 bids]
Randy Sparks & BPM American Gramophone Special edition open shrink1 poster 6tix US $17.00 [0 bids]
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) US $6.99 Buy It Now 11h 56m
SPARKS tryouts for the human race 7" WS EX/ uk virgin US $11.59 Buy It Now 11h 59m
Sparks Beat The Clock, Blue Vinyl picture Disc 12" Vinyl US $19.88 Buy It Now 12h 4m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $2.99 Buy It Now 12h 20m
JIMMIE LUNCEFORD: The Last Sparks-1941-1944 (jazz vinyl LP) US $18.00 Buy It Now 12h 30m
TIM SPARKS - LITTLE PRINCESS * [702397814320] - NEW CD US $13.70 Buy It Now 12h 34m
Graham Parker Squeezing Out Sparks CD Rock New Wave Music Album Brand New US $11.59 Buy It Now 12h 36m
Sparks No 1 In Heaven 6E-186 Promo Copy US $7.96 Buy It Now 12h 40m
(DM398) Clinton Sparks Kanye West, Touch The Sky - sealed CD US $10.12 Buy It Now 12h 53m
Two Sparks & Two Stars, Two Sparks & Two Stars, Very Good Maxi, Single US $5.57 Buy It Now 13h
SPARKS Music You Can Dance To 1986 USA LP MCA RECORDS 5780 US $4.99 Buy It Now 13h 10m
Sparks Indiscreet 1975 CD Rock Music Album Brand New US $11.59 Buy It Now 13h 39m
ADRIAN CROWLEY - SEASON OF THE SPARKS NEW CD US $20.04 Buy It Now 14h 8m
JORDIN SPARKS - TATTOO CD SINGLE US $6.49 Buy It Now 14h 11m
LARRY SPARKS - THE BEST OF LARRY SPARKS: BOUND TO RIDE - NEW CD US $6.02 Buy It Now 14h 27m
Sparks - With All My Might/Sparks In The Dark - USA Picture Sleeve PS 7" US $10.41 Buy It Now 14h 48m
Graham Parker Squeezing Out Sparks CD Original Japan US $7.99 Buy It Now 15h 20m
Al Sparks [8-Track] I Heard It At The Barber Shop *Girlie Cover* (Comedy) *1972* US $10.99 Buy It Now 15h 26m
THROUGH THE SPARKS - LAZARUS BEACH [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $8.95 Buy It Now 15h 49m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
LARRY SPARKS - SILVER REFLECTIONS NEW CD US $21.96 Buy It Now 16h 18m
Miranda Cosgrove - Sparks Fly CD US $13.87 Buy It Now 16h 19m
The Delroys wtih Milton Sparks - Bermuda Shorts / Time 45 1957 vg US $2.99 Buy It Now 16h 20m
SPARKS Indiscreet 1975 LP NM US orig gate glam/rock LA rare queen synth vinyl US $28.00 Buy It Now 16h 23m
Halfnelson '71 Sparks Orig LP bv2048 rare glam rock todd rundgren STERLING stamp US $159.00 Buy It Now 16h 32m
FUNKYMIX 116 CD JORDAN SPARKS LIL MAMA NELLY LIL WAYNE US $14.99 Buy It Now 16h 44m
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Apr-2010, Columbia (USA)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Beachwood Sparks - Tarnished Gold Vinyl Record LP US $27.06 Buy It Now 16h 46m
JASON SPARKS natural born world shaker / darker side + 12" RECORD BREAKS US $9.75 Buy It Now 17h 2m
Larry Sparks - Old Church Yard CD US $13.28 Buy It Now 17h 2m
SPARKS-GIRL FROM GERMANY-BEARSVILLE K 15516 - UK PRESS US $10.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS-LOOKS,LOOKS,LOOKS/PINEAPPLE-ISLAND WIP 6249-UK US $10.99 [0 bids]
Sparks Clinton & Busta Rhymes - New Crack City Asia CD US $21.59 Buy It Now 17h 3m
Beachwood Sparks CD US $14.94 Buy It Now 17h 3m
Minny Pops - Sparks In A Dark Room CD US $21.92 Buy It Now 17h 4m
Merwin Richard - Sparks Of July Cdrp CD US $20.32 Buy It Now 17h 6m
Jordin sparks US $7.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins ratings distribution

SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars After a pretty average decade of the '80s where Sparks continued their on/off fling with dance music, to various levels of success, the band decided to take a break and to do a bunch of completely offbeat projects (consult Wikipedia for more details).

Fortunately Mael brothers came to their senses and returned to music after a 6 years hiatus with another landmarks of an album Gratuitous Sax And Senseless Violins! I guess that it's safe to say that a break from music really got their creativity going and even though many people might dismiss this album for being merely a record of its time, with inspiration clearly borrowed from popular synthpop acts like Pet Shop Boys and Erasure, this is easily one of the most entertaining albums of the '90s!

Just look at this hilarious album cover and tell me that you're not even a bit intrigued of listening to it? The album is literally filled with great singles like When Do I Get To Sing "My Way, (When I Kiss You) I Hear Charlie Parker Playing and Now That I Own The BBC. Luckily even the album tracks are equally as entertaining. Two tracks that always are high on my playlist are the completely hilarious I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car and the surprisingly energetic album closer Let's Go Surfing.

Sparks only released one proper new release in the '90s (not counting the remix album Plagiarism) and so they really made this one count! Gratuitous Sax And Senseless Violins is an excellent album and another career highlight for Sparks. Luckily this was only the beginning of a new stroke of genius for the duo.

***** star songs: Gratuitous Sax (0:31) When Do I Get To Sing 'My Way' (4:37) I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car (4:20) Let's Go Surfing (5:02)

**** star songs: When I Kiss You ( I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) (5:13) Frankly, Scarlett, I Don't Give A Damn (5:03) Now That I Own The BBC (4:58) Tsui Hark (4:31) The Ghost Of Liberace (4:15) Senseless Violins (0:50)

*** star songs: Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil (5:37)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#449187) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars It took a break of six years (during which the brothers were trying to make a Japanese comic strip into a movie) to make it happen, but the brothers finally made another good album. There are some reasons to poo-poo it, of course; the sound makes extensive use of contemporary techno sounds and beats, and on my first few listens I had trouble getting beyond the notion of the duo (it's pointless to call them a 'band' at this point; the brothers handled all of the music and the bulk of the production) as a couple of old men trying to grab onto a music scene that had passed them by (kinda like with David Bowie and Earthling a few years later). This isn't, by and large, my kind of music, and I almost certainly would never find my way to an album like this if it wasn't made by a group with whom I was already familiar. And yet, for whatever issues I might have with the underpinning production choices, I can't help but enjoy a good chunk of this album. It's not on the same level as Heaven (the easy comparison point for this album), but it's about as good as In Outer Space (a less obvious but equally valid comparison point).

It definitely helps that the album's first "real" song (I'm disregarding the silly jokes "Gratuitous Sax" and "Senseless Violins" which open and close the album, even if they're a delight and I wouldn't want to hear the album without them) is the group's best since the 70s. "When Do I Get to Sing 'My Way'?" is a MONSTER of a great pop anthem, with lyrics about the regret that comes from always doing things the way other people expect of you, great keyboard parts on top of the generic techno beat, and a set of glorious melodies. I actually heard this song long after I heard most great Sparks songs, largely because its reputation was so impeccable that I wanted to reserve one last potential treat from the band for as long as I reasonably could, and it's every bit as great as I'd have hoped at the time. If you like Sparks and haven't heard this song yet, please please please find it and listen to it.

It's very easy, after the great opening track, to frame this album as one great track plus a bunch of techno blah, but that's not really fair. What strikes me most about this album is that, once I get beyond the techno aspects, I feel like I can sense the band's actual personality for the first time in a while. The lyrics tend to be genuinely clever and goofy, there's a lot of fun had with layering Russell's vocals, there are some ridiculous (in a good way) faux-operatic moments, there's some variety in the keyboard sounds, and there are clever and unconventional twists in the chord sequences. In other words, I feel like I'm actually listening to a Sparks album. "I Thought I Told You to Wait in the Car" (a lot of monologue interspersed with singing the title in the most overly dramatic way imaginable) and "Tsui Hark" (a drone with sporadic speaking by film director Tsui Hark) largely pass me by (though I kinda like some of the angrier beats in the former), but the rest is delightful. It doesn't get quite the same praise as "When Do I Get to Sing 'My Way'?" does, and the idea of Russell Mael rapping is a little unsettling, but the chorus of "(When I Kiss You) I Hear Charlie Parker Playing" is glorious, and it helps me like the song almost as much as the more famous track that comes before it. I'm also quite the fan of "Now That I Own the BBC" (a lyrical throwback to the absurdity of "I Bought the Mississippi River" with a very playful tune) and "Let's Go Surfing" (with some terrible keyboard sounds playing beautiful keyboard parts while Russell sings lyrics that end up sounding majestic in context).

The other tracks are good enough. "Frankly, Scarlett, I Don't Give a Damn" and "Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil" are each mournful drones, the former featuring a nagging keyboard line echoed by Russell's "doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo" and the latter featuring an atmospheric-as-hell combination of Russell's normal voice and falsetto in the "chorus." Finally, "The Ghost of Liberace" is dinky silliness, but it's dinky silliness in a way that takes me back to the band's peak era, especially in the goofy chorus line of "The ghost of Liberace still has that mystique/If he were alive he'd now be at his peak" or in the "Sometimes he blinds the drivers with his shiny suits/They see that smile and they laugh at him, he don't shoot" couplet.

It would have been very easy for the band to just give up after their flameout in the 80s, but I'm glad they had the desire and material for a comeback. If you're not the kind who minds the kind of production approach they took, you might even love this album, but all Sparks fans should definitely hear it.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1164027) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 21, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins"