GRATUITOUS SAX & SENSELESS VIOLINS

Sparks Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins album cover

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1994

1. Gratuitous Sax (0:31)
2. When Do I Get To Sing "My Way" (4:37)
3. When I Kiss You ( I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) (5:13)
4. Frankly, Scarlett, I Donīt Give a Damn (5:03)
5. I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car (4:02)
6. Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil (5:37)
7. Now That I Own The BBC (4:58)
8. Tsui Hark (4:31)
9. The Ghost Of Liberace (4:15)
10. Letīs Go Surfing (5:02)
11. Senseless Violins (0:47)

Search SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins lyrics

Search SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins tabs

- Russell Mael / vocals
- Ron Mael / keyboards

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins Music

PropagandaPropaganda
Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Fontana Island 2006
Kimono My HouseKimono My House
Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Fontana Island 2006
LARRY SPARKS AND THE LONESOME RAMBLERS KING BLUE GRASS RECORDS 1ST P LP US $14.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS Halfnelson 1st US 1971 issue SEALED! NM! RARE! Todd Rundgren US $145.00 [0 bids]
TIGERBOMBS - 1OOO SPARKS b/w HEART GRENADES - RF - PIC.SLV + 45 - EU PRESSING US $12.95 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Sixteen Deluxe - Emits Showers of Sparks CD NM gold stamp promo US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Sparks-When I Kiss You I Hear Charlie Parker-LP NM- US $5.95 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Jordin Sparks,Artist - Jordin Sparks, in Good condition CD US $2.82 Buy It Now 2h 46m
MINNY POPS Vinyl LP Sparks In A Dark Room (1982) US $49.99 Buy It Now 3h 3m
EDITORS All Sparks CD w CICADA REMIX & video + From The Outside htf / oop US $14.99 [0 bids]
??? ????? Jacky Cheung Sparks Of Love, RARE original 1st print CD 1992 PolydorHK US $75.00 [0 bids]
LARRY SPARKS "Lonesome Guitar" RARE TEST PRESSINGS Rebel 1633 US $55.23 Buy It Now 4h 8m
LARRY SPARKS "Lonesome Guitar" RARE TEST PRESSINGS Rebel 1633.1 US $55.23 Buy It Now 4h 10m
SPARKS NO 1 IN HEAVEN VINYL LP 12" RECORD w/INNER US $13.99 Buy It Now 4h 35m
SPARKS Mael Intuition The Best Of Sparks 1974-76 CD BRAND NEW US $15.73 Buy It Now 5h 15m
SPARKS BIG BEAT demonstration 1976 ISLAND RECORD US $0.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS-CHANGE/THIS TOWN AIN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR THE.. (GERMAN PRESS) US $4.85 [1 bids]
Sparks - When I kiss you UK 12" US $14.57 Buy It Now 6h 36m
cd-single, Jordin Sparks - Tatoo, 2 Tracks, Australia US $3.47 Buy It Now 7h 6m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $3.00 Buy It Now 7h 36m
SPARKS HELLO YOUNG LOVERS 10 TRACK CD DICK AROUND PERFUME RON RUSSELL MAEL GLAM US $3.23 [0 bids]
8h
LP Various "Music Express" 20 Twenty Original Hits & Stars" K-TEL TE 702 Sparks US $11.33 Buy It Now 8h 33m
SPARKS Funny Face / Don't Shoot Me 1981 German Ariola/Oasis 7" & PS US $7.49 Buy It Now 8h 41m
Monty gum Pop Posters 1978 Kate Bush Sparks Plastic Bertrand Three Degrees US $7.62 Buy It Now 9h
SPARKS - NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON MOTHER EARTH - 7" VINYL 1974 ISLAND US $5.33 Buy It Now 9h 15m
YELLOW RED SPARKS-YELLOW RED SPARKS VINYL LP NEW US $22.73 Buy It Now 9h 22m
Crowley Adrian - Season Of The Sparks - CHEM124CD US $12.37 Buy It Now 10h 27m
UKRAINE import SPARKS Exotic Creatures of the Deep MOON rec. UKR CD US $14.90 Buy It Now 10h 29m
CHROME SPARKS - Goddess - 12" + MP3 download code US $20.02 Buy It Now 10h 53m
Trevor Sparks Sparks Gold Disc Reggae LP Playgraded US $8.99 Buy It Now 11h 15m
SPARKS KIMONO 1974 ORIGINAL RARE EXYUGO LP US $102.49 Buy It Now 11h 16m
Eyes to the Sun by Sparks the Rescue (CD, May-2009, ... US $8.00 Buy It Now 11h 18m
TOMMY SPARKS - TOMMY SPARKS - NEW CD US $14.25 Buy It Now 11h 36m
Graymatter by Maylay Sparks (CD, Jan-2006, Raps... US $6.50 Buy It Now 12h 3m
Sonny Phillips~ Black Magic~Melvin Sparks~Jazz/Funk UK 180 1994 OOP NEW~PRESTIGE US $9.99 [0 bids]
Larry Sparks(Vinyl LP)Ramblin Letters-Acoustic Revival-AR33004-US-Ex/NM US $24.30 Buy It Now 12h 24m
Larry Sparks(Vinyl LP)It's Never Too Late-June Appal-JA034-US-NM/EX- US $18.63 Buy It Now 12h 24m
Larry Sparks(Vinyl LP)Sings Hank Williams-Country-759-US-Ex/NM US $24.30 Buy It Now 12h 24m
Larry Sparks(Vinyl LP)Ramblin Letters-Acoustic Revival-AR33004-US-Ex/NM US $26.29 Buy It Now 12h 27m
Larry Sparks(Vinyl LP)Sings Hank Williams-Country-759-US-Ex/NM US $26.29 Buy It Now 12h 27m
Larry Sparks(Vinyl LP)It's Never Too Late-June Appal-JA034-US-NM/EX- US $20.19 Buy It Now 12h 27m
SPARKS 7" VINYL AMATEUR HOUR / LOST AND FOUND ISLAND WIP 6203 US $5.66 Buy It Now 12h 47m
TIM SPARKS - AT THE REBBE'S TABLE - NEW CD US $10.36 Buy It Now 12h 58m
THE SHAMBLES reviving sparks early tracks demos CD JAPAN POWER POP MOD L@@K US $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 58m
RADIO STARS From a rabbit 7" vinyl record single sparks & johns children related US $1.60 [0 bids]
Pepe Deluxe - Disc II: Pipe Dreams Additional Sounds and Sparks (CD) US $11.33 Buy It Now 13h 6m
MELBOURNE BOUNCE 2 (NEW CD) Will Sparks, Joel Fletcher, SCNDL, Ministry Of Sound US $12.24 Buy It Now 13h 12m
SPARKS-Lot of 2 vintage magazine pictures US $4.85 Buy It Now 13h 32m
Agent Sparks - Alternative - RED ROVER CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 13h 50m
LARRY SPARKS - ALMOST HOME * [LARRY SPARKS] - NEW CD US $10.64 Buy It Now 13h 52m
ABSOLUTE DANCE-Sparks-20 FINGERS-Technotronic-DJ BOBO US $10.29 Buy It Now 13h 59m
THE WHO Accept No Substitute live CD Fillmore East 1969 Bog 011 Tommy sparks US $74.95 Buy It Now 14h 33m
Sparks-1980 magazine advert US $8.09 Buy It Now 14h 59m
TOMMY SPARKS- I'm A Rope (Rare Remix CD) US $0.96 [0 bids]
SPARKS indiscreet 1975 ilps-9345 island record album 12" US $0.69 [1 bids]
PAGAN REIGN Sparks Of Glory & Revival (CD)Pagam Metal US $13.60 Buy It Now 15h 23m
Fiction Plane - Sparks: Limited Edition [CD New] US $12.99 Buy It Now 15h 32m
SPARKS INTRODUCING LP 1977 COLUMBIA PROMO NM w/lyric !! US $35.00 Buy It Now 15h 37m
Sparks This Town Ain't Big Enough Framed Silver Disc Record Vinyl US $81.04 Buy It Now 15h 45m
IBIZA'99 - CD TWO , sneaker pimps, the sparks, blockster, underworld US $3.49 Buy It Now 15h 55m
Sparks dj 45 WONDER GIRL / (NO MORE) MR. NICE GUYS ~ BEARSVILLED VG++ to M- rock US $3.50 [0 bids]
Sparks Fly (Deluxe), New Music US $4.03 Buy It Now 15h 56m
Sparks - 6 Song Sampler from "BALLS" US $24.32 [0 bids]
MARTIN GORDON - HOW AM I DOING SO FAR? Inc Bonus Tracks (New & Sealed) CD Sparks US $4.85 Buy It Now 16h 21m
MARTIN GORDON - THE JOY OF MORE HOGWASH (New & Sealed) CD Sparks RadioStars US $4.85 Buy It Now 16h 27m
JORDIN SPARKS S.O.S. Let the Music play RARE 2009 PROMO Radio DJ CD Single sos US $19.99 Buy It Now 16h 28m
Sparks Amateur Hour 7" Single 2U 1U Pressing - VVG US $0.81 [0 bids]
Acid Jazz Vol.1 & 3 - 2 LP Set NEW melvin sparks funk inc eric kloss ivan jones US $19.99 Buy It Now 16h 46m
REGGAE 45 TREVOR SPARKS Bye Bye Happiness JAMMY$ US $9.95 Buy It Now 16h 49m
1979 LP Graham Parker Squeezing Out Sparks In Shrink Extremely Nice US $4.99 [0 bids]
SAHARA HOTNIGHTS Sparks Stand By Your Band - 060251797131 10trx 2009 CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 17h
CALIFORNIA U.S.A.-SPARKS-JAN & DEAN-HONDELLS-PROMO-2 LP-VINYL-FACTORY SEALED-NEW US $10.99 Buy It Now 17h
Sparks This Town Ain't Big Enough Framed Gold Disc Record Vinyl US $113.46 Buy It Now 17h 5m
Sparks Fly Miranda Cosgrove CD New still sealed US $6.49 Buy It Now 17h 13m
SPARKS 12" LA DOLCE VITA MY OTHER VOICE SUPER SOUND US $25.49 Buy It Now 17h 32m
Emits Showers of Sparks Sixteen Deluxe MUSIC CD US $7.87 Buy It Now 17h 36m
Springsteen - Sparks on the Ballroom -Live 08/23/75 Godfatherecords US $14.99 [1 bids]
Clinton Sparks and Eminem : Anger Management 3 CD (2006) US $15.00 Buy It Now 17h 53m
Mystic Chords of Memory S/T NEW Beachwood Sparks ships Fast not a promo US $3.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS Propaganda CD MINI LP US $15.49 Buy It Now 18h 26m
Unknown Artist Chris Sparks CD US $15.00 Buy It Now 18h 34m
16 CDs Vast Doves Hot Heat Agent Sparks Cliks Keane Calla Mono French Kicks US $100.00 Buy It Now 18h 46m
Tori Sparks - Scorpion In The Story [CD New] US $12.29 Buy It Now 18h 52m
Tori Sparks - Until Morning/Come Out Of The Dark [CD New] US $14.49 Buy It Now 18h 52m
Elektrikk Sparks 7" 45 HEAR PRIVATE SOUL FUNK Three Sixty Slam Dunk Your Phunk US $30.00 Buy It Now 18h 55m
MAYLAY SPARKS - GRAYMATTER [PA] - NEW CD US $11.39 Buy It Now 19h 4m
STATIC-City Limits/HARMONY SPARKS/Charlotte NC/Rock-Cd US $8.49 Buy It Now 19h 10m
GLEAMING SPIRES sealed Party aka Funk For Children EP/Posh Boy/SPARKS US $19.98 [0 bids]
GLEAMING SPIRES sealed Life Out On The Lawn EP/Posh Boy/SPARKS/45 GRAVE US $19.98 [0 bids]
Guitar SLIDE designed for best tone. Jed Sparks signiture guitar slide. US $3.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS Just Got Back From Heaven 12" Record SEALED 1989 US $17.50 Buy It Now 19h 24m
SPARKS & JANE WIEDLIN cool places 12" Record 1983 VG US $22.50 Buy It Now 19h 27m
Trevor Sparks "A little way Different" L.P. and Jacket Mint - US $9.99 [0 bids]
THROUGH THE SPARKS - ALAMALIBU - 2012-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
Sparks - Indiscreet NEW CD US $10.08 Buy It Now 19h 44m
1984 ALTERNATIVE SYNTH ROCK Sparks / Pulling Rabbits Out of A Hat NM/VG+ @ US $2.99 Buy It Now 19h 45m
(CN125) Pati Yang, Wires & Sparks EP - 2012 DJ CD US $4.85 Buy It Now 19h 51m
SPARKS~TRYOUTS FOR THE HUMAN RACE~1979 UK BLUE VINYL / PICTURE DISC 12" SINGLE US $11.33 [0 bids]
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Harry Sokal Groove - Where Sparks Start To Fly [CD New] US $24.59 Buy It Now 20h 36m
HERTZ / ROWDY SPARKS - Delicado - SWAY TECHNO 12" US $9.99 Buy It Now 20h 41m
Indiscreet Sparks Audio CD US $14.15 Buy It Now 20h 50m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins ratings distribution

SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars After a pretty average decade of the '80s where Sparks continued their on/off fling with dance music, to various levels of success, the band decided to take a break and to do a bunch of completely offbeat projects (consult Wikipedia for more details).

Fortunately Mael brothers came to their senses and returned to music after a 6 years hiatus with another landmarks of an album Gratuitous Sax And Senseless Violins! I guess that it's safe to say that a break from music really got their creativity going and even though many people might dismiss this album for being merely a record of its time, with inspiration clearly borrowed from popular synthpop acts like Pet Shop Boys and Erasure, this is easily one of the most entertaining albums of the '90s!

Just look at this hilarious album cover and tell me that you're not even a bit intrigued of listening to it? The album is literally filled with great singles like When Do I Get To Sing "My Way, (When I Kiss You) I Hear Charlie Parker Playing and Now That I Own The BBC. Luckily even the album tracks are equally as entertaining. Two tracks that always are high on my playlist are the completely hilarious I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car and the surprisingly energetic album closer Let's Go Surfing.

Sparks only released one proper new release in the '90s (not counting the remix album Plagiarism) and so they really made this one count! Gratuitous Sax And Senseless Violins is an excellent album and another career highlight for Sparks. Luckily this was only the beginning of a new stroke of genius for the duo.

***** star songs: Gratuitous Sax (0:31) When Do I Get To Sing 'My Way' (4:37) I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car (4:20) Let's Go Surfing (5:02)

**** star songs: When I Kiss You ( I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) (5:13) Frankly, Scarlett, I Don't Give A Damn (5:03) Now That I Own The BBC (4:58) Tsui Hark (4:31) The Ghost Of Liberace (4:15) Senseless Violins (0:50)

*** star songs: Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil (5:37)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#449187) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars It took a break of six years (during which the brothers were trying to make a Japanese comic strip into a movie) to make it happen, but the brothers finally made another good album. There are some reasons to poo-poo it, of course; the sound makes extensive use of contemporary techno sounds and beats, and on my first few listens I had trouble getting beyond the notion of the duo (it's pointless to call them a 'band' at this point; the brothers handled all of the music and the bulk of the production) as a couple of old men trying to grab onto a music scene that had passed them by (kinda like with David Bowie and Earthling a few years later). This isn't, by and large, my kind of music, and I almost certainly would never find my way to an album like this if it wasn't made by a group with whom I was already familiar. And yet, for whatever issues I might have with the underpinning production choices, I can't help but enjoy a good chunk of this album. It's not on the same level as Heaven (the easy comparison point for this album), but it's about as good as In Outer Space (a less obvious but equally valid comparison point).

It definitely helps that the album's first "real" song (I'm disregarding the silly jokes "Gratuitous Sax" and "Senseless Violins" which open and close the album, even if they're a delight and I wouldn't want to hear the album without them) is the group's best since the 70s. "When Do I Get to Sing 'My Way'?" is a MONSTER of a great pop anthem, with lyrics about the regret that comes from always doing things the way other people expect of you, great keyboard parts on top of the generic techno beat, and a set of glorious melodies. I actually heard this song long after I heard most great Sparks songs, largely because its reputation was so impeccable that I wanted to reserve one last potential treat from the band for as long as I reasonably could, and it's every bit as great as I'd have hoped at the time. If you like Sparks and haven't heard this song yet, please please please find it and listen to it.

It's very easy, after the great opening track, to frame this album as one great track plus a bunch of techno blah, but that's not really fair. What strikes me most about this album is that, once I get beyond the techno aspects, I feel like I can sense the band's actual personality for the first time in a while. The lyrics tend to be genuinely clever and goofy, there's a lot of fun had with layering Russell's vocals, there are some ridiculous (in a good way) faux-operatic moments, there's some variety in the keyboard sounds, and there are clever and unconventional twists in the chord sequences. In other words, I feel like I'm actually listening to a Sparks album. "I Thought I Told You to Wait in the Car" (a lot of monologue interspersed with singing the title in the most overly dramatic way imaginable) and "Tsui Hark" (a drone with sporadic speaking by film director Tsui Hark) largely pass me by (though I kinda like some of the angrier beats in the former), but the rest is delightful. It doesn't get quite the same praise as "When Do I Get to Sing 'My Way'?" does, and the idea of Russell Mael rapping is a little unsettling, but the chorus of "(When I Kiss You) I Hear Charlie Parker Playing" is glorious, and it helps me like the song almost as much as the more famous track that comes before it. I'm also quite the fan of "Now That I Own the BBC" (a lyrical throwback to the absurdity of "I Bought the Mississippi River" with a very playful tune) and "Let's Go Surfing" (with some terrible keyboard sounds playing beautiful keyboard parts while Russell sings lyrics that end up sounding majestic in context).

The other tracks are good enough. "Frankly, Scarlett, I Don't Give a Damn" and "Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil" are each mournful drones, the former featuring a nagging keyboard line echoed by Russell's "doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo" and the latter featuring an atmospheric-as-hell combination of Russell's normal voice and falsetto in the "chorus." Finally, "The Ghost of Liberace" is dinky silliness, but it's dinky silliness in a way that takes me back to the band's peak era, especially in the goofy chorus line of "The ghost of Liberace still has that mystique/If he were alive he'd now be at his peak" or in the "Sometimes he blinds the drivers with his shiny suits/They see that smile and they laugh at him, he don't shoot" couplet.

It would have been very easy for the band to just give up after their flameout in the 80s, but I'm glad they had the desire and material for a comeback. If you're not the kind who minds the kind of production approach they took, you might even love this album, but all Sparks fans should definitely hear it.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1164027) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 21, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins"