GRATUITOUS SAX & SENSELESS VIOLINS

Sparks Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins album cover

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1994

1. Gratuitous Sax (0:31)
2. When Do I Get To Sing "My Way" (4:37)
3. When I Kiss You ( I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) (5:13)
4. Frankly, Scarlett, I Donīt Give a Damn (5:03)
5. I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car (4:02)
6. Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil (5:37)
7. Now That I Own The BBC (4:58)
8. Tsui Hark (4:31)
9. The Ghost Of Liberace (4:15)
10. Letīs Go Surfing (5:02)
11. Senseless Violins (0:47)

Search SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins lyrics

Search SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins tabs

- Russell Mael / vocals
- Ron Mael / keyboards

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins Music

Profile: Ultimate CollectionProfile: Ultimate Collection
Rhino / Wea 1991
In Outer SpaceIn Outer Space
Repertoire 1999
NATE SPARKS - FROM WHERE I STAND NEW CD US $20.30 Buy It Now 31m 50s
SPARKS ~ Tryouts For The Human Race ~ 12" Single ORANGE VINYL US $17.11 Buy It Now 51m 10s
I'm a Gittar Player Melvin Sparks CD Cannonball Records 14.99 out of print US $14.99 Buy It Now 52m 35s
Telegenics 40A Music Videos VHS-Annabella,Pete Shelley,Sparks,Book Of Love+ US $14.95 [0 bids]
NEW - Mad Ave Movement by Omillio Sparks US $5.95 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Sparks : HELLO YOUNG LOVERS CD (2010) US $14.65 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Sparks - Monster of Love 12 tracks - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $15.98 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Travelin' Larry Sparks Country & Folk 1992 CD US $11.53 Buy It Now 2h 45m
SPARKS 7"Single -Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth US $11.40 Buy It Now 4h 8m
RANDY SPARKS these thousand hills 7" PS EX/VG hong kong US $11.40 Buy It Now 6h 18m
Randy Sparks LP R.S. & the B.P.M. Initial Album US $24.99 Buy It Now 6h 28m
SPARKS music that you can dance to 7" PS EX/EX uk wos US $11.40 Buy It Now 6h 28m
cd-album, Sparks - Music That You Can Dance To, The Best Of US $10.69 Buy It Now 7h 3m
Sparks on a String * by Orbiter (CD, May-2002, Loveless Records) US $9.95 Buy It Now 7h 5m
SPARKS UK 1995 CD Single WHEN I KISS YOU I Hear Charlie Parker Playing 26426.2 US $4.88 Buy It Now 7h 38m
DJ SPARKS Hang Dem High Alpha Mix Omega Mix classic Yaw 1993 ragga jungle US $35.00 Buy It Now 8h 13m
GRAHAM PARKER & THE RUMOUR- SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS -VINYL LP RECORD- 6360 168 -NM US $44.71 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks ?- S.O.S. (Let The Music Play) CD Promo 9 mixes US $16.29 Buy It Now 8h 21m
CONCRETE BLONDE-Bloodletting/VOWEL MOVEMENT/Pretty & And Twisted/DREAM 6/Sparks US $8.49 Buy It Now 8h 23m
Maybe You've Been Brainwashed [PA] by Clinton Sparks (CD, Mar-2005, Landspeed... US $6.50 Buy It Now 8h 54m
2010 ALLEN & GINTER AUTO RED INK: JORDIN SPARKS #10/10 AUTOGRAPH AMERICAN IDOL US $223.49 Buy It Now 9h 12m
Cover Drive - Bajan Style (CD 2012) "Twilight" "Sparks" "Lick Ya Down" "Explode" US $6.51 Buy It Now 9h 21m
Graham Parker & the Rumour Squeezing Out Sparks rare LP great condition US $10.99 [0 bids]
BELINDA CARLISLE @RARE LIVE CD (The Go-Go's,Germs,Sparks,Bangles,Susanna Hoffs) US $16.95 [2 bids]
EDITORS ALL SPARKS EU 2TR CD SKCD84 2006 THE DIPLOMAT EX CON STICKERED US $6.51 Buy It Now 10h 36m
Sparks-When I Kiss You (I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) 6 track Remix EP US $3.00 [0 bids]
MIRANDA COSGROVE CD - "SPARKS FLY" US $2.50 [0 bids]
Sparks(7" Vinyl P/S)Beat The Clock-Virgin-VS 270-UK-VG+/VG+ US $7.99 Buy It Now 10h 57m
LONESOME BLUEGRASS larry sparks BILL CLIFTON mac wiseman COUNTRY GENTLEMEN nu cd US $7.88 [0 bids]
12"-Maxi SPARKS - Modesty Plays / Angst In My Pants (1982) FRANCE PS US $19.99 Buy It Now 11h 7m
12"-Maxi SPARKS - When I Kiss You (1995) PROMO / BLACK REMIXES / GERMANY PRESS US $14.99 Buy It Now 11h 8m
SAD AMONG STRANGERS: Sparks Fly Upwards / A Better Vie US $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 10m
Sparks - Something For The Girl With Everything 45 7" Island WIP.6221 US $7.25 Buy It Now 11h 29m
SPARKS Just Got Back from Heaven CD new DENMARK US $15.92 Buy It Now 12h 8m
Sparks - Beat The Clock 7" Single (1979) US $6.18 Buy It Now 12h 9m
Sparks - Gratuitous Sax & Violins NEW CD US $14.55 Buy It Now 12h 9m
LARRY SPARKS/LONESOME RAMBLERS LP: Pine Tree PTSLP 500 "Ramblin' Guitar" US $9.00 [1 bids]
SPARKS : " FUNNY FACE " / " TIPS FOR TEENS " .RARE FR 7" PS EX/EX 1981 UNDERDOG US $29.99 [0 bids]
Emits Showers of Sparks [Import] [Audio CD] Sixteen Deluxe US $5.00 Buy It Now 12h 43m
SPARKS 12" WHEN DO I GET TO SING MY WAY? 4 Mixes US $7.99 Buy It Now 12h 45m
EMILY'S SASSY LIME Summer Vacation 7" EP 1994 X-MAS Beachwood Sparks OOP Rare M- US $6.66 [0 bids]
No. 1 Song in Heaven [Single] by Sparks (CD, Mar-1999, Oglio Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks CD 1999 ARCD8075 US $9.49 Buy It Now 13h 28m
Lasse Lindh - Sparks [CD New] US $23.37 Buy It Now 13h 32m
IMOGEN HEAP "Sparks" 2LP 2014 RCA/Megaphonic (Vinyl) New Sealed US $29.95 Buy It Now 13h 35m
Sahara Hotnights - Sparks [CD New] US $31.33 Buy It Now 13h 36m
Greg & Rebecca Sparks--Field of Your Soul CD1993 Christian Pop US $4.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS a woofer in tweeter's clothing BEARSVILLE 1972 Warner Bros US LP (NM) US $33.25 Buy It Now 14h
Sparks - New Music For Amnesiacs: Essential Collection [CD New] US $24.98 Buy It Now 14h 20m
SPARKS - NOW THAT I OWN THE BBC - CD 1 ONLY-CD US $0.99 [1 bids]
SPARKS - NATIONAL CRIME AWARENESS WEEK-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
JIM HUNTER Sparks In Flight: Live RARE SEALED CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 14h 37m
CD SPARKS/ Mael Bros 1968 Demo Lp - PARDON MY FRENCH US $10.99 Buy It Now 14h 41m
TREVOR SPARKS ~ Rosemarie / MICHAEL LEVY ~ Baby Be Mine ~ 12" Single US $19.56 Buy It Now 14h 41m
Blits by Various Artists LP Record 33 RPM Bow Wow Wow-Sparks-Polyrock 1981 US $2.99 [0 bids]
15h
sparks no 1 in heaven lp 1st press with ripped cd of lp near mint US $6.85 [4 bids]
sparks beat the clock 12 inch red vgc US $1.61 [0 bids]
BEACHWOOD SPARKS NEW CD US $16.64 Buy It Now 15h 31m
sparks the number one song in heaven 12 inch red 1st press near mint US $2.95 [2 bids]
sparks terminal jive lp 1st press near mint US $1.61 [1 bids]
SPARKS-NO.1 IN HEAVEN-JAPAN SHM-CD BONUS TRACK D95 US $22.99 Buy It Now 15h 49m
2 originals of sparks double lp 1st press excellent US $1.97 [2 bids]
sparks big beat lp 1st press with ripped cd of lp near mint US $1.61 [0 bids]
VYNAL RECORD SINGLE [ SPARKS ] US $1.63 [0 bids]
VYNAL RECORD SINGLE [ SPARKS ] 1979 US $1.63 [0 bids]
VYNAL RECORD SINGLE [ SPARKS ] 1975 US $1.63 [0 bids]
16h
THE SPARKS OLDIES on MERCURY ( VERY GOOD ) VINTAGE 45rpm RECORD US $2.95 [0 bids]
VYNAL RECORD SINGLE, SPARKS 1975 US $1.63 [0 bids]
Rare SPARKS (LP) "Whomp That Sucker" (RCA) .. original 1981 .. STILL SEALED! US $11.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS INDISCREET LP RON N RUSSELL MAEL US $16.00 Buy It Now 16h 36m
Graham Parker / Sparks - New - Never Played - Promo US $9.97 Buy It Now 16h 39m
Jordin Sparks, Mariah Carey, Simple Plan, Amy Winehouse - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $19.98 Buy It Now 16h 42m
Not So Merry [EP] [Digipak] by Agent Sparks (CD, Sep-2005, Immortal) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Sparks Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins CD Synthpop 1995 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks - SELF TITLED US $1.99 Buy It Now 18h 15m
Melvin Sparks ft Jimmy Scott 70s CROSSOVER SOUL FUNK 45 Ive Got to Have You / Ge US $49.98 Buy It Now 18h 16m
NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS Randy Sparks LP TODAY Fun JACK DAVIS Mad Magazine Cover 64 US $19.00 Buy It Now 18h 19m
TIM SPARKS ONE STRING LEADS TO ANOTHER (PROMOTION) CD US $17.94 Buy It Now 18h 19m
SPARKS,LARRY-The Old Church Yard CD NEW US $11.64 Buy It Now 18h 22m
SPARKS, and Jane Wiedlin, 7" 45 rpm, "Cool Places", The Go Go's, NM+, Ron Mael US $5.49 [0 bids]
Almost Home - Larry Sparks New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $18.54 Buy It Now 18h 40m
SEALED GRAHAM PARKER: Squeezing Out Sparks LP ARISTA RECORDS AB4223 US 1979  US $10.79 Buy It Now 18h 46m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $5.77 [0 bids]
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) US $4.90 [0 bids]
THE BEST OF SPARKS: MUSIC THAT YOU CAN DANCE TO CD Mint US $5.99 [0 bids]
(DQ654) Miracle, Tommy Sparks - DJ CD US $3.25 Buy It Now 18h 57m
(610Q) Mr Dan & Sparks, Body Slam - DJ CD US $4.88 Buy It Now 19h 3m
Johnny Rivers/Ricky Nelson/Randy Sparks - Same 196? USAStereo Orig. E/E US $5.99 [0 bids]
(CM323) Low Sparks, You Left Me - CD US $4.88 Buy It Now 19h 26m
ALL NIGHT RADIO 12" Beachwood Sparks SEALED! limited Spirit Stereo Frequency US $5.00 [0 bids]
20h
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $1.50 [0 bids]
The Dirtbombs Play Sparks 7" Vinyl Record non lp songs! detroit garage rock! NEW US $6.99 Buy It Now 20h 14m
TREVOR SPARKS * HOLD ON ** SHELLY- 12" US $12.99 Buy It Now 20h 26m
Sparks - Rosebud - '87 U.K. 12' - NEAR MINT! US $14.99 Buy It Now 21h 20m
SPARKS (RON RUSSELL MAEL) OGLIO SAMPLER RARE 10 TRACK PROMO CD 1998 IN SHRINK US $16.25 Buy It Now 21h 41m
TREVOR SPARKS & DADDY PECKA Lovers Rock ORIGINAL WITTY 12" LISTEN US $9.95 Buy It Now 21h 45m
Jordin Sparks with Exclusive Bonus Track .. Jordin Sparks .. Zomba Recording LLC US $7.99 Buy It Now 21h 59m
SPARKS_When I Kiss You I HEar Charlie_used CD single CD-S_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $8.94 Buy It Now 22h 6m
SPARKS Gratuituous Sax & Senseless Violins CD US $13.37 Buy It Now 22h 10m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins ratings distribution

SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars After a pretty average decade of the '80s where Sparks continued their on/off fling with dance music, to various levels of success, the band decided to take a break and to do a bunch of completely offbeat projects (consult Wikipedia for more details).

Fortunately Mael brothers came to their senses and returned to music after a 6 years hiatus with another landmarks of an album Gratuitous Sax And Senseless Violins! I guess that it's safe to say that a break from music really got their creativity going and even though many people might dismiss this album for being merely a record of its time, with inspiration clearly borrowed from popular synthpop acts like Pet Shop Boys and Erasure, this is easily one of the most entertaining albums of the '90s!

Just look at this hilarious album cover and tell me that you're not even a bit intrigued of listening to it? The album is literally filled with great singles like When Do I Get To Sing "My Way, (When I Kiss You) I Hear Charlie Parker Playing and Now That I Own The BBC. Luckily even the album tracks are equally as entertaining. Two tracks that always are high on my playlist are the completely hilarious I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car and the surprisingly energetic album closer Let's Go Surfing.

Sparks only released one proper new release in the '90s (not counting the remix album Plagiarism) and so they really made this one count! Gratuitous Sax And Senseless Violins is an excellent album and another career highlight for Sparks. Luckily this was only the beginning of a new stroke of genius for the duo.

***** star songs: Gratuitous Sax (0:31) When Do I Get To Sing 'My Way' (4:37) I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car (4:20) Let's Go Surfing (5:02)

**** star songs: When I Kiss You ( I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) (5:13) Frankly, Scarlett, I Don't Give A Damn (5:03) Now That I Own The BBC (4:58) Tsui Hark (4:31) The Ghost Of Liberace (4:15) Senseless Violins (0:50)

*** star songs: Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil (5:37)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#449187) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars It took a break of six years (during which the brothers were trying to make a Japanese comic strip into a movie) to make it happen, but the brothers finally made another good album. There are some reasons to poo-poo it, of course; the sound makes extensive use of contemporary techno sounds and beats, and on my first few listens I had trouble getting beyond the notion of the duo (it's pointless to call them a 'band' at this point; the brothers handled all of the music and the bulk of the production) as a couple of old men trying to grab onto a music scene that had passed them by (kinda like with David Bowie and Earthling a few years later). This isn't, by and large, my kind of music, and I almost certainly would never find my way to an album like this if it wasn't made by a group with whom I was already familiar. And yet, for whatever issues I might have with the underpinning production choices, I can't help but enjoy a good chunk of this album. It's not on the same level as Heaven (the easy comparison point for this album), but it's about as good as In Outer Space (a less obvious but equally valid comparison point).

It definitely helps that the album's first "real" song (I'm disregarding the silly jokes "Gratuitous Sax" and "Senseless Violins" which open and close the album, even if they're a delight and I wouldn't want to hear the album without them) is the group's best since the 70s. "When Do I Get to Sing 'My Way'?" is a MONSTER of a great pop anthem, with lyrics about the regret that comes from always doing things the way other people expect of you, great keyboard parts on top of the generic techno beat, and a set of glorious melodies. I actually heard this song long after I heard most great Sparks songs, largely because its reputation was so impeccable that I wanted to reserve one last potential treat from the band for as long as I reasonably could, and it's every bit as great as I'd have hoped at the time. If you like Sparks and haven't heard this song yet, please please please find it and listen to it.

It's very easy, after the great opening track, to frame this album as one great track plus a bunch of techno blah, but that's not really fair. What strikes me most about this album is that, once I get beyond the techno aspects, I feel like I can sense the band's actual personality for the first time in a while. The lyrics tend to be genuinely clever and goofy, there's a lot of fun had with layering Russell's vocals, there are some ridiculous (in a good way) faux-operatic moments, there's some variety in the keyboard sounds, and there are clever and unconventional twists in the chord sequences. In other words, I feel like I'm actually listening to a Sparks album. "I Thought I Told You to Wait in the Car" (a lot of monologue interspersed with singing the title in the most overly dramatic way imaginable) and "Tsui Hark" (a drone with sporadic speaking by film director Tsui Hark) largely pass me by (though I kinda like some of the angrier beats in the former), but the rest is delightful. It doesn't get quite the same praise as "When Do I Get to Sing 'My Way'?" does, and the idea of Russell Mael rapping is a little unsettling, but the chorus of "(When I Kiss You) I Hear Charlie Parker Playing" is glorious, and it helps me like the song almost as much as the more famous track that comes before it. I'm also quite the fan of "Now That I Own the BBC" (a lyrical throwback to the absurdity of "I Bought the Mississippi River" with a very playful tune) and "Let's Go Surfing" (with some terrible keyboard sounds playing beautiful keyboard parts while Russell sings lyrics that end up sounding majestic in context).

The other tracks are good enough. "Frankly, Scarlett, I Don't Give a Damn" and "Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil" are each mournful drones, the former featuring a nagging keyboard line echoed by Russell's "doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo" and the latter featuring an atmospheric-as-hell combination of Russell's normal voice and falsetto in the "chorus." Finally, "The Ghost of Liberace" is dinky silliness, but it's dinky silliness in a way that takes me back to the band's peak era, especially in the goofy chorus line of "The ghost of Liberace still has that mystique/If he were alive he'd now be at his peak" or in the "Sometimes he blinds the drivers with his shiny suits/They see that smile and they laugh at him, he don't shoot" couplet.

It would have been very easy for the band to just give up after their flameout in the 80s, but I'm glad they had the desire and material for a comeback. If you're not the kind who minds the kind of production approach they took, you might even love this album, but all Sparks fans should definitely hear it.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1164027) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 21, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins"