GRATUITOUS SAX & SENSELESS VIOLINS

Sparks Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins album cover

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1994

1. Gratuitous Sax (0:31)
2. When Do I Get To Sing "My Way" (4:37)
3. When I Kiss You ( I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) (5:13)
4. Frankly, Scarlett, I Donīt Give a Damn (5:03)
5. I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car (4:02)
6. Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil (5:37)
7. Now That I Own The BBC (4:58)
8. Tsui Hark (4:31)
9. The Ghost Of Liberace (4:15)
10. Letīs Go Surfing (5:02)
11. Senseless Violins (0:47)

Search SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins lyrics

Search SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins tabs

- Russell Mael / vocals
- Ron Mael / keyboards

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins Music

Repertoire 1999
Sparks / Woofer in Tweeter's ClothingSparks / Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing
Edsel Records UK 2013
The Tarnished Gold by Beachwood Sparks US $6.35 Buy It Now 1h 25m
SPARKS-Beat The Clock-7" Vinyl Single 45rpm Record-Virgin-VS 270-1979 US $2.24 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Country/Bluegrass 45 LARRY SPARKS Starday 957 WLP "Kentucky Chimes" Near Mint US $7.99 [0 bids]
Imogen Heap - Sparks / 2014 / 2 x CD Set NEW & SEALED Digipack US $21.73 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks Music CD Album 2008 - DISC ONLY in Plastic Sleeve US $6.39 Buy It Now 2h 42m
NM- THE SPARKS FAMILY BLUEGRASS GOSPEL LP - HEAVEN THE LAND OF THE FREE!! US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
SPARKS IN OUTER SPACE LP PROMO US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Kendo No. 10 (1996) : Soultans, Sparks, Bryan Ferry, Its Immaterial, La Bouche, US $2.04 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Sparks Street * - Love Huskies (CD 1998) US $4.50 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Sparks~Beat The Clock [Pic Sleeve; 7"@45] 1979 US $5.80 [0 bids]
Chrysler : Failures & Sparks CD (2010) US $2.83 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Killing Fields Of Ontario : The Shock Of The Sparks CD US $8.40 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Earle Mankey Real World Ep Sparks US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Sparks Modesty Plays, Angst In My Pants France 12" US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks NEW CD US $7.90 Buy It Now 3h 55m
LARRY SPARKS - KENTUCKY BANJO - NEW CD US $5.04 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Graham Parker "Squeezing Out Sparks" LP VERY NICE!! US $5.98 Buy It Now 4h 10m
IMOGEN HEAP - SPARKS - NEW VINYL LP ALBUM US $25.74 Buy It Now 4h 56m
IMOGEN HEAP - SPARKS - NEW CD ALBUM US $16.08 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Sparks - kimono My House - French CD Album US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 59m
IMOGEN HEAP - SPARKS (DELUXE EDITION) - NEW CD ALBUM US $22.52 Buy It Now 4h 59m
SPARKS - WHEN I KISS YOU - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE US $3.20 Buy It Now 5h 7m
Graham Parkier and The Rumour "Squeezing Out Sparks" LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 5h 15m
JIM WILSON LP Vinyl DANIEL LANOIS Sparks MOTHER SUPERIOR Emmylou Harris ROLLINS US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 22m
NEW MUSIC FOR 2006-BELLE & AND SEBASTIAN-Sparks/BUZZCOCKS/Mark Lanegan/UNCUT/Cd US $10.29 Buy It Now 5h 34m
Sparks-Kimono My House-CD Album-Framed CD Clock US $32.18 Buy It Now 5h 46m
7" Vinyl Picture Sleeve Sparks The Number One Song In Heaven US $2.90 [0 bids]
Through The Sparks - Lazarus Beach [CD New] US $11.95 Buy It Now 6h 3m
Danielle & Rochelle vs DJ Sparks 12" Amass 1992 US $24.13 Buy It Now 6h 43m
Awana Sparks Skipper handbook music CD US $2.00 [0 bids]
Sparks - Balls! [CD New] US $20.45 Buy It Now 7h
MOJO MAG Sept 2006 Dylan Syd Barrett Roger Waters Sparks CD Roots of Bob Dylan US $3.20 [0 bids]
Sparks : Terminal Jive CD (2002) US $11.24 Buy It Now 7h 4m
BEACHWOOD SPARKS Tarnished Gold LP 12 Track Double In Gatefold Sleeve With Origi US $28.98 Buy It Now 7h 29m
CLINTON SPARKS - MAYBE YOU BEEN BRAINWASHED [PA] - NEW CD US $19.42 Buy It Now 7h 30m
Squeezing Out Sparks by Graham Parker (Arista...1979) G+ LP US $3.00 Buy It Now 7h 31m
Sparks - No.1 In Heaven - Extended (NEW CD) US $18.09 Buy It Now 7h 55m
CLINTON SPARKS STARRING IN MY AWESOME MIXTAPE 3 - DJ CHUCKIE- NERVO-CD US $0.99 [1 bids]
SUB POP V/A = {CD} = THE SHINS BEACHWOOD SPARKS ZEN GUERRILLA = {PUNK/ROCK/ALT} US $4.81 [0 bids]
SPARKS THIS TOWN AIN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR THE BOTH OF US GERMAN 7" VINYL SINGLE EX US $3.20 [1 bids]
PROMO* Sparks - Beat The Clock *GIORGIO MORODER* Very Rare!! 1979 US $9.99 [0 bids]
SLEEP THIEVES - Sparks. rare UK 1 track CD +press (Buy 3 = Free P US $1.59 [0 bids]
MIRANDA COSGROVE - SPARKS FLY NEW CD US $12.33 Buy It Now 8h 55m
Minton Sparks/Sin Sick/2005 CD Album US $12.86 Buy It Now 9h 5m
SPARKS SPECTACULAR Exotic Creatures of Deep WORLD PREMIERE TICKET LONDON lp cd US $14.49 Buy It Now 9h 36m
THROUGH THE SPARKS - LAZARUS BEACH (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.35 Buy It Now 9h 41m
Sparks by Imogen Heap *New CD* US $9.46 Buy It Now 10h 11m
Sparks by Imogen Heap *New CD* US $11.06 Buy It Now 10h 11m
CORNERSTONE MIXTAPE - 46 - CLINTON SPARKS, EVIL DEE UNPLAYED MINT 3-CD US $20.00 Buy It Now 10h 30m
The Lovely Feathers - Fantasy Of The Lot - CD (SK2015 2009 Sparks) US $8.75 Buy It Now 10h 37m
Sparks Fly, Miranda Cosgrove, Acceptable US $3.98 Buy It Now 10h 51m
Sparks m- promo 7 Wonder Girl / Mr Nice Guy US $9.75 Buy It Now 10h 51m
HEAR IT COUNTRY Boudleaux Bryant and the Sparks Hickory US $10.80 Buy It Now 11h 16m
(CU245) Pati Yang, Wires And Sparks - 2012 DJ CD US $4.81 Buy It Now 11h 20m
SPARKS - I Predict 45 US store Atlantic US $7.50 Buy It Now 11h 23m
Sparks Sports Cool Places Atlantic89866 R VG PS EX (45-7561) US $6.49 Buy It Now 11h 28m
TRAFFIC ISRAELI UNIQUE COVER LOW SPARKS 1st ORANGE ISLAND UK Prog Rock US $80.00 Buy It Now 11h 36m
JIMMIE LUNCEFORD THE LAST SPARKS 1941 1944 HEAR IT US $9.00 Buy It Now 11h 42m
Woody Sparks - Mutility [CD New] US $15.98 Buy It Now 12h
YELLOW RED SPARKS Four Steps In Corsets 4tk US PROMO cd w/Live Track US $6.99 Buy It Now 12h 6m
(CG441) Christopher Rees, Sparks Flying - 2011 DJ CD US $4.81 Buy It Now 12h 7m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - BEAT THE CLOCK - SPARKS - VS270 US $11.25 Buy It Now 12h 11m
SPARKS Modesty Plays long/short French Picture sleeve US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 30m
(DE352) Sea Fruit, Looking for Sparks - 1999 DJ CD US $4.81 Buy It Now 12h 49m
SPARKS: Beat The Clock/ Tryouts For tHe Human Race Rare CANADIAN 45 1979 US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 7m
TOMMY SPARKS Album 2009 UK 10-track promo CD US $4.81 Buy It Now 13h 27m
PERE UBU Waiting For Mary 12" Ps, 3 Tracks Inc Wine Dark Sparks+Flat, Ubu 212 US $14.47 Buy It Now 13h 32m
THE TYDE Twice 2003 UK 11-track promo CD Beachwood Sparks US $6.42 Buy It Now 13h 39m
Various Artists Hidden Sparks CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 14h
GLEAMING SPIRES Walk on Well Lighted Streets PVC LP Advance Copy SPARKS New Wave US $15.00 Buy It Now 14h 7m
Sparks I Predict Club Mix 12 Inch Vinyl US $2.95 Buy It Now 14h 27m
SPARKS: Run Run Run (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 14h 36m
SPARKS: Run Run Run / Danny Boy (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 14h 36m
Lot of 20 80s Rock Cassette Tapes - Sparks, Journey, Cougar, Firm, ZZ Top, Fagen US $24.99 [0 bids]
LP - Eastbound Records - Melvin Sparks - Texas Twister US $99.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS - MUSIC THAT YOU CAN DANCE TO - 1986 PROMO - NM US $6.00 Buy It Now 15h 9m
Farmer Dave Scher Flash Forward To The Good Times LP New Mint Beachwood Sparks US $18.99 Buy It Now 15h 30m
PROMO Sparks No 1 in Heaven 1979 Stereo LP VG++ US $27.99 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $1.50 [0 bids]
TORI SPARKS - SCORPION IN THE SKY NEW CD US $17.35 Buy It Now 16h
TORI SPARKS - UNTIL MORNING / COME OUT OF THE DARK NEW CD US $20.94 Buy It Now 16h 11m
JORDIN SPARKS - An Original Sound Recording-Tattoo-Freeze Shy Boy-One Step At A US $2.65 Buy It Now 16h 15m
HOUSTON PERSON - Heavy Juice ~ MUSE 5260 {nm} w/Melvin Sparks, Jon Logan RARE US $24.99 Buy It Now 16h 26m
SPARKS - Kimono My House (SHM Mini-LP CD w/Obi) RARE!!!! US $34.99 [0 bids]
HALFNELSON (aka SPARKS) self titled LP WHITE LABEL PROMO ORIGINAL s/t US $35.00 [0 bids]
LOT OF 4 CD SUB POP PROMO-Beachwood Sparks,Hot Hot Heat,Vue,The Catheters US $1.99 [1 bids]
SPARKS In Outer Space 1st issue 1982 Japan WLPromo LP w/ Insert NM! US $54.95 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $6.99 [0 bids]
SAD AMONG STRANGERS "Sparks Fly Upwards" UK 7" 45 Vinyl Single 1980 US $5.00 Buy It Now 17h 53m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) Brand New Sealed CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 18h
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks Japan Edition CD B3 US $6.29 Buy It Now 18h 30m
LARRY SPARKS - ALMOST HOME NEW CD US $18.79 Buy It Now 18h 40m
SPARKS: KIMONO MY HOUSE 2006 REMASTERED CD INC 3 BONUS TRACKS / NEW US $7.65 Buy It Now 18h 53m
UNCUT PRESENTS NEW MUSIC FOR 2006 (BUZZCOCKS/SPARKS/KRISTOFFERSON)(Feb 2006) US $1.59 [0 bids]
Melvin Sparks Akilah White Label Promo Jazz Funk Breaks Idris Leon Spencer US $15.00 [0 bids]
SPARKS - HELLO YOUNG LOVERS NEW CD US $20.59 Buy It Now 19h 12m
MIRANDA COSGROVE - SPARKS FLY (IMPORT) NEW CD US $14.86 Buy It Now 20h 10m
SPARKS Pulling Rabbits LP ~ SEALED ORIGINAL 80's new wave vinyl record RARE US $14.95 Buy It Now 20h 16m
JORDIN SPARKS - BATTLEFIELD NEW CD US $10.55 Buy It Now 20h 21m
Oddball Folk Music Lp MEET THE BACK PORCH MAJORITY YELLOW Lbl EPIC Randy Sparks US $19.00 Buy It Now 20h 27m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins ratings distribution

SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars After a pretty average decade of the '80s where Sparks continued their on/off fling with dance music, to various levels of success, the band decided to take a break and to do a bunch of completely offbeat projects (consult Wikipedia for more details).

Fortunately Mael brothers came to their senses and returned to music after a 6 years hiatus with another landmarks of an album Gratuitous Sax And Senseless Violins! I guess that it's safe to say that a break from music really got their creativity going and even though many people might dismiss this album for being merely a record of its time, with inspiration clearly borrowed from popular synthpop acts like Pet Shop Boys and Erasure, this is easily one of the most entertaining albums of the '90s!

Just look at this hilarious album cover and tell me that you're not even a bit intrigued of listening to it? The album is literally filled with great singles like When Do I Get To Sing "My Way, (When I Kiss You) I Hear Charlie Parker Playing and Now That I Own The BBC. Luckily even the album tracks are equally as entertaining. Two tracks that always are high on my playlist are the completely hilarious I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car and the surprisingly energetic album closer Let's Go Surfing.

Sparks only released one proper new release in the '90s (not counting the remix album Plagiarism) and so they really made this one count! Gratuitous Sax And Senseless Violins is an excellent album and another career highlight for Sparks. Luckily this was only the beginning of a new stroke of genius for the duo.

***** star songs: Gratuitous Sax (0:31) When Do I Get To Sing 'My Way' (4:37) I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car (4:20) Let's Go Surfing (5:02)

**** star songs: When I Kiss You ( I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) (5:13) Frankly, Scarlett, I Don't Give A Damn (5:03) Now That I Own The BBC (4:58) Tsui Hark (4:31) The Ghost Of Liberace (4:15) Senseless Violins (0:50)

*** star songs: Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil (5:37)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#449187) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars It took a break of six years (during which the brothers were trying to make a Japanese comic strip into a movie) to make it happen, but the brothers finally made another good album. There are some reasons to poo-poo it, of course; the sound makes extensive use of contemporary techno sounds and beats, and on my first few listens I had trouble getting beyond the notion of the duo (it's pointless to call them a 'band' at this point; the brothers handled all of the music and the bulk of the production) as a couple of old men trying to grab onto a music scene that had passed them by (kinda like with David Bowie and Earthling a few years later). This isn't, by and large, my kind of music, and I almost certainly would never find my way to an album like this if it wasn't made by a group with whom I was already familiar. And yet, for whatever issues I might have with the underpinning production choices, I can't help but enjoy a good chunk of this album. It's not on the same level as Heaven (the easy comparison point for this album), but it's about as good as In Outer Space (a less obvious but equally valid comparison point).

It definitely helps that the album's first "real" song (I'm disregarding the silly jokes "Gratuitous Sax" and "Senseless Violins" which open and close the album, even if they're a delight and I wouldn't want to hear the album without them) is the group's best since the 70s. "When Do I Get to Sing 'My Way'?" is a MONSTER of a great pop anthem, with lyrics about the regret that comes from always doing things the way other people expect of you, great keyboard parts on top of the generic techno beat, and a set of glorious melodies. I actually heard this song long after I heard most great Sparks songs, largely because its reputation was so impeccable that I wanted to reserve one last potential treat from the band for as long as I reasonably could, and it's every bit as great as I'd have hoped at the time. If you like Sparks and haven't heard this song yet, please please please find it and listen to it.

It's very easy, after the great opening track, to frame this album as one great track plus a bunch of techno blah, but that's not really fair. What strikes me most about this album is that, once I get beyond the techno aspects, I feel like I can sense the band's actual personality for the first time in a while. The lyrics tend to be genuinely clever and goofy, there's a lot of fun had with layering Russell's vocals, there are some ridiculous (in a good way) faux-operatic moments, there's some variety in the keyboard sounds, and there are clever and unconventional twists in the chord sequences. In other words, I feel like I'm actually listening to a Sparks album. "I Thought I Told You to Wait in the Car" (a lot of monologue interspersed with singing the title in the most overly dramatic way imaginable) and "Tsui Hark" (a drone with sporadic speaking by film director Tsui Hark) largely pass me by (though I kinda like some of the angrier beats in the former), but the rest is delightful. It doesn't get quite the same praise as "When Do I Get to Sing 'My Way'?" does, and the idea of Russell Mael rapping is a little unsettling, but the chorus of "(When I Kiss You) I Hear Charlie Parker Playing" is glorious, and it helps me like the song almost as much as the more famous track that comes before it. I'm also quite the fan of "Now That I Own the BBC" (a lyrical throwback to the absurdity of "I Bought the Mississippi River" with a very playful tune) and "Let's Go Surfing" (with some terrible keyboard sounds playing beautiful keyboard parts while Russell sings lyrics that end up sounding majestic in context).

The other tracks are good enough. "Frankly, Scarlett, I Don't Give a Damn" and "Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil" are each mournful drones, the former featuring a nagging keyboard line echoed by Russell's "doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo" and the latter featuring an atmospheric-as-hell combination of Russell's normal voice and falsetto in the "chorus." Finally, "The Ghost of Liberace" is dinky silliness, but it's dinky silliness in a way that takes me back to the band's peak era, especially in the goofy chorus line of "The ghost of Liberace still has that mystique/If he were alive he'd now be at his peak" or in the "Sometimes he blinds the drivers with his shiny suits/They see that smile and they laugh at him, he don't shoot" couplet.

It would have been very easy for the band to just give up after their flameout in the 80s, but I'm glad they had the desire and material for a comeback. If you're not the kind who minds the kind of production approach they took, you might even love this album, but all Sparks fans should definitely hear it.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1164027) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 21, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins"