GRATUITOUS SAX & SENSELESS VIOLINS

Sparks Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins album cover

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1994

1. Gratuitous Sax (0:31)
2. When Do I Get To Sing "My Way" (4:37)
3. When I Kiss You ( I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) (5:13)
4. Frankly, Scarlett, I Don´t Give a Damn (5:03)
5. I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car (4:02)
6. Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil (5:37)
7. Now That I Own The BBC (4:58)
8. Tsui Hark (4:31)
9. The Ghost Of Liberace (4:15)
10. Let´s Go Surfing (5:02)
11. Senseless Violins (0:47)

Search SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins lyrics

Search SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins tabs

- Russell Mael / vocals
- Ron Mael / keyboards

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins Music

Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Fontana Island 2006
Profile: Ultimate CollectionProfile: Ultimate Collection
Rhino / Wea 1991
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks Music CD Album 2008 - DISC ONLY in Plastic Sleeve US $6.68 Buy It Now 36m 34s
NM- THE SPARKS FAMILY BLUEGRASS GOSPEL LP - HEAVEN THE LAND OF THE FREE!! US $12.99 Buy It Now 36m 39s
Through The Sparks - Lazarus Beach (CD New) US $8.62 Buy It Now 51m 27s
Sparks Street * - Love Huskies (CD 1998) US $4.50 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Earle Mankey Real World Ep Sparks US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Sparks Modesty Plays, Angst In My Pants France 12" US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks NEW CD US $8.26 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Graham Parker "Squeezing Out Sparks" LP VERY NICE!! US $5.98 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Sparks Fly Miranda Cosgrove CD New still sealed US $6.49 Buy It Now 2h 5m
20 song BLUEGRASS ORIGINALS V2 country gentlemen JD CROWE larry sparks NEW TAPE US $4.88 [0 bids]
Sparks - kimono My House - French CD Album US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Graham Parkier and The Rumour "Squeezing Out Sparks" LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 3h 8m
STATE PROPERTY SUN DON'T SHINE DO YOU WANT ME FT YOUNG CHRIS SPARKS OSCHINO 12" US $5.00 [0 bids]
NEW MUSIC FOR 2006-BELLE & AND SEBASTIAN-Sparks/BUZZCOCKS/Mark Lanegan/UNCUT/Cd US $10.29 Buy It Now 3h 28m
BEACHWOOD SPARKS MAKE THE COWBOY ROBOTS CRY SUB POP ! US $9.99 [0 bids]
THE LOTUS EATERS SOUL IN SPARKS ARISTA 45 IMPORT US $5.00 [0 bids]
Through The Sparks - Lazarus Beach [CD New] US $10.26 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Through The Sparks Lazarus Beach CD US $9.34 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Sparks - No.1 In Heaven - Extended (NEW CD) US $18.91 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Danielle & Rochelle vs DJ Sparks 12" Amass 1992 US $25.22 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Sparks - Exotic Creatures Of The Deep-Ltd [CD New] US $15.59 Buy It Now 4h 59m
Agent Sparks - Red Rover Audio CD Indie & Lo-Fi, Pop, Rock Immortal Very Good US $1.00 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Concrete Blonde Mexican Moon Cd Roxy Music Wool Sparks US $0.99 [0 bids]
Beachwood Sparks - Once Were DJ-ONLY advance CD SubPop US $9.97 [0 bids]
THROUGH THE SPARKS - LAZARUS BEACH (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $18.56 Buy It Now 6h 14m
NM 12"~OSCHINO~SPARKS~PEEDI CRAKK~Gangsta Fu#k~[x6 Mixes]~OG ROC-A-FELLA Issue~ US $2.99 [0 bids]
NM 12"~FRANKIE PAUL~TREVOR SPARKS~YELLOWBIRD~MR DOO~In And Out Love~Dub~Club Mix US $2.99 [0 bids]
Sparks EP - Near Perfect US $11.35 Buy It Now 6h 57m
Minton Sparks/Sin Sick/2005 CD Album US $13.44 Buy It Now 6h 59m
Profile: The Ultimate Sparks Collection by Sparks (CD, Apr-1991, 2 Discs,... US $30.00 Buy It Now 7h
SIXTEEN DELUXE emits showers of sparks LP Record SEALED 1998 US $24.98 Buy It Now 7h 18m
EDITORS / ALL SPARKS / 2006 7" P/S US $8.39 Buy It Now 7h 22m
HEAR Randy Sparks 45 Good Intentions VERVE 10133 popcorn teener rockabilly NM US $7.00 [0 bids]
Sparks CD Halfnelson Japan with OBI VICP 63731 US $18.99 [0 bids]
The Lovely Feathers - Fantasy Of The Lot - CD (SK2015 2009 Sparks) US $7.48 Buy It Now 8h 31m
SAM CHATMON & SPARKS "NOBODY BUT ME" KILLER R&B LISTEN! US $5.03 [0 bids]
Sparks - When I Kiss You (Special Collector's Edition 4 track CD single) US $8.39 Buy It Now 8h 43m
HEAR IT COUNTRY Boudleaux Bryant and the Sparks Hickory US $10.80 Buy It Now 9h 10m
(CU245) Pati Yang, Wires And Sparks - 2012 DJ CD US $5.03 Buy It Now 9h 14m
SPARKS - I Predict 45 US store Atlantic US $10.00 Buy It Now 9h 17m
Sparks Sports Cool Places Atlantic89866 R VG PS EX (45-7561) US $6.49 Buy It Now 9h 22m
The Chrysler - Failures And Sparks CD (2005) US $5.49 [0 bids]
TRAFFIC ISRAELI UNIQUE COVER LOW SPARKS 1st ORANGE ISLAND UK Prog Rock US $80.00 Buy It Now 9h 30m
SPARKS - NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON MOTHER EARTH RARE YUGO PRESS 7"PS US $24.99 Buy It Now 9h 30m
JIMMIE LUNCEFORD THE LAST SPARKS 1941 1944 HEAR IT US $9.00 Buy It Now 9h 35m
GRAHAM PARKER "NM WAX" Squeezing Out Sparks RJ-7584 LP w2074 US $5.99 [0 bids]
YELLOW RED SPARKS Four Steps In Corsets 4tk US PROMO cd w/Live Track US $6.99 Buy It Now 10h
(CG441) Christopher Rees, Sparks Flying - 2011 DJ CD US $5.03 Buy It Now 10h
VINYL 7" SINGLE - BEAT THE CLOCK - SPARKS - VS270 US $11.76 Buy It Now 10h 5m
SPARKS Modesty Plays long/short French Picture sleeve US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 24m
THE SPARKS A LOVE THAT'S TRUE LOVE PRESSURE RARE US $19.99 [0 bids]
(DE352) Sea Fruit, Looking for Sparks - 1999 DJ CD US $5.03 Buy It Now 10h 43m
SPARKS calm before the storm 2000 rare uk 3 - track CDS US $8.39 Buy It Now 10h 51m
SPARKS: Beat The Clock/ Tryouts For tHe Human Race Rare CANADIAN 45 1979 US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h
Minton Sparks - This Dress (NEW CD) US $19.75 Buy It Now 11h 15m
GRAHAM PARKER AND THE RUMOUR "NM WAX" Squeezing out Sparks AL5 8075 LP s7946 US $5.99 [0 bids]
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Apr-2010, Columbia (USA)) US $5.00 Buy It Now 11h 37m
Sparks ~ Over The Summer ~ US 45 Test Pressing/Promo? HEAR US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS get in the swing - profile 7" VINYL 45rpm GERMANY IMPORT near mint 1975 US $6.99 [0 bids]
*PROMO* Sparks - Over the Summer (mono-stereo), Columbia 3-10579 single 45 rpm US $3.75 [0 bids]
LARRY SPARKS AND LONESOME RAMBLERS The LAX-6004 LP u3489 US $5.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS*PROPAGANDA (REMASTERED WITH BONUS MATERIAL)*CD US $9.50 Buy It Now 11h 56m
GLEAMING SPIRES Walk on Well Lighted Streets PVC LP Advance Copy SPARKS New Wave US $15.00 Buy It Now 12h
Sparks Indiscreet Vinyl LP Orig Pressing David Bowie Queen T Rex Georgio Moroder US $4.99 [0 bids]
GRAHAM PARKER RECORD ALBUMS 12 LP LOT WIND HEAT STICK SPARKS UP GREY REAL STEADY US $129.99 Buy It Now 12h 6m
SPARKS: KIMONO MY HOUSE 2006 REMASTERED CD INC 3 BONUS TRACKS / NEW US $7.99 Buy It Now 12h 21m
Sparks I Predict Club Mix 12 Inch Vinyl US $4.75 Buy It Now 12h 21m
SPARKS: Run Run Run (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 12h 30m
SPARKS: Run Run Run / Danny Boy (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 12h 30m
Jimmie Lunceford "Last Sparks 1941-1944" Unopened Record Album MCA -1321 US $6.00 [0 bids]
Loud Earth, Sparks Audio CD US $9.29 Buy It Now 12h 59m
-Singin Sam & His Sparks- MESSIN-House of Lords DEE DEE 45 Record VG++  US $1.75 [0 bids]
13h
Sparks When I'm With You (PS) 7" Single US $8.39 Buy It Now 13h 7m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) US $3.99 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $3.99 [0 bids]
Farmer Dave Scher Flash Forward To The Good Times LP New Mint Beachwood Sparks US $18.99 Buy It Now 13h 24m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $6.99 [0 bids]
Sparks The Rescue - Eyes To The Sun (Used) US $5.99 Buy It Now 13h 51m
HOUSTON PERSON - Heavy Juice ~ MUSE 5260 {nm} w/Melvin Sparks, Jon Logan RARE US $24.99 Buy It Now 14h 20m
Miranda Cosgrove - Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Apr-2010, Columbia (USA) US $3.99 [0 bids]
A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing by Sparks (CD, Jan-2006, Wounded Bird) US $7.99 Buy It Now 15h 37m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) Brand New Sealed CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 15h 53m
"Now That I Own The BBC" by Sparks - 4 Track Import CD - Brand New US $12.99 Buy It Now 16h 16m
2fer! SPARKS Propaganda + Pulling Rabbits MINT CD RARE IMPORT 2 LPS ON 1 CD US $11.19 Buy It Now 16h 16m
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks Japan Edition CD B3 US $8.99 Buy It Now 16h 24m
Sparks, Clinton - Touch the Sky - CD [NSS] US $3.05 Buy It Now 17h 39m
Worst Thing I've Been Cursed With, Sparks the Rescue, New US $9.14 Buy It Now 18h 55m
Sparks - Exotic Creatures Of The Deep-Ltd CD US $31.12 Buy It Now 20h 42m
Through The Sparks - Lazarus Beach CD US $14.98 Buy It Now 20h 43m
RICK CUA Midnight Sun 1989 CD RARE OUTLAWS REBECCA SPARKS US $16.95 Buy It Now 20h 49m
SPARKS propaganda LP 11 track pink rim label design with inner in title stickere US $18.56 Buy It Now 21h 44m
Sparks - Exotic Creatures Of The Deep [CD New] US $12.63 Buy It Now 21h 44m
Sparks,Larry - Old Church Yard [CD New] US $9.75 Buy It Now 21h 51m
SPARKS GO GO - VARIETY - Japan CD - NEW J-POP US $18.99 Buy It Now 22h
CHARLIE EARLAND - Pleasant Afternoon LP Jazz Dance on Muse Melvin Sparks ORIG... US $4.67 [0 bids]
Taylor swift - Sparks fly CD single official!! US $75.00 [0 bids]
NICK (IMPORT) URATA - RUBY SPARKS (IMPORT) NEW CD US $30.48 Buy It Now 22h 53m
Battlefield Jordin Sparks CD US $13.49 Buy It Now 23h 16m
SPARKS 'TWO HANDS ONE MOUTH : LIVE IN EUROPE' 2 CD SET (2013) US $20.10 Buy It Now 23h 32m
MAKE UP YOUR MIND - Trevor Sparks & Bobo General (DB1616) US $5.03 Buy It Now 23h 40m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins ratings distribution

SPARKS Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars After a pretty average decade of the '80s where Sparks continued their on/off fling with dance music, to various levels of success, the band decided to take a break and to do a bunch of completely offbeat projects (consult Wikipedia for more details).

Fortunately Mael brothers came to their senses and returned to music after a 6 years hiatus with another landmarks of an album Gratuitous Sax And Senseless Violins! I guess that it's safe to say that a break from music really got their creativity going and even though many people might dismiss this album for being merely a record of its time, with inspiration clearly borrowed from popular synthpop acts like Pet Shop Boys and Erasure, this is easily one of the most entertaining albums of the '90s!

Just look at this hilarious album cover and tell me that you're not even a bit intrigued of listening to it? The album is literally filled with great singles like When Do I Get To Sing "My Way, (When I Kiss You) I Hear Charlie Parker Playing and Now That I Own The BBC. Luckily even the album tracks are equally as entertaining. Two tracks that always are high on my playlist are the completely hilarious I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car and the surprisingly energetic album closer Let's Go Surfing.

Sparks only released one proper new release in the '90s (not counting the remix album Plagiarism) and so they really made this one count! Gratuitous Sax And Senseless Violins is an excellent album and another career highlight for Sparks. Luckily this was only the beginning of a new stroke of genius for the duo.

***** star songs: Gratuitous Sax (0:31) When Do I Get To Sing 'My Way' (4:37) I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car (4:20) Let's Go Surfing (5:02)

**** star songs: When I Kiss You ( I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) (5:13) Frankly, Scarlett, I Don't Give A Damn (5:03) Now That I Own The BBC (4:58) Tsui Hark (4:31) The Ghost Of Liberace (4:15) Senseless Violins (0:50)

*** star songs: Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil (5:37)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#449187) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars It took a break of six years (during which the brothers were trying to make a Japanese comic strip into a movie) to make it happen, but the brothers finally made another good album. There are some reasons to poo-poo it, of course; the sound makes extensive use of contemporary techno sounds and beats, and on my first few listens I had trouble getting beyond the notion of the duo (it's pointless to call them a 'band' at this point; the brothers handled all of the music and the bulk of the production) as a couple of old men trying to grab onto a music scene that had passed them by (kinda like with David Bowie and Earthling a few years later). This isn't, by and large, my kind of music, and I almost certainly would never find my way to an album like this if it wasn't made by a group with whom I was already familiar. And yet, for whatever issues I might have with the underpinning production choices, I can't help but enjoy a good chunk of this album. It's not on the same level as Heaven (the easy comparison point for this album), but it's about as good as In Outer Space (a less obvious but equally valid comparison point).

It definitely helps that the album's first "real" song (I'm disregarding the silly jokes "Gratuitous Sax" and "Senseless Violins" which open and close the album, even if they're a delight and I wouldn't want to hear the album without them) is the group's best since the 70s. "When Do I Get to Sing 'My Way'?" is a MONSTER of a great pop anthem, with lyrics about the regret that comes from always doing things the way other people expect of you, great keyboard parts on top of the generic techno beat, and a set of glorious melodies. I actually heard this song long after I heard most great Sparks songs, largely because its reputation was so impeccable that I wanted to reserve one last potential treat from the band for as long as I reasonably could, and it's every bit as great as I'd have hoped at the time. If you like Sparks and haven't heard this song yet, please please please find it and listen to it.

It's very easy, after the great opening track, to frame this album as one great track plus a bunch of techno blah, but that's not really fair. What strikes me most about this album is that, once I get beyond the techno aspects, I feel like I can sense the band's actual personality for the first time in a while. The lyrics tend to be genuinely clever and goofy, there's a lot of fun had with layering Russell's vocals, there are some ridiculous (in a good way) faux-operatic moments, there's some variety in the keyboard sounds, and there are clever and unconventional twists in the chord sequences. In other words, I feel like I'm actually listening to a Sparks album. "I Thought I Told You to Wait in the Car" (a lot of monologue interspersed with singing the title in the most overly dramatic way imaginable) and "Tsui Hark" (a drone with sporadic speaking by film director Tsui Hark) largely pass me by (though I kinda like some of the angrier beats in the former), but the rest is delightful. It doesn't get quite the same praise as "When Do I Get to Sing 'My Way'?" does, and the idea of Russell Mael rapping is a little unsettling, but the chorus of "(When I Kiss You) I Hear Charlie Parker Playing" is glorious, and it helps me like the song almost as much as the more famous track that comes before it. I'm also quite the fan of "Now That I Own the BBC" (a lyrical throwback to the absurdity of "I Bought the Mississippi River" with a very playful tune) and "Let's Go Surfing" (with some terrible keyboard sounds playing beautiful keyboard parts while Russell sings lyrics that end up sounding majestic in context).

The other tracks are good enough. "Frankly, Scarlett, I Don't Give a Damn" and "Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil" are each mournful drones, the former featuring a nagging keyboard line echoed by Russell's "doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo" and the latter featuring an atmospheric-as-hell combination of Russell's normal voice and falsetto in the "chorus." Finally, "The Ghost of Liberace" is dinky silliness, but it's dinky silliness in a way that takes me back to the band's peak era, especially in the goofy chorus line of "The ghost of Liberace still has that mystique/If he were alive he'd now be at his peak" or in the "Sometimes he blinds the drivers with his shiny suits/They see that smile and they laugh at him, he don't shoot" couplet.

It would have been very easy for the band to just give up after their flameout in the 80s, but I'm glad they had the desire and material for a comeback. If you're not the kind who minds the kind of production approach they took, you might even love this album, but all Sparks fans should definitely hear it.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1164027) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 21, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins"