EXOTIC CREATURES OF THE DEEP

Studio Album, released in 2008

1. Intro (1:02)
2. Good Morning (3:53)
3. Strange Animal (5:45)
4. I Can?t Believe That You Would Fall For All The Crap In This Song (3:54)
5. Let The Monkey Drive (4:09)
6. Intro Reprise (0:24)
7. I?ve Never Been High (4:31)
8. (She Got Me) Pregnant (4:13)
9. Lighten Up, Morrissey (4:14)
10. This Is The Renaissance (3:45)
11. The Director Never Yelled "Cut" (3:54)
12. Photoshop (4:01)

- Dean Menta / guitars

Released: May 19, 2008
Recorded: Sparks Studios; Los Angeles, California
Label: Lil' Beethoven Records

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Exotic Creatures Of The Deep Music

Kimono My HouseKimono My House
Ume 2014
Vinyl$35.98
Best Of Sparks, The: Music That You Can Dance ToBest Of Sparks, The: Music That You Can Dance To
CURB 2011
BEACHWOOD SPARKS - TARNISHED GOLD NEW VINYL US $27.58 Buy It Now 1h 30m
SPARKS - MORODER - FUNNY FACE - rare Italy ps 7'' US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
SPARKS_Exotic Creatures Of The Deep_used CD_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $8.62 Buy It Now 1h 39m
GROVER Tiny Blue Sparks CD MOGWAI Mono UK NEW Sealed US $17.49 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Woodstar : Life Sparks CD (2004) US $5.25 Buy It Now 2h 15m
IMOGEN HEAP Sparks CD 2014 NEW & SEALED US $17.19 Buy It Now 2h 30m
SOUNDS OF THE SEVENTIES-3CD SET-1974-READERS DIGEST-10CC-SPARKS-ELO-SLADE-PILOT US $7.84 [0 bids]
Sparks - Beat The Clock - 7" Single - Vinyl Record US $1.55 [0 bids]
NEW Halfnelson/sparks / A Woofer In Tweeter's Clothing by Sparks CD (CD) US $20.73 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Sparks - New Music For Amnesiacs - The Essential Collection - LBRCD7 US $25.42 Buy It Now 3h 25m
SPARKS PULLING RABBITS OUT OF A HATL TEST PRESSING LP RECORD US $99.99 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Agent Sparks,NEW CD,Red Rover US $2.29 Buy It Now 3h 44m
JORDIN SPARKS - JORDIN SPARKS - BONUS TRACK (IMPORT) NEW CD US $51.00 Buy It Now 4h 31m
Beachwood Sparks - THE TARNISHED GOLD CD [2012] US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Chrysler,NEW CD,Failures & Sparks US $6.49 Buy It Now 4h 44m
LASSE LINDH - Sparks +1 Bonus Track CD $2.99 S/H US $13.93 Buy It Now 5h 18m
Ultimix 136 CD Ultimix Records Fergie,Natasha Bedingfield,Jordin Sparks US $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 24m
SPARKS THE NUMBER ONE SONG IN HEAVEN RON RUSSELL MAEL TIN TIN OUT US $3.12 [0 bids]
SPARKS DICK AROUND CD RON RUSSELL MAEL WATERPROOF CHANGE INTERVIEW + VIDEOS US $3.12 [0 bids]
SPARKS WHEN DO I GET TO SING MY WAY CD RON RUSSELL MAEL THE GRID BBC LC 7502 US $3.12 [0 bids]
SPARKS WHEN DO I GET TO SING MY WAY CD NATIONAL CRIME AWARENESS WEEK LC 7502 US $3.12 [0 bids]
SPARKS WHEN DO I GET TO SING MY WAY 6 TRACK CD RON RUSSELL MAEL THE GRID US $3.12 [0 bids]
SPARKS WHEN DO I GET TO SING MY WAY 5 TRACK CD RON RUSSELL MAEL MICROBOTS US $3.12 [0 bids]
SPARKS WHEN I KISS YOU CD 6 TRACK BEATMASTERS RED JERRY OLIVER LIEB HYSTERIE US $3.12 [0 bids]
SPARKS WHEN I KISS YOU CD 4 TRACK BEATMASTERS BERNARD BUTLER BBC ACOUSTIC US $3.12 [0 bids]
SPARKS WHEN I KISS YOU CD 5 TRACK RED JERRY OLIVER LIEB DUB US $3.12 [0 bids]
1984 SPARKS Pretending To Be Drunk 45 SINGLE ATLANTIC RECORDS PROMO US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 29m
SPARKS YOUNG GIRLS FRENCH 7" Single DiscNEW US $3.91 Buy It Now 5h 30m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $5.26 Buy It Now 5h 33m
MARTIN GORDON Joy Of More Hogwash CD Power Pop / Art Rock / Prog SPARKS 2005 US $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 38m
FRANKIE PAUL/TIGER "Reggae Christmas" orig '91 Profile LP (trevor sparks) US $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 38m
New: JORDIN SPARKS (American Idol) - Battlefield CD US $5.98 Buy It Now 5h 44m
SPARKS, Melvin - Akilah! - LP US $20.57 Buy It Now 5h 45m
CATHERINE WHEEL SPARKS are GONNA FLY UK 2000 PR0MO CD Single US $3.91 Buy It Now 5h 47m
SPARKS: Music That You Can Dance To/Fingerprints US $7.65 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Sparks-1979 magazine advert US $7.84 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Beachwood Sparks - BEACHWOOD SPARKS - SPCD503 US $12.91 Buy It Now 6h 40m
Beachwood Sparks - ONCE WE WERE TREES - SPCD545 US $12.67 Buy It Now 6h 41m
TREVOR SPARKS Wings of love 45 MUSIC MASTER Reggae c1182 US $12.00 [0 bids]
YELLOW RED SPARKS NEW CD US $16.04 Buy It Now 6h 46m
Minton Sparks - This Dress [CD New] US $19.54 Buy It Now 7h 20m
Jeff Sparks - Jazzy Christmas With Jeff Sparks [CD New] US $12.55 Buy It Now 7h 22m
SPARKS 2 UK 7" SINGLE SET GIRL FROM GERMANY BEARSVILLE NEVER TURN YOUR BACK PINK US $4.71 [0 bids]
Agent Sparks - Red Rover [CD New] US $7.85 Buy It Now 7h 32m
GRAHAM PARKER and The Rumour LP Squeezing Out Sparks -Vinyl in Shrink-Vinyl VG++ US $7.95 Buy It Now 7h 35m
SPARKS // JUST GOT BACK FROM HEAVEN // CD US $5.00 [0 bids]
GRAHAM PARKER-SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS-12" LP ALBUM-VERTIGO 1979-9102 030-EX+ US $5.48 [0 bids]
SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD ALBUM TO US 1977 PROMO LP (AEROSMITH SANTANA KANSAS SPARKS) US $5.01 Buy It Now 7h 53m
Sparks - Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat - Atlantic Records 80160-1 - Vinyl VG+ US $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 4m
ADRIAN CROWLEY - SEASON OF SPARKS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $19.21 Buy It Now 8h 6m
LARRY SPARKS - RAMBLIN BLUEGRASS NEW CD US $11.80 Buy It Now 8h 13m
Phyllis Taylor Sparks - Harp Horizons [CD New] US $10.83 Buy It Now 8h 14m
Phyllis Taylor Sparks - Heart Strings [CD New] US $8.66 Buy It Now 8h 14m
Melvin Sparks - I'm a Gittar Player NEW Sealed Cassette US $9.00 Buy It Now 8h 15m
Ultimix 142 CD Ultimix Records Jonas Brothers,Jordin Sparks,The Ting Tings,Bleu US $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 26m
Forgiven Now by Dolly Varden (CD, PROMO 2002, Flying Sparks) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Sparks Beat The Clock 12" LP NM Disco Vinyl Record US $11.95 Buy It Now 9h 3m
SPARKS CD GOLD DISC RECORD LP DISPLAY FREE P&P! US $141.30 Buy It Now 9h 13m
Soundtrack RAD vinyl LP NEW [SPARKS Beat Farmers John Farnham] US $34.95 Buy It Now 9h 14m
SPARKS funny face 7" WS EX/M uk why US $15.53 Buy It Now 9h 41m
TEEN 45 RPM - RANDY SPARKS on COLUMBIA RECORDS (PROMO) (BLUE VINYL) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Disney BEAUTY And The BEAST Brand NEW FACTORY SEALED Soundtrack CD Jordin Sparks US $10.95 Buy It Now 10h 27m
Adrian Crowley-Season Of The Sparks CD NEW US $12.14 Buy It Now 10h 43m
T/K/S ( TEEBONE / KIE / SPARKS) - FLY BI 12" INCH SINGLE VINYL RECORD GARAGE US $2.34 [0 bids]
THE FOUR BRIGHT SPARKS WHAT HAVE I DONE & BODY AND SOUL COLUMBIA CB26 US $3.91 Buy It Now 10h 51m
JORDIN SPARKS - PERMANENT MONDAY 1-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS208 # US $2.99 Buy It Now 10h 53m
Papa John DeFrancesco - Hip Cake Walk CD Melvin Sparks US $12.99 Buy It Now 11h 17m
SPARKS: In Outer Space LP (inner sleeve, small toc, promo stamp on back cover, US $12.00 Buy It Now 11h 22m
RAZZY BAILEY-SPARKS PLANTATION PLP 47 NEW SEALED LP US $10.78 Buy It Now 11h 27m
LARRY SPARKS and the LONESOME RAMBLERS Ramblin Bluegrass US $14.12 Buy It Now 11h 32m
The New Christy Ministrels Land of Giants Direction Randy Sparks CS 8987 VG /VG US $12.99 Buy It Now 11h 32m
ERNIE SPARKS all about fiddling STONEWAYstereo US $14.12 Buy It Now 11h 34m
'Scattered Sparks Of Sound' - Bloch, Bartok, Sousa;Jack Glatzer violin; MINT CD US $17.49 Buy It Now 11h 40m
SPARKS - 'COOL PLACES' & JANE WIEDLIN USA 45 RELEASE VG US $4.71 [0 bids]
GRAHAM PARKER Squeezing out sparks Vinyl LP VERTIGO 9102 030 1979 US $15.69 Buy It Now 12h 4m
Not So Merry [EP] [Digipak] [CD & DVD] by Agent Sparks US $4.99 Buy It Now 12h 11m
Graham Parker Squeezing Out Sparks Artista AB 4223 G+ / G+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 12h 36m
Sparks - Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth 7" Single 1974 US $12.56 Buy It Now 12h 43m
(EA705) United Ghosts, Sparks From A Cold Star - 2013 DJ CD US $4.69 Buy It Now 12h 53m
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks (CD) 13 Tracks - Ex Condition - Fast Postage US $6.26 Buy It Now 13h
(861X) The Wookies, Sparks - CD US $3.85 Buy It Now 13h
LARRY SPARKS: Lonesome Sounds Of LP (autograph, '74) Bluegrass US $20.00 Buy It Now 13h 5m
SPARKS - NEW MUSIC FOR AMNESIACS: ESSENTIAL COLLECTION NEW CD US $31.22 Buy It Now 13h 16m
(CX941) Pati Yang, Wires And Sparks - 2012 sealed DJ CD US $4.69 Buy It Now 13h 23m
SPARKS * GET CRAZY & GET CRAZY * 45 RPM * PROMO US $13.00 Buy It Now 13h 27m
Sparks- Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat- new/sealed cassette tape US $5.50 Buy It Now 13h 42m
SPARKS ~ LIVERPOOL EMPIRE OCTOBER 31 1975 ~ USED CONCERT GIG TICKET STUB US $54.96 Buy It Now 14h
(AZ960) Tommy Sparks, Miracle - DJ CD US $4.32 Buy It Now 14h 2m
SPARKS 12" When I Kiss You (I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) PROMO 4 TRK. MINT US $6.26 Buy It Now 14h 14m
SPARKS 12" Progress - Club Mix / In The Dark - Club Mix +1 USA PROMO US $7.84 Buy It Now 14h 14m
SPARKS 12" NOEL Dancing Is Dangerous (9:04) UNPLAYED Promo USA Dancing (9:42) US $18.83 Buy It Now 14h 14m
SPARKS 12" All You Ever Think About Is Sex / Dance USA PROMO 'New LIVE MIXES SKR US $15.69 Buy It Now 14h 14m
Randy Sparks Walkin' The Low Road/Jamaica Fisherman 45 RPM Verve Records VG+ US $8.95 Buy It Now 14h 25m
SPARKS 12" When Do I Get To Sing My Way UK DJ PROMO Unplayed US $9.41 Buy It Now 14h 34m
SPARKS GEMMA RAY 7" Gemma Ray Sings Sparks With Sparks + PROMO SHEET 500 Made! US $9.34 Buy It Now 14h 34m
SPARKS 12" Just Got back From Heaven 5 MIXES USA inc DUB ANGELS Mix, 6:47 in PS US $15.69 Buy It Now 14h 34m
SIXTEEN DELUXE - CD ADVANCE - EMITS SHOWERS OF SPARKS-CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 14h 41m
SPARKS IN OUTER SPACE LP - Atlantic 80005 (1983) US $5.99 [0 bids]
LASSE LINDH - SPARKS - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $26.99 Buy It Now 16h 42m
BEACHWOOD SPARKS: Desert Skies LP Rock & Pop US $18.00 Buy It Now 17h 11m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Exotic Creatures Of The Deep ratings distribution

SPARKS Exotic Creatures Of The Deep reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Unlike the two previous recordings, Exotic Creatures Of The Deep wasn't played as a part of a long tour. Instead, Sparks took a residence at the Carling Islington Academy where the band played each one of their previous twenty albums in chronological order and their entirety! This show streak, coined as Sparks Spectacular, was played from May 16 to June 11 and ended with the premier of Exotic Creatures Of The Deep.

I was unfortunately unable took partake in this truly historical event and only got around to hearing this new album somewhere in late July that same year. At first I really disliked this release because it sounded nothing like the previous two masterpieces. The melodies just weren't there and the whole album just felt flat due to the lack of the classic arrangements and the overall style seemed more like a digress of a sorts.

Fortunately, after a couple of spins, I actually started to get into the record more and more. There was definitely a change of style, but the magic was not yet lost and Sparks did in fact have a few real aces up their sleeves here. Still Exotic Creatures Of The Deep isn't even close to the two previous efforts but it does have some great moments like the first single Good Morning, This Is The Renaissance and the very appropriate song about Photoshop! Other compositions like I've Never Been High and (She Got Me) Pregnant are close to being great but lack the energy and passion that would have made them truly spectacular.

I'm still uncertain whether this album actually deserves more love from me, but it's this exact feeling of doubt that makes it a 3+ star recording in my album collection. Hopefully the next release will go back to the theatrics that made the previous releases as spectacular as they were!

***** star songs: Good Morning (3:53) This Is The Renaissance (3:45) Photoshop (4:01)

**** star songs: Intro (1:02) I Canīt Believe That You Would Fall For All The Crap In This Song (3:54) Intro Reprise (0:24) I've Never Been High (4:31) (She Got Me) Pregnant (4:13) The Director Never Yelled "Cut" (3:54) Likeable (6:13)

*** star songs: Strange Animal (5:45) Let The Monkey Drive (4:09) Lighten Up, Morrissey (4:14)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#451136) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 22, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars The band's marketing strategy for promoting the release of this album was pretty brilliant as far as these things go. Around the time the band formally released the album, the band played a three week series of concerts in which the band played its albums from start to finish (one album per night, in chronological order), with a B-side or rarity as the encore, commencing in the grand live unveiling of Exotic (which by this point had been out for about three weeks) on the 21st night. The Sparks Spectacular, as of 2014, is not available in any form other than scattered Youtube videos, and it's not clear that it will ever be released, but if they ever got around to cleaning these tracks up for release I'd absolutely buy it and listen to the whole thing (even the lesser albums).

As often happens with cases where the promotional campaign is particularly inspired, the actual product being promoted is a slight letdown, even if it's got a lot of good material and is quite good on the whole. The biggest change with this album from the previous ones is that the remaining Lil' Beethoven elements from Hello Young Lovers are virtually wiped away; there's a lot of repetition in the vocal parts, but this repetition is much more conventional than on LB or some of the parts of HYL, and the instrumentation, while still based primarily in Ron's keyboards, rarely attempts the faux- orchestral sounds of yore. For all of the various eccentricities of this album, this is definitely a very normal album in comparison to what they'd done lately; Russell spends most of his time doing actual singing of actual vocal melodies, while Ron uses a variety of keyboard sounds that mostly sound pretty great. This isn't a good thing or a bad thing in and of itself, but I do suspect that the slightly higher concentration than usual of clearly second-rate material has at least some correlation to the lack of a unifying gimmick for the album. Again, it's a really good album on the whole, but it's definitely a clear step down from LB and HYL.

The best demonstration of the issues this album often has is "Strange Animal," which has some decent ideas that feel more like they were superglued to each other than made into a coherent song, and it makes for a pretty problematic 5:45. There are also a couple of tracks tucked near the end that, if they don't outright suck, are knocking on the door pretty hard. "The Director Never Yelled Cut" prominently features one of the least pleasant loops of Ron keyboards this side of "Let's Get Funky," and the verse melody is so oddly mechanical that I'm not sure why they ultimately decided it was a good idea to include it on the album. "Photoshop" sounds like a potential classic for about 15 seconds, but the combination of a great piano part and a tense Russell delivery ends up largely being wasted on a song where the central hook is the dumb chorus of "Photoshop me out of your life." I get that Ron was trying to update his "odd takes on dealing with exes" for the late 2000s, but this really ends up sounding like a stale variation of better attempts at this kind of writing.

The rest of the album is really good, though, and the highs are high enough to mostly overcome the low points. The first half starts and ends with "Intro" and "Intro Reprise," respectively, and they're a delightful bit of Russell harmonizing with himself around the great phrase, "I don't care if you love me, just so you like me" and wordless "aaah" sounds. Immediately following "Intro" comes "Good Morning," an amusing up-tempo song with Russell falsetto-singing about waking up with a woman that's way out his league and not understanding how this is possible, while Ron lays down a fantastic keyboard pattern on (electric?) piano and synths. The lyrics are full of silly lines, such as "While I fix you breakfast/I hope it's just your laugh that is infectious" or "Hey, where you going? Does dasvedonya really mean good morning?" and the alternation between the main groove and the "Thank you God for something rare as this ..." parts is quite nice. I also really dig the false ending.

"I Can't Believe That You Would Fall For All the Crap in This Song" and "Let the Monkey Drive" each boast their own great keyboard grooves with great vocal parts on top, with the former boasting a slower, more intense one and the latter boasting a quicker, snappier one. "I Can't Believe ..." ends up using a bunch of different synth tones, and there's a surprising amount of complexity in the details of what seems like a pretty simple track on first listen. "Let the Monkey Drive" is a rare instance of breaking out an orchestral patch (tucking it into the background mostly, but it's there), but the main attraction of the song is definitely the groove in the parts where the monkey is driving the car, and you'd better believe that I find myself doing response vocals to Russell's parts if nobody else is around.

The second half does have the surprising low points mentioned earlier, but it also has a bunch of really delightful material. "I've Never Been High" is a majestic anthemic ballad from its first moments, but it also has a rather interesting part in the middle where the chorus fragments into Russell repeatedly singing "I've never ah ah/I've never ah ah" before returning to the main part of the song. Lyrically, it's more or less a successor to "When Do I Get to Sing My Way?" in that it reflects on experiences never had, and the fact that he's never been high is hardly a point of celebration. Then it's off to the land of silly misogyny with "She Got Me (Pregnant)," a pseudo-ethnic (in the same way as "Goofing Off") song that's either about (a) an alternate reality in which women impregnate men and the man feeling angry about being used, or (b) the woman manipulating the man into getting her pregnant ... and the man feeling angry about being used. And best of all there's "Lighten Up, Morrissey," a guitar-heavy rocker about a guy who has difficulties with women because he's not as awesome as Morrissey. "She won't hang out with me, no, she won't hang out/'Til my biting wit bites like his/She won't hang out with me, no she won't hang out/'Til my quick retort's quick as his" is typical fare for the song, and I like the fact that, in the chorus, some of the iterations of the title end in a question mark (as if he's afraid to offend Morrissey by making such a request).

"This is the Renaissance" kinda sounds like a HYL leftover, what with the combination of the bombastic drums and the guitar using a tone that was pretty commonplace on that album, and it's basically a chance for Ron to write silly lyrics about the benefits of the Renaissance in relation to the Middle Ages. Sample lyric: "Science is here/Nothing left to fear/Though the Earth is flat/It's not as flat as we feared/Music's gone wild/No Gregorian here/Contrapuntal music is the music that your parents fear." It's not really an album highlight, but it's definitely not a lowlight either. And finally, just when it seems that the album has taken a pretty steep dive after "Lighten Up, Morrissey," the album closer "Likeable" redeems things more than a bit. It really seems like Ron is writing out a sad desperate fantasy here, where he easily gets along with everybody around him and everybody wants to be his friend. The song is energetic but angry and mournful, with Russell frequently using rhythmic speaking in a HYL manner over the hyperactive keyboard and guitar parts, and except for the semi-cheerful carnival music in the "No-one ever wears a frown ..." parts, the song really gives the sense of somebody yelling "I'M LIKEABLE! I'M LIKEABLE!" into a mirror before going outside to deal with society. The return to the "I don't care if you like me, just so you love me ..." parts from the beginning of the album is a nice touch as well.

The album's a bit of a mixed bag on the whole, yes, but there's so much really good material that I feel like this grade is justified. Given that Ron was well over 60 at this point and Russell was nearly as old, this album has to be considered a significant success by any reasonable standard. If you liked the last two albums you'll probably like this one, but be aware that it doesn't really sound the same.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1197533) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Exotic Creatures Of The Deep"