EXOTIC CREATURES OF THE DEEP

Studio Album, released in 2008

1. Intro (1:02)
2. Good Morning (3:53)
3. Strange Animal (5:45)
4. I Can?t Believe That You Would Fall For All The Crap In This Song (3:54)
5. Let The Monkey Drive (4:09)
6. Intro Reprise (0:24)
7. I?ve Never Been High (4:31)
8. (She Got Me) Pregnant (4:13)
9. Lighten Up, Morrissey (4:14)
10. This Is The Renaissance (3:45)
11. The Director Never Yelled "Cut" (3:54)
12. Photoshop (4:01)

- Dean Menta / guitars

Released: May 19, 2008
Recorded: Sparks Studios; Los Angeles, California
Label: Lil' Beethoven Records

Thanks to matte for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Exotic Creatures Of The Deep Music

PlagiarismPlagiarism
Oglio Records 1998
Best ofBest of
Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2000
New Music for Amnesiacs: Essential CollectionNew Music for Amnesiacs: Essential Collection
Lil Beethoven UK 2013
Angst in My PantsAngst in My Pants
Repertoire 1999
Battlefield, Jordin Sparks, New US $4.00 Buy It Now 29m 40s
SPARKS ACHOO USA ISLAND PROMO RARE VINTAGE VINYL 7" RECORD GLAM ROCK RON MAEL US $26.99 Buy It Now 30m 53s
Sparks Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins CD Synthpop 1995 US $3.99 [0 bids]
46m 11s
Angst In My Pants - Sparks New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $23.22 Buy It Now 47m 6s
SPARKS - INTRODUCING SPARKS - LBRCDRUS US $19.11 Buy It Now 1h 4m
HUI / WORTHINGTON / CHRISTIE / KULESHA / MORISON - & BLUE SPARKS BURN NEW CD US $23.77 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Sparks - New Music For Amnesiacs - The Essential Collection - LBRCD7 US $27.44 Buy It Now 1h 10m
JORDIN SPARKS - JORDIN SPARKS - BONUS TRACK (IMPORT) NEW CD US $55.02 Buy It Now 1h 45m
BEACHWOOD SPARKS "Desert Skies" LP 2013, Alive (Vinyl) US $23.00 Buy It Now 2h 6m
I'm a Gittar Player by Melvin Sparks (CD, Jun-1997, Cannonball Records) Jazz US $0.99 [0 bids]
Beachwood Sparks - THE TARNISHED GOLD CD [2012] US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 22m
CARNIVAL ART blue food and black sparks 12" 4 trk ep featuring hammer and nails, US $8.27 Buy It Now 2h 29m
LASSE LINDH - Sparks +1 Bonus Track CD $2.99 S/H US $13.93 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Ultimix 136 CD Ultimix Records Fergie,Natasha Bedingfield,Jordin Sparks US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 9m
1984 SPARKS Pretending To Be Drunk 45 SINGLE ATLANTIC RECORDS PROMO US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $5.26 Buy It Now 3h 18m
MARTIN GORDON Joy Of More Hogwash CD Power Pop / Art Rock / Prog SPARKS 2005 US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 22m
SPARKS, Melvin - Akilah! - LP US $21.71 Buy It Now 3h 29m
SPARKS - When I'm With You 45 PS Germany 1980 Moroder EX/VG+ US $17.99 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Season Of The Sparks - Adrian Crowley New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $20.79 Buy It Now 3h 39m
YELLOW RED SPARKS NEW CD US $17.31 Buy It Now 3h 39m
SPARKS: Music That You Can Dance To/Fingerprints US $8.50 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Sparks-1979 magazine advert US $8.27 Buy It Now 4h 4m
THROUGH THE SPARKS - COIN TOSS (EP) NEW CD US $13.10 Buy It Now 4h 5m
ADRIAN CROWLEY - SEASON OF SPARKS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $20.72 Buy It Now 4h 37m
LARRY SPARKS - RAMBLIN BLUEGRASS NEW CD US $12.73 Buy It Now 4h 46m
THROUGH THE SPARKS - WORM MOON WANING (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $16.91 Buy It Now 4h 46m
THE SHAMBLES reviving sparks early tracks demos CD JAPAN POWER POP MOD L@@K US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 57m
Minton Sparks - This Dress [CD New] US $20.03 Buy It Now 5h 4m
SPARKS ORIGINAL PROPAGANDA ALBUM 1974 ! US $9.99 [0 bids]
Jeff Sparks - Jazzy Christmas With Jeff Sparks [CD New] US $13.21 Buy It Now 5h 7m
SPARKS Big Beat JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +6 US $24.99 [0 bids]
Agent Sparks - Red Rover [CD New] US $8.24 Buy It Now 5h 17m
SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD ALBUM TO US 1977 PROMO LP (AEROSMITH SANTANA KANSAS SPARKS) US $5.29 Buy It Now 5h 38m
CD TORI SPARKS UNDER THIS YELLOW SUN NEW FACTORY SEALED CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 46m
SPARKS UK 1995 CD Single WHEN I KISS YOU I Hear Charlie Parker Playing 26426.2 US $4.95 Buy It Now 6h 2m
Ultimix 142 CD Ultimix Records Jonas Brothers,Jordin Sparks,The Ting Tings,Bleu US $5.00 Buy It Now 6h 10m
SPARKS - TWO HANDS ONE MOUTH LIVE IN EUROPE NEW CD US $28.74 Buy It Now 6h 27m
SPARKS Propaganda CD MINI LP US $15.49 Buy It Now 6h 35m
SPARKS - NEW MUSIC FOR AMNESIACS: ESSENTIAL COLLECTION NEW CD US $33.68 Buy It Now 6h 44m
Sparks of Seven Album No. 1 CD US $7.38 Buy It Now 6h 56m
SPARKS CD GOLD DISC RECORD LP DISPLAY FREE P&P! US $149.12 Buy It Now 6h 58m
JET MARKET - SPARKS AGAINST DARKNESS JAPAN TOUR BONUS CD RARE [CD NEW] US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS funny face 7" WS EX/M uk why US $11.58 Buy It Now 7h 26m
SPARKS so important 12" 3 trk extremely important mix b/w single version and jus US $8.27 Buy It Now 7h 31m
SPARKS when i kiss you 12" 4 trk promo red jerry mix, when i dub you mix b/w bea US $8.27 Buy It Now 7h 31m
SPARKS when i kiss you 12" 3 trk radio edit promo (74321267691) european logic 1 US $8.27 Buy It Now 7h 32m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Trevor Sparks "A little way Different" L.P. and Jacket Mint - US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS - PROPAGANDA [BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $10.15 Buy It Now 8h 14m
RARE FIND, THE NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS, VINTAGE VINYL LP CL 1941 Randy Sparks VG+ US $4.95 [0 bids]
JORDIN SPARKS - PERMANENT MONDAY 1-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS208 # US $2.99 Buy It Now 8h 37m
Papa John DeFrancesco - Hip Cake Walk CD Melvin Sparks US $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 2m
EDITORS ALL SPARKS CD RARE Includes 3 NON-LP Tracks * NEW * VIDEO SEALED US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 6m
RAZZY BAILEY-SPARKS PLANTATION PLP 47 NEW SEALED LP US $11.98 Buy It Now 9h 12m
LARRY SPARKS and the LONESOME RAMBLERS Ramblin Bluegrass US $14.90 Buy It Now 9h 16m
The New Christy Ministrels Land of Giants Direction Randy Sparks CS 8987 VG /VG US $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 17m
ERNIE SPARKS all about fiddling STONEWAYstereo US $14.90 Buy It Now 9h 19m
Rock Promo 45 TOM SPARKS Callin' Out to You on A&M (Pro US $5.00 Buy It Now 9h 19m
Mael Intuition / Best Of Sparks 1974-76 Sparks Audio CD US $14.47 Buy It Now 9h 38m
GRAHAM PARKER Squeezing out sparks Vinyl LP VERTIGO 9102 030 1979 US $16.55 Buy It Now 9h 49m
Sparks- Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat- new/sealed cassette tape US $5.50 Buy It Now 9h 50m
Not So Merry [EP] [Digipak] [CD & DVD] by Agent Sparks US $4.99 Buy It Now 9h 55m
BLUEGRASS / COUNTRY 45 LARRY SPARKS PINE TREE 104 LOVING SWEETHEART NEAR MINT US $7.99 [0 bids]
Squeezing Out Sparks Graham Parker Audio CD US $14.47 Buy It Now 10h 8m
Sparks Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat LP Atlantic 80160-1 1984 promo copy US $5.00 [0 bids]
Kentucky Banjo by Larry Sparks (CD, Sep-2008, Gusto Records) US $10.00 Buy It Now 10h 18m
Graham Parker Squeezing Out Sparks Artista AB 4223 G+ / G+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 21m
LASSE LINDH - SPARKS - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $29.11 Buy It Now 10h 25m
Sparks - Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth 7" Single 1974 US $16.57 Buy It Now 10h 28m
(EA705) United Ghosts, Sparks From A Cold Star - 2013 DJ CD US $4.95 Buy It Now 10h 38m
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks (CD) 13 Tracks - Ex Condition - Fast Postage US $6.61 Buy It Now 10h 46m
(861X) The Wookies, Sparks - CD US $4.06 Buy It Now 10h 46m
LARRY SPARKS: Lonesome Sounds Of LP (autograph, '74) Bluegrass US $20.00 Buy It Now 10h 50m
(CX941) Pati Yang, Wires And Sparks - 2012 sealed DJ CD US $4.95 Buy It Now 11h 8m
Awana Sparks Skipper handbook music CD US $2.00 [0 bids]
SPARKS - 12" Single - Young Girls/Just Because You Love Me US $11.58 Buy It Now 11h 13m
SAHARA HOTNIGHTS - SPARKS NEW CD US $38.26 Buy It Now 11h 25m
SPARKS ~ LIVERPOOL EMPIRE OCTOBER 31 1975 ~ USED CONCERT GIG TICKET STUB US $58.00 Buy It Now 11h 46m
(AZ960) Tommy Sparks, Miracle - DJ CD US $4.56 Buy It Now 11h 47m
Make the Cowboy Robots Cry [EP] by Beachwood Sparks (CD, May-2002, Sub Pop (USA) US $1.99 [0 bids]
TUPOLEV - TOWERS OF SPARKS NEW CD US $29.11 Buy It Now 11h 55m
Randy Sparks Walkin' The Low Road/Jamaica Fisherman 45 RPM Verve Records VG+ US $8.95 Buy It Now 12h 10m
SP20 FESTIVAL sub pop POSTER todd barry erics trip fleet foxes beachwood sparks US $7.99 Buy It Now 12h 54m
NICK URATA - RUBY SPARKS NEW CD US $20.72 Buy It Now 13h 19m
TAYLOR SWIFT Sparks Fly CD SINGLE One Track BRAND NEW Numbered Limited RARE US $199.99 Buy It Now 13h 34m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $3.00 Buy It Now 14h 4m
ALIEN PARADISE COMPILATED BY DJ SPARKS CD NEW SS K384 US $5.99 [0 bids]
THE NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS- LAND OF GIANTS -DIRECTED BY RANDY SPARKS US $24.99 [0 bids]
BEACHWOOD SPARKS: Desert Skies LP Rock & Pop US $18.00 Buy It Now 14h 56m
Autographed Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Jan-2000, Columbia (USA)) US $25.00 [0 bids]
BEACHWOOD SPARKS "The Tarnished Gold" LP 2012, Sub Pop (Vinyl) US $24.95 Buy It Now 15h 23m
THROUGH THE SPARKS - LAZARUS BEACH - CD, 2007 US $5.66 Buy It Now 15h 30m
RARE REGGAE 12" 45 - TREVOR SPARKS - RIDING FOR A FALL - SPIDER MAN SPM 204 US $19.99 Buy It Now 15h 32m
SPARKS - BEAT THE CLOCK - Y2K U.S. PROMO 12" US $5.98 Buy It Now 16h
Sparks - The No. 1 Song In Heaven - '98 U.S. PROMO 12" US $5.98 Buy It Now 16h 19m
Lot 3 singles 7" LIO banana split jacno sparks 80's Banana Split Teenager rare!! US $65.00 Buy It Now 16h 25m
Sparks - Just Got Back From Heaven - U.S. 12" VINYL US $5.98 Buy It Now 16h 36m
NATE SPARKS - FROM WHERE I STAND NEW CD US $21.11 Buy It Now 16h 55m
RANDY SPARKS Lot of (2) LP's VERVE MGM labels (#9429) 60's COUNTRY Western US $15.00 Buy It Now 16h 58m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Exotic Creatures Of The Deep ratings distribution

SPARKS Exotic Creatures Of The Deep reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Unlike the two previous recordings, Exotic Creatures Of The Deep wasn't played as a part of a long tour. Instead, Sparks took a residence at the Carling Islington Academy where the band played each one of their previous twenty albums in chronological order and their entirety! This show streak, coined as Sparks Spectacular, was played from May 16 to June 11 and ended with the premier of Exotic Creatures Of The Deep.

I was unfortunately unable took partake in this truly historical event and only got around to hearing this new album somewhere in late July that same year. At first I really disliked this release because it sounded nothing like the previous two masterpieces. The melodies just weren't there and the whole album just felt flat due to the lack of the classic arrangements and the overall style seemed more like a digress of a sorts.

Fortunately, after a couple of spins, I actually started to get into the record more and more. There was definitely a change of style, but the magic was not yet lost and Sparks did in fact have a few real aces up their sleeves here. Still Exotic Creatures Of The Deep isn't even close to the two previous efforts but it does have some great moments like the first single Good Morning, This Is The Renaissance and the very appropriate song about Photoshop! Other compositions like I've Never Been High and (She Got Me) Pregnant are close to being great but lack the energy and passion that would have made them truly spectacular.

I'm still uncertain whether this album actually deserves more love from me, but it's this exact feeling of doubt that makes it a 3+ star recording in my album collection. Hopefully the next release will go back to the theatrics that made the previous releases as spectacular as they were!

***** star songs: Good Morning (3:53) This Is The Renaissance (3:45) Photoshop (4:01)

**** star songs: Intro (1:02) I Canīt Believe That You Would Fall For All The Crap In This Song (3:54) Intro Reprise (0:24) I've Never Been High (4:31) (She Got Me) Pregnant (4:13) The Director Never Yelled "Cut" (3:54) Likeable (6:13)

*** star songs: Strange Animal (5:45) Let The Monkey Drive (4:09) Lighten Up, Morrissey (4:14)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#451136) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 22, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars The band's marketing strategy for promoting the release of this album was pretty brilliant as far as these things go. Around the time the band formally released the album, the band played a three week series of concerts in which the band played its albums from start to finish (one album per night, in chronological order), with a B-side or rarity as the encore, commencing in the grand live unveiling of Exotic (which by this point had been out for about three weeks) on the 21st night. The Sparks Spectacular, as of 2014, is not available in any form other than scattered Youtube videos, and it's not clear that it will ever be released, but if they ever got around to cleaning these tracks up for release I'd absolutely buy it and listen to the whole thing (even the lesser albums).

As often happens with cases where the promotional campaign is particularly inspired, the actual product being promoted is a slight letdown, even if it's got a lot of good material and is quite good on the whole. The biggest change with this album from the previous ones is that the remaining Lil' Beethoven elements from Hello Young Lovers are virtually wiped away; there's a lot of repetition in the vocal parts, but this repetition is much more conventional than on LB or some of the parts of HYL, and the instrumentation, while still based primarily in Ron's keyboards, rarely attempts the faux- orchestral sounds of yore. For all of the various eccentricities of this album, this is definitely a very normal album in comparison to what they'd done lately; Russell spends most of his time doing actual singing of actual vocal melodies, while Ron uses a variety of keyboard sounds that mostly sound pretty great. This isn't a good thing or a bad thing in and of itself, but I do suspect that the slightly higher concentration than usual of clearly second-rate material has at least some correlation to the lack of a unifying gimmick for the album. Again, it's a really good album on the whole, but it's definitely a clear step down from LB and HYL.

The best demonstration of the issues this album often has is "Strange Animal," which has some decent ideas that feel more like they were superglued to each other than made into a coherent song, and it makes for a pretty problematic 5:45. There are also a couple of tracks tucked near the end that, if they don't outright suck, are knocking on the door pretty hard. "The Director Never Yelled Cut" prominently features one of the least pleasant loops of Ron keyboards this side of "Let's Get Funky," and the verse melody is so oddly mechanical that I'm not sure why they ultimately decided it was a good idea to include it on the album. "Photoshop" sounds like a potential classic for about 15 seconds, but the combination of a great piano part and a tense Russell delivery ends up largely being wasted on a song where the central hook is the dumb chorus of "Photoshop me out of your life." I get that Ron was trying to update his "odd takes on dealing with exes" for the late 2000s, but this really ends up sounding like a stale variation of better attempts at this kind of writing.

The rest of the album is really good, though, and the highs are high enough to mostly overcome the low points. The first half starts and ends with "Intro" and "Intro Reprise," respectively, and they're a delightful bit of Russell harmonizing with himself around the great phrase, "I don't care if you love me, just so you like me" and wordless "aaah" sounds. Immediately following "Intro" comes "Good Morning," an amusing up-tempo song with Russell falsetto-singing about waking up with a woman that's way out his league and not understanding how this is possible, while Ron lays down a fantastic keyboard pattern on (electric?) piano and synths. The lyrics are full of silly lines, such as "While I fix you breakfast/I hope it's just your laugh that is infectious" or "Hey, where you going? Does dasvedonya really mean good morning?" and the alternation between the main groove and the "Thank you God for something rare as this ..." parts is quite nice. I also really dig the false ending.

"I Can't Believe That You Would Fall For All the Crap in This Song" and "Let the Monkey Drive" each boast their own great keyboard grooves with great vocal parts on top, with the former boasting a slower, more intense one and the latter boasting a quicker, snappier one. "I Can't Believe ..." ends up using a bunch of different synth tones, and there's a surprising amount of complexity in the details of what seems like a pretty simple track on first listen. "Let the Monkey Drive" is a rare instance of breaking out an orchestral patch (tucking it into the background mostly, but it's there), but the main attraction of the song is definitely the groove in the parts where the monkey is driving the car, and you'd better believe that I find myself doing response vocals to Russell's parts if nobody else is around.

The second half does have the surprising low points mentioned earlier, but it also has a bunch of really delightful material. "I've Never Been High" is a majestic anthemic ballad from its first moments, but it also has a rather interesting part in the middle where the chorus fragments into Russell repeatedly singing "I've never ah ah/I've never ah ah" before returning to the main part of the song. Lyrically, it's more or less a successor to "When Do I Get to Sing My Way?" in that it reflects on experiences never had, and the fact that he's never been high is hardly a point of celebration. Then it's off to the land of silly misogyny with "She Got Me (Pregnant)," a pseudo-ethnic (in the same way as "Goofing Off") song that's either about (a) an alternate reality in which women impregnate men and the man feeling angry about being used, or (b) the woman manipulating the man into getting her pregnant ... and the man feeling angry about being used. And best of all there's "Lighten Up, Morrissey," a guitar-heavy rocker about a guy who has difficulties with women because he's not as awesome as Morrissey. "She won't hang out with me, no, she won't hang out/'Til my biting wit bites like his/She won't hang out with me, no she won't hang out/'Til my quick retort's quick as his" is typical fare for the song, and I like the fact that, in the chorus, some of the iterations of the title end in a question mark (as if he's afraid to offend Morrissey by making such a request).

"This is the Renaissance" kinda sounds like a HYL leftover, what with the combination of the bombastic drums and the guitar using a tone that was pretty commonplace on that album, and it's basically a chance for Ron to write silly lyrics about the benefits of the Renaissance in relation to the Middle Ages. Sample lyric: "Science is here/Nothing left to fear/Though the Earth is flat/It's not as flat as we feared/Music's gone wild/No Gregorian here/Contrapuntal music is the music that your parents fear." It's not really an album highlight, but it's definitely not a lowlight either. And finally, just when it seems that the album has taken a pretty steep dive after "Lighten Up, Morrissey," the album closer "Likeable" redeems things more than a bit. It really seems like Ron is writing out a sad desperate fantasy here, where he easily gets along with everybody around him and everybody wants to be his friend. The song is energetic but angry and mournful, with Russell frequently using rhythmic speaking in a HYL manner over the hyperactive keyboard and guitar parts, and except for the semi-cheerful carnival music in the "No-one ever wears a frown ..." parts, the song really gives the sense of somebody yelling "I'M LIKEABLE! I'M LIKEABLE!" into a mirror before going outside to deal with society. The return to the "I don't care if you like me, just so you love me ..." parts from the beginning of the album is a nice touch as well.

The album's a bit of a mixed bag on the whole, yes, but there's so much really good material that I feel like this grade is justified. Given that Ron was well over 60 at this point and Russell was nearly as old, this album has to be considered a significant success by any reasonable standard. If you liked the last two albums you'll probably like this one, but be aware that it doesn't really sound the same.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1197533) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Exotic Creatures Of The Deep"