TUNDRA

Studio Album, released in 2011

1. Swan Dive (8:12)
2. Tundra (6:37)
3. Upstream (4:57)
4. Vanishing Point (6:09)
5. Watershed (7:47)

- Kido Natsuki / guitar

Magaibutsu Limited DQC-612(CD)
All songs composed by Yoshida Tatsuya
Recorded at Rinky Dink Ogikubo

Thanks to kazuhiro for the addition
and to SaltyJon for the last updates

KOREKYOJIN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KOREKYOJIN Tundra Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
IsotopeIsotope
Tzadik 2005
KorekyojinKorekyojin
Tzadik 1999

More places to buy KOREKYOJIN music online Buy KOREKYOJIN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KOREKYOJIN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KOREKYOJIN Tundra ratings distribution

KOREKYOJIN Tundra reviews

Review by Anthony H.
3 stars Korekyojinn: Tundra [2011]

Rating: 6/10

Tundra is my first Korekyojinn album. Considering my previous experiences with Yoshida Tatsuya's music (mostly Koenjihyakkei), I was not expecting this album to sound anything like this. There's no super-charged avant-garde zeuhl anywhere here. Rather, the music presented here is instrumental heavy rock with strong math rock and technical metal influences. In fact, I detect very few avant-garde tendencies on this release. This doesn't mean that the music is simple, though, despite the rather simple band setup of guitar, bass, and drums. The song structures are incredibly complex, and the musicianship is as top-notch here as on anything Tatsuya is involved in; the instrumental interplay is absolutely seamless. However, I was still a bit disappointed by this release. Koenjihyakkei and Ruins aren't particularly known for their ability to create deep emotional passion within the listener, but their music is consistently engaging and almost undeniably interesting; in other words, it's easy to get involved in the music. The same cannot be said of this album. It's technically precise, but has very little soul. The indescribable insanity that I've grown to love from Koenji is sadly absent here. Charming zaniness and compelling composition both seem to have been sacrificed in favor of instrumental precision.

"Swan Dive" opens the album with a heavy riff and intense drumming. The song moves in many equally energetic directions, with an excellent bass solo being the highlight. This is generally one of the best tracks on the album. The title track is quite heavy, with unorthodox riffing and intense percussive blasts. I don't particularly enjoy this song. "Upstream" is lighter in tone; the guitar work actually reminds me of The Fall of Troy (!). The bass playing is quite impressive here. Acoustic guitar opens up "Vanishing Point" in an uncharacteristic manner. Heavy Frippian guitar work dominates this track. This is another one of the stronger songs here. The latter portion of "Watershed" is quite excellent, but the rest of the track isn't particularly special. "Xenon" begins with a much slower tempo than the rest of the album. The main riff is excellent, and the ambient section near the end is a nice change of pace. "Yellow Jacket" juxtaposes dissonant guitar patterns with a funky bass line. "Zebra Crossing" is a fun and short surf-rock track. The closing track "Abandoned" closes with an excellent guitar solo that ends the album on a positive note.

I don't want to say anything too negative about Tundra. The musicianship really is phenomenal; every band member is given a chance to shine in true "power trio" format. However, I can't consider this album excellent. Too much of it is inorganic. There's also a lack of variety, with many songs failing to stand out in a concrete manner. Although it's obvious that Yoshi and company were having a lot of fun while recording this, the listener doesn't get to share in that fun like they can with a Koenjihyakkei record. Regardless, Tatsyua die-hards will still eat it up, as will anyone with a passion for flawless musicianship and instrumental ferocity.

Send comments to Anthony H. (BETA) | Report this review (#449474) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Review by Negoba
4 stars Organic, Heavy, Quirky Modern Fusion

Korekyojinn is a trio from Japan led by drummer Yoshida Tatsyuda of the Zeuhl / Avant group Ruins. Joined with guitarist Kido Natsuki from Bondage Fruit and bassist Nasuno Mitsuru, this project sounds nothing like Zeuhl and instead is a very fresh take on jazz fusion. All of the instruments are active and each has a raw tonality that makes the recording have a very live feel. Though precise, the music grooves hard, and clearly very little has been done to doctor the performances for the album. The band that this most closely reminds me of is LA fusion trio Ohm:, though Korekyojinn is both more composed and more raw.

All of the pieces are carefully composed and deliberate which I confirmed by checking out video of the band. Though the songs may have evolved out of jams, the central melodic lines were identical. Korekyojinn is able to retain a very spontaneous vibe and energy, almost to the point of feel spastic. At the same the music on Tundra never feels out of control or random. In fact, it isn't particularly Avant-Garde to my ear, except in a few very specific spots. Instead, it's just a trio of very gifted musicians getting together to make some great instrumental music.

There are a few quirky surprises. The acoustic, jazzy guitar free time intro to "Vanishing Point" gives us a nice respite before dropping into a bass-heavy prog that brings to mind Anglagard. "Xenon" does dabble a bit more in the noise realm, much like a drugged nightmare. "Abandoned" actually beings in an almost loung-y vein, before ending the album closer to the band's core sound.

I am a relative newcomer to the Japanese scene so the strange genre choices maybe make sense for more experienced fans. Certainly, this album has some similarities with my only Bondage Fruit record. It is, however nothing like Koenjihyakkei's Magma-on-speed sound. However you choose to categorize the niche of this band and its parents, there is clearly both great skill and emotion in the performance of this hybrid.

For lovers of slightly experimental, slightly raw, slightly proggy fusion, Tundra might be just what you're looking for. 4/5

Send comments to Negoba (BETA) | Report this review (#462215) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Review by DamoXt7942
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Moderator / Psych Team
4 stars I've found out!

Exactly hard-edged sound battles among the three perfect avantgarde rock giants (Kyojin in Japanese), and as a result, a musical republic commune created by them ... This album "Tundra", released in 2011, is a brilliant progressive rock crystal for us, and at the same time we can notice via this album that their live performance should be quite fascinating.

What a splendid instrumental fight indeed. A killa drummer (and the frontman of this ensemble) Tatsuya YOSHIDA, whilst playing massive attack with drumming, might be upstaged by other two rock talents I'm always afraid, and it's sometimes correct. A cool, intelligent (mentioned by himself :D) guitarist Natsuki KIDO explodes his guitar weapon loudly, strictly, and especially comfortably. A funky, but quiet bassist Mitsuru NASUNO lets his bass growl deeply, sharply like a wild beast. And Tatsuya, the basis of KOREKYOJINN, goes ahead and ahead aggressively via playing drums with his magical sticks in his machinery hands.

Their gig I've experienced was gorgeous indeed. Can express that as a rock energy explosion. Easily I've got sure that even upon stage they can play as "precisely" as upon their recordings, and this album could notify me the fact. Loud electricity, swift thousand hands, complex but smooth guitar merry-go-round, or gentle acoustic waves ... Natsuki shoots various touches. Mitsuru sometimes hides behind other two, and sometimes stands upon the frontline like Chris Squire, as kaleidoscopic appearances. Tatsuya struggles for unifying all of characteristic artists through his killa drumming, and at last can navigate them apparently ... what a vanguard.

In conclusion, this album has notified me that they be a super combo with perfect technique and strong intention to beat the audience out via their aggressive, avantgarde inner / outer space. Their albums can only be an entrance into the giant world named KOREKYOJINN. Woohoo, keep your ear sharpened ... you can realize that one and one and one is not three but thirty or more.

Send comments to DamoXt7942 (BETA) | Report this review (#779243) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2012

Post a review of KOREKYOJIN "Tundra"