BREATHING

2. Fading Out (3:36)
3. Shells (5:58)
4. In That Room (4:56)
5. Andrum (1:25)
6. No More Rollercoaster (4:15)
7. Breathing (5:56)
8. Sm?rtan (4:30)
9. Surrounded (4:48)
10. Ploing, My Friend (0:56)
11. Precious (4:25)

- Ulf "Rockis" Ivarsson / bass

CD: Glassville Records 2011, released 2/21/11

Thanks to rulfo1234 for the addition
and to rushfan4 for the last updates

PAATOS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PAATOS Breathing Music

TimelossTimeloss
Inside Out U.S. 2005
5(IMPORT)5(IMPORT)
DIW Records (JAPAN)
Sensors (Japanese Papersleeve)Sensors (Japanese Papersleeve)
Arcangelo
PAATOS - KALLOCAIN NEW CD US $21.41 Buy It Now 1 day
Paatos - Kallocain CD US $18.53 Buy It Now 1 day
Paatos - Timeloss US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Paatos - V NEW CD US $16.23 Buy It Now 4 days
PAATOS Silence Of Another Kind (Inside Out Music 050 1762) CD US $19.28 Buy It Now 6 days
PAATOS: Kallocain NM CD Prog INSIDE OUT Germany US $9.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Silence of Another Kind by Paatos (CD, May-2006, Inside Out Music) US $7.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Paatos - Breathing [CD New] US $20.84 Buy It Now 8 days
PAATOS - BREATHING NEW CD US $23.93 Buy It Now 8 days
MANDRAKE PROJECT - A MIRACULOUS CONTAINER (for fans of Porcupine Tree; Paatos) US $5.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Paatos - Kallocain [CD New] US $16.35 Buy It Now 8 days
Paatos - Breathing CD US $20.85 Buy It Now 12 days
PAATOS - Sensors 180 Gr MINT LP Vinyl Mellotronen US $44.90 Buy It Now 13 days
PAATOS - V - GVR009 US $19.44 Buy It Now 15 days
PAATOS Silence of Another Kind CD DIGIPACK Near-MINT US $20.00 Buy It Now 15 days
Paatos - V (NEW CD) US $19.68 Buy It Now 15 days
PAATOS - BREATHING [PAATOS] - NEW CD US $19.31 Buy It Now 16 days
~ PAATOS - V ~ MUSIC CD US $7.49 Buy It Now 16 days
PAATOS - "Silence Of Another Kind" CD 1st GERMAN PROMO + BIO - Inside Out Music US $23.88 Buy It Now 16 days
Paatos - V [CD New] US $20.95 Buy It Now 18 days
PAATOS - KALLOCAIN - NEW CD US $13.37 Buy It Now 19 days
PAATOS - V NEW CD US $23.93 Buy It Now 19 days
PAATOS: Kallocain NM CD Prog INSIDE OUT Germany. SHIP TO USA 8$ US $7.00 Buy It Now 21 days
Landberk ?- Indian Summer SEALED 1996 France Musea CD Morte Macabre Paatos Prog US $63.95 Buy It Now 22 days
PAATOS CD KALLOCAIN ADVANCE PROMO US $3.00 Buy It Now 22 days
PAATOS - SILENCE OF ANOTHER KIND - DIGIPACK 2006.CD (USA SHIPPING 8$) US $20.00 Buy It Now 26 days
Kallocain - Paatos New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $19.75 Buy It Now 26 days
PAATOS - SILENCE OF ANOTHER KIND - NEW CD US $6.30 Buy It Now 28 days
PAATOS - KALLOCAIN [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD BOXSET US $22.24 Buy It Now 28 days
PAATOS - TIMELOSS - NEW CD US $27.49 Buy It Now 28 days
Paatos - Timeloss (CD, Feb-2005, Inside Out Music) GERMANY METAL RULES US $19.79 Buy It Now 28 days
Paatos - V NEW CD US $19.24 Buy It Now 28 days
Paatos - V CD US $20.96 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy PAATOS music online Buy PAATOS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PAATOS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PAATOS Breathing ratings distribution

PAATOS Breathing reviews

Review by Finnforest
4 stars Hard to define, easy to embrace

"did you know how precious life would feel when time's your enemy" -from "Precious"

That line hit me hard at work today as I thought about my Dad, gone three months now and still hanging in my mind constantly. Precious indeed are those moments and the smile you won't see again but in photos. Sorry to start with that but it was my experience with this cool album. Paatos is a difficult-to-classify crossover prog band from Stockholm, whose origins date to the late 1990s. "Breathing" is their fourth full length studio album and their most accomplished to date. The band who describes their own sound as "cinematic rock" have a new line-up and sound clearly inspired and refreshed. This is one of those groups for whom a straw poll of twenty people may well yield twenty unique descriptions of just what they are: crossover prog, pop, alternative, post-rock, gothic, electronica, art rock, or various combinations thereof and some I didn't think of! I'm sure they've heard it all and probably laugh over some of them. I guess I'll go with "ethereal art-rock" on the "Breathing" album.

I feel "Breathing" is quite a leap over the "Kallocain" album I also have. The songs have less general drift, they are focused, smart, and not really a lagger in the bunch. The rhythm section is amazing, with new bassist Ulf Ivarsson more than able to handle the very busy style of drummer of Ricard Nettermalm, whom I can best describe as playing like the guy in Oceansize. Atop these guys who sometimes elevate the rhythm to lead you have guitarist Peter Nylander who plays with such command of atmosphere, and reminds me of the late great Robert Buck in his ability to alternate jangly, whispy, sparse chords/notes with more than sufficient power when necessary. Finally the vocals of Petronella Nettermalm have never been lovelier, often drenched in harmonies that are so full and luscious. (For those who've not heard her voice, she can sound like Julianne Regan, Siouxsie, Bjork, or Hope Sandoval at various moments.) Some tracks sport nice embellishments like strings or brass. Some feature that chilly Scandinavian keyboard with slightly dark guitar vibe while the vocal mood runs more hopeful for contrast. The combined result is this sonic hug that lifts you with interesting melodies, mostly upbeat and energetic, accessible songs, and some lyrics that were quite moving.

"Breathing" is stunning work for which Paatos should be very proud. Occasionally sporting haunting and laid-back "icy" feel, but also powerfully engaging, the album's carefully constructed songs harvest some of the best traits of progressive rock and creative art-pop music in one tight package.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#488087) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 21, 2011

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars It's amazing that 5 years have passed already since the previous Paatos album. And despite the passing of years the band still operates in relative obscurity, being stuck with a Prog tag that does them more bad then good IMO. If someone would just promote them as an indie band they might easily reach the larger crowds following bands such as Elbow. Certainly with a strong album such as this 'Breathing' as their ambassador.

Paatos seems to have fully focused on the songwriting this time, and next from the debut, this is the Paatos album that doesn't have any lows or lulls. What I'm probably missing a bit is a real high. I can't immediately spot tracks here with an awesomeness to match older classics such as 'Sensor', 'Hypnotique', 'Tea' or 'Gasoline'. The musicianship is brilliant, exactly as I like it, very accomplished and with brilliant arrangements, intelligent virtuosity and touches of jazzyness, but without any unneeded guitar solos or keyboard runs. Petronella's voice has never sounded better, putting a lot of variation and heart in her performance.

Overall a strong ambassador for modern prog/rock/indie that deserves a larger audience.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#508944) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 25, 2011

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Breathing' - Paatos (7/10)

The term 'progressive rock' has come to mean a wide variety of different sounds and styles over the course of the past forty years. To some, Swedish band Paatos may sound like an indie act more than anything, but this art rock group should be of some interest to anyone who is looking for a more modern sound in prog. This is a female-fronted band whose music is highly song-based, and melodic. Although this band has been around for a while, they have always treaded on the underground, but hearing this latest album 'Breathing' as my first introduction to them, they appear to be one of those groups that doesn't get nearly as much respect as they deserve. 'Breathing' is a charming collection of songs that are instantly likeable; a great record to put on for any time a progger is looking for something a little less challenging to enjoy.

The songwriting of Paatos on 'Breathing' is very melodic and concise, with no moments where the instruments jump out of the song structure and do their own thing. Everything here is meant to contribute to the song, and back up the lovely vocals of Petronella Nettermalm, whose charismatic and sultry delivery bears a resemblance to the voice of Bjork. These songs are quite beautiful and have an optimism to their sound that I find really refreshing in prog. Beyond the songwriting alone though, these songs are backed up and driven by great instrumental arrangements, although things are kept pretty conservative when it comes to musicianship. The album has a somewhat Floydian approach in the sense that it is quite mellow and dreamy, especially in the flange of the guitars.

The highlight here are the vocals of Nettermalm, whose voice is distinctive enough to distinguish Paatos apart from other acts. The instrumentation is not particularly inventive or dazzling, but it is enough to make these songs sing. I did not expect to hear anything challenging or life-changing with Paatos' 'Breathing', and truth be told; there's nothing here that seeks to shake boundaries and leave a big mark on prog history. What we experience here however are well-crafted songs, and a kind presentation of something that much prog seems to lose in translation; the art of melody.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#520794) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 12, 2011

Review by lazland
3 stars This new 2011 release from Swedish band Paatos is my first taste of the band, but will not be my last, for this is a pleasing album. If, like me, you have a particular taste for rich female vocals, a well produced work, and a clever ear for mood swings, then this album might well be for you.

It starts of with a mighty statement of intent on Gone, a very clever pop/rock track which also creates a wonderful wall of sound. I particularly enjoy Ivarsson's bass work, and there is definitely enough clever musicianship abound in this track to keep most prog fans happy.

Fading Out follows, which is a single length track which brings to mind, for me, Bjork in her Post era in the vocals and music at the start, but then a more traditional prog sound with Banks like keyboards takes over, prior to a reprise of the opening bars at the denouement. This is a nice short track with lots going on.

Shells is a fine piece of music, combining some lovely vocals, pastoral keyboards and orchestration. Perhaps the highlight of the album for me, it is melancholic and almost yearning.

If that, however, was melancholic, things turn quite a shade darker on In That Room, with many passages reminding me of the extremely clever, and haunting, movements on the two Lunatic Soul offerings. Another very clever, and very good piece of music.

Andrum is a short piece with some good woodwind and brass and ethereal chanting, and, especially, more very clever bass work between the orchestrals. This takes us into No more Rollercoaster, which takes the mood elsewhere again, and is, essentially, a post modern rock track. It's good enough, but I, for one, would have far preferred the band to have developed Andrum more as an extended piece of music, simply because it was more interesting.

The title track is the longest on the album, coming in at just short of six minutes, and is a return to form. Again, I hear quite a lot of influences at play here, and I am sure that the band have listened to some of Gabriel's more ethnic influenced stuff in addition to the aforementioned Lunatic Soul. This is another darker track, with Nettermalm's vocals losing any sense of innocence, and combined with understated guitar, a thumping rhythm section, and cello, it creates a rather doom laden pastiche very effectively.

Smartan continues the theme with mournful cello, piano, and effects linking with some more extremely fragile vocals. It is, again, extremely well executed, but you do, at this stage, however, begin to look for a somewhat lighter touch in the mood, and this is brought to us by Surrounded, which is a very good pop/rock song with delicate prog sensibilities and reminds me a bit of some of Magenta's lighter moments. It is, however, very welcome as taking us back to the mood of the opening tracks before the gloom totally took over.

I have no idea what Ploing, My Friend is all about, except to say that it is just short of one minute of percussive noodling and plinking. Perhaps it was Petronella's tea break, I don't know, but, whatever, when things return to normal with Precious, it is welcome. This is a very good commercial track that will have prog purists running for cover, I suppose, but I like it in much the same way as I still enjoy the better indie music that is out there. I especially like the keyboard work on this track.

The album closes with Over & Out, which is rather like its predecessor in terms of impact and influence, excepting it's not as good.

This is a good album, and I would recommend it to those who enjoy intelligent, modern rock music, without necessarily having to have prog in every note or passage. I especially like Nettermalm's vocals - she is a real talent, and, overall, the band are a very tight and effective unit.

Three stars for this. A very good album that is not remotely essential in terms of a prog collection.

Send comments to lazland (BETA) | Report this review (#530126) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 23, 2011

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Ethereal vocals. That's the main catch of this album called "Breathing". But beware, unlike a drowner, catching his breath frantically, this album is rather calm, deep swallowing of air around you.

Almost psychedelic (hypnotical is the word) experience, some of you will be caught in a weird trance-like state, gasping for more. But more of what you may ask - well, as many acts here in Crossover Prog genre, Paatos too is slowly rolling forth and back from Prog to Pop Rock territory, catching some Prog elements along the way, but in overall, this is certainly easy listening album, but the point is its variety, even in a very subtle way. You will get sometimes almost symphonic experience, while sometimes it is aforementioned PopRock style. But beware, it is never a cheap sound.

4(-), great harmonies and calmness.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#595973) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 25, 2011

4 stars I've seen PAATOS described as Art Rock meets Post-Rock to Cinematic Rock but whatever name tags you want to throw at these guys know for certain that this is Swedish melancholia at it's best. The clear and pure voice of Petronella is the focus as usual and she just continues to impress me. The one thing I kept thinking while listening to this album was how well these songs would go over in a live setting.

"Gone" stands out for me because it reminds me of THE GATHERING when Anneke sang for them. Just a killer intro with bass as the sound explodes with vocals. It settles back but the contrasts do continue. Killer drumming late in this powerful opener. "Fading Out" is also powerful in it's own way and I like the guitar expressions. "Shells" features strummed guitar before it kicks in with vocals. Lots of depth and atmosphere as usual. Check out the vocal melodies 3 1/2 minutes in. "In That Room" has a dark atmosphere to start. Vocals and a beat before 1 1/2 minutes and chunky bass 3 1/2 minutes in. "Andrum" has lots of atmosphere, piano and more.

"No More Rollercoaster" has a nice drum intro then vocals before a minute. Some huge bass lines as well. The guitar after 3 1/2 minutes is inventive. "Breathing" has an experimental intro then it kicks in after a minute. Vocals follow. Powerful sound before 4 minutes then the vocals return. "Smartan" opens with atmosphere and sparse piano as dreamy vocals join in. Drums follow in this powerful track. "Surrounded" and the next two songs are my least favourites. This song is still good though especially late. "Ploing, My Friend" is a very short piece that sounds like toy piano or something. "Precious" is laid back with vocals. It's okay. "Over And Out" ends the album in style. The bass and drums are killer. A much better song than the previous three.

An solid 4 stars from me.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#759811) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 28, 2012

4 stars A FANTASTIC BUNCH OF GREAT PROG RELATED SONGS After I had listening to this album dozens of times, I must admit that Its music really touches my inner self so deep. Up to the Sublime opener "Gone" to the closing song "Over and Out" I coudn't find any single weak track on it. On this 4th stu ... (read more)

Report this review (#549813) | Posted by Moneypulated | Thursday, October 13, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is my first Paatos album, and I am impressed by the good song writing, good instrumentation and musicality. With good instrumentation I do not mean unusual instruments, but the way how the well played instruments (guitars, bass, drums, keyboards) contribute to the harmonies and melody lines. Wo ... (read more)

Report this review (#505360) | Posted by Formentera Lady | Thursday, August 18, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PAATOS "Breathing"