COLOURS OF THE DESERT

The Skys

The Skys Colours of the Desert album cover

Buy THE SKYS Music
Studio Album, released in 2011

1. Colors of the Desert (7:33)
2. Is this the Way? (3:57)
3. I... He... (4:29)
4. Walking Alone (9:33)
5. When the Western Wind Blows (6:15)
6. Calling Out Your Name (8:21)
7. The Pyramid (7:28)

- John Young (Bonnie Tyler, Scorpions, Fish) / keyboards
- Snake Davis (Eurythmics, Ray Charles, Paul McCartney) / saxophone
- Tony Spada (Holding Pattern) / guitar
- Anne-Marie Helder (Mostly Autumn, Panic Room) / vocals

Digital release (media download) scheduled for March 2, 2011.
CD release scheduled later 2011.

Thanks to phx for the addition
and to J-Man for the last updates

THE SKYS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE SKYS Colours of the Desert Music

BRAD MILLER-STEEL RAILS UNDER THUNDERING SKYS LP-TRAIN US $47.02 Buy It Now 1 day
MAGIC *Skys The Limit* CD No Limit Records 1998 MASTER P, SNOOP DOGG, C MURDER US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Trendsetters Vol. 1-Skys the Limit CD US $6.47 Buy It Now 3 days
Unknown Artist Skys the Limit CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Richard Hawley - Standing At The Skys Edge (NEW 2 x 12" VINYL LP) US $49.21 Buy It Now 3 days
Bauhaus - The Skys Gone Out (NEW CD) US $14.84 Buy It Now 3 days
HUMMINGBIRD Trouble Maker Gypsy Skys 1977 EX PROMO A&M 1993 Funk breaks LISTEN US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SEVEN SKYS WAVES AND TIDES JAPAN VERY RARE CD 1995 ZERO CORP US $60.00 [0 bids]
"LEON PATILLO"-THE SKYS THE LIMIT-NM 1984 CHRISTIAN INSPIRATIONAL LP-FEAR NOT US $1.99 [0 bids]
2 ORIG LPS"LEON PATILLO"-THE SKYS THE LIMIT-LIVE EXPERIENCE BOTH IN SHRINK US $2.99 [0 bids]
No I.D. Skys The Limit/jump On It Rare Random Rap Relativity Chicago US $5.00 [0 bids]
duke 7":DENNIS ALCAPONE-the skys the limit (hear) US $33.93 Buy It Now 5 days
frank ifield blue skys 1964 uk columbia label vinyl lp 33sx 1588 US $11.87 Buy It Now 5 days
HUMMINGBIRD (70'S GROUP) trouble maker 7" b/w gypsy skys but has radio staion st US $8.47 Buy It Now 7 days
DAVID LEE ROTH 3xCassette Tapes Lot EAT 'EM AND SMILE A Little Ain't Enough Skys US $6.66 Buy It Now 7 days
DROP HAMMER 'Electric Skys / Roses In The Wind' ROCK 7"/ 45 RPM RECORD US $14.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Rhythm Heritage 70s R&B LP Skys the Limit 1978 USA US $11.98 Buy It Now 9 days
SKYS GONE OUT BY BAUHAUS (CD) US $15.81 Buy It Now 9 days
STANDING AT THE SKYS EDGE BY HAWLEY,RICHARD (CD) US $20.41 Buy It Now 9 days
Bauhaus - Skys Gone Out CD Pop Rock US $12.59 Buy It Now 10 days
Stover Mick - Skys On Fire CD Pop Blues US $11.58 Buy It Now 10 days
Danna Mychael - Skys CD Pop New Age Meditation US $18.53 Buy It Now 10 days
Hawley Richard - Standing At The Skys Edge Bonus Cd LP Vinyl Record US $43.17 Buy It Now 10 days
Bauhaus - Skys Gone Out 180G Vinyl Record LP US $25.16 Buy It Now 10 days
The SKYS - Colours of the Desert (2011 rock album CD) US $14.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Brad Miller Steel Rails Under Thundering Skys DTS 5.1 for DTS Players Only US $46.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Steel Rails Under Thundering Skys by Brad Miller (Cassette, 1972 Bainbridge) NEW US $14.99 Buy It Now 12 days
BAUHAUS - THE SKYS GONE OUT LP NEW US $39.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Skys - Mychael Danna New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $18.89 Buy It Now 12 days
Steel Rails Under Thundering Skys '72/75 BAINBRIDGE/SOUNDBIRD 2LP SET RARE EX/NM US $17.59 Buy It Now 12 days
Bauhaus - The Skys Gone Out NEW CD US $12.27 Buy It Now 12 days
HUMMINGBIRD "TROUBLE MAKER / GYPSY SKYS" 45 PROMO US $2.50 Buy It Now 12 days
BAUHAUS:The Skys Gone Out:T-shirt:NEW:MEDIUM ONLY US $28.23 Buy It Now 13 days
Mack Vibe Ft Jacqueline - Skys The Limit - 1997 #122651 US $5.08 Buy It Now 14 days
BAUHAUS - The Skys Gone Out - VINYL LP US $32.85 Buy It Now 15 days
Richard Hawley - Standing At The Skys Edge CD UMGD/MUTE US $16.92 Buy It Now 15 days
1979 White Label Promo 45 Oak - This Is Love Skys The Limit Mercury 74076 US $9.99 Buy It Now 15 days
HUGO - s/t - Excellent AOR/MHR CD/SEALED/VALENTINE/OPEN SKYS/GARY HUGHES US $13.99 Buy It Now 15 days
HUGO - Time on Earth - Excellent AOR/MELODIC ROCK CD/SEALED/VALENTINE/OPEN SKYS US $13.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Richard Hawley - Standing At The Skys Edge Vinyl Record LP US $26.40 Buy It Now 17 days
Skys by Mychael Danna (CD, Feb-2011, Hearts of Space) US $10.51 Buy It Now 17 days
STEEL RAILS UNDER THUNDERING SKYS SKIES: TRAIN SOUNDS WITH THUNDERSTORM CD! RARE US $59.95 Buy It Now 17 days
SPEED OF DARKNESS the skys devine split LP + INSERT NM- US $8.09 Buy It Now 18 days
Skys The Limit - Dont Be Afraid - J M J Demo 2nd US $76.39 Buy It Now 19 days
Area 51 - Look Up To The Skys - Antler Subway #142951 US $6.77 Buy It Now 19 days
Monty + D'Skys Music Is My Life / U Had It All 12" Slammin' Vinyl 1997 US $15.26 Buy It Now 19 days
UNDER MOSKVA SKYS 80 RUSSIAN SONGS IN HEBREW 4 CD BOX US $40.00 Buy It Now 20 days
Magic- Skys The Limit [PA] CD 1998 Priority/No Limit Records/Rare/OOP/Master P US $23.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Blackhawk - Skys The Limit (1998) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 20 days
Skys Of Fire - Red Letters Kill (2005) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 20 days
Danna,Mychael - Skys [CD New] US $13.48 Buy It Now 20 days
Growing - Skys Run Into The Sea CD US $19.17 Buy It Now 21 days
The Skys - Songs from Small Dreams in an Elevator CD US $7.00 Buy It Now 21 days
Mack Vibe - Skys The Limit (1997) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 22 days
BRAND NEW Skys Of Fire Red Letters Kill Audio Music CD OOP RARE Uncles Collect US $55.00 Buy It Now 22 days
PROPELLERS Skys Limit 2002 Pennsylvania Andy Natalalie US $19.99 Buy It Now 22 days
VTG Vinyl LP Record 1982 BAUHAUS The Skys Gone Out SP-4918 Rock USA Good Cond. US $20.00 Buy It Now 23 days
RAPHAEL SAADIQ ~ Skys The Limit ~ 12" Single US $12.20 Buy It Now 24 days
Skys - Very Good US $5.67 Buy It Now 24 days
Waxwings DETROIT ROCK 7" Leave Less Waiting / Skys a Mi US $9.98 Buy It Now 24 days
RICHARD HAWLEY STANDING AT THE SKYS EDGE LP x 2 180 GM MINT US $44.12 Buy It Now 26 days
Original Soundtrack : Du Barry Was a Lady/the Skys the Limit CD (2001) US $10.00 Buy It Now 26 days
Skys the Limit - Leone Buyse New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $19.88 Buy It Now 27 days
LEON PATILLO THE SKYS THE LIMIT Cassette Tape US $11.78 Buy It Now 27 days
Refugee by Sanchez & Beenie Man vg+ Skys The Limit 12" Reggae US $9.95 Buy It Now 27 days
Vocabulary High by Merciless vg+ Skys The Limit 12" Reggae US $9.95 Buy It Now 27 days
Steel Rails Under Thundering Skys [Skies] by Brad Miller Bainbridge BCD 6243 NEW US $22.88 Buy It Now 27 days
Mick Stovers Gentlemens Blues Club - The Skys On Fire NEW CD US $8.47 Buy It Now 27 days
Monty & D'Skys Feeling Your Love 12" New Era 1998 US $28.84 Buy It Now 27 days
STEEL RAIL UNDER THUNDERING SKYS LP SOUNDBIRD RECORDS TRAIN LOCOMOTIVE 1975 VG US $15.97 Buy It Now 27 days
GLENN DERRINGER The Skys The Limit Lp 1977 US $9.40 Buy It Now 28 days
BRAND NEW Skys Of Fire Red Letters Kill Audio Music CD OOP RARE US $55.00 Buy It Now 28 days
Dan Traxx - Up The Street / Skys The Limit 12" US $10.61 Buy It Now 28 days
MYCHAEL DANNA - SKYS - NEW CD US $14.05 Buy It Now 28 days
TEMPTATIONS - Skys The Limit- VINYL LP US $13.99 Buy It Now 28 days
MYCHAEL DANNA - Skys - NEW CD Hearts of Space New Age US $10.49 Buy It Now 28 days
MAGIC Skys The Limit C-Murder Master P Snoop Doggy Dogg 1998 OG BLUE CASE G-FUNK US $25.00 Buy It Now 29 days
Buyse Et Al - Skys The Limit CD US $17.53 Buy It Now 29 days
Richard Hawley - Standing At The Skys Edge CD PARLOPHONE US $24.13 Buy It Now 29 days
Karunesh - Skys Beyond CD US $17.56 Buy It Now 29 days
MYCHAEL DANNA - SKYS NEW CD US $22.91 Buy It Now 29 days
Skys the Limit, Notorious B.I.G., Good Single US $4.62 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy THE SKYS music online Buy THE SKYS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE SKYS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE SKYS Colours of the Desert ratings distribution

THE SKYS Colours of the Desert reviews

Review by J-Man
3 stars Colours of the Desert is both a unique and impressive effort from leading Lithuanian progressive rock act The Skys. In addition to sporting a decidedly modern take on art rock, the band has also managed to incorporate various styles of jazz, rock, prog, and even touches of pop and soul into their distinct sound. You can definitely spot influences from Pink Floyd, Spock's Beard, and Marillion in their sound, but The Skys manage to retain their unique brand of neo-progressive art rock throughout the full duration of Colours of the Desert. There are also enough solid compositions here to keep most listeners coming back for more, and even though I wouldn't venture to call this an entirely flawless effort, it is a solid outing from this promising band.

While not all songs here are excellent, there are definitely a few great tracks found within this 57 minute album. "Colours of the Desert", "Lethal Kiss", and "Walking Alone" (the longest song on the album) especially stand out as fantastic pieces of music, and these are the three songs that I always remember most fondly when the album ends. "Is This the Way" and "Calling Out Your Name" are a bit too chorus-based for my tastes, even though they both have a few killer aspects. I especially like the former's keyboard playing and the latter's Pink Floyd-ish middle section. The David Gilmour-styled guitar solos throughout the album, matched with female vocal sections and occasional saxophone solos, do tend to give Colours of the Desert a significant Pink Floyd flavoring from time to time. The musicianship is also really impressive across the board, and I especially have to mention that the guitar solos performed throughout the album (by guests and full-time members) are spectacular.

I do think that Colours of the Desert would've benefited from a more professional production and a few more killer tracks, but this is generally a very solid offering of modern progressive rock from The Skys. People who take a liking to art rock that's both original and still accessible should definitely find plenty to love on Colours of the Desert. I'd say 3.5 stars are well-deserved for this impressive album.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#584433) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Review by Finnforest
4 stars Alone in the desert, one needs hope

The Skys are one of the leading progressive rock bands of Lithuania, active for over 15 years but with a line-up recently revamped. The release of the new and majestic "Colours of the Desert" should go a long way in attracting new fans outside of their homeland. Featuring a wealth of high profile special guests and an ambitious compositional attitude, this is an impressive hour of prog rock. Other reviewers have mentioned everyone from Floyd to Gathering to Renaissance to Eloy in attempts to describe their sound. As the band seemed amused by these assessments in their interview with Torodd, I'll add my own little nonsensical opinion and say the first comparison that popped into my melon was The Alan Parsons Project. So there.

"Colours of the Desert" falls short of being a masterpiece in my opinion, but it is a fantastically enjoyable and eclectic album. Well rounded, enthusiastic, and engaging melodic prog rock is what we get here, with a consistent theme being pursued: "So far this is our most mature album. It is about the journey to desert. At certain stages of our lives we all go to the desert. And desert is all around us - our cities, our daily lives desert may be inside and outside us. Desert is full of temptations, mirages, thoughts and conversations with yourself. However, each time we return from the desert we are different." -Jonas Ciurlionis, interview with PA

The music tries hard to capture the desert theme, in spots sporting various sound effects along with a slight Middle Eastern flavor. Along with the wide variety of lush sounds and light/heavy atmospheres at times it recalls something like Orphaned Land without the metal element. The weapons at their disposal here are many. The mix of male and female vocals is very effective and of good quality. The main male singer has this slightly gravelly Gabriel thing going, and the female voice is quite ethereal, mixed together and with the backing harmonies they can be wonderful. The tracks are packed with soaring guitar/saxophone solos and keyboards of many textures. Love the airy backgrounds, stately piano lines, acoustic guitars, and even a bit of strings. The rhythm section is suitably aggressive when the music demands it, but able to transition smoothly during the more laid-back moments. The all important quality of the songs is mixed but mostly pretty tasty. I like the ones which leaned eclectic more than the ones with repetitive, catchy chorus parts. The tracks which had the most mystery and mood, where you didn't know what would happen next, were the most exciting. As mentioned, the album reminds me of something like "I Robot" but with longer, sassier playing and a bit more oomph. I really like the fact that despite the obvious talent of the players, my attention is always on the beauty of the sound rather than clinical assessments of their technical prowess. In other words, the members are creating engaging sound rather than showing off.

There are so many talented eclectic/crossover prog bands out there now that the challenge for The Skys will be to get people to pay attention. A beautiful work. Between 3-4 stars but I enjoyed this enough to round it up.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#596433) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 26, 2011

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars It never ceases to amaze me how music can make the world such a small place. I first heard from Jonas Ciurlionis back in 2006, when I was still in the UK and I reviewed 'Postmodern Game'. Now in 2012 I am reviewing the follow-up 'Colours Of The Desert' which has just been released on CD (it was available as a download last year) and I live in NZ, but Jonas, Bozena, Alexandr and Justines still live in Lithuania where they are recognized as one of that country's top bands. What is also interesting about this release is the quality of the guests who have been involved: Dave Kilminster (I think I have seen Dave in concert on at least three occasions, Roger Waters earlier this year, plus John Wetton and The Nice), John Young (ex-Scorpions, Bonnie Tyler, Greenslade) who also produced the album, Snake Davis (Eurythmics, P.McCartney, Ray Charles, James Brown, etc.), Martin Beedle (Cutting Crew, Sarah Brightman, etc), Tony Spada (Holding Pattern) and Anne Marie Helder (Mostly Autumn, Panic Room). Not bad for a band that have yet to make a huge impact on the wider prog scene.

I do say "yet" as it surely can only be a matter of time. This is a stonking album, with great musicianship and songs throughout. The most obvious comparison is probably with Pink Floyd, but there are also elements of Renaissance, Marillion and others. This is a group that is happy to playing complex intricate prog at speed, or weave a soundscape that beguiles and brings the listener in to its' embrace. The use of female and male lead vocal interplay is particularly effective and overall this is an uplifting piece of work that surely must get them more recognized on the global prog scene. If you enjoy progressive music then you can't afford to miss this as it hits all of the right buttons ? solid from start to finish and a delight to listen to. Not quite 5 stars, but bloody close. www.theskys.com

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#813744) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 01, 2012

3 stars The leading Lithuanian band with this, their second album. I interviewed them earlier this year and they came across as a highly professional band with a vision and a drive to succeed. Something I am sure they will do with this album. Crossover is the right word here. The Skys is perfectly com ... (read more)

Report this review (#557528) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Wednesday, October 26, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE SKYS "Colours of the Desert"