WARS OF THE ROSES

Ulver Wars Of The Roses album cover

Buy ULVER Music
Studio Album, released in 2011

1. February MMX (4:10)
2. Norwegian Gothic (3:36)
3. Providence (8:10)

- Ole Alexander Halstensgård / electronics
- Tomas Pettersen / drums
- Attila Csihar / voice on III
- Emil Huemer / guitar on IV
- Trond Mjøen / acoustic & lap steel guitar on VI, electric guitar on I & IV, electric bass guitar on III & IV
- Anders Møller / percussion on VI
- Steve Noble / drums and percussion on II & VII
- Daniel Quill / violin on II, III & V
- Siri Stranger / voice on III
- Stephen Thrower / clarinet on VII
- Alex Ward / clarinet on II & III
- Stian Westerhus / electric guitar on VI, bowed electric guitar on II, III & VII

Kscope169
Recorded in Crystal Canyon Studios, Oslo, Norway & Orgone Studios, London, England.
Orgone session engineered by Jamie Gomez Arellano.
All tracks mixed by John Fryer, Empire Recording Rooms, Oslo, Norway, except VII mixed by O'Sullivan at the Johnstone House, London, England.
Mastered by Espen Berg, Livingroom Studios, Oslo, Norway.

Thanks to Conor Fynes for the addition
and to Evolutionary Sleeper for the last updates

ULVER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ULVER Wars Of The Roses Music

Wars of the RosesWars of the Roses
KSCOPE 2011
ULVER:WARS OF THE ROSES USD $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ULVER - WARS OF THE ROSES [802644816920] - NEW CD USD $8.64 Buy It Now 2 days
ULVER**WAR OF THE ROSES**CD USD $12.50 Buy It Now 2 days
ULVER - WAR OF THE ROSES NEW CD USD $19.33 Buy It Now 6 days
ULVER - WAR OF THE ROSES LP vinyl record arcturus USD $35.99 Buy It Now 6 days
ULVER-WARS OF THE ROSES. 17TRK CD ALBUM IN A DIGIBOOK USD $14.14 Buy It Now 6 days
Wars of the Roses by Ulver (CD, Apr-2011, Kscope) USD $9.39 Buy It Now 6 days
Ulver - War Of The Roses [CD New] USD $12.98 Buy It Now 6 days
ULVER LP Wars Of The Roses vinyl + download card USD $29.99 Buy It Now 6 days
ULVER - WAR OF THE ROSES - KSCOPE170 USD $17.27 Buy It Now 7 days
Ulver-War of the Roses CD NEW USD $19.79 Buy It Now 8 days
Ulver-War Of The Roses CD NEW USD $17.69 Buy It Now 10 days
Ulver-War of the Roses CD / with Book NEW USD $13.88 Buy It Now 10 days
Ulver - Wars Of The Roses LP ( Agalloch - Borknagar - Empyrium - Arcturus ) USD $34.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Ulver,SEALED Vinyl LP,War of the Roses,180 Gram Vinyl USD $24.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Ulver - War Of The Roses (NEW CD) USD $19.25 Buy It Now 11 days
War Of The Roses - Ulver (2012, CD New) USD $12.28 Buy It Now 11 days
ULVER - WARS OF THE ROSES NEW CD USD $16.29 Buy It Now 11 days
ULVER - WARS OF THE ROSES [802644817026] - NEW CD USD $12.48 Buy It Now 11 days
Ulver - War Of The Roses [CD New] USD $11.65 Buy It Now 11 days
Ulver - War Of The Roses (CD New) USD $15.41 Buy It Now 12 days
Ulver - War Of The Roses CD KSCOPE USD $16.39 Buy It Now 12 days
Ulver: Wars Of The Roses Limited Deluxe CD 2011 Jester / KScope EU Digibook NEW USD $13.95 Buy It Now 12 days
War of the Roses - Ulver New & Sealed CD Free Shipping USD $19.51 Buy It Now 13 days
Wars of the Roses - Ulver New & Sealed LP Free Shipping USD $32.34 Buy It Now 13 days
# ULVER-Wars Of The Roses 2 LP G/F SEALED BLACK AVANT-GARDE AMBIENT CD SHIRT RAR USD $36.66 Buy It Now 14 days
Wars Of The Roses - Ulver (2013, Vinyl New) USD $24.69 Buy It Now 14 days
ULVER Wars Of The Roses LP IMPORT dark jazzy prog/pop arcturus manes Hexvessel USD $24.98 Buy It Now 14 days
ULVER - WARS OF THE ROSES NEW VINYL USD $32.68 Buy It Now 14 days
Ulver - Wars Of The Roses [Vinyl New] USD $24.98 Buy It Now 15 days
ULVER**WARS OF THE ROSES (GATEFOLD)**VINYL USD $21.50 Buy It Now 15 days
ULVER Wars Of The Roses CD DIGIBOOK dark jazzy prog/pop arcturus manes Hexvessel USD $14.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Ulver, Wars of the Roses Audio CD USD $12.99 Buy It Now 16 days
*ULVER:WARS OF THE ROSES USD $10.99 Buy It Now 16 days
Ulver - War Of The Roses CD USD $18.99 Buy It Now 18 days
ULVER War Of The Roses Vinyl Lp New Org2011 K Scope 1st Press + Download Card USD $20.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Ulver - Wars Of The Roses LP Vinyl Record USD $31.59 Buy It Now 19 days
Ulver - Wars Of The Roses Vinyl LP New USD $31.38 Buy It Now 20 days
ULVER - WARS OF THE ROSES CD Album USD $12.57 Buy It Now 21 days
Wars Of The Roses (Ltd.) - Ulver New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $19.20 Buy It Now 22 days
Ulver - War of the Roses CD 2011 digibook KScope ambient experimental Norway USD $13.95 Buy It Now 25 days
Ulver - War Of The Roses NEW CD USD $15.54 Buy It Now 25 days

More places to buy ULVER music online Buy ULVER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ULVER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ULVER Wars Of The Roses ratings distribution

ULVER Wars Of The Roses reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'War Of The Roses' - Ulver (6/10)

At the dawn of each new year, there's already usually a batch of albums I am looking forward to. 2011 opened up with the great promise of music to come, and the new Ulver album was up there on my list of albums that were making me excited. Stealing my heart with their opus 'Shadows Of The Sun' from a few years ago, I checked out the new album from this band at the earliest discretion once it was made available for listening. Although I will be the first to say that the album is slow to grow on a listener, Ulver has made a great album with 'War Of The Roses,' although at times it may be a little too mellow and drawn out for its own good.

With 'February MMX', Ulver begins their latest work off on a surprisingly upbeat note, an atmospheric rocker that introduces 'War Of The Roses' on a somewhat misleading note. Although the song here is far from my favourite offering on 'Roses', it is without a doubt the most energetic, and gets the listener expecting something a little more active from these guys, only to scurry back down an ambient path with the second track 'Norwegian Gothic' and onwards. Luckily however, the first two tracks here make up the weakest material 'War Of The Roses' has to offer; it only gets better from there.

The first piece of real interest here is 'Providence'; a cunning melange of styles, ranging from the classical cellos to delta blues ad-libbing. Following that is another highlight- and my personal favourite- 'September IV', which feels as if it loosens up on the ambient nature with some more conventional songwriting, this time in a melodic post-rock style. Throughout all of this are the deep, distinctive vocals of Garm, who is certainly a great vocal presence, but doesn't feel as if he has such strong melodies to guide his voice, instead feeling almost as if Garm's voice is simply there for it's looming resonance and little else. That being said, the strength of 'War Of The Roses' is in its grand instrumentation and clever electronic arrangements.

The track that might be of most excitement to people is the fifteen minute 'Stone Angels', backing the rest of the album and eating up a third of the disc time. While some might expect a complex suite from Ulver here, 'Stone Angels' is instead a fairly minimalistic ambient hymn, with the poetic ramblings of a surrealist narrator speaking overtop. It may not sound like much, but the way Ulver does it is really majestic, making it feel like much less in length than the time spent listening. Eerie effects, pleasantly melancholic tones underneath and an ethereal vibe makes 'Stone Angels' a perfect piece of music to chill to. The one thing here that does get in the way are the pieces of narration themselves, which generally add little to the music besides something to raise an eyebrow to. Many will certainly find 'Stone Angels' to be a disappointing snore, but if you take it for what it is, you may be pleasantly surprised.

I must say though, I did not care for 'War Of The Roses' at all when I first listened to it. I found it both too diverse and too boring to get much into, and the vocals felt misplaced, if anything. But there's no denying after a couple of listens onwards that 'Roses' has alot more musically going for it than many ambient albums of its time.Although the album is far from being perfect or Ulver's best, it's certainly an album that grows with each listen; after all, hasn't the music of Ulver always been one to play hard-to-get?

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#423422) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 27, 2011

Review by EatThatPhonebook
4 stars Ulver was considered one of the best black metal bands when they released their first three albums. But from there their music changed completely, going way on the experimental side, using electronic. 'Wars Of The Roses' is the band's tenth studio album, and it's just as experimental and just as non metal as the other more recent albums. The result didn't disappoint me, like I thought it would.

There is a big difference in style compared to the other Ulver albums of the second era: this seems to be much more rock influenced, with tons of piano, drums, bass; basically it sounds like simple art rock, since of course the keyboards and synths are really highlighted. We also got some Gregorian vocals here and there, that accompany Kristoffer Rygg's deep and profound voice. Generally it's nothing like the previous album, 'Shadows of the Sun'. The production is high class, the mixing is perfect, so no complaints here.

The moods of this album are very chilled (not minimalist and bleak like 2007's release), which make this album so haunting. But it's also very cerebral, complex, and maybe even romantic in some moments. An album that not many will appreciate, as I can see, but these elements mixed together have usually an excellent result, as this is in my opinion. However, there is some small, but noticeable traces of creepiness and gothic atmospheres, thanks to the Gregorian vocals, or thanks to the lush keyboards. This is what maybe the fans would look for in 'Wars Of The Roses', but the truth is that from this point of view they'll be disappointed, as this is a much more 'positive' album than all their other, much darker releases.

There are many songs here that stole my heart the minute I heard them, which was when I saw Ulver live, performing the whole album; 'February MMX' is a great opener, a little tense because of the piano, and the great performance by Kristoffer on vocals. 'Norwegian Gothic' is a shorter but still impressive song, the one that most reminds me of 'Shadows Of The Sun'. Even 'England', 'Providence', or 'September IV' are worthy of mentioning. But the song that is really getting some buzz among the Uver fans is the epic fifteen minutes of 'Stone Angels', a spoken word song, accompanied by soft piano and electronics. I personally don't consider this the highlight of the album, nor it's true heart. These songs are very cerebral especially lyrically speaking, concerning existentialism, English culture(literature in particular), religion, always narrated with a somewhat gothic appearance.

An album full of culture, like the title might imply, that like I said is not and will not be loved by many. But 'Wars Of the Roses' is a really enjoyable experience, that is even more rich and ambitious live.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#443586) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 06, 2011

Review by JJLehto
4 stars The best Ulver album in a very long time!

Maybe in 15 years.

Now I say that not being a big fan of electronic music...even the Ulver electronic works I really like, such as "Blood Inside" and "Themes" are not exactly high up on my overall music list. After Ulver's very moving yet boring "Shadows of the Sun" I had no clue what to expect with this album. Hell, can we ever have any clue what to expect with any Ulver album? Well, I finally picked it up and was pleasantly surprised.

I have no clue what to classify this album as. At first I thought maybe post-rock? Perhaps Art Rock is best, or.....dark electroambient? All I do know is this is a challenging and rewarding album. Unlike Ulver's previous album which suffered from a little too much minimalism and being samey, "War o the Roses" is quite textured and progressive. It is subtle of course, but if you take a deep listen you will uncover a world of noises floating around, truly a soundscape. The use of drums on this album is great, it adds a rock feel and gives the album a feeling of movement, instead of just drifting along straight forward. Also adding to the albums movement and power is Daniel O'Sullivan of Guapo on guitar, and a plethora of musicians to fill the environment.

The songs are also varied, starting off with the upbeat and almost poppy "February MMX" and it's a really cool song. Done well and in typical Ulver fashion, it throws a curve ball to catch us off guard. Again, the drums help fuel a powerful climax.

"Norwegian Gothic" is more ambient track that slowly builds. "Providence" is like something out of Godspeed's book. Very good song. "September IV" is actually one of the more accessible songs on the album and my personal favorite. This is countered by the minimalist, synth heavy "England" complete with perfect drumming and atmosphere. "Island" is more experimental, ripe with electronic noises and again is very atmospheric and drifty.

Finally, the big hitter...the 15 minute "Stone Angels" which is the most challenging on the album by far. Largely a spoken word piece, filled with ambient synths filling the background, punctuated by electronic noises, clarinet, bowed guitar, and sparse percussion. It creates a very melodic and beautiful atmosphere that works perfectly with the deep speaking voice, and naturally the whole song is giant crescendo. It builds to a haunting choir with a militaristic sounding drum rhythm, which is the most powerful feeling after sticking with the song. Maybe not the best on the album, but it is the most rewarding.

I've repeated several words here: Atmospheric, building, subtle, powerful and moving. That is the best way to describe this album. On "War of the Roses" Ulver goes back to rock, but mixes it with their electronic work, (don't worry electronics dominate the guitars) and the result is grand. This post/art rock album is not about songs per se, but atmosphere. Every musician involved not showcasing their skill, but each playing their role to create a soundscape. Sonic collages, are more accurate than "songs".

While Shadows in the Sun was a very powerful and moving album it lost me fast, but by adding more instrumentation, especially drums, Garm fuller sounds and the album can really move now. That it does, with grand crescendos, peaks and valleys. Garm's vocals are the final piece, and as always are perfect. Deep, haunting, a little dark, beautiful and always forceful, even when so melodic.

A very atmospheric, ambient, textured and challenging album but the most complete and well composed Ulver has made in a very long time.

Four Stars

Send comments to JJLehto (BETA) | Report this review (#468719) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 24, 2011

Review by Any Colour You Like
4 stars Now, before I launch into this review, I shall announce a careful caveat to whatever I pen next. Ulver's latest release took me by surprise, so much so that I was initially cast into almost giving it a five star rating. However, having lived with it for a few months, my opinion of it has softened. Indeed, it would be a travesty to give this album anything less, for all but one salient reason.

The Wars of The Roses is a fusion album. Not in the jazz fusion sense, but in the way that nobody should be capable of truly capturing it's essence. Sure, it's a mix of electronic, ambient, rock, glitch, neo-classical, and gothic... but nonetheless, all these tags are as good as useless from track to track, so forget I even tried. This means that the music has that essential fluidity and ephemeral nature which is more a kin to an astral journey than a basic stop-start affair. The upbeat yet also dark compositions can take a while to appreciate, Garm can be both uplifting (usually through soaring vocals) and crushing through lyrical density and historical imagery. The clever amalgam of both Norwegian and British histories and culture evokes classical imagery and nostalgic impulses, yet this is one album which manages to keep sticking the knife in. Furthermore, the lengthy ambient movements are as serene and as unforgiving as the lyrical content. Indeed, Wars of the Roses has some of the more polished lyricism and imagery I've had the pleasure to hear in quite some time.

Despite all of the positives, there is one major criticism I have: and it's called 'Stone Angels'. No, I'm not going to do the whole 'oh, I saw a fifteen minute track and expected something better than a dramatic monologue', no, it's more to do with the lucidity and flow of the album. Leading up to the closer, the album creates a certain tension, which is essentially unresolved during the closer. Don't get me wrong, the closer by itself is a polished work, and O'Sullivan's recital of the poem is suiting, however I just don't feel the connection between it and the rest of the album. It appears to sit in an unnatural place, as if it were leading into something, rather than finishing the suite. You could argue that the narrative ends naturally, but that seems to take some of the fun away. After all, there's always another way through the forest than first meets the eye.

While this does dent my love for the album, make no mistakes; Wars of the Roses is a very polished record, that should provide the listener with enough material to keep showing depth upon repeated listens. Isn't it funny how little things can impact upon your perceptions; or perhaps I'm just being harsh and nit picky. Either way, Ulver's latest sure is a cerebral listen.

Send comments to Any Colour You Like (BETA) | Report this review (#491001) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 27, 2011

5 stars This is marvellous. The best release of Ulver since Perdition City. 'Wars of the Roses' is not an easy album. It is very dark and it flirts with heavy subjects (the meaning of life, death, religion) that may put off some listeners. But if one is willing to invest into the album, 'Wars of the Ros ... (read more)

Report this review (#572001) | Posted by lukretio | Sunday, November 20, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars With this, the first follow up to one of my favorite albums of the 21st Century, "Shadows of the Sun," Ulver has put together another album that not only pushes the boundaries of musical structure and presentation, but, I predict, will push many people's comfort buttons. How does one really cate ... (read more)

Report this review (#427807) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Tuesday, April 05, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ULVER "Wars Of The Roses"