FLO╦ ╦SSI / ╦KTAH

- James Mac Gaw / guitar
- Emmanuel Borghi / Fender Rhodes
- Phillipe Bussonnet / bass
- Christian Vander / drums, vocals, keyboards

Seventh Records (CD A XXVI)

and to Joren for the last updates

MAGMA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MAGMA FloŰ ╦ssi / ╦ktah Music

Felicite ThoszFelicite Thosz
Seventh Records 2013
AttahkAttahk
Seventh Records 2013

More places to buy MAGMA music online Buy MAGMA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MAGMA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MAGMA FloŰ ╦ssi / ╦ktah ratings distribution

MAGMA FloŰ ╦ssi / ╦ktah reviews

4 stars 4.5 stars. This is an Ep MAGMA put out when touring back in 1998 when they were making a comeback of sorts. I have been listening to it now for a few weeks. I'd put it on everytime I went to the store or to get gas, and it got to the point where I couldn't wait to go out so I could listen to it. This is truly an amazing find for me. If i'm not mistaken this is the only Ep they have put out. It consists of two tracks, the first being a Bussonnet composition. He's such a good bass player as well. The second and longest is a Vander song.They're both fantastic.

"Floe Essi (La Fille De La Mer)" has a jazzy intro as female vocal melodies come in. Their vocals are amazing. Male vocals(Cardiet) come in and his voice is quite powerful. Check out the drumming of Vander before 1 1/2 minutes ! A calm follows with gentle female vocals. This is my favourite part. Male vocals and a full sound roar back after 2 minutes. "Ektah (Le Heros)" is almost 6 minutes long. Vander sings on this one. His vocals are by far the best i've ever heard them. This just makes me yearn for them to put out more records.This is a catchy track with Vander shining on the drums as usual. Check him out 3 1/2 minutes in.

MAGMA fans have to get this incredible recording. It's essential. Check out "Wayside Music".

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#152987) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Review by Queen By-Tor
4 stars 9-Minutes of pure joy

Rarely does an EP come along that is such high quality. Magma released this little gem in 1998 during a long break between studio albums (1984's Merci and 2004's K.A.), and man does it ever show their want to get back into business! The Ep consists of two songs that (to my knowledge) are unique to this release, both are surprisingly short and concise for the band, but both demonstrate amazing musicianship. Magma's jazz side comes out more here than normal and the sometimes off-putting vocals seem to have been streamlined to become highly melodic and even catchy. Check out Vander's vocals during the longer track, ╦ktah, they're great! For those of us who don't speak French (or Kobaian, for that matter) the vocals once again take on a quality that more turns them into another instrument. The female vocal section also makes for a great addition as it gives Vander's voice an ethereal quality as they harmonize with him. This song also has a wonderful opening that floats along like something out of a classic Yes tune before exploding into zeuhl with those crazy harmonized vocals.

Both songs are top notch, completely quality throughout. ╦ktah is surprisingly catchy thanks to its rhythmic vocal section and mad drumming, while FloŰ ╦ssi opens with a surprisingly nice drum line and the jazz bass takes over. Dominantly female vocals in this song are beautiful (and not at all scary, as can be sections of, say, MDK). Vander pops in and out of this song with his vocals but keeps relentlessly pounding the skins like there's no tomorrow. The ending to this one is just so fun as it ends on a single bass chord. Nice.

The unfortunate part is that the album doesn't go on for longer! However, sitting at just under 9-minutes this is a great album for a progger who is pressed for time. Most proggers I know (myself included) like to listen to a disc from one end to another, so this makes for a great travel cd as noted by Sinkadotentree in his review of the album. I would say that this would also make a great introduction to the band (if you can find it) since it is wildly accessible, which is very surprising coming from an obscure band like Magma.

The music on this cd is absolutely brilliant, but since it is a minor release and not a full fledged album it would be completely irrational to give it a full 5 stars. This may not be an essential masterpiece, but it makes for a great listen, and repeated listens are natural since it's so short it just leave you salivating for more. Heck, you may find yourself starting it over again after it ended. Good luck finding it, but if you do - don't hesitate to buy this thing. I don't think I've ever given an EP a mark over 3 before, but this one certainly deserves a 4.

Send comments to Queen By-Tor (BETA) | Report this review (#182281) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 12, 2008

3 stars This is the first of many Magma albums I will sink my teeth into during the coming weeks/ months/years. The reason is that a girlfriend gave me Magma complete a week ago as a get-well-soon present. I am also a newbeginner in the Zeuhl genre. This EP starts out like something Matching Mole coul ... (read more)

Report this review (#257457) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Wednesday, December 23, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Wait, you're telling me Magma put out a single? Like a pop single for radio play, right? Muhahahaha, not quite ... Actually, I think this duet of songs would make an excellent introduction to Magma firstcomers if they can find it. You get all of the intensity and absolutely brilliant work in th ... (read more)

Report this review (#226614) | Posted by ods94065 | Tuesday, July 14, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Just fantastic. This was a single/EP marking Magma's return in the late '90's. I can't say enough good things about the two songs, except that I am very glad I stumbled across this in an underground record store, when it was still available. For a point of reference, think of some of the so ... (read more)

Report this review (#22404) | Posted by | Monday, November 29, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MAGMA "FloŰ ╦ssi / ╦ktah"