AZ ÖRDÖG ÁLARCOSBÁLJA (DEVIL'S MASQUERADE)

Syrius

Syrius Az ördög álarcosbálja (Devil's Masquerade) album cover

Buy SYRIUS Music
Studio Album, released in 1972

1. Concerto for a Three-Strigned Violon and Five Mugs of Beer - Koncert háromhúros hegedűre és öt korsó sörre (2:38)
2. Crooked Man - Hitvány ember (6:55)
3. I've Been This Down Before - Voltam már azelőtt. (4:27)
4. Devil's Masquerade - Az ördög álarcosbálja (5:34)
5. Psychomania (5:44)
6. Observations of an Honest Man - Egy becsületes ember észrevételei (1:46)
7. In the Bosom of a Shout - Egy kiáltás méhében (8:53)

Search SYRIUS Az ördög álarcosbálja (Devil's Masquerade) lyrics

- Mihály Ráduly / alto and tenor saxophone , flute, piccolo
- András Veszelinov / drums, vocals

LP Pepita LPX 17439

Thanks to clarke2001 for the addition

SYRIUS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SYRIUS Az ördög álarcosbálja (Devil's Masquerade) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
1971 Australian Album (+6 Bonus Tracks)1971 Australian Album (+6 Bonus Tracks)
Enigmatic Records
Present Past FuturePresent Past Future
Hungaroton 1994
Broken Dreams Szettört AlmokBroken Dreams Szettört Almok
Pepita
Vinyl$28.99 (used)
Az Ordog AlarcosbaljaAz Ordog Alarcosbalja
Studio Kft 1999

More places to buy SYRIUS music online Buy SYRIUS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SYRIUS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SYRIUS Az ördög álarcosbálja (Devil's Masquerade) ratings distribution

SYRIUS Az ördög álarcosbálja (Devil's Masquerade) reviews

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
4 stars Canterbury-soul-Aristocats

This is a pretty special album to say the least. Hungarian beat band Syrius originally formed back in 62 and then metamorphosed with the times and the changing currents adopting a powerful melodic jazz rock approach. Even so, the time spent playing together as a band all through the 60s shows almost immediately, when you pop this mother on.

The Devil's Masquerade was actually recorded in Australia, where the band had received a record deal, which to my knowledge is why they decided to sing in English, but don't take my word for it though... Speaking of those vocals, the 60s sound is all over them, and this listener feels instantly warm and taken aback by the sheer soul and chocolate power there is to them. For lack of a better picture, then imagine a white version of Otis Redding, albeit with a slightly heftier backing band. Yeah erm - perhaps backing band is the wrong wording here, because it feels much more like a full frontal attack with heavy based organ work, tip toeing Aristocats piano, manic saxophone sprees - often recalling the more angular Canterburian work, along with a butter-churning funky rhythm section, that will have you out of breath and lying on the floor like a salmon out of water.

There's that early 70s experimental feel to it as well - especially in some of the saxophone parts here, you get sudden bursts of unbridled free-jazz inching its way through the orchestrated wilderness. Still you never loose focus - you're still infatuated by warm and vibrant melody lines, that for some reason always seem a bit hidden beneath these mad interventions - either emanating from the aforementioned sax or an altogether preposterous sounding flute. The melodies are omnipresent often delivered by the soulful piano man, who are as prone to run wildly about on organic fusioneros runs going a hundred miles an hour - or just strolling casually along to these cool jazz Aristocats' chords, that really speak to the feline in me.

It's sexy, cacophonous, soulful, funky, at times ominous - but never dull or uninspired. Jazz with its pants down so to speak... I can understand why this album only has received masterpiece ratings before my review - I really can. Most of all, because I can relate to the kind of music on offer - the way it makes me feel, the warmth and vigour it's delivered with, but mostly because it just jives, bounces, funks, rocks and bleeds all over your living room floor like some kind of welcomed vagabond. With all the twists and turns, it really should radiate more of a schooled snobbish expression, but just like Zappa did with his musical ventures - these guys are able to take it to the streets - right down in the gutter and make it infinitely more earthy and frivolous. I really like that about 'em.

One thing that has got me puzzled slightly though, is the fact that I seem to know some of these melodies beforehand. I'm not suggesting that we're talking rip-offs, no no - I actually have a pretty good listening memory, and have always been able to spot where musical themes are lifted from, if such is the case, - but here with Devil's Masquerade the music just feels like an old friend shaking hands with you - like you instantly know the shake, the bake, the whole register of emotions associated with the experience, and yet you will constantly be facing new facets within the tracks - suddenly popping up within 60s inspired soul choruses you get the odd sax toots or a complete turn around making the music shift course and then go in a completely different direction. Still feels melodic and right at home though, which is one of this album's biggest attributes: the somewhat open and welcoming atmosphere it conjures up transcribes to the music itself. Everything seems to fit whether it be the Canterbury snippets on top of the free-jazz vortex, or the musical themes with a devout soul music shadow intrusion, it's all good and I just love it!

So, do you consider yourself a fan of 70s Zappa, Canterbury, Nine Days' Wonder - or just music you can seduce your friendly neighbourhood tomcat with? Then, I swear to you on my mother's diving suit, - this Australian produced Hungarian is a safe bet. It certainly has got me dancing the bop.

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#659748) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 15, 2012

5 stars I'm mostly reviewing Australian albums for the moment, but Syrius somehow ended up here for about a year in the early 70s, and for that short time became a very integral part of the local scene. While they were here, they recorded this album for Festival, and it's one of the best albums to come out ... (read more)

Report this review (#722312) | Posted by sl75 | Wednesday, April 11, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Syrius was formed by Zsolt Baronits in 1962, Hungary, mainly to play early beat music. The band profile changed in end of 1969. They started to play top quality progressive rock and jazz-rock fusion, when Miklos "Jackie" Orszaczky, Laszlo Pataki, Mihaly Raduly and Andras Veszelinov joined the ... (read more)

Report this review (#446167) | Posted by fluiddruid | Thursday, May 12, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SYRIUS "Az ördög álarcosbálja (Devil's Masquerade)"