ASHES

- Michael Gagen / Guitars
- Brendon Blanchard / Bass
- Stephen Walsh / Drums

OzProg Music, February 10th, 2007

Was initially intended as an EP featuring only the track, Ashes.

Ashes is split into 3 parts:

2 Aware
3 Power
4 Machinations
5 Revelations

Thanks to UMUR for the addition

ARCANE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ARCANE Ashes Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Known / LearnedKnown / Learned
Sensory Records 2015

More places to buy ARCANE music online Buy ARCANE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ARCANE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ARCANE Ashes ratings distribution

ARCANE Ashes reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Ashes" is the debut full-length studio album by Australian, Brisbane based progressive metal act Arcane. The album, which was originally intended to be released as an EP and only to feature the 24:15 minute long "Ashes" title track, was released through OzProg Music in February 2007. Now with 4 additional tracks and a playing time of 55:57 minutes.

The band play a very intricate form of progressive metal with interesting song structures, a generally dark and melancholic atmosphere and of course impeccable and at times virtuosic musicianship. The latter is more or less a trademark of the genre, so it´s not so surprising. Lead vocalist Jim Grey has a rather distinct sounding voice and it took me a while to learn to appreciate, but he sure is very skilled and after I have gotten used to his voice, I can´t imagine Arcane´s music without it. At times he reminds me of Jan-Henrik Ohme from the Norwegian act Gazpacho. There´s lots of passion and also bite in his performance. I like the fact that he is able to deliver both soft styled vocals and more raw almost aggressive vocals too. We´re not talking extreme metal vocals here though, just a commanding, powerful and passionte clean vocal style.

As such Arcane don´t bring much new to the table if you are well versed in progressive metal neither when talking instrumentation nor songwriting, but they deliver high quality material and it´s obvious that these guys are very talented and I´m sure they will release even more unique sounding material in the future. With a strong and unique sounding vocalist like Jim Grey there´s certainly a possibility that it might happen. Much great music begins with a quality vocalist and bearing that in mind Arcane are very fortunate to have Jim Grey.

There are many positive things to say about "Ashes" and overall I really enjoy the album, but unfortunately there´s one thing holding the album back from being really great. The sound production isn´t very powerful or well sounding and while I can live with that because the music is as convincing and well excecuted as it is, it´s still an issue that drags my rating down a bit. The sound is pretty powerless and some of the instruments (mainly the keyboards) sound detached from the rest of the instruments in the soundscape. So a 3.5 star (70%) rating is warranted. With a better sound production "Ashes" would have been a sure 4 star (80%) rating.

3 stars (6/10) Arcane is a band that I came across by using the list/filters function here on ProgArchives to find the 'top' albums from Australia (my glorious birthplace). It's a game I can strongly recommend playing if you're after a diverse range of excellent prog. Anyway, far ahead of all the other r ... (read more)

Report this review (#905454) | Posted by ScorchedFirth | Sunday, February 03, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ARCANE "Ashes"