THE PERILS OF TIME TRAVEL

-Russ Lynch: Violin and Viola
-Ellis Jasenovic: Tenor and Soprano Sax
-Andrew Digrius: Trumpet, Flugelhorn, and Synth

TYS # 884502978247

Thanks to chris s for the addition

THANK YOU SCIENTIST MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THANK YOU SCIENTIST The Perils Of Time Travel Music

Maps of Non-Existent PlacesMaps of Non-Existent Places
Evil Ink 2014

More places to buy THANK YOU SCIENTIST music online Buy THANK YOU SCIENTIST & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THANK YOU SCIENTIST DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THANK YOU SCIENTIST The Perils Of Time Travel ratings distribution

THANK YOU SCIENTIST The Perils Of Time Travel reviews

Review by Andy Webb
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
4 stars Leave the record on!

Thank You Scientist is a new, inventive progressive rock band based out of New Jersey. The seven piece, even in the prime of their musical youth, have shown to be highly experienced and mature about the music they create, crafting memorable tunes full of fantastic musicianship and energetic appeal. Fusing countless styles into their inventive music, the EP, The Perils of Time Travel, shows signs of everything from pop punk to prog metal. The music is wonderfully dense, full of beautiful melody, strong rhythms, and great instrumentation. With the wide array of instruments present in the band, the band is able to easily develop an eclectic sound, with each of the various sounds presented by the musicians showing up in the fantastic music. One can really see how each of the members has their own influences and their own vision for venturing into the perilous musical realm.

The diversity of this music is easily one of its best traits. As I said, each of the composers obviously have far reaching influences that truly mesh into wonderful music. From the subtle harmonies to the sweeping musicianship of each of the members, the music is unique, fun, and a real blast to listen to. The band shows that they love the music they make and have a fantastic time performing it. Not only do they enjoy playing it, I enjoy listening to it, which makes it all the better. The five short tracks pack a great punch, and are absolutely wonderful pieces of music.

Of course at a prog listener's viewpoint, this album is quite popularly accessible. The band obviously wants someone to listen to their music, because without the catchy, poppy melodies the music would most likely be intense avant-garde rock (which to me isn't bad, but many people would disagree with that particular style). The fantastic progression mixed in to that poppy quality, however, truly makes this EP a fantastic gem in the Crossover world. Crossover is a genre known for its diversity, and this band truly adds to that wonderful dynamic.

Overall, I truly enjoyed listening to this album. The wonderful, mature quality of the music is truly amazing. The young band, even on their debut, shows an incredible sense of experience and maturity in recording in composition. Many new bands fall into the pitfall of amateurish production, weak composition, or just a very immature atmosphere. This album really avoids all of that to rise onto the same level as many of the experienced bands releasing material this year. Thank You Scientist has easily become one of my favorite new bands, and I highly anticipate new material from this band! 4 stars.

Send comments to Andy Webb (BETA) | Report this review (#468900) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 24, 2011

Review by memowakeman
3 stars If only they would have included two more songs this good?

This would have been a wonderful record. I am saying this because since the first time I listened to "The Perils of Time Travel" I was attracted by its peculiar sound, and enjoyed the almost 30 minutes this EP offers, so I wanted more, when it finishes, you leave with the sensation they could have done more, because you noticed they are talented and have much more to explore and explode. That happened to me with this debut EP of American band Thank You Scientist, I actually wanted more songs.

But those are good news actually, because that means the band is in the right way, creating music that I liked and letting me with a good impression, looking now forward to hear more of their repertoire. This EP opens with "Grin" which is the shortest composition, though four of them have practically the same length. First we can listen to some words and then the band let us know their skills with a metal-like style but with a great addition of a saxophone. The bass sound is wonderful, along with the prominent guitar; a minute later vocals appear with a soft and mellow style, putting cadence and power at the same time to the music. The song flows mostly with a fast rhythm, but it has also some slower ones that perfectly complement it. A very nice introduction!

"Abbandonship!" has since the first seconds a sound much closer to the alternative rock rather than the progressive rock one at least in the first minutes. The melody is catchy and the voice here would suit for an emo or hardcore band, I am sorry if I am being harsh here. The best element of this track is the addition of sax, the nice guitar figures and the violin implemented in the last seconds. "Leave your Light on" is a much more interesting track, with some jazzy hints in the first moments, a very good guitar and some great winds and strings. Later it has some changes, in moments it is heavier and in others is more delicate, so it is a nice experimental track, with excellent two final minutes.

"Make Like Tree (Get Out)" has an attractive sound due to the guitar figures and the pretty cool bass lines, then the music flows and progresses becoming emotional and more intense; the guitarist has skills and he take advantage of them, that can be appreciated in the music. What I liked of the band since the first track was that implementation of a saxophone and a trumpet, because though they are not the main instruments, they produce rich textures and nuances that can be better appreciated with good headphones.

"Gemini" is the last, the longest, and probably the most ambitious song of this album. I love that great combination of the basic instruments with the winds and strings such as trumpet or viola, so jazz meets classical music meets progressive rock. The sound is really fresh here, challenging and provoking, one can easily be trapped under its charm. What I would ask them is to make more tracks like these, because this was the main guilty of my positive reaction regarding this EP, and after listening to this particular song, I wanted more. A great way to finish this record!

Overall I believe it is a very good EP, with more pros than cons, with a promising future and with things to improve, however, I would recommend it for people who want a new face of fresh and modern progressive rock. My final grade will be 3 stars, almost 4.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#780580) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 30, 2012

Post a review of THANK YOU SCIENTIST "The Perils Of Time Travel"