INTERNATIONAL DAYLIGHT

Good, but non-essential

Buy MINDGAMES Music
Studio Album, released in 2003

1. Mental Argue (5:02)
2. Factory Of Illness (11:22)
3. Signs From The Sky (7:59)
4. Beggars Breakfast (2:35)
5. An Approach To Mankind (12:39)
6. Dreaming The Circus (9:08)
7. Selling The Moon (17:23)

Search MINDGAMES International Daylight lyrics

- Ward Opsteyn / flugelhorn on 2
- Katelijne van Kerckhoven / cellon on 1, 4
- Fred Florus / vibraphone on 1, 2 and 5

Musea FGBG 4490.AR

MINDGAMES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MINDGAMES International Daylight Music

International DaylightInternational Daylight
CD Baby 2008

More places to buy MINDGAMES music online Buy MINDGAMES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MINDGAMES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MINDGAMES International Daylight ratings distribution

MINDGAMES International Daylight reviews

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars MINDGAMES' story dates back at the end of 1997,when they were found by bassist Eric Vandoormal and singer Bart Shram.Next to join were classical-trained keyboardist Tom Truyers and drummer Benny Petak.The band recorded a demo in 1999,while 2000 sees the arrival of guitarist Rudy Vander.In 2002 MINDGAMES recorded their debut ''International daylights'',which was worldwide distributed by Musea the following year.

Two years of endless composing ended up finally in a very satisfying result.Their style is certainly symphonic-oriented with some neo-prog delights added here and there.I can detect a lot of YES in this one:from the complex keyboard work of Truyers and the carefully arranged vocal arrangements of Schram to the intricate Howe-like guitar style of Vander.But the seven mostly long tracks have much more to offer than simply a few YES tones.Add some classical strings to the more mellow moments,mix it up with some pleasant guitar STEVE ROTHERY-like solos and MARTIN ORFORD-like synths and complete the picture with a pleasant KAYAK atmosphere to imagine the whole sound-picture.Track from track differs: some of them have a smooth ballad approach with fine piano and relaxed musicianship overall,while others present the symphonic intensity and grandiosity at its best through the keyboard/organ echoes and the Howe-like guitar playing.MINDGAMES are here to stay.Their debut is a very good example of modern symphonic rock painted with vintage influences,which will please most of you progheads out there.Recommended followed by 3.5 stars!

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#204668) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 28, 2009

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Quite eclectic band, Mindgames. Those belgians are good indeed and show an willingness to experiment, something rarely seen on debut CDs. Of course this is not all successful. In fact they seem to be struggling to find their own sound quite early. And clearly, they haven´t. Don´t get me wrong, the sound is mostly good, done by expert musicians. There are some great keyboards and guitar passages. Bass and drums are great too. The singer has a voice that is definitly not everyone´s cup of tea (a bit too high, sometimes trying to emulate too much Jon Anderson, if you know what I mean). It´s a matter of taste. It does not bother me.

This is not your common neo prog. There are many elements from severalr sources, like jazz, prog metal, symphonic rock of the 70´s, Beatles and even some psychodelic rock here and there. The only problem I found on this CD are the tunes: although good, it is obvious that those guys could go much further if they had waited a little while to mature them before recording. As it is International Daylight proves to be more promising than fullfilling. On the other hand the production is excellent and the playing is also top notch.

The band would eventually find their own style by the time of their second release, the excellent Actors in A Play. All the right ingredients are here, but they were still trying the new formula. Good, ok, but not essential in any way. final rating: something between 2,5 and 3 stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#244771) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 15, 2009

Review by progrules
3 stars Mindgames recently had their definite breakthrough with their 2010 album MMX, an album I will explore some day. Right now I will review the debut of this Belgian outfit playing in typical neo progressive style. This is regularly noticeable thanks to slightly emotional vocals accompanied by good guitar and keys producing semi-long compositions. These vocals are by no means poor but they aren't top notch either. Shall we say: somewhere in between ? Typical prog vocals like I stated in more of my reviews, vocals are more often the Achilles heel of progbands.

With Mindgames it's no different I'm afraid but I had hoped for and counted on somewhat more impressive compositions as well when I saw the running times of the songs which could indicate we're dealing with impressive stuff here. The compositions again aren't weak or poor but they aren't truly memorable or excellent either. Let's say I've heard better on all those neo bands and albums I witnessed before. The longest (closing) track is by far the best in this department and makes me doubt a bit to give the 4 stars anyway but I'm afraid the rest isn't really good enough to secure that. It's somewhere around the 3,5 mark to be exact but I wouldn't dare to recommend this to anyone as an excellent prog album. Pretty good neo prog is what this is so I will give three.

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#397003) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Post a review of MINDGAMES "International Daylight"