TOUCHSTONES

- Markus Steffen / guitars
- Ralf Schwager / bass
- Roel van Helden / drums
- David Bertok / keyboards

European release: September 30, 2011 via Golden Core/Zyx Records.
USA release: November 8th, 2011 via Entertainment One.

Thanks to Lynx33 for the addition

SUBSIGNAL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SUBSIGNAL Touchstones Music

Paraiso (Deluxe Edition)Paraiso (Deluxe Edition)
Goldencore Records (ZYX) 2013
SUBSIGNAL - PARAISO NEW CD US $29.24 Buy It Now 3 days
SUBSIGNAL - TOUCHSTONE - GCR200612CD US $18.43 Buy It Now 4 days
SUBSIGNAL - PARAISO - GCR200782CD US $22.46 Buy It Now 4 days
Subsignal - Paraiso CD 090204640836 US $24.13 Buy It Now 5 days
ParaĦso by Subsignal (Vinyl, Sep-2013, 2 Discs, Golden Core Records) US $17.98 Buy It Now 6 days
Subsignal - Beautiful & Monstrous CD ZYX/GOLDEN CORE US $18.60 Buy It Now 6 days
Subsignal - Paraiso [Vinyl New] US $20.93 Buy It Now 8 days
Beautiful & Monstrous - Subsignal New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $23.36 Buy It Now 11 days
Subsignal - Paraiso (Music CD) US $29.74 Buy It Now 13 days
Subsignal - Out There Must Be Something (+DVD) (Music CD) US $29.46 Buy It Now 13 days
Subsignal - Paraiso (Music CD) US $27.00 Buy It Now 13 days
Subsignal - Touchstones (Music CD) US $27.00 Buy It Now 13 days
SUBSIGNAL - PARAISO NEW VINYL US $26.22 Buy It Now 15 days
ParaĦso by Subsignal (CD, Jan-2014, Golden Core Records) US $9.66 Buy It Now 16 days
SUBSIGNAL - PARAISO NEW CD US $20.81 Buy It Now 16 days
Subsignal - Paraiso [CD New] US $12.58 Buy It Now 16 days
SUBSIGNAL - BEAUTIFUL & MONSTROUS - NEW CD US $12.95 Buy It Now 18 days
Subsignal - Paraiso CD 880831088022 US $17.04 Buy It Now 21 days
Touchstones by Subsignal (CD, Nov-2011, C&B Productions) US $10.67 Buy It Now 23 days
SUBSIGNAL - PARAISO (DLX) NEW CD US $23.11 Buy It Now 23 days
PARAISO DELUXE VERSION - Subsignal US $12.99 Buy It Now 23 days
Subsignal - Paraiso Deluxe Version [CD New] US $13.81 Buy It Now 23 days
Touchstones - Subsignal New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $21.88 Buy It Now 25 days
Subsignal - Paraiso (Deluxe Edition) (NEW 2CD) US $25.32 Buy It Now 26 days
Paraiso - Subsignal New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $27.72 Buy It Now 26 days
Subsignal - Touchstones [CD New] US $13.60 Buy It Now 26 days
Subsignal - Paraiso NEW CD US $19.09 Buy It Now 26 days
SUBSIGNAL - TOUCHSTONES NEW CD US $23.11 Buy It Now 27 days
Subsignal - Touchstones CD US $18.74 Buy It Now 27 days
SUBSIGNAL - Lilac - 12" US $14.11 Buy It Now 28 days
SUBSIGNAL - TOUCHSTONES [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $15.45 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy SUBSIGNAL music online Buy SUBSIGNAL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SUBSIGNAL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SUBSIGNAL Touchstones ratings distribution

SUBSIGNAL Touchstones reviews

Review by Gatot
4 stars Well crafted composition backed with excellent performance

When I was first introduced to this band by a colleague prog head, he reckoned that this is a good neo-prog band. I was just a bit skeptical when I first heard the term 'neo-prog' where it depicted clear picture into my mind that would be music which comprises dragging long sustained keyboard work in relatively slow paced music - like what i had with the music of Cosmograf - that was quite boring to me ....or maybe my mood is now more on heavier side of prog with bands like Symphony X or Hakken and the like. But I then gave it a try couple of days ago. It amazed me with the kind of energy this band has throughout the tracks they offer through this album. To my surprise I could stay with the album until the last track because I could sense the joy of listening to the album. Then I tried to find who actually the band is.

From its official site, the band was originally intended as a side project in 2007 by the former Sieges Even-members Arno Menses (Vocals) and Markus Steffen (Guitars). The first result of this collaboration was the song ?A Wallflower On The Day Of Saint Juliana', which made its way to the 2007 Sieges Even album 'Paramount' under the title ?Eyes Wide Open'. The two gentle men left Sieges Even in summer 2008, looking for adequate musicians to turn SUBSIGNAL into to a real, functional band. The first guy to join the new outfit was bass player Ralf Schwager, known for his work with German progband Dreamscape. The line-up was completed with Drummer Roel van Helden, known for his collaboration with Dutch band Sun Caged, and Dreamscape's David Bertok on keyboards.

Even though the music of Subsignal is different than Yes but the way the vocal line sings reminds me to Jon ANderson. That's why my first impression was just like Yes plays neo- prog / progressive metal because there are clearly many heavy riffs throughout this album that reminds me to Chile's Crisalida. Last month I was introduced to Cosmograf and there waere many good reviews down here which it's hard for me to find my agreement as the music was so mellow and made me sleepy and tired having to listen another neo-prog music. But this one by Subsignal is different as the album demonstrates high energy neo- prog music like what Marillion pioneered during Fish era. Of course this one is not like Marillion as there are many heavy riffs that remind us to progressive metal.

I found myself engrossed with the music since the opening track until middle of the album without having a sort of bored situation and it continued nicely until the concluding track. From the opening track "Feeding Utopia" that basically a straight forward neo-prog music it moves nicely to "My Sanctuary" and finally I reached track 5 "As Dreams Are Made On" where I found great orchestration in the middle of relatively tempo music offered by this track. It then moves into mellow track "Wingless". I really find joy in listening to the album as the music is quite varied in style, combining the mellow and heavy riffs from all tracks provided here in the album. This is represented with track 7 "Finisterre". The album's title track "Touchstones" reminds me to the kind of Pallas music especially in the ambient opening track with keyboard solo. The music flows nicely from mellow into a bit of heavier part using guitar riffs but still maintaining great overall melody just before the vocal enters. For me, this is an interesting track from start to end with various tempo changes, vocal line reminds me to Jon Anderson in some segments. There are parts with simple piano touches that make the music sounds richer. The concluding track "Con Todas Las Palabras" as an excellent track that reminds me to Yes - but of course this album is MUCH better than the latest Yes "Fly From Here" album.

In conclusion, I consider this album as an excellent addition to any progressive music collection with neo-prog subgenre. Well, actually there are many heavy riffs that may sound to you like a progressive metal music. Fans of neo-prog must have this album - and see how different the music with other typical neo prog music that usually boring and sleepy. Keep on proggin' ...!!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#580779) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 03, 2011

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Touchstones' - Subsignal (8/10)

Although German progsters Subsignal have been assigned to the label of the middling neo-prog style, this band has much more up their sleeve than the typical act of that scene. In fact, it may not be such a stretch to call Subsignal a progressive metal band; after all, their two founding members Arno Menses and Markus Steffen are formerly part of metal powerhouse Sieges Even. Seeking to continue their music together after leaving Sieges, the pair enlisted the help of other musicians, and thus, Subsignal was born. 'Touchstones' is this band's second album, and here, Menses and Steffen have realized the potential of their new melodic aims. To be honest, there were so many prog albums throughout 2011 that- while not necessarily 'poor'- never sought to move me. More often than not, they were albums which went the melodic route with prog rock, using the 'epic' format as more of a gimmick, and replacing technical achievement with bland AOR tropes. What I'm getting at is that while I was practically setting myself up to dislike 'Touchstones' without knowing a thing about the band, they have created a remarkable piece of progressive, melodic metal here. Although 2011 is now over, I suspect that 'Touchstones' would have crept its way up my year end list, had I only heard it a couple of months earlier.

The sound of Subsignal reminds me greatly of modern prog darlings Haken, and their collision of epic progressive metal and softer melodic atmosphere. For those more invested in prog rock terms, both of these bands merge progressive metal and neo-prog together, creating something that manages to sport strong melodic hooks and clean sound without sacrificing the complexity or technical display of the musicians at work. As any fan of Sieges Even could have bet, the musicianship on 'Touchstones' is levelled at a very high standard. The compositions are focused primarily on melody, and while you won't hear the ten minute instrumental indulgences made infamous by Dream Theater, there is never any doubt that these are some of the best musicians in progressive music today. Roel van Helden's drum work was pleasantly reminiscent of Mike Portnoy's wild style. Menses and Steffen get the limelight throughout virtually the entire album. David Bertok's keyboards are the most inconspicuous aspect of the sound, adding atmosphere and depth to the sound, but rarely stepping forth. Although I would have cared for a few more spotlight's on Ralf Schwager's evidently impressive bass work, Subsignal never feels dominated by any ego from anyone.

The songwriting on 'Touchstones' is consistent, although the overbearing length and somewhat singular approach of the album tends to make the songs run together. The eleven minute title track 'Touchstones' earns my vote for the highlight, though. Although it is a fairly long song, the time is used well; those minutes aren't wasted on instrumental noodling, but instead work towards developing melodies and atmosphere. It is here where Subsignal's symphonic undertones come out most brightly as well, with a beautiful symphonic instrument acting in sharp contrast to the otherwise gloomy sounds of the guitar. Barring an album length that could have reasonably had twenty minutes shaved off, this is among the greatest melodic prog/metal albums to have come out in 2011. It's a shame I didn't get around to hearing it earlier, but there's little doubt in my mind that I will be enjoying this album well into 2012.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#608417) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012

4 stars Subsignal is a marriage between two excellent, but below-the-radar prog metal bands, Sieges Even and Dreamscape. More precise, the marriage of their more melodic parts - the pop vocal of Arno Menses, the mood-creating guitar of Marcus Steffen and the strong keys of David Bertok, who, according t ... (read more)

Report this review (#1031752) | Posted by Progrussia | Tuesday, September 10, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 8/10 With Touchstones, Subsignal continues to evolve its brilliant sound that not only contains a progression of what was being tarabalhado by Sieges Even in his later albums but also introduces new elements, presenting an accessibility combined with a dose masterful technique, melody and e ... (read more)

Report this review (#1031234) | Posted by voliveira | Monday, September 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I find it fascinating that there was a lot of buzz about this album in Progressive Metal circles, and yet here it is on Prog Archives being classified as Neo Prog. To me, the fact that this band seems to transcend genre classification is a mark of greatness. This is an extremely polished, well-engin ... (read more)

Report this review (#594985) | Posted by dtguitarfan | Friday, December 23, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Good, polished "second-tier" prog rock. Nothing more nothing less. Nothing new; all sounding so very familiar. Certainly nothing to write home about--unless heavy neo-prog is your thing. For me, it just conjured up many memories of walking down the college dormitory halls back in the 70s: Journe ... (read more)

Report this review (#571023) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Saturday, November 19, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars From the beginning I want to say that SUBSIGNAL-TOUCHSTONES is the best prog album of the 2011 year and one of the best in the history of this pretentious musical genre!BEAUTIFUL AND MONSTROUS-the debut of this amazing band- was a musical jewel,but this second one is touching perfection!To be ... (read more)

Report this review (#550835) | Posted by Ovidiu | Saturday, October 15, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars We were waiting for it! And Subsignal gave us the evidence that the Sieges Even experience is not over. The two skippers, Arno Menses (voice, and what a voice) and Markus Steffen (guitar), in 2007 changed the whole lineup, both from a personnel and instruments point of view adding the keyboards, ... (read more)

Report this review (#549615) | Posted by bigmo | Thursday, October 13, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars From a promo copy. Well their second work. And excellent as the first one. Nice melodies,excellent musicianship . In a line of mix of neo prog ..with heavy prog and crossover. This work is quite surprising as the first one ...quite original modern prog rock. But in my opinion ... (read more)

Report this review (#540824) | Posted by robbob | Monday, October 03, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SUBSIGNAL "Touchstones"