RISVEGLIO

Egonon Risveglio album cover

Buy EGONON Music
Studio Album, released in 2011

1. Phosforo (4:15)
2. Lacrime di Luce (6:49)
3. Risveglio (4:28)
4. Alma Senza Virtu' (4:37)
5. L'Uomo Libero (5:24)
6. Voglio Essere Piccolo (4:05)
7. Golgotha (4:55)
8. Khamsin (1:31)
9. Maya (3:54)
10. Rosso Asfalto (5:40)
11. Tra la Notte e l'Alba (4:03)
12. Tutto Cio' Che Avevo Era un'Anima (3:39)
13. Sul Lato Caldo Della Strada (3:51)
14. L'Abito Bianco (4:35)
15. Coda: 42 km! (2:03)

Search EGONON Risveglio lyrics

Search EGONON Risveglio tabs

- Fabio Calo' / vocals, guitars, piano, percussion, oud, sitar, sarangi, mellotron
- Roberto Parolin / drums
- Andrea Ghion / bass
- David Boato / trombone, flugelhorn (1, 5, 6, 7, 11, 15)
- Luigi Sella / tenor sax, soprano sax, clarinet 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14)
- Alvise Stiffoni / cello (2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 12)
- Stefano Crespan / bansoori (2, 3, 9)
- Michele Bonivento / piano (5)
- Davide Artusato / voice (3)
- Iman Mohammad / voice (3, 7, 9)
- Sheikh albahlool / voice (8)
- Mohammad Ghazil / darbuka (8, 14)

CD self-released

Thanks to Todd for the addition

EGONON MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy EGONON Risveglio Music

RisveglioRisveglio
CD Baby 2011

More places to buy EGONON music online Buy EGONON & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for EGONON DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

EGONON Risveglio ratings distribution

EGONON Risveglio reviews

Review by Todd
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano!
5 stars Amazing new RPI voice

EGONON combines the best of the Italian progressive tradition with modern sensibilities and eclectic influences. Although "Risveglio," their first album, was self-produced, the sound is very professional. The band continues in the grand Italian tradition of incorporating Mediterranean (including Middle Eastern) influences, sounds, melodies, and instruments into their songs--besides the normal rock staples, we hear mellotron, cello, sax, trumpet, flugelhorn, oud, sitar, sarangi, and darbuka. The result is a wonderful blend of old and new, exotic and familiar, melodic and jarring--in short an excellent Rock Progressivo Italiano adventure.

As for the music, there is beautiful melody as seemingly only the Italians can do (listen to the chorus of "Voglio Essere Piccolo"); hard driving crunchy guitars (beginning of the same song); guitars doubled by sax ("Rosso Asfalto"); melodic acoustic guitars over a lush mellotron background ("Lacrime di Luce"). There are many Middle Eastern instruments, singing, and melodies ("Golgotha," "Khamsin"), even some Italian folk melodies.

Lyrically, according to lyricist and songwriter Fabio Calo', the album begins a "quadrilogy that sets a whole initiation process through Music; a different way to see spirituality, more of a Solar Hero's ultimate fight rather than a monk making Om on a solitary hill. . . . It hits your darkest parts soundly and lifts them up to the sky sublimated." Sung mostly in Italian, the lyrics are personal, meaningful, and poignant, adding another dimension to an already pleasantly diverse work.

All in all, this album is a phenomenal debut from a band that I look forward to hearing from in the future. I include Egonon with Gran Turismo Veloce, Absenthia, La Coscienza di Zeno, Il Tempio delle Clessidre, and Lagartija as the vanguard of the excellent new music coming from Italy. I can't actually imagine them getting any better. Five stars.

Send comments to Todd (BETA) | Report this review (#536614) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Review by memowakeman
5 stars Oh Italy, you are so lovely!

And I am not a one-day fan of Italian prog, no, I am a truly follower of that progressive rock scene because they are always bringing new, fresh and original music, of course, with elements taken from past influences, but with an own and rising sound. Egonon is a new band whose music surpasses the RPI cannon, and includes an interesting blend of symphonic rock, with folk elements, jazzy moments and even some avant-garde tunes. They released in 2011 their debut album entitled 'Risveglio', whose 15 tracks will make you have a satisfying experience.

It opens with 'Phosforo' which is a wonderful opener song. Piano, percussion, strings and a great voice begin to build up this track. There are soft moments which later are contrasted with heavier ones in which electric guitars appear; there is also a brief passage where English lyrics appear, but well, I love Italian language, so I always prefer bands sing in their native language, it gives uniqueness. After some four minutes when you don't think about it, you are already listening to 'Lacrime di Luce' which is one of my favorite tracks of this album. Here I love the keyboards as background, the sometimes delicate sometimes heavy guitars, and of course I love Fabio Calo's voice. The song is very well crafted and gives as a result a wonderful composition.

With only two tracks, one can feel satisfied and wait for more good tunes. The next track is 'Risveglio', it features a sitar that produces an obvious mid-east sound complemented by percussion, however, seconds later it makes a drastic change making a heavier sound with electric guitar and strong vocals. The variety of musical and cultural elements in this song is worth highlighting, because we can listen to the 'ordinary' instruments, but in some moments they bring a flute, a sax, a sitar, and even a guest male voice that all together make an outstanding track, whose four minutes are a proof of the top-notch quality of Egonon.

'Alma senza virt'' continues with that particular Egonon sound which does not stand in only one style. Here we can listen again to sax, plus a wonderful viola, as well as the conventional instruments. One of the things I really appreciate is how the album easily flows, I mean, we are listening to a giant track divided in 15 episodes which are connected each other, here all of them are essential for the album's success. 'L'uomo Libero' is an example of that perfect fluency, and another of my favorite tracks, especially after two minutes when sax enters and a true dynamic passage is created.

'Voglio essere piccolo' has a powerful starting but it is softened seconds later, though guess what, it is like a roller coaster with moments of high and low intensity that is transmitted to the listener, so one can feel what the music suggests, no matter if you understand Italian or not. I am about to say that this is another of my favorite tracks, but well, which isn't? 'Golgotha' starts with a delicate saxophone for almost a minute, then guitars, drums, bass and voice enter, along with that particular mid-eastern flavor. Here we can listen how they enjoy experimenting and trespass boundaries.

'Khamsin' is the shortest track, but it is a very peculiar one nonetheless due to the addition of a disarming African voice, I ignore the language, but it sounds terrific. It is liked to 'Maya' where the Italian lyrics return but the mid-east sound is still there. Here, besides those sounds and cultural styles we can listen to a jazzy passage thanks to the saxophone, but later a violin and female vocals produce once again the folkish sound. Man, what a great mixture of elements, sounds, textures, cultures, styles, nuances, etc.

'Rosso asfalto' has a powerful introduction with the sax, drums and bass, later it slows down and little by little it begins to progress once again. The mellotron background is wonderful in the whole album, as well as the voice. There is a short pause after 4 minutes, later some spoken voices are heard and the song softly vanishes. 'Tra la note e l'Alba' continues with that soft sound in the beginning, but later it progresses little by little, adding electric guitar riffs, heavier tunes that all of a sudden are combined and contrasted with some experimental moments, like the entrance of sax.

'Tutto cio che avevo era un'anima' starts again with a delicate sound, with violoncello accompanying voice and guitar, later mellotron joins and creates a wonderful choral background. The last minute is vertiginous, faster and with some cool backing vocals. 'Sul lato caldo della strada' combines once again Italian and English lyrics, while the music lies in a mellotron atmosphere, along with rockish guitars (acoustic and electric), jazzy saxophone and nice bass lines.

'L'abito bianco' has a kind of sacred sound in the beginning, but later a new structure is being built with a delicate and mellow sound that in moments is even sensual with the addition of the clarinet. However, as usual they change and produce different sounds and moods, which is part of the own style of Egonon. The album finishes with 'Coda: 42km' a two-minute ending track that is like the final experiment of the band. Case closed, turn the page, and wait for their new album.

What a wonderful experience I had with this album, now I am eagerly expecting for the new Egonon work, which will be sure a guarantee of good music. My final grade will be five stars, masterpiece!

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#628940) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Risveglio' - Egonon (8/10)

Although prog rock may not receive the same recognition today that it did in its prime, Italy is one place where the progressive tradition still holds strong. In fact, bands like EGONON go to prove that the Italy prog scene is going through another 'great age'. Among acts like IL TEMPIO DE CLESSIDRE and HOSTSONATEN, EGONON are pursuing the 'prog' sound boldly, without falling into many of its cliches. 'Risveglio' is the first effort by this band, although the professional approach and sense of adventure seems indicative of a band much more experienced. Lively, diverse and full of surprises, 'Risveglio' is a near-masterpiece from a band that is worth keeping an eye on.

Regardless of quality, I cannot say I would have been surprised, had EGONON pursued a 'symphonic' brand of prog rock here, as many of their contemporaries have done. Mellotrons and the theatrical Italian-language vocals typical of Italian progressive music are both here in great amounts, but this band may have as much in common with TOOL or even SYSTEM OF A DOWN as they do with PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI, or the 'classic' Italian bands. At first, hearing EGONON's grungy approach to the prog formula is puzzling, but they know how to make it work. Inching over the hour mark, 'Risveglio' boasts the performances of many talented musicians and instrumentation ranging from the typical guitars and keyboards, to trumpets, cellos, and sitar. EGONON seem determined to keep their sound from falling into any one style. Suffice to say, there are few albums out there where a listener is treated to grungy alt rock and Arabic folk music within the same disc.

'Voglio Essere Piccolo' may be my favourite cut from 'Risveglio', balancing out passionate anger and beauty in equal measure. Barring that, it is difficult to pinpoint 'highlights' within 'Risveglio'. The sheer variety and constant switching up of sound and style makes EGONON's music best approached idea-by-idea. Some of the more conservatively minded RPI proggers may find EGONON's modern approach to be a little too aggressive and promiscuous with style, but 'Risveglio' is one of the most interesting modern statements to come out of Italy's prog rock scene over the past year.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#747059) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 30, 2012

4 stars This is an album that has that dark mood I like and they keep it interesting with those Middle Eastern instruments and sound. This really was a trip though that offers up plenty of atmosphere and power as the mood and tempo shift often. This is never boring and it's quite adventerous. I can't praise this album enough and there's mellotron too.

"Phosforo" eventually is led by drums followed by reserved vocals. Piano, horns and more. Great sound. It's surprisingly heavy before 2 minutes and this will come and go. Nice grinding guitar late. "Lacrime Di Luce" opens with what sounds like someone trying to find a radio station. It kicks in before a minute then settles back with vocals as contrasts continue. I like the clarinet that comes and goes. Killer track. "Risveglio" has a Middle Eastern sounding intro then the drums kick in at a minute. Here we go ! The heaviness continues to be contrasted with the more laid back sections. "Alma Senza Virtu" has sparse cello to start followed by melodic guitar and reserved vocals. It's building with horns. Guitar before 4 minutes. "L'uomo Libero" has reserved vocals and flute as a beat joins in and more. It kicks in at a minute then settles back again. It then picks up before 2 1/2 minutes. Great sound. It settles again before 4 minutes. "Voglio Essere Piccolo" kicks in right away with a heavy sound then the vocals come in as it settles some. The tempo and mood continue to change. "Golgotha" has mournful sounding horns to start then it kicks in hard before a minute. Vocals arrive as it settles back. Violin-like sounds after 2 minutes then it turns jazzy after 3 1/2 minutes then heavy again. The sound of the wind blowing ends it.

"Khamsin" is a short piece with mournful vocals. "Maya" has spoken words, strings and bass as it builds. It kicks in with vocals before a minute. Spoken words as it calms down again. Contrasts continue. "Rosso Asfalto" is an amazing track where the heaviness comes and goes. "Tra La Notte E T'alba" opens with the usual chunky bass and deep sounding drums. Vocals join in. It picks up with horns. Grinding guitar after 2 1/2 minutes then it turns jazzy before 3 1/2 minutes. Kicks back in. "Tutto Cio Che Avevo Era Un'anima" is a vocal track where the tempo changes often. Guitar after 2 minutes. It ends with laughter and i'm laughing too. "Sul Lato Caldo Della Strada" has a dark intro that builds. So good. Reserved vocals join in then it turns powerful before settling back again as contrasts continue. Horns before 2 1/2 minutes then guitar. "L'abito Bianco" has these repeated words as vocal melodies join in. Very Middle Eastern sounding then the horns come in. "Coda : 42 Km !" ends the album with atmosphere and experimental sounds.

An incredible release from Italy, maybe there's too many Middle Eastern references for my tastes but man they do keep things interesting. Great album!

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#773248) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 18, 2012

Review by Warthur
5 stars This brilliant debut release from Egonon convinces me that the band are truly one to watch for all RPI lovers. Incorporating a diverse range of instruments into their sound - including oud, sitar, sarangi, trombone, flugelhorn, cello, bansoori and darkuka - might have come across as gimmicky if Egonon didn't do such an absolutely superb job of incorporating their sounds into their music. And the instrumentation isn't the only unusual influence they bring to bear; evolving the classic RPI sound of yesteryear by incorporating substantially more heavy elements (including one memorable segment which resembles a metalcore breakdown backed by some gorgeous classical acoustic guitar), Egonon demonstrate that they aren't a simple nostalgia act either. Drawing on musical influences spanning decades and sounding thoroughly modern with it, Egonon prove with this album that the RPI scene has plenty of surprises to offer yet.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#830932) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 30, 2012

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars We all know the story of the turtle and the hare, but when you get older (aka hopefully wiser), one realizes that this classic old school cliche is actually a truism of the highest order. It does not really matter how long to takes to get to a specific place as long as you get there. This is my intro to Egonon, an album I noticed a while back in 2011 that was getting a lot of ink and consideration as a new RPI wonder find. I pay a lot of attention to the reviews as it's my ultimate shopping guide in purchasing 5 star albums! This debut recording finally landed in my mailbox and it does not disappoint, a dark, brooding and exalted offering from main man Fabio Calo, a talented multi-instrumentalist, composer and vocalist who happens to have a style all his own, classic RPI blended with middle eastern (oud, darbouka) and Indian (sarangi, sitar) tendencies. There is a dark vibe, full of overt passion, rage and fire that gives the arrangements a pulse that is quite intoxicating. In fact, there are some hard guitar blasts, occasional mellotron storms, blistering playing that winks at classic Mel Collins-flavored King Crimson, while coloring Italian folk melodies that tell stories of romance, family, inner search, renaissance and spirit. In other words, the usual prog suspects! The main man is surrounded by a stellar group, namely slick bassist Andrea Ghion and poly-rhythmic master Roberto Parolin, furthered by a brass, string and reed crew of soloists that add a profound sense of spice and aroma. Some pieces like "Khasim" and "Maya" have outright Arabic influences in the chanting female vocals, the charmed cobra guitar breaks and the rhythmic pulsations of a Marrakesh bazaar.

As stated so boldly on their website bio, Egonon is not a band but an impulse.

Obscure, murky and dissonant, "Phosforo" sets the tone for the album to be, with tinny trumpet details, rash guitars, mellotron blasts and hysteric rhythmic work. The hushed vocals reveal a deep pain, merging both English and Italian lyrics (now, THAT is cool!), ending with an appropriate phosphorescent Frippoid axe sliding into second with studs showing!

"Lacrime di Luce" is a highlight track here, a melancholic mellotron-driven piece that could be an Italian version of an Anekdoten tune. The same misty mood pervades the forlorn sadness, with aggressive rhythmic guitars allied to acoustic soloing and Calo singing his heart out. A percussion laden mid-section straight out of classic KC redirects the mood into a dreamier plane, sweeping mellotron and an explosive chorus , full of pomp and emotion. How can this not impress?

The sitar introduces the title track with sweltering efficiency, suddenly augmented by a harsh and repetitive guitar blast, bubbling bass guitar and both male and female voices howling in the wind to the highest effect. Its companion piece is "Alma Senza Vertu", an ethnically challenged Italian prog song, full of longing, passion and pain, shattered by a searing saxophone and a heart stopping chorus. Calo really knows how to emote and it helps when the melody is so well focused and constructed to please.

The highlight piece is most definitely "L'Uomo Libero" , a breathtaking track constructed out of a gorgeous melody and immaculate singing , with the expansive mellotron howling in the wind, playful contrasts that blend jazz, folk and rock, augmented by stellar lyrical material about 'having the courage to lose one's battles and find the angels of freedom in the end'. The sheer expression of emotions is heard in the stunning vocals, the blaring of the trumpet and another saturated Frippian solo. The guitar provides the segue almost immediately into the obsessive and almost angry "Voglio Essere Piccolo", once more powerfully shoving the message along, fueled by Roberto Parolin's monster drumming, solid and explosive. There are some possessed chanting that hints at Magma, Calo urging, pleading and crying out madly. Glockenspiel puts this to bed. Phew! What a voyage!

A solo trumpet seems to be playing Taps, appropriate since the song deals with Jesus's first resting place "Golgotha", so it goes without saying that there is a lot on Holy Land influences, wailing Arabic voices, assorted Middle Eastern instruments flailing away atop the mount of Olives, psychotic sax blowouts, hurricane guitar flashes, and manic lead vocals that speed by at a blistering pace.

"Rossa Asfalto" is another heavyweight monster track with booming operatic male voice, castigating guitars, mellotron torrents and an enormous brass outbreak (sax, trumpet), showing admiration for classic Italian prog acts like Area, Deus Ex-Machina and the recent Ingranaggi delle Valle. This is such an inspiring track, a platform for Calo's voice trembling passionately (as well as his choir work) while his guitar madly weeps and the Mach 3 speeding rhythm section plowing crazily. This could easily be a track from one of Universal Totem Orchestra's 2 albums. When the mandolin makes a brief appearance, abeted by some swirling wah-wah guitar, I kneel to the shrine! Bloody brilliant! The piece ends with a long phone conversation. Beep!

"Tra La Notte e L'Alba" is a manic segue, full of sparkling sizzle, magical insanity and dense contrasts. Lots of mellotron here, brassy guitar and startling sax and trumpet work. Brit jazz- rockers Nucleus gone heavy and Italian! Yeah, that good! Its companion piece the deeply disturbing "Tutto Cio che avevo era un'anima " just kicks it up a notch, as the mighty mellotron again plays a major in role in elevating the emotions to near unbearable heights, juicily added at appropriate moments and wholly unexpected within the course of the dissonant madness expressed. Frippoid guitar adds zest and zing to it all, culminating in angry howling vocals that rage and fulminate.

On the colder side of the street, Calo shows off his 'softer' side, a heavy ballad "Sul Lato Caldo della Strada", again tossing in English lyric tidbits, giving this so much universal appeal 'over the rainbow', the saxophone playing another massive and controlling part, pushing the theme in jazzier expanses, pulled back by brief and incendiary rock guitar phrasings and captained by a voice that leads by example and expression.

"L'Abito Bianco" has insanity in its whispered hushes, choir mellotron blazing, acoustic guitar and lonely voice. Tortuous contrasts, heavenly moments wrestling with abysmal plunges, constant and unending variations and unexpected surprises. Magma on speed, with Nucleus influences and healthy blasts of vintage Collins-era King Crimson and current Anekdoten.

I was expecting some confusing miasma of sounds that would somehow astound me and that is exactly what I got! Fabio Calo promises 3 more future revelations and I, among countless others around the globe, await them with open and anxious arms. One word to describe this debut: a Revelation. The foundation here is spot on progressive, pulsating modern versions of old school Italian RPI traditions, sensational vocal work, intense instrumentation from the core players, a fabulous drummer and playfully intelligent arranging. The dictatorial presence of the heavenly mellotron is the ultimate clincher.

5 Awakenings

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#1165862) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 26, 2014

5 stars The best album to come out in the 2010s thus far, one of the most pleasant surprises I have experienced in my prog journey (perhaps only surpassed by the discovery of the Cardiacs) and an album that deserves only the highest praise and the top recommendation. I grew up with grunge, study middle ... (read more)

Report this review (#1151341) | Posted by MJAben | Thursday, March 20, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars WOW! BRAVO ITALY!!! BRAVO EGONON!!! First I'd like to say that I'm sure that my review won't do this very fine piece of artwork justice! Next, I'd like to say that I absolutely love this album! Without much hesitation, I believe that this recording, although using a completely moder ... (read more)

Report this review (#931137) | Posted by HarmonyDissonan | Saturday, March 16, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars One thing is certain about the composition and execution of this album's songs: There is nothing simple or easy here! Each song packs in so much subtlety and so many twists that the listener barely has time to get used to a groove or melody when it's gone. If I have one complaint about Risviglio it ... (read more)

Report this review (#885553) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Tuesday, January 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of EGONON "Risveglio"