SOON OVER BABALUMA

Can Soon Over Babaluma album cover

Buy CAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1974

1. Dizzy Dizzy (5:40)
2. Come sta, La Luna (5:44)
3. Splash (7:47)
4. Chain Reaction (11:12)
5. Quantum Physics (8:33)

Search CAN Soon Over Babaluma lyrics

Search CAN Soon Over Babaluma tabs

- Holger Czukay / bass
- Michael Karoli / guitar, violin, vocals on No. 1, 4
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards, vocals on No. 2

Mute Records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Soon Over Babaluma Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute U.S. 2008
Phil Collins: You Can't Hurry Love / Do You Know, Do You Care? 7" 45 NM Canada US $2.99 Buy It Now 29m 59s
NANCY WILSON I can't Teach My old Heart new tricks PROMO DJ CD single SEALED 91 US $19.99 Buy It Now 30m 53s
PRESIDENTS MINORITY BUSINESS ENTERPRISE IT CAN BE LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 31m 12s
MARVIN GAYE & TAMMI TERRELL*THE ONION SONG*I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU*TMG 715*SOUL*MINT US $10.02 Buy It Now 33m 9s
The Real Thing - Can't Get By Without You - UK 7" Single - 7P352 ex/ex US $8.52 Buy It Now 33m 33s
HURD soul 45 DEE DEE WARWICK - I Can't Go Back + I Who Have Nothing NICE US $8.00 [1 bids]
33m 40s
12 Inch Kool Moe Dee Can U Feel It 4 Mixes US $5.75 Buy It Now 33m 42s
New Sealed CD The Greatest Kids Songs I Can SIng! I Can Sing! US $9.34 Buy It Now 33m 57s
The Beat Can't get Used To Losing You VINYL 7" 1983 UK GoFeet 2Tone FEET17 EX US $6.69 Buy It Now 33m 58s
12 Inch Kool Skool You Can't Buy My Love 5 Mixes US $3.75 Buy It Now 34m 12s
Linx - Can't Help Myself - UK 7" Single - CHS2565 ex/ex US $4.89 Buy It Now 34m 23s
1981 7" Christopher Cross Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do) P-1568W Japan US $4.99 Buy It Now 34m 24s
The Four Tops - Don't Walk Away - UK 7" Single - CAN1006 ex/ex US $4.89 Buy It Now 34m 29s
Sammy Davis Jr No One Can Live Forever/ Unforgettable 7" PROMO Reprise 20370 UK US $10.02 Buy It Now 35m 8s
Wayne Newton Can't You Hear The Song? LP RCA US $10.02 Buy It Now 35m 8s
Genesis - I Can't Dance - UK 7" Single - GENS7 ex/ex US $8.52 Buy It Now 36m 57s
NOS THE O'JAYS....I CAN'T STAND THE PAIN US $6.00 Buy It Now 37m 11s
Van Halen - Why Can't This Be Love - UK 7" Single - W8740 ex/m US $9.44 Buy It Now 37m 42s
Peter Frampton - I Can't Stand It No More - Spain 7" Single - AMS7604 vg/m US $13.97 Buy It Now 38m 3s
NED TOWNS - I JUST CAN'T LET YOU GO - 1968 VG on SKILLET A side CLAUDIA WHITTEN US $3.99 Buy It Now 38m 12s
GENESIS I Can't Dance CD SINGLE US $0.99 [0 bids]
39m 21s
Kenny dale-only love can break a heart-lp-sealed mint US $4.99 Buy It Now 39m 36s
MIGHTY POPE - Can't Get By Without You / Tower Of Strength - PROMO 1977 on RCA US $9.95 Buy It Now 39m 58s
Flatt & Scruggs - You Can Feel It In Your Soul - 1987 CASSETTE Bluegrass US $3.00 Buy It Now 40m 43s
Massive Dread "Can't Stop Massive Dread" Reggae 12" Stars mp3 US $7.99 [0 bids]
42m 36s
LEO SAYER-I Can't Stop Loving You (THrough I Try)/No Looking Back 7" EX Cond US $5.00 Buy It Now 44m 44s
Peter Frampton Vinyl 45rpm"I Can't Stand It No More"&"May I Baby" 1979 A&M US $2.99 [0 bids]
45m 13s
Michael Jackson You Can't Win 12" Epic Original NM US $9.99 Buy It Now 47m 36s
Northern Soul 45 The Falcons I Can't Help It Standing On Guard Big Wheel NM- US $9.99 [0 bids]
48m 44s
Aretha Franklin- Can't See Myself Leaving You- Mono 45 US $2.99 Buy It Now 49m 16s
ELVIS PRESLEY 50,000,000 ELVIS FANS CAN'T BE WRONG RCA LSP 2075 (e) WH LETTER US $5.99 [0 bids]
49m 16s
Nathalie Archangel-i Can't Reach You-promo 12"-columbia US $4.99 Buy It Now 49m 17s
Anyone Can Whistle-original Cast-shrink Lp-columbia US $4.99 Buy It Now 49m 17s
SEBASTIAN & HOUSE ROCKERS. THE BEST MAN CRIED / NOBODY CAN DO THE DOG LIKE I. US $23.80 Buy It Now 50m 17s
12" SINGLE: LISA LEE When Can I Call You 1990 NUGROOVE US $5.95 Buy It Now 51m 21s
FAST ONES Can't Stop Rock Indiana punk demo CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 52m 5s
7"-Single THE BEATLES - We Can Work It Out / Day Tripper (1965 / RI1976) UK PS US $9.99 Buy It Now 52m 25s
Jerry Lee Lewis ROCKABILLY 45 (Sun 1115) I Can't Seem To Say Goodbye VG+ US $6.95 Buy It Now 53m 44s
PIERCE ARROW Can't Break The Habit b/w Everyday, Everynight STOCK 45 M- US $7.99 Buy It Now 54m 26s
You Can't Beat Your Brain for Entertainment by Stretch (CD, Aug-2003,... US $5.99 Buy It Now 54m 27s
Jerry Lee Lewis ROCKABILLY 45 (Sun 1130) Good Rockin' Tonight/I Can't Trust..VG+ US $6.95 Buy It Now 54m 40s
TED TAYLOR - YOU CAN MAKE IT IF YOU TRY - ALARM - 1977 US $12.95 Buy It Now 54m 42s
ELVIS COSTELLO - I CAN'T STAND UP... b/w GIRLS TALK - FBEAT 45 + PIC.SLV US $9.95 Buy It Now 54m 42s
Panic! At the Disco - A Fever You Can't Sweat Out CD, Fueled by Ramen Records US $2.24 [2 bids]
55m 37s
THE TEMPTATIONS, I'M FASCINATED / HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT IT'S OVER. 1985 MOTOWN 45 US $1.66 [0 bids]
56m 2s
LIONEL RICHIE, SAY YOU, SAY ME / CAN'T SLOW DOWN. TITLE SONG FROM WHITE NIGHTS US $1.66 [0 bids]
56m 2s
PATTI LABELLE "WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU?" 45 RPM US $3.99 Buy It Now 56m 50s
Jerry Lee Lewis ROCKABILLY 45 (Sun 382) Good Golly Miss Molly/I Can't Trust Me US $6.95 Buy It Now 57m 59s
LIONEL RICHIE: CAN'T SLOW DOWN Orig 1983 Motown VG+/VG+ US $2.99 [0 bids]
58m 29s
Jerry Lee Lewis ROCKABILLY 45 (Sun 56) I Can't Trust Your Arms/Good Golly Miss.. US $6.95 Buy It Now 58m 53s
Jerry Lee Lewis ROCKABILLY C&W MINI LP (Sun 108) Ramblin' Rose/I Can't Trust... US $7.95 Buy It Now 59m 30s
GOOD NEWS CIRCLE HE CAN MAKE YOU SMILE LP RECORD ALBUM US $19.95 Buy It Now 59m 46s
LEE MICHAELS "CAN I GET A WITNESS" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 59m 49s
Deborah Harry: I can see clearly uk 12" 12inch vinyl record single 8b US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h
BACCARA, YES SIR I CAN BOOGIE / CARA MIA. ORIGINAL 1977 RCA SINGLE US $5.35 [2 bids]
1h
DYNASTY, I DON'T WANT TO BE A FREAK (BUT I CAN'T HELP MYSELF) /PIECE OF THE ROCK US $1.66 [0 bids]
1h
KELLY MARIE, FEELS LIKE I'M IN LOVE / I CAN'T GET ENOUGH. ORIGINAL NO.1 HIT "45" US $1.66 [1 bids]
1h
ERUPTION ft PRECIOUS WILSON, I CAN'T STAND THE RAIN / BE YOURSELF. 1977 SINGLE US $1.66 [0 bids]
1h
THE IMPERIALS, WHO'S GONNA LOVE ME / CAN YOU IMAGINE. ORIGINAL 1977 SINGLE US $1.66 [0 bids]
1h
JOHNNY NASH, I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW / HOW GOOD IT IS. ORIGINAL 1972 SINGLE US $1.66 [1 bids]
1h
GEORGE McCRAE, I CAN'T LEAVE YOU ALONE. ORIGINAL 1974 JAY BOY SINGLE US $1.66 [0 bids]
1h
GEORGE MCCRAE - I Can't Leave You Alone - 1975 UK 7" vinyl single US $8.35 Buy It Now 1h
JIMMY CLIFF-YOU CAN GET IT IF YOU REALLY WANT / MANY RIVERS TO CROSS..ISLAND DJ US $15.04 Buy It Now 1h 2m
LP - Date - The Arbors - I Can't Quit Her / The Letter US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Little Joe DOO WOP 45 (Reprise 20,142) Peanuts/No, No, I Can't Stop US $6.95 Buy It Now 1h 4m
LEE WILLIAMS: SAVE IT ALL FOR YOU / I CAN MAKE - NM NORTHERN SOUL PROMO 45rpm US $6.99 [0 bids]
WHITE MAGIK I CAN'T COME BACK / AFTER IT'S OVER 45 RECORD SHANTIH V-700 PSYCH US $13.46 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Don Henley I Can't Stand Still 1982 Elektra / Asylum E1-60048 POP ROCK Sealed LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 8m
45RPM Tommy James & The Shondells Baby I Can't Take it no 1029EL US $13.59 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Sealed 12" Single LFO If I Can't Have You 1998 Logic US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
LIONEL RICHIE - Can't Slow Down - Scarce 1983 EUR Vinyl LP US $7.11 Buy It Now 1h 12m
NOS ERIC CLAPTON & HIS BAND ..... I CAN'T STAND IT US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Olu 2x12" Single Baby Can't Leave it Alone Gee Street Promo Rare 1998 NM- US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 15m
ELVIS COSTELLO I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down DJ EP 1980 45 US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
White Label Promo 45 Crow - Watching Can Waste Up The Time / Yellow Dawg Amaret US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
CAN - SACRILEGE: THE REMIXES - NEW CD BOXSET US $14.97 Buy It Now 1h 17m
GERALDINE HUNT - Can't fake the feeling - 1980 UK 7" vinyl single US $41.81 Buy It Now 1h 19m
THE CONTROLLERS "I Can't Turn The Boogie Loose" 45rpm PROMO 7" US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 20m
12 Inch MC's of Rap We Can Do This /Come & Get It US $3.75 Buy It Now 1h 20m
CAN'T STOP DANCING, VOL. 2 - NEW CD US $13.98 Buy It Now 1h 20m
RAYDIO " YOU CAN'T CHANGE THAT " / " FOR THOSE WHO LIKE TO GROOVE SEALED U.S.12 US $10.02 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Lemon D I Can't Stop / Change 12" V Recordings 1996 US $21.73 Buy It Now 1h 23m
ELVIS COSTELLO 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong RARE TWO RECORD SET US $49.95 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Carl Anderson Can't Stop This Feeling 12" Vinyl Single US $11.69 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Carol Cayne What My Love Can Bring (PS) 12" Vinyl Single US $10.86 Buy It Now 1h 26m
YAZZ - Never Can Say Goodbye (UK 4 Track CD Single) US $7.51 Buy It Now 1h 27m
EYE TO EYE JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH CD SINGLE 10 US $3.33 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Roy Eldridge - I Can't Get Started LP Still Sealed (Trumpets of Jericho, 2000) US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
TIMMY THOMAS 45 Why Can't We Live Together GLADES Near MINT Soul #A143 US $13.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Utah Saints - What Can You Do For Me - UK 7" Single - 869516-7 ex/ex US $5.79 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Four Hollidays I'll Walk Right / I Can't Wait 45 RPM US $65.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
The Police - Can't Stand Losing You - UK 7" Single - AMS7381 vg/ex US $4.89 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Spin Doctors - Little Miss Can't Be Wrong - Holland 7" Single - 658489 7 m/m US $11.24 Buy It Now 1h 34m
QUEENSRYCHE "BEST I CAN" / "I DREAM IN INFRARED" 7" 45 PICTURE SLEEVE US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Roman Stewart "How Can I Love Someone" Reggae LP Private US $60.99 [8 bids]
Rod Stewart - My Heart Can't Tell You No - UK 7" Single - W7729 ex/ex US $4.89 Buy It Now 1h 34m
The Captain & Tennille - No Love In The Morning - UK 7" Single - CAN191 vg/ex US $4.89 Buy It Now 1h 35m
JACK DeJOHNETTE'S SPECIAL EDITION TIN CAN ALLEY 1981 LP US $14.98 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Survivor - I Can't Hold Back - UK 7" Single - A6989 ex/ex US $5.79 Buy It Now 1h 36m
HOWARD TATE~GET WHILE YOU CAN~RARE ORIG'68 VERVE STEREO YELLOW LABEL PROMO LP~NM US $24.99 [1 bids]

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Soon Over Babaluma ratings distribution

CAN Soon Over Babaluma reviews

Review by corbet
4 stars This was my first CAN album, and although I liked it superficially, I was in for a big surprise when I got "Tago Mago" next. That is to say, this is actually quite a weird album when you consider the rest of their classic-period releases, and shouldn't be lumped in with the rest without a few words of caution (and ultimately, praise). First off, singer Damo Suzuki is gone, and while this shouldn't have changed things too much considering CAN's instrumental nature, things have quite obviously changed! The opening track "Dizzy Dizzy" has an almost reggae-like vibe, and the second song has a weird Latin (or something, you tell me) thing going on. Later in CAN's career we get to see all sorts of quazi-"ethnic" explorations (for better or worse), and it all begins most clearly on this album. So, if you are like I was at one point and just want Tago Mago's in-your-face psychedelic romps over and over again... nope! However, as time went on and I began to sink more deeply into an appreciation of CAN's subtler side (Future Days: best album ever), I revisited Soon Over Babaluma to discover a world of minimalist perfection and icy, alien beauty. Side 2, in particular, is a masterpiece of otherworldy music. "Chain Reaction" and "Quantum Physics" form what is in essence one piece: the first song is the "explicit" half, carried by a steady kick-drum pulse with choppy electronics and blistering guitar solos covering every inch, which all then suddenly drop away to reveal "Quantum Physics," a chilled, shimmering atmosphere of ambient sounds and subtle rhythms, all never departing from the (now implied) core tempo. When the whole thing hits you under the proper circumstances, it's nothing short of musical revelation. The first two tracks are perfect in a lazy, quirky manner, and "Splash" is a delectable CAN jam with breezy keyboard washes and great guitar soloing. Essential music! There is a distinct mood which I have learned to recognize as the "Babaluma mood," and when that moment comes, nothing short of this album (or the few "Babalumas" recorded by other bands) will do.. if you know what I mean...

Send comments to corbet (BETA) | Report this review (#23279) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 02, 2004

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars As with its predecessor, Future Days, this one is more atmospheric, more spacey but also weak in the production department and plagued with sometimes-poor sound (at least on my copy). A characteristic of German Prog sound (or Krautrock) is that most of the records have this unfinished production, raw sound, and unrefined arrangements - in a few words one cannot say that Can, ADII or Ash Ra (and Others...) are keen on over-production. This is sitting fine with me but can be difficult for neo-progheads used to such clean sounding records that reach perfection in the production dept. All of the preceding albums were self-produced and distributed by their own label (I think) and therefore adding up to the musical aesthetics and ethics by these true rebels (Ammon Duul was polit-rock as most late sixties German group were also very leftist activist). This one should get another half-star but the sound dynamics are not a plus here. One can not help but thinking, when looking at the sheer amount of classic records they put out, how successful they might have been if they had used an English production for those.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#23278) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Review by loserboy
PROG REVIEWER Honorary Reviewer
4 stars CAN were always on the cutting edge of avante-garde progressive rock blending heavy ethnic rock with industrial electronic atmospheres in bizarre like extended jam. "Soon Over Babaluma" continues CAN's quest into the land of the ultimate psychedelic space jam without Damo Suzuki's vocals. This album focuses much less on the vocal aspect in Suzuki's absence enabling the lads to innovate some wicked grooves and mind warping landscapes. I personally have always loved CAN's approach to music and find it terribly progressive. Tapestries of violin and guitar are superimposed over the frenzied drumming of Jaki Liebeaeit (who is simply an amazing percussionist), Droned bass accents by band leader Holger Czukay all surrounded by tasty keyboard atmospheric samples. Highlight for me is the combination of epic track "ChainReaction" and last number "Quantum Physics" which bring out arguably the best work of CAN ever. "Soon Over Babaluma" is a wonderful work of art and is regarded by many as the shining moment for CAN.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#23280) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 21, 2004

Review by soundsweird
4 stars My first Can album, purchased shortly after its release. My friends and I were also listening to Robert Wyatt's "Rock Bottom" and Gong's famous trilogy at the time. When you think about it, all three acts injected a welcome dose of humor into their work. I remember hearing "Future Days" and "Ege Bamyasi" a year or two later, but found them unappealing at the time. I think it's difficult to work backwards with some groups; in the case of Can, you're going from a spacy but polished sound back to a wilder, more primitive style, and it just doesn't work for me. I liked one of the pieces from "Tago Mago" (the one showing the biggest Stockhausen influence), but I could never appreciate Damo Suzuki or Malcolm Mooney at all. Anyway, this album began the string of my favorite Can albums. I love much of their solo material, as well.

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#23281) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars Anyone wanting a deeper understanding of what made CAN such a powerful band, and not only within the narrow circle of classic '70s Krautrock, should ponder the fate of Malcolm Mooney and Damo Suzuki. The two CAN vocalists (not merely "singers", please take note) each had to leave the group at the prompting of a higher authority: Mooney ending up all but chained to the psychiatrist's couch, and Suzuki disappearing within the apocalyptic embrace of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Now, I don't want to suggest that the music had any link with their later mental and / or emotional crises, but clearly this was a band circulating somewhere high above the usual rock 'n' roll circus of sex, drugs, and three-chord boogies.

The first album after Suzuki's abrupt departure found the band, in 1974, reduced to the core of its original quartet: Jaki Liebezeit, Holger Czukay, Michael Karoli, and Irmin Schmidt, playing, respectively (but like the members of GENTLE GIANT, not exclusively), drums, bass, guitar, and keyboards. On paper it looks like a normal enough line-up, but consider their separate backgrounds. Czukay and Schmidt were students of 20th Century avant-garde classical music; Karoli was an early fan of the Beatles; and Liebezeit was schooled in the near-noise of Free Jazz and other arcane ethnic rhythms (including, some whisper, forbidden voodoo drum rituals).

With a combined pedigree like that, it's no wonder CAN was such a musical force of nature. And all those influences were put into play here, in what could have been an unsettling period of transition, but turned out to be a career peak (that same year, they performed an epic, near 13-hour overnight concert in Berlin).

The album opens with the cool German-Jamaican vibe of "Dizzy Dizzy", the first of several flirtations with reggae, more examples of which would surface in the upcoming "Limited" / "Unlimited Edition" albums. "Come Sta, La Luna" sounds not unlike a tour of Fellini's Rome in La Dolce Vita, with Irmin Schmidt's voice (thankfully) masked behind a thick screen of electronic camouflage. And the instrumental "Splash" (a companion of sorts to the likeminded but mellower "Spray", off the previous "Future Days" album) is an absolutely ferocious improvisation in 7/8 time (I think), featuring the distorted sound of Karoli's treated violin, flying like shrapnel around a typically busy Jaki Liebezeit percussion volley.

But all the remaining musical barriers are well and truly broken on the final two tracks: "Chain Reaction" and "Quantum Physics", actually a single, uninterrupted 20- minute tour of inner and outer space. The titles are more literal than you might imagine, recalling an atom-age combo of Edward Teller, Robert Oppenheimer, Max Planck, and Werner Heisenberg (with Einstein calling the tune, of course).

It begins with a hypertense dance groove beamed down from some far-flung alien discotheque, which after ten minutes gradually dissipates into a long, proto-ambient euthanasia chill-out, maybe the best sonic illustration of infinity since Pythagoras first heard the Music of the Spheres. The subtly shifting auroras of Irmin Schmidt's keyboards, with Jaki Liebezeit's quietly percolating electronic percussion, would later spark an entire generation of sound sculptors and high-tech navel gazers (THE ORB, BIOSPHERE, you name 'em). But the original role model, one of several from Germany in the 1970's, is still spellbinding, even allowing for the restrictions of its relatively primitive two-track recording technology.

The album proved to be the last in a cycle of classic CAN recordings dating to before the turn of the decade. The next step would be a contract with Virgin Records, access to multi-track recording facilities, and even a Top-30 hit single two years down the road. All achieved at the expense of their original musical alchemy, say diehard fans. I don't entirely agree, but no one can argue that "Soon Over Babaluma" put the final edge of gilt on an already sterling reputation.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#43383) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars An album to appreciate, but not necessarily enjoy

Can's 1974 follow up to "Future days" was this intriguingly titled album consisting of just five tracks. This album was the last Can release to be recorded on two track equipment, on subsequent albums the band finally utilised the technical advances which had been made in the studio environment. With the departure of Damo Suzuki after the release of "Future days", the lead vocalist slot became rather unsettled, with Michael Karoli singing on two tracks here and Irmin Schmidt on one. Who is the vocalist is however largely academic as there is virtually no singing as such, the voices generally being used as a percussive instrument.

"Dizzy dizzy", which opens the album has an odd, reggae like beat backing floating violin and mumbled chanting. Such a description may sound confused and unattractive, but the results are reasonably captivating. "Come sta, La Luna" continues the odd rhythms, but this time with more of a rock orientation. Guitar is the lead instrument here, the repetitive vocals being a bit more orthodox but still not sung by any means.

"Splash", the third and final track on side one is a straightforward jazz fusion type improvisation featuring guitar then electric violin. The rather sparse rhythm section focuses on the frantic drumming of Jaki Liebezeit, Holger Czukay's bass being all but inaudible.

The 11― minute "Chain reaction" is the longest track on the album. The pulsating, disco like rhythms lay the foundations for a lengthy, rather unstructured improvisation based once again around violin and guitar. "Quantum physics" segues straight from "Chain reaction", effectively forming a side long piece. The mood however changes to a softer ambient atmosphere with little overt music as such, just waves of sound.

For an album released in 1974, "Soon over Babaluma" is an astonishingly forward looking and imaginative album. That however does not necessarily make it either good or enjoyable. Personally, while I admire the band's creativity, in musical terms the album leaves me cold.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#136321) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 05, 2007

3 stars CAN's first record without Damo Suzuki would turn out ok, but for me the magic is lost. Karoli and Schmidt would share the vocals, and they're both ok as they sing in a low key.

"Dizzy Dizzy" opens with percusion and violin as distant sounding vocals from Karoli come in. This song has that catchy groove CAN is known for. "Come Sta, La Luna" opens with percussion as Scmidt comes in vocally with keys. Spoken words follow. Some guitar after 1 1/2 minutes in. Violin a minute later. Themes are repeated. "Splash" is more uptempo as percussion and violin lead the way. The violin seems distorted at times,or maybe dissonant is the word. My favourite part of the whole album is the guitar playing on this song beginning 2 minutes in. They're just jamming during most of this song. Nice. My favourite track.

"Chain Reaction" builds to a good beat before the tempo slows before 4 minutes. Vocals come in courtesy of Karoli and guitar. The tempo picks back up as screeching guitar comes in. It slows down again after 8 minutes. Vocals return. "Quantum Physics" takes a while to really get going, although it may not be right to say it ever does get going. Haha. There is a steady beat 2 1/2 minutes in but it's brief. It's spacey 5 1/2 minutes in. Just not much happening for 8 1/2 minutes.

For me this is barely 3 stars. Especially when compared to their past albums, this is a bit of a disappointment.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#178988) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars If ever there was an album that fit Frank Zappa's album title "Trance Fusion", this would be it. Here we have five tracks of Can's high energy hypnotic jams. And for the most part, this album entertains.

It begins with "Dizzy Dizzy", a reggae jam with a whispered vocal percussion and nice violin riffing by Michael Karoli. Next is "Come Sta, La Luna", which to me sounds like what you would get if you allowed Can to reinterpret "The Girl From Ipanema". Then "Splash", one of the few times I can recall this band venturing into an unconventional time signature, 7/8. The album concludes with "Chain Reaction", another jam, that's pretty mesmerizing, until the somewhat lame vocals begin. This song then melds into "Quatum Physics", with percussionist Liebezeit and bassist Czukay just flying along.

I'd give this one 3.5 stars.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221871) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 19, 2009

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Soon Over Babaluma" is the 6th full-length studio album by German Krautrock/experimental rock act Can. The album was released through United Artists/Spoon/Mute in November 1974. Japanese lead vocalist Damo Suzuki jumped ship soon after the release of "Future Days (1973)" to marry his German girlfriend and become a Jehovah's Witness. So "Soon Over Babaluma" was a kind of new start for the band. Can opted to continue as a four-piece and not hire a new lead vocalist. The vocals on the album are handled by guitarist Michael Karoli and Keyboard player Irmin Schmidt.

"Soon Over Babaluma" features 5 tracks, distributed over a 43:22 minutes long playing time. The two opening tracks "Dizzy Dizzy" and "Come sta, La Luna" are the most accessible tracks on the album. Both feature vocals and Michael Karoli plays violin which is a new feature in Canīs soundscape. The rythm section are still one of the greatest assets of Canīs music. Repetitive yet complex adventurous playing. The overall impression of the tracks are that they are organized jams that have evolved into structured songs, which is pretty much like itīs always been with Can. "Splash" touches jazz rock/fusion territory while the 11:12 minutes long "Chain Reaction" has time to go through different atmospheres and features many adventurous ideas. "Quantum Physics" closes "Soon Over Babaluma". Itīs an atmopheric and ambient track.

The sound production is of good quality but not as great as the sound productions on earlier releases by the band. Actually both sound production, songwriting and musicianship have declined slightly since "Future Days (1973)". Not to a degree where "Soon Over Babaluma" isnīt worth listening to or anything like that, and itīs still a recommendable release, but ultimately itīs slightly less interesting than itīs predecessors. A 3.5 star (70%) rating is warranted.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#230458) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 08, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Soon Over Babaluma is certainly not one of the easier Can albums to get into. Damo Suzuki had left the band, taking with him the more directly expressive and emotional part of the Can. So even for a seasoned Krautoneer, it takes a while to get into the more subdued and subtly layered music on this album.

The first 3 tracks are still fairly accessible. With their short running time, catchy vocals and mesmerizing beauty, Dizzy Dizzy and Come Sta are immediate winners. Splash shifts a level higher in terms of accessibilty. The music is looser, fully improvised and jazzy.

The remaining half of the album poses the real challenge. Chain Reaction left me completely untouched for years, not sounding like much more then a jumble of wild ideas with few flashes of inspiration. The first half of Quantum Physics didn't strike me as any better. Only the second half of that song had more immediate appeal to me due to the ambient avant-garde noise and subtle percussion. But after a year of exploring improvised and avant music I find both to be brilliant.

As usual the conclusion is to never give up on an album, certainly not on a good one, and especially so where it concerns music that you fail to 'get' or understand. The problem was me, not the music.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#247251) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars If you are interested in reggae meeting Kraut, then I guess that you will be delighted when your ears will be caught by Ŧ Dizzy Dizzy ŧ which opens this album. Let's say that it is not my feeling nor cup of tea (the mix I mean, since I appreciate reggae for quite a long time). Press next. Actually "Come Sta, La Luna" also features some Jamaican flavours, but it is more hypnotic and spacey. Still, it is no big deal.

The first good track from this album is "Splash" which shows a more kraut-classic oriented music. If ever it means something. Good psyche mood, good beat (drumming is as always excellent). Some Latino influence is more than welcome for sure.

Wild beat again for "Chain Reaction" which features some great guitar work but offers no more than that. The beat is repetitive, monotonous. I can't tell that vocals are impressive either. All in all, this is quite an average track.

The minimalist closing number is hard to describe. Improvisation (or testing maybe) is what we get there. This track is definitely not going to propel this album into my top 500 for sure. Two stars even if this album which was released in 74 was quite avant garde for the time.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#285047) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 05, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars In theory, after he had such a (relatively) limited role on Future Days, the departure of Suzuki shouldn't have had such an influence on the band's quality, yet here I am, giving this album a lower rating than its predecessor. I mentioned back in my Soundtracks review that (paraphrasing) the band sounded totally revitalized once it had injected Damo into its bloodstream, and unfortunately it seems that him leaving had the inverse effect on the group. There's a tentative feel to these tracks that's ever so bothersome to me, not in the least limited to the vocals (the vocals don't really bother me at all, actually), and it confirms to me that the band couldn't really go anywhere but down from here on out, even if they don't actually sound bad by any reasonable definition.

The first two tracks, to be fair, are quite nice. The opener, "Dizzy Dizzy," is kinda in the same "spacey" vein as the quieter stuff on the last vein, with a bunch of violin passages sliding around a low-key, almost bouncy rhythm. The vocals, done by Karoli in a manner completely unlike anything Damo would have ever done, are mostly built around him whispering/chanting, "Got to get it-it up, got to get it-it over" again and again, punctuated by an occasional chant of the title of the song. It really matches the atmosphere of the cover, I think; I can easily see myself flying along that landscape with this in the background.

The following track, "Come Sta, La Luna," features Schmidt on vocals (he's mildly grating when he sings the title, but it kinda works here), mostly with him muttering over yet another clever, hypnotic rhythmic pattern. There's an awful lot of un-altered piano here, especially for a Can album, and it gives a feeling of depth to the sound that, in conjunction with the usual dose of odd noises, really milks the "spacey" vibe these guys are going for quite well. So far, so good.

However, we then hit Splash, which is the first time in a while that Can sound, dare I say it, truly uninspired. What it reminds me of most, actually, is the beginning of the middle section of "Trilogy" by ELP, where Emerson spends a good couple of minutes wanking over a pattern almost identical to the one here. The violin, guitar and keyboard passages here are technically solid, yes, but for a band whose main calling card has been doing jams of a kind that nobody else in the world could properly imitate, mere technical prowess is simply not enough. It's not bad, but not particularly special. Similarly, the 11-minute "Chain Reaction" is rhythmic in a way that isn't anything new, and while all these dancey guitar lines work well with the drums in creating a proto-techno effect, and while there are some bits of vaguely melodic groove near the end, it just doesn't come together into something I can get excited about.

And then there's "Quantum Physics," which isn't nasty but sounds like an outtake from the Future Days sessions. I do like how the drums kinda move up and down in the mix (mostly staying incredibly quiet, of course), and I like the overall feel and the way the synths sound, but I'm kinda disappointed that there aren't any moments of sheer beauty like in, say, "Bel Air." It's nice and futuristic-sounding and all that, but there's just not that extra something that has made me like the band's previous work as much as I have.

Still, it's a nice enough album, just not an especially essential one. If you really, really dig on Future Days and the "cosmic" sound and atmosphere of that one, you'll want this one, and somebody looking to get into post-Damo Can will probably be best off going with this one first. Don't get your expectations up too high, though.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#293472) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 05, 2010

Review by Warthur
5 stars Can's first album without a dedicated lead singer is a tour de force for the group. Without a vocalist on board, the band feel less need to create space for the vocals in their music and focus solely on their instrumental performances, singing only when they feel the music demands it. Michael Karoli's vocal contributions are the best of the group, his additions to Dizzy Dizzy in particular contributing to the sound of the composition much as Damo Suzuki's might have. The album's heart is the hypnotic and compelling duo of Chain Reaction and Quantum Physics, and overall this a masterful album which (as others have pointed out) would eventually exert a powerful influence over the post-rock scene.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#532011) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 25, 2011

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars Can is another prog icon that I have often neglected, save for this album which I have always adored for some obscure reason. They were always strange bedfellows, a band that, much like the German National soccer team, play together as a unit or Mannschaft. No star solo heroes here. Whereas we are used to separation between instruments to the point of immediate identification of style, Can blends all into a dense cocktail of sound where Karoli's guitar, Schmidt's keys, Czukay's bass are all blended effortlessly. Only Liebezeit keeps the beat obvious and the percussion torrential. Certainly the first series of albums are legendary but my trio remains Future Days, Soon Over Babaluma and Landed, who incidentally or not ,are natural discographic progressions. The cover artwork has been a constant source of attraction, the original vinyl yielding a silver/blue map of seismic peaks and greenish valleys. "Dizzy Dizzy" is remindful, in style and feel, of Roxy Music's masterstroke and harbinger of future electronica , 1971's The Bogus Man". How can music be minimalist and lush at the same time, you ask? Well, Eno just continued the style espoused by these Kraut rockers with his Another Green Worlds of oddball /ambient/psychedelia. Throw some vaporous violin, brisk reggae e-guitar, some obscure keyboards, oblique bass and shifting rhythmic pulsations, all together with some hushed vocalizations and you get dizzy!

"Come Sta La Luna" is creepy, choppy, dissonant, confusing and outright bizarre. Imagine a decadent electronic tango with dilettante wannabees, cheap red wine and pungent cigarettes both smeared by overflowing lipstick. Extreme sonic environment, to say the least. "Splash" is a percu-fest, Liebezeit going berserk on his kit, while Karoli ravages his violin/guitar arsenal. Nasty stuff! At times, the guitar navigates like Santana on acid, a weird and pervasive sense of lunacy invades the soul.

But the core of this sublime album is the next 2 epics, "Chain Reaction" and "Quantum Physics", both loyal to the Bogus Man feel mentioned earlier and hence highly explorative, delirious and meandering. Here are the overtly sprouting seeds of electronica, world music, funky psychedelia and so much more. I mean this is not very feminine music, no massive melodies that one can sing along and no poignant lyrics. "Chain Reaction" is shadowy, murky, greasy and rude. It is also erotic, sensual and kinky, musically speaking. Soundtrack for a dominatrix! Liebezeit in particular demonstrates a riffling technique that knows no respite, plowing mercilessly forward on some obsessive inspiration, sweat dripping down his chin, or is that drool? Not the easiest stuff to listen to, bored housewives hooked on AM radio would probably slice open their wrists at the mere thought of such cerebral sounds. "Quantum Physics" is just the natural evolution of their inspiration, impenetrable electronics, foggy rhythms, opaque bass and drums that must have duck tape on them, so cavernous is the thud. Hypnotically inclined, cleverly elliptical and expertly-mental, this is the essence of music in 1973, progressing from Chuck Berry and Bill Haley to some distant sonic heaven. Off the wall, meandering on the wood flooring, into the drain, down the pipe, across the yard and ultimately joining the river. This happens often when you are over Babaluma.

When friends ask me what is the strangest album I have, I invariably whip out this one, to go with Penguin Café Orchestra, Pavlov's Dog, Weidorje, Universal Totem Orchestra and Sparks. It causes quite a stir, so I have a straight jacket handy. You never know when someone gets dizzy dizzy.

4.5 tin tins

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#690825) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 26, 2012

5 stars During the height of "post rock" in the 90s, I went nuts over Can. So did a lot of people at that time, even though their best music was from the early/mid 70s. But by the mid/late 90s a lot of "alternative" was so commercial we were all burning out on it. Indie Rock was the place to be, e ... (read more)

Report this review (#273752) | Posted by akajazzman | Tuesday, March 23, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Imagine this scene. Imagine a modern sort of Rome, a great empire spread across continents. It rose up under one great leader, and was then followed by a new, even greater leader who brought this Rome to new heights. Then imagine this leader being unfit to lead, and having to leave. Rome has ... (read more)

Report this review (#115879) | Posted by Pnoom! | Wednesday, March 21, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Saw this CD in the bargain bin for $3.99, and since I drive alot for my job, decided to pick it up and was pleasantly surprised by this album. I have seen Can on this site, but this was my 1st CD, and although it was somewhat slow moving, it was nice and spacey to listen to on my 4 hour drive ... (read more)

Report this review (#104113) | Posted by | Thursday, December 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I find myself looking at the work of Can in a somewhat objective light, rather than an emotional, subjective one...to me, Can can (sic) sometimes put experimentation above listener involvement - and in doing so they could be far more self indulgent than many of the contemporary so-called prog ... (read more)

Report this review (#74609) | Posted by Phil | Tuesday, April 11, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The most uneven Can's album. Some realy beautyfull works (Come Sta, La Luna (my favourite song from LP, this strange vocal interpretation of Shmidt, and connetion of flamenco and psychodelic rythms gave grat efect), Splash (but it is to long a bit), Chain Reaction (one minus of this is that colou ... (read more)

Report this review (#23283) | Posted by | Monday, April 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Soon Over Babaluma"