SOON OVER BABALUMA

Can Soon Over Babaluma album cover

Buy CAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1974

1. Dizzy Dizzy (5:40)
2. Come sta, La Luna (5:44)
3. Splash (7:47)
4. Chain Reaction (11:12)
5. Quantum Physics (8:33)

Search CAN Soon Over Babaluma lyrics

Search CAN Soon Over Babaluma tabs

- Holger Czukay / bass
- Michael Karoli / guitar, violin, vocals on No. 1, 4
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards, vocals on No. 2

Mute Records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Soon Over Babaluma Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Vinyl$21.74
SoundtracksSoundtracks
Vinyl$17.55
JOE COCKER ?- I CAN STAND A LITTLE RAIN - LP A&M 1974 / "You Are So Beautiful" US $2.00 [0 bids]
30m 14s
****SALE! THE BEACH BOYS: I CAN HEAR MUSIC UK-only M- GEM 45/PICTURE SLEEVE!**** US $8.99 Buy It Now 30m 49s
BONNIE RAITT I CAN'T MAKE YOU LOVE ME U.S 2 TRACK PROMO CD SINGLE US $8.99 [0 bids]
30m 58s
TAMMY WYNETTE Ti' I can make it on my own 1976 NM dj PROMO Epic 8-50196 LISTEN US $9.99 Buy It Now 31m 3s
+ANYONE CAN DANCE - NIGHTCLUB - SLOW DANCING !! NEW!! US $2.21 Buy It Now 31m 52s
ERIC ANDERSEN - MORE HITS FROM TIN CAN ALLEY - VANGUARD STEREO LP - NICE US $9.99 Buy It Now 32m 8s
BILLIE HAYS - I Can't get no Satisfaction, ROLLING STONES, NM 1978 PROMO dj US $3.99 Buy It Now 32m 15s
BARRY WHITE - CAN'T GET ENOUGH [BARRY WHITE] - NEW CD US $4.88 Buy It Now 33m
CHRISTOPHER CROSS - Arthur's Theme (The Best That You Can Do) - 45rpm record US $2.00 Buy It Now 33m 36s
Magic Slim & The Teardrops - Anything Can Happen [CD New] US $14.65 Buy It Now 35m 2s
25 CENT CD All That You Can't Leave Behind by U2 (CD, Oct-2000, Interscope (USA) US $0.25 [1 bids]
35m 23s
Unknown Artist The Best You Can Be Le Meilleur En Toi CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 35m 45s
ARROWS Touch Too Much / We Can Make It Together MICKIE MOST EX 1974 LISTEN HERE US $9.99 Buy It Now 35m 56s
PHYLLIS HYMAN: Sunshine in my life / Can't We Fall in Love MODERN SOUL NM-  US $6.00 Buy It Now 36m 7s
IRENE CARA Anyone Can See JAPAN CASSETTE TAPE 28KP-1038 w/PS+Insert US $19.99 Buy It Now 37m 6s
I Just Can't Stop It by The English Beat CD early IRS Canada 14-Tracks #70606 NM US $10.95 Buy It Now 37m 16s
45 Mariah Carey/Can't let go-edit/To be around you/Columbia/USA/NM- HEAR US $2.22 [0 bids]
37m 25s
The Spectaculars You Can Look Up Now CD US $7.42 Buy It Now 37m 31s
78RPM Columbia 37355 Woody Herman, Can You Look in My Eyes, Pancho Maximilia VG+ US $7.95 Buy It Now 38m 46s
SOUNDS 1985 DEC 21 DEE C LEE GELDOF DEAD CAN DANCE US $14.41 Buy It Now 38m 53s
VIVA VOCE (INDIE) - LOVERS, LEAD THE WAY!/THE HEAT CAN MELT YOUR - NEW CD BOXSET US $14.06 Buy It Now 39m 32s
I Can Only Imagine / Word Of God Speak by MercyMe US $4.00 Buy It Now 41m 1s
Can-Can LP Enhanced Stereo Broadway Cast by Cole Porter US $14.95 Buy It Now 41m 15s
(CE286) Sonique, Can't Make Up My Mind - 2003 DJ CD US $4.79 Buy It Now 42m 2s
THE WHO - I CAN'T EXPLAIN / BALD HEADED WOMAN - MCA 7" SINGLE 45 US $2.49 [0 bids]
42m 52s
Startoon 45 Anamaze 1002 E Cond. Humans Being Human/We Can Have A Party US $11.75 Buy It Now 43m 16s
TWINKLE BROTHERS - YOU CAN'T SAY YOU NEVER KNOW 7" HEAR US $5.99 Buy It Now 44m 3s
(CE314) Taio Cruz, I Can Be - 2007 DJ CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 44m 13s
Michael Bolton 45 Can I Touch You There? / Ain't Got Lo US $2.00 Buy It Now 45m 54s
Joe Walsh You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind LP US $3.99 [0 bids]
46m 1s
MICHAEL JACKSON I Just Can't Stop Loving You EPC6502026 12" Ag4576 US $4.99 [1 bids]
46m 6s
Camel I Can See Your House From Here Arista 1980 w/ Org Sleeve Prog Psych LP NM US $9.99 Buy It Now 46m 25s
FOREIGNER-CAN`T SLOW DOWN - WHEN IT`S LIVE CD NEW US $16.70 Buy It Now 46m 45s
Lynn Anderson How Can I Unlove You LP US $0.99 Buy It Now 46m 46s
VINTAGE TWISTED SISTER YOU CAN'T STOP ROCK 'N ROLL CASSETTE TAPE USED 1983 METAL US $2.99 [0 bids]
46m 47s
NEW Skysaw RSD No One Can Tell SEALED Serrated RECORD STORE DAY FREE US SHIPPING US $14.98 Buy It Now 47m 9s
Into Something (Can't Shake Loose) [Digipak] by O.V. Wright (CD, Aug-2014,... US $7.19 Buy It Now 47m 56s
GENE & JERRY: You Just Can't Win (soul vinyl 45) US $8.00 Buy It Now 47m 59s
(CE359) Ciara, Can't Leave 'Em Alone ft 50 Cent - 2007 DJ CD US $4.79 Buy It Now 48m 4s
Flora Purim: Open your eyes you can fly LP 12" 12inch vinyl record 3b US $1.50 Buy It Now 48m 39s
Vex Red - Can't Smile - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $5.97 Buy It Now 49m 30s
Bon Jovi Because We Can white t-shirt S, M, L, XL size US $14.99 Buy It Now 49m 46s
Can't You Hear Me Calling, Caroline? by George MacFarlane 78 RPM Victor 60123 US $6.50 [0 bids]
50m 54s
CD Pajama Party Can't Live Without It US $7.64 Buy It Now 50m 59s
LIONEL RICHIE CAN'T SLOW DOWN VINYL LP RECORD ALBUM (1983) US $2.99 [0 bids]
51m 1s
MADONNA You Can Dancee 1-25535 OBI LP Ag8296 US $4.99 [0 bids]
51m 8s
BECKY LOUISE I WANNA BE KISSED I CAN SPELL BANANA KENT LABEL 45 VG+ US $25.00 Buy It Now 51m 23s
We Can't Dance by Genesis (U.K. Band) (Cassette, Nov-1991, Atlantic (Label)) US $1.50 Buy It Now 52m 21s
ELVIS COSTELLO I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down PROMO 45 dj demo wlp 7" 1978 US $3.50 [0 bids]
53m 7s
Fred Knoblock Scotti Bros 45 Record #518 NM 1980 Why Not Me / Can I get A Wish US $0.99 [0 bids]
53m 22s
MADONNA YOU CAN DANCE WITH SPECIAL DUB VERSIONS CASSETTE TAPE US $13.10 Buy It Now 54m 18s
Irene Cara ANYONE CAN SEE Vinyl Record E1 60003 *Free Shipping in US* US $9.99 Buy It Now 54m 24s
LEON RUSSELL ~Anything Can Happen CD ~10 trx ~Edgar Winter, Bruce Hornsby guest US $3.99 Buy It Now 54m 25s
SPLENDER ~ Halfway Down the Sky CD ~ 13 Songs, I Think God Can Explain (ECD) US $2.99 Buy It Now 54m 25s
Blake Morgan I Can Hear You Say CD US $5.00 Buy It Now 55m 22s
Bellamy Brothers - You Can Get Crazy US $0.99 [0 bids]
55m 23s
VG+ ERICA FROST i can read about ghosts 7" EP VG+ 1977 Vinyl HALLOWEEN US $24.00 Buy It Now 55m 38s
Chanson I Can Tell (PS) 12" Vinyl US $15.23 Buy It Now 55m 45s
Red Stars Theory : Life in a Bubble Can CD (1999) US $7.98 Buy It Now 55m 58s
ANTHONY NEWLEY WHO CAN I TURN TO LPM3347 PROMO VG++/EX DYNA GROOVE RECORDS 1965 US $14.99 Buy It Now 57m 11s
WEATHER GIRLS no one can love you 12" Mint- 44 05288 Vinyl 1985 Record US $7.00 Buy It Now 57m 23s
Lot of 3 Don Henley CD's "Actual Miles" "Inside Job" "I Can't Stand Still" US $14.99 [0 bids]
57m 28s
End on End Why Evolve When We Can Go Sideways In Shrink w/ Insert LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 57m 28s
GURU GURU GLOBETROTTER krautrock prog german brain '77 lp can amon duul oop rare US $79.00 Buy It Now 57m 39s
White Man Can't Jump Rap Hip Hop Cassette Tape Cypress Hill Etc. US $3.50 Buy It Now 58m 4s
Homer & Jethro Life Can Be Miserable vinyl LP 1958 MONO US $8.95 Buy It Now 58m 14s
NEW - 15 Favorites You Can Sing US $8.93 Buy It Now 58m 30s
Jeanette Rudolph If Love Can't Be Forever 12" R&R RH 930 Vinyl US $8.99 Buy It Now 58m 38s
U2 All That You Can't Leave Behind CD 11 Fabulous Songs US $6.98 Buy It Now 58m 53s
Taylor Dayne ~ Can't Fight Fate US $0.10 [0 bids]
59m 44s
How good it is - I can see clearly now johnny nash Epic 5-10902 US $3.87 Buy It Now 1h 2m
You Can't Stop Rock N Roll - We're Not Gonna Take it Twister Sisters Atlantic US $3.87 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Good for you - All I can be is a sweet memory Collin Raye Epic 34-73831 US $3.87 Buy It Now 1h 2m
I Can Help - Ways of a woman in love Billy swan Monument ZS8 - 8621 US $3.87 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Can't Be Tamed by Miley Cyrus (CD, Jun-2010, Hollywood) N40 US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Taz Can't Contain Me (PS) 12" Vinyl US $13.63 Buy It Now 1h 2m
CAN ATILLA ASK I HURREM DIGIPACK CD US $1.50 Buy It Now 1h 3m
45 rpm JUKE BOX RE-Johnny Nash (I Can See Clearly) + Redbone (Suzi Girl) US $1.25 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE: Golden Years / Can You Hear Me NM PROMO 45 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
DAVID BOWIE: Golden Years / Can You Hear Me WHITE LABEL CANADIAN PROMO 45 US $149.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Boyz II Men Collide CD Deluxe BONUS TRACKS Can't Let Go Brand New SEALED US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
FRANK ZAPPA**YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE: VOL. SIX**2 CD SET US $12.71 Buy It Now 1h 5m
THE BEATLES Day Tripper / We Can Work It Out 45 ? U.S Capitol US $17.48 Buy It Now 1h 5m
THE BEATLES CAN'T BUY ME LOVE / YOU CAN'T DO THAT CAPITOL 1964 45 RECORD US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
TABERNACLE ECHOES JESUS CAN MAKE A WAY LP WASHINGTON,DC US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
R&B/SOUL REPRO: TONI JORDAN-The Bend/I Can't Forget DANCE -KILLER MAMBO ROCKER! US $10.95 Buy It Now 1h 6m
45 rpm-Three Dog Night-Joy to the World/I Can Hear You Calling-MCA 1455 US $1.25 [0 bids]
Can't Fight Fate by Taylor Dayne (CD, Oct-1989, Arista) US $0.99 [0 bids]
YOU CAN'T EVEN WALK IN THE PARK ALT VER B BOY O.S.T FUNK SHAFT IN AFRICA US $9.99 [0 bids]
Bass Bumpers "Can't Stop Dancing" 12" 4 Mixes EP NEAR MINT FREE US SHIPPING US $14.98 Buy It Now 1h 9m
RARE! Queen Latifah Rough b/w I Can't Understand ACETATE Dubplate OG 94 1228-1A US $129.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
(AM438) Obi Project ft Harry, Baby Can I Get You- DJ CD US $4.79 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Vintage 8-Track Tape REO Speedwagon - You Can Tune a Piano But Can't Tuna Fish US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Don Johnson - Heartbeat / Can't Take Your Memory 45 & Picture Sleeve US $1.99 [0 bids]
Michael Jackson with Siedah Garrett I just can't stop loving you Promo w/Sleeve US $5.99 [0 bids]
We Can't Dance by Genesis (Atlantic, 1991 US $2.00 [0 bids]
BEATLES 45 "DAY TRIPPER/WE CAN WORK IT OUT" CAPITOL 5555 SWIRL LABEL US $4.00 [0 bids]
The McCoys "Hang On Sloopy" & "I Can't Explain It" 45 RPM Vintage Rock Classics! US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Fat Boys "All You Can Eat" 12" Single - RARE DJ-ONLY 1985 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
1983 MOTOWN POP SOUL Lionel Richie Can't Slow Down Vintage Vinyl LP ALL NIGHT US $1.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Soon Over Babaluma ratings distribution

CAN Soon Over Babaluma reviews

Review by corbet
4 stars This was my first CAN album, and although I liked it superficially, I was in for a big surprise when I got "Tago Mago" next. That is to say, this is actually quite a weird album when you consider the rest of their classic-period releases, and shouldn't be lumped in with the rest without a few words of caution (and ultimately, praise). First off, singer Damo Suzuki is gone, and while this shouldn't have changed things too much considering CAN's instrumental nature, things have quite obviously changed! The opening track "Dizzy Dizzy" has an almost reggae-like vibe, and the second song has a weird Latin (or something, you tell me) thing going on. Later in CAN's career we get to see all sorts of quazi-"ethnic" explorations (for better or worse), and it all begins most clearly on this album. So, if you are like I was at one point and just want Tago Mago's in-your-face psychedelic romps over and over again... nope! However, as time went on and I began to sink more deeply into an appreciation of CAN's subtler side (Future Days: best album ever), I revisited Soon Over Babaluma to discover a world of minimalist perfection and icy, alien beauty. Side 2, in particular, is a masterpiece of otherworldy music. "Chain Reaction" and "Quantum Physics" form what is in essence one piece: the first song is the "explicit" half, carried by a steady kick-drum pulse with choppy electronics and blistering guitar solos covering every inch, which all then suddenly drop away to reveal "Quantum Physics," a chilled, shimmering atmosphere of ambient sounds and subtle rhythms, all never departing from the (now implied) core tempo. When the whole thing hits you under the proper circumstances, it's nothing short of musical revelation. The first two tracks are perfect in a lazy, quirky manner, and "Splash" is a delectable CAN jam with breezy keyboard washes and great guitar soloing. Essential music! There is a distinct mood which I have learned to recognize as the "Babaluma mood," and when that moment comes, nothing short of this album (or the few "Babalumas" recorded by other bands) will do.. if you know what I mean...

Send comments to corbet (BETA) | Report this review (#23279) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 02, 2004

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars As with its predecessor, Future Days, this one is more atmospheric, more spacey but also weak in the production department and plagued with sometimes-poor sound (at least on my copy). A characteristic of German Prog sound (or Krautrock) is that most of the records have this unfinished production, raw sound, and unrefined arrangements - in a few words one cannot say that Can, ADII or Ash Ra (and Others...) are keen on over-production. This is sitting fine with me but can be difficult for neo-progheads used to such clean sounding records that reach perfection in the production dept. All of the preceding albums were self-produced and distributed by their own label (I think) and therefore adding up to the musical aesthetics and ethics by these true rebels (Ammon Duul was polit-rock as most late sixties German group were also very leftist activist). This one should get another half-star but the sound dynamics are not a plus here. One can not help but thinking, when looking at the sheer amount of classic records they put out, how successful they might have been if they had used an English production for those.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#23278) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Review by loserboy
4 stars CAN were always on the cutting edge of avante-garde progressive rock blending heavy ethnic rock with industrial electronic atmospheres in bizarre like extended jam. "Soon Over Babaluma" continues CAN's quest into the land of the ultimate psychedelic space jam without Damo Suzuki's vocals. This album focuses much less on the vocal aspect in Suzuki's absence enabling the lads to innovate some wicked grooves and mind warping landscapes. I personally have always loved CAN's approach to music and find it terribly progressive. Tapestries of violin and guitar are superimposed over the frenzied drumming of Jaki Liebeaeit (who is simply an amazing percussionist), Droned bass accents by band leader Holger Czukay all surrounded by tasty keyboard atmospheric samples. Highlight for me is the combination of epic track "ChainReaction" and last number "Quantum Physics" which bring out arguably the best work of CAN ever. "Soon Over Babaluma" is a wonderful work of art and is regarded by many as the shining moment for CAN.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#23280) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 21, 2004

Review by soundsweird
4 stars My first Can album, purchased shortly after its release. My friends and I were also listening to Robert Wyatt's "Rock Bottom" and Gong's famous trilogy at the time. When you think about it, all three acts injected a welcome dose of humor into their work. I remember hearing "Future Days" and "Ege Bamyasi" a year or two later, but found them unappealing at the time. I think it's difficult to work backwards with some groups; in the case of Can, you're going from a spacy but polished sound back to a wilder, more primitive style, and it just doesn't work for me. I liked one of the pieces from "Tago Mago" (the one showing the biggest Stockhausen influence), but I could never appreciate Damo Suzuki or Malcolm Mooney at all. Anyway, this album began the string of my favorite Can albums. I love much of their solo material, as well.

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#23281) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars Anyone wanting a deeper understanding of what made CAN such a powerful band, and not only within the narrow circle of classic '70s Krautrock, should ponder the fate of Malcolm Mooney and Damo Suzuki. The two CAN vocalists (not merely "singers", please take note) each had to leave the group at the prompting of a higher authority: Mooney ending up all but chained to the psychiatrist's couch, and Suzuki disappearing within the apocalyptic embrace of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Now, I don't want to suggest that the music had any link with their later mental and / or emotional crises, but clearly this was a band circulating somewhere high above the usual rock 'n' roll circus of sex, drugs, and three-chord boogies.

The first album after Suzuki's abrupt departure found the band, in 1974, reduced to the core of its original quartet: Jaki Liebezeit, Holger Czukay, Michael Karoli, and Irmin Schmidt, playing, respectively (but like the members of GENTLE GIANT, not exclusively), drums, bass, guitar, and keyboards. On paper it looks like a normal enough line-up, but consider their separate backgrounds. Czukay and Schmidt were students of 20th Century avant-garde classical music; Karoli was an early fan of the Beatles; and Liebezeit was schooled in the near-noise of Free Jazz and other arcane ethnic rhythms (including, some whisper, forbidden voodoo drum rituals).

With a combined pedigree like that, it's no wonder CAN was such a musical force of nature. And all those influences were put into play here, in what could have been an unsettling period of transition, but turned out to be a career peak (that same year, they performed an epic, near 13-hour overnight concert in Berlin).

The album opens with the cool German-Jamaican vibe of "Dizzy Dizzy", the first of several flirtations with reggae, more examples of which would surface in the upcoming "Limited" / "Unlimited Edition" albums. "Come Sta, La Luna" sounds not unlike a tour of Fellini's Rome in La Dolce Vita, with Irmin Schmidt's voice (thankfully) masked behind a thick screen of electronic camouflage. And the instrumental "Splash" (a companion of sorts to the likeminded but mellower "Spray", off the previous "Future Days" album) is an absolutely ferocious improvisation in 7/8 time (I think), featuring the distorted sound of Karoli's treated violin, flying like shrapnel around a typically busy Jaki Liebezeit percussion volley.

But all the remaining musical barriers are well and truly broken on the final two tracks: "Chain Reaction" and "Quantum Physics", actually a single, uninterrupted 20- minute tour of inner and outer space. The titles are more literal than you might imagine, recalling an atom-age combo of Edward Teller, Robert Oppenheimer, Max Planck, and Werner Heisenberg (with Einstein calling the tune, of course).

It begins with a hypertense dance groove beamed down from some far-flung alien discotheque, which after ten minutes gradually dissipates into a long, proto-ambient euthanasia chill-out, maybe the best sonic illustration of infinity since Pythagoras first heard the Music of the Spheres. The subtly shifting auroras of Irmin Schmidt's keyboards, with Jaki Liebezeit's quietly percolating electronic percussion, would later spark an entire generation of sound sculptors and high-tech navel gazers (THE ORB, BIOSPHERE, you name 'em). But the original role model, one of several from Germany in the 1970's, is still spellbinding, even allowing for the restrictions of its relatively primitive two-track recording technology.

The album proved to be the last in a cycle of classic CAN recordings dating to before the turn of the decade. The next step would be a contract with Virgin Records, access to multi-track recording facilities, and even a Top-30 hit single two years down the road. All achieved at the expense of their original musical alchemy, say diehard fans. I don't entirely agree, but no one can argue that "Soon Over Babaluma" put the final edge of gilt on an already sterling reputation.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#43383) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars An album to appreciate, but not necessarily enjoy

Can's 1974 follow up to "Future days" was this intriguingly titled album consisting of just five tracks. This album was the last Can release to be recorded on two track equipment, on subsequent albums the band finally utilised the technical advances which had been made in the studio environment. With the departure of Damo Suzuki after the release of "Future days", the lead vocalist slot became rather unsettled, with Michael Karoli singing on two tracks here and Irmin Schmidt on one. Who is the vocalist is however largely academic as there is virtually no singing as such, the voices generally being used as a percussive instrument.

"Dizzy dizzy", which opens the album has an odd, reggae like beat backing floating violin and mumbled chanting. Such a description may sound confused and unattractive, but the results are reasonably captivating. "Come sta, La Luna" continues the odd rhythms, but this time with more of a rock orientation. Guitar is the lead instrument here, the repetitive vocals being a bit more orthodox but still not sung by any means.

"Splash", the third and final track on side one is a straightforward jazz fusion type improvisation featuring guitar then electric violin. The rather sparse rhythm section focuses on the frantic drumming of Jaki Liebezeit, Holger Czukay's bass being all but inaudible.

The 11― minute "Chain reaction" is the longest track on the album. The pulsating, disco like rhythms lay the foundations for a lengthy, rather unstructured improvisation based once again around violin and guitar. "Quantum physics" segues straight from "Chain reaction", effectively forming a side long piece. The mood however changes to a softer ambient atmosphere with little overt music as such, just waves of sound.

For an album released in 1974, "Soon over Babaluma" is an astonishingly forward looking and imaginative album. That however does not necessarily make it either good or enjoyable. Personally, while I admire the band's creativity, in musical terms the album leaves me cold.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#136321) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 05, 2007

3 stars CAN's first record without Damo Suzuki would turn out ok, but for me the magic is lost. Karoli and Schmidt would share the vocals, and they're both ok as they sing in a low key.

"Dizzy Dizzy" opens with percusion and violin as distant sounding vocals from Karoli come in. This song has that catchy groove CAN is known for. "Come Sta, La Luna" opens with percussion as Scmidt comes in vocally with keys. Spoken words follow. Some guitar after 1 1/2 minutes in. Violin a minute later. Themes are repeated. "Splash" is more uptempo as percussion and violin lead the way. The violin seems distorted at times,or maybe dissonant is the word. My favourite part of the whole album is the guitar playing on this song beginning 2 minutes in. They're just jamming during most of this song. Nice. My favourite track.

"Chain Reaction" builds to a good beat before the tempo slows before 4 minutes. Vocals come in courtesy of Karoli and guitar. The tempo picks back up as screeching guitar comes in. It slows down again after 8 minutes. Vocals return. "Quantum Physics" takes a while to really get going, although it may not be right to say it ever does get going. Haha. There is a steady beat 2 1/2 minutes in but it's brief. It's spacey 5 1/2 minutes in. Just not much happening for 8 1/2 minutes.

For me this is barely 3 stars. Especially when compared to their past albums, this is a bit of a disappointment.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#178988) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars If ever there was an album that fit Frank Zappa's album title "Trance Fusion", this would be it. Here we have five tracks of Can's high energy hypnotic jams. And for the most part, this album entertains.

It begins with "Dizzy Dizzy", a reggae jam with a whispered vocal percussion and nice violin riffing by Michael Karoli. Next is "Come Sta, La Luna", which to me sounds like what you would get if you allowed Can to reinterpret "The Girl From Ipanema". Then "Splash", one of the few times I can recall this band venturing into an unconventional time signature, 7/8. The album concludes with "Chain Reaction", another jam, that's pretty mesmerizing, until the somewhat lame vocals begin. This song then melds into "Quatum Physics", with percussionist Liebezeit and bassist Czukay just flying along.

I'd give this one 3.5 stars.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221871) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 19, 2009

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Soon Over Babaluma" is the 6th full-length studio album by German Krautrock/experimental rock act Can. The album was released through United Artists/Spoon/Mute in November 1974. Japanese lead vocalist Damo Suzuki jumped ship soon after the release of "Future Days (1973)" to marry his German girlfriend and become a Jehovah's Witness, so "Soon Over Babaluma" was a kind of new start for the band. Can opted to continue as a four-piece and not hire a new lead vocalist. The vocals on the album are handled by guitarist Michael Karoli and Keyboard player Irmin Schmidt.

"Soon Over Babaluma" features 5 tracks, distributed over a 43:22 minutes long playing time. The two opening tracks "Dizzy Dizzy" and "Come sta, La Luna" are the most accessible tracks on the album. Both feature vocals and Michael Karoli plays violin which is a new feature in Canīs soundscape. The rhythm section are still one of the greatest assets of Canīs music. Repetitive yet complex adventurous playing. The overall impression of the tracks are that they are organized jams that have evolved into structured songs, which is pretty much like itīs always been with Can. "Splash" touches jazz rock/fusion territory while the 11:12 minutes long "Chain Reaction" has time to go through different atmospheres and features many adventurous ideas. "Quantum Physics" closes "Soon Over Babaluma". Itīs an atmopheric and ambient track.

The sound production is of good quality but not as great as the sound productions on earlier releases by the band. Actually both sound production, songwriting, and musicianship have declined slightly since "Future Days (1973)". Not to a degree where "Soon Over Babaluma" isnīt worth listening to or anything like that, and itīs still a recommendable release, but ultimately itīs slightly less interesting than itīs predecessors. A 3.5 star (70%) rating is warranted.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#230458) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 08, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Soon Over Babaluma is certainly not one of the easier Can albums to get into. Damo Suzuki had left the band, taking with him the more directly expressive and emotional part of the Can. So even for a seasoned Krautoneer, it takes a while to get into the more subdued and subtly layered music on this album.

The first 3 tracks are still fairly accessible. With their short running time, catchy vocals and mesmerizing beauty, Dizzy Dizzy and Come Sta are immediate winners. Splash shifts a level higher in terms of accessibilty. The music is looser, fully improvised and jazzy.

The remaining half of the album poses the real challenge. Chain Reaction left me completely untouched for years, not sounding like much more then a jumble of wild ideas with few flashes of inspiration. The first half of Quantum Physics didn't strike me as any better. Only the second half of that song had more immediate appeal to me due to the ambient avant-garde noise and subtle percussion. But after a year of exploring improvised and avant music I find both to be brilliant.

As usual the conclusion is to never give up on an album, certainly not on a good one, and especially so where it concerns music that you fail to 'get' or understand. The problem was me, not the music.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#247251) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars If you are interested in reggae meeting Kraut, then I guess that you will be delighted when your ears will be caught by Ŧ Dizzy Dizzy ŧ which opens this album. Let's say that it is not my feeling nor cup of tea (the mix I mean, since I appreciate reggae for quite a long time). Press next. Actually "Come Sta, La Luna" also features some Jamaican flavours, but it is more hypnotic and spacey. Still, it is no big deal.

The first good track from this album is "Splash" which shows a more kraut-classic oriented music. If ever it means something. Good psyche mood, good beat (drumming is as always excellent). Some Latino influence is more than welcome for sure.

Wild beat again for "Chain Reaction" which features some great guitar work but offers no more than that. The beat is repetitive, monotonous. I can't tell that vocals are impressive either. All in all, this is quite an average track.

The minimalist closing number is hard to describe. Improvisation (or testing maybe) is what we get there. This track is definitely not going to propel this album into my top 500 for sure. Two stars even if this album which was released in 74 was quite avant garde for the time.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#285047) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 05, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars In theory, after he had such a (relatively) limited role on Future Days, the departure of Suzuki shouldn't have had such an influence on the band's quality, yet here I am, giving this album a lower rating than its predecessor. I mentioned back in my Soundtracks review that (paraphrasing) the band sounded totally revitalized once it had injected Damo into its bloodstream, and unfortunately it seems that him leaving had the inverse effect on the group. There's a tentative feel to these tracks that's ever so bothersome to me, not in the least limited to the vocals (the vocals don't really bother me at all, actually), and it confirms to me that the band couldn't really go anywhere but down from here on out, even if they don't actually sound bad by any reasonable definition.

The first two tracks, to be fair, are quite nice. The opener, "Dizzy Dizzy," is kinda in the same "spacey" vein as the quieter stuff on the last vein, with a bunch of violin passages sliding around a low-key, almost bouncy rhythm. The vocals, done by Karoli in a manner completely unlike anything Damo would have ever done, are mostly built around him whispering/chanting, "Got to get it-it up, got to get it-it over" again and again, punctuated by an occasional chant of the title of the song. It really matches the atmosphere of the cover, I think; I can easily see myself flying along that landscape with this in the background.

The following track, "Come Sta, La Luna," features Schmidt on vocals (he's mildly grating when he sings the title, but it kinda works here), mostly with him muttering over yet another clever, hypnotic rhythmic pattern. There's an awful lot of un-altered piano here, especially for a Can album, and it gives a feeling of depth to the sound that, in conjunction with the usual dose of odd noises, really milks the "spacey" vibe these guys are going for quite well. So far, so good.

However, we then hit Splash, which is the first time in a while that Can sound, dare I say it, truly uninspired. What it reminds me of most, actually, is the beginning of the middle section of "Trilogy" by ELP, where Emerson spends a good couple of minutes wanking over a pattern almost identical to the one here. The violin, guitar and keyboard passages here are technically solid, yes, but for a band whose main calling card has been doing jams of a kind that nobody else in the world could properly imitate, mere technical prowess is simply not enough. It's not bad, but not particularly special. Similarly, the 11-minute "Chain Reaction" is rhythmic in a way that isn't anything new, and while all these dancey guitar lines work well with the drums in creating a proto-techno effect, and while there are some bits of vaguely melodic groove near the end, it just doesn't come together into something I can get excited about.

And then there's "Quantum Physics," which isn't nasty but sounds like an outtake from the Future Days sessions. I do like how the drums kinda move up and down in the mix (mostly staying incredibly quiet, of course), and I like the overall feel and the way the synths sound, but I'm kinda disappointed that there aren't any moments of sheer beauty like in, say, "Bel Air." It's nice and futuristic-sounding and all that, but there's just not that extra something that has made me like the band's previous work as much as I have.

Still, it's a nice enough album, just not an especially essential one. If you really, really dig on Future Days and the "cosmic" sound and atmosphere of that one, you'll want this one, and somebody looking to get into post-Damo Can will probably be best off going with this one first. Don't get your expectations up too high, though.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#293472) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 05, 2010

Review by Warthur
5 stars Can's first album without a dedicated lead singer is a tour de force for the group. Without a vocalist on board, the band feel less need to create space for the vocals in their music and focus solely on their instrumental performances, singing only when they feel the music demands it. Michael Karoli's vocal contributions are the best of the group, his additions to Dizzy Dizzy in particular contributing to the sound of the composition much as Damo Suzuki's might have. The album's heart is the hypnotic and compelling duo of Chain Reaction and Quantum Physics, and overall this a masterful album which (as others have pointed out) would eventually exert a powerful influence over the post-rock scene.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#532011) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 25, 2011

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars Can is another prog icon that I have often neglected, save for this album which I have always adored for some obscure reason. They were always strange bedfellows, a band that, much like the German National soccer team, play together as a unit or Mannschaft. No star solo heroes here. Whereas we are used to separation between instruments to the point of immediate identification of style, Can blends all into a dense cocktail of sound where Karoli's guitar, Schmidt's keys, Czukay's bass are all blended effortlessly. Only Liebezeit keeps the beat obvious and the percussion torrential. Certainly the first series of albums are legendary but my trio remains Future Days, Soon Over Babaluma and Landed, who incidentally or not ,are natural discographic progressions. The cover artwork has been a constant source of attraction, the original vinyl yielding a silver/blue map of seismic peaks and greenish valleys. "Dizzy Dizzy" is remindful, in style and feel, of Roxy Music's masterstroke and harbinger of future electronica , 1971's The Bogus Man". How can music be minimalist and lush at the same time, you ask? Well, Eno just continued the style espoused by these Kraut rockers with his Another Green Worlds of oddball /ambient/psychedelia. Throw some vaporous violin, brisk reggae e-guitar, some obscure keyboards, oblique bass and shifting rhythmic pulsations, all together with some hushed vocalizations and you get dizzy!

"Come Sta La Luna" is creepy, choppy, dissonant, confusing and outright bizarre. Imagine a decadent electronic tango with dilettante wannabees, cheap red wine and pungent cigarettes both smeared by overflowing lipstick. Extreme sonic environment, to say the least. "Splash" is a percu-fest, Liebezeit going berserk on his kit, while Karoli ravages his violin/guitar arsenal. Nasty stuff! At times, the guitar navigates like Santana on acid, a weird and pervasive sense of lunacy invades the soul.

But the core of this sublime album is the next 2 epics, "Chain Reaction" and "Quantum Physics", both loyal to the Bogus Man feel mentioned earlier and hence highly explorative, delirious and meandering. Here are the overtly sprouting seeds of electronica, world music, funky psychedelia and so much more. I mean this is not very feminine music, no massive melodies that one can sing along and no poignant lyrics. "Chain Reaction" is shadowy, murky, greasy and rude. It is also erotic, sensual and kinky, musically speaking. Soundtrack for a dominatrix! Liebezeit in particular demonstrates a riffling technique that knows no respite, plowing mercilessly forward on some obsessive inspiration, sweat dripping down his chin, or is that drool? Not the easiest stuff to listen to, bored housewives hooked on AM radio would probably slice open their wrists at the mere thought of such cerebral sounds. "Quantum Physics" is just the natural evolution of their inspiration, impenetrable electronics, foggy rhythms, opaque bass and drums that must have duck tape on them, so cavernous is the thud. Hypnotically inclined, cleverly elliptical and expertly-mental, this is the essence of music in 1973, progressing from Chuck Berry and Bill Haley to some distant sonic heaven. Off the wall, meandering on the wood flooring, into the drain, down the pipe, across the yard and ultimately joining the river. This happens often when you are over Babaluma.

When friends ask me what is the strangest album I have, I invariably whip out this one, to go with Penguin Café Orchestra, Pavlov's Dog, Weidorje, Universal Totem Orchestra and Sparks. It causes quite a stir, so I have a straight jacket handy. You never know when someone gets dizzy dizzy.

4.5 tin tins

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#690825) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 26, 2012

5 stars During the height of "post rock" in the 90s, I went nuts over Can. So did a lot of people at that time, even though their best music was from the early/mid 70s. But by the mid/late 90s a lot of "alternative" was so commercial we were all burning out on it. Indie Rock was the place to be, e ... (read more)

Report this review (#273752) | Posted by akajazzman | Tuesday, March 23, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Imagine this scene. Imagine a modern sort of Rome, a great empire spread across continents. It rose up under one great leader, and was then followed by a new, even greater leader who brought this Rome to new heights. Then imagine this leader being unfit to lead, and having to leave. Rome has ... (read more)

Report this review (#115879) | Posted by Pnoom! | Wednesday, March 21, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Saw this CD in the bargain bin for $3.99, and since I drive alot for my job, decided to pick it up and was pleasantly surprised by this album. I have seen Can on this site, but this was my 1st CD, and although it was somewhat slow moving, it was nice and spacey to listen to on my 4 hour drive ... (read more)

Report this review (#104113) | Posted by | Thursday, December 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I find myself looking at the work of Can in a somewhat objective light, rather than an emotional, subjective one...to me, Can can (sic) sometimes put experimentation above listener involvement - and in doing so they could be far more self indulgent than many of the contemporary so-called prog ... (read more)

Report this review (#74609) | Posted by Phil | Tuesday, April 11, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The most uneven Can's album. Some realy beautyfull works (Come Sta, La Luna (my favourite song from LP, this strange vocal interpretation of Shmidt, and connetion of flamenco and psychodelic rythms gave grat efect), Splash (but it is to long a bit), Chain Reaction (one minus of this is that colou ... (read more)

Report this review (#23283) | Posted by | Monday, April 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Soon Over Babaluma"