SOON OVER BABALUMA

Can Soon Over Babaluma album cover

Buy CAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1974

1. Dizzy Dizzy (5:40)
2. Come sta, La Luna (5:44)
3. Splash (7:47)
4. Chain Reaction (11:12)
5. Quantum Physics (8:33)

Search CAN Soon Over Babaluma lyrics

Search CAN Soon Over Babaluma tabs

- Holger Czukay / bass
- Michael Karoli / guitar, violin, vocals on No. 1, 4
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards, vocals on No. 2

Mute Records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Soon Over Babaluma Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute U.S. 2008
LEE ROGERS: Love Can Really Hurt You Deep ? 1967 Wheelsville 45 NORTHERN SOUL US $27.99 Buy It Now 30m 11s
Echobelly - I Can't Imagine The World Rare Gatefold CD US $5.24 Buy It Now 30m 56s
Very Good - Best I Can Be US $7.17 Buy It Now 31m 19s
Ambassadors - Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You M- PROMO!!! ONE SIDED!!! US $29.99 [0 bids]
31m 35s
FRANK ZAPPA**VOL.1: YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE**2 CD SET US $11.95 Buy It Now 31m 40s
NEW - How Blue Can You Get by Hopkins, Linda US $5.84 Buy It Now 31m 53s
THE BEATLES Day Tripper We Can Work It Out 45rpm Picture Sleeve Great US $28.95 [0 bids]
31m 57s
Bill Pursell [our winter love][A wound time can't erase] 45rpm Columbia records US $36.49 Buy It Now 33m 12s
BROOKS & DUNN * I CAN'T GET OVER YOU & WAY GONE * 45RPM US $5.00 Buy It Now 33m 20s
Brownstone-I can't tell you why-1995 cd single US $5.08 Buy It Now 33m 41s
BUBBLEROCK - (I CAN'T GET NO) SATISFACTION 7" VINYL US $7.62 Buy It Now 34m 46s
BUBBLEROCK - (I CAN'T GET NO) SATISFACTION 7" VINYL US $7.62 Buy It Now 34m 54s
THE BEE GEES -(45)- I'VE GOTTA GET A MESSAGE TO YOU / KITTY CAN - ATCO-6603-1968 US $9.99 Buy It Now 35m 1s
STATUS QUO If you can't stand... Poster Size press advert cutting/clipping 1978 US $20.28 Buy It Now 35m 5s
Patricia Conroy ~ What Else Can I Do (promo CD single) (Pookie Bear / 1996) US $0.99 Buy It Now 35m 29s
Madonna - You Can Dance - 1987 - Sire Records - Vinyl Album - LP US $15.99 Buy It Now 35m 38s
COCO MONTOYA - CAN'T LOOK BACK - NEW CD US $15.17 Buy It Now 37m 56s
CAN YOU FEEL THE FORCE? REAL THING 1978 PYE RECORDS 7N 46147 PICTURE SLEEVE US $0.02 [0 bids]
38m 3s
DEAD CAN DANCE-AION GREECE LP VINYL 1990 RARE! Inner lyrics NEAR MINT PROMO US $33.93 [0 bids]
38m 10s
All You Can Eat by k.d. lang (CD, Oct-1995, Warner Bros.) US $4.99 Buy It Now 40m 4s
TRES "I CAN'T HANG ON ANY LONGER" 1990 ELECTRONIC FUNK SOUL DISCO US $7.99 Buy It Now 41m 3s
Can't Cry Anymore / No One Said It Would Be Easy by Sheryl Crow US $2.49 Buy It Now 41m 20s
JOE JACKSON * YOU CAN'T GET WHAT YOU WANT & CHA CHA LOCO * 45 RPM US $4.75 Buy It Now 41m 26s
NEW - Can't Get Away From the Dog US $5.50 Buy It Now 42m 42s
Funk 45 RON HOLDEN I Need Ya / Can You Talk NOW Records Vg+ US $8.99 [0 bids]
43m 8s
FATS DOMINO* BLUE BERRY HILL / I CAN'T GO ON *EX US $4.11 [2 bids]
43m 14s
You Can Be Anyone This Time Around by Timothy Leary (CD, Oct-1992, Ryko... US $5.00 Buy It Now 43m 24s
I CAN MAKE A MESS ENOLA LP VINYL NEW US $25.44 Buy It Now 43m 29s
Merle Haggard 45 Love Me When You Can / It's Been A Great Afternoo Vinyl Record US $2.99 Buy It Now 43m 30s
HOOD salvation 12" 3 track test press b/w nitromix and you can't blackmail jesus US $17.23 Buy It Now 44m 13s
1979 - CAMEL - I Can See Your House From Here + Tour - Press Advert Poster Size US $15.26 Buy It Now 44m 28s
Dead Can Dance - Lisa Gerrard - 3 full albums in 2 CD - Rare Russian Edition US $49.99 Buy It Now 45m 16s
CD: Can Can - Bad Manners - Sealed US $21.81 Buy It Now 45m 52s
Disco 12" ~ Floyd Smith ~ I Just Can't Give You Up ~ Salsoul ~ mp3 WLP VG+ US $13.50 [2 bids]
46m 57s
SUZY QUATRO - CAN THE CAN - PORTUGAL 45 SINGLE US $12.00 Buy It Now 47m 31s
POP WALLPAPER strawberry letter 23 12" 2 track b/w nothing can call me back (spa US $10.69 Buy It Now 48m 10s
BROTHER BEYOND - CAN YOU KEEP A SECRET - PORTUGAL 45 FREE SHIPPING US $15.00 Buy It Now 48m 14s
I CAN EAGLE ROCK: JOOK JOINT BLUES / VARIOUS NEW CD US $24.06 Buy It Now 49m 7s
SECOND IMAGE can't keep holding on 12" 2 track b/w images (pospx336) uk polydor US $9.18 Buy It Now 49m 38s
Can I Get A... [Vinyl], Ja, Amil-Lion, Jay-Z, New Single US $24.99 Buy It Now 50m 11s
Best Of Sparks, The: Music That You Can Dance To, Sparks, New US $15.39 Buy It Now 50m 44s
THE RIDES CAN'T GET ENOUGH LP VINYL NEW US $28.84 Buy It Now 51m 20s
VAN HALEN why can't this be love 12" 2 track extended mix b/w get up (w8740t) pi US $8.56 Buy It Now 52m 26s
CD: I Can See You - Black Flag - Sealed US $15.87 Buy It Now 52m 41s
Stryper -Can't Stop The Rock: The Stryper Collection Cd US $17.99 Buy It Now 53m 17s
THE ANIMALS We Gotta Get Out Of This Place / I Can't Believe It 45 NM NOS On MGM US $4.50 [0 bids]
53m 39s
ASMUS TIETCHENS Biotop LP BRAND NEW Krautrock Kluster Can Faust US $18.99 Buy It Now 54m 10s
PHIL COLLINS - You Can't Hurry Love - Scarce 1982 UK 7" US $10.17 Buy It Now 54m 11s
THE HONEYCOMBS i'll cry tomorrow / i can't stop 7" VG INTERPHON IN 7713 US $11.20 Buy It Now 54m 28s
Disco Funk 12" ~ Dynamos ~ You Can Do It By Yourself ~ Dynamo ~ mp3 VG++ US $7.99 [1 bids]
54m 54s
ASMUS TIETCHENS Spat-Europa LP BRAND NEW Krautrock Kluster Can Faust US $18.99 Buy It Now 57m 42s
VILLAGE PEOPLE Can't Stop The Music 7" Vinyl Record French Mercury 1980 EX US $10.17 Buy It Now 58m 37s
BON JOVI Box Set - 100,000,000 Fans Can't Be Wrong / 4 CDs & 1 DVD US $19.99 Buy It Now 59m 54s
Gamal Abdel Nasser Lp I Can Hear It Now w Edward R. Murrow Rare Mono 6 Eye US $4.99 Buy It Now 59m 54s
BOBBY VEE More Than I Can Say 7" Single Vinyl Record 45rpm London 1960 US $10.17 Buy It Now 1h
HOLLY GOLIGHTLY - YOU CAN'T BUY A GUN WHEN YOU'RE CRYING NEW CD US $22.52 Buy It Now 1h
DARK SANCTUARY - Royaume mélancolique (1999) Original Dead Can Dance US $99.91 [0 bids]
1h
VELVET UNDERGROUND: Foggy Notion / I Can't Stand It 45 (PS, Mono, yellow vinyl, US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h
RAY BARRETTO-CAN YOU FEEL IT-JAPAN CD B50 US $14.50 Buy It Now 1h 2m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR The Least We Can Do... 180g vinyl 2LP SEALED/NEW US $33.93 Buy It Now 1h 2m
PHIL COLLINS - You Can't Hurry Love - Scarce 1982 7" vinyl single US $10.17 Buy It Now 1h 4m
The L. H. Williams Choir Of the Master - Jesus Knows (Just How Much We Can Bear) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
STATUS QUO If you can't stand the Poster Size press advert cutting/clipping 1978 US $20.28 Buy It Now 1h 5m
LeAnn Rimes CD Can't Fight The Moonlight 8 TRACK REMIXES Curb US $1.39 [0 bids]
Ronnie Rice Sometimes I Can't Be There 1981 45rpm PROMO US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Koncrete Kite ~ Can Of Bliss (No Bull Productions / 1997 CD) US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Don Henley I Can't Stand Still LP Asylum Records E1-60048 Vinyl is VG + US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Breathe A&M 45 Record #1224 EX How Can I Fall? / Monday Morning Blues US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
SUGAR-IF I CAN'T CHANGE YOUR MIND 4 TRKS CREATION CRESCD 149L UK CD US $6.01 Buy It Now 1h 6m
BACHELORS~NO ARMS CAN EVER HOLD YOU~UK 7" DECCA F.12034 US $5.94 Buy It Now 1h 7m
BARRY RYAN~CAN'T LET YOU GO~1971 UK 7" POLYDOR 2001-256 US $5.94 Buy It Now 1h 7m
MADONNA YOU CAN DANCE NM LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
Gary Numan I Can't Stop Club Mix , Faces Uk 10" US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Gary Numan I Can't Stop Extended , Faces Uk 12" US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Tony Bennett: Who Can I Turn To? arranged and conducted by Siravo; Vinyl LP US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 8m
CALIFORNIA - I CAN HEAR MUSIC 7" VINYL US $10.17 Buy It Now 1h 9m
MATT SCHOFIELD FAR AS I CAN SEE LP VINYL NEW US $40.72 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Garland Green You Can't Get Away That Easy DJ Promo 45 vG++ US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Pozo Seco Singers I Can Make It With You promo DJ LP VG++ glossy vinyl US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
BIG YOUTH Can't Take Wah Happen On A West 45 PS COVER Negusa Nagast LISTEN HEAR US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
CAN - I WANT MORE 7" VINYL US $7.62 Buy It Now 1h 11m
All You Can Eat by K.D. Lang (CD, Oct-1995, Warner Bros.) US $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
FERRANTE & TEICHER-RARE PROMO- WHAT MORE CAN I SAY US $10.39 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Lionel Richie Can't Slow Down, Motown, ZL 72020, LP 12" US $11.87 Buy It Now 1h 14m
SHAKESPEARS SISTER UK 1996 CD Single I CAN DRIVE NearMINT US $6.77 Buy It Now 1h 15m
NEW - Can't Stop (Bonus CD) by Hanson & Davis US $5.01 Buy It Now 1h 17m
JIMMY CLIFF - I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW - 5 MIX CD SINGLE 1993 US $6.70 Buy It Now 1h 17m
CARL LEWIS - CAN'T GET BY WITHOUT YOU 7" VINYL US $7.62 Buy It Now 1h 17m
BAD COMPANY - Can't Get Enough - Original 1974 USA 2-track vinyl 7" single US $15.26 Buy It Now 1h 17m
LA CAGE AUX FOLLES: KARAOKE HITS YOU CAN / VARIOUS NEW CD US $31.00 Buy It Now 1h 19m
House 12" ~ Fingers Inc ~ Can You Feel It ~ Desire ~ mp3 VG++ US $9.50 [3 bids]
TANITA TIKARAM Can't Go Back CD SOUTH AFRICA Cat# EDCD 103 *sealed* US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
DEBBIE HARRY Blondie UK 1993 12" Single I CAN SEE CLEARLY DiscNEW US $10.17 Buy It Now 1h 20m
SURVIVOR 1984 pic sleeve 45 rpm I CAN'T HOLD BACK b/w I See You In Everyone MINT US $4.50 Buy It Now 1h 20m
PHIL COLLINS USA 1982 PROMO 12" Single You Can't Hurry Love DiscNEW US $22.05 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Disco 12" ~ Floyd Smith ~ I Just Can't Give You Up ~ Salsoul ~ mp3 VG++ US $13.00 [3 bids]
GEORGE McCRAE-I Can't Leave You Alone-SOUL DISCO PROMO US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Northern Soul 45 GENE CHANDLER You Can't Hurt Me No More CONSTELLATION Records US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Boogie Funk 12" ~ Funk Fusion Band ~ Can You Feel It ~ WMOT ~ mp3 VG++ US $17.50 [3 bids]
(727Z) Embrace, I Can't Come Down - DJ CD US $5.08 Buy It Now 1h 26m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Soon Over Babaluma ratings distribution

CAN Soon Over Babaluma reviews

Review by corbet
4 stars This was my first CAN album, and although I liked it superficially, I was in for a big surprise when I got "Tago Mago" next. That is to say, this is actually quite a weird album when you consider the rest of their classic-period releases, and shouldn't be lumped in with the rest without a few words of caution (and ultimately, praise). First off, singer Damo Suzuki is gone, and while this shouldn't have changed things too much considering CAN's instrumental nature, things have quite obviously changed! The opening track "Dizzy Dizzy" has an almost reggae-like vibe, and the second song has a weird Latin (or something, you tell me) thing going on. Later in CAN's career we get to see all sorts of quazi-"ethnic" explorations (for better or worse), and it all begins most clearly on this album. So, if you are like I was at one point and just want Tago Mago's in-your-face psychedelic romps over and over again... nope! However, as time went on and I began to sink more deeply into an appreciation of CAN's subtler side (Future Days: best album ever), I revisited Soon Over Babaluma to discover a world of minimalist perfection and icy, alien beauty. Side 2, in particular, is a masterpiece of otherworldy music. "Chain Reaction" and "Quantum Physics" form what is in essence one piece: the first song is the "explicit" half, carried by a steady kick-drum pulse with choppy electronics and blistering guitar solos covering every inch, which all then suddenly drop away to reveal "Quantum Physics," a chilled, shimmering atmosphere of ambient sounds and subtle rhythms, all never departing from the (now implied) core tempo. When the whole thing hits you under the proper circumstances, it's nothing short of musical revelation. The first two tracks are perfect in a lazy, quirky manner, and "Splash" is a delectable CAN jam with breezy keyboard washes and great guitar soloing. Essential music! There is a distinct mood which I have learned to recognize as the "Babaluma mood," and when that moment comes, nothing short of this album (or the few "Babalumas" recorded by other bands) will do.. if you know what I mean...

Send comments to corbet (BETA) | Report this review (#23279) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 02, 2004

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars As with its predecessor, Future Days, this one is more atmospheric, more spacey but also weak in the production department and plagued with sometimes-poor sound (at least on my copy). A characteristic of German Prog sound (or Krautrock) is that most of the records have this unfinished production, raw sound, and unrefined arrangements - in a few words one cannot say that Can, ADII or Ash Ra (and Others...) are keen on over-production. This is sitting fine with me but can be difficult for neo-progheads used to such clean sounding records that reach perfection in the production dept. All of the preceding albums were self-produced and distributed by their own label (I think) and therefore adding up to the musical aesthetics and ethics by these true rebels (Ammon Duul was polit-rock as most late sixties German group were also very leftist activist). This one should get another half-star but the sound dynamics are not a plus here. One can not help but thinking, when looking at the sheer amount of classic records they put out, how successful they might have been if they had used an English production for those.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#23278) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Review by loserboy
4 stars CAN were always on the cutting edge of avante-garde progressive rock blending heavy ethnic rock with industrial electronic atmospheres in bizarre like extended jam. "Soon Over Babaluma" continues CAN's quest into the land of the ultimate psychedelic space jam without Damo Suzuki's vocals. This album focuses much less on the vocal aspect in Suzuki's absence enabling the lads to innovate some wicked grooves and mind warping landscapes. I personally have always loved CAN's approach to music and find it terribly progressive. Tapestries of violin and guitar are superimposed over the frenzied drumming of Jaki Liebeaeit (who is simply an amazing percussionist), Droned bass accents by band leader Holger Czukay all surrounded by tasty keyboard atmospheric samples. Highlight for me is the combination of epic track "ChainReaction" and last number "Quantum Physics" which bring out arguably the best work of CAN ever. "Soon Over Babaluma" is a wonderful work of art and is regarded by many as the shining moment for CAN.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#23280) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 21, 2004

Review by soundsweird
4 stars My first Can album, purchased shortly after its release. My friends and I were also listening to Robert Wyatt's "Rock Bottom" and Gong's famous trilogy at the time. When you think about it, all three acts injected a welcome dose of humor into their work. I remember hearing "Future Days" and "Ege Bamyasi" a year or two later, but found them unappealing at the time. I think it's difficult to work backwards with some groups; in the case of Can, you're going from a spacy but polished sound back to a wilder, more primitive style, and it just doesn't work for me. I liked one of the pieces from "Tago Mago" (the one showing the biggest Stockhausen influence), but I could never appreciate Damo Suzuki or Malcolm Mooney at all. Anyway, this album began the string of my favorite Can albums. I love much of their solo material, as well.

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#23281) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars Anyone wanting a deeper understanding of what made CAN such a powerful band, and not only within the narrow circle of classic '70s Krautrock, should ponder the fate of Malcolm Mooney and Damo Suzuki. The two CAN vocalists (not merely "singers", please take note) each had to leave the group at the prompting of a higher authority: Mooney ending up all but chained to the psychiatrist's couch, and Suzuki disappearing within the apocalyptic embrace of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Now, I don't want to suggest that the music had any link with their later mental and / or emotional crises, but clearly this was a band circulating somewhere high above the usual rock 'n' roll circus of sex, drugs, and three-chord boogies.

The first album after Suzuki's abrupt departure found the band, in 1974, reduced to the core of its original quartet: Jaki Liebezeit, Holger Czukay, Michael Karoli, and Irmin Schmidt, playing, respectively (but like the members of GENTLE GIANT, not exclusively), drums, bass, guitar, and keyboards. On paper it looks like a normal enough line-up, but consider their separate backgrounds. Czukay and Schmidt were students of 20th Century avant-garde classical music; Karoli was an early fan of the Beatles; and Liebezeit was schooled in the near-noise of Free Jazz and other arcane ethnic rhythms (including, some whisper, forbidden voodoo drum rituals).

With a combined pedigree like that, it's no wonder CAN was such a musical force of nature. And all those influences were put into play here, in what could have been an unsettling period of transition, but turned out to be a career peak (that same year, they performed an epic, near 13-hour overnight concert in Berlin).

The album opens with the cool German-Jamaican vibe of "Dizzy Dizzy", the first of several flirtations with reggae, more examples of which would surface in the upcoming "Limited" / "Unlimited Edition" albums. "Come Sta, La Luna" sounds not unlike a tour of Fellini's Rome in La Dolce Vita, with Irmin Schmidt's voice (thankfully) masked behind a thick screen of electronic camouflage. And the instrumental "Splash" (a companion of sorts to the likeminded but mellower "Spray", off the previous "Future Days" album) is an absolutely ferocious improvisation in 7/8 time (I think), featuring the distorted sound of Karoli's treated violin, flying like shrapnel around a typically busy Jaki Liebezeit percussion volley.

But all the remaining musical barriers are well and truly broken on the final two tracks: "Chain Reaction" and "Quantum Physics", actually a single, uninterrupted 20- minute tour of inner and outer space. The titles are more literal than you might imagine, recalling an atom-age combo of Edward Teller, Robert Oppenheimer, Max Planck, and Werner Heisenberg (with Einstein calling the tune, of course).

It begins with a hypertense dance groove beamed down from some far-flung alien discotheque, which after ten minutes gradually dissipates into a long, proto-ambient euthanasia chill-out, maybe the best sonic illustration of infinity since Pythagoras first heard the Music of the Spheres. The subtly shifting auroras of Irmin Schmidt's keyboards, with Jaki Liebezeit's quietly percolating electronic percussion, would later spark an entire generation of sound sculptors and high-tech navel gazers (THE ORB, BIOSPHERE, you name 'em). But the original role model, one of several from Germany in the 1970's, is still spellbinding, even allowing for the restrictions of its relatively primitive two-track recording technology.

The album proved to be the last in a cycle of classic CAN recordings dating to before the turn of the decade. The next step would be a contract with Virgin Records, access to multi-track recording facilities, and even a Top-30 hit single two years down the road. All achieved at the expense of their original musical alchemy, say diehard fans. I don't entirely agree, but no one can argue that "Soon Over Babaluma" put the final edge of gilt on an already sterling reputation.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#43383) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars An album to appreciate, but not necessarily enjoy

Can's 1974 follow up to "Future days" was this intriguingly titled album consisting of just five tracks. This album was the last Can release to be recorded on two track equipment, on subsequent albums the band finally utilised the technical advances which had been made in the studio environment. With the departure of Damo Suzuki after the release of "Future days", the lead vocalist slot became rather unsettled, with Michael Karoli singing on two tracks here and Irmin Schmidt on one. Who is the vocalist is however largely academic as there is virtually no singing as such, the voices generally being used as a percussive instrument.

"Dizzy dizzy", which opens the album has an odd, reggae like beat backing floating violin and mumbled chanting. Such a description may sound confused and unattractive, but the results are reasonably captivating. "Come sta, La Luna" continues the odd rhythms, but this time with more of a rock orientation. Guitar is the lead instrument here, the repetitive vocals being a bit more orthodox but still not sung by any means.

"Splash", the third and final track on side one is a straightforward jazz fusion type improvisation featuring guitar then electric violin. The rather sparse rhythm section focuses on the frantic drumming of Jaki Liebezeit, Holger Czukay's bass being all but inaudible.

The 11˝ minute "Chain reaction" is the longest track on the album. The pulsating, disco like rhythms lay the foundations for a lengthy, rather unstructured improvisation based once again around violin and guitar. "Quantum physics" segues straight from "Chain reaction", effectively forming a side long piece. The mood however changes to a softer ambient atmosphere with little overt music as such, just waves of sound.

For an album released in 1974, "Soon over Babaluma" is an astonishingly forward looking and imaginative album. That however does not necessarily make it either good or enjoyable. Personally, while I admire the band's creativity, in musical terms the album leaves me cold.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#136321) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 05, 2007

3 stars CAN's first record without Damo Suzuki would turn out ok, but for me the magic is lost. Karoli and Schmidt would share the vocals, and they're both ok as they sing in a low key.

"Dizzy Dizzy" opens with percusion and violin as distant sounding vocals from Karoli come in. This song has that catchy groove CAN is known for. "Come Sta, La Luna" opens with percussion as Scmidt comes in vocally with keys. Spoken words follow. Some guitar after 1 1/2 minutes in. Violin a minute later. Themes are repeated. "Splash" is more uptempo as percussion and violin lead the way. The violin seems distorted at times,or maybe dissonant is the word. My favourite part of the whole album is the guitar playing on this song beginning 2 minutes in. They're just jamming during most of this song. Nice. My favourite track.

"Chain Reaction" builds to a good beat before the tempo slows before 4 minutes. Vocals come in courtesy of Karoli and guitar. The tempo picks back up as screeching guitar comes in. It slows down again after 8 minutes. Vocals return. "Quantum Physics" takes a while to really get going, although it may not be right to say it ever does get going. Haha. There is a steady beat 2 1/2 minutes in but it's brief. It's spacey 5 1/2 minutes in. Just not much happening for 8 1/2 minutes.

For me this is barely 3 stars. Especially when compared to their past albums, this is a bit of a disappointment.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#178988) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars If ever there was an album that fit Frank Zappa's album title "Trance Fusion", this would be it. Here we have five tracks of Can's high energy hypnotic jams. And for the most part, this album entertains.

It begins with "Dizzy Dizzy", a reggae jam with a whispered vocal percussion and nice violin riffing by Michael Karoli. Next is "Come Sta, La Luna", which to me sounds like what you would get if you allowed Can to reinterpret "The Girl From Ipanema". Then "Splash", one of the few times I can recall this band venturing into an unconventional time signature, 7/8. The album concludes with "Chain Reaction", another jam, that's pretty mesmerizing, until the somewhat lame vocals begin. This song then melds into "Quatum Physics", with percussionist Liebezeit and bassist Czukay just flying along.

I'd give this one 3.5 stars.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221871) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 19, 2009

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Soon Over Babaluma" is the 6th full-length studio album by German Krautrock/experimental rock act Can. The album was released through United Artists/Spoon/Mute in November 1974. Japanese lead vocalist Damo Suzuki jumped ship soon after the release of "Future Days (1973)" to marry his German girlfriend and become a Jehovah's Witness. So "Soon Over Babaluma" was a kind of new start for the band. Can opted to continue as a four-piece and not hire a new lead vocalist. The vocals on the album are handled by guitarist Michael Karoli and Keyboard player Irmin Schmidt.

"Soon Over Babaluma" features 5 tracks, distributed over a 43:22 minutes long playing time. The two opening tracks "Dizzy Dizzy" and "Come sta, La Luna" are the most accessible tracks on the album. Both feature vocals and Michael Karoli plays violin which is a new feature in Can´s soundscape. The rythm section are still one of the greatest assets of Can´s music. Repetitive yet complex adventurous playing. The overall impression of the tracks are that they are organized jams that have evolved into structured songs, which is pretty much like it´s always been with Can. "Splash" touches jazz rock/fusion territory while the 11:12 minutes long "Chain Reaction" has time to go through different atmospheres and features many adventurous ideas. "Quantum Physics" closes "Soon Over Babaluma". It´s an atmopheric and ambient track.

The sound production is of good quality but not as great as the sound productions on earlier releases by the band. Actually both sound production, songwriting and musicianship have declined slightly since "Future Days (1973)". Not to a degree where "Soon Over Babaluma" isn´t worth listening to or anything like that, and it´s still a recommendable release, but ultimately it´s slightly less interesting than it´s predecessors. A 3.5 star (70%) rating is warranted.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#230458) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 08, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Soon Over Babaluma is certainly not one of the easier Can albums to get into. Damo Suzuki had left the band, taking with him the more directly expressive and emotional part of the Can. So even for a seasoned Krautoneer, it takes a while to get into the more subdued and subtly layered music on this album.

The first 3 tracks are still fairly accessible. With their short running time, catchy vocals and mesmerizing beauty, Dizzy Dizzy and Come Sta are immediate winners. Splash shifts a level higher in terms of accessibilty. The music is looser, fully improvised and jazzy.

The remaining half of the album poses the real challenge. Chain Reaction left me completely untouched for years, not sounding like much more then a jumble of wild ideas with few flashes of inspiration. The first half of Quantum Physics didn't strike me as any better. Only the second half of that song had more immediate appeal to me due to the ambient avant-garde noise and subtle percussion. But after a year of exploring improvised and avant music I find both to be brilliant.

As usual the conclusion is to never give up on an album, certainly not on a good one, and especially so where it concerns music that you fail to 'get' or understand. The problem was me, not the music.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#247251) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars If you are interested in reggae meeting Kraut, then I guess that you will be delighted when your ears will be caught by « Dizzy Dizzy » which opens this album. Let's say that it is not my feeling nor cup of tea (the mix I mean, since I appreciate reggae for quite a long time). Press next. Actually "Come Sta, La Luna" also features some Jamaican flavours, but it is more hypnotic and spacey. Still, it is no big deal.

The first good track from this album is "Splash" which shows a more kraut-classic oriented music. If ever it means something. Good psyche mood, good beat (drumming is as always excellent). Some Latino influence is more than welcome for sure.

Wild beat again for "Chain Reaction" which features some great guitar work but offers no more than that. The beat is repetitive, monotonous. I can't tell that vocals are impressive either. All in all, this is quite an average track.

The minimalist closing number is hard to describe. Improvisation (or testing maybe) is what we get there. This track is definitely not going to propel this album into my top 500 for sure. Two stars even if this album which was released in 74 was quite avant garde for the time.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#285047) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 05, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars In theory, after he had such a (relatively) limited role on Future Days, the departure of Suzuki shouldn't have had such an influence on the band's quality, yet here I am, giving this album a lower rating than its predecessor. I mentioned back in my Soundtracks review that (paraphrasing) the band sounded totally revitalized once it had injected Damo into its bloodstream, and unfortunately it seems that him leaving had the inverse effect on the group. There's a tentative feel to these tracks that's ever so bothersome to me, not in the least limited to the vocals (the vocals don't really bother me at all, actually), and it confirms to me that the band couldn't really go anywhere but down from here on out, even if they don't actually sound bad by any reasonable definition.

The first two tracks, to be fair, are quite nice. The opener, "Dizzy Dizzy," is kinda in the same "spacey" vein as the quieter stuff on the last vein, with a bunch of violin passages sliding around a low-key, almost bouncy rhythm. The vocals, done by Karoli in a manner completely unlike anything Damo would have ever done, are mostly built around him whispering/chanting, "Got to get it-it up, got to get it-it over" again and again, punctuated by an occasional chant of the title of the song. It really matches the atmosphere of the cover, I think; I can easily see myself flying along that landscape with this in the background.

The following track, "Come Sta, La Luna," features Schmidt on vocals (he's mildly grating when he sings the title, but it kinda works here), mostly with him muttering over yet another clever, hypnotic rhythmic pattern. There's an awful lot of un-altered piano here, especially for a Can album, and it gives a feeling of depth to the sound that, in conjunction with the usual dose of odd noises, really milks the "spacey" vibe these guys are going for quite well. So far, so good.

However, we then hit Splash, which is the first time in a while that Can sound, dare I say it, truly uninspired. What it reminds me of most, actually, is the beginning of the middle section of "Trilogy" by ELP, where Emerson spends a good couple of minutes wanking over a pattern almost identical to the one here. The violin, guitar and keyboard passages here are technically solid, yes, but for a band whose main calling card has been doing jams of a kind that nobody else in the world could properly imitate, mere technical prowess is simply not enough. It's not bad, but not particularly special. Similarly, the 11-minute "Chain Reaction" is rhythmic in a way that isn't anything new, and while all these dancey guitar lines work well with the drums in creating a proto-techno effect, and while there are some bits of vaguely melodic groove near the end, it just doesn't come together into something I can get excited about.

And then there's "Quantum Physics," which isn't nasty but sounds like an outtake from the Future Days sessions. I do like how the drums kinda move up and down in the mix (mostly staying incredibly quiet, of course), and I like the overall feel and the way the synths sound, but I'm kinda disappointed that there aren't any moments of sheer beauty like in, say, "Bel Air." It's nice and futuristic-sounding and all that, but there's just not that extra something that has made me like the band's previous work as much as I have.

Still, it's a nice enough album, just not an especially essential one. If you really, really dig on Future Days and the "cosmic" sound and atmosphere of that one, you'll want this one, and somebody looking to get into post-Damo Can will probably be best off going with this one first. Don't get your expectations up too high, though.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#293472) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 05, 2010

Review by Warthur
5 stars Can's first album without a dedicated lead singer is a tour de force for the group. Without a vocalist on board, the band feel less need to create space for the vocals in their music and focus solely on their instrumental performances, singing only when they feel the music demands it. Michael Karoli's vocal contributions are the best of the group, his additions to Dizzy Dizzy in particular contributing to the sound of the composition much as Damo Suzuki's might have. The album's heart is the hypnotic and compelling duo of Chain Reaction and Quantum Physics, and overall this a masterful album which (as others have pointed out) would eventually exert a powerful influence over the post-rock scene.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#532011) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 25, 2011

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars Can is another prog icon that I have often neglected, save for this album which I have always adored for some obscure reason. They were always strange bedfellows, a band that, much like the German National soccer team, play together as a unit or Mannschaft. No star solo heroes here. Whereas we are used to separation between instruments to the point of immediate identification of style, Can blends all into a dense cocktail of sound where Karoli's guitar, Schmidt's keys, Czukay's bass are all blended effortlessly. Only Liebezeit keeps the beat obvious and the percussion torrential. Certainly the first series of albums are legendary but my trio remains Future Days, Soon Over Babaluma and Landed, who incidentally or not ,are natural discographic progressions. The cover artwork has been a constant source of attraction, the original vinyl yielding a silver/blue map of seismic peaks and greenish valleys. "Dizzy Dizzy" is remindful, in style and feel, of Roxy Music's masterstroke and harbinger of future electronica , 1971's The Bogus Man". How can music be minimalist and lush at the same time, you ask? Well, Eno just continued the style espoused by these Kraut rockers with his Another Green Worlds of oddball /ambient/psychedelia. Throw some vaporous violin, brisk reggae e-guitar, some obscure keyboards, oblique bass and shifting rhythmic pulsations, all together with some hushed vocalizations and you get dizzy!

"Come Sta La Luna" is creepy, choppy, dissonant, confusing and outright bizarre. Imagine a decadent electronic tango with dilettante wannabees, cheap red wine and pungent cigarettes both smeared by overflowing lipstick. Extreme sonic environment, to say the least. "Splash" is a percu-fest, Liebezeit going berserk on his kit, while Karoli ravages his violin/guitar arsenal. Nasty stuff! At times, the guitar navigates like Santana on acid, a weird and pervasive sense of lunacy invades the soul.

But the core of this sublime album is the next 2 epics, "Chain Reaction" and "Quantum Physics", both loyal to the Bogus Man feel mentioned earlier and hence highly explorative, delirious and meandering. Here are the overtly sprouting seeds of electronica, world music, funky psychedelia and so much more. I mean this is not very feminine music, no massive melodies that one can sing along and no poignant lyrics. "Chain Reaction" is shadowy, murky, greasy and rude. It is also erotic, sensual and kinky, musically speaking. Soundtrack for a dominatrix! Liebezeit in particular demonstrates a riffling technique that knows no respite, plowing mercilessly forward on some obsessive inspiration, sweat dripping down his chin, or is that drool? Not the easiest stuff to listen to, bored housewives hooked on AM radio would probably slice open their wrists at the mere thought of such cerebral sounds. "Quantum Physics" is just the natural evolution of their inspiration, impenetrable electronics, foggy rhythms, opaque bass and drums that must have duck tape on them, so cavernous is the thud. Hypnotically inclined, cleverly elliptical and expertly-mental, this is the essence of music in 1973, progressing from Chuck Berry and Bill Haley to some distant sonic heaven. Off the wall, meandering on the wood flooring, into the drain, down the pipe, across the yard and ultimately joining the river. This happens often when you are over Babaluma.

When friends ask me what is the strangest album I have, I invariably whip out this one, to go with Penguin Café Orchestra, Pavlov's Dog, Weidorje, Universal Totem Orchestra and Sparks. It causes quite a stir, so I have a straight jacket handy. You never know when someone gets dizzy dizzy.

4.5 tin tins

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#690825) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 26, 2012

5 stars During the height of "post rock" in the 90s, I went nuts over Can. So did a lot of people at that time, even though their best music was from the early/mid 70s. But by the mid/late 90s a lot of "alternative" was so commercial we were all burning out on it. Indie Rock was the place to be, e ... (read more)

Report this review (#273752) | Posted by akajazzman | Tuesday, March 23, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Imagine this scene. Imagine a modern sort of Rome, a great empire spread across continents. It rose up under one great leader, and was then followed by a new, even greater leader who brought this Rome to new heights. Then imagine this leader being unfit to lead, and having to leave. Rome has ... (read more)

Report this review (#115879) | Posted by Pnoom! | Wednesday, March 21, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Saw this CD in the bargain bin for $3.99, and since I drive alot for my job, decided to pick it up and was pleasantly surprised by this album. I have seen Can on this site, but this was my 1st CD, and although it was somewhat slow moving, it was nice and spacey to listen to on my 4 hour drive ... (read more)

Report this review (#104113) | Posted by | Thursday, December 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I find myself looking at the work of Can in a somewhat objective light, rather than an emotional, subjective one...to me, Can can (sic) sometimes put experimentation above listener involvement - and in doing so they could be far more self indulgent than many of the contemporary so-called prog ... (read more)

Report this review (#74609) | Posted by Phil | Tuesday, April 11, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The most uneven Can's album. Some realy beautyfull works (Come Sta, La Luna (my favourite song from LP, this strange vocal interpretation of Shmidt, and connetion of flamenco and psychodelic rythms gave grat efect), Splash (but it is to long a bit), Chain Reaction (one minus of this is that colou ... (read more)

Report this review (#23283) | Posted by | Monday, April 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Soon Over Babaluma"