SOON OVER BABALUMA

Can Soon Over Babaluma album cover

Buy CAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1974

1. Dizzy Dizzy (5:40)
2. Come sta, La Luna (5:44)
3. Splash (7:47)
4. Chain Reaction (11:12)
5. Quantum Physics (8:33)

Search CAN Soon Over Babaluma lyrics

Search CAN Soon Over Babaluma tabs

- Holger Czukay / bass
- Michael Karoli / guitar, violin, vocals on No. 1, 4
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards, vocals on No. 2

Mute Records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Soon Over Babaluma Music

Monster MovieMonster Movie
Vinyl$17.49
Lost TapesLost Tapes
Mute 2012
BETTYE LAVETTE "Doin' The Best That I Can" 1978 disco 12" vinyl single record EX US $3.50 [0 bids]
29m 56s
RARE NORTHERN SOUL, LORRAINE CHANDLER, WHAT CAN I DO, ON RCA VICTOR 47-8810 US $100.00 [0 bids]
29m 56s
DIONNE WARWICK friends can be lovers 1993 CD JAPAN Whitney Houston B7858 US $3.00 [0 bids]
30m 9s
MADLEEN KANE: You Can/Mon Amour disco US $11.00 Buy It Now 31m 1s
GLASS FAMILY, THE: Mr. DJ You Know How To Make Me Dance/No One Can Find Love VG+ US $10.00 Buy It Now 31m 1s
GLORIA GAYNOR: Honey Bee/Never Can Say Goodbye (disco vinyl 45 PDG-108) US $5.00 Buy It Now 31m 2s
GLORIA GAYNOR: Never Can Say Goodbye/We Just Can't Make It (disco VG+ vinyl 45) US $6.00 Buy It Now 31m 2s
BONEY M: Ma Baker/A Woman Can Change A Man (disco NM vinyl 45 AT-3422) US $8.00 Buy It Now 31m 2s
BONNIE POINTER: I Can't Help Myself/I Wanna Make It (In Your World) (disco 45) US $5.00 Buy It Now 31m 2s
RAYDIO: You Can't Change That/Rock On (disco VG+ vinyl 45 AS-0399 Arista) US $8.00 Buy It Now 31m 2s
HAYWOODE i can't let you go 12" white label test pressing b/w be my kind of hero US $8.45 Buy It Now 31m 26s
LINDA RONSTADT - I Can't Let Go (Promo) US $4.00 Buy It Now 31m 31s
HAZELL DEAN love pains 12" 2 trk b/w more than words can say (doleq12) pic sleev US $8.45 Buy It Now 31m 55s
HEAD (80'S GROUP) i can't stop 12" 3 trk mental metal mix b/w ditchin' ma babee US $8.45 Buy It Now 32m 6s
HELLFIRE CLUB heaven can wait 12" 3 trk b/w confessin time and time to confess i US $8.45 Buy It Now 32m 57s
Dag Nasty Can I Say 1986 Dischord LP DC Hardcore Punk US $25.00 [0 bids]
33m 6s
SUZY Q: Can't Live Without Your Love PROMO disco US $16.00 Buy It Now 33m 10s
ERUPTION: I Can't Stand The Rain/Be Yourself disco US $11.00 Buy It Now 33m 10s
GERALDINE HUNT: Can't Fake The Feeling disco US $15.00 Buy It Now 33m 10s
MAGIC SLIM & THE TEARDROPS - ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN CD US $15.81 Buy It Now 33m 15s
SEALED U2 2CD SET ALL THAT YOU CAN LEAVE BEHIND /BONUS CD/SUMMER RAIN US $19.99 [0 bids]
33m 25s
THE HEROES (OZ 45 '84) RUSSIA AND AMERICA (WHY CAN'T WE BE FRIENDS)- POWDERWORKS US $8.76 Buy It Now 34m 33s
Pepsi & Shirley Can't Give Me Love (PS) 12" Vinyl Single US $9.68 Buy It Now 34m 41s
(DK172) The Heavy, Can't Play Dead - 2012 DJ CD US $4.82 Buy It Now 34m 46s
ECSTACY: Living In Ecstasy/Can't Help Myself (disco NM vinyl 45) US $25.00 Buy It Now 35m 45s
BENT FABRIC: Can't You See/The Sweet Charity Theme (easy listening USA vinyl 45) US $12.00 Buy It Now 35m 45s
All You Can Eat by k.d. lang (CD, Oct-1995, Warner Bros.) US $1.99 Buy It Now 36m 8s
Lawrence - I believe I can fly Lp record album Dj album VG NM US $4.00 [0 bids]
36m 12s
NORTHERN SOUL 45 Joseph Moore - I Still Can't Get You / The Blenders LISTEN US $15.00 Buy It Now 36m 58s
John McCutcheon and Friends SIGNED How Can I Keep From Singing 1975 US $9.99 [0 bids]
37m 8s
CHUCK BERRY Brenda Lee/You never can tell 7" Rare CDN Press Rock n Roll CHESS  US $9.99 [0 bids]
37m 54s
Matt Schwartz Presents Sholan Can You Feel 12" Data 39T 2003 Vinyl US $7.99 Buy It Now 38m 4s
DEAD RIVER DEEPS - YOU CAN'T FIGHT THE SUN EP Melbourne country/rock band US $6.16 Buy It Now 38m 12s
Muzzaik Feat. Mia You Can Turn Me On 12" LIP002 2006 Vinyl US $6.99 Buy It Now 38m 16s
Blake, Matthew Back As Far As We Can Go CD US $5.94 Buy It Now 38m 40s
Ash Can Cats - If I Can't Dance + Dirt Road - 1981 Indie 7" 45 RPM Single! US $4.99 [0 bids]
38m 43s
We Can't Dance by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Nov-1991, Atlantic (Label)) US $1.75 [0 bids]
38m 44s
Rare LYNN ADERSON "How Can I Unlove You" 8 Track 1971 US $3.00 Buy It Now 39m 48s
Alexander O'Neal Fake/A broken heart can mend 7" vinyl picture sleeve US $3.50 Buy It Now 40m 38s
HIGH INERGY You Can't Turn Me Off In Middle Of Turning On 7" Gordy Let Me Get US $9.99 Buy It Now 41m 11s
FOREIGNER - CAN'T SLOW DOWN [FOREIGNER] [4029759056850] - NEW CD US $7.15 Buy It Now 41m 16s
(CT821) Butterfly Boucher, I can't Make Me - 2003 DJ CD US $4.82 Buy It Now 41m 29s
the delfonics la-la-means i love you & can't get over losing you 150 US $2.00 [0 bids]
41m 47s
Robert Dryburgh THE KEY TO HAPPINESS/AND WHERE IT LEADS LP CAN Living Voices M- US $14.99 [0 bids]
42m 38s
THE STYLISTICS - Can't Help Fallling In Love / Jenny 45 RPM 7" NM R US $4.90 Buy It Now 42m 46s
Roy C. I Wanna Do It Again / You Can't Judge A Man Mercury R&B Soul RARE 45 7" US $3.90 Buy It Now 42m 46s
Chris Rea - I Can Hear Your Heartbeat US $0.73 [0 bids]
43m 2s
(CT837) The Singles, He Can Go, You Can't Stay - DJ CD US $4.82 Buy It Now 43m 2s
Jimmy Martin C&W MOVER 45 (Gusto 9020) One Woman Man/I Can't Give... VG++/M- US $6.95 Buy It Now 43m 6s
HOWARD KENNEY save some for the children 12" b/w can't wait to make you mine (lv US $8.45 Buy It Now 43m 59s
GARY LEWIS & THE PLAYBOYS: Green Grass/I Can Read Between The Lines (oldies 45) US $5.00 Buy It Now 44m 52s
ROY ORBISON: Crawling Back/If You Can't Say Something Nice (oldies VG+ vinyl 45) US $8.00 Buy It Now 44m 52s
SARAH VAUGHAN: Misty/Broken Hearted Melody/How Important Can It Be (jazz 45) US $15.00 Buy It Now 44m 52s
MERCY: Love Can Make You Happy/Never My Love (oldies VG++ vinyl 45) US $7.00 Buy It Now 44m 52s
All That You Can't Leave Behind by U2 (CD, Oct-2000, Interscope (USA)) US $7.99 [0 bids]
45m 11s
Cynthia Carter Hill - Can You Hear the Voice? 2004 CD US $14.00 Buy It Now 45m 11s
Svend Christensen THE FULL TIME WORKER AND THE PRACTICAL WORK OF ELDERS LP CAN US $14.99 [0 bids]
45m 16s
45 RPM RECORD LITTLE RICHARD KEEP A KNOCKIN CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WANNA LEAVE LONDON US $9.99 [0 bids]
45m 20s
ICICLE WORKS little girl lost 12" 4 trk b/w tin can, hot profit gospel and one t US $8.45 Buy It Now 46m 24s
IGGY POP shades 12" 3 trk b/w cry for love and baby it can't fall (amy374) pic s US $8.45 Buy It Now 46m 28s
The COCKROACHES She's The One / Can In The Hand 1987 OZ 45 Wiggles US $8.76 Buy It Now 48m 17s
EX GIRLFRIEND "Why Can't You Come Home" 1991 12" vinyl remixes record NM US $2.99 [0 bids]
48m 58s
CAN DRINKS COASTER. Psychedelia, Tago Mago. US $4.82 Buy It Now 49m 8s
Heart How Can I Refuse 3:52 Promo Vinyl 12 US $4.75 Buy It Now 49m 20s
One Chance - U Can't + Instrumental - 2006 U.S. PROMO cd -RARE! US $4.95 Buy It Now 49m 24s
Herman's Hermits I'm Henry VIII I Am / Can't You Hear My Heartbeat Vinyl 45 RPM US $8.75 Buy It Now 49m 25s
GINETTE RENO: Can't Get Hurt Anymore quebec vinyl US $12.00 Buy It Now 49m 31s
MERCY: Love (Can Make You Happy)/Fire Ball (oldies vinyl 45 Columbia C4-2875) US $7.00 Buy It Now 49m 31s
SPARTANS, THE: Can You Waddle (oldies vinyl 45) US $12.00 Buy It Now 49m 31s
KALIN TWINS, THE: Zing! Went The Strings of My Heart/No Money Can Buy (oldies) US $12.00 Buy It Now 49m 31s
EVERLY BROTHERS, THE: That's Old Fashioned/How Can I Meet Her? (oldies vinyl 45) US $18.00 Buy It Now 49m 31s
SISTER NANCY Can't test Nancy 7" Rare Jamaica Roots Reggae Dub VOLCANO  US $9.99 [0 bids]
49m 35s
Charlie Rich 45 DJ VG+ There's Another Place I Can't Go/I Need Your Love Philips US $1.49 [0 bids]
49m 50s
? And Mysterians 45 RPM Can't Get Enough Of You, Baby/Smokes Cameo 467 US $4.99 [0 bids]
49m 50s
Animals 45 We Gotta Get Out Of This Place/I Can't Believe It MGM Sleeve 13382 US $6.99 [0 bids]
49m 50s
Bobby Scott 45 A Man Can't Have Everything WARNER PROMO US $15.00 Buy It Now 50m 25s
Johnny Mathis POP 45 (Columbia 42799) Every Step of the Way/No Man Can... VG+ US $5.95 Buy It Now 51m 20s
RARE OOP Big Noise CD Bang! Name and Number 1989 ULTRAVOX can't live without it US $5.00 [0 bids]
51m 36s
Reunion Records: Music You Can Believe In, vol 2 US $0.99 [0 bids]
51m 54s
All the Pain Money Can Buy by Fastball US $1.00 [0 bids]
52m 18s
You Can Make It - Shirley Caesar CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 54m 26s
VINTAGE 45 RECORD. BOBBY BLUE BLAND. HONEY CHILD/ AINT NOTHING YOU CAN DO. DUKE. US $4.99 [0 bids]
54m 54s
DAVID LEE MURPHY-We Can't All Be Angels-COUNTRY-CD'S US $9.99 Buy It Now 55m 30s
The COMMUNARDS Japan 1988Promo NM 7"45 NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE US $19.99 Buy It Now 56m 24s
Millie Jackson: Loving you / I can't stop loving you 7" 45rpm vinyl record 7b US $2.00 Buy It Now 57m 18s
BILL GAITHER LOVE CAN TURN THE WORLD South Africa BRAND NEW CD FREE U.S SHIPPING US $4.99 Buy It Now 57m 20s
Lionel Richie Lot of 2 CDs - Can't Slow Down / The Composer Great Love Songs EUC US $4.25 Buy It Now 58m 2s
LOOK, MINT, MEGA RARE, HOUSE, HARAHUKU, CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE TONIGHT, GERMAN EP US $5.99 Buy It Now 59m 35s
Janis Joplin "Pearl" Columbia 'Get it While you Can' US $5.29 [0 bids]
1h
5 STAR rsvp 12" 4 trk crunchie tour 86 pic disc b/w can't wait another minute,lo US $8.45 Buy It Now 1h
We Can't Dance by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Nov-1991, Atlantic (Label)) US $4.09 Buy It Now 1h
5 STAR can't wait another minute 12" 2 trk promo b/w dub mix but has name stamp US $8.45 Buy It Now 1h
DAVE CLARK FIVE, THE: Catch Us If You Can/Move On (rock vinyl 45 Capitol 72279) US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h
DAWN: Vaya Con Dios/I Can't Believe How Much I Love You (rock vinyl 45) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h
GRAHAM SHAW & THE SINCERE SERENADERS: Can I Come Near/Just To See You (rock 45) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h
BACHELORS, THE: Oh, Samuel Don't Die/No Arms Can Ever Hold You (rock vinyl 45) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD: Gimme Shelter/I Can Feel Him In The Morning (rock vinyl 45) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h
MICHAEL JACKSON: Don't Stop T'il You Get Enough/I Can't Help It (rock vinyl 45) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h
BUCKWHEAT: I Got To Boogie/I Just Can't Turn My Habit Into Love (rock vinyl 45) US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h
BELINDA CARLISLE: Heaven Is A Place On Earth/We Can Change (rock VG++ vinyl 45) US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Soon Over Babaluma ratings distribution

CAN Soon Over Babaluma reviews

Review by corbet
4 stars This was my first CAN album, and although I liked it superficially, I was in for a big surprise when I got "Tago Mago" next. That is to say, this is actually quite a weird album when you consider the rest of their classic-period releases, and shouldn't be lumped in with the rest without a few words of caution (and ultimately, praise). First off, singer Damo Suzuki is gone, and while this shouldn't have changed things too much considering CAN's instrumental nature, things have quite obviously changed! The opening track "Dizzy Dizzy" has an almost reggae-like vibe, and the second song has a weird Latin (or something, you tell me) thing going on. Later in CAN's career we get to see all sorts of quazi-"ethnic" explorations (for better or worse), and it all begins most clearly on this album. So, if you are like I was at one point and just want Tago Mago's in-your-face psychedelic romps over and over again... nope! However, as time went on and I began to sink more deeply into an appreciation of CAN's subtler side (Future Days: best album ever), I revisited Soon Over Babaluma to discover a world of minimalist perfection and icy, alien beauty. Side 2, in particular, is a masterpiece of otherworldy music. "Chain Reaction" and "Quantum Physics" form what is in essence one piece: the first song is the "explicit" half, carried by a steady kick-drum pulse with choppy electronics and blistering guitar solos covering every inch, which all then suddenly drop away to reveal "Quantum Physics," a chilled, shimmering atmosphere of ambient sounds and subtle rhythms, all never departing from the (now implied) core tempo. When the whole thing hits you under the proper circumstances, it's nothing short of musical revelation. The first two tracks are perfect in a lazy, quirky manner, and "Splash" is a delectable CAN jam with breezy keyboard washes and great guitar soloing. Essential music! There is a distinct mood which I have learned to recognize as the "Babaluma mood," and when that moment comes, nothing short of this album (or the few "Babalumas" recorded by other bands) will do.. if you know what I mean...

Send comments to corbet (BETA) | Report this review (#23279) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 02, 2004

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars As with its predecessor, Future Days, this one is more atmospheric, more spacey but also weak in the production department and plagued with sometimes-poor sound (at least on my copy). A characteristic of German Prog sound (or Krautrock) is that most of the records have this unfinished production, raw sound, and unrefined arrangements - in a few words one cannot say that Can, ADII or Ash Ra (and Others...) are keen on over-production. This is sitting fine with me but can be difficult for neo-progheads used to such clean sounding records that reach perfection in the production dept. All of the preceding albums were self-produced and distributed by their own label (I think) and therefore adding up to the musical aesthetics and ethics by these true rebels (Ammon Duul was polit-rock as most late sixties German group were also very leftist activist). This one should get another half-star but the sound dynamics are not a plus here. One can not help but thinking, when looking at the sheer amount of classic records they put out, how successful they might have been if they had used an English production for those.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#23278) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Review by loserboy
4 stars CAN were always on the cutting edge of avante-garde progressive rock blending heavy ethnic rock with industrial electronic atmospheres in bizarre like extended jam. "Soon Over Babaluma" continues CAN's quest into the land of the ultimate psychedelic space jam without Damo Suzuki's vocals. This album focuses much less on the vocal aspect in Suzuki's absence enabling the lads to innovate some wicked grooves and mind warping landscapes. I personally have always loved CAN's approach to music and find it terribly progressive. Tapestries of violin and guitar are superimposed over the frenzied drumming of Jaki Liebeaeit (who is simply an amazing percussionist), Droned bass accents by band leader Holger Czukay all surrounded by tasty keyboard atmospheric samples. Highlight for me is the combination of epic track "ChainReaction" and last number "Quantum Physics" which bring out arguably the best work of CAN ever. "Soon Over Babaluma" is a wonderful work of art and is regarded by many as the shining moment for CAN.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#23280) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 21, 2004

Review by soundsweird
4 stars My first Can album, purchased shortly after its release. My friends and I were also listening to Robert Wyatt's "Rock Bottom" and Gong's famous trilogy at the time. When you think about it, all three acts injected a welcome dose of humor into their work. I remember hearing "Future Days" and "Ege Bamyasi" a year or two later, but found them unappealing at the time. I think it's difficult to work backwards with some groups; in the case of Can, you're going from a spacy but polished sound back to a wilder, more primitive style, and it just doesn't work for me. I liked one of the pieces from "Tago Mago" (the one showing the biggest Stockhausen influence), but I could never appreciate Damo Suzuki or Malcolm Mooney at all. Anyway, this album began the string of my favorite Can albums. I love much of their solo material, as well.

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#23281) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars Anyone wanting a deeper understanding of what made CAN such a powerful band, and not only within the narrow circle of classic '70s Krautrock, should ponder the fate of Malcolm Mooney and Damo Suzuki. The two CAN vocalists (not merely "singers", please take note) each had to leave the group at the prompting of a higher authority: Mooney ending up all but chained to the psychiatrist's couch, and Suzuki disappearing within the apocalyptic embrace of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Now, I don't want to suggest that the music had any link with their later mental and / or emotional crises, but clearly this was a band circulating somewhere high above the usual rock 'n' roll circus of sex, drugs, and three-chord boogies.

The first album after Suzuki's abrupt departure found the band, in 1974, reduced to the core of its original quartet: Jaki Liebezeit, Holger Czukay, Michael Karoli, and Irmin Schmidt, playing, respectively (but like the members of GENTLE GIANT, not exclusively), drums, bass, guitar, and keyboards. On paper it looks like a normal enough line-up, but consider their separate backgrounds. Czukay and Schmidt were students of 20th Century avant-garde classical music; Karoli was an early fan of the Beatles; and Liebezeit was schooled in the near-noise of Free Jazz and other arcane ethnic rhythms (including, some whisper, forbidden voodoo drum rituals).

With a combined pedigree like that, it's no wonder CAN was such a musical force of nature. And all those influences were put into play here, in what could have been an unsettling period of transition, but turned out to be a career peak (that same year, they performed an epic, near 13-hour overnight concert in Berlin).

The album opens with the cool German-Jamaican vibe of "Dizzy Dizzy", the first of several flirtations with reggae, more examples of which would surface in the upcoming "Limited" / "Unlimited Edition" albums. "Come Sta, La Luna" sounds not unlike a tour of Fellini's Rome in La Dolce Vita, with Irmin Schmidt's voice (thankfully) masked behind a thick screen of electronic camouflage. And the instrumental "Splash" (a companion of sorts to the likeminded but mellower "Spray", off the previous "Future Days" album) is an absolutely ferocious improvisation in 7/8 time (I think), featuring the distorted sound of Karoli's treated violin, flying like shrapnel around a typically busy Jaki Liebezeit percussion volley.

But all the remaining musical barriers are well and truly broken on the final two tracks: "Chain Reaction" and "Quantum Physics", actually a single, uninterrupted 20- minute tour of inner and outer space. The titles are more literal than you might imagine, recalling an atom-age combo of Edward Teller, Robert Oppenheimer, Max Planck, and Werner Heisenberg (with Einstein calling the tune, of course).

It begins with a hypertense dance groove beamed down from some far-flung alien discotheque, which after ten minutes gradually dissipates into a long, proto-ambient euthanasia chill-out, maybe the best sonic illustration of infinity since Pythagoras first heard the Music of the Spheres. The subtly shifting auroras of Irmin Schmidt's keyboards, with Jaki Liebezeit's quietly percolating electronic percussion, would later spark an entire generation of sound sculptors and high-tech navel gazers (THE ORB, BIOSPHERE, you name 'em). But the original role model, one of several from Germany in the 1970's, is still spellbinding, even allowing for the restrictions of its relatively primitive two-track recording technology.

The album proved to be the last in a cycle of classic CAN recordings dating to before the turn of the decade. The next step would be a contract with Virgin Records, access to multi-track recording facilities, and even a Top-30 hit single two years down the road. All achieved at the expense of their original musical alchemy, say diehard fans. I don't entirely agree, but no one can argue that "Soon Over Babaluma" put the final edge of gilt on an already sterling reputation.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#43383) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars An album to appreciate, but not necessarily enjoy

Can's 1974 follow up to "Future days" was this intriguingly titled album consisting of just five tracks. This album was the last Can release to be recorded on two track equipment, on subsequent albums the band finally utilised the technical advances which had been made in the studio environment. With the departure of Damo Suzuki after the release of "Future days", the lead vocalist slot became rather unsettled, with Michael Karoli singing on two tracks here and Irmin Schmidt on one. Who is the vocalist is however largely academic as there is virtually no singing as such, the voices generally being used as a percussive instrument.

"Dizzy dizzy", which opens the album has an odd, reggae like beat backing floating violin and mumbled chanting. Such a description may sound confused and unattractive, but the results are reasonably captivating. "Come sta, La Luna" continues the odd rhythms, but this time with more of a rock orientation. Guitar is the lead instrument here, the repetitive vocals being a bit more orthodox but still not sung by any means.

"Splash", the third and final track on side one is a straightforward jazz fusion type improvisation featuring guitar then electric violin. The rather sparse rhythm section focuses on the frantic drumming of Jaki Liebezeit, Holger Czukay's bass being all but inaudible.

The 11― minute "Chain reaction" is the longest track on the album. The pulsating, disco like rhythms lay the foundations for a lengthy, rather unstructured improvisation based once again around violin and guitar. "Quantum physics" segues straight from "Chain reaction", effectively forming a side long piece. The mood however changes to a softer ambient atmosphere with little overt music as such, just waves of sound.

For an album released in 1974, "Soon over Babaluma" is an astonishingly forward looking and imaginative album. That however does not necessarily make it either good or enjoyable. Personally, while I admire the band's creativity, in musical terms the album leaves me cold.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#136321) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 05, 2007

3 stars CAN's first record without Damo Suzuki would turn out ok, but for me the magic is lost. Karoli and Schmidt would share the vocals, and they're both ok as they sing in a low key.

"Dizzy Dizzy" opens with percusion and violin as distant sounding vocals from Karoli come in. This song has that catchy groove CAN is known for. "Come Sta, La Luna" opens with percussion as Scmidt comes in vocally with keys. Spoken words follow. Some guitar after 1 1/2 minutes in. Violin a minute later. Themes are repeated. "Splash" is more uptempo as percussion and violin lead the way. The violin seems distorted at times,or maybe dissonant is the word. My favourite part of the whole album is the guitar playing on this song beginning 2 minutes in. They're just jamming during most of this song. Nice. My favourite track.

"Chain Reaction" builds to a good beat before the tempo slows before 4 minutes. Vocals come in courtesy of Karoli and guitar. The tempo picks back up as screeching guitar comes in. It slows down again after 8 minutes. Vocals return. "Quantum Physics" takes a while to really get going, although it may not be right to say it ever does get going. Haha. There is a steady beat 2 1/2 minutes in but it's brief. It's spacey 5 1/2 minutes in. Just not much happening for 8 1/2 minutes.

For me this is barely 3 stars. Especially when compared to their past albums, this is a bit of a disappointment.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#178988) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars If ever there was an album that fit Frank Zappa's album title "Trance Fusion", this would be it. Here we have five tracks of Can's high energy hypnotic jams. And for the most part, this album entertains.

It begins with "Dizzy Dizzy", a reggae jam with a whispered vocal percussion and nice violin riffing by Michael Karoli. Next is "Come Sta, La Luna", which to me sounds like what you would get if you allowed Can to reinterpret "The Girl From Ipanema". Then "Splash", one of the few times I can recall this band venturing into an unconventional time signature, 7/8. The album concludes with "Chain Reaction", another jam, that's pretty mesmerizing, until the somewhat lame vocals begin. This song then melds into "Quatum Physics", with percussionist Liebezeit and bassist Czukay just flying along.

I'd give this one 3.5 stars.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221871) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 19, 2009

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Soon Over Babaluma" is the 6th full-length studio album by German Krautrock/experimental rock act Can. The album was released through United Artists/Spoon/Mute in November 1974. Japanese lead vocalist Damo Suzuki jumped ship soon after the release of "Future Days (1973)" to marry his German girlfriend and become a Jehovah's Witness, so "Soon Over Babaluma" was a kind of new start for the band. Can opted to continue as a four-piece and not hire a new lead vocalist. The vocals on the album are handled by guitarist Michael Karoli and Keyboard player Irmin Schmidt.

"Soon Over Babaluma" features 5 tracks, distributed over a 43:22 minutes long playing time. The two opening tracks "Dizzy Dizzy" and "Come sta, La Luna" are the most accessible tracks on the album. Both feature vocals and Michael Karoli plays violin which is a new feature in Canīs soundscape. The rhythm section are still one of the greatest assets of Canīs music. Repetitive yet complex adventurous playing. The overall impression of the tracks are that they are organized jams that have evolved into structured songs, which is pretty much like itīs always been with Can. "Splash" touches jazz rock/fusion territory while the 11:12 minutes long "Chain Reaction" has time to go through different atmospheres and features many adventurous ideas. "Quantum Physics" closes "Soon Over Babaluma". Itīs an atmopheric and ambient track.

The sound production is of good quality but not as great as the sound productions on earlier releases by the band. Actually both sound production, songwriting, and musicianship have declined slightly since "Future Days (1973)". Not to a degree where "Soon Over Babaluma" isnīt worth listening to or anything like that, and itīs still a recommendable release, but ultimately itīs slightly less interesting than itīs predecessors. A 3.5 star (70%) rating is warranted.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#230458) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 08, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Soon Over Babaluma is certainly not one of the easier Can albums to get into. Damo Suzuki had left the band, taking with him the more directly expressive and emotional part of the Can. So even for a seasoned Krautoneer, it takes a while to get into the more subdued and subtly layered music on this album.

The first 3 tracks are still fairly accessible. With their short running time, catchy vocals and mesmerizing beauty, Dizzy Dizzy and Come Sta are immediate winners. Splash shifts a level higher in terms of accessibilty. The music is looser, fully improvised and jazzy.

The remaining half of the album poses the real challenge. Chain Reaction left me completely untouched for years, not sounding like much more then a jumble of wild ideas with few flashes of inspiration. The first half of Quantum Physics didn't strike me as any better. Only the second half of that song had more immediate appeal to me due to the ambient avant-garde noise and subtle percussion. But after a year of exploring improvised and avant music I find both to be brilliant.

As usual the conclusion is to never give up on an album, certainly not on a good one, and especially so where it concerns music that you fail to 'get' or understand. The problem was me, not the music.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#247251) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars If you are interested in reggae meeting Kraut, then I guess that you will be delighted when your ears will be caught by Ŧ Dizzy Dizzy ŧ which opens this album. Let's say that it is not my feeling nor cup of tea (the mix I mean, since I appreciate reggae for quite a long time). Press next. Actually "Come Sta, La Luna" also features some Jamaican flavours, but it is more hypnotic and spacey. Still, it is no big deal.

The first good track from this album is "Splash" which shows a more kraut-classic oriented music. If ever it means something. Good psyche mood, good beat (drumming is as always excellent). Some Latino influence is more than welcome for sure.

Wild beat again for "Chain Reaction" which features some great guitar work but offers no more than that. The beat is repetitive, monotonous. I can't tell that vocals are impressive either. All in all, this is quite an average track.

The minimalist closing number is hard to describe. Improvisation (or testing maybe) is what we get there. This track is definitely not going to propel this album into my top 500 for sure. Two stars even if this album which was released in 74 was quite avant garde for the time.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#285047) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 05, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars In theory, after he had such a (relatively) limited role on Future Days, the departure of Suzuki shouldn't have had such an influence on the band's quality, yet here I am, giving this album a lower rating than its predecessor. I mentioned back in my Soundtracks review that (paraphrasing) the band sounded totally revitalized once it had injected Damo into its bloodstream, and unfortunately it seems that him leaving had the inverse effect on the group. There's a tentative feel to these tracks that's ever so bothersome to me, not in the least limited to the vocals (the vocals don't really bother me at all, actually), and it confirms to me that the band couldn't really go anywhere but down from here on out, even if they don't actually sound bad by any reasonable definition.

The first two tracks, to be fair, are quite nice. The opener, "Dizzy Dizzy," is kinda in the same "spacey" vein as the quieter stuff on the last vein, with a bunch of violin passages sliding around a low-key, almost bouncy rhythm. The vocals, done by Karoli in a manner completely unlike anything Damo would have ever done, are mostly built around him whispering/chanting, "Got to get it-it up, got to get it-it over" again and again, punctuated by an occasional chant of the title of the song. It really matches the atmosphere of the cover, I think; I can easily see myself flying along that landscape with this in the background.

The following track, "Come Sta, La Luna," features Schmidt on vocals (he's mildly grating when he sings the title, but it kinda works here), mostly with him muttering over yet another clever, hypnotic rhythmic pattern. There's an awful lot of un-altered piano here, especially for a Can album, and it gives a feeling of depth to the sound that, in conjunction with the usual dose of odd noises, really milks the "spacey" vibe these guys are going for quite well. So far, so good.

However, we then hit Splash, which is the first time in a while that Can sound, dare I say it, truly uninspired. What it reminds me of most, actually, is the beginning of the middle section of "Trilogy" by ELP, where Emerson spends a good couple of minutes wanking over a pattern almost identical to the one here. The violin, guitar and keyboard passages here are technically solid, yes, but for a band whose main calling card has been doing jams of a kind that nobody else in the world could properly imitate, mere technical prowess is simply not enough. It's not bad, but not particularly special. Similarly, the 11-minute "Chain Reaction" is rhythmic in a way that isn't anything new, and while all these dancey guitar lines work well with the drums in creating a proto-techno effect, and while there are some bits of vaguely melodic groove near the end, it just doesn't come together into something I can get excited about.

And then there's "Quantum Physics," which isn't nasty but sounds like an outtake from the Future Days sessions. I do like how the drums kinda move up and down in the mix (mostly staying incredibly quiet, of course), and I like the overall feel and the way the synths sound, but I'm kinda disappointed that there aren't any moments of sheer beauty like in, say, "Bel Air." It's nice and futuristic-sounding and all that, but there's just not that extra something that has made me like the band's previous work as much as I have.

Still, it's a nice enough album, just not an especially essential one. If you really, really dig on Future Days and the "cosmic" sound and atmosphere of that one, you'll want this one, and somebody looking to get into post-Damo Can will probably be best off going with this one first. Don't get your expectations up too high, though.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#293472) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 05, 2010

Review by Warthur
5 stars Can's first album without a dedicated lead singer is a tour de force for the group. Without a vocalist on board, the band feel less need to create space for the vocals in their music and focus solely on their instrumental performances, singing only when they feel the music demands it. Michael Karoli's vocal contributions are the best of the group, his additions to Dizzy Dizzy in particular contributing to the sound of the composition much as Damo Suzuki's might have. The album's heart is the hypnotic and compelling duo of Chain Reaction and Quantum Physics, and overall this a masterful album which (as others have pointed out) would eventually exert a powerful influence over the post-rock scene.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#532011) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 25, 2011

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars Can is another prog icon that I have often neglected, save for this album which I have always adored for some obscure reason. They were always strange bedfellows, a band that, much like the German National soccer team, play together as a unit or Mannschaft. No star solo heroes here. Whereas we are used to separation between instruments to the point of immediate identification of style, Can blends all into a dense cocktail of sound where Karoli's guitar, Schmidt's keys, Czukay's bass are all blended effortlessly. Only Liebezeit keeps the beat obvious and the percussion torrential. Certainly the first series of albums are legendary but my trio remains Future Days, Soon Over Babaluma and Landed, who incidentally or not ,are natural discographic progressions. The cover artwork has been a constant source of attraction, the original vinyl yielding a silver/blue map of seismic peaks and greenish valleys. "Dizzy Dizzy" is remindful, in style and feel, of Roxy Music's masterstroke and harbinger of future electronica , 1971's The Bogus Man". How can music be minimalist and lush at the same time, you ask? Well, Eno just continued the style espoused by these Kraut rockers with his Another Green Worlds of oddball /ambient/psychedelia. Throw some vaporous violin, brisk reggae e-guitar, some obscure keyboards, oblique bass and shifting rhythmic pulsations, all together with some hushed vocalizations and you get dizzy!

"Come Sta La Luna" is creepy, choppy, dissonant, confusing and outright bizarre. Imagine a decadent electronic tango with dilettante wannabees, cheap red wine and pungent cigarettes both smeared by overflowing lipstick. Extreme sonic environment, to say the least. "Splash" is a percu-fest, Liebezeit going berserk on his kit, while Karoli ravages his violin/guitar arsenal. Nasty stuff! At times, the guitar navigates like Santana on acid, a weird and pervasive sense of lunacy invades the soul.

But the core of this sublime album is the next 2 epics, "Chain Reaction" and "Quantum Physics", both loyal to the Bogus Man feel mentioned earlier and hence highly explorative, delirious and meandering. Here are the overtly sprouting seeds of electronica, world music, funky psychedelia and so much more. I mean this is not very feminine music, no massive melodies that one can sing along and no poignant lyrics. "Chain Reaction" is shadowy, murky, greasy and rude. It is also erotic, sensual and kinky, musically speaking. Soundtrack for a dominatrix! Liebezeit in particular demonstrates a riffling technique that knows no respite, plowing mercilessly forward on some obsessive inspiration, sweat dripping down his chin, or is that drool? Not the easiest stuff to listen to, bored housewives hooked on AM radio would probably slice open their wrists at the mere thought of such cerebral sounds. "Quantum Physics" is just the natural evolution of their inspiration, impenetrable electronics, foggy rhythms, opaque bass and drums that must have duck tape on them, so cavernous is the thud. Hypnotically inclined, cleverly elliptical and expertly-mental, this is the essence of music in 1973, progressing from Chuck Berry and Bill Haley to some distant sonic heaven. Off the wall, meandering on the wood flooring, into the drain, down the pipe, across the yard and ultimately joining the river. This happens often when you are over Babaluma.

When friends ask me what is the strangest album I have, I invariably whip out this one, to go with Penguin Café Orchestra, Pavlov's Dog, Weidorje, Universal Totem Orchestra and Sparks. It causes quite a stir, so I have a straight jacket handy. You never know when someone gets dizzy dizzy.

4.5 tin tins

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#690825) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 26, 2012

5 stars During the height of "post rock" in the 90s, I went nuts over Can. So did a lot of people at that time, even though their best music was from the early/mid 70s. But by the mid/late 90s a lot of "alternative" was so commercial we were all burning out on it. Indie Rock was the place to be, e ... (read more)

Report this review (#273752) | Posted by akajazzman | Tuesday, March 23, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Imagine this scene. Imagine a modern sort of Rome, a great empire spread across continents. It rose up under one great leader, and was then followed by a new, even greater leader who brought this Rome to new heights. Then imagine this leader being unfit to lead, and having to leave. Rome has ... (read more)

Report this review (#115879) | Posted by Pnoom! | Wednesday, March 21, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Saw this CD in the bargain bin for $3.99, and since I drive alot for my job, decided to pick it up and was pleasantly surprised by this album. I have seen Can on this site, but this was my 1st CD, and although it was somewhat slow moving, it was nice and spacey to listen to on my 4 hour drive ... (read more)

Report this review (#104113) | Posted by | Thursday, December 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I find myself looking at the work of Can in a somewhat objective light, rather than an emotional, subjective one...to me, Can can (sic) sometimes put experimentation above listener involvement - and in doing so they could be far more self indulgent than many of the contemporary so-called prog ... (read more)

Report this review (#74609) | Posted by Phil | Tuesday, April 11, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The most uneven Can's album. Some realy beautyfull works (Come Sta, La Luna (my favourite song from LP, this strange vocal interpretation of Shmidt, and connetion of flamenco and psychodelic rythms gave grat efect), Splash (but it is to long a bit), Chain Reaction (one minus of this is that colou ... (read more)

Report this review (#23283) | Posted by | Monday, April 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Soon Over Babaluma"