UNLIMITED EDITION

2. Doko E (2:26)
3. LH 702 (2:11)
4. I'm Too Leise (5:10)
5. Musette (2:08)
6. Blue Bag (Inside Paper) (1:16)
7. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 27 (1:47)
8. TV Spot (3:02)
9. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 7 (1:05)
10. Empress And The Ukraine King (4:40)
11. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 10 (2:01)
12. Mother Upduff (4:28)
13. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 36 (1:55)
14. Cutaway (18:49)
15. Connection (2:20)
16. Fall Of Another Year (3:20)
17. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 8 (1:37)
18. Transcendental Express (4:37)
19. Ibis (5:00)

- Jaki Leibezeit / percussion, drums, Wind
- Malcolm Mooney / vocals
- Damo Suzuki / vocals

Lps-Spoon record-SPOON 023/24

and to Jimbo for the last updates

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Unlimited Edition Music

SoundtracksSoundtracks
Vinyl$17.50
EMI demo 7", B.T. Express, Can't Stop Groovin Now......,1976 US $4.04 [0 bids]
30m 20s
TOUGH TWO - WHY CAN'T WE 12" RECORD / VINYL - LOADED RHYTHMS - LR001 US $4.04 Buy It Now 31m 26s
Hothouse Flowers - You Can Love Me Now CDS (London, 1998) CD1 w/ video track! US $8.10 Buy It Now 32m 1s
MICHAEL FENNELLY - LOVE CAN CHANGE EVERYTHING DEMOS 1967-1972 NEW CD US $23.37 Buy It Now 33m 14s
Billy Swan- I Can Help 7" US $9.73 Buy It Now 34m 18s
Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? by The Cranberries (CD,... US $1.99 [0 bids]
35m 53s
YOU CAN'T RUN AWAY FROM YOURSELF/SAVE ME BABY - THE DOVELLS US $8.99 [0 bids]
36m
Cleftones - Can't We Be Sweethearts - VG++ 1956 US $13.99 Buy It Now 36m 44s
LOIZEAU,EMILY-REVISITED-PIANO CELLO SESSIONS (CAN) CD NEW US $27.51 Buy It Now 37m 25s
BABY AKA #1 STUNNA-BABY YOU CAN DO IT (X3) / NEVER HAD N... 12` Single NEW US $8.76 Buy It Now 37m 33s
BEDOUIN SOUNDCLASH-LIGHT THE HORIZON (CAN) CD NEW US $29.86 Buy It Now 37m 36s
SMOOTH JAZZ ICON / VARIOUS ...-SMOOTH JAZZ ICON / VARIOUS (CAN) CD NEW US $16.92 Buy It Now 37m 36s
FARMER,MYLENE-AVANT QUE L`OMBRE A BERCY (CAN) CD NEW US $32.16 Buy It Now 37m 38s
McDERMOTT, JOHN-ON A WHIM: SONGS OF RON SEXSMITH (CAN) CD NEW US $23.37 Buy It Now 37m 42s
HANGAR-IVRE MER CD (CAN) CD NEW US $29.86 Buy It Now 37m 43s
KEITA SALIF-20TH CENTURY MASTERS (CAN) CD NEW US $15.75 Buy It Now 37m 45s
I CAN MAKE A MESS LIKE NOBO...-I CAN MAKE A MESS LIKE NOBODYS BUINES... CD NEW US $23.98 Buy It Now 37m 46s
FACE TO FACE-REACTIONARY (CAN) CD NEW US $14.79 Buy It Now 37m 46s
Kneebody-You Can Have Your Moment CD NEW US $18.36 Buy It Now 37m 50s
DEF3-WILDLIF3 (CAN) CD NEW US $28.68 Buy It Now 37m 52s
BIG BAND ICON / VARIOUS (CAN)-BIG BAND ICON / VARIOUS (CAN) CD NEW US $16.92 Buy It Now 37m 56s
RAT RACE / O.S.T. (CAN)-RAT RACE / O.S.T. (CAN) CD NEW US $13.59 Buy It Now 38m 4s
MEAT LOAF-VH-1 STORYTELLERS (CAN) CD NEW US $15.99 Buy It Now 38m 12s
Dead Can Dance st 1984 UK Orig LP Vinyl New wave Goth rock US $39.99 Buy It Now 38m 14s
Joey Dee and The Starlighters - How Can I Forget US $6.50 [0 bids]
38m 22s
Bill Anderson 45 I Can't Wait Any Longer / Joanna US $2.00 Buy It Now 38m 28s
Sugar If I Can't Change Your Mind 12" single US $8.12 Buy It Now 38m 55s
Los Lobos - Tin Can Trust (NEW 2 x 12" VINYL LP) US $34.09 Buy It Now 39m 17s
Catch Me If You Can by Rob Shaw (CD, Jun-2011, Ghostlight) US $3.99 [0 bids]
40m 40s
Conway Twitty 45 RPM 1972 I can't stop loving you ( VG ++ ) Decca 32988 US $4.00 Buy It Now 40m 50s
Midnight Magic - What The Eyes Can't See - CD promo 5 tracks US $8.10 Buy It Now 40m 55s
I Can Only Imagine: Ultimate Power Anthems of Christian Faith - Grant/Patty (CD) US $4.88 Buy It Now 44m 28s
Tommy Zang - I Can't Stop Loving You / Truly, Truly (VG) #1252 US $7.00 Buy It Now 44m 45s
Sheb Wooley - The Purple People Eater / I Can't Believe You're Mine (VG) #1247 US $7.00 Buy It Now 44m 45s
Peters And Lee - Welcome Home / Can't Keep My Mind On The Game (VG) 1973 #1250 US $7.00 Buy It Now 44m 45s
Joe Cocker - Luxury You Can Afford - LP - G US $2.99 [0 bids]
45m 44s
KIM WILDE-IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU 3 mixes/NEVER FELT SO ALIVE NM/VG+ UK 12 US $9.98 Buy It Now 46m 12s
Darts- Daddy Cool / The Girl Can't Help It 7" US $6.50 Buy It Now 46m 27s
Linx- Can't Help Myself 7" US $6.50 Buy It Now 46m 28s
The Beatles - We Can Work It Out / Day Tripper - 1965 Parlophone R5389 Vinyl US $16.24 Buy It Now 49m 13s
ALBERT COLLINS Love Can Be Found Anywhere Blues Mod FUNK Breaks UK LP HEAR US $35.72 Buy It Now 49m 19s
LISTEN -GIRL GROUP POPCORN - RHODES SISTERS - HOW MUCH CAN A LONELY HEART STAND US $49.99 [0 bids]
51m 24s
W-inds Can't Get Back CD+DVD US $9.99 [0 bids]
51m 45s
Brownstone I Can't Tell You Why/ If You Love Me, 45 rpm Excellent EX honky-tonk US $2.99 [0 bids]
53m 21s
Mis Teeq Can't Get It Back CD US $4.86 Buy It Now 54m 17s
Christina Aguilers Can't Hold Us Down CD US $8.53 Buy It Now 55m 6s
Janet Wright I Can't Take It 12" Single 1984 Promo Cotillion Vinyl Record US $2.84 Buy It Now 56m 8s
Iron Maiden - Can I Play With Madness 7" UK 1988 VG+/VG+ US $11.37 Buy It Now 56m 11s
Saxon - I Can't Wait Anymore 7" UK 1988 EX+/EX+ Limited edition pouch pack US $12.99 Buy It Now 56m 11s
Northern 60's Soul-Coins-Love Power/You Can't Get Away From It-UK Toast records US $17.05 Buy It Now 56m 40s
CD CHERRY TESS " YOU CAN'T PLAN A THING " US $17.50 Buy It Now 57m 56s
TWILIGHT SAD, The - No One Can Ever Know - CD US $18.26 Buy It Now 59m 40s
How Can I Keep from Singing Vol 02 - How Can I Keep From Singing? New US $22.91 Buy It Now 1h
KYLIE MINOGUE - Can't Get You Out Of My Head (UK 4 Tk Enh CD Single Pt 1) US $4.86 Buy It Now 1h 2m
On A Clear Day You Can See Forever -1970 -Soundtrack CD US $43.57 Buy It Now 1h 4m
WALK THE DOG/PAL JOEY - I Can't - 12" US $17.20 Buy It Now 1h 4m
RCA cd Elvis Presley Can't Help Falling In Love The Hollywood Hits US $6.50 Buy It Now 1h 5m
zprimo cds The Carter Family Can The Circle Be Unbroken US $4.50 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Cliff Richard- I Can't Ask For Anymore Than You / Junior Cowboy 7" US $6.50 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Kitty Wells-I Can't Stop Loving You/It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels-45r US $2.49 Buy It Now 1h 5m
THE BEATLES PICTURE SLEEVE DAY TRIPPER /WE CAN WORK IT OUT US $10.00 [0 bids]
Boys Town Gang I Just Can't Help Believing 12" US $9.73 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Danny Wilson I Can't Wait 12" US $11.35 Buy It Now 1h 6m
SEALED 2000 MONIFAH I Can Tell 12" RAP HIP HOP SINGLE 6 VERSIONS 012 158 099-1 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
45 RPM RECORD/6) BILL ANDERSON/ I CAN'T WAIT ANYLONGER US $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Chess cd Muddy Waters Can't Get No Grinding US $14.50 Buy It Now 1h 9m
White Men Can't Jump [Vinyl Single] [Single] by Riff (Cassette, Feb-1992 R US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
CAN "Unlimited Edition" CD irmin schmidt holger czukay US $12.99 [0 bids]
CAN "Live 1971 - 1977" 2 X CD faust kraftwerk US $35.73 [0 bids]
1970's Music Joe Walsh Your Can't Argue w/ a Sick Mind 8 Track Cassette Tape US $4.95 [0 bids]
Andy Williams(Vinyl LP)Can't Take My Eyes Off You-Pickwick-VG/VG+ US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Patience Valentine 45: You Can't Tell The Good Guys From The Bad US $20.00 [0 bids]
GENESIS late USA 7" 45 I CAN'T DANCE~ON THE SHORELINE on Atlanric US $6.30 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Genesis - We Can't Dance (CD 1991) Virgin 24HR POST !! US $5.54 Buy It Now 1h 18m
BETTER DAYS " YOU CAN DO IT (YOU KNOW) " 12" VINYL 1991 EX/EX VST 1357 US $8.92 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Elton John EP 12" single record Mama Can't Buy You Love +2 EMBOSSED PROMO US $6.49 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Modern Romance - ...Can't Kill The Beat - 7" Pic Disc US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
True Life Confessions - If I Can't Have You 7" Pic Disc US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
THE MAMA'S AND THE PAPA'S (LP) If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears (Dunhill) US $10.00 [0 bids]
JOHN FARRAR(SHADOWS) C.B.S. PROMO."CAN'T HOLD BACK" S CBS 9420,RELEASED 1980. US $11.35 [0 bids]
LIONEL RICHIE -CAN'T SLOW DOWN soul vinyl NM/VG+ LP US $8.98 Buy It Now 1h 25m
ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER Near Mint Streisand soundtrack LP COLUMBIA US $5.59 Buy It Now 1h 27m
BEE GEES LIFE IN A TIN CAN MINI LP CD OBI US $15.19 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Mental as Anything "If You Leave Me, Can I Come Too?" SEALED LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Hanson & And Davis - Can't Stop - Deluxe Edition (NEW 2 x CD) US $18.66 Buy It Now 1h 29m
THE STYLISTICS . CAN'T GIVE YOU ANYTHING ( BUT MY LOVE) / SING BABY SING . MINT US $9.73 [0 bids]
The Dread 3 LP lot (Sickening/Can't get Away/The Adversives) Rock US $8.25 Buy It Now 1h 30m
LIGHTHOUSE CAN YOU FEEL IT RARE 1973 POLYDOR GERMANY VINYL LP *LAMINATED SLEEVE US $24.28 Buy It Now 1h 30m
ELTON JOHN "MAMA CAN'T BUY ME LOVE" 45 PS US $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Canned Rock(Vinyl LP)Canned Rock--CAN 002-UK-VG/Ex- US $20.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Baby Go Boom(7" Vinyl P/S)Life Can Be A Hurtful Thing-Island-IS 248-UK-Ex/NM US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
AL HIRT Java + I Can't Get Started 45 US 1963 orig RCA 47-8280 US $9.98 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Matt Bianco(7" Vinyl)More Than I Can Bear-Wea-YZ34-UK-Ex/Ex US $8.10 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Jane Powell(Vinyl LP)Can't We Be Friends?-HMV-CLP 1131-UK-Fair/VG US $22.79 Buy It Now 1h 33m
FLOYD CRAMER San Antonio Rose + I Can 45 US 1961 orig RCA 47-7893 US $10.98 Buy It Now 1h 34m
The Four Tops(7" Vinyl)When She My Girl-Casablanca-CAN 1005-UK-Ex/Ex US $4.86 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Robert Palmer (7" Vinyl)Can We Still Be Friends-Island-WIP 6549-UK-Ex/Ex US $11.35 Buy It Now 1h 34m
78RPM Brunswick 8112 Teddy Wilson, I Can't Face The Music / Moments Like This V- US $13.95 Buy It Now 1h 36m
ORPHEUS - Can't Find The Time To Tell You / Brown Arms In Houston - 45RPM US $1.75 Buy It Now 1h 36m
The Rezillos Can't Stand the Rezillos: The (Almost) Complete Rezillos (CD,... US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Unlimited Edition ratings distribution

CAN Unlimited Edition reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Generally I don't appreciate Odds & Ends record but this one should not really considered as such because the music on here should've really been put out on their respective studio album but were probably left out for time restrictions. This compilation is a must for Can fans but should not be used as an introduction for newcomers. The limited edition theoretically is entirely included in this one.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#23292) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 08, 2004

Review by Syzygy
4 stars All of Can's albums were recorded in their own studio, Inner Space, initially located in an old castle and subsequently in a disused cinema. When they weren't touring, they worked in the studio every day, with bassist Holger Czukay acting as producer and engineer. Their first few albums were recorded on 2-track equipment, and it was not until they were well established that multi track recording became available to them. Unlimited Edition is drawn from something like 7 years worth of work, some of it material left off mainstream releases, some of it work in progress, some of it apparently recorded for the band's own amusement and all of it fascinating.

Both of Can's lead vocalists, the American Malcolm Mooney and the Japanese Damo Suzuki, are represented on this album, and there is also plenty of instrumental work. Tracks 1 - 13 were originally released as Limited Edition a couple of years prior to this, and were combined with the remaining pieces to make an excellent value double album in 1976. Despite the hopping around betwen different line ups and different styles of music, the whole thing flows along almost seamlesly, largely because of the metronimically precise drumming of Jaki Liebezeit - no matter how far out Can went, their remarkable drummer always anchored them to the earth. The album also displays an eccentric sense of humour.The EFS (Ethnological Forgery Series) were Can's attempts at imitating various brands of world music at least a decade before the idea of world music even existed in the mainstream music industry. Not all of them work, but the sense of adventure and exploration is palpable Malcolm Mooney's darkly humorous lyrics and vocals on Mother Upduff and The Empress And The Ukraine King are also a fascinating glimpse behind the scenes. Cutaway is an 18 minute sound collage from 1968 that sees the band (particularly Czukay) fusing psychedelia with dub reggae, with some odd snippets of studio dialogue thrown in for good measure. The early years are more strongly represented, but the opening and closing tracks are good examples of the kind of icily beautiful music Can made after 1973.

This is not a great album for the Can newbie, but for anybody interested in Can or in German progressive music generally it's highly recommended.

Send comments to Syzygy (BETA) | Report this review (#23294) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 01, 2005

Review by Seyo
3 stars This expanded version of "Limited Edition" is pretty interesting collection of odds and ends between 1969-75. Of particular interest are early 1969 tracks recorded with Malcolm Mooney as vocalist - presumably leftovers from the "Monster Movie" sessions. "The Empress and the Ukraine King", "Mother Upduff", "Connection" and "Fall of Another Year" are excellent songs, most of them even quite accessible on the first listen. One can imagine how the debut would have sounded had these been included instead of, say, long and sometimes boring jam "Yoo Doo Right" - it might have been a better album, but let's not speculate too much! Of the later stuff noteworthy compositions are: somewhat spacey and ambient textures of Future Days- era "Gomorrha", ethnic-oriental flavour of "Transcendental Express" and "Ibis", a close cousin of "Dizzy Dizzy". The remaining stuff is more or less an issue for CAN completists but the overall estimation of "Unlimited Edition", given its high points described above, must be quite good. You will live a happy life if you never touch this album, but getting to know it a bit may add some nice spice to your ears.

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59759) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 08, 2005

3 stars CAN were known for recording tons and tons of material in their own studios over the years. Often they would simply jam, improvise and experiment, but no matter what they were doing they usually recorded it all. This particular album is a collection of songs that didn't appear on any of their studio records. For me it's very hit and miss but for the CAN fanboy i'm sure this is essential.

"Gomorrah" is a standout track and I can see why it's the lead off track. Lots of atmosphere and this instrumental is experimental sounding. "Dokoe" is mainly a beat with Damo on vocals. Other highlights are "I'm Too Leise" with the percussion and flute-like sounds before bass, acoustic guitar and Damo's vocals join in. Organ later on.

"The Empress And The Ukraine King" is catchy with Malcom on vocals, sax 2 1/2 minutes in. "Mother Upduff" is cool with Malcom trelling a story as the music seems to get more tense as it plays out. "Cutaway" is by far the longest song at 17 minutes. "Connection" is better with Malcom singing. I like the guitar after a minute. "Fall Of Another Year" is classic Damo and the music to match. One of my favourites.

A good album but definitely for the die hard fan.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#255345) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars This intriguing collection of Can-dementia was actually my introduction to the band. Right back in the days when I only listened to symphonic prog (yes I once was innocent too). Needless to say I hated the guts out of this thing and stayed clear of all things Can for almost 10 more years. But for the initiated, this is quite an interesting collection of leftovers, brimming with ideas, sketches, creativity and, well, sheer madness.

This album presents Can's music in an embryonic state, with few of the pieces entirely developed, but that's exactly what makes it an interesting release and must-have for Can-ophiles, as they add interesting new sonic explorations, alternate takes and other useful additions to the known body of Can works. The 'Ethnological Forgery Series' being the obvious examples, showing experiments with world music reminding me slightly of Embryo. The opener 'Gomorrha' is one of the few fully formed Can tracks, a little cosmic masterpiece unique to their discography. Much of the songs with vocals are from the Malcolm Mooney years, which is a plus as far as I'm concerned. The 17 minute 'Cutaway' is a bit of a disappointment though.

I don't fancy all tracks here equally, but the mix of experimental successes as well as the failures is a big part of the charm of this release. Besides, since I digitalized my entire catalog this year, a playlist with 50 very strong minutes can be easily compiled from what's on offer here. You could say this is for fans only, but well, that's what many people think of the entire Can discography anyway. So 4 it is!

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#505686) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 19, 2011

Review by Warthur
3 stars An intriguing odds-and-sods collection from CAN, who arrange various snippets collected from the cutting room floor into a new album. Opening with the atmospheric Gomorrah, the album takes the listener through a bewildering variety of styles, ambushed at points by vocals from the departed Malcolm Mooney and Damo Suzuki. It's a fun enough experiment, though to be honest I find the world music-leaning side of krautrock (as represented by the likes of Embryo) to be the least interesting part of the genre, so I didn't get much out of the Ethnological Forgery series of tracks - and to be honest, you'd have to have very broad tastes indeed to enjoy this one from beginning to end.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#544340) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 06, 2011

5 stars LIMITED EDITION is my favorite CAN album by far. Many of most creative ideas from CAN's other work are expressed here without the baggage of trying to fit them into standard rock song format. If you enjoy CAN for their explorations into the avant-garde, then this is the album to seek out. Put ano ... (read more)

Report this review (#243274) | Posted by pkazee | Tuesday, October 06, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars In a sense, every album that CAN made was an "odds and ends" record. It's just that this one took a lot longer to put together than most of them. For me, CUTAWAY is CAN's masterpiece. As fine an example of sonic sculpture as will ever be heard, and to follow it with the utterly brilliant CONNE ... (read more)

Report this review (#35305) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The sound of an era, the end of an era...German rock was a great invention, but Can was the first group ever to transcend its genre. This album seems a little experimental, but is a great collection of big, tribal touch. Like it or not, Can were miles ahead of other groups, like XTC + Stockhau ... (read more)

Report this review (#23293) | Posted by | Sunday, January 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Unlimited Edition "