UNLIMITED EDITION

2. Doko E (2:26)
3. LH 702 (2:11)
4. I'm Too Leise (5:10)
5. Musette (2:08)
6. Blue Bag (Inside Paper) (1:16)
7. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 27 (1:47)
8. TV Spot (3:02)
9. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 7 (1:05)
10. Empress And The Ukraine King (4:40)
11. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 10 (2:01)
12. Mother Upduff (4:28)
13. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 36 (1:55)
14. Cutaway (18:49)
15. Connection (2:20)
16. Fall Of Another Year (3:20)
17. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 8 (1:37)
18. Transcendental Express (4:37)
19. Ibis (5:00)

- Jaki Leibezeit / percussion, drums, Wind
- Malcolm Mooney / vocals
- Damo Suzuki / vocals

Lps-Spoon record-SPOON 023/24

and to Jimbo for the last updates

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Unlimited Edition Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute U.S. 2008
Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Mute U.S. 2008
Lost TapesLost Tapes
Mute 2012
Genesis We Can't Dance Cassette Tape 1991 Mike Rutherford Progressive Pop Rock US $4.99 Buy It Now 31m 10s
Cal Smith You Can't Housebreak A Tom Cat VG++/At The Sight VG++ 1969 Country 45 US $3.99 Buy It Now 31m 32s
The Beach Boys ~ 7" PS EP ~ original New Zealand ~ I CAN HEAR MUSIC US $42.49 [0 bids]
31m 37s
BING CROSBY Symphony/I Can't Begin To Tell You 78 BRUNSWICK 02624 US $21.53 Buy It Now 32m 10s
MUNGO JERRY-CAN'T GET OVER-DIFF. YUGOSLAV PS 45rpm 1975 US $16.00 Buy It Now 32m 12s
Pop Promo 45 ANNE MURRAY You Can't Have a Hand on me on US $5.00 Buy It Now 33m 24s
Rock Promo 45 SOCIETY OF SEVEN I Can't Seem to Explain US $5.00 Buy It Now 33m 25s
Pop Promo 45 THE MASTERS CHILDREN Can You Hear Me Lord 1 US $5.00 Buy It Now 33m 25s
Soul Promo 45 BUCKWHEAT I Just Can't Turn My Habit into US $5.00 Buy It Now 33m 25s
KETTY LESTER: You Can't Lie To A Liar / River Of Salt 45 Soul US $15.00 Buy It Now 34m 14s
Can't Be Tamed by Miley Cyrus (CD, Jun-2010, Hollywood) US $6.89 Buy It Now 34m 33s
Oliver 45 RPM Jubilee Label Good Morning Starshine and Can't you see US $7.99 [0 bids]
35m 8s
MARILLION UK 1991 7" Single NO ONE CAN MARIL14 DiscNEW US $5.78 Buy It Now 35m 52s
MARILLION UK 1992 7" Single NO ONE CAN MARIL17 DiscNEW US $6.61 Buy It Now 36m 10s
B.B. King, How Blue Can You Get (CD, Musicom, RRemark, 2000) US $0.99 [0 bids]
36m 11s
CHARLIE RICH - A VERY SPECIAL LOVE SONG c/w I CAN'T EVEN DRINK IT AWAY - VG+ 45 US $3.95 [0 bids]
37m 9s
101 STRINGS * WHO CAN FORGET? GLENN AND TOMMY * US $2.99 [0 bids]
39m 12s
LESLIE HUTCHINSON They Can't Take That Away From Me 78 PARLOPHONE F838 US $21.53 Buy It Now 39m 33s
Dean Martin "I Can't Give You Anything but Love" record US $2.99 [0 bids]
40m 28s
**Where Can I Go To Get Soul** THE SWINGIN' MEDALLIONS Smash Records WLP SOUL US $7.99 Buy It Now 40m 33s
B.J. Thomas 45 RPM Record-I Just Can't Help Believing US $1.00 [0 bids]
40m 50s
RICK NELSON~YOU CAN'T DANCE~UK PROMO 7" EPIC EPC 5821 US $9.11 Buy It Now 41m 12s
Soul Promo 45 MYSTIC MERLIN Can't Stop Dancin' (No Matt US $5.00 Buy It Now 41m 38s
Pop Promo 45 BILL NASH Mama I Can't Come Home on GRC (P US $5.00 Buy It Now 41m 40s
Pop Promo 45 THE MASTERS CHILDREN Can You Hear Me Lord 9 US $5.00 Buy It Now 41m 40s
KEN GRIFFIN The Cuckoo Waltz / You Can't Be True Dear 78 BRUNSWICK 03968 US $21.53 Buy It Now 42m 13s
Jimmy Smith Any Number Can Win V6-8552 US $19.95 Buy It Now 43m 6s
KATE SMITH -DON'T SAY GOODBYE /ANYONE CAN MOVE A MOUNTAIN US $0.99 [0 bids]
43m 55s
78rpm DICKIE VALENTINE song of the trees / dreams can tell a lie US $24.86 Buy It Now 44m 1s
HORACE MARTIN -CAN'T GET USED TO LOSING YOU/DUB reg 12" US $14.98 Buy It Now 46m 14s
BUDDY ACE: Baby Please Don't Go / Who Can Tell (rare soul vinyl 45) US $40.00 Buy It Now 46m 33s
SOUL - LIONEL RICHIE - CAN'T SLOW DOWN - MOTOWN RECORDS VG+ - GATEFOLD COVER US $5.49 [0 bids]
46m 50s
JOE WALSH - YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH A SICK MIND - REEL TO REEL TAPE US $125.00 Buy It Now 47m 27s
OTIS CLAY - I Can't take It SEALED 1977 LP US $34.99 Buy It Now 47m 29s
JOE WALSH (live) - You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind 1976 LP US $11.99 Buy It Now 47m 29s
PETE SEGER - I Can See A New Day 1964 MONO LP US $14.99 Buy It Now 47m 29s
Lionel Richie : Can't Slow Down [Japan 1986] CD R32M-1003 RARE US $33.12 Buy It Now 47m 55s
Ken Griffin / You Can't Be True Dear / 1948 / Rondo 45228 / Maroon Label / Vinyl US $0.99 Buy It Now 48m 25s
78rpm SID PHILLIPS hors d`oeuvres / oh dear what can the matter be US $24.86 Buy It Now 48m 31s
SENSATIONAL NIGHTINGALES - LIVE SO GOD CAN USE YOU NEW CD US $23.77 Buy It Now 50m 36s
RUBY TERRY - GOD CAN DO IT NEW CD US $23.77 Buy It Now 50m 42s
DEAUVILLE DANCE ORCHESTRA Can't help lovin' dat man 78 DOMINION A12 US $21.53 Buy It Now 51m 17s
k.d. lang - All You Can Eat (1995) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $9.23 Buy It Now 51m 36s
THE FIREFLIES - I CAN'T SAY GOODBYE / WHAT DID I DO WRONG - 1959 VG+ on RIBBON US $5.99 Buy It Now 52m 1s
VINYL 7" SINGLE - ONLY YOU CAN - FOX - GT8 US $11.58 Buy It Now 53m
GEORGE JONES TROUBLE IN MIND Sometimes You Just Can't Win Lonesome Old Town LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 53m 37s
KELLY ROWLAND PROMO CD CAN'T NOBODY - RADIO EDIT & VIDEO EX US $3.28 Buy It Now 54m 1s
BEE GEES - IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU / STAYIN' ALIVE (RS885) great record! US $1.99 [0 bids]
54m 27s
Roy Hamilton 'You Can Have Her/Abide With Me' 9434 Epic 45 RPM 1961 NM US $19.99 Buy It Now 54m 31s
THE 8TH DAY - I CAN'T FOOL MYSELF / SHE'S NOT JUST ANOTHER WOMAN (9087) US $1.99 [0 bids]
54m 38s
Van Halen 45 rpm Record-Why Can't This Be Love US $1.00 [0 bids]
54m 39s
PHIL COLLINS - You can t hurry love 7" single - Excellent condition US $4.62 Buy It Now 54m 47s
Can You Rock? Sing & Play the Songs of G Can You Rock? Sing & Play the Songs of US $4.34 Buy It Now 55m 17s
GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS - NEITHER ONE OF US / CAN'T GIVE IT UP NO MORE (35098) US $1.99 [0 bids]
55m 21s
SCOTT SISTERS - Sister Mary / With God We Can Make It 7" Gospel Soul 45 mp3 US $4.99 [0 bids]
55m 34s
CAPTAIN & TENNILLE - CAN'T STOP DANCIN' / MIS CANCIONES (1912S) US $1.99 [0 bids]
55m 47s
DAVID CASSIDY - HOW CAN I BE SURE / RICKY'S TUNE (45220) US $1.99 [0 bids]
56m 16s
STEVIE WONDER - WE CAN WORK IT OUT / NEVER DREAMER YOU'D LEAVE IN SUM.. (54202) US $1.99 [0 bids]
56m 16s
MARVIN GAYE & TAMMI TERRELL - TWO CAN HAVE A PARTY / YOU'RE ALL I NEED TO GET BY US $1.99 [0 bids]
56m 21s
HEAR IT TEEN ROCKER Rusty Curry Holiday Inn 106 DJ Our Love Can Wait US $40.00 Buy It Now 56m 24s
1978 REO SPEEDWAGON TUNE A PIANO BUT CAN'T TUNA FISH ALBUM LP FACTORY SEALED US $14.99 [0 bids]
57m 22s
Young Rascals 45 RPM Record-How Can I Be Sure US $1.00 [1 bids]
59m
DON HENLEY I CAN'T STAND STILL CASSETTE DIRTY LAUNDRY 1982 US $3.99 [0 bids]
59m 4s
Rare Garage/Mugwump Establishment/"I Can't Keep From Cryin'/WLP/VG+/*LISTEN* US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h
PAUL YOUNG UK 1990 Cassette Single HEAVEN CAN WAIT NEW US $5.78 Buy It Now 1h
Oh Yes We Can Love: A History Of Glam Rock [CD New] US $61.52 Buy It Now 1h
JOHNNY MATHIS - COME BACK TO ME / ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER (72493) US $1.99 [0 bids]
1h
I Can Hear You by Carolyn Arends (CD) US $7.98 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Gloria Gaynor - Never Can Say Goodbye (NEW CD) US $16.97 Buy It Now 1h 2m
LENNY KRAVITZ UK 1996 PROMO CD Single Can't Get You Off My Mind NearMINT US $5.78 Buy It Now 1h 2m
The Escape Club Wild Wild West/We can run 7" vinyl picture sleeve Atlantic US $3.50 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Because I Can by Katy Rose (CD, Feb-2006, V2 (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
All That You Can't Leave Behind by U2 (CD, Oct-2000, Interscope (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
JOHNNY MANN SINGERS ~ WE CAN FLY! UP-UP AND AWAY ~ 1967 UK 11-TRACK MONO LP US $9.94 Buy It Now 1h 7m
TRAVIS TRITT "CAN I TRUST YOU WITH MY HEART" 45 RPM US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Babyface - When Can I See You (Single) US $3.99 [0 bids]
Can't Get Enough (1974) Barry White (CD, Mar-1996, Mercury) US $5.85 Buy It Now 1h 9m
ECHOBELLY EUROPEAN 1994 CD Single I Can't Imagine The World Without Me NEW US $4.56 Buy It Now 1h 9m
78rpm LEE LAWRENCE can`t i / tell me you`re mine US $33.14 Buy It Now 1h 10m
LUTHER VANDROSS UK 1996 CD Single I CAN MAKE IT BETTER 664063.2 MINT US $6.61 Buy It Now 1h 10m
WAXWING - NOBODY CAN TAKE WHAT EVERYBODY OWNS (COLOURED) NEW VINYL US $31.02 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Pal Rakes Til I Can't Take It Anymore / Blue Summer NEW 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
VIKKI CARR My Heart Reminds Me / Can I Trust You LIBERTY used 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
VIKKI CARR It Must Be Him / Can't Take My Eyes Off You LIBERTY used 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Billy Swan I'm Her Fool / I Can Help NEW 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
THE POINTER SISTERS Fairytale / Yes We Can Can MCA used 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
JOHNNY PAYCHECK Live With Me Til I Can Learn To Live Again/ Gone At Last NEW 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
GUNHILL ROAD back when my hair was short / we can't ride the roller coaster any US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
ELVIS PRESLEY Rare 45 W/PS RCA 47-7968 CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE 47-7968 Beauty US $13.95 Buy It Now 1h 14m
GIGLIOLA CINQUETTI.....LA JACONDE & COMMENT FAIT-ELLE...1976..(M-)...CAN HEAR US $0.99 [0 bids]
Talla 2XLC - Can You Feel the Silence RARE SINGLE VINYL!! Depeche Mode, Enjoy US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Mercy "Love (Can Make You Happy)" 1969 Sundi Records 45 US $9.99 [0 bids]
All the Pain Money Can Buy by Fastball (CD, Mar-1998, Hollywood) US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down US $2.99 [0 bids]
The Turtles 45 'CAN I GET TO KNOW YOU BETTER', VG+/EX US $1.95 [0 bids]
RARE R&B 45 / JIMMY REED / VEE-JAY 186 / ROCKIN' WITH REED / CAN'T STAND TO SEE US $20.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Bananarama - I Can't Help It / same 45 rpm 1987 NM Promo US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 20m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Unlimited Edition ratings distribution

CAN Unlimited Edition reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Generally I don't appreciate Odds & Ends record but this one should not really considered as such because the music on here should've really been put out on their respective studio album but were probably left out for time restrictions. This compilation is a must for Can fans but should not be used as an introduction for newcomers. The limited edition theoretically is entirely included in this one.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#23292) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 08, 2004

Review by Syzygy
4 stars All of Can's albums were recorded in their own studio, Inner Space, initially located in an old castle and subsequently in a disused cinema. When they weren't touring, they worked in the studio every day, with bassist Holger Czukay acting as producer and engineer. Their first few albums were recorded on 2-track equipment, and it was not until they were well established that multi track recording became available to them. Unlimited Edition is drawn from something like 7 years worth of work, some of it material left off mainstream releases, some of it work in progress, some of it apparently recorded for the band's own amusement and all of it fascinating.

Both of Can's lead vocalists, the American Malcolm Mooney and the Japanese Damo Suzuki, are represented on this album, and there is also plenty of instrumental work. Tracks 1 - 13 were originally released as Limited Edition a couple of years prior to this, and were combined with the remaining pieces to make an excellent value double album in 1976. Despite the hopping around betwen different line ups and different styles of music, the whole thing flows along almost seamlesly, largely because of the metronimically precise drumming of Jaki Liebezeit - no matter how far out Can went, their remarkable drummer always anchored them to the earth. The album also displays an eccentric sense of humour.The EFS (Ethnological Forgery Series) were Can's attempts at imitating various brands of world music at least a decade before the idea of world music even existed in the mainstream music industry. Not all of them work, but the sense of adventure and exploration is palpable Malcolm Mooney's darkly humorous lyrics and vocals on Mother Upduff and The Empress And The Ukraine King are also a fascinating glimpse behind the scenes. Cutaway is an 18 minute sound collage from 1968 that sees the band (particularly Czukay) fusing psychedelia with dub reggae, with some odd snippets of studio dialogue thrown in for good measure. The early years are more strongly represented, but the opening and closing tracks are good examples of the kind of icily beautiful music Can made after 1973.

This is not a great album for the Can newbie, but for anybody interested in Can or in German progressive music generally it's highly recommended.

Send comments to Syzygy (BETA) | Report this review (#23294) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 01, 2005

Review by Seyo
3 stars This expanded version of "Limited Edition" is pretty interesting collection of odds and ends between 1969-75. Of particular interest are early 1969 tracks recorded with Malcolm Mooney as vocalist - presumably leftovers from the "Monster Movie" sessions. "The Empress and the Ukraine King", "Mother Upduff", "Connection" and "Fall of Another Year" are excellent songs, most of them even quite accessible on the first listen. One can imagine how the debut would have sounded had these been included instead of, say, long and sometimes boring jam "Yoo Doo Right" - it might have been a better album, but let's not speculate too much! Of the later stuff noteworthy compositions are: somewhat spacey and ambient textures of Future Days- era "Gomorrha", ethnic-oriental flavour of "Transcendental Express" and "Ibis", a close cousin of "Dizzy Dizzy". The remaining stuff is more or less an issue for CAN completists but the overall estimation of "Unlimited Edition", given its high points described above, must be quite good. You will live a happy life if you never touch this album, but getting to know it a bit may add some nice spice to your ears.

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59759) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 08, 2005

3 stars CAN were known for recording tons and tons of material in their own studios over the years. Often they would simply jam, improvise and experiment, but no matter what they were doing they usually recorded it all. This particular album is a collection of songs that didn't appear on any of their studio records. For me it's very hit and miss but for the CAN fanboy i'm sure this is essential.

"Gomorrah" is a standout track and I can see why it's the lead off track. Lots of atmosphere and this instrumental is experimental sounding. "Dokoe" is mainly a beat with Damo on vocals. Other highlights are "I'm Too Leise" with the percussion and flute-like sounds before bass, acoustic guitar and Damo's vocals join in. Organ later on.

"The Empress And The Ukraine King" is catchy with Malcom on vocals, sax 2 1/2 minutes in. "Mother Upduff" is cool with Malcom trelling a story as the music seems to get more tense as it plays out. "Cutaway" is by far the longest song at 17 minutes. "Connection" is better with Malcom singing. I like the guitar after a minute. "Fall Of Another Year" is classic Damo and the music to match. One of my favourites.

A good album but definitely for the die hard fan.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#255345) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars This intriguing collection of Can-dementia was actually my introduction to the band. Right back in the days when I only listened to symphonic prog (yes I once was innocent too). Needless to say I hated the guts out of this thing and stayed clear of all things Can for almost 10 more years. But for the initiated, this is quite an interesting collection of leftovers, brimming with ideas, sketches, creativity and, well, sheer madness.

This album presents Can's music in an embryonic state, with few of the pieces entirely developed, but that's exactly what makes it an interesting release and must-have for Can-ophiles, as they add interesting new sonic explorations, alternate takes and other useful additions to the known body of Can works. The 'Ethnological Forgery Series' being the obvious examples, showing experiments with world music reminding me slightly of Embryo. The opener 'Gomorrha' is one of the few fully formed Can tracks, a little cosmic masterpiece unique to their discography. Much of the songs with vocals are from the Malcolm Mooney years, which is a plus as far as I'm concerned. The 17 minute 'Cutaway' is a bit of a disappointment though.

I don't fancy all tracks here equally, but the mix of experimental successes as well as the failures is a big part of the charm of this release. Besides, since I digitalized my entire catalog this year, a playlist with 50 very strong minutes can be easily compiled from what's on offer here. You could say this is for fans only, but well, that's what many people think of the entire Can discography anyway. So 4 it is!

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#505686) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 19, 2011

Review by Warthur
3 stars An intriguing odds-and-sods collection from CAN, who arrange various snippets collected from the cutting room floor into a new album. Opening with the atmospheric Gomorrah, the album takes the listener through a bewildering variety of styles, ambushed at points by vocals from the departed Malcolm Mooney and Damo Suzuki. It's a fun enough experiment, though to be honest I find the world music-leaning side of krautrock (as represented by the likes of Embryo) to be the least interesting part of the genre, so I didn't get much out of the Ethnological Forgery series of tracks - and to be honest, you'd have to have very broad tastes indeed to enjoy this one from beginning to end.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#544340) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 06, 2011

5 stars LIMITED EDITION is my favorite CAN album by far. Many of most creative ideas from CAN's other work are expressed here without the baggage of trying to fit them into standard rock song format. If you enjoy CAN for their explorations into the avant-garde, then this is the album to seek out. Put ano ... (read more)

Report this review (#243274) | Posted by pkazee | Tuesday, October 06, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars In a sense, every album that CAN made was an "odds and ends" record. It's just that this one took a lot longer to put together than most of them. For me, CUTAWAY is CAN's masterpiece. As fine an example of sonic sculpture as will ever be heard, and to follow it with the utterly brilliant CONNE ... (read more)

Report this review (#35305) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The sound of an era, the end of an era...German rock was a great invention, but Can was the first group ever to transcend its genre. This album seems a little experimental, but is a great collection of big, tribal touch. Like it or not, Can were miles ahead of other groups, like XTC + Stockhau ... (read more)

Report this review (#23293) | Posted by | Sunday, January 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Unlimited Edition "