FLOW MOTION

Buy CAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1976

1. I Want more (3:29)
2. Cascade Waltz (5:35)
3. Laugh until you Cry (6:43)
4. ...And More (2:43)
5. Babylonian Pearl (3:29)
6. Smoke EFS No. 59 (5:15)
7. Flow Motion (10:23)

Search CAN Flow Motion lyrics

Search CAN Flow Motion tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitars, slide guitar & electric violin (No 2), Baglama (No 3), background noise (No 6), lead vocal on 2 & 3, back vocal on 1,4,7
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards, Alpha 77, lead vocal on 5, back vocals on 1,4
- Holger Czukay / bass, Djin (No 6), back vocal on 1,4,6
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums, percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Flow Motion Music

Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Vinyl$17.43
LandedLanded
Vinyl$18.49
Saw DelightSaw Delight
Vinyl$18.49
Don Henley "I Can't Stand Still" LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 29m 59s
Teddy Pendergrass Phili Intl 45 Record 02462 VG+ I Can't Live Without Your Love US $5.00 Buy It Now 30m 25s
Loleatta Holloway *Cry To Me /So Can I* Deep Soul US 1974- Hear Record US $0.80 [0 bids]
30m 46s
Van Halen/"Get Up"/"Why Can't This Be Love"/'86 Promo/VG(strong), plays great! US $5.99 Buy It Now 31m 2s
Men At Work Business As Usual vinyl strong VG+ who can it be now down under US $3.99 Buy It Now 31m 20s
MADONNA-You Can Dance CD NEW US $12.11 Buy It Now 32m 4s
TWISTED SISTER-YOU CAN`T STOP R&R CD NEW US $13.89 Buy It Now 32m 10s
VICKERY,TRIO DON-ALONE TOGETHER (CAN) CD NEW US $23.39 Buy It Now 32m 14s
GENTLEMAN REG-LEISURE LIFE (CAN) CD NEW US $31.04 Buy It Now 32m 14s
ANDY WILLIAMS.CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU=CAN'T GET USED TO LOSING.7" VINYL.45RPM US $2.01 [1 bids]
32m 27s
Dead Can Dance - Aion SEALED Mini LP Japan SACD MFSL 4AD SAD-2710 Lisa Gerrard US $49.99 Buy It Now 32m 27s
WEB teen group rocker PROMO 45 THE SPARTANS - Can You Waddle US $3.00 [0 bids]
32m 46s
Vintage Nothing My God Can't Do Mike Cronk and Moses Tipton LPS202-02 US $4.99 Buy It Now 32m 53s
Dead Can Dance - Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun SEALED Mini-LP Japan SACD MFSL US $49.99 Buy It Now 33m
UTAH SAINTS 12" Something Good x3 / Anything Can Happen US $7.99 Buy It Now 33m 33s
Can self titled vinyl US $12.00 [0 bids]
34m 19s
MICHEL HERON 45 RPM "Bout D'Chou Cola | Les Enfants De La Patrie" PATHÉ CAN 1971 US $19.95 Buy It Now 34m 42s
JOE WAYMAN anything can happen LP VG+ MK67 516 Vinyl 1972 Record US $14.00 Buy It Now 34m 55s
RENE SIMARD 45 RPM "Fernando | La Chanson C'est Ma Vie" NOBEL CAN ABBA SONG 1976 US $9.95 Buy It Now 34m 59s
CONWAY TWITTY I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU DL7-5361 LP ALBUM US $9.99 Buy It Now 35m 18s
DON HENLEY I CAN'T STAND STILL JAPAN US $19.99 Buy It Now 36m 45s
Deniece Williams I Can't Wait 12" Single 1988 Columbia Vinyl Record US $2.84 Buy It Now 36m 56s
JUNIOR PARKER: I CAN'T PUT MY FINGER ON IT; 1967 MERCURY VG++ SOUL 45 RPM US $6.00 Buy It Now 37m 37s
BUCK'S FIZZ.....IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT...1982...NEW WAVE.....NICE.....CAN US $0.99 [1 bids]
37m 54s
DONNA SUMMER:BAD GIRLS:7":"RARE":NOT FOR SALE PROMOTION COPY: CAN155 PYE RECORD US $14.52 Buy It Now 38m 34s
SOUNDTRACK THEATRE LP ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER US $5.85 Buy It Now 38m 44s
DOVELLS, THE---YOU CAN'T RUN AWAY FROM YOURSELF (DooWop) US $22.00 Buy It Now 39m 16s
The Four Outside 45 The World Outside/How Can You Forget Decca Records US $9.99 Buy It Now 39m 46s
Donna Summer 45 I Feel Love/Can't We Just Sit Down(And Talk It Over)1977 #NB884 US $9.99 Buy It Now 39m 46s
PAUL PETERSEN--SHE CAN'T FIND HER KEYS(teens) US $15.00 Buy It Now 40m 1s
52nd street-I can't let you go-1986 7" single US $4.01 Buy It Now 42m 46s
LINVAL THOMPSON - CAN'T STOP NATTY DREAD / VER. [THOMPSON SOUND]...VG US $6.99 [0 bids]
42m 46s
Tracy Chapman Baby Can I Hold You Spain Promo 45 W/PS US $20.99 Buy It Now 43m 1s
THREE DOG NIGHT.....PIECES OF APRIL & WRITING ON THE WALL..1972..NICE..CAN HEAR US $0.99 [1 bids]
44m 38s
52nd Street (12" Vinyl)I Can't Let You Go-10-TEN 114 12-UK-VG/Ex US $11.22 Buy It Now 44m 56s
The Beatles: " CAN'T BUY ME LOVE & YOU CAN'T DO THAT " STAR LINE A-6279 / LOOK US $17.99 Buy It Now 44m 58s
Toni Smith(12" Vinyl)Can't Stop-Lisson-DOLE Q4-UK-VG/Ex US $11.22 Buy It Now 44m 59s
2 Lp Lot Joe Walsh You Can't Argue With A sick Mind & Peter Frampton Comes Alive US $13.99 Buy It Now 47m 2s
Tampa Red - You Can'T Get That Stuff No Mo (NEW CD) US $10.82 Buy It Now 48m 30s
Various OST(Vinyl LP Gatefold)On A Clear Day You Can See Forever-RCA-US-Ex+/Ex+ US $22.99 Buy It Now 48m 32s
Don Henley - I Can't Stand Still - Record LP US $8.73 Buy It Now 48m 35s
Geraldine Hunt(7" Vinyl)Can't Fake The Feeling-Champagne-FIZZ 501-UK-VG/Ex+ US $12.99 Buy It Now 48m 57s
LP-Perth County Conspiracy-Breakout to Berlin ~mid 70's Can. Hippie ~Psych US $49.99 [0 bids]
49m 24s
MADONNA "You can dance" RARE ED Spain CD NO PROMO "Los discos de tu vida" US $39.99 Buy It Now 49m 51s
THE WINNERS CAN THIS BE LOVE ON RAINBOW STRONG VG US $8.50 Buy It Now 50m 15s
Pop Will Eat Itself - Can U Dig It 4 mixes - US 12" US $6.99 Buy It Now 50m 58s
TIMMY THOMAS-Why Can't We Live Together/Funky Me UK 7" EX Cond US $9.62 Buy It Now 52m 49s
HERMAN'S HERMITS I CAN TAKE OR LEAVE YOUR LOVING 1967 EX COPY US $6.40 Buy It Now 53m 3s
EDDY GRANT - CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF YOU / NEIGHBOUR NEIGHBOUR [ENSIGN] ...VG++ US $5.99 [0 bids]
53m 6s
JUDY BOUCHER-CAN'T BE WITH YOU TONIGHT-ORBITONE -OR7-21 US $4.01 Buy It Now 53m 9s
KETTY LESTER.LOVE LETTERS=CASINOS.THEN YOU CAN TELL ME GOODBYE.7" VINYL.45RPM US $2.01 [0 bids]
53m 18s
1 CENT LP: Michael Jackson 45 - Billie Jean/Can't Get Outta The Rain (34-03509) US $0.01 [0 bids]
54m 4s
BUCKS FIZZ - If You Can't Stand The Heat - Ex 7" Single US $6.39 Buy It Now 54m 39s
MOODY BLUES.....I'M JUST A SINGER IN A ROCK & ROLL ...1972..NICE...CAN...HEAR US $0.99 [1 bids]
55m 20s
KEN PARKER - I CAN'T HIDE / TOMMY McCOOK - KANSAS CITY [TREASURE ISLE].....VG US $5.99 [1 bids]
55m 30s
Botando Chispa by Las Chicas Del Can (1996) (Audio Cassette Sealed) US $9.01 Buy It Now 56m 46s
Sonique - Can't Make Up My Mind - 2X12" RARE PROMO - ROBBIE RIVERA MICHAEL WOODS US $3.19 Buy It Now 56m 59s
Steve Earle CD - More Than I Can Do - from album I Feel Alright - Rare DJ CD! US $7.99 Buy It Now 57m 2s
1964 Soul Sisters I Can't Stand It LP US $74.99 [0 bids]
57m 8s
SHERYL CROW 1993 CD Single CAN'T CRY ANYMORE CD Single part2 581057.2 NearMINT US $4.80 Buy It Now 57m 21s
45RPM Dianna Ross Can't It Wait Until Tomorrow 032912EL US $19.98 Buy It Now 57m 28s
45RPM Bobby Vinton You Can Do It To Me Anytime/Every Day of My Life 032912EL US $19.98 Buy It Now 57m 29s
45RPM The Rolling Stones You can't always get what you want 032912EL US $14.98 Buy It Now 57m 29s
Young Gospel Singers Where Can I Go? 7" PROMO 45 RPM 1952 US $3.00 [1 bids]
58m 40s
LEO SAYER - 70's sheet music- MORE THAN I CAN SAY US $16.05 Buy It Now 58m 59s
SUGAR Bob Mould USA 1992 CD Single IF I CAN'T CHANGE Your mind MINT US $4.80 Buy It Now 59m 16s
B.J.THOMAS-HOOKED ON A FEELING B/W-I JUST CAN'T HELP BELIEVIN'-VG+ US $3.00 Buy It Now 59m 26s
Laura Marling - I Speak Because I Can (2010) US $6.40 Buy It Now 1h
JOHNNY TILLOTSON-2 FOR 1 original 45's!-"Out Of My Mind & I Can't Help It"-VG+ US $3.36 Buy It Now 1h
The Lettermen"Goin Out Of My/Can't Take My Eyes Off You"back "I believe" 45 US $1.75 [0 bids]
1h
Human Mind - Can You Feel The Rhythm - 12" TRANCE 1996 US $3.19 Buy It Now 1h
I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF by BILLY & THE BEATERS US $0.99 [0 bids]
I Can See [CD] [Single] by Spanish Fly CD Brand New US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
JAY MARS: Rare Garage Soul YOU'RE SO FINE / CAN I GET A WITNESS Bangar Label US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
You Can Still Rock America Classic Greatest Americana ERIC CARMEN BLASTERS US $9.11 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Eddie Rabbitt, I Can't Help Myself / She Loves Me Like She Means It US $2.99 [0 bids]
Connie Francis, If My Pillow Could Talk / You're The Only One Can Hurt Me US $2.99 [0 bids]
Bert Kaempfert, I Can't Give You Anything But Love / Milica US $2.99 [0 bids]
45 RPM RECORD/13C) JOHNNY TILLOTSON / I CAN'T HELP IT US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Who Can I Turn to, Bennett, Tony, Acceptable US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Dead Can Dance RECORD 2 LP Into Labyrinth DAD Goth punk UK Electronic NM w/Inner US $119.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
78rpm GRACIE FIELDS if i can help somebody / count your blessings US $25.68 Buy It Now 1h 7m
PATTY HALL CAN'T STOP TALKING ON SUNFLOWER 123 PROMO US $7.00 [0 bids]
Large Joints - We Can Dance - Snow - 1998 #32260 US $6.40 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Vintage Columbia 10" 78 record Tony Bennet "Can You Find it in Your Heart" US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
ROCKABILLY.....FARON YOUNG.....HOW MUCH I MUST HAVE LOVED YOU...(M-)..CAN..HEAR US $4.99 [0 bids]
(555Z) The Lemonheads, I Just Can't Take It... - DJ CD US $4.80 Buy It Now 1h 9m
THE STROGGS " THE BEST OF " I CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF - FERMATA 1969 MEXICAN EP 7'' US $32.80 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Gene Pitney-Only Love Can Break a Heart/She's a Heartbreaker-COL 317 VG+ 45 US $2.99 [0 bids]
Guthrie, Gwen - Can't Love You Tonight/The Surgeon General's Funky... (45,1988) US $3.75 Buy It Now 1h 14m
JASON DONOVAN " NOTHING CAN DIVIDE US " 7" SINGLE NR MINT 1988 US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 14m
UTADA HIKARU - Can You Keep A Secret? (OBI Japan J-Pop alternative pop) US $9.99 [0 bids]
HOLLAND & DOZIER. 'Why Can't We Be Lovers'. Orig Ex+ 1972 UK 'Invictus' Label 7" US $4.80 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Can-Can, music from Cole Porter's Broadway show vinyl US $10.00 [0 bids]
SUZI QUATRO-CAN THE CAN STEREO/MONO BELL VG+ rock 45 US $6.98 Buy It Now 1h 15m
BEATLES-DAY TRIPPER/WE CAN WORK IT OUT rock 45 US $6.98 Buy It Now 1h 15m
ERIC CLAPTON & HIS BAND-I CAN'T STAND IT STEREO/MONO NM 45 US $7.98 Buy It Now 1h 15m
DO OR DIE can u make it hot 12" Mint- 7243 8 38725 1 Vinyl 2000 Record US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
DEBBIE HARRY Blondie 1993 CD Single I CAN SEE CLEARLY Pt2 NearMINT US $4.80 Buy It Now 1h 16m
CHICAGO along comes a woman / we can stop the hurtin' 7" Mint- WARNER BROS US $6.75 Buy It Now 1h 16m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Flow Motion ratings distribution

CAN Flow Motion reviews

Review by corbet
3 stars Landed, the album before this one, contains some of CAN's best work ("Vernal Equinox" and "Unfinished", to name a few). So when people tell you that CAN fell off their creative horse after Soon Over Babaluma, don't believe them -- that, in fact, began to happen on THIS album, sadly enough. Despite the popular notion that it was the introduction of true multi-track recording that destroyed their muse (albums before Landed were recorded on two 2-track machines), I think it has a lot more to do with the band's yearning for even a dribble of commercial recognition. What were they thinking? CAN couldn't write a "normal" pop tune if their lives depended on it. That said, this album is still enjoyable, and is a shining masterpiece compared to what would rear its head later (oh god...). Anyway, the first obvious thing that hits you is the virtual disappearance of one of the greatest drummers ever, Jaki Liebezeit. He's still here, by the way, he just plays as if he got hit over the head with a big bag of bricks and woke up to find himself a lazy, run-of-the-mill disco drummer. His drumming was always the skeletal core of CAN's music, so now that he's in "dumb mode," 80% of the magic is gone missing. Still, the music they pull off here (mostly their misguided attempts at "disco rock" and "reggae pop") is far from offensive: Michael Karoli is still in his prime on guitar, and I like a lot of the washy keyboard sounds. And, the 10 minute title track which concludes the album is actually perfect in spite of the sparse drums: it is a big, spacious groover -- like Jimi Hendrix on a rainy day -- with masterful guitar soloing and big swipes of colorful keyboard which add up to some truly sublime music. If the whole album were in the vein of "Flow Motion," it would be one of my favorites, no problem. Overall, established fans craving more CAN goodness will probably find something to like here, but the band's golden era is clearly behind them.

Send comments to corbet (BETA) | Report this review (#23295) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Review by philippe
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Content Development & Krautrock Team
3 stars For me this album is the best from the post "Landed" era. Globally, "Flow motion" is less experimental & noisy than the previous ones. The mood tend to be more melodic with a stress on rythmical sections which reveals cool funky & reggae influences. But be careful this one is a more mainstream work.

Send comments to philippe (BETA) | Report this review (#23296) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars CAN was always a hard group to pin down, in part because they made a career out of re-inventing themselves from album to album (and just as often from track to track). But at its lowest common denominator their music tended to fall into alternating dark and light phases, and this 1976 effort was one of the band's brightest: 38 minutes of pure musical sunshine.

It's easily the best and most varied of their later, Virgin-era recordings. And while the music is a long way from the brainwave grooves and iconoclastic Krautrock energy of albums like "Tago Mago" and "Ege Banyasi", it still hails from roughly the same cultural neighborhood, with a similar mix of eclectic influences, as always the only constant in the kaleidoscopic CAN soundstage.

Call it Krautpop if you want, and then watch fans of their earlier, harder-edged masterpieces turn purple after hearing the ersatz disco beat of "I Want More", the album opener here, and an obvious (some would say almost heretical) bid for a wider slice of the Top-40 pie. (The same sessions furnished an even more unlikely follow-up single: an up-tempo, dance floor cover of, believe it or not, the old Yuletide carol "Silent Night".)

All right, so this particular re-invention won't rattle your headphones like "Tago Mago". And a few of the songs are so routine (for this quartet of innovators, anyway) that it's hard to recall them in any detail five minutes later. I've been listening to the album for years, and still can't remember the melody of "Babylonian Pearl".

But even so far removed from the controlled chaos of their Krautrock roots, CAN was still capable of the unexpected gesture, like Irmin Schmidt's sudden squelches of noise during the otherwise unremarkable pastiche of "Cascade Waltz". Or the urgent industrial/tribal percussion of "Smoke", a throwback to an older, more dangerous incarnation of the band, and the latest in their ingoing "Ethnological Forgery Series" of sonic experiments: E.F.S. No. 59, to be precise, but the first to be featured outside the raw basement tapes of the "Unlimited Edition" album, released at around the same time.

Every CAN recording has it's own unique signature sound, and here it belongs to guitarist Michael Karoli. On the aforementioned "Smoke" he's credited with "background noise", but elsewhere on the album the sheer diversity of his talent is front and center in the mix, ranging from the fuzzy staccato of "I Want More" (a full decade before The Smiths borrowed the same technique for their popular "How Soon is Now?") to his trademark bagpipe-like sustains, and even including an enthusiastically strummed baglama (a miniature, three-string bouzouki) on the mock-reggae vamp "Laugh Till You Cry, Live Till You Die".

He even provided the cover photo, admittedly not the best album artwork in the CAN discography, but another small reminder of how completely self-reliant this group was, in both music making and packaging.

And then there's the 10+ minute title track: a long, hypnotic jam over a slow but urgent three-note ganja bass riff by Holger Czukay, always a sucker for that dubby rastakraut sound. Karoli offers something close to a guitar clinic here, with thrilling sheets of processed noise giving way to the sort of relaxed fretwork familiar to any Deadhead, and finally indulging in some crunchy Superfly wah-wah pedal abuse.

It's a cool ending to an otherwise warm and engaging album. Doctrinaire Krautrock heads might turn their nose up at it, but CAN, as always, has the perfect riposte, sung (of course) by Michael Karoli in the song "Laugh Till You Cry" and pretty much summing up the entire album:

There's method to my madness...

Maybe you don't see it,

But if I want to be a fool

Why don't you let me be it?

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#43382) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005

Review by Seyo
3 stars True - this album is a far cry from CAN's trademark experimental albums, but in a twisted way it is very attractive listen. Only "...And More" and "Babylonian Pearl" are clear throwaways - the rest is still interesting music, which although a bit closer to "conventional" rock (or even pop) songs still retains quality. If nothing, this album features a genuine multi-instrumental talent of Michael Karoli who shines brightly, be it with electric guitar solos and processed effects or with violin and Turkish baglama strings. He also shares lead vocals with Schmidt. Disco-like beat of CAN's ever only hit single "I Want More" is a catchy pop tune a la NEW ORDER of the 1980s (another reviewer cleverly pointed out at the opening guitar riff as a precursor to THE SMITHS' "How Soon Is Now" of 1984!), while strong reggae influences hold up to "Cascade Waltz", "Laugh Till You Cry" and the hypnotic title track (with some unearthly Karoli's guitar playing). This album is very interesting to explore, although it is far from being essential or important in the band's catalogue. 3,5 stars actually!

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59258) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 05, 2005

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars Okay everyone, stay behind the line. Nothing to hear, see?

Can appears to be completely out of ideas on this one, and resorsts to creating an album of simple, uninteresting pop songs. Okay, not totally uninteresting, there are some fair guitar solos from time to time, and a couple of songs are broken up by some Can-like sound effects, but generally uninteresting.

What you get here is some proto-disco, reggae, one surf waltz tune, a little electronica, and all completely forgettable. What's missing are the great rhythms and playful explorations of the earlier Can albums. I don't know if they were going for radio airplay and accessabilty or what, but this album misses the mark.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221682) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Flow Motion is an uneven but good Can album. It continued the softer sound of Landed and showed some experimentalism into funkier and world music territories.

The opening I Want More is a fun pop song, very similar to what Kraftwerk would be doing soon after. Of course Can uses acoustic drums and a great delayed guitar effect, but the feel is very similar to Kraftwerk and the 80's synth pop that it spawned. Cascade Waltz is - you can guess it ? a waltz, nothing remarkable but nevertheless good. Laugh Till is a reggae song and together with Babylon Pearl it's the weakest track on the album. Not because it's reggae but simply because both are really uninspired song. Smoke is essential though. 6 years before Peter Gabriel would write Rhythm of the Heat, Can already did an instrumental version of it. Call it very dark world music. There's really no end to the imaginative power of this band. The closing Flow Motion is an extended spacey guitar solo on a hypnotizing reggae rhythm. Chill man!

With 28 minutes of enjoyable music of which 20 minutes are excellent, 3 stars are deserved.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255271) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by snobb
3 stars Kraut-reggae by Can? Unusual turn, I can say.

Possibly, to change the direction wasn't a bad idea, the year was 1976, and new generation with their own music was coming. Reggae, ska and Funk all aren't bad ideas themselves whenever their smell was all around on the streets. But - the recipe of this brew is under the question.

Can took unusual (for their previous kraut-rock) components, but unhappily main accent was made on their relaxed/pop side, not on psyche or punkish. As a result "Flow Motion" is quite sunny and funny album, with almost danceable rhythms. Not boring ( and quite successful commercially), but not too much inspired.

Album's music is pleasant listening, possibly without strong classic Can signature. And I believe many Can fans will research such their move with some interest. But - far not on the level of their earlier classic albums. Beginning of the end?

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#290177) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Honestly, a lightweight, dance-pop-oriented album like this is probably the best that could have been hoped for from the band at this point. The band isn't on the cutting edge at all anymore, the rhythm section is MIGHTY no more (though it still sounds okay, doing what it needs to for these grooves), and there are no brilliant pop hooks waiting around to aid the band's move in a poppier direction. You know what, though? It may aim relatively low by Classic Can standards, but it mostly manages to bullseye those lowered expectations, and at the least it has no misguided efforts on the level of "Unfinished" (or, to a less severe extent, "Chain Reaction").

Seven tracks, not a total duffer among them. There are a lot of reggae influences on here, especially in the closing ten-minute title track and in the wonderful (and wonderfully titled) "Laugh Till You Cry, Live Till You Die." "I Want More" (and it's reprise, "... And More") makes good use of the Bo Diddley beat and crosses it with an amusing little synth puttering, creating a song that actually got Can a top-30 single. There's more pop, some atmosphere, and just a whole lot of relatively simplistic song rhythms with Karoli and Schmidt performing a bunch of moderately amusing parlor tricks. That's not an insult, so you know; the songs on this album hardly add much of historical significance to the Can legacy, but it definitely works as cheerful background for my commute, and that works for me.

In short, this isn't an album that can receive a long review, but that's more a function of being samey and not extremely memorable in terms of individual songs. It works just fine as an album, and could have been an effective swan-song had the band not gotten greedy and thought it could pull off a more "serious" approach again ...

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#364752) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 26, 2010

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Flow Motion" is the 8th full-length studio album by German krautrock act Can. The album was released through Harvest/Virgin Records in October 1976. The opening track "I Want More" was released as a single and became a hit in the UK.

The music on the album is the unmistakable the sound of Can. Repetitive rhythm figures and melodies and a jamming and generally adventurous approach to playing music. Itīs mostly instrumental but several of the tracks feature minimalistic vocal lines delivered in a sedated sounding vocal style. While the basis in the music is the same as when the band started out, the bandīs music has become more accessible over the years and that trend continues on "Flow Motion". Tracks like "I Want More" and "Babylonian Pearl" both feature mainstream "hit" potential to my ears and are among the bandīs most simple and accessible material. That doesnīt mean that "Flow Motion" isnīt an experimental rock album though. The band have opted to include quite a few musical influences in the music in their never ending quest for trying out new things. This time around off beat reggae rhythms are a dominant part of the albumīs sound. When they mix that influence with a country music type violin on "Laugh Until You Cry", thatīs when things really take off into space.

The album features a pleasant sounding organic sound production that suits the music well, and paired with the excellent musicianship, and the at times interesting songwriting, "Flow Motion" is a relatively good quality release. Itīs not an album that blows my socks off, but itīs an enjoyable listening experience and a 3 - 3.5 star (65%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#948130) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 23, 2013

3 stars FLOW MOTION! Second great fall of quality in CAN discography. First would be LANDED, IMHO. This album is second in one more category: The WORST CAN ALBUM. Gold medal for RITE TIME in that category. As of sound, it's pretty modern and empty. I can compare this album with late CAN albums and w ... (read more)

Report this review (#281528) | Posted by alionida | Wednesday, May 12, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars CAN made it onto Top of the Pops with "I want more". I still remember the shock of it! But I really do want less of that track, much less. And much of the rest of the album is of passing iterest only. Yes folks, this is where the wheels came off the wagon. ... (read more)

Report this review (#35303) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is 4 star must have in any krautrock collection.Standout tracks Flow Motion and Laugh till you cry - live till you die, are two of the best Can tracks ever, for sheer groove appeal they're amongst the krautrock greats with funky bass, sparce jazzy rhythms, spacey keyboards and wond ... (read more)

Report this review (#23298) | Posted by | Tuesday, March 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Flow Motion"