FLOW MOTION

Buy CAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1976

1. I Want more (3:29)
2. Cascade Waltz (5:35)
3. Laugh until you Cry (6:43)
4. ...And More (2:43)
5. Babylonian Pearl (3:29)
6. Smoke EFS No. 59 (5:15)
7. Flow Motion (10:23)

Search CAN Flow Motion lyrics

Search CAN Flow Motion tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitars, slide guitar & electric violin (No 2), Baglama (No 3), background noise (No 6), lead vocal on 2 & 3, back vocal on 1,4,7
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards, Alpha 77, lead vocal on 5, back vocals on 1,4
- Holger Czukay / bass, Djin (No 6), back vocal on 1,4,6
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums, percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Flow Motion Music

Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Vinyl$17.43
LandedLanded
Vinyl$18.49
Saw DelightSaw Delight
Vinyl$18.49
KIM WILDE - CATCH AS CATCH CAN - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $27.43 Buy It Now 33m 3s
Genesis We Can't Dance 12 Track Cassette US $10.81 Buy It Now 33m 40s
I Can Only Imagine - V/A New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $23.35 Buy It Now 33m 56s
Taylor Dayne - Can't Get Enough Of Your Love 3 Track CD Single US $4.34 Buy It Now 34m
Paulini - We Can Try 4 Track CD Single US $6.97 Buy It Now 34m 18s
Eye To Eye - Just Can't Get Enough 3 Track CD Single US $6.97 Buy It Now 36m 13s
DAN HARTMAN "I can dream about you/BLASTERS Blue Shadows" 7"45 RPM Vinyl Record US $2.63 Buy It Now 36m 48s
Christina Aguilera - Can't Hold Us Down 3 Track CD Single US $6.09 Buy It Now 39m 15s
We Can't Fly - Aeroplane New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $19.41 Buy It Now 40m 15s
MALCOLM ROBERTS 60's Sheet Music- WE CAN MAKE IT, GIRL US $16.03 Buy It Now 46m 22s
+ ELTON JOHN. CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE TONIGHT CD 4trk excellent condition US $1.76 Buy It Now 47m 47s
Sandra, Heaven Can Wait/Hiroshima, 12" Single, 1989, Virgin US $17.48 [0 bids]
50m 15s
Dion & The Belmonts-No One Knows & I Can't Go On 45 record US $5.00 [0 bids]
55m 2s
Allan Sherman 45 My Son The Vampire / I Can't Dance US $5.00 Buy It Now 55m 18s
THE CYRKLE HOW CAN I LEAVE HER/RED RUBBER BALL COLUMBIA RECORDS 45 RPM 7" US $5.00 Buy It Now 55m 18s
TYRONE DAVIS Can I Change My Mind/A Woman Needs to be Loved US $5.00 Buy It Now 55m 18s
ELVIS PRESLEY IF I CAN DREAM/EDGE OF REALITY RCA VICTOR RECORDS 45 RPM 7" US $5.00 Buy It Now 55m 18s
RAY CHARLES BORN TO LOSE/I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU ABC PARAMOUNT RECORDS 45 RPM US $5.00 Buy It Now 55m 18s
MICHAEL JACKSON BEN/YOU CAN CRY ON MY SHOULDER MOTOWN RECORDS 45 RPM 7" US $5.00 Buy It Now 55m 18s
MARVIN GAYE PRIDE & JOY/CAN I GET A WITNESS MOTOWN YESTERYEAR SERIES RECORDS US $5.00 Buy It Now 55m 18s
You Can't Take It With You - Tall As Lions As New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $22.32 Buy It Now 56m 41s
LISTEN - TEEN POPCORN - JEFFREY ALLEN - WHY CAN'T A BOY CRY - BEYOND THE NEXT US $9.99 [0 bids]
58m 7s
CANAXIS 5 - Technical Space Composer's Crew MINT LP CAN US $71.87 Buy It Now 59m 10s
ADVENTURERS: Can't Stop The Twistin' LP (Mono, promo lbl, demo rubber stamp obc US $45.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
The Escorts - I Can't Be Free /One Hand One Heart Northern Soul WEST SIDE STORY US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
How Can I Keep From Singing? - Vol. 2-Early American Rural Re [CD New] US $17.30 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Sparky Lightbourne Can't Stop CD Single US $5.35 Buy It Now 1h 7m
BOZ SCAGGS - 45 VINYL RECORD - LIDO SHUFFLE b/w WHAT CAN I SAY US $2.98 [1 bids]
Taylor Dayne Can't get enough of your love CD Single US $5.35 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Boyzone Baby Can I Hold You & Shooting Star Cassette Tape Single - TESTED US $8.02 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Redskins: It Can Be Done 7" 1986 UK Release: Picture Sleeve: Excellent. US $1.60 [0 bids]
Farley Jackmaster Love Can't House Nation Vinyl 12" WBMX Chicago House Music US $3.99 [0 bids]
AL HUDSON "You Can Do It" 12" vinyl single record - dance/club - EX - 1979 US $2.99 [0 bids]
VAN HALEN 5150 1986 LP (Why Can't This Be Love) EX US $10.98 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Cowsills-MGM se 4534-We can fly SS US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Rainbow ?- Can't Let You Go Polydor Records ?- POSP 654 UK 7inch 45 single US $7.84 [0 bids]
Can't Slow Down_LIONEL RICHIE_used cassette_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $10.52 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Bang On A Can - Classics CD Classical Electronic & Computer US $20.19 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Now! Country 8 Various Can CD Pop Country V/A Compilations US $22.86 Buy It Now 1h 31m
JAY DEE BRYANT: Can't Believe You Wanna Leave (soul vinyl 45) US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Bobby Brown - Two Can Play That Game - CD Single / EP US $3.93 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Philharmonics - Oblivion Can CD US $22.86 Buy It Now 1h 34m
A. Schoenberg - Five Pieces For Orchestra/Can CD US $22.26 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Hodges Johnny - Rabbit In Paris Can CD US $22.86 Buy It Now 1h 34m
LAURA LEE-I CAN'T MAKE IT ALONE +1-JAPAN CD E25 US $22.50 Buy It Now 1h 35m
WOW! Love Can Smooth the Way by Rie Eto (CD 1997) Japan US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
BAD MANNERS - CAN CAN ARMCHAIR DISCO MAG190 7" VINYL RECORD VG 29 US $4.47 Buy It Now 1h 38m
LUSHUS DAIM & THE PRETTY VAIN - MORE THAN YOU CAN HANDLE - 1985 - VINYL 45 US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Can't Take My Eyes Off You by Sheena Easton (Maxi Remix Single) JAPAN IMPORT US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Afrojack & Shermanology ?- Can't Stop Me - Cd dj - 3 mixes - 3beat US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 42m
TAFFYS: Can't Be Just Be Friends (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 43m
FRANK IFIELD 60's Sheet music I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF.. US $16.03 Buy It Now 1h 44m
ISOBEL CAMPBELL & MARK LANEGAN Honey child what can i d US $16.79 Buy It Now 1h 47m
PHIL COLLINS ( GENESIS) YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE Italy US $20.79 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Treasures Money Can't Buy by Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver (cassette Brentwood... US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Las Chicas del Can Chican Dureco Benelux66062 Karen1986 US $43.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Phil Fearon I can prove it Chrysalis PFX 1 1986 US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
MARGIE ALEXANDER: Can I Be Your Main Thing / It Can't Last Forever 45 Funk US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 49m
The Four Tops I Can't Help Myself (SPR 90002) 1960s Stereo LP US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Phil Fearon - I Can Prove It (80s Dance) (12") US $5.60 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs - You Can't Buy A Gun When You're Crying 12" LP US $19.22 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Five Star - Can't Wait Another Minute / Don't You Know I Love It (1980s) (12") US $6.40 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Dead Can Dance A Passage In Time cd US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Eleni Mandell - I Can See The Future [Vinyl New] US $22.98 Buy It Now 2h
Dead Can Dance Spiritchaser cd US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h
BREAD-MOVE OVER/ YOU CAN'T MEASURE TH COST EKSN 45083 7" VINYL RECORD VG 38 US $14.41 Buy It Now 2h
LOU REED sally can't dance +2 Japan mini lp CD SEALED NEW US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down CD All Night Long Hello Penny Lover Stuck On You US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
THE CURE Why Can't I Be You? UK 7" PS 1987 vg/vg US $6.40 Buy It Now 2h 2m
DAN HARTMAN I Can Dream About You JAPAN PROMO P-13070 US $16.20 Buy It Now 2h 5m
GLORIA ESTERFAN AND THE MIAMI SOUND MACHINE 7" VINYL CAN'T STAY AWAY FROM YOU US $4.73 Buy It Now 2h 6m
R.W. Blackwood & the Blackwood Singers- I Can Feel Love- new/sealed 8 Track tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 8m
TRANS AM YOU CAN ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT CD NEW SEALED US $7.88 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Phil Collins You Can't Hurry Love b/w I Cannot Believe It's True 7" Single US $0.56 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES "WE CAN WORK IT OUT", 7" SINGLE, 1965, DANISH, RARE! US $35.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
DEAD CAN DANCE - SPIRITCHASER [DEAD CAN DANCE] [652637271324] - NEW CD US $8.08 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Phil Cordell Doin' The Best I Can b/w Cheatin' In The Dark 7" Single Prodigal US $1.59 [0 bids]
LEATHER NUN~"I Can Smell Your Thoughts(remix)"~UK 12" US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 12m
DJ VADIM - U CAN'T LURN IMAGINASHUN [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $13.98 Buy It Now 2h 13m
THERESA SOKYRKA - SOMETHING IS EXPECTED (CAN) (823674646127) - NEW CD US $15.02 Buy It Now 2h 14m
ANYONE CAN PLAY RADIOHEAD A Tribute CD 2001 album Miranda Sex Garden single US $0.79 [0 bids]
Bitty McClean - Nothing Can Change This Love 3-Trk (CD Single) US $5.60 Buy It Now 2h 17m
LEA ROBERTS: Can't Get Enough Of You / Same (soul vinyl 45) US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 19m
JOHNNY STEELE: Can't Go On / Danger Zone (soul vinyl 45) US $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Leo Sayer - More than I can say - Maxi Single 12" - US $8.00 [0 bids]
GLORIA JONES: Why Can't You Be Mine / Baby Don'tcha Know 45 (dj) Soul US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 20m
"I Just Can't Say Goodbye" Philly Devotion 1974 dance 7" 45rpm vinyl record EX US $2.50 [0 bids]
DINO & DOC: A Woman Can't Do 45 (co, sm wol) rare Soul US $90.00 Buy It Now 2h 22m
UTAH SAINTS 12" VINYL SINGLE P/S WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU FX 164 1991 EX US $14.35 Buy It Now 2h 24m
JOHNSTONES - CAN'T BE TRUSTED - NEW CD US $18.78 Buy It Now 2h 26m
ELISA FIORILLO HOW CAN I FORGET YOU? 7" VINYL SINGLE E8 US $2.45 Buy It Now 2h 26m
NICOLETTE LARSON ~ YOU CAN'T SAY (YOU DON'T LOVE ME ANYMORE) ~ 1985 UK 7" SINGLE US $5.61 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Johnny Horton, I Can't Forget You, Vinyl, Columbia, CS 9099 US $2.99 [1 bids]
EVERLAST : I Can't Move - Tommy Boy 2000 USA DJ PR0M0 CD single, House Of Pain US $4.47 Buy It Now 2h 29m
King Melrose Can CD Pop Rock US $29.21 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Voisine Roch - Duophonique Can CD US $41.91 Buy It Now 2h 30m
S.O.U.L. - What Is It/Can You Feel It CD US $26.09 Buy It Now 2h 30m
White Artie - Can We Get Together CD US $18.71 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Rosie Thomas - Only With Laughter Can You Win CD US $17.29 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Royal House - Can U Party Bonus Cd CD US $18.53 Buy It Now 2h 30m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Flow Motion ratings distribution

CAN Flow Motion reviews

Review by corbet
3 stars Landed, the album before this one, contains some of CAN's best work ("Vernal Equinox" and "Unfinished", to name a few). So when people tell you that CAN fell off their creative horse after Soon Over Babaluma, don't believe them -- that, in fact, began to happen on THIS album, sadly enough. Despite the popular notion that it was the introduction of true multi-track recording that destroyed their muse (albums before Landed were recorded on two 2-track machines), I think it has a lot more to do with the band's yearning for even a dribble of commercial recognition. What were they thinking? CAN couldn't write a "normal" pop tune if their lives depended on it. That said, this album is still enjoyable, and is a shining masterpiece compared to what would rear its head later (oh god...). Anyway, the first obvious thing that hits you is the virtual disappearance of one of the greatest drummers ever, Jaki Liebezeit. He's still here, by the way, he just plays as if he got hit over the head with a big bag of bricks and woke up to find himself a lazy, run-of-the-mill disco drummer. His drumming was always the skeletal core of CAN's music, so now that he's in "dumb mode," 80% of the magic is gone missing. Still, the music they pull off here (mostly their misguided attempts at "disco rock" and "reggae pop") is far from offensive: Michael Karoli is still in his prime on guitar, and I like a lot of the washy keyboard sounds. And, the 10 minute title track which concludes the album is actually perfect in spite of the sparse drums: it is a big, spacious groover -- like Jimi Hendrix on a rainy day -- with masterful guitar soloing and big swipes of colorful keyboard which add up to some truly sublime music. If the whole album were in the vein of "Flow Motion," it would be one of my favorites, no problem. Overall, established fans craving more CAN goodness will probably find something to like here, but the band's golden era is clearly behind them.

Send comments to corbet (BETA) | Report this review (#23295) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Review by philippe
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Content Development & Krautrock Team
3 stars For me this album is the best from the post "Landed" era. Globally, "Flow motion" is less experimental & noisy than the previous ones. The mood tend to be more melodic with a stress on rythmical sections which reveals cool funky & reggae influences. But be careful this one is a more mainstream work.

Send comments to philippe (BETA) | Report this review (#23296) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars CAN was always a hard group to pin down, in part because they made a career out of re-inventing themselves from album to album (and just as often from track to track). But at its lowest common denominator their music tended to fall into alternating dark and light phases, and this 1976 effort was one of the band's brightest: 38 minutes of pure musical sunshine.

It's easily the best and most varied of their later, Virgin-era recordings. And while the music is a long way from the brainwave grooves and iconoclastic Krautrock energy of albums like "Tago Mago" and "Ege Banyasi", it still hails from roughly the same cultural neighborhood, with a similar mix of eclectic influences, as always the only constant in the kaleidoscopic CAN soundstage.

Call it Krautpop if you want, and then watch fans of their earlier, harder-edged masterpieces turn purple after hearing the ersatz disco beat of "I Want More", the album opener here, and an obvious (some would say almost heretical) bid for a wider slice of the Top-40 pie. (The same sessions furnished an even more unlikely follow-up single: an up-tempo, dance floor cover of, believe it or not, the old Yuletide carol "Silent Night".)

All right, so this particular re-invention won't rattle your headphones like "Tago Mago". And a few of the songs are so routine (for this quartet of innovators, anyway) that it's hard to recall them in any detail five minutes later. I've been listening to the album for years, and still can't remember the melody of "Babylonian Pearl".

But even so far removed from the controlled chaos of their Krautrock roots, CAN was still capable of the unexpected gesture, like Irmin Schmidt's sudden squelches of noise during the otherwise unremarkable pastiche of "Cascade Waltz". Or the urgent industrial/tribal percussion of "Smoke", a throwback to an older, more dangerous incarnation of the band, and the latest in their ingoing "Ethnological Forgery Series" of sonic experiments: E.F.S. No. 59, to be precise, but the first to be featured outside the raw basement tapes of the "Unlimited Edition" album, released at around the same time.

Every CAN recording has it's own unique signature sound, and here it belongs to guitarist Michael Karoli. On the aforementioned "Smoke" he's credited with "background noise", but elsewhere on the album the sheer diversity of his talent is front and center in the mix, ranging from the fuzzy staccato of "I Want More" (a full decade before The Smiths borrowed the same technique for their popular "How Soon is Now?") to his trademark bagpipe-like sustains, and even including an enthusiastically strummed baglama (a miniature, three-string bouzouki) on the mock-reggae vamp "Laugh Till You Cry, Live Till You Die".

He even provided the cover photo, admittedly not the best album artwork in the CAN discography, but another small reminder of how completely self-reliant this group was, in both music making and packaging.

And then there's the 10+ minute title track: a long, hypnotic jam over a slow but urgent three-note ganja bass riff by Holger Czukay, always a sucker for that dubby rastakraut sound. Karoli offers something close to a guitar clinic here, with thrilling sheets of processed noise giving way to the sort of relaxed fretwork familiar to any Deadhead, and finally indulging in some crunchy Superfly wah-wah pedal abuse.

It's a cool ending to an otherwise warm and engaging album. Doctrinaire Krautrock heads might turn their nose up at it, but CAN, as always, has the perfect riposte, sung (of course) by Michael Karoli in the song "Laugh Till You Cry" and pretty much summing up the entire album:

There's method to my madness...

Maybe you don't see it,

But if I want to be a fool

Why don't you let me be it?

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#43382) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005

Review by Seyo
3 stars True - this album is a far cry from CAN's trademark experimental albums, but in a twisted way it is very attractive listen. Only "...And More" and "Babylonian Pearl" are clear throwaways - the rest is still interesting music, which although a bit closer to "conventional" rock (or even pop) songs still retains quality. If nothing, this album features a genuine multi-instrumental talent of Michael Karoli who shines brightly, be it with electric guitar solos and processed effects or with violin and Turkish baglama strings. He also shares lead vocals with Schmidt. Disco-like beat of CAN's ever only hit single "I Want More" is a catchy pop tune a la NEW ORDER of the 1980s (another reviewer cleverly pointed out at the opening guitar riff as a precursor to THE SMITHS' "How Soon Is Now" of 1984!), while strong reggae influences hold up to "Cascade Waltz", "Laugh Till You Cry" and the hypnotic title track (with some unearthly Karoli's guitar playing). This album is very interesting to explore, although it is far from being essential or important in the band's catalogue. 3,5 stars actually!

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59258) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 05, 2005

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars Okay everyone, stay behind the line. Nothing to hear, see?

Can appears to be completely out of ideas on this one, and resorsts to creating an album of simple, uninteresting pop songs. Okay, not totally uninteresting, there are some fair guitar solos from time to time, and a couple of songs are broken up by some Can-like sound effects, but generally uninteresting.

What you get here is some proto-disco, reggae, one surf waltz tune, a little electronica, and all completely forgettable. What's missing are the great rhythms and playful explorations of the earlier Can albums. I don't know if they were going for radio airplay and accessabilty or what, but this album misses the mark.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221682) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Flow Motion is an uneven but good Can album. It continued the softer sound of Landed and showed some experimentalism into funkier and world music territories.

The opening I Want More is a fun pop song, very similar to what Kraftwerk would be doing soon after. Of course Can uses acoustic drums and a great delayed guitar effect, but the feel is very similar to Kraftwerk and the 80's synth pop that it spawned. Cascade Waltz is - you can guess it ? a waltz, nothing remarkable but nevertheless good. Laugh Till is a reggae song and together with Babylon Pearl it's the weakest track on the album. Not because it's reggae but simply because both are really uninspired song. Smoke is essential though. 6 years before Peter Gabriel would write Rhythm of the Heat, Can already did an instrumental version of it. Call it very dark world music. There's really no end to the imaginative power of this band. The closing Flow Motion is an extended spacey guitar solo on a hypnotizing reggae rhythm. Chill man!

With 28 minutes of enjoyable music of which 20 minutes are excellent, 3 stars are deserved.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255271) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by snobb
3 stars Kraut-reggae by Can? Unusual turn, I can say.

Possibly, to change the direction wasn't a bad idea, the year was 1976, and new generation with their own music was coming. Reggae, ska and Funk all aren't bad ideas themselves whenever their smell was all around on the streets. But - the recipe of this brew is under the question.

Can took unusual (for their previous kraut-rock) components, but unhappily main accent was made on their relaxed/pop side, not on psyche or punkish. As a result "Flow Motion" is quite sunny and funny album, with almost danceable rhythms. Not boring ( and quite successful commercially), but not too much inspired.

Album's music is pleasant listening, possibly without strong classic Can signature. And I believe many Can fans will research such their move with some interest. But - far not on the level of their earlier classic albums. Beginning of the end?

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#290177) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Honestly, a lightweight, dance-pop-oriented album like this is probably the best that could have been hoped for from the band at this point. The band isn't on the cutting edge at all anymore, the rhythm section is MIGHTY no more (though it still sounds okay, doing what it needs to for these grooves), and there are no brilliant pop hooks waiting around to aid the band's move in a poppier direction. You know what, though? It may aim relatively low by Classic Can standards, but it mostly manages to bullseye those lowered expectations, and at the least it has no misguided efforts on the level of "Unfinished" (or, to a less severe extent, "Chain Reaction").

Seven tracks, not a total duffer among them. There are a lot of reggae influences on here, especially in the closing ten-minute title track and in the wonderful (and wonderfully titled) "Laugh Till You Cry, Live Till You Die." "I Want More" (and it's reprise, "... And More") makes good use of the Bo Diddley beat and crosses it with an amusing little synth puttering, creating a song that actually got Can a top-30 single. There's more pop, some atmosphere, and just a whole lot of relatively simplistic song rhythms with Karoli and Schmidt performing a bunch of moderately amusing parlor tricks. That's not an insult, so you know; the songs on this album hardly add much of historical significance to the Can legacy, but it definitely works as cheerful background for my commute, and that works for me.

In short, this isn't an album that can receive a long review, but that's more a function of being samey and not extremely memorable in terms of individual songs. It works just fine as an album, and could have been an effective swan-song had the band not gotten greedy and thought it could pull off a more "serious" approach again ...

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#364752) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 26, 2010

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Flow Motion" is the 8th full-length studio album by German krautrock act Can. The album was released through Harvest/Virgin Records in October 1976. The opening track "I Want More" was released as a single and became a hit in the UK.

The music on the album is the unmistakable the sound of Can. Repetitive rhythm figures and melodies and a jamming and generally adventurous approach to playing music. Itīs mostly instrumental but several of the tracks feature minimalistic vocal lines delivered in a sedated sounding vocal style. While the basis in the music is the same as when the band started out, the bandīs music has become more accessible over the years and that trend continues on "Flow Motion". Tracks like "I Want More" and "Babylonian Pearl" both feature mainstream "hit" potential to my ears and are among the bandīs most simple and accessible material. That doesnīt mean that "Flow Motion" isnīt an experimental rock album though. The band have opted to include quite a few musical influences in the music in their never ending quest for trying out new things. This time around off beat reggae rhythms are a dominant part of the albumīs sound. When they mix that influence with a country music type violin on "Laugh Until You Cry", thatīs when things really take off into space.

The album features a pleasant sounding organic sound production that suits the music well, and paired with the excellent musicianship, and the at times interesting songwriting, "Flow Motion" is a relatively good quality release. Itīs not an album that blows my socks off, but itīs an enjoyable listening experience and a 3 - 3.5 star (65%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#948130) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 23, 2013

3 stars FLOW MOTION! Second great fall of quality in CAN discography. First would be LANDED, IMHO. This album is second in one more category: The WORST CAN ALBUM. Gold medal for RITE TIME in that category. As of sound, it's pretty modern and empty. I can compare this album with late CAN albums and w ... (read more)

Report this review (#281528) | Posted by alionida | Wednesday, May 12, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars CAN made it onto Top of the Pops with "I want more". I still remember the shock of it! But I really do want less of that track, much less. And much of the rest of the album is of passing iterest only. Yes folks, this is where the wheels came off the wagon. ... (read more)

Report this review (#35303) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is 4 star must have in any krautrock collection.Standout tracks Flow Motion and Laugh till you cry - live till you die, are two of the best Can tracks ever, for sheer groove appeal they're amongst the krautrock greats with funky bass, sparce jazzy rhythms, spacey keyboards and wond ... (read more)

Report this review (#23298) | Posted by | Tuesday, March 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Flow Motion"