FLOW MOTION

Buy CAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1976

1. I Want more (3:29)
2. Cascade Waltz (5:35)
3. Laugh until you Cry (6:43)
4. ...And More (2:43)
5. Babylonian Pearl (3:29)
6. Smoke EFS No. 59 (5:15)
7. Flow Motion (10:23)

Search CAN Flow Motion lyrics

Search CAN Flow Motion tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitars, slide guitar & electric violin (No 2), Baglama (No 3), background noise (No 6), lead vocal on 2 & 3, back vocal on 1,4,7
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards, Alpha 77, lead vocal on 5, back vocals on 1,4
- Holger Czukay / bass, Djin (No 6), back vocal on 1,4,6
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums, percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Flow Motion Music

Can Vinyl BoxCan Vinyl Box
Box set
Mute 2013
Vinyl$470.33
[12'' MAXI] Debravation,I Can See Cleary Maxi 33 Promo Ex! (Murk) US $7.19 Buy It Now 30m 59s
BABYFACE ~ When Can I See You ~ 12" Single PS US $6.51 Buy It Now 31m 6s
ROGER DALTREY can't wait to see the movie LP 10 track still sealed smll deletion US $10.57 Buy It Now 31m 26s
ROGER DALTREY can't wait to see the movie LP 10 track with inner and deletion cu US $8.14 Buy It Now 31m 29s
ROGER DALTREY can't wait to see the movie LP 10 track with inner sleeve but inne US $8.14 Buy It Now 31m 30s
[12'' MAXI] Lisa Lisa And Cult Jam ,Can You Feel The Beat (CBS) UK US $5.75 Buy It Now 33m 17s
[12'' MAXI] Michael Jackson ,I Just Can't Stop Loving You (Epic) US $6.90 Buy It Now 33m 40s
KYLIE MINOGUE - CAN'T GET YOU OUT OF MY HEAD * ENHANCED CD US $6.21 Buy It Now 34m 45s
ELLA LOGAN Jingle (Bingle) Bells / Oh Dear What Can The Matter BRUNSWICK 78~8057 US $13.00 Buy It Now 35m 2s
PAULINI WE CAN TRY * CD SINGLE * promo US $7.14 Buy It Now 35m 24s
NORTHERN STATE - CAN I KEEP THIS PEN? - 2007 CD NEW [689230009221] US $3.00 Buy It Now 39m 41s
RAINDROPS - KIND OF BOY YOU CAN'T FORGET NEW CD US $10.54 Buy It Now 43m 43s
THE OPPRESSSED! - WE CAN DO ANYTHING - LP in black vinyl - (STEPLP050) US $17.93 Buy It Now 44m 38s
RICHARD ROGERS - Can't Stop - UK 8-track Sam label vinyl LP US $20.78 Buy It Now 48m 51s
Men at work-who can it be now.7" promo US $13.05 Buy It Now 52m 45s
GREATER WALTERS OF CHICAGO - HE CAN DO ANYTHING NEW CD US $14.06 Buy It Now 53m 43s
DON BYRON / BANG ON A CAN - BALLAD FOR MANY NEW CD US $22.85 Buy It Now 53m 46s
Jolie Holland : Springtime Can Kill You CD (2006) US $15.97 Buy It Now 53m 54s
LUCKY STARR All I Can Do / Don't Come Running Back OZ 45 / 1976 US $8.90 Buy It Now 54m 26s
TANYA TUCKER: CAN'T RUN FROM YOURSELF, Country, EMI **NEW CD** US $17.87 Buy It Now 55m 6s
DONNA ALLEN - Can we talk - 12" single US $8.14 Buy It Now 55m 33s
BON JOVI BECAUSE WE CAN TOUR PROGRAM US $8.94 [0 bids]
55m 40s
MENTAL AS ANYTHING IF YOU LEAVE ME, CAN I COME TOO? LP 717 US $8.99 Buy It Now 56m 56s
Jimmy Witherspoon - As Blue as They Can Be (2005) US $11.47 Buy It Now 56m 57s
HIGH INERGY 7" TMG 1087 DEMO,YOU CAN'T TURN ME OFF,LET ME GET CLOSE TO YOU US $1.61 [0 bids]
Viva Voce - The Heat Can Melt Your Brain / Lovers Lead the Way (CD) 25 Tracks US $9.77 Buy It Now 1h 2m
ZACH LUPETIN - YOU CAN'T GO BACK TO THE GARDEN OF EDEN NEW CD US $22.12 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Boyzone - Baby Can I Hold You / Shooting Star (CD Single) US $5.69 Buy It Now 1h 5m
OFFENBACH - VIRTUOSO: CAN CAN GAITE PARISIENNE (IMPORT) NEW CD US $16.26 Buy It Now 1h 6m
QUEENSRYCHE - Best I Can - 1991 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.34 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Madonna: You Can Dance. Sire 925 535-1 ed1 OBI, GIANT POSTER, NEAR MINT/MINT US $15.99 [0 bids]
The Bachelors Oh, Samuel Don't Die / No Arms Can Ever Hold You Decca 45 record US $2.68 [0 bids]
Rainbow, Can't Happen Here 7" Single 1981 German Copy. US $13.03 Buy It Now 1h 11m
BROTHER BEYOND - Can You Keep A Secret? - Ex Con 7" Single Parlophone R 6197 US $6.44 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Status Quo, If you can't stand the heat... vinyl gatefold LP. US $24.47 Buy It Now 1h 13m
PAUL PROJECT JOST - CAN'T FIND MY WAY HOME NEW CD US $24.70 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Maxi Priest How Can We Ease The Pain? (7") US $2.04 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Speedway-Can't Turn Back CD SINGLE US $2.45 Buy It Now 1h 15m
BIG FUN - Can't Shake The Feeling - 1989 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.34 Buy It Now 1h 17m
The ROLLING STONES (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction / West Coast Promotion Man 45 US $13.37 Buy It Now 1h 17m
R Kelly : I Believe I Can Fly CD (1997) US $0.41 [0 bids]
LP PURE PRARIE LEAGUE CAN'T HOLD BACK **NM VINYL** US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
David Bowie, Who can I be now, NEW/MINT Rare unofficial promo 7" vinyl single US $81.56 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Vikki Carr With Pen in Hand / Can't Take my Eyes off You 7" Single Liberty 15166 US $6.52 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Genesis,We Can't Dance,Original first pressing,LP US $48.92 Buy It Now 1h 25m
SODA CAN powertool LP 16 track with insert (sodacan) us forefront 1990 US $8.14 Buy It Now 1h 26m
[LP] Sparks,Music That You Can Dance To (Curb) {EX} USA US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Can't Slow Down Lionel Richie LP 1983 6059 ML US $11.20 Buy It Now 1h 30m
SOUNDS ALBUM VOL 3 can't start dancin' LP 14 track stiff compilation with ian du US $8.14 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Mariah Carey Rainbow (Australia) Ft Heartbreaker Can't take That Away CD - New US $8.04 Buy It Now 1h 31m
PETER JAY - CAN CAN 62 - 1962 DECCA 7" SINGLE - INSTRUMENTAL GEM - EXC. US $7.32 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Jason Donovan: Nothing Can Divide Us 7" 45 NM UK PWL 17 US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
[12'' MAXI] Baby Go Boom,Life Can Be A Hurtful Thing (Inner Vision) {NM} UK US $9.59 Buy It Now 1h 33m
[12'' MAXI] Blue Cabs,You Can Do It Rap (Flarenasch) {NM} France US $15.59 Buy It Now 1h 34m
CAN - LIVE IN HANNOVER (IMPORT) NEW VINYL US $47.85 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Sheena Easton: Machinery / So We Can Say Goodbye 7" 45 US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Albert Collins,Love Can Be Found Anywhere (Even In A Guitar),USA pressing,LP US $35.05 Buy It Now 1h 39m
SHAKIRA RIHANNA CAN'T REMEMBER TO FORGET YOU 1 TRACK PROMO CD RCA US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 39m
K.D. LANG - ALL YOU CAN EAT [K.D. LANG] - NEW CD US $6.87 Buy It Now 1h 44m
7" Vinyl Picture Sleeve Phil Collins You Can't Hurry Love US $0.16 [0 bids]
MICHAEL JACKSON 12" I Just Can't Stand Loving You UK 1987 2 Track Vinyl US $12.97 Buy It Now 1h 47m
The STRYPES 7" You Can't Judge A Book By It's Cover 3 Trk. VINYL Single Numbered US $12.97 Buy It Now 1h 47m
THE BEATMASTERS feat BETTY BOO - HEY DJ (I Can't Dance...) - 1989 Aus 12" NMINT US $8.85 Buy It Now 1h 47m
STEVE GOODMAN words we can dance to LP 10 track with ringwear (k53038) uk asylum US $8.14 Buy It Now 1h 49m
[LP] Reo Speedwagon,You Can Tune A Piano (Epic) {EX} 1 St NL US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Darren Hayman and Emma Kupa - Boy Look at What You Can't Have No US $6.51 Buy It Now 1h 50m
EUROGLIDERS - I Can't Wait To See You - 12" single US $7.15 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Linval Thompson,Can't Keep A Good Man Down,B/W:- George Nooks - Another Day,12" US $29.34 Buy It Now 1h 51m
[LP] The Days,You Can't Fool Me (Strand) {EX} Ger 1980 US $19.19 Buy It Now 1h 53m
MADONNA YOU CAN DANCE LP MADE IN BRAZIL FIRST PRES 1988 7 TRACKS WITHOUT BARCODE US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
JUNIOR PARKER: You Can't Keep A Good Man Down 45 (co) Soul US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
BAREFOOT JERRY - WATCHIN TV / YOU CAN'T GET OFF WITH YOUR SHOES ON NEW CD US $33.84 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Armand van Helden Why can't U free some time CD Single US $5.45 Buy It Now 1h 54m
STIFF SOUNDS can't start dancin LP 14 track (sounds3) uk stiff 1978 US $8.14 Buy It Now 1h 55m
STIFF SOUNDS can't start dancin LP 14 track featuring wreckless eric,ian dury,mi US $8.14 Buy It Now 1h 55m
MAPS - WE CAN CREATE NEW CD US $15.17 Buy It Now 1h 55m
CAN - SOON OVER BABALUMA (IMPORT) NEW CD US $52.90 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Twisted Sister-You Can't Stop Rock 'N' Roll/Come Out & Play/Love Is 4 Suckers CD US $17.93 Buy It Now 1h 55m
STRAWBERRY STREET SINGERS you can't have too much of a good thing LP 11 track bu US $8.14 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Steph Pockets - Can't Give Up - Japan CD - 13Tracks US $6.64 Buy It Now 1h 59m
JIMMY ELLEDGE "YOU CAN HAVE HER/I MISS YOU ALREADY"1963 RCA VICTOR ROCKABILLY US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Sanford Clark,Son-Of-A-Gun b/w I Can't Help It ïŋ― Co. sleeve,7" US $22.82 Buy It Now 2h 3m
RIDES - CAN'T GET ENOUGH NEW CD US $21.03 Buy It Now 2h 3m
WAR,Why Can't We Be Friends,American pressing. Including poster,LP US $22.82 Buy It Now 2h 4m
[12'' MAXI] Illusion,Why Can't We Live Together (Ariola) {NM} US $8.39 Buy It Now 2h 4m
John D Loudermilk single - Language Of Love / When You Can Tell Me US $8.93 Buy It Now 2h 5m
MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS - CAN'T HOLD US (IMPORT) NEW CD US $13.32 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Reggae Can't Be Stopped Now - Japan CD - NEW Lukie. D US $16.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
LITTLE IKE with Jimmy Beck & Orchestra "SHE CAN ROCK" R&B LISTEN! US $16.29 Buy It Now 2h 6m
BAD COMPANY..CAN`T GET ENOUGH..EXCELLENT 1974 ISLAND HARD/PROG. ROCK 7" WIP 6191 US $3.25 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Howard Tate:"Get It While You Can" on US Verve 10496 from 1967 US $3.00 [0 bids]
Taylor Dayne Can't Get Enough Of Your Love / 12' Vinyl Single / Near Mint Vinyl US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
CLAY, Otis - I Can't Take It (reissue) - LP + free MP3 download code US $21.29 Buy It Now 2h 9m
SWV - Can We (Mixes) (CD Single) US $5.69 Buy It Now 2h 10m
THE BEATLES_Can't Buy me Love_You Can't Do_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS!_B1a US $10.73 Buy It Now 2h 10m
BAD COMPANY..CAN`T GET ENOUGH..VERY GOOD 1974 CANADIAN IMPORT SWANSONG ROCK 7" US $3.25 Buy It Now 2h 10m
K.D. LANG - ALL YOU CAN EAT CD ALBUM ~ LIKE NEW MINT ! US $5.36 Buy It Now 2h 10m
HK Edit)Leon Lai-IF I CAN SEE YOU AGAIN(CD+VCD+PHOTO ALBUM 2-Disc Set)??-??????? US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Can't Get Enough - Rides US $12.43 Buy It Now 2h 11m
BARRY WHITE - 7" Platinum Disc & Song Sheet -CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF YOUR LOVE, BABE US $130.49 Buy It Now 2h 11m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Flow Motion ratings distribution

CAN Flow Motion reviews

Review by corbet
3 stars Landed, the album before this one, contains some of CAN's best work ("Vernal Equinox" and "Unfinished", to name a few). So when people tell you that CAN fell off their creative horse after Soon Over Babaluma, don't believe them -- that, in fact, began to happen on THIS album, sadly enough. Despite the popular notion that it was the introduction of true multi-track recording that destroyed their muse (albums before Landed were recorded on two 2-track machines), I think it has a lot more to do with the band's yearning for even a dribble of commercial recognition. What were they thinking? CAN couldn't write a "normal" pop tune if their lives depended on it. That said, this album is still enjoyable, and is a shining masterpiece compared to what would rear its head later (oh god...). Anyway, the first obvious thing that hits you is the virtual disappearance of one of the greatest drummers ever, Jaki Liebezeit. He's still here, by the way, he just plays as if he got hit over the head with a big bag of bricks and woke up to find himself a lazy, run-of-the-mill disco drummer. His drumming was always the skeletal core of CAN's music, so now that he's in "dumb mode," 80% of the magic is gone missing. Still, the music they pull off here (mostly their misguided attempts at "disco rock" and "reggae pop") is far from offensive: Michael Karoli is still in his prime on guitar, and I like a lot of the washy keyboard sounds. And, the 10 minute title track which concludes the album is actually perfect in spite of the sparse drums: it is a big, spacious groover -- like Jimi Hendrix on a rainy day -- with masterful guitar soloing and big swipes of colorful keyboard which add up to some truly sublime music. If the whole album were in the vein of "Flow Motion," it would be one of my favorites, no problem. Overall, established fans craving more CAN goodness will probably find something to like here, but the band's golden era is clearly behind them.

Send comments to corbet (BETA) | Report this review (#23295) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Review by philippe
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Content Development & Krautrock Team
3 stars For me this album is the best from the post "Landed" era. Globally, "Flow motion" is less experimental & noisy than the previous ones. The mood tend to be more melodic with a stress on rythmical sections which reveals cool funky & reggae influences. But be careful this one is a more mainstream work.

Send comments to philippe (BETA) | Report this review (#23296) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars CAN was always a hard group to pin down, in part because they made a career out of re-inventing themselves from album to album (and just as often from track to track). But at its lowest common denominator their music tended to fall into alternating dark and light phases, and this 1976 effort was one of the band's brightest: 38 minutes of pure musical sunshine.

It's easily the best and most varied of their later, Virgin-era recordings. And while the music is a long way from the brainwave grooves and iconoclastic Krautrock energy of albums like "Tago Mago" and "Ege Banyasi", it still hails from roughly the same cultural neighborhood, with a similar mix of eclectic influences, as always the only constant in the kaleidoscopic CAN soundstage.

Call it Krautpop if you want, and then watch fans of their earlier, harder-edged masterpieces turn purple after hearing the ersatz disco beat of "I Want More", the album opener here, and an obvious (some would say almost heretical) bid for a wider slice of the Top-40 pie. (The same sessions furnished an even more unlikely follow-up single: an up-tempo, dance floor cover of, believe it or not, the old Yuletide carol "Silent Night".)

All right, so this particular re-invention won't rattle your headphones like "Tago Mago". And a few of the songs are so routine (for this quartet of innovators, anyway) that it's hard to recall them in any detail five minutes later. I've been listening to the album for years, and still can't remember the melody of "Babylonian Pearl".

But even so far removed from the controlled chaos of their Krautrock roots, CAN was still capable of the unexpected gesture, like Irmin Schmidt's sudden squelches of noise during the otherwise unremarkable pastiche of "Cascade Waltz". Or the urgent industrial/tribal percussion of "Smoke", a throwback to an older, more dangerous incarnation of the band, and the latest in their ingoing "Ethnological Forgery Series" of sonic experiments: E.F.S. No. 59, to be precise, but the first to be featured outside the raw basement tapes of the "Unlimited Edition" album, released at around the same time.

Every CAN recording has it's own unique signature sound, and here it belongs to guitarist Michael Karoli. On the aforementioned "Smoke" he's credited with "background noise", but elsewhere on the album the sheer diversity of his talent is front and center in the mix, ranging from the fuzzy staccato of "I Want More" (a full decade before The Smiths borrowed the same technique for their popular "How Soon is Now?") to his trademark bagpipe-like sustains, and even including an enthusiastically strummed baglama (a miniature, three-string bouzouki) on the mock-reggae vamp "Laugh Till You Cry, Live Till You Die".

He even provided the cover photo, admittedly not the best album artwork in the CAN discography, but another small reminder of how completely self-reliant this group was, in both music making and packaging.

And then there's the 10+ minute title track: a long, hypnotic jam over a slow but urgent three-note ganja bass riff by Holger Czukay, always a sucker for that dubby rastakraut sound. Karoli offers something close to a guitar clinic here, with thrilling sheets of processed noise giving way to the sort of relaxed fretwork familiar to any Deadhead, and finally indulging in some crunchy Superfly wah-wah pedal abuse.

It's a cool ending to an otherwise warm and engaging album. Doctrinaire Krautrock heads might turn their nose up at it, but CAN, as always, has the perfect riposte, sung (of course) by Michael Karoli in the song "Laugh Till You Cry" and pretty much summing up the entire album:

There's method to my madness...

Maybe you don't see it,

But if I want to be a fool

Why don't you let me be it?

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#43382) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005

Review by Seyo
3 stars True - this album is a far cry from CAN's trademark experimental albums, but in a twisted way it is very attractive listen. Only "...And More" and "Babylonian Pearl" are clear throwaways - the rest is still interesting music, which although a bit closer to "conventional" rock (or even pop) songs still retains quality. If nothing, this album features a genuine multi-instrumental talent of Michael Karoli who shines brightly, be it with electric guitar solos and processed effects or with violin and Turkish baglama strings. He also shares lead vocals with Schmidt. Disco-like beat of CAN's ever only hit single "I Want More" is a catchy pop tune a la NEW ORDER of the 1980s (another reviewer cleverly pointed out at the opening guitar riff as a precursor to THE SMITHS' "How Soon Is Now" of 1984!), while strong reggae influences hold up to "Cascade Waltz", "Laugh Till You Cry" and the hypnotic title track (with some unearthly Karoli's guitar playing). This album is very interesting to explore, although it is far from being essential or important in the band's catalogue. 3,5 stars actually!

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59258) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 05, 2005

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars Okay everyone, stay behind the line. Nothing to hear, see?

Can appears to be completely out of ideas on this one, and resorsts to creating an album of simple, uninteresting pop songs. Okay, not totally uninteresting, there are some fair guitar solos from time to time, and a couple of songs are broken up by some Can-like sound effects, but generally uninteresting.

What you get here is some proto-disco, reggae, one surf waltz tune, a little electronica, and all completely forgettable. What's missing are the great rhythms and playful explorations of the earlier Can albums. I don't know if they were going for radio airplay and accessabilty or what, but this album misses the mark.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221682) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Flow Motion is an uneven but good Can album. It continued the softer sound of Landed and showed some experimentalism into funkier and world music territories.

The opening I Want More is a fun pop song, very similar to what Kraftwerk would be doing soon after. Of course Can uses acoustic drums and a great delayed guitar effect, but the feel is very similar to Kraftwerk and the 80's synth pop that it spawned. Cascade Waltz is - you can guess it ? a waltz, nothing remarkable but nevertheless good. Laugh Till is a reggae song and together with Babylon Pearl it's the weakest track on the album. Not because it's reggae but simply because both are really uninspired song. Smoke is essential though. 6 years before Peter Gabriel would write Rhythm of the Heat, Can already did an instrumental version of it. Call it very dark world music. There's really no end to the imaginative power of this band. The closing Flow Motion is an extended spacey guitar solo on a hypnotizing reggae rhythm. Chill man!

With 28 minutes of enjoyable music of which 20 minutes are excellent, 3 stars are deserved.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255271) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by snobb
3 stars Kraut-reggae by Can? Unusual turn, I can say.

Possibly, to change the direction wasn't a bad idea, the year was 1976, and new generation with their own music was coming. Reggae, ska and Funk all aren't bad ideas themselves whenever their smell was all around on the streets. But - the recipe of this brew is under the question.

Can took unusual (for their previous kraut-rock) components, but unhappily main accent was made on their relaxed/pop side, not on psyche or punkish. As a result "Flow Motion" is quite sunny and funny album, with almost danceable rhythms. Not boring ( and quite successful commercially), but not too much inspired.

Album's music is pleasant listening, possibly without strong classic Can signature. And I believe many Can fans will research such their move with some interest. But - far not on the level of their earlier classic albums. Beginning of the end?

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#290177) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Honestly, a lightweight, dance-pop-oriented album like this is probably the best that could have been hoped for from the band at this point. The band isn't on the cutting edge at all anymore, the rhythm section is MIGHTY no more (though it still sounds okay, doing what it needs to for these grooves), and there are no brilliant pop hooks waiting around to aid the band's move in a poppier direction. You know what, though? It may aim relatively low by Classic Can standards, but it mostly manages to bullseye those lowered expectations, and at the least it has no misguided efforts on the level of "Unfinished" (or, to a less severe extent, "Chain Reaction").

Seven tracks, not a total duffer among them. There are a lot of reggae influences on here, especially in the closing ten-minute title track and in the wonderful (and wonderfully titled) "Laugh Till You Cry, Live Till You Die." "I Want More" (and it's reprise, "... And More") makes good use of the Bo Diddley beat and crosses it with an amusing little synth puttering, creating a song that actually got Can a top-30 single. There's more pop, some atmosphere, and just a whole lot of relatively simplistic song rhythms with Karoli and Schmidt performing a bunch of moderately amusing parlor tricks. That's not an insult, so you know; the songs on this album hardly add much of historical significance to the Can legacy, but it definitely works as cheerful background for my commute, and that works for me.

In short, this isn't an album that can receive a long review, but that's more a function of being samey and not extremely memorable in terms of individual songs. It works just fine as an album, and could have been an effective swan-song had the band not gotten greedy and thought it could pull off a more "serious" approach again ...

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#364752) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 26, 2010

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Flow Motion" is the 8th full-length studio album by German krautrock act Can. The album was released through Harvest/Virgin Records in October 1976. The opening track "I Want More" was released as a single and became a hit in the UK.

The music on the album is the unmistakable the sound of Can. Repetitive rhythm figures and melodies and a jamming and generally adventurous approach to playing music. Itīs mostly instrumental but several of the tracks feature minimalistic vocal lines delivered in a sedated sounding vocal style. While the basis in the music is the same as when the band started out, the bandīs music has become more accessible over the years and that trend continues on "Flow Motion". Tracks like "I Want More" and "Babylonian Pearl" both feature mainstream "hit" potential to my ears and are among the bandīs most simple and accessible material. That doesnīt mean that "Flow Motion" isnīt an experimental rock album though. The band have opted to include quite a few musical influences in the music in their never ending quest for trying out new things. This time around off beat reggae rhythms are a dominant part of the albumīs sound. When they mix that influence with a country music type violin on "Laugh Until You Cry", thatīs when things really take off into space.

The album features a pleasant sounding organic sound production that suits the music well, and paired with the excellent musicianship, and the at times interesting songwriting, "Flow Motion" is a relatively good quality release. Itīs not an album that blows my socks off, but itīs an enjoyable listening experience and a 3 - 3.5 star (65%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#948130) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 23, 2013

3 stars FLOW MOTION! Second great fall of quality in CAN discography. First would be LANDED, IMHO. This album is second in one more category: The WORST CAN ALBUM. Gold medal for RITE TIME in that category. As of sound, it's pretty modern and empty. I can compare this album with late CAN albums and w ... (read more)

Report this review (#281528) | Posted by alionida | Wednesday, May 12, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars CAN made it onto Top of the Pops with "I want more". I still remember the shock of it! But I really do want less of that track, much less. And much of the rest of the album is of passing iterest only. Yes folks, this is where the wheels came off the wagon. ... (read more)

Report this review (#35303) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is 4 star must have in any krautrock collection.Standout tracks Flow Motion and Laugh till you cry - live till you die, are two of the best Can tracks ever, for sheer groove appeal they're amongst the krautrock greats with funky bass, sparce jazzy rhythms, spacey keyboards and wond ... (read more)

Report this review (#23298) | Posted by | Tuesday, March 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Flow Motion"