FLOW MOTION

Buy CAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1976

1. I Want more (3:29)
2. Cascade Waltz (5:35)
3. Laugh until you Cry (6:43)
4. ...And More (2:43)
5. Babylonian Pearl (3:29)
6. Smoke EFS No. 59 (5:15)
7. Flow Motion (10:23)

Search CAN Flow Motion lyrics

Search CAN Flow Motion tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitars, slide guitar & electric violin (No 2), Baglama (No 3), background noise (No 6), lead vocal on 2 & 3, back vocal on 1,4,7
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards, Alpha 77, lead vocal on 5, back vocals on 1,4
- Holger Czukay / bass, Djin (No 6), back vocal on 1,4,6
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums, percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Flow Motion Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute U.S. 2008
BOYSTOWN GANG - CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU - 7" VINYL 1982 ERC RECORDS US $5.08 Buy It Now 29m 46s
Buck Owens, Only You can break My Heart/Gonna Have Love 45 & picture sleeve US $30.00 Buy It Now 30m 2s
Jane Powell, Can't we be Friends, Vere MGV- 2023 US $22.00 Buy It Now 30m 2s
SOUL 45 STU GARDNER - NEVER GONNA HURT AGAIN / I CAN'T MAKE IT BY MYSELF REVUE US $25.00 Buy It Now 30m 2s
R. KELLY - ONLY THE LOOT CAN MAKE ME HAPPY - CD SINGLE US $1.68 [0 bids]
30m 6s
EL CEE ,BSC-001,YOU CAN CRY,SOUL,BOTH SIDES,NM-,SCARCE US $46.99 Buy It Now 30m 16s
QUOTATIONS: Havin' A Good Time / Can I Have Someone (soul vinyl 45) US $25.00 Buy It Now 30m 42s
MATT SCHWARTZ pres SHOLAN - Can You Feel (What I'm Going Through) (UK CD Single) US $11.02 Buy It Now 31m 13s
Dolly Parton - Old Flames Can't Hold A Candle To You / same 45 rpm 1980 Promo US $2.00 Buy It Now 32m 5s
REDD FOXX: Spice Can Be Nice! (comedy vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 32m 12s
CAL LINLEY & NEWPORTS: Mess Around / Can't Find A Girl (soul vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 33m 41s
Electro 12" ~ Packman ~ I'm The Packman (Eat Everything I Can) ~ Enjoy ~ mp3 US $7.99 [0 bids]
34m 2s
BIG DADDY KINSEY & SONS - Can't Let Go - US $9.99 Buy It Now 34m 7s
Irene Cara Anyone Can See LP 1982 Network Records VG+ stereo US $7.95 Buy It Now 34m 31s
ELO CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD 45 & PS FREE COMBINES U.S. SHIPPING US $2.99 Buy It Now 34m 50s
CAN.LIVE IN HANNOVER.CLEAR VINYL ALBUM NEW MINT US $33.93 Buy It Now 35m 27s
Kelly Marie Calibre 45 Record #1 EX I Can't Get Enough / Feels Like I'm In Love US $5.00 Buy It Now 36m 57s
ALVIN STARDUST - 70's Sheet Music - GOOD LOVE CAN NEVER DIE US $20.37 Buy It Now 37m 10s
Miles Davis "Eight Classic Jazz Originals You Can Play" 76' US $9.98 [0 bids]
37m 15s
Lp-CAT STEVENS-Catch Bull At Four-1972-Can't Keep It In US $5.99 Buy It Now 37m 40s
YOUTH OF TODAY Can't Close My Eyes LP (RED/CLEAR) 2 LP LOT UNPLAYED US $31.49 Buy It Now 37m 41s
YOUTH OF TODAY Can't Close My Eyes LP CLEAR VINYL REVELATION RECORDS UNPLAYED US $16.19 Buy It Now 37m 55s
GERALD ALSTON "I CAN'T TELL YOU WHY" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 39m 18s
ELKIE BROOKS, ONLY LOVE CAN BREAK YOUR HEART / JUST AN EXCUSE. 1978 A US $1.68 [0 bids]
41m 25s
LEE DORSEY Yes We Can - Part I VG(+) 45 RPM US $0.99 [1 bids]
41m 32s
Nancy Wilson - Can't Take My Eyes Off You / Now I'm A Woman - SMCR25087 US $18.52 Buy It Now 41m 45s
Eric Rapier Can't Stop Dreaming 7" Single US $27.14 Buy It Now 43m 41s
PUFF DADDY - Can't Nobody Hold Me Down (ft MASE) (UK 4 Tk CD Single) US $5.58 Buy It Now 43m 56s
These Things Can't Hurt You Now, So Throw Them in the Fire, Colt, New US $8.13 Buy It Now 45m 7s
DEPECHE MODE THE SINGLES 81-85 MUTE L1 A4 B4 new life just can't get enough etc US $4.57 [2 bids]
45m 17s
RUI VELOSO - A ESPUMA DAS CAN?OES - NEW CD US $19.12 Buy It Now 45m 25s
LEFTY FRIZZELL *DJ COPY* "THAT'S ALL I CAN REMEMBER" 45 RPM US $4.99 Buy It Now 45m 54s
Don Henley "I Can't Stand Still" NM LP US $11.99 Buy It Now 46m 19s
Hear! Folk Loner Rare Hawaii 45 Joe Grabowska / Dick Harmer - I Can Remember / M US $9.99 [0 bids]
47m 5s
O 12" Single In The Game/But They Can't 1999 US $9.99 Buy It Now 47m 10s
THE COUNTRY GENTLEMEN - CAN`T YOU HEAR ME CALLIN` - REBCD7508 US $14.77 Buy It Now 47m 33s
Dionne Warwick - How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye / Friends In Love - SBIRD0019 US $15.11 Buy It Now 48m 56s
ILL NINO How can I Live EDIT PROMO DJ CD Freddy vs Jason Nightmare on Elm Street US $34.99 Buy It Now 49m 7s
John Howard - Can You Hear Me OK? - RPM293 US $14.99 Buy It Now 49m 13s
R&B ROCKER/ROCKABILLY: JEFF HOWARD - Please/I Can't Understand TITAN US $9.95 Buy It Now 49m 31s
Tarney/Spencer Band Anything I Can Do A&M 45 Record #2214 NM 1979 US $6.00 Buy It Now 50m 7s
Collin Raye - All I Can Be / In This Life - TBIRDAM011 US $15.68 Buy It Now 50m 36s
Lostep - Because We Can - Gu Music 11 - 2006 #175916 US $5.08 Buy It Now 51m 16s
Kinny - Can't Kill A Dame With Soul - TRUCD241 US $16.62 Buy It Now 51m 28s
House 12" ~ Plez ~ Can't Stop ~ Plezure ~ mp3 VG+ US $7.99 [0 bids]
51m 46s
Vintage Men At Work - 45 Record Who Can It Be Now? US $5.99 Buy It Now 52m 24s
Virginia Gibson 45 Yes I Can/Teen Age Dance Cabot 118 Teener US $10.80 Buy It Now 52m 40s
CAN.A DOUBLE PROMO ALBUM BY.CLEAR DOUBLE VINYL NEW MINT US $49.21 Buy It Now 52m 41s
Can Catalogue SEALED 180g 17LP Box Set! #ed/1500 COPIES! Amazing Krautrock Set! US $549.99 [1 bids]
52m 44s
THE BEALE STREET SHEIKS Chicken You Can Roost MONK RECORDS Sealed Vinyl LP US $18.00 Buy It Now 53m 50s
Sarah Vaughn on 78 rpm Musicraft 398: My Kinda Love/I Can Make You Love Me US $6.99 Buy It Now 54m 34s
Scorpions Is There Anybody There / Can't Get Enough Holland Import 45 W/PS US $19.99 Buy It Now 55m 32s
TIMMY THOMAS-WHY CAN'T WE LIVE TOGETHER-JAPAN CD Ltd/Ed B50 US $14.50 Buy It Now 55m 53s
DENIECE WILLIAMS - WHAT TWO CAN DO 7" VINYL PROMO US $11.02 Buy It Now 56m 52s
AMMO - CAN`T SMILE WITHOUT YOU - SJPCD378 US $21.95 Buy It Now 56m 57s
HILLBENDERS THE - CAN YOU HEAR ME? - COM45852 US $20.42 Buy It Now 57m 2s
Lilys - Better can't make your life better (CD '96) Comes Complete! US $9.99 [0 bids]
57m 11s
SHIVA?S QUINTESSENCE - ONLY LOVE CAN SAVE US - HUX121 US $19.22 Buy It Now 57m 51s
VINCE GILL if theres anything i can do / which bridge to cross vinyl 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 58m 5s
CAPITOL MYSTER ARTIST? what a little moonlight can do /something wonderful 45 US $24.00 Buy It Now 58m 5s
REX ALLEN If God Can Forgive You ,So Can I / To Be Alone DECCA NEW 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 58m 5s
CLYDE BEAVERS last call for alcohol /how can anything so wonderful be so wrong US $24.00 Buy It Now 58m 5s
DAVID HOUSTON the woman of my mind / i can't sit still NEW OLD STOCK 45 US $15.00 Buy It Now 58m 5s
JIMMY THUDPICKER You Can't Fight It / Take Your Life WINDSONG RECORDS used 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 58m 6s
THE MAMAS & THE PAPAS-IF YOU CAN BELIEVE YOUR EYES AND~-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 58m 14s
REDBONE.....WE WERE WOUNDED AT WOUNDED KNEE & SPEAKEASY...1973...NICE..CAN HEAR US $0.99 [1 bids]
59m 1s
Four Tops 45 I CAN'T HELP MYSELF / SAD SOUVENIRS ~ Motown VG+ soul US $5.00 [0 bids]
59m 18s
FORSYTH GUY - CAN YOU LIVE WITHOUT - ANT0043 US $22.92 Buy It Now 59m 30s
GUY BARRY/GLASGOW IMPROV ORCH - SCHWEBEN - AY BUT CAN YE? - MCD1201 US $20.45 Buy It Now 1h
CURTIS STEWART/K-GROOVE - I CAN?T HEAR U WHEN U SHO - 33JAZZ207 US $20.49 Buy It Now 1h
BETTYE LAVETTE "I CAN'T STOP" CLASSIC MOTOWN DANCER DEMO LISTEN! US $15.26 Buy It Now 1h
OFFSPRING UK 7" picture disc, (CAN'T GET MY)HEAD AROUND YOU US $13.00 Buy It Now 1h
When the World Is Running Down (You Can't Go Wrong), Different Gear Vs the Polic US $2.36 Buy It Now 1h 2m
R&B Mod Young Holt Trio AIN'T THERE SOMETHING THAT MONEY CAN'T BUY Brunswick 45 US $9.99 [0 bids]
BEDOUIN JERRY CAN BAND - COFFEE TIME - 50667 US $19.03 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Soul 45 THE 8TH DAY I Can't Fool Myself on Invictus 8 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Soul 45 LOU RAWLS You Can't Hold On on MGM 3 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Soul 45 JOE SIMON I Can't Stand A Liar on Spring US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Soul 45 TED TAYLOR You Can Make It If You Try on Alarm US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Reggae John Holt WHY CAN'T I TOUCH YOU / TOUCHING Studio 1 45 US $9.99 [0 bids]
CAROL CAYNE 7" vinyl record WHAT MY LOVE CAN BRING US $8.39 Buy It Now 1h 4m
ORIGINAL LONDON CAST - WEDDING IN PARIS/CAN-CAN - SEPIA1041 US $12.80 Buy It Now 1h 4m
BROWN SAWYER - CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW - CURCD113 US $11.58 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Disco 12" ~ Real Thing ~ Can You Feel The Force ~ Epic ~ mp3 WLP VG++ US $7.99 [0 bids]
A TRIBE CALLED QUEST - Can I Kick It (rap cassette single/cassingle) MAXI US $6.11 [4 bids]
Teresa Brewer I'm Drowning My Sorrows/How Lonely Can One Be 9-61776 45 RPM US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
I Can Put My Arm Back On You Cant - Je Peux Reattacher Mon Bras Toi Non RARE CD US $16.96 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Can't buy me love!!! The Beatles!!! From Japan!!! US $65.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Impressions Check Out Your Mind / Can't You See 45 RPM Vinyl US $8.29 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Can "I Want More" LP Ltd Orange Wax Numbered UK Import Spoon Records US $15.99 [0 bids]
CORD 7" GO EITHER WAY / AS FAR AS WE CAN GO VINYL RECORD 45 US $6.77 Buy It Now 1h 8m
The Hollies 45 Elevated Observations/Do The Best You Can Epic Records #5-10361 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
ROY ELLIS Mr. Symarip-YOU CAN'T LEAVE NOW/Stay With Him-NEW PROMO CD SINGLE US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
LOU RAWLS.....SPRING AGAIN & SEE YOU WHEN I GIT THERE...1977...NICE,,,CAN HEAR US $0.99 [0 bids]
Elton John - Mama Can't Buy You Love - 7" Vinyl - US Press - Vinyl US $6.70 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Blues NM! 45 CLARENCE CARTER AND CANDI If You Can't Beat 'Em on Atlantic 1 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Soul NM! 45 ISAAC HAYES I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You) on US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Pop Promo 45 THE NEW YORK ELECTRIC STRING ENSEMBLE Ray Can't Play The Piano Any US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Soul NM! 45 ISAAC HAYES It Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You) on Ente US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Pop Promo 45 SOUNDS OF SUNSHINE Anything Can Happen on Ranwood (promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 11m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Flow Motion ratings distribution

CAN Flow Motion reviews

Review by corbet
3 stars Landed, the album before this one, contains some of CAN's best work ("Vernal Equinox" and "Unfinished", to name a few). So when people tell you that CAN fell off their creative horse after Soon Over Babaluma, don't believe them -- that, in fact, began to happen on THIS album, sadly enough. Despite the popular notion that it was the introduction of true multi-track recording that destroyed their muse (albums before Landed were recorded on two 2-track machines), I think it has a lot more to do with the band's yearning for even a dribble of commercial recognition. What were they thinking? CAN couldn't write a "normal" pop tune if their lives depended on it. That said, this album is still enjoyable, and is a shining masterpiece compared to what would rear its head later (oh god...). Anyway, the first obvious thing that hits you is the virtual disappearance of one of the greatest drummers ever, Jaki Liebezeit. He's still here, by the way, he just plays as if he got hit over the head with a big bag of bricks and woke up to find himself a lazy, run-of-the-mill disco drummer. His drumming was always the skeletal core of CAN's music, so now that he's in "dumb mode," 80% of the magic is gone missing. Still, the music they pull off here (mostly their misguided attempts at "disco rock" and "reggae pop") is far from offensive: Michael Karoli is still in his prime on guitar, and I like a lot of the washy keyboard sounds. And, the 10 minute title track which concludes the album is actually perfect in spite of the sparse drums: it is a big, spacious groover -- like Jimi Hendrix on a rainy day -- with masterful guitar soloing and big swipes of colorful keyboard which add up to some truly sublime music. If the whole album were in the vein of "Flow Motion," it would be one of my favorites, no problem. Overall, established fans craving more CAN goodness will probably find something to like here, but the band's golden era is clearly behind them.

Send comments to corbet (BETA) | Report this review (#23295) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Review by philippe
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Content Development & Krautrock Team
3 stars For me this album is the best from the post "Landed" era. Globally, "Flow motion" is less experimental & noisy than the previous ones. The mood tend to be more melodic with a stress on rythmical sections which reveals cool funky & reggae influences. But be careful this one is a more mainstream work.

Send comments to philippe (BETA) | Report this review (#23296) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars CAN was always a hard group to pin down, in part because they made a career out of re-inventing themselves from album to album (and just as often from track to track). But at its lowest common denominator their music tended to fall into alternating dark and light phases, and this 1976 effort was one of the band's brightest: 38 minutes of pure musical sunshine.

It's easily the best and most varied of their later, Virgin-era recordings. And while the music is a long way from the brainwave grooves and iconoclastic Krautrock energy of albums like "Tago Mago" and "Ege Banyasi", it still hails from roughly the same cultural neighborhood, with a similar mix of eclectic influences, as always the only constant in the kaleidoscopic CAN soundstage.

Call it Krautpop if you want, and then watch fans of their earlier, harder-edged masterpieces turn purple after hearing the ersatz disco beat of "I Want More", the album opener here, and an obvious (some would say almost heretical) bid for a wider slice of the Top-40 pie. (The same sessions furnished an even more unlikely follow-up single: an up-tempo, dance floor cover of, believe it or not, the old Yuletide carol "Silent Night".)

All right, so this particular re-invention won't rattle your headphones like "Tago Mago". And a few of the songs are so routine (for this quartet of innovators, anyway) that it's hard to recall them in any detail five minutes later. I've been listening to the album for years, and still can't remember the melody of "Babylonian Pearl".

But even so far removed from the controlled chaos of their Krautrock roots, CAN was still capable of the unexpected gesture, like Irmin Schmidt's sudden squelches of noise during the otherwise unremarkable pastiche of "Cascade Waltz". Or the urgent industrial/tribal percussion of "Smoke", a throwback to an older, more dangerous incarnation of the band, and the latest in their ingoing "Ethnological Forgery Series" of sonic experiments: E.F.S. No. 59, to be precise, but the first to be featured outside the raw basement tapes of the "Unlimited Edition" album, released at around the same time.

Every CAN recording has it's own unique signature sound, and here it belongs to guitarist Michael Karoli. On the aforementioned "Smoke" he's credited with "background noise", but elsewhere on the album the sheer diversity of his talent is front and center in the mix, ranging from the fuzzy staccato of "I Want More" (a full decade before The Smiths borrowed the same technique for their popular "How Soon is Now?") to his trademark bagpipe-like sustains, and even including an enthusiastically strummed baglama (a miniature, three-string bouzouki) on the mock-reggae vamp "Laugh Till You Cry, Live Till You Die".

He even provided the cover photo, admittedly not the best album artwork in the CAN discography, but another small reminder of how completely self-reliant this group was, in both music making and packaging.

And then there's the 10+ minute title track: a long, hypnotic jam over a slow but urgent three-note ganja bass riff by Holger Czukay, always a sucker for that dubby rastakraut sound. Karoli offers something close to a guitar clinic here, with thrilling sheets of processed noise giving way to the sort of relaxed fretwork familiar to any Deadhead, and finally indulging in some crunchy Superfly wah-wah pedal abuse.

It's a cool ending to an otherwise warm and engaging album. Doctrinaire Krautrock heads might turn their nose up at it, but CAN, as always, has the perfect riposte, sung (of course) by Michael Karoli in the song "Laugh Till You Cry" and pretty much summing up the entire album:

There's method to my madness...

Maybe you don't see it,

But if I want to be a fool

Why don't you let me be it?

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#43382) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005

Review by Seyo
3 stars True - this album is a far cry from CAN's trademark experimental albums, but in a twisted way it is very attractive listen. Only "...And More" and "Babylonian Pearl" are clear throwaways - the rest is still interesting music, which although a bit closer to "conventional" rock (or even pop) songs still retains quality. If nothing, this album features a genuine multi-instrumental talent of Michael Karoli who shines brightly, be it with electric guitar solos and processed effects or with violin and Turkish baglama strings. He also shares lead vocals with Schmidt. Disco-like beat of CAN's ever only hit single "I Want More" is a catchy pop tune a la NEW ORDER of the 1980s (another reviewer cleverly pointed out at the opening guitar riff as a precursor to THE SMITHS' "How Soon Is Now" of 1984!), while strong reggae influences hold up to "Cascade Waltz", "Laugh Till You Cry" and the hypnotic title track (with some unearthly Karoli's guitar playing). This album is very interesting to explore, although it is far from being essential or important in the band's catalogue. 3,5 stars actually!

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59258) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 05, 2005

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars Okay everyone, stay behind the line. Nothing to hear, see?

Can appears to be completely out of ideas on this one, and resorsts to creating an album of simple, uninteresting pop songs. Okay, not totally uninteresting, there are some fair guitar solos from time to time, and a couple of songs are broken up by some Can-like sound effects, but generally uninteresting.

What you get here is some proto-disco, reggae, one surf waltz tune, a little electronica, and all completely forgettable. What's missing are the great rhythms and playful explorations of the earlier Can albums. I don't know if they were going for radio airplay and accessabilty or what, but this album misses the mark.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221682) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Flow Motion is an uneven but good Can album. It continued the softer sound of Landed and showed some experimentalism into funkier and world music territories.

The opening I Want More is a fun pop song, very similar to what Kraftwerk would be doing soon after. Of course Can uses acoustic drums and a great delayed guitar effect, but the feel is very similar to Kraftwerk and the 80's synth pop that it spawned. Cascade Waltz is - you can guess it ? a waltz, nothing remarkable but nevertheless good. Laugh Till is a reggae song and together with Babylon Pearl it's the weakest track on the album. Not because it's reggae but simply because both are really uninspired song. Smoke is essential though. 6 years before Peter Gabriel would write Rhythm of the Heat, Can already did an instrumental version of it. Call it very dark world music. There's really no end to the imaginative power of this band. The closing Flow Motion is an extended spacey guitar solo on a hypnotizing reggae rhythm. Chill man!

With 28 minutes of enjoyable music of which 20 minutes are excellent, 3 stars are deserved.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255271) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by snobb
3 stars Kraut-reggae by Can? Unusual turn, I can say.

Possibly, to change the direction wasn't a bad idea, the year was 1976, and new generation with their own music was coming. Reggae, ska and Funk all aren't bad ideas themselves whenever their smell was all around on the streets. But - the recipe of this brew is under the question.

Can took unusual (for their previous kraut-rock) components, but unhappily main accent was made on their relaxed/pop side, not on psyche or punkish. As a result "Flow Motion" is quite sunny and funny album, with almost danceable rhythms. Not boring ( and quite successful commercially), but not too much inspired.

Album's music is pleasant listening, possibly without strong classic Can signature. And I believe many Can fans will research such their move with some interest. But - far not on the level of their earlier classic albums. Beginning of the end?

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#290177) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Honestly, a lightweight, dance-pop-oriented album like this is probably the best that could have been hoped for from the band at this point. The band isn't on the cutting edge at all anymore, the rhythm section is MIGHTY no more (though it still sounds okay, doing what it needs to for these grooves), and there are no brilliant pop hooks waiting around to aid the band's move in a poppier direction. You know what, though? It may aim relatively low by Classic Can standards, but it mostly manages to bullseye those lowered expectations, and at the least it has no misguided efforts on the level of "Unfinished" (or, to a less severe extent, "Chain Reaction").

Seven tracks, not a total duffer among them. There are a lot of reggae influences on here, especially in the closing ten-minute title track and in the wonderful (and wonderfully titled) "Laugh Till You Cry, Live Till You Die." "I Want More" (and it's reprise, "... And More") makes good use of the Bo Diddley beat and crosses it with an amusing little synth puttering, creating a song that actually got Can a top-30 single. There's more pop, some atmosphere, and just a whole lot of relatively simplistic song rhythms with Karoli and Schmidt performing a bunch of moderately amusing parlor tricks. That's not an insult, so you know; the songs on this album hardly add much of historical significance to the Can legacy, but it definitely works as cheerful background for my commute, and that works for me.

In short, this isn't an album that can receive a long review, but that's more a function of being samey and not extremely memorable in terms of individual songs. It works just fine as an album, and could have been an effective swan-song had the band not gotten greedy and thought it could pull off a more "serious" approach again ...

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#364752) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 26, 2010

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Flow Motion" is the 8th full-length studio album by German krautrock act Can. The album was released through Harvest/Virgin Records in October 1976. The opening track "I Want More" was released as a single and became a hit in the UK.

The music on the album is the unmistakable sound of Can. Repetitive rythm figures and melodies and a jamming and generally adventurous approach to playing music. Itīs mostly instrumental but several of the tracks feature minimalistic type vocal lines delivered in a sedated sounding vocal style. While the basis in the music is the same as when the band started out, the bandīs music has become more accessible over the years and that trend continues on "Flow Motion". Tracks like "I Want More" and "Babylonian Pearl" both have "hit" potential to my ears and are among the bandīs most simple and accessible material. That doesnīt mean that "Flow Motion" isnīt an experimental rock album though. The band have opted to include quite a few musical influences in the music in their never ending quest for trying out new things. This time around off beat reggae rythms are a dominant part of the albumīs sound. When they mix that influence with a country music sounding violin in "Laugh Until You Cry", thatīs when things really take off into space.

The album features a pleasant sounding organic sound production that suits the music well, and paired with the excellent musicianship and the at times interesting songwriting, "Flow Motion" is a relatively good quality release. Itīs not an album that blows my socks off, but itīs an enjoyable listening experience and a 3 - 3.5 star (65%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#948130) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 23, 2013

3 stars FLOW MOTION! Second great fall of quality in CAN discography. First would be LANDED, IMHO. This album is second in one more category: The WORST CAN ALBUM. Gold medal for RITE TIME in that category. As of sound, it's pretty modern and empty. I can compare this album with late CAN albums and w ... (read more)

Report this review (#281528) | Posted by alionida | Wednesday, May 12, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars CAN made it onto Top of the Pops with "I want more". I still remember the shock of it! But I really do want less of that track, much less. And much of the rest of the album is of passing iterest only. Yes folks, this is where the wheels came off the wagon. ... (read more)

Report this review (#35303) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is 4 star must have in any krautrock collection.Standout tracks Flow Motion and Laugh till you cry - live till you die, are two of the best Can tracks ever, for sheer groove appeal they're amongst the krautrock greats with funky bass, sparce jazzy rhythms, spacey keyboards and wond ... (read more)

Report this review (#23298) | Posted by | Tuesday, March 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Flow Motion"