FLOW MOTION

Buy CAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1976

1. I Want more (3:29)
2. Cascade Waltz (5:35)
3. Laugh until you Cry (6:43)
4. ...And More (2:43)
5. Babylonian Pearl (3:29)
6. Smoke EFS No. 59 (5:15)
7. Flow Motion (10:23)

Search CAN Flow Motion lyrics

Search CAN Flow Motion tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitars, slide guitar & electric violin (No 2), Baglama (No 3), background noise (No 6), lead vocal on 2 & 3, back vocal on 1,4,7
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards, Alpha 77, lead vocal on 5, back vocals on 1,4
- Holger Czukay / bass, Djin (No 6), back vocal on 1,4,6
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums, percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Flow Motion Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute U.S. 2008
Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Mute 2014
Vinyl$20.98
BETTY EVERETT: My Baby Loving My Best Friend / I Can't Say (soul vinyl 45) US $30.00 Buy It Now 29m 48s
LOS LOBOS - TIN CAN TRUST (180GM) NEW VINYL US $44.06 Buy It Now 30m 50s
Tabby Thomas Maison De Soul 1029 I can't Hold Out and Bad Luck and Trouble US $5.00 Buy It Now 30m 58s
Soul 45 GARLAND GREEN You Can't Get Away That Easy on Cotillion 4 US $5.00 Buy It Now 31m 40s
ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCH, Can't Get It Out Of My Head + 3 45rpm EP US $15.00 Buy It Now 31m 49s
England Dan & John Ford Coley - You Can't Dance / Wanting You 45 1978 VG+ US $1.49 Buy It Now 32m 40s
Mack vibe-I can't let you go-1994 cd single US $6.62 Buy It Now 33m 37s
Can't Take Me Home by P!nk (CD, Apr-2000, LaFace) Pink US $4.77 Buy It Now 33m 50s
Atlas Sound - Let The Blind Lead Those Who Can (NEW CD) US $16.98 Buy It Now 34m 8s
ENGLAND DAN & JOHN FORD COLEY 45 RPM "You Can Dance" VG+ condition US $2.99 Buy It Now 34m 32s
Natural Four Can This Be Real / Try Love Again Curtom CR 1990 Leroy Hutson US $5.99 Buy It Now 36m 14s
Gladys Knight & Pips - I've Got To Use My Imagination / I Can See ... BDA 393 US $5.99 Buy It Now 36m 14s
"I CAN" Ben Sweetland VINYL LP RECORD US $4.98 Buy It Now 37m 2s
Jimmy Smith "Any Number Can Win" US $42.99 Buy It Now 37m 8s
Sweet Soul Crossover 45 DEPTHS OF LOVE i just can't find a love SAGE Listen US $78.77 [11 bids]
37m 9s
ELVIS PRESLEY I Just Can't Help Believin' - 1971 UK solid centre label 7" vinyl US $13.25 Buy It Now 37m 14s
FRANKIE VALLI & THE FOUR SEASONS YOU'RE A SONG ( THAT I CAN'T SING)-TAMLA US $10.23 [9 bids]
38m 2s
THE CLUSTERS ( PARDON MY HEART / DARLING CAN'T YOU TELL ) 1958 DOO-WOP 45 RARE US $99.99 [0 bids]
39m 1s
Chartbusters Breakin' My Heart Can't You Hear Me Callin' Mutual 511 Garage 45 US $7.99 Buy It Now 39m 1s
Creative Source - Migration / I Just Can't See Myself Without You - Sussex SR632 US $5.99 Buy It Now 39m 21s
Sarah Vaughan Waltzing Down The Aisle/How Important Can It Be 45 RPM US $7.00 Buy It Now 39m 21s
Feeder Can't Dance To Disco promo single CD Echo 1998 Limited Edition LE US $14.25 [0 bids]
40m 31s
VAGRANTS:(w/Leslie West Mountain)I Can't Make A Friend-U.K. 7" 66 Fontana TF 703 US $174.98 Buy It Now 40m 34s
Shepherd Moons - Enya (CD91) Caribbean Blue, How Can I Can Keep Singing, Ebudae US $1.99 Buy It Now 42m 24s
TAKERS: I Can Say No More 2:40-Wondur(Instrumental)2:20-U.S. 7" Tak- Tics DR US $348.98 Buy It Now 42m 47s
Fleetwood Mac Warner Bros 45 Record 29848 VG+ 1982 Can't Go Back / Love In Store US $4.00 Buy It Now 43m 5s
1984 Earl Thomas Conley You Can't Go On Like A Rolling Stone PB-13702 45 rpm NM- US $5.02 Buy It Now 43m 54s
BLUE RODEO Can't Help Wondering Why RARE PROMO RADIO DJ CD Single 2005 US $24.99 Buy It Now 44m 1s
Can - Doko E - New US $18.00 Buy It Now 44m 8s
JUDY BOUCHER 7" VINYL CAN'T BE WITH YOU TONIGHT OR-7-21 PAPER LABEL 1986 EX US $6.38 Buy It Now 44m 10s
ELTON JOHN - If The River Can Bend (UK 4 Trk CD Single Pt 2) US $5.46 Buy It Now 44m 36s
Billy Talent: 666 Live [Digipak] (CD, WARNER CAN) US $9.95 [0 bids]
46m 22s
Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? by The Cranberries (CD 1993 Island) US $1.99 [0 bids]
46m 48s
Northern Soul 45 WILLIE HUTCH i can't get enough MODERN Listen US $6.99 [1 bids]
47m 20s
FARLEY JACKMASTER FUNK / HOUSE MASTER BOYS - Love Can't Turn Around - HOUSE 12" US $11.99 Buy It Now 47m 24s
U CAN UNLEARN GUITAR No Strings CD experimental noise/psych Cock ESP improv NEW US $5.00 Buy It Now 48m 45s
45 RPM Inergi D J Copy promotional record Mary K Miller I Can't Stop Loving You US $2.00 [0 bids]
49m 41s
NICKI PARROTT-BLACK COFFEE / CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU-JAPAN 2 CD E00 zd US $23.99 Buy It Now 49m 45s
JOHNNY ADAMS I Can't Be All Bad / In A Moment Of SSS INTERNATIONAL 780 SOUL 45 US $1.99 Buy It Now 49m 52s
lp don henley i can't stand still EAGLES jd souther asylum 60048 LYRICS SLEEVE US $7.79 Buy It Now 50m 10s
THE EASYBEATS St. Louis / Can't Find Love ROCK 45 RPM RECORD US $8.00 Buy It Now 50m 34s
ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA - HOOKED ON A CAN CAN - 7" VINYL 1981 RCA RECORDS US $9.10 Buy It Now 51m 20s
STATUS QUO-THE WANDERER /CAN'T BE DONE-UK 7" PS 1984-EX US $2.64 Buy It Now 51m 53s
DAN HARTMAN - I Can Dream About You ~ VINYL LP US $10.43 Buy It Now 52m 24s
NOS GEORGE JONES & JOHNNY PAYCHECK ..... YOU CAN HAVE US $5.00 Buy It Now 52m 46s
Survivor - I Can't Hold Back / I See You In Everyone 7" 45 PS Scotti Brothers US $4.99 [0 bids]
52m 49s
Karen Kamon - Loverboy / You Can Do Better Than That 7" 45 PS Columbia Records US $4.99 [0 bids]
52m 49s
Orsa Lia: I can't hold on short & long 7" 45rpm vinyl record 5c US $3.00 Buy It Now 53m 47s
SUN 382 JERRY LEE LEWIS Good Golly Miss Molly/ I Can't Trust Me Anymore Mint- US $19.99 Buy It Now 55m 20s
LYNN WHITE: Anyway The Wind Blow / If You Can't Come Home For Christmas 45 Soul US $8.00 Buy It Now 56m 29s
Heaven & Earth I Can't Seem to Forget You / Promises 1975 45rpm US $12.99 Buy It Now 56m 47s
Stryper Can't Stop the Rock: The Stryper Collection 1984-1991 (CD, Hollywood) US $5.00 [0 bids]
57m 2s
CHICK WILLIS 45 The Way You're Stooping Down Baby-I Can Deal With That - NM US $5.00 Buy It Now 58m 28s
Kentucky Rockabilly 45 Ralph Bowman Can't Love Nobody But You Royaal hear US $14.14 [2 bids]
58m 44s
FIRSTLOVE-I Just Can't Get Enough-GERMANY-Hip Hop/R&B US $8.49 Buy It Now 59m 50s
LAURA LEE 45 I'll Catch You When You Fall / I Can't Hold On Much Longer - NM US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h
DANNY RAY - I Can't Get Used To Losing You 7' 1976 EX Listen US $6.63 [0 bids]
1h
NORWOOD I Can't Let You Go 12" Single MCA-23686 VG+ vinyl album US $5.09 Buy It Now 1h
THE CHOSEN FEW can't take no chances MAPLE rare NORTHERN 45 funk LISTEN! US $19.99 [0 bids]
LOU RAWLS 45 I CAN'T MAKE IT ALONE Goffin-King / MAKE THE WORLD GO~VG++ to M-r+b US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
DARTS . DADDY COOL / THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT . 1977 . Massive U.K. ROCK N ROLL US $11.59 [0 bids]
LEO SAYER, "Long Tall Glasses (I Can Dance)" B/W "In My Life" US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
EDWARD R MURROW 1933-1945 "I CAN HEAR IT NOW" VINYL 33 RPM ALBUM 1948 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
RALPH CARMICHAEL I'm Here, God's Here, Now We Can LP Light LS-5624 VG+ SHRINK US $12.74 Buy It Now 1h 5m
78 1920s Ray Miller "Who Tied the Can On the Old Dog's Tail?""Stumbling" A3611 US $7.36 Buy It Now 1h 5m
FOREIGNER**CAN'T SLOW DOWN**2VINYL US $29.91 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Ivory Joe Hunter: You Can't Stop This Rocking And Rolling 78 - Atlantic 1111 US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Gino Vannelli 45 The Surest Things Can Change/I Just Wanna Stop A US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Taylor Dayne 45 Let's Spend The Night Together/Can't Get Enough Of Your Love1993 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Victoria de los Angeles - Chants d'Auvergne [Songs of the Auvergne]: Joseph Can US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
I Know a Man Who Can, Accompaniment CD US $12.29 Buy It Now 1h 6m
I Can Only Imagine, Accompaniment CD US $12.29 Buy It Now 1h 6m
KLOUD 9 ENJOY THE RIDE Soul MUSIC Album CD Cloud9 CAN'T BE LOVE Cloud INCOGNITO! US $17.95 [0 bids]
You Can't Stop the Bum Rush - Good US $2.48 Buy It Now 1h 7m
New Orleans Rockabilly 45 Johnny Rebb My Body Can't Take It Flame hear US $9.99 [0 bids]
James Brown - I CAN'T STAND MYSELF WHEN YOU TOUCH ME - US Godfather of Soul LP US $199.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Dionne Warwick "Friends Can Be Lovers" 1993 CD Album 10 Track Soul USA Release US $2.74 [0 bids]
ERIC QUINCY TATE Live Ltd. Edition You Can't Keep a Good Band Down '77 EX  US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Billie Holiday 78 Record If I Were You /Forget If You Can VG US $9.99 [0 bids]
PETER WOLF "CAN'T GET STARTED" 45 PS US $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Cowboy Copas Starday 45 Record #501 VG+ I Can / Alabam US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Country 45 George Jones And Johnny Paycheck - Along Came Jones / You Can Have He US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 11m
1 CENT CD You Can Dance - Madonna SEALED US $0.69 [2 bids]
Brook Benton"Woman Without Love/Nothing Can Take"45 EP US $5.50 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Country 45 Willie Nelson - I Can'T Begin To Tell You / Without A Song On Columbi US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Parker McGee - I Just Can't Say No To You - Promo - 45 RPM US $0.99 [0 bids]
CAN, I WANT MORE/MORE-Virgin VS 153-UK 7" 1976-Excellent US $5.29 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Jimmy & Louise Tig "Who Can I Turn To" b/w "A Love That Never Grows Cold" 45rpm US $2.00 [0 bids]
4 x 12" kate bush - picture discs / on stage japan issue / never for ever - can US $43.09 [0 bids]
THE BATS HOW POP CAN YOU GET LP JON BRION VG++ US $50.00 [0 bids]
LEE MORRIS: I Can't Believe You're Lovin' Me / Instrumental 45 Soul US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 14m
DA MOOK SQUAD - CAN YOU FEEL IT - BRITISH 12" VINYL US $4.98 Buy It Now 1h 14m
GREY & HANKS ~ Dancin / How Can You Live Without Love ~ 12" Single USA PRESS US $9.93 Buy It Now 1h 14m
1 CENT CD Can't Take a Hint - Harry Shearer SEALED US $0.28 [2 bids]
GETO BOYS We Can't Be Stopped 2x LP NEW VINYL reissue clear wax bonus tracks Sc US $27.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
DON'T BOTHER ME, I CAN'T COPE ORIGINAL BRODWAY CAST OST LP PD 6013 US $5.23 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Can't Fight Fate by Taylor Dayne CD 1989 Arista Records US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Roger Daltery - Can't Wait to See The Movie - 1987 - Vinyl LP - Atlantic US $8.29 [0 bids]
SURVIVOR(I CAN'T HOLD BACK,7 INCH) US $0.02 [0 bids]
Rockabilly; Royce Porter; A Woman Can Make You Blue on SPADE rare reissue US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Flow Motion ratings distribution

CAN Flow Motion reviews

Review by corbet
3 stars Landed, the album before this one, contains some of CAN's best work ("Vernal Equinox" and "Unfinished", to name a few). So when people tell you that CAN fell off their creative horse after Soon Over Babaluma, don't believe them -- that, in fact, began to happen on THIS album, sadly enough. Despite the popular notion that it was the introduction of true multi-track recording that destroyed their muse (albums before Landed were recorded on two 2-track machines), I think it has a lot more to do with the band's yearning for even a dribble of commercial recognition. What were they thinking? CAN couldn't write a "normal" pop tune if their lives depended on it. That said, this album is still enjoyable, and is a shining masterpiece compared to what would rear its head later (oh god...). Anyway, the first obvious thing that hits you is the virtual disappearance of one of the greatest drummers ever, Jaki Liebezeit. He's still here, by the way, he just plays as if he got hit over the head with a big bag of bricks and woke up to find himself a lazy, run-of-the-mill disco drummer. His drumming was always the skeletal core of CAN's music, so now that he's in "dumb mode," 80% of the magic is gone missing. Still, the music they pull off here (mostly their misguided attempts at "disco rock" and "reggae pop") is far from offensive: Michael Karoli is still in his prime on guitar, and I like a lot of the washy keyboard sounds. And, the 10 minute title track which concludes the album is actually perfect in spite of the sparse drums: it is a big, spacious groover -- like Jimi Hendrix on a rainy day -- with masterful guitar soloing and big swipes of colorful keyboard which add up to some truly sublime music. If the whole album were in the vein of "Flow Motion," it would be one of my favorites, no problem. Overall, established fans craving more CAN goodness will probably find something to like here, but the band's golden era is clearly behind them.

Send comments to corbet (BETA) | Report this review (#23295) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Review by philippe
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Content Development & Krautrock Team
3 stars For me this album is the best from the post "Landed" era. Globally, "Flow motion" is less experimental & noisy than the previous ones. The mood tend to be more melodic with a stress on rythmical sections which reveals cool funky & reggae influences. But be careful this one is a more mainstream work.

Send comments to philippe (BETA) | Report this review (#23296) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars CAN was always a hard group to pin down, in part because they made a career out of re-inventing themselves from album to album (and just as often from track to track). But at its lowest common denominator their music tended to fall into alternating dark and light phases, and this 1976 effort was one of the band's brightest: 38 minutes of pure musical sunshine.

It's easily the best and most varied of their later, Virgin-era recordings. And while the music is a long way from the brainwave grooves and iconoclastic Krautrock energy of albums like "Tago Mago" and "Ege Banyasi", it still hails from roughly the same cultural neighborhood, with a similar mix of eclectic influences, as always the only constant in the kaleidoscopic CAN soundstage.

Call it Krautpop if you want, and then watch fans of their earlier, harder-edged masterpieces turn purple after hearing the ersatz disco beat of "I Want More", the album opener here, and an obvious (some would say almost heretical) bid for a wider slice of the Top-40 pie. (The same sessions furnished an even more unlikely follow-up single: an up-tempo, dance floor cover of, believe it or not, the old Yuletide carol "Silent Night".)

All right, so this particular re-invention won't rattle your headphones like "Tago Mago". And a few of the songs are so routine (for this quartet of innovators, anyway) that it's hard to recall them in any detail five minutes later. I've been listening to the album for years, and still can't remember the melody of "Babylonian Pearl".

But even so far removed from the controlled chaos of their Krautrock roots, CAN was still capable of the unexpected gesture, like Irmin Schmidt's sudden squelches of noise during the otherwise unremarkable pastiche of "Cascade Waltz". Or the urgent industrial/tribal percussion of "Smoke", a throwback to an older, more dangerous incarnation of the band, and the latest in their ingoing "Ethnological Forgery Series" of sonic experiments: E.F.S. No. 59, to be precise, but the first to be featured outside the raw basement tapes of the "Unlimited Edition" album, released at around the same time.

Every CAN recording has it's own unique signature sound, and here it belongs to guitarist Michael Karoli. On the aforementioned "Smoke" he's credited with "background noise", but elsewhere on the album the sheer diversity of his talent is front and center in the mix, ranging from the fuzzy staccato of "I Want More" (a full decade before The Smiths borrowed the same technique for their popular "How Soon is Now?") to his trademark bagpipe-like sustains, and even including an enthusiastically strummed baglama (a miniature, three-string bouzouki) on the mock-reggae vamp "Laugh Till You Cry, Live Till You Die".

He even provided the cover photo, admittedly not the best album artwork in the CAN discography, but another small reminder of how completely self-reliant this group was, in both music making and packaging.

And then there's the 10+ minute title track: a long, hypnotic jam over a slow but urgent three-note ganja bass riff by Holger Czukay, always a sucker for that dubby rastakraut sound. Karoli offers something close to a guitar clinic here, with thrilling sheets of processed noise giving way to the sort of relaxed fretwork familiar to any Deadhead, and finally indulging in some crunchy Superfly wah-wah pedal abuse.

It's a cool ending to an otherwise warm and engaging album. Doctrinaire Krautrock heads might turn their nose up at it, but CAN, as always, has the perfect riposte, sung (of course) by Michael Karoli in the song "Laugh Till You Cry" and pretty much summing up the entire album:

There's method to my madness...

Maybe you don't see it,

But if I want to be a fool

Why don't you let me be it?

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#43382) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005

Review by Seyo
3 stars True - this album is a far cry from CAN's trademark experimental albums, but in a twisted way it is very attractive listen. Only "...And More" and "Babylonian Pearl" are clear throwaways - the rest is still interesting music, which although a bit closer to "conventional" rock (or even pop) songs still retains quality. If nothing, this album features a genuine multi-instrumental talent of Michael Karoli who shines brightly, be it with electric guitar solos and processed effects or with violin and Turkish baglama strings. He also shares lead vocals with Schmidt. Disco-like beat of CAN's ever only hit single "I Want More" is a catchy pop tune a la NEW ORDER of the 1980s (another reviewer cleverly pointed out at the opening guitar riff as a precursor to THE SMITHS' "How Soon Is Now" of 1984!), while strong reggae influences hold up to "Cascade Waltz", "Laugh Till You Cry" and the hypnotic title track (with some unearthly Karoli's guitar playing). This album is very interesting to explore, although it is far from being essential or important in the band's catalogue. 3,5 stars actually!

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59258) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 05, 2005

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars Okay everyone, stay behind the line. Nothing to hear, see?

Can appears to be completely out of ideas on this one, and resorsts to creating an album of simple, uninteresting pop songs. Okay, not totally uninteresting, there are some fair guitar solos from time to time, and a couple of songs are broken up by some Can-like sound effects, but generally uninteresting.

What you get here is some proto-disco, reggae, one surf waltz tune, a little electronica, and all completely forgettable. What's missing are the great rhythms and playful explorations of the earlier Can albums. I don't know if they were going for radio airplay and accessabilty or what, but this album misses the mark.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221682) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Flow Motion is an uneven but good Can album. It continued the softer sound of Landed and showed some experimentalism into funkier and world music territories.

The opening I Want More is a fun pop song, very similar to what Kraftwerk would be doing soon after. Of course Can uses acoustic drums and a great delayed guitar effect, but the feel is very similar to Kraftwerk and the 80's synth pop that it spawned. Cascade Waltz is - you can guess it ? a waltz, nothing remarkable but nevertheless good. Laugh Till is a reggae song and together with Babylon Pearl it's the weakest track on the album. Not because it's reggae but simply because both are really uninspired song. Smoke is essential though. 6 years before Peter Gabriel would write Rhythm of the Heat, Can already did an instrumental version of it. Call it very dark world music. There's really no end to the imaginative power of this band. The closing Flow Motion is an extended spacey guitar solo on a hypnotizing reggae rhythm. Chill man!

With 28 minutes of enjoyable music of which 20 minutes are excellent, 3 stars are deserved.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255271) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by snobb
3 stars Kraut-reggae by Can? Unusual turn, I can say.

Possibly, to change the direction wasn't a bad idea, the year was 1976, and new generation with their own music was coming. Reggae, ska and Funk all aren't bad ideas themselves whenever their smell was all around on the streets. But - the recipe of this brew is under the question.

Can took unusual (for their previous kraut-rock) components, but unhappily main accent was made on their relaxed/pop side, not on psyche or punkish. As a result "Flow Motion" is quite sunny and funny album, with almost danceable rhythms. Not boring ( and quite successful commercially), but not too much inspired.

Album's music is pleasant listening, possibly without strong classic Can signature. And I believe many Can fans will research such their move with some interest. But - far not on the level of their earlier classic albums. Beginning of the end?

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#290177) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Honestly, a lightweight, dance-pop-oriented album like this is probably the best that could have been hoped for from the band at this point. The band isn't on the cutting edge at all anymore, the rhythm section is MIGHTY no more (though it still sounds okay, doing what it needs to for these grooves), and there are no brilliant pop hooks waiting around to aid the band's move in a poppier direction. You know what, though? It may aim relatively low by Classic Can standards, but it mostly manages to bullseye those lowered expectations, and at the least it has no misguided efforts on the level of "Unfinished" (or, to a less severe extent, "Chain Reaction").

Seven tracks, not a total duffer among them. There are a lot of reggae influences on here, especially in the closing ten-minute title track and in the wonderful (and wonderfully titled) "Laugh Till You Cry, Live Till You Die." "I Want More" (and it's reprise, "... And More") makes good use of the Bo Diddley beat and crosses it with an amusing little synth puttering, creating a song that actually got Can a top-30 single. There's more pop, some atmosphere, and just a whole lot of relatively simplistic song rhythms with Karoli and Schmidt performing a bunch of moderately amusing parlor tricks. That's not an insult, so you know; the songs on this album hardly add much of historical significance to the Can legacy, but it definitely works as cheerful background for my commute, and that works for me.

In short, this isn't an album that can receive a long review, but that's more a function of being samey and not extremely memorable in terms of individual songs. It works just fine as an album, and could have been an effective swan-song had the band not gotten greedy and thought it could pull off a more "serious" approach again ...

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#364752) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 26, 2010

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Flow Motion" is the 8th full-length studio album by German krautrock act Can. The album was released through Harvest/Virgin Records in October 1976. The opening track "I Want More" was released as a single and became a hit in the UK.

The music on the album is the unmistakable sound of Can. Repetitive rythm figures and melodies and a jamming and generally adventurous approach to playing music. Itīs mostly instrumental but several of the tracks feature minimalistic type vocal lines delivered in a sedated sounding vocal style. While the basis in the music is the same as when the band started out, the bandīs music has become more accessible over the years and that trend continues on "Flow Motion". Tracks like "I Want More" and "Babylonian Pearl" both have "hit" potential to my ears and are among the bandīs most simple and accessible material. That doesnīt mean that "Flow Motion" isnīt an experimental rock album though. The band have opted to include quite a few musical influences in the music in their never ending quest for trying out new things. This time around off beat reggae rythms are a dominant part of the albumīs sound. When they mix that influence with a country music sounding violin in "Laugh Until You Cry", thatīs when things really take off into space.

The album features a pleasant sounding organic sound production that suits the music well, and paired with the excellent musicianship and the at times interesting songwriting, "Flow Motion" is a relatively good quality release. Itīs not an album that blows my socks off, but itīs an enjoyable listening experience and a 3 - 3.5 star (65%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#948130) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 23, 2013

3 stars FLOW MOTION! Second great fall of quality in CAN discography. First would be LANDED, IMHO. This album is second in one more category: The WORST CAN ALBUM. Gold medal for RITE TIME in that category. As of sound, it's pretty modern and empty. I can compare this album with late CAN albums and w ... (read more)

Report this review (#281528) | Posted by alionida | Wednesday, May 12, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars CAN made it onto Top of the Pops with "I want more". I still remember the shock of it! But I really do want less of that track, much less. And much of the rest of the album is of passing iterest only. Yes folks, this is where the wheels came off the wagon. ... (read more)

Report this review (#35303) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is 4 star must have in any krautrock collection.Standout tracks Flow Motion and Laugh till you cry - live till you die, are two of the best Can tracks ever, for sheer groove appeal they're amongst the krautrock greats with funky bass, sparce jazzy rhythms, spacey keyboards and wond ... (read more)

Report this review (#23298) | Posted by | Tuesday, March 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Flow Motion"