FLOW MOTION

Buy CAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1976

1. I Want more (3:29)
2. Cascade Waltz (5:35)
3. Laugh until you Cry (6:43)
4. ...And More (2:43)
5. Babylonian Pearl (3:29)
6. Smoke EFS No. 59 (5:15)
7. Flow Motion (10:23)

Search CAN Flow Motion lyrics

Search CAN Flow Motion tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitars, slide guitar & electric violin (No 2), Baglama (No 3), background noise (No 6), lead vocal on 2 & 3, back vocal on 1,4,7
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards, Alpha 77, lead vocal on 5, back vocals on 1,4
- Holger Czukay / bass, Djin (No 6), back vocal on 1,4,6
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums, percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Flow Motion Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Imports 2014
Vinyl$24.95
Lost TapesLost Tapes
Mute 2012
MARTHA REEVES AND THE VANDELLAS dancing in the street CD 4 track b/w i can't dan US $8.53 Buy It Now 29m 42s
Can't Take Me Home by P!nk (CD, Apr-2000, LaFace) US $7.89 Buy It Now 29m 46s
REO SPEEDWAGON YOU CAN'T TUNA FISH RARE 8 TRACK TAPE TESTED LATE NITE BARGAIN! US $3.20 Buy It Now 30m 34s
All I Can Be by Collin Raye (c6) US $2.99 Buy It Now 31m 2s
45 RECORD ANNE MURRAY - LOVE SONG B/W YOU CAN'T GO BACK US $1.59 Buy It Now 31m 7s
BOBBY GOLDSBORO "CAN YOU FEEL IT" 45 RPM US $4.99 Buy It Now 31m 39s
CHARLES WRIGHT AND THE WATTS - WHAT CAN YOU BRING ME - WARNER BROS US $17.10 [0 bids]
31m 44s
C.L.S. Can You Feel It 12" Satellite Records (UK) 1998 US $13.66 Buy It Now 31m 50s
I Can Feel Desire [Single] by Bak2Bassiks CD,Mca,1995 US $8.99 Buy It Now 31m 57s
THE ROCHES: CAN WE GO HOME NOW - 1995 CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 32m 3s
DAVID FRISHBERG Can't take you Nowhere SEALED VINYL LP US $11.19 Buy It Now 32m 12s
Can I Have My Money Back? Gerry Rafferty USA vinyl LP album record BA-6031 ABC US $27.28 Buy It Now 32m 44s
I Believe I Can Fly Accompaniment CD By R Kelly US $8.49 Buy It Now 32m 45s
EMOTIONS So I Can Love You VOLT LP US $10.60 [2 bids]
32m 47s
MARY J BLIGE all that i can say CD 3 track radio edit promo pic disc in special US $8.53 Buy It Now 33m 6s
MARY J BLIGE all that i can say CD 3 track radio edit b/w beautiful (blackstar r US $8.53 Buy It Now 33m 7s
RONNIE DYSON (If You Let Me Make Love To You Then) WHY CAN'T I TOUCH YOU #30223 US $11.00 Buy It Now 33m 28s
Gospelaires of Dayton - You Can Depend On Jesus LP -Savoy- Black Gospel VG+ WLP US $6.50 [2 bids]
35m 41s
Original 1968 ANDY WILLIAMS Can't Take My Eyes Off You LP Vinyl Record ALBUM 12" US $5.34 Buy It Now 36m 33s
Dani Siciliano - Why Can't I Make You High 7" US $3.33 Buy It Now 36m 38s
ANGRY YOUNG BEES - CROSSFIRE/WATCHING THE SHARKS/CAN'T GIVE IT AWAY US $5.00 [0 bids]
36m 42s
THE CURE Why Can't I Be You UK 12" single PS 1987 ex/ex minus US $11.95 Buy It Now 37m 28s
Sanchez - Can We Talk NEW CD US $12.48 Buy It Now 37m 47s
EDUARDO NIEBLA I CAN FLY NOW RARE SEALED NO BARCODE CD - FASTPOST US $11.61 Buy It Now 37m 56s
45 RPM RECORD/* SURFACE/ CAN WE SPEND SOME TIME US $2.00 Buy It Now 38m 14s
Gwen Carter - If I Can Help Somebody LP - TCS - Modern Soul Gospel MP3 US $6.00 [1 bids]
38m 39s
MAXX you can get it CD 5 track 7 edit b/w airplay mix, club mix, trancemaster mi US $8.53 Buy It Now 39m 37s
Dovells ex 7 Stompin' Everywhere / You Can't Sit Down US $5.49 Buy It Now 39m 49s
MC LYTE i can't make a mistake CD 3 track radio edit b/w instrumental, acappella US $8.53 Buy It Now 40m 15s
Lobo How Can I Tell Her NM/Hope You're Proud Of Me Girl NM 1974 Rock 45 US $3.99 Buy It Now 41m 5s
West End Cares cd We Can Be Kind US $25.00 Buy It Now 41m 24s
LEON ASHLEY - Prayers Can't Reach Me / Flower Of Love - 1968 on ASHLEY US $2.95 Buy It Now 41m 39s
Canibus Can-I-Bus Hip Hop Cassette US $10.00 Buy It Now 41m 55s
JACKSON 5: Never Can Say Goodbye / She's Good 45 Soul US $10.00 Buy It Now 42m
WHO I Can't Explain/Bald Headed vinyl 7" ITALY Jukebox US $34.99 Buy It Now 42m 5s
MEAT LOAF rock and roll dreams come through CD 3 track digi pack b/w heaven can US $8.53 Buy It Now 42m 33s
MICHAEL JACKSON - I Just Can't Stop Loving You - Ex Con 7" Single Epic 560202 7 US $11.95 Buy It Now 42m 55s
DON HENLEY I Can't Stand Still + inner sleeve US $15.37 Buy It Now 43m 6s
MAXX - You Can Get It (UK 5 Track CD Single) US $5.97 Buy It Now 43m 47s
Michael Bolton - Can I Touch You... There? (CD Single) (1995) US $5.11 Buy It Now 43m 50s
Rainbow Can't Happen Here 7" Single - VVG US $0.86 [0 bids]
43m 56s
Willie Nelson If YOu Can Touch Her At All/Same(MONO Promo) 45 RPM RCA Records US $7.00 Buy It Now 45m 9s
COREY HART ~ CAN'T HELP FALLING ~ ORIG. SYNTH-POP 45..NM (UNPLAYED)..ON EMI..P/S US $3.00 Buy It Now 46m 2s
DEAD CAN DANCE Aion Goth Dark Wave w/ inner RECORD LP NM US $42.00 Buy It Now 46m 25s
ELVIS~SLEEVE ONLY~IF I CAN DREAM~NEAR MINT~RCA 47-9670~~POP /ROCKABILLY 45 US $14.99 Buy It Now 46m 36s
THE JEFF HEALEY BAND - HOW LONG CAN A MAN BE STRONG CS US $1.99 Buy It Now 46m 53s
2 Examples Just Can't Help Me 12" !Hype 1993 US $18.79 Buy It Now 47m 36s
Chicago 45 Chasin The Wind/Only Time Can Heal The Wounded Reprise Records US $9.99 Buy It Now 48m 2s
Micheal Bolton 45 How Can We Be Lovers/That's What Love Is All About Columbia US $9.99 Buy It Now 48m 3s
THE REAL THING Can't Get By Without You 7"-VINYL 45rpm GERMANY IMPORT rare 1986 US $4.99 [0 bids]
48m 52s
Glenn W. Turner Speaks Out "You Can Better Your Best" Record Album LP 33rpm US $39.20 Buy It Now 49m 17s
FALCONS 45 North Soul STANDING ON GUARD and I CAN`T HELP IT on BIG WHEEL (clip) US $14.99 [0 bids]
49m 18s
You Can't Hurry God [Digipak] by Reverend John Wilkins (CD, Jan-2011, Big... US $5.99 [0 bids]
49m 18s
Michael Jackson Epic 45 Record #07253 EX Baby Be Mine / I Just Can't Stop US $6.00 Buy It Now 49m 54s
DILATED PEOPLES 20/20 YOU CAN'T HIDE YOU CAN'T RUN TALIB KWELI VINYL US $9.99 [0 bids]
50m 46s
Taylor Dayne Can't Fight Fate Cassette Tape 1989 Arista Records AC-8581 Dance US $3.99 Buy It Now 50m 46s
POZO-SECO SINGERS: I Can Make It With You (folk vinyl LP) US $20.00 Buy It Now 51m 29s
MICHAEL BALL so strong CD 3 track b/w fever and how can i be so sure (6629002) u US $8.53 Buy It Now 52m 19s
MICHAEL BOLTON can i touch you there CD 2 track edited version promo in special US $8.53 Buy It Now 52m 26s
MICHAEL BOLTON can i touch you there CD 4 track edited version (6624382) austria US $8.53 Buy It Now 52m 31s
MICHAEL BOLTON how can we be lovers CD 3 track card sleeve (6559182) uk cbs 1990 US $8.53 Buy It Now 52m 37s
MICHAEL BOLTON soul provider CD 4 track b/w r&b edit,can i touch you...there cla US $8.53 Buy It Now 53m 4s
MICHAEL BOLTON soul provider CD 4 track b/w you wouldn't know love, how can we b US $8.53 Buy It Now 53m 8s
MICHAEL BOLTON steel bars CD 4 track b/w how can we be lovers,take a look at my US $8.53 Buy It Now 53m 15s
Masters At Work Featuring India I Can't Get No Sleep PROMO COPY RARE US $25.00 [0 bids]
53m 17s
IRON MAIDEN - ULTRA RARE CD - Can i Play With Madness - Dream Theater US $8.50 [3 bids]
53m 22s
Pet Shop Boys - Can You Forgive Her? - Music CD US $9.41 Buy It Now 53m 57s
THE BEATLES ON CAPITOL RECORDS - Day Tripper + We Can Work It Out 1st Edition 7" US $7.99 [0 bids]
54m 39s
KID PANIC We can do this 7 INCH & 12 INCH PROMO CD dj US $24.99 Buy It Now 55m 30s
STATUS QUO, IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT, LP 1978 UK VERTIGO EX/EX+ INNER/SL G/F US $6.82 [0 bids]
55m 47s
The Beatles - We Can Work It Out - Original UK Single - Nice Condition US $3.40 [0 bids]
55m 55s
SPIN DOCTORS-LITTLE MISS CAN'T BE WRONG CD SINGLE US $6.82 Buy It Now 56m 8s
MICKEY DRIP AND THE SAVELOYS you can't g'wrong with chips CD 2 track b/w hot fat US $8.53 Buy It Now 56m 31s
Michael Jackson Epic 45 Record #03509 VG+ Billie Jean / Can't Get Outta The US $5.00 Buy It Now 57m 7s
Electric Express m- mono / stereo 7 I Can't Believe We Did / same US $5.49 Buy It Now 57m 14s
BREATHE "HOW CAN I FALL?" 45 PS US $4.99 Buy It Now 57m 23s
IRON MAIDEN Can I Play With Madness Printed Sew On Patch Original Vintage 80`s US $6.82 [1 bids]
58m 4s
Electric Junkyard ex 7 Garbage Can Ballet / L Davis Sloane US $4.49 Buy It Now 58m 28s
NOS TRAVIS TRITT.....CAN I TRUST YOU WITH MY HEART US $5.00 Buy It Now 58m 44s
WE THE PEOPLE: If We Can Fly To The Moon / (only) One Of A Kind (soul 45) US $35.00 Buy It Now 58m 47s
Who Says You Can't Go Home [Box] by Bon Jovi (CD, Nov-2004, 4 Discs, Island (Lab US $29.99 [0 bids]
58m 59s
Hell Is for Heroes-I Can Climb Mountains CD Single, Maxi New US $14.96 Buy It Now 59m 9s
All That You Can't Leave Behind by U2 (CD, Oct-2000, Interscope (USA)) US $3.50 Buy It Now 59m 34s
Gene Pitney - Only Love Can Break A Heart mono lp 1962 US $1.50 Buy It Now 1h
Ellen Mcilwaine mint mono / stereo 7 Can't Find My Way Home / same US $5.49 Buy It Now 1h
What Faith Can Do, Accompaniment CD US $9.29 Buy It Now 1h
Leo Sayer I Can's stop Loving You Sheet Music Ex 1977 US $1.69 [1 bids]
1h
Yazz - Never Can Say Goodbye - East West - 1997 #106987 US $5.11 Buy It Now 1h
Family Foundation - Can You Dance (Part 2) #145107 US $5.11 Buy It Now 1h
Kelly Rowland - Can't Nobody - Columbia - 2003 #101156 US $5.11 Buy It Now 1h
Sonique - Can't Make Up My Mind - Serious #102501 US $5.11 Buy It Now 1h
Deep Creed 94 - Can U Feel It / Warriors Dance #110049 US $5.11 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Krunchie Feat M.R.D. - Can't Get Over You - 2001 #68572 US $5.11 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Philip Bailey - How Can I Rely On You - 1998 #99120 US $5.11 Buy It Now 1h 2m
THE CRAMPS CAN YOUR PUSSY DO THE DOG? 1985 BIG BEAT 7inch + P/S US $8.36 [6 bids]
Love Drop - You Can't Take Your Eyes Off Me #111473 US $5.11 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Squint - What Can I Do - White - 2003 #112988 US $5.11 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Antiseen 7" Fornication I Can't Control Myself Signed Scum Punk Hank III KBD US $11.99 [0 bids]
Fabolous - Can't Let You Go - Elektra - 2003 #111163 US $5.11 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Timbaland & Magoo - Can U Get Wit It (Remix) #156899 US $5.11 Buy It Now 1h 2m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Flow Motion ratings distribution

CAN Flow Motion reviews

Review by corbet
3 stars Landed, the album before this one, contains some of CAN's best work ("Vernal Equinox" and "Unfinished", to name a few). So when people tell you that CAN fell off their creative horse after Soon Over Babaluma, don't believe them -- that, in fact, began to happen on THIS album, sadly enough. Despite the popular notion that it was the introduction of true multi-track recording that destroyed their muse (albums before Landed were recorded on two 2-track machines), I think it has a lot more to do with the band's yearning for even a dribble of commercial recognition. What were they thinking? CAN couldn't write a "normal" pop tune if their lives depended on it. That said, this album is still enjoyable, and is a shining masterpiece compared to what would rear its head later (oh god...). Anyway, the first obvious thing that hits you is the virtual disappearance of one of the greatest drummers ever, Jaki Liebezeit. He's still here, by the way, he just plays as if he got hit over the head with a big bag of bricks and woke up to find himself a lazy, run-of-the-mill disco drummer. His drumming was always the skeletal core of CAN's music, so now that he's in "dumb mode," 80% of the magic is gone missing. Still, the music they pull off here (mostly their misguided attempts at "disco rock" and "reggae pop") is far from offensive: Michael Karoli is still in his prime on guitar, and I like a lot of the washy keyboard sounds. And, the 10 minute title track which concludes the album is actually perfect in spite of the sparse drums: it is a big, spacious groover -- like Jimi Hendrix on a rainy day -- with masterful guitar soloing and big swipes of colorful keyboard which add up to some truly sublime music. If the whole album were in the vein of "Flow Motion," it would be one of my favorites, no problem. Overall, established fans craving more CAN goodness will probably find something to like here, but the band's golden era is clearly behind them.

Send comments to corbet (BETA) | Report this review (#23295) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Review by philippe
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Content Development & Krautrock Team
3 stars For me this album is the best from the post "Landed" era. Globally, "Flow motion" is less experimental & noisy than the previous ones. The mood tend to be more melodic with a stress on rythmical sections which reveals cool funky & reggae influences. But be careful this one is a more mainstream work.

Send comments to philippe (BETA) | Report this review (#23296) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars CAN was always a hard group to pin down, in part because they made a career out of re-inventing themselves from album to album (and just as often from track to track). But at its lowest common denominator their music tended to fall into alternating dark and light phases, and this 1976 effort was one of the band's brightest: 38 minutes of pure musical sunshine.

It's easily the best and most varied of their later, Virgin-era recordings. And while the music is a long way from the brainwave grooves and iconoclastic Krautrock energy of albums like "Tago Mago" and "Ege Banyasi", it still hails from roughly the same cultural neighborhood, with a similar mix of eclectic influences, as always the only constant in the kaleidoscopic CAN soundstage.

Call it Krautpop if you want, and then watch fans of their earlier, harder-edged masterpieces turn purple after hearing the ersatz disco beat of "I Want More", the album opener here, and an obvious (some would say almost heretical) bid for a wider slice of the Top-40 pie. (The same sessions furnished an even more unlikely follow-up single: an up-tempo, dance floor cover of, believe it or not, the old Yuletide carol "Silent Night".)

All right, so this particular re-invention won't rattle your headphones like "Tago Mago". And a few of the songs are so routine (for this quartet of innovators, anyway) that it's hard to recall them in any detail five minutes later. I've been listening to the album for years, and still can't remember the melody of "Babylonian Pearl".

But even so far removed from the controlled chaos of their Krautrock roots, CAN was still capable of the unexpected gesture, like Irmin Schmidt's sudden squelches of noise during the otherwise unremarkable pastiche of "Cascade Waltz". Or the urgent industrial/tribal percussion of "Smoke", a throwback to an older, more dangerous incarnation of the band, and the latest in their ingoing "Ethnological Forgery Series" of sonic experiments: E.F.S. No. 59, to be precise, but the first to be featured outside the raw basement tapes of the "Unlimited Edition" album, released at around the same time.

Every CAN recording has it's own unique signature sound, and here it belongs to guitarist Michael Karoli. On the aforementioned "Smoke" he's credited with "background noise", but elsewhere on the album the sheer diversity of his talent is front and center in the mix, ranging from the fuzzy staccato of "I Want More" (a full decade before The Smiths borrowed the same technique for their popular "How Soon is Now?") to his trademark bagpipe-like sustains, and even including an enthusiastically strummed baglama (a miniature, three-string bouzouki) on the mock-reggae vamp "Laugh Till You Cry, Live Till You Die".

He even provided the cover photo, admittedly not the best album artwork in the CAN discography, but another small reminder of how completely self-reliant this group was, in both music making and packaging.

And then there's the 10+ minute title track: a long, hypnotic jam over a slow but urgent three-note ganja bass riff by Holger Czukay, always a sucker for that dubby rastakraut sound. Karoli offers something close to a guitar clinic here, with thrilling sheets of processed noise giving way to the sort of relaxed fretwork familiar to any Deadhead, and finally indulging in some crunchy Superfly wah-wah pedal abuse.

It's a cool ending to an otherwise warm and engaging album. Doctrinaire Krautrock heads might turn their nose up at it, but CAN, as always, has the perfect riposte, sung (of course) by Michael Karoli in the song "Laugh Till You Cry" and pretty much summing up the entire album:

There's method to my madness...

Maybe you don't see it,

But if I want to be a fool

Why don't you let me be it?

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#43382) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005

Review by Seyo
3 stars True - this album is a far cry from CAN's trademark experimental albums, but in a twisted way it is very attractive listen. Only "...And More" and "Babylonian Pearl" are clear throwaways - the rest is still interesting music, which although a bit closer to "conventional" rock (or even pop) songs still retains quality. If nothing, this album features a genuine multi-instrumental talent of Michael Karoli who shines brightly, be it with electric guitar solos and processed effects or with violin and Turkish baglama strings. He also shares lead vocals with Schmidt. Disco-like beat of CAN's ever only hit single "I Want More" is a catchy pop tune a la NEW ORDER of the 1980s (another reviewer cleverly pointed out at the opening guitar riff as a precursor to THE SMITHS' "How Soon Is Now" of 1984!), while strong reggae influences hold up to "Cascade Waltz", "Laugh Till You Cry" and the hypnotic title track (with some unearthly Karoli's guitar playing). This album is very interesting to explore, although it is far from being essential or important in the band's catalogue. 3,5 stars actually!

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59258) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 05, 2005

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars Okay everyone, stay behind the line. Nothing to hear, see?

Can appears to be completely out of ideas on this one, and resorsts to creating an album of simple, uninteresting pop songs. Okay, not totally uninteresting, there are some fair guitar solos from time to time, and a couple of songs are broken up by some Can-like sound effects, but generally uninteresting.

What you get here is some proto-disco, reggae, one surf waltz tune, a little electronica, and all completely forgettable. What's missing are the great rhythms and playful explorations of the earlier Can albums. I don't know if they were going for radio airplay and accessabilty or what, but this album misses the mark.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221682) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Flow Motion is an uneven but good Can album. It continued the softer sound of Landed and showed some experimentalism into funkier and world music territories.

The opening I Want More is a fun pop song, very similar to what Kraftwerk would be doing soon after. Of course Can uses acoustic drums and a great delayed guitar effect, but the feel is very similar to Kraftwerk and the 80's synth pop that it spawned. Cascade Waltz is - you can guess it ? a waltz, nothing remarkable but nevertheless good. Laugh Till is a reggae song and together with Babylon Pearl it's the weakest track on the album. Not because it's reggae but simply because both are really uninspired song. Smoke is essential though. 6 years before Peter Gabriel would write Rhythm of the Heat, Can already did an instrumental version of it. Call it very dark world music. There's really no end to the imaginative power of this band. The closing Flow Motion is an extended spacey guitar solo on a hypnotizing reggae rhythm. Chill man!

With 28 minutes of enjoyable music of which 20 minutes are excellent, 3 stars are deserved.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255271) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by snobb
3 stars Kraut-reggae by Can? Unusual turn, I can say.

Possibly, to change the direction wasn't a bad idea, the year was 1976, and new generation with their own music was coming. Reggae, ska and Funk all aren't bad ideas themselves whenever their smell was all around on the streets. But - the recipe of this brew is under the question.

Can took unusual (for their previous kraut-rock) components, but unhappily main accent was made on their relaxed/pop side, not on psyche or punkish. As a result "Flow Motion" is quite sunny and funny album, with almost danceable rhythms. Not boring ( and quite successful commercially), but not too much inspired.

Album's music is pleasant listening, possibly without strong classic Can signature. And I believe many Can fans will research such their move with some interest. But - far not on the level of their earlier classic albums. Beginning of the end?

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#290177) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Honestly, a lightweight, dance-pop-oriented album like this is probably the best that could have been hoped for from the band at this point. The band isn't on the cutting edge at all anymore, the rhythm section is MIGHTY no more (though it still sounds okay, doing what it needs to for these grooves), and there are no brilliant pop hooks waiting around to aid the band's move in a poppier direction. You know what, though? It may aim relatively low by Classic Can standards, but it mostly manages to bullseye those lowered expectations, and at the least it has no misguided efforts on the level of "Unfinished" (or, to a less severe extent, "Chain Reaction").

Seven tracks, not a total duffer among them. There are a lot of reggae influences on here, especially in the closing ten-minute title track and in the wonderful (and wonderfully titled) "Laugh Till You Cry, Live Till You Die." "I Want More" (and it's reprise, "... And More") makes good use of the Bo Diddley beat and crosses it with an amusing little synth puttering, creating a song that actually got Can a top-30 single. There's more pop, some atmosphere, and just a whole lot of relatively simplistic song rhythms with Karoli and Schmidt performing a bunch of moderately amusing parlor tricks. That's not an insult, so you know; the songs on this album hardly add much of historical significance to the Can legacy, but it definitely works as cheerful background for my commute, and that works for me.

In short, this isn't an album that can receive a long review, but that's more a function of being samey and not extremely memorable in terms of individual songs. It works just fine as an album, and could have been an effective swan-song had the band not gotten greedy and thought it could pull off a more "serious" approach again ...

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#364752) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 26, 2010

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Flow Motion" is the 8th full-length studio album by German krautrock act Can. The album was released through Harvest/Virgin Records in October 1976. The opening track "I Want More" was released as a single and became a hit in the UK.

The music on the album is the unmistakable sound of Can. Repetitive rythm figures and melodies and a jamming and generally adventurous approach to playing music. Itīs mostly instrumental but several of the tracks feature minimalistic type vocal lines delivered in a sedated sounding vocal style. While the basis in the music is the same as when the band started out, the bandīs music has become more accessible over the years and that trend continues on "Flow Motion". Tracks like "I Want More" and "Babylonian Pearl" both have "hit" potential to my ears and are among the bandīs most simple and accessible material. That doesnīt mean that "Flow Motion" isnīt an experimental rock album though. The band have opted to include quite a few musical influences in the music in their never ending quest for trying out new things. This time around off beat reggae rythms are a dominant part of the albumīs sound. When they mix that influence with a country music sounding violin in "Laugh Until You Cry", thatīs when things really take off into space.

The album features a pleasant sounding organic sound production that suits the music well, and paired with the excellent musicianship and the at times interesting songwriting, "Flow Motion" is a relatively good quality release. Itīs not an album that blows my socks off, but itīs an enjoyable listening experience and a 3 - 3.5 star (65%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#948130) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 23, 2013

3 stars FLOW MOTION! Second great fall of quality in CAN discography. First would be LANDED, IMHO. This album is second in one more category: The WORST CAN ALBUM. Gold medal for RITE TIME in that category. As of sound, it's pretty modern and empty. I can compare this album with late CAN albums and w ... (read more)

Report this review (#281528) | Posted by alionida | Wednesday, May 12, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars CAN made it onto Top of the Pops with "I want more". I still remember the shock of it! But I really do want less of that track, much less. And much of the rest of the album is of passing iterest only. Yes folks, this is where the wheels came off the wagon. ... (read more)

Report this review (#35303) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is 4 star must have in any krautrock collection.Standout tracks Flow Motion and Laugh till you cry - live till you die, are two of the best Can tracks ever, for sheer groove appeal they're amongst the krautrock greats with funky bass, sparce jazzy rhythms, spacey keyboards and wond ... (read more)

Report this review (#23298) | Posted by | Tuesday, March 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Flow Motion"