SAW DELIGHT

Good, but non-essential

Buy CAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1977

1. Don't say No (6:28)
2. Sunshine day and Night (6:02)
3. Call me (5:33)

- Jaki Liebezeit / drums, vocal on 1
- Rosko Gee / bass, vocals on 1 & 3
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion, vocal on 1

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Saw Delight Music

Monster MovieMonster Movie
Vinyl$17.49
Lost TapesLost Tapes
Mute 2012
NoFx Single of the Month #4 7" and The PMRC Can Suck On This 7 inch vinyl punk US $24.00 [0 bids]
30m 31s
JOHN KAIZAN NEPTUNE - WORDS CAN'T GO THERE NEW CD US $22.71 Buy It Now 30m 35s
DIMES - KING CAN DRINK THE HARBOUR DRY NEW CD US $17.15 Buy It Now 30m 52s
POP Billy Swan/I can help/Monument/Canada/NM- HEAR US $5.95 Buy It Now 30m 55s
Norma Jean m- promo 7 I Can't Sleep With You / It's A Long Way From Heaven US $5.49 Buy It Now 30m 55s
EAGLE EYE CHERRY - CAN'T GET ENOUGH NEW CD US $38.26 Buy It Now 31m 53s
R, KELLY I BELIEVE I CAN FLY (GRAMMY NOMINATION CD PROMO /2 VERSION) JDJ-4511-2 US $9.99 Buy It Now 31m 57s
Roy Orbison Crawling Back / If You Can't Say Something Nice 45 RPM MGM US $4.99 [0 bids]
32m
Louis Armstrong JAZZ 45 (Avco PROMO 4562) You Can Have Her/Miller's Cave VG+ US $5.95 Buy It Now 32m 56s
Twenty 4 Seven Ft Capt. Hollywood-I Can't Stand It! 12" US $10.14 Buy It Now 33m 39s
LONGSTOCKING - WILL YOU STAY?, SOMETHING ELSE I CAN NEVER CHANGE 7" 45 EP US $4.98 Buy It Now 34m 10s
Happiness Is Not a Fish That You Can Catch by Our Lady Peace (CD, Sep-1999,... US $3.25 Buy It Now 34m 20s
Toutes Les Filles - That's What Love Can Do 12" US $10.14 Buy It Now 34m 29s
Taz (6) - Can't Contain Me 12" US $10.14 Buy It Now 37m 11s
COOP D' BELLE - CAN'T GIVE UP NEW CD US $24.19 Buy It Now 37m 17s
Taylor Dayne - Can't Get Enough Of Your Love 12" US $10.14 Buy It Now 37m 54s
KRAAN: Let It Out 1975 NEMS LP *Kraut Rock/Prog/Kraftwerk/Neu/Can/Nektar/Fusion* US $19.95 Buy It Now 39m 9s
GET RAD - I CAN ALWAYS LIVE NEW CD US $18.63 Buy It Now 39m 26s
k.d. lang - All You Can Eat (1995) CD US $4.85 Buy It Now 39m 49s
45 Record THE FOUR ACES - IF YOU CAN DREAM - NM US $2.99 Buy It Now 39m 56s
CHOPSTARS - JUST CAUSE WE CAN NEW CD US $20.85 Buy It Now 40m 59s
Heavy Weather Love Can't Turn Around (Promo) 12" Pukka US $12.15 Buy It Now 41m 16s
LOS LOBOS - TIN CAN TRUST NEW CD US $21.23 Buy It Now 41m 40s
Randy Stonehill--Can't Buy A Miracle 1988 CD (First Press Orig. "Cold Rock" Mix) US $26.00 Buy It Now 41m 56s
Bill Phillips Same Old Story/You Can't Love Me 45 RPM US $7.00 Buy It Now 42m 6s
HUMMINGBIRD we can't go on meeting like this EX/VG USA SP-4595 | 14-0114-033 US $23.99 Buy It Now 43m 27s
HUMMINGBIRD we can't go on meeting like this VG/VG USA SP-4595 | 14-0117-024 US $19.99 Buy It Now 43m 38s
Russ David JAZZ 45 (Norman 516) Gaslight Shuffle/Can't We Talk It Over US $6.95 Buy It Now 44m 10s
Can't Look Away by Trevor Rabin (CD, Jul-1989, Elektra (Label))BMG DIRECT US $0.99 [0 bids]
44m 29s
AS TALL AS LIONS - YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU - BONUS TRACKS NEW VINYL US $27.62 Buy It Now 44m 43s
Edward R Murrow I CAN HEAR IT NOW 1919-49 3 lp rare US $39.99 Buy It Now 44m 54s
Belinda Carlisle [from the Go-Gos] Circle In The Sand / We Can Change 7" 45 RPM US $0.01 [0 bids]
45m 8s
rare promo cd MAURA O'CONNELL live! "BLUE CHALK / THIS TOWN CAN"T GET OVER YOU" US $7.00 Buy It Now 46m 32s
DICK TODD - YOU CAN'T BRUSH ME OFF NEW CD US $16.41 Buy It Now 46m 33s
Ray LaMontagne - Can I Stay - 2006 U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $8.98 Buy It Now 48m 15s
ANDREW JACKSON JIHAD - ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME NEW CD US $16.41 Buy It Now 48m 32s
Ted Nugent - If You Can't Lick 'Em... Lick 'Em LP US $10.95 Buy It Now 48m 49s
Patricia Cofield m- promo 7 How Can I Lose / Lonely Lovers Prayer US $5.49 Buy It Now 49m 12s
GOLD OF MY LIFE, CAN YOU FEEL THE FUNK 45 RPM NORTHERN SOUL "LIMITED EDITION" US $25.00 Buy It Now 50m 17s
Dreams Can Come True - Greatest Hits Vol 1,Artist - Gabrielle, in Good condition US $2.82 Buy It Now 51m
You Can Get Crazy By Bellamy Brothers Vinyl 1980 LP1404421 US $3.49 [0 bids]
51m 15s
You Can Call Me Blue By Michael Johnson Vinyl 1980 (SW-17035) LP1404548 US $3.79 [0 bids]
51m 15s
AM I IMPOSING, CAN YOU FEEL THE FUNK PT.2 45 RPM NORTHERN SOUL "LIMITED EDITION" US $25.00 Buy It Now 51m 24s
Tycoon - Such A Woman / How Long (Can We Go On) - 7" 45 RPM US $5.99 [0 bids]
51m 41s
Bound / I Can Do It To (Vip) - Lethal Impact 2 #413643 US $6.47 Buy It Now 51m 54s
Stereotuners - We Can Do This - Hardcopy - 2009 #406027 US $6.47 Buy It Now 52m 1s
Ellis Dee & Syrus - Can You Appreciate - 2007 #231328 US $6.47 Buy It Now 52m 2s
Noise Factory - Can U Feel It - Three Lions #388549 US $6.47 Buy It Now 52m 19s
Uakti - Can't Run But - Laposer - 2008 #347741 US $6.47 Buy It Now 52m 20s
Atlantic Connection - Can't Destroy Love (Pt2) #276378 US $6.47 Buy It Now 52m 22s
Mark Morrison "ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME" Verse 1, Chapter II Special Ed. CD w/Video US $5.95 [0 bids]
52m 43s
Lisa Gerard Pieter Bourke Dead Can Dance - Human Game -1992 U.S. PROMO cd -RARE! US $7.98 Buy It Now 54m 17s
Love Can Build a Bridge by Judds (The) (CD, Nov-1996, Curb) US $7.00 Buy It Now 57m 14s
45 LEO SAYER - More Than I Can I Say b/w Millionaire w/ WB 49565 strip US $3.49 [0 bids]
57m 34s
VINYL 45 & Picture Sleeve Four Tops - Just Seven Numbers (Can Straighten Out My US $7.99 Buy It Now 58m 7s
1972, Conway Twitty, "I Can't Stop Loving You" 'White Lightning" "Candy", MCA US $0.01 [1 bids]
58m 7s
My Crew Can't Go for That, Trigger Tha Gambler, Good Single US $42.95 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Can't Knock the Hustle (Fool's Paradise): Remix, Jay-Z, Good Single US $5.74 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Phil Booker / Squarenders 7 I Can't Give You Anything but Love / same US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
BOBBY HARRIS - WE CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'R GONE / MORE OF THE JERK - ATLANTIC 1965 45 US $11.99 [0 bids]
Miley Cyrus: Can't Be Tamed [CD & DVD] (2 Disc) small crack on case & SEALED US $4.99 [0 bids]
The Bee Gees - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart/Country Woman 7" Aust Spin US $7.22 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Voice Of Q, The - I Can't Have Him Now / Miracle 12" US $10.14 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Can future days krautrock tago mago t-shirt (longsleve & hoodie available) US $18.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Voice Of Buddha - Can You Hear The Voice Of Buddha? 12" US $10.14 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Can future days 2 krautrock tago mago t-shirt (longsleve & hoodie available) US $18.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Can't keep My Hands Off You [Single] by React (Cassette, Mar-1998, Columbia... US $4.21 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Lot of TWO 7" vinyl 45s ~ CONWAY TWITTY ~ I Can't Help It / You Make It Hard US $6.20 Buy It Now 1h 8m
45 RECORD CARL SMITH WHY DO I KEEP DOING THIS TO US CAN'T YOU FEEL SORRY FOR ME US $1.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
45 RPM RECORD/2) KENNY DALE / ONLY LOVE CAN BREAK A HEART US $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
PHILLY'S MOST WANTED Y'all Can't Never Hurt Us/What 12" Atlantic PR 300173 US $2.90 Buy It Now 1h 10m
DON'T BOTHER ME I CAN'T COPE LP RARE AFRO MUSICAL US $17.47 Buy It Now 1h 13m
SKEETER DAVIS-Mint Vinyl PROMO 45-I Can't Help It/You Taught Me Everything I Kno US $7.50 Buy It Now 1h 14m
BABYFACE - Never In My Life / I Can't Stop the Rain, MINNESOTA band, 45 NM 1975 US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Pretty Things US stock 7 Honey I Need / I Can Never Say US $21.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
TEDDY PENDERGRASS Can't We Try ((**VG 7" 45 from 1980**)) PLAYS EXCELLENT US $2.95 Buy It Now 1h 17m
AWOL ONE & FACTOR - ONLY DEATH CAN KILL YOU - 2007 CD NEW US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
NOFX - The PMRC Can Suck On This 7" BLACK Vinyl EP Fat Wreck FAT 501 PUNK ROCK US $6.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Saw Delight ratings distribution

CAN Saw Delight reviews

Review by Proghead
3 stars As many of you already know, this album marks the first truly drastic lineup changes in the band (in the past it was simply lead singers coming and going). Holger Czukay seemed to be a bit tired of the band, so now he gave up on the bass and started using short wave receivers. The band added bassist Rosco Gee and percussionist Reebop Kwaku Baah, both formerly of TRAFFIC. Often derided by many fans, I can see why.

The music, for the most part, seems to be on autopilot, often sticking to rhythm. The album starts off with "Don't Say No" which sounds like a rehash of "Moonshake" off "Future Days". Some of the rest of the album has that disco and ethnic feel to it, and that's a big reason many CAN fans are turned off by this album. "Animal Waves" is the longest piece on the album, and Irmin Schmidt uses quite a bit of string synths, giving it a somewhat spacier feel. Certainly this album is no "Tago Mago", "Ege Bamyasi", or "Future Days", but it's supposed to be nowhere as bad as "Out of Reach".

Send comments to Proghead (BETA) | Report this review (#23301) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 29, 2004

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Can hadn't been making consistent albums since Ege Bamyasi and also Saw Delight is very uneven .

I can't really see any merit in Sunshine Day And Night or Fly By Night. Both are rather uninteresting tracks and the band doesn't sound like they found the material very inspiring either. Bland performance. Don't Say No and Call Me however are a lot better and represent the more accessible side of Can, good concise tunes with gentle melodies as you may find on any of their albums. The performance has room for improvement though. Animal Waves is a good extended track, groovy and gentle, with some African percussion and interesting sound experiments. At 15 minutes it is stretched out too much.

Saw Delight is an album for Can fans, slightly less then Flow Motion and certainly not as good as Can/Inner Space. 2.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255269) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars One of the few things worse than a band sticking around past its expiration date is when it makes a major change to its lineup in order to make it possible for it to stick around in the first place. Holger Czukay effectively left the group during these sessions; he has no bass- playing credits on the album, instead leaving us only with credits for "wave receiver, spec. sounds" and vocals on the first track. In his place the band brought in former Traffic bassist Rosko Gee, and while he certainly sounds competent, the fact remains that Can was, essentially, Holger's band, which means that the impact of this swap doesn't just manifest itself in the basslines alone. There's a serious dearth of spark in these tracks, which turns Can from a band I'm interested in listening to into one of thousands of jam- based bands.

Another lineup change occurred in making this album, one which could have been intriguing but instead is executed as badly as it probably could have been. Another former Traffic member, with the great name of Reebop Kwaku Baah, came in as, no joke, a second percussionist. Reebop was big on "ethnic" sounds and rhythms, and in theory this should have made him a perfect addition to the band and a good foil for Jaki. Unfortunately, instead of bringing out the best in Jaki, Reebop ends up completely overshadowing him, as Jaki spends most of the album in a straightup timekeeping mode (and mixed down, no less), and isn't even able to do that in a manner close to his Human Drum Machine past. In short, then, the net result of these moves is essentially that the band traded its vaunted rhythm section for part of the rhythm section of Traffic, a move I'd rate somewhere along the lines of trading a Mickey Mantle rookie card for a picture of Homer Simpson sleeping on the couch in his underwear.

When all is said and done, the low rating comes not from the lineup changes themselves, but the fact that this album basically bores the crap out of me. The opening "Don't Say No" seems to have some bouncy, rhythmic promise at the beginning, but the essence of it is very similar to "Moonshake" from Future Days, and this track does a good job of showing that it was a good idea to make its predecessor three minutes instead of almost six-and-a-half. The lyrics are unacceptably inane, the Reebop scat-singing throughout annoys the crap out of me, and not even Karoli's guitar tricks (he seems to be the only person interested in stepping up and doing anything over this endlessly tedious groove) saves things.

"Sunshine Day and Night," which follows it, is dancable, but unlike the various tracks on Flow Motion, it lacks strong enough gimmicks from Karoli and Schmidt to let me focus on something other than, "Wow, this song is almost completely empty." "Call Me" is a vague jumble of a four-note bassline repeated ad infinitum, some "atmospheric" keyboard sounds, little effective guitar, and Rosko demonstrating a horrible singing voice while tackling a rambling, totally forgettable vocal melody. And the biggie of the album, the fifteen minute "Animal Waves," does at least have a nice keyboard pattern to loop forever instead of an ugly keyboard pattern to loop forever, but seeing as everything on top of it is essentially listening to Can autopilot as they've never autopiloted before, you're not going to see me get excited. And finally, they close with a vaguely okay pop ballad thats completely unlike everything else on the album, but while I don't mind hearing it here, it's definitely not a song I'm ever going to seek out to hear ever again.

So basically, Can left me with something that I get almost no enjoyment out of, which means a low grade is certain. On the other hand, listening to it doesn't leave me with an overpowering urge to stab my ears out with a knife, unlike albums that have gotten a 1-star rating from me, so ' stars seems right.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#369788) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 01, 2011

Review by Tom Ozric
4 stars Looks like not many folks saw delight (ha ha) in this incarnation and direction of Kraut revolutionaries CAN. For starters, ex-TRAFFIC members Rosko Gee (bass) and Reebop Kwaku Baah (percussion) were brought into the line-up and original bassist and visionary Holger Czukay's role was relegated to 'Wave Receiver' and minor vocal contributions. Live footage of the band from this period shows Czukay to the side of the stage with a table full of short-wave radios and microphones from where he manipulated the receptions and incorporated them randomly into the music. This is definately a wildly different approach to their art, but it holds originality, even though the music itself is no longer a lurching beast full of surprises and unpredictability. There is an immediate change in sound here and I've found it somewhat fascinating. Sure it's no Tago Mago, but it's 1977, quite a lot of ch-ch-changes happening within the music world, and it has been reputed that BOWIE enjoyed this era of Can a lot. Even Ed Wynne (OZRIC TENTACLES) has revealed a love of this release. Now the music on offer here is more upbeat and accessible, almost an Afro-Caribbean flavour at times, courtesy of Reebop's busy percussive work. Most tunes are jam-based, except for the last song 'Fly By Night', a laid-back 4 min ditty with vocals from Michael Karoli and tasteful keyboarding. The best piece is side two's 15 minute + jam/improvised track 'Animal Waves'. Keyboardist Irmin Schmidt spends a lot of time on his Alpha 77 Synth here, creating an almost KLAUS SCHULZE-like atmosphere utilising unusual chords along the way, with some eastern sounding violin lines from Karoli, who switches to his trademark guitar soloing half-way through, which is always a treat to hear. And I've never heard any other guitarist like him. Jaki Liebezeit's impact on the rhythmic side of things is no longer as monstrous as previously, but listening to this, it's not hard to see why he is known as a 'human drum machine'. Reebop's percussion playing a large part in the sound too. Gee supports all this with some highly inspired, great sounding bass guitaring. Holger's 'wave receiving' can be noticed as weirdo gibberish sounds in the background, never-the-less adding a strange air to the song. Repetitive maybe, but it's bright and lively, like the attractive Yantra on the back cover of the LP (or centre of the saw blade). The remaining tracks are all very good with special mention to 'Call Me'. 4 stars.

Send comments to Tom Ozric (BETA) | Report this review (#395375) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 05, 2011

Review by stefro
5 stars Many 'fans' will tell you that Can's last great album was 'Landed' - not true. 'Saw Delight', with it's delightful upbeat style, ethnic flourishes, space-jazz percussion and synth-washed electronic edges, finds the German free-form rock pioneers throwing off the heavy shackles of serious art-rock and, seemingly, for once, enjoying themselves. Released in 1977, 'Saw Delight' would see the Can line-up take ex-Traffic members Roscoe Ge(bass) and Reebop Kwaku Baah(percussion) into the fold, a decision that accentuated the group's focus on ethnic experimentation; indeed, the first two tracks on 'Saw Delight', the jazzy, sun-dappled 'Don't Say No' and the calypso-folk-bass-pop of 'Sunshine Say & Night', feature the obvious influence of the new members. The longer, fifteen-minute-plus synth-filled jazz-haze odyssey 'Call Me' heralds a return-of-sorts to the Suzuki-era Can sound, but even this highly ambient, gloriously off-beat composition is heavily-flecked by the playful feel that envelopes the album. The final two pieces, 'Animal Waves' and 'Fly By Night', again both exhibit slices of the old intermingled with textures of the new, only without the lethargic artyness that occasionally coloured Can's otherwise magnificent body of work. With a fuller, brighter feel, a heavy accent on electronics, some acutely-performned ethnic percussion and a nice helping of acid-licked neuvo-jazz, 'Saw Delight' finds Can breathing a delightful new sonic dimension into their already highly-original style of doing things, only this time without the serious expression. Don't believe the hype on this one folks, because 'Saw delight' is, just like 'Tago Mago', 'Ege Bamyasi' or 'Future Days', a proper Can classic. STEFAN TURNER, LONDON, 2011

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#443519) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 06, 2011

4 stars SAW DELIGHT! This is mine personal favorite of all albums after Soon Over Babaluma. While Sunshine day and Night & Fly by Night aren't great songs, the rest of the album is great work from CAN, especially Animal Waves and Call Me. Album recorded in 1977 sounds like it's recorded yesterday. Much b ... (read more)

Report this review (#281527) | Posted by alionida | Wednesday, May 12, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Context is everything. If Saw Delight had been released by anybody besides Can, it might be cited as an essential touchstone in the Krautrock canon. But being as it is a product of Can, and arriving in the wake of the avowed classics Tago Mago and Future Days, it gets unfairly maligned as inco ... (read more)

Report this review (#96209) | Posted by kingpossum | Monday, October 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars CAN slide into the comfort zone, producing polished pap with occasional nuggets of worth. This was Holger Czukay's way of saying - "See what happens when I'm not at the wheel!" By this time CAN's technology was beginning to overtake them, and Holger would often talk abou tlimitations defining ... (read more)

Report this review (#35307) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Saw Delight"