SAW DELIGHT

Good, but non-essential

Buy CAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1977

1. Don't say No (6:28)
2. Sunshine day and Night (6:02)
3. Call me (5:33)

- Jaki Liebezeit / drums, vocal on 1
- Rosko Gee / bass, vocals on 1 & 3
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion, vocal on 1

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Saw Delight Music

Lost TapesLost Tapes
Mute 2012
Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Imports 2014
Vinyl$25.95
Sam & Dave 45 "Still Is The Night / Can't You Find Another Way" US $7.49 Buy It Now 31m 33s
SHAQUILLE O NEAL you can't stop the reign CD 4 track single version b/w album ve US $8.53 Buy It Now 32m 41s
Love And Rockets - So Alive UK Tin Can CD Bauhaus US $12.99 Buy It Now 34m 36s
SHED SEVEN why can't i be you CD 3 track part 1 b/w hanging on the outside and m US $8.53 Buy It Now 35m 30s
SHED SEVEN why can't i be you CD 1 track promo (tmp5004) uk taste 2003 US $8.53 Buy It Now 35m 31s
SHED SEVEN why can't i be you CD 3 track part 2 b/w let me in and on standby liv US $8.53 Buy It Now 35m 35s
SHERYL CROW all i wanna do CD 3 track b/w i shall believe live and what i can do US $8.53 Buy It Now 36m 25s
SHERYL CROW can't cry anymore CD 4 track brown sleeve design b/w all i wanna do US $8.53 Buy It Now 36m 33s
SHERYL CROW can't cry anymore CD 4 track blue sleeve b/w what can i do for you l US $8.53 Buy It Now 36m 33s
ROEDELIUS GESCHENK DES ANGENBLICKS CLUSTER HARMONIA CAN KRAFTWERK NEU US $19.99 Buy It Now 38m 19s
ROEDELIUS LUSTWANDEL CLUSTER HARMONIA CAN NEU KRAFTWERK US $19.99 Buy It Now 38m 33s
ROEDELIUS MOMENTI FELICI CLUSTER HARMONIA CAN NEU KRAFTWERK US $14.99 Buy It Now 38m 48s
ROEDELIUS PIANO PIANO CLUSTER HARMONIA NEU CAN KRAFTWERK US $19.99 Buy It Now 39m 1s
THE CHANTER SISTERS-CAN'T STOP DANCING PROMO 7" SINGLE US $5.11 Buy It Now 39m 4s
ROEDELIUS SCHNEIDER STUNDEN CLUSTER HARMONIA CAN NEU KRAFTWERK US $14.99 Buy It Now 39m 16s
ROEDELIUS SELBSTPORTRAIT VOL. II CLUSTER HARMONIA CAN NEU KRAFTWERK US $19.99 Buy It Now 39m 44s
ROEDELIUS THE DIARY OF THE UNFORGOTTEN CLUSTER HARMONIA NEU CAN KRAFTWERK US $19.99 Buy It Now 39m 58s
ROEDELIUS WASSER IM WIND CLUSTER HARMONIA CAN NEU KRAFTWERK US $19.99 Buy It Now 40m 14s
Can't Stop This Thing We Started / I Do It for You US $3.40 Buy It Now 40m 27s
ROEDELIUS WIE DAS WISPERN DES WINDES CLUSTER HARMONIA CAN NEU KRAFTWERK US $19.99 Buy It Now 40m 43s
SILENCERS scottish rain CD 4 track b/w a blues for buddha, i can't cry and gimme US $8.53 Buy It Now 40m 46s
SILENCERS i can feel it CD 3 track full version pic disc b/w gold bars and candy US $8.53 Buy It Now 40m 47s
SEALED ROEDELIUS PLAYS PIANO CAN CLUSTER HARMONIA NEU KRAFTWERK US $19.99 Buy It Now 41m 13s
RAJNA Offering CD NEW! Equilibrium Dead Can Dance US $14.90 Buy It Now 43m 3s
K.D. LANG - ALL YOU CAN EAT - CD - USED US $0.01 [0 bids]
44m 14s
SINEAD QUINN i can't break down CD 3 track b/w don't speak and i try acoustic (0 US $8.53 Buy It Now 46m 3s
SING SING/LINOLEUM i can see you/your back again CD 2 track split single release US $8.53 Buy It Now 46m 20s
SINGLESKIN even the saints can get it wrong CD 3 track with promo info stickered US $8.53 Buy It Now 46m 24s
SINGLESKIN even the saints can get it wrong CD 3 track b/w just to get the shot US $8.53 Buy It Now 46m 25s
Passion Play-Baby Can't You See 12" Freestyle US $9.99 [0 bids]
46m 36s
SISTER VANILLA can't stop the rock CD 2 track promo with info stickered card sle US $8.53 Buy It Now 47m 42s
SISTER VANILLA can't stop the rock CD 2 track promo b/w what goes around (pchem0 US $8.53 Buy It Now 47m 44s
CHRIS FARLOWE BAND we can work it out 7" b/w only women bleed (2058650) pic slee US $17.36 Buy It Now 48m 26s
NEW - Anyone Can Dance: Tango by Various Artists US $3.74 Buy It Now 48m 50s
CASHMERE - CAN I - ORIGINAL DISCO 12" US $5.11 Buy It Now 49m 55s
SKUNK ANANSIE charity CD 3 track part 1 (151tp7cd) b/w i can dream live and punk US $8.53 Buy It Now 50m 4s
SKUNK ANANSIE i can dream CD 4 track b/w aesthetic anarchist,black skin sexualit US $8.53 Buy It Now 50m 14s
Robert Earl - If You Can Dream - CDEA6211 US $10.24 Buy It Now 51m 19s
DRAMATIS - I CAN SEE HER NOW - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD PIC SLV 1982 US $4.59 Buy It Now 51m 46s
SLIDES can you feel it CD 2 track b/w here comes the night (ljcd001) uk log jam US $8.53 Buy It Now 52m 23s
GINGER WILLIAMS i can't resist your tenderness 7" b/w little boy (pr01) uk parad US $12.33 Buy It Now 52m 40s
Texas - Can't Resist (CD Single) Promo US $5.97 Buy It Now 53m 8s
SMILED first picture of you CD 2 track promo with info stickered case b/w i can' US $8.53 Buy It Now 54m 41s
LEE MICHAELS can i get a witness 7" solid centre label design b/w you are what y US $8.53 Buy It Now 55m 35s
LINDA LEWIS this boy 7" promo b/w i can take it (a3518) pic sleeve uk epic 1983 US $8.53 Buy It Now 55m 44s
Tommy Knocker(12"Vinyl)You Can't Hide/Automatic Lyric-Intercom Recordings-ICOM 0 US $8.53 Buy It Now 56m 31s
Deep Inc.(12"Vinyl)Boojah/Can't Stop-Codex Recordings-CDX 004-VG/VG US $8.53 Buy It Now 56m 38s
SO! baby blue CD 3 track b/w full on mix and if you were to leave me can i come US $8.53 Buy It Now 57m 30s
PAINTBOX get ready for love 7" b/w can i get to know you (yb1029) sticker mark o US $9.23 Buy It Now 59m 4s
Jazzy Jeff - Mix So I Can Go Crazy - Jive 1985 US $6.82 Buy It Now 59m 36s
PRETTY THINGS honey i need 7" 3 pronged centre label design b/w i can never say US $30.85 Buy It Now 59m 51s
PRINCE CHARLES AND THE CITY BEAT BAND we can make it happen 7" b/w chaka beats ( US $8.53 Buy It Now 59m 57s
Rare Rap Hip Hop cd lot of Master P Ghetto D Only God can judge me US $17.99 [0 bids]
1h
REV LONNIE FRANCIS what mother can do/golden street 7" (fr45103) us farris 0 US $26.44 Buy It Now 1h
SONIQUE can't make up my mind CD 4 track original 7 mix promo in card sleeve b/w US $8.53 Buy It Now 1h
SONIQUE can't make up my mind CD 5 track original 7 mix b/w robbie rivera full v US $8.53 Buy It Now 1h
Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? by The Cranberries (CD 1993 BMG) US $1.75 Buy It Now 1h
BOYS TOWN GANG brand new me 12" 2 track in titled company sleeve b/w i just can' US $8.53 Buy It Now 1h 2m
FIVE STAR - Can't Wait Another Minute - 1986 UK 7" Vinyl Single US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
MAMAS & THE PAPAS IF YOU CAN BELIEVE YOUR EYES JAPAN CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
GIRL TALK can the rhythm 12" 2 track extended mix b/w instrumental (ivst4) pic s US $8.53 Buy It Now 1h 2m
SMALL FACES i can't make it 7" no centre b/w just passing (f12565) uk decca 1967 US $18.50 Buy It Now 1h 2m
ANYA moscow nights 12" 2 track extended version b/w how can i extended version ( US $10.57 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Nas - Can't Forget About You [Vinyl New] US $7.54 Buy It Now 1h 4m
World Psychedelic Classics 4: Nobody Can Live Forever: The Existential Soul O... US $16.67 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Papercuts - Can't Go Back [CD New] US $15.29 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Cordelia's Dad - How Can I Sleep? [CD New] US $15.98 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Stryper - Can't Stop The Rock-Stryper Co [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Zappa,Frank - Vol. 5-You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore [CD New] US $16.20 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Kimberlys 45 "You Can't Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd" US $6.74 Buy It Now 1h 6m
U2 - ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND - NEW CD US $8.01 Buy It Now 1h 7m
TOM SORAHAN, I'VE SEEN THE VIEW YOU CAN TAKE ME BACK NOW, LP 1978 UK NM/EX LYRIC US $8.53 Buy It Now 1h 7m
SPARKY LIGHTBOURNE can't stop CD 3 track with info stickered case b/w rare force US $8.53 Buy It Now 1h 8m
SPARKY LIGHTBOURNE can't stop CD 3 track (skint41cd) uk skint 1998 US $8.53 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Smith,Gregory Paul - I Can Live Again [CD New] US $13.88 Buy It Now 1h 8m
SPEARHEAD (RAP GROUP) of course you can CD 4 track promo with info stickered car US $8.53 Buy It Now 1h 9m
SPEEDWAY can't turn back CD 1 track promo with promoter's sticker on rear of car US $8.53 Buy It Now 1h 9m
SPEEDWAY can't turn back CD 1 track promo in special card sleeve (sincdj55) euro US $8.53 Buy It Now 1h 9m
SPIN DOCTORS little miss can't be wrong CD 2 track card sleeve design b/w what t US $8.53 Buy It Now 1h 11m
SPIN DOCTORS little miss can't be wrong CD 3 track b/w big fat funky booty and a US $8.53 Buy It Now 1h 11m
JESSE JOHNSON'S REVUE-"CAN YOU HELP ME"-45 RPM A&M 1985 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Can't Wait To See The Movie, , Excellent US $8.97 Buy It Now 1h 13m
THE CAN cannibalism DOUBLE-VINYL rarest GERMANY IMPORT great shape SPOON CZUKAY US $24.99 [0 bids]
DOBIE GRAY: You Can Do It/Thank You For Tonight (disco vinyl single) US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 14m
THE BRITISH BEAT- I JUST CAN'T STOP IT - OZ PRESSING LP US $16.70 Buy It Now 1h 15m
WILLIAM TELL - You Can Hold Me Down 2007 CD US $0.01 [0 bids]
Easty Boys-Can Of Man 12"-AFTERLIFE RECORDS-FREE UK P&P US $13.66 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Trash Can Sinatras - On A B Road - B Sides And Cover Songs - MEGA RARE! US $109.99 [0 bids]
LEILA SANDFORD If I can't have you 78 ARIEL Z4499 ALAN DEWHURST Marianne US $25.64 Buy It Now 1h 21m
ROYAL PHILHARMONIC O - HOOKED ON CLASSICS 2: CAN'T STOP THE CLASSICS - NEW CD US $5.87 Buy It Now 1h 21m
THE FALL - 50,000 FALL FANS CAN'T BE WRONG: 39 GOLDEN GREATS - NEW CD BOXSET US $11.39 Buy It Now 1h 22m
STING i'm so happy i can't stop crying CD 4 track b/w moonlight, giacomo's blues US $8.53 Buy It Now 1h 25m
STING i'm so happy i can't stop crying CD 2 track lp version in card sleeve b/w US $8.53 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Can Man by Boo Boo Davis (CD, Apr-2002, Black & Tan Records) US $9.51 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Can't Have Nothin' Nice * by Gear Daddies (CD, Apr-2003, GDA (USA)) US $11.55 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Can't Stop the Rock: The Stryper Collection 1984-1991 by Stryper (CD, Jul-199... US $5.43 Buy It Now 1h 29m
BLACKSTREET - (Money Can't) Buy Me Love (UK 3 Tk CD Single Pt 2) US $5.63 Buy It Now 1h 29m
CHASE WEBSTER (45 C&W) I CAN'T WALK AWAY / HANDFUL OF FRIENDS - VG+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
B.J. Thomas 45 I Just Can't Help Believing / Send My Picture To Scranton PA w/ts US $1.25 Buy It Now 1h 30m
10" 78RPM - KEN GRIFFIN, ORGAN - YOU CAN'T BE TRUE DEAR (BRUNSWICK 03968) E- US $17.08 Buy It Now 1h 30m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Saw Delight ratings distribution

CAN Saw Delight reviews

Review by Proghead
3 stars As many of you already know, this album marks the first truly drastic lineup changes in the band (in the past it was simply lead singers coming and going). Holger Czukay seemed to be a bit tired of the band, so now he gave up on the bass and started using short wave receivers. The band added bassist Rosco Gee and percussionist Reebop Kwaku Baah, both formerly of TRAFFIC. Often derided by many fans, I can see why.

The music, for the most part, seems to be on autopilot, often sticking to rhythm. The album starts off with "Don't Say No" which sounds like a rehash of "Moonshake" off "Future Days". Some of the rest of the album has that disco and ethnic feel to it, and that's a big reason many CAN fans are turned off by this album. "Animal Waves" is the longest piece on the album, and Irmin Schmidt uses quite a bit of string synths, giving it a somewhat spacier feel. Certainly this album is no "Tago Mago", "Ege Bamyasi", or "Future Days", but it's supposed to be nowhere as bad as "Out of Reach".

Send comments to Proghead (BETA) | Report this review (#23301) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 29, 2004

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Can hadn't been making consistent albums since Ege Bamyasi and also Saw Delight is very uneven .

I can't really see any merit in Sunshine Day And Night or Fly By Night. Both are rather uninteresting tracks and the band doesn't sound like they found the material very inspiring either. Bland performance. Don't Say No and Call Me however are a lot better and represent the more accessible side of Can, good concise tunes with gentle melodies as you may find on any of their albums. The performance has room for improvement though. Animal Waves is a good extended track, groovy and gentle, with some African percussion and interesting sound experiments. At 15 minutes it is stretched out too much.

Saw Delight is an album for Can fans, slightly less then Flow Motion and certainly not as good as Can/Inner Space. 2.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255269) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars One of the few things worse than a band sticking around past its expiration date is when it makes a major change to its lineup in order to make it possible for it to stick around in the first place. Holger Czukay effectively left the group during these sessions; he has no bass- playing credits on the album, instead leaving us only with credits for "wave receiver, spec. sounds" and vocals on the first track. In his place the band brought in former Traffic bassist Rosko Gee, and while he certainly sounds competent, the fact remains that Can was, essentially, Holger's band, which means that the impact of this swap doesn't just manifest itself in the basslines alone. There's a serious dearth of spark in these tracks, which turns Can from a band I'm interested in listening to into one of thousands of jam- based bands.

Another lineup change occurred in making this album, one which could have been intriguing but instead is executed as badly as it probably could have been. Another former Traffic member, with the great name of Reebop Kwaku Baah, came in as, no joke, a second percussionist. Reebop was big on "ethnic" sounds and rhythms, and in theory this should have made him a perfect addition to the band and a good foil for Jaki. Unfortunately, instead of bringing out the best in Jaki, Reebop ends up completely overshadowing him, as Jaki spends most of the album in a straightup timekeeping mode (and mixed down, no less), and isn't even able to do that in a manner close to his Human Drum Machine past. In short, then, the net result of these moves is essentially that the band traded its vaunted rhythm section for part of the rhythm section of Traffic, a move I'd rate somewhere along the lines of trading a Mickey Mantle rookie card for a picture of Homer Simpson sleeping on the couch in his underwear.

When all is said and done, the low rating comes not from the lineup changes themselves, but the fact that this album basically bores the crap out of me. The opening "Don't Say No" seems to have some bouncy, rhythmic promise at the beginning, but the essence of it is very similar to "Moonshake" from Future Days, and this track does a good job of showing that it was a good idea to make its predecessor three minutes instead of almost six-and-a-half. The lyrics are unacceptably inane, the Reebop scat-singing throughout annoys the crap out of me, and not even Karoli's guitar tricks (he seems to be the only person interested in stepping up and doing anything over this endlessly tedious groove) saves things.

"Sunshine Day and Night," which follows it, is dancable, but unlike the various tracks on Flow Motion, it lacks strong enough gimmicks from Karoli and Schmidt to let me focus on something other than, "Wow, this song is almost completely empty." "Call Me" is a vague jumble of a four-note bassline repeated ad infinitum, some "atmospheric" keyboard sounds, little effective guitar, and Rosko demonstrating a horrible singing voice while tackling a rambling, totally forgettable vocal melody. And the biggie of the album, the fifteen minute "Animal Waves," does at least have a nice keyboard pattern to loop forever instead of an ugly keyboard pattern to loop forever, but seeing as everything on top of it is essentially listening to Can autopilot as they've never autopiloted before, you're not going to see me get excited. And finally, they close with a vaguely okay pop ballad thats completely unlike everything else on the album, but while I don't mind hearing it here, it's definitely not a song I'm ever going to seek out to hear ever again.

So basically, Can left me with something that I get almost no enjoyment out of, which means a low grade is certain. On the other hand, listening to it doesn't leave me with an overpowering urge to stab my ears out with a knife, unlike albums that have gotten a 1-star rating from me, so ' stars seems right.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#369788) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 01, 2011

Review by Tom Ozric
4 stars Looks like not many folks saw delight (ha ha) in this incarnation and direction of Kraut revolutionaries CAN. For starters, ex-TRAFFIC members Rosko Gee (bass) and Reebop Kwaku Baah (percussion) were brought into the line-up and original bassist and visionary Holger Czukay's role was relegated to 'Wave Receiver' and minor vocal contributions. Live footage of the band from this period shows Czukay to the side of the stage with a table full of short-wave radios and microphones from where he manipulated the receptions and incorporated them randomly into the music. This is definately a wildly different approach to their art, but it holds originality, even though the music itself is no longer a lurching beast full of surprises and unpredictability. There is an immediate change in sound here and I've found it somewhat fascinating. Sure it's no Tago Mago, but it's 1977, quite a lot of ch-ch-changes happening within the music world, and it has been reputed that BOWIE enjoyed this era of Can a lot. Even Ed Wynne (OZRIC TENTACLES) has revealed a love of this release. Now the music on offer here is more upbeat and accessible, almost an Afro-Caribbean flavour at times, courtesy of Reebop's busy percussive work. Most tunes are jam-based, except for the last song 'Fly By Night', a laid-back 4 min ditty with vocals from Michael Karoli and tasteful keyboarding. The best piece is side two's 15 minute + jam/improvised track 'Animal Waves'. Keyboardist Irmin Schmidt spends a lot of time on his Alpha 77 Synth here, creating an almost KLAUS SCHULZE-like atmosphere utilising unusual chords along the way, with some eastern sounding violin lines from Karoli, who switches to his trademark guitar soloing half-way through, which is always a treat to hear. And I've never heard any other guitarist like him. Jaki Liebezeit's impact on the rhythmic side of things is no longer as monstrous as previously, but listening to this, it's not hard to see why he is known as a 'human drum machine'. Reebop's percussion playing a large part in the sound too. Gee supports all this with some highly inspired, great sounding bass guitaring. Holger's 'wave receiving' can be noticed as weirdo gibberish sounds in the background, never-the-less adding a strange air to the song. Repetitive maybe, but it's bright and lively, like the attractive Yantra on the back cover of the LP (or centre of the saw blade). The remaining tracks are all very good with special mention to 'Call Me'. 4 stars.

Send comments to Tom Ozric (BETA) | Report this review (#395375) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 05, 2011

Review by stefro
5 stars Many 'fans' will tell you that Can's last great album was 'Landed' - not true. 'Saw Delight', with it's delightful upbeat style, ethnic flourishes, space-jazz percussion and synth-washed electronic edges, finds the German free-form rock pioneers throwing off the heavy shackles of serious art-rock and, seemingly, for once, enjoying themselves. Released in 1977, 'Saw Delight' would see the Can line-up take ex-Traffic members Roscoe Ge(bass) and Reebop Kwaku Baah(percussion) into the fold, a decision that accentuated the group's focus on ethnic experimentation; indeed, the first two tracks on 'Saw Delight', the jazzy, sun-dappled 'Don't Say No' and the calypso-folk-bass-pop of 'Sunshine Say & Night', feature the obvious influence of the new members. The longer, fifteen-minute-plus synth-filled jazz-haze odyssey 'Call Me' heralds a return-of-sorts to the Suzuki-era Can sound, but even this highly ambient, gloriously off-beat composition is heavily-flecked by the playful feel that envelopes the album. The final two pieces, 'Animal Waves' and 'Fly By Night', again both exhibit slices of the old intermingled with textures of the new, only without the lethargic artyness that occasionally coloured Can's otherwise magnificent body of work. With a fuller, brighter feel, a heavy accent on electronics, some acutely-performned ethnic percussion and a nice helping of acid-licked neuvo-jazz, 'Saw Delight' finds Can breathing a delightful new sonic dimension into their already highly-original style of doing things, only this time without the serious expression. Don't believe the hype on this one folks, because 'Saw delight' is, just like 'Tago Mago', 'Ege Bamyasi' or 'Future Days', a proper Can classic. STEFAN TURNER, LONDON, 2011

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#443519) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 06, 2011

4 stars SAW DELIGHT! This is mine personal favorite of all albums after Soon Over Babaluma. While Sunshine day and Night & Fly by Night aren't great songs, the rest of the album is great work from CAN, especially Animal Waves and Call Me. Album recorded in 1977 sounds like it's recorded yesterday. Much b ... (read more)

Report this review (#281527) | Posted by alionida | Wednesday, May 12, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Context is everything. If Saw Delight had been released by anybody besides Can, it might be cited as an essential touchstone in the Krautrock canon. But being as it is a product of Can, and arriving in the wake of the avowed classics Tago Mago and Future Days, it gets unfairly maligned as inco ... (read more)

Report this review (#96209) | Posted by kingpossum | Monday, October 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars CAN slide into the comfort zone, producing polished pap with occasional nuggets of worth. This was Holger Czukay's way of saying - "See what happens when I'm not at the wheel!" By this time CAN's technology was beginning to overtake them, and Holger would often talk abou tlimitations defining ... (read more)

Report this review (#35307) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Saw Delight"