CANNIBALISM 1

Krautrock

Can Cannibalism 1 album cover

Buy CAN Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1978

1. Father Cannot Yell (7:05)
2. Soup (3:03)
3. Mother Sky (6:41)
4. She Brings The Rain (4:07)
5. Mushroom (4:31)
6. One More Night (5:37)
7. Outside My Door (4:11)
8. Spoon (3:09)
9. Halleluwah (5:39)
10. Aumgn (7:08)
11. Dizzy Dizzy (3:30)
12. You Doo Right (20:20)

Compilation from CAN Records:

- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards
- Damo Suzuki / vocals on Title No 3.4.7.9.10
- Malcolm Mooney / vocals on Title No 1.2.8.14

Spoon records

and to BaldFriede for the last updates

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Cannibalism 1 Music

Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Mute 2014
Vinyl$20.98
Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute 2014
Vinyl$25.98
Fabulous Miss Wendy - No One Can Stop Me [CD New] US $11.04 Buy It Now 29m 41s
EDDIE HARDIN you can't teach an old dog new tricks LAT1023 canadian LP PS EX/VG+ US $14.94 Buy It Now 30m 6s
THE RASCALS GREATEST HITS TIME PEACE LP W/ GOOD LOVIN' HOW CAN I BE SURE GROOVIN US $7.99 [0 bids]
30m 14s
Dawn Mccarthy & Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Christmas Eve Can Kill You [Vinyl New] US $14.98 Buy It Now 30m 37s
Glen Gray on 78 rpm Decca 2321: Heaven Can Wait/Sunrise Serenade US $6.49 Buy It Now 31m 1s
Little Richard Can't Believe You Wanna Leave/Keep A Knockin' 45 US $30.00 Buy It Now 32m 4s
CAN Krautrock CZUKAY LIEBEZEIT DAMO SUZUKI UNIQUE PS THAILAND EP 1970s US $49.99 [0 bids]
32m 14s
I Set My Friends On Fire - You Can't Spell Slaughter Without Laught [CD New] US $11.47 Buy It Now 32m 22s
Howling Hex - You Can't Beat Tomorrow [CD New] US $16.55 Buy It Now 32m 22s
Celly Cel - Songz U Can't Find [CD New] US $16.41 Buy It Now 32m 50s
HEAVEN & EARTH i can't seem to forget you LP VG Private 1976 Chicago IL Soul US $80.00 Buy It Now 33m 28s
If We Can't Trust the Doctors [Digipak] by Blanche (May-2004) 1 CENT CD US $0.01 [0 bids]
33m 34s
The Spencer Davis Group / Can't Get Enough Of It / I'm A Man 45 rpm UA Record US $15.00 Buy It Now 33m 51s
Earl Grant / I'll Drown In My Tears / I Can't Stop Loving You 45 Promo Record US $5.25 Buy It Now 33m 51s
Pete Seeger I CAN SEE A NEW DAY vinyl record US $11.95 [0 bids]
34m 34s
THE TROGGS (I Can't Control Myself / Gonna Make You) ROCK 45 RPM RECORD US $8.00 Buy It Now 35m 12s
Gene Pitney - Only Love Can Break A Heart (1966 Musicor MS 3003) New Mint Sealed US $49.99 Buy It Now 35m 25s
Tony Bennett  Who Can I Turn To  HITS  Sealed  Minty CD US $7.50 Buy It Now 35m 39s
The Mama's and the Papa's If You Can Believe Your Eyes DS-50006 LP Record US $15.00 [0 bids]
35m 42s
45 BILLY SWAN - I Can Help b/w Ways Of A Woman In Love w/ Monument sleeve/strip US $3.99 [0 bids]
35m 54s
SECTOR 27 Not Ready UK b/w Can't Keep Away UK 7" Tom Robinson 1980 US $4.99 [0 bids]
36m 31s
RARE FRENCH SP THE FOUR TOPS I CAN'T HELP MYSELF US $5.99 [0 bids]
36m 47s
PROMO 60s ROCK 45 RPM - JEAN CHAPEL - CHALLENGE 59362 - "YOU CAN TAKE ME" US $6.00 Buy It Now 36m 57s
MAXX - No More (I Can't Stand It) - 1994 UK 7-mix CD single US $9.95 Buy It Now 38m 2s
Accidents Can Happen by Bruce Wacker (CD, Sep-1998, DCC Compact Classics) NEW!!! US $0.93 [0 bids]
38m 26s
THE SEQUINS DON'T FALL IN LOVE/WHY CAN'T YOU TREAT ME RIGHT RED VINYL 45 RECORD US $1.00 Buy It Now 38m 48s
J. Cole - Can't Get Enough f. Trey Songz - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $14.95 Buy It Now 39m 6s
ONE DIRECTION CD CLOCK - CAN BE PERSONALISED FREE OF CHARGE US $19.94 Buy It Now 39m 48s
LEE ROGERS Love Can Really Hurt You Deep +Love For A Love FUNK SOUL BLUES 45 RPM US $6.00 Buy It Now 42m 3s
CAN-Horrortrip... LP NM+ #d/500 copies! (Neu,Kraftwerk,Tago Mago,Ege Bamyasi) US $17.69 Buy It Now 42m 12s
MIDNIGHT MOVERS UNLTD.: CAN'T STAND THE HEAT 1974 BUDDAH 407 MINT- FUNK PROMO 45 US $11.00 Buy It Now 42m 16s
Pet Shop Boys CD Can you forgive her? US $3.99 [0 bids]
42m 29s
BRETT YOUNG & GHOST SQUAD: You Can't Fool Me (oldies vinyl 45) US $25.00 Buy It Now 43m 3s
BLANCMANGE I Can See It b/w Scream Down The House 7" UK 1986 US $3.99 [0 bids]
43m 34s
3 Tanya Tucker Audio Cassette Tapes Country Music Can't Run From Yourself US $14.99 Buy It Now 43m 54s
I Can't Stop - Green, Al (CD 2003) US $2.75 Buy It Now 44m 14s
LIL ROB - CAN'T KEEP A GOOD MAN DOWN [CLEAN] [BONUS TRACK] [EDITED] - NEW CD US $2.83 Buy It Now 44m 26s
Columbia Bell Bottom Trousers & Can't You Read Between the Lines 78 Record - OLD US $0.99 [0 bids]
44m 36s
Nelson Riddle - Can Can - Capitol - CAPS2400161 - Stereo (LP) US $6.63 Buy It Now 45m 9s
Simon Harris : Bass (How Low Can You Go) - Greatest Hits CD (2003) US $14.17 Buy It Now 46m 19s
PALMER, Triston - How Can We Live (Cat Paw riddim) - 7" US $7.88 Buy It Now 46m 52s
BILLY SWAN 45 Record "I Can Help" / "Ways of a Woman in Love" VG+ Condition US $2.99 Buy It Now 47m 10s
HK Cd RONALD CHENG I'm Really Can SPECIAL VER ??? ????? US $12.99 Buy It Now 47m 14s
The TRUMPET KINGS Meet Joe Turner LP Dizzy Eldridge Edison Terry 1974 Pablo Can US $14.99 [0 bids]
47m 31s
NOS JOE SIMON.....I CAN'T STAND A LIAR US $7.00 Buy It Now 47m 40s
Hanson & Davis - Can't Stop - Bonus (1987) LP (G) 12" US $8.26 Buy It Now 47m 52s
New Seekers - Give Me Love Your Way/ You Never Can Tell - SCBS5235 (7") US $1.64 Buy It Now 48m 11s
STRIKES~21864~IF YOU CAN'T ROCK ME~75N2 XXVVKJ 7"VINYL~RMA-1004~COME BACK TO ME US $6.65 [0 bids]
49m 9s
LIONEL RICHIE "CAN'T SLOW DOWN" CASSETTE 1983 motown US $4.50 Buy It Now 49m 16s
HEAR! Funk 45 JIMMY CHANDLER I Can't Turn You Loose on City US $15.00 Buy It Now 49m 17s
Jay-Z Can't Knock The Hustle (1996) LP (G) 12" US $24.96 Buy It Now 50m 19s
The McCoys Bang Records B-506 VG Hang on Sloopy/I Can't Explain It 45 RPM US $1.95 [0 bids]
50m 26s
JIMMY REED: WHERE CAN YOU BE / FOUND LOVE 1960 Vee-Jay Promo VG US $10.00 Buy It Now 50m 43s
7"-Single THE BEATLES - Can't Buy Me Love (1964 / RI1976) UK PS US $9.99 Buy It Now 50m 58s
Howard Tate Get It While You Can / Glad I Knew Better Verve 10496 M- Chicago US $25.00 Buy It Now 51m 14s
CAN - MONSTER MOVIE - KRAUT ROCK - NEW US $31.55 Buy It Now 52m 23s
OTIS CLAY I Can't Take It VINYL LP RECORD + mp3 SEALED! US $14.94 Buy It Now 52m 30s
MINT- NORTHERN SOUL 45~RAY CHARLES~I CAN'T SATISFY/THIS US $29.99 Buy It Now 53m 5s
LISA STANSFIELD YOU CAN'T DENY IT 1990 BMG 2038 PROMO EXMT/EX US $5.99 [0 bids]
53m 21s
THE MARY KAYE TRIO You Can't Be True Dear VG+ 45 RPM US $0.99 [0 bids]
53m 42s
England Dan John Ford Coley 45 What Can I Do With This Broken Heart / Caught Up US $2.00 Buy It Now 54m
Sheb Wooley Purple People Eater/I Can't Believe You're Mine 45 RPM Atlantic US $7.00 Buy It Now 54m 5s
Lee Rogers Love Can Really Hurt You Deeply Wheelsville 121 EX Northern Soul US $25.00 Buy It Now 54m 12s
Linda Jones Hypnotized / I Can't Stop Lovin My Baby Loma 2070 M- Northern Soul US $30.00 Buy It Now 54m 39s
KEITH HAMPSHIRE - Big Time Operator / You Can't Hear The Song I Sing - 1973 VG+ US $4.79 Buy It Now 54m 44s
Little Tommy & Bobby Little You Can't Hide / Won't Be Doen Long Jim Ko Northern US $60.00 Buy It Now 55m 19s
THE BEATLES WE CAN WORK IT OUT US $5.82 [0 bids]
56m 51s
BOBBY BLAND - AIN'T NOTHING YOU CAN DO/ DO WHAT YOU SET OUT TO DO 45 US $2.00 [1 bids]
57m 51s
Leroy Airmaster Baby Just To Be With You/Can't Stop Loving You 33 1/3 RPM US $15.00 Buy It Now 58m 30s
2 CD YAZOO set Can't Be Satisfied Vol 1 & 2 1920's Early Female Blues comps. US $9.99 [0 bids]
58m 32s
Soul / R&B (LP) WILLIAM DE VAUGHN "Figures Can't Calculate" (TEC) 1980 .. SEALED US $14.99 [0 bids]
58m 34s
Elton John If the River Can Bend Cassette Tape Single - TESTED US $4.15 Buy It Now 58m 34s
BETTY BOO AND THE BEATMASTERS HEY DJ I CAN'T DANCE 1991 SIRE 40025 EX+/EX US $8.99 [0 bids]
58m 45s
Rock N Roll picture sleeve only~Chuck Berry~You Never Can Tell & Brenda Lee~exc US $7.99 Buy It Now 58m 58s
MICHAEL BOLTON - Can I Touch You... There? - 1995 UK 4-track CD single US $9.95 Buy It Now 59m
FRANKIE VALLI - CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU / THE TROUBLE WITH ME 45 RECORD US $4.25 [3 bids]
59m 24s
Elvis Costello -I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down- Rare Original UK 2-Tone 7" US $164.48 Buy It Now 59m 39s
Before Moses 'Dreams Can Come True' Rare 12" Vinyl [House] US $33.15 Buy It Now 59m 48s
Various; Star-funk vol. 12 (CAN Unidisc compilation CD, 1993) Whispers, Shalamar US $24.90 Buy It Now 59m 49s
The Beatles Can't Buy Me Love / You Can't Do That 1988 45rpm VG++ US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h
Dead Can Dance - Spiritchaser Folk, World Music Rare 1st press 4AD 1996 2LP US $75.00 Buy It Now 1h
Norman Candler - Can't Give You Anything But My Love - Telefunken -622599AS (LP) US $19.92 Buy It Now 1h
THE DOVELLS - YOU CAN'T SIT DOWN // STOMPIN' EVERYWHERE - VG++VG+++ ORIGINALL US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h
Syket - Can You Keep A Secret? LP (NEW/SEALED 2013 Vinyl) Swedish Rock/Pop US $8.29 [0 bids]
ASSEMBLE HEAD IN SUNBURST SOUND ? SWEET LP EARTHLESS HAWKWIND WHITE HILLS CAN OM US $24.99 [0 bids]
INNER SLEEVE(S) vintage PLASTIC BAGS CAN BE DANGEROUS Important Notice A x 5 US $8.29 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Kd Lang: All You Can Eat US $0.99 [0 bids]
INNER SLEEVE(S) vintage PLASTIC BAGS CAN BE DANGEROUS Important Notice B x 2 US $6.63 Buy It Now 1h 3m
INNER SLEEVE(S) vintage PLASTIC BAGS CAN BE DANGEROUS Important Notice C x 1 US $6.63 Buy It Now 1h 3m
CAN YOU FIND HIM IN YOUR HEART Lt. StyleRock Christian Accompaniment Track CD US $5.99 [0 bids]
INNER SLEEVE(S) vintage PLASTIC BAGS CAN BE DANGEROUS poly-lined die-cut x 3 US $8.29 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Spiritchaser [2xLP] by Dead Can Dance (Vinyl, Apr-2011, Mobile Fidelity Silver L US $41.35 Buy It Now 1h 4m
INNER SLEEVE(S) vintage PLASTIC BAGS CAN BE DANGEROUS poly-lined s-o die-cut x 5 US $6.63 Buy It Now 1h 4m
BAD COMPANY[PAUL RODGERS,MICK RALPHS]--10 FROM 6[Can't Get Enough,Bad Company+] US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
ZZ Top Stages / Can't Stop Rockin' Japan Import 45 With Picture Sleeve 700 Yen US $24.49 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Sonique Can't Make Up My Mind Cassette Tape Single - TESTED US $4.15 Buy It Now 1h 4m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Cannibalism 1 ratings distribution

CAN Cannibalism 1 reviews

Review by Trotsky
2 stars Sometimes I feel like the original "anti-Can fan" ... because I really dislike this group's music. Perhaps I'd heard so many good things before I heard this band that I was bound to be disappointed ... but to me Can was a one-dimensional outfit that used monotous drums, blues guitar licks, repetitive bass lines, percussive, hypnotic keyboards and incomprehensible vocals (usual a blurred whisper but occasionally a grating shout) from either Malcolm Mooney or Damo Suzuki to produce dull psychedelic music that doesn't match up to the work of Velvet Underground, Silver Apples or the jam-era Quicksilver Messenger Service, which are three very different bands that Can fleetingly reminds me of.

This compilation covers the period from 1969 to 1974 when Can released six albums, although oddly enough there is no material from 1973's Future Days, widely believed to among Can's best works. Quite a few of the songs have been drastically re-edited like Tago Mago's Halleluwah and Aumgn both of which had more than 10 minutes lopped off the original version. Also worth noting is that the original double LP had 14 songs but Spray and Soul Desert were dropped so that this stuff could be fit on one CD.

As far as I'm concerned this is generally poor music, with hardly any creative moments. A lot of songs like Father Cannot Yell, Soup, Mushroom and Yoo Doo Right are actually painful to have to sit through. Others like Mother Sky and the funky One More Night start off exciting but don't go anywhere. There were only a handful of songs I enjoyed ... the late-night blues of She Brings The Rain, the angry Outside My Door and the quirky Spoon ... although none of them seemed remotely progressive to me.

Ultimately though, I'm quite shocked at the lofty reputation of Can and its individual musicians like drummer Jaki Liebedeit and keyboardist Irmin Schmidt who seem to me to do the same thing all the time. ... 24% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#23305) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 11, 2005

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars This is probably the best available one-stop, single disc introduction to the brightest star in the Krautrock constellation, but the generous rating is strictly for the uninitiated. There isn't anything new here to tempt the already confirmed fan, who at any rate should already own the entire CAN catalogue (and if not, shame on you).

The twelve-track "Cannibalism" compilation spans the first (and best) six albums released by the band between 1969 and 1974 (actually only five albums are represented: the instrumental "Spray", off "Future Days", didn't make the transition from vinyl to CD). The disc begins and ends with the first and last tracks from their debut album "Monster Movie" - a nice gesture to symmetry, but in between all bets are off. I won't attempt to describe all the varieties of style on display here; it's enough to say the twelve selected tracks could almost be the work of (at least) six different bands, united only by the intensity of their collective vision and their commitment to uninhibited musical exploration.

The music of CAN was first and foremost a 1960s phenomenon, but not the now horribly dated Haight-Asbury psychedelic Summer of Love variety. Theirs was a decade of social and political turmoil, reflected here in a 75-minute sampling of sometimes uneasy listening, crude and creative as only the best Krautrock can be. So the gentle, bluesy ballad "She Brings the Rain" follows the ear-bending aural pile driver of "Mother Sky", before leading into the hallucinogenic tribal funk of "Mushroom", and then to the skewed metronome pop precision of "One More Night".

Scattered in between are a few listener-friendly excerpts from their more free-form outer limit improvisations, drastically abbreviated from their original album versions, and sounding a little lost when taken out of context. The epic 18+ minute "Halleluwah" suffers most, with a mere five minute extract giving no clues to the accumulative power of the "Tago Mago" album jam, which filled an entire side of vinyl.

Wisely, the monumental "Yoo Doo Right" (from the aptly titled "Monster Movie" album) was left intact. This is CAN at their primitive, embryonic best, and it's the perfect litmus test for new listeners undecided about exploring the band in depth. If you can handle a repetitive two-note bass riff for twenty (yes, twenty) minutes, layered with jungle percussion and hair-curling, distorted electric guitar, and topped off by a typically raw, unconventional vocal performance by Malcolm Mooney (turning a girlfriend's letter into a schizophrenic rant), then you might be ready to enter the greater brotherhood of true CAN fandom.

This compilation in no way replaces or even supplements the original albums. Try it as a sampler, and if sufficiently intrigued by all means continue on to the unabridged albums, if you dare.

[One quick note: this entire CD is also included in the two-disc "Can Anthology" collection, an even better bargain for curious newcomers, with a much wider range of material and a few non-album rarities for diehard collectors. And a petty complaint: the re-arrangement of tracks here from the original vinyl compilation, together with the removal of two songs to fit it onto a single CD, makes a mess out of the credits, which were never edited to match the changes. So Damo Suzuki does not sing on tracks 4 or 7 as shown (that's Malcolm Mooney); and Mooney doesn't sing on tracks 2, 8, or 14: the first is an instrumental, the second features Suzuki, and there is no track 14. Hopefully the upcoming Spoon Records re-mastered edition will fix the typos.]

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45846) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Review by Seyo
2 stars Now if I am correct, this title seems to be a CD edition of the former double LP "Cannibalism" issued in 1978. I will not repeat what I said about the former, but obviously this album is even less prominent: "because of timelimit the tracks SPRAY and SOUL DESERT of double album CANNIBALISM are missing on this CD". So, all the criticism I expressed in the former review is retained here, and the missing "Spray" makes the album "Future Days" totally unrepresented. In light of subsequent appearance of "Anthology" 2CD collection, "Cannibalism I" CD can hardly be recommended to anyone but fierce completists.

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59764) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 08, 2005

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Am I the only one here who is at least a little bit put off by the label "Krautrock" for this German branch of prog? Oh well.

This collection, as others have noted, is a fine introduction to the band Can. It contains selections from most of their early albums, and gives a pretty good idea of what this band was all about. To me, it seems to have that essence of experimentalism that other bands, like Frank Zappa & The Mothers on "Freak Out", and many British bands, like the Syd Barrett Pink Floyd, Giles, Giles & Fripp, etc. were into a few years previously. This doesn't make it bad. In fact, it's quite listenable, once you get used to it.

The best thing to me is the rhythm section. While none of the musicians here appear to be virtuosos, Jaki Liebezeit's drums and Holger Czukay's bass are intriguing enough to keep my interest.

On the down side, the repetition in the 20-minute plus "Yoo Doo Right" gets downright tedious.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221596) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Post a review of CAN "Cannibalism 1"