CANNIBALISM 1

Krautrock

Can Cannibalism 1 album cover

Buy CAN Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1978

1. Father Cannot Yell (7:05)
2. Soup (3:03)
3. Mother Sky (6:41)
4. She Brings The Rain (4:07)
5. Mushroom (4:31)
6. One More Night (5:37)
7. Outside My Door (4:11)
8. Spoon (3:09)
9. Halleluwah (5:39)
10. Aumgn (7:08)
11. Dizzy Dizzy (3:30)
12. You Doo Right (20:20)

Compilation from CAN Records:

- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards
- Damo Suzuki / vocals on Title No 3.4.7.9.10
- Malcolm Mooney / vocals on Title No 1.2.8.14

Spoon records

and to BaldFriede for the last updates

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Cannibalism 1 Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute U.S. 2008
Carrie Smith: ONLY YOU CAN DO IT- GP Records (1983) US $5.00 [0 bids]
30m 52s
SUZI QUATRO can the can 7" 4 prong centre design b/w ain't ya somethin' honey (r US $8.47 Buy It Now 31m 35s
RESTLESS HEART - You Can't Out Run The Night / That Rock Won't Roll - 45 RPM US $1.25 [0 bids]
31m 40s
45 Record HERMAN'S HERMITS - I CAN TAKE OR LEAVE YOU LOVING - VG++ US $4.99 Buy It Now 31m 45s
The Bishops - I can't stand it anymore - Cd single Promo US $1.68 [0 bids]
31m 47s
BON JOVI 100,000,000 FANS CAN'T BE WRONG PREMIERE COLLECTION 4 CD'S 1 DVD MINT US $19.99 Buy It Now 33m 8s
Muleskinner Jones - A Dying Man Can Sure Sing the Blues - 10 Track US $6.77 Buy It Now 33m 32s
Dump - I Can Hear Music - 22 Track US $6.77 Buy It Now 33m 32s
HEAR! Private Hard Rock Picture Sleeve 45 THE STRANGERS Can't Keep Foolin' Mysel US $75.00 Buy It Now 35m 5s
HEAR! Northern Soul Promo 45 TED CARROLL & THE MUSIC ERA I Can't Take IT on Atla US $15.00 Buy It Now 35m 5s
MERL SAUNDERS & AUNT MONK You Can Leave Your Hat On FANTASY LP VG+ US $8.00 [0 bids]
35m 16s
The Casinos Fraternity 45 Record #977 EX I Still Love You / Then You Can Tell US $8.00 Buy It Now 35m 20s
Halloran, Sue I Can Cook Too CD US $9.67 Buy It Now 35m 40s
THE MAMA'S AND THE PAPA'S (LP) If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears (Dunhill) US $10.00 [0 bids]
36m 13s
EYDIE GORME - Blame It On The Bossa Nova / Can't Get Over (Bossa Nova) - 45 RPM US $2.25 [0 bids]
36m 48s
Pop Promo 45 ENGLAND DAN & JOHN FORD COLEY You Can't Dance on Big Tree (Promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 37m 29s
Pop Promo 45 CHISHOL & SPENCE You Can't Get Near Enough To the One You Love on C US $5.00 Buy It Now 37m 33s
Marvin Gaye + Tammi Terrell 45 YOU'RE ALL I NEED../ 2 CAN HAVE ~Tamla VG+ Motown US $4.00 [0 bids]
38m 55s
Pinksi Zoo - The City can't have it back UK VINYL LP US $16.96 Buy It Now 40m 10s
You Can't Stop the Bum Rush, Len, Good US $4.99 Buy It Now 40m 32s
Andrew Jackson Jihad ?Can't Maintain LP NEW 6th Pressing /500 RED VINYL US $24.99 [0 bids]
40m 39s
Christine Vierra You Can Float In My Boat (PS) 12" Vinyl Single US $18.67 Buy It Now 41m 11s
Archie Bell & The Drells Atlantic 45 Record #13031 EX I Can't Stop Dancing US $8.00 Buy It Now 41m 36s
DEAD CAN DANCE-INTO LABYRINTH UK 2 LP 1994MIT top condition VINYL 1st PRESSING US $161.24 [0 bids]
41m 36s
Pet Shop Boys CD Can you forgive her? US $6.00 [0 bids]
42m 38s
Eric Clapton, Black Rose/I Can't Stand It, 45 NM US $2.99 Buy It Now 43m 28s
45 Record ROY HAMILTON - YOU CAN HAVE HER - VG+ US $0.99 Buy It Now 43m 48s
EARTH, WIND & FIRE - CAN'T LET GO 7" VINYL US $6.77 Buy It Now 43m 55s
MONTCLAIRS 45 I Just Can't Get Away / Dreaming Out Of Season (promo) - NM US $14.99 Buy It Now 45m 21s
Usher: Can u get wit it 12" 12inch vinyl record single 2a US $10.00 Buy It Now 45m 23s
Hear! Jazz Rvg 45 Jimmy Smith - Penthouse Serenade / I Can'T Get Started On Blue US $9.99 [1 bids]
46m 48s
NORTHERN SOUL 45 Gene Chandler - Mr Big Shot / I Can Take Care Of Myself LISTEN US $15.00 Buy It Now 46m 53s
Take That - Why Can't I Wake Up with You (CDs) 4 Tracks - Ex Cond - Rare US $6.77 Buy It Now 47m 36s
CAMPER VAN BEETHOVEN LP/EP RECORD *VAMPIRE CAN MATING OVEN* PITCH-A-TENT 05 EX US $4.99 [0 bids]
48m 14s
Beatles- We Can Work It Out/ Day Tripper (45 RPM Record) US $3.99 [0 bids]
49m 48s
Hear! Jazz Rvg 45 Sonny Clark - I Can'T Give You Anything But Love / The Breeze US $9.99 [0 bids]
49m 49s
CANADA 1960s MONO 45 RPM THE TROGGS I CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF + GONNA MAKE YOU US $19.99 Buy It Now 49m 55s
B.B. King - Rock Me Baby / I Can't Lose 45rpm Modern Records 45xMX30 Blues VG+ US $5.00 Buy It Now 50m 35s
Bon Jovi - Because We Can UK Dates 2013 SIGNED 8 x 12" Autographed PHOTO(137) US $8.47 Buy It Now 51m 9s
NOS UB40....CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE US $6.00 Buy It Now 51m 39s
SWEET BLINDNESS Music You Can Ride On CELEBRATION Stereo NM/NM- Promo US $18.00 Buy It Now 52m
:cd ARTIST /band :: TUCKER TANYA can't run from yourself COUNTRY US $4.99 Buy It Now 52m 2s
Jo Ann Garrett I'm So Afraid / You Can't Come In Chess 1992 Northern Soul VG+ US $30.00 Buy It Now 52m 30s
ELVIS PRESLEY 1971 50,000,000 FANS CAN'T GO WRONG US $5.00 [0 bids]
52m 49s
L'il Jimmy Becton "Why Can't It be Real" Northern Soul * 1973 * Promo-DJ*45 RPM US $24.99 Buy It Now 52m 50s
Lloyd Green - I Can Help / Them From "A Summer Place" 45 rpm 1975 US $2.50 Buy It Now 52m 51s
Disco Rap 12 ~ "Treacherous Three ~ Yes We Can ~ RGH ~ test press rare! mp3 VG+ US $14.50 [3 bids]
52m 54s
THE BEE GEES LIFE IN A TIN CAN RSO RECORDS 0598 US $3.50 Buy It Now 53m 7s
CAN YOU DIG IT? THE '70s SOUL EXPERIENCE 6 CD Box Set OOP 136 Tracks Rhino rare US $67.77 [10 bids]
53m 21s
MAYSA I can't help it ULTRA RARE TST PRESS RADIO PROMO DJ CD Single 2007 US $24.99 Buy It Now 54m 41s
Three Dog Night Joy To The World / I Can Hear You Calling Japan 45 W/PS 400 Yen US $34.99 Buy It Now 55m 16s
Christine Lavin 1988 Good Thing He Can't Read My Mind LP Philo PH-1121 US $8.43 Buy It Now 55m 27s
6680 LEXINGTON Can't You See b/w Gonna Love You DJ Copy 45 VG++ Hard Psych Rock US $25.00 Buy It Now 55m 31s
Johnny Nash Always/Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye. 45rpm US $4.99 Buy It Now 55m 35s
Bush Dunhill 4252 DJ Grand Commander and I Can Here You Calling US $10.80 Buy It Now 55m 45s
Verve 45 Ella Fitzgerald Beatles Can't Buy Me Love 1964 US $10.17 [0 bids]
56m 42s
Marvin Gaye 45 How Can I Forget / Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got US $3.00 Buy It Now 57m
EDDIE KENDRICKS - IF ANYONE CAN 7" VINYL US $13.56 Buy It Now 57m 2s
John Small Paramount 0038 DJ Can't Nobody See My Face and A Woman Who Can Shake US $7.20 Buy It Now 57m 31s
Newbeats 1965 Hickory 45rpm I Can't Hear You No More / Little Child Goffin King US $10.80 Buy It Now 57m 47s
Don't Bother, I can't cope original Broadway Cast lp US $6.99 Buy It Now 58m 8s
MARILLION - SOUNDS THAT CAN'T BE MADE [826992028521] - NEW CD US $7.99 [0 bids]
58m 18s
EDDY GRANT - CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF YOU 7" VINYL US $6.77 Buy It Now 58m 55s
IVORY JOE HUNTER - SINCE I MET YOU BABY/CAN'T STOP THE ROCKING & ROLLING - 1956 US $6.00 Buy It Now 59m 5s
VES MANSELL A Thousand Ways (Why I Can't Get No Love) M- 45 RPM US $0.19 [0 bids]
59m 44s
SAMMY HAGAR I Can't Drive 55 Promo 12" RED VINYL Van Halen Rock US $69.99 Buy It Now 1h
NORTHERN SOUL Gene Chandler - Good Times / No One Can Love You LISTEN US $7.99 [0 bids]
1h
Show Stoppers What Can A Man Do / Ain't Nothin But A House Party Showtime 101 US $50.00 Buy It Now 1h
LEON ASHLEY prayers can't reach 7" WS EX/ usa ashley US $11.87 Buy It Now 1h
Hear! Jazz Van Gelder 45 Jimmy Smith - I Cover The Waterfront / I Can'T Give You US $9.99 [0 bids]
NOS EDDIE RABBITT ..... WE CAN'T GO ON LIVING LIKE THI US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h
ELISABETH WITHERS-elle patrice/IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE/Joliet,IL/BROADWAY-Soul US $10.29 Buy It Now 1h
Plez - Can't Stop - UK Import 12" Single - Sub Sub Remixes US $2.99 [0 bids]
James Brown - Can't Get Any Harder - Cassette Single US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h
VIVIAN GIRLS I CAN'T STAY 7" 2008 GARAGE IN THE RED UNPLAYED US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h
Herman's Hermits 45 Marcel's/I Can Take Or Leave Your Loving MGM Records#K13885 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h
1972 Rasberries "Let's Pretend-Every Way I Can" 45 US $2.49 Buy It Now 1h 2m
45 RECORD JOEY LAWRENCE NOTHIN' MY LOVE CAN'T FIX US $2.60 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Herman's Hermits 45 I'm Henry VII I Am/Can't You Hear My Heartbeat Stardust US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
BILLY RAY CHARLES - DRUNK BUSTED DISGUSTED & CAN'T BE TRUSTED NEW CD US $20.61 Buy It Now 1h 2m
GENERAL JOHNSON: Can't Nobody Love Me Like You Do / Lies (soul vinyl 12) US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
I Can Complete You [Single] by Luke Slater CD ED07 US $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
CAT STEVENS, CAN'T KEEP IT IN / CRAB DANCE. ORIGINAL 1972 ISLAND SINGLE US $1.68 [0 bids]
The Percells Can't Help Falling In Love CD Gail Houston 16 Hits Brand New US $6.95 Buy It Now 1h 4m
NOS RICKY LYNN.....CAN YOU FEEL IT US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Rock 45 ANDY WILLIAMS Can't Get Used To Losing You on Columbia US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Nat Shilkret Or on 78 rpm Victor 21215: Can't Help Loving Dat Man/Why Do I Love US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA - CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD 7" VINYL US $16.96 Buy It Now 1h 6m
SIDE EFFECT I'm Likin What You Do To Me b/w You Can Do It STOCK M- US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
LP: GEORGE MAHARIS~WHERE CAN YOU GO FOR A BROKEN HEART?~NM RARE Mono Promo EPIC~ US $7.99 [0 bids]
NOS EDDIE RABBITT ........ I CAN'T HELP MYSELF US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
CAN PREHISTORIC FUTURE LP PROG VINYL THE VERY FIRST SESSION RECORD US $19.99 [0 bids]
Nice Work If You Can Get It: Songs by the Gershwins by Michael Feinstein CD US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
HANK PENNY YOU CAN'T PULL THE WOOL OVER MY EYES FAN IT NEAR MINT 1953 US $12.73 Buy It Now 1h 9m
PC QUEST --- Can I Call You My Girl --- CD Single - PROMO - 2 Trk -- w) Acoustic US $7.77 [0 bids]
Bobby Vee More Than I Can Say London Label 45-HLG 9316 Rare 7" Single US $5.09 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Joe Cocker Luxury You Can Afford Vinyl Classic Rock Record LP Album US $2.60 Buy It Now 1h 11m
CD: "Music You Can Believe In Vol II", Various Artists (2004) US $0.01 [0 bids]
Love Can Build a Bridge by The Judds (CD, Nov-1996, Curb) US $1.50 Buy It Now 1h 12m
RUBY & ROMANTICS: We Can Make It / Remember Me (soul vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Cannibalism 1 ratings distribution

CAN Cannibalism 1 reviews

Review by Trotsky
2 stars Sometimes I feel like the original "anti-Can fan" ... because I really dislike this group's music. Perhaps I'd heard so many good things before I heard this band that I was bound to be disappointed ... but to me Can was a one-dimensional outfit that used monotous drums, blues guitar licks, repetitive bass lines, percussive, hypnotic keyboards and incomprehensible vocals (usual a blurred whisper but occasionally a grating shout) from either Malcolm Mooney or Damo Suzuki to produce dull psychedelic music that doesn't match up to the work of Velvet Underground, Silver Apples or the jam-era Quicksilver Messenger Service, which are three very different bands that Can fleetingly reminds me of.

This compilation covers the period from 1969 to 1974 when Can released six albums, although oddly enough there is no material from 1973's Future Days, widely believed to among Can's best works. Quite a few of the songs have been drastically re-edited like Tago Mago's Halleluwah and Aumgn both of which had more than 10 minutes lopped off the original version. Also worth noting is that the original double LP had 14 songs but Spray and Soul Desert were dropped so that this stuff could be fit on one CD.

As far as I'm concerned this is generally poor music, with hardly any creative moments. A lot of songs like Father Cannot Yell, Soup, Mushroom and Yoo Doo Right are actually painful to have to sit through. Others like Mother Sky and the funky One More Night start off exciting but don't go anywhere. There were only a handful of songs I enjoyed ... the late-night blues of She Brings The Rain, the angry Outside My Door and the quirky Spoon ... although none of them seemed remotely progressive to me.

Ultimately though, I'm quite shocked at the lofty reputation of Can and its individual musicians like drummer Jaki Liebedeit and keyboardist Irmin Schmidt who seem to me to do the same thing all the time. ... 24% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#23305) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 11, 2005

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars This is probably the best available one-stop, single disc introduction to the brightest star in the Krautrock constellation, but the generous rating is strictly for the uninitiated. There isn't anything new here to tempt the already confirmed fan, who at any rate should already own the entire CAN catalogue (and if not, shame on you).

The twelve-track "Cannibalism" compilation spans the first (and best) six albums released by the band between 1969 and 1974 (actually only five albums are represented: the instrumental "Spray", off "Future Days", didn't make the transition from vinyl to CD). The disc begins and ends with the first and last tracks from their debut album "Monster Movie" - a nice gesture to symmetry, but in between all bets are off. I won't attempt to describe all the varieties of style on display here; it's enough to say the twelve selected tracks could almost be the work of (at least) six different bands, united only by the intensity of their collective vision and their commitment to uninhibited musical exploration.

The music of CAN was first and foremost a 1960s phenomenon, but not the now horribly dated Haight-Asbury psychedelic Summer of Love variety. Theirs was a decade of social and political turmoil, reflected here in a 75-minute sampling of sometimes uneasy listening, crude and creative as only the best Krautrock can be. So the gentle, bluesy ballad "She Brings the Rain" follows the ear-bending aural pile driver of "Mother Sky", before leading into the hallucinogenic tribal funk of "Mushroom", and then to the skewed metronome pop precision of "One More Night".

Scattered in between are a few listener-friendly excerpts from their more free-form outer limit improvisations, drastically abbreviated from their original album versions, and sounding a little lost when taken out of context. The epic 18+ minute "Halleluwah" suffers most, with a mere five minute extract giving no clues to the accumulative power of the "Tago Mago" album jam, which filled an entire side of vinyl.

Wisely, the monumental "Yoo Doo Right" (from the aptly titled "Monster Movie" album) was left intact. This is CAN at their primitive, embryonic best, and it's the perfect litmus test for new listeners undecided about exploring the band in depth. If you can handle a repetitive two-note bass riff for twenty (yes, twenty) minutes, layered with jungle percussion and hair-curling, distorted electric guitar, and topped off by a typically raw, unconventional vocal performance by Malcolm Mooney (turning a girlfriend's letter into a schizophrenic rant), then you might be ready to enter the greater brotherhood of true CAN fandom.

This compilation in no way replaces or even supplements the original albums. Try it as a sampler, and if sufficiently intrigued by all means continue on to the unabridged albums, if you dare.

[One quick note: this entire CD is also included in the two-disc "Can Anthology" collection, an even better bargain for curious newcomers, with a much wider range of material and a few non-album rarities for diehard collectors. And a petty complaint: the re-arrangement of tracks here from the original vinyl compilation, together with the removal of two songs to fit it onto a single CD, makes a mess out of the credits, which were never edited to match the changes. So Damo Suzuki does not sing on tracks 4 or 7 as shown (that's Malcolm Mooney); and Mooney doesn't sing on tracks 2, 8, or 14: the first is an instrumental, the second features Suzuki, and there is no track 14. Hopefully the upcoming Spoon Records re-mastered edition will fix the typos.]

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45846) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Review by Seyo
2 stars Now if I am correct, this title seems to be a CD edition of the former double LP "Cannibalism" issued in 1978. I will not repeat what I said about the former, but obviously this album is even less prominent: "because of timelimit the tracks SPRAY and SOUL DESERT of double album CANNIBALISM are missing on this CD". So, all the criticism I expressed in the former review is retained here, and the missing "Spray" makes the album "Future Days" totally unrepresented. In light of subsequent appearance of "Anthology" 2CD collection, "Cannibalism I" CD can hardly be recommended to anyone but fierce completists.

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59764) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 08, 2005

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Am I the only one here who is at least a little bit put off by the label "Krautrock" for this German branch of prog? Oh well.

This collection, as others have noted, is a fine introduction to the band Can. It contains selections from most of their early albums, and gives a pretty good idea of what this band was all about. To me, it seems to have that essence of experimentalism that other bands, like Frank Zappa & The Mothers on "Freak Out", and many British bands, like the Syd Barrett Pink Floyd, Giles, Giles & Fripp, etc. were into a few years previously. This doesn't make it bad. In fact, it's quite listenable, once you get used to it.

The best thing to me is the rhythm section. While none of the musicians here appear to be virtuosos, Jaki Liebezeit's drums and Holger Czukay's bass are intriguing enough to keep my interest.

On the down side, the repetition in the 20-minute plus "Yoo Doo Right" gets downright tedious.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221596) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Post a review of CAN "Cannibalism 1"