CANNIBALISM 1

Krautrock

Can Cannibalism 1 album cover

Buy CAN Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1978

1. Father Cannot Yell (7:05)
2. Soup (3:03)
3. Mother Sky (6:41)
4. She Brings The Rain (4:07)
5. Mushroom (4:31)
6. One More Night (5:37)
7. Outside My Door (4:11)
8. Spoon (3:09)
9. Halleluwah (5:39)
10. Aumgn (7:08)
11. Dizzy Dizzy (3:30)
12. You Doo Right (20:20)

Compilation from CAN Records:

- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards
- Damo Suzuki / vocals on Title No 3.4.7.9.10
- Malcolm Mooney / vocals on Title No 1.2.8.14

Spoon records

and to BaldFriede for the last updates

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Cannibalism 1 Music

Mute 2014
Vinyl$21.32
Soon Over BabalunaSoon Over Babaluna
Mute 2009
Lou Reed_Sally Can't Dance_used VINYL LP_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $89.41 Buy It Now 31m 40s
Zutons - You Can Do Anything (CD 2008) US $9.79 Buy It Now 34m
John Mellencamp Cd album - The Best I Can Do US $7.14 Buy It Now 34m 33s
PHIL COLLINS you can't harry love JAPAN 7" P-1736 kR4 US $8.99 Buy It Now 35m 39s
girltalk- can the rhythm 7" shaped picture disc VG+ US $9.77 Buy It Now 36m 30s
Suzi Quatro, a) Can the Can b) Ain't ya Somethin' Honey, 7" 1973 RAK sleeve US $0.82 [0 bids]
37m 5s
Bad Company "Can't Get Enough/ Little Miss Fortune"1974 SwanSong USA 7"vinyl US $3.25 [0 bids]
39m 53s
10CC - Dreadlock Holiday / NOTHING CAN MOVE ME 6008 035 7" VINYL RECORD EX 31 US $16.29 Buy It Now 40m 14s
Lionel Richie Can't Slow Down Gatefold LP US $9.77 Buy It Now 42m 11s
Can-I-Bus [PA] by Canibus (CD, Sep-2000, Universal Distribution) US $4.99 Buy It Now 45m 34s
LOS LOBOS TIN CAN TRUST US $19.99 Buy It Now 45m 56s
CAN 'Out Of Reach' Limited Edition 180g Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $17.87 Buy It Now 52m 12s
PHINESSE I CAN'T WAIT * CD SINGLE * US $10.72 Buy It Now 53m 16s
JO-ANN BROOKS-THE STRANGER /LOVE CAN BE SOLD-1979-12"-CAN-WorlShip$10.00-EU$9.00 US $9.99 Buy It Now 53m 33s
THOMPSON TWINS-HOLD ME NOW (EXTENDED SINGLE)-1984-12"-CAN-WorlShip$10.00-EU$9.00 US $9.99 Buy It Now 53m 33s
VG, Can't Fight Fate, Dayne, Taylor, 078221858120, US $3.99 Buy It Now 59m 54s
THE BEATLES Cant buy me love / You can't do that Parlophone R5114 Classic US $16.29 Buy It Now 1h
HIGH INERGY-I LOVE MAKIN' LOVE (TO THE MUSIC)-7"-1980-CAN-WorlShip$6.00-EU$5.00 US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h
SHALAMAR-SWEETER AS THE DAYS GO BY / THE FINAL ANALYSIS-CAN-1981-7"-WoShip$6.00 US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h
REO SPEEDWAGON-TAKE IT ON THE RUN/SOMEONE TONIGHT-1980-7"-CAN-Ship$6.00-EU$5.00 US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h
Miley Cyrus Can't Be Tamed Delux Edition CD US $7.15 [0 bids]
COM TRUISE In Decay 2x LP NEW COLORED VINYL Ghostly International Boards Of Can US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
STRONG INTENTION What Else Can We Do LP new six weeks US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Shotgun Jimmie - Everything Everything Import-CAN Vinyl Record LP US $45.77 Buy It Now 1h 6m
BILLY SWAN 70's sheet music- I CAN HELP US $19.57 Buy It Now 1h 7m
45 rpm - JOE STAMPLEY of The Uniques: CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW I FEEL /HOW LUCKY mint US $6.50 Buy It Now 1h 8m
GARY GLITTER- 7"Single-Love In The Sun/I Can Hear Music, EX+ US $9.77 Buy It Now 1h 9m
CRAIG ROBERTSON-CAN WE TRY AGAIN/GIVE AS GOOD AS YOU GET-SIGNED-45 RPM 7" PC US $8.90 Buy It Now 1h 9m
VARIOUS You can all join in Island IWP 2 pink island Rare 1969 orig Nirvana, Art US $32.61 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Red Beans & Rice : Can T Get Enough CD US $8.02 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Leo Sayer - More than I can say - Maxi Single 12" - US $8.00 [0 bids]
ALBERT KING...I CAN'T HEAR NOTHING BUT THE BLUES...STAX-45 US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
U2 ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND CASSETTE TAPE US $10.73 Buy It Now 1h 14m
U2 ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND EU CASSETTE TAPE US $10.73 Buy It Now 1h 14m
VIRGIL GRIFFIN Reginald IF YOU CAN'T GO DON'T HINDER ME US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
GLORIA GAYNOR NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE 2006463 7" VINYL RECORD VG 31 US $3.74 Buy It Now 1h 16m
KEVIN BORICH EXPRESS, NO TURNING BACK / I CAN'T WAIT 7"x45rpm 1978 OZ RECORD US $4.46 Buy It Now 1h 18m
78 Teddy Wilson, Stompin at the Savoy I Can't Get Started, 1945, Musicraft 332 US $7.39 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Lee Dorsey - Funky As I Can Be! [CD New] US $11.21 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Fuchs/Reiner/Proto/Misek - Bass! How Low Can You Go? [CD New] US $15.26 Buy It Now 1h 22m
RONNIE McNEIR & INSTANT GROOVE-JUST CAN'T LET YOU GO.. US $11.40 Buy It Now 1h 22m
HOLLAND-DOZIER-HOLLAND - CAN'T GET ENOUGH..US.INVICTUS US $8.14 Buy It Now 1h 22m
CALVIN LEAVY-GIVE ME A LOVE(THAT I CAN FEEL)..US.SOUL B US $40.76 Buy It Now 1h 22m
HONEY & THE BEES - BE YOURSELF/TWO CAN PLAY THE SAME GAME..UK.SEVENS US $9.77 Buy It Now 1h 22m
ARTHUR PRYSOCK - YOU CAN DO IT..US.OLD TOWN US $9.77 Buy It Now 1h 22m
HOWARD TATE-GLAD I KNEW BETTER / GET IT WHILE YOU CAN..U.S VERVE US $24.45 Buy It Now 1h 23m
JENNELL HAWKINS - MOMENTS / CAN I..U.S AMAZON US $24.45 Buy It Now 1h 23m
GWEN McCRAE-AIN'T NOTHING YOU CAN DO-U.S.COLUMBIA PROMO US $32.61 Buy It Now 1h 23m
JOE MATTHEWS-AIN'T NOTHING YOU CAN DO..UK.SOUL CITY US $9.77 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Can't Stop CD PROMO 2002 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
SUZI QUATRO can the can JAPAN 7" EOR-10404 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Flo Rida - Club Can't Handle Me Feat. David Guetta [Vinyl New] US $9.83 Buy It Now 1h 26m
THE BROKEN WEST - I CAN'T GO ON, I'LL GO ON - NEW CD US $13.82 Buy It Now 1h 26m
JOHNNY NASH - I Can See Clearly Now [2011 BBR CD Remaster + 2 Bonus Tracks] US $11.83 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Tammy Wynette(Vinyl LP)Till I Can Make It My Own-Epic-EPC 81182-UK-VG+/VG US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
James Brown(7" Vinyl)I Can't Stand Myself / There Was A Time--COL 4407-US-VG/NM US $18.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Phil Collins - Can't Stop Loving You CD ONE TRACK SINGLE 2002 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Janis Joplin-45 RPM-Columbia 13-33205 "Me and Bobbu McGee/Get It when You Can" US $1.99 [0 bids]
Luther - Can Heaven Wait 2LP US 2001 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Status Quo: If You Can't Stand The Heat - {1978} RARE Cassette US $5.81 Buy It Now 1h 36m
The Pitneys - I can hardly wait Lp record Album NM NM SER 1883 in shrink (open) US $7.00 [0 bids]
Elvis Presley 50.000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong Music Cassette RCA Label US $21.19 Buy It Now 1h 40m
ARTHUR PRYSOCK YOU CAN DO IT 7" US $24.45 Buy It Now 1h 41m
THE BEATLES Day tripper / We can work it out Parlophone R51389 Classic 60's pop US $16.29 Buy It Now 1h 41m
ASHANTI - CAN'T STOP [ASHANTI] [CD] [1 DISC] [643346100227] - NEW CD US $7.37 Buy It Now 1h 41m
ARTHUR PRYSOCK YOU CAN DO IT 7" US $8.14 Buy It Now 1h 43m
HOWARD JONES - Things Can Only Get Better - Excellent Con 7" Single WEA HOW 6 US $6.48 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Pretty Things on Fontana promo - Cry to me/I can never say - British Invasion US $5.00 [1 bids]
Bad Company(7" Vinyl)Can't Get Enough-Island-WIP 6191-UK-VG/NM US $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Bad Company(7" Vinyl)Can't Get Enough-Island-WIP 6191-UK-VG/NM US $8.14 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Michael Jackson - I Just Can't Stop Loving You - Ltd Edition Shaped Picture Disc US $9.77 [0 bids]
The Zutons - You Can Do Anything (2008) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $3.60 Buy It Now 1h 51m
METALLICA Wherever I may roam - The Box LIMITED EDITION 1993 FRENCH SILVER CAN US $15.99 [5 bids]
BROTHERS BEYOND 7" SINGLE CAN YOU KEEP A SECRET 1987 US $1.61 [0 bids]
BARRY MANILOW - 45 VINYL RECORD - CAN'T SMILE WITHOUT YOU US $3.49 Buy It Now 1h 55m
The Gordon Project , Audio CD, I Can See Heaven From Here US $7.09 Buy It Now 1h 55m
THE BEACH BOYS..I CAN HEAR MUSIC..EXCELLENT 1969 CAPITOL RECORDS POP 7" CL 15584 US $6.51 Buy It Now 1h 56m
AMBROSIA - HOW CAN YOU LOVE ME - 7" PICTURE DISC US $6.51 Buy It Now 1h 59m
U2 cassette album -All That You Can't Leave (rare Indonesian import) US $11.62 Buy It Now 2h
Genesis - We Can't Dance (SACD + Bonus DVD) (2007) US $40.76 [0 bids]
2h
WAR - Why Can't We Be Friends? CD ©1992 Avenue / Rhino - NEW SEALED MINT US $37.00 Buy It Now 2h
KYLIE Can't Get You Out Of My Head 4-Track (CD Single 2001) Inc Video US $4.88 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Queensryche - Best I Can - 7" Vinyl Single in Picture Sleeve US $6.52 Buy It Now 2h 3m
DEATH CAN DANCE AION LABEL:4D POP ELECTRONICA ENGLAND 1990 RARE US $18.00 [0 bids]
Heart "How Can I Refuse" Terrific Oz PROMO 7" US $10.73 Buy It Now 2h 4m
+PETER JAY & JAYWALKERS REDSKINS/CAN-CAN '62 1962 DECCA US $3.18 [0 bids]
LAWSON & 4 MORE - SMART BIRD/IF YOU WANT ME YOU CAN FIND ME (UK) NEW VINYL US $23.59 Buy It Now 2h 6m
SILHOUETTE-I Can Take A Hint-7" Vinyl Single 45rpm Record-Spirit-Fire 3-1984 US $3.25 [0 bids]
MADONNA YOU CAN DANCE UNIQUE 1987 EXYU CASSETTE TAPE US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
+BRIAN POOLE & THE TREMELOES DO YOU LOVE ME / WHY CAN'T YOU LOVE ME 1963 DECCA US $3.18 [0 bids]
Can - Landed (SACD) US $19.56 [0 bids]
Can - Tago Mago (SACD) US $19.56 [0 bids]
JOHN HOLT (VOCALS) - I CAN'T GET YOU OFF MY MIND: 18 GREATEST HITS AT - NEW CD US $17.92 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Can - Future Days (SACD) US $19.56 [0 bids]
Can - Monster Movie (SACD) US $19.56 [0 bids]
Can - Flow Motion (SACD) US $19.56 [0 bids]
THE TEMPTATIONS - 70's Sheet Music - I CAN'T GET NEXT TO YOU US $22.84 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Can - Saw Delight (SACD) US $19.56 [0 bids]
I Can't Hear U When U Shout, Stewart Curtis' K-Groove, Good CD US $4.44 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Can - Delay 1968 (SACD) US $19.56 [1 bids]

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Cannibalism 1 ratings distribution

CAN Cannibalism 1 reviews

Review by Trotsky
2 stars Sometimes I feel like the original "anti-Can fan" ... because I really dislike this group's music. Perhaps I'd heard so many good things before I heard this band that I was bound to be disappointed ... but to me Can was a one-dimensional outfit that used monotous drums, blues guitar licks, repetitive bass lines, percussive, hypnotic keyboards and incomprehensible vocals (usual a blurred whisper but occasionally a grating shout) from either Malcolm Mooney or Damo Suzuki to produce dull psychedelic music that doesn't match up to the work of Velvet Underground, Silver Apples or the jam-era Quicksilver Messenger Service, which are three very different bands that Can fleetingly reminds me of.

This compilation covers the period from 1969 to 1974 when Can released six albums, although oddly enough there is no material from 1973's Future Days, widely believed to among Can's best works. Quite a few of the songs have been drastically re-edited like Tago Mago's Halleluwah and Aumgn both of which had more than 10 minutes lopped off the original version. Also worth noting is that the original double LP had 14 songs but Spray and Soul Desert were dropped so that this stuff could be fit on one CD.

As far as I'm concerned this is generally poor music, with hardly any creative moments. A lot of songs like Father Cannot Yell, Soup, Mushroom and Yoo Doo Right are actually painful to have to sit through. Others like Mother Sky and the funky One More Night start off exciting but don't go anywhere. There were only a handful of songs I enjoyed ... the late-night blues of She Brings The Rain, the angry Outside My Door and the quirky Spoon ... although none of them seemed remotely progressive to me.

Ultimately though, I'm quite shocked at the lofty reputation of Can and its individual musicians like drummer Jaki Liebedeit and keyboardist Irmin Schmidt who seem to me to do the same thing all the time. ... 24% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#23305) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 11, 2005

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars This is probably the best available one-stop, single disc introduction to the brightest star in the Krautrock constellation, but the generous rating is strictly for the uninitiated. There isn't anything new here to tempt the already confirmed fan, who at any rate should already own the entire CAN catalogue (and if not, shame on you).

The twelve-track "Cannibalism" compilation spans the first (and best) six albums released by the band between 1969 and 1974 (actually only five albums are represented: the instrumental "Spray", off "Future Days", didn't make the transition from vinyl to CD). The disc begins and ends with the first and last tracks from their debut album "Monster Movie" - a nice gesture to symmetry, but in between all bets are off. I won't attempt to describe all the varieties of style on display here; it's enough to say the twelve selected tracks could almost be the work of (at least) six different bands, united only by the intensity of their collective vision and their commitment to uninhibited musical exploration.

The music of CAN was first and foremost a 1960s phenomenon, but not the now horribly dated Haight-Asbury psychedelic Summer of Love variety. Theirs was a decade of social and political turmoil, reflected here in a 75-minute sampling of sometimes uneasy listening, crude and creative as only the best Krautrock can be. So the gentle, bluesy ballad "She Brings the Rain" follows the ear-bending aural pile driver of "Mother Sky", before leading into the hallucinogenic tribal funk of "Mushroom", and then to the skewed metronome pop precision of "One More Night".

Scattered in between are a few listener-friendly excerpts from their more free-form outer limit improvisations, drastically abbreviated from their original album versions, and sounding a little lost when taken out of context. The epic 18+ minute "Halleluwah" suffers most, with a mere five minute extract giving no clues to the accumulative power of the "Tago Mago" album jam, which filled an entire side of vinyl.

Wisely, the monumental "Yoo Doo Right" (from the aptly titled "Monster Movie" album) was left intact. This is CAN at their primitive, embryonic best, and it's the perfect litmus test for new listeners undecided about exploring the band in depth. If you can handle a repetitive two-note bass riff for twenty (yes, twenty) minutes, layered with jungle percussion and hair-curling, distorted electric guitar, and topped off by a typically raw, unconventional vocal performance by Malcolm Mooney (turning a girlfriend's letter into a schizophrenic rant), then you might be ready to enter the greater brotherhood of true CAN fandom.

This compilation in no way replaces or even supplements the original albums. Try it as a sampler, and if sufficiently intrigued by all means continue on to the unabridged albums, if you dare.

[One quick note: this entire CD is also included in the two-disc "Can Anthology" collection, an even better bargain for curious newcomers, with a much wider range of material and a few non-album rarities for diehard collectors. And a petty complaint: the re-arrangement of tracks here from the original vinyl compilation, together with the removal of two songs to fit it onto a single CD, makes a mess out of the credits, which were never edited to match the changes. So Damo Suzuki does not sing on tracks 4 or 7 as shown (that's Malcolm Mooney); and Mooney doesn't sing on tracks 2, 8, or 14: the first is an instrumental, the second features Suzuki, and there is no track 14. Hopefully the upcoming Spoon Records re-mastered edition will fix the typos.]

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45846) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Review by Seyo
2 stars Now if I am correct, this title seems to be a CD edition of the former double LP "Cannibalism" issued in 1978. I will not repeat what I said about the former, but obviously this album is even less prominent: "because of timelimit the tracks SPRAY and SOUL DESERT of double album CANNIBALISM are missing on this CD". So, all the criticism I expressed in the former review is retained here, and the missing "Spray" makes the album "Future Days" totally unrepresented. In light of subsequent appearance of "Anthology" 2CD collection, "Cannibalism I" CD can hardly be recommended to anyone but fierce completists.

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59764) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 08, 2005

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Am I the only one here who is at least a little bit put off by the label "Krautrock" for this German branch of prog? Oh well.

This collection, as others have noted, is a fine introduction to the band Can. It contains selections from most of their early albums, and gives a pretty good idea of what this band was all about. To me, it seems to have that essence of experimentalism that other bands, like Frank Zappa & The Mothers on "Freak Out", and many British bands, like the Syd Barrett Pink Floyd, Giles, Giles & Fripp, etc. were into a few years previously. This doesn't make it bad. In fact, it's quite listenable, once you get used to it.

The best thing to me is the rhythm section. While none of the musicians here appear to be virtuosos, Jaki Liebezeit's drums and Holger Czukay's bass are intriguing enough to keep my interest.

On the down side, the repetition in the 20-minute plus "Yoo Doo Right" gets downright tedious.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221596) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Post a review of CAN "Cannibalism 1"