CANNIBALISM 1

Krautrock

Can Cannibalism 1 album cover

Buy CAN Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1978

1. Father Cannot Yell (7:05)
2. Soup (3:03)
3. Mother Sky (6:41)
4. She Brings The Rain (4:07)
5. Mushroom (4:31)
6. One More Night (5:37)
7. Outside My Door (4:11)
8. Spoon (3:09)
9. Halleluwah (5:39)
10. Aumgn (7:08)
11. Dizzy Dizzy (3:30)
12. You Doo Right (20:20)

Compilation from CAN Records:

- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards
- Damo Suzuki / vocals on Title No 3.4.7.9.10
- Malcolm Mooney / vocals on Title No 1.2.8.14

Spoon records

and to BaldFriede for the last updates

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Cannibalism 1 Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute U.S. 2008
Future DaysFuture Days
Remastered
Mute U.S. 2008
We Can See the Sky from Here A Burning Water CD US $7.69 Buy It Now 29m 35s
The Race If You Can CD US $9.32 Buy It Now 29m 36s
Various Artists Can You Rock: Sing And Play The Songs Of Blink 18 CD US $13.24 Buy It Now 29m 44s
Barbara And The Browns Can't Find Happiness-The Sounds Of Memphis CD US $13.86 Buy It Now 29m 50s
Immortalis / Various (can) CD US $15.05 Buy It Now 29m 53s
Piatigorsky / Hommage (can) CD US $13.72 Buy It Now 29m 56s
Can You Rock? Sing and Play the Songs of Led Zeppelin Various CD US $15.47 Buy It Now 30m 4s
Fuchs / Bass: How Low Can You CD US $15.09 Buy It Now 30m 42s
Take It Back Can't Fight Robots CD US $10.52 Buy It Now 30m 45s
Mouthpiece Can't Kill What's Inside CD US $12.51 Buy It Now 30m 47s
Various Artists What Love Can Do CD US $13.30 Buy It Now 30m 55s
Valerie Smith/Liberty Pike That's What Love Can Do CD US $11.31 Buy It Now 30m 55s
Mourning September A Man Can Change His Stars CD US $6.88 Buy It Now 30m 56s
Graupner / Partitas 2 (can) CD US $14.56 Buy It Now 30m 58s
Jimmy Dickens 45 HOW TO CATCH A SKEETER / CAN YOU BUILD... ~VG+ US $1.95 Buy It Now 31m 22s
Rev.Alvin Golden 45 CHRIST IS ALL I NEED / YOU CAN...~VG+ Detroit gospel US $3.25 Buy It Now 31m 22s
Vikki Anderson soul 45 I Can't Stop Loving You / I Got A Good Man ~ Tuff M- US $5.39 Buy It Now 31m 22s
Greater Walters Of Chicago He Can Do Anything CD US $11.75 Buy It Now 31m 57s
Lil' Suzy Love Can't Wait CD US $14.77 Buy It Now 31m 58s
Madonna-You Can Dance (Cassette) US $5.99 Buy It Now 31m 59s
Sensational Nightingales Live So God Can Use You CD US $14.93 Buy It Now 32m 12s
R.Kelly- I Believe I Can Fly CD Single in a Black Tin Can Promo From SpaceJam US $20.00 Buy It Now 32m 26s
MICHAEL JACKSON "Thriller" b/w "Can't Get Outta The Rain" SOUL POP on Epic NR US $4.99 [0 bids]
32m 40s
Eve Gallagher Woman Can Have It CD 1995 Boy George More Protein Mark Brydon US $2.99 [0 bids]
34m 23s
50,000,000 Fans Can't Be Wrong - Elvis' Gold Records Vol. 2 LP - Vinyl - 1971 US $9.98 [0 bids]
35m 36s
Tha Liks - Best U Can 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 37m 51s
Smokey Robinson Miracles If You Can Want 45 Rpm Phonograph Record US $12.99 Buy It Now 38m 2s
Mary J. Blige I Can Love You Hip Hop Promo EP US $7.98 Buy It Now 38m 39s
Can You Hear Me Knocking Little Wing US $19.99 [1 bids]
38m 49s
Led Zeppelin cassette single Immigrant Song, Hey Hey What Can I Do, Jimmy Page US $3.00 [0 bids]
39m
Communards: Never can say goodbye 12" 12inch vinyl record single 2d US $2.00 Buy It Now 40m 38s
VG++ BACHELORS NO ARMS CAN EVER HOLD YOU LP LONDON RECORDS PS 418 US $5.98 Buy It Now 41m
Spaceark Do What You Can Do Color World label US $99.99 Buy It Now 41m 14s
Music from Can-Can and other Cole Porter Favorites US $7.99 Buy It Now 41m 31s
100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't be Wrong CD's US $100.00 Buy It Now 41m 52s
Anything Can Happen * by Questionnaires (US) (CD, Oct-1991, EMI Music... US $4.00 Buy It Now 42m 17s
THE ENGLISH BEAT - I Just Can't Stop It LP - SKA/PUNK Original 1980 USA Release US $7.99 [0 bids]
42m 51s
WOMEN'S RAILROAD BLUES Sorry But I Can't Take You-ROSETTA RECORDS US $19.99 Buy It Now 43m 29s
The BEATLES We Can Work It Out 45 rpm & Picture Sleeve 1965 Vinyl US $39.98 Buy It Now 43m 34s
Tension - Can You Feel It 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 43m 44s
45 GENTLEMAN REG - YOU CAN'T GET IT BACK, CITY OF EROS EP 7" A & C RECORDS US $5.98 Buy It Now 44m 34s
JOHNNY RODRIGUEZ 7" 45 RPM VINYL RECORD I JUST CAN'T GET HER OUT OF MY MIND US $0.99 [0 bids]
44m 35s
13-0617-042 | ANRI i can't stop the loneliness EX/EX JAPAN 7K-126 US $12.99 Buy It Now 44m 46s
13-0619-072 | H2O can't get off the phone VG/VG USA OR-2 US $17.99 Buy It Now 45m 1s
Marie Osmond - I Can Do This [CD New] US $7.98 Buy It Now 46m 55s
Donovan Carless - How Can I Tell Her/Big M Band VERSION vintage vinyl 1974 regga US $5.99 [0 bids]
47m 22s
AL MARTINO Can't Help Falling In Love LP Record 1970 US $1.99 [0 bids]
47m 27s
R, KELLY I BELIEVE I CAN FLY (GRAMMY NOMINATION CD PROMO /2 VERSION) JDJ-4511-2 US $9.99 Buy It Now 48m 37s
Gino Soccio - Remember b/w Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait - Reissue 12" Single US $49.99 [0 bids]
48m 42s
Louis Armstrong JAZZ 45 (Avco PROMO 4562) You Can Have Her/Miller's Cave VG+ US $5.95 Buy It Now 49m 36s
BEATLES 7/45 : CAN'T BUY ME LOVE (CHILE) US $39.23 [6 bids]
50m 19s
Twenty 4 Seven Ft Capt. Hollywood-I Can't Stand It! 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 50m 19s
LONGSTOCKING - WILL YOU STAY?, SOMETHING ELSE I CAN NEVER CHANGE 7" 45 EP US $3.74 Buy It Now 50m 50s
Toutes Les Filles - That's What Love Can Do 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 51m 9s
Themes 2008 'I Can'T Make You Believe' Rare Alt-Rock 7" Single - AUTOGRAPHED US $6.00 [0 bids]
51m 44s
BEATLES 7/45 : CAN'T BUY ME LOVE (DENMARK) US $22.11 [5 bids]
53m 23s
Stretch Thomas As Long As I Can Play Promotional Soul 45 Rpm Vintage 1973 US $34.99 Buy It Now 53m 23s
Taz (6) - Can't Contain Me 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 53m 51s
Piper ?- Can't Wait - A & M Records Vinyl LP - Promo - 1977 - Billy Squier - NM- US $9.99 [0 bids]
54m 19s
Taylor Dayne - Can't Get Enough Of Your Love 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 54m 34s
BEATLES 7/45 : CAN'T BUY ME LOVE (FINLAND) US $7.47 [1 bids]
55m 40s
TAMMY WYNETTE TIL I CAN MAKE IT ON MY OWN PROMOTIONAL 45 RPM RECORD 1976 US $14.99 Buy It Now 56m 10s
TAMMY WYNETTE WE SURE CAN LOVE EACH OTHER PROMO 45 RPM PHONO RECORD US $14.99 Buy It Now 56m 13s
45 Record THE FOUR ACES - IF YOU CAN DREAM - NM US $5.99 Buy It Now 56m 36s
The Soul Sisters .''I Can't Stand It '' Northern Soul ,Sue records Rare. US $55.00 [1 bids]
56m 54s
Tanya Tucker 3 CD Lot - Can't Run From Myself What Do I Do With Me Fire to Fire US $5.99 [0 bids]
57m 18s
Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam with Full Force Self-Titled LP - Can You Feel the Beat US $3.49 [0 bids]
57m 47s
Heavy Weather Love Can't Turn Around (Promo) 12" Pukka US $12.59 Buy It Now 57m 56s
DILATED PEOPLES 20/20 YOU CAN'T HIDE YOU CAN'T RUN TALIB KWELI VINYL US $14.99 [0 bids]
57m 57s
Bill Phillips Same Old Story/You Can't Love Me 45 RPM US $7.00 Buy It Now 58m 46s
BEATLES 7/45 : CAN'T BUY ME LOVE (FRANCE) US $16.95 [3 bids]
59m 4s
Mama's And The Papa's: "If You Can Believe Your Eyes And Ears" Lp ST-90797 US $2.99 [0 bids]
59m 35s
HUMMINGBIRD we can't go on meeting like this EX/VG USA SP-4595 | 14-0114-033 US $23.99 Buy It Now 1h
HUMMINGBIRD we can't go on meeting like this VG/VG USA SP-4595 | 14-0117-024 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h
No One Can Ever Know - Twilight Sad (2012, CD New) US $8.09 Buy It Now 1h
Russ David JAZZ 45 (Norman 516) Gaslight Shuffle/Can't We Talk It Over US $6.95 Buy It Now 1h
BEATLES 7/45 : CAN'T BUY ME LOVE (HOLLAND) US $13.12 [2 bids]
1h
Edward R Murrow I CAN HEAR IT NOW 1919-49 3 lp rare US $25.99 Buy It Now 1h
THE LAYMEN QUARTET ( SOMETHING YOU CAN FEEL ) OHIO GOSPEL GROUP LP US $1.49 Buy It Now 1h 2m
The Contours Can You Jerk Like Me 45 Rpm Record Vintage Gordy Label US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
BEATLES 7/45 : CAN'T BUY ME LOVE (INDIA) US $13.22 [3 bids]
The Del-Tones You Can Be My Rockin Chair 45 Rpm Record Ace Label US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Ray LaMontagne - Can I Stay - 2006 U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $10.97 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Ted Nugent - If You Can't Lick 'Em... Lick 'Em LP US $11.35 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Belinda Carlisle [from the Go-Go's] Circle In The Sand / We Can Change 7" 45 RPM US $4.00 [0 bids]
R.W. Blackwood & The Blackwood Singers WE CAN FEEL LOVE Capitol ST-11563 Sealed US $17.95 Buy It Now 1h 5m
BEATLES 7/45 : CAN'T BUY ME LOVE (ITALY) US $15.27 [2 bids]
Masters At Work Featuring India I Can't Get No Sleep PROMO COPY RARE US $20.00 [0 bids]
James Phelps-I'll Do The Best I Can-Rare Northern Soul 45-Argo-VSVG+ HEAR US $7.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES 7/45 : CAN'T BUY ME LOVE (USA) (GREEN VINYL) US $27.09 [7 bids]
Glitch Mob Drink The Sea MARBLE VINYL 2x LP & We Can Make.. 10" Record Store Day US $61.00 [28 bids]
Toward the Within by Dead Can Dance (CD, Oct-1994, 4AD (USA)) US $7.88 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Lisa Gerard Pieter Bourke Dead Can Dance - Human Game -1992 U.S. PROMO cd -RARE! US $9.97 Buy It Now 1h 10m
BEATLES 7/45 : CAN'T BUY ME LOVE (GERMANY) US $7.47 [0 bids]
The New Colony Six Can't You See Me Cry 45 Rpm Record US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
WILLIAM TELL - You Can Hold Me Down 2007 CD US $0.01 [0 bids]
WAR - WHY CAN'T WE BE FRIENDS - 45rpm - (54.90) US $1.99 [0 bids]
1940s HOAGY CARMICHAEL "i don't know why/I can't get started" 78 ARA RECORDS US $4.00 [0 bids]
Redeemed - HE HAS MADE EVERYTHING BEAUTIFUL Watering Can ~Big and Beautiful! US $13.97 [0 bids]
VINYL 45 & Picture Sleeve Four Tops - Just Seven Numbers (Can Straighten Out My US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Cannibalism 1 ratings distribution

CAN Cannibalism 1 reviews

Review by Trotsky
2 stars Sometimes I feel like the original "anti-Can fan" ... because I really dislike this group's music. Perhaps I'd heard so many good things before I heard this band that I was bound to be disappointed ... but to me Can was a one-dimensional outfit that used monotous drums, blues guitar licks, repetitive bass lines, percussive, hypnotic keyboards and incomprehensible vocals (usual a blurred whisper but occasionally a grating shout) from either Malcolm Mooney or Damo Suzuki to produce dull psychedelic music that doesn't match up to the work of Velvet Underground, Silver Apples or the jam-era Quicksilver Messenger Service, which are three very different bands that Can fleetingly reminds me of.

This compilation covers the period from 1969 to 1974 when Can released six albums, although oddly enough there is no material from 1973's Future Days, widely believed to among Can's best works. Quite a few of the songs have been drastically re-edited like Tago Mago's Halleluwah and Aumgn both of which had more than 10 minutes lopped off the original version. Also worth noting is that the original double LP had 14 songs but Spray and Soul Desert were dropped so that this stuff could be fit on one CD.

As far as I'm concerned this is generally poor music, with hardly any creative moments. A lot of songs like Father Cannot Yell, Soup, Mushroom and Yoo Doo Right are actually painful to have to sit through. Others like Mother Sky and the funky One More Night start off exciting but don't go anywhere. There were only a handful of songs I enjoyed ... the late-night blues of She Brings The Rain, the angry Outside My Door and the quirky Spoon ... although none of them seemed remotely progressive to me.

Ultimately though, I'm quite shocked at the lofty reputation of Can and its individual musicians like drummer Jaki Liebedeit and keyboardist Irmin Schmidt who seem to me to do the same thing all the time. ... 24% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#23305) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 11, 2005

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars This is probably the best available one-stop, single disc introduction to the brightest star in the Krautrock constellation, but the generous rating is strictly for the uninitiated. There isn't anything new here to tempt the already confirmed fan, who at any rate should already own the entire CAN catalogue (and if not, shame on you).

The twelve-track "Cannibalism" compilation spans the first (and best) six albums released by the band between 1969 and 1974 (actually only five albums are represented: the instrumental "Spray", off "Future Days", didn't make the transition from vinyl to CD). The disc begins and ends with the first and last tracks from their debut album "Monster Movie" - a nice gesture to symmetry, but in between all bets are off. I won't attempt to describe all the varieties of style on display here; it's enough to say the twelve selected tracks could almost be the work of (at least) six different bands, united only by the intensity of their collective vision and their commitment to uninhibited musical exploration.

The music of CAN was first and foremost a 1960s phenomenon, but not the now horribly dated Haight-Asbury psychedelic Summer of Love variety. Theirs was a decade of social and political turmoil, reflected here in a 75-minute sampling of sometimes uneasy listening, crude and creative as only the best Krautrock can be. So the gentle, bluesy ballad "She Brings the Rain" follows the ear-bending aural pile driver of "Mother Sky", before leading into the hallucinogenic tribal funk of "Mushroom", and then to the skewed metronome pop precision of "One More Night".

Scattered in between are a few listener-friendly excerpts from their more free-form outer limit improvisations, drastically abbreviated from their original album versions, and sounding a little lost when taken out of context. The epic 18+ minute "Halleluwah" suffers most, with a mere five minute extract giving no clues to the accumulative power of the "Tago Mago" album jam, which filled an entire side of vinyl.

Wisely, the monumental "Yoo Doo Right" (from the aptly titled "Monster Movie" album) was left intact. This is CAN at their primitive, embryonic best, and it's the perfect litmus test for new listeners undecided about exploring the band in depth. If you can handle a repetitive two-note bass riff for twenty (yes, twenty) minutes, layered with jungle percussion and hair-curling, distorted electric guitar, and topped off by a typically raw, unconventional vocal performance by Malcolm Mooney (turning a girlfriend's letter into a schizophrenic rant), then you might be ready to enter the greater brotherhood of true CAN fandom.

This compilation in no way replaces or even supplements the original albums. Try it as a sampler, and if sufficiently intrigued by all means continue on to the unabridged albums, if you dare.

[One quick note: this entire CD is also included in the two-disc "Can Anthology" collection, an even better bargain for curious newcomers, with a much wider range of material and a few non-album rarities for diehard collectors. And a petty complaint: the re-arrangement of tracks here from the original vinyl compilation, together with the removal of two songs to fit it onto a single CD, makes a mess out of the credits, which were never edited to match the changes. So Damo Suzuki does not sing on tracks 4 or 7 as shown (that's Malcolm Mooney); and Mooney doesn't sing on tracks 2, 8, or 14: the first is an instrumental, the second features Suzuki, and there is no track 14. Hopefully the upcoming Spoon Records re-mastered edition will fix the typos.]

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45846) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Review by Seyo
2 stars Now if I am correct, this title seems to be a CD edition of the former double LP "Cannibalism" issued in 1978. I will not repeat what I said about the former, but obviously this album is even less prominent: "because of timelimit the tracks SPRAY and SOUL DESERT of double album CANNIBALISM are missing on this CD". So, all the criticism I expressed in the former review is retained here, and the missing "Spray" makes the album "Future Days" totally unrepresented. In light of subsequent appearance of "Anthology" 2CD collection, "Cannibalism I" CD can hardly be recommended to anyone but fierce completists.

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59764) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 08, 2005

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Am I the only one here who is at least a little bit put off by the label "Krautrock" for this German branch of prog? Oh well.

This collection, as others have noted, is a fine introduction to the band Can. It contains selections from most of their early albums, and gives a pretty good idea of what this band was all about. To me, it seems to have that essence of experimentalism that other bands, like Frank Zappa & The Mothers on "Freak Out", and many British bands, like the Syd Barrett Pink Floyd, Giles, Giles & Fripp, etc. were into a few years previously. This doesn't make it bad. In fact, it's quite listenable, once you get used to it.

The best thing to me is the rhythm section. While none of the musicians here appear to be virtuosos, Jaki Liebezeit's drums and Holger Czukay's bass are intriguing enough to keep my interest.

On the down side, the repetition in the 20-minute plus "Yoo Doo Right" gets downright tedious.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221596) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Post a review of CAN "Cannibalism 1"