CANNIBALISM 1

Krautrock

Can Cannibalism 1 album cover

Buy CAN Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1978

1. Father Cannot Yell (7:05)
2. Soup (3:03)
3. Mother Sky (6:41)
4. She Brings The Rain (4:07)
5. Mushroom (4:31)
6. One More Night (5:37)
7. Outside My Door (4:11)
8. Spoon (3:09)
9. Halleluwah (5:39)
10. Aumgn (7:08)
11. Dizzy Dizzy (3:30)
12. You Doo Right (20:20)

Compilation from CAN Records:

- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards
- Damo Suzuki / vocals on Title No 3.4.7.9.10
- Malcolm Mooney / vocals on Title No 1.2.8.14

Spoon records

and to BaldFriede for the last updates

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Cannibalism 1 Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute U.S. 2008
Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Mute U.S. 2008
Lost TapesLost Tapes
Mute 2012
Can U Show Me, Wiseguy Orchestra, Excellent Single US $1.00 Buy It Now 29m 42s
Rare 45 / Total Feat NOTORIOUS B.I.G. / Can't You See / NM+ / Sean Puffy Combs US $20.00 Buy It Now 31m 34s
Lynn Anderson vinyl lp lot of 4 How Can I Unlove+Cry+Outlaw+Stay There VG US $9.89 [0 bids]
32m 34s
You Can't Go Home Again / Disavowed / Treach Beat, DJ Shadow, Excellent Single US $1.00 Buy It Now 33m 43s
COREY HART:CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE...1986 SINGLE EMI PICTURE/POSTER SLEEVE US $3.50 Buy It Now 33m 58s
Frank Zappa LP - You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore SAMPLER NM- album vinyl US $24.95 [0 bids]
34m
Connie Francis "Jealous Heart/Can I Rely on You" MGM K 13420 US $0.99 [0 bids]
34m 30s
Desperate Men. Original Concept Can You Feel It Production US $7.50 Buy It Now 35m 21s
Youth Of Today can`t close my eyes LP hardcore straight edge US $21.99 Buy It Now 35m 28s
HARRY ROY & ORCHESTRA Why Can't We Make Love 78 PARLOPHONE F807 US $21.62 Buy It Now 36m 3s
Can't Stop Singing, Various Artists, Excellent US $1.00 Buy It Now 37m 3s
Dead Can Dance - Anastasis CD US $16.00 Buy It Now 37m 10s
The Judds Love Can Build A Bridge (1990) CD US $5.95 Buy It Now 37m 13s
GLORIA ESTEFAN " CAN`T STAY AWAY FROM YOU " MINT COND.IN Or.SL. US $6.48 Buy It Now 37m 39s
Why Can't U Free Some Time [UK Import - CD 3 track single], Armand Van Helden, US $1.00 Buy It Now 37m 42s
GLORIA ESTEFAN UK 1988 DREAMY POSE PS 7" Single Can't Stay Away From You DiscNEW US $4.98 Buy It Now 37m 56s
2 CD CHARLIE FEATHERS " CAN'T HARDLY STAND IT " ROCKABILLY US $26.00 Buy It Now 38m 38s
DJ Morpheus - I Can't Live Without My Radio (Mixed by , 2006 CD FAST POST US $14.96 Buy It Now 39m 45s
STEVE HARLEY AND COCKNEY REBEL " I CAN`T EVEN TOUCH YOU " EX+ COND.IN Or.PIC SL. US $6.48 Buy It Now 39m 51s
STEVE WINWOOD USA 1988 DIFFERENT 7" Single Don't You Know What The Night Can Do US $4.14 Buy It Now 40m 1s
Bee Gees - Life In A Tin Can - RARE IMPORT Germany LP LISTEN Great Pop-Psych US $12.34 Buy It Now 41m 13s
HOLLY JOHNSON "DREAMS THAT MONEY CANīT BUY", LP, 1991, RARE! US $24.99 Buy It Now 41m 19s
Loud with the Windows Open So the Neighbors Can Hear, Windfall, Excellent US $1.00 Buy It Now 41m 54s
THE DAVE CLARK FIVE "CATCH US IF YOU CAN", 7" SINGLE, 1965, DANISH PRESS, RARE! US $24.99 Buy It Now 42m 58s
THE MAMAīS AND THE PAPAīS "IF YOU CAN BELIEVE YOUR EYES AND EARS" LP DANISH RARE US $35.99 Buy It Now 42m 59s
CHESS R&B rocker 45 CHUCK BERRY - You Never Can Tell + Brenda Lee US $6.00 [4 bids]
43m 7s
Light of the World Capitol 5193 I Can't Stop US $7.20 Buy It Now 43m 54s
FACES & ROD STEWART / YOU CAN MAKE ME DANCE SING OR ANYTHING / 1974 7" EX US $4.98 Buy It Now 44m 24s
RONNIE SPECTOR(RONETTES) "WHO CAN SLEEP/WHEN WE DANCED" COLUMBIA 45 *M-* PIC.SLV US $5.99 [0 bids]
44m 34s
THE FREE MOVEMENT - I can't covince my heart - USA Decca Label 7" single US $49.92 Buy It Now 46m 6s
THE ROLLING STONES (I can't get no) Satisfaction 7" Vinyl Single DECCA F12220 US $19.96 Buy It Now 46m 16s
Can't Stay Away [PA] by Too $hort (CD, Jul-1999, Jive (USA)) US $1.00 [0 bids]
47m 24s
ROCKETS Michigan rock dj 45 CAN'T SLEEP mono / stereo ~ RSO VG++ US $2.92 Buy It Now 47m 43s
THE Mamas and The Papas If You Can Believe 180g vinyl LP SEALED FREE SHIPPING US $39.90 Buy It Now 48m 33s
Susie Allanson - Words / We Can Make It Up To Each Other 45 rpm 1979 US $2.25 Buy It Now 49m 2s
All the Hype That Money Can Buy US $0.99 Buy It Now 49m 27s
SHEENA EASTON USA 1991 12" Single YOU CAN SWING IT US $7.47 Buy It Now 50m 44s
Tony Bennett Who Can I Turn To (4352) Columbia (1964) CL 2285 - 12" LP VG/VG(+) US $14.96 Buy It Now 50m 58s
The Heat Can Melt Your Brain US $4.09 Buy It Now 54m 26s
Only God Can Judge Me. 724384867126 US $4.09 Buy It Now 54m 33s
The Vamps - Can We Dance - 3753693 US $7.14 Buy It Now 56m 26s
MICHAEL BOLTON UK 1990 CD Single HOW CAN WE BE LOVERS Part2 DiscMINT US $6.64 Buy It Now 56m 37s
Saint Tropez BELLE DE JOUR Butterfly 016 GF Gray/pink swirl vinyl Can.imp. NM- US $29.95 Buy It Now 57m 16s
Sebastian And House Rockers - Nobody Can Do Dog Like I Do - Colt 45 US $33.29 Buy It Now 57m 18s
MICHAEL BOLTON UK 1995 PROMO CD Single CAN I TOUCH YOU ..THERE DiscMINT US $4.58 Buy It Now 57m 42s
TAMIKO JONES "CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOUR LOVE" RARE SOUL 12 INCH PROMO SINGLE US $35.00 [0 bids]
59m 45s
SUGAR UK 1993 CD Single IF I CAN'T CHANGE YOUR MIND CRESCD149 NearMINT US $4.98 Buy It Now 1h
Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down -- NM Condition US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
RIDE ~ Chelsea Girl / Drive Blind / All I Can See / Close My Eyes~ 12" Single PS US $28.28 Buy It Now 1h 3m
1980 VILLAGE PEOPLE "Can't stop the music " Movie Soundtrack Record Album US $5.99 [0 bids]
TOM JONES Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?/Green G SOVIET MELODIYA BLUE FLEXI MINT US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
MOMENTS-Sexy Mama/Where Can I Find Her UK 7" EX Cond US $13.30 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Chambers Brothers - Time Has Come Today / I Can't Turn You Loose - 7" 45 / VG+ US $5.00 [0 bids]
Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down CD All Night Long Hello Penny Lover Stuck On You US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
YES UK 1984 7" Single IT CAN HAPPEN US $4.98 Buy It Now 1h 8m
SHIGGIES Dale Wright Can It Be 1958 45rpm VG+ US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
THE ESCORTS-Disrespect Can Wreck/THE R.R's-Bam A Lam A Boogie UK 7" EX Cond US $11.64 Buy It Now 1h 9m
ARTHUR PRYSOCK Here's To Good Friends / All I Can Do Is Cry STOCK 45 M- US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
John Denver "How Can I Leave You Again" Rare Oz 7" US $7.45 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Dead Can Dance - Spleen And Ideal US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Dead Can Dance - The Serpent's Egg US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 13m
LENNY KRAVITZ UK 1996 CD Single Can't Get You Off My Mind LIVE TRACKS US $4.14 Buy It Now 1h 13m
HANK CEE I CAN'T GET OVER YOU TWO SIDES TO A STORY 45 RPM US $9.99 [0 bids]
Bryan Adams : Please Forgive Me / Can't Stop This 7 INCH VINYL RECORD EX/EX 005 US $2.81 Buy It Now 1h 16m
THE COASTERS SHE CAN b/w EVERYBODY'S WOMAN POST-ATLANTIC DATE EX COND WLP 45 US $17.50 [0 bids]
TAYLOR DAYNE UK 1993 CD Single CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF YOUR LOVE NearMINT US $4.14 Buy It Now 1h 16m
CLIFF RICHARD Rare UK 1998 CD Single CAN'T KEEP THIS FEELING IN Part2 NearMINT US $8.31 Buy It Now 1h 17m
GALE EASON-I CAN SEE THE HURT (WHERE DO WE GO FROM EPIC 11124 STEREO/MONO NM 45 US $19.98 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Juice Newton - Can't Wait All Night / Restless Heart 45 rpm 1984 US $2.25 Buy It Now 1h 18m
7" PAUL JONES "HIGH TIME / I CAN'T HOLD ON MUCH LONGER " 60'S POP EX US $5.50 Buy It Now 1h 18m
2 SHARON van ETTEN US promo cd Leonard & All I Can Say unique back sleeve US $49.95 [0 bids]
Madonna You Can Dance US LP US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
O. B. McCLINTON Natural Love b/w I Can't Get Over Last Night STOCK 45 M- US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
THE HOLLIES - I CAN'T TELL THE BOTTOM FROM THE TOP - 7" VINYL 1970 PARLOPHONE US $5.81 Buy It Now 1h 22m
IF WE CAN FLY TO THE MOON Anita Kruse & Friends 2001 Purple Records 9/11 US $3.50 [0 bids]
78 RPM RECORD/4A) THE ARMSTRONG TWINS/ HE CAN SAVE YOUR US $2.99 [0 bids]
THE MOCK TURTLES - CAN YOU DIG IT ? - 7" VINYL 1991 SIREN US $9.97 Buy It Now 1h 23m
BLUE PEARL - (Can You) Feel The Passion - 1991 UK 7" US $4.16 Buy It Now 1h 23m
DON JOHNSON Heartbeat / Can't Take Your Memory 45 with PicSleeve MIAMI VICE US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Oh Yes I Can by David Crosby (CD, Jul-2003, One Way Records) US $9.99 [0 bids]
DENIECE WILLIAMS - I CAN'T WAIT - 7" VINYL PICTURE SLEEVE 1988 CBS US $10.80 Buy It Now 1h 24m
GEORDIE (AC/DC) - Can You Do It 1973 RARE BRAZIL 7" 45 Single PROMO US $24.50 Buy It Now 1h 24m
YOU CAN WAKE UP WITH ME/ONE LIFE TO.. JENNIFER ROMEO ? US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Mary Kaye Trio "You Can't Be True Dear" b/w "Because Of You" 7" Single 1959 pop US $0.99 [0 bids]
45 RPM record - Brook Benton - Nothing Can Take the Place of You - Woman Without US $0.99 [0 bids]
45 RPM record - Johnny Rivers - Love me while you can - Where have all the flowe US $0.99 [0 bids]
The New Faces - We can get there by candlelight US $3.25 [0 bids]
** FREDDIE McGREGOR JAH CAN COUNT ON I LITTLE ROY NEXT CUT HEAVYWEIGHT DUB!! US $11.22 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Pet Shop Boys - Can You Forgive Her 3 mixes - UK CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Marillion No One Can PICTURE DIS Uk 12" US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
JOE COCKER " LUXURY YOU CAN AFFORD " 8 TRACK TAPE CARTRIDGE US $3.00 [0 bids]
MODERN SOUL 2/STEP 45 A TOUCH OF BLUE "You Can Make Me Happy"RARE;UK US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Jodie Sands - With all my heart/(Can't we be) More than only friends US $4.99 [0 bids]
BUZZY LINHART Pussycats Can Go Far LP Fred Neil John Sebastian Ochs Atlantic '74 US $11.65 Buy It Now 1h 31m
ANYONE CAN DANCE - NIGHT CLUB FREESTYLE !! US $3.75 Buy It Now 1h 32m
DAVID MAHLER - DAVID MAHLER: ONLY MUSIC CAN SAVE ME NOW - NEW CD US $15.03 Buy It Now 1h 33m
You Can't Stop the Bum Rush [Japan Bonus Track] by Len (CD, Jul-1999, Sony) US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Brenda Lee (1961 VG+) "You Can Depend On Me/It's Never Too Late" Decca # 31231.. US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Barry White 45 "Honey Please, Can't Ya See" (vocal/instrumental) US $5.24 Buy It Now 1h 33m
promo single bobbie cryner mca 1995 i just can`t stand to be unhappy US $5.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Cannibalism 1 ratings distribution

CAN Cannibalism 1 reviews

Review by Trotsky
2 stars Sometimes I feel like the original "anti-Can fan" ... because I really dislike this group's music. Perhaps I'd heard so many good things before I heard this band that I was bound to be disappointed ... but to me Can was a one-dimensional outfit that used monotous drums, blues guitar licks, repetitive bass lines, percussive, hypnotic keyboards and incomprehensible vocals (usual a blurred whisper but occasionally a grating shout) from either Malcolm Mooney or Damo Suzuki to produce dull psychedelic music that doesn't match up to the work of Velvet Underground, Silver Apples or the jam-era Quicksilver Messenger Service, which are three very different bands that Can fleetingly reminds me of.

This compilation covers the period from 1969 to 1974 when Can released six albums, although oddly enough there is no material from 1973's Future Days, widely believed to among Can's best works. Quite a few of the songs have been drastically re-edited like Tago Mago's Halleluwah and Aumgn both of which had more than 10 minutes lopped off the original version. Also worth noting is that the original double LP had 14 songs but Spray and Soul Desert were dropped so that this stuff could be fit on one CD.

As far as I'm concerned this is generally poor music, with hardly any creative moments. A lot of songs like Father Cannot Yell, Soup, Mushroom and Yoo Doo Right are actually painful to have to sit through. Others like Mother Sky and the funky One More Night start off exciting but don't go anywhere. There were only a handful of songs I enjoyed ... the late-night blues of She Brings The Rain, the angry Outside My Door and the quirky Spoon ... although none of them seemed remotely progressive to me.

Ultimately though, I'm quite shocked at the lofty reputation of Can and its individual musicians like drummer Jaki Liebedeit and keyboardist Irmin Schmidt who seem to me to do the same thing all the time. ... 24% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#23305) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 11, 2005

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars This is probably the best available one-stop, single disc introduction to the brightest star in the Krautrock constellation, but the generous rating is strictly for the uninitiated. There isn't anything new here to tempt the already confirmed fan, who at any rate should already own the entire CAN catalogue (and if not, shame on you).

The twelve-track "Cannibalism" compilation spans the first (and best) six albums released by the band between 1969 and 1974 (actually only five albums are represented: the instrumental "Spray", off "Future Days", didn't make the transition from vinyl to CD). The disc begins and ends with the first and last tracks from their debut album "Monster Movie" - a nice gesture to symmetry, but in between all bets are off. I won't attempt to describe all the varieties of style on display here; it's enough to say the twelve selected tracks could almost be the work of (at least) six different bands, united only by the intensity of their collective vision and their commitment to uninhibited musical exploration.

The music of CAN was first and foremost a 1960s phenomenon, but not the now horribly dated Haight-Asbury psychedelic Summer of Love variety. Theirs was a decade of social and political turmoil, reflected here in a 75-minute sampling of sometimes uneasy listening, crude and creative as only the best Krautrock can be. So the gentle, bluesy ballad "She Brings the Rain" follows the ear-bending aural pile driver of "Mother Sky", before leading into the hallucinogenic tribal funk of "Mushroom", and then to the skewed metronome pop precision of "One More Night".

Scattered in between are a few listener-friendly excerpts from their more free-form outer limit improvisations, drastically abbreviated from their original album versions, and sounding a little lost when taken out of context. The epic 18+ minute "Halleluwah" suffers most, with a mere five minute extract giving no clues to the accumulative power of the "Tago Mago" album jam, which filled an entire side of vinyl.

Wisely, the monumental "Yoo Doo Right" (from the aptly titled "Monster Movie" album) was left intact. This is CAN at their primitive, embryonic best, and it's the perfect litmus test for new listeners undecided about exploring the band in depth. If you can handle a repetitive two-note bass riff for twenty (yes, twenty) minutes, layered with jungle percussion and hair-curling, distorted electric guitar, and topped off by a typically raw, unconventional vocal performance by Malcolm Mooney (turning a girlfriend's letter into a schizophrenic rant), then you might be ready to enter the greater brotherhood of true CAN fandom.

This compilation in no way replaces or even supplements the original albums. Try it as a sampler, and if sufficiently intrigued by all means continue on to the unabridged albums, if you dare.

[One quick note: this entire CD is also included in the two-disc "Can Anthology" collection, an even better bargain for curious newcomers, with a much wider range of material and a few non-album rarities for diehard collectors. And a petty complaint: the re-arrangement of tracks here from the original vinyl compilation, together with the removal of two songs to fit it onto a single CD, makes a mess out of the credits, which were never edited to match the changes. So Damo Suzuki does not sing on tracks 4 or 7 as shown (that's Malcolm Mooney); and Mooney doesn't sing on tracks 2, 8, or 14: the first is an instrumental, the second features Suzuki, and there is no track 14. Hopefully the upcoming Spoon Records re-mastered edition will fix the typos.]

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45846) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Review by Seyo
2 stars Now if I am correct, this title seems to be a CD edition of the former double LP "Cannibalism" issued in 1978. I will not repeat what I said about the former, but obviously this album is even less prominent: "because of timelimit the tracks SPRAY and SOUL DESERT of double album CANNIBALISM are missing on this CD". So, all the criticism I expressed in the former review is retained here, and the missing "Spray" makes the album "Future Days" totally unrepresented. In light of subsequent appearance of "Anthology" 2CD collection, "Cannibalism I" CD can hardly be recommended to anyone but fierce completists.

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59764) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 08, 2005

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Am I the only one here who is at least a little bit put off by the label "Krautrock" for this German branch of prog? Oh well.

This collection, as others have noted, is a fine introduction to the band Can. It contains selections from most of their early albums, and gives a pretty good idea of what this band was all about. To me, it seems to have that essence of experimentalism that other bands, like Frank Zappa & The Mothers on "Freak Out", and many British bands, like the Syd Barrett Pink Floyd, Giles, Giles & Fripp, etc. were into a few years previously. This doesn't make it bad. In fact, it's quite listenable, once you get used to it.

The best thing to me is the rhythm section. While none of the musicians here appear to be virtuosos, Jaki Liebezeit's drums and Holger Czukay's bass are intriguing enough to keep my interest.

On the down side, the repetition in the 20-minute plus "Yoo Doo Right" gets downright tedious.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221596) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Post a review of CAN "Cannibalism 1"