CANNIBALISM 1

Krautrock

Can Cannibalism 1 album cover

Buy CAN Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1978

1. Father Cannot Yell (7:05)
2. Soup (3:03)
3. Mother Sky (6:41)
4. She Brings The Rain (4:07)
5. Mushroom (4:31)
6. One More Night (5:37)
7. Outside My Door (4:11)
8. Spoon (3:09)
9. Halleluwah (5:39)
10. Aumgn (7:08)
11. Dizzy Dizzy (3:30)
12. You Doo Right (20:20)

Compilation from CAN Records:

- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards
- Damo Suzuki / vocals on Title No 3.4.7.9.10
- Malcolm Mooney / vocals on Title No 1.2.8.14

Spoon records

and to BaldFriede for the last updates

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Cannibalism 1 Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute 2008
Saw DelightSaw Delight
Vinyl$18.49
MICHAEL JACKSON / PAUL MCCARTNEY the girl is mine / can't get outa the rain US $16.50 Buy It Now 29m 46s
RUSS BALLARD some kinda hurricane 7" b/w you can do voodoo (sepc4985) uk epic 19 US $8.40 Buy It Now 30m
VINYL 45 VAN HALEN *WHY CAN'T THIS BE LOVE* w/PS `86 POP/ROCK M- US $8.99 Buy It Now 30m 13s
ELVIN BISHOP GROUP - I Just Can't Go On (Promo) US $8.00 Buy It Now 31m 24s
ADVENTURERS COLUMBIA 8547 CAN'T STOP TWISTIN' VG ST US $20.00 Buy It Now 32m 1s
MAMADO+SHE-CAN WE TAKE YOU HIGHER-RARE 4T REMIX PROMO CD-HOUSE-Sly+Family Stone US $3.00 Buy It Now 32m 17s
ILL NINO-HOW CAN I LIVE-RARE U.S. PROMO CD SINGLE-EDIT/LP-METAL-Freddy vs Jason US $3.00 Buy It Now 32m 17s
Bobby Vinton 45 Every Day Of My Life b/w You Can Do It To Me Anytime Epic 10822 US $5.00 [0 bids]
32m 52s
Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head - UK 4 Trk Enh.CD Single 2001 [CD1] US $3.19 Buy It Now 34m 1s
BOSTON Can'tcha Say / Cool The Engines 45 with PicSleeve US $4.99 Buy It Now 34m 11s
(LP) MADONNA - You Can Dance / Gold Stamp PROMO / VG+/VG+ US $19.99 Buy It Now 34m 47s
WU-TANG CLAN CAN IT BE ALL SO SIMPLE LOUD RECORDS Vinyl Record US $19.99 Buy It Now 35m 5s
BETTY ADAMS SEE ME THROUGH / HOW CAN I DO WITHOUT YOU NORTHERN SOUL 45 RPM US $5.99 [0 bids]
35m 37s
Jimi Hendrix RARE VINYL RECORD ALBUM Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window? L@@K US $29.00 [0 bids]
35m 38s
HELL CAN BE HEAVEN ORIGINAL CAST RECORDING 1983 SEALED LP Hereward K NICKY FURRE US $10.36 Buy It Now 36m 14s
OZZY OSBOURNE BLACK RAIN Japan CD sealed bonus tracks I Can't Save You,Nightmare US $49.99 Buy It Now 36m 18s
marv johsnon 45 how can we tell him soul 60s record US $9.99 Buy It Now 36m 20s
Can You Do It Geordie CD US $34.57 Buy It Now 36m 31s
GEORGE JONES**WALLS CAN FALL**CD US $4.77 Buy It Now 36m 42s
Shirley Bassey 45 Goldfinger b/w Strange How Love Can Be UA 790 US $5.00 [0 bids]
36m 54s
RICHARD ROGERS can't stop LP and 12" US $12.83 Buy It Now 37m 4s
1965 The Browns, You Can't Grow Peaches On A Cherry Tree, RCA Victor 47-8603 US $0.99 [0 bids]
37m 28s
PEGGY MARCH: Can't Stop Thinkin' About Him (soul vinyl 45) US $25.00 Buy It Now 37m 33s
VARIOUS**PHANTOM OF THE OPERA**CAN.**CD US $15.95 Buy It Now 38m
Bones Farm m- mono / stereo 7 If You Can't be My Woman / same US $4.49 Buy It Now 38m 6s
WILLIE CLAYTON: Can I Change My Mind / Stay (soul vinyl 12) US $25.00 Buy It Now 38m 8s
INTERNES: What Can I Do For Jesus / I've Been In The Storm 45 Black Gospel US $25.00 Buy It Now 38m 17s
SING BARNABAS - YOU CAN BE BARNABAS - the CD -2001, Songs of International 20trx US $9.99 Buy It Now 38m 21s
Daniel Gilbert - Nowadays Daniel Can't Even Sing NEW CD US $18.42 Buy It Now 38m 21s
NOS SYLVESTER ............. CAN'T STOP DANCING US $5.00 Buy It Now 39m 32s
the cranberries - i can't be with you cd single US $9.00 Buy It Now 40m 11s
Bear Hands - What a Drag b/w Can I Stick 'em 7" new sealed US $6.99 Buy It Now 40m 39s
50,000,000 ELVIS FANS CAN'T BE WRONG RCA LSP-2075(e) GOLD LABEL US $7.95 Buy It Now 40m 46s
BEN E. KING: I Can't Take It Like A Man (soul vinyl 45) US $25.00 Buy It Now 41m 29s
FATS DOMINO - POOR ME // I CAN'T GO ON - MAROON IMPERIAL ORIGINAL VG US $4.99 Buy It Now 41m 37s
1977 Yvonne Elliman, If I Can't Have You, RSO #RS 884, 45 RPM, VG+ US $0.99 [0 bids]
42m 3s
BOSTON I Need Your Love / We Can Make It 45 from 1994 US $4.99 Buy It Now 42m 11s
The Showmen: No Trespassing / I Love You Can't You See 45 - Carolina Soul Beach US $5.60 Buy It Now 42m 47s
The Mob: I Can't Stop This Love Song 45 - Soul US $5.60 Buy It Now 42m 47s
LAURA MARLING**I SPEAK BECAUSE I CAN**CD US $14.85 Buy It Now 44m
Music You Can Believe In Christian Music CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
44m 1s
NATHAN SALSBURG**HARD FOR TO WIN AND CAN'T BE WON (WITH DOWNLOAD)**VINYL US $13.95 Buy It Now 44m 23s
BRYAN POPIN**YOU CAN MAKE IT**CD US $10.50 Buy It Now 45m 26s
MICHAEL JACKSON-EPIC 07253 ROCK 45 IN PICTURE SLV, I JUST CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU US $12.95 Buy It Now 45m 37s
Cole Porters CAN - CAN , FRANK SINATRA, SHIRLEY MAC LAINE SW1301 US $4.00 [0 bids]
45m 53s
Tiffany - All This Time/Can't Stop A Heartbeat, MCA 53371, 45 RPM Record US $1.99 Buy It Now 46m 20s
Elton John - Mama Can't Buy You Love/Three Way Love Affair, MCA 41042, 45 Record US $1.99 Buy It Now 46m 20s
RAE SPOON**I CAN'T KEEP ALL OF OUR SECRETS**CD US $14.85 Buy It Now 46m 27s
A Wound Time Can't Erase-Tears Broke Out On Me-There's Always One-Vinyl Record US $15.00 Buy It Now 47m 31s
78RPM Vocalion 4917 Johnny Hodges, Kitchen Mechanic's Day / U Can Count on Me V US $18.95 Buy It Now 48m
Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now - Epic KE 31607 - FAST SHIPPING!! US $11.95 Buy It Now 48m 4s
The Pretty Things-Honey I Need / I Never Can Say Rare Fruits De Mer Promo New US $13.42 [5 bids]
48m 8s
Columbia 10" 78/H.James/Marion Morgan/Life Can Be Beautiful/Oh, But I Do/VG+/E! US $4.20 Buy It Now 48m 14s
12" House 2001 ARMAND VAN HELDEN why can't you free some time VG+ ZARM18 US $9.00 Buy It Now 48m 32s
Dobie Gray,You can Do It.7" vinyl 45.Infinity label,INF-101.Soul. US $6.33 Buy It Now 48m 50s
45 RECORD NAT STUCKEY: BLUE CHRISTMAS, HOW CAN CHRISTMAS BE MERRY US $4.10 Buy It Now 49m 15s
THELMA LOU: I Can't Seem To Love You Enough (soul vinyl 45) US $30.00 Buy It Now 50m 29s
LENNY WELCH: You Can't Run Away 45 (dj) rare Soul US $45.00 Buy It Now 51m 5s
Howard Jones Things Can Only Get Better Elektra66915 R VG+ C EX (LP-9789) US $9.99 Buy It Now 51m 33s
The Montclairs-Make Up For Lost Time/How Can One Man Live,Paula 45 Northern Soul US $3.99 Buy It Now 52m 8s
VILLAGE PEOPLE Can't Stop The Music Soundtrack LP Record EMI 1980 US $2.89 [0 bids]
53m 12s
Madonna You Can Dance Canada CD 25535 Canadian CD 1990 Remixes Dubs US $7.50 [0 bids]
54m 8s
Can't Slow Down, Lionel Richie, Good US $1.00 Buy It Now 54m 9s
WALT DISNEY you too can be the life of the party LP VG WDL-3001 Record Atencio US $180.00 Buy It Now 54m 16s
JAMES ROBINSON: Can We Do It Again / Same 45 (dj) Soul US $35.00 Buy It Now 54m 24s
I Just Can't Stop It by The English Beat (CD, Oct-1999, London (USA)) US $2.99 Buy It Now 55m 2s
NATHAN SALSBURG**HARD FOR TO WIN AND CAN'T BE WON**CD US $12.50 Buy It Now 55m 4s
STEVIE JACKSON (BELLE AND SEBASTIAN)**I CAN'T GET NO**VINYL US $16.60 Buy It Now 55m 25s
BUG**CAN'T TAKE THIS NO MORE (7 INCH)**VINYL US $13.43 Buy It Now 55m 26s
Joe Cocker - I Can Stand a Little Rain CD US $4.49 Buy It Now 55m 40s
THE COMMUNARDS Red LP Record vinyl 1987 LONLP 39 includes Never Can Say Goodbye US $2.65 [0 bids]
55m 45s
SUZANNE AUBER FRENCH ORCHESTRA Can Can In Stereo LP vintage vinyl record VG US $3.00 Buy It Now 56m 8s
THE MOCK TURTLES TWO SIDES ORIGINAL CD ALBUM INC CAN YOU DIG IT? 1991 SIREN US $7.68 Buy It Now 56m 10s
Elvis Costello- I Can't Stand Up - Rock 45 US $5.99 Buy It Now 57m 8s
JIMMY YOUNG HOW CAN I LEAVE YOU & TOO YOUNG POLYGON P1013 US $3.61 Buy It Now 57m 16s
BETTY CARTER LP [2] JAZZ WHAT A LITTLE MOONLIGHT CAN DO US $8.07 Buy It Now 57m 27s
VAN HALEN: Why Can't This Be Love/Get Up US $1.79 Buy It Now 58m 54s
Far As I Can See - Schofield,Matt US $12.30 Buy It Now 59m 18s
Gunhill Road 45 We Can't Ride The Roller Coaster Anymore/Back When My Hair US $9.99 Buy It Now 59m 40s
(EN682) The Nurses, Can't Smile Without You - DJ CD US $4.79 Buy It Now 1h
Merle Haggard LP Mint Never Opened In Shrink 1977 Original Working Man Can't Get US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h
Sofa Surfers - Can I Get A Witness - Thievery Corp Remix - 12" Vinyl LP Record US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h
MODERN TALKING/ YOU CAN WIN IF YOU WANT SPANISH ORIGINAL ISSUE SPECIAL REMIX 7" US $15.95 [0 bids]
1h
EDDIE RABBITT * 45 * You Can't Run From Love * 1982 #1 * UNPLAYED MINT* DJ PROMO US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h
Gang Green Can't Live Without It Cassette Tape rare SSD Jerrys Kids hardcore US $2.49 [0 bids]
45 RECORD GRANT GREEN: NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE, DOES ANYBODY REALLY KNOW US $7.48 Buy It Now 1h 2m
JOHNNY WHITAKER--PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY--(EVERY LITTLE BOY CAN BE PRESIDENT)--PS-- US $17.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Beggars Opera - Beggars Can't Be Choosers [CD New] US $18.95 Buy It Now 1h 4m
L.A. Sway - I Can't Wait (199x) (RARE) (HTF) OOP (PROMO) (INDIE) R US $999.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
QUEENSRYCHE best I can Spain Promo 7" single 45 US $18.00 [0 bids]
8 track tape, Lighthouse, Can you feel it US $2.50 Buy It Now 1h 6m
BILLY JOEL *YOU CAN MAKE ME FREE* 7''1972 UNIQUE SLEEVE NM US $15.00 [0 bids]
MYSTERY JETS you can't fool me dennis UK 7" 45 different sleeve 3 US $2.00 [0 bids]
MYSTERY JETS you can't fool me dennis UK 7" 45 different sleeve US $2.00 [0 bids]
MCA-5780 SPARKS Music That You Can Dance To OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $9.99 [0 bids]
Bee Gees - How Deep Is Your Love/Can't Keep a Good Man Down, 45 rpm single US $5.75 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Golden Years/Can You Hear Me, RCA PB-10441 45 rpm single US $5.75 [0 bids]
Donna Summer - I Feel Love/Can't We Just Sit Down 45 rpm single US $5.75 [0 bids]
Paper Lace - The Night Chicago Died/Can You Get It When You Want 45 rpm single US $5.75 [0 bids]

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Cannibalism 1 ratings distribution

CAN Cannibalism 1 reviews

Review by Trotsky
2 stars Sometimes I feel like the original "anti-Can fan" ... because I really dislike this group's music. Perhaps I'd heard so many good things before I heard this band that I was bound to be disappointed ... but to me Can was a one-dimensional outfit that used monotous drums, blues guitar licks, repetitive bass lines, percussive, hypnotic keyboards and incomprehensible vocals (usual a blurred whisper but occasionally a grating shout) from either Malcolm Mooney or Damo Suzuki to produce dull psychedelic music that doesn't match up to the work of Velvet Underground, Silver Apples or the jam-era Quicksilver Messenger Service, which are three very different bands that Can fleetingly reminds me of.

This compilation covers the period from 1969 to 1974 when Can released six albums, although oddly enough there is no material from 1973's Future Days, widely believed to among Can's best works. Quite a few of the songs have been drastically re-edited like Tago Mago's Halleluwah and Aumgn both of which had more than 10 minutes lopped off the original version. Also worth noting is that the original double LP had 14 songs but Spray and Soul Desert were dropped so that this stuff could be fit on one CD.

As far as I'm concerned this is generally poor music, with hardly any creative moments. A lot of songs like Father Cannot Yell, Soup, Mushroom and Yoo Doo Right are actually painful to have to sit through. Others like Mother Sky and the funky One More Night start off exciting but don't go anywhere. There were only a handful of songs I enjoyed ... the late-night blues of She Brings The Rain, the angry Outside My Door and the quirky Spoon ... although none of them seemed remotely progressive to me.

Ultimately though, I'm quite shocked at the lofty reputation of Can and its individual musicians like drummer Jaki Liebedeit and keyboardist Irmin Schmidt who seem to me to do the same thing all the time. ... 24% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#23305) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 11, 2005

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars This is probably the best available one-stop, single disc introduction to the brightest star in the Krautrock constellation, but the generous rating is strictly for the uninitiated. There isn't anything new here to tempt the already confirmed fan, who at any rate should already own the entire CAN catalogue (and if not, shame on you).

The twelve-track "Cannibalism" compilation spans the first (and best) six albums released by the band between 1969 and 1974 (actually only five albums are represented: the instrumental "Spray", off "Future Days", didn't make the transition from vinyl to CD). The disc begins and ends with the first and last tracks from their debut album "Monster Movie" - a nice gesture to symmetry, but in between all bets are off. I won't attempt to describe all the varieties of style on display here; it's enough to say the twelve selected tracks could almost be the work of (at least) six different bands, united only by the intensity of their collective vision and their commitment to uninhibited musical exploration.

The music of CAN was first and foremost a 1960s phenomenon, but not the now horribly dated Haight-Asbury psychedelic Summer of Love variety. Theirs was a decade of social and political turmoil, reflected here in a 75-minute sampling of sometimes uneasy listening, crude and creative as only the best Krautrock can be. So the gentle, bluesy ballad "She Brings the Rain" follows the ear-bending aural pile driver of "Mother Sky", before leading into the hallucinogenic tribal funk of "Mushroom", and then to the skewed metronome pop precision of "One More Night".

Scattered in between are a few listener-friendly excerpts from their more free-form outer limit improvisations, drastically abbreviated from their original album versions, and sounding a little lost when taken out of context. The epic 18+ minute "Halleluwah" suffers most, with a mere five minute extract giving no clues to the accumulative power of the "Tago Mago" album jam, which filled an entire side of vinyl.

Wisely, the monumental "Yoo Doo Right" (from the aptly titled "Monster Movie" album) was left intact. This is CAN at their primitive, embryonic best, and it's the perfect litmus test for new listeners undecided about exploring the band in depth. If you can handle a repetitive two-note bass riff for twenty (yes, twenty) minutes, layered with jungle percussion and hair-curling, distorted electric guitar, and topped off by a typically raw, unconventional vocal performance by Malcolm Mooney (turning a girlfriend's letter into a schizophrenic rant), then you might be ready to enter the greater brotherhood of true CAN fandom.

This compilation in no way replaces or even supplements the original albums. Try it as a sampler, and if sufficiently intrigued by all means continue on to the unabridged albums, if you dare.

[One quick note: this entire CD is also included in the two-disc "Can Anthology" collection, an even better bargain for curious newcomers, with a much wider range of material and a few non-album rarities for diehard collectors. And a petty complaint: the re-arrangement of tracks here from the original vinyl compilation, together with the removal of two songs to fit it onto a single CD, makes a mess out of the credits, which were never edited to match the changes. So Damo Suzuki does not sing on tracks 4 or 7 as shown (that's Malcolm Mooney); and Mooney doesn't sing on tracks 2, 8, or 14: the first is an instrumental, the second features Suzuki, and there is no track 14. Hopefully the upcoming Spoon Records re-mastered edition will fix the typos.]

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45846) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Review by Seyo
2 stars Now if I am correct, this title seems to be a CD edition of the former double LP "Cannibalism" issued in 1978. I will not repeat what I said about the former, but obviously this album is even less prominent: "because of timelimit the tracks SPRAY and SOUL DESERT of double album CANNIBALISM are missing on this CD". So, all the criticism I expressed in the former review is retained here, and the missing "Spray" makes the album "Future Days" totally unrepresented. In light of subsequent appearance of "Anthology" 2CD collection, "Cannibalism I" CD can hardly be recommended to anyone but fierce completists.

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59764) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 08, 2005

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Am I the only one here who is at least a little bit put off by the label "Krautrock" for this German branch of prog? Oh well.

This collection, as others have noted, is a fine introduction to the band Can. It contains selections from most of their early albums, and gives a pretty good idea of what this band was all about. To me, it seems to have that essence of experimentalism that other bands, like Frank Zappa & The Mothers on "Freak Out", and many British bands, like the Syd Barrett Pink Floyd, Giles, Giles & Fripp, etc. were into a few years previously. This doesn't make it bad. In fact, it's quite listenable, once you get used to it.

The best thing to me is the rhythm section. While none of the musicians here appear to be virtuosos, Jaki Liebezeit's drums and Holger Czukay's bass are intriguing enough to keep my interest.

On the down side, the repetition in the 20-minute plus "Yoo Doo Right" gets downright tedious.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221596) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Post a review of CAN "Cannibalism 1"