CANNIBALISM 1

Krautrock

Can Cannibalism 1 album cover

Buy CAN Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1978

1. Father Cannot Yell (7:05)
2. Soup (3:03)
3. Mother Sky (6:41)
4. She Brings The Rain (4:07)
5. Mushroom (4:31)
6. One More Night (5:37)
7. Outside My Door (4:11)
8. Spoon (3:09)
9. Halleluwah (5:39)
10. Aumgn (7:08)
11. Dizzy Dizzy (3:30)
12. You Doo Right (20:20)

Compilation from CAN Records:

- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards
- Damo Suzuki / vocals on Title No 3.4.7.9.10
- Malcolm Mooney / vocals on Title No 1.2.8.14

Spoon records

and to BaldFriede for the last updates

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Cannibalism 1 Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute 2008
Saw DelightSaw Delight
Vinyl$18.49
MADONNA YOU CAN DANCE EXCEPTIONAL ORIGINAL 1987 SIRE LP BEAUTIFUL US $2.75 [5 bids]
29m 56s
Faces / Rod Stewart - You Can Make Me Dance Sing Or Anything 7" Vinyl 45 Single US $2.01 Buy It Now 31m 29s
Rock You Can Fly 5016958064822, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $18.91 Buy It Now 32m 42s
SCHASCLE ~ Can't Get Love With Money CD Single ~ 4 track PROMO ~ 19 min. ~ 1991 US $2.99 [0 bids]
33m 10s
k.d. lang ALL YOU CAN EAT 10-Track CD Album 1995 US $1.59 [0 bids]
34m 51s
LIMECELL - IF WE CAN'T CANT ROCK ITS IT'S WAR CD ALBUM US $6.15 Buy It Now 36m 23s
U2 - Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of - UK CD2 US $8.01 Buy It Now 38m 55s
All I Can Be by Collin Raye (CD, Aug-1991, Epic (USA)) US $1.75 [0 bids]
40m 19s
33RPM Vinyl JAZZ RECORD BERNARD PEIFFER Plays Porters Can-Can Laurie LLP1008 VG+ US $19.99 Buy It Now 40m 51s
Jason Falkner - Can You Still Feel? Original LP LOVITT RECORDS BECK NM US $19.99 Buy It Now 40m 54s
REZILLOS - CAN`T STAND THE REZILLOS - 7599269422 US $10.02 Buy It Now 41m 17s
BRAUN RICK - CAN YOU FEEL IT - ART7043 US $19.36 Buy It Now 41m 30s
VILLAGE PEOPLE - CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD 1980 US $4.30 Buy It Now 44m 9s
RAY AGEE-I CAN'T WORK AND WATCH YOU/TOUGH COMPETITION-FAT BACK 101 US $15.41 Buy It Now 44m 22s
SWINGING BLUE JEANS-DON'T MAKE ME OVER/WHAT CAN I DO TODAY-45 RPM 7" US $7.00 Buy It Now 44m 29s
WILLIAM TELL TAYLOR-"RARE TEEN ROCKABILLY"-UH HUH/I CAN'T EVER FREE MY MIND-45 US $26.36 Buy It Now 44m 29s
JOE WALSH (GUITAR) - YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH A SICK MIND - NEW CD US $6.36 Buy It Now 44m 36s
Judy Rodman ~45~ I Can Love You / Come To Me ~ MINT US $5.95 Buy It Now 44m 45s
THE CURE Why Can't I Be You ? song lyrics typography poster art print - A1 A2 A3 US $32.02 Buy It Now 47m 41s
THE CURE Why Can't I Be You ? song lyrics typography poster art print - A1 A2 A3 US $25.60 Buy It Now 47m 41s
THE CURE Why Can't I Be You ? song lyrics typography poster art print - A1 A2 A3 US $22.39 Buy It Now 47m 41s
THE CURE Why Can't I Be You ? song lyrics typography poster art print - A1 A2 A3 US $19.18 Buy It Now 47m 41s
THE CURE Why Can't I Be You ? song lyrics typography poster art print - A1 A2 A3 US $14.37 Buy It Now 47m 41s
Paper Lace The Night Chicago Died b/w Can You Get It When You Want It 1974 US $1.20 [0 bids]
48m 59s
Can't Wait All Night by JUICE NEWTON [1984 Audio Cassette, RCA Records] US $2.95 Buy It Now 49m 54s
STEEL PANTHER: All You Can Eat WHITE DIE HARD LP, lim. 300, Mötley Crue, Poison US $89.99 Buy It Now 51m 26s
IRMIN SCHMIDT Reporter 1989 W. GERMANY CD issue SONOPRESS matrix can US $9.99 [0 bids]
51m 50s
ERIK BURDON AND WAR They Can't Take Away Our Music Danish 45PS 1970 US $22.00 Buy It Now 52m 25s
NORTHERN PAUL ANKA-I CAN'T HELP LOVING YOU plus WHEN WE GET THERE-OOTP-Pressing US $3.19 [0 bids]
53m 14s
elvis presley CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE 1961 VG condition US $8.03 [1 bids]
54m 30s
ARTIST BUCKS FIZZ 7" vinyl record picture sleeve IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT US $7.46 Buy It Now 54m 57s
RED VINYL / NANCY WILSON CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU / J US $29.99 Buy It Now 55m 48s
JAZZY JEFF & FRESH PRINCE Can't Wait To Be With You CD US $4.80 Buy It Now 58m 53s
PROMO LABEL - ETCHED VINYL / COREY HART I CAN'T HELP FA US $79.99 Buy It Now 58m 57s
Diverse(Pop)V.12 Can T Stop the Music,T.Sherman CD US $2.12 Buy It Now 1h
The Right Choice 45 "Tired Of Being Alone / I Can Get You Wet" US $3.49 Buy It Now 1h 2m
DJ HYPE Shot In The Dark 12" I Can't Understand It Suburban Base Danny Breaks 93 US $39.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
THE MAMA'S & THE PAPA'S You Can't Believe Your Eyes EMIDISC VG++/NM! Dutch Press US $10.50 Buy It Now 1h 6m
kd lang All You Can Eat Tour Programme 1996 + MAC cosmetic flyer A4 US $24.08 Buy It Now 1h 6m
The Bachelors No Arms Can Ever Hold You Sheet Music Ex 1960s US $16.05 Buy It Now 1h 6m
TIMOTHY LEARY-YOU CAN BE ANYONE THIS TIME AROUND-NEW LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Astro Can Caravan : Planet Caravan CD (2011) US $22.47 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Eric Burdon & War 45 "Home Cookin' / They Can't Take Away Our Music" US $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Herman's Hermits-I Can Take Or Leave Your Loving UK 7" VG+ Cond US $6.40 Buy It Now 1h 8m
45 RECORD TYRONE DAVIS- CAN I CHANGE MY MIND US $7.19 Buy It Now 1h 8m
BIG BURLEY - Sings I Can't forget thoes JIM REEVES Hits - 1981 UK 10-track LP US $22.86 Buy It Now 1h 9m
THE BEATLES CAN'T BUY ME LOVE 1964 EX condition TOP ORIGNAL COPY US $6.42 [0 bids]
45 RECORD BETTY WRIGHT-GIRLS CAN'T DO WHAT GUYS DO US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
MULDER Don't Give A Damn / Can I Count It Off UK jungle drum bass urban takeover US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Various Artists - You Can't Stop The Beat (CD 2009) US $11.22 Buy It Now 1h 11m
KYLIE MINOGUE - Can't Get You Out Of My Head (UK 4 Trk Enh CD Single Part 1) US $3.68 Buy It Now 1h 11m
THE BEATLES ORIGINAL 1965 SHEETMUSIC WE CAN WORK IT OUT SONGSHEET US $32.09 Buy It Now 1h 13m
ROYAL HOUSE Can You Party? LP aka Todd Terry hip house US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 13m
ARTHUR ADAMS: CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU CHISA 8011 MINT- 45; MOTOWN SUBSIDIARY LABEL US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Michael Jackson - I Just Can't 7" Japan Mega Rare ! US $27.50 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Eddie Rabbitt 45 You Can't Run From Love / You Got Me Now US $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Frankie Valli 45 Our Day Will Come / You Can Bet ~ PS VG++ / VG+ (rock) US $3.75 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Jeannie & Darlings 45 HOW CAN YOU MISTREAT THE ONE / THAT MAN OF MINE~ VG++ r+b US $23.39 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Sandra Simon & Simon Said dj 45 MAMA, CAN YOU MEET THE 6:15 ~ Atco VG++ soul US $4.68 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Ruby & The Romantics 45 DAY DREAMING / YOUNG WINGS CAN FLY ~ VG+ r+b US $6.24 Buy It Now 1h 19m
BILLY SWAN CHOICE CUTS I Can Help Still Thinkin' 'Bout You Lover Please NEW CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
(SOUL 45) ISAAC HAYES - NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE / I CAN'T HELP IT US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Roy Orbison - If you can't say something nice/Crawling back - MGM #13410 US $5.99 [0 bids]
TRINERE-CAN'T STOP THE BEAT US $8.00 [0 bids]
RAINBOW "CAN'T HAPPEN HERE/JEALOUS LOVER" PIC SLEEVE IMPORT POLYDOR POSP 251 45 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Nathalie Archangel - I Can't Reach You / same 45 rpm 1987 NM- Promo US $2.75 Buy It Now 1h 24m
PAUL YOUNG " HEAVEN CAN WAIT " 7" VINYL IN PICTURE SLEEVE 1990 EX/EX US $3.19 Buy It Now 1h 24m
DJ MINK Hey! Hey Can U Relate 12" you The K.i.d & Carruthers warp robert gordon US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 25m
45 Record - Tammy Wynette - We Sure Can Love Each Other/My Man US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Knee Deep Can We Really Do This? 12" Fluential 2000 US $14.43 Buy It Now 1h 27m
The Dovells 45 "You Can't Sit Down / Wildwood Days" US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
BUBBLEROCK / (I CAN'T GET NO) SATISFACTION / 1973 7" GLAM BUBBLEGUM STONES US $4.80 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Lionel Richie Can't Slow Down Cassette Tape 19583 Motown 6059 MC Ritchie Club US $3.99 [0 bids]
1993 - PET SHOP BOYS - Can You Forgive Her - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $14.43 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Paper Lace"The Nigh Chicago Died/Can You Get It Whe You Want It"/45 US $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 29m
REAL THING 7" VINYL CAN'T GET BY WITHOUT YOU (THE SECOND DECADE REMIX) 7P 352 US $3.96 Buy It Now 1h 31m
MARVIN GAYE*ABRAHAM, MARTIN & JOHN*HOW CAN I FORGET*1969*TAMLA MOTOWN 734*VG+ US $8.01 Buy It Now 1h 32m
1983* LINDA HOPKINS LP* HOW BLUE CAN YOU GET PAJ LABEL US $24.50 Buy It Now 1h 33m
CARL CARLTON: You Can't Stop A Man In Love / You Times Me Plus Love (soul 45) US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Ray Parker Jr. I Still Can't Get Over Loving You on 45 US $3.39 Buy It Now 1h 37m
LOU REED:SALLY CAN'T DANCE/ENNUI:(RCA 1974) EX+ US $22.46 Buy It Now 1h 37m
THE THE O'ROARK BROTHERS - Can't We Start Over Again - PROMO on COMSTOCK LABEL US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
MEAT LOAF - HEAVEN CAN WAIT : BEST OF CD MEATLOAF ~ 70's / 80's POP HITS *NEW* US $11.04 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Steely Dan Can't Buy A Thrill - German pressing vinyl near-mint, cover split US $3.50 [2 bids]
Can't stop the music village people sheet music! US $22.01 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Mariah Carey Can't Take That Away US Promo Cd US $25.00 [0 bids]
sheryl crow, what i can do for you, 1995 4 track calendar edition digipack cd US $3.19 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Jimmy Elledge / I miss you already / you can hve her / vinyl 45 record / NM US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Herbert Hunter - SPAR 723 - I Can't Help It b/w Your Cheating Heart - Scarce 45 US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 41m
pat galo Hi-Lads / you can tell her anything / too busy / vinyl 45 record NM US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 41m
johnny paycheck / wherever you are / Can't promise / Little Darlin 0060 US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Conway Twitty How Much More Can She Stand 8 Track untested US $6.39 [0 bids]
2014 Barry White Can't Get Enough LP 180 Gram Audiophile Vinyl BRAND NEW SEALED US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Carl Carlton "Can't Stop A Man In Love" Soul LP Back Beat US $7.99 [0 bids]
Can't Slow Down by Lionel Richie LP US $4.00 [0 bids]
GERALDINE HUNT . CAN'T FAKE THE FEELING 12" SINGLE US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE SHANGRI-LAS I Can Never Go Home Any More / Bull Dog 45 7" 1965 VG+ female US $5.95 [0 bids]
Lionel Ritchie Can't Slow Down Cassette 1983 US $0.99 [0 bids]
DON COVAY-RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE/WE CAN'T MAKE IT NO MORE MERCURY 73648 NM 45 US $10.98 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Players & Hustlers Of The 70's - Can You Dig It? V.1 (Cassette, K-Tel) US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Cannibalism 1 ratings distribution

CAN Cannibalism 1 reviews

Review by Trotsky
2 stars Sometimes I feel like the original "anti-Can fan" ... because I really dislike this group's music. Perhaps I'd heard so many good things before I heard this band that I was bound to be disappointed ... but to me Can was a one-dimensional outfit that used monotous drums, blues guitar licks, repetitive bass lines, percussive, hypnotic keyboards and incomprehensible vocals (usual a blurred whisper but occasionally a grating shout) from either Malcolm Mooney or Damo Suzuki to produce dull psychedelic music that doesn't match up to the work of Velvet Underground, Silver Apples or the jam-era Quicksilver Messenger Service, which are three very different bands that Can fleetingly reminds me of.

This compilation covers the period from 1969 to 1974 when Can released six albums, although oddly enough there is no material from 1973's Future Days, widely believed to among Can's best works. Quite a few of the songs have been drastically re-edited like Tago Mago's Halleluwah and Aumgn both of which had more than 10 minutes lopped off the original version. Also worth noting is that the original double LP had 14 songs but Spray and Soul Desert were dropped so that this stuff could be fit on one CD.

As far as I'm concerned this is generally poor music, with hardly any creative moments. A lot of songs like Father Cannot Yell, Soup, Mushroom and Yoo Doo Right are actually painful to have to sit through. Others like Mother Sky and the funky One More Night start off exciting but don't go anywhere. There were only a handful of songs I enjoyed ... the late-night blues of She Brings The Rain, the angry Outside My Door and the quirky Spoon ... although none of them seemed remotely progressive to me.

Ultimately though, I'm quite shocked at the lofty reputation of Can and its individual musicians like drummer Jaki Liebedeit and keyboardist Irmin Schmidt who seem to me to do the same thing all the time. ... 24% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#23305) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 11, 2005

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars This is probably the best available one-stop, single disc introduction to the brightest star in the Krautrock constellation, but the generous rating is strictly for the uninitiated. There isn't anything new here to tempt the already confirmed fan, who at any rate should already own the entire CAN catalogue (and if not, shame on you).

The twelve-track "Cannibalism" compilation spans the first (and best) six albums released by the band between 1969 and 1974 (actually only five albums are represented: the instrumental "Spray", off "Future Days", didn't make the transition from vinyl to CD). The disc begins and ends with the first and last tracks from their debut album "Monster Movie" - a nice gesture to symmetry, but in between all bets are off. I won't attempt to describe all the varieties of style on display here; it's enough to say the twelve selected tracks could almost be the work of (at least) six different bands, united only by the intensity of their collective vision and their commitment to uninhibited musical exploration.

The music of CAN was first and foremost a 1960s phenomenon, but not the now horribly dated Haight-Asbury psychedelic Summer of Love variety. Theirs was a decade of social and political turmoil, reflected here in a 75-minute sampling of sometimes uneasy listening, crude and creative as only the best Krautrock can be. So the gentle, bluesy ballad "She Brings the Rain" follows the ear-bending aural pile driver of "Mother Sky", before leading into the hallucinogenic tribal funk of "Mushroom", and then to the skewed metronome pop precision of "One More Night".

Scattered in between are a few listener-friendly excerpts from their more free-form outer limit improvisations, drastically abbreviated from their original album versions, and sounding a little lost when taken out of context. The epic 18+ minute "Halleluwah" suffers most, with a mere five minute extract giving no clues to the accumulative power of the "Tago Mago" album jam, which filled an entire side of vinyl.

Wisely, the monumental "Yoo Doo Right" (from the aptly titled "Monster Movie" album) was left intact. This is CAN at their primitive, embryonic best, and it's the perfect litmus test for new listeners undecided about exploring the band in depth. If you can handle a repetitive two-note bass riff for twenty (yes, twenty) minutes, layered with jungle percussion and hair-curling, distorted electric guitar, and topped off by a typically raw, unconventional vocal performance by Malcolm Mooney (turning a girlfriend's letter into a schizophrenic rant), then you might be ready to enter the greater brotherhood of true CAN fandom.

This compilation in no way replaces or even supplements the original albums. Try it as a sampler, and if sufficiently intrigued by all means continue on to the unabridged albums, if you dare.

[One quick note: this entire CD is also included in the two-disc "Can Anthology" collection, an even better bargain for curious newcomers, with a much wider range of material and a few non-album rarities for diehard collectors. And a petty complaint: the re-arrangement of tracks here from the original vinyl compilation, together with the removal of two songs to fit it onto a single CD, makes a mess out of the credits, which were never edited to match the changes. So Damo Suzuki does not sing on tracks 4 or 7 as shown (that's Malcolm Mooney); and Mooney doesn't sing on tracks 2, 8, or 14: the first is an instrumental, the second features Suzuki, and there is no track 14. Hopefully the upcoming Spoon Records re-mastered edition will fix the typos.]

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45846) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Review by Seyo
2 stars Now if I am correct, this title seems to be a CD edition of the former double LP "Cannibalism" issued in 1978. I will not repeat what I said about the former, but obviously this album is even less prominent: "because of timelimit the tracks SPRAY and SOUL DESERT of double album CANNIBALISM are missing on this CD". So, all the criticism I expressed in the former review is retained here, and the missing "Spray" makes the album "Future Days" totally unrepresented. In light of subsequent appearance of "Anthology" 2CD collection, "Cannibalism I" CD can hardly be recommended to anyone but fierce completists.

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59764) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 08, 2005

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Am I the only one here who is at least a little bit put off by the label "Krautrock" for this German branch of prog? Oh well.

This collection, as others have noted, is a fine introduction to the band Can. It contains selections from most of their early albums, and gives a pretty good idea of what this band was all about. To me, it seems to have that essence of experimentalism that other bands, like Frank Zappa & The Mothers on "Freak Out", and many British bands, like the Syd Barrett Pink Floyd, Giles, Giles & Fripp, etc. were into a few years previously. This doesn't make it bad. In fact, it's quite listenable, once you get used to it.

The best thing to me is the rhythm section. While none of the musicians here appear to be virtuosos, Jaki Liebezeit's drums and Holger Czukay's bass are intriguing enough to keep my interest.

On the down side, the repetition in the 20-minute plus "Yoo Doo Right" gets downright tedious.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221596) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Post a review of CAN "Cannibalism 1"