OUT OF REACH

Collectors/fans only

Buy CAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1978

1. Serpentine (4:03)
2. Pauper's Daughter and I (5:51)
3. November (7:37)
4. Seven Days Awake (5:15)
5. Give me no Roses (5:17)
6. Like Inobe God (5:45)
7. One More Day (1:31)

CAN apparently do not consider this a real "CAN" album as it is the only one not reissued on their Spoon Label. Bassist Holger Czukay left the band before the recording sessions, and drummer Jaki Liebezeit has a very limited part.

Search CAN Out Of Reach lyrics

Search CAN Out Of Reach tabs

- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards, vocals
- Rebop Kwaku Baah / percussion, vocals, polymoog
- Rosko Gee / bass, vocals, Fender Rhodes, Flange bass
- Michael Karoli / guitar, violin
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Holger Czukay / bass

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Out Of Reach Music

Future DaysFuture Days
Remastered
Mute U.S. 2008
Tago MagoTago Mago
Imports 2014
Vinyl$24.98
EARLENE WALKER: We Can Fall In Love Again / Instro US $15.00 Buy It Now 29m 52s
Max Miller You Can't Help Liking Him 1962 Stereo LP US $12.66 Buy It Now 32m 37s
CAMPER VAN BEETHOVEN Vampire can mating oven LP INDIE INDIEPOP US $13.49 Buy It Now 33m 49s
SIMPHONIA - Can't Get Over Your Love - 1991 UK 12" Vinyl HOUSE/Dance - NMINT US $9.20 Buy It Now 34m 13s
MADLEEN KANE 45 RPM 7'' You can / Mon amour DISCO 45 RPM VG+ USA US $2.99 Buy It Now 35m 3s
Jolie Holland - Springtime Can Kill You (Digipak, CD 2006) US $16.55 Buy It Now 35m 21s
AMERICAN MUSIC CLUB Can you help me 7" INDIE ALT US $6.74 Buy It Now 35m 30s
SHY RIGHTS MOVEMENT Only the lost can find their way 7" CLEAR INDIE US $5.89 Buy It Now 35m 30s
Common Can I Borrow A Dollar Rare 1992 LP US $22.99 [0 bids]
38m 11s
HOW DO I Can't Explain RARE 7" DENMARK New Wave INDIE US $6.74 Buy It Now 41m 38s
CHANDLER, Lorraine - I Can't Change - 7" US $17.29 Buy It Now 42m 46s
MZ CAN AM Logo BRP ATV1 FOR 3D iphone 4 4g 4s 5 5s 5c HTC One M7 back cover case US $22.99 Buy It Now 42m 54s
MZ CAN AM Logo BRP ATV2 FOR 3D iphone 4 4g 4s 5 5s 5c HTC One M7 back cover case US $22.99 Buy It Now 43m 10s
BOSTON Can'tcha say 7" USA ROCK METAL US $3.36 Buy It Now 43m 36s
On a Clear Day You Can See Forever, , New US $9.55 Buy It Now 46m 43s
You Can Tune a Piano: But You Can't Tuna Fish, Reo Speedwagon, New US $6.55 Buy It Now 49m 20s
Can't Take Me Home by P!nk (CD, Apr-2000, LaFace) US $4.99 Buy It Now 50m 8s
Tease: I Can't Stand In The Rain 12" NM Canada Epic 12EXP 07590 US $2.99 Buy It Now 57m 3s
Millie Jackson: Something You Can Feel 12" NM USA JIve 1109-1-JDAB Promo US $2.99 Buy It Now 57m 30s
BOZ SCAGGS-YOU CAN HAVE ME ANYTIME 7"-JAP PRESS-06SP465 US $9.25 Buy It Now 57m 49s
You Can't Make Old Friends by Kenny Rogers : Format: Audio CD US $12.54 Buy It Now 59m 9s
LISTEN - SOUL POPCORN - LES COOPER - AT THE WORLD'S FAIR - I CAN DO THE SOUL US $49.99 [0 bids]
1h
Lacy J. Dalton Highway Diner UK 1986 LP Inc. Can't See Me Without You US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
2PM Don't Stop Can't Stop 3rd Single Album CD US $15.49 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Papercuts - You Can Have What You Want CD US $20.43 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Bieber Justin - Pure Can LP Vinyl Record Single US $41.90 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Einaudi Ludovico - Einaudi Essential Can CD US $34.29 Buy It Now 1h 10m
= TRASH CAN SINATRAS Hayfever CD 4trk Pr0mo excellent condition US $4.43 Buy It Now 1h 12m
BIG JACK HORNER: If I Can (rare rockabilly vinyl 45) US $150.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
BEATLES - WE CAN WORK IT OUT FRIDGE MAGNET **FREE P&P** US $5.06 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Madonna You Can Dance Album Vinyl Good Condition US $5.00 [0 bids]
MENTAL AS ANYTHING IF YOU LEAVE ME, CAN I COME TOO? LP 717 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
"Cole Porter's Can-Can" Original Broadway Cast LP US $21.38 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Kirsty MacColl Can't Stop Killing You CD Single Promo US $3.95 [0 bids]
Human Touch Sally Go Round the Roses / I Can Imagine 1971 Promo 7'' US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 28m
SANNY J PROJECT feat RULY MC/LEO D - We Can Change - 6-track CD single US $12.73 Buy It Now 1h 29m
HEAVEN CAN WAIT - Vintage Sheet Music - Song Fox-Trot - Jack Harris US $20.26 Buy It Now 1h 33m
DJ EAKO vs PEPPE NASTRI feat PATRIX DUENAS - I Can Feel It - CD single US $14.25 Buy It Now 1h 38m
MEL TORME 50's Sheet music BROTHER CAN YOU SPARE A DIME US $16.88 Buy It Now 1h 40m
RON WHITE - YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID ~ CD ~ BRAND NEW US $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 43m
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD Can You Do It/ 1976 7" MCA 40590 PS US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Ian Brown - Can't See Me 7" Vinyl Stone Roses US $20.18 Buy It Now 1h 47m
(B1)*THE TROGGS I Can't Control Myself UK original 7" 45 single NMint US $13.08 Buy It Now 1h 49m
MI R&B Northern Soul The Fourmost LU PINE 105 (( ? )) Why i can't have you US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Dobson, Anita Anyone Can Fall In Love EASTENDERS 7 INCH VINYL RECORD VG/EX 08 US $3.70 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Can You Feel It by Charles Feelgood (CD, Nov-2000, Moonshine Music) dance r US $1.68 Buy It Now 2h
R&B Northern Soul Claudell McKell BRANDING IRON 100171 (( ? )) You can make it US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Har Mar Superstar - You Can Feel Me (CD) 12 Tracks - Nr Mint - Fast Delivery US $6.74 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Michael Fennelly - Love Can Change Everything Demos 1967-19 CD US $19.85 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Gene Pitney-Only Love Can Break a Heart/She's a Heartbreaker-COL 317 VG+ 45 US $2.99 [0 bids]
Reo Speedwagon - You Can Tune A Piano But You Cant Tuna Fish CD US $19.33 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Eleni Mandell - I Can See The Future CD US $17.80 Buy It Now 2h 6m
LAS CHICAS DEL CAN - CULECA / JAPAN CD (BOM2050) US $15.00 [0 bids]
Boz Scaggs "What Can I Say / Lido Shuffle" Oz 7" US $5.58 Buy It Now 2h 8m
GARY LEWIS green grass/i can read between the lines LIB 55880 uk 1966 7" WS EX/ US $31.74 Buy It Now 2h 10m
CHRIS ANDREWS something on my mind/i'll do the best i can F.22365 uk 7" WS EX/ US $11.80 Buy It Now 2h 10m
SCREAMING BLUE MESSIAHS i can speak american/good and gone YZ 176 7" PS EX/EX US $11.80 Buy It Now 2h 10m
THE POLICE can't stand losing you AMS 7381 yellow vinyl uk a&m 7" PS EX/EX wol US $44.47 Buy It Now 2h 10m
THE CASINOS then you can tell me goodbye/i still love you PT 123 uk 7" WS EX/ US $31.74 Buy It Now 2h 10m
THE MAIN INGREDIENT everybody plays the fool/who can i turn to 7" WS VG/ wol US $11.80 Buy It Now 2h 10m
THE POLICE can't stand losing you/dead end job AMS 7381 blue vinyl 7" PS EX/VG US $12.71 Buy It Now 2h 10m
DAN HARTMAN i can dream about you LP PS EX/EX usa mca MCA 5525 export cutout US $15.18 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Brendan Dugan "Can't Keep You Out Of My Heart" NZ 7" US $5.58 Buy It Now 2h 10m
EDDY GRANT 'CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF YOU' UK 7" SINGLE US $1.67 Buy It Now 2h 10m
EDDY GRANT 'CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF YOU' UK 7" SINGLE #2 US $1.67 Buy It Now 2h 10m
EARTH WIND AND FIRE can't let go/love music S CBS 8077 uk cbs 7" WS EX/ US $11.80 Buy It Now 2h 11m
JIMMY NAIL ain't no doubt/what can i say YZ 686 uk east west 1992 7" WS EX/EX US $11.80 Buy It Now 2h 11m
AVERAGE WHITE BAND nothing you can do/i just can't give you up K10498 7" WS EX/ US $11.80 Buy It Now 2h 11m
GEORGE MAHARIS where can you go for a broken heart 33SX 1597 uk mono LP PS EX/EX US $15.18 Buy It Now 2h 12m
JUNIOR i can't help it/let me know MER116 uk mercury 1982 7" PS EX/EX US $11.80 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Anthrax Signed Limited Edition 7" Blue Vinyl Record 45 Fight Em Til You Can't US $199.99 Buy It Now 2h 13m
LJ WAITERS & THE ELECTRIFIERS 'CAN YOU DEAL WITH IT (VOCAL)' US IMPORT 7" SINGLE US $8.42 Buy It Now 2h 14m
PEABO BRYSON / ROBERTA FLACK 'CAN WE FIND LOVE AGAIN' US IMPORT 7" SINGLE US $2.11 Buy It Now 2h 14m
COUNT BASIE you can depend on basie CP 76 uk coral LP PS EX/EX US $17.34 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Three Dog Night- Liar/Can't Get Enough of It -Dunhill D-4282 VG 45 US $3.99 [0 bids]
45 Breathe How Can I fall and Monday Morning Blues AM US $1.64 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Three Dog Night- Joy to the World/I Can Hear You Calling -Dunhill D-4272 VG 45 US $2.99 [0 bids]
Until The End.. OST LP Patti Smith Talking Heads Can REM Depeche Mode U2 Neneh US $24.90 Buy It Now 2h 17m
LP Album Pete Seeger I Can See A New Day Columbia US $3.75 Buy It Now 2h 18m
CAMEL I CAN SEE YOUR HOUSE FROM HERE israeli 1st press US $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 20m
R & J stone 7" one chance / i just can't get it right 1976 RCA2660 A1/B1 EX US $6.06 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Eruption (Precious) "I Can't Stand The Rain" Oz 7" US $5.58 Buy It Now 2h 23m
THE APPRECIATIONS I Can't Hide It NORTHERN SOUL PROMO 45 (SOUL CITY) RARE R US $11.46 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Eurogliders "Can't Wait To See You" Hit Oz 7" US $5.58 Buy It Now 2h 24m
LAST PANIC - Being the most important can' Japan CD-NEW US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Soulsearcher - Can't Get Enough (1 trk 12" / Tom Novy Rmx / 1999) US $11.80 Buy It Now 2h 34m
PRE OWNED TEVIN CAMPBELL I'M READY CD R&B SECOND ALBUM CAN WE TALK GUARANTEED US $15.76 Buy It Now 2h 39m
bad manners 7" can can / armchair disco 1981 uk press MAG190 A1/B1 VG++ US $6.06 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Johnny Tillotson-You Can Never Stop Me Loving You/Judy, Judy, Judy-45rpm US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
LORRAINE CATO - HOW CAN YOU TELL ME IT'S OVER 7" VINYL PS US $6.74 Buy It Now 2h 44m
IRON MAIDEN Can I Play with Madness 45 RPM Single (7-Inch) Classic Metal Ex Con US $2.45 Buy It Now 2h 45m
RAINBOW - Can't Happen Here 7" vinyl single 1980 UK Polydor 1981 hard rock US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
TAYLOR DAYNE "CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF YOUR LOVE" CASSINGLE US $5.58 Buy It Now 2h 48m
BRYAN ADAMS "CAN'T STOP THIS THING WE STARTED" AUSSIE CASSINGLE US $7.44 Buy It Now 2h 48m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Out Of Reach ratings distribution

CAN Out Of Reach reviews

Review by soundsweird
2 stars Much like "Can", this album is almost completely lacking any of their earlier inspiration. Blame it on boredom, Czukay's exit, changing musical tastes, or perhaps the well just ran dry. Now, if this is the only Can album you've ever heard, you probably love it (the same goes for "Can" and "Rite Time"), because THAT would make it seem unique, fresh and powerful. The other (glowing) reviews here may be explained by that possibility....

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#23309) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Review by Neu!mann
1 stars I've always been a CAN partisan, but not enough to forgive this listless, uninspired 1978 effort: proof that even the greatest bands (and CAN was one of the best) have their off days.

The cracks that appeared with the revamped line-up on their earlier "Saw Delight" finally burst open here, but don't blame newcomers Rebop Kwaku Baah and Rosko Gee (both ex-Traffic). Their arrival didn't upset the balance of talent all that much, but neither shared the same telepathic rapport, developed over a decade of constant playing together, that had powered the essential Krautrock masterpieces of "Tago Mago", "Ege Bamyasi", and "Future Days".

The new chemistry may have worked well enough on "Saw Delight", but that funky dance rhythm toward which the band had been moving ever since their semi-hit single "I Want More" always had a limited shelf life, and apparently didn't carry over to this session. And the album suffered even more without the guiding hand of Holger Czukay, CAN's founding bass guitarist and resident wild card. Listen to his first few solo albums, released at about the same time, to see what's missing here.

Maybe this stumble was overdue. After a decade of intense, sometimes phenomenal creativity the group (what was left of it) was clearly running on fumes, sounding as if they had forgotten, or (worse yet) couldn't be bothered to listen to each other anymore. Even on the improvised instrumental tracks ("Serpentine" and "November"), typically CAN's strongest suit and raison d' Ítre, the group sounds like they're simply going through the motions, eating up studio time in a rush to fill their contract obligations. And the other songs could almost be by anybody, not the sort of criticism normally leveled at a CAN composition.

In the end the title of the album proved to be more than a little prophetic, to the point where the band itself has long since disowned it. Spoon Records, the CAN parent company, is currently on a four-year schedule to re-master every album the band ever released, from their 1969 debut "Monster Movie" to the 1989 reunion "Rite Time", with the notable exception of this one. I've always had a soft spot of sympathy for it: the lost Little Match Girl of the greater CAN discography. But that doesn't change my opinion of it, sadly enough, or make it in any way a better album. Thankfully, the band would pick itself off the mat in time for another round (or two): see 1979's self-titled album, a.k.a. "Inner Space", and the 1989 "Rite Time" epilogue.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45847) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Review by Tom Ozric
4 stars Funny how certain albums by certain bands are often dismissed, even by the band members themselves. I just wonder what I see in some of these albums - CAN's 'Out of Reach' being one of these obscure platters. Some time in the late 90's, I managed to obtain the later Can records almost in one go - and I love each and every one of them. Totally different from their pioneering 'Kraut' style, this later, more conventional approach may have almost crushed their revolutionary anarchic reputation, but I still find the music here original, diverse and still containing some powerful elements. Irmin Schmidt's Keyboards maintain a 'spacious' quality to them, Jaki Liebezeit continues thumping out his 'motoric' rhythms, doubled with colossal percussive work from Rebop Kwaku Baah (ex- TRAFFIC). Bassist Rosko Gee (also ex-Traffic) is a mighty fine player, and has a pleasant voice. Michael Karoli contributes his distinctive fumbly, abrasive guitar style with verve, the lengthy jam 'November' being a superb example. Two of the songs here are quite funky and groove-based, almost poppish in fact - 'Pauper's Daughter and I' and 'Give Me No Roses' - both penned by Rosko Gee (much to the chagrin of the original, 'democratic' minded members) with Schmidt gracing 'Pauper' with some dazzling synth textures, and 'Roses' bringing us a cool, laid-back mood. 'Serpentine', 'Seven Days Awake' and 'One More Day' are three dynamic instrumental pieces, featuring Flanged Basses and, at times, processed Drums, making for some quite intense listening. 'Like Inobe God' is a strange, percussive-heavy tune led by Rebop, which is decorated with a spacey vibe. Another very interesting German release. 4 stars !

Send comments to Tom Ozric (BETA) | Report this review (#156606) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars This album also exists in an issue where it is paired with the preceding album 'Can', which, to make things entirely confusing, has also been released under the name 'Inner Space'. Well, the issue with its companion Inner Space might be your safest bet here as this album is a bit of a scanty carbon copy of that great 'Inner Spavce' album. Yes I know every one else has a different opinion on that one :)

Serpentine, November and Seven Days Awake are emblematic for this albums problem. They are ok instrumentals but don't add anything to the superior stuff on Inner Space. And certainly nothing at all if you consider the whole Can oeuvre. Pauper's Daughter is more interesting, at least it features a vocal line that is quite different from what they had done before. Almost a soul croon.

If you can find the album release where it is paired to Inner Space in a second hand store, you shouldn't hesitate. At least if you like the more polished funk and electronic Can sound from the end of the 70ties.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#248122) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Review by JJLehto
3 stars Krautrock. I had no idea what it was and frankly, thought it was one of those made up genre's that didn't really exist, and that krautrock was really just German prog rock bands. Apparently it is psychedelic prog rock with very jazzy influences, long minimalist sections and improv. Wait, how is this not like some prog rock? OK, no more genre clerical rants from me. This is my first foray into krautrock, but maybe not since this album is apparently quite different from most of Can's work. OI!

OK, this is a pretty cool album. It has a very mellow to it. Lots of keyboard, jazzyness (mainly in the drumming) mild guitar, funky bass riffs and psychedelic sections. There is even some space rock! The guitar solos on this album are awesome. They are soulful and emotional. They are quite melodic, and range from sustains to hendrixesque trippy noodling and screaming. Some distortion thrown in there to boot.Throw on top some very soothing vocals. They are somewhat infrequent, often soft and always nice.

I mentioned the guitar solos which are maybe my favorite part of the album, but the bass riffs are truly great. Very funky. The drumming is also quite good, and ranges from simple beat keeping, to wild and jazzy. The drumming overall has a very jazz feel, (what's not to like about that?) and is again, very cool. Favorite drumming on the album is in the song "One More Day" which is a very space rock song. Then the keyboard, probably the main instrument on the album. It is quite prominent and is sometimes a nice background, sometimes high pitched and space rocky.

Overall, the songs do have a bit of an improv feel to it. Perhaps it is not as experimental and free flowing as their older work, but this is certainly not a constructed album, at least not entirely. I think it has quite a free feeling, in fact upon very first listen I thought the songs sounded a bit, everywhere and lacked cohesion. I quickly realized this is not a bad thing!

I will say, this album does have quite a pop feel to it as well. I have heard it compared to disco, and I dont know about that, (besides I was born in 1988!) but while the jam feel is present, there is some structure and organization. Given that, along with its mellow and funky feel, this album may be pretty accessible to the mainstream!

As a newcomer to Can, and krautrock in general, I can look at this album with the pre-conceived notions of Can and krautrock. A funky, spacey, mellow and somewhat psychedelic jam session album. Maybe their is too much pop or structure and not enough experimentalism but this is a good album. Especially great to relax to. "November" and "One More Day" are the best tracks on the album, but there is no real weak song.

THREE AND A HALF STARS (Bump 3)

Send comments to JJLehto (BETA) | Report this review (#292370) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 29, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars So pointless that the band members themselves have disowned it, this one doesn't even have Czukay in a token role, which helps explain why many fans don't acknowledge this as a proper Can album. I will admit that it has some advantages over Delight: it's less monotonous, and I actually honestly enjoy some of the tracks on here, which I wouldn't have said about this album's predecessor. The lows, however, are offensively bad, and the lessening of monotony comes at the price of the band seemingly not having any idea what direction it wants to go, so the album gets the same rating as before.

The highpoint is undoubtedly the moody seven-minute instrumental "November," which uses a lot of tasteful piano to complement some great emotional guitar solos, and which also features (to my ears) something that wasn't found on the last album: a decent blend of the percussion attacks of Jaki and Reebop, where they're clearly distinct but clearly working together. It's nowhere near as good as the better instrumental work from the band's prime, but it's a marked improvement over everything from Saw, and that counts for something.

Other decent tracks include "Seven Days Awake," an instrumental which adds little to Can's legacy but is at least kind enough to be depressing, and the totally incongruous "Give Me No Roses," a bouncy Gee-sung pop number that has a neat little chorus. Unfortunately, that's only three tracks out of seven. The opening "Serpentine" reminds me too much of the kind of noodling that took up Delight (at least it's only four minutes, though), "Pauper's Daughter and I" is an incredibly obnoxious pop song that makes the mistake of lasting a whole six minutes, and the closing "One More Day" is a completely pointless two-minute "astral" instrumental. And, of course, there's "Like INOBE GOD," a piece of "ethnic" muzak with terrible Reebop vocals, the kind of thing I'd expect to hear from a cross between late-period Can and Murph and the Magic Tones (see the movie The Blues Brothers if you don't get what I'm talking about) while dining in a Holiday Inn. This is just AWFUL.

If you're a Can fanatic, hunt down the best tracks from this online. Otherwise, just pretend this never existed; you and the band will get on quite well if you do that.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#388119) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 28, 2011

1 stars This is CAN's nadir. The copy I have on CD retains the original pressing mistakes that plagued the original vinyll release! I've never had the enthusiasm to see if more modern releases fix this problem. (What is the point of a CD that crackles?) The music is perfunctory, a mish mash of clash ... (read more)

Report this review (#35308) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars If you've heard other stuff by Can then you may be surprised; this is funky, fluid, jazzy spaced out [&*!#]. There are some very groovy basslines and soulful vocals. Personally I prefer it to other Can stuff - while still experimental, it sounds more organic and less pretentious and self-conscio ... (read more)

Report this review (#23308) | Posted by | Monday, February 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Out Of Reach"