CAN

3. Sunday Jam (4:17)
4. Sodom (5:43)
5. Aspectacle (5:52)
Side 2
6. EFS No. 99 "Can Can" (3:16)
7. Ping Pong (0:25) Traditional
8. Can be (3:00)

This album was later released under the name "Inner Space" in 1985 under the Thunderbolt label and also included on the 1998 Thunderbolt release: "Inner Space / Out of Reach".

Search CAN Can lyrics

Search CAN Can tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitar, vocal, bass on "Can Be"
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboard, synthesizers
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Rosko Gee / bass
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Can Music

Can: Ege Bamyasi (Free MP3) Vinyl LPCan: Ege Bamyasi (Free MP3) Vinyl LP
Spoon Records
Vinyl$24.95

Bad Manners: Can Can 7": 1981 UK Release: Picture Sleeve USD $1.31 [0 bids]
2 Records - Can Can Capitol DW452 / Cabaret Columbia KOS 3040 - Stereo USD $18.71 Buy It Now 2h 48m
BAD MANNERS 7" vinyl record CAN CAN / ARMCHAIR DISCO USD $4.03 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Jive Bunny And The Mastermixers-Can Can You Party 7" 45-Music Factory, MFD 007, USD $3.90 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Jive Bunny And The Mastermixers-Can Can You Party 12"-Music Factory, MFDT 007, 1 USD $7.86 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Jive Bunny And The Mastermixers-Can Can You Party (White Label) 12"-Music Factor USD $7.86 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, The-Hooked On A Can Can 7" 45-RCA Victor, RCA 151, USD $3.90 Buy It Now 4h 48m
Soundtrack-Cole Porter's Can-Can: Original Soundtrack Album LP-Capitol Records, USD $9.18 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Boomshanka And Billie Godfrey-So Hard To Find 12"-CAN, CAN, CANIT010 Company Sle USD $7.86 Buy It Now 5h 6m
Maurice Chavalier-Sings Can Can Ep 7" 45-MGM, MGM-EP-724, Picture Sleeve 4 Track USD $9.18 Buy It Now 5h 6m
Nelson Riddle Can Can LP Capitol Records 1536 VG Cheesecake Soundtrack USD $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 24m
TREACHEROUS THREE - YES WE CAN CAN ( 2 MIXES ) - UK 12" 1982 - SUGARHILL LABEL USD $1.32 [0 bids]
Can Can You Party - Music Factory - 1990 #744344 USD $2.63 Buy It Now 8h
Avarice - Listen To Me - Can Can Records - 1994 #148775 USD $2.63 Buy It Now 9h 8m
BAD MANNERS - CAN CAN - A1/B1 - 7" VINYL USD $1.65 [0 bids]
Sounds Of Peruvian Soul - Peruvian Soul Can Can #236274 USD $2.63 Buy It Now 9h 17m
Boomshanka - So Hard To Find - Can Can - 1995 #145082 USD $2.63 Buy It Now 9h 18m
CD Can Can Film Musicals Collection New and sealed USD $1.98 [0 bids]
Bad Manners - Can Can 7" 45RPM Pic Sleeve USD $1.31 [0 bids]
Barry De Vorzon 45 Love You, Baby/The Can-Can Ladies Columbia 441663 Teen Rocker USD $5.39 Buy It Now 9h 56m
COLE PORTER'S Can-Can 10" VINYL PARLOPHONE PMD1017 USD $17.15 Buy It Now 10h 30m
S/TRACK.COLE PORTER'S CAN-CAN."ORIG LONDON CAST".UK ORIG 10" LP+INN/SL.EX/EX USD $26.34 Buy It Now 11h
Legendary Can - Can (CD Used Very Good) USD $7.13 Buy It Now 11h 15m
POINTER SISTERS-Yes We Can Can / Jada-/UK '73 BLUE THUMB (WIP6171) Original 7" USD $5.27 [1 bids]
MARSEILLE KISS LIKE ROCK & ROLL / CAN CAN 7" VINYL SINGLE USD $9.16 Buy It Now 12h 11m
CAN Can-can 7" VINYL Can Can Disco (lig545) Writing On Labels UK Lightning 197 USD $6.92 Buy It Now 12h 49m
Bernard Peiffer-Plays Cole Porter's Can-Can-Laurie 1008-NICE USD $14.99 Buy It Now 12h 50m
Bernard Peiffer "Plays Cole Porters Can-Can" Laurie Jazz 1960 NM- USD $15.00 Buy It Now 13h 53m
Not Found - can can film musicals collection, Not Found, New CD USD $3.29 Buy It Now 16h 42m
CAN Can LP NEW VINYL Spoon 180g Remastered Traffic USD $19.98 Buy It Now 17h 34m
Stainless Steal "Can-Can" Rare Oz 7" USD $4.59 Buy It Now 17h 53m
C'EST MAGNIFIQUE Cole Porter SHEET MUSIC Australia CAN-CAN USD $7.62 Buy It Now 17h 55m
CAN-CAN Cole Porter LP TERRY GIBBS & His Quintet STEREO Verve Deep Groove Jazz USD $39.00 Buy It Now 18h
JACK COSTANZO - Afro Can-Can - Rare LIBERTY Stereo REEL - Latin / Jazz USD $14.99 [0 bids]
BAD MANNERS "CAN CAN" OZ 7" RECORD USD $7.65 Buy It Now 19h 38m
CAN-CAN VINYL LP NEW USD $23.14 Buy It Now 19h 43m
BOSTON POPS ORCHESTRA - CAN-CAN - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD 1957 USD $7.57 Buy It Now 19h 53m
Original Film Soundtrack - Can Can CD USD $3.55 Buy It Now 23h 11m
CAN-CAN - Film Soundtrack - Excellent Condition LP Record Capitol SM-1301 USD $11.87 Buy It Now 1 day
7" Vinyl Record, Bad Manners, Can Can / Armchair Disco, mag190 USD $2.63 Buy It Now 1 day
Virtuoso: Can Can Gaite Parisienne - Offenbach,J. CD-JEWEL CASE USD $13.01 Buy It Now 1 day
Cole Porter ?- Cole Porter's Can-Can USD $1.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Tony Pastor 'The French Can-Can Polka / My Rosa' PROMO 78 USD $4.95 [0 bids]
Can Can German Cast Musical Soundtrack LP In German Language Cole Porter USD $5.00 [1 bids]
LOUIS CLARK+ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA-HOOKED ON A CAN CAN-HOOKED ON ROMANCE USD $0.13 [0 bids]
BAD MANNERS Can Can 7" VINYL B/W Armchair Disco (Mag190) Pic Sleeve UK Magne USD $6.59 Buy It Now 1 day
BAD MANNERS - Can Can cassette tape album. Rare. 1980 Pickwick England. USD $11.87 Buy It Now 1 day
STAINLESS STEAL Can-Can 7" VINYL Demo Featuring Edited Version And It All Comes USD $4.15 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN Can And Out Of Reach CD 16 Track (Cd19102) European Audelic USD $21.25 Buy It Now 1 day
GLASS BAND Getting In Deep With You 7" VINYL B/W Queen Of The Can Can Show USD $4.15 Buy It Now 1 day
STAINLESS STEAL Can-Can 7" VINYL Edited Version Demo B/W It All Comes Down To USD $2.76 Buy It Now 1 day
MAURICE CHEVALIER Sings Can Can 7" VINYL 4 Track Mono EP Featuring C'est USD $6.59 Buy It Now 1 day
JIVE BUNNY Can Can You Party 7" VINYL B/W Can Can (Mfd007) Pic Sleeve UK Music USD $1.39 Buy It Now 1 day
BAD MANNERS Can Can 7" VINYL B/W Armchair Disco (Mag190) Pic Sleeve UK Magnet USD $5.53 Buy It Now 1 day
FRANKIE CARLE Plays Can Can 7" VINYL 4 Track EP Featuring I Love Paris, It's USD $6.59 Buy It Now 1 day
LOUIS CLARK Hooked On A Can Can 7" VINYL B/W Hooked On Romance (Rca151) UK Rca USD $5.53 Buy It Now 1 day
FREAKY REALISTIC Reach CD 4 Track Featuring Can Can Mix, D-Street Dub,Joy For USD $4.15 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN CAN Original Sound Track Album LP VINYL 12 Track (W1301) UK Capitol USD $6.59 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN CAN Original Soundtrack Album LP VINYL 12 Track Sealed Old Stock, Corner USD $4.74 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN CAN Original Sound Track Album LP VINYL 12 Track (W1301) UK C USD $4.15 Buy It Now 1 day
TREACHEROUS THREE Yes We Can Can 12" VINYL 2 Track In Die Cut Info Sleeve USD $10.35 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN CAN Original Soundtrack LP VINYL 12 Tracks Including Frank Sinatra (T746) USD $6.59 Buy It Now 1 day
COLE PORTER'S CAN CAN S/T LP VINYL 16 Track (V2570) UK Virgin USD $11.74 Buy It Now 1 day
JIVE BUNNY Can Can You Party 12" VINYL 2 Track Extended Mix B/W Can Can USD $4.15 Buy It Now 1 day
JIVE BUNNY Can Can You Party 12" VINYL 2 Track Extended Mix B/W C USD $6.59 Buy It Now 1 day
JIVE BUNNY Can Can You Party 12" VINYL One Sided White Label Test Pressing With USD $4.15 Buy It Now 1 day
(EV684) Skandi Girls, Do The Can Can - 2004 DJ CD USD $3.95 Buy It Now 1 day
THE CAN CAN soundtrack frank sinatra W1301 rainbow rim with booklet LP PS VG/EX USD $11.86 Buy It Now 1 day
Cole Porter Can-Can, Frank Sinatra SEALED!! USD $19.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Can-Can - An Offenbach Festival - Arthur Fiedler, Boston Pops (RCA AGL1-1963) USD $1.32 Buy It Now 1 day
Hooked on a Can Can / Hooked on Romance - UK 12" single USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN - CAN-CAN USD $4.62 Buy It Now 1 day
ANDR… PREVIN/POL/MARRINER & PISO - OFFENBACH-CAN CAN & GAITE PARISIENNE CD NEW+ USD $14.28 Buy It Now 1 day
COLE PORTER'S CAN-CAN - PARLOPHONE - PMDO1017 - RARE USD $15.12 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN CAN YES WE CAN PROMO & PHOTO BOOK JAPAN LP VINYL LP GU-40 MINT USD $149.99 [0 bids]
TREACHEROUS THREE - Yes We Can-Can SEALED 12" SINGLE USD $13.19 Buy It Now 2 days
Can-Can(Inner space), 1978y, Lazer rec.- UK-1st.Edition ( NM / NM ) USD $52.50 Buy It Now 2 days
The Broadway Musicals Series - Can~Can USD $1.31 Buy It Now 2 days
BAD MANNERS - CAN CAN 7" 81 VG 1p SALE TO CLEAR. USD $0.01 [0 bids]
Peter Jay And The Jay Walkers: "Can-Can '62". Original Decca 45-F 11531.1962. USD $6.54 [0 bids]
HINTERLANDT zu CAN CAN HEADS tenzenmen CD diy valse triste locust black engine USD $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NEW SEALED - CAN-CAN - Original Soundtrack - Film Music CD Album - Can Can USD $3.29 Buy It Now 2 days
LP CAN-CAN - COLE PORTER'S ORIGINAL BROADWAY CAST CAPITOL W-452 VG++ USD $3.99 [0 bids]
BAD MANNERS " CAN CAN / ARMCHAIR DISCO " 7" SINGLE 1981 VG+ USD $3.29 Buy It Now 2 days
BAD MANNERS 7" 45" CAN CAN PS RARE PICTURE SLEEVE SKA USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Apollo 100 - "Joy" 7" (1980) EX / "Can Can" / YB 97 (Young Blood) USD $2.63 Buy It Now 2 days
Bad Manners - "Can Can" 7" (1981) EX / "Armchair Disco" / MAG 190 (Magnet) USD $1.31 Buy It Now 2 days
Can Can & Anything Goes (ita) 8436542015592 by Benny Carter, CD, BRAND NEW USD $14.66 Buy It Now 2 days
MIMI BENZELL & FELIX KNIGHT-Can Can/Kiss Me Kate (1965) ALLEGRO U.K. Import LP USD $7.03 Buy It Now 2 days
Cole Porter's Can Can & Kiss Me Kate ~ Allegro (1965) ~ Vintage Vinyl USD $4.62 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN CAN COLE PORTER MONO SOUNDTRACK SINATRA CHEVALIER JOURDAN 1960 UK CAPITOL LP USD $17.81 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN-CAN FT FRANK SINATRA/SHIRLEY MacLAINE VINYL LP ALBUM CAPITOL LABEL ST 746 USD $10.50 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN-CAN FT SHIRLEY MacLAINE/FRANK SINATRA VINYL LP ALBUM CAPITOL CAT NO SW 1301 USD $11.82 Buy It Now 2 days
99p SALE* Peter Jay And The Jaywalkers Can-Can '62 UK 45 7" single +Redskins USD $1.31 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN CAN SOUNDTRACK, SINATRA MACLAINE - LP SW1301 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Treacherous Three-Yes We Can Can-UK Vinyl Sugar Hill 7"-Hip Hop Rap-1982-HEAR USD $13.19 [0 bids]
Jive Bunny Can Can You Party CD USD $4.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Various Artists : Can-Can and Other Dances from the Opera CD (1995) USD $3.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The Pointer Sisters - Yes We Can Can/Jada BLUE THUMB 45 RPM (EX) USD $1.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Joe Loco Quintet-"The Song from Moulin Rouge/Can Can Mambo" LATIN TICO 78 HEAR! USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Can ratings distribution

CAN Can reviews

Review by soundsweird
2 stars I guess the inspiration had run out by this time. "Saw Delight" was pretty good, even with the lower-profile contributions of Holger Czukay, but this album finds the group doing a contractual-obligation snoozer. It's been some time since I sold this CD, so it's hard to give a precise post-mortem. I guess the best advice I can give is to stay away from anything after "Saw Delight".
Review by obiter
1 stars Time to review a couple of my least favourite albums ... it could get ugly (well at least it's not Amon Dull)

Cleverly Can lull you into a false sense of security at the opening. All Gates Open is actually quite passable. Not a lot happens, passable in this context is really a euphemism for not mind-numbingly awful. I can't help but think of waling in on a friends' we sister who was playing the family electric organ with a frighteningly annoying drum rhythm playing, and plonking a few keys with a disproportionate sense of glee. Safe is actually worse.

Sunday Jam is a welcome surprise. I found myself getting up and making a cup of tea as I thought the CD had stalled and inane elevator music was filling the gap. No, Sunday Jam is that elevator music. The lack of an elevator in my house should have given it away earlier.

Spectacle is actually quite a pleasant funky Starsky and Hutch number with an echoing mouth harp and some quite smart bass. Despite my prejudice I've got to admit this one is just a little bit groovy.

Ping pong is half a minute a ping pong ball bouncing on a table tennis table, You might think that's a pile of BS but you have to reserve that accolade for the truly dreadful cringe worthy Can Be (Can-can) number. How could anyone think this was a good idea? And even if they did, surely, but surely someone must have realised how hideously irritating and Goon Bay Dance Band this is. The Birdy Song and Grandad sound like prog classics in comparison.

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
2 stars When I listen to this album, I keep feeling that I should be seeing Mike Myers, as Dieter on Saturday Night, whining, "Now iss ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance."

This isn't a completely terrible Can album, it does have some listenable jams, but it in no way stands up to the better Can albums. Karoli, Schmidt and company are by no means virtuosos, but with the use of a studio full of effects, they come up with an album full of odd sounding dance tunes, but not terribly progressive ones.

Can? I'm not very certain they could at that point in their history.

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
Bonnek avatar
4 stars Can's last album exists under three different titles. I've come to know it as Inner Space, but it is also listed as Can and it exists as a package where it is crammed onto one CD together with Out Of Reach. I've always loved this album so as a special tribute I'll post a review for this edition as well.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

Can went through many phases, this album is an example of their smoother and funkier style. It doesn't contain as much innovative aspects as the previous couple of albums but with 5 strong tracks amounting to 30 great minutes it's a solid 4 star again.

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars I guess the iceberg credited with sinking the titanic is destined to have all subsequent achievements measured unfavourably against its coup de grace. CAN is highly regarded among the prog elite and far beyond prog - many artists of the 1970s, 1980s and beyond name CAN as a significant influence, and these include both other Krautrockers as well as those further afield. While I am only familiar with a small portion of their output, I actually find this late 1970s effort to be superior to the contemporaneous work by many of the prog giants of the day.

The playing is inspired, at times virtuous, the beats are infectious, albeit a bit too regular for the average elite prog fan, and the musicality of the exercises shine through all the period trappings in "Safe" and "Sunday Jam". These showcase Michael Karoli's guitar work and Irmin Schmidt's keys. There's generally a lot going on here but it succeeds in being mellow and groovy at the same time. Then again, "Sodom" and "Aspectacled" might be what detractors were referring to, trying too hard to establish a cool vibe, but the latter does have a decent synth theme. Luckily "Can Can", another installment of the ethnological forgery series kicks off its heels and provides welcome levity and clarity.

As someone who is not a fan of Kraut rock per se, my opinion might have more or less value to you depending on where you sit, but it seems that what CAN can do at their erstwhile worst is a pretty decent kick at the can.

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I actually kinda like this album, as opposed to the last two which I kinda loathed. It's the same lineup as before, so there are certainly many instances of the same noodly boring stuff (or, in the case of "A Spectacle," ill-conceived and incompetent attempts at pop) that I didn't like from these guys before, but there are also tracks where the band's new jamming style seems to mesh. In particular, the opening two tracks, the longest on the album, each manage to keep my attention through almost their entire lengths, which definitely couldn't be said about "Animal Waves" from Saw Delight (which ran almost as long on its own as these two tracks put together). "All Gates Open" combines harmonica in the first part with some actual warmth in Schmidt's tone and note choices, and "Safe" kinda works as a 1979 update of the Flow Motion vibe. It's gritty, it's groovy, and it's sooooo German, (in a Kraftwerk way more than a typical Can way), and I like it, dagnabbit.

The next three tracks take the band into (by now) typical territory, which of course means that the rating inevitably goes down, though at least "Sodom" has somewhat of an air of morbidity. Just when I've resigned myself to the same ole head drooping, though, the album takes the ultimate left turn. Yes, I am speaking of the band's cover of "Can-Can," a track so wrong on every level that I nearly keel over laughing every time, and that's a good thing. I can see why many fans would hate it, of course; this is the kind of thing that Mannheim Steamroller spent their whole career doing, and the kind of thing people hate ELP for bringing about in the first place. But man, this isn't something the band did on a regular basis; this is a one-time joke from a band that never showed on-the-job humor, and it's an opportunity to make complete fools of themselves that the band takes full advantage of. Oh man, Karoli doesn't even try to show any "good taste" or restraint in his guitar sounds on this, a basically note-for-note cover of the original, and it's all for the better. The last track, which is basically variations on "Can-Can," is a hoot too.

A brief review of a largely insignificant album, yes, but an album I'm not sorry to have heard. The band really had no future at this point, and it was a good thing for them to break up, but there have been far worse farewell albums in history, and I'm glad to say that I really like more than twenty minutes of this.

4 stars I find I am always a dissenter when it comes to this album. I own most of the early stuff, and though it is great in it's own way, alot of it was recorded on primitive equipment. And if you haven't figured it out by now, Can was basically an improvising band...what you heard on their albums was ... (read more)

Report this review (#159778) | Posted by ProggaWogga | Friday, January 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I remember hoping and praying for a return to form with this album, and you can tell that the band are trying. But without Czukay it's a hard slog. There's none of the inventive power of the early albums. Nothing here astonishes or delights. In parts the album is almost unlistenably bland. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#35309) | Posted by | Sunday, June 5, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Can"