CAN

3. Sunday Jam (4:17)
4. Sodom (5:43)
5. Aspectacle (5:52)
Side 2
6. EFS No. 99 "Can Can" (3:16)
7. Ping Pong (0:25) Traditional
8. Can be (3:00)

This album was later released under the name "Inner Space" in 1985 under the Thunderbolt label and also included on the 1998 Thunderbolt release: "Inner Space / Out of Reach".

Search CAN Can lyrics

Search CAN Can tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitar, vocal, bass on "Can Be"
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboard, synthesizers
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Rosko Gee / bass
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Can Music

Mute 2014
Vinyl$21.32
Soon Over BabalunaSoon Over Babaluna
Mute 2009
CALLIOPE - I CAN SEE YOU WITH MY EYES CLOSED - NEW CD US $12.25 Buy It Now 29m 52s
EUGENE WILDE *DJ COPY* "I CAN'T STOP........" 45 RPM US $3.99 Buy It Now 30m 7s
THE SOULBENDERS, Hey Joe (Red Label),MI Garage PUNK 45! I Can't Believe In Love! US $5.00 [0 bids]
30m 9s
The Everly Brothers How Can I Meet Her / That's Old Fashioned 45 w PS US $15.00 Buy It Now 31m 17s
Spin Doctors Two Princes / Little Miss Can't Be Wrong 45 Near Mint US $8.50 Buy It Now 31m 17s
The Everly Brothers No One Can Make My Sunshine Smile 45 w PS NM vinyl US $15.00 Buy It Now 31m 17s
MEADOWS BROTHERS I CAN'T UNDERSTAND/WHEELS US KAYVETTE 70s SOUL US $8.10 Buy It Now 31m 29s
BARRY WHITE-CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF YOUR LOVE/I'M GONNA LOVE YOU A...NEW SEALED 12" US $7.98 Buy It Now 31m 43s
Magics / Palisades - Chapel Bells / She Can't Stop Dancing VG++ 1963 SUPER RARE US $64.99 Buy It Now 32m 2s
SONNY STITT Never Can Say Goodbye CADET CA 60040 Stereo NM/NM- US $9.35 Buy It Now 32m 28s
JANET DAILEY and SENSES - If You Can Count - DISCO US $9.99 Buy It Now 33m 22s
MUNGO JERRY CAN'T GET OVER LOVING YOU / LET'S GO UK POLYDOR 70s POP US $8.10 Buy It Now 33m 27s
DAVID CASSIDY/how can I be sure/1972 canada 45 US $5.99 Buy It Now 35m 38s
BETSY ANN FAIELLA - CAN I BE FRANK? - NEW CD US $11.80 Buy It Now 36m 21s
QUIET FIVE HOMEWARD BOUND/ AINT IT FUNNY WHAT SOME LOVIN CAN DO UK PARLOPHONE US $16.22 Buy It Now 36m 26s
JOHN BARR - ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN * [JOHN BARR] - NEW CD US $12.14 Buy It Now 36m 46s
R.B.HUDMON IF YOU DONT CHEAT ON ME / HOW CAN I BE A WITNESS UK ATLANTIC 70s X/O US $11.35 Buy It Now 36m 51s
Tindersticks [II] by Tindersticks 1995, PolyGram And Can Our Love...2001 US $4.99 [0 bids]
37m
KIM WILDE, LOVE BLONDE / CAN YOU HEAR IT. SUPERB KIM IN LEATHER OUTFITS SLEEVE US $1.61 [0 bids]
37m 42s
GREG KIHN PROMO 45 "I Can't Stop Hurting Myself"1980 NM US $7.16 Buy It Now 37m 59s
45 RECORD BOB LIND: SHE CAN GET ALONG, THEME FROM THE MUSIC BOX US $2.60 Buy It Now 38m 32s
DAVID KISOR - I CAN SETTLE DOWN: SONGS OF SELF CONTROL [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $11.01 Buy It Now 39m
Rock 45 THE VOCAL MAJORITY You Can't Too Much Love Into It on Straight Ahead US $5.00 Buy It Now 39m 20s
45 RECORD ERROLL GARNER: JUST BLUES, I CAN'T GET STARTED US $4.48 Buy It Now 39m 37s
BRAD COTTER - CAN'T TELL ME NOTHIN' 1TRK PROMO CD SINGLE B17 US $3.99 Buy It Now 39m 39s
NACHTMAHR - CAN YOU FEEL THE BEAT? [DIGIPAK] * - NEW CD US $12.87 Buy It Now 39m 42s
SOUL ASYLUM "PROMISES BROKEN / CAN'T EVEN TELL" 45w/PS US $3.75 Buy It Now 39m 47s
Gloria Gaynor, Never Can Say Goodbye w.autograph US $15.00 [0 bids]
40m 11s
BLUES 45 - Howlin' Wolf - Smokestack Lightning/Can't Be Beat - Chess - LISTEN! US $22.01 [8 bids]
40m 42s
ELVIS PRESLEY - 50,000,000 ELVIS FANS CAN'T BE WRONG - LP NEW In Shrink 1970's US $13.99 Buy It Now 40m 54s
BILLY SWAN ''I CAN HELP'' 45 ORIGINAL w SLEEVE. VG++ TESTED PERFECT PLAY FREE US $7.50 [0 bids]
41m 16s
Wariner, Steve - Lonely Women Make Good Lovers/I Can Hear Kentucky Calling..(45) US $3.00 Buy It Now 41m 36s
GRENADILLA - CAN'T WAIT - NEW CD US $13.43 Buy It Now 42m 27s
Cole Porter's CAN CAN Sountrack Album (SEALED LP) Sinatra MacLane Chevalier US $28.00 Buy It Now 42m 51s
Carl Mann Some Enchanted Evening/I Can't Forget Promo 3550 45 RPM Vinyl US $25.00 Buy It Now 43m 14s
2 LP Lot John Denver"Autograph" & Don Henley "I Can't Stand Still" US $13.99 Buy It Now 43m 23s
Lawrence Reynolds / Love Can Be a Drag (Sometimes) / 1972 / Columbia / Promo 7" US $5.00 Buy It Now 43m 26s
Toy Planet s/t 1980 LP VG++/NM Electronic Can Irmin Schmidt US $18.00 Buy It Now 43m 45s
Simon & Garfunkel: Two Can Dream Alone ~ Very Good CD (2000, Burning Airlines) US $22.17 Buy It Now 43m 59s
Only Time Can Tell - West End Motel US $10.18 Buy It Now 44m 51s
JACK JACOBS: I Believe Its Alright / You Can Ride For Free 45 (sm label stain) US $275.00 Buy It Now 45m 7s
VINYL 45 Michael Jackson - Billie Jean / Can't Get .. / Instant Classics Label US $8.99 Buy It Now 45m 47s
DAVID KISOR - I CAN DO IT [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $12.87 Buy It Now 45m 54s
DR. EMMETT MILLER (N - I CAN - NEW CD US $13.51 Buy It Now 46m 15s
NOS THE WILLIAM BROTHERS....CAN'T CRY HARD ENOUGH US $8.00 Buy It Now 47m 38s
70s SOUL/NORTHERN SOUL 45 - Barbara Hall - VIP/Can I Count On You - IR - LISTEN! US $5.00 [0 bids]
47m 42s
RAY BARRETTO Can You Feel It '78 Atlantic NM- US $9.99 [0 bids]
49m 25s
Winston Groovy - Heaven Help Us/Can't Do Without Your Love - Pama PM-823A/B US $8.10 [0 bids]
49m 37s
REO SPEEDWAGON-YOU CAN TUNE A PIANO,BUT YOU CANT TUNA FISH-LP US $1.99 [0 bids]
49m 43s
Village People - Can't Stop The Music Original Soundtrack lp NBLP7220 US $6.99 Buy It Now 50m 12s
Lionel Richie Can't Slow Down VG++ LP Vinyl US $1.99 [0 bids]
51m 18s
Chocolate Dandies, I Surrender Dear/I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me US $25.00 Buy It Now 51m 59s
HUMMINGBIRD We Can't Go On Meeting vinyl LP 1976 A&M Records EX made in England US $18.00 Buy It Now 52m 34s
Rock Promo 45 CLAUDJA BARRY Can't You Feel My Heart Beat on Epic (promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 53m 28s
Rock 45 THE NEW COLONY SIX Can't You See Me Cry on Mercury US $5.00 Buy It Now 53m 28s
Rock 45 THE INMATES I Can't Sleep on Polydor US $5.00 Buy It Now 53m 28s
Rock 45 THE NEW COLONY SIX Can't You See Me Cry on Mercury 7" US $5.00 Buy It Now 53m 28s
Saves the Day- Can't Slow Down US $40.00 [2 bids]
54m
STEVE HARLEY -- YES YOU CAN US $7.29 [0 bids]
54m 9s
Sneaky Pinks I Can't Wait 7" EP Nobunny Okmoniks Rubber Vomit Fuc*in Boneshakers US $7.99 [0 bids]
54m 17s
JESSE JOHNSON'S REVUE - CAN YOU HELP ME [7" VINYL 45RPM] US $1.99 Buy It Now 54m 18s
Can't Complain by The Bacon Brothers (CD, Jun-2001, Rounder) US $0.99 [0 bids]
54m 34s
ROSANNE CASH 45 RPM 7" VINYL RECORD ** I WONDER ** OH YES I CAN ** US $1.99 [0 bids]
54m 58s
WOLF,KARL-FACE BEHIND THE FACE (CAN) CD NEW US $26.78 Buy It Now 56m 23s
JEUNESSE - My love (can only get stronger) - 1984 UK 7" Vinyl Single US $61.67 Buy It Now 57m 15s
Glen Gray HEAVEN CAN WAIT / SUNRISE SERENADE 78 RPM US $2.99 [0 bids]
57m 47s
Lot of 3 - Miley Cyrus CDs Breakout, The Time Of Our Lives, Can't Be Tamed US $9.99 [0 bids]
57m 52s
Barry Manilow Can't Smile Without You 45 rpm US $0.99 [0 bids]
58m 17s
I CAN'T GET ENOUGH, Willie Hutch, 45 Northern Soul, USA Original DJ Issue US $48.70 [0 bids]
58m 37s
Ben Wasson 45 Lonely Much Too Long / If You Can't Stop Loving Him US $3.00 [0 bids]
59m 13s
GENESIS We Can't Dance c on Cassette Tape US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h
The Casinos - Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye / I Still Love You (VG) 1973 #966 US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h
Viva Voce - The Heat Can Melt Your Brain (2005) CD SPEEDYPOST US $2.37 Buy It Now 1h
Hard for to Win & Can't be Won - Nathan Salsburg New & Sealed Compact Disc Free US $20.07 Buy It Now 1h 2m
EVERY MOTHER'S NIGHTMARE Love Can Make You Blind Single on Cassette Tape US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
WINGER Can't Get Enuff Cassette Single on Cassette Tape US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
UB40 Can't Help Falling In Love Cassette Single on Cassette Tape US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
JOE COCKER luxury you can afford + inner US $14.59 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Bobby Thrasher 45 Can't You Take A Joke / Me And Love US $3.00 [0 bids]
WILLIAM DE VAUGHN - FIGURES CAN'T CALCULATE LP 1980 (EMI) US $9.72 [0 bids]
8-TRACK CARTRIDGE - CONWAY TWITTY - HOW MUCH MORE CAN SHE STAND - 8 TRACK TAPE US $5.49 [0 bids]
HOTHOUSE FLOWERS " I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW " VG +++ US $3.25 [0 bids]
Ted Nugent - If You Can't Lick 'Em.Lick 'Em (NEW CD) US $12.57 Buy It Now 1h 4m
BLUES ROCK/ Joe Cocker - I Can Stand A Little Rain (LP) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Luke Slater - I Can Complete You [Vinyl New] US $11.10 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Prince Charles - We Can Make It Happe/Jungle Stomp [Vinyl New] US $20.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Three Dog Night - Lair/Can't Get Enough Of It (45,1971) US $2.50 Buy It Now 1h 5m
BOOGIE/JAZZ ~ JACKIE LEE ~ CORAL 61304 "BLUE BOOGIE/CAN'T GIVE U ANYTHING.."1955 US $6.75 [0 bids]
INFADELS Can't Get Enough / Leave Your Body LTD EDITION 7" VINYL NEW US $0.81 [0 bids]
Dana & Gene - Dario, Can You Get Me Into Studio LISTEN US $6.48 Buy It Now 1h 6m
LOVE I CAN FEEL: A GROOVE FOR THE CURE - LOVE I CAN FEEL: A GROOVE F [VINYL NEW] US $18.95 Buy It Now 1h 6m
BEAR HANDS - WHAT A DRAG/CAN'T STICK EM 7 INCH SINGLE [VINYL NEW] US $8.68 Buy It Now 1h 6m
GOOD TIME CHARLIE Stagger Lee If you can't help me baby US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
THE NOTATIONS-I Can't Stop+I'm Still Here-Rarer Northern Soul 45-TWINIGHT #141 US $50.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
k.d. lang - All You Can Eat (1995) US $3.07 Buy It Now 1h 7m
1989 - Awesome Dre - You Can't Hold Me Back / Committing Rhymes - BENTLEY OG! US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
The Cranberries - I Can't Be With You (1994) CD Single US $4.85 [0 bids]
Johnny Horton I Can't Forget You 360 Sound Black Lettering US $15.05 [12 bids]
Can You Feel the Love Tonight by Various Artists (Audio Cassette Sealed) US $6.91 Buy It Now 1h 9m
The Dixie Caps Girls Can Tell / People Say Vinyl 45 US $11.75 Buy It Now 1h 9m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Can ratings distribution

CAN Can reviews

Review by soundsweird
2 stars I guess the inspiration had run out by this time. "Saw Delight" was pretty good, even with the lower-profile contributions of Holger Czukay, but this album finds the group doing a contractual-obligation snoozer. It's been some time since I sold this CD, so it's hard to give a precise post-mortem. I guess the best advice I can give is to stay away from anything after "Saw Delight".

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#23311) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Review by obiter
1 stars Time to review a couple of my least favourite albums ... it could get ugly (well at least it's not Amon Dull)

Cleverly Can lull you into a false sense of security at the opening. All Gates Open is actually quite passable. Not a lot happens, passable in this context is really a euphemism for not mind-numbingly awful. I can't help but think of waling in on a friends' we sister who was playing the family electric organ with a frighteningly annoying drum rhythm playing, and plonking a few keys with a disproportionate sense of glee. Safe is actually worse.

Sunday Jam is a welcome surprise. I found myself getting up and making a cup of tea as I thought the CD had stalled and inane elevator music was filling the gap. No, Sunday Jam is that elevator music. The lack of an elevator in my house should have given it away earlier.

Spectacle is actually quite a pleasant funky Starsky and Hutch number with an echoing mouth harp and some quite smart bass. Despite my prejudice I've got to admit this one is just a little bit groovy.

Ping pong is half a minute a ping pong ball bouncing on a table tennis table, You might think that's a pile of BS but you have to reserve that accolade for the truly dreadful cringe worthy Can Be (Can-can) number. How could anyone think this was a good idea? And even if they did, surely, but surely someone must have realised how hideously irritating and Goon Bay Dance Band this is. The Birdy Song and Grandad sound like prog classics in comparison.

Send comments to obiter (BETA) | Report this review (#169483) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 01, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars When I listen to this album, I keep feeling that I should be seeing Mike Myers, as Dieter on Saturday Night, whining, "Now iss ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance."

This isn't a completely terrible Can album, it does have some listenable jams, but it in no way stands up to the better Can albums. Karoli, Schmidt and company are by no means virtuosos, but with the use of a studio full of effects, they come up with an album full of odd sounding dance tunes, but not terribly progressive ones.

Can? I'm not very certain they could at that point in their history.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221428) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Can's last album exists under three different titles. I've come to know it as Inner Space, but it is also listed as Can and it exists as a package where it is crammed onto one CD together with Out Of Reach. I've always loved this album so as a special tribute I'll post a review for this edition as well.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

Can went through many phases, this album is an example of their smoother and funkier style. It doesn't contain as much innovative aspects as the previous couple of albums but with 5 strong tracks amounting to 30 great minutes it's a solid 4 star again.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255268) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars I guess the iceberg credited with sinking the titanic is destined to have all subsequent achievements measured unfavourably against its coup de grace. CAN is highly regarded among the prog elite and far beyond prog - many artists of the 70s, 80s and beyond name CAN as a significant influence, and these include both other Krautrockers as well as those further afield. While I am only familiar with a small portion of their output, I actually find this late 70s effort to be superior to the contemporaneous work by many of the prog giants of the day.

The playing is inspired, at times virtuous, the beats are infectious, albeit a bit too regular for the average elite prog fan, and the musicality of the exercises shine through all the period trappings in "Safe" and "Sunday Jam". These showcase Michael Karoli's guitar work and Irmin Schmidt's keys. There's generally a lot going on here but it succeeds in being mellow and groovy at the same time. Then again, "Sodom" and "Aspectacled" might be what detractors were referring to, trying to hard to establish a cool vibe, but the latter does have a decent synth theme. Luckily "Can Can", another installment of the ethnological forgery series kicks off its heels and provides welcome levity and clarity.

As someone who is not a fan of Kraut rock per se, my opinion might have more or less value to you depending on where you sit, but it seems that what CAN can do at their erstwhile worst is a pretty decent kick at the can.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#290244) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I actually kinda like this album, as opposed to the last two which I kinda loathed. It's the same lineup as before, so there are certainly many instances of the same noodly boring stuff (or, in the case of "A Spectacle," ill-conceived and incompetent attempts at pop) that I didn't like from these guys before, but there are also tracks where the band's new jamming style seems to mesh. In particular, the opening two tracks, the longest on the album, each manage to keep my attention through almost their entire lengths, which definitely couldn't be said about "Animal Waves" from Saw Delight (which ran almost as long on its own as these two tracks put together). "All Gates Open" combines harmonica in the first part with some actual warmth in Schmidt's tone and note choices, and "Safe" kinda works as a 1979 update of the Flow Motion vibe. It's gritty, it's groovy, and it's sooooo German, (in a Kraftwerk way more than a typical Can way), and I like it, dagnabbit.

The next three tracks take the band into (by now) typical territory, which of course means that the rating inevitably goes down, though at least "Sodom" has somewhat of an air of morbidity. Just when I've resigned myself to the same ole head drooping, though, the album takes the ultimate left turn. Yes, I am speaking of the band's cover of "Can-Can," a track so wrong on every level that I nearly keel over laughing every time, and that's a good thing. I can see why many fans would hate it, of course; this is the kind of thing that Mannheim Steamroller spent their whole career doing, and the kind of thing people hate ELP for bringing about in the first place. But man, this isn't something the band did on a regular basis; this is a one-time joke from a band that never showed on-the-job humor, and it's an opportunity to make complete fools of themselves that the band takes full advantage of. Oh man, Karoli doesn't even try to show any "good taste" or restraint in his guitar sounds on this, a basically note-for-note cover of the original, and it's all for the better. The last track, which is basically variations on "Can-Can," is a hoot too.

A brief review of a largely insignificant album, yes, but an album I'm not sorry to have heard. The band really had no future at this point, and it was a good thing for them to break up, but there have been far worse farewell albums in history, and I'm glad to say that I really like more than twenty minutes of this.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#397742) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011

4 stars I find I am always a dissenter when it comes to this album. I own most of the early stuff, and though it is great in it's own way, alot of it was recorded on primitive equipment. And if you haven't figured it out by now, Can was basically an improvising band...what you heard on their albums was ... (read more)

Report this review (#159778) | Posted by ProggaWogga | Friday, January 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I remember hoping and praying for a return to form with this album, and you can tell that the band are trying. But without Czukay it's a hard slog. There's none of the inventive power of the early albums. Nothing here astonishes or delights. In parts the album is almost unlistenably bland. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#35309) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Can"