CAN

3. Sunday Jam (4:17)
4. Sodom (5:43)
5. Aspectacle (5:52)
Side 2
6. EFS No. 99 "Can Can" (3:16)
7. Ping Pong (0:25) Traditional
8. Can be (3:00)

This album was later released under the name "Inner Space" in 1985 under the Thunderbolt label and also included on the 1998 Thunderbolt release: "Inner Space / Out of Reach".

Search CAN Can lyrics

Search CAN Can tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitar, vocal, bass on "Can Be"
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboard, synthesizers
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Rosko Gee / bass
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Can Music

CanCan
Hybrid SACD - DSD · Remastered
Mute (Artist Intelligence) 2006
PICTURE SLEEVE 7" - Bad manners - Can can - mag 190 USD $10.94 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Bad Manners Can Can / Armchair Disco 1981 7" Inch Vinyl Single Mag190 USD $10.91 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Benny Carter - Can Can and Anythign Goes / Aspects [2 albums on 1 CD], Shelly M. USD $16.39 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Benny Carter - Can Can and Anythign Goes / Aspects [2 albums on 1. 843654201559. USD $14.27 Buy It Now 3h 29m
CAMEOS the Best of Can Can 6-song sampler 45 w000 USD $20.00 [0 bids]
J. OFFENBACH The French Can-Can Polka SHEET MUSIC Australia USD $7.27 Buy It Now 9h 10m
C'EST MAGNIFIQUE Cole Porter SHEET MUSIC Australia CAN-CAN USD $7.27 Buy It Now 9h 10m
SEALED Cole Porter CAN-CAN Film Soundtrack LP SINATRA USD $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 15m
Buggs Can Can and Triggerman: Y2G's by Showboys (CD, Apr-2000, Papergame... USD $35.99 Buy It Now 10h 36m
CAN-CAN FRANK SINATRA SHIRLEY MACLAINE SEALED 12" LP RECORD CAPITOL SM-1301 USD $2.99 [0 bids]
GENEVIEVE s/t, ORIGINAL 1959 LP RECORD, NEAR MINT! C'est Magnifique, Can-Can... USD $12.95 Buy It Now 13h 12m
The Pointer Sisters-Yes We Can Can CD NEW USD $9.40 Buy It Now 13h 29m
CAN CAN - COLE PORTER *RARE* CELEBRITY UT 160 - IN SHRINK LP VINYL RECORD -D USD $5.99 Buy It Now 13h 51m
Can- can (Mini Lp) (CD) USD $29.99 Buy It Now 15h 13m
The Pointer Sisters - Yes We Can Can (The Best of the Blue Thumb Recordings,... USD $3.11 [1 bids]
JIVE BUNNY AND THE MASTERMIXERS - CAN CAN YOU PARTY 12" RECORD /VINYL - MFDT 007 USD $5.09 Buy It Now 23h 46m
THE POINTER SISTERS, Yes We Can Can-Jada, 45 BLUE THUMB BTA 229 1973 VG+ NEW USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Bad Manners - Can Can Mint UK 7" single with picture sleeve M/M USD $12.52 Buy It Now 1 day
Bad Manners - Can Can UK 7" single with picture sleeve EX/NM USD $9.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Bad Manners - Can Can UK 7" single with picture sleeve VG/VG USD $7.83 Buy It Now 1 day
BAD MANNERS - Can Can - 1981 UK 7" Juke Box Vinyl Single USD $10.94 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPITOL label company sleeve - red ink on brown stock; plugs "Can-Can" - 7" USD $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
COLE PORTER'S CAN CAN ( VINYL LP ) USD $6.24 Buy It Now 1 day
LIGHT SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA Strauss Polkas / Offenbach Can Can 12" 78 HMV C2963 USD $20.33 Buy It Now 1 day
NORTON YORK TRIO - COME AND WATCH EM CAN-CAN 7" RARE EP Up The Junction USD $7.03 Buy It Now 1 day
Can-Can Music From Cole Porter's Broadway Hit Show 33 rpm Paris Record LP Vinyl USD $22.32 Buy It Now 1 day
KNOWONE - NEVER / BOOMSHANKA MIX 4 TRACK 12" Vinyl (CAN CAN) CLASSIC PIANO HOUSE USD $11.72 Buy It Now 1 day
Maurice Chevalier : Maurice Chevalier Sings Can Can : 4 Track EP USD $9.06 Buy It Now 1 day
Stainless Steel / Can-Can / LP NM USD $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
3 LPs by POINTER SISTERS - S/T W/YES WE CAN CAN & 2 LP BEST OF - ON BLUE THUMB USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GORDON JENKINS/CAN CAN US ED2058 USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Carnival in Coal-French Can Can CD ..... Insane covers USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Music of Gaite Parisienne Featuring The Can Can - Royale 18175 10" Long Play USD $6.50 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN-CAN OST Sinatra, MacLaine Orig 1960 Capitol SW1301 Stereo New Old Stock USD $16.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE POINTER SISTERS Self Titled LP BLUE THUMB yes we can can USD $2.50 Buy It Now 1 day
London Theatre Company/KISMET & CAN CAN/Richmond-London B 20077 Sealed NEW USD $20.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SOUNDTRACK " CAN - CAN" FRANK SINATRA CAPITOL UK PRESS VINYL LP ALBUM USD $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Frank Sinatra Can-Can Soundtrack vinyl LP album record UK W1301 CAPITOL 1960 USD $29.02 Buy It Now 1 day
Can-Can Nelson Riddle USA vinyl LP album record T1365 CAPITOL 1960 USD $38.38 Buy It Now 1 day
Frank Sinatra Can-Can UK vinyl LP album record SW1301 CAPITOL 1960 USD $27.46 Buy It Now 1 day
BAD MANNERS "CAN CAN" "ARMCHAIR DISCO" MAGNET MAG190 VG/+ 1981 SKA see others ! USD $3.13 Buy It Now 1 day
Can-Can - Soundtrack LP w/ Frank Sinatra, Shirley MacLaine USD $4.88 Buy It Now 2 days
MIMI BENZELL AND FELIX KNIGHT can can ep 7" PS EX/EX uk bravo USD $10.94 Buy It Now 2 days
JIVE BUNNY can can you party 7" WS EX/ noc uk music factory MFD007 USD $11.66 Buy It Now 2 days
NELSON RIDDLE can can CAPS 2400161 uk Capitol LP PS EX/EX USD $14.40 Buy It Now 2 days
Frank Sinatra, Can-Can, Capitol SM-1301, Original Soundtrack, SEALED! USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Frank Sinatra & Others - Can-Can - Soundtrack - Vinyl Soundtracks USD $16.09 Buy It Now 2 days
Live From the Masque, Vol. 2: We We Can Can Do Do What What USD $13.59 Buy It Now 2 days
Can-Can Original Soundtrack Album UK Stereo LP Frank Sinatra Shirley MacLaine USD $12.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Pop Promo Nm! 45 Jose Felicano - Yes We Can Can / Yes We Can Can On Rca USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
BAD MANNERS - CAN CAN - 7" PIC SL/V - 1981 - MAG 190 USD $1.55 [0 bids]
Kismet and Can Can London Theatre Company Orchestra 4 Track 7 1/2 Reel to Reel USD $11.80 Buy It Now 2 days
Benny Carter CAN CAN AND ANYTHING GOES + ASPECTS cd NEW USD $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
COLE PORTER: CAN-CAN - ORIGINAL BROADWAY CAST 1953 - EXCELLENT CD USD $6.24 [0 bids]
ARTHUR FIEDLER Can-Can: An Offenbach Festival LP RCA AGL1-1963 VG+ Boston Pops USD $9.49 Buy It Now 2 days
The London Theatre Company Presents - Kismet, Can Can USD $0.99 [0 bids]
ME AND JULIET AND CAN CAN DUEL SOUNDTRACK LP 133 USD $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Bizet: Suite from Carmen - Adelaide Symphony, Serebrier 1982 Tioch vinyl Can-Can USD $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN-CAN Original Soundtrack, orig Capitol mono vinyl LP, 1960, VG, Frank Sinatra USD $3.74 Buy It Now 2 days
Can Can LP SS Original Soundtrack USD $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
LP NELSON RIDDLE PLAYS MUSIC FROM CAN CAN 1961 CAPITOL USD $12.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Cole Porter's Can-Can Original Soundtrack- Capitol LP Record USD $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Can-Can - Broadway Musical - CD USD $7.30 Buy It Now 2 days
Alyson Williams - Yes We Can Can (LISTEN) WL Promo USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Reel to Reel tape, All Star Festival Firebird Can-Can Battle Hymn Hoe-Down USD $7.99 [0 bids]
Jack Costanzo's Afro Can Can Reel to Reel 4 Track 7.5 ips Liberty LT-7137 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE DISCOETTES - DISCO DANCE PARTY * RARE OZ FUNK LP BREAKS YES WE CAN CAN USD $36.54 Buy It Now 2 days
Bad Manners - Can Can UK 7" USD $6.24 Buy It Now 2 days
Arthur Fiedler - Medleys From Can Can & Wonderful Town (7" RCA ERA-131) VG USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BOSTON POPS ORCHESTRA - CAN-CAN - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD 1957 USD $7.23 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN - CAN (INNER SPACE), 1990 LIMITED EDITION 180G vinyl LP, NEW - SEALED! USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER JAY AND THE JAYWALKERS ~ CAN-CAN '62 ~ 1962 ~ DECCA ~ U.K. 45 USD $0.77 [0 bids]
7" single, Can Can by Bad Manners. USD $1.55 [0 bids]
Jive Bunny Can Can You Party CD USD $4.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Various OST(Vinyl LP 1st Issue)Can-Can-Capitol-SW 1301-UK-NM/NM USD $39.11 Buy It Now 2 days
CDSPOON28 - CAN - CAN USD $16.39 Buy It Now 3 days
Various Artists : Can-Can and Other Dances from the Opera CD (1995) USD $4.47 Buy It Now 3 days
FRANK SINATRA SHIRLEY MACLAINE ORIG 1960 U.K. LP CAN CAN EXCELLENT USD $18.77 Buy It Now 3 days
Pointer Sisters - Best of (2 LP set) (Sealed) ("Steam Heat", "Yes We Can Can") USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
A.Fiedler / Boston Pops "Can-Can" (An Offenback Festival) (S) USD $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
CAN CAN CD 11 TRACK PROMO ONLY + NUMBERED CARD P/S (1997) UK USD $23.48 Buy It Now 3 days
Frank Sinatra & Others - Can-Can - Soundtrack - Vinyl Soundtracks USD $18.61 Buy It Now 3 days
FREAKY REALISTIC Reach CD 4 Track Featuring Can Can Mix, D-street Dub,joy For Li USD $3.91 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER JAY & THE JAY WALKERS Redskins Decca 7" F11531 C/w Can-Can 62 USD $1.55 [0 bids]
CAN CAN Lilo/Gwen Verdon/Hans Conried 1953 CAPITOL LP NM/VG+ USD $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Bernard Peiffer-Plays Cole Porter's Can-Can-Laurie 1008-NICE USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LIO Can Can 837355-1 LP Bc1497 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
PULSE Can can girl Burrit Bradley heavy psych promo USD $13.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Yes We Can Can - Pointer Sisters (CD Used Very Good) USD $7.17 Buy It Now 3 days
Yes We Can Can: The Best of the Blue Thumb Recordings by The Pointer Sisters... USD $6.19 Buy It Now 3 days
Pointer Sisters - Yes We Can Can (CD New) USD $8.64 Buy It Now 3 days
CAN-CAN ORIGINAL BROADWAY CAST CASSETTE, GREAT MUSIC USD $0.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SLY & ROBBIE Yes We Can Can 7" promo dubby NOLA soul USD $3.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Pointer Sisters - Yes We Can Can [CD New] USD $9.17 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER JAY & THE JAYWALKRS 7" VINYL C/S CAN-CAN '62 DECCA F 11531 1962 USD $5.09 Buy It Now 3 days
The Pointer Sisters - Yes We Can Can: Best of the Blue Thumb Recordings CD NEW USD $14.54 Buy It Now 3 days
CAN - CAN (REMASTERED) CD 8 TRACKS ROCK/KRAUTROCK NEW+ USD $22.33 Buy It Now 3 days
APOLLO 100 Joy 7" B/w Can Can Pic Sleeve UK Youngblood 1980 USD $7.81 Buy It Now 3 days
BAD MANNERS Can Can 7" B/w Armchair Disco Pic Sleeve UK Magnet 1981 USD $7.81 Buy It Now 3 days
VINTAGE SHEET MUSIC * OFFENBACH * CAN-CAN * EASY PIANO USD $7.31 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Can ratings distribution

CAN Can reviews

Review by soundsweird
2 stars I guess the inspiration had run out by this time. "Saw Delight" was pretty good, even with the lower-profile contributions of Holger Czukay, but this album finds the group doing a contractual-obligation snoozer. It's been some time since I sold this CD, so it's hard to give a precise post-mortem. I guess the best advice I can give is to stay away from anything after "Saw Delight".

Review by obiter
1 stars Time to review a couple of my least favourite albums ... it could get ugly (well at least it's not Amon Dull)

Cleverly Can lull you into a false sense of security at the opening. All Gates Open is actually quite passable. Not a lot happens, passable in this context is really a euphemism for not mind-numbingly awful. I can't help but think of waling in on a friends' we sister who was playing the family electric organ with a frighteningly annoying drum rhythm playing, and plonking a few keys with a disproportionate sense of glee. Safe is actually worse.

Sunday Jam is a welcome surprise. I found myself getting up and making a cup of tea as I thought the CD had stalled and inane elevator music was filling the gap. No, Sunday Jam is that elevator music. The lack of an elevator in my house should have given it away earlier.

Spectacle is actually quite a pleasant funky Starsky and Hutch number with an echoing mouth harp and some quite smart bass. Despite my prejudice I've got to admit this one is just a little bit groovy.

Ping pong is half a minute a ping pong ball bouncing on a table tennis table, You might think that's a pile of BS but you have to reserve that accolade for the truly dreadful cringe worthy Can Be (Can-can) number. How could anyone think this was a good idea? And even if they did, surely, but surely someone must have realised how hideously irritating and Goon Bay Dance Band this is. The Birdy Song and Grandad sound like prog classics in comparison.

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
2 stars When I listen to this album, I keep feeling that I should be seeing Mike Myers, as Dieter on Saturday Night, whining, "Now iss ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance."

This isn't a completely terrible Can album, it does have some listenable jams, but it in no way stands up to the better Can albums. Karoli, Schmidt and company are by no means virtuosos, but with the use of a studio full of effects, they come up with an album full of odd sounding dance tunes, but not terribly progressive ones.

Can? I'm not very certain they could at that point in their history.

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Can's last album exists under three different titles. I've come to know it as Inner Space, but it is also listed as Can and it exists as a package where it is crammed onto one CD together with Out Of Reach. I've always loved this album so as a special tribute I'll post a review for this edition as well.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

Can went through many phases, this album is an example of their smoother and funkier style. It doesn't contain as much innovative aspects as the previous couple of albums but with 5 strong tracks amounting to 30 great minutes it's a solid 4 star again.

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars I guess the iceberg credited with sinking the titanic is destined to have all subsequent achievements measured unfavourably against its coup de grace. CAN is highly regarded among the prog elite and far beyond prog - many artists of the 70s, 80s and beyond name CAN as a significant influence, and these include both other Krautrockers as well as those further afield. While I am only familiar with a small portion of their output, I actually find this late 70s effort to be superior to the contemporaneous work by many of the prog giants of the day.

The playing is inspired, at times virtuous, the beats are infectious, albeit a bit too regular for the average elite prog fan, and the musicality of the exercises shine through all the period trappings in "Safe" and "Sunday Jam". These showcase Michael Karoli's guitar work and Irmin Schmidt's keys. There's generally a lot going on here but it succeeds in being mellow and groovy at the same time. Then again, "Sodom" and "Aspectacled" might be what detractors were referring to, trying to hard to establish a cool vibe, but the latter does have a decent synth theme. Luckily "Can Can", another installment of the ethnological forgery series kicks off its heels and provides welcome levity and clarity.

As someone who is not a fan of Kraut rock per se, my opinion might have more or less value to you depending on where you sit, but it seems that what CAN can do at their erstwhile worst is a pretty decent kick at the can.

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I actually kinda like this album, as opposed to the last two which I kinda loathed. It's the same lineup as before, so there are certainly many instances of the same noodly boring stuff (or, in the case of "A Spectacle," ill-conceived and incompetent attempts at pop) that I didn't like from these guys before, but there are also tracks where the band's new jamming style seems to mesh. In particular, the opening two tracks, the longest on the album, each manage to keep my attention through almost their entire lengths, which definitely couldn't be said about "Animal Waves" from Saw Delight (which ran almost as long on its own as these two tracks put together). "All Gates Open" combines harmonica in the first part with some actual warmth in Schmidt's tone and note choices, and "Safe" kinda works as a 1979 update of the Flow Motion vibe. It's gritty, it's groovy, and it's sooooo German, (in a Kraftwerk way more than a typical Can way), and I like it, dagnabbit.

The next three tracks take the band into (by now) typical territory, which of course means that the rating inevitably goes down, though at least "Sodom" has somewhat of an air of morbidity. Just when I've resigned myself to the same ole head drooping, though, the album takes the ultimate left turn. Yes, I am speaking of the band's cover of "Can-Can," a track so wrong on every level that I nearly keel over laughing every time, and that's a good thing. I can see why many fans would hate it, of course; this is the kind of thing that Mannheim Steamroller spent their whole career doing, and the kind of thing people hate ELP for bringing about in the first place. But man, this isn't something the band did on a regular basis; this is a one-time joke from a band that never showed on-the-job humor, and it's an opportunity to make complete fools of themselves that the band takes full advantage of. Oh man, Karoli doesn't even try to show any "good taste" or restraint in his guitar sounds on this, a basically note-for-note cover of the original, and it's all for the better. The last track, which is basically variations on "Can-Can," is a hoot too.

A brief review of a largely insignificant album, yes, but an album I'm not sorry to have heard. The band really had no future at this point, and it was a good thing for them to break up, but there have been far worse farewell albums in history, and I'm glad to say that I really like more than twenty minutes of this.

4 stars I find I am always a dissenter when it comes to this album. I own most of the early stuff, and though it is great in it's own way, alot of it was recorded on primitive equipment. And if you haven't figured it out by now, Can was basically an improvising band...what you heard on their albums was ... (read more)

Report this review (#159778) | Posted by ProggaWogga | Friday, January 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I remember hoping and praying for a return to form with this album, and you can tell that the band are trying. But without Czukay it's a hard slog. There's none of the inventive power of the early albums. Nothing here astonishes or delights. In parts the album is almost unlistenably bland. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#35309) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Can"