CAN

3. Sunday Jam (4:17)
4. Sodom (5:43)
5. Aspectacle (5:52)
Side 2
6. EFS No. 99 "Can Can" (3:16)
7. Ping Pong (0:25) Traditional
8. Can be (3:00)

This album was later released under the name "Inner Space" in 1985 under the Thunderbolt label and also included on the 1998 Thunderbolt release: "Inner Space / Out of Reach".

Search CAN Can lyrics

Search CAN Can tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitar, vocal, bass on "Can Be"
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboard, synthesizers
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Rosko Gee / bass
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Can Music

CanCan
Hybrid SACD - DSD · Remastered
Mute (Artist Intelligence) 2006
Cole Porter- American Musicals- Kiss Me,Kate,Can Can,Anything Goes Box Set 3LPS USD $21.24 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Jive Bunny Can Can You Party 7" Single Music Factory Label MFD007 USD $5.42 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Cole Porter's CAN-CAN Soundtrack Record Album Sinatra USD $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Album By Frank Sinatra, "Original Soundtrack To Can-Can" on Capitol USD $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 14m
LOUIS CLARK (THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA) Hooked On A Can Can 7" RCA 1981 USD $5.77 Buy It Now 8h 31m
CAN CAN CD 11 TRACK PROMO ONLY + NUMBERED CARD P/S (1997) UK USD $18.07 Buy It Now 10h 45m
PETER JAY AND THE JAYWALKERS "CAN-CAN '62" 45RPM SINGLE DECCA F11531 USD $4.34 [0 bids]
CAN**CAN (180 GRAM/RM/WITH DOWNLOAD)**VINYL USD $12.91 Buy It Now 11h 35m
Bad Manners Can Can 7" Magnet MAG190 EX/EX 1981 Can Can/Armchair Disco, picture USD $9.38 Buy It Now 12h 9m
Mantovani World Of inc Hava Nagila Can Can Cara Mia + Cassette Tape - TESTED USD $8.67 Buy It Now 12h 12m
BAD MANNERS / CAN CAN - ARMCHAIR DISCO 7" SINGLE 1981 EMI / POST INCLUDED USD $4.32 Buy It Now 12h 43m
IRENE HILDA CAN CAN & CAN I LOVE PARIS & C'EST MAGNIFIQUE PARLOPHONE R3945 USD $3.61 Buy It Now 13h 13m
Norton York Trio - Come & Watch Em Can-Can 7" EP USD $33.25 Buy It Now 14h 8m
Can Can Frank Sinatra Shirley MacLaine W1301 LP USD $10.16 Buy It Now 15h 47m
CD Can Can Film Musicals Collection New and sealed USD $2.17 [0 bids]
BAD MANNERS - CAN CAN - A1/B1 - 7" VINYL USD $1.81 [0 bids]
Razzberry Reynolds Polka Band Can Can Polka Billboard March 45 rpm Bowery Record USD $6.80 Buy It Now 17h 48m
Can, Can SACD - Remastered Edition Super Audio CD USD $15.18 [0 bids]
Sounds Of A Thousand Strings, Can Can, LP Record (L8) PYE, GG437, 12" 33RPM USD $7.08 Buy It Now 20h 34m
Alyson Williams - Yes We Can Can - U.S. PROMO 12" VINYL USD $6.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Can Can Shirley Booth Rosalind Russell Swan Lake Jack Carson 45 record box lot 5 USD $23.95 Buy It Now 1 day
JOHN SENATI CAN-CAN AND OTHER COLE PORTER FAVORITES VINYL LP USD $11.04 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN-CAN OST Frank Sinatra Shirley MacLaine 1960 STEREO Capitol SW 1301 USD $14.44 Buy It Now 1 day
BAD MANNERS 7" Vinyl Single 1981 CAN CAN. **Free UK Postage** USD $5.77 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN-CAN OST Frank Sinatra Shirley MacLaine Nelson Riddle (Capitol T 746) USD $7.21 Buy It Now 1 day
Can - Can 2006 Remaster (NEW CD) USD $15.53 Buy It Now 1 day
33RPM Vinyl JAZZ RECORD BERNARD PEIFFER Plays Porters Can-Can Laurie LLP1008 VG+ USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SECRETS EP HAWAII 5 0 SILENCE IS GOLDEN CAN CAN 7" bs 1 uk 1978 not on label USD $10.11 Buy It Now 1 day
JIVE BUNNY - CAN CAN YOU PARTY - 7" SINGLE USD $1.43 Buy It Now 1 day
CD MANTOVANI CONCERT ENCORES CLAIR DE LUNE CAN CAN ZIGEUNERWEISEN SONG OF INDIA USD $5.77 Buy It Now 1 day
Stainless Steal- Can-Can- rare new/sealed cassette tape USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
COLLAGE DO THE CAN CAN 4TRK SINGLE CD USD $6.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Louis Clark - Hooked On A Can Can - ** EXCELLENT CONDITION ** 12" Single Vinyl USD $7.16 Buy It Now 1 day
JOSE FELICIANO: Yes We Can Can / Mono 45 (dj, Steve Cropper involvement) Funk USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Cole Porter's Can-Can OST Frank Sinatra Shirley MacLaine + Cassette Tape TESTED USD $10.12 Buy It Now 1 day
Vintage THEATRE FAVORITES CAN CAN Reel to Reel Tape 7 1/2 IPS USD $3.95 Buy It Now 1 day
SEALED Soundtrack CAN-CAN Capitol Frank Sinatra, Shirley MacLaine USD $9.10 Buy It Now 1 day
Stainless Steal: Can-Can LP USD $6.80 Buy It Now 1 day
Can Can En Lek I Forhold LP Vinyl Alt Rock 1984 RARE NM Nena Athens Norway REM USD $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BAD MANNERS 7" VINYL . CAN CAN USD $1.43 [0 bids]
Bernard Peiffer ORIG US LP Cole Porters Can-can EX 1960 DG Laurie LLP1008 MONO USD $17.67 Buy It Now 1 day
SELECTIONS FROM "GIGI" AND FRENCH CAN CAN MUSIC LP 196? USD $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Funk 45 POINTER SISTERS Yes We Can Can BLUE THUMB VG+ HEAR USD $8.00 [0 bids]
Lot of 4 CAPITOL Records sleeves (Can-Can) - 10 inch No records, just sleeves USD $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Bad Manners Can Can Armchair Disco 7" Single - EX USD $2.01 Buy It Now 2 days
BAD MANNERS - CAN CAN - 7" VINYL 1981 MAGNET USD $4.47 Buy It Now 2 days
V/A - Can Can: A Celebration Of The Music Of Cole Porter (UK 20 Tk CD Album) USD $13.00 Buy It Now 2 days
WARSER GATE & CAN CAN HEADS Split 7" INDIE 1998 USD $1.81 Buy It Now 2 days
The Broadway Musicals Series: Can-Can [Audio CD] CAN-CAN BROADWAY MUSICAL USD $19.76 Buy It Now 2 days
"Can Can" Original Soundtrack Album LP USD $2.47 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER JAY & JAYWALKERS.REDSKINS / CAN-CAN '62.UK ORIG 7".EX USD $6.87 Buy It Now 2 days
THE POINTER SISTERS~SELF TITLED~contains YES WE CAN CAN~12" LP **NM ORIGINAL** USD $1.97 Buy It Now 2 days
COLE PORTER CAN-CAN Jennie Gray Ricky Barker (Vinyl LP) VG/VG USD $7.21 Buy It Now 2 days
4 SCORE: Mini- Skirt-Kalamazoo Can Can Kangaroo-U.S. 7" 21 Blackjack Records 110 USD $148.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Jay & The Jaywalkers Can-Can '62 7"UK ORIG Instrumental Joe Meek/RGM Decca USD $1.43 Buy It Now 2 days
SECRETS EP HAWAII 5 0 SILENCE IS GOLDEN CAN CAN CARRIE ANNE JIG A JIG bs 1 USD $16.63 Buy It Now 2 days
Can Can Frank Sinatra Shirley MacLaine SW 1301 USD $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Rock 45 THE POINTER SISTERS Yes We Can Can on Blue Tumb USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Can - Can 180 Gram LP - SEALED new copy - Rock USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Not Found - can can film musicals collection, Not Found, New CD USD $1.43 Buy It Now 2 days
OST / CAN - CAN W1301 LP Dm0141 USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Can - Can Opener (Scarce Import Comp Orig 1976 UK w/ Holger Czukay USD $50.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Bad Manners - Can Can (2006) - Used - Compact Disc USD $5.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Terry Gibbs Quintet, Cole Porter Can Can LP mono Verve 1959 exotica lounge jazz USD $8.00 Buy It Now 3 days
CAN Can LP NEW VINYL Spoon 180g Remastered Traffic USD $19.98 Buy It Now 3 days
DIORIS VALLADARES - LAS BATATAS/EL CAN CAN 45 ANSONIA MERENGUE HEAR IT! USD $2.99 [0 bids]
CAN-CAN LP Soundtrack Frank Sinatra, Shirley MacLaine 1960 Mono reissue NM USD $4.49 Buy It Now 3 days
Pointer Sisters,First Hit,1973, Yes We Can Can,original Canada 45 USD $14.99 [0 bids]
Can Can-1960- Original Movie Soundtrack LP USD $14.13 Buy It Now 3 days
Can - Can - 1953 Lilo - Original Broadway Cast LP USD $14.13 Buy It Now 3 days
Oklahoma/Can Can [Audio CD] Riddle, Nelson USD $24.39 Buy It Now 3 days
Original Soundtrack Can-Can - Sealed vinyl LP album record Spanish 5 USD $20.17 Buy It Now 3 days
ETHEL SMITH Organ The French Can Can Polka 78 BRUNSWICK 04479 USD $18.78 Buy It Now 3 days
C'EST MAGNIFIQUE "CAN CAN" - IRENE HILDA Coliseum Orchestra 78rpm 1950's VINTAGE USD $20.89 Buy It Now 3 days
CAN-CAN - MOVIE SOUNDTRACK - COLE PORTER VG VINYL LP RECORD - F USD $2.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SCOTTISH & IRISH DANCES/CAN-CAN - Loch Lomond/Irish Jig/On The Left Bank USD $7.00 Buy It Now 3 days
POINTER SISTERS: Yes We Can Can / Jada 45 Funk USD $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Bu Devirde CD Padisah Tovbeler olsun Cici Kiz Sibel Can Can'la Turkish music USD $16.00 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER JAY AND THE JAYWALKERS - REDSKINS + CAN-CAN '62 ORIGINAL 1962 DECCA EX USD $4.32 Buy It Now 3 days
BAD MANNERS - Can Can / Armchair Disco - P/S 7" vinyl Magnet MAG 190 1980s USD $5.77 [0 bids]
FRANK SINATRA & SHIRLEY MCLAINE CAN -CAN CAPITOL RECORDS UK VINYL LP USED MONO** USD $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BARRY DE VORZON TEEN POP PROMO 45 THE CAN-CAN LADIES COLUMBIA RECORDS USD $8.00 [0 bids]
Orquestas Can- can "Las Tandas del Can - Can, Café concert " LP VG+ GATEFOLD USD $2.76 Buy It Now 4 days
SOUNDTRACK cole porter's can can LP VG UK SW 1301 Vinyl 1960 Record USD $10.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Jack Costanzo - Afro Can-Can? LP VG+ LST 7137 Liberty Stereo 1960 Vinyl USA USD $25.00 Buy It Now 4 days
ME AND JULIET AND CAN CAN DUEL SOUNDTRACK LP 133 USD $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
SOUNDTRACK cole porter's can can LP Mint- UTS 160 Vinyl Record USD $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Kismet and Can Can London Theatre Company Orchestra 7" Reel to Reel Tape USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
SKANDI GIRLS Do The Can Can CD 2 Tracks Inc Santa Xmas Mix USD $4.03 Buy It Now 4 days
Cole Porter's Can-Can Original Soundtrack- Capitol LP Record USD $10.00 Buy It Now 4 days
BAD MANNERS # CAN CAN # ITALIAN PRESSING # 7" VINYL SINGLE USD $4.32 Buy It Now 4 days
Peter Jay and The Jaywalkers - Can Can 62/Redskins (F 11531) Ex USD $4.55 Buy It Now 4 days
TERRY GIBBS QUINTET Music From Cole Porter's Can Can LP Verve VS 6145 stereo DG USD $4.79 Buy It Now 4 days
Pop Promo NM! 45 JOSE FELICIANO Yes We Can Can on RCA (promo) 4 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days
THE COMEDIANS can Can / Coquettes / Wind Up Toys 7 inch 45 USD $1.79 Buy It Now 4 days
ALYSON WILLIAMS YES WE CAN CAN PROMO 12" SINGLE USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
:-=-: Rare Frank Sinatra & others LP Can-Can Original Soundtrack Vinyl :-=-: USD $8.60 Buy It Now 4 days
Cole Porter's Can Can Motion Sound Track Frank Sinatra Vinyl High Fidelity 33 USD $5.00 [0 bids]
Can Can In FULL SOUND TRACK FIDELITY Cole Porter's Songs & Music LP Coronet Ster USD $1.00 Buy It Now 5 days
WOW! Can Can Bunny Extra 2 (CD 1995) Super RARE! Japan! USD $22.49 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Can ratings distribution

CAN Can reviews

Review by soundsweird
2 stars I guess the inspiration had run out by this time. "Saw Delight" was pretty good, even with the lower-profile contributions of Holger Czukay, but this album finds the group doing a contractual-obligation snoozer. It's been some time since I sold this CD, so it's hard to give a precise post-mortem. I guess the best advice I can give is to stay away from anything after "Saw Delight".

Review by obiter
1 stars Time to review a couple of my least favourite albums ... it could get ugly (well at least it's not Amon Dull)

Cleverly Can lull you into a false sense of security at the opening. All Gates Open is actually quite passable. Not a lot happens, passable in this context is really a euphemism for not mind-numbingly awful. I can't help but think of waling in on a friends' we sister who was playing the family electric organ with a frighteningly annoying drum rhythm playing, and plonking a few keys with a disproportionate sense of glee. Safe is actually worse.

Sunday Jam is a welcome surprise. I found myself getting up and making a cup of tea as I thought the CD had stalled and inane elevator music was filling the gap. No, Sunday Jam is that elevator music. The lack of an elevator in my house should have given it away earlier.

Spectacle is actually quite a pleasant funky Starsky and Hutch number with an echoing mouth harp and some quite smart bass. Despite my prejudice I've got to admit this one is just a little bit groovy.

Ping pong is half a minute a ping pong ball bouncing on a table tennis table, You might think that's a pile of BS but you have to reserve that accolade for the truly dreadful cringe worthy Can Be (Can-can) number. How could anyone think this was a good idea? And even if they did, surely, but surely someone must have realised how hideously irritating and Goon Bay Dance Band this is. The Birdy Song and Grandad sound like prog classics in comparison.

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
2 stars When I listen to this album, I keep feeling that I should be seeing Mike Myers, as Dieter on Saturday Night, whining, "Now iss ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance."

This isn't a completely terrible Can album, it does have some listenable jams, but it in no way stands up to the better Can albums. Karoli, Schmidt and company are by no means virtuosos, but with the use of a studio full of effects, they come up with an album full of odd sounding dance tunes, but not terribly progressive ones.

Can? I'm not very certain they could at that point in their history.

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Can's last album exists under three different titles. I've come to know it as Inner Space, but it is also listed as Can and it exists as a package where it is crammed onto one CD together with Out Of Reach. I've always loved this album so as a special tribute I'll post a review for this edition as well.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

Can went through many phases, this album is an example of their smoother and funkier style. It doesn't contain as much innovative aspects as the previous couple of albums but with 5 strong tracks amounting to 30 great minutes it's a solid 4 star again.

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars I guess the iceberg credited with sinking the titanic is destined to have all subsequent achievements measured unfavourably against its coup de grace. CAN is highly regarded among the prog elite and far beyond prog - many artists of the 70s, 80s and beyond name CAN as a significant influence, and these include both other Krautrockers as well as those further afield. While I am only familiar with a small portion of their output, I actually find this late 70s effort to be superior to the contemporaneous work by many of the prog giants of the day.

The playing is inspired, at times virtuous, the beats are infectious, albeit a bit too regular for the average elite prog fan, and the musicality of the exercises shine through all the period trappings in "Safe" and "Sunday Jam". These showcase Michael Karoli's guitar work and Irmin Schmidt's keys. There's generally a lot going on here but it succeeds in being mellow and groovy at the same time. Then again, "Sodom" and "Aspectacled" might be what detractors were referring to, trying to hard to establish a cool vibe, but the latter does have a decent synth theme. Luckily "Can Can", another installment of the ethnological forgery series kicks off its heels and provides welcome levity and clarity.

As someone who is not a fan of Kraut rock per se, my opinion might have more or less value to you depending on where you sit, but it seems that what CAN can do at their erstwhile worst is a pretty decent kick at the can.

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I actually kinda like this album, as opposed to the last two which I kinda loathed. It's the same lineup as before, so there are certainly many instances of the same noodly boring stuff (or, in the case of "A Spectacle," ill-conceived and incompetent attempts at pop) that I didn't like from these guys before, but there are also tracks where the band's new jamming style seems to mesh. In particular, the opening two tracks, the longest on the album, each manage to keep my attention through almost their entire lengths, which definitely couldn't be said about "Animal Waves" from Saw Delight (which ran almost as long on its own as these two tracks put together). "All Gates Open" combines harmonica in the first part with some actual warmth in Schmidt's tone and note choices, and "Safe" kinda works as a 1979 update of the Flow Motion vibe. It's gritty, it's groovy, and it's sooooo German, (in a Kraftwerk way more than a typical Can way), and I like it, dagnabbit.

The next three tracks take the band into (by now) typical territory, which of course means that the rating inevitably goes down, though at least "Sodom" has somewhat of an air of morbidity. Just when I've resigned myself to the same ole head drooping, though, the album takes the ultimate left turn. Yes, I am speaking of the band's cover of "Can-Can," a track so wrong on every level that I nearly keel over laughing every time, and that's a good thing. I can see why many fans would hate it, of course; this is the kind of thing that Mannheim Steamroller spent their whole career doing, and the kind of thing people hate ELP for bringing about in the first place. But man, this isn't something the band did on a regular basis; this is a one-time joke from a band that never showed on-the-job humor, and it's an opportunity to make complete fools of themselves that the band takes full advantage of. Oh man, Karoli doesn't even try to show any "good taste" or restraint in his guitar sounds on this, a basically note-for-note cover of the original, and it's all for the better. The last track, which is basically variations on "Can-Can," is a hoot too.

A brief review of a largely insignificant album, yes, but an album I'm not sorry to have heard. The band really had no future at this point, and it was a good thing for them to break up, but there have been far worse farewell albums in history, and I'm glad to say that I really like more than twenty minutes of this.

4 stars I find I am always a dissenter when it comes to this album. I own most of the early stuff, and though it is great in it's own way, alot of it was recorded on primitive equipment. And if you haven't figured it out by now, Can was basically an improvising band...what you heard on their albums was ... (read more)

Report this review (#159778) | Posted by ProggaWogga | Friday, January 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I remember hoping and praying for a return to form with this album, and you can tell that the band are trying. But without Czukay it's a hard slog. There's none of the inventive power of the early albums. Nothing here astonishes or delights. In parts the album is almost unlistenably bland. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#35309) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Can"