CAN

3. Sunday Jam (4:17)
4. Sodom (5:43)
5. Aspectacle (5:52)
Side 2
6. EFS No. 99 "Can Can" (3:16)
7. Ping Pong (0:25) Traditional
8. Can be (3:00)

This album was later released under the name "Inner Space" in 1985 under the Thunderbolt label and also included on the 1998 Thunderbolt release: "Inner Space / Out of Reach".

Search CAN Can lyrics

Search CAN Can tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitar, vocal, bass on "Can Be"
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboard, synthesizers
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Rosko Gee / bass
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Can Music

Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Vinyl$17.43
LandedLanded
Vinyl$18.49
Saw DelightSaw Delight
Vinyl$18.49
BARRY MANILOW EVEN NOW LP- COPACABANA, CAN'T SMILE WITHOUT YOU - AB 4164 US $6.00 Buy It Now 37m 40s
Corey Hart 7" Promotional 45 Single Can't Help Falling In Love EMI P-B-8368 NFS US $0.99 [0 bids]
41m 25s
J-LIVE"CAN I GET IT-US ORIG 1996 RAW SHACK US $9.99 Buy It Now 45m 33s
RHYTHM MODE D Can You Feel It/ Gangster Boogie 12" US $6.79 Buy It Now 48m 23s
Buddy Can you Spare a dime CD US $13.23 Buy It Now 51m 30s
TOM JONES * 45 * Can't Stop Loving You * 1970 #25 * VG+ * USA Parrot Sleeve US $4.00 Buy It Now 54m 5s
Dead Can Dance - In Concert CD PIAS US $26.77 Buy It Now 54m 25s
Creepshow - Christmas Nightmare Import-CAN 7-Inch Single Vinyl Record US $21.06 Buy It Now 58m 27s
Luther Vandross by Luther Vandross (CD, Jun-2001, J Records) "Can Heaven Wait" US $7.99 [0 bids]
59m 35s
5012981889326 We Can't Dance by Genesis (1997) - FAST POST CD US $4.79 Buy It Now 59m 48s
THE CRANBERRIES - EVERYBODY ELSE IS DOING IT, SO WHY CAN'T WE? US $2.67 Buy It Now 1h 2m
New Edition - Can You Stand the Rain - 12" Single - Extended Version/Radio Edit US $2.99 [0 bids]
Cult Sonic Temple Japan Tin Can Box CD with OBI Goth Doors US $84.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Gloria Gaynor - Never Can Say Goodbye NEW CD US $12.56 Buy It Now 1h 7m
GOAD-WHO CAN IT BE 12" Italo Disco STING BOWIE US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 8m
TWO CAN HAVE A PARTY MARVIN GAYE/TAMMI TERRELL USA 1968 ORIGINAL EX+ COPY US $20.83 Buy It Now 1h 11m
JOE COCKER: Luxury You Can Afford LP (promo-only pic disc) Rock & Pop US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Hanson & Davis ?- Can't Stop US $4.79 Buy It Now 1h 13m
GARY COOPER-NEVER CAN CHANGE 12" Rare Italo Hi-Nrg US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Bob The Builder - Can We Fix It 4 Track CD Single Incl Video US $4.34 Buy It Now 1h 16m
HIGH ENERGY " YOU CAN`T TURN ME OFF ...." " Or.UK TAMLA MOTOWN EX+ COND. US $1.59 Buy It Now 1h 16m
" CAN`T BUY ME LOVE " 1ST PRESSING MATRIX 1N UK PARLOPHONE EX COND.IN Or.SL. US $4.63 Buy It Now 1h 16m
CHEAP TRICK 'Can't Stop Fallin' In Love' Rare Unplayed US CD PROMO ONLY 1990 US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Greatest Hits 1982-1989 by Chicago (CD, Nov-1989, Reprise)"We Can Last Forever" US $7.99 [0 bids]
GLORIA GAYNOR NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE VG vinyl lp classic album records US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
HARRY JAMES 78 RPM YOU CAN'T RUN AWAY FROM LOVE / NINA US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
KIM WILDE - CATCH AS CATCH CAN - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $27.43 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Genesis We Can't Dance 12 Track Cassette US $10.81 Buy It Now 1h 27m
I Can Only Imagine - V/A New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $23.35 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Taylor Dayne - Can't Get Enough Of Your Love 3 Track CD Single US $4.34 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Paulini - We Can Try 4 Track CD Single US $6.97 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Eye To Eye - Just Can't Get Enough 3 Track CD Single US $6.97 Buy It Now 1h 30m
DAN HARTMAN "I can dream about you/BLASTERS Blue Shadows" 7"45 RPM Vinyl Record US $2.63 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Christina Aguilera - Can't Hold Us Down 3 Track CD Single US $6.09 Buy It Now 1h 33m
We Can't Fly - Aeroplane New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $19.41 Buy It Now 1h 34m
MALCOLM ROBERTS 60's Sheet Music- WE CAN MAKE IT, GIRL US $16.03 Buy It Now 1h 40m
+ ELTON JOHN. CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE TONIGHT CD 4trk excellent condition US $1.76 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Sandra, Heaven Can Wait/Hiroshima, 12" Single, 1989, Virgin US $17.48 [0 bids]
Dion & The Belmonts-No One Knows & I Can't Go On 45 record US $5.00 [0 bids]
Allan Sherman 45 My Son The Vampire / I Can't Dance US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 49m
THE CYRKLE HOW CAN I LEAVE HER/RED RUBBER BALL COLUMBIA RECORDS 45 RPM 7" US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 49m
TYRONE DAVIS Can I Change My Mind/A Woman Needs to be Loved US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 49m
ELVIS PRESLEY IF I CAN DREAM/EDGE OF REALITY RCA VICTOR RECORDS 4 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 49m
RAY CHARLES BORN TO LOSE/I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU ABC PARAMOUNT RECORDS 45 RPM US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 49m
MICHAEL JACKSON BEN/YOU CAN CRY ON MY SHOULDER MOTOWN RECORDS 45 RPM 7" US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 49m
MARVIN GAYE PRIDE & JOY/CAN I GET A WITNESS MOTOWN YESTERYEAR SERIES RECORDS US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 49m
You Can't Take It With You - Tall As Lions As New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $22.32 Buy It Now 1h 50m
LISTEN - TEEN POPCORN - JEFFREY ALLEN - WHY CAN'T A BOY CRY - BEYOND THE NEXT US $9.99 [0 bids]
CANAXIS 5 - Technical Space Composer's Crew MINT LP CAN US $71.87 Buy It Now 1h 53m
ADVENTURERS: Can't Stop The Twistin' LP (Mono, promo lbl, demo rubber stamp obc US $45.00 Buy It Now 1h 56m
The Escorts - I Can't Be Free /One Hand One Heart Northern Soul WEST SIDE STORY US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 56m
How Can I Keep From Singing? - Vol. 2-Early American Rural Re [CD New] US $17.33 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Sparky Lightbourne Can't Stop CD Single US $5.35 Buy It Now 2h
BOZ SCAGGS - 45 VINYL RECORD - LIDO SHUFFLE b/w WHAT CAN I SAY US $2.98 [1 bids]
Taylor Dayne Can't get enough of your love CD Single US $5.35 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Boyzone Baby Can I Hold You & Shooting Star Cassette Tape Single - TESTED US $8.02 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Redskins: It Can Be Done 7" 1986 UK Release: Picture Sleeve: Excellent. US $1.60 [0 bids]
Farley Jackmaster Love Can't House Nation Vinyl 12" WBMX Chicago House Music US $3.99 [0 bids]
AL HUDSON "You Can Do It" 12" vinyl single record - dance/club - EX - 1979 US $2.99 [0 bids]
VAN HALEN 5150 1986 LP (Why Can't This Be Love) EX US $10.98 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Cowsills-MGM se 4534-We can fly SS US $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Rainbow ?- Can't Let You Go Polydor Records ?- POSP 654 UK 7inch 45 single US $7.84 [0 bids]
Can't Slow Down_LIONEL RICHIE_used cassette_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $10.52 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Bang On A Can - Classics CD Classical Electronic & Computer US $20.19 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Now! Country 8 Various Can CD Pop Country V/A Compilations US $22.86 Buy It Now 2h 25m
JAY DEE BRYANT: Can't Believe You Wanna Leave (soul vinyl 45) US $18.00 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Bobby Brown - Two Can Play That Game - CD Single / EP US $3.93 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Philharmonics - Oblivion Can CD US $22.86 Buy It Now 2h 28m
A. Schoenberg - Five Pieces For Orchestra/Can CD US $22.26 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Hodges Johnny - Rabbit In Paris Can CD US $22.86 Buy It Now 2h 28m
LAURA LEE-I CAN'T MAKE IT ALONE +1-JAPAN CD E25 US $22.50 Buy It Now 2h 29m
WOW! Love Can Smooth the Way by Rie Eto (CD 1997) Japan US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 31m
BAD MANNERS - CAN CAN ARMCHAIR DISCO MAG190 7" VINYL RECORD VG 29 US $4.47 Buy It Now 2h 32m
LUSHUS DAIM & THE PRETTY VAIN - MORE THAN YOU CAN HANDLE - 1985 - VINYL 45 US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Can't Take My Eyes Off You by Sheena Easton (Maxi Remix Single) JAPAN IMPORT US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Afrojack & Shermanology ?- Can't Stop Me - Cd dj - 3 mixes - 3beat US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 36m
TAFFYS: Can't Be Just Be Friends (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $30.00 Buy It Now 2h 37m
FRANK IFIELD 60's Sheet music I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF.. US $16.03 Buy It Now 2h 38m
ISOBEL CAMPBELL & MARK LANEGAN Honey child what can i d US $16.79 Buy It Now 2h 42m
PHIL COLLINS ( GENESIS) YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE Italy US $20.79 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Treasures Money Can't Buy by Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver (cassette Brentwood... US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Las Chicas del Can Chican Dureco Benelux66062 Karen1986 US $43.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Phil Fearon I can prove it Chrysalis PFX 1 1986 US $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
MARGIE ALEXANDER: Can I Be Your Main Thing / It Can't Last Forever 45 Funk US $18.00 Buy It Now 2h 43m
The Four Tops I Can't Help Myself (SPR 90002) 1960s Stereo LP US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Phil Fearon - I Can Prove It (80s Dance) (12") US $5.60 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs - You Can't Buy A Gun When You're Crying 12" LP US $19.22 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Five Star - Can't Wait Another Minute / Don't You Know I Love It (1980s) (12") US $6.40 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Dead Can Dance A Passage In Time cd US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Eleni Mandell - I Can See The Future [Vinyl New] US $22.98 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Dead Can Dance Spiritchaser cd US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 54m
BREAD-MOVE OVER/ YOU CAN'T MEASURE TH COST EKSN 45083 7" VINYL RECORD VG 38 US $14.41 Buy It Now 2h 54m
LOU REED sally can't dance +2 Japan mini lp CD SEALED NEW US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down CD All Night Long Hello Penny Lover Stuck On You US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 56m
THE CURE Why Can't I Be You? UK 7" PS 1987 vg/vg US $6.40 Buy It Now 2h 56m
DAN HARTMAN I Can Dream About You JAPAN PROMO P-13070 US $16.20 Buy It Now 2h 59m
GLORIA ESTERFAN AND THE MIAMI SOUND MACHINE 7" VINYL CAN'T STAY AWAY FROM YOU US $4.73 Buy It Now 3h
R.W. Blackwood & the Blackwood Singers- I Can Feel Love- new/sealed 8 Track tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 2m
TRANS AM YOU CAN ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT CD NEW SEALED US $7.88 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Phil Collins You Can't Hurry Love b/w I Cannot Believe It's True 7" Single US $0.56 [0 bids]

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Can ratings distribution

CAN Can reviews

Review by soundsweird
2 stars I guess the inspiration had run out by this time. "Saw Delight" was pretty good, even with the lower-profile contributions of Holger Czukay, but this album finds the group doing a contractual-obligation snoozer. It's been some time since I sold this CD, so it's hard to give a precise post-mortem. I guess the best advice I can give is to stay away from anything after "Saw Delight".

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#23311) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Review by obiter
1 stars Time to review a couple of my least favourite albums ... it could get ugly (well at least it's not Amon Dull)

Cleverly Can lull you into a false sense of security at the opening. All Gates Open is actually quite passable. Not a lot happens, passable in this context is really a euphemism for not mind-numbingly awful. I can't help but think of waling in on a friends' we sister who was playing the family electric organ with a frighteningly annoying drum rhythm playing, and plonking a few keys with a disproportionate sense of glee. Safe is actually worse.

Sunday Jam is a welcome surprise. I found myself getting up and making a cup of tea as I thought the CD had stalled and inane elevator music was filling the gap. No, Sunday Jam is that elevator music. The lack of an elevator in my house should have given it away earlier.

Spectacle is actually quite a pleasant funky Starsky and Hutch number with an echoing mouth harp and some quite smart bass. Despite my prejudice I've got to admit this one is just a little bit groovy.

Ping pong is half a minute a ping pong ball bouncing on a table tennis table, You might think that's a pile of BS but you have to reserve that accolade for the truly dreadful cringe worthy Can Be (Can-can) number. How could anyone think this was a good idea? And even if they did, surely, but surely someone must have realised how hideously irritating and Goon Bay Dance Band this is. The Birdy Song and Grandad sound like prog classics in comparison.

Send comments to obiter (BETA) | Report this review (#169483) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 01, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars When I listen to this album, I keep feeling that I should be seeing Mike Myers, as Dieter on Saturday Night, whining, "Now iss ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance."

This isn't a completely terrible Can album, it does have some listenable jams, but it in no way stands up to the better Can albums. Karoli, Schmidt and company are by no means virtuosos, but with the use of a studio full of effects, they come up with an album full of odd sounding dance tunes, but not terribly progressive ones.

Can? I'm not very certain they could at that point in their history.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221428) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Can's last album exists under three different titles. I've come to know it as Inner Space, but it is also listed as Can and it exists as a package where it is crammed onto one CD together with Out Of Reach. I've always loved this album so as a special tribute I'll post a review for this edition as well.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

Can went through many phases, this album is an example of their smoother and funkier style. It doesn't contain as much innovative aspects as the previous couple of albums but with 5 strong tracks amounting to 30 great minutes it's a solid 4 star again.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255268) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars I guess the iceberg credited with sinking the titanic is destined to have all subsequent achievements measured unfavourably against its coup de grace. CAN is highly regarded among the prog elite and far beyond prog - many artists of the 70s, 80s and beyond name CAN as a significant influence, and these include both other Krautrockers as well as those further afield. While I am only familiar with a small portion of their output, I actually find this late 70s effort to be superior to the contemporaneous work by many of the prog giants of the day.

The playing is inspired, at times virtuous, the beats are infectious, albeit a bit too regular for the average elite prog fan, and the musicality of the exercises shine through all the period trappings in "Safe" and "Sunday Jam". These showcase Michael Karoli's guitar work and Irmin Schmidt's keys. There's generally a lot going on here but it succeeds in being mellow and groovy at the same time. Then again, "Sodom" and "Aspectacled" might be what detractors were referring to, trying to hard to establish a cool vibe, but the latter does have a decent synth theme. Luckily "Can Can", another installment of the ethnological forgery series kicks off its heels and provides welcome levity and clarity.

As someone who is not a fan of Kraut rock per se, my opinion might have more or less value to you depending on where you sit, but it seems that what CAN can do at their erstwhile worst is a pretty decent kick at the can.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#290244) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I actually kinda like this album, as opposed to the last two which I kinda loathed. It's the same lineup as before, so there are certainly many instances of the same noodly boring stuff (or, in the case of "A Spectacle," ill-conceived and incompetent attempts at pop) that I didn't like from these guys before, but there are also tracks where the band's new jamming style seems to mesh. In particular, the opening two tracks, the longest on the album, each manage to keep my attention through almost their entire lengths, which definitely couldn't be said about "Animal Waves" from Saw Delight (which ran almost as long on its own as these two tracks put together). "All Gates Open" combines harmonica in the first part with some actual warmth in Schmidt's tone and note choices, and "Safe" kinda works as a 1979 update of the Flow Motion vibe. It's gritty, it's groovy, and it's sooooo German, (in a Kraftwerk way more than a typical Can way), and I like it, dagnabbit.

The next three tracks take the band into (by now) typical territory, which of course means that the rating inevitably goes down, though at least "Sodom" has somewhat of an air of morbidity. Just when I've resigned myself to the same ole head drooping, though, the album takes the ultimate left turn. Yes, I am speaking of the band's cover of "Can-Can," a track so wrong on every level that I nearly keel over laughing every time, and that's a good thing. I can see why many fans would hate it, of course; this is the kind of thing that Mannheim Steamroller spent their whole career doing, and the kind of thing people hate ELP for bringing about in the first place. But man, this isn't something the band did on a regular basis; this is a one-time joke from a band that never showed on-the-job humor, and it's an opportunity to make complete fools of themselves that the band takes full advantage of. Oh man, Karoli doesn't even try to show any "good taste" or restraint in his guitar sounds on this, a basically note-for-note cover of the original, and it's all for the better. The last track, which is basically variations on "Can-Can," is a hoot too.

A brief review of a largely insignificant album, yes, but an album I'm not sorry to have heard. The band really had no future at this point, and it was a good thing for them to break up, but there have been far worse farewell albums in history, and I'm glad to say that I really like more than twenty minutes of this.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#397742) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011

4 stars I find I am always a dissenter when it comes to this album. I own most of the early stuff, and though it is great in it's own way, alot of it was recorded on primitive equipment. And if you haven't figured it out by now, Can was basically an improvising band...what you heard on their albums was ... (read more)

Report this review (#159778) | Posted by ProggaWogga | Friday, January 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I remember hoping and praying for a return to form with this album, and you can tell that the band are trying. But without Czukay it's a hard slog. There's none of the inventive power of the early albums. Nothing here astonishes or delights. In parts the album is almost unlistenably bland. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#35309) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Can"