Can

3. Sunday Jam (4:17)
4. Sodom (5:43)
5. Aspectacle (5:52)
Side 2
6. EFS No. 99 "Can Can" (3:16)
7. Ping Pong (0:25) Traditional
8. Can be (3:00)

This album was later released under the name "Inner Space" in 1985 under the Thunderbolt label and also included on the 1998 Thunderbolt release: "Inner Space / Out of Reach".

Search CAN Can lyrics

Search CAN Can tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitar, vocal, bass on "Can Be"
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboard, synthesizers
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Rosko Gee / bass
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Can Music

CanCan
Multiple Formats · Box set
Mute (Artist Intelligence) 2003
DVD$33.29
CanCan
Hybrid SACD - DSD · Remastered
Mute (Artist Intelligence) 2006
COCKNEY REJECTS - OI! OI! OI! (CAN CAN 5) LIMITED TIN EDITION+CARDS CD USD $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 42m
el544 LP / POINTER SISTERS - JAPAN OBI / yes we can can / GATEFOLD BlueThumb USD $9.99 [0 bids]
London Cast - Wedding In Paris/Can-Can CD USD $18.99 Buy It Now 3h 5m
New York Revue Orchestra Can-Can LP USD $8.92 Buy It Now 4h 52m
CAN - Can (remastered) - LP USD $22.45 Buy It Now 7h 19m
Pointer Sisters, The* - Yes We Can Can 7" USD $4.47 Buy It Now 7h 28m
Various(Vinyl LP)Can-Can-Capitol-W 1301-UK-VG+/VG+ USD $13.99 Buy It Now 8h 54m
CAN ~ CAN DELAY 1968 ~ RARE 2006 UK 6 TRACK PROMO CD ALBUM [MUTE RECORDS] USD $15.64 Buy It Now 9h
CAN ~ CAN ~ RARE 2006 UK 8 TRACK PROMO CD ALBUM [MUTE RECORDS] USD $15.64 Buy It Now 9h
Kismet and Can Can London Theatre Company Orchestra 4 Track 7 1/2 Reel to Reel USD $11.80 Buy It Now 9h 8m
78rpm 12" CAN-CAN selection , C 4260 USD $37.25 Buy It Now 9h 33m
SOUNDTRACK THEATRE LP COLE PORTER'S CAN CAN USD $5.98 Buy It Now 9h 53m
HITS FROM MUSIC MAN, CAN CAN, PORGY & BESS AND SHOWBOAT REEL TO REEL TAPE TESTE USD $6.49 Buy It Now 11h 22m
Cole Porter's - Can Can Bernard Peiffer Lp (VG) 12" USD $31.96 Buy It Now 12h 10m
THE POINTER SISTERS LIVE AT THE OPERA HOUSE DOUBLE LP - W/"YES WE CAN CAN" USD $8.05 Buy It Now 12h 10m
Can-Can LP Enhanced Stereo Broadway Cast by Cole Porter USD $6.95 Buy It Now 12h 41m
FRENCH CAN CAN POLKA Billy Cotton & Bandits 1950's Jazz JUKEBOX 78 rpm RECORD USD $25.00 Buy It Now 14h 54m
CAN-CAN - Great Rare OOP Soundtrack LP - FRANK SINATRA/COLE PORTER - G USD $3.99 Buy It Now 15h 24m
The Pointer Sisters "Yes We Can Can" "Jada" USD $6.99 [0 bids]
USD $9.99 Buy It Now
DAVE CLARK FIVE 45 RPM 2PACK, CATCH US IF YOU CAN & CAN'T YOU SEE THAT USD $19.95 Buy It Now 16h 13m
Bu Devirde CD Padisah Tovbeler olsun Cici Kiz Sibel Can Can'la Turkish music USD $14.95 Buy It Now 16h 54m
CAN Can (self-titled) - VINYL LP RECORD Brand New! + mp3 USD $20.98 Buy It Now 17h 34m
Yes We Can Can: The Best of the Blue Thumb Recordings by Pointer Sisters... USD $6.49 Buy It Now 17h 54m
Cole Porter- American Musicals- Kiss Me,Kate,Can Can,Anything Goes Box Set 3LPS USD $24.99 Buy It Now 18h 5m
(BV701) Skandi Girls, Do The Can Can - 2004 CD USD $4.10 Buy It Now 18h 8m
"CAN-CAN" COLE PORTER ORIG CAST LP 1953 MONO LILO USD $10.99 Buy It Now 18h 15m
COLE PORTER'S CAN-CAN SINATRA MACLAINE 12" LP 33 VG MONO W-1301 RAINBOW LABEL USD $11.99 Buy It Now 23h 11m
Frank Sinatra Can-Can vinyl LP album record UK SW1301 CAPITOL 1960 USD $20.78 Buy It Now 1 day
BAD MANNERS can can/armchair disco 1981 YUGOSLAVIAN 7'' SINGLE USD $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
COLE PORTES CAN CAN FILM SOUNDTRACK LP 60S MONO SINATRA MCCLAINE,CHEVAILER EX+ USD $7.43 Buy It Now 1 day
Can Can- 1980 DANCE - RARE PROMO PRESSING 45RPM 7" Single AVI 315-S VG+/EX USD $1.99 [0 bids]
BAD MANNERS "CAN CAN" EX+ COND. IN Or.PIC SL. USD $2.82 Buy It Now 1 day
Bad Manners Can Can Vinyl 7" USD $1.48 [0 bids]
Can Can LP Original Soundtrack Album Sinatra MacLaine USD $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Can Can Original Soundtrack CD USD $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TREACHEROUS THREE & KOOL MOE DEE - YES WE CAN CAN / WHIP IT - SUGARHILL NEET1014 USD $4.45 [0 bids]
The Pointer Sisters Blue Thumb 45 Record #229 VG+ Jada / Yes We Can Can USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Various Artists-Can Can, Mexican Hayride (Porter) CD NEW USD $9.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Can-Can (Soundtrack) CD. Frank Sinatra. Very rare. 1989 Capitol Records. USD $19.35 [0 bids]
Stainless Steal- Can-Can- rare new/sealed cassette tape USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
20/6/1981Pg49 Single Advert 15x5" Bad Manners, Can Can USD $11.90 Buy It Now 1 day
"CAN-CAN" (OSTR) (M) (Capitol) USD $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
"CAN-CAN" (OSTR) (S) (Capitol) USD $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
"CAN-CAN" (Studiotrack) (S) (Coronet) USD $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Can Can, Shirley MacLaine, Maurice Cheval, Good Soundtrack USD $8.80 Buy It Now 1 day
OST / FRANK SINATRA Can-Can W1301 LP Aq7929 USD $2.99 [0 bids]
Can-Can Music From Cole Porter's Broadway Hit Show 33 rpm Paris Record LP Vinyl USD $24.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Can Can LP soundtrack Cole Porter's SEALED USD $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Cole Porter's CAN-CAN Soundtrack Record Album Sinatra USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN CAN & OTHER DANCES FROM THE OPERA / VARIOUS NEW CD USD $15.74 Buy It Now 2 days
LOUIS CLARK (THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA) Hooked On A Can Can 7" RCA 1981 USD $5.94 Buy It Now 2 days
Alyson Williams - Yes We Can Can (LISTEN) WL Promo USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Mantovani World Of inc Hava Nagila Can Can Cara Mia + Cassette Tape - TESTED USD $4.47 Buy It Now 2 days
Norton York Trio - Come & Watch Em Can-Can 7" EP USD $34.27 Buy It Now 2 days
Can - Can - XSPOON28 USD $21.56 Buy It Now 2 days
Cole Porter's Can-Can Vinyl LP Record Original Broadway Cast Capitol Records USD $2.99 [0 bids]
Cole Porters Can Can Soundtrack Frank Sinatra USD $1.48 [0 bids]
Can Can (2011 CD) Remastered Original Soundtrack + 13 Bonus Tracks (New Sealed) USD $4.40 Buy It Now 2 days
LOT 4 LP RECORD - Can-Can, Cabaret, No Strings, Hit Songs Broadway #71 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Sounds Of A Thousand Strings, Can Can, LP Record (L8) PYE, GG437, 12" 33RPM USD $7.77 Buy It Now 2 days
Can-Can Original Soundtrack Album UK Stereo LP Frank Sinatra Shirley MacLaine USD $12.00 Buy It Now 2 days
JOHN SENATI CAN-CAN AND OTHER COLE PORTER FAVORITES VINYL LP USD $11.04 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER JAY AND THE JAYWALKERS Can Can 62 7" B/w Redskins UK Decca 1962 USD $7.81 Buy It Now 3 days
POINTER SISTERS Yes We Can Can 7" B/w Jada Writing On Label UK Blue Thumb 1973 USD $7.81 Buy It Now 3 days
Can Can 62 - Peter Jay and the Jaywalkers (original 7" single) USD $2.98 [0 bids]
Can - Can 2006 Remaster (NEW CD) USD $16.00 Buy It Now 3 days
33RPM Vinyl JAZZ RECORD BERNARD PEIFFER Plays Porters Can-Can Laurie LLP1008 VG+ USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Peter Jay And The Jaywalkers - "Can-Can '62" 7" (1962) / "Redskins" / F 11531 USD $2.67 Buy It Now 3 days
SECRETS EP HAWAII 5 0 SILENCE IS GOLDEN CAN CAN 7" bs 1 uk 1978 not on label USD $10.41 Buy It Now 3 days
Louis Clark - Hooked On A Can Can - ** EXCELLENT CONDITION ** 12" Single Vinyl USD $7.38 Buy It Now 3 days
JOSE FELICIANO: Yes We Can Can / Mono 45 (dj, Steve Cropper involvement) Funk USD $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Cole Porter's Can-Can OST Frank Sinatra Shirley MacLaine + Cassette Tape TESTED USD $5.21 Buy It Now 3 days
Vintage THEATRE FAVORITES CAN CAN Reel to Reel Tape 7 1/2 IPS USD $3.95 Buy It Now 3 days
SEALED Soundtrack CAN-CAN Capitol Frank Sinatra, Shirley MacLaine USD $10.40 Buy It Now 3 days
TERRY GIBBS: Can-can (jazz vinyl LP) USD $30.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Can Can En Lek I Forhold LP Vinyl Alt Rock 1984 RARE NM Nena Athens Norway REM USD $25.00 Buy It Now 3 days
SKIP MARTIN Swingin' Things Can-Can Frank Rosolino Conrad Gozzo stereo dg LP USD $19.97 Buy It Now 3 days
CAN: Can LP (180 gram reissue, w/ download) Rock & Pop USD $25.00 Buy It Now 3 days
SELECTIONS FROM "GIGI" AND FRENCH CAN CAN MUSIC LP 196? USD $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BAD MANNERS CAN CAN USD $1.94 Buy It Now 4 days
BAD MANNERS - CAN CAN ARMCHAIR DISCO MAG190 7" VINYL RECORD VG 29 USD $4.16 Buy It Now 4 days
Bad Manners Can Can Armchair Disco 7" Single - EX USD $2.22 Buy It Now 4 days
BAD MANNERS - CAN CAN - 7" VINYL 1981 MAGNET USD $4.60 Buy It Now 4 days
CAN - Can - 180 gram vinyl LP USD $24.78 Buy It Now 4 days
V/A - Can Can: A Celebration Of The Music Of Cole Porter (UK 20 Tk CD Album) USD $13.39 Buy It Now 4 days
Dance to Swinging Things from Cole Porter's Can-Can Lp Album d1 USD $3.79 [0 bids]
USD $5.00 Buy It Now
THE POINTER SISTERS~SELF TITLED~contains YES WE CAN CAN~CLASSIC 12" LP ORIGINAL USD $2.99 [0 bids]
BAD MANNERS Can Can Ex Magnet 1981 UK P/S 7" USD $5.94 Buy It Now 4 days
Various(Vinyl LP)Can-Can-Capitol-W 1301-UK-VG+/VG+ USD $8.18 Buy It Now 4 days
Terry Gibbs & His Orchestra "Can - Can" Verve Lp USD $9.99 [1 bids]
"Can Can" Original Soundtrack Album LP USD $4.95 Buy It Now 4 days
CAN CAN Original Soundtrack LP 12 Tracks Including Frank Sinatra UK World Recor USD $7.81 Buy It Now 4 days
CAN CAN Original Sound Track Album LP 12 Track UK Capi USD $7.81 Buy It Now 4 days
CAN CAN Original Sound Track Album LP 12 Track UK Capitol USD $7.81 Buy It Now 4 days
CAN CAN Original Soundtrack Album LP 12 Track Sealed Old Stock, Corner Slightly USD $10.71 Buy It Now 4 days
NELSON RIDDLE- Oklahoma/ Can Can CD (2005, 2on1) Soundtrack/Cast Recordings USD $6.53 Buy It Now 4 days
BAD MANNERS "CAN CAN" "ARMCHAIR DISCO" MAGNET MAG190 VG/+ 1981 SKA see others ! USD $4.40 Buy It Now 4 days
BAD MANNERS Can Can Ex+ Magnet 1981 UK P/S 7" USD $5.94 Buy It Now 4 days
APOLLO 100 Joy 7" B/w Can Can Pic Sleeve UK Youngblood 1980 USD $7.81 Buy It Now 4 days
BAD MANNERS Can Can 7" B/w Armchair Disco Pic Sleeve UK Magnet 1981 USD $7.81 Buy It Now 4 days
LP future days
LP soundtracks
~ USD $18.41
LP tago mago: live

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Can ratings distribution

CAN Can reviews

Review by soundsweird
2 stars I guess the inspiration had run out by this time. "Saw Delight" was pretty good, even with the lower-profile contributions of Holger Czukay, but this album finds the group doing a contractual-obligation snoozer. It's been some time since I sold this CD, so it's hard to give a precise post-mortem. I guess the best advice I can give is to stay away from anything after "Saw Delight".

Review by obiter
1 stars Time to review a couple of my least favourite albums ... it could get ugly (well at least it's not Amon Dull)

Cleverly Can lull you into a false sense of security at the opening. All Gates Open is actually quite passable. Not a lot happens, passable in this context is really a euphemism for not mind-numbingly awful. I can't help but think of waling in on a friends' we sister who was playing the family electric organ with a frighteningly annoying drum rhythm playing, and plonking a few keys with a disproportionate sense of glee. Safe is actually worse.

Sunday Jam is a welcome surprise. I found myself getting up and making a cup of tea as I thought the CD had stalled and inane elevator music was filling the gap. No, Sunday Jam is that elevator music. The lack of an elevator in my house should have given it away earlier.

Spectacle is actually quite a pleasant funky Starsky and Hutch number with an echoing mouth harp and some quite smart bass. Despite my prejudice I've got to admit this one is just a little bit groovy.

Ping pong is half a minute a ping pong ball bouncing on a table tennis table, You might think that's a pile of BS but you have to reserve that accolade for the truly dreadful cringe worthy Can Be (Can-can) number. How could anyone think this was a good idea? And even if they did, surely, but surely someone must have realised how hideously irritating and Goon Bay Dance Band this is. The Birdy Song and Grandad sound like prog classics in comparison.

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars When I listen to this album, I keep feeling that I should be seeing Mike Myers, as Dieter on Saturday Night, whining, "Now iss ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance."

This isn't a completely terrible Can album, it does have some listenable jams, but it in no way stands up to the better Can albums. Karoli, Schmidt and company are by no means virtuosos, but with the use of a studio full of effects, they come up with an album full of odd sounding dance tunes, but not terribly progressive ones.

Can? I'm not very certain they could at that point in their history.

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Can's last album exists under three different titles. I've come to know it as Inner Space, but it is also listed as Can and it exists as a package where it is crammed onto one CD together with Out Of Reach. I've always loved this album so as a special tribute I'll post a review for this edition as well.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

Can went through many phases, this album is an example of their smoother and funkier style. It doesn't contain as much innovative aspects as the previous couple of albums but with 5 strong tracks amounting to 30 great minutes it's a solid 4 star again.

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars I guess the iceberg credited with sinking the titanic is destined to have all subsequent achievements measured unfavourably against its coup de grace. CAN is highly regarded among the prog elite and far beyond prog - many artists of the 70s, 80s and beyond name CAN as a significant influence, and these include both other Krautrockers as well as those further afield. While I am only familiar with a small portion of their output, I actually find this late 70s effort to be superior to the contemporaneous work by many of the prog giants of the day.

The playing is inspired, at times virtuous, the beats are infectious, albeit a bit too regular for the average elite prog fan, and the musicality of the exercises shine through all the period trappings in "Safe" and "Sunday Jam". These showcase Michael Karoli's guitar work and Irmin Schmidt's keys. There's generally a lot going on here but it succeeds in being mellow and groovy at the same time. Then again, "Sodom" and "Aspectacled" might be what detractors were referring to, trying to hard to establish a cool vibe, but the latter does have a decent synth theme. Luckily "Can Can", another installment of the ethnological forgery series kicks off its heels and provides welcome levity and clarity.

As someone who is not a fan of Kraut rock per se, my opinion might have more or less value to you depending on where you sit, but it seems that what CAN can do at their erstwhile worst is a pretty decent kick at the can.

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I actually kinda like this album, as opposed to the last two which I kinda loathed. It's the same lineup as before, so there are certainly many instances of the same noodly boring stuff (or, in the case of "A Spectacle," ill-conceived and incompetent attempts at pop) that I didn't like from these guys before, but there are also tracks where the band's new jamming style seems to mesh. In particular, the opening two tracks, the longest on the album, each manage to keep my attention through almost their entire lengths, which definitely couldn't be said about "Animal Waves" from Saw Delight (which ran almost as long on its own as these two tracks put together). "All Gates Open" combines harmonica in the first part with some actual warmth in Schmidt's tone and note choices, and "Safe" kinda works as a 1979 update of the Flow Motion vibe. It's gritty, it's groovy, and it's sooooo German, (in a Kraftwerk way more than a typical Can way), and I like it, dagnabbit.

The next three tracks take the band into (by now) typical territory, which of course means that the rating inevitably goes down, though at least "Sodom" has somewhat of an air of morbidity. Just when I've resigned myself to the same ole head drooping, though, the album takes the ultimate left turn. Yes, I am speaking of the band's cover of "Can-Can," a track so wrong on every level that I nearly keel over laughing every time, and that's a good thing. I can see why many fans would hate it, of course; this is the kind of thing that Mannheim Steamroller spent their whole career doing, and the kind of thing people hate ELP for bringing about in the first place. But man, this isn't something the band did on a regular basis; this is a one-time joke from a band that never showed on-the-job humor, and it's an opportunity to make complete fools of themselves that the band takes full advantage of. Oh man, Karoli doesn't even try to show any "good taste" or restraint in his guitar sounds on this, a basically note-for-note cover of the original, and it's all for the better. The last track, which is basically variations on "Can-Can," is a hoot too.

A brief review of a largely insignificant album, yes, but an album I'm not sorry to have heard. The band really had no future at this point, and it was a good thing for them to break up, but there have been far worse farewell albums in history, and I'm glad to say that I really like more than twenty minutes of this.

4 stars I find I am always a dissenter when it comes to this album. I own most of the early stuff, and though it is great in it's own way, alot of it was recorded on primitive equipment. And if you haven't figured it out by now, Can was basically an improvising band...what you heard on their albums was ... (read more)

Report this review (#159778) | Posted by ProggaWogga | Friday, January 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I remember hoping and praying for a return to form with this album, and you can tell that the band are trying. But without Czukay it's a hard slog. There's none of the inventive power of the early albums. Nothing here astonishes or delights. In parts the album is almost unlistenably bland. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#35309) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Can"