CAN

3. Sunday Jam (4:17)
4. Sodom (5:43)
5. Aspectacle (5:52)
Side 2
6. EFS No. 99 "Can Can" (3:16)
7. Ping Pong (0:25) Traditional
8. Can be (3:00)

This album was later released under the name "Inner Space" in 1985 under the Thunderbolt label and also included on the 1998 Thunderbolt release: "Inner Space / Out of Reach".

Search CAN Can lyrics

Search CAN Can tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitar, vocal, bass on "Can Be"
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboard, synthesizers
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Rosko Gee / bass
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Can Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute U.S. 2008
TEDDY PENDERGRASS "YOU CAN'T HIDE FROM YOURSELF" MODERN SOUL 8 track US $6.99 Buy It Now 29m 50s
DOUBLE DISCOVERY-CAN HE FIND ANOTHER ONE-PROMO 12"-VG++ US $1.99 [0 bids]
29m 50s
Willie Nelson/What Can You Do To Me Now/1975/V-VG+++Cov.VG+++ US $8.09 Buy It Now 30m 1s
Carolyn Arends : I Can Hear You CD (1995) US $4.46 Buy It Now 30m 40s
SUBLIMINAL MIRACLES HAPPEN MANIFESTATION CD- YOU CAN MAKE MANIFEST CREATE THEM! US $12.99 Buy It Now 30m 54s
Hatestick - Can't Get Enough Of You - 1994 Elephi NEW 7 Inch Vinyl Record US $2.99 Buy It Now 31m 17s
VG++ KENDALLS THE PITTSBURGH STEALERS/WHEN CAN WE DO THIS AGAIN 1978 45 OVATION US $3.98 Buy It Now 31m 17s
Gene 7" Vinyl single record I Can't Help Myself - Blue Viny USA SP294 SUB POP US $16.99 [0 bids]
32m 20s
Ray Charles / If You Were Mine / Till I Can't Take It Anymore 45 rpm TRC Record US $6.00 Buy It Now 32m 38s
Not Even God Can Save You Now:A Trilogy of Terror *[ECD] by Killwhitneydead (CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 32m 47s
Good - Can't Hardly Wait: Music From The Motion Picture US $2.48 Buy It Now 34m 3s
(CE571) Shakespears Sister, I Can Drive - 1996 DJ CD US $5.07 Buy It Now 34m 4s
50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong Vol 2 Extremly Rare Hard To Find Record US $34.95 [0 bids]
35m 23s
Kenny Dale-Only Love Can Break A Heart-LP-Capitol-ST 12001-Vinyl Record-VG+ US $2.49 [0 bids]
36m 14s
Star City-I Can't Get Over You-I'm A Man-12" Single-T.K. Disco-Vinyl Record US $2.49 [0 bids]
36m 14s
Mick Jagger-Let's Work-Catch As Catch Can-12" Single-Columbia-Vinyl Record-NM US $2.49 [0 bids]
36m 14s
Robert Palmer-Some People Can Do What They Like-LP-ILPS 9420-Vinyl Record-VG+ US $2.49 [0 bids]
36m 14s
TEMPTATIONS Standing on the Top/ BETTYE L'AVETTE I Can't Stop 12" PROMO PR-96 US $9.99 [0 bids]
37m 11s
Ken Griffin "You Can't Be True, Dear" 1957 Columbia 907 VG++ US $6.00 Buy It Now 37m 51s
BARRY MANILOW CAN'T SMILE WITHOUT YOU/SUNRISE 1978 45 RPM ARISTA AS 0305 US $2.98 Buy It Now 40m 42s
HEAR IT Girl Group 45 rpm Shangri-Las "I Can Never Go Home Anymore" from 1965 US $6.00 Buy It Now 41m 45s
Missing Persons I Can't Think About Dancin 1986 12"EP US $9.00 Buy It Now 41m 54s
Beverly Crosby-You Can Be My Lover-Thomas Promises-12"-Bareback-Vinyl Record-NM US $2.66 [0 bids]
42m 8s
JOE WALSH You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind LP (UK, VG++) US $11.26 Buy It Now 42m 26s
PETER BROWN CAN'T BE LOVE-DO IT TO ME ANYWAY12" VINYL RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 42m 33s
THE BECK FAMILY - Can't Shake That Feeling - DISCO 12" US $9.99 Buy It Now 42m 47s
THE COMMUNARDS NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE GOLD STAMP PROMO 12" VINYL RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 42m 55s
THE COMMUNARDS NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE PROMO REMIX 12" VINYL US $9.99 Buy It Now 43m 51s
CHORLEY MAE "I Can't Go Thru These Changes" soul funk 45 TRI-SPIN orig NM HEAR US $32.20 Buy It Now 44m 33s
PULLEY - Oil Can:T-shirt - NEW - LARGE ONLY - Ten Foot Pole US $28.15 Buy It Now 44m 37s
PULLEY - Oil Can:T-shirt - NEW - SMALL ONLY - Ten Foot Pole US $28.15 Buy It Now 45m 11s
Things You Can't Stop With Your Hands by Tara Leigh Cobble (CD, Oct-2004,... US $0.99 [0 bids]
46m 34s
THE STYLISTICS 7" PS Japan CAN'T GIVE YOU ANYTHING s1230 US $4.00 Buy It Now 47m 24s
Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe OST LP vg++ kapp US $2.79 [0 bids]
48m 15s
Can Can-ost-cole Porter-capitol-lp-sm1301-frank Sinatra US $2.79 [0 bids]
48m 15s
MAPS - WE CAN CREATE - 2007 CD US $3.00 Buy It Now 49m 42s
Love Can Build a Bridge by Judds (The) (CD, 1990, Curb) US $5.00 [0 bids]
50m 1s
ELVIS PRESLEY EDGE OF REALITY/IF I CAN DREAM 45 RPM RCA RECORDS 47-9670 US $3.98 Buy It Now 50m 2s
I Believe I Can Fly [US Single #2] [EP] by R. Kelly (CD, Nov-1996, Jive (USA)) US $0.01 [0 bids]
50m 52s
MADLEEN KANE FIRE IN MY HEART / YOU CAN 12" VINYL RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 51m 21s
Canibus "Can-I-Bus" RARE PROMO CASSETTE SAMPLER/1998 US $1.99 [1 bids]
51m 31s
Can I Stay With You - Karyn White (Cassette Single, 1994) in NM US $3.79 Buy It Now 52m 4s
Jess Garron IT'S SUMMER TIME / YOU CAN'T LOVE A WOMAN (Who Doesn't Love You) US $1.89 [0 bids]
52m 9s
BETTYE LAVETTE DOIN' THE BEST THAT I CAN (A SPECIAL NEW MIX) 12" VINYL RECORD US $14.99 Buy It Now 52m 25s
Fake Can Be Just as Good by Blonde Redhead (CD, Mar-1997, Touch US $5.99 Buy It Now 52m 29s
THE DIXIE CUPS Girls Can Tell / People Say US $3.50 [0 bids]
52m 36s
Northern Soul 45, Lou Courtney, You Can Give Your Love to Me, clean Verve promo US $34.99 [0 bids]
53m 36s
Steve Goodman-Words We Can Dance To-Shrink LP-1061-Vg+ US $2.99 [0 bids]
53m 45s
PETE SEEGER:I CAN SEE A NEW DAY...RARE WHITE LABEL PROMO - COLUMBIA US $13.00 Buy It Now 53m 55s
SOUL Sylvester Boyd I Don't Want Nobody b/w I Can't Go On... .45 King#6412 dj M- US $14.99 [0 bids]
54m 30s
Steve Taylor "Now the Truth Can be Told" CD set US $4.99 [0 bids]
54m 35s
Fred Astaire with Ray Noble & Orch - BRUN 7983 - Nice Work if You Can Get It US $25.00 Buy It Now 54m 36s
The Script - The Man Who Can't Be Moved - 1 Trk U.S. Promo CD Single 2008 US $3.00 [0 bids]
54m 40s
Guy Mitchell & Mitch Miller "I Can't Help It" "There's Always Room At Our House" US $8.99 [0 bids]
56m 6s
Our Lady Peace: Happiness Is Not a Fish That You Can Catch CD, 1999, Sony US $0.99 [0 bids]
56m 48s
70s Northern Soul WILLIAM DEVAUGHN Hold-On-To-Love bw Figures Can't 45 TEC 767 US $19.99 Buy It Now 56m 58s
Because I Can Rose, Katy Audio CD US $3.99 Buy It Now 57m 46s
Can The Circle Be Unbroken: Country Music's First Family US $4.04 Buy It Now 58m 5s
Brenda Lee - You Can Depend On Me / It's Never Too Late 45 rpm 1961 US $2.50 Buy It Now 58m 26s
A Girl Can Mack by 3LW (CD, Oct-2002, Sony Music Distribution (USA)) US $18.49 Buy It Now 59m 7s
LITTLE RICHARD THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT 78 RPM US $10.00 [1 bids]
59m 15s
Robert Palmer-Some People Can Do What They Like-LP-Island-Vinyl Record-VG+ US $2.99 [0 bids]
59m 32s
Sparks Music That You Can Dance To UK REMIX 12" VINYL RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 59m 46s
TECHNIQUE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO LOVE TONIGHT b/w CAN WE TRY AGAIN 12" TEST PRE US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h
Gentrys 45 RPM I Can See/90 Pound Weakling MGM 13749 EX US $0.99 [0 bids]
1h
DON'T STOP 'TIL YOU GET ENOUGH/I CAN'T HELP IT Michael Jackson~45 RPM vinyl Epic US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h
Northern Soul 45, Betty Lavette, Only Your Love Can Save Me b/w I Feel Good, M- US $41.00 [3 bids]
1h
Don Gibson 45 I Can Mend Your Broken Heart/I Let Her Get Lonely RCA 8017 VG+ US $0.99 [0 bids]
1h
Can't Buy a Thrill Steely Dan CD Remastered edition classic rock debut album NEW US $5.42 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Keith Thompson: Can't take it 12" 12inch vinyl record single 8e US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
SOUL BROTHERS SIX -(45)- YOU BETTER CHECK YOURSELF / WHAT CAN YOU DO--------1967 US $19.88 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Can't Be Tamed [CD/DVD] by Miley Cyrus (CD, Jun-2010, 2 Discs, Hollywood) US $0.99 [1 bids]
SWINGING BLUES JEANS Don't Make Me Over / What Can I Do Today 45 ? Promo US $14.03 Buy It Now 1h 4m
(AK17) Us3, You Can't Hold Me Down (remixes) - 2001 CD US $5.07 Buy It Now 1h 4m
EARL THOMAS CONLEY "I CAN'T WIN FOR LOSIN' YOU" 45 RPM US $3.49 Buy It Now 1h 5m
ANTHONY WHITE I CAN'T TURN YOU LOOSE / BLOCK PARTY 12" VINYL RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
1974 BILLY SWAN I CAN HELP #1 NM MONUMENT 45 RPM RECORD US $2.99 [0 bids]
(AK44) Spin Doctors, Little Miss Can't Be Wrong 1991 CD US $5.07 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Robert Wyatt Nothing Can Stop Us Mini LP CD JAPAN VACK-1227 + PROMO OBI US $61.76 [19 bids]
Two Can Play That Game by Original Soundtrack (CD, Aug-2001, MCA (USA)) US $13.49 Buy It Now 1h 7m
(CC168) Amy LaVere, You Can't Keep Me - DJ CD US $4.66 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Katy Rose : Because I Can CD (2004) US $3.73 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Cranioclast "Rats Can Coil.." Org 12" '90 Zoviet France De Fabriek Coil H.N.A.S. US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
NM 12"~The COMMUNARDS~Never Can Say Goodbye~[7:50]~Tomorrow (Extended)~[7:15]~ US $1.97 Buy It Now 1h 9m
JEFF BRIDGES - WHAT A LITTLE BIT OF LOVE CAN DO - PROMO-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
BACHELORS: My Girl/ Can I Trust You [45] - Ships WORLDWIDE! US $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
45 FOUR TOPS I CAN'T HELP MYSELF SUGAR PIE HONEY BUNCH ASK THE LONELY Y 429F US $3.36 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Leon Patillo "I Can" CD SIGNED!! Xian Contemporary Christian Santana RARE 1999 US $17.95 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Only You Can - Fox 7" 45, Fox, Acceptable US $4.61 Buy It Now 1h 14m
SEBNEM FERAH - Can Kiriklari CD 2011 Hard Rock from Turkey US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
RICK NELSON 45 EP If You Can't Rock Me IMPERIAL Teen ORIGINAL Pic Sleeve #CC412 US $15.00 [0 bids]
Spleen and Ideal by Dead Can Dance CD Mar-1994, 4AD (USA) FREE S/H! US $10.75 Buy It Now 1h 15m
PROMO WHITE LABEL JOHN TRAVOLTA JAPAN OBI CAN'T LET YOU US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
NEIL YOUNG:Only Love Can Break Your Heart-After The Gold Rush-U.K. 7" Reprise DJ US $98.98 Buy It Now 1h 16m
As Far As the Eye Can See, People in Planes, Very Good US $3.43 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Fastball - All The Pain Money Can Buy - CD - 13Tracks US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
MEN AT WORK 7" * JAPAN * WHO CAN IT BE NOW? 1982 EPIC COLIN HAY SHIP FROM USA US $4.99 [0 bids]
DON HENLEY "I Can't Stand Still"~Vinyl LP~Asylum Records EI-60048~Dirty Laundry! US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
ELISABETH WITHERS IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE + BONUS TRACK JAPAN CD 1980yen SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
The Adventures Of Furious George 12" Single Goo Goo's Way/Can U Feel It? US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Can ratings distribution

CAN Can reviews

Review by soundsweird
2 stars I guess the inspiration had run out by this time. "Saw Delight" was pretty good, even with the lower-profile contributions of Holger Czukay, but this album finds the group doing a contractual-obligation snoozer. It's been some time since I sold this CD, so it's hard to give a precise post-mortem. I guess the best advice I can give is to stay away from anything after "Saw Delight".

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#23311) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Review by obiter
1 stars Time to review a couple of my least favourite albums ... it could get ugly (well at least it's not Amon Dull)

Cleverly Can lull you into a false sense of security at the opening. All Gates Open is actually quite passable. Not a lot happens, passable in this context is really a euphemism for not mind-numbingly awful. I can't help but think of waling in on a friends' we sister who was playing the family electric organ with a frighteningly annoying drum rhythm playing, and plonking a few keys with a disproportionate sense of glee. Safe is actually worse.

Sunday Jam is a welcome surprise. I found myself getting up and making a cup of tea as I thought the CD had stalled and inane elevator music was filling the gap. No, Sunday Jam is that elevator music. The lack of an elevator in my house should have given it away earlier.

Spectacle is actually quite a pleasant funky Starsky and Hutch number with an echoing mouth harp and some quite smart bass. Despite my prejudice I've got to admit this one is just a little bit groovy.

Ping pong is half a minute a ping pong ball bouncing on a table tennis table, You might think that's a pile of BS but you have to reserve that accolade for the truly dreadful cringe worthy Can Be (Can-can) number. How could anyone think this was a good idea? And even if they did, surely, but surely someone must have realised how hideously irritating and Goon Bay Dance Band this is. The Birdy Song and Grandad sound like prog classics in comparison.

Send comments to obiter (BETA) | Report this review (#169483) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 01, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars When I listen to this album, I keep feeling that I should be seeing Mike Myers, as Dieter on Saturday Night, whining, "Now iss ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance."

This isn't a completely terrible Can album, it does have some listenable jams, but it in no way stands up to the better Can albums. Karoli, Schmidt and company are by no means virtuosos, but with the use of a studio full of effects, they come up with an album full of odd sounding dance tunes, but not terribly progressive ones.

Can? I'm not very certain they could at that point in their history.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221428) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Can's last album exists under three different titles. I've come to know it as Inner Space, but it is also listed as Can and it exists as a package where it is crammed onto one CD together with Out Of Reach. I've always loved this album so as a special tribute I'll post a review for this edition as well.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

Can went through many phases, this album is an example of their smoother and funkier style. It doesn't contain as much innovative aspects as the previous couple of albums but with 5 strong tracks amounting to 30 great minutes it's a solid 4 star again.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255268) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars I guess the iceberg credited with sinking the titanic is destined to have all subsequent achievements measured unfavourably against its coup de grace. CAN is highly regarded among the prog elite and far beyond prog - many artists of the 70s, 80s and beyond name CAN as a significant influence, and these include both other Krautrockers as well as those further afield. While I am only familiar with a small portion of their output, I actually find this late 70s effort to be superior to the contemporaneous work by many of the prog giants of the day.

The playing is inspired, at times virtuous, the beats are infectious, albeit a bit too regular for the average elite prog fan, and the musicality of the exercises shine through all the period trappings in "Safe" and "Sunday Jam". These showcase Michael Karoli's guitar work and Irmin Schmidt's keys. There's generally a lot going on here but it succeeds in being mellow and groovy at the same time. Then again, "Sodom" and "Aspectacled" might be what detractors were referring to, trying to hard to establish a cool vibe, but the latter does have a decent synth theme. Luckily "Can Can", another installment of the ethnological forgery series kicks off its heels and provides welcome levity and clarity.

As someone who is not a fan of Kraut rock per se, my opinion might have more or less value to you depending on where you sit, but it seems that what CAN can do at their erstwhile worst is a pretty decent kick at the can.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#290244) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I actually kinda like this album, as opposed to the last two which I kinda loathed. It's the same lineup as before, so there are certainly many instances of the same noodly boring stuff (or, in the case of "A Spectacle," ill-conceived and incompetent attempts at pop) that I didn't like from these guys before, but there are also tracks where the band's new jamming style seems to mesh. In particular, the opening two tracks, the longest on the album, each manage to keep my attention through almost their entire lengths, which definitely couldn't be said about "Animal Waves" from Saw Delight (which ran almost as long on its own as these two tracks put together). "All Gates Open" combines harmonica in the first part with some actual warmth in Schmidt's tone and note choices, and "Safe" kinda works as a 1979 update of the Flow Motion vibe. It's gritty, it's groovy, and it's sooooo German, (in a Kraftwerk way more than a typical Can way), and I like it, dagnabbit.

The next three tracks take the band into (by now) typical territory, which of course means that the rating inevitably goes down, though at least "Sodom" has somewhat of an air of morbidity. Just when I've resigned myself to the same ole head drooping, though, the album takes the ultimate left turn. Yes, I am speaking of the band's cover of "Can-Can," a track so wrong on every level that I nearly keel over laughing every time, and that's a good thing. I can see why many fans would hate it, of course; this is the kind of thing that Mannheim Steamroller spent their whole career doing, and the kind of thing people hate ELP for bringing about in the first place. But man, this isn't something the band did on a regular basis; this is a one-time joke from a band that never showed on-the-job humor, and it's an opportunity to make complete fools of themselves that the band takes full advantage of. Oh man, Karoli doesn't even try to show any "good taste" or restraint in his guitar sounds on this, a basically note-for-note cover of the original, and it's all for the better. The last track, which is basically variations on "Can-Can," is a hoot too.

A brief review of a largely insignificant album, yes, but an album I'm not sorry to have heard. The band really had no future at this point, and it was a good thing for them to break up, but there have been far worse farewell albums in history, and I'm glad to say that I really like more than twenty minutes of this.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#397742) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011

4 stars I find I am always a dissenter when it comes to this album. I own most of the early stuff, and though it is great in it's own way, alot of it was recorded on primitive equipment. And if you haven't figured it out by now, Can was basically an improvising band...what you heard on their albums was ... (read more)

Report this review (#159778) | Posted by ProggaWogga | Friday, January 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I remember hoping and praying for a return to form with this album, and you can tell that the band are trying. But without Czukay it's a hard slog. There's none of the inventive power of the early albums. Nothing here astonishes or delights. In parts the album is almost unlistenably bland. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#35309) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Can"