CAN

3. Sunday Jam (4:17)
4. Sodom (5:43)
5. Aspectacle (5:52)
Side 2
6. EFS No. 99 "Can Can" (3:16)
7. Ping Pong (0:25) Traditional
8. Can be (3:00)

This album was later released under the name "Inner Space" in 1985 under the Thunderbolt label and also included on the 1998 Thunderbolt release: "Inner Space / Out of Reach".

Search CAN Can lyrics

Search CAN Can tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitar, vocal, bass on "Can Be"
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboard, synthesizers
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Rosko Gee / bass
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Can Music

Mute 2008
Future DaysFuture Days
Remastered
Mute 2008
Jeannie Seeley Can I Sleep in Your Arms He'll Love .... US $1.50 Buy It Now 29m 40s
Can You Stop The Rain Peabo Bryson CD Classic R&B Soul Motown Music US $0.99 [0 bids]
33m 29s
BRASS CONSTRUCTION-CAN YOU SEE THE LIGHT 12"-US-FUNK-EX US $8.68 Buy It Now 39m 34s
SLAUGHTER MEATCLEAVER CD...NEW.....SEALED!!..Can be signed LTD COPIES!!! US $10.99 [0 bids]
40m 12s
SANDSTONE "Can You Mend A Silver Thread" US $14.99 Buy It Now 40m 43s
Blue Pearl - (Can You) Feel the Passion x5 - SBK 1992 U.S. cd - RARE! US $8.97 Buy It Now 42m 35s
12" vinyl SKIPWORTH & TURNER - CAN'T GIVE HER UP Warner 20473 Vinyl:VG+ Cover:VG US $1.99 Buy It Now 44m 12s
45 Jimmy Soul: Twistin' Matilda (b/w I Can't Hold Out Any Longer); S.P.Q.R; MINT US $6.99 [0 bids]
45m 47s
U2 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' CD US $5.19 Buy It Now 46m 7s
THE MAMAS & THE PAPAS IF YOU CAN BELIEVE YOUR EYES AND EARS LP, LSD-10076 US $5.99 [0 bids]
46m 48s
Lisa Lisa - Can You Feel The Beat 45 rpm Vinyl Columbia Records NM 1985 US $3.00 Buy It Now 50m 1s
Can I Want More - 4 Prong 7" vinyl single record UK VS153 VIRGIN 1976 US $21.03 Buy It Now 53m 35s
Gerry Mulligan Quartet "I Can't Get Started" EP Pacific Jazz#ep4-21 Very Good ++ US $9.99 Buy It Now 54m 39s
SUMMER BREEZE SEASONS VOL.1 - Japan CD - NEW MIGUEL MIGS KASKADE CAN7 OSCAR US $15.99 Buy It Now 55m 27s
MICHAEL STANLEY BAND - YOU CAN'T FIGHT FASHION - EMI AMERICA RECORDS LP US $5.00 Buy It Now 56m 7s
Five Mariah Carey CDs- Honey, Heartbreaker, Can't Take That Away, Thank God I .. US $5.39 Buy It Now 56m 34s
TAMMY WYNETTE We Sure Can Love Each Other Reel to Reel Tape Epic Tested US $6.74 Buy It Now 59m 56s
Unbalance by Kick The Can Crew (CD 2002) RARE! Japan! US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
realistic cassette tape holder 44-612A RADIO SHACK CAN STORE 12 TAPES US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
78 Rpm Record Harry Raby & 3-D Valley Boys Open Up Your Heart / If You Can Spare US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Walls Can Fall ~ Jones, George CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Can't Run From Yourself ~ Tucker, Tanya CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
2x 78rpm THE CHARIOTEERS- WHEN I GROW TOO OLD TO DREAM 10" YOU CAN'T SEE THE SUN US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Kip Anderson Thats All I Can Do / I Went Off & Cried Promo Southern Soul Vinyl US $9.99 [0 bids]
You Can Dance, Madonna, Good US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
ANYONE CAN DANCE SWING - EAST COAST TRIPLE CD & DVD NEW US $60.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
BOYS TOWN GANG - I Just Can't Help Believing - 12" single US $6.11 Buy It Now 1h 24m
KYLIE MINOGUE Can't Get You Out Of My Head w PLASTIKA Mix + Boy US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
ZAPP lll HEARTBREAKER/I CAN MAKE YOU DANCE /1983 WARNER BROS RECORDS US $8.00 [0 bids]
SURVIVOR I SEE YOU IN EVERYONE & I CAN'T HOLD BACK 45 VINYL RECORD 1984 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
The Mighty Clouds of Joy New CD If Jesus Can't Fix It Christian Music Gospel US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
George / Katie Noonan You Can Take What's Mine 6 Track CD EP US $7.84 Buy It Now 1h 32m
2x CD PAJAMA PARTY Up All Night w Yo No Se & Over & Over + Can't Live Without It US $149.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
NU SHOOZ - I Can't Wait - Scarce 1986 UK Atlantic label 2-track 12" Single US $12.98 Buy It Now 1h 33m
LISE WESTZYNTHIUS - ROCK, YOU CAN FLY - 2004 CD US $2.50 Buy It Now 1h 33m
SCOTT MCKEON - CAN'T TAKE NO MORE - 2007 CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
PAUL SIMON ~ You Can Call Me Al ~ 12" Single PS US $9.73 Buy It Now 1h 35m
DAVID KRULL - CAN'T LET GO NEW CD US $23.37 Buy It Now 1h 35m
CARLEY BAER - YOU CAN'T CONTROL THE WEATHER NEW CD US $23.37 Buy It Now 1h 35m
CBS LABORATORIES I CAN HEAR IT NOW BOX SET EDWARD R. MURROW 4 LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
TERESA RUSSELL - SHOW YOU WHAT LOVE CAN DO NEW CD US $25.87 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Sean Ikin "Everything I Can" - 3 track CD single gatefold card sleeve US $1.74 [0 bids]
WILLIE LOMAX - BEST BLUES MONEY CAN BUY NEW CD US $25.15 Buy It Now 1h 36m
(OK2) The Kinks You Can't Stop the Music UK 7" 45 EX+ Beauty!! US $25.99 Buy It Now 1h 39m
PORTER JR,GEORGE & RUNNIN P...-CAN`T BEAT THE FUNK CD NEW US $18.52 Buy It Now 1h 39m
FIORI,SERGE-SERGE FIORI (CAN) CD NEW US $29.86 Buy It Now 1h 39m
WARREN ACE & THE DUKES Why Waltz When You Can Rock and Roll? ROCKABILLY Teddyboy US $16.19 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Howling Diablos-Ultra Sonic Gas Can CD NEW US $16.90 Buy It Now 1h 39m
STEEL PANTHER-ALL YOU CAN EAT CD/DVD (AUSTRALIAN FA... CD NEW US $43.97 Buy It Now 1h 39m
UP IN THE AIR-UP IN THE AIR (CAN) CD NEW US $31.04 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Kook the Kashcow-Can`t Stop the Hustle CD NEW US $14.57 Buy It Now 1h 39m
KYLIE , CAN,T GET YOU OUT OF MY HEAD,CD/SINGLE,CD 1 US $4.27 Buy It Now 1h 41m
CAN Ege Bamyasi CD PSYCH KRAUTROCK Remastered US $20.05 Buy It Now 1h 41m
PAULINI, WE CAN TRY, CD/SINGLE US $6.98 Buy It Now 1h 43m
LENNY KRAVITZ, IF YOU CAN,T SAY NO, CD/SINGLE US $6.98 Buy It Now 1h 44m
JUDY GREEN "I Can't Get Along Without You" b/w "Come On Out Of The Cold" VG+ US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
GRENADILLA - CAN'T WAIT NEW CD US $23.01 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Rare Ken Griffin 78rpm "You Can't Be True/Barcarolle" 460 Broadcast US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
DAVID KISOR - I CAN SETTLE DOWN NEW CD US $21.94 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Helen Reddy - I Can't Hear You No More / Music Is My Life 45 1976 US $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Tony "Dr. Edit" Garcia / Angelique - I Can't Live Without You CD NEW Freestyle US $28.04 Buy It Now 1h 48m
TRAVIS WAMMACK-SO GOOD-C/W-HOW CAN I TELL YOU-USA FAME US $9.73 Buy It Now 1h 48m
LP: HOW CAN I UNLOVE YOU * Lynn Anderson (1971 Columbia) "All Day Sucker" US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
PHIL COLLINS - You Can't Hurry Love / I Cannot Believe It's True - 7" Single US $3.72 Buy It Now 1h 50m
PETER TOSH CAN'T BLAME THE YOUTH *** CD *** in stock buy now US $11.23 Buy It Now 1h 51m
MIDNIGHT STAR-WET MY WHISTLE/YOU CAN'T STOP ME 7"-FUNK US $8.68 Buy It Now 1h 52m
LAST WORD (WORDS) Can't Stop Loving You 45rpm ATCO 1967 Soul Rock/Blue Eyed Soul US $6.95 Buy It Now 1h 52m
PET SHOP BOYS Can You Forgive Her? RARE UK PROMO 12" 1993 ORIGINAL US $13.07 Buy It Now 1h 53m
1957 THE LETTERMEN "GOIN' OUT OF MY HEAD"/ "CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU" 45 7" US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 54m
CAROLINE RHEA - WHAT IS IT YOU CAN'T FACE? NEW CD US $23.37 Buy It Now 1h 56m
JACKSON 5 Never Can Say Goodbye / She's Good MOTOWN 1179 SOUL 45 US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Johnny Horton - I Can't Forget You Asian Color LP FL-1359 US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 57m
DJ FERNANDO LOPEZ - We Can Do It - CD single US $13.38 Buy It Now 1h 59m
James Brown - I Can't Stand Myself Asian Color LP FL-1583 US $35.00 Buy It Now 2h
TOMMY ROE - We Can Make Music ~ VINYL LP US $10.70 Buy It Now 2h 8m
THE CURE WHY CAN'T I BE YOU? UK IMPORT 7" VINYL SINGLE US $17.44 Buy It Now 2h 9m
THE CURE WHY CAN'T I BE YOU? AUSTRALIAN 7" VINYL SINGLE US $21.81 Buy It Now 2h 11m
UK TMG 648 Smokey Robinson - IF YOU CAN WANT US $40.60 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Cissy Houston * I ' m So Glad I Can Love Again * U K JANUS US $6.48 Buy It Now 2h 16m
GEORG LEVIN can't hold back US $6.11 Buy It Now 2h 16m
L J WAITERS & THE ELECTRIFIERS - Can You Deal With It - PHIL LA SOUL US $3.23 Buy It Now 2h 17m
STEVE ARRINGTON'S HALL OF FAME * Nobody Can Be You * Atlantic US $3.23 Buy It Now 2h 17m
80 ' s Boogie - LE PAMPLEMOUSSE ** You Can Get Off On The Music ** AVI US $1.62 Buy It Now 2h 17m
80 ' s Demo - ALICIA MYERS ** Just Can ' t Stay Away ** MCA US $1.62 Buy It Now 2h 17m
70 ' s - VEDA BROWN ** I Can See Every Woman 's Man But Mine ** UK STAX US $9.73 Buy It Now 2h 17m
The Four Tops ** I CAN' T HELP MYSELF ** U K MFP Tamla I'M GRATEFUL US $9.73 Buy It Now 2h 17m
CLIFTON DYSON & RICK WEBB ** I Can ' t Let You Go ** Modern Soul US $5.68 Buy It Now 2h 20m
STATUS QUO IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT Cassette Tape US $14.21 Buy It Now 2h 20m
brother can you spare a dime great depression songs LP US $15.50 Buy It Now 2h 21m
CHRIS CHRISTIAN what can there be JAPAN 7" 07SP575 kR4 US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 21m
THE CURE Alt.End w Why Can't I Be Me + The End Of The World 2x CD robert smith US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Audio CD - R&B & Soul - Luther Vandross: Your Secret Love -I Can Make It Better US $13.75 Buy It Now 2h 23m
DIONNE WARWICK HOW MANY TIMES CAN WE SAY GOODBYE ARGENTINA LP US $23.07 Buy It Now 2h 25m
MARIO PERALTA THEMES FROM ET E.T. / HOW CAN I LIVE WITHOUT HER USA 7" US $58.07 Buy It Now 2h 25m
FRANKIE RANDALL -Life Can Be Beautiful / Let's Go To San Francisco-MINT UNPLAYED US $10.95 Buy It Now 2h 28m
BILLY IDOL- CD Promo SINGLE- 'CAN'T BREAK ME DOWN'-NEW US $8.93 [3 bids]
MATT BAND PAVOLKA - SOMETHING PEOPLE CAN USE NEW CD US $24.44 Buy It Now 2h 37m
TABEA ANDERFUHREN - WHO CAN EVER TELL NEW CD US $31.96 Buy It Now 2h 37m
STEELY DAN CAN'T BUY A THRILL Cassette Tape US $13.21 Buy It Now 2h 39m
body music 12":MARIE MURRAIN-how can love be so cruel (hear) US $16.23 Buy It Now 2h 41m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Can ratings distribution

CAN Can reviews

Review by soundsweird
2 stars I guess the inspiration had run out by this time. "Saw Delight" was pretty good, even with the lower-profile contributions of Holger Czukay, but this album finds the group doing a contractual-obligation snoozer. It's been some time since I sold this CD, so it's hard to give a precise post-mortem. I guess the best advice I can give is to stay away from anything after "Saw Delight".

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#23311) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Review by obiter
1 stars Time to review a couple of my least favourite albums ... it could get ugly (well at least it's not Amon Dull)

Cleverly Can lull you into a false sense of security at the opening. All Gates Open is actually quite passable. Not a lot happens, passable in this context is really a euphemism for not mind-numbingly awful. I can't help but think of waling in on a friends' we sister who was playing the family electric organ with a frighteningly annoying drum rhythm playing, and plonking a few keys with a disproportionate sense of glee. Safe is actually worse.

Sunday Jam is a welcome surprise. I found myself getting up and making a cup of tea as I thought the CD had stalled and inane elevator music was filling the gap. No, Sunday Jam is that elevator music. The lack of an elevator in my house should have given it away earlier.

Spectacle is actually quite a pleasant funky Starsky and Hutch number with an echoing mouth harp and some quite smart bass. Despite my prejudice I've got to admit this one is just a little bit groovy.

Ping pong is half a minute a ping pong ball bouncing on a table tennis table, You might think that's a pile of BS but you have to reserve that accolade for the truly dreadful cringe worthy Can Be (Can-can) number. How could anyone think this was a good idea? And even if they did, surely, but surely someone must have realised how hideously irritating and Goon Bay Dance Band this is. The Birdy Song and Grandad sound like prog classics in comparison.

Send comments to obiter (BETA) | Report this review (#169483) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 01, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars When I listen to this album, I keep feeling that I should be seeing Mike Myers, as Dieter on Saturday Night, whining, "Now iss ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance."

This isn't a completely terrible Can album, it does have some listenable jams, but it in no way stands up to the better Can albums. Karoli, Schmidt and company are by no means virtuosos, but with the use of a studio full of effects, they come up with an album full of odd sounding dance tunes, but not terribly progressive ones.

Can? I'm not very certain they could at that point in their history.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221428) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Can's last album exists under three different titles. I've come to know it as Inner Space, but it is also listed as Can and it exists as a package where it is crammed onto one CD together with Out Of Reach. I've always loved this album so as a special tribute I'll post a review for this edition as well.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

Can went through many phases, this album is an example of their smoother and funkier style. It doesn't contain as much innovative aspects as the previous couple of albums but with 5 strong tracks amounting to 30 great minutes it's a solid 4 star again.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255268) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars I guess the iceberg credited with sinking the titanic is destined to have all subsequent achievements measured unfavourably against its coup de grace. CAN is highly regarded among the prog elite and far beyond prog - many artists of the 70s, 80s and beyond name CAN as a significant influence, and these include both other Krautrockers as well as those further afield. While I am only familiar with a small portion of their output, I actually find this late 70s effort to be superior to the contemporaneous work by many of the prog giants of the day.

The playing is inspired, at times virtuous, the beats are infectious, albeit a bit too regular for the average elite prog fan, and the musicality of the exercises shine through all the period trappings in "Safe" and "Sunday Jam". These showcase Michael Karoli's guitar work and Irmin Schmidt's keys. There's generally a lot going on here but it succeeds in being mellow and groovy at the same time. Then again, "Sodom" and "Aspectacled" might be what detractors were referring to, trying to hard to establish a cool vibe, but the latter does have a decent synth theme. Luckily "Can Can", another installment of the ethnological forgery series kicks off its heels and provides welcome levity and clarity.

As someone who is not a fan of Kraut rock per se, my opinion might have more or less value to you depending on where you sit, but it seems that what CAN can do at their erstwhile worst is a pretty decent kick at the can.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#290244) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I actually kinda like this album, as opposed to the last two which I kinda loathed. It's the same lineup as before, so there are certainly many instances of the same noodly boring stuff (or, in the case of "A Spectacle," ill-conceived and incompetent attempts at pop) that I didn't like from these guys before, but there are also tracks where the band's new jamming style seems to mesh. In particular, the opening two tracks, the longest on the album, each manage to keep my attention through almost their entire lengths, which definitely couldn't be said about "Animal Waves" from Saw Delight (which ran almost as long on its own as these two tracks put together). "All Gates Open" combines harmonica in the first part with some actual warmth in Schmidt's tone and note choices, and "Safe" kinda works as a 1979 update of the Flow Motion vibe. It's gritty, it's groovy, and it's sooooo German, (in a Kraftwerk way more than a typical Can way), and I like it, dagnabbit.

The next three tracks take the band into (by now) typical territory, which of course means that the rating inevitably goes down, though at least "Sodom" has somewhat of an air of morbidity. Just when I've resigned myself to the same ole head drooping, though, the album takes the ultimate left turn. Yes, I am speaking of the band's cover of "Can-Can," a track so wrong on every level that I nearly keel over laughing every time, and that's a good thing. I can see why many fans would hate it, of course; this is the kind of thing that Mannheim Steamroller spent their whole career doing, and the kind of thing people hate ELP for bringing about in the first place. But man, this isn't something the band did on a regular basis; this is a one-time joke from a band that never showed on-the-job humor, and it's an opportunity to make complete fools of themselves that the band takes full advantage of. Oh man, Karoli doesn't even try to show any "good taste" or restraint in his guitar sounds on this, a basically note-for-note cover of the original, and it's all for the better. The last track, which is basically variations on "Can-Can," is a hoot too.

A brief review of a largely insignificant album, yes, but an album I'm not sorry to have heard. The band really had no future at this point, and it was a good thing for them to break up, but there have been far worse farewell albums in history, and I'm glad to say that I really like more than twenty minutes of this.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#397742) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011

4 stars I find I am always a dissenter when it comes to this album. I own most of the early stuff, and though it is great in it's own way, alot of it was recorded on primitive equipment. And if you haven't figured it out by now, Can was basically an improvising band...what you heard on their albums was ... (read more)

Report this review (#159778) | Posted by ProggaWogga | Friday, January 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I remember hoping and praying for a return to form with this album, and you can tell that the band are trying. But without Czukay it's a hard slog. There's none of the inventive power of the early albums. Nothing here astonishes or delights. In parts the album is almost unlistenably bland. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#35309) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Can"