CAN

3. Sunday Jam (4:17)
4. Sodom (5:43)
5. Aspectacle (5:52)
Side 2
6. EFS No. 99 "Can Can" (3:16)
7. Ping Pong (0:25) Traditional
8. Can be (3:00)

This album was later released under the name "Inner Space" in 1985 under the Thunderbolt label and also included on the 1998 Thunderbolt release: "Inner Space / Out of Reach".

Search CAN Can lyrics

Search CAN Can tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitar, vocal, bass on "Can Be"
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboard, synthesizers
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Rosko Gee / bass
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Can Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute U.S. 2008
BOZ SCAGGS - What Can I Say - Excellent Con 7" Single US $6.71 Buy It Now 30m 53s
PHONIX - I CAN MAKE YOU 12" / RARE UK GARAGE US $13.87 Buy It Now 30m 58s
Professor Alex Bradford BLACK GOSPEL 45 (Specialty 905) Steal Away/I Can't Tarry US $6.95 Buy It Now 31m 16s
Matt Bianco- More Than I Can Bear (Remix)-Rock 45 US $5.99 Buy It Now 31m 38s
Gene Hughes King 2002 Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye US $4.50 Buy It Now 32m 47s
TAKE THAT why can't i wake up with you 7" WS EX/ promo US $11.75 Buy It Now 33m 12s
SLIM WHITMAN can't help falling in love 7" WS EX/ US $11.75 Buy It Now 33m 12s
OSMONDS i can't live a dream 7" CS EX/EX uk polydor 2066 726 US $10.71 Buy It Now 33m 12s
Marvin Gaye MOTOWN 45 (Tamla 54160) You/Change What You Can US $6.95 Buy It Now 33m 59s
JOE WALSH YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH A SICK MIND UK 1976 VINYL LP+ INNER SLEEVE *EX/EX US $15.04 Buy It Now 34m 5s
@ CD Rags - Mama Can I RARE FEMALE AOR / PANSER RECORDS 1995 US $12.99 Buy It Now 34m 47s
Equipe 84 ITALY 45 rpm '68 PSYCH ROCK PS 7": UN ANGELO BLU I Can't Let Maggie Go US $19.99 [0 bids]
35m 24s
I Can Hear It Now US $25.25 [0 bids]
35m 36s
LES SMITHART-Can't Live Life Alone/Making Fun of Me-Cowboy EX 78rpm Record US $38.99 [0 bids]
36m 20s
DOMINOES-Sixty Minute Man/Can't Escape From You-R&B Classic EX 78rpm Record US $38.99 [0 bids]
36m 54s
45 BARRY WHITE ~ CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF YOUR LOVE / NEVER NEVER GONNA - 74 / 73 US $4.95 Buy It Now 37m 18s
45 THREE DOG NIGHT ~ JOY TO THE WORLD / I CAN HEAR YOU CALLING -- 71 US $4.95 Buy It Now 37m 27s
JOE WALSH YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH A SICK MIND UK 1976 VINYL LP*NEAR MINT THROUGHOUT US $12.02 Buy It Now 37m 41s
Marty Robbins / I Can't Say Goodbye / 1969 / Columbia 4-44895 / Red Label / 7" US $4.25 Buy It Now 38m 13s
Ex Tras(7" Vinyl)Can't Keep Still-Dancefloor-DF7001-UK-M/M US $10.07 Buy It Now 38m 25s
Mr Bojangles(7" Vinyl)You Can Get It If You Really Want-Trojan-TRO 9103-UK-M/M US $6.71 Buy It Now 38m 36s
Ya Ya(7" Vinyl)What Can I Say-Buzz-BUZZ 2-UK-M/M US $8.39 Buy It Now 38m 40s
Fiend - Can I Burn? New Orleans Rap CD - B-Shype Big Ed Ward Block Blak Water US $6.00 Buy It Now 38m 45s
Spinners 70s 45 (Atlantic 3284) They Just Can't Stop It VG++/M- US $6.95 Buy It Now 38m 56s
NEW - You Can Hide Inside the Music US $13.59 Buy It Now 39m 15s
BARBRA MERCER: Hey! / Can't Stop Loving You Baby 45 Soul US $18.00 Buy It Now 39m 36s
KWS - Can't Get Enough Of Your Love [CD] Single US $2.35 Buy It Now 40m 27s
NORTHERN SOUL FLIRTATIONS NOTHING BUT A HEARTACHE/HOW CAN YOU VG++ HEAR US $25.00 [0 bids]
40m 51s
Razorlight - I Can't Stop This Feeling I've Got + In The Morning 2 Promo CD Set US $2.52 Buy It Now 41m 6s
KEN DOWD teen rock 45 KING AND QUEEN / A SAD STORY all I can do is cry~ VG+ r+r US $7.49 Buy It Now 41m 32s
SUZI QUATRO IF YOU CAN'T GIVE ME LOVE 7" single US $4.27 Buy It Now 42m 35s
Tyrone Davis "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)/I Can't Wait" Orig 45 US $6.99 Buy It Now 43m 17s
Madonna You Can Dance Puzzle sealed US $288.88 Buy It Now 43m 24s
Lyte Funkie Ones LFO : SUMMER GIRLS / CAN'T HAVE YOU CD Single US $3.99 Buy It Now 43m 56s
Mista Madd - Can I Live? Rap CD South Park Mexican Lucky Lil Mario Yungsta ESG US $7.00 Buy It Now 44m 10s
45 PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY, NO RECORD, STEVIE NICKS, I CAN'T WAIT, THE NIGHTMARE US $3.60 Buy It Now 44m 14s
NEW - Can't Breathe by Boiler Room US $4.27 Buy It Now 44m 24s
Arthur Conley Don't Fight It b/w Can't Stop Loving WLP US $5.00 Buy It Now 45m 48s
No Side - Innocent people/ Graveyard shuffle/ I can't.. PS 7 / 45 Belgium US $29.99 Buy It Now 46m 55s
LIONEL RICHIE Can't Slow Down 1980s FRANCE CD issue motown (used) US $8.00 Buy It Now 46m 59s
Don Johnson-Heart Beat/Can't Take Your Memory US $2.50 Buy It Now 47m 40s
The Real Thing Best Of inc Can't Get By Without You + Cassette Tape - TESTED US $6.05 Buy It Now 48m 21s
JIMMY ROBBINS I CAN'T PLEASE YOU SOUL DANCER EXC US $225.00 Buy It Now 48m 22s
Glamour Gold ?- You Can Run - Philly Blunt ?- PB008 1996 LISTEN US $16.79 Buy It Now 49m 51s
Kitty Wells "She's No Angel/I Can't Stop Lovin' You" 45 UK import US $4.95 Buy It Now 50m 52s
John Senati & Orch "Music From Can-Can"LP Bravo stereo US $0.99 [0 bids]
50m 53s
45 RPM RECORD/9) CONWAY TWITTY / I CAN'T HELP IT IF SHE CAN'T STOP LOVING ME US $2.00 Buy It Now 51m 15s
Jones, Georgette - Till I Can Make It On My Own (2013) - Classic Country Artists US $34.51 Buy It Now 51m 22s
Garland Green "Jealous Kind Of Fella/I Can't Believe You Quit Me" 45 RPM UNI US $6.99 Buy It Now 52m 5s
ADAM ANT - Can't Set Rules About Love - 1990 UK 2-track 7" vinyl single US $13.43 Buy It Now 52m 14s
45 RPM Record - Jan Howard - "I've Got My Pride" bw "A World I Can't Live In" US $3.00 [1 bids]
52m 19s
The Showdown If You Can't SEALED LP Hip Hop 1999 Rap US $25.00 Buy It Now 52m 41s
ISAAC HAYES never can say goodbye / i stand accused 7" Mint- STX 1046 Vinyl US $8.00 Buy It Now 53m 11s
Gene Autry "Darlin'What More Can I Do/I Guess I've Been Asleep" Orig 78 Columbia US $5.99 Buy It Now 53m 14s
JANIS JOPLIN GREATEST HITS CASSETTE MOVE OVER GET IT WHILE YOU CAN BALL US $5.99 Buy It Now 55m 19s
LOLA I Can't Take It (remixes) vinyl 1&2 2x 12" SOBE Entertainment 604011/604014 US $7.99 Buy It Now 56m 12s
Robert Palmer "Some People Can Do What They Like" Original LP US $5.99 Buy It Now 56m 35s
Gene Autry "Darlin' What More Can I Do/I Guess I've Been Asleep" Original 78 US $5.99 Buy It Now 57m 33s
Rose Royce ?- Ooh Boy / You Can't Please Everybody US $4.00 Buy It Now 57m 41s
The Film - Can You Trust Me? 12" US $23.53 Buy It Now 58m 9s
VER-SA-TYL can't get enough LP VG+ VER 3001 Vinyl 1989 Record US $180.00 Buy It Now 58m 16s
THE EAGLES I Can't Tell You Why / Greeks Don't Want original 45 from 1979 US $2.99 Buy It Now 58m 35s
THE EAGLES I Can't Tell You Why / James Dean 45 US $4.99 Buy It Now 58m 35s
Kim Wilde If I Can't Have You Music Cassette Single MCA Label US $5.36 Buy It Now 58m 41s
Joe Cocker -Luxury You Can Afford- LP/Vinyl/Record US $3.95 [0 bids]
59m 19s
NEW - Yes We Can: Voices of a Grassroots Movement US $2.35 Buy It Now 59m 48s
GREG KIHN PROMO 45 "I Can't Stop Hurting Myself"1980 NM US $7.16 Buy It Now 1h
The Unchained Mynds We Can't Go On This Way Buddah Records Excellent Original US $5.00 [0 bids]
1h
Trash Can Sinatras A Happy Pocket LP C86 Labrador Club 8 Trembling Blue Stars US $69.99 [1 bids]
Hang On Sloopy b/w I Can't Explain It The McCoys 45 Bang W-10014 US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Can't Hardly Wait CD Music From The Motion Picture US $2.24 Buy It Now 1h 2m
FLASH - IN THE CAN ISRAELI PRESS LP SEXY NUDE COVER YES US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Chris Hinze Combination - Who Can See The Shadow Of The Sun LP JAZZ Israel press US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Luther Vandross - Can Heaven Wait 12" - Remixes US $12.19 Buy It Now 1h 5m
GARY NUMAN - I Can't Stop - Deleted 1986 UK 2-trk 12" US $8.39 Buy It Now 1h 5m
HOT BOOGIE LOVE LIGHTS (u can lay..) CONWAY & TEMPLE ? US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
We Can't Dance by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Nov-1991, Atlantic (Label)) US $3.99 [0 bids]
Bon Jovi - What About Now (Hong Kong Deluxe CD 2013) Because We Can Brand New US $6.98 Buy It Now 1h 7m
78 rpm JIMMIE DAVIS You'll be sorry/What more can I say DECCA 6025-VG US $1.99 [0 bids]
LEWIS can't wait another minute RIVA 44 (TS) promo uk riva 1986 12" CS EX/EX US $47.67 Buy It Now 1h 9m
2-MAD (i can't get no) satisfaction BLR T49 uk rolling stones cover 12" PS EX/EX US $15.04 Buy It Now 1h 9m
JAKI GRAHAM you can count on me AVEX T1 avex uk 1995 12" PS EX/EX US $15.04 Buy It Now 1h 9m
SHALAMAR i can make you feel good/friends/help me K12599T uk 1982 12" PS EX/EX US $15.04 Buy It Now 1h 9m
MEGA RARE N MINT 7" JAPAN WHITE LABEL PROMO BARBRA STREISAND HOW LUCKY CAN U GET US $79.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
12" DANCE REMIXES: CLAUDJA BARRY - CAN'T YOU FEEL MY HEART BEAT 12" NM US $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Blei Frei - I Can Feel It 12" - Rare Euro House - 1993 US $11.35 Buy It Now 1h 10m
EDWARD R MURROW I CAN HEAR IT NOW VOLUME 1 vinyl lp US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
NM/Best Of The WHO/LP/Polydor/Holland Pressing/My Generation/I can see for miles US $7.09 Buy It Now 1h 11m
EDWARD R MURROW I CAN HEAR IT NOW VOLUME 2 vinyl lp US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Barefoot Jerry: Watchin' TV/You Can't Get off with Your Shoes On (See For Miles) US $49.95 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Jean Knight soul 45 Anything You Can Do / You Got The ~ Soulin' VG US $3.08 Buy It Now 1h 12m
JERRY LEE LEWIS - "I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU" / "ONE HAS MY NAME" on SMASH (VG+) US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
THE JACKSON 5 "NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 13m
78 RPM BILLY ECKSTINE i can read between the lines\it can't be wrong MGM 679 10" US $60.80 Buy It Now 1h 13m
AFTER 7 can't stop l.a.'s 7" edit/one world 7" VUS 31 uk virgin 7" PS EX/EX US $11.75 Buy It Now 1h 13m
78 RPM NICKY KIDD the girl from galway bay\i can't help it B.10222 10" WS EX/ US $60.80 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Yes - We Can Fly - Italy PR0M0 CD without Jon Anderson Rick Wakeman US $9.00 [1 bids]
John Rocca (12"Vinyl)Te Quiero Mi Amor (Can You Dig It) US $9.40 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Oceanic - Controlling Me (Can You Feel It) 12" PROMO US $10.51 Buy It Now 1h 15m
100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong Bon Jovi CD US $38.57 Buy It Now 1h 16m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Can ratings distribution

CAN Can reviews

Review by soundsweird
2 stars I guess the inspiration had run out by this time. "Saw Delight" was pretty good, even with the lower-profile contributions of Holger Czukay, but this album finds the group doing a contractual-obligation snoozer. It's been some time since I sold this CD, so it's hard to give a precise post-mortem. I guess the best advice I can give is to stay away from anything after "Saw Delight".

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#23311) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Review by obiter
1 stars Time to review a couple of my least favourite albums ... it could get ugly (well at least it's not Amon Dull)

Cleverly Can lull you into a false sense of security at the opening. All Gates Open is actually quite passable. Not a lot happens, passable in this context is really a euphemism for not mind-numbingly awful. I can't help but think of waling in on a friends' we sister who was playing the family electric organ with a frighteningly annoying drum rhythm playing, and plonking a few keys with a disproportionate sense of glee. Safe is actually worse.

Sunday Jam is a welcome surprise. I found myself getting up and making a cup of tea as I thought the CD had stalled and inane elevator music was filling the gap. No, Sunday Jam is that elevator music. The lack of an elevator in my house should have given it away earlier.

Spectacle is actually quite a pleasant funky Starsky and Hutch number with an echoing mouth harp and some quite smart bass. Despite my prejudice I've got to admit this one is just a little bit groovy.

Ping pong is half a minute a ping pong ball bouncing on a table tennis table, You might think that's a pile of BS but you have to reserve that accolade for the truly dreadful cringe worthy Can Be (Can-can) number. How could anyone think this was a good idea? And even if they did, surely, but surely someone must have realised how hideously irritating and Goon Bay Dance Band this is. The Birdy Song and Grandad sound like prog classics in comparison.

Send comments to obiter (BETA) | Report this review (#169483) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 01, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars When I listen to this album, I keep feeling that I should be seeing Mike Myers, as Dieter on Saturday Night, whining, "Now iss ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance."

This isn't a completely terrible Can album, it does have some listenable jams, but it in no way stands up to the better Can albums. Karoli, Schmidt and company are by no means virtuosos, but with the use of a studio full of effects, they come up with an album full of odd sounding dance tunes, but not terribly progressive ones.

Can? I'm not very certain they could at that point in their history.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221428) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Can's last album exists under three different titles. I've come to know it as Inner Space, but it is also listed as Can and it exists as a package where it is crammed onto one CD together with Out Of Reach. I've always loved this album so as a special tribute I'll post a review for this edition as well.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

Can went through many phases, this album is an example of their smoother and funkier style. It doesn't contain as much innovative aspects as the previous couple of albums but with 5 strong tracks amounting to 30 great minutes it's a solid 4 star again.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255268) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars I guess the iceberg credited with sinking the titanic is destined to have all subsequent achievements measured unfavourably against its coup de grace. CAN is highly regarded among the prog elite and far beyond prog - many artists of the 70s, 80s and beyond name CAN as a significant influence, and these include both other Krautrockers as well as those further afield. While I am only familiar with a small portion of their output, I actually find this late 70s effort to be superior to the contemporaneous work by many of the prog giants of the day.

The playing is inspired, at times virtuous, the beats are infectious, albeit a bit too regular for the average elite prog fan, and the musicality of the exercises shine through all the period trappings in "Safe" and "Sunday Jam". These showcase Michael Karoli's guitar work and Irmin Schmidt's keys. There's generally a lot going on here but it succeeds in being mellow and groovy at the same time. Then again, "Sodom" and "Aspectacled" might be what detractors were referring to, trying to hard to establish a cool vibe, but the latter does have a decent synth theme. Luckily "Can Can", another installment of the ethnological forgery series kicks off its heels and provides welcome levity and clarity.

As someone who is not a fan of Kraut rock per se, my opinion might have more or less value to you depending on where you sit, but it seems that what CAN can do at their erstwhile worst is a pretty decent kick at the can.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#290244) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I actually kinda like this album, as opposed to the last two which I kinda loathed. It's the same lineup as before, so there are certainly many instances of the same noodly boring stuff (or, in the case of "A Spectacle," ill-conceived and incompetent attempts at pop) that I didn't like from these guys before, but there are also tracks where the band's new jamming style seems to mesh. In particular, the opening two tracks, the longest on the album, each manage to keep my attention through almost their entire lengths, which definitely couldn't be said about "Animal Waves" from Saw Delight (which ran almost as long on its own as these two tracks put together). "All Gates Open" combines harmonica in the first part with some actual warmth in Schmidt's tone and note choices, and "Safe" kinda works as a 1979 update of the Flow Motion vibe. It's gritty, it's groovy, and it's sooooo German, (in a Kraftwerk way more than a typical Can way), and I like it, dagnabbit.

The next three tracks take the band into (by now) typical territory, which of course means that the rating inevitably goes down, though at least "Sodom" has somewhat of an air of morbidity. Just when I've resigned myself to the same ole head drooping, though, the album takes the ultimate left turn. Yes, I am speaking of the band's cover of "Can-Can," a track so wrong on every level that I nearly keel over laughing every time, and that's a good thing. I can see why many fans would hate it, of course; this is the kind of thing that Mannheim Steamroller spent their whole career doing, and the kind of thing people hate ELP for bringing about in the first place. But man, this isn't something the band did on a regular basis; this is a one-time joke from a band that never showed on-the-job humor, and it's an opportunity to make complete fools of themselves that the band takes full advantage of. Oh man, Karoli doesn't even try to show any "good taste" or restraint in his guitar sounds on this, a basically note-for-note cover of the original, and it's all for the better. The last track, which is basically variations on "Can-Can," is a hoot too.

A brief review of a largely insignificant album, yes, but an album I'm not sorry to have heard. The band really had no future at this point, and it was a good thing for them to break up, but there have been far worse farewell albums in history, and I'm glad to say that I really like more than twenty minutes of this.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#397742) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011

4 stars I find I am always a dissenter when it comes to this album. I own most of the early stuff, and though it is great in it's own way, alot of it was recorded on primitive equipment. And if you haven't figured it out by now, Can was basically an improvising band...what you heard on their albums was ... (read more)

Report this review (#159778) | Posted by ProggaWogga | Friday, January 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I remember hoping and praying for a return to form with this album, and you can tell that the band are trying. But without Czukay it's a hard slog. There's none of the inventive power of the early albums. Nothing here astonishes or delights. In parts the album is almost unlistenably bland. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#35309) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Can"