Can

3. Sunday Jam (4:17)
4. Sodom (5:43)
5. Aspectacle (5:52)
Side 2
6. EFS No. 99 "Can Can" (3:16)
7. Ping Pong (0:25) Traditional
8. Can be (3:00)

This album was later released under the name "Inner Space" in 1985 under the Thunderbolt label and also included on the 1998 Thunderbolt release: "Inner Space / Out of Reach".

Search CAN Can lyrics

Search CAN Can tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitar, vocal, bass on "Can Be"
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboard, synthesizers
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Rosko Gee / bass
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Can Music

Hybrid SACD - DSD · Remastered
Mute 2006
Can Box Music: Live 1971-1977Can Box Music: Live 1971-1977
Mute U.S. 1999
1954 Ronnie Harris I Love Paris (From Can Can) / I Still Believe UK 45 rpm NM- USD $2.90 Buy It Now 1h 35m
SEALED Cole Porter CAN-CAN Film Soundtrack LP SINATRA USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Buggs Can Can and Triggerman: Y2G's by Showboys (CD, Apr-2000, Papergame... USD $35.99 Buy It Now 3h
Can-Can (1953 Original Broadway Cast), , Good Cast Recording USD $2.68 Buy It Now 3h 4m
GLASS BAND Getting In Deep With You 7" B/w Queen Of The Can Can Show UK State 1 USD $8.10 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Can "Can" On Mute. Sealed Long Box. USD $8.98 [0 bids]
CAN-CAN (1950S,COLE PORTER) LILO, GWEN VERDON, COOKSON RARE VINYL BROADWAY LP USD $9.95 [0 bids]
STAINLESS STEAL Can-can 7" Demo Featuring Edited Version And It All Comes Down T USD $8.10 Buy It Now 4h 48m
STAINLESS STEAL Can-can 7" Edited Version Demo B/w It All Comes Down To Love UK USD $8.10 Buy It Now 5h 8m
GENEVIEVE s/t, ORIGINAL 1959 LP RECORD, NEAR MINT! C'est Magnifique, Can-Can... USD $12.95 Buy It Now 5h 36m
BOSTON POPS ORCHESTRA - CAN-CAN - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD 1957 USD $7.74 Buy It Now 6h 38m
Cole Porter's Can-Can Box Set (45 Vinyl) USD $14.95 Buy It Now 7h 9m
Can- can (Mini Lp) (CD) USD $29.99 Buy It Now 7h 38m
Various Artists - Can Can CD USD $11.89 Buy It Now 12h 33m
SKANDI GIRLS Do The Can Can CD 2 Tracks Inc Santa Xmas Mix USD $4.31 Buy It Now 13h 20m
JIVE BUNNY Can Can You Party 7" B/w Can Can Pic Sleeve UK Music Factory 1990 USD $8.10 Buy It Now 14h 14m
BAD MANNERS 7" VINYL . CAN CAN USD $2.32 Buy It Now 14h 30m
POINTER SISTERS Yes We Can Can 7" B/w Jada Writing On Label UK Blue Thumb 1973 USD $8.10 Buy It Now 15h 31m
Bernard Peiffer ORIG US LP Cole Porters Can-can EX 1960 DG Laurie LLP1008 MONO USD $19.53 Buy It Now 16h
Peter Jay & Jaywalkers~Original UK 45 Can-can '62 EX Decca F11531 Joe Meek Rock USD $11.70 Buy It Now 16h 7m
CAN CAN (COLE PORTER) - FRANK SINATRA/SHIRLEY MacLAINE - SOUNDTRACK - 12" LP (rb USD $1.53 [0 bids]
Bad Manners - Can Can Mint UK 7" single with picture sleeve M/M USD $15.45 Buy It Now 17h 3m
Bad Manners - Can Can UK 7" single with picture sleeve EX/NM USD $9.27 Buy It Now 17h 3m
Bad Manners - Can Can UK 7" single with picture sleeve VG/VG USD $7.73 Buy It Now 17h 4m
FREAKY REALISTIC Reach CD 4 Track Featuring Can Can Mix, D-street Dub,joy For Li USD $8.10 Buy It Now 18h 6m
BAD MANNERS - Can Can - 1981 UK 7" Juke Box Vinyl Single USD $10.80 Buy It Now 18h 16m
C'EST MAGNIFIQUE "CAN CAN" - IRENE HILDA Coliseum Orchestra 78rpm 1950's VINTAGE USD $22.33 Buy It Now 18h 22m
CAPITOL label company sleeve - red ink on brown stock; plugs "Can-Can" - 7" USD $4.00 Buy It Now 18h 37m
COLE PORTER'S CAN CAN ( VINYL LP ) USD $6.17 Buy It Now 19h 4m
Sealed Cole Porter's CAN-CAN Soundtrack Capitol LP Frank Sinatra Sm-1301 USD $7.29 Buy It Now 19h 6m
Can - Can (Inner Space) - Sealed 180g Vinyl LP + CD g USD $26.19 Buy It Now 19h 22m
LIGHT SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA Strauss Polkas / Offenbach Can Can 12" 78 HMV C2963 USD $20.07 Buy It Now 19h 32m
PETER JAY - CAN CAN 62 - 1962 DECCA 7" SINGLE - INSTRUMENTAL GEM - EXC. USD $6.17 Buy It Now 19h 36m
BAD MANNERS - Can Can - Excellent Condition 7" Single USD $6.17 Buy It Now 20h 5m
KNOWONE - NEVER / BOOMSHANKA MIX 4 TRACK 12" Vinyl (CAN CAN) CLASSIC PIANO HOUSE USD $11.58 Buy It Now 20h 45m
Stainless Steel / Can-Can / LP NM USD $12.99 Buy It Now 21h 37m
Razzberry Reynolds Polka Band Can Can Polka Billboard March 45 rpm Bowery Record USD $8.00 Buy It Now 22h 52m
COLE PORTER'S Can-Can Box Set Capitol Records 2 45s Original Broadway Cast B761 USD $15.02 Buy It Now 22h 56m
PETER JAY & THE JAYWALKERS - CAN-CAN '62 / REDSKINS. (UK, 1962, DECCA, F 11531) USD $4.62 [0 bids]
JIVE BUNNY can can you party 7" WS EX/ noc uk music factory MFD007 USD $15.28 Buy It Now 1 day
MIMI BENZELL AND FELIX KNIGHT can can ep 7" PS EX/EX uk bravo USD $15.28 Buy It Now 1 day
NELSON RIDDLE can can CAPS 2400161 uk Capitol LP PS EX/EX USD $15.44 Buy It Now 1 day
BAD MANNERS - Can Can (UK 2 Tk 1981 7" Single PS) USD $3.08 Buy It Now 1 day
Various Artists Can Can (Ost) [German Import] CD USD $1.96 Buy It Now 1 day
Stainless Steal - Can-Can Lp 1978 Promo, Rare Disco Funk VG++ USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN-CAN STAINLESS STEAL .. WB LP 1978 USD $3.25 [1 bids]
THE POINTER SISTERS Self Titled LP BLUE THUMB yes we can can USD $3.75 Buy It Now 1 day
London Theatre Company/KISMET & CAN CAN/Richmond-London B 20077 Sealed NEW USD $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Offenbach: Can Can/Gaité Parisienne/Overtures 0028947854081, CD, BRAND NEW USD $14.22 Buy It Now 1 day
el544 LP / POINTER SISTERS - JAPAN OBI / yes we can can / GATEFOLD BlueThumb USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BAD MANNERS Can Can Ex+ Magnet 1981 UK P/S 7" USD $6.17 Buy It Now 1 day
Can-Can - Soundtrack LP w/ Frank Sinatra, Shirley MacLaine USD $4.88 Buy It Now 1 day
BILLIE GODFREY I Love What You Do For Me 12" 4 Track Club Mix UK Can Can 1995 USD $8.10 Buy It Now 1 day
JIVE BUNNY Can Can You Party 12" 2 Track Extended Mix B/w Can Can But Has Pen M USD $8.10 Buy It Now 1 day
JIVE BUNNY Can Can You Party 12" One Sided White Label Test Pressing With Hand W USD $8.10 Buy It Now 1 day
Sinatra, Frank & Others - Can-Can - Soundtrack - Vinyl Soundtracks USD $16.62 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN - Can Soundtracks (stereo) (remastered) - LP USD $31.06 Buy It Now 1 day
Bad Manners-Can Can CD with DVD NEW USD $13.40 Buy It Now 1 day
The Pointer Sisters 45 rpm Jada & Yes We Can Can 1973 Blue Thumb records USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
3 LPs by POINTER SISTERS - S/T W/YES WE CAN CAN & 2 LP BEST OF - ON BLUE THUMB USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Benny Carter CAN CAN AND ANYTHING GOES + ASPECTS cd NEW USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
ME AND JULIET AND CAN CAN DUEL SOUNDTRACK LP 133 USD $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Pop Promo 45 Jose Feliciano - Yes We Can Can / Yes We Can Can On Rca USD $3.00 [0 bids]
CAN Can LIMITED EDITION SEALED VINYL LP Only 200 Copies USD $46.35 Buy It Now 2 days
ARTHUR FIEDLER Can-Can: An Offenbach Festival LP RCA AGL1-1963 VG+ Boston Pops USD $9.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Sandman Can Can Party 12" Universal Dance Records 1996 USD $23.17 Buy It Now 2 days
LOT 6xLP Broadway Movie SOUNDTRACKS 1953-1960 Annie Get Your Gun CAN-CAN Vinyl! USD $18.00 [0 bids]
USD $30.00 Buy It Now
Can Can LP SS Original Soundtrack USD $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Frank Sinatra Shirley MacLaine Louis Jourdan Maurice Chevalier Can Can OST 1960 USD $7.68 Buy It Now 2 days
LP NELSON RIDDLE PLAYS MUSIC FROM CAN CAN 1961 CAPITOL USD $12.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Cole Porter's Can-Can Original Soundtrack- Capitol LP Record USD $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Sounds Of A Thousand Strings Cole Porter's Can Can LP USD $11.58 Buy It Now 2 days
Arthur Fiedler - Can-Can : An Offenbach Festival LP Boston Pops RCA 1975 USD $3.74 Buy It Now 2 days
12" 36213-A/B - Light Symphony Orchestra - Strauss Polkas/Offenbach Can-Can USD $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
COLE PORTER'S CAN-CAN: ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK (1960 STAGE&SCREEN) **NEAR MINT** USD $1.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Jack Costanzo's Afro Can Can Reel to Reel 4 Track 7.5 ips Liberty LT-7137 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE DISCOETTES - DISCO DANCE PARTY * RARE OZ FUNK LP BREAKS YES WE CAN CAN USD $39.14 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN - CAN (INNER SPACE), 1990 LIMITED EDITION 180G vinyl LP, NEW - SEALED! USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Various OST(Vinyl LP 1st Issue)Can-Can-Capitol-SW 1301-UK-NM/NM USD $38.62 Buy It Now 2 days
JIVE BUNNY Can Can You Party 12" Ps, Extd Mix B/W The Can Can USD $13.89 Buy It Now 2 days
7" VINYL BAD MANNERS CAN CAN PICTURE SLEEVE EXC USD $6.94 Buy It Now 2 days
FRANK SINATRA SHIRLEY MACLAINE ORIG 1960 U.K. LP CAN CAN EXCELLENT USD $23.17 Buy It Now 2 days
Pointer Sisters - Best of (2 LP set) (Sealed) ("Steam Heat", "Yes We Can Can") USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MARSEILLE Over And Over 7" 3 Track B/w You're A Woman And Can Can Pic Sleeve UK USD $8.10 Buy It Now 2 days
FRANKIE CARLE Plays Can Can 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring I Love Paris, It's All Right USD $15.39 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER JAY AND THE JAYWALKERS Can Can 62 7" B/w Redskins UK Decca 1962 USD $8.10 Buy It Now 2 days
MAURICE CHEVALIER Sings Can Can 7" 4 Track Mono Ep Featuring C'est Magnifique, I USD $8.10 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN CAN CD 11 TRACK PROMO ONLY + NUMBERED CARD P/S (1997) UK USD $23.18 Buy It Now 2 days
Sinatra, Frank & Others - Can-Can - Soundtrack - Vinyl Soundtracks USD $18.61 Buy It Now 2 days
Pointer Sisters - Yes We Can Can [CD New] USD $7.39 Buy It Now 2 days
Pointer Sisters - Yes We Can Can (CD New) USD $7.39 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN CAN Lilo/Gwen Verdon/Hans Conried 1953 CAPITOL LP NM/VG+ USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Bernard Peiffer-Plays Cole Porter's Can-Can-Laurie 1008-NICE USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Soul 45 The Pointer Sisters - Fairytale / Yes We Can Can On Goldies 45 USD $3.00 Buy It Now 3 days
PULSE Can can girl Burrit Bradley heavy psych promo USD $13.99 Buy It Now 3 days
CAN-CAN ORIGINAL BROADWAY CAST CASSETTE, GREAT MUSIC USD $0.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Bernard Peiffer "Plays Cole Porters Can-Can" Laurie Jazz 1960 NM USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Can Can-1960- Original Movie Soundtrack LP USD $15.62 Buy It Now 3 days
The Beatles 45 w/ Great Picture Sleeve ~We Can Can Work It Out ~Day Tripper 5555 USD $25.00 [0 bids]
Can Can- HLP-337S Red vinyl album USD $5.00 [0 bids]
LP soundtracks
~ USD $18.92
LP tago mago: live

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Can ratings distribution

CAN Can reviews

Review by soundsweird
2 stars I guess the inspiration had run out by this time. "Saw Delight" was pretty good, even with the lower-profile contributions of Holger Czukay, but this album finds the group doing a contractual-obligation snoozer. It's been some time since I sold this CD, so it's hard to give a precise post-mortem. I guess the best advice I can give is to stay away from anything after "Saw Delight".

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#23311) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Review by obiter
1 stars Time to review a couple of my least favourite albums ... it could get ugly (well at least it's not Amon Dull)

Cleverly Can lull you into a false sense of security at the opening. All Gates Open is actually quite passable. Not a lot happens, passable in this context is really a euphemism for not mind-numbingly awful. I can't help but think of waling in on a friends' we sister who was playing the family electric organ with a frighteningly annoying drum rhythm playing, and plonking a few keys with a disproportionate sense of glee. Safe is actually worse.

Sunday Jam is a welcome surprise. I found myself getting up and making a cup of tea as I thought the CD had stalled and inane elevator music was filling the gap. No, Sunday Jam is that elevator music. The lack of an elevator in my house should have given it away earlier.

Spectacle is actually quite a pleasant funky Starsky and Hutch number with an echoing mouth harp and some quite smart bass. Despite my prejudice I've got to admit this one is just a little bit groovy.

Ping pong is half a minute a ping pong ball bouncing on a table tennis table, You might think that's a pile of BS but you have to reserve that accolade for the truly dreadful cringe worthy Can Be (Can-can) number. How could anyone think this was a good idea? And even if they did, surely, but surely someone must have realised how hideously irritating and Goon Bay Dance Band this is. The Birdy Song and Grandad sound like prog classics in comparison.

Send comments to obiter (BETA) | Report this review (#169483) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 01, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars When I listen to this album, I keep feeling that I should be seeing Mike Myers, as Dieter on Saturday Night, whining, "Now iss ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance."

This isn't a completely terrible Can album, it does have some listenable jams, but it in no way stands up to the better Can albums. Karoli, Schmidt and company are by no means virtuosos, but with the use of a studio full of effects, they come up with an album full of odd sounding dance tunes, but not terribly progressive ones.

Can? I'm not very certain they could at that point in their history.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221428) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Can's last album exists under three different titles. I've come to know it as Inner Space, but it is also listed as Can and it exists as a package where it is crammed onto one CD together with Out Of Reach. I've always loved this album so as a special tribute I'll post a review for this edition as well.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

Can went through many phases, this album is an example of their smoother and funkier style. It doesn't contain as much innovative aspects as the previous couple of albums but with 5 strong tracks amounting to 30 great minutes it's a solid 4 star again.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255268) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars I guess the iceberg credited with sinking the titanic is destined to have all subsequent achievements measured unfavourably against its coup de grace. CAN is highly regarded among the prog elite and far beyond prog - many artists of the 70s, 80s and beyond name CAN as a significant influence, and these include both other Krautrockers as well as those further afield. While I am only familiar with a small portion of their output, I actually find this late 70s effort to be superior to the contemporaneous work by many of the prog giants of the day.

The playing is inspired, at times virtuous, the beats are infectious, albeit a bit too regular for the average elite prog fan, and the musicality of the exercises shine through all the period trappings in "Safe" and "Sunday Jam". These showcase Michael Karoli's guitar work and Irmin Schmidt's keys. There's generally a lot going on here but it succeeds in being mellow and groovy at the same time. Then again, "Sodom" and "Aspectacled" might be what detractors were referring to, trying to hard to establish a cool vibe, but the latter does have a decent synth theme. Luckily "Can Can", another installment of the ethnological forgery series kicks off its heels and provides welcome levity and clarity.

As someone who is not a fan of Kraut rock per se, my opinion might have more or less value to you depending on where you sit, but it seems that what CAN can do at their erstwhile worst is a pretty decent kick at the can.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#290244) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I actually kinda like this album, as opposed to the last two which I kinda loathed. It's the same lineup as before, so there are certainly many instances of the same noodly boring stuff (or, in the case of "A Spectacle," ill-conceived and incompetent attempts at pop) that I didn't like from these guys before, but there are also tracks where the band's new jamming style seems to mesh. In particular, the opening two tracks, the longest on the album, each manage to keep my attention through almost their entire lengths, which definitely couldn't be said about "Animal Waves" from Saw Delight (which ran almost as long on its own as these two tracks put together). "All Gates Open" combines harmonica in the first part with some actual warmth in Schmidt's tone and note choices, and "Safe" kinda works as a 1979 update of the Flow Motion vibe. It's gritty, it's groovy, and it's sooooo German, (in a Kraftwerk way more than a typical Can way), and I like it, dagnabbit.

The next three tracks take the band into (by now) typical territory, which of course means that the rating inevitably goes down, though at least "Sodom" has somewhat of an air of morbidity. Just when I've resigned myself to the same ole head drooping, though, the album takes the ultimate left turn. Yes, I am speaking of the band's cover of "Can-Can," a track so wrong on every level that I nearly keel over laughing every time, and that's a good thing. I can see why many fans would hate it, of course; this is the kind of thing that Mannheim Steamroller spent their whole career doing, and the kind of thing people hate ELP for bringing about in the first place. But man, this isn't something the band did on a regular basis; this is a one-time joke from a band that never showed on-the-job humor, and it's an opportunity to make complete fools of themselves that the band takes full advantage of. Oh man, Karoli doesn't even try to show any "good taste" or restraint in his guitar sounds on this, a basically note-for-note cover of the original, and it's all for the better. The last track, which is basically variations on "Can-Can," is a hoot too.

A brief review of a largely insignificant album, yes, but an album I'm not sorry to have heard. The band really had no future at this point, and it was a good thing for them to break up, but there have been far worse farewell albums in history, and I'm glad to say that I really like more than twenty minutes of this.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#397742) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011

4 stars I find I am always a dissenter when it comes to this album. I own most of the early stuff, and though it is great in it's own way, alot of it was recorded on primitive equipment. And if you haven't figured it out by now, Can was basically an improvising band...what you heard on their albums was ... (read more)

Report this review (#159778) | Posted by ProggaWogga | Friday, January 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I remember hoping and praying for a return to form with this album, and you can tell that the band are trying. But without Czukay it's a hard slog. There's none of the inventive power of the early albums. Nothing here astonishes or delights. In parts the album is almost unlistenably bland. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#35309) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Can"