CAN

3. Sunday Jam (4:17)
4. Sodom (5:43)
5. Aspectacle (5:52)
Side 2
6. EFS No. 99 "Can Can" (3:16)
7. Ping Pong (0:25) Traditional
8. Can be (3:00)

This album was later released under the name "Inner Space" in 1985 under the Thunderbolt label and also included on the 1998 Thunderbolt release: "Inner Space / Out of Reach".

Search CAN Can lyrics

Search CAN Can tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitar, vocal, bass on "Can Be"
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboard, synthesizers
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Rosko Gee / bass
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Can Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute U.S. 2008
Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Mute U.S. 2008
Sam & Dave 45 "Still IsThe Night/Can't You Find Another US $8.99 Buy It Now 29m 46s
Myrna March"I Can't Say No&Undecided"Rare Jazz Pop Promo 45 Kapp 999 D J copy US $14.99 [0 bids]
30m 3s
CD: TIN CAN BUDDHA "Congress of Wonders" ~ Blues Rock Jam Band 2009 ~ RARE US $9.97 Buy It Now 30m 43s
The Mama's and the Papa's "If You Can Belive Your Eyes and Ears" 1966 Dunhill US $5.69 [0 bids]
30m 55s
PAPERCUTS can't go back LP 10 track (gong04) us gnomonsong 2007 US $19.96 Buy It Now 31m 3s
CHARLES TRENT teen 45 No Kiss / Can't Get Over It (In A Day) - NM US $20.00 Buy It Now 31m 28s
Geezinslaws 45 Help, I'm White And I Can't Get Down / You Belong To Me US $2.00 Buy It Now 31m 47s
Howard Jones - Things Can Only Get Better (Vinyl [LP] Record, 33 RPM, 12") NM US $19.99 [0 bids]
33m 17s
Randy Newman: You Can't Fool the Fat Man / Baltimore (edit) [Unplayed Copy] US $6.97 Buy It Now 33m 31s
JOHNNY RESTIVO teen 45 I Can't Take It / That's Good-That's Bad - NM US $8.00 Buy It Now 34m 49s
Walls Can Fall by George Jones (CD, Oct-1992, MCA (USA)) US $3.00 Buy It Now 35m 15s
Kingbees She Can't Make Up Her Mind PROMO 45 RPM Vinyl US $8.75 Buy It Now 35m 22s
CD: TIN CAN BUDDHA "Live at the Quilt Box" ~ Blues Rock Jam Band 2008 ~ RARE US $12.97 Buy It Now 35m 24s
Can't Be Wrong by Spin Doctors (Cassette, Jul-2001, Sony Music NEW Sealed US $5.99 Buy It Now 35m 27s
SHIRLEY BASSEY goldfinger / strange how love can be UNITED ARTISTS 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 35m 31s
ELVIS: "50,000 ELVIS FANS CAN'T BE WRONG" 33rpm RCA #AFM1-5197 MISP 96 US $12.99 [0 bids]
37m 8s
45 RPM CONWAY TWITTY ~ I Can't Help It / You Make It Hard US $0.99 [0 bids]
37m 33s
NORTHERN SOUL LOU COURTNEY SKATE NOW/I CAN ALWAYS TELL US $9.99 [0 bids]
37m 33s
FIVE KEYS: Can't Keep From Crying / Do I Need You (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $15.00 Buy It Now 38m 21s
KILLER BUNNIES-I CAN'T TAKE THE HEARTBREAK (4 CUT CD) US $7.99 Buy It Now 38m 30s
DRIVEN Jesus loves you more if you can drive Ltd CD Single Pop Indie US $5.99 Buy It Now 38m 41s
Dean Martin vintage 45 record "You can't love em all" "On an evening in Roma" US $12.00 Buy It Now 38m 48s
"you can make it...." b/w "tell me why" yvonne fair w/ james brown band US $8.99 [0 bids]
39m 5s
JOHN HAMMOND: Can't Beat The Kid LP (promo label & toc, sl cw, sm corner bends) US $15.00 Buy It Now 39m 5s
MINT- ORIG PRESSING NORTHERN SOUL 45~RUBY ANDREWS~EVERYBODY SAW YOU/CAN YOU~HEAR US $14.99 Buy It Now 40m 6s
All I Can Be by Collin Raye (Cassette, Aug-1991, Epic (USA)) NEW Sealed US $7.99 Buy It Now 40m 20s
Lionel Richie "Can't Slow Down" US $3.00 [0 bids]
40m 29s
THELMA CARPENTER (Bill / Can't Help Lovin' Dat) R&B - SOUL 78 RPM RECORD US $8.00 Buy It Now 40m 31s
SEALED SHRINK ORIG THE CASINOS THEN YOU CAN TELL ME GOODBYE FRATERNITY MONO US $19.99 [1 bids]
40m 53s
Can U Get Wit It remix timbaland and magoo featuring Devante Swing records 33rpm US $3.99 Buy It Now 41m 16s
78 rpm JONI JAMES This is my confession/How important can it be? MGM 11919-VG- US $0.99 [0 bids]
41m 34s
THE BEATLES CAN'T BUY ME LOVE / YOU CAN'T DO THAT 1964 CAPITOL 5150 7" 45 US $12.99 [0 bids]
41m 45s
STEELY DAN CAN'T BY A THRILL RARE 1973 MCA CORAL 37040 LABEL LP NM NICE! US $24.99 [0 bids]
41m 45s
The Bachelors 45 "Oh, Samuel Don't Die / No Arms Can Ever Hold You" US $5.99 Buy It Now 41m 55s
CAN - CAN Original Sounbdtrack Frank Sinatra, MacLaine Capitol W 1301 Mono LP US $7.00 Buy It Now 42m 7s
FIESTAS: I Can't Shake Your Love / Sometimes Storm 45 Soul US $25.00 Buy It Now 43m 7s
Twisted Sister-"You Can't stop rock n roll" (12" EP Atlantic 1983) US $7.99 [0 bids]
43m 28s
TRUE LIFE CONFESSIONS-DON'T CALL ME CHICKENHEAD/IF I CAN'T 7" PIC DISC RECORD US $2.99 [0 bids]
43m 48s
Can't Say True Grit Cd SKA US $3.15 Buy It Now 44m
BOSTON 45 W/PS: "Can'tcha Say" 1980 MCA vg++ US $7.85 Buy It Now 44m 8s
Conway Twitty- I Can't Stop Loving You / Decca - DL 7-5361 US $7.00 [0 bids]
44m 31s
MONTCLAIRS: Dreaming Out Of Season / I Just Can't Get Away (soul vinyl 45) US $18.00 Buy It Now 44m 51s
JAMES BROWN "CAN'T GET ANY HARDER" 1993 OOP 2 DISCS C+C REMIXES OOP 12" SINGLE US $1.49 [0 bids]
45m 3s
Stevie Nicks EP I Can't Wait original and Dub version~Sleeping Angel~ 2 Photos US $50.00 [0 bids]
45m 51s
Frank Zappa Lot: You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 1 & Thing Fis US $15.00 Buy It Now 46m 20s
WAR "Why Can't We Be Friends" United Artist UA-LA441-G-4201, Rare Northern Soul! US $19.99 [0 bids]
47m 37s
CROWDED HOUSE-SOMETHING SO STRONG/CAN'T CARRY ON/I WALK AWAY V-15292 NM/VG 12" US $8.98 Buy It Now 47m 43s
All That You Can't Leave Behind - U2 07536656 US $11.43 Buy It Now 49m
Tony Bennett The Good Life - The Very Thought Of You - Who Can I Turn To CD set US $11.88 [0 bids]
49m 36s
BEE GEES 7" 45 "NEW YORK MINING DISASTER 1941" #14 1967 / "I CAN'T SEE NOBODY NM US $1.99 [0 bids]
50m 33s
Sanchez ?- I Can't Wait 1991 REGGAE / LOVERS ROCK US $6.64 Buy It Now 50m 42s
DINO & GEE-CHORDS: Darling / Baby Can I Take You Home (vocal groups 45) US $25.00 Buy It Now 50m 56s
Columbia 10" 78/F.Carle/Marjorie Hughes/Unless It Can Happen With You/E!!! US $6.00 Buy It Now 51m 30s
KANO - Can't Hold Back - ITALO-DISCO 45 - Mirage Promo Copy US $11.99 Buy It Now 52m 2s
Eddie Money Can't Hold Back 1986 Cassette Take Me Home Tonight, I Wanna Go Back US $1.99 [0 bids]
52m 18s
OSCAR TONEY, JR.: You Can Lead Your Woman To The Altar / Unlucky Guy 45 Soul US $18.00 Buy It Now 52m 48s
ROSE COLORED GLASS: Can't Find The Time (soul vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 52m 57s
Anne Hendley Your Memory Can't Stay/I'm Not Gettin' Any 45 RPM STOP Records US $7.00 Buy It Now 54m 7s
ANNE MURRAY - Anyone Can Do The Heartbreak - NEAR MINT- PROMO with PIC. SLEEVE US $4.98 Buy It Now 54m 17s
Trash Can School I Love You Too Bad Sympathy For The Record Industry Alt 7" US $6.00 [0 bids]
54m 38s
The Chambers Brothers - I Can't Turn You Loose 45 Record And Picture Sleeve 1968 US $7.00 Buy It Now 54m 49s
BEE GEES: Life In A Tin Can LP (WLP-only Mono, embossed die-cut gatefold cover, US $100.00 Buy It Now 55m 34s
SAM COOKE - SOMEBODY HAVE MERCY / NOTHING CAN CHANGE THIS LOVE - R US $6.00 Buy It Now 56m 29s
The Tav & Gabby Show "I Can Help" Sympathy For The Record Industry Alt 7" Single US $6.00 [0 bids]
57m 21s
You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore:v2 - Zappa,Frank US $16.86 Buy It Now 57m 51s
Tin Can Trust by Los Lobos (Digital DownLoad, Aug-2010, Shout! Records) US $4.50 [0 bids]
58m 2s
Trash Can School "Horses" Sympathy For The Record Industry Alt Rock 7" Single US $6.00 [0 bids]
59m 29s
ELTON JOHN "MAMA CAN'T BUY YOU LOVE / THREE WAY LOVE AFFAIR" 45 US $2.22 Buy It Now 1h
Steve Wariner 45 You Can Dream of Me PICTURE SLEEVE vinyl 7" record US $3.50 Buy It Now 1h
Dirty Looks Can't Take My Eyes Off of You US $8.00 [0 bids]
1h
45 w/PS The Dave Clark Five: Catch Us If You Can (b/w On The Move); Orig Epic M- US $19.99 [0 bids]
1h
Can We Talk [CD 1], Code Red, Good Single US $4.53 Buy It Now 1h
The WHO 45, I Can't Explain / Bald Headed Woman, Decca 31725, EX! US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
PRINCE batman METAL CASE can tin UK England Import Export CD #925978-2 BOOKLET US $24.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
BRITAIN CAN TAKE IT on WORLD RECORDS SH 213-VG US $5.00 [0 bids]
R.B. HUDMON: How Can I Be A Witness / Mono (soul 45) US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Can'tneverdidnothin' [PA] by Nikka Costa (CD, May-2005, Virgin) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
THE JACKSONS - Can You Feel It - Rare 1981 UK Epic vinyl 7" US $16.63 Buy It Now 1h 3m
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window? LIMITED ED US $39.99 [0 bids]
Leo Sayer "I Can't Stop Loving You (Though I Try) Oz 7" US $5.59 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Don Henley - I Can't Stand Still US $7.00 [0 bids]
Leo Sayer "More Than I Can Say" Terrific Oz 7" US $5.59 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Spiritchaser by Dead Can Dance (CD, Jun-1996, 4AD (USA)) US $3.97 Buy It Now 1h 5m
IVORY JOE HUNTER Since I Met You Baby/ You Can't Stop This Rocking And Rolling US $7.95 [0 bids]
Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? by The Cranberries (CD,... US $1.00 [0 bids]
KENNY YOUNG - Share 105 (light blue)- Ain't It Funny What Love Can Do - NORTHERN US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
SHARON REDD, ULA HEDWIG, CHARLOTTE CROSSLEY: Can't Dance / Now (soul 12) US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
JACK GARNER 45 - LITTLE GIRL - IF I CAN STAY AWAY LONG ENOUGH - WORLD US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
ARTHUR PRYSOCK----WHO CAN I TURN TO (Male Artists) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 8m
CD "And Your Bird Can Sing: 36 Classic Interpretations of Beatles" 2CD IMPORT US $0.99 [0 bids]
You Can Depend On Me - Ruby Braff US $3.99 [0 bids]
JOHNNY TILLOTSON---I CAN'T HELP IT (Teens) US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Van Halen - "Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do" CD Single RARE!! US $13.49 Buy It Now 1h 9m
BOB CARRIE-CAN I FIND FORGIVENESS/ANGELS ARE SINGING COUNTRY MUSIC 45 WIZARD VG+ US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
78 rhythm & Blues RIFF RUFFIN All The Way/Can't Get A Thrill OLD TOWN 1054 Hear US $9.99 [0 bids]
Suicide Silence - You Can't Stop Me [ CD/DVD, Nuclear Blast, NEW ] US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
VG++ ANNE MURRAY IF A HEART MUST BE BROKEN/IT'S ALL I CAN DO 1981 45 RPM CAPITOL US $2.98 Buy It Now 1h 12m
JOHNNY DEE FURY: Can't Stop the Bop/ Wildcat RARE CANADIAN ROCKABILLY 45 1982 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
T.G. Sheppard When Can We Do This Again/Same(MONO Promo) 45 RPM Warner Bros VG+ US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
FARLEY JACKMASTER FUNK / HOUSEMASTER- Love Can't Turn Around - CHICAGO HOUSE 12" US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Can ratings distribution

CAN Can reviews

Review by soundsweird
2 stars I guess the inspiration had run out by this time. "Saw Delight" was pretty good, even with the lower-profile contributions of Holger Czukay, but this album finds the group doing a contractual-obligation snoozer. It's been some time since I sold this CD, so it's hard to give a precise post-mortem. I guess the best advice I can give is to stay away from anything after "Saw Delight".

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#23311) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Review by obiter
1 stars Time to review a couple of my least favourite albums ... it could get ugly (well at least it's not Amon Dull)

Cleverly Can lull you into a false sense of security at the opening. All Gates Open is actually quite passable. Not a lot happens, passable in this context is really a euphemism for not mind-numbingly awful. I can't help but think of waling in on a friends' we sister who was playing the family electric organ with a frighteningly annoying drum rhythm playing, and plonking a few keys with a disproportionate sense of glee. Safe is actually worse.

Sunday Jam is a welcome surprise. I found myself getting up and making a cup of tea as I thought the CD had stalled and inane elevator music was filling the gap. No, Sunday Jam is that elevator music. The lack of an elevator in my house should have given it away earlier.

Spectacle is actually quite a pleasant funky Starsky and Hutch number with an echoing mouth harp and some quite smart bass. Despite my prejudice I've got to admit this one is just a little bit groovy.

Ping pong is half a minute a ping pong ball bouncing on a table tennis table, You might think that's a pile of BS but you have to reserve that accolade for the truly dreadful cringe worthy Can Be (Can-can) number. How could anyone think this was a good idea? And even if they did, surely, but surely someone must have realised how hideously irritating and Goon Bay Dance Band this is. The Birdy Song and Grandad sound like prog classics in comparison.

Send comments to obiter (BETA) | Report this review (#169483) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 01, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars When I listen to this album, I keep feeling that I should be seeing Mike Myers, as Dieter on Saturday Night, whining, "Now iss ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance."

This isn't a completely terrible Can album, it does have some listenable jams, but it in no way stands up to the better Can albums. Karoli, Schmidt and company are by no means virtuosos, but with the use of a studio full of effects, they come up with an album full of odd sounding dance tunes, but not terribly progressive ones.

Can? I'm not very certain they could at that point in their history.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221428) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Can's last album exists under three different titles. I've come to know it as Inner Space, but it is also listed as Can and it exists as a package where it is crammed onto one CD together with Out Of Reach. I've always loved this album so as a special tribute I'll post a review for this edition as well.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

Can went through many phases, this album is an example of their smoother and funkier style. It doesn't contain as much innovative aspects as the previous couple of albums but with 5 strong tracks amounting to 30 great minutes it's a solid 4 star again.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255268) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars I guess the iceberg credited with sinking the titanic is destined to have all subsequent achievements measured unfavourably against its coup de grace. CAN is highly regarded among the prog elite and far beyond prog - many artists of the 70s, 80s and beyond name CAN as a significant influence, and these include both other Krautrockers as well as those further afield. While I am only familiar with a small portion of their output, I actually find this late 70s effort to be superior to the contemporaneous work by many of the prog giants of the day.

The playing is inspired, at times virtuous, the beats are infectious, albeit a bit too regular for the average elite prog fan, and the musicality of the exercises shine through all the period trappings in "Safe" and "Sunday Jam". These showcase Michael Karoli's guitar work and Irmin Schmidt's keys. There's generally a lot going on here but it succeeds in being mellow and groovy at the same time. Then again, "Sodom" and "Aspectacled" might be what detractors were referring to, trying to hard to establish a cool vibe, but the latter does have a decent synth theme. Luckily "Can Can", another installment of the ethnological forgery series kicks off its heels and provides welcome levity and clarity.

As someone who is not a fan of Kraut rock per se, my opinion might have more or less value to you depending on where you sit, but it seems that what CAN can do at their erstwhile worst is a pretty decent kick at the can.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#290244) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I actually kinda like this album, as opposed to the last two which I kinda loathed. It's the same lineup as before, so there are certainly many instances of the same noodly boring stuff (or, in the case of "A Spectacle," ill-conceived and incompetent attempts at pop) that I didn't like from these guys before, but there are also tracks where the band's new jamming style seems to mesh. In particular, the opening two tracks, the longest on the album, each manage to keep my attention through almost their entire lengths, which definitely couldn't be said about "Animal Waves" from Saw Delight (which ran almost as long on its own as these two tracks put together). "All Gates Open" combines harmonica in the first part with some actual warmth in Schmidt's tone and note choices, and "Safe" kinda works as a 1979 update of the Flow Motion vibe. It's gritty, it's groovy, and it's sooooo German, (in a Kraftwerk way more than a typical Can way), and I like it, dagnabbit.

The next three tracks take the band into (by now) typical territory, which of course means that the rating inevitably goes down, though at least "Sodom" has somewhat of an air of morbidity. Just when I've resigned myself to the same ole head drooping, though, the album takes the ultimate left turn. Yes, I am speaking of the band's cover of "Can-Can," a track so wrong on every level that I nearly keel over laughing every time, and that's a good thing. I can see why many fans would hate it, of course; this is the kind of thing that Mannheim Steamroller spent their whole career doing, and the kind of thing people hate ELP for bringing about in the first place. But man, this isn't something the band did on a regular basis; this is a one-time joke from a band that never showed on-the-job humor, and it's an opportunity to make complete fools of themselves that the band takes full advantage of. Oh man, Karoli doesn't even try to show any "good taste" or restraint in his guitar sounds on this, a basically note-for-note cover of the original, and it's all for the better. The last track, which is basically variations on "Can-Can," is a hoot too.

A brief review of a largely insignificant album, yes, but an album I'm not sorry to have heard. The band really had no future at this point, and it was a good thing for them to break up, but there have been far worse farewell albums in history, and I'm glad to say that I really like more than twenty minutes of this.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#397742) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011

4 stars I find I am always a dissenter when it comes to this album. I own most of the early stuff, and though it is great in it's own way, alot of it was recorded on primitive equipment. And if you haven't figured it out by now, Can was basically an improvising band...what you heard on their albums was ... (read more)

Report this review (#159778) | Posted by ProggaWogga | Friday, January 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I remember hoping and praying for a return to form with this album, and you can tell that the band are trying. But without Czukay it's a hard slog. There's none of the inventive power of the early albums. Nothing here astonishes or delights. In parts the album is almost unlistenably bland. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#35309) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Can"