CAN

3. Sunday Jam (4:17)
4. Sodom (5:43)
5. Aspectacle (5:52)
Side 2
6. EFS No. 99 "Can Can" (3:16)
7. Ping Pong (0:25) Traditional
8. Can be (3:00)

This album was later released under the name "Inner Space" in 1985 under the Thunderbolt label and also included on the 1998 Thunderbolt release: "Inner Space / Out of Reach".

Search CAN Can lyrics

Search CAN Can tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitar, vocal, bass on "Can Be"
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboard, synthesizers
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Rosko Gee / bass
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Can Music

CanCan
Multiple Formats · Box set
Mute (Artist Intelligence) 2003
DVD$32.54

Tony Pastor 'The French Can-Can Polka / My Rosa' PROMO 78 USD $4.95 Buy It Now
NEW SEALED - CAN-CAN - Original Soundtrack - Film Music CD Album - Can Can USD $3.23 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Peter Jay & The Jaywalkers Can-Can '62 7" vinyl single record UK 45-F11531 USD $14.22 Buy It Now 2h 51m
BAD MANNERS " CAN CAN / ARMCHAIR DISCO " 7" SINGLE 1981 VG+ USD $3.23 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Nelson Riddle Can-Can vinyl LP album record UK CAPS2400161 CAPITOL 1984 USD $24.61 Buy It Now 3h 57m
CAN - CAN-CAN USD $4.55 Buy It Now 4h 30m
Can Can & Anything Goes (ita) 8436542015592 by Benny Carter, CD, BRAND NEW USD $14.42 Buy It Now 5h 14m
Royal Philharmonic O... Hooked On A Can Can 12" record (Maxi) UK USD $15.52 Buy It Now 5h 19m
MIMI BENZELL & FELIX KNIGHT-Can Can/Kiss Me Kate (1965) ALLEGRO U.K. Import LP USD $7.11 Buy It Now 5h 33m
CAN CAN COLE PORTER MONO SOUNDTRACK SINATRA CHEVALIER JOURDAN 1960 UK CAPITOL LP USD $19.47 Buy It Now 6h 24m
The Broadway Musicals Series - Can~Can USD $1.29 Buy It Now 8h 16m
SKANDI GIRLS Do The Can Can CD 2 Tracks Inc Santa Xmas Mix USD $3.62 Buy It Now 8h 37m
HINTERLANDT zu CAN CAN HEADS tenzenmen CD diy valse triste locust black engine USD $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 36m
CAN CAN SOUNDTRACK, SINATRA MACLAINE - LP SW1301 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 9h 47m
Various Artists : Can-Can and Other Dances from the Opera CD (1995) USD $3.99 Buy It Now 13h 12m
LIO - Can Can FRANCE Original CD 1988 Polydor 837355-2 USD $7.99 Buy It Now 15h 9m
#BAD MANNERS CAN CAN / ARMCHAIR DISCO 1981 MAGNET VINYL EX USD $1.95 [0 bids]
Can Can Original Broadway Cast, ,Very Good, vinyl with cover art- VG/VG-aged co USD $13.48 Buy It Now 18h 55m
Bad Manners-Can Can CD with DVD NEW USD $13.75 Buy It Now 19h 12m
CAN - Can (Inner Space) - LP Record NEW SEALED 180g +CD USD $25.96 Buy It Now 19h 25m
JOHNNY CHESTER WITH THE THUNDERBIRDS CAN CAN LADIES 4 TRACK EP 7" SINGLE USD $12.97 Buy It Now 19h 47m
Original Soundtrack Can-Can - Sealed Spanish vinyl LP album record 5 USD $18.12 Buy It Now 19h 56m
The THREE SUNS - The French Can-Can Polka / Sugar RCA VICTOR 20-3679 - 78rpm USD $8.95 Buy It Now 20h 21m
Can-Can & Other Dances From Th - Can-Can & Other Dances From [CD New] USD $8.34 Buy It Now 20h 51m
Can Can - Original Sound Track - SW 1301 USD $3.20 Buy It Now 21h 20m
Can-Can: Soundtrack - OST - LP - FRANK SINATRA USD $4.55 Buy It Now 22h 56m
Can Can Soundtrack Vinyl Record LP - Cole Porter - High Fidelity W 1301 USD $4.17 Buy It Now 1 day
Can, Can, Vinyl, 0724596931912 * NEW * USD $26.21 Buy It Now 1 day
Bad Manners - Can Can (7" single) MAG 190 USD $2.53 Buy It Now 1 day
BAD MANNERS - Can Can - Excellent Condition 7" Single USD $5.18 Buy It Now 1 day
Offenbach: Can Can/Gaité Parisienne/Overtures CD NEW USD $10.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Can-Can - An Offenbach Festival - Arthur Fiedler, Boston Pops (RCA AGL1-1963) USD $1.19 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN Can LP NEW VINYL Spoon 180g Remastered Traffic USD $16.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Jive Bunny Can Can You Party 12" Single - EX USD $2.19 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN-CAN - Original Soundtrack - Capitol W1301 -1960 -Sinatra, MacLaine,Chevalier USD $3.90 [0 bids]
BILLY WALKER GETTIN' BY THE BEST I CAN-CAN I JUST CALL YOU NOW AND THEN 45 NM USD $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Jose Serebrier Bizet Carmen Offenbach Can Can Tioch Digital SEALED USD $7.46 Buy It Now 1 day
The Pointer Sisters - Yes We Can Can/Jada BLUE THUMB 45 RPM (EX) USD $0.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Can-Can Original Soundtrack Recording Capitol SW-1301 VG+ USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Joe Loco Quintet-"The Song from Moulin Rouge/Can Can Mambo" LATIN TICO 78 HEAR! USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN-CAN / CALL ME MADAM Soundtrack LP Cole Porter / Irving Berlin Vinyl LP USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TREACHEROUS THREE - YES WE CAN CAN ( 2 MIXES ) - UK 12" 1982 - SUGARHILL LABEL USD $1.30 [0 bids]
Bad Manners Can Can - P/S 7" vinyl single record UK MAG190 MAGNET 1981 USD $12.91 Buy It Now 1 day
Jive Bunny 7" vinyl single record Can Can You Party UK MFD007 MUSIC FACTORY USD $12.91 Buy It Now 1 day
Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers - Can Can You Party / The Can Can (7" Vinyl), Ji USD $84.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Old 45 RPM Record - London 30069 - Billy Cotton - French Can-Can Polka / Oh Nich USD $16.00 Buy It Now 1 day
V/A - Cole Porter's Can-Can: Original Soundtrack Album (LP) (EX-/VG) USD $6.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Music of Gaite Parisienne The Can Can - Royale 18175 10" Long Play ID:2144 USD $9.75 Buy It Now 1 day
THE POINTER SISTERS self-titled BLUE THUMB LP '73 OG Yes We Can Can BOP R USD $1.00 [0 bids]
USD $3.00 Buy It Now
Oklahoma!/Can Can by Nelson Riddle CD USD $5.59 Buy It Now 2 days
Original Soundtrack : CAN CAN : Vinyl Album : Capitol Records : W 1301 USD $8.82 Buy It Now 2 days
Can ?- Can Japan Mini LP Sleeve CD PCD-22211 NEW USD $49.95 Buy It Now 2 days
VARIOUS - Can-Can And Other Dances From The... CD * BRAND NEW : STILL SEALED * USD $16.49 Buy It Now 2 days
VARIOUS - Can-Can And Other Dances From The... CD ** Excellent Condition ** USD $9.25 Buy It Now 2 days
JIVE BUNNY & THE MASTERMIXERS Can Can You Party 12" early-90's German import USD $2.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Mimi Benzell & Felix Knight - Can can 7" vinyl USD $0.06 [0 bids]
Record Lp 33 1/2 MK 3080 Spin o rama Selections from cole porter CAN CAN Musical USD $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN CAN-Cole Porters Show-Original film soundtrack-LP USD $2.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Cole Porter's Can Can Original Soundtrack Album Vinyl LP Sinatra MacLane MONO EX USD $3.50 [0 bids]
Hear! Funk 45 Little Dion - Yes We Can-Can / Same On Capitol USD $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Can-Can Soundtrack Frank Sinatra, Shirley MacLaine LP USD $6.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Criminal Mindz prod. "Can can" TECHNO ELECTRONIC SINGLE SEALED NEW USD $6.26 Buy It Now 2 days
Can Can Orignal Soundtrack USD $6.00 Buy It Now 2 days
COLE PORTER - Rare And Unreleased Songs From Can-Can... CD NEW/ STILL SEALED USD $61.00 Buy It Now 2 days
COLE PORTER - Rare And Unreleased Songs From Can-Can... CD * Like New / Mint * USD $24.75 Buy It Now 2 days
THE THREE SUNS french can can polka - sugar blues 7" VG+ RCA 47 3202 Vinyl USD $6.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Bad Manners - Can Can (Magnet 1981) 7" Single USD $3.25 Buy It Now 2 days
GLENN HART & BARBARA NEWCOMB cole porter can can LP Sealed CLP 5148 Crown 60's USD $45.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Guillermo Alvarez y su comoda " Las tandas del can can" LP VG / GATEFOLD USD $4.76 Buy It Now 2 days
Ethel Smith - 78rpm single 10-inch - DECCA #24886 The French Can-Can Polka USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
HOLIDAY IN PARIS - THE PARIS LEFT BANK MUSICIANS LP VINYL RECORD CAN CAN, LA MER USD $6.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Sharkey & Dee - Can, Can You Do It - Dreamin USD $1.82 [0 bids]
OST/SOUNDTRACK - CAN CAN CD NEW+ FRANK SINATRA/CHORUS/LOUIS JORDAN/ USD $13.11 Buy It Now 2 days
COSMOS Can Can Can! LP Vinyl JAPAN CANYON C25R0092 W/ OBI KEIKO PROJECT USD $26.99 Buy It Now 2 days
422 057-1 Offenbach Can Can Overtutres & Ballets Philharmonia Antonio De Almeida USD $12.98 Buy It Now 2 days
STAINLESS STEAL Can-can / It All Comes Down To Love 45 USD $7.61 Buy It Now 2 days
Cole Porter's Can Can & Kiss Me Kate ~ Allegro (1965) ~ Vintage Vinyl USD $4.55 Buy It Now 2 days
Wedding In Paris/Can-Can - London Cast (CD Used Very Good) USD $12.77 Buy It Now 2 days
Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers - Can Can You Party - 7" PS 1990 USD $1.29 [0 bids]
JACK COSTANZO AFRO CUBAN CAN CAN LATIN VERSION OF COLE PORTER STEREO LP USD $35.00 Buy It Now 2 days
LOUIS CLARK & THE ROYAL PHIL ORCHESTRA - Hooked on a can can - 1981 7" Single USD $7.78 Buy It Now 2 days
CD Can-Can / Cole Porter / Movie Soundtrack / OST / IMPORT USD $8.68 Buy It Now 2 days
Cole Porter's Can-Can Original Broadway Cast Musical Soundtrack LP USD $3.96 Buy It Now 2 days
Cole Porter's Can-Can LP Original Broadway Cast Capitol USD $10.00 [0 bids]
CD Can Can Film Musicals Collection New and sealed USD $1.95 [0 bids]
78rpm ETHEL SMITH galloping comedians / french can-can polka USD $19.48 Buy It Now 3 days
45RPM The Comedians Wind Up Toys/ Can Can/Coquettes 1029EL USD $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
PERUCHIN Y SUS BIG LEAGUERS " CAN CAN CHA " ON ORIG. VELVET RECORDS USD $19.99 [1 bids]
PETER JAY AND THE JAYWALKERS ~ CAN-CAN '62 ~ 1962 ~ DECCA ~ U.K. 45 USD $0.64 [0 bids]
Yes We Can Can:best of the Blue Thumb - Sisters Pointer New & Sealed Compact Dis USD $12.75 Buy It Now 3 days
Can Can - Movie Soundtrack - Sinatra - W1301 - LP Vinyl Record USD $13.23 Buy It Now 3 days
Alyson Williams - Yes We Can Can (LISTEN) WL Promo USD $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
CAPITOL Cole Porter CAN-CAN Frank Sinata & Shirley MacLaine W-1301 USD $6.65 Buy It Now 3 days
Can Can-mono Ost Lp-capitol-452 Cole Porter Lilo USD $2.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LOUIS CLARK+ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA-HOOKED ON A CAN CAN-HOOKED ON ROMANCE USD $0.13 [0 bids]
Cole Porter's Can-Can Original Soundtrack Sinatra LP VG+ Capitol W1301 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Pointer Sisters FRA 7" w pic/slv "Yes We Can Can" USD $7.50 [0 bids]
Bad Manners Can Can - 7 inch single 1981 vgc- ska-2tone-skinhead USD $3.88 [0 bids]
Bad Manners - Can Can 7" 45RPM Pic Sleeve USD $1.29 [0 bids]
Various Artists Great Can Can Favorites CD USD $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Can ratings distribution

CAN Can reviews

Review by soundsweird
2 stars I guess the inspiration had run out by this time. "Saw Delight" was pretty good, even with the lower-profile contributions of Holger Czukay, but this album finds the group doing a contractual-obligation snoozer. It's been some time since I sold this CD, so it's hard to give a precise post-mortem. I guess the best advice I can give is to stay away from anything after "Saw Delight".
Review by obiter
1 stars Time to review a couple of my least favourite albums ... it could get ugly (well at least it's not Amon Dull)

Cleverly Can lull you into a false sense of security at the opening. All Gates Open is actually quite passable. Not a lot happens, passable in this context is really a euphemism for not mind-numbingly awful. I can't help but think of waling in on a friends' we sister who was playing the family electric organ with a frighteningly annoying drum rhythm playing, and plonking a few keys with a disproportionate sense of glee. Safe is actually worse.

Sunday Jam is a welcome surprise. I found myself getting up and making a cup of tea as I thought the CD had stalled and inane elevator music was filling the gap. No, Sunday Jam is that elevator music. The lack of an elevator in my house should have given it away earlier.

Spectacle is actually quite a pleasant funky Starsky and Hutch number with an echoing mouth harp and some quite smart bass. Despite my prejudice I've got to admit this one is just a little bit groovy.

Ping pong is half a minute a ping pong ball bouncing on a table tennis table, You might think that's a pile of BS but you have to reserve that accolade for the truly dreadful cringe worthy Can Be (Can-can) number. How could anyone think this was a good idea? And even if they did, surely, but surely someone must have realised how hideously irritating and Goon Bay Dance Band this is. The Birdy Song and Grandad sound like prog classics in comparison.

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
2 stars When I listen to this album, I keep feeling that I should be seeing Mike Myers, as Dieter on Saturday Night, whining, "Now iss ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance."

This isn't a completely terrible Can album, it does have some listenable jams, but it in no way stands up to the better Can albums. Karoli, Schmidt and company are by no means virtuosos, but with the use of a studio full of effects, they come up with an album full of odd sounding dance tunes, but not terribly progressive ones.

Can? I'm not very certain they could at that point in their history.

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
Bonnek avatar
4 stars Can's last album exists under three different titles. I've come to know it as Inner Space, but it is also listed as Can and it exists as a package where it is crammed onto one CD together with Out Of Reach. I've always loved this album so as a special tribute I'll post a review for this edition as well.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

Can went through many phases, this album is an example of their smoother and funkier style. It doesn't contain as much innovative aspects as the previous couple of albums but with 5 strong tracks amounting to 30 great minutes it's a solid 4 star again.

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars I guess the iceberg credited with sinking the titanic is destined to have all subsequent achievements measured unfavourably against its coup de grace. CAN is highly regarded among the prog elite and far beyond prog - many artists of the 1970s, 1980s and beyond name CAN as a significant influence, and these include both other Krautrockers as well as those further afield. While I am only familiar with a small portion of their output, I actually find this late 1970s effort to be superior to the contemporaneous work by many of the prog giants of the day.

The playing is inspired, at times virtuous, the beats are infectious, albeit a bit too regular for the average elite prog fan, and the musicality of the exercises shine through all the period trappings in "Safe" and "Sunday Jam". These showcase Michael Karoli's guitar work and Irmin Schmidt's keys. There's generally a lot going on here but it succeeds in being mellow and groovy at the same time. Then again, "Sodom" and "Aspectacled" might be what detractors were referring to, trying too hard to establish a cool vibe, but the latter does have a decent synth theme. Luckily "Can Can", another installment of the ethnological forgery series kicks off its heels and provides welcome levity and clarity.

As someone who is not a fan of Kraut rock per se, my opinion might have more or less value to you depending on where you sit, but it seems that what CAN can do at their erstwhile worst is a pretty decent kick at the can.

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I actually kinda like this album, as opposed to the last two which I kinda loathed. It's the same lineup as before, so there are certainly many instances of the same noodly boring stuff (or, in the case of "A Spectacle," ill-conceived and incompetent attempts at pop) that I didn't like from these guys before, but there are also tracks where the band's new jamming style seems to mesh. In particular, the opening two tracks, the longest on the album, each manage to keep my attention through almost their entire lengths, which definitely couldn't be said about "Animal Waves" from Saw Delight (which ran almost as long on its own as these two tracks put together). "All Gates Open" combines harmonica in the first part with some actual warmth in Schmidt's tone and note choices, and "Safe" kinda works as a 1979 update of the Flow Motion vibe. It's gritty, it's groovy, and it's sooooo German, (in a Kraftwerk way more than a typical Can way), and I like it, dagnabbit.

The next three tracks take the band into (by now) typical territory, which of course means that the rating inevitably goes down, though at least "Sodom" has somewhat of an air of morbidity. Just when I've resigned myself to the same ole head drooping, though, the album takes the ultimate left turn. Yes, I am speaking of the band's cover of "Can-Can," a track so wrong on every level that I nearly keel over laughing every time, and that's a good thing. I can see why many fans would hate it, of course; this is the kind of thing that Mannheim Steamroller spent their whole career doing, and the kind of thing people hate ELP for bringing about in the first place. But man, this isn't something the band did on a regular basis; this is a one-time joke from a band that never showed on-the-job humor, and it's an opportunity to make complete fools of themselves that the band takes full advantage of. Oh man, Karoli doesn't even try to show any "good taste" or restraint in his guitar sounds on this, a basically note-for-note cover of the original, and it's all for the better. The last track, which is basically variations on "Can-Can," is a hoot too.

A brief review of a largely insignificant album, yes, but an album I'm not sorry to have heard. The band really had no future at this point, and it was a good thing for them to break up, but there have been far worse farewell albums in history, and I'm glad to say that I really like more than twenty minutes of this.

4 stars I find I am always a dissenter when it comes to this album. I own most of the early stuff, and though it is great in it's own way, alot of it was recorded on primitive equipment. And if you haven't figured it out by now, Can was basically an improvising band...what you heard on their albums was ... (read more)

Report this review (#159778) | Posted by ProggaWogga | Friday, January 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I remember hoping and praying for a return to form with this album, and you can tell that the band are trying. But without Czukay it's a hard slog. There's none of the inventive power of the early albums. Nothing here astonishes or delights. In parts the album is almost unlistenably bland. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#35309) | Posted by | Sunday, June 5, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Can"