Can

3. Sunday Jam (4:17)
4. Sodom (5:43)
5. Aspectacle (5:52)
Side 2
6. EFS No. 99 "Can Can" (3:16)
7. Ping Pong (0:25) Traditional
8. Can be (3:00)

This album was later released under the name "Inner Space" in 1985 under the Thunderbolt label and also included on the 1998 Thunderbolt release: "Inner Space / Out of Reach".

Search CAN Can lyrics

Search CAN Can tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitar, vocal, bass on "Can Be"
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboard, synthesizers
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Rosko Gee / bass
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Can Music

CanCan
Hybrid SACD - DSD · Remastered
Mute (Artist Intelligence) 2006
BOSTON POPS medley from WONDERFUL TOWN/CAN CAN rca 45 USD $3.49 Buy It Now 40m
RUSSELL RECORDS 33-79 galop from orpheus / same CAN CAN 33 USD $3.49 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Bernard Peiffer-Plays Cole Porter's Can-Can-Laurie 1008-NICE USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Bad Manners "Can Can" Excellent Oz 7" USD $7.49 Buy It Now 2h 10m
PULSE Can can girl Burrit Bradley heavy psych promo USD $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Can-Can and Other Dances from the Opera, New Music USD $5.91 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Nelson Riddle Can Can LP Capitol Records 1536 VG Cheesecake Soundtrack USD $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 31m
CAN-CAN ORIGINAL BROADWAY CAST CASSETTE, GREAT MUSIC USD $0.99 Buy It Now 6h 27m
Cole Porter's - Can Can Bernard Peiffer Lp (VG) 12" USD $31.96 Buy It Now 6h 41m
Cole Porter's Can-Can LP (ACP) 12" USD $2.76 Buy It Now 7h 6m
PETER JAY & THE JAYWALKRS 7" VINYL C/S CAN-CAN '62 DECCA F 11531 1962 USD $4.43 Buy It Now 10h 12m
CAN - CAN (REMASTERED) CD 8 TRACKS ROCK/KRAUTROCK NEW+ USD $20.34 Buy It Now 12h 37m
THE BEST OF CAN-CAN CAMEO RECORDS 176 VG/VG+ W/ PICTURE SLEEVE WHITE LABEL USD $4.99 Buy It Now 18h 41m
Can-can and Other Dances from the Opera CD NEW USD $12.31 Buy It Now 19h 19m
Can - Can - LP - Picture Disc - LR353 - Mint USD $23.15 Buy It Now 20h 15m
V/A - Film Musicals: Can-Can (UK 16 Trk CD Album) (Sld) USD $6.80 Buy It Now 20h 39m
LOU PREAGER - 50's Sheet Music - THE FRENCH CAN-CAN POLKA - By J.Offenbach USD $13.63 Buy It Now 21h 9m
CAN-CAN - Original Soundtrack - Capitol W1301 -1960 -Sinatra, MacLaine,Chevalier USD $2.03 [0 bids]
Pointer Sisters - Yes We Can Can / Jada 45 Blue Thumb VG 1973 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 22h 39m
Bad Manners Can Can UK 45 7" single +Picture Sleeve +Armchair Disco USD $0.67 [0 bids]
Ban Manners - Can Can / Armchair Disco, Magnet MAG-190 Ex+ Condition USD $5.44 Buy It Now 1 day
BENNY CARTER: CAN-CAN & ANYTHING GOES/ASPECTS CD USD $4.07 [0 bids]
RARE LP RECORD ORIGINAL CAST COLLECTION #43 CAN-CAN, CANTERBURY TALES, CANDIDE USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN-CAN Soundtrack Cole Porter (Cassette) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN-CAN - Ganz Paris trumt von der USD $19.25 Buy It Now 1 day
C.D.MUSIC A451 CAN-CAN MEXICAN HAYRIDE & THE PIRATE COLE PORTER CD USD $7.34 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN-CAN-BEST OF OFFENBACH - GEDDA ROTHENBERGER CD 21 TRACKS POPULAR CLASSIC NEW+ USD $11.72 Buy It Now 1 day
Arthur Fiedler - Medleys From Can Can & Wonderful Town (7" RCA ERA-131) VG USD $1.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TAPE REEL TO REEL 7 1/2 IPS "KISMET AND CAN-CAN LONDON THEATER RICHMOND STEREO USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LIO - Can Can FRANCE Original CD 1988 Polydor 837355-2 USD $8.96 Buy It Now 1 day
C.D.MUSIC B72 CAN CAN AND OTHER DANCES FROM THE OPERA CD USD $7.12 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN-CAN Capitol SM 1301 vinyl LP near mint OST Frank Sinatra Shirley MacLaine USD $13.56 Buy It Now 1 day
BOSTON POPS ORCHESTRA - CAN-CAN - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD 1957 USD $7.41 Buy It Now 1 day
FRANK SINATRA lp CAN CAN chile ID# 48835 SHIRLEY MAC LAINE- LOUIS JOURDAN CAPITO USD $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Can-Can - An Offenbach Festival - Arthur Fiedler, Boston Pops (RCA AGL1-1963) USD $0.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Can-Can Original Soundtrack USA vinyl LP album record SM-1301 CAPITOL 1970 USD $19.01 Buy It Now 1 day
Barry De Vorzon 45 Love You, Baby/The Can-Can Ladies Columbia 441663 Teen Rocker USD $5.32 Buy It Now 1 day
BAD MANNERS 7" 45" CAN CAN PS RARE PICTURE SLEEVE SKA USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
S/TRACK.COLE PORTER'S CAN-CAN."ORIG LONDON CAST".UK ORIG 10" LP+INN/SL.EX/EX USD $27.18 Buy It Now 2 days
7" Vinyl Record, Bad Manners, Can Can / Armchair Disco, mag190 USD $2.71 Buy It Now 2 days
Legendary Can - Can (CD Used Very Good) USD $7.07 Buy It Now 2 days
Cole Porter's Can Can & Kiss Me Kate ~ Allegro (1965) ~ Vintage Vinyl USD $4.77 Buy It Now 2 days
Vintage Frank Sinatra LP Vinyl Record Lot of 4 Can Can Come Dance W/ me 2 Shrink USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Not Found - can can film musicals collection, Not Found, New CD USD $3.39 Buy It Now 2 days
Stainless Steal "Can-Can" Rare Oz 7" USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
C'EST MAGNIFIQUE Cole Porter SHEET MUSIC Australia CAN-CAN USD $7.46 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN-CAN Cole Porter LP TERRY GIBBS & His Quintet STEREO Verve Deep Groove Jazz USD $19.50 Buy It Now 2 days
The Three Suns "Sugar Blues"/"The French Can-Can Polka" Vinyl 45 Record VG+ 1949 USD $4.05 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN-CAN VINYL LP NEW USD $23.30 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN - CAN-CAN USD $4.77 Buy It Now 2 days
JIVE BUNNY Can Can You Party 12" One Sided White Label Test Pressing With Hand W USD $4.28 Buy It Now 2 days
The Broadway Musicals Series - Can~Can USD $1.35 Buy It Now 2 days
TREACHEROUS THREE Yes We Can Can 12" 2 Track In Die Cut Info Sleeve B/w Instrume USD $10.68 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN CAN Original Soundtrack LP 12 Tracks Including Frank Sinatra (t746) UK World USD $6.80 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN CAN Original Soundtrack Album LP 12 Track Sealed Old Stock, Corner Slightly USD $4.89 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN CAN Original Sound Track Album LP 12 Track (w1301) UK Capitol USD $6.80 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN CAN Original Sound Track Album LP 12 Track (w1301) UK Capitol USD $4.28 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN Can And Out Of Reach CD 16 Track (cd19102) EUROPEAN Audelic 2003 USD $21.92 Buy It Now 2 days
JIVE BUNNY Can Can You Party 12" 2 Track Extended Mix B/w Can Can (mfdt007) But USD $4.28 Buy It Now 2 days
JIVE BUNNY Can Can You Party 12" 2 Track Extended Mix B/w Can Can (mfdt007) Pic USD $6.80 Buy It Now 2 days
FREAKY REALISTIC Reach CD 4 Track Featuring Can Can Mix, D-street Dub,joy For Li USD $4.28 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN-CAN - Film Soundtrack - Excellent Condition LP Record Capitol SM-1301 USD $12.25 Buy It Now 2 days
STAINLESS STEAL Can-can 7" Demo Featuring Edited Version And It All Comes Down T USD $4.28 Buy It Now 2 days
MAURICE CHEVALIER Sings Can Can 7" 4 Track Mono Ep Featuring C'est Magnifique, I USD $6.80 Buy It Now 2 days
LOUIS CLARK Hooked On A Can Can 7" B/w Hooked On Romance (rca151) UK Rca 1981 USD $6.80 Buy It Now 2 days
BAD MANNERS Can Can 7" B/w Armchair Disco (mag190) Pic Sleeve UK USD $6.80 Buy It Now 2 days
GLASS BAND Getting In Deep With You 7" B/w Queen Of The Can Can Show (stat 60) U USD $4.28 Buy It Now 2 days
BAD MANNERS Can Can 7" B/w Armchair Disco (mag190) Pic Sleeve UK Magnet 1981 USD $5.71 Buy It Now 2 days
FRANKIE CARLE Plays Can Can 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring I Love Paris, It's All Right USD $6.80 Buy It Now 2 days
JIVE BUNNY Can Can You Party 7" B/w Can Can (mfd007) Pic Sleeve UK Music Factory USD $1.43 Buy It Now 2 days
STAINLESS STEAL Can-can 7" Edited Version Demo B/w It All Comes Down To Love (em USD $2.85 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN Can-can 7" Can Can Disco (lig545) Writing On Labels UK Lightning 1978 USD $6.80 Buy It Now 2 days
Skip Martin CAN-CAN SEALED sexy cheesecake USD $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BAD MANNERS - Can can - 7" single USD $3.19 Buy It Now 2 days
Cole Porter ?- Cole Porter's Can-Can USD $1.59 Buy It Now 2 days
Frank Sinatra Can-Can Soundtrack UK vinyl LP album record W1301 CAPITOL 1960 USD $20.37 Buy It Now 2 days
Can-Can Nelson Riddle vinyl LP album record UK CAPS2400161 CAPITOL 1984 USD $25.82 Buy It Now 2 days
Frank Sinatra Can-Can UK vinyl LP album record SW1301 CAPITOL 1960 USD $19.01 Buy It Now 2 days
FRANK SINATRA & MAURICE CHEVALIER & SHIRLEY MACLAINE EP Spain 1962 Can-Can USD $9.00 [0 bids]
Bad Manners Can Can UK 45 7" single +Picture Sleeve +Armchair Disco USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Bad Manners Can Can - P/S 7" vinyl single record UK MAG190 MAGNET 1981 USD $13.54 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Jay & The Jaywalkers Can-Can '62 UK 7" vinyl single record 45-F11531 USD $14.92 Buy It Now 2 days
99p SALE* Peter Jay And The Jaywalkers Can-Can '62 UK 45 7" single +Redskins USD $1.35 Buy It Now 3 days
Apollo 100 - "Joy" 7" (1980) EX / "Can Can" / YB 97 (Young Blood) USD $3.39 Buy It Now 3 days
J. Offenbach - Virtuoso: Can Can Gaite Parisienne [CD New] USD $7.15 Buy It Now 3 days
Ferrante & Teicher 1954 45 RPM In Cardboard Picture Sleeve B-1719 Can-Can USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Virtuoso: Can Can Gaite Parisienne - J. Offenbach (CD Used Very Good) USD $5.15 Buy It Now 3 days
HINTERLANDT zu CAN CAN HEADS tenzenmen CD diy valse triste locust black engine USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Not Found - can can film musicals collection, Not Found, New CD USD $1.35 Buy It Now 3 days
(EV684) Skandi Girls, Do The Can Can - 2004 DJ CD USD $4.07 Buy It Now 3 days
78RPM 10" 1 Capitol circa 1953 Cole Porter Can Can Original Record Sleeve EX USD $10.95 Buy It Now 3 days
THE CAN CAN soundtrack frank sinatra W1301 rainbow rim with booklet LP PS VG/EX USD $12.24 Buy It Now 3 days
Cole Porter Can-Can, Frank Sinatra SEALED!! USD $19.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Can-Can Original Soundtrack Recording Capitol SW-1301 VG+ USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THE POINTER SISTERS self-titled BLUE THUMB LP '73 OG Yes We Can Can BOP R USD $3.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Hooked on a Can Can / Hooked on Romance - UK 12" single USD $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Can Can, Mexican Hayride (Porter) USD $20.63 Buy It Now 3 days
Rare Johnny Chester EP HIT PARADE Can Can Ladies California Sun Hokey Pokey + USD $37.43 [0 bids]
ANDRÉ PREVIN/POL/MARRINER & PISO - OFFENBACH-CAN CAN & GAITE PARISIENNE CD NEW+ USD $11.72 Buy It Now 3 days
CAN: Can LP (180 gram reissue, w/ download) Rock & Pop Traffic USD $22.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LP future days: live in cologne 1973
~ USD $25.65
LP soundtracks
~ USD $19.27
More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Can ratings distribution

CAN Can reviews

Review by soundsweird
2 stars I guess the inspiration had run out by this time. "Saw Delight" was pretty good, even with the lower-profile contributions of Holger Czukay, but this album finds the group doing a contractual-obligation snoozer. It's been some time since I sold this CD, so it's hard to give a precise post-mortem. I guess the best advice I can give is to stay away from anything after "Saw Delight".
Review by obiter
1 stars Time to review a couple of my least favourite albums ... it could get ugly (well at least it's not Amon Dull)

Cleverly Can lull you into a false sense of security at the opening. All Gates Open is actually quite passable. Not a lot happens, passable in this context is really a euphemism for not mind-numbingly awful. I can't help but think of waling in on a friends' we sister who was playing the family electric organ with a frighteningly annoying drum rhythm playing, and plonking a few keys with a disproportionate sense of glee. Safe is actually worse.

Sunday Jam is a welcome surprise. I found myself getting up and making a cup of tea as I thought the CD had stalled and inane elevator music was filling the gap. No, Sunday Jam is that elevator music. The lack of an elevator in my house should have given it away earlier.

Spectacle is actually quite a pleasant funky Starsky and Hutch number with an echoing mouth harp and some quite smart bass. Despite my prejudice I've got to admit this one is just a little bit groovy.

Ping pong is half a minute a ping pong ball bouncing on a table tennis table, You might think that's a pile of BS but you have to reserve that accolade for the truly dreadful cringe worthy Can Be (Can-can) number. How could anyone think this was a good idea? And even if they did, surely, but surely someone must have realised how hideously irritating and Goon Bay Dance Band this is. The Birdy Song and Grandad sound like prog classics in comparison.

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
2 stars When I listen to this album, I keep feeling that I should be seeing Mike Myers, as Dieter on Saturday Night, whining, "Now iss ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance."

This isn't a completely terrible Can album, it does have some listenable jams, but it in no way stands up to the better Can albums. Karoli, Schmidt and company are by no means virtuosos, but with the use of a studio full of effects, they come up with an album full of odd sounding dance tunes, but not terribly progressive ones.

Can? I'm not very certain they could at that point in their history.

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
Bonnek avatar
4 stars Can's last album exists under three different titles. I've come to know it as Inner Space, but it is also listed as Can and it exists as a package where it is crammed onto one CD together with Out Of Reach. I've always loved this album so as a special tribute I'll post a review for this edition as well.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

Can went through many phases, this album is an example of their smoother and funkier style. It doesn't contain as much innovative aspects as the previous couple of albums but with 5 strong tracks amounting to 30 great minutes it's a solid 4 star again.

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars I guess the iceberg credited with sinking the titanic is destined to have all subsequent achievements measured unfavourably against its coup de grace. CAN is highly regarded among the prog elite and far beyond prog - many artists of the 1970s, 1980s and beyond name CAN as a significant influence, and these include both other Krautrockers as well as those further afield. While I am only familiar with a small portion of their output, I actually find this late 1970s effort to be superior to the contemporaneous work by many of the prog giants of the day.

The playing is inspired, at times virtuous, the beats are infectious, albeit a bit too regular for the average elite prog fan, and the musicality of the exercises shine through all the period trappings in "Safe" and "Sunday Jam". These showcase Michael Karoli's guitar work and Irmin Schmidt's keys. There's generally a lot going on here but it succeeds in being mellow and groovy at the same time. Then again, "Sodom" and "Aspectacled" might be what detractors were referring to, trying too hard to establish a cool vibe, but the latter does have a decent synth theme. Luckily "Can Can", another installment of the ethnological forgery series kicks off its heels and provides welcome levity and clarity.

As someone who is not a fan of Kraut rock per se, my opinion might have more or less value to you depending on where you sit, but it seems that what CAN can do at their erstwhile worst is a pretty decent kick at the can.

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I actually kinda like this album, as opposed to the last two which I kinda loathed. It's the same lineup as before, so there are certainly many instances of the same noodly boring stuff (or, in the case of "A Spectacle," ill-conceived and incompetent attempts at pop) that I didn't like from these guys before, but there are also tracks where the band's new jamming style seems to mesh. In particular, the opening two tracks, the longest on the album, each manage to keep my attention through almost their entire lengths, which definitely couldn't be said about "Animal Waves" from Saw Delight (which ran almost as long on its own as these two tracks put together). "All Gates Open" combines harmonica in the first part with some actual warmth in Schmidt's tone and note choices, and "Safe" kinda works as a 1979 update of the Flow Motion vibe. It's gritty, it's groovy, and it's sooooo German, (in a Kraftwerk way more than a typical Can way), and I like it, dagnabbit.

The next three tracks take the band into (by now) typical territory, which of course means that the rating inevitably goes down, though at least "Sodom" has somewhat of an air of morbidity. Just when I've resigned myself to the same ole head drooping, though, the album takes the ultimate left turn. Yes, I am speaking of the band's cover of "Can-Can," a track so wrong on every level that I nearly keel over laughing every time, and that's a good thing. I can see why many fans would hate it, of course; this is the kind of thing that Mannheim Steamroller spent their whole career doing, and the kind of thing people hate ELP for bringing about in the first place. But man, this isn't something the band did on a regular basis; this is a one-time joke from a band that never showed on-the-job humor, and it's an opportunity to make complete fools of themselves that the band takes full advantage of. Oh man, Karoli doesn't even try to show any "good taste" or restraint in his guitar sounds on this, a basically note-for-note cover of the original, and it's all for the better. The last track, which is basically variations on "Can-Can," is a hoot too.

A brief review of a largely insignificant album, yes, but an album I'm not sorry to have heard. The band really had no future at this point, and it was a good thing for them to break up, but there have been far worse farewell albums in history, and I'm glad to say that I really like more than twenty minutes of this.

4 stars I find I am always a dissenter when it comes to this album. I own most of the early stuff, and though it is great in it's own way, alot of it was recorded on primitive equipment. And if you haven't figured it out by now, Can was basically an improvising band...what you heard on their albums was ... (read more)

Report this review (#159778) | Posted by ProggaWogga | Friday, January 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I remember hoping and praying for a return to form with this album, and you can tell that the band are trying. But without Czukay it's a hard slog. There's none of the inventive power of the early albums. Nothing here astonishes or delights. In parts the album is almost unlistenably bland. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#35309) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Can"