CAN

3. Sunday Jam (4:17)
4. Sodom (5:43)
5. Aspectacle (5:52)
Side 2
6. EFS No. 99 "Can Can" (3:16)
7. Ping Pong (0:25) Traditional
8. Can be (3:00)

This album was later released under the name "Inner Space" in 1985 under the Thunderbolt label and also included on the 1998 Thunderbolt release: "Inner Space / Out of Reach".

Search CAN Can lyrics

Search CAN Can tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitar, vocal, bass on "Can Be"
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboard, synthesizers
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Rosko Gee / bass
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Can Music

CanCan
Multiple Formats · Box set
Mute (Artist Intelligence) 2003
DVD$33.13
HITS FROM CAN CAN BY COLE PORTER VINTAGE RARE LP 1950's NM Vinyl USD $6.95 Buy It Now 1h 28m
FRANK SINATRA Can Can UK Mono twin track reel tape great shape USD $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
BAD MANNERS 7" vinyl record CAN CAN / ARMCHAIR DISCO USD $4.69 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Mimi Benzell & Felix Knight - Can Can & Kiss Me Kate LP Cole Porter Allegro UK USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 54m
BAD MANNERS - Can Can - 1981 UK 7" Vinyl Single USD $10.75 Buy It Now 3h 38m
BAD MANNERS UK 1981 7" Single CAN CAN NearMINT USD $3.83 Buy It Now 3h 50m
Various - Cole Porter's Can-Can: Original Soundtrack Album USD $2.00 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Can Can Soundtrack Lp Frank Sinatra Shirley MacLaine Sounded Really Nice USD $3.99 [0 bids]
Original Soundtrack - Cole Porters Can-Can #413833 USD $6.90 Buy It Now 4h 49m
JIVE BUNNY & THE MASTERMIXERS - Can Can You Party - 1990 UK 7" Vinyl Single USD $23.05 Buy It Now 4h 59m
Cole Porter American Musical Cassettes Time Life Broadway Can Can Anything Goes USD $31.99 Buy It Now 6h 59m
Can-Can And The Offenbach's Can-Can Medley 33 1/3 Long Play Record USD $12.99 Buy It Now 7h 11m
COLE PORTER's Can Can. USD $7.99 [0 bids]
CS Jive bunny Can can you party Maxi single USD $1.54 [0 bids]
90'S 45 Sheryl Crow - We Do What We Can / Can'T Cry Anymore On Am Records USD $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 10m
Can Can You Party, Jive Bunny, Good USD $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 55m
Cole Porter Capitol EP 45 Record Box Set #452 VG Can-Can I Love Paris USD $12.00 Buy It Now 9h 8m
COLE PORTER, CAN CAN - LP USD $8.00 Buy It Now 9h 15m
Can-Can LP Enhanced Stereo Broadway Cast by Cole Porter SET OF 2 RECORDS USD $15.99 Buy It Now 10h 9m
TERTY GIBBS Can - Can MGVS6145 LP Ca3072 USD $11.50 [5 bids]
Virtuoso: Can Can Gaite Parisienne - J. Offenbach (CD Used Very Good) USD $4.77 Buy It Now 11h 31m
YES WE CAN CAN: THE BEST OF THE BLUE THUMB RECORDINGS NEW CD USD $8.93 Buy It Now 18h 29m
IRENE HILDA CAN CAN & CAN I LOVE PARIS & C'EST MAGNIFIQUE PARLOPHONE R3945 USD $6.13 Buy It Now 19h 3m
CAN-Can (180 Gram)-Vinyl LP-Brand New/Still Sealed USD $17.82 Buy It Now 19h 15m
Sounds Of Peruvian Soul - Peruvian Soul Can Can #236274 USD $6.13 Buy It Now 19h 36m
CAN-CAN Lilo/Gwen Verdon 1953 CAPITOL Red Label LP NM/VG+ USD $14.99 Buy It Now 20h 7m
Can - Can (1978) (Spoon Records release LC 7395) USD $7.67 Buy It Now 20h 15m
CAN - Can (remastered) - LP USD $21.36 Buy It Now 22h 45m
PICTURE SLEEVE 7" - Bad manners - Can can - mag 190 USD $10.75 Buy It Now 1 day
CAN CAN soundtrack frank sinatra/shirley maclaine W 1301 1st uk LP PS EX/EX USD $13.81 Buy It Now 1 day
TONY OSBORNE can can vocal highlights R-199-189 usa paris LP PS EX/EX USD $30.55 Buy It Now 1 day
Bad Manners Can Can / Armchair Disco 1981 7" Inch Vinyl Single Mag190 USD $10.72 Buy It Now 1 day
Benny Carter - Can Can and Anythign Goes / Aspects [2 albums on 1 CD], Shelly M. USD $16.10 Buy It Now 1 day
Benny Carter - Can Can and Anythign Goes / Aspects [2 albums on 1. 8436542015592 USD $14.02 Buy It Now 1 day
Bad Manners Can can 7" MAG190 VG/EX UK USD $11.39 Buy It Now 1 day
BAD MANNERS - Can Can / Armchair Disco - P/S 7" vinyl Magnet MAG 190 1980s USD $6.52 Buy It Now 1 day
Bad Manners Can Can - Armchair Disco UK Magnet MAG190 SKA / MOD / OI / Reggae USD $9.21 [0 bids]
C'EST MAGNIFIQUE Cole Porter SHEET MUSIC Australia CAN-CAN USD $7.11 Buy It Now 1 day
SEALED Cole Porter CAN-CAN Film Soundtrack LP SINATRA USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Can Can-mono Ost Lp-capitol-452 Cole Porter Lilo-VG+ USD $2.00 [0 bids]
Buggs Can Can and Triggerman: Y2G's by Showboys (CD, Apr-2000, Papergame... USD $35.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE THREE SUNS CAN CAN POLKA EP1279 EP wm4541 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
GENEVIEVE s/t, ORIGINAL 1959 LP RECORD, NEAR MINT! C'est Magnifique, Can-Can... USD $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
The Pointer Sisters-Yes We Can Can CD NEW USD $9.40 Buy It Now 1 day
Can- can (Mini Lp) (CD) USD $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Boomshanka - So Hard To Find - Can Can - 1995 #145082 USD $4.60 Buy It Now 1 day
Avarice - Listen To Me - Can Can Records - 1994 #148775 USD $4.60 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPITOL~ CAN CAN ~ VINTAGE ORIGINAL ~ RECORD COMPANY SLEEVE ~ 7" SINGLE 45 RPM USD $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Bad Manners - Can Can Mint UK 7" single with picture sleeve M/M USD $12.30 Buy It Now 2 days
Bad Manners - Can Can UK 7" single with picture sleeve EX/NM USD $9.23 Buy It Now 2 days
Bad Manners - Can Can UK 7" single with picture sleeve VG/VG USD $7.69 Buy It Now 2 days
422 057-1 Offenbach Can Can - Overtures & Ballets / Almeida USD $9.21 [0 bids]
BAD MANNERS - Can Can - 1981 UK 7" Juke Box Vinyl Single USD $10.75 Buy It Now 2 days
APOLLO 100 Joy 7" B/w Can Can Pic Sleeve UK Youngblood 1980 USD $7.21 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN Can-can 7" Can Can Disco Writing On Labels UK Lightning 1978 USD $7.67 Buy It Now 2 days
BAD MANNERS Can Can 7" B/w Armchair Disco Pic Sleeve UK Magnet 1981 USD $7.21 Buy It Now 2 days
JIVE BUNNY Can Can You Party 7" B/w Can Can Pic Sleeve UK Music Factory 1990 USD $2.38 Buy It Now 2 days
FRANKIE CARLE Plays Can Can 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring I Love Paris, It's All Right USD $11.29 Buy It Now 2 days
GLASS BAND Getting In Deep With You 7" B/w Queen Of The Can Can Show UK State 1 USD $5.60 Buy It Now 2 days
CAPITOL label company sleeve - red ink on brown stock; plugs "Can-Can" - 7" USD $4.00 Buy It Now 2 days
LOUIS CLARK Hooked On A Can Can 7" B/w Hooked On Romance UK Rca 1981 USD $7.67 Buy It Now 2 days
MAURICE CHEVALIER Sings Can Can 7" 4 Track Mono Ep Featuring C'est Magnifique, I USD $7.67 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER JAY AND THE JAYWALKERS Can Can 62 7" B/w Redskins UK Decca 1962 USD $7.67 Buy It Now 2 days
STAINLESS STEAL Can-can 7" Demo Featuring Edited Version And It All Comes Down T USD $5.60 Buy It Now 2 days
STAINLESS STEAL Can-can 7" Edited Version Demo B/w It All Comes Down To Love UK USD $7.23 Buy It Now 2 days
COLE PORTER'S CAN CAN ( VINYL LP ) USD $6.13 Buy It Now 2 days
Mark Andrews - Cole Porter's Can Can (Spin-O-Rama MK 3080) USD $12.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Can Can Music (Omega PLS 3008 Stereo) USD $12.49 Buy It Now 2 days
LIGHT SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA Strauss Polkas / Offenbach Can Can 12" 78 HMV C2963 USD $19.97 Buy It Now 2 days
Can-Can Music From Cole Porter's Broadway Hit Show 33 rpm Paris Record LP Vinyl USD $24.00 Buy It Now 2 days
KNOWONE - NEVER / BOOMSHANKA MIX 4 TRACK 12" Vinyl (CAN CAN) CLASSIC PIANO HOUSE USD $11.52 Buy It Now 2 days
SKANDI GIRLS, DO THE CAN CAN, M/M, 2 Track, CD Single, Picture Sleeve, INTELLIG USD $1.52 [0 bids]
YOU SING THE HITS OF CAN CAN POCKET SONGS USD $11.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Stainless Steel / Can-Can / LP NM USD $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
3 LPs by POINTER SISTERS - S/T W/YES WE CAN CAN & 2 LP BEST OF - ON BLUE THUMB USD $12.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Maurice Chevalier : Maurice Chevalier Sings Can Can : 4 Track EP : MGM EP 724 USD $11.98 Buy It Now 2 days
GORDON JENKINS/CAN CAN US ED2058 USD $12.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN CAN Original Sound Track Album LP 12 Track UK Capitol USD $5.60 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN CAN Original Soundtrack Album LP 12 Track Sealed Old Stock, Corner Slightly USD $6.29 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN CAN Original Soundtrack LP 12 Tracks Including Frank Sinatra UK World Recor USD $7.67 Buy It Now 2 days
CAN CAN Original Sound Track Album LP 12 Track UK Capi USD $7.67 Buy It Now 2 days
THE POINTER SISTERS Self Titled LP BLUE THUMB yes we can can USD $2.25 Buy It Now 2 days
The London Theatre Company Presents - Kismet, Can Can USD $0.99 [0 bids]
London Theatre Company/KISMET & CAN CAN/Richmond-London B 20077 Sealed NEW USD $20.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Can Can - Viennnses Symphonic Orchestra.. Plymouth#P12-119 NMVG+ USD $2.99 [0 bids]
USD $12.00 Buy It Now
Cole Porter's Can-Can - Original Broadway Cast-Lilo, Peter Cookson, Hans Conreid USD $2.49 [0 bids]
USD $4.99 Buy It Now
FREAKY REALISTIC Reach CD 4 Track Featuring Can Can Mix, D-street Dub,joy For Li USD $5.60 Buy It Now 2 days
THE POINTER SISTERS, Yes We Can Can-Jada, 45 BLUE THUMB BTA 229 1973 VG+ NEW USD $6.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Jive Bunny And The Master Mixers : Can Can you Party Single Record Mirror Advert USD $5.38 Buy It Now 2 days
Bu Devirde CD Padisah Tovbeler olsun Cici Kiz Sibel Can Can'la Turkish music USD $16.00 Buy It Now 2 days
BILLIE GODFREY I Love What You Do For Me 12" 4 Track Club Mix UK Can Can 1995 USD $7.21 Buy It Now 2 days
JIVE BUNNY Can Can You Party 12" 2 Track Extended Mix B/w Can Can Pic Sleeve UK USD $9.67 Buy It Now 2 days
JIVE BUNNY Can Can You Party 12" One Sided White Label Test Pressing With Hand W USD $5.60 Buy It Now 2 days
JIVE BUNNY Can Can You Party 12" 2 Track Extended Mix B/w Can Can But Has Pen M USD $5.60 Buy It Now 2 days
Can-Can - Soundtrack LP w/ Frank Sinatra, Shirley MacLaine USD $4.88 Buy It Now 3 days
KEIKO MATSUI(COSMOS)"CAN CAN CAN!" AUTOGRAPHED MEGA RARE LIKE NEW+EX USD $150.00 [0 bids]
Genevieve - Songs From Can-Can 7" Cole Porter Cadence 1958 USD $5.59 Buy It Now 3 days
Arthur Fiedler - Can-Can : An Offenbach Festival LP Boston Pops RCA 1975 USD $3.49 Buy It Now 3 days
Frank Sinatra & Others - Can-Can - Soundtrack - Vinyl Soundtracks USD $15.66 Buy It Now 3 days
COLE PORTER's Can Can. Music From The Film. Orig 1950s Coronet 33 RPM LP. Sealed USD $4.50 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Can ratings distribution

CAN Can reviews

Review by soundsweird
2 stars I guess the inspiration had run out by this time. "Saw Delight" was pretty good, even with the lower-profile contributions of Holger Czukay, but this album finds the group doing a contractual-obligation snoozer. It's been some time since I sold this CD, so it's hard to give a precise post-mortem. I guess the best advice I can give is to stay away from anything after "Saw Delight".

Review by obiter
1 stars Time to review a couple of my least favourite albums ... it could get ugly (well at least it's not Amon Dull)

Cleverly Can lull you into a false sense of security at the opening. All Gates Open is actually quite passable. Not a lot happens, passable in this context is really a euphemism for not mind-numbingly awful. I can't help but think of waling in on a friends' we sister who was playing the family electric organ with a frighteningly annoying drum rhythm playing, and plonking a few keys with a disproportionate sense of glee. Safe is actually worse.

Sunday Jam is a welcome surprise. I found myself getting up and making a cup of tea as I thought the CD had stalled and inane elevator music was filling the gap. No, Sunday Jam is that elevator music. The lack of an elevator in my house should have given it away earlier.

Spectacle is actually quite a pleasant funky Starsky and Hutch number with an echoing mouth harp and some quite smart bass. Despite my prejudice I've got to admit this one is just a little bit groovy.

Ping pong is half a minute a ping pong ball bouncing on a table tennis table, You might think that's a pile of BS but you have to reserve that accolade for the truly dreadful cringe worthy Can Be (Can-can) number. How could anyone think this was a good idea? And even if they did, surely, but surely someone must have realised how hideously irritating and Goon Bay Dance Band this is. The Birdy Song and Grandad sound like prog classics in comparison.

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
2 stars When I listen to this album, I keep feeling that I should be seeing Mike Myers, as Dieter on Saturday Night, whining, "Now iss ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance."

This isn't a completely terrible Can album, it does have some listenable jams, but it in no way stands up to the better Can albums. Karoli, Schmidt and company are by no means virtuosos, but with the use of a studio full of effects, they come up with an album full of odd sounding dance tunes, but not terribly progressive ones.

Can? I'm not very certain they could at that point in their history.

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Can's last album exists under three different titles. I've come to know it as Inner Space, but it is also listed as Can and it exists as a package where it is crammed onto one CD together with Out Of Reach. I've always loved this album so as a special tribute I'll post a review for this edition as well.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

Can went through many phases, this album is an example of their smoother and funkier style. It doesn't contain as much innovative aspects as the previous couple of albums but with 5 strong tracks amounting to 30 great minutes it's a solid 4 star again.

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars I guess the iceberg credited with sinking the titanic is destined to have all subsequent achievements measured unfavourably against its coup de grace. CAN is highly regarded among the prog elite and far beyond prog - many artists of the 70s, 80s and beyond name CAN as a significant influence, and these include both other Krautrockers as well as those further afield. While I am only familiar with a small portion of their output, I actually find this late 70s effort to be superior to the contemporaneous work by many of the prog giants of the day.

The playing is inspired, at times virtuous, the beats are infectious, albeit a bit too regular for the average elite prog fan, and the musicality of the exercises shine through all the period trappings in "Safe" and "Sunday Jam". These showcase Michael Karoli's guitar work and Irmin Schmidt's keys. There's generally a lot going on here but it succeeds in being mellow and groovy at the same time. Then again, "Sodom" and "Aspectacled" might be what detractors were referring to, trying to hard to establish a cool vibe, but the latter does have a decent synth theme. Luckily "Can Can", another installment of the ethnological forgery series kicks off its heels and provides welcome levity and clarity.

As someone who is not a fan of Kraut rock per se, my opinion might have more or less value to you depending on where you sit, but it seems that what CAN can do at their erstwhile worst is a pretty decent kick at the can.

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I actually kinda like this album, as opposed to the last two which I kinda loathed. It's the same lineup as before, so there are certainly many instances of the same noodly boring stuff (or, in the case of "A Spectacle," ill-conceived and incompetent attempts at pop) that I didn't like from these guys before, but there are also tracks where the band's new jamming style seems to mesh. In particular, the opening two tracks, the longest on the album, each manage to keep my attention through almost their entire lengths, which definitely couldn't be said about "Animal Waves" from Saw Delight (which ran almost as long on its own as these two tracks put together). "All Gates Open" combines harmonica in the first part with some actual warmth in Schmidt's tone and note choices, and "Safe" kinda works as a 1979 update of the Flow Motion vibe. It's gritty, it's groovy, and it's sooooo German, (in a Kraftwerk way more than a typical Can way), and I like it, dagnabbit.

The next three tracks take the band into (by now) typical territory, which of course means that the rating inevitably goes down, though at least "Sodom" has somewhat of an air of morbidity. Just when I've resigned myself to the same ole head drooping, though, the album takes the ultimate left turn. Yes, I am speaking of the band's cover of "Can-Can," a track so wrong on every level that I nearly keel over laughing every time, and that's a good thing. I can see why many fans would hate it, of course; this is the kind of thing that Mannheim Steamroller spent their whole career doing, and the kind of thing people hate ELP for bringing about in the first place. But man, this isn't something the band did on a regular basis; this is a one-time joke from a band that never showed on-the-job humor, and it's an opportunity to make complete fools of themselves that the band takes full advantage of. Oh man, Karoli doesn't even try to show any "good taste" or restraint in his guitar sounds on this, a basically note-for-note cover of the original, and it's all for the better. The last track, which is basically variations on "Can-Can," is a hoot too.

A brief review of a largely insignificant album, yes, but an album I'm not sorry to have heard. The band really had no future at this point, and it was a good thing for them to break up, but there have been far worse farewell albums in history, and I'm glad to say that I really like more than twenty minutes of this.

4 stars I find I am always a dissenter when it comes to this album. I own most of the early stuff, and though it is great in it's own way, alot of it was recorded on primitive equipment. And if you haven't figured it out by now, Can was basically an improvising band...what you heard on their albums was ... (read more)

Report this review (#159778) | Posted by ProggaWogga | Friday, January 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I remember hoping and praying for a return to form with this album, and you can tell that the band are trying. But without Czukay it's a hard slog. There's none of the inventive power of the early albums. Nothing here astonishes or delights. In parts the album is almost unlistenably bland. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#35309) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Can"