CAN

3. Sunday Jam (4:17)
4. Sodom (5:43)
5. Aspectacle (5:52)
Side 2
6. EFS No. 99 "Can Can" (3:16)
7. Ping Pong (0:25) Traditional
8. Can be (3:00)

This album was later released under the name "Inner Space" in 1985 under the Thunderbolt label and also included on the 1998 Thunderbolt release: "Inner Space / Out of Reach".

Search CAN Can lyrics

Search CAN Can tabs

- Michael Karoli / guitar, vocal, bass on "Can Be"
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboard, synthesizers
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Rosko Gee / bass
- Reebop Kwaku Baah / percussion

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Can Music

Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Vinyl$17.43
LandedLanded
Vinyl$18.49
Saw DelightSaw Delight
Vinyl$18.49
Daniel Bedingfield / I Can't Read You US $1.61 Buy It Now 29m 38s
Can't Fight The Moonlight [CD 1] [CD 1], LeAnn Rimes, Good685738525126 US $1.59 Buy It Now 29m 54s
Can't get enough of your love, Taylor Dayne, Acceptable743211478526 US $1.59 Buy It Now 31m 4s
Things Can Only Get Better, D-Ream, Acceptable745099496326 US $1.59 Buy It Now 31m 13s
Example ?- Girl Can't Dance (Chase & Status Remixes) US $2.41 Buy It Now 31m 50s
The Beatles "Can't Buy Me Love /You Can't Do That" 1964 Parlophone 7" vinyl US $5.14 Buy It Now 32m 38s
I Can Make You Feel Good [CD 1], Kavana, Acceptable724389401622 US $1.59 Buy It Now 34m 15s
I Believe I Can Fly, R. Kelly, Acceptable US $1.59 Buy It Now 34m 17s
Claudia Barry Can't you feel my heart beat EPIC 1987 Pe US $23.99 Buy It Now 34m 37s
MODERN TALKING You can win if you want Hansa 1985 US $27.99 Buy It Now 34m 37s
Can't Fight Fate by Taylor Dayne (Cassette, Oct-1989, Arista) US $16.99 [1 bids]
35m
TAKE THAT "BACK FOR GOOD/PRAY/WHY CAN´T I WAKE UP WITH YOU/A MILLION LOVE SONGS" US $25.00 Buy It Now 36m 29s
VAN MORRISON with The Chieftains I Can't Stop Loving You 3 Track MAXI CD 1991 US $5.95 Buy It Now 36m 44s
THE CORRS What Can I Do 3 Track MAXI CD Live - USA 1998 US $4.95 Buy It Now 36m 44s
KYLIE MINOGUE Can't Get You Out Of My Head 4 track MAXI CD EU US $4.95 Buy It Now 36m 44s
U2 Sometimes you can't make it on your Own 3 Track MAXI CD Single EU 2005 US $4.95 Buy It Now 36m 44s
Elvis Presley 50000000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wro... vinyl LP record CAN US $69.44 Buy It Now 37m 23s
Brooke Miller - You Can See Everything - U.S. cd Digipak 091914 US $7.95 Buy It Now 39m 22s
FOXY BROWN TOTAL I CAN'T MY LIFE RIDE 12" 1999 SEALED US $12.99 Buy It Now 42m 32s
Pointer Sisters The - Yes We Can Can / Jada 45 1973 NM US $3.99 Buy It Now 43m 30s
CNBLUE Mini Album Vol. 5 Can't Stop II Taiwan Ltd CD+Standing Paper+Calendar US $33.68 Buy It Now 45m 28s
You Can Sing Hits of the 40's V. 1 by Hits of the 40's US $20.00 Buy It Now 46m 3s
Can of Beans Temptation LP 12" vinyl US $1.90 [0 bids]
46m 25s
Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill CD NEW [Remastered] US $9.76 Buy It Now 47m 2s
Scout Niblett - This Fool Can Die Now (2007) (Bonnie Prince Billy) US $3.22 [0 bids]
47m 42s
Matt Hires - This World Won't Last Forever, But Tonight We Can Pretend CD NEW US $15.77 Buy It Now 47m 57s
You Can't Fix Stupid [Edited] [ECD] by Ron (Comedy) White (CD, Feb-2006,... US $6.99 Buy It Now 48m 4s
Charlie Rich Dance of Love / I Can't Go On 45 Vinyl Record SMASH US $4.00 Buy It Now 59m 18s
Mice ...Because I Can SEALED 1996 UK CD All About Eve Gene Loves Jezebel Mission US $23.95 Buy It Now 59m 55s
Bobby Vee - More Than I Can Say 7" Single 1961 US $16.10 Buy It Now 1h 6m
CRANIUM'S Robert Palmer SOME PEOPLE CAN DO WHAT THEY LIKE orig Lp NM PROMO copy US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
EDDIE DRENNON & B.B.S. UNLIMITED-LET'S DO THE LATIN HUSTLE-1975-7"-CAN-Ship$6.00 US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
ICEHOUSE-CAN'T HELP MYSELF / FATMAN-1981-7"-CANADA-WorldShip$6.00-EuroUnio$5.00 US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
JOURNEY Why Can't This Night Go On Forever 7" 45 Columbia 38-07043 promo PS US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Trevor Rabin - Can't Look Away CD US $6.99 [0 bids]
RAY CHARLES.I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU.4 TRACK EP.HMV.7" VINYL.45RPM US $5.63 [0 bids]
TERRAPLANE " I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOUR LOVE " & FREE LIVE FLEXIDISC EXCELLENT US $6.42 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Enter Shikari 7" Picture disc Anything Can Happen In The Next Half Hour US $8.03 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Teddy Wilson Sextet - I Can't Get Started / Stompin At The Savoy - Musicraft 332 US $3.98 Buy It Now 1h 23m
go-feet 12" : CEDRIC MYTON & CONGOS-can't take it away (hear) US $24.13 Buy It Now 1h 24m
WHO Archives 1967/1968 2-LP Vinyl TIN CAN TCR-2004 Studio & Live Recording Album US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
HOTHOUSE FLOWERS CD You can love me now/Don't go (CD2) US $8.03 Buy It Now 1h 29m
DJ Shadow - You Can't Go Home Again x2 + 3 More - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $6.95 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Bon Jovi 7" Picture Disc Who Says You Can't Go Home US $6.42 Buy It Now 1h 34m
GENE HENSLEE - How Can I Tell You / What Will You Do Then IMPERIAL 78rpm US $8.95 Buy It Now 1h 37m
TOMMY ROE WE CAN MAKE MUSIC 1970s ABC Records Vinyl LP ABCS714 US $5.89 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Sinéad Quinn - I Can't Break Down US $2.17 Buy It Now 1h 45m
HOWARD JONES THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER 12" 1985 PROMO US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
DEAD CAN DANCE AION Test Pressing Contempo Italy MINT Goth Dark Wave Medieval US $40.00 [0 bids]
Gloria Gaynor, Never Can Say Goodbye, 1975, LP Record (L6) MGM Records, 2315 321 US $7.88 Buy It Now 1h 49m
PIC & BILL "YOU CAN NEVER GO BACK" DEMO LISTEN! US $8.03 Buy It Now 1h 49m
THE BEATLES - Can't Buy Me Love - Rare UK 7" CBS/Oriole Contract Pressing US $77.27 Buy It Now 1h 49m
THE CURE - Why Can't I Be You - Rare UK 7" Silver Labels +Pic Sleeve US $21.72 Buy It Now 1h 49m
The Trash Can Sinatras I've seen eveything CD US $12.86 Buy It Now 1h 54m
David J I can't shake this shadow of fear 7" Post Punk Bauhaus Love and Rockets US $6.42 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Walls Can Fall by George Jones (CD, Oct-1992, MCA (USA)) US $3.00 [0 bids]
THE VILLAGE PEOPLE-2 LP'S & 1 12" SINGLE-Y.M.C.A.-CRUISIN'-CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Main Ingredient The - Everybody Plays The Fool / Who Can I Turn To 45 1972 EX US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
GLUE Catch As Instrumentals 2x LP NEW VINYL Maker Can US $17.99 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Chuck Miller The House Of Blue Lights VG++/Can't Help Wonderin' VG++ Rock 45 US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Boystown Gang ?- I Can't Take My Eyes Off You US $1.61 Buy It Now 2h 6m
FABULOUS B-BOYZ,CD Single,Can You Feel the Heat? US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Various Artists,BRUNO BERTONE,NEW CD,Anyone Can Dance: Nightclub Slow Dancing US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
BEE GEES -LIFE IN A TIN CAN-JAPAN MINI LP CD Ltd/Ed F30 US $26.50 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Miley Cyrus - Can't Be Tamed CD Deluxe Edition ( Miley LIVE At The O2 ) DVD US $1.59 [0 bids]
Gloria Gaynor Never Can Say Goodbye 7" Single MGM Label 2006463 US $4.81 Buy It Now 2h 19m
BROOKS & DUNN I Can't Get Over You (1998 US 2-track promo CD single) ASCD-3152 US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Miley Cyrus - Can't Be Tamed NEW CD US $9.92 Buy It Now 2h 22m
IRON MAIDEN - Can I Play in Paris, PICTURE DISC w/COVER, limited edition, NEW US $42.11 [3 bids]
JOHN KONGOS TOKOLOSHE MAN / CAN SOMEONE PLEASE DIRECT ME BACK VINYL 7" SINGLE US $2.56 Buy It Now 2h 26m
JAMES BROWN "Can't get any harder" EAST 17 "Deep" - RARE 7"ITALY PROMO for JB US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Queensrÿche - Best I Can (CD, Single, EMI, 1991) Queensryche Japan Fast Shipping US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 28m
TOM JONES 7" PS Japan CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU r7360 US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Sounds That Can't Be Made 0826992028521, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $22.13 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Bubblerock Is Here to Stay / I can't get no Satisfaction - Vinyl 7" Single US $1.59 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Yvonne Elliman - I Can't Get You Outa My Mind - Vinyl 7" Single US $1.59 Buy It Now 2h 31m
I Can Only Imagine: Lullabies for a Peaceful Rest by Various Artists (CD,... US $2.50 [0 bids]
Any Which Way You Can (ost) 0030206723687, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $22.13 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Poison picture sleeve single- Nothin' But A Good Time / Look But You Can't Touch US $8.75 Buy It Now 2h 33m
IRON MAIDEN - CAN I PLAY WITH RIO / AIR RAID SIREN / MAIDEN BRAZIL l1VE IN RIO US $69.00 [2 bids]
The Hell Hounds cd Can't Take it With Ya US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 34m
KEATH BARRIE a season of change LP 10 track sleeve has seam split (uala842g) can US $17.66 Buy It Now 2h 35m
MADONNA "YOU CAN DANCE" 1982 - 1987 *RARE* 12" US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Four Seasons - We Can Work It Out K16845 7" VINYL RECORD EX 31 US $4.49 Buy It Now 2h 44m
MICHAEL JOHNSON YOU CAN CALL ME BLUE 1980 45 RPM EMI/AMERICA RECORDS P-8054 US $2.98 Buy It Now 2h 44m
The MYSTERY JETS FLOTSAM & JETSAM US American Import CD You Can't Fool Me Dennis US $11.25 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Offenbach - Virtuoso: Can Can Gaite Parisienne CD US $14.69 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Boys Town Gang I Just Can't Help Believing 1982 UK 12" US $16.08 Buy It Now 2h 47m
THE ROLLING STONES 45 HONKY TONK WOMEN & YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT US $2.50 [0 bids]
Shalamar - I Can Make You Feel Good-The Best Of CD US $12.70 Buy It Now 2h 48m
VAN HALEN-Why Can't This Be Love/Get Up UK 7" EX Cond US $4.81 Buy It Now 2h 54m
MEADOWS BROTHERS: I Can't Understand (soul vinyl 45) US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 55m
MEIR ARIEL you can't catch me ISRAEL ISRAELI HEBREW CD PROMO 1 TR ???? ????? US $50.00 Buy It Now 2h 59m
The Government Rams - Good Work .. If You Can Get It! TRAD. NEWFOUNDLAND LOT US $6.99 [0 bids]
3h
45 RPM record CAN'T STOP NOW BY THE MUSIC EXPLOSION US $10.00 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Mega Rare 60's The Beatles Song Can't Buy Me Love Sung in Cantonese 7" CEP1996 US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 8m
RAINBOW CAN'T LET YOU GO TWELVE INCH PS SINGLE VINYL MINT US $6.42 Buy It Now 3h 8m
RIFF - White Men Can't Jump - RARE '92 US 12" PROMO (Radio/Slammin' Mixes) EXC US $43.68 Buy It Now 3h 9m
VINYL Single: CATE BROS - CAN'T CHANGE MY HEART US $4.02 Buy It Now 3h 9m
IF YOU CAN'T GIVE ME LOVE - 70's Sheet Music - SUZI QUATRO - Chapman US $19.32 Buy It Now 3h 11m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Can ratings distribution

CAN Can reviews

Review by soundsweird
2 stars I guess the inspiration had run out by this time. "Saw Delight" was pretty good, even with the lower-profile contributions of Holger Czukay, but this album finds the group doing a contractual-obligation snoozer. It's been some time since I sold this CD, so it's hard to give a precise post-mortem. I guess the best advice I can give is to stay away from anything after "Saw Delight".

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#23311) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Review by obiter
1 stars Time to review a couple of my least favourite albums ... it could get ugly (well at least it's not Amon Dull)

Cleverly Can lull you into a false sense of security at the opening. All Gates Open is actually quite passable. Not a lot happens, passable in this context is really a euphemism for not mind-numbingly awful. I can't help but think of waling in on a friends' we sister who was playing the family electric organ with a frighteningly annoying drum rhythm playing, and plonking a few keys with a disproportionate sense of glee. Safe is actually worse.

Sunday Jam is a welcome surprise. I found myself getting up and making a cup of tea as I thought the CD had stalled and inane elevator music was filling the gap. No, Sunday Jam is that elevator music. The lack of an elevator in my house should have given it away earlier.

Spectacle is actually quite a pleasant funky Starsky and Hutch number with an echoing mouth harp and some quite smart bass. Despite my prejudice I've got to admit this one is just a little bit groovy.

Ping pong is half a minute a ping pong ball bouncing on a table tennis table, You might think that's a pile of BS but you have to reserve that accolade for the truly dreadful cringe worthy Can Be (Can-can) number. How could anyone think this was a good idea? And even if they did, surely, but surely someone must have realised how hideously irritating and Goon Bay Dance Band this is. The Birdy Song and Grandad sound like prog classics in comparison.

Send comments to obiter (BETA) | Report this review (#169483) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 01, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars When I listen to this album, I keep feeling that I should be seeing Mike Myers, as Dieter on Saturday Night, whining, "Now iss ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance."

This isn't a completely terrible Can album, it does have some listenable jams, but it in no way stands up to the better Can albums. Karoli, Schmidt and company are by no means virtuosos, but with the use of a studio full of effects, they come up with an album full of odd sounding dance tunes, but not terribly progressive ones.

Can? I'm not very certain they could at that point in their history.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221428) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Can's last album exists under three different titles. I've come to know it as Inner Space, but it is also listed as Can and it exists as a package where it is crammed onto one CD together with Out Of Reach. I've always loved this album so as a special tribute I'll post a review for this edition as well.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

Can went through many phases, this album is an example of their smoother and funkier style. It doesn't contain as much innovative aspects as the previous couple of albums but with 5 strong tracks amounting to 30 great minutes it's a solid 4 star again.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255268) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars I guess the iceberg credited with sinking the titanic is destined to have all subsequent achievements measured unfavourably against its coup de grace. CAN is highly regarded among the prog elite and far beyond prog - many artists of the 70s, 80s and beyond name CAN as a significant influence, and these include both other Krautrockers as well as those further afield. While I am only familiar with a small portion of their output, I actually find this late 70s effort to be superior to the contemporaneous work by many of the prog giants of the day.

The playing is inspired, at times virtuous, the beats are infectious, albeit a bit too regular for the average elite prog fan, and the musicality of the exercises shine through all the period trappings in "Safe" and "Sunday Jam". These showcase Michael Karoli's guitar work and Irmin Schmidt's keys. There's generally a lot going on here but it succeeds in being mellow and groovy at the same time. Then again, "Sodom" and "Aspectacled" might be what detractors were referring to, trying to hard to establish a cool vibe, but the latter does have a decent synth theme. Luckily "Can Can", another installment of the ethnological forgery series kicks off its heels and provides welcome levity and clarity.

As someone who is not a fan of Kraut rock per se, my opinion might have more or less value to you depending on where you sit, but it seems that what CAN can do at their erstwhile worst is a pretty decent kick at the can.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#290244) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars I actually kinda like this album, as opposed to the last two which I kinda loathed. It's the same lineup as before, so there are certainly many instances of the same noodly boring stuff (or, in the case of "A Spectacle," ill-conceived and incompetent attempts at pop) that I didn't like from these guys before, but there are also tracks where the band's new jamming style seems to mesh. In particular, the opening two tracks, the longest on the album, each manage to keep my attention through almost their entire lengths, which definitely couldn't be said about "Animal Waves" from Saw Delight (which ran almost as long on its own as these two tracks put together). "All Gates Open" combines harmonica in the first part with some actual warmth in Schmidt's tone and note choices, and "Safe" kinda works as a 1979 update of the Flow Motion vibe. It's gritty, it's groovy, and it's sooooo German, (in a Kraftwerk way more than a typical Can way), and I like it, dagnabbit.

The next three tracks take the band into (by now) typical territory, which of course means that the rating inevitably goes down, though at least "Sodom" has somewhat of an air of morbidity. Just when I've resigned myself to the same ole head drooping, though, the album takes the ultimate left turn. Yes, I am speaking of the band's cover of "Can-Can," a track so wrong on every level that I nearly keel over laughing every time, and that's a good thing. I can see why many fans would hate it, of course; this is the kind of thing that Mannheim Steamroller spent their whole career doing, and the kind of thing people hate ELP for bringing about in the first place. But man, this isn't something the band did on a regular basis; this is a one-time joke from a band that never showed on-the-job humor, and it's an opportunity to make complete fools of themselves that the band takes full advantage of. Oh man, Karoli doesn't even try to show any "good taste" or restraint in his guitar sounds on this, a basically note-for-note cover of the original, and it's all for the better. The last track, which is basically variations on "Can-Can," is a hoot too.

A brief review of a largely insignificant album, yes, but an album I'm not sorry to have heard. The band really had no future at this point, and it was a good thing for them to break up, but there have been far worse farewell albums in history, and I'm glad to say that I really like more than twenty minutes of this.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#397742) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011

4 stars I find I am always a dissenter when it comes to this album. I own most of the early stuff, and though it is great in it's own way, alot of it was recorded on primitive equipment. And if you haven't figured it out by now, Can was basically an improvising band...what you heard on their albums was ... (read more)

Report this review (#159778) | Posted by ProggaWogga | Friday, January 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I remember hoping and praying for a return to form with this album, and you can tell that the band are trying. But without Czukay it's a hard slog. There's none of the inventive power of the early albums. Nothing here astonishes or delights. In parts the album is almost unlistenably bland. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#35309) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Can"