DELAY 1968

Studio Album, released in 1981

Side 1
1. Butterfly (8:20)
2. Pnoom (0:26)
3. Nineteen Century Man (4:18)
4. Thief (5:03)
5. Man Named Joe (3:54)
Side 2
6. Uphill (6:41)
7. Little Star of Bethlehem (7:09)

Search CAN Delay 1968 lyrics

Search CAN Delay 1968 tabs

- Holger Czukay / bass
- Michael Karoli / guitar
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards
- Malcom Mooney / vocals

Lps-Spoon records

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Delay 1968 Music

Mute 2008
Future DaysFuture Days
Remastered
Mute 2008
RARE mint condn promo CD copy of HOLY FAMILY's new album CAN'T DANCE... US $1.60 [1 bids]
29m 44s
THE MILKSHAKES NOTHING CAN STOP THESE MEN CD US $1.60 [1 bids]
30m 16s
AMMO - CAN'T SMILE WITHOUT YOU 1966-1977 - NEW US $22.68 Buy It Now 30m 22s
STRAY CATS - Rock This Town / Can't Hurry Love - 1981 UK 7" Single US $4.85 [0 bids]
30m 59s
2CD Lot - Steely Dan Can't Buy A Thrill & Countdown To Ecstasy (Both Remastered) US $3.99 [0 bids]
31m 20s
5 BARRY WHITE CD Lot: Greatest Hits, Stone Gon', Can't Get Enough + 2 MORE CDs US $18.88 Buy It Now 32m
Janie Fricke (Frickie) 45 Are You Satisfied / Till I Can't Take It Anymore w/ts US $2.00 Buy It Now 32m 11s
The Communards - Never Can Say Goodbye - 7-inch Record #communards US $7.28 Buy It Now 32m 15s
THE RUSTIKS/ CAN´T YOU SEE THE BEATLES MEGARARE SPANISH "PROMO" ISSUE EP 7" US $40.70 [0 bids]
33m 3s
The Shagtime Band: She Can't Fix Grits / She's Got No Rhythm 45 - R US $3.99 [0 bids]
33m 41s
PETER BROWN - Can't Be Love/West Of The North Star US $5.00 Buy It Now 34m 24s
RAZZY BAILEY "I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF YOU" 45 RPM US $3.99 Buy It Now 34m 50s
ELISABETH WITHERS IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE HAND AUTOGRAPHED CD INSERT ONLY US $9.95 Buy It Now 35m 24s
Keith Hampshire - Big time operator/You can't hear the song I sing - A US $4.99 [0 bids]
35m 48s
PHILIP UPCHURCH COMBO You Can't Sit Down VG 45 RPM US $0.99 [2 bids]
36m 26s
IRENE CARA "ANYONE CAN SEE" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 37m 33s
45RPM LOBO - How Can I Tell Her & Hope You're Proud of US $11.99 Buy It Now 37m 39s
THE ARMSTRONG TWINS (He Can Save Your Soul / Bouquet In) 78 RPM COUNTRY RECORD US $8.00 Buy It Now 38m 2s
PETER FRAMPTON You Can Be OOP EURO CD single acoustic US $11.05 Buy It Now 38m 2s
Dead Can Dance 3 CD Lot * Spiritchaser, A Passage In Time & Into The Labyrinth US $7.99 [2 bids]
38m 55s
Rock 45 THE BEE GEES How Can You Mend a Broken Heart on Atco US $5.00 Buy It Now 40m 14s
I Can See Clearly Now, Nash, Johnny, New US $6.55 Buy It Now 40m 31s
FRANKIE CARLE I Can't Give You Anything But Love M- 45 RPM US $0.49 [0 bids]
40m 51s
L'il Jimmy Becton "Why Can't It be Real" Northern Soul * 1973 * Promo-DJ*45 RPM US $19.99 [0 bids]
41m 26s
Soul 45 RONNIE DYSON (If You Let Me Make Love To You Then) Why Can't I Touch You US $3.00 Buy It Now 41m 28s
MAMA'S AND THE PAPA'S, IF YOU CAN BELIEVE...1966 1ST PRESS CLASSIC VINYL LP VG+ US $16.20 [0 bids]
43m 38s
Blackhawk - Stone By Stone/I Sure Can Smell The Rain - ARISTA #12718 US $2.99 [0 bids]
44m 35s
Sonny Stitt JAZZ 45 Star Eyes / Who Can I Turn To US $11.98 Buy It Now 44m 49s
PAPERCUTS - CAN'T GO BACK NEW VINYL US $23.18 Buy It Now 44m 50s
LEFT LANE CRUISER - ALL YOU CAN EAT NEW VINYL US $24.79 Buy It Now 44m 56s
CAN YOU DIG IT: MUSIC & POLITICS OF BLACK / VAR NEW CD US $29.53 Buy It Now 45m 1s
Bad Company Can't Get Enough & Little Miss Fortune Swan Song Oldies SS-70100 VG US $3.99 Buy It Now 45m 9s
ROBIN CHRISTENSON - YOU CAN SING IT YOURSELF, VOL. 2 NEW CD US $22.73 Buy It Now 45m 13s
Saratoga Trunk - Can You Help Me Help myself/Party Song UNI #55307 US $4.99 [0 bids]
45m 29s
THE PLAYMATES 45 "JO-ANN" / "YOU CAN'T STOP ME FROM DREAMING" ROULETTE R-4037 US $2.00 [0 bids]
45m 47s
COREY HART 45rpm...CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE...EMI AMERICA...VG++...'86 US $1.75 Buy It Now 48m 7s
KOOL & THE GANG: Take My Heart (You Can Have It If You Want) (UK 1981 7" Single) US $4.85 Buy It Now 48m 46s
GUILLOTINE: I Can't Believe It / Those Years Have Gone By 45 (dj) Rock US $12.00 Buy It Now 49m 13s
Randy Travis-Can't Stop Now / On The Other Hand-45rpm US $1.99 Buy It Now 49m 29s
HOWARD TATE: Baby, I Love You / How Blue Can You Get 45 Soul US $25.00 Buy It Now 49m 42s
KRS-One - Can't Stop, Won't Stop / The MC / Word Perfect 12" 1996 UNPLAYED! US $4.85 [0 bids]
50m 37s
45 rpm Record: Alabama; Forty Hour Week & Can't Keep A Good Man Down US $0.99 [0 bids]
50m 51s
Elvis Presley / 50,000,000 fans can't be wrong, 1977 US $12.00 Buy It Now 50m 53s
FAMILY BROWN: I Can't Get Used To Being Alone / Mono 45 (dj) rare Soul US $50.00 Buy It Now 50m 59s
Dawn Martin CAN YOU FEEL THE MUSIC Vinyl Rap R&B Electronic SEALED Maxi Records US $2.79 Buy It Now 51m 31s
Elvis Costello And The Attractions - I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down 7" single US $1.60 [0 bids]
51m 40s
Kraftwerk "Radioactivity" LP Neu! Can Faust Front 242 Cabaret Voltaire Brian Eno US $9.99 [0 bids]
51m 57s
Raindrops - Even though you can't dance/The kind of boy you can't forget US $8.99 [0 bids]
52m 1s
Can You Stand The Heat, Ana Popovic, New US $15.01 Buy It Now 52m 27s
Andy Williams - Can't Get Used To Losing You 1963 7" Ex CBS AAG138 US $6.47 Buy It Now 52m 36s
Elvis Presley - We Can Make The Morning 1972 7" Ex RCA 2188 US $6.47 Buy It Now 52m 37s
NOS BILLY SWAN...I CAN HELP US $6.00 Buy It Now 53m 32s
HK Cd + Vcd THE PANCAKES Friendcakes 2000 CAN PANICK US $35.00 Buy It Now 54m 11s
ARCHIE BELL & THE DRELLS: I Bet I Can Do That Dance You're Doin' (45) - Soul US $3.95 Buy It Now 54m 54s
1971 Three Dog Night "Joy To The World-I Can Hear You Calling" 45 US $2.99 Buy It Now 55m 12s
1974 Paper Lace "The Night Chicago Died-Can You Get It When You Want It" 45 US $2.99 Buy It Now 55m 12s
ARCHIE BELL & THE DRELLS: Show Me How To Dance/ How Can I (PI Records, 45) Soul US $2.95 Buy It Now 55m 28s
FIDELITYS 45 Memories Of You / Can't You Come Out - NM US $20.00 Buy It Now 56m 1s
GENESIS We Can't Dance UK cassette tape MINT US $4.86 [0 bids]
56m 12s
ARCHIE BELL/ THE DRELLS: I Can't Stop Dancing/You're Such A Beautiful Child (45) US $4.45 Buy It Now 56m 29s
J RAWLS / THEY CAN'T SEE ME 12" DE 2001 HIP HOP VINYL US $3.23 Buy It Now 56m 43s
ROLLING STONES YOU CAN'T ALWAYS RARE DJ CD ARGENTINA US $24.99 Buy It Now 56m 43s
Utah Saints What Can You Do for Me 12" Classic Club Old Skool Rave Anthem US $8.09 [0 bids]
56m 57s
BILLY BELL: Can't Turn Off The Pain/Cannon Ball Yodel (Country-Politan, 45) Rare US $7.95 Buy It Now 57m 22s
Johnny Foreigner - You Can Do Better [CD New] US $12.80 Buy It Now 58m 1s
MUKKY - You Can Do It - 12" US $15.55 Buy It Now 58m 20s
Ultra Rare Leon Russell Anything Can Happen Promo Cassette Tape Virgin Records US $10.63 Buy It Now 58m 41s
By & By - Get It While You Can [CD New] US $15.05 Buy It Now 58m 59s
Simon Band Jensen - All You Can Eat [CD New] US $17.26 Buy It Now 59m 8s
Daniel Gilbert - Nowadays Daniel Can't Even Sing [CD New] US $24.12 Buy It Now 59m 12s
Lionel Richie 45 Can't Slow Down / Say You Say Me 1985 Motown Vinyl Record US $3.79 Buy It Now 1h
VOICES OF CHRIST: Somehow I Can Sing (black gospel vinyl LP) US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h
RARE Led Zeppelin P-115A Jap Press Hey Hey What Can I Do / Immigrant Song 45 US $4.99 [1 bids]
1h
The Beatles - Can't Buy Me Love original UK 7" Single EX- Nice Condition US $3.23 [2 bids]
1h
I CAN NOT TERMINATE / NE MOGU KONCHIT' - VYKHOD US $18.95 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Buddy Miles Regiment Can You Hold Me 7" 45 Atlantic 3852 1981 Vinyl US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
DR HOOK - Girls Can Get It - PROMO DISCO FUNK 12" US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Infusion Girls Can Be Cruel 12" Audiotherapy AT016 2005 Vinyl US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Eddie Money - Can't Hold Back (CD, Oct-1990, Columbia (USA)) CK 40096 DADC US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
45 JOAN JETT & THE BLACKHEARTS WHY CAN'T WE BE HAPPY EVERYDAY PEOPLE MCA-52272 US $6.98 Buy It Now 1h 4m
The First Times Frank Sinatra vinyl LP Sealed Cameron Records This Can't Be Love US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
DON HENLEY : I CAN'T STAND STILL , ( WEA , CANADA ) US $4.25 Buy It Now 1h 4m
STEELY DAN CAN'T BUY A THRILL MINI LP SUPER RARE WITH OBI JAPAN US $32.00 [0 bids]
SONIQUE - Can't Make Up My Mind - pre-release 12" US $13.12 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Joe Cocker - I Can Stand a Little Rain (CD, Sep-2006, Universal Special) US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Men at Work - Who Can be Now ? Anyone For Tennis Mint US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
JOHN HAMMOND I Can Tell LP record blues album RARE MONO press! US $21.95 Buy It Now 1h 5m
CD* No Balls (4AD Promotional Sampler) - VA * LISA GERMANO * DEAD CAN DANCE * US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
PIPER (BILLY SQUIER) Can't Wait 1977 A&M CLASSIC ROCK LP SIS US $6.50 [0 bids]
Impressions 70s SOUL 45 (Cotillion PROMO 44222) Can't Get Along VG++ US $5.95 Buy It Now 1h 7m
FOUR LADS VG+ 45 rpm OH THAT'LL BE JOYFUL what can I lose 4-40220 NORMAN LEYDEN US $1.99 [0 bids]
DONNA FARGO VG+ 45 rpm YOU WERE ALWAYS THERE he can have all he wants DOT 17460 US $1.99 [0 bids]
BRENDA DIXON David Speegle TOO AFRAID TO ASK can we talk VG+ 45 rpm JUKEBOX US $1.99 [0 bids]
BRIAN HYLAND 45 rpm VG++ I CAN HEAR THE RAIN joker went wild PHILIPS 40377 US $1.99 [0 bids]
CONNIE FRANCIS VG+ 45 rpm JEALOUS HEART I can rely on you MGM k13420 RECORD US $1.99 [0 bids]
DAWN VG+ 45 rpm TIE A YELLOW RIBBON I can't believe how much I love you JUKEBOX US $1.99 [0 bids]
CLARENCE HENRY 45 rpm VG+ lonely street WHY CAN'T YOU argo 5395 VINYL record US $1.99 [0 bids]
NOS PIECES OF A DREAM ........ WHAT CAN I DO US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Kidsongs: I Can Do It US $5.82 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Arbors - I can't quit her/Lovin' tonight (Maybe tonight) - Date #1645 US $3.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Delay 1968 ratings distribution

CAN Delay 1968 reviews

Review by corbet
3 stars I really like this album. I don't know why I used to have a problem with Monster Movie (this album's successor, and CAN's first official release) and not this one, because they certainly share a lot of the same "distinct" characteristics. Malcom Mooney, of course, is the big one. If you've never heard his vocal style, it's not so much singing as what one could call "schizophrenic ranting." I think he actually did go nuts a few years down the line, which is no big surprise once you hear the stuff that spouts out of his mouth... Anyway, musically speaking, all the songs on this album are pretty similar: odd droning keyboards; driving, subtly shifting drum patterns; super-distorted guitars and sound effects; and of course, said shizophrenic ranting. The atmosphere is raw and electric, and there's little of what I would think of as conventionally "pretty." But, for me, the magic of this album (and of CAN in general) is that it all comes together to form music that is actually strikingly beautiful in an odd, indescribable way; so instead of paying attention to the elements (almost "punk-like," serious..) I would just plunge right in, and prepare to be bewildered.

Send comments to corbet (BETA) | Report this review (#23316) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 02, 2004

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars The German Velvet Underground's first album and late release . This should be viewed as a full-fledge bonafide Can album and another chance to hear Mooney period and enjoy it too. Do not be afraid of my comparison but this sounds most like Velvet Underground , but this is no disrespect as V U did some fine avant-garde music especially with John Cale in the band.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#23317) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 08, 2004

4 stars This is one of CAN's better albums, in their top three in my opinion along with "Monster Movie" and "Tago Mago". While "Monster Movie" is officially their first album "Delay 1968" was really their first album recorded in 1968, but not released untiil 1981. Incredible really. Since this is where it all started i'll give a bit of background on the band. "In 1968 five young men moved into the Schloss Norvenich in Cologne, lent to them by a benevolent art dealer and proceeded to soundproof the place with egg boxes and army surplus matresses. Keyboardist Irmin Schmidt and Holger Czukay both came from the academic world of New Music-both had been a pupil of Karlheinz Stockhaussen. Drummer Jaki Liebezeit had been part of a Free Jazz scene but now yearned to forego musical "freedom" in favour of repetition, monotony and grooves. Michael Karoli was younger than the rest of the group, a handsome young guitarist as close to the conventional rock createure as CAN possessed...finally there was Malcom Mooney, an African-American sculpture evading the draft, whom they met in Paris and at once conscripted into the CAN". Schmidt had made a trip to America where he encountered the sounds of Zappa and THE VELVET UNDERGROUND and soon those academic traditions were brushed away. Because of the tragic events in Germany in 1968 the band decided that they would be all equal with no one greater than another. No stars, no solos, no egos.This is stripped down in every way, with that fantastic beat they are known for with Mooney's drugged out vocals.

"Butterfly" might be my favourite song on here.The guitar is so aggressive and raw, and the beat is hypnotic with drugged out vocals. Organ arrives after 2 minutes.The beat becomes even more addictive 3 minutes in.The drumming becomes more prominant after 4 minutes.The song calms down and then builds back up with some good bass. "Pnoom" makes me laugh with the short little horn outbursts.The song ends with the sound of the microphone stand being knocked down to the floor. "Nineteen Century Man" is an R&B flavoured tune that is almost impossible to sit still through. Very catchy. Some DOORS-like organ 2 1/2 minutes in. Good song. "Thief" is different from the rest, even the vocals are reserved. Kind of a melancholic climate to this one. Some solemn sounding sax as well on this moving song. One of the top three tracks for me.

"Man Named Joe" features some crazy sounding vocals and sax. The song loses steam on purpose 3 minutes in. "Uphill" has this heavy, relentless beat throughout, as the vocals and guitar do what they please. "Little Star Of Bethleham" is the other top three song on this record for me. This one is a psychedelic beauty. The vocals on the intro sound like Chong as he tells us the story about froggy and toady carrying off the tangerine seeds one by one. Someone is completely fried ! This song has such a great trippy groove to it. Very relaxing tune as he almost raps out the lyrics.

If your a CAN fan you need to get this one, you will not be disappointed. Easily 4 stars. This is also one of the earliest Krautrock records.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#151275) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 17, 2007

Review by ExittheLemming
3 stars Prepare to Meet Thy Pnoom

Butterfly - A one chord jam that does tend to outstay it's welcome seeing as how it's but a short sprint to the medicine cabinet off 9 minutes. Can come across here like a garage band who neglected to remove the car beforehand. (Something appears to be cramping their style and it's not the exhaust fumes) Despite a promising start featuring a huge resonating strummed chord from Karoli and some delicious contradictory harmonic choices from Schmidt's organ, like the parked Volkswagen, this just ain't going anywhere in a hurry. Not a very auspicious opening fellas....

Pnoom - rather silly little creaking joke. Guess you had to be there. Somehow managed to tickle PA's own recalcitrant agent provocateur sufficiently to use same as their moniker?

Nineteen Century Man - A rather slapdash and lazy pastiche of cod R'n'B with the Can signature card of endlessly repeated random nonsense via that alternative Mooney orifice located south of his trouser belt. Imagine James Brown stoned off his tits and jamming with the Velvet Underground and you are halfway there. Probably culpable in the creation of stoner rock.

Thief - As if by some miraculous transformation, the four Colognians suddenly live up to the rabid hype heaped upon their shrugging shoulders after all these years. Here we have in their home-made incubator the little egg that would hatch into the handsome black swan set free by Joy Division, Cure, PIL and the Banshees. Incredibly prescient and hauntingly beautiful. One thing that this band cannot be accused of is mediocrity, as I have invariably found their music to be either spine cracking brilliant or not worth the dirt between a busker's toes. (even Damo Suzuki's)

Man Named Joe - Jazz gets the can't be arsed so we'll call it instant composition treatment this time with underwhelming results not helped in the least by Mooney's vocal which appears to have been delivered wearing a particularly pungent sock over his head. Redeemed slightly by some seriously wicked playing from Liebezeit who betrays his past as that of a highly accomplished jazz drummer.

Uphill - One of my favorite bands of all time is the Fall, and until I heard this track I honestly believed that the spiky Mancunians were free of all traces of hippy lineage in their reference materials. Not so, as during Uphill we catch a glimpse of the palpable influence that the Germans would exert on one of their biggest fans Mark E. Smith in the years to come. The little brother that Sister Ray always wished she'd had.

Little Star of Bethlehem - Like so many other sublime Can moments, this can be construed as either uncanny genius or perhaps just plain 'fluky' and for once we get to hear what an intoxicating voice Mooney has when he sings conventionally (or sobers up) His lyrics remain cryptically impenetrable as ever, but I for one just cannot hear these lines without breaking into a wide chuckling grin:

- Froggie and Toadie carried off the tangerine seeds one by one and came back for the popcorn after dinner asking do you want some? Asking do you want waterlillys in your bathtub? -

Pay close attention to the rhythm engine at the heart of Can and you will hear a sound oft imitated but never equaled by most of their avowed devotees and wannabees. Holger Czukay's bass, if heard in isolation, would probably sound about as promising as a baritone elastic band, but wedded to the approach adopted by a jazz drummer playing cyclic rock, the sum conspires to alleviate the unrelenting pulse of this hypnotic music with subtle funky compensating dynamics and authoritative weight. What's perhaps ironic is that his band-mates often encouraged Liebezeit to play 'like a machine' but such consummate feel cannot be replicated by any amount of humanising software algorithms. It is perhaps for this phenomenon alone, that much of Can's work is imbued with such enduring longevity and appeal. If stripped to the bare bones of bass and drums, they are the greatest dance band in the history of Prog.

I cannot imagine Can shifted that many units during their lifetime, but like their kindred spirits the Velvet Underground, they are probably responsible for everyone who bought one of their albums, forming a band.

Can's shorter tracks appeal to me much more than the stamina and attention sapping 'groove marathons' that seem to last for days on albums like Tago Mago, so for this reason I found it very difficult to come up with a satisfying rating for Delay.

Let's see...I can press the Lemminator Algorithm into service here: 7 tracks with 3 baby clangers (treat Pnoom as plaque between the teeth of a giant) with 1 above average track plus 2 shafts of iridescent and eternal light wedded to a shedload of ballsy attitude and energy = 3 stars y'all

Send comments to ExittheLemming (BETA) | Report this review (#211153) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 13, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Listening to Can's Delay from 1968 is a strange experience. As soon as the opening Butterfly sets off you're quite sure there must be a mistake. First of all, this anarchistic and uncompromising stuff can never be from 1968, secondly, this is obviously a lost song from Sonic Youth around 1986. So you listen again, and again, and you turn the album cover around and stare at the album credits for 10 minutes, you start an encompassing search on the internet but everything proves you wrong. This was released in 1981 but it is not something from the American underground from the 80's. It's a bunch of Germans from 1968. Unbelievable. The artistic vision is beyond anything released till then. CAN = Communism, Anarchism, Nihilism. Very much so if you hear this.

After the nice 30 seconds of Pnoom, Nineteen Century Man continues the atonal, repetitive droning and violent attitude of the opener. Although here you might discern some influences from existing music, something between raw blues from the 50ties and Velvet Underground maybe? I like the rough delivery of Malcolm Mooney here. I sometimes find Suzuki too excessive, Mooney's vocals here are just spot on for this kind of music.

Delay was not the real debut but was released later comprising of 1968 recordings. So obviously it contains some weird stuff like Man Named Joe, an acquired taste to say the least. Compositions like Butterfly and Uphill are essential though. They are impressive testimonies of how this band got their act together right from the start. They would have to wait a good 10 or 15 years till their vision was really picked up and elaborated by the great bands of the 80's; Tuxedo Moon, PIL, Joy Division, Siouxsie, Sonic Youth,... To name just a few that come to mind. Not easy to get into, but once you're hooked this stuff gets under your skin.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#244837) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 16, 2009

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
4 stars For the fan of a trashy and surreal sixties music this album revealed some really inspiring and utterly confused music. Neurotic repetitive themes from garage-rehearsal room are fresh, but still within the borders of 1960's original and 1970's post-psychedelic musical context, clearly pioneering the experimental music landscape, and leaving commercial values and accepted pop-rock aesthetics behind. In addition of "Pnoom" joke, these jam-tracks run from four to eight minutes. Though the songs build up from quite simple elements, the players exploit the sonic possibilities really professionally, being similarly impulsive and imaginative, yet still working successfully and disciplined towards a mutual goal. They manage to introduce thematic elements and shift tensions pleasantly, and offering thus a rich musical experience for willing listener. I did not like very much the track "Man Named Joe" due the singing in it, but otherwise the songs here pleased me really much. As a personal remark, I earlier tried to get into this band trough album "Tago Mago", but I didn't warm up for that. But this great archive record opened my ears finally, and next I'll go check out some monster movies.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#245435) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars This is an archive release of tracks from the earliest days of the band, even before Monster Movie, and since its release it's often been considered the band's "real" debut. There is also a pretty sizable school of thought that says this is superior to MM, and since I've never been a huge fan of that one, I'd hoped I'd fall into this category. My understanding was that this was based in a more "traditional" approach than MM, but if anything I thought this would be somewhat intriguing.

Sadly, I barely even like this album as much as that one. I do find some amusement in the idea that Can was once a weird sort of psychedelic acid-rock band, and there's definitely some good material, but this album has many of the flaws that would show themselves on MM. The rhythm section is basically anonymous (not bad, but not remarkable either), Schmidt doesn't really sound necessary, and while Karoli displays a versatile set of licks, he can hardly carry the album himself. And man, I just get really tired of Mooney in a hurry. On half of the tracks here, I find him actively irritating, and this is a serious problem.

Of the seven tracks, only three tickle my fancy enough that I'd want to hear them all the way through again, even if the other tracks tend to have at least some points of interest (this is why, despite my largely negative attitude towards many of the album's attributes, I can still barely squeeze out a *** rating for it). "Nineteenth Century Man" sounds like the band trying to do its own version of a Chuck Berry rocker, with Karoli hammering out bluesy licks over and over. I wouldn't go so far as to call this a "normal" rock song, but it's as close as you'd get from Can for a little while, and it's a pretty good one. "Thief" is a remarkably moving ballad, where Mooney's worn vocals provide a strong burst of emotional power as he sings, "why must I be the thief ... why must I be the thief ..." over a simple atmospheric guitar line (interspersed with some slow emotional soloing on par with anything on Soundtracks). For once, Mooney is able to make his voice produce a strong emotional effect, and this is probably the best track he did with the band. Later on, then, comes "Uphill," an amusingly noisy chugging rocker with more Mooney blabbering that's at least coherent enough not to be distracting. It might not deserve to be almost 7 minutes long, but I've heard worse.

The other tracks aren't great, though. "Butterfly" just seems like it should be better than it is, as Karoli's ultra-minimalistic guitar pounding gives an ironically epic feel to the sound, and for a couple of minutes Mooney's ramblings about a dying butterfly sound kinda awesome. Unfortunately, while this might have made a decent 3-minute track, it gets stretched well past the 8-minute mark, without any especially interesting instrumental tricks or without any significant shifts in dynamics or anything to break the tedium, and I get tired of it soon. It's easy to see how this has elements of Can jamming that would come later, but the band had a long way to go in making its jamming into something that could capture the interest of a plebe like me. "Pnoom" is a 30-second throwaway (amusing enough, though), "Man Named Joe" is an upbeat romp but kinda stupid, and the closing "Little Star of Bethlehem" starts off sounding promising before forgetting to go anywhere at all for seven minutes. These aren't the worst things in Can's career, but I'd have absolutely no reason to care about them if they didn't have "historical significance."

In short, I'm probably missing something with this material, but I don't really feel any kind of gaping void in my life from not appreciating this album more. They might not have sounded like anybody else of the time, but I'm not necessarily sure we should be crediting new and exotic ways of intermittently sucking. Seek out "Thief" (and maybe "Nineteenth Century Man" and "Uphill") however you can, but don't break a sweat over the rest.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#383551) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 20, 2011

Review by stefro
4 stars Recorded in 1968 but not issued until 1981 'Delay' offers up more welcome helpings from the earlier days of Can's time with original lead-vocalist Malcolm Mooney, the schizophrenic American who appeared on the group's seminal 'Monster Movie' album. Depending on which Can you truly dig - whether it be the smoother, more psychedelic and experimental textures of Japanese ex-Busker Damo Suzuki or Mooney's wildly cacophonous brilliance - Can will always be one of those groups whose appeal is rooted in their own unique de-construction of rock 'n' roll. Both vocalists added their own peculiar flavour to the group's burgeoning sound, yet Mooney's time was briefest. Here, then, we get another chance to peruse the manic American's time with Can, this blistering release featuring seven sizzling cuts that paint 1968 Can in the same colour as the Velvet Underground, only with less emphasis on druggy dronery and a wild-eyed experimental edge brewed up with elements of funk, jazz, avant-garde rock and surreal sonic palettes of wirey guitars, tribal percussion and Mooney's own howling tones. Highlights include the lysergic tint of 'Butterfly', the punky, garage-flecked 'Nineteen Century Man', an eight-minute trawl through psychedelic world fusion territory on 'Little Star Of Bethlehem' and the scratchy, minimalist prog of the brilliantly-realised cut 'Thief'. Most interestingly of all, 'Delay' takes on a slightly broader range of styles than 'Monster Movie', showcasing Can at a highly transitional period. That said, this was a group quite unlike any other, and this welcome addition to the group's eclectic discography only goes to (rather emphatically) prove the point. Pretty damn brilliant. STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#840356) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 19, 2012

4 stars This may be the first krautrock recording sessions. While delayed till 1981 the recordings contains only 1968/69 material and so giving us some impression of the early krautrock development of one of the best bands the krautrock movement had delivered. Malcolm Mooney takes care of the vocals w ... (read more)

Report this review (#750806) | Posted by the philosopher | Tuesday, May 08, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is a true debut album, with the production turned down so low that it sounds as if it was recorded in a tiny bathroom by a cheap cassette player lying on its side in the doorway... The driving rhythms, even in this early time, shows the genius of Jaki Liebezeit and his ability to set ... (read more)

Report this review (#87503) | Posted by edible_buddha | Thursday, August 17, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This may be the most brilliant undiscovered gem in the Can catalog. Personally I have always preferred Malcolm Mooney to his more popular (and incomprehensible) replacement Damo Suzuki. Mooney's lyrics on "Little Star of Bethlehem" are absolute genius nonsense!! He was the original freak- ... (read more)

Report this review (#54329) | Posted by | Tuesday, November 01, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is CAN in the raw, playing live and largely unedited. There are three phases to CAN's career, and along with Soundtracks and Monster Movie, this album documents the raw energy that the early CAN displayed with such ease. The mid period (up to Soon Over Babaluma and Unlimited Edition) is ... (read more)

Report this review (#35311) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This was my very first Can purchase and I have to say I'm quite smitten with the Malcolm Mooney-era Can. These recordings were intended to be the first Can record but remained on the shelf for some time. Favorites of mine include the tense "Thief", the explosion of "Pnoom" and what may forever be ... (read more)

Report this review (#23314) | Posted by | Monday, December 22, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Delay 1968 "