RITE TIME

Can Rite Time album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy CAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1989

1. On The Beautiful side of a Romance (7:27)
2. The Withoutlaw Man (5:00)
3. Below This Level (PATIENT'S SONG)(3:43)
4. Thief (5:03)
5. Movin' right Along (3:24)
6. Like a new Child (7:41)
7. Hoolah Hoolah (4:31)
8. Give The Drummer Some (6:44)
9. In The Distance lies the Future (4:02)

Search CAN Rite Time lyrics

- Holger Czukay / French horn, dictaphone, bass, synthesizers
- Malcom Mooney / vocals

Lps-Spoon records

Actual Time 46.15

and to uduwudu for the last updates

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Rite Time Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute U.S. 2008
Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Mute U.S. 2008
NM 1964 Patsy Cline 45 Hank Williams Decca Cheatin' Heart & I Can't Help It US $3.99 [0 bids]
30m 54s
Steely Dan Can't Buy a Thrill Original SEALED LP Limited Colored Vinyl ABC US $45.59 Buy It Now 31m 28s
UTAH SAINTS-WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR ME (TRANSFORMER REMIX)-1991-OLDSKOOL HOUSE US $13.17 Buy It Now 31m 33s
UTAH SAINTS-WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR ME-1990-OLDSKOOL HOUSE US $13.17 Buy It Now 31m 37s
LENA FIAGBE can't smile without you CD 2 track eric kupper 7 vocal mix promo wit US $8.43 Buy It Now 33m 5s
the CASINOS-then you can tell me goodbye(writ JD Loudermilk) Australian W US $8.64 [2 bids]
33m 56s
PINK - CAN'T TAKE ME HOME ~ PIC DISC CD ( P!NK ) 90's POP *NEW* US $13.70 Buy It Now 34m 12s
LISTEN - POPCORN - NORMAN WISDOM - THE JOKER - WHO CAN I TURN TO US $124.99 Buy It Now 35m 21s
LATTIE MOORE: You Can't Make Hay Pickin' Cotton LP Country US $25.00 Buy It Now 36m 5s
I Can't Stop Loving You - Hits of the 50's & 60's - This Time By Basie R9-6070 US $7.64 Buy It Now 38m 22s
Grand Wizard Theodore Can I Get a Soul Clapp OG! *LISTEN!* Worldwide Shipping! US $389.99 Buy It Now 42m 16s
CAN Can 1979 Self Titled S/T Vinyl 180g LP NEW And SEALED US $25.27 Buy It Now 42m 34s
THE JACKSONS 'Can You Feel It Collection' - 14 Tracks US $16.45 Buy It Now 42m 46s
MILLIE JACKSON - IF THAT DON'T TURN YOU ON / YOU CAN'T STAND - TOWN 130 US $11.82 Buy It Now 43m 5s
Dead Can Dance - Self Titled Original - Uk Original CD Album No Barcode US $19.99 Buy It Now 45m 44s
Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun Uk CD Original Issue no Barcode US $22.99 Buy It Now 45m 48s
Dead Can Dance Serpents Egg Cd US $12.99 Buy It Now 46m 1s
Mamas And Papas - If You Can Believe Your Eyes A (2011) - Used - Compact Di US $8.60 Buy It Now 46m 13s
Dead Can Dance - Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun - CAD2708CD US $15.40 Buy It Now 47m 25s
Reggae 45 AL CAMPBELL Can't Hold Me JAMMY$ Records Vg+ DIGITAL US $6.99 [0 bids]
47m 42s
DEBBIE HARRY i can see clearly 12" 4 track featuring d:reamix,instrumental mix,d US $10.46 Buy It Now 48m 57s
Hank Ballard - You Can't Keep a Good Man Down - (James Brown Sessions) - CDSBCS US $20.06 Buy It Now 50m 58s
Deborah Harry (Blondie) I Can See Clearly CD 1 RARE 1993 Double Slimcase LISTEN US $7.99 Buy It Now 51m 39s
BEE GEES - Life In A Tin Can - CD US $17.99 Buy It Now 51m 51s
Elaine & Derick ?- How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye ORIG UK 12" NM BB LOVERS US $11.82 Buy It Now 52m 1s
Can You Rock? Sing And Play The Songs Of fall out boy US $2.99 Buy It Now 52m 34s
Jimmy Smith -Any Number Can Win- Verve V6-8552 Ex/Ex US $19.99 Buy It Now 52m 45s
Alex "Heartbreak Queen/Only You Can Make Me"12"45 PROMO US $7.95 Buy It Now 54m
(ROCK 7") LED ZEPPELIN - IMMIGRINT SONG / HEY HEY WHAT CAN I DO (JAPAN W/PS) US $30.00 Buy It Now 58m 45s
I CAN MAKE A MESS LIKE NOBODY'S BUSINESS - S/T CD The Early November 2004 US $5.90 Buy It Now 1h
THE WHO I CAN SEE FOR MILES / 7INCH PS US $349.99 Buy It Now 1h
LIGHTHOUSE - Can You Feel It - CD - VG++ 2008 ReMastered CD from Spain US $12.88 Buy It Now 1h 2m
ALL NEW OFFICIAL MIXTAPE 2014 - Waka Flocka - I Can't Rap Vol. 1- RAP / HIP-HOP US $12.99 [0 bids]
SKEETER DAVIS, NO NEVER/(I Can't Help You) I'M FALLING TOO-RCA Orig 7" 1960-vg++ US $8.43 Buy It Now 1h 5m
LEO SAYER I Can't Stop Loving You UK 7" 1978 EX CHS 2240 VINYL 45 SINGLE US $4.55 Buy It Now 1h 6m
HANK CEE I CAN'T GET OVER YOU TWO SIDES TO A STORY 45 RPM US $9.99 [0 bids]
Barbra Streisand-A Christmas Album-CD-Only She Can Sing These Songs This Way!!! US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
TEMPTATIONS..I CAN`T GET NEXT TO YOU..VERY GOOD 1969 MOTOWN LABEL SOUL 7" TMG722 US $6.74 Buy It Now 1h 11m
THE KNACK "CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON LOVE/ (HAVIN' A) RAVE UP" 1980 CAPITOL VG+ US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Can't Get Enough: Ricky Martin, Menudo, New US $7.97 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Can't Get Enough, Soulsearcher, New Single US $7.97 Buy It Now 1h 14m
northern soul BILLY BUTLER AND CHANTERS Can't Live Without Her OKEH DJ listen! US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
BUNNY BERIGAN I Can't Get Started 1978 QUINTESSENCE JAZZ MONO LP US $13.00 Buy It Now 1h 17m
1974 - LOU REED - Sally Can't Dance - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $15.20 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Kids Can Play Recorder [DVD] By Mel Reeves US $19.91 Buy It Now 1h 17m
HummingBird - We Can't Go On Meeting Like This LP Record/Vinyl A US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Clifton Chenier The Big Wheel Where Can My Baby Be ARGO 5262 cajun zydeco US $8.50 [2 bids]
Baby Can I Hold You [CD 2] US $7.95 Buy It Now 1h 18m
B.B. King CD 1999 How Blue can you get EX Canada issue US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Norwood-I can't let you go-1987 usa 12" single US $12.68 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (The Complete Sessions 1991-1993) US $7.95 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Well hung parliament-We can be-12" single US $11.82 Buy It Now 1h 19m
AMERICA 'You Can Do Magic' 1982 Japan 7"/45 vinyl single US $11.82 Buy It Now 1h 20m
RUBETTES 'I Can Do It' 1975 German 7"/45 vinyl single US $5.90 Buy It Now 1h 20m
JULIE FELIX 'I Can't Touch The Sun' 1968 Scandinavian 7"/45 vinyl single US $6.74 Buy It Now 1h 20m
VILLAGE PEOPLE 'Can't Stop The Music' 1980 Japan 7"/45 vinyl single US $11.82 Buy It Now 1h 20m
THE CASINOS "THEN YOU CAN TELL ME GOODBYE" ORIG '67 DUTCH PS 7" PRESIDENT LABEL US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
JOE COCKER " LUXURY YOU CAN AFFORD " 8 TRACK TAPE CARTRIDGE US $3.00 [0 bids]
Mommy, I Can't Sleep US $17.41 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Can You Forgive Her - Part 1 & 2 EX US $25.68 Buy It Now 1h 22m
THE STYLE COUNCIL Promised land-2versions/Can you still love me-2 versions 12" US $13.52 Buy It Now 1h 23m
DARTS 'Daddy Cool/The Girl Can't Help It' 1977 German 7"/45 vinyl single US $5.05 Buy It Now 1h 23m
VAN HALEN 'Why Can't This Be Love' 1986 UK 7"/45 vinyl single US $6.74 Buy It Now 1h 23m
BEE GEES Stayin' Alive / If I Can't Have You 1977 OZ 45 US $9.28 Buy It Now 1h 24m
ENYA " HOW CAN I KEEP FROM SINGING " 7" SINGLE PIC SLEEVE 1991 US $4.21 Buy It Now 1h 25m
James Brown I Can Feel That Old Feeling Coming On/Chonnie R&Bl Vinyl 45 Listen US $11.82 Buy It Now 1h 26m
WE CAN KEEP THIS TOGETHER US $4.16 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (The Complete Sessions 1991-1993) US $4.16 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Baby Can I Hold You [CD 2] US $4.16 Buy It Now 1h 27m
REO SPEEDWAGON YOU CAN TUNE A PIANO HALF SPEED MASTERED EPIC HE 45082 US $12.50 [3 bids]
Conway Twitty 45 Desperado Love / I Can't See Me Without You 1982 Vinyl Record US $2.84 Buy It Now 1h 29m
DEAD CAN DANCE Wake 2CD set New Russian Press US $15.90 Buy It Now 1h 29m
PHIL COLLINS least you can dowake up call CD 3 track b/w hey now sunshine (ew260 US $10.12 Buy It Now 1h 30m
STATUS QUO IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT 1978 VINYL LP +INNER LYRIC SLEEVE*N /MINT US $16.82 Buy It Now 1h 31m
SHIRLEY BASSEY Who Can I Turn To? Columbia UK 1964 7" US $6.74 Buy It Now 1h 33m
THE IVY LEAGUE Funny How Love Can Be Ex- Piccadilly 1965 UK 7" US $6.74 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Genesis ?- We Can't Dance US $25.00 [0 bids]
Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? by The Cranberries (CD,... US $7.50 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Mystery Jets You can't fool me Dennis 7" vinyl single US $8.43 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Elton John Mama Can't Buy You Love 45 rpm Record Three Way Love Affair Mint US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
BEATLES CAN'T BUY ME LOVE / YOU CAN'T DO THAT 45 7" ODEON JAPAN BLACK WAX RARE US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
1979 Robert Palmer Can We Still Be Friends / Remember To Remember 45 rpm NM US $4.80 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Can - Future Days ( German Lp - Spoon Records ) US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
ALQUIN NOBODY CAN WAIT FOREVER LP CHEAP US $10.12 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Jerry Wallace I Can See An Angle Walking & Life's A Holiday US $2.22 [0 bids]
Paper Lace Can You Get It When You Want It & The Night Chicago Died US $2.22 [0 bids]
Pete Seeger In Concert - I Can See A New Day (LP) US $8.45 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Ray Charles You Don't Know Me, Careless Love,Born To Lose, I Can't Stop Loving Y US $2.22 [0 bids]
The Only One I Know (w/Imperial 109, Everything Changed, & You Can Talk to Me) - US $7.87 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Patsy Cline Why Can't He Be You & Heartaches 31429 US $4.44 [0 bids]
PURE PRAIRIE LEAGUE CAN'T HOLD BACK US $7.99 [0 bids]
Dottie Price 45 CAN'T GIVE YOU BACK YOUR HEART / GREEN VALLEY ~ VG+ pop country US $1.65 Buy It Now 1h 45m
J.David Sloan 45 HEAVEN HELP MY SOUL / LOVE CAN'T ALWAYS BE ~ Starday VG+ Canada US $2.10 Buy It Now 1h 45m
The Fourmost (dj vocal group) 45 WHY I CAN'T HAVE YOU / TWIST~ LuPine~ VG+ r+b US $23.09 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Veda Brown 45 SHORT STOPPING / CAN SEE EVERY WOMAN'S MAN...~ VG+ to VG++ US $6.54 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Cliff Dawson 45 I CAN LOVE YOU BETTER / w.Renee Diggs NEVER SAY I DO~ VG++ soul US $4.62 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Marquees 45 HALO OF YOUR LOVE / CAN IT BE WRONG ~ Do-Ra-Me VG doo wop US $19.24 Buy It Now 1h 45m
The Parliments I Wanna Testify & I Can Feel The Ice Melting US $3.33 [0 bids]
ANDY GIBB & OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN I Can't Help It Ex- RSO 1980 UK 7" US $6.74 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Marillion - No One Can CD US $12.66 Buy It Now 1h 49m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Rite Time ratings distribution

CAN Rite Time reviews

Review by corbet
2 stars uhh, what is this album? Before I bought it, I remember reading reviews calling it "CAN's return to form." If this is CAN's form, then CAN's form sucks horribly. However, the pure retardedness of this music makes it somehow soothing in a chaotic world, and I will throw it on every now and then just to comfort myself. I love these weirdos.

Send comments to corbet (BETA) | Report this review (#23319) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 07, 2004

Review by soundsweird
2 stars One would think that a 10-year layoff would have those creative juices flowing at maximum, but such is not the case. It looks like Can, it sounds like Can.... I think this album was the result of one of the many spikes in Can interest that are generated periodically, with money being the main impetus for its creation. Once again, I'll say avoid anything after "Saw Delight", except for some good solo albums, of course.

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#23320) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars The surprise reunion in the mid-1980s of the original late '60s line-up of CAN must have caught a lot of fans by surprise, arriving as it did after a decade of silence from the band at large. And it sounded like nothing the group had ever done before, least of all the crude but quintessential Krautrock of their debut album "Monster Movie", released a full generation earlier, back when the band was (unfortunately, to native English speakers) still known as THE CAN.

But how could it have sounded the same? CAN was a band that rarely (if ever) repeated itself, and this particular set of musicians hadn't played together for something close to 15 years, ever since vocalist Malcolm Mooney was forced to quit the music business (at the insistence of his shrink, according to CAN legend).

The chance discovery years later of an unused airline ticket voucher behind his couch led Mooney to resume contact with his erstwhile bandmates, who by then had all but abandoned the spent force of their once formidable alliance. But a recording session in southern France soon followed, and the resulting album has to rank among the most belated follow-up efforts in rock music history.

The years apart at least seemed to have recharged their creative batteries, showing some of the energy and intuition conspicuously missing in the band's last few studio albums. The music is certainly more song-driven than before, but each track was clearly built out of some impromptu collective jamming, over which Mooney improvised his meandering, stream-of-consciousness (and typically out of tune) vocals. The singer's strictly amateur "performance" is (as in "Monster Movie") an acquired taste, but it fits snugly within the CAN ideal of pure, unrehearsed musicianship: "instant composition", in CAN vernacular. And there's something uniquely endearing about his habit of singing "something, something." when he can't think of any actual words.

The remaining instrumentation is, as always, flexible. Guitarist Michael Karoli could sub on violin when needed; drummer Jaki Liebezeit doubled on trumpet and piano. And Holger Czukay was always more comfortable "playing" a short-wave radio rather than his bass guitar, when he wasn't indulging his perverse fascination with the French horn (played with all the enthusiasm and skill of a grade school band beginner, and all the more vital for it).

Don't expect anything like the raw Krautrock thrashes of their early LPs. But anyone wanting to compare apples to oranges might find more similarities than expected. The production here has a polished, high-gloss sheen unheard of in the band's two-track tape days, but with only a slight stretch of imagination you can still draw a (relatively) straight line from older Mooney tunes like "Fall of Another Year" and "Connection" (both off the 1976 "Unlimited Edition" set) to the new album opener "On the Beautiful Side of a Romance" or the driving groove of "Movin' Right Along".

The element of chance, so invaluable to CAN's best recordings (but lacking from later efforts), is also alive and well, albeit in a more (dare I say it?) mature form. But on closer inspection the album may not be as haphazard as it likes to sound. Look at the odd chronology: it was recorded in 1986, mixed in 1988, and finally "edited" and released in 1989. Why the long delay? My guess is that the songs were painstakingly assembled, bar by bar, on the editing table from a jumble of loosely organized segments. If it's true, someone (probably Holger Czukay, whose solo albums are monuments to early sampling technology) made a heroic effort to make the album sound as cohesive as it does.

And the symmetry of the project makes perfect sense, rounding off twenty years of sometimes startling creative music-making with the same quintet that started it all. It's a fitting bookend to a long and (still) influential career, and not a bad encore for a bunch of guys all (with the exception of the younger Michael Karoli) near 50 years old when the album was finally released.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45663) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 05, 2005

Review by Tom Ozric
3 stars The name 'Can' within the music world was almost something relating to a bygone era by the time 'Rite Time' had appeared in 1989. This album, actually recorded in '87, shelved, mixed in '88, shelved, finally prepared for release during '89 by Holger Czukay, demonstrated a group of musicians that had polished their 'chops' and releasing something which was almost a convincing, mainstream product that was (possibly) aimed at winning a legion of new fans, and maybe becoming a new lease-of-life for the fans of old - that's the way I understand it to be, but it didn't quite work out that way. 'Rite Time' tried too hard to be an acceptable item, both commercially, and nostalgically, and hence only featured shades of brilliance. The line-up was once again the 'classic' one of MONSTER MOVIE infamy with dear Malcolm Mooney on vox, Czukay on Bass and Horn, Liebezeit on Percussion, Karoli on Guitars and Schmidt handling the modern keyboards (no trippy Farfisa Organs or Alpha 77 synthi this time around) , the choice tunes of the album are the longer cuts : 'On The Beautiful Side of a Romance' being one of Can's most accomplished compositions, 'Like a New Child' and 'Give The Drummer Some' showing elements of the free-spirited jamming that was their trademark during the 70's. The shorter tunes are quirky, catchy and slightly demented thanks to Mooney's ranting - for me, I say it's worth it for the Beautiful Romance track alone, so, generously award it a 3 star rating.

Send comments to Tom Ozric (BETA) | Report this review (#164707) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 23, 2008

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars It's hard to make sense of the hate Can keeps receiving on PA. Ok, they are possibly at the farthest end from mainstream prog as you can get, but Rite Time is such an original and deserving album that gets close to no recognition again, despite the excellent material it has to offer.

Rite Time welcomes the return of Malcolm Mooney, the Can vocalist of the earliest days. Mental problems made him break with the band in 1970, but he sounds like he's back in great shape here (at least if you are attracted to the idea of Captain Beefheart in a delirious state). The album features a new sound and a wide variety of styles that preceding Can albums only hinted at. Which is logical, Can wouldn't have reunited if they didn't have something new to offer.

This album is one of a kind in their discography and while it aligns with innovative spirit of Can, the approach is more restrained and takes Can's known affinity with avant-garde, new-wave and world music to a new 80s context. The two Tuxedo Moon fans and three Japan/Sylvian fans on this site should watch out for this one. There are multiple essential Can pieces here. The opener for instance is certainly amongst my favorite 'songs' from the band. Also the demented reggae of The Without Law Man , the bouncy Moving Right Along, the spacious Like a New Child and the mysterious In the Distance Lies the Future register as mandatory Can to me.

Even for fans of the band it's nearly impossible to predict if you would appreciate this album or not. Not because the quality is questionable, but because this David Sylvian type of avant-garde rock might be too far removed from the vintage free-form 70s Can sound. It certainly took me a couple of tries over the years but I'm so glad I kept trying.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#336202) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 27, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars The Monster Movie lineup, together again. Mooney apparently felt the grip of nostalgia after finding an old airplane ticket dating to his days in the band, but I'm not sure what exactly drove the others to decide to get back together for this (it wasn't for commercial reasons, that's for sure). My guess, though, is that it was decided early on that this was just going to be a one time thing, that they weren't going to try and make this into a serious 'renaissance,' but instead would just get together, have another fling, and that would be that. The result will naturally disappoint any fan hoping for a return to the good ole days, but come on; the band hadn't made one of those kinds of albums for well over a decade by the time they got together to start recording this.

This isn't a particularly good album, but it isn't a bad one either, and given the choice between having to listen to all of Monster Movie or this again, I'd likely pick this one. Mooney, surprisingly, is in good form throughout; I mean, he doesn't have much of a voice, but he never goes into overboard screaming fits or into endless repeated mumbling, and that's at least something. The rest of the band basically sounds like what you'd expect Can crossed (to varying degrees) with generic 80's music to sound like. Jaki isn't his former beast self, and he's got some electronic augmentation, but heck, he had some of that in the 70's, and he doesn't sound like a hack, so he's fine. Schmidt's gotten a bit too fond of generic adult contemporary sounds (especially in the longest song on the album, "Like a New Child," which oddly enough also has some really ugly noises as well), but he gets a couple of moments where you can tell it's him. And Karoli and Czukay, well, they're what they've always been.

Since nobody really cares about track-by-track analysis for a late 80's Can album, I'll just mention a select few standouts. The opening "On the Beautiful Side of a Romance" would be better if it were shorter and didn't have so many parts where the limitations of Mooney's voice are put on full display, but it has a nice atmosphere and just a little bit of the "danger" feel of old. "The Withoutlaw Man" is an amusing piece that kinda sounds like late-90's Tom Waits, except slightly cheerier and two octaves higher (and with more guitar), "Below This Level (Patient's Song)" is a sorta jazzy-poppy sci-fi number that's definitely ... unique ... and "Hoolah Hoolah" is the best I could imagine a track being that features Mooney and backing harmonies 'singing' lines like "They do wear pants in the southern side of France." And dig the circus organs in the background!

The other tracks aren't so great, but they're not horrendous, and in the end I can safely give this a decent grade. The world could have survived had a song like "Hoolah Hoolah" never been done, but it's one of the more delightful absurdities I've taken part of in my life, and quite a bit of this album is recommendable to an eclectic. Of course, hardcore Can fans will probably hate it, and non-hardcore Can fans probably wouldn't be looking for albums like this in the first place, but whatever.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#423686) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 27, 2011

4 stars Frank Zappa once pondered - Does Humour Belong In Music? RITE TIME is one of the funniest records I know of. If you take it seriously you'll miss the whole point. The lyrics are more important here than the music (a first for this band), and since they were written by a guy with moderately s ... (read more)

Report this review (#35312) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Rite Time"