BLUES PROJECT - LIVE

Jon Lord

Jon Lord Blues Project - Live album cover

Buy JON LORD Music
Live, released in 2011

1. Back at the Chicken Shack (6:14)
2. Houchie Couchie Man (6:28)
3. Wishing Well (5:39)
4. It Never Rains But It Pours (4:13)
5. Fog On the Highway (7:34)
6. Lazy (4:51)
7. Walkin' Blues (5:48)
8. Way Down in the Hole (3:22)
9. Houston (Scotland) (4:30)
10. Respect Yourself (6:33)
11. When a Blind Man Cries (5:16)
12. I'm a Man (5:09)

Total time 65:37

Search JON LORD Blues Project - Live lyrics

Search JON LORD Blues Project - Live tabs

- Jon Lord / Hammond organ
- Miller Anderson / guitar and vocals (2, 5, 9, 11, 12)
- Maggie Bell / vocals (3, 6, 8, 10, 12)
- Colin Hodgkinson / bass and vocals (7)
- Zoot Money / keyboards and vocals (4, 6, 10)
- Pete York / drums

CD Serious Comedy (2011)

Thanks to NotAProghead for the addition

JON LORD MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy JON LORD Blues Project - Live Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Celebrating Jon Lord [Blu-ray]Celebrating Jon Lord [Blu-ray]
Multiple Formats · Blu-ray · Import
Imports 2014
Blu-ray$19.74
Celebrating Jon Lord Celebrating Jon Lord "The Rock Legend"
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2014
To Notice Such ThingsTo Notice Such Things
Avie 2010
Celebrating Jon Lord Celebrating Jon Lord "The Composer"
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2014
Before I ForgetBefore I Forget
Remastered · Import
101 DISTRIBUTION 2012

More places to buy JON LORD music online Buy JON LORD & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for JON LORD DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

JON LORD Blues Project - Live ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(67%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(17%)

JON LORD Blues Project - Live reviews

Review by Gatot
4 stars An excellent blues live record

Oh man ....this is really an excellent blues live record that I really enjoy it from start to end, without any signs of getting bored. It's basically a recorded live from the show at Rottweil Jazzfestival on May 14, 2011 and features classic blues songs written by Willie Dixon and Robert Johnson as well as more compositions by Deep Purple, Free and Tom Waits. Since Jon Lord left Deep Purple, I was not following his activities and I am now happy that he is still producing music even though no longer in rock arena. It;s OK. Please don't get surprised why this blues work is featured here. Well, if we look at history, Jon's solo album like Sarabande was actually a progressive music. He is now evolving into blues musician focusing more on Hammond organ backed with other musicians, including legendary drummer Pete York.

Listening to this record is to me like a refreshment having listened to many prog albums. Well, in fact I love blues as I have collected many CDs of John Mayall, BB Kings and the rest. This live set opens with a beautiful Hammond organ solo by Jon Lord in "Back At The Chicken Shack" (James O. Smith). This instrument piece is really killing and it has successfully set the overall tone and vibes of the show. There are jazzy piano solo in the middle of the track that is really nice, combined with blues rock guitar work by Miller Anderson. Miller Anderson then take a vocal part on the next track "Hoochie Coochie Man" (Willie Dixon). Again there are great parts of Hammond and piano solo followed nicely with guitar work.

Free's "Wishing Well" was sung excellently by Maggie Bell. Her voice that actuailly suits for R&B music sounds really nice here and it gives different sort of experience compared with traditional blues female vocal like Janis Joplin, for example. I can sense good drum playing by Pete York in this track. "It Never Rains But It Pours" starts nicely with piano followed by vocal work by Zoot Money. I like the Hammond organ and guitar work. Well, Jon Lord is still kicking!

"Lazy" by Deep Purple has become a legendary track that has grown with me since I was teenager. In fact it was part of my daily routine to play the Made In Japan cassette of Deep Purple as I love this track. The good thing is that this time Jon has completely rearranged the music to suit blues and jazz requirements and he is successful! Don't worry, the song does not radically transform into new totally different track. Rather, Jon is very smart by keeping the opening melody of the track that has been so legendary intact. What happen is that the nice flow of music which then changes smoothly into blues / jazz arena with duet vocal of Maggie Bell and Zoot Money. There is also another great performance of I'm a Man which was popularized by Chicago. The other Deep Purple track is When a Blind Man Cries.

Overall, I highly recommend this excellent blues performance by Jon Lord and his band. The performance of all contributors are really excellent. In fact the bass player (Collin Hodgkinson) was given a chance to provide his solo work in Walking Blues. It's a captivating bass guitar solo backed with great applause from the crowd. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#600756) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 01, 2012

Post a review of JON LORD "Blues Project - Live"