IN THE PRESENT - LIVE FROM LYON

Yes In The Present - Live From Lyon album cover

Buy YES Music
Live, released in 2011

1. Siberian Khatru (10:40)
2. I've Seen All Good People (7:17)
3. Tempus Fugit (6:06)
4. Onward (4:39)
5. Astral Traveller (8:49)
6. Yours Is No Disgrace (13:23)
7. And You And I (11:27)
8. Corkscrew (3:49)
9. Owner Of A Lonely Heart (6:06)
10. South Side Of The Sky (10:44)
11. Machine Messiah (11:42)
12. Heart Of The Sunrise (11:43)
13. Roundabout (9:35)
14. Starship Trooper (13:08)

Total Time

- Alan White / drums
- Oliver Wakeman / keyboards
- Benoit David / lead vocals

Frontiers Records 2011

Thanks to toroddfuglesteg for the addition
and to J-Man for the last updates

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES In The Present - Live From Lyon Music

Songs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary ConcertSongs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary Concert
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2014
the yes album US $8.00 [0 bids]
31m 35s
Bobby Lewis :Tossin' And Turnin' / Oh Yes I Love You US $4.99 [0 bids]
32m 54s
VARIOUS: Yes L.a. LP (reissue, picture disc) Punk/New Wave US $25.00 Buy It Now 36m
Original Members Of Yes by Rick Wakeman - CD / 9 Tracks US $7.50 Buy It Now 36m 17s
GHOST KNIFE - KILL SHELTER YES NEW CD US $17.00 Buy It Now 36m 21s
(AC410) Yes No Maybe, Chanty Poe - DJ CD US $4.85 Buy It Now 41m 31s
YES/LEAVE IT JPN P1845 US $8.00 Buy It Now 48m 32s
The Yes Album Atlantic Records SD 8283 VG+ Vinyl VG Cover US $0.99 [1 bids]
49m 24s
YES - Self Titled s/t DEBUT 1969 (EX-EX) Prog Psych Rock US $24.99 Buy It Now 49m 58s
1K CARISCH ITALY PEPPINO DI CAPRI E I SUOI ROCKERS YES THANNO VISTA DOMENICA US $19.99 [0 bids]
52m 29s
THE CLASH ZZ Top YES THIN LIZZY Gary Moore SAMPLER Made in Europe PROMO DJ CD US $34.99 Buy It Now 52m 57s
PATRICK MORAZ The Story Of I (Virgin Records CDOVD 446) CD; Moody Blues, YES US $14.57 Buy It Now 53m 10s
The Age Of Atlantic Rare Various Artist Album Led Zeppelin MC5 Yes Clapton US $9.71 [0 bids]
53m 15s
YES The Yes Album Original Japan Import LP W/Obi & Inserts Prog N.Mint A Beauty! US $45.99 Buy It Now 1h
Original Album Series - Yes US $19.27 Buy It Now 1h
Led Zeppelin King Crimson Yes more LP / Heavies for Apr US $9.90 Buy It Now 1h
Tommy Dorsey 78 Will You Still Be Mine / Yes Indeed Jazz Record Victor 27421 NM- US $6.99 [0 bids]
1h
Jam & Spoon's Hands On YELLO-You gotta Say Yes To Another Excess PZ343 12" vinyl US $8.09 [0 bids]
YES - Union - 1991 - CD - ARCD-8643 - UPC 7822-18643-2 - 14 Tracks US $2.99 [0 bids]
Yes! by Chad Brock (CD) NEW & SEALED! US $5.59 Buy It Now 1h 8m
DAVID CROSBY "OH YES I CAN" CASSETTE 1989 a&m US $4.50 Buy It Now 1h 9m
DINAH SHORE - 24 Carat Gold Disc LP - DINAH,YES INDEED US $210.75 Buy It Now 1h 10m
yes programme / tour book 1984 '90125' plus ticket US $32.34 [0 bids]
Yes - Close to the Edge US 1st pressing NM- US $69.95 Buy It Now 1h 14m
2 FOR 1 SALE YES The Very Best Of Highlights CD & 38 Special Flashback CD US $3.00 [0 bids]
YES Affirmative 'Yes Solo Family Album' (Connoisseur VSOP CD 190) CD; Prog Rock US $16.20 Buy It Now 1h 15m
YES Astral Traveller (Brilliant BT 33019) CD US $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 16m
YES Roundabout "The Best Of Yes - Live" (Music Club MCCD 524) CD US $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 17m
YES The Yes Album (Elektra/Rhino 8122-73788-2) CD US $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 18m
The Date With Soul- Yes Sir That's My Baby/Bee Side Soul 7" 45 RARE! YORK PROMO US $19.99 [0 bids]
90125 (Expanded & Remastered) (Bonus Tracks) - Yes US $6.18 Buy It Now 1h 18m
FRAGILE BY YES (CD) US $11.75 Buy It Now 1h 19m
YES Yes + Friends (Recall/Snapper Music SMDCD476) 2CD US $14.57 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Yes - 90125 lp 90125-1 ATCO Records US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
YES Yes-Today (Recall/Snapper Music SMDCD375) 2CD US $14.57 Buy It Now 1h 19m
SWEET SENSATION surething yes I do / sad sweet dreamer 45 PYE ---soul--- VG/VG+ US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 22m
YES / HIGHLIGHTS : THE VERY BEST OF YES / CASSETTE TAPE / ATLANTIC (TURKEY) US $5.27 Buy It Now 1h 26m
SENSATIONS - YES SIR THAT'S MY BABY b/w SYMPATHY - ATCO 45 - MAROON LBL US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 29m
STEVE HOWE~Beginnings~YES~1975 Atlantic LP~Plays EX+~Sleeve EX US $14.57 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Unrest Yes She Is My Skinhead Girlfriend 7" With Insert US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Yes-The yes album US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
James Brown-It's A Man's Man's World b/w Is It Yes Or Is It No-UK PYE 7N 25371 US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 31m
PET SHOP BOYS YES RARE DJ CD ARGENTINA PROMO US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
YES "Tales from Topographic Oceans" Double LP Records Atlantic No Bar Code US $9.69 [0 bids]
YES "YES SHOWS" " Double LP Records Atlantic No Bar Code SD 2-510 US $9.69 [0 bids]
Baccara - 'Yes Sir, I Can Boogie' - 1977. US $3.24 [0 bids]
YES YESSHOWS LP DOUBLE LIVE GATEFOLD K60142 ATLANTIC PINK FLOYD GENESIS US $4.85 [1 bids]
Sensations~Yes Sir That's My Baby*VG+! US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $4.50 Buy It Now 1h 42m
YES YESTERDAYS RARE JAPAN REPLICA EXACT TO THE ORIGINAL LP IN A OBI LIMITED HDCD US $199.99 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Best of 80's Pop: Party Songs, a-ha, Todd Rundgren, Devo, Yes, , Good US $1.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Johnny Ace - Yes, Baby / Saving My Love For You - Duke 118 - 1953 US $17.50 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Yes I Am - Etheridge, Melissa - Audio CD - Very Good Condition US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Yes Magnification/Talk EU 2-CD Set (2008) "Don't Go"/"Walls"/"Endless Dream" VG+ US $12.74 Buy It Now 1h 48m
JON ANDERSON (Yes) 3 Ships ORIGINAL 1985 ELEKTRA 60469-1 LP EX Christmas/Prog US $5.00 [0 bids]
YES + RICK WAKEMAN 2014 UK Tour Flyer Sheffield Events Programme ticket info US $4.85 Buy It Now 1h 51m
POLYPHONIC SPREE-YES, IT'S TRUE-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK E25 US $22.50 Buy It Now 1h 51m
YES - Keys to Ascension (1998 CDx4) **PLUS** the limited 4 Roger Dean cards US $25.92 [0 bids]
Yes. No. Shut It. by Hunches (The) (CD, Nov-2002, In the Red Records) US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Yes Drama UK vinyl LP album record K50736 ATLANTIC 1980 US $16.20 Buy It Now 1h 56m
YES - Symphonic Music of Yes rare Cassette BRAND NEW US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Yes, The Blues/Clark Terry Pablo Today 92312127 Near Mint/Near Mint Black Vinyl US $9.98 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Yes 2x LP Long Beach Arena California Pigs Eye press Not TMOQ US $32.41 [0 bids]
Union by Yes (CD, Feb-2003, Bmg / Arista ) US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Pet Shop Boys-"Yes" (Special Album Megamix PROMO CD, Astralwerks) --MEGA RARE-- US $55.99 Buy It Now 2h 3m
YES - CLOSE TO THE EDGE [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $6.07 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Yes 2x LP Stellar Attraction Boston 74 SODD 008 Not TMOQ US $32.41 [0 bids]
Yes LP Sorceror's Apprentice Hollywood bowl 75 White label Not TMOQ US $32.41 [1 bids]
Yes - Going For The One - Atlantic Records Vinyl LP Tri-Fold Sleeve K50379 VG/VG US $3.65 [0 bids]
Pet Shop Boys-"Yes" (Special Album Megamix PROMO CD, Astralwerks) --MEGA RARE-- US $55.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Yes, Owner of a lonely Heart LP#0-96976 (VG)12" US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
YES "90215" LP US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
THE SENSATIONS / Let Me In & Oh Yes, I'll Be True / RARE NORTHERN SOUL 45-ARGO US $24.99 [0 bids]
BELTONE R&B rocker 45 BOBBY LEWIS - Yes Oh Yes It Did + Mamie In Afternoon NICE US $4.00 [0 bids]
BOB GIBSON**YES I SEE**CD US $6.91 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Cat Curtiss Sunnyview 45 Record #3002 NM Yes I Love You / I Won't Let You Go US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 20m
YES vinyl lp record 9012LIVE THE SOLOS 1985 ATCO RECORDS 790 474 -1 US $7.83 [0 bids]
Yello 3 CD Lot * Flag, One Second & You Gotta Say Yes To Another Excess US $7.99 [0 bids]
STEVE HURLEY - SAS - ED HUNTER - FIRST YOU SAY YES! 12" INCH SINGLE VINYL GARAGE US $6.47 [0 bids]
YES/ ROUNDABOUT ROCK PROGRESSIVE RARE SPANISH "PROMO" ISSUE SINGLE 7" US $20.50 [0 bids]
YES 90125 33 LP ATCO 1983 90125-1 tested works US $4.98 [0 bids]
YES/ DONīT KILL THE WHALE ROCK PROGRESSIVE RARE SPANISH ORIGINAL ISSUE SINGLE 7" US $25.50 [0 bids]
JAMES PASTELL Hell Yes I Cheated / Woman Of The World 45 NM NOS On Paula US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
VARIOUS - The Prog Rock Album (2007 CD) Yes, Genesis, Family, Gong, The Nice US $6.47 [0 bids]
CHAD BROCK - YES! -CD US $3.00 [0 bids]
Marillion "Script For A Jester's Tear" LP Fish Genesis Rush Julian Cope Saga Yes US $7.99 [0 bids]
Kim Arrington - Getting Ii Yes [CD New] US $14.98 Buy It Now 2h 44m
YES tormato LP Mint- SD 19202 Atlantic USA 1978 Record Original US $13.50 Buy It Now 2h 45m
(CD) RICK WAKEMAN - Rock N' Roll Prophet Plus / UK Import / YES US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Polyphonic Spree Yes It's True LP Good GRR 27 2013 Vinyl New/Sealed US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
YES THE YES ALBUM SEALED CD NEW REMASTERED US $3.75 Buy It Now 2h 49m
7" SINGLE.rock.YES.1977.GOING FOR THE ONE.prog.ATLANTIC US $1.60 [0 bids]
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $0.99 Buy It Now 3h 2m
YES 90125 LP 1983 ATCO EXCELLENT CONDITION!! US $3.99 [0 bids]
Yes - 90125 (1983) Atco "Owner of a Lonely Heart" LP album record US $6.95 Buy It Now 3h 4m
YES - TORMATO [BONUS TRACKS] [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $5.98 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Lot Of 47 Vintage Records Beatles Zepplin Yes Sinatra Cole Floyd Stones Frampton US $34.99 [0 bids]
Large Vintage 2 1/2" Diameter Steve Howe Yes Pin Badge US $6.00 [5 bids]
TOMMY DORSEY LP yes indeed! VG++ vinyl RECORD album RCA LPM 1229 DG MONO SWING US $1.99 [0 bids]
? YES THE YES ALBUM ReMastered & Expanded MINT OOP CD + BONUS Tracks ABWH PROG ? US $8.09 [0 bids]

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES In The Present - Live From Lyon ratings distribution

YES In The Present - Live From Lyon reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'In The Present - Live From Lyon' - Yes (8/10)

Without a doubt one of the best known and loved classic prog rock bands, Yes have a legacy and influence in music that few could parallel. Like a few of their lucky contemporaries, regardless of what they do now, they are virtually guaranteed a status as legends, not to mention one of my favourite bands. Despite being around for several decades going, Yes has struck a chord of controversy this past year over one major change in their sound; a new vocalist. While 'Fly From Here' showed the band playing 'somewhat' fresh material however, it's not until this live album where fans of Yes around the world will get to hear how new addition Benoit David matches up to the original Jon Anderson. Barring this point of interest, 'Live From Lyon' is a strong Yes concert experience, reliving some of the band's best-known and greatest songs.

Although only guitarist Steve Howe and bassist Chris Squire remain from the classic Yes lineup, the sound of this band is tight and suitably authentic. Although the music is aging, I hear it played here with an energy that proves that the band has still got it. As with any live album, the song choice is an important factor here, and with decades of music to choose from, Yes seems to have balanced their set between the best-known tunes, and some of their most classic prog pieces. It is also worth mentioning that, at over two hours in length, 'Live From Lyon' gives a pretty start-to-finish concert listening experience for Yes, or at least Yes as they are today. With that in mind, it is a time-consuming effort to get through the entire thing in one sitting, but for a fan intent on reliving the concert experience, 'Live From Lyon' gives a better 'live' impression than most live albums to have come out this year.

'Siberian Khatru' and 'Yours Is No Disgrace' both tear down the house, whereas softer works like the immortal 'And You And I' balance off the sound with a softness and warmth that isn't lost in translation to the stage. Of course, the main thing fans of Yes are going to notice- and possibly attack- the performance for is the fact that, despite playing the songs of Yes, this is not the band as they are classically known. Fractionally speaking, 'Live From Lyon' is more un-Yes than Yes, with three members- including vocalist Benoit David- coming in to replace. Musically however, there is little truly lost; in fact, there are many times throughout the album where I think it is the real band playing, and I think other listeners will run into this as well. Especially impressing is Benoit's vocal delivery, who often sounds spot on for Jon Anderson's distinctive high register. Having played in Yes tribute bands (as well as his own band Mystery), Benoit has nailed the impersonation, although he sometimes lacks the feeling in his voice that makes Anderson's singing so warm to me.

Live albums are often a fans-only ordeal for me. After all, what newcomer to a band would want to hear a less-pristine recording of a song, over the belch and wail of a crowd? Although 'Live From Lyon' would be far from the first place I would point to a Yes initiate however, the production value and musical quality here, as well as the contrast between old and new, makes this one of the most notable live albums to come out in progressive rock this year.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#590058) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 17, 2011

Review by Tom Ozric
4 stars Ah yes......I mean YES !!! What a high to go out on for 2011 !! YES are here in full-blown Sympho-Prog mode, offering us such classics as Siberian Khatru, Heart Of The Sunrise, South Side Of The Sky etc. but not many of us got the chance to hear what these old greats sound like with new vocalist Benoit David, and Wakeman Jnr holding the ever-important keyboards stool. AMAZING performance all 'round. This is an entire set recorded on December 1st, 2009 and you can really hear their hearts were in it. Surprising is the inclusion of such rarely performed tracks like Tempus Fugit, Machine Messiah (both from 1980's Drama album), the beautiful ballad Onward (from Tormato) and a real beauty in Astral Traveller (dating all the way back to Time And A Word, from early 1970). Benoit is a rare find for this band as his tone and delivery are a close approximation for Anderson, and this is a grand compliment !! Squire, White and Howe are all in fine form, especially Squire and his beautifully toned Rickenbacker bass. Wakeman's sounds are faithful and his playing, impeccable - just like his father, he loves his moog synth !! I find it difficult to pick fault with such a superb live album as this (discerning ears may discover something minor, under intense scrutiny..), and it's, of course, a very nice item on vinyl, though not as lavish as YESSONGS, the band's classic triple live album from 1973. A personal 5 star, though there is nothing revolutionary here.

Send comments to Tom Ozric (BETA) | Report this review (#591114) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 19, 2011

Review by Gatot
4 stars My prime motives to have this live set were two. First, and this has been a long awaited one, was the performance of tracks from 'Drama' album - an album where two major contributors of Yes were not involved in the recording,i.e. Jon Anderson (vox) and Rick Wakeman (keys). Second, to see how the new vocalist Benoit David measured up what had long been a major characteristic of Yes contributed by Jon Anderson. Recorded in Lyon, France, on December 1st 2009, "In The Present - Live from Lyon" is a collection of hidden gems and unforgettable classics, with new singer Benoit David breathing new life into each of the evergreen tracks. The package comes with a 55 minute DVD containing excerpts from the live performance, candid interviews and behind the scenes footage. The cover art features an original design by Roger Dean, author of most YES album covers including classics 'Fragile', 'Close To The Edge' and 'Drama'.

It's still YES ...!

There was an argument around the net where Jon said that without him was NOT Yes. The fact is, my view, I still get the Yes sound as I had been experiencing with Yes. I have no major issue at all having the voice of Benoit in Yes. In fact he can bring the voice of Yes throughout all tracks performed here in this live set. Congrats! Of course there is a difference between the two vocalist as voice is a God-given thing ....so you have to accept it. But ....let me assure you that you would not be disappointed with this record at all! In fact, I suggest you take the Keys to Ascension CDs and compare it with this live set CD. I bet you would love both of them!

In terms of classic setlist that have been regular in Yes live albums, I actually do not expect much. In this case, if the performance is as the previous ones, I would consider it as an excellent one. For example the opening live track Siberian Khatru. I think the performance is standard of Yes and I consider it as an excellent one. But if you ask me which one is the best, I would choose the legendary Yessongs live set as the best Siberian Khatru played live. That version was really fantastic and it's been the all-time favorite of Yes live track. It's probably because of being preceded by Firebird Suite. Whatever the reason, I love that 70's Siberian Khatru. But don't get me wrong, this live set version is also excellent.

I've Seen All Good People is also another excellent performance as it has been performed nicely by Yes. The other classic live set that I find it interesting is Astral Traveller as this is performed a bit different than the studio version. The thing that makes it really interesting is the Alan White's drum solo that sounds really excellent. I am amazed with his age he still can play excellent drumming plus solo in this track. Yours is No Disgrace is also excellently performed by the band with a some differences from other versions where Steve Howe's guitar solo sounds smoother in style and it has many segments that feature his guitar solo combined with Chris Squire bass work. The track is still kicking! I like the guitar solo at the ending part. For those of you who like the guitar work of Howe, you will be definitely satisfied by this track - it's quite long and not boring at all!

South Side of The Sky is also having different style performed here as there is a great instrumental piece at the end part that makes this great song sounds differently. I have always loved this track as the Fragile album represented my early introduction to Yes in 70s, altogether with the Yessongs. This track is rich in nuances and it has powerful melody backed with inventive keyboard work and piano solo. I love the parts where it has this lyrical verse: "were we ever warmer on that day a million miles away / we seemed for all of eternity" and also the part where it has piano solo. And .. Oliver Wakeman can play the piano part as Rick played it. Wonderful!. The ending part with keyboard solo and guitar solo is really great. Heart of the Sunrise is also greaaaaat ......!!!

The Drama sessions

As I said, one of my motives was to experience Drama tracks played live. In this case there are two tracks: Tempus Fugit and Machine Messiah played live and recorded in this live set. By definition these two tracks were the most wonderful ones coming out from Drama (1980) album and they have been my all-time favorites. Tempus Fugit is a heavy prog style music with great vocal line and relatively fast tempo. Jon had never wanted to play this track because it was not originally sung by him. This is a wrong ego! he should think YES and he should consider customers (listeners) satisfaction because I am pretty sure many Yes fans like this track and Machine Messiah. Steve Howe's personality is different: he has no problem performing Owner of a Lonely Heart as he has Yes in his heart, unlike Jon who has wrong ego by not wanting to perform anything from Drama album! I hate this non- progressive behavior. He should have thought with progressive mind. It's like having Ian Gillan of Deep Purple not wanting to perform 'Burn' because it was not originally sung by him. What a short sighted thinking and very ego centric.

The other great track Machine Messiah is another long awaited track that I want to listen to the live version from official release not from bootleg in the internet. This is a symphonic progressive track that has been my other all-time favorite. I think the band played this track wonderfully in this live set and I can sense total satisfaction with the performance of this track right here Steve Howe and Oliver Wakeman play their parts really great here. I always repeat this track when I spin this live set. "Machine messiah ....." .. Oh man ...... What a great track!!!!

Conclusion

With its not so good new album "Fly From Here" that was not quite satisfying me, I consider the release of this live set really pleases me to the fullest and I have no major concerns having Benoit replacing Jon and Oliver replacing Rick. In fact, I also enjoy the Live from the House of Blues version of Awaken played by Igor instead of Rick. That suffice to say that Yes music composition is fundamentally great and we still can enjoy the music even if the players are NOT the original members. I remember that in 2009 I facilitated a tribute to Yes nite titled as "An Evening of Yes Music Plus" performed by Jakarta-based prog band called Parallels. They could play Yes tracks wonderfully. The band was contributed by two musicians from Discus (Indonesian prominent prog band): Kiki Caloh (bass guitar) and Krisna Prameswara (keyboard). Back to his live set, it's really an excellent addition to any prog music collection with a 4+ stars rating. Highly recommended. If you are a die hard fan of Yes, this live set is a MUST! Keep on proggin' ...!!!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#603918) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 06, 2012

Review by J-Man
3 stars When it comes to classic progressive rock, you'll have a tough time discussing the genre before Yes comes up conversationally. Their legacy is one that few bands can rival, and a long string of classic albums have made them a staple in nearly every rock fan's collection. The latest incarnation of Yes, which contains vocalist Benoit David in place of Jon Anderson, has been met with some controversy, but I've actually been quite pleased by what the band has to offer with their new vocalist - his performances on Fly From Here are excellent, and I also remember being quite impressed with his pipes when I saw Yes in a live setting a few years back. To showcase this new lineup, the band has also released a new double live album from their performance in Lyon, France on December 1, 2009. In the Present - Live From Lyon mostly shows the band performing their most classic tracks from the seventies', and it's clear that the band is as inspired as ever - Benoit David's vocals are consistently excellent, and the rest of these aging rockers also sound fresh and inspired. While I would've liked to see a bit more focus on new material, In the Present - Live From Lyon is still a well-performed and highly enjoyable live effort for any fan of Yes.

On this live album, you get some of Yes' mandatory classics like "Siberian Kathru", "I've Seen All Good People", "Owner of a Lonely Heart", and "Roundabout", as well as symphonic epics like "And You And I", "Southside of the Sky", and "Heart of the Sunrise". The band delivers all of the songs with a high level of professionalism, and the warmth found on the studio versions is never lost in the live setting. Killer performances of songs like "Siberian Kathru" and "Machine Messiah" prove that Yes is still far from running out of energy, and the tasteful Steve Howe acoustic guitar piece "Corkscrew" as well as the AOR track "Owner of a Lonely Heart" means that all sides of this multifaceted act are showcased throughout In the Present - Live From Lyon. While the setlist will unquestionably satisfy most Yes fans (myself included), I would've liked to see a few tunes from their more recent catalog. As difficult as it is to complain about an album with this many killer tracks, the fact that most of these songs are readily available on other live albums makes In the Present - Live From Lyon more of a fan item than an essential part of Yes' canon.

Though a few newer Yes songs would've enhanced my general opinion of In the Present - Live From Lyon, there's still no question that this is an immensely entertaining live experience. The quintet is at the top of their game throughout the full set, and the wealth of classic tunes should satisfy any fan of the band's masterpieces from the seventies'. As a sampler of what Oliver Wakeman and Benoit David are capable of as members of Yes, In the Present - Live From Lyon is a more than worthy taste of their abilities. While In the Present - Live From Lyon won't hold much appeal to Yes newcomers, it is a solid live experience of one of progressive rock's finest assets. I'd say 3.5 stars are well-deserved.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#605549) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 08, 2012

Review by memowakeman
4 stars The only experience we had with an Anderson-less Yes was in the 80s with the Drama album, but now since 2010 he left the band after a long, long career, a French man named Benoit David took his place and challenged himself in order to fill those heavy shoes. However, he really suit in Yes' style since his voice is very alike to Jon Anderson's one, and since he really knows the band's music and goals. So when David joined the band, it was first called In the Present, which toured around the world giving some very good shows, at the point of recording and releasing one of them, from Lyon, France.

So this live album is an example of how Yes sounds in concert nowadays with the incorporation of this man, though the band's essence is the same with Squire, Howe and White, plus a Wakeman, not the original Rick, but one of his sons. Well, the beauty of this is that after more than 40 years of career the band still has a wonderful sound live, the same energy and the same quality as performers, if you do not believe me, I invite you to attend to one of their shows, or to get this album.

"In the Present ? Live from Lyon" is a two-CD live album that contains fourteen tracks that give us more than two hours of good music, in a trip to Yes discography, taking tracks from the 70s and 80s, and though I love the most of the songs here, I would have really loved to have at least a couple of passages of the "Fly From Here" album, which is the first Yes studio album with Benoit David as a full-time member. Anyway, put your headphones and listen to this excellent performance, which will make you have a very good experience.

In the first CD we will find classic songs such as "Siberian Khatru" which is opens the concert; along with "I've Seen All Good People", "Yours is no Disgrace" and "And You And I"; but we will also find lesser known pieces, but really good such as "Onward" (whose laid back sound really cause me goosebumps), "Astral Traveller" (with an Alan White's drum solo), or the addictive and intense "Tempus Fugit" taken from the Drama album. All of those tracks make a killer set list for the first part of the show, which finishes with "Corkscrew" a Steve Howe solo track in which we can appreciate his acoustic guitar skills.

The second CD contains six tracks but five out of them reach at least ten minutes. It opens with "Owner of a Lonely Heart" which might probably be the most successful Yes song, commercially speaking. And then, a feast of long, amazingly performed tracks begin. All of them are classic tracks that any Yes fan should know; songs from the 70s with the exception of "Machine Messiah" which is from the dramatic 80s (pun intended). So here we will really have a strong, solid batch of great classic tunes such as "Southside of the Sky", "Heart of the Sunrise", "Roundabout" and "Starship Trooper".

What a wonderful live show of this new Yes era. Recommendable for old, new, past and current fans of the band.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#615094) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 21, 2012

Review by Neu!mann
2 stars At the risk of sounding like a one-eyed man among the blind I have to say this two-disc concert recording deserves a nomination for the most pointless live album ever released. Even more so after the recent dismissal of lead singer Benoit David, since the primary reason for making the album in the first place was to consolidate David's already controversial position in the band, asserting his right to replace Jon Anderson by turning him loose in the Yes back catalogue.

A moot point now, but it likely would have failed even if David had stuck around a bit longer. His interpretation of classic Yes only reinforces the knee-jerk impression left by the "Fly From Here" album: that the new (and now former) Yes vocalist was little more than a wind- up facsimile of the band's original lead singer. Say what you will about Jon Anderson's fey personality, obscure lyrics, and often trite New Age mindset; he at least brought a passion to his performances totally lacking in this set.

And the weak link isn't just at the center microphone, either. On the DVD bonus disc David actually looks quite comfortable on stage, despite the obvious expectations weighing heavily on his shoulders. But the rest of the band was on autopilot for this gig, playing strictly rote versions of all the old chestnuts, and in the same order as always: opening with "Siberian Khatru", ending with the inevitable "Roundabout" and Starship Trooper", and with only a few unexpected choices ("Astral Traveler", "Tempus Fugit", "Machine Messiah") breaking the monotony of a very stale setlist.

Even worse, the songs are all (repeat: all) played at a curious sleepwalking tempo. The plodding delivery drains the lifeblood out of every selection, suggesting that this once dynamic outfit is finally showing its age, or else revealing at last their total indifference to such overtired material (the normally forceful "South Side of the Sky" is particularly numbing) . I had to test the CD on two different systems to verify it wasn't just my own stereo on the fritz. No such luck: the band itself is to blame, and it's only the charity of an old fan that forbids me from listing the (many) ugly details.

The irony is all-too obvious. After hiring a Jon Anderson impersonator (discovered by Chris Squire on You Tube!), one of Prog Rocks most iconic ensembles has morphed into just another Yes cover band. And not the sharpest one of the bunch, either.

In a less polite mood I might use words like 'travesty' and 'embarrassment' to describe this album, but enough is enough. I've given it an extra sympathy star for old time's sake, but otherwise the performances heard on these two discs (and seen on the third) represent the desiccated fossil of a once progressive giant.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#636834) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 20, 2012

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Prior to the release of Fly From Here, the Squire/Howe/White/David/O. Wakeman lineup did a fairly extensive amount of touring, and it was inevitable that a recording from that era would come out (this is from a December 2009 show, about a year after I last saw them). Aside from many of the standards, the band's shows featured some Drama material ("Machine Messiah," "Tempus Fugit") and a couple of tracks that had gotten shoved into a closet ("Astral Traveller," which Howe had been wanting to bring back for years, and "Onward," which Squire wanted since he'd written it). In terms of vocals, David is amazingly similar to Jon, and only a clear French-Canadian tinge to his voice betrays that it's not Jon singing here after all. The weak link, unfortunately, is Alan, who's clearly crossed a point of no return; "Tempus Fugit" is almost ruined by the careful, slow tempo that the band takes, and it becomes fairly apparent that this slow tempo (and others like it on the album) is to accomodate Alan.

Still, while Alan is clearly slower on that track and on a couple of others, his issues aren't especially noticable on most tracks, and the performances mostly work as passable additional renditions of these tracks. Steve continues his amazing march against father time; no, he's still not quite the same guitarist as he was in his prime, but he's become a master at accomodating whatever weaknesses he might now have and tinkering with his parts to make them enjoyable, even if in a slightly different way than he might have once upon a time (put another way, I far prefer his playing here to his playing on the KTA albums). I also quite admire how, after so many years if petulant resistance, he's finally put his own clear stamp on the entirety of "Owner of a Lonely Heart," whereas before he always seemingly wanted as little to do with it as possible. Squire sounds as fine as ever (he's even holding up pretty well on vocals), and Oliver is perfectly servicable.

If there's a clear reason to acquire this album, of course, it's to hear the resurrected version of "Machine Messiah." The keyboards are clearly slightly updated, and the song may have a little less menace than before, but the slow guitar crescendo in the beginning can't help but create a sense of giddy anticipation, and all of the great atmospherics and melodic ideas of the track live up to that anticipation. Yup, "Tempus Fugit" might be a disappointment, but the presence of "Machine Messiah" almost makes the whole fiasco with Jon leaving the band again worth it.

Of course, aside from this highlight (and to a lesser extent "Owner") and the novelty of having a live album with David on vocals, it's difficult to justify the need for this album, so I can't really give this a higher grade. It's definitely less satisfying, for instance, than the Live at Montreux 2003 album; that one may have had redundancy as well, but it also had Rick Wakeman playing Magnification material and the classic lineup playing "South Side" and Steve successfully condensing "To be Over" into four minutes on acoustic guitar. This is enjoyable, and hardcore Yes fans will want it, but not many others will.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#775220) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Review by Guillermo
3 stars Time inevitably passes.But some bands like Yes still need to work, not matter who is in the line-up anyway. Jon Anderson had to be replaced. He had health problems and they waited for four years for him to recover. So, finally, in 2008, they planned to do a tour to celebrate their 40th Anniversary as a band, with Oliver Wakeman replacing his father Rick who didnīt participate due to health reasons too. Unfortunately, Anderson became very sick, and had to leave the band. They saw Canadian singer Benoit David in youtube singing with a Yesītribute band , and they hired him as a temporary replacement. But by 2009 he became officially Yesī lead singer. I was curious to see how Yes sounded with David so I watched several videos from them on tour in youtube. Maybe I had bad luck because the videos from the concerts I watched there (taken by fans) were not very good, and I didnīt like the sound of the band, not because of Davidīs vocals only, but because all of the musiciansī playing. So, when I saw this album in the record shops I didnīt want to buy it. But, I bought it recently. What can I say? David is a very good singer, and he sounds very much like Anderson in several places, except in some high notes where his voice really sounds a bit forced. He did a good job, but being in Yes singing in high notes night after night on tours is very difficult (the same can be said about Trevor Horn, who replaced Anderson in 1980). Oliver Wakeman is a very good keyboard player, like his father, with very good musical background and technique, but obviously he doesnīt play exactly as his father, but in general he is the only musician in the band who plays in this album generally very well, albeit somewhat "restrained" in some places. The long time members of the band sound tired, and obviously they donīt play like in their twenties. The band in general sounds like only doing their job, somewhat tired. "Another town, one more show". The set list is very similar as in other tours. They play their most famous songs, like Pink Floyd, Genesis and other bands did, tour after tour. There are some surprises in the set list: "Tempus Fugit", "Astral Traveller" (very well played, and with a very good drums solo by Alan White), and "Machine Messiah", played well, but not so well because the rhythm and some other things are played in a different manner."South Side of the Sky" is very well played, with Oliver playing very good keyboard parts, and in "Starship Trooper" he plays some solos which are very similar as his father played them (one could think by only listening to them without knowing about the line-up changes that Rick played those solos!). Steve Howe fortunately played another acoustic guitar solo ("Corkscrew") instead of his "Clap" and / or "Mood for a Day" acoustic guitar compositions (thanks, Steve!). Alan White in general sounds tired. Chris Squire too. So, I understand they still need to work. Anderson maybe is not going to return to the band anymore despite what many fans think about Yes not being Yes without him. . The same could be said about Rick Wakeman. Both for health reasons canīt do long tours anymore as Yes wants and needs to do. So, the fans have the choice to "approve" Yes in any configuration, with any lead singer, any keyboard player or any other change in the line-up, or to simply look away. The band sounds very professional, but tired. The recording and mixing is very good, and the cover design by Roger Dean is similar to the cover design of "Keys to Ascension". This is a good album, but....not essential.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#875188) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars No disgrace

In The Present is a live album featuring a line-up consisting of core members Chris Squire, Steve Howe, and Alan White, with Rick Wakeman's son Oliver replacing dad on keyboards and Benoit David (Mystery) replacing Jon Anderson on vocals. Oliver Wakeman has a playing style very close to his father and he deals with the Yes material with competence. David's voice is likewise very similar to his predecessor, though it is the weakest link in the chain here. Despite being backed by Squire's and Howe's characteristic harmony vocals, David's vocals inevitably invite direct comparisons to Anderson's and inevitably feel like ersatz- Anderson here. I have respect for Benoit David and especially his band Mystery, but he lacks a unique voice of his own coming across an anonymous and watered down version of Anderson. If they had to replace Anderson, I would have preferred a vocalist that does not sound at all like Anderson to avoid inviting direct comparisons. It would be more interesting to hear how Yes would have sounded like with a completely different type of vocalist. But I guess I will never know.

The set list focuses heavily on songs from The Yes Album, Fragile, Close To the Edge, and Drama--which happens to be my top four favourite Yes albums, all of them five star albums in my book and containing some of the best music ever put to record. The Yes Album is represented by three songs in Starship Trooper, Yours Is No Disgrace, and I've Seen All Good People; Fragile is represented by Roundabout, Heart Of The Sunrise, and South Side Of The Sky; Close To The Edge by And You And I and Siberian Khatru; and Drama by Machine Messiah and Tempus Fugit. Out of these, the latter two are by far the most interesting in the present context. Songs from Drama have rarely been played live before due to Jon Anderson not being the original singer on Drama (and presumably didn't want to sing these songs live on subsequent tours). Now that Jon was no longer part of Yes, these Drama songs could finally be dusted off and performed live on stage. As I said, Drama belongs to my all-time favourite Yes albums and it is a delight to hear some songs from that great album finally being performed live. Benoit David sings these songs well and his vocals hold up better in comparison with Trevor Horn than with Anderson.

The oldest song played in this set is Astral Traveller, originally from Time And A Word from 1970. This is an interesting choice and again a good version containing a short drum solo. The 1969 self-titled debut is passed over as are Tales From Topographic Oceans, Relayer, and Going For The One. The underrated Tormato, on the other hand, is represented by the melancholic Onward. The newest song is Owner Of A Lonely Heart from 90125 from 1983. I don't care too much for this tune, but it is fun to hear Howe's persistent backup vocals on this one. Howe also hand in an acoustic solo performance in Corkscrew.

With so many excellent Yes live albums (and videos) on the market, In The Present is hardly noteworthy. The songs from The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close To The Edge in particular have been played live so many times and been included on many a live album. The present versions are not bad, but they inevitably add little to the many older live versions (my favourite live releases include Yessongs, House Of Yes, and Symphonic Live). The interesting songs here are primarily the few rarer ones which makes this disc worth hearing for devoted fans like myself.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#1083599) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 30, 2013

4 stars The is a great live recording by three oldies who prove there is no age to good music, similar to the great old jazz artists that are still performing such as Ahmad Jamal, Sonny Rollins etc. Side one with Siberian Khartu and I've seen all good people is fantastic. Benoit David's singing ... (read more)

Report this review (#827331) | Posted by Lieven Van Paemel | Monday, September 24, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars That is my first review on this website. Despite the fact that using extreme ratings is generally discouraged and should be sparsely imposed I can hardly find reasons for dropping even half of a star from the rating of this release. If there are any drawbacks related to this live album, these wer ... (read more)

Report this review (#588426) | Posted by LRRP | Wednesday, December 14, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Obviously, if you are new to Yes, and have never heard a live recording, then you should be marching right down to your local record store to experience Yessongs. But for the Yes fan, who has followed this band through triumphs and changes and wrong turns and comebacks, this album represents ... (read more)

Report this review (#588091) | Posted by freyacat | Wednesday, December 14, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Hmmm......... The Yes purists will gather around the speakers now and poke their walking sticks into them. The question is: Is Benoit David any good ??? Or let me re-phrase that: IS BENOIT DAVID ANY GOOD ??? Or to re-phrase that: Isbenoitdavidanygood??? The songs here are the usual best of ... (read more)

Report this review (#587147) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Monday, December 12, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars There is no other way to say this. This is (or was) Yes. This album catches the band sounding their most vital and energetic for years. The additions of Benoit David and Oliver Wakeman well bedded in by this point, the energy and spirit of Yes and their erstwhile leader are evidently not as m ... (read more)

Report this review (#586998) | Posted by Skylinedrifter | Monday, December 12, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars OK, let's deal with the elephant in the room .... Can HE (you know, that OTHER guy) ... can HE perform Jon Anderson's vocal parts? Well actually, yes HE can. When Benoit David's vocal came in I expected it to jar me, a picture hanging at the wrong angle... but NO... this works , it works well ... (read more)

Report this review (#585740) | Posted by Matt-T | Saturday, December 10, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "In The Present - Live From Lyon"