MY LOVE IS HIGHER THAN YOUR ASSESSMENT OF WHAT MY LOVE COULD BE

Harvey Milk

Experimental/Post Metal

Harvey Milk My Love is Higher Than Your Assessment of What My Love Could Be album cover

Buy HARVEY MILK Music
Studio Album, released in 1994

1. A Small Turn of Human Kindness (8:16)
2. Women Dig It (4:14)
3. The Anvil Will Fall (7:34)
4. Merlin is Magic (3:54)
5. My Father's Life's Work (9:55)
6. Where the Bee Sucks, There Suck I (5:57)
7. Jim's Polish (7:22)
8. F.S.T.P. (12:47)
9. All the Live Long Day (6:32)

Search HARVEY MILK My Love is Higher Than Your Assessment of What My Love Could Be lyrics

Search HARVEY MILK My Love is Higher Than Your Assessment of What My Love Could Be tabs

- Creston Spiers / guitar, vocals
- Stephen Tanner / bass
- Paul Trudeau / drums

1994 CD on Yesha
Reissue CD on Relapse 2007

Thanks to HolyMoly for the addition

HARVEY MILK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy HARVEY MILK My Love is Higher Than Your Assessment of What My Love Could Be Music

More places to buy HARVEY MILK music online Buy HARVEY MILK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for HARVEY MILK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

HARVEY MILK My Love is Higher Than Your Assessment of What My Love Could Be ratings distribution

HARVEY MILK My Love is Higher Than Your Assessment of What My Love Could Be reviews

Review by HolyMoly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl and Canterbury Teams
4 stars This is a strange one. Even people who know what Harvey Milk are about will probably say "huh"? upon first hearing this album. It walks a tightrope of sorts between Melvins-like sludge metal and, well, chamber-prog. Lots of open spaces, purposeful dissonance and distant roars and howls. the opening track is almost inaudible for the first half or so, and even then it's really mostly drums you hear. In fact, the drums almost function as a lead instrument in conjunction with the bass and guitar. All three are playing gnarled, unusual patterns in a VERY slow tempo, locking together in a way that's not always apparent at first.

The relatively short tracks "Merlin is Magic" and "Women Dig It" are the closest they come to showing their "rockist" tendencies, which would become more pronounced in later years (and were more pronounced in earlier pre-debut album years, though not here), if only because they display the most accessible grooves here, though they're still pretty abstract to the untrained ear. By contrast, "F.S.T.P." and "My Father's Life's Work", both hovering around the 10 minute mark, are slow, tortuous crawls through mortal anguish; the remarkable thing is that they still manage to impart a sense of humor in there, hard though it may be to explain without further research. Even more impenetrable is the odd sludge/classical fusion of "The Anvil Will Fall", with an orchestral middle section (no guitars or drums) playing and excerpt of Gustav Holst's Jupiter (from "The Planets"). Very strange sounding, and grimly poignant. The finale, "All the Live Long Day", is possibly the most primal thing here, with a sledgehammer striking an anvil repeatedly, forming part of the rhythm track, in between tortured howls.

Overall, I have to applaud this sort of album. Any album that keeps me guessing not just what will come next, but what the band's overall strategy is, certainly has my interest and attention. And knowing what I now know about the band and their catalog as a whole, it's all coming together and making sense, kind of.

Send comments to HolyMoly (BETA) | Report this review (#649807) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Post a review of HARVEY MILK "My Love is Higher Than Your Assessment of What My Love Could Be"