INVISIBLE RAYS (WITH MORGAN AGREN AND HENRY KAISER)

Trey Gunn

- Trey Gunn / touch guitars, touch basses, baritone guitar
- Morgan Agren / drums, percussion

Released 15 November 2011
Available: http://treygunn.bandcamp.com/album/invisible-rays

Thanks to J-Man for the addition

TREY GUNN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Dziban The Third Star , 1996

Discipline Us 1994
ModulatorModulator
7D Media 2010
TREY GUNN - MUSIC FOR PICTURES NEW CD US $22.34 Buy It Now 2h 19m
1 CENT CD: Synergy 'Barcodes' jazz Trey Gunn + Mike Brannon ++ jazz fusion US $5.10 [6 bids]
TREY GUNN - ONE THOUSAND YEARS (CD 1993) BRAND NEW & FACTORY SEALED ! VERY RARE US $39.95 Buy It Now 11h 46m
I'll Tell What I Saw by Trey Gunn (CD, Nov-2010, 2 Discs, 7D Media) US $16.93 Buy It Now 14h 14m
TREY GUNN - MUSIC FOR PICTURES [SLIMLINE] - NEW CD US $13.39 Buy It Now 18h 57m
Trey Gunn - I'll Tell What I Saw NEW 2 x CD US $26.36 Buy It Now 1 day
Trey Gunn - The Third Star NEW CD US $20.29 Buy It Now 1 day
TREY GUNN Music for Pictures CD 2008 King Crimson Progressive / Improvisational US $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ALICE Charade CD WEA Italian Import 1996 Trey Gunn California Guitar Trio US $11.99 [0 bids]
Music for Pictures Trey Gunn CD US $13.38 Buy It Now 3 days
Modulator Trey Gunn/Marco Minnemann CD US $15.45 Buy It Now 4 days
The Third Star Trey Gunn CD US $12.15 Buy It Now 4 days
TREY GUNN - One Thousand Years - (1993 CD) - KING CRIMSON US $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
TREY GUNN - MODULATOR NEW CD US $23.11 Buy It Now 6 days
TREY GUNN - THIRD STAR NEW CD US $23.11 Buy It Now 6 days
Trey Gunn - Untune the Sky (RARE CD & BONUS DVD 2003) KING CRIMSON ROBERT FRIPP US $47.05 Buy It Now 6 days
TREY GUNN - ILL TELL WHAT I SAW NEW CD US $30.00 Buy It Now 7 days
TREY GUNN king Crimson 2002 MEXICO TOUR press pass PROMO no LP LATIN AMERICA US $19.99 Buy It Now 7 days
I'll Tell What I Saw Trey Gunn CD US $16.86 Buy It Now 7 days
TREY GUNN - I'LL TELL WHAT I SAW [884501396202] - NEW CD BOXSET US $16.87 Buy It Now 7 days
Trey Gunn Untune the Sky CD+DVD Pat Mastelotto Robert Fripp Dave Douglas US $17.98 Buy It Now 9 days
Trey Gunn - I'll Tell What I Saw (Music CD) US $40.41 Buy It Now 9 days
Trey Gunn & Pat Mastelotto - Tu (Music CD) US $31.97 Buy It Now 9 days
Trey Gunn - Modulator (Music CD) US $31.97 Buy It Now 9 days
Trey Gunn - Third Star The (Music CD) US $31.97 Buy It Now 9 days
Trey Gunn - I'll Tell What I Saw [CD New] US $19.08 Buy It Now 10 days
Untune the Sky by Trey Gunn (CD & DVD GERMAN IMPORT) 2003 KING CRIMSON US $12.44 Buy It Now 10 days
Trey Gunn - Raw Power-Surfacing CD US $17.88 Buy It Now 10 days
Trey Gunn - Modulator CD US $17.67 Buy It Now 10 days
TREY GUNN - ILL TELL WHAT I SAW NEW CD US $29.24 Buy It Now 11 days
Modulator Trey Gunn/Marco Minnemann CD US $12.94 Buy It Now 11 days
Trey Gunn The Third Star CD NEW (UK Import) US $15.29 Buy It Now 11 days
Trey Gunn I`Ll Tell What I Saw CD NEW (UK Import) US $19.71 Buy It Now 11 days
TREY GUNN / MARCO MINNEMANN - MODULATOR NEW CD US $22.34 Buy It Now 11 days
Trey Gunn Modulator CD NEW (UK Import) US $15.29 Buy It Now 11 days
Trey Gunn Music for Pictures CD NEW King Crimson 29 Trx US $9.99 Buy It Now 12 days
TREY GUNN - RAW POWER: SURFACINGS, VOL. 1 - NEW CD US $12.43 Buy It Now 12 days
Trey Gunn : Music for Pictures CD (2008) US $8.68 Buy It Now 13 days
Trey Gunn - Modulator (CD) - HST011CD US $16.79 Buy It Now 14 days
Trey Gunn - I'll tell What I Saw (CD) - HST043CD US $16.79 Buy It Now 15 days
Trey Gunn and Pat Mastelotto - Tu (CD)- HST048CD US $16.79 Buy It Now 15 days
Trey Gunn - The Third Star (CD) - HST049CD US $16.79 Buy It Now 15 days
TREY GUNN / HENRY / AGREN KAISER - INVISIBLE RAYS NEW CD US $22.34 Buy It Now 15 days
DAVID RICE-Green Electric-TREY GUNN-Folk-SINGER-Songwriter-KATY,Tx-HARMONIUM-cd US $8.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Raw Power: Surfacings, Vol. 1 by Trey Gunn (CD, Nov-1999, 2 Discs, Forst... US $12.94 Buy It Now 15 days
Music For Pictures - Trey Gunn (2008, CD New) US $10.63 Buy It Now 15 days
Invisible Rays by Henry Kaiser/Trey Gunn/Morgan gren (CD, Nov-2011, 7D Media) US $12.08 Buy It Now 16 days
TREY GUNN - ILL TELL WHAT I SAW * [5060230860831] - NEW CD US $16.43 Buy It Now 17 days
TREY GUNN - THE THIRD STAR [5060230861081] - NEW CD US $12.28 Buy It Now 17 days
Trey Gunn - I'll Tell What I Saw (NEW CD) US $29.82 Buy It Now 18 days
TREY GUNN The Third Star CD 1996 Discipline 9606 (King Crimson) w 4 Prints US $8.00 Buy It Now 18 days
TREY GUNN - LIVE ENCOUNTER - NEW CD US $14.69 Buy It Now 19 days
TREY GUNN - LIVE ENCOUNTER NEW CD US $22.34 Buy It Now 19 days
Trey Gunn One Thousand Years CD *NEW Orig UK 1993 King Crimson David Sylvian KTU US $59.95 Buy It Now 19 days
TREY GUNN - I`LL TELL WHAT I SAW - HST043CD US $30.51 Buy It Now 19 days
TREY GUNN - MODULATOR - HST011CD US $20.71 Buy It Now 19 days
TREY GUNN - THE THIRD STAR - HST049CD US $19.62 Buy It Now 19 days
Trey Gunn Live Encounter CD US $14.68 Buy It Now 20 days
TREY GUNN - THE THIRD STAR [884501513579] - NEW CD US $11.95 Buy It Now 20 days
Toyah Wilcox OPHELIA'S SHADOW Japan CD Robert Fripp King Crimson Trey Gunn US $34.99 Buy It Now 21 days
TREY GUNN - RAW POWER: SURFACING 1 NEW CD US $22.34 Buy It Now 22 days
KING CRIMSON thrakattak JAPAN CD Trey Gunn Adrian Belew Robert Fripp Tony Levin US $22.09 Buy It Now 22 days
Bill Rieflin/Robert Fripp/Trey Gunn Repercussions Of Angelic Beha CD US $12.51 Buy It Now 22 days
Raw Power: Surfacings, Vol. 1 Trey Gunn CD US $12.42 Buy It Now 23 days
TREY GUNN & PAT MASTELOTTO TU 14 track CD SEALED + Enhanced Section King Crimson US $16.72 Buy It Now 23 days
TREY GUNN I'll Tell You What I Saw 1993-2010 36 track 2 CD SEALED US $16.72 Buy It Now 23 days
INNA ZHELANNAYA Kokon (CD,2009,DIGIPAK) [feat. TREY GUNN] US $21.30 Buy It Now 23 days
The Repercussions of Angelic Behavior by Robert Fripp/Trey Gunn/Bill Rieflin... US $13.69 Buy It Now 26 days
TREY GUNN - THE THIRD STAR NEW CD US $22.34 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy TREY GUNN music online Buy TREY GUNN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TREY GUNN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TREY GUNN Invisible Rays (With Morgan Agren and Henry Kaiser) ratings distribution

TREY GUNN Invisible Rays (With Morgan Agren and Henry Kaiser) reviews

Review by J-Man
2 stars Invisible Rays is the result of a spontaneous collaboration between guitarist Henry Kaiser, bassist Trey Gunn, and drummer Morgan Ågren while they all happened to be in Scandinavia for a musical education conference. Having never previously collaborated together, these three gifted musicians, each with an impressive background in progressive rock and jazz music, found themselves with some studio time in Sweden and ceased the opportunity to improvise and record their jam sessions together. This ad hoc trio created Invisible Rays in a rather short period of time, and the result is an album of long, often jarring improvisations that should appeal to fans of avant-jazz rock on the more wacky side. Invisible Rays is an extremely long and challenging listening experience, and while it often lacks the compositional groundwork to sound like a coherent observation, this is still recommended to the more adventurous listener.

This trio have created a rather unique album with Invisible Rays, and while it can best be described as avant-garde jazz rock, I can't say I've ever heard very much like it. The compositions are very loose, especially on songs like the sprawling 22-minute title track, and it leaves plenty of room for the musicians to improvise to their heart's content. Morgan Ågren's drumming is often highly complex and challenging, and his drum patterns are more often used as a lead instrument than anything resembling a rhythm section - above all of the madness occurring in the drum department are complicated basslines from Trey Gunn and sprawling guitar improvisations from Henry Kaiser. With a few exceptions, the band still manages to sound like a cohesive unit, even if each member is often playing music that is seemingly independent from the rest of the trio. My biggest gripe with Invisible Rays is that, even though the musicianship is impeccable and the music can be quite fun at times, the songs lack any form of structure for the listener to grab onto. A decent chunk of the album feels like a bunch of disconnected musical fragments were hastily thrown together without any rhyme or reason, and while it can make for an intriguing experience from time to time, it hardly leaves any sort of lasting impression on the listener.

The sporadic and challenging nature of Invisible Rays may not have been such an issue if the album weren't over 71 minutes long, but the daunting playing time can really make this collection of improvisations a difficult listen for those not up to the challenge. Though I end up being left slightly underwhelmed (or overwhelmed, depending on how you look at it) by what this trio has to offer, I'd still be quite curious to hear what they create if they're given more studio time to compose and polish up their thoughts. There are plenty of great ideas throughout Invisible Rays, but it seems that the trio hasn't yet mastered the ability of turning those great ideas into great music. Still, if extremely challenging, improvisation-based jazz rock is up your alley, then you may want to give this a shot before taking my word for it. This is an acquired taste for sure, so I'd say a middle-of-the-road 2.5 stars are pretty fair. With a bit more focus and cohesiveness, there's no doubt that Invisible Rays could've been a much more satisfying album than it currently is.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#603810) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 05, 2012

4 stars This was a welcome record indeed. Lots of angular rythms and heavy jams keeps this record jumping all the way through. This is not your common progressive jazz-rock record. It is much less polished than the term jazz-rock indicates. Instead it is a adventurous progressive jam. I have really e ... (read more)

Report this review (#639452) | Posted by zbambus | Thursday, February 23, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TREY GUNN "Invisible Rays (With Morgan Agren and Henry Kaiser)"