DECLINE AND FALL

RIO/Avant-Prog

Thinking Plague Decline and Fall album cover

Buy THINKING PLAGUE Music
Studio Album, released in 2012

1. Malthusian Dances (6:39)
2. I Cannot Fly (8:34)
3. Sleeper Cell Anthem (6:10)
4. A Virtuous Man (11:45)
5. The Gyre (4:42)
6. Climbing the Mountain (8:38)

Search THINKING PLAGUE Decline and Fall lyrics

All music and lyrics by Mike Johnson
CD cover/booklet design/images by Kurt Bauer
Released January 2012 by Cuneiform Records

Thanks to penguindf12 for the addition

THINKING PLAGUE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THINKING PLAGUE Decline and Fall Music

Early Plague YearsEarly Plague Years
Cuneiform 2000
In This LifeIn This Life
Recommended Records 1995

More places to buy THINKING PLAGUE music online Buy THINKING PLAGUE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THINKING PLAGUE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THINKING PLAGUE Decline and Fall ratings distribution

THINKING PLAGUE Decline and Fall reviews

4 stars I haven't seen an album hyped as much as this one has been for quite a while. I consider myself a big fan of this group and after reading the universal praise I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Well i'm happy with it and it's a solid four star record in my opinion, but out of their six studio albums this would be near the bottom. Maybe it's just me but it seems wordy and samey. I did listen to some of their previous records before I reviewed this just to make sure I wasn't losing it, but that only confirmed that I like them better. My favourite aspect of this recording is the in your face bass. A new singer is on board in Elaine Di Falco who continues that THINKING PLAGUE tradition of mono-toned female singing.

"Malthusian Dances" sounds really good with the bass and drums providing a solid rhythm while the vocals sing over top. Sax and keys join in. It becomes intricate and complex when the vocals stop. The vocals are back after 4 minutes. They will come and go. It sounds like mellotron late. "I Cannot Fly" has more huge bass lines along with vocals and more. A collage of intricate sounds come and go. Some vocal melodies after 5 minutes. "Sleeper Cell Anthem" again features chunky bass and vocals as the sax comes and goes. "A Virtuous Man" is laid back and melancholic with reserved vocals. It sounds like mellotron when it picks up some. A calm after 4 1/2 minutes. Bass clarinet before 6 minutes. Another calm before 9 minutes with mellotron. It kicks back in one more time. It's haunting to end it.

"The Gyre" features keys, sax and more as a heavy rhythm joins in. Fast paced vocals arrive after 1 1/2 minutes but they're brief. The sax is prominant late. "Climbing The Mountain" is more of the same really. Some atmosphere and mellotron before 2 minutes then the vocals return. A calm before 4 minutes with vocals. It then picks up with prominant guitar and sax. Another calm as the contrasts continue. Mellotron and chunky bass 6 minutes in as it picks up. Guitar follows.

Another excellent release by this band but one that doesn't live up to the hype, at least not in my world.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#642153) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 27, 2012

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
3 stars I normally pride myself on knowing quite a bit about music, but when I come across a band that has been going since 1978 and recording since 1984 yet are new to me I hang my head in shame. Although to be honest the form of music these guys provide is not likely to feature much in the mainstream press. This is experimental RIO free form that pushes the boundaries of what many would consider music at all, yet at the same time is strangely compelling. Singer Elaine Di Falco sings in a strange monotone that combines with the otherworldy music that is taking place around her to really take the listener to a dischordant future. This is music that has so much space you could drive a truck through it, yet at the same time is incredibly layered and complex. It is modern classical music being taken to an extreme: the scores for this must be incredible.

It is emotional, hard to listen to, complicated and doesn't belong in any sensible music collection. But being fair, who on earth wants to be sensible? Most people will listen to a few seconds of this and turn away in horror to the latest pop creation, but if you want your music to be challenging and with substance then this may just be for you. www.cuneiformrecords.com

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#874543) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 11, 2012

3 stars This music is so difficult that any hint of sloppiness would put every rhythm and note in doubt, so it's great to hear such masterful performances. (And if they're not performances, but sequenced synths, they're masterfully programmed, so kudos either way.) Dave Willey (bass), Mark Harris (woodwi ... (read more)

Report this review (#808070) | Posted by SteveHS | Monday, August 20, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The last album from thinking plague is quiet a disappointment for me. It has all the great elements of their earlier albums, most notably In Extermis, but it's just not it. There are tracks where they sound as though they are trying to sound as themselves (like in Malthusian Dances), and others when ... (read more)

Report this review (#636989) | Posted by yosimoshe | Tuesday, February 21, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THINKING PLAGUE "Decline and Fall"