DOGS BLOOD RISING

Studio Album, released in 1984

Antirecords version:
1. Christus Christus the Shells have Cracked
3. From Broken Cross, Locusts
4. Raio no Terrasu (Jesus Wept)
5. St. Peters Keys all Bloody

Mi-Mort version:
1. Christus Christus the Shells have Cracked
3. Christ's First Howling
4. Fields of Rape
5. From Broken Cross, Locusts
6. Raio no Terrasu (Jesus Wept)
7. St. Peters Keys all Bloody
8. I'm The One

1995 Durtro version:
1. Christus Christus (The Shells have Cracked) (3:03)
2. Falling Back in Fields of Rape (14:40)
3. From Broken Cross, Locusts (6:04)
4. Raio no Terrasu (Jesus Wept) (13:56)
5. St. Peters Keys all Bloody (2:20)
6. Dogs Blood Rising (4:58)

Total time: 45:01

2008 Durtro CD version:
1. Christus Christus tThe Shells Have Cracked (3:03)
2. Falling Back in Fields of Rape (14:41)
3. From Broken Cross, Locusts (6:04)
4. Raio no Terrasu (Jesus Wept) (13:57)
5. St. Peters Keys all Bloody (2:22)

Dogs Blood Ascending a remix by Andrew Liles
6. Christus Christus the Shells Have Cracked (3:46)
7. Falling Back in Fields of Rape (14:08)
8. From Broken Cross, Locusts (5:43)
9. Raio no Terrasu (Jesus Wept) (9:32)
10. St. Peters Keys all Bloody (6:30)

Total time: 79:46

2008 Durtro LP version:
1. Christus Christus tThe Shells have Cracked
3. From Broken Cross, Locusts
4. Raio no Terrasu (Jesus Wept)
5. St. Peters Keys all Bloody

LP L.A.Y.L.A.H. Antirecords LAY8 (1988) BE
CD Durtro DURTRO027CD (1995) UK
CD Durtro Jnana DURTRO JNANA 95 (2008) CA
LP Durtro Jnana DURTRO JNANA LP 95 (2008) UK

Thanks to clemofnazareth for the addition

CURRENT 93 MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CURRENT 93 Dogs Blood Rising Music

Dogs Blood RisingDogs Blood Rising
Durtro / Jnana 2008
Dogs Blood RisingDogs Blood Rising
World 1995
Dogs Blood Rising by WorldDogs Blood Rising by World
World

More places to buy CURRENT 93 music online Buy CURRENT 93 & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CURRENT 93 DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CURRENT 93 Dogs Blood Rising ratings distribution

CURRENT 93 Dogs Blood Rising reviews

Review by Dobermensch
4 stars This is the kind of music I'm expecting to encounter in hell after I die... Bring it on, that's all I can say. Hell is where all the interesting people go!

'Dogs Blood Rising' is a guitar and bass free album but is very intense from the first notes right until the end. The opener 'Christus Christus (the Shells Have Cracked)' gives birth to something vile where Aleister Crowley tape loops are played at varying speeds and direction creating a kaleidoscopic effect.

'Falling Back in Fields of Rape' is a tune that both 'Current 93' and stable mates 'Death in June' occasionally re-visited, giving it a severe re-working on a number of occasions. This version is certainly the creepiest and peaks with some insane sounding vocals by 'Crass' front-man Steve Ignorant. Rose McDowall of 'Strawberry Switchblade' also contributes a spoken passage about 'falling from a helicopter' and other unlikely ways to die.

David Tibet sounds like the Grand Inquisitor Torquemada throughout with his high pitched shrieking which quite literally sounds like a hallucinatory nightmare. Just one look at him on the inner sleeve is enough to give you the heebie-jeebies.

To cheer myself up I think on little plastercine man 'Morph' from 'Take Hart'. He does, after-all, enormously resemble lead vocalist David Tibet.

This is very different in sound from almost all of their recordings from 1988 onwards. If you have a penchant for the morbid suffering of Christ and almost Satanic Mass-like lyrics, you'd do well to check out 'Dawn' and the well and truly terrifying 'Nature Unveiled' which took this sound as far as the genre could go.

One point is docked for the too live sounding 'Jesus Wept' which overstays its welcome by a good 5 minutes, although the manipulation of vocals through tapes from various sources are very impressive.

Unbelievably there's a cover version of Simon and Garfunkel's 'Scarborough Fair' to see us out. Needless to say, it's the polar opposite in atmosphere of the original.

The best thing about early Current 93 is that David Tibet doesn't yet sound like UK 90's astrologer 'Mystic Meg'. From that point on I went off them very quickly. 'Dog's Blood Rising' is however a fantastic album if you're in a misanthropic mood. If you're not you'll HATE THIS - guaranteed!

Review by Guldbamsen
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Retired Admin
4 stars Black blood

Sounding unlike anything else in Current 93's discography, Dogs Blood Rising throws the listener into a nightmarish jagged edge soundtrack. I've heard a lot of people talking about evil music - albums that are supposed to be frightening, and most of the time what you encounter are melancholic droopy atmospheres which are as horrifying as a pack of black poodles. Woof!

This debut though will have you reaching for the light-switch in no time. I know, I've had several nightmares due to it. I often use music in the mornings to pull me out of bed - setting the timer on my stereo, and then slowly and comfortably awake to the soothing gentle touch of patterned sound. Having forgot about the cd changer in my old stereo system, this particular album sometimes acted as substitute for an alarm clock, although I wouldn't in a million years consciously dream of using it as such. No way in hell! The music had a ninja like way of sneaking into my dreams - terrorising and haunting me like an evil shadow you can't escape. Each time, I woke up completely soaked in sweat with flashing black dots in front of my eyes - desperately trying to remind myself about reality, life and sunshine.

The music itself is void of bass and guitars, which does conjure up a distinctive high pitched atmosphere, that evokes images of ancient bottomless Gothic churches with huge black holes in them that stretch all the way down to the place where demons and darkness dwell. Instead the sound spectrum is filled with strange embryonic tape loops, crashing cymbals, whispering witches on the wind and most importantly David Tibet's demonic vocals.

It's strange to think that this album just might be the most religion saturated one inside an enormous discography, yet at the same time fulfilling the role of being the single most devilish, evil and frightening of the lot. David Tibet sounds like a man who's personally spent a couple of weeks dangling on a cross with rusty nails through his wrists before laying down the vocal tracks. Imagine an absurd mix of Prodigy's Keith Flint and the utmost vile and rusty black metal screeching cobbled together into one bone-chilling affair - and you're not that far off. Somewhere between incantations and mad unchecked warnings from a religious hermit - you'll find this startling man. With a lyrical content that puts forth the horror and madness of the biblical texts, he illustrates what man has become in order to contain the animal side of him - though always lurking in the back of our minds like burning white embers.

Whether you choose to look at the cold and lifeless ambiance of the music, that more than anything resembles a soldier's march through fields of death and mud - or you face towards the raging vocals of Tibet - the counter-pointing effect of religion and fear, God and hell, man and animal, -is always there. Drawn like a fly to a wound, the feel of this record is the omnipresent soulless and bottomless pit. It's frightening yes - dissonant at times also, but aside from all of these less than sympathetic characteristics of Dogs Blood Rising, you have to give the band some respect for putting such a record out in the midst of the 80s. There was literally nothing out there that sounded remotely like this, and even today I struggle to find any other album that frightens me the way this one does. It is that scary. Feels like a long strange kiss from Vlad the Impaler, while sniffing in the smell of burning wild flowers.

Post a review of CURRENT 93 "Dogs Blood Rising"