... A THINKING PLAGUE

Buy THINKING PLAGUE Music
Studio Album, released in 1984

1. I Do Not Live (5:04)
2. Possessed (8:19)
3. How to Clean Squid (5:02)
4. A light is on and name the world (1:32)
5. The Taste that Lingers On (2:12)
6. Four Men in the Rain (2:33)
7. Thorns of Blue and Red / the War (15:28)

Search THINKING PLAGUE ... A Thinking Plague lyrics

Search THINKING PLAGUE ... A Thinking Plague tabs

- Sharon Bradford / voice, noise, minisynth, "drake noise box"
- Bob Drake / bass, drums, percussion, voice, guitar, bowed balalaika, synths, piano
- Harry Fleishman / piano, organ, voice
- Mark Fuller / drums, simmons drums
- Mike Johnson / guitars, synths, piano, metal pipes, voice
with Mark Bradford

LP, Autoproduction, 1984 - K7, Endemic, 1986

and to Joolz for the last updates

THINKING PLAGUE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THINKING PLAGUE ... A Thinking Plague Music

In This LifeIn This Life
Recommended Records 1995
Upon Both Your HousesUpon Both Your Houses
NEARFest Records 2006

More places to buy THINKING PLAGUE music online Buy THINKING PLAGUE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THINKING PLAGUE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THINKING PLAGUE ... A Thinking Plague ratings distribution

THINKING PLAGUE ... A Thinking Plague reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars My first contact with this band was in perfect conditions so I was quasi-certain I would enjoy this band I had heard so much about. I have been told countless times how Bob Drake was such a genius but had only heard him on other people's groups or project and as a guest appearance. Maybe I was expecting too much , but I got what I was expecting: extremely difficult RIO. What I had not expected was that this music was unexpectedly too complicated and done exactly on that very purpose. I mean Univers Zero , Samla , Henry Cow had done just the same RIO a some years before and did not feel obliged to overdo things like they do. One thing is certain though, Bjork heard these guys before going solo because you can find many T P elements throughout her career.

Only if you are a RIO nutcase. I usually am but this is too much for me.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#23867) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2005

Review by laplace
4 stars Not nearly as experimental as they think they are, Thinking Plague are nevertheless a skilled and entertaining band. Comparisons to Henry Cow aren't entirely unfounded although perhaps a little too flattering in terms of new ground covered.

This disc starts with a rather abrasive song with contrary instrumentation and urgently delivered lyrics, but don't let it scare you away as what lies beyond is much more fulfilling. The disc contains pieces which can be likened to various RIO bands, all the way from tense chamber avant-rock to the confused new-wave, post-punk pop songs "How to Clean Squid" and "The Taste That Lingers On" which this reviewer found similar to certain pieces on Stormy Six's "Al Volo" album.

Look to this album if you crave a disc that will create certain moods rather than to help you rock out. Pay particularly close attention to the second and last tracks as they are true gems. Of course, this reviewer's advice would be to delay the purchase of A Thinking Plague (or more likely, the double album compilation upon which this appears) until you have paid tribute to bands such as Univers Zero and Etron Fou Leloublan.

Send comments to laplace (BETA) | Report this review (#109776) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 30, 2007

4 stars With THINKING PLAGUE about to release a new album I thought I better review their first two records. For me this is a great way to prepare for the new one. Sharon Bradford is the vocalist on this their debut released in 1984 although we do get plenty of male vocals too. This is such an inventive album full of adventure and there's that humour too.

"I Do Not Live" opens with male vocals, acoustic guitar and more. Avant is the word (haha). A calm before 1 1/2 minutes then these loud percussion sounds and female vocals take over. Back to that earlier soundscape around 4 minutes although the vocals sound distorted this time. "Possesed" is led by guitar and drums early. Great sound here. A calm before 2 minutes with piano and female vocals. It kicks back in before 3 1/2 minutes with guitar and drums. Vocals are back around 4 minutes in then it turns pastoral a minute later. It's fuller again as contrasts continue.

"How To Clean Squid" is funny lyrically. It's an uptermpo rocker to start before settling back. Crazy stuff. Love the bass late. "A Light Is On And Name The World" is a short piece with loud bangs and lots of chaos. "The Taste That Lingers On" is funny with almost spoken vocals with a silly sounding rhythm and other humorous sounds. "Four Men In The Rain" is melancholic with dissonance. "Thorns Of Blue And Red / The War" is the almost 15 1/2 minute closer. Piano and male vocals to start then guitar and drums take over before a minute. Nice. A calm after 3 minutes with sparse sounds.Piano and drums before 6 minutes then vocals and a fuller sound follow. Nice. A calm with male vocals before 10 minutes then the guitar and drums return.

What a great way to start their careers. A very solid 4 stars for this one.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#560480) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 31, 2011

3 stars Obviously I don't own one of those 500 rare original LP's of this record. The review is based on the 'Early Plague Years' reissue CD which contains TP's first two LP's. This album featured in tracks 6 to 12. The importance of this first LP in my opinion, is the opportunity to notice where all this s ... (read more)

Report this review (#82883) | Posted by ShW1 | Wednesday, July 05, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THINKING PLAGUE "... A Thinking Plague"