MOONSONGS

Good, but non-essential

Buy THINKING PLAGUE Music
Studio Album, released in 1987

1. Warheads (8:03)
2. Etude for Combo (6:59)
3. Collarless Fog that one day soon (3:20)
4. Inside Out (4:12)

- Mark McCoin / drums, percussion, voice, samplers
- with Fred Hess / alto sax
- Glenn Nitta / soprano sax

K7, Endemic, 1986 - LP, Dead Man's Curve, 1987

THINKING PLAGUE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THINKING PLAGUE Moonsongs Music

In This LifeIn This Life
Recommended Records 1995
Upon Both Your HousesUpon Both Your Houses
NEARFest Records 2006

More places to buy THINKING PLAGUE music online Buy THINKING PLAGUE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THINKING PLAGUE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THINKING PLAGUE Moonsongs ratings distribution

THINKING PLAGUE Moonsongs reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars When I set out to discover Thinking Plague , I was expecting many things. So I headed out to the library and rented their first two albums as well as In This Life to have a good overview of their career. I will not repeat what I think of this band - please look at my other review - but I got what I expected: difficult RIO. But I was not expecting to find it uninteresting , relatively boring and uselessly complicated. I hold Bob Drake in high esteem but I don't dig this project too much.

For the confirmed fan of RIO. Please note that these first two albums are now available on a single cd , so you can avoid dishing out your hard-earned $$$. Better yet , look elsewhere.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#23868) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2005

4 stars 4.5 stars. Man this is one incredible release and the sound quality couldn't be better thanks to Bob Drake's remastering. We are introduced to singer Susanne Lewis on this album. I really came close to giving this a 5 star rating but I feel that although it's better than the debut it's not quite as impressive as the follow-up ("In This Life") which I did give that 5 star rating to. Bottom line is that if you haven't checked out any of THINKING PLAGUE's first three albums you really need to because you won't be disappointed, only surprised at how amazing this band was right from day one.

"Warheads" really blew me away with the opening punchy sounds of bass and drums that sound so good. This one has lots of tempo shifts though,in fact you might say it has multiple personalities.This is my favourite track on here. "Etude For Combo" features some kind of percussion or vibes along with drums then the guitar joins in.Great tune. "Collarless Fog That One Day Soon" has some atmosphere as we get this spacey and somewhat haunting soundscape throughout. "Inside Out" is dark and haunting as the vocals join in.

"Moonsongs" is the almost 15 1/2 minute closer. They closed the debut album off with a track of almost the same length. It opens with percussion, drums and banging sounds as the vocals join in. Guitar before 4 minutes then we get some cool vocal arrangements. A calm 5 1/2 minutes in with strange vocal expressions. I like them. Sax around 9 minutes then we get this relentless beat before 11 minutes. A haunting calm with whispered vocals follows.It kicks back in after 12 1/2 minutes with vocals, then we get a guitar solo a minute later before a calm ends it.

Please track down the "Early Plague years" which has their first two studio albums remastered on one disc. A must for Rio / Avant fans.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#561687) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 03, 2011

4 stars "Moonsongs" is the 2nd LP by the band, and it is also featured in tracks 1 to 5 on the "Early Plague Years" reissue album. Compared to the 1st album "a Thinking Plague", it is a big step forward. The overall atmosphere of the album is much rockier and stronger. Drums and percussion take majo ... (read more)

Report this review (#105324) | Posted by ShW1 | Tuesday, January 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars A rather bad example of Rock in Opposition, although not because the album is "difficult" or particularly complicated - actually, it's quite the contrary. Compared to the immensely dense and complex compositions found on Thinking Plague's more recent efforts, 'Moonsongs' appears pret ... (read more)

Report this review (#70137) | Posted by Pafnutij | Tuesday, February 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Being a oldschool-sympho/neoprogfan, and rather new to RIO-genre, I was overwhelmed by "In Extremis" and "A History Of Madness" a while ago. I didn't think music that complicated could become so addictive, but it did. But, thanks to the reviews here on this site of the first two Thinking Plagu ... (read more)

Report this review (#51511) | Posted by sunhillow | Wednesday, October 12, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THINKING PLAGUE "Moonsongs"