BLACK EQUUS

Zeuhl

Ga'an Black Equus album cover

Buy GA'AN Music
Studio Album, released in 2011

1. Arms They Speak (9:54)
2. Servant Eye (8:35)
3. Call Of The Black Equus (18:44)

Search GA'AN Black Equus lyrics

Search GA'AN Black Equus tabs

- Lindsay Powell / voices, electric piano, synthesizer
- Seth Sher / drums
- Tyson Torstensen / synthesizers, bass, synth bass, electric piano

LP Captcha Records HBSP-2X-026 (2011)

Thanks to damoxt7942 for the addition

GA'AN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GA'AN Black Equus Music

Black EquusBlack Equus
Captcha Records 2011
Vinyl$28.59

More places to buy GA'AN music online Buy GA'AN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

GA'AN Black Equus ratings distribution

GA'AN Black Equus reviews

4 stars 4.5 stars. GA'AN are a Zeuhl band based in Chicago and this is their second album released in 2011. We get female vocals with plenty of electric piano, bass and drums. There's lots of synths too and mellotron giving us some welcomed atmosphere.

"Arms They Speak" opens with that atmosphere and man this sounds good. Drums arrive after a minute along with some vocal melodies as it builds. Nice bass lines after 3 1/2 minutes and then it brightens after 4 minutes which is such a cool contrast to what has gone before. Great sound 6 minutes in with that mellotron. Oh my! A calm after 7 1/2 minutes with bass and atmosphere as vocal melodies and drums join in. So good! Powerful stuff 8 1/2 minutes in right to the end which is quite intense. "Servant Eye" has a powerful and dark sound to start and this continues until just before 2 minutes when it stops and the mellotron storms in as the drums pound. Nice! Keys eventually join in and check out the drumming after 4 minutes. Vocals follow as it settles back some.

"Call Of The Black Equus" is the almost 19 minute closer. A dark atmosphere envelopes the soundscape to start then sounds beat and spacey ones come and go before 2 minutes. The organ floats in around 4 1/2 minutes and you gotta like that Zeuhl rhythm before 7 minutes. Some in your face bass 9 minutes in as the drums pound and the vocals help out. These pulsating keys then join in and they are kicking ass right here. A calm arrives before 12 minutes but then it starts to build quickly. Great sound before 14 1/2 minutes as it changes with some killer bass lines, keys and drums. A calm with outbursts of vocals and keys before 16 minutes but then it kicks back in quickly.

I really thought about 5 stars but the vocals are keeping me from doing that. I like them but they could be better at times, still if your into Zeuhl you really need to hear this one.

5 stars I had only known of Ga'an for a few months before I decided to order both of their albums on vinyl around Mid may, despite only having had moderate interest in their debut. As a fan of the Zeuhl genre in particular, I couldn't resist getting my hands on some Zeuhl LPs before vendors decide to drive ... (read more)

Report this review (#1423706) | Posted by Glimpse | Thursday, June 4, 2015 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GA'AN "Black Equus"