TURN OF THE CARDS & SCHEHERAZADE AND OTHER STORIES - LIVE IN CONCERT

Renaissance

Renaissance Turn Of The Cards & Scheherazade And Other Stories - Live In Concert album cover

Buy RENAISSANCE Music
Live, released in 2011

Disc 1 - ACT 1: Turn Of The Cards
1. Running Hard (9:47)
2. I Think Of You (3:14)
3. Things I Don't Understand (10:01)
4. Black Flame (6:57)
5. Cold Is Being (3:52)
6. Mother Russia (10:30)

Disc 2 - ACT 2: Scheherazade And Other Stories
1. Trip To The Fair (11:25)
2. Vultures Fly High (3:31)
3. Ocean Gypsy (7:37)
4. Song Of Scheherazade (24:35)
5. The Mystic And The Muse (8:35)

DVD:
8. Vultures Fly High
9. Ocean Gypsy
10. Song Of Scheherazade
11. The Mystic And The Muse

Search RENAISSANCE Turn Of The Cards & Scheherazade And Other Stories - Live In Concert lyrics

Search RENAISSANCE Turn Of The Cards & Scheherazade And Other Stories - Live In Concert tabs

- Annie Haslam / vocals
- Michael Dunford / acoustic guitars and vocals
- Rave Cesar / keyboards
- David J. Keyes / bass and vocals
- Jason Hart / keyboards and vocals
- Frank Pagano / drums, percussion and vocals

Label: Symphonic Rock Recordings

Exclusively throught their website: http://renaissancetouring.com/dvd/

Thanks to progshine for the addition
and to progshine for the last updates

RENAISSANCE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RENAISSANCE Turn Of The Cards & Scheherazade And Other Stories - Live In Concert Music

Symphony of LightSymphony of Light
MRI 2012
DVD Audio$11.93
Ashes Are BurningAshes Are Burning
Repertoire 1995
Live at Carnegie Hall/ The Deluxe Anniversary Edition (2 CD) (Original Recording Remastered)Live at Carnegie Hall/ The Deluxe Anniversary Edition (2 CD) (Original Recording Remastered)
Remastered
Friday Music 2009
RenaissanceRenaissance
Repertoire 1995
Novella Renaissance Sire LP 7526 US $8.00 Buy It Now 42m 39s
Renaissance Man by Eddie Adcock (CD, Feb-2005, Pinecastle) US $4.19 Buy It Now 54m 53s
Renaissance: Transitions, Vol. 3 by John Digweed (CD, Sep-2007, 2 Discs, Thri... US $0.89 [0 bids]
The Renaissance Band(Vinyl LP)The Renaissance Band-Brunswick-SXA 4536-UK-VG/Ex US $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Steve Lawler - Viva London 2CD New & Sealed RENAISSANCE EQ Au Pressing US $13.95 Buy It Now 1h 21m
RENAISSANCE (RENESANS)-Lot of 3 LP's, The First Yugoslav Early Music Ensemble US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Renaissance- Live Carnegie Hall 2 LP Sire Records 2XS 6029 VG+ NM US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
HEAR! Modern Soul Memphis 45 RENI Mr Lee on Renaissance US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 54m
RENAISSANCE PROLOGUE Tested 8 Track Tape New Pad ITALY TAPE US $50.00 Buy It Now 1h 59m
NEW Renaissance goes Jazz (Live-Aufnahme) by Compact Disc Book Free Shipping US $25.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
VALILOV - RENAISSANCE LUTE MUSIC NEW CD US $26.08 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Kalendra Maya: Medieval & Renaissance Music From 1200 to 1550 - Alfonso X; De .. US $8.76 Buy It Now 2h 21m
RENAISSANCE LIVE AT CARNEGIE HALL G/FOLD SLEEVE EX/EX 1976 DTM RECORDS EX/EX US $11.60 Buy It Now 2h 22m
BETRAYAL - RENAISSANCE BY DEATH CASSETTE US $1.50 [0 bids]
A New Beginning by La-Ventura (CD, 2008, Renaissance Records (USA US $1.69 [0 bids]
Spanish Music Of Renaissance/DECCA DL 79409 Stereo LP/New York Pro Mussica US $11.15 Buy It Now 2h 42m
JIM MCCARTY Frontman SEALED 2LP RSD 2014 Vinyl LP Yardbirds Renaissance US $15.95 Buy It Now 3h 3m
RENAISSANCE-S/T SELF-TITLED -VINYL LP RECORD-RARE ITALIAN IMPORT-SHRINK- US $24.92 Buy It Now 3h 24m
David Munrow Renaissance Dances Early Music Consort of London CD (2006) New US $18.24 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Renaissance Music - Music From The Courts Of Mantu [CD New] US $14.10 Buy It Now 3h 31m
Neumeyer/Collegium Terpsichore - Dances Of The Renaissance [CD New] US $12.98 Buy It Now 3h 31m
Adu - Brixton Renaissance [CD New] US $20.93 Buy It Now 3h 33m
UNPLAYED NM! Rock 45 RENAISSANCE Northern Lights on Sire US $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 43m
RENAISSANCE - ILLUSION [RENAISSANCE] [5013929733220] - NEW CD US $17.96 Buy It Now 3h 53m
PETE GOODING Viva Ibiza Nightlife MIXMAG DJ CD 2001 MINT RENAISSANCE CAFE MAMBO US $10.44 Buy It Now 4h 5m
Village People - Renaissance - LP Record VG+ VG+ US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 5m
FRENCH HARMONIA MUNDI FRENCH RENAISSANCE SONGS ENSEMBLE JANEQUIN US $5.99 [0 bids]
Moyen Age & Renaissance by Hesperion XX cd used US $3.00 [0 bids]
Renaissance/Novella/1977 Sire Gatefold LP/EX:EX !! US $16.58 Buy It Now 4h 44m
MEDIEVAL RENAISSANCE MUSIC FOR IRISH HARPS, POLONSKA-LP US $20.00 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Vanilla Fudge Renaissance Atco SD-33-244 Stereo Vinyl Record Album LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Post Mortem: the missing link cassette 1987 new renaissance records US $13.95 Buy It Now 4h 54m
45 RPM 1979 Renaissance Man D J phonograph record John Wayne Doc Randolph US $3.00 [0 bids]
Dances of the Renaissance cd used US $3.00 [1 bids]
5h
Renaissance - Scheherazade and Other Stories - LP - Shrink Wrap - MINT US $17.99 Buy It Now 5h 3m
RENAISSANCE Rare Sire 7" Picture Disc NORTHERN LIGHTS 45! US $19.95 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Renaissance-Branford Marsalis (CD) US $4.95 Buy It Now 5h 24m
FACTORY SEALED! Vanilla Fudge-Renaissance-Vinyl LP Record-Original Pressing-1968 US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 59m
Renaissance: The Mix Collection by Gui Boratto CD House Dance Trance DJ RARE OOP US $49.99 [0 bids]
WASHERWOMEN WAR & PEASE LP NY RENAISSANCE BAND ARBEAU ORCHESOGRAPHIE SEALED US $8.99 Buy It Now 6h 14m
Dreams & Omens-Live At Tower Theatre 1978 Philad - Renaissance New & Sealed CD F US $24.60 Buy It Now 6h 46m
Renaissance Pres. Platform Vol.1 Mixed by Paul Woolford (2CD) House / Techno CDs US $9.94 Buy It Now 6h 54m
Renaissance Pres. The Masters Series Part 19 Mixed by Francois K (2CD) VERY RARE US $16.58 Buy It Now 6h 54m
Renaissance Pres. Desire (2000) 2CD Mixed by Dave Seaman - House / Trance - RARE US $9.94 Buy It Now 6h 54m
Renaissance of Italian Music, New Music US $12.99 Buy It Now 7h 14m
The Renaissance of Arabic Classics for Clubbers AUDIO CASSETTE TAPE, Sealed, New US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 25m
RENAISSANCE BORN AGAIN VINYL LP STEREO1976 R7136 CHRISTIAN US $16.58 Buy It Now 7h 31m
Wanya Morris: Millennium Renaissance - Near Perfect US $4.65 Buy It Now 7h 35m
RENAISSANCE: Mary Jane / Daytime Lovers (rock & pop vinyl 45) US $18.00 Buy It Now 7h 44m
Sinners & Saints: The Ultimate Medieval and Renaissance Music used cd US $3.00 [1 bids]
JEFF BERNAT - MODERN RENAISSANCE (IMPORT) NEW CD US $41.34 Buy It Now 8h 8m
Renaissance - Take My Hand - Strictly Rhythm 12" VINYL US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 9m
Marcus Miller - Renaissance US $12.99 Buy It Now 8h 13m
RENAISSANCE SCHEHERAZADE MINI LP CD WITH OBI JAPAN--USA SELLER US $7.00 [1 bids]
WIND RIDERS - RENAISSANCE NATIVE AMERICAN FLUTE - CD US $13.45 Buy It Now 8h 36m
RENAISSANCE A Song For All LP 1978 prog EX + POSTER US $7.95 Buy It Now 8h 42m
Calliope A Renaissance Band~Music of 16th Century Italy~1978 Classical~FAST SHIP US $10.95 Buy It Now 8h 42m
DESPREZ / WESER-RENAISSANCE BREMEN / CORDES -RENAISSANCE BREMEN / CORDES NEW CD US $23.79 Buy It Now 8h 43m
O Magnum Mysterium: Christmas Music from Renaissance Eu US $13.21 Buy It Now 8h 43m
Garden of Delights - Elektra 1971 - 3 LP - Stooges, Josh White, Renaissance US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 44m
RENAISSANCE Azure D'or vinyl LP 1979 prog EX US $7.95 Buy It Now 8h 48m
ANNIE HASLAM & RENAISSANCE Grandine Il Vento RARE CD US $27.99 Buy It Now 8h 53m
Legends of Rock, Progressive: Rick Wakeman,Gentle Giant, Dixie Dregs,Renaissance US $6.77 Buy It Now 9h 8m
Renaissance: Revelation by Nick Warren used cd US $3.00 [0 bids]
MEDIEVAL RENAISSANCE SONGS DANCES THE ANTIQUA MUSICA CASSETTE - ERASMUS WIDMANN US $16.76 Buy It Now 9h 34m
RENAISSANCE LIVE AT CARNEGIE HALL 2 (TWO!) lp albums, GREAT GATEFOLD COVER TOO! US $5.95 Buy It Now 9h 37m
M PEOPLE Renaissance PICTURE SLEEVE 7" 45 record + juke box title strip RARE! US $6.51 Buy It Now 9h 57m
Used CD - The Association - Renaissance US $19.99 Buy It Now 10h
Joseph Iadone "The Art Of The Lute" Sealed CD Renaissance Medieval Early Music US $7.00 [0 bids]
10h
1963 FRANZOSISCHE LAVTENMVSIK DER RENAISSANCE 10" LP-MINT VINYL-COVER N,MINT US $7.99 Buy It Now 10h 16m
RENAISSANCE The Association VLS-25004 LP Ad3746 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Renaissance Liv?e At Carnegie Hall 1976 Sire Records 2SX 6029 Dbl Lp US $3.95 Buy It Now 10h 47m
VINYL LP Renaissance - Live At Carnegie Hall / 2LP / Sire SASY-3902-2 US $11.99 Buy It Now 11h 7m
DIVA - Renaissance (7th Album) KOREA CD *NEW* $2.99 S/H US $14.99 Buy It Now 11h 8m
King Biscuit Flower Hour by Renaissance (CD, Feb-1997) Annie Haslam US $0.99 [1 bids]
Raw As You Wanna Be (CD Soundtrack, 1996, Renaissance) LIKE NEW US $3.99 [0 bids]
Modern Renaissance by Jeff Bernat (CD, Dec-2013) US $32.05 Buy It Now 11h 34m
JIM WEISS - MASTERS OF THE RENAISSANCE NEW CD US $20.38 Buy It Now 11h 42m
Calliope- Dances- A Renaissance Revel- 1982-New and Sealed- US $14.99 Buy It Now 11h 44m
BABE RUTH CD One Way 56845 '93 Reissue PROG (Renaissance, Heart, Earth and Fire) US $19.99 [0 bids]
Vanilla Fudge / Renaissance US $12.00 [0 bids]
Renaissance by Lionel Richie (CD, Mar-2001, Island (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Kaori Okui - Renaissance US $2.99 Buy It Now 12h 40m
RENAISSANCE Live At Carnegie Hall 2-LP Sire 1976 Symphonic Prog-Rock US $8.95 Buy It Now 12h 43m
RENAISSANCE Faeries (Living At The Bottom Of My Garden) 45 rpm PICTURE SLEEVE US $9.95 Buy It Now 12h 48m
CLAUDE LE JEUNE - CHANTS DE LA RENAISSANCE, H-71001 NONESUCH US $8.75 Buy It Now 13h 2m
All The King's Men Henry VIII Princes Renaissance by I FAGIOLINI US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 5m
Music CD - Renaissance The Classics 3CD 2005 Dance Music US $18.57 Buy It Now 13h 33m
CICONIA DUFAY ISAAC ceremonial music of the renaissance LP TELEFUNKEN SAWT 9524  US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 35m
Vanilla Fudge Renaissance 1968 LP Psychadelic Rock ATCO SD 33-244 US $10.00 [0 bids]
THE BYRDS: Renaissance Fair / My Back Pages [Columbia, 45] - Ships WORLDWIDE! US $6.95 Buy It Now 13h 54m
SEALED Arion Renaissance LP SONGS AT THE COURT OF CHARLES V KING OF SPAIN US $19.99 Buy It Now 14h 20m
Branford Marsalis RENAISSANCE - Vinyl LP US $8.95 Buy It Now 14h 28m
The Renaissance Lute Lutz Kirchhof Austria CD US $24.69 Buy It Now 14h 31m
Voices Of Ascension: From Chant To Renaissance, New Music US $12.87 Buy It Now 14h 32m
Renaissance by Josh Rosenthal (CD, 2008) pop CD NEW US $2.99 [0 bids]
Music Of Renaissance, Baroque, New Music US $12.12 Buy It Now 15h 2m
Beyond Chant: Mysteries Of The Renaissance, New Music US $10.73 Buy It Now 15h 3m
SINE NOMINE SINGERS Baroque & Renaissance CHORAL UK US $14.99 Buy It Now 15h 18m
THE BEATLES RENAISSANCE MINSTRELS VOLUME 1 LP 762 US $49.99 Buy It Now 15h 25m

More places to buy RENAISSANCE music online Buy RENAISSANCE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RENAISSANCE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RENAISSANCE Turn Of The Cards & Scheherazade And Other Stories - Live In Concert ratings distribution

RENAISSANCE Turn Of The Cards & Scheherazade And Other Stories - Live In Concert reviews

Review by ProgShine
COLLABORATOR Errors & Omissions and Crossover Team
4 stars I must say, I'm impressed with this release!

Renaissance is a long affair, since they were one of the first Progressive bands I knew back more than a decade ago with their classic Ashes Are Burning (1973).

When I've heard of the reunion back on 2009, and about their new EP release in 2010 (The Mystic And The Muse) I was concerned, like in every 'reunion', cause most of the time, for me, it sucks. Not here, the EP cited above was great, 3 songs with the old Renaissance sound, but fresh cause of the all new band. (Ive reviewed it here on PA: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=290114)

When I first give a spin in this Live In Concert I was blown away. So good, and so much into the 70's sound, as if it was a recording made back in 1975 and not 23th September of 2011. Glenside, PA (where it was recorded) was a happy crowd, I can say, for sure.

It's incredible how Annie Haslam's voice is still the same even if she is 58 years old now. Michael Dunfor still the same guy, you don't really notice him, but his acoustic guitar is fundamental in their sound. The new band is amazing, two keyboard players to make it really symphonic (Rave Cesar and Jason Hart), the amazing bass player David J. Keyes, when most of the new bass players ruin the 70's Prog sound with low end tones David honour the name of the GREAT Jon Camp with the medium-high pitch he was known for. Completing the team we have Frank Pagano on drums, very professional.

The 2CD/DVD bundle can be bought exclusively throught their website here: http://renaissancetouring.com/dvd/

A real Trip To The Fair in all senses.

Send comments to ProgShine (BETA) | Report this review (#642201) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 27, 2012

Review by Gatot
4 stars A Trip To a Beautiful Past ...

I only knew the band quite late, I think sometime at the late seventies or early eighties through the band's Scheherazade And Other Stories album that really hooked me at first listen especially with its seminal epic Song of Scheherazade that run more than 24 minutes. It was not as so energetic as Supper's Ready or Close to The Edge or Gates of Delirium but ... it gave me different taste of prog especially on the use of orchestra. Well...actually it was not that good in terms of record as what I first had was cassette format. When I got the CD, then I felt different especially during the silent segments where using cassette produced many noises. But that was then and it's funny lately that I found interesting to play back my cassette that I purchased at early eighty and played on TANDBERG TCD 440A, it really sounds great even at the silent segments. But that's just this Scheherazade album while the other album Turn of Cards I only got the CD version sometime in early 2000.

And now I never imagined that finally I can see the band reunited in 2011 and play their two seminal albums in its entirety live recorded at the Keswick Theatre in Glenside, PA USA on September 23 2011. Over two hours of Renaissance live performance of the two albums that I already reviewed the studio version at this site. I always enjoy the live versions like the other CDs that I have i.e. Live at Carnegie Hall and those from King Biscuit something. But this DVD and two CDs of course is different because they are (Annie and Michael) already old. Surprisingly, Annie's voice is still great!

The set comprises two acts: 1. Turn of the Cards and 2. Scheherazade and Other Stories with track listing is exactly the same as studio version.

Turn of The Cards is basically an excellent symphonic prog album. The performance starts with the opening track "Running Hard" (9:37) that kicks off with quite complex improvisations of piano in a combined style of jazz and classical music. But when the music enters, the song has catchy melody especially when Annie Haslam's voice enters the music. It is really enjoyable as it moves naturally from one segment to another, smoothly. The following "I think of you" (3:07) is a pop-orientated song with some sort of folk music styles through the acoustic guitar rhythm section. Combined with the sound of clavinet, it makes this song richer in textures. The bass guitar lines are quite tight accompanying the music from start to end. It then moves into more energetic beats with "Things i don't understand" (9:29) which again using tight bass guitar lines as beat keeper as well as dynamic groove that moves the music of this song. The Annie's vocal line turns into high register notes during interlude part in a chanting style, while guitar still dominate the rhythm section. It's nice to notice the choir section in the middle of this track.

"Black Flame" (6:23) starts with an ambient nuance with acoustic guitar fills as great soft background and bass guitar brings the music in the smooth flow. Some string orchestration has enriched some segments couple of shots just before the vocal line enters the music. Again, the melody of this song is quite catchy. The clavinet work makes the music much interesting to enjoy especially during the movements with drum work and when it returns to quieter segment. It's one of my favorite Renaissance tracks. "Cold is being" (3:00) starts off with church organ sound and the melody is quite familiar with most of us. "Mother Russia" (9:18) is a great epic which moves dynamically with the band's brilliant composition that moves the music ups and downs, stirring my emotion. This song is not just wonderful in terms of melody but also in its wonderful flow from one segment to another. The string section work makes the music is richer. Another great song by Renaissance. No wonder if this track is featured in the trailer that promotes this DVD / CD live set.

The Act 2 kicks off beautifully with a nice and warm "Trip To The Fair" (10:48) that might give you a trip to happiness and peace of mind to the beautiful past.... (in the case of having this DVD/CD live set). The soprano vocal quality of Annie Haslam characterizes the style of this track as well as overall music style of Renaissance which some have called it as a folky art rock music. I don't blame them saying that as the other two tracks "The Vultures Fly High" (3:07) and "Ocean Gypsy" (7:05) as well as the opening track can be categorized that way. I have to add another quality : "melodic". Yes, almost all tracks featured here are melodic, accompanied with acoustic guitar, piano and orchestra. Wonderful composition.

The key performance featured here is the epic "Song Of Scheherazade" (24:52) which comprises nine parts. This is a story-orientated music that represents the band's interpretation of Rimsky-Korsakov's "Scheherazade" which was composed with a full orchestra and string. From the intro "Fanfare" with a beautiful orchestration, nice piano in relatively complex arrangement the epic moves to a silent passage "The Betrayal" wonderfully. The segment has become very touchy when Jon Camp gives his vocals augmented by Annie Haslam. The epic has a powerful lyrics as it tells a story about how Scheherazade was fighting for her life whom she was sentenced to death toll by The Sultan. The Sultan had been killing many beautiful girls (his wives) every night after he found out his wife was unfaithful to him. To delay her death she told story to the Sultan every night for 1000 nights and she remained his wife for the rest of their days. What a heroic story. But most interestingly, every segment of the epic contains wonderfully crafted music performed live at its best.

The package is quite good as well, housed in a deluxe DVD digibook styled case with a great little booklet filled with color photos. For the loyal fan, this is a must own, as it's really the first time in the band's history that a full color, full concert has been recorded & filmed for release. This current line-up of the band really is on a roll now, and they are also in the process of raising funding to help with the recording of their first new original material in over 10 years. It's an excellent package. Keep on proggin' ..!!

Peace on aerth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#1066300) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 25, 2013

3 stars I thank Haslam and Dunford for bringing Renaissance back. Anyone who owns the albums covered in this concert will be delighted to watch it. But at the same time this show was a little bit depressing: shots of the audience show that only old farts like myself bother to go to a Renaissance gig. ... (read more)

Report this review (#849311) | Posted by moodyxadi | Saturday, November 03, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Nearly four years back, Renaissance released a DVD with two concerts from the 70s, the one from 1976 being especially spectacular. But it was compiled from near bootleg class videos and didn't get a great response. There were complaints that the 'product' was not 'world class' (whatever that ... (read more)

Report this review (#661654) | Posted by rogerthat | Saturday, March 17, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RENAISSANCE "Turn Of The Cards & Scheherazade And Other Stories - Live In Concert"