I HATE TO SING

- Arturo O'Farrill / piano, organ, voice
- Steve Swallow / bass, voice, drums
- D. Sharpe / drums, voice

LP WATT/12 1/2

Thanks to Evolver for the addition

CARLA BLEY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARLA BLEY I Hate To Sing Music

I Hate to SingI Hate to Sing
Ecm Records 1997
I Hate to SingI Hate to Sing
WATT/ECM
Vinyl$27.98 (used)

More places to buy CARLA BLEY music online Buy CARLA BLEY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CARLA BLEY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CARLA BLEY I Hate To Sing ratings distribution

CARLA BLEY I Hate To Sing reviews

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars Fans of Carla Bley's album released as "Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports" should enjoy this album. It has a similar tongue in cheek humor style, and while it is somewhat jazzier and less rock, it still has some great music.

Half was recorded live in concert, the other half live in a studio, much of the album showcases the band's ...errrr... singing ability.

The LP (yes, I only have the record - the CD apparently has extra material) begins with Bley herself singing about her impending Murder (don't worry, the police save her). The song is creepy and spooky, with an intentionally silly overblown ending. Pianist Arturo O'Farrill get to sing about wanting a vocal part that isn't Very Very Simple. It's a great song, but worth it for the drum solo alone. Then, drummer D. Sharpe gets to tell us that I Hate To Sing. It's priceless.

Side two is mostly instrumental, with The Piano Lesson, which builds from the band warming up into a raucus work made up of scales and etudes. The Lone Arranger follows, a loping piece depicting the American west. And Battleship, a wonderful work of progressive big band closes out the album.

While this album is just barely fusion, it is fantastic.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#643715) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 01, 2012

Post a review of CARLA BLEY "I Hate To Sing"