FÖLD ÉS ÉG

After Crying

After Crying Föld és ég album cover

Buy AFTER CRYING Music
Studio Album, released in 1994

1. Manticore érkezése I (1:50)
2. Manticore érkezése II (6:37)
3. Enigma (1:25)
4. Rondo (3:40)
5. Zene gitárra (3:20)
6. Leltár(4:02)
7. Cisz-Dór koncertetüd (3:22)
8. Puer natus in Betlehem (6:02)
9. Júdás (9:40)
10. Bár éjszaka van (7:06)
11. Kétezer év (13:20)

- Balázs Winkler / trumpet, synthesizer, vocals
- László Gacs / drums, percussion
- Gábor Egervári / flute
- Ferenc Torma / guitar, vocals

Periferic Records (BG CD 002)

and to NotAProghead for the last updates

AFTER CRYING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy AFTER CRYING Föld és ég Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
XXV - Anniversary ConcertXXV - Anniversary Concert
Audio CD$20.69 (used)
After Crying ShowAfter Crying Show
Periferic 2003
Studio Kft 1999

More places to buy AFTER CRYING music online Buy AFTER CRYING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for AFTER CRYING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

AFTER CRYING Föld és ég ratings distribution

AFTER CRYING Föld és ég reviews

Review by Steve Hegede
4 stars Well, I've been able to test out several AFTER CRYING albums. Most of them are quite good, except when the band sings in English. However, the thing that really stood out about this band is that, most importantly, they tend to try out new ideas with each new album. So, as impressed as I was with "Megalázottak és Megszomorítottak", that style would rarely get re-visited on later albums. 1994's "Fold Es Eg" is another great album. Listeners will instantly notice that the band, at the time, seemed interested in Keith EMERSON's compositional style. Not surprisingly, about 3/5 of the CD features ELP-influenced compositions, and the guy that stands out on most tracks is pianist/keyboardist Csaba Vedres. But, just when you think that the whole CD consists of ELP-like playing, your ears are treated to what sounds like Hungarian church chanting/singing. Well, I can't really explain it, but it sounds like a combination of Gregorian chanting mixed with BEACH BOYS harmonies. The Hungarian vocals are certainly not the band's strongest aspect, but they are far from horrible; although the Hungarian language might take getting use to. Overall, this is certainly one of AFTER CRYING's best albums.

Send comments to Steve Hegede (BETA) | Report this review (#560) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 21, 2004

Review by lor68
4 stars Well this is the most "keyboard-oriented" album by AFTER CRYING (A. C. for short), even though honestly I decided to give a major score after listening to the re-mastered version of such "Fold Es Eg". Nevertheless this album is always in the vein of EMERSON LAKE & PALMER, except on the splendid last track, regarding such a personal and unique style by A. C., which is alone well worth checking out!! Of course if you consider the emulation of Keith EMERSON only, my rate is a bit inferior (4 stars at most), but the output of the re-mastered version should have to sound better in every Hi-fi stereo system. Recommended!!

NEW PERSONAL UPDATE: MAY, 20 2010:

I like to express some other opinions about it, also regarding of a new re-mastered version of my own, which let "Fold čs čg" be a better version from the point of view of the quality sound engineering. Well apart from the idea of the keyboardist to emulate Emerson, the tune "Rondo" for example is a very faithful and honest recreation of the famous piece by Nice !! Instead, talking about "Manticore", that's the intelligent combination of the "Emerson bombastic style" with the vocal airy melody, this one being anyway pleasant; nevertheless "Leltŕr" features a Gregorian Mood, which is the most interesting and less derivative part of the album !! Besides the solemn atmosphere created by the trumpet in the track "Puer natus in Bethlehem", is another typical A.C. trademark and moreover the re-master earns in terms of sound impact and brilliance as well...finally the closing section of the 13 minutes "Kčtezer čv", which grows in dynamics and intensity too, as long as they almost reach the perfection...once again I'm not tired when I listen to it... a true MUST-HAVE!!

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#561) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
4 stars The heavy presence of the piano that made ‘Overground Music’ so enjoyable is back on ‘Föld És Ég’. The previous ‘Megalázottak és Megszomorítottak’ was a great progression for the band in terms of the broader use of stringed and brass instrumentation and some longer compositions, but one of the things that really attracted me to After Crying in the first place was the melodic and classical bent of the piano arrangements, and those were few and far between on ‘Megalázottak és Megszomorítottak’.

Not the case here, as the first sounds of the opening “Manticore Érkezése I” and some of the last notes of the closing “Kétezer Év” are Vedres Csaba’s energetic fingers on his keys, and the sound is like music to my ears. Oh, I guess that is literally true – never mind.

“Manticore Érkezése” I and II remind me just a bit of Ekseption, and maybe even Carnegie the way the piano makes this sound like classical music with a little modern kick to it, and Pejtsik Péter’s synthesizer gives an added boost to these two very buoyant compositions. The light and spacious “Cisz-Dór Koncertetüd” is basically a piano recital, and “Rondo” is also centered on mostly piano, this one with a bit of a ragtime feel to it.

The band is clearly finding their groove by now as well, with a much extended collection of songs compared to their first two rather short studio albums. This one clocks in at more than an hour, and the most of the band’s next several albums and compilations will all range from over seventy minutes to more than two hours.

The band’s fondness for chamber chorals is evident here once again, with tracks like “Enigma”, “Leltár”, and “Kétezer Év” being heavily structured around these harmonies.

One surprise is Torma Ferenc on guitar, an instrument that was non-existent on the band’s previous two albums. But the acoustic guitar on “Zene Gitárra” where the guitar complements the ever-present bird sounds to make for a relaxing interlude between the longer and more symphonic tracks, and the guitars in general play a fairly minor role on the rest of the album.

But the brass is strangely subdued on this album. I say strangely because the band made such an effort to feature their various horns on the last album. The two exceptions are the almost spiritual “Puer Natus in Betlehem” and, to a lesser extent “Júdás”, where the trumpet plays a key role, but that’s about the only brass to be found on this album.

The only drawback I can hear on this album is on “Bár Éjszaka Van” with its long spoken- word passages that are pretty much lost on anyone who doesn’t speak Hungarian, and especially since there is very little instrumentation behind the vocals except a bit of cello, piano, and the sporadic drums.

This is another After Crying album I find to be soothing, introspective, and very, very well-constructed. I should probably take the time to delve into the lyrics a bit more at some point, but actually I’m so relaxed right now listening to it that I really can’t be bothered. I’m actually having trouble just finding the energy to tap this out on the keyboard. In fact, I think I’ll restart the album right now and play it through again while I sit on the porch and enjoy the cool spring rain. You go get this album and try it yourself – it’s well worth it. Four stars.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#124409) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 02, 2007

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
4 stars The first impression that this album leaves is of a sort of follow-up or tribute to the most orchestral things of EL&P. "Manticore érkezése" (The Coming of the Manticore) is a clear remind to them since its title. Not all the track (both Part I and II) as well as not all the album is a tribute to ELP. Effectively the last two minutesof Manticore érkezése Part II and many other moments in the album are not totally ELP oriented, and are also my preferred parts.

This means that the worst parts of this album sound like Emerson Lake and Palmer!!! Can you imagine how the best parts are?

"Enigma" is one of the tracks with less affinities with ELP. The classical athmosphere built by cymbals and choir then brasses makes them more close to Arvo Part.

Bass Piano and Drums on "Rondo" remind to Works or to some parts of Trilogy, instead. A very nice instrumental track that could have been recorded on Works, specially for the "fast- ragtime" section. Highly enjoyable.

"Zene Gitarra" (Guitar Music) is what the track's title says: a good classical guitar solo with some hints of bossa-nova sometimes, but mainly oriented to classic. Steve Hackett would like it. Also the birds in the backround.

A church choir makes "Leltar"(Inventory). This song has some affinity with some alpine traditional music: not the yodel, of course. I mean the choral music typical of the alpine area. It may be a reminescence of the Austro-Hungarian empire. The trumpet on its final is fantasticly sad.

"Cissz-Dór koncertetüd" I think, but I'm not sure, that's an excerpt from a piece of classical music. It should mean "Concert in C minor".

"Puer Natus In Betlehem" is Latin, not Hungarian (Child born in Betlehem). Is another classical oriented track. For my tastes it's a symphonic masterpiece. The orchestra is lead by the trumpet. It's unusual to hear a trumpet leading a piece (unless we are speaking of jazz and of Miles Davis, of course).

"Judas" starts very darkly with the trumpet still leading, as it was the end of the story of the Betlehem child, but it suddenly transforms into a pure progressive-rock suite on which all the instruments have their room. The melody on the singed part makes me think to Vangelis, but I don't know why. Maybe something in the melody, but at the same time this melody is easily recognizable as belonging to the After Crying, not only becuase it's sung in Hungarian. "The choir "Judas" on the chorus may remind also to "Poor ole Judas" on Jesus Christ Superstar, but it's just a coincidence. The electric guitar backing the vocals in the second part of the song is not a great idea in my opinion, but this makes sense later when trumpet and guitar share the audience by sounding and responding. The flute remains always in the back, but the few parts on which it becomes evident demonstrate the skill of the flutist.

"Bár éjszaka van" (Even if it's night) is as the title says, what I call a "blue effect" song. Imagine to listen to it in a hot summer night. A relaxing environment but far from sleeping. "Blue Effect" is the light use in Theatre and sometimes in movies to simulate the night. It's the moonlight. This is a song made of moonlight.

The closure is a folky track based mainly on piano and voice: "Kétezer év" (2000 years). It's the best conclusion to an album entitled "Föld és ég" (Earth and Sky).

4+ stars

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#298150) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 09, 2010

4 stars You know how you used to dance when you were really little? All twiddling fingers and wiggling toes? Well for about half of this album you will be transported back to that inner child and have no more ability to prevent yourself from dancing like that again than would a puppet with a particularl ... (read more)

Report this review (#284619) | Posted by stranded_starfish | Wednesday, June 02, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars AFTER CRYING are a must-listen for fans of EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER style piano-heavy music, and a recommended excursion for everyone else. 'Föld És Ég' is an album with two distinct personalities, the first and initially most prominent being the rip-roaring, dance-at-your-steering-wheel ELP impres ... (read more)

Report this review (#284603) | Posted by simbelmyne | Wednesday, June 02, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars So this is the big change for After Crying, now we have "After Crying - the prog rock band" and dropping a the "ensemble format". The music on "Fold es Eg" is complex as always but with a notable rock feel. Most people would be delighted hearing the opening of the album "Manticore érkezése (p ... (read more)

Report this review (#45059) | Posted by Prosciutto | Wednesday, August 31, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars This was the first album I ever heard from this Hungarian group. After reading some good things about them I decided to give it a shot. I do not remember why it was this particular album that I decided to purchase but it was probably because of some good reviews. All I can say that my disappointm ... (read more)

Report this review (#39036) | Posted by geezer | Sunday, July 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of AFTER CRYING "Föld és ég"