FROM TRAGEDY

Southern Cross From Tragedy album cover

Buy SOUTHERN CROSS Music
Studio Album, released in 2012

1. Tightrope (10:18)
2. Between The Lines (7:51)
3. Carousel (5:18)
4. Invisible Roads (3:35)
5. Reaching The Bottom (5:51)
6. Poetry (10:30)
7. Violento (bonus) (4:58)

Total time: 48:21

Search SOUTHERN CROSS From Tragedy lyrics

Search SOUTHERN CROSS From Tragedy tabs

- David Lizotte / Lead vocal, Guitars
- Olivier Perrier-Maurel / Guitars, Back vocals
- Jean-François Boudreault / Bass, Back vocals
- Antoine Guertin / Drums / Synths, Back vocals

SC Productions 28th February 2012

Thanks to progmetalhead for the addition

SOUTHERN CROSS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SOUTHERN CROSS From Tragedy Music

Down BelowDown Below
CD Baby 2009
ZenkyoushuuZenkyoushuu
Crown 2004
THE SNAKES OF SHAKE - Southern Cross - (7" Vinyl PS - 1985 - TBC GOBS1) VG/VG US $1.65 [0 bids]
OST LP SOPHIE'S CHOICE MARVIN HAMLISCH 1983 SOUTHERN CROSS NM NEAR MINT US $13.48 Buy It Now 3h 50m
THE BAND NORTHERN LIGHTS SOUTHERN CROSS CAPITOL LP JAPAN US $18.32 Buy It Now 7h 10m
The Band, 'Northern Lights - Southern Cross' [VINYL][1st Edition][EX][1975] US $15.00 [0 bids]
BAND LP, Northern Lights - Southern Cross (CAPITOL US Issue EX/EX) US $18.11 Buy It Now 12h 17m
Southern Cross - Down Below [CD New] US $15.05 Buy It Now 14h 53m
Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross - Original Sound Track / Japan LP / OBI US $22.99 Buy It Now 15h 58m
THE BAND Northern Lights Southern Cross JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD 10 TRKS TOCP-95111 US $27.99 Buy It Now 18h 30m
The Band "Northern Lights-Southern Cross" LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
Conyngham "Southern Cross / Monuments" CD, Cala, Made in UK by PDO 1992 US $4.95 Buy It Now 20h 24m
BAND, THE northern lights southern cross VG/VG JAPAN ECS-80392 | 14-0320-159 US $15.99 Buy It Now 20h 27m
SNAKES OF SHAKE southern cross LP 9 track (gobl1) uk tense but confident 1985 US $17.42 Buy It Now 1 day
SOUTHERN CROSS - DOWN BELOW NEW CD US $21.90 Buy It Now 1 day
James Galway Songs Of The Southern Cross Vinyl Album US $21.17 Buy It Now 1 day
VG++ THE AMES BROTHERS SOUTHERN CROSS/GOTTA BE THIS OR THAT 45 RPM RCA 6117 US $4.98 Buy It Now 1 day
BAND, THE - NORTHERN LIGHTS SOUTHERN CROSS - NEW CD US $11.64 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BAND "NM WAX" Northern Lights, Southern Cross ECS-80392 LP Ae6115 US $4.99 [0 bids]
"Sophie's Choice" Marvin Hamlisch Soundtrack Record Album Southern Cross 1002 US $5.00 [0 bids]
THE BAND: Northern Lights - Southern Cross LP CAPITOL RECORDS ST11440 US 1975  US $26.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BAND - NORTHERN LIGHTS-SOUTHERN CROSS (IMPORT) NEW CD US $35.25 Buy It Now 2 days
SOUTHERN CROSS - FROM TRAGEDY NEW CD US $24.57 Buy It Now 2 days
SNAKES OF SHAKE southern cross 12" 3 trk b/w part 2 and you walk (gobs121) pic s US $8.29 Buy It Now 2 days
AMES BROTHERS: Gotta Be This Or That / Southern Cross (RCA, 45) Ships WORLDWIDE! US $2.50 Buy It Now 2 days
BAND Northern Lights Southern Cross 8 Track tape US $14.88 Buy It Now 2 days
Crosby Stills & Nash Southern Cross / Into the Darkness 45 w Pic Sleeve US $0.99 [0 bids]
Band Northern Lights Southern Cross Origin SEALED LP Levon Helm Robbie Robertson US $37.99 Buy It Now 3 days
King Kong Soundtrack Southern Cross Audiophile Press ULTRASONIC Cleaned US $28.80 Buy It Now 3 days
PHIL MANZERA SOUTHERN CROSS FRENCH PRESS EXPRESSION 506236 US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BAND Northern Lights - Southern Cross LP VG+ US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Sto Cazzo! by Sweep the Leg Johnny (CD, May-2000, Southern Cross Records (USA)) US $1.49 [0 bids]
THE BAND-NORTHERN LIGHTS SOUTHERN CROSS-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD BONUS TRACK G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Carter Family Together CD Brand New Sealed Import Maybelle Southern Cross US $5.09 Buy It Now 3 days
LIVING STEREO 45.ROBERT RUSSELL BENNETT.GUADALCANAL MARCH/BENEATH SOUTHERN CROSS US $2.50 [0 bids]
Rare Isabella Self-Titled CD Acapella Southern Cross University Japan US $6.99 [0 bids]
BAND - NORTHERN LIGHTS-SOUTHERN CROSS [CD NEW] US $7.65 Buy It Now 4 days
THE BAND NORTHERN LIGHTS SOUTHERN CROSS LP RECORD VG++ US $12.00 Buy It Now 4 days
CROSBY, STILLS & NASH Southern Cross WLP PROMO DJ COPY45 w/PICT SLEEVE STEREO NM US $6.99 Buy It Now 4 days
The Band Northern Lights-Southern Cross Japan CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 4 days
SNAKES OF SHAKE Southern Cross 7" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing US $9.89 Buy It Now 4 days
LP - HOLLAND PRESS - THE BAND (NORTHERN LIGHTS SOUTHERN CROSS) - 1975 + INNER US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Southern Cross - From Tragedy NEW CD US $19.09 Buy It Now 4 days
Phil Manzanera Southern Cross Cassette US $4.99 [0 bids]
HARMONICATS - SOUTHERN CROSS // BO DIDDLEY - ORIGINAL + MERCURY SLEEVE CLEAN US $3.75 [0 bids]
SOUTHERN CROSS Queen Of Rock And Roll RARE Oz LASER 45 Rock (BUFFALO) 45 N/Mint US $89.99 Buy It Now 4 days
THE BAND - NORTHERN LIGHTS-SOUTHERN CROSS [BONUS TRACKS] [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $7.65 Buy It Now 4 days
Crosby Stills and Nash-Southern Cross +Live It Up (2 jukebox strips for Orig 45 US $2.50 [0 bids]
BUSHWACKERS Beneath The Southern Cross LP NM Vinyl US $9.31 Buy It Now 4 days
THE BAND-NORTHERN LIGHTS SOUTHERN CROSS-LP-VINYL-IMPORT-ITALY-FACTORY SEALED-NEW US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
BAND - NORTHERN LIGHTS SOUTHERN CROSS - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $14.28 Buy It Now 5 days
RAZOR'S EDGE JACK NITZSCHE 1984 SOUTHERN CROSS SEALED US $13.48 Buy It Now 5 days
Phil Manzanera - Southern Cross JAPAN CD 1990 VICTOR MUSIC VICP-52 12-Track US $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
PHIL MANZANERA-Southern Cross Japan1st press CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 5 days
THE BAND NORTHERN LIGHTS SOUTHERN CROSS +++ DYLAN'S PLANET WAVES WITH THE BAND US $8.00 Buy It Now 5 days
The Band - Northern Lights-Southern Cross "Excellent Condition" Tested US $4.99 Buy It Now 5 days
#HEAR# SOUTHERN CROSS SCRS-1007 THE LAST STARFIGHTER CRAIG SAFAN OST STEREO LP US $39.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Southern Cross - From Tragedy [CD New] US $15.67 Buy It Now 5 days
BAND: Northern Lights, Southern Cross LP (inner sleeve, punch hole, some cw) Ro US $18.00 Buy It Now 5 days
The Band Northern Lights Southern Cross LP 1975 Capitol ST 11440 Vinyl Record US $7.50 Buy It Now 5 days
THE BAND-NORTHERN LIGHTS SOUTHERN CROSS-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [0 bids]
Southern Cross by Phil Manzanera/new cd/Roxy Music/Split Enz US $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
SOUTHERN CROSS-RUNNING-12" SINGLE-FLUID RECORDINGS UK US $3.50 [0 bids]
THE BAND NORTHERN LIGHT SOUTHERN CROSS US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
THE BAND NORTHERN LIGHTS-SOUTHERN CROSS 2 EXTRA TRACKS REMASTERED CD NEW US $13.96 Buy It Now 6 days
CROSBY STILLS & NASH - Southern cross - 1982 US 7" US $8.29 Buy It Now 6 days
Band - Northern Lights-Southern Cross CD US $12.59 Buy It Now 6 days
Southern Cross - From Tragedy CD US $20.32 Buy It Now 6 days
CROSBY STILL & NASH promo 45 ATLANTIC Southern Cross short/long version NM US $6.95 Buy It Now 6 days
SOUTHERN CROSS SOLOISTS - SAMUEL WAGAN WATSON: SMOKE ENC - MR301140 US $22.75 Buy It Now 6 days
The Band: Northern Lights Southern Cross - 1975 vinyl LP - Capitol ST-11440 US $7.50 [0 bids]
Northern Lights-Southern Cross [Bonus Tracks] [Remaster] by The Band (CD,... US $3.99 [0 bids]
The Ames Brothers 45RPM Record "Southern Cross/Gotta be this or that" RCA 6117 US $2.99 Buy It Now 6 days
OST BERNARD HERRMANN BATTLE OF NERETVA RARE SOUTHERN CROSS SOUNDTRACK CD 5005 US $19.99 [0 bids]
THE BAND northern lights southern cross JPN NEW CD W/OB US $37.99 Buy It Now 6 days
?? ???? ???????? DISC.2 ??? - Japan CD NEW Los Primos MORI YUJI US $14.24 Buy It Now 6 days
Original 1981 JAMES GALWAY Songs Of The Southern Cross LP Vinyl Record ALBUM 12" US $2.49 Buy It Now 7 days
4 7" singles by the Ames Bros."Southern Cross/ 49 Shades/This Or That/No One" US $2.99 Buy It Now 7 days
SOUTHERN CROSS/SAME TITLE JPN SKS1046 JAPANESE PUNK US $21.00 Buy It Now 7 days
PATCHBAY - SOUTHERN CROSS (UK) NEW CD US $29.15 Buy It Now 7 days
THE BAND Northern Lights Southern Cross 1998 JAPAN MINI LP sleeve CD issue US $28.00 Buy It Now 7 days
BUSHWACKERS BAND: Beneath The Southern Cross LP (Australia, VG+ gatefold cover US $25.00 Buy It Now 7 days
THE BAND "NM WAX" Northern Lights, Southern Cross ECS-80392 LP Ad5541 US $24.99 Buy It Now 7 days
CROSBY, STILLS, NASH & YOUNG Southern Cross & Wasted On The Way 7" 45 record NEW US $16.75 Buy It Now 7 days
Barton Beath Cheney Southern Cross Soloists - Smoke Encrypted Whispers CD US $25.43 Buy It Now 7 days
JAPAN ANIME OST SOUTHERN CROSS Shower Cologne LP w/OBI Insert ANIMAGE US $24.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Band - Northern Lights-Southern Cross [SACD New] US $27.51 Buy It Now 8 days
vintage The Band Northern Lights-Southern Cross LP record on Capitol NICE!! US $9.99 Buy It Now 8 days
PHIL SHOENFELT & SOUTHERN CROSS - PARANOIA DOT COM US $13.98 Buy It Now 8 days
King Kong-Max Steiner Score-Southern Cross! US $19.99 Buy It Now 8 days
THE BAND LP NORTHEN LIGHTS SOUTHERN CROSS US $9.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross II - TV SOUNDTRACK / Japan LP / OBI US $24.99 Buy It Now 8 days
JAMES GALWAY - SOUTHERN CROSS - SIGNED OZ LP US $19.56 Buy It Now 9 days
Bushwackers - Beneath The Southern Cross - OZ LP record US $9.13 Buy It Now 9 days
PHIL MANZANERA SOUTHERN CROSS CD (AGENDA 1991 BRAND 4 US $5.99 Buy It Now 9 days
The Band Lp Northern Lights Southern Cross Capitol records US $11.65 Buy It Now 9 days
THE BAND "NM WAX" Northern Lights, Southern Cross 1975 Japan Press OBI LP a4815 US $39.99 Buy It Now 9 days
CROSBY STILLS & NASH SOUTHERN CROSS INTO THE DARKNESS NEAR MINT 1982 US $4.15 Buy It Now 10 days
The Band - Northern Lights, Southern Cross - Mobile Fidelity - SACD - New US $29.00 Buy It Now 11 days
PHIL MANZANERA - Southern Cross - Japan CD - 12Tracks US $23.74 Buy It Now 11 days
The Band Northern Lights Southern Cross LP 1975 Capitol ST 11440 Vinyl Record US $11.39 Buy It Now 11 days
THE BAND -: Northern Lights - Southern Cross 1975 LP NM- US $14.95 Buy It Now 11 days

More places to buy SOUTHERN CROSS music online Buy SOUTHERN CROSS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SOUTHERN CROSS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SOUTHERN CROSS From Tragedy ratings distribution

SOUTHERN CROSS From Tragedy reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'From Tragedy' - Southern Cross (8/10)

The melodic brand of progressive metal was once my go-to style of music a few years ago. While I haven't become oblivious to the obvious technical brilliance that many of these bands put into their music, it's often difficult to argue that they are really 'progressing' things along. With that in mind, it was not a surprise to hear the unquestionable presence of Dream Theater in Southern Cross' music. The energy and quality of arrangement is strong enough to overlook the arguably lack of originality however; you may very well have heard this sound before, but it's executed with skill and passion. Progressive metal may be a crowded style of music, but Southern Cross' "From Tragedy" is a firm reminder that there are still great albums coming out, even if it may still be a little too comfortable for challenge- seeking listeners.

"From Tragedy" is my first full-length experience with Southern Cross, although my history with particular songs of the band were amicable. In essence, Southern Cross felt to me like a band taking the 'melodic-yet-proggy-and-technical' mission of Dream Theater, and supplementing it with an added power metal edge. "From Tragedy" maintains this vision, although there is a noted improvement performancewise from their previous album, "Down Below". The production is crisp and no longer permits the overindulgent double-kick that rode on previous work. To fresh newcomers, it's enough to say that the band are framed within a tight studio production, and considering the precision required in their brand of music, it's a really great compliment they pay themselves.

The guitar is the lifeblood of "From Tragedy". Paired off between Olivier Perrier-Maurel and vocalist David Lizotte, the guitars are graced with a thick yet elegant sense of distortion. Lead riffs and rhythms are often fused together, making the songwriting feel remarkably fluid for such technical music. The bass guitar and keyboards take more of an auxiliary role. Tipping a hat to Dream Theater, many of the guitar leads are matched with keyboards. This is particularly evident on the fiery highlight "Tightrope", a prog metal tour-de-force that instantly had me digging what Southern Cross were doing. Keyboardist Antoine Guertin also takes helm of the drumkit, and delivers an impressive performance that meets the guitars both at their most subtle and most furious. Southern Cross also succeed on a vocal level, which is often that weak link in prog metal bands. David Lizotte's voice is warm, first reminding me of Novembre vocalist Carmelo Orlando's gloomy tenor. Harmonies provided by the rest of the band help give a welcome touch of beauty to their technical chops.

Although I find myself enjoying Southern Cross' third album a lot more than I first thought I would, I cannot shake the feeling that they hold themselves back under the guise of prog metal formula. The vocals feel less acrobatic than many of the so-called 'Dream Theater clones' I have heard, but given that "From Tragedy" is full of tricks pulled directly from some of the genre's greats, I feel it discredits them. As it stands, Southern Cross' powerful mix of melody and passionate complexity is excellent, and certainly deserves the time to grow on a listener. It may not reinvent the wheel (nor invent the jetpack) but "From Tragedy" ranks among the best prog metal albums I've thus heard this year.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#773026) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 18, 2012

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock and Crossover Teams
5 stars Disclaimer: I originally composed this review for powerofmetal.dk.

It's high time that this amazing album finally gets reviewed here on our site. Southern Cross is a band out of Canada that had released a couple albums, but they really haven't received much attention until 2012's release "From Tragedy". Honestly, I've heard their first album, "Rise Against", and I was slightly unimpressed. It seems that the band has re-thought their approach, and it has paid off for them. The reason I say it is "high time" for this album to be reviewed is because it received a re-release from Unicorn Records in April 2013. Hopefully, this time around, the band will receive even more attention.

I sound quite enthusiastic about this album, but I promise that I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that this album was a toss-up for best album of 2012 for me. Only one album defeated it (Distorted Harmony's "Utopia"), but I must admit that the top 5 were basically all a toss-up seeing as how 2012 was such a great year for progressive music. So, this album almost topped my list last year, but why?

I've heard it said about Southern Cross that they are a Dream Theater clone that overcomes this status by playing and composing extremely well. I disagree with the first part of this statement: While I'm sure Dream Theater is an influence, they sound absolutely nothing like Dream Theater in style, composition, structure, or ambiance. I wasn't going to do this, but I must: I'm really tired of the Dream Theater nuts comparing everyone to their mediocre gods. I've heard so many bands written off a clones of Dream Theater, when these bands have little in common with them---in fact, these bands often possess more of the spirit and soul of prog than Dream Theater itself! In my opinion, DT has been stuck in a massive rut for 15 years, and these newer bands show no signs of joining them there. So, as I've heard, if you think a new prog metal song sounds like Dream Theater, your music collection is probably way too small (If you don't like what I said, try asking me about Rush!). *Rant finished*.

Southern Cross is anything but a clone of the "great" DT. In their first two albums, they managed to create a more metal approach that incorporated harsh vox and a lot of bombast. "From Tragedy", however, displays the band's new-found maturity. Melody is 100% at the forefront here. Indeed, the band almost throws off the prog metal mantle for the most part, although they really bring it at times. The melodies are extremely memorable, and the lyrics are as well. Weighing them against the sea of amazing 2012 releases, I couldn't help but notice how profound and emotive the vocals and lyrics appear. This album portrays the life of a really messed up guy and how lost and "missing" he is. At the end of the album, we find out why, and it is rather heart-breaking. The songs are sung with punishingly emotive style, and the lyrics themselves are never cheesy and never cookie cutter. All along, the melody shines.

Now, then, the album sounds pretty good thus far, correct? Well, there's more. This album hands-down delivers the best instrumental portions of any album in 2012. This was my first impression; and, after listening to it dozens of times, it is still my belief. Southern Cross pulled out all the stops and created masterful, melodic passages that really suck you in deeply. This can especially be seen on my two favorite tracks, "Between the Lines" and "Poetry": These two tracks both made it into my Top 10 list of best songs for 2012. There are 3 instrumental passages in "Between the Lines" alone that require the attention of every prog lover. Piano, keys, flute, awesome orchestration, masterful drumming, and wonderful bass lines combine to form a perfect storm of truly progressive music, the like of which is rare to find. Notice, however, that I didn't mention guitars: That is because they deserve special mention. The guitars on this album are the best that 2012 had to offer. Read that again. The guitars on Southern Cross' "From Tragedy" are the best I heard in 2012. That is really saying something, and the flexible, mature sound earns this praise. The passages are well thought-out and well-played. The lead guitarist busts out solo after solo that would make even Gilmour jealous.

So, when you combine a heart-breaking storyline, amazing lyrics and vox, and the best instrumental passages of the year, what do you get? You get an instant masterpiece that should be heard by all fans of prog metal. Spotify has it. Amazon.com has it. Youtube has it. The band is re-releasing it. There's no excuse. Give it a listen soon. I hope you will share my opinion of it.

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#843773) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Post a review of SOUTHERN CROSS "From Tragedy"