JACK ORION (W/ JOHN RENBOURN)

Bert Jansch

Prog Folk

Bert Jansch Jack Orion (w/ John Renbourn) album cover

Buy BERT JANSCH Music
Studio Album, released in 1966

1. The Waggoner's Lad (3:25)
2. Black Water Side (3:42)
3. The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face (1:41)
4. 900 Miles (3:05)

Total time: 35:06

Search BERT JANSCH Jack Orion (w/ John Renbourn) lyrics

Search BERT JANSCH Jack Orion (w/ John Renbourn) tabs

- Bert Jansch / guitar, banjo
- John Renbourn / guitar (1, 6, 8, 9)

LP Transatlantic TRA 143 (1966) UK
LP Vanguard VSD-6544 (1970) US
LP XTRA 1164 (1976) UK (titled 'Early Bert, Volume 2')
CD Vanguard VMD 6544 (1991) US
CD Castle Music CMRCD304 (2001) UK
LP Earmark 42007 (2003) Italy
CD WAS-1049 (2005) Japan

Thanks to clemofnazareth for the addition

BERT JANSCH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BERT JANSCH Jack Orion (w/ John Renbourn) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Best of Bert JanschBest of Bert Jansch
Shanachie 1992
Bert JanschBert Jansch
Sanctuary UK 2008
Good Vibrations: A Record Shop, A Label, A Film SoundtrackGood Vibrations: A Record Shop, A Label, A Film Soundtrack
Ace Records Import 2013
Emd Int'l 2009
It Don't Bother MeIt Don't Bother Me
Sanctuary UK 2008
CD nicola ~ USD $11.99

More places to buy BERT JANSCH music online Buy BERT JANSCH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BERT JANSCH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BERT JANSCH Jack Orion (w/ John Renbourn) ratings distribution

BERT JANSCH Jack Orion (w/ John Renbourn) reviews

Review by Negoba
3 stars Digging to the Source

My love of acoustic guitar sprang largely from a little boy named Jimmy Page. His slightly exotic and Celtic flavors on the Led Zeppelin albums always appealed to me, and one of the most impressive outings was a little piece from LZ I called "Black Mountain Side." I have never really been able to nail this piece, but I've certainly tried. Over the years, I finally found that the piece is essentially ripped straight from the English Dylan, Bert Jansch. As I've combed through Jansch's works, it is clear that this album, JACK ORION, is one that Page must have listened to over and over.

For me, the big track initially was "Black Waterside." Anne Briggs gave Jansch this tune during an earlier collaboration, and he arranged the iconic guitar part that Page lifted. But Jansch also uses the same rolling rhythm and style on "The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face" and "The Gardener." However, the great opener "The Waggoner's Lad" was also accessed liberally by Pagey most notably on "Bron-y-Aur Stomp." "Lad" is a great duet with Jansch playing banjo and John Renbourne playing lead guitar. Both guitarists learned at the foot of the legendary Davy Graham, with Renbourne becoming the more schooled player and Jansch the more moody. This contrast works extremely well musically. The pair really shine on "Henry Martin," creating a shimmery sound that I've really found nowhere else.This would foreshadow the duo's fantastic group Pentangle. Renbourne helps on several other tracks and in fact Jansch recording will officially be under the duo.

Jansch's voice is fairly melancholy and languid which is great for this style of folk, but may not be everyone's cup of tea. He does kick it up a notch for "Nottamun Town." Clearly, Jansch's forte is his guitar work, which is quite fresh and energetic here. This album is not really prog in any classic sense, but Jansch's advanced technique and sound went on to infuse a number of bands that we think of as prog folk. Jansch himself has more "progressive" records.

Thus, I am giving this a good but non-essential rating despite its excellent quality. If you like English folk guitar, this may be a near essential recording.

Send comments to Negoba (BETA) | Report this review (#742979) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 23, 2012

3 stars A good 3.0. When I look at the different track listings of this album on PA, Windows Media Player, and Wikipedia, I can't help myself but ask this question: "Why does this obscure folk work have different running orders on different sources?" Let's just discuss the music itself. Spoiler al ... (read more)

Report this review (#718324) | Posted by Dayvenkirq | Monday, April 09, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BERT JANSCH "Jack Orion (w/ John Renbourn)"