HEADLONG FLIGHT

Rush

Rush Headlong Flight album cover

Buy RUSH Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2012

1. Headlong Flight (7:20)

Search RUSH Headlong Flight lyrics

Search RUSH Headlong Flight tabs

- Geddy Lee / vocals, bass and keyboards
- Alex Lifeson / guitars
- Neil Peart / drums and percussion

Release date: 24th April, 2012
Label: Anthem/Roadrunner Records

Thanks to Daniel de Oliveira for the addition

RUSH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RUSH Headlong Flight Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987
Mercury 2003
Caress of SteelCaress of Steel
Clockwork AngelsClockwork Angels
Roadrunner Records 2012

More places to buy RUSH music online Buy RUSH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RUSH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RUSH Headlong Flight ratings distribution

RUSH Headlong Flight reviews

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
3 stars Opening with a spacey tone and a thick Geddy Lee bass riff, it isn't long before Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart come in with a wall of incredibly heavy rhythms, loaded with energy. The vocals range from low to pleading, competing with the onslaught of severely distorted rhythm guitar and impenetrable drums. The frenetic guitar solo over the main bass riff rather reminds me of the instrumental section of "Freewill." This song would not have been out of place on Vapor Trails; for some, that would be an insult, but Vapor Trails happens to be one of my favorite Rush albums. I have grown to appreciate the lyrics: "Some days were dark / some nights were bright;" I'm not sure I'd want to live through all of mine again, but hey, I'm not sixty yet. This is a good song and far better than the previously released singles from Clockwork Angels.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#743837) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Review by Conor Fynes
2 stars 'Headlong Flight' - Rush (Single)

RUSH was probably the first band I ever really got into. 'Moving Pictures' was the first record I ever bough, and one of the first 'big' shows I ever went to was RUSH. Bottom line; this is a band who earned my love years ago, and regardless of what could ever happen in the future, they have made some of my favourite albums in rock music. Going strong for the better part of half a century, RUSH may also be distinguished by the fact that they have not given up their pursuit of inspired, powerful, and most importantly, relevant music. 'Clockwork Angels' is RUSH's nineteenth album since their debut in '74, and when I heard the first couple of tracks from the album about a year or so ago, I was all the more excited. While 'Caravan' and 'BU2B' only stoked the fires of my excitement, this 'single' tends to work the opposite direction.

'Headlong Flight' is a seven minute track with lyrics apparently concerning the band looking back on their career nostalgically. Although this has all of the potential to be something great, 'Headlong Flight' feels aimless and lacking the conviction I would hope and normally expect from RUSH. RUSH have lost none of their instrumental talent; after a superfluous spacey intro, the drums erupt and it's made clear that the holy triumvirate have lost none of their skill. Although RUSH have been pursuing a more modern rock oriented style in recent albums, the guitar work often alludes to earlier points in their career, specifically the tones of their golden prog era. Whether this is simply meant to fit the theme of the song or more indicative of the album as a whole, it seems like an unfair goad in the case of 'Headlong Flight'. The sounds are here, but the songwriting is not; the instrumentation is well managed and very rock-oriented, but the vocal melodies overtop feel like they were thrown together in a matter of minutes.

Although the instrumentation of RUSH is as strong as ever, Geddy Lee's voice seems to have taken a toll. Although I am of the belief that his matured voice has given him some of his best ever vocal performances, it's clear that the cannot sing the 'high notes' with as much conviction. While I have always appreciated his voice in the past, Lee and RUSH as a whole now have we wondering if 'Clockwork Angels' will be the excellence that 'Caravan' suggested it is, or something like this; nostalgic, functional, yet uninspired.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#744205) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Review by Starhammer
2 stars Shades of Bastille Day...

Caravan was excellent, BU2B has grown on me, and this latest single from Rush is decent enough. I especially enjoy the lyrics, which reflect the nostalgic perspective of Peart's drum teacher, Freddie Gruber, before he passed away during the recording of the album.

However I have two bones to pick with Headlong Flight, the first of which is its length. Whilst the vocals and instrumentation are both catchy and hard-hitting, there's just not enough variation or development to keep me engaged for the full seven-and-a-half minutes. In addition, the structure of the piece feels a bit unrefined, with some sections held together with nothing more than glue and paper.

The Verdict: Tepid.

Send comments to Starhammer (BETA) | Report this review (#744737) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012

Review by Gatot
3 stars First off, I do enjoy this new single by Rush regardless this can be said not their best effort throughout their music career. Reviewing this single, of course I am not going to factor their ages as musicians but I'd rather compare it objectively as the composition is made by youngsters. For sure Rush music has changed dramatically since Test of Echo or even before that. This kind of music of this single is something similar in style with Snake and Arrows album. The composition is not bad at all as it has quite good tagline melody through Geddy Lee's unique vocal line. The structure is quite straightforward from start to end even though it's not boring at all for my taste - in fact, when the single finishes, I tend to replay it. It's I think because I like the opening basslines by Geddy Lee and secondly I like the consistent voice of Geddy Lee. Alex Lifeson also provides his stunning guitar solo during interlude. Of course you cannot compare with his stunning guitar solo and riffs on classic track like La Villa Strangiato. Yeah, this is different kind of style that is not apple to apple to compare. Neil Peart jaw dropping drum work is still here - he plays dynamically, really. Well, considering the ages of members of Rush, this track is quite rockin', really.

There is basically little changes of mood and styles over the duration of the song. But, I do enjoy Geddy Lee's bass guitar work throughout the passages of the song. Yes, there are some breaks in the song but they band maintain the overall style intact. Oh man ...again... I really enjoy the guitar solo in the middle of the song - it's not that long really .... I want some more! Composition-wise, as it's quite straight forward structurally, there is no question that matters which relate to the structural integrity of the song - yeah, it's there!

Overall, it's really a kicking song and it's rockin'! Salute to Rush!!!!

On personal level, having released this single, Rush is definitely planning to release a new full-fletched album. Having observed Yes, Dream Theater and many rock bands (Iron Maiden for example) have played in my country, I do hope that Rush will do Asia tour as well - so that they would play in Jakarta, Indonesia sometimes next year? Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#746173) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
5 stars When I first heard this song on the official youtube channel with that cool video clip I was very excited because Rush had returned to their heavy roots again. The very opening riff is lifted from the glory of 'Bastille Day' and then it is followed by a killer riff. The speed of the track is quite stunning and then Lee chimes in sounding absolutely full of passion and drive; "All the journeys of this great adventure, It didn't always feel that way, I wouldn't trade them because I made them, The best I could, and that's enough to say."

The song really builds to the chorus that changes time sig into a beautiful melodic moderate feel. As soon as I heard the melody of the chorus and the lyrics I was mesmirised. Literally I felt chills down the spine as Lee sings; "I have stoked the fire on the big steel wheels, Steered the airship right across the stars, I learned to fight, I learned to love, I learned to feel, Oh I wish that I could live it all again." The melody is fantastic and the chord changes of Lifeson are brilliant, ranging from low end E to a higher B, and it just rings out so well. The way the song changes seamlessly from a fast tempo to the half time feel is a master touch. This is Rush at their adventurous and heaviest after a long hiatus. The lyrics of this song are inspiring, every line is poetic beauty and it resonates so powerfully in my spirit.

The song moves along driven by that distorted hook and Lee's high register vocals. He has not sounded this good for years. In the half time section there is an instrumental that has some fast Peart drum fills, and a wandering bassline. The guitars are crunchy for a time until Lifeson unleashes a blistering lead solo. The high pitches, and squeals are bliss to my ears. He does not hold back on the wah-wah pedals, fast picking and massive string bends; it is like a tiger loosed from its cage. One has to marvel at this when you compare it to Lifeson's restrained soloing on the last few albums. This is how we love it Rushaholics!

The song returns to the main verse again and that great pre-chorus; "Some days were dark, I wish that I could live it all again, Some nights were bright, I wish that I could live it all again." The chorus to follow cuts out the music for a moment and then Lifeson crashes in ruthlessly with that deep growling distortion. The songs ends abruptly after the next chorus and one riff sends it into Rush history. I am simply in awe of the way Rush have returned to their heavier side and this goes for over 7 minutes. All I can say is I can't wait to hear more from the new "Clockwork Angels". If it is as all as awesome as this we are in for a real treat. Roll on June 12th.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#765336) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 06, 2012

4 stars (9/10) I don't understand why this one doesn't get more love. It's heavy in the right places, with a driving riff that really gets the blood pumping, but still shifting well between that and the melody. Geddy's vocals are actually pretty good too (and obviously bass as well), not to mention the r ... (read more)

Report this review (#756431) | Posted by ScorchedFirth | Tuesday, May 22, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars All you supposed "expert" reviewers are out of your minds. Headlong flight is probably my favorite Rush song since the Moving Pictures days. Its ballsy as hell and rocks your face off. It opens with an intriguing and excellent build up which explodes into a heavy as hell opening riff, which has me h ... (read more)

Report this review (#743761) | Posted by Phoenix87x | Tuesday, April 24, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RUSH "Headlong Flight"