HEADLONG FLIGHT

Rush

Rush Headlong Flight album cover

Buy RUSH Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2012

1. Headlong Flight (7:20)

Search RUSH Headlong Flight lyrics

Search RUSH Headlong Flight tabs

- Geddy Lee / vocals, bass and keyboards
- Alex Lifeson / guitars
- Neil Peart / drums and percussion

Release date: 24th April, 2012
Label: Anthem/Roadrunner Records

Thanks to Daniel de Oliveira for the addition

RUSH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RUSH Headlong Flight Music

The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987
Mercury 2003
Hybrid SACD - DSD
Audio Fidelity 2014
Clockwork AngelsClockwork Angels
Roadrunner Records 2012
Vapor Trails (Remixed)Vapor Trails (Remixed)
Rhino 2013
Permanent WavesPermanent Waves
Grace Under PressureGrace Under Pressure
Hold Your FireHold Your Fire
Island / Mercury 1997
Fly By NightFly By Night
Mercury 1997
Luther Vandross - Power of Love (CD, Epic) She Doesn't Mind, The Rush US $1.21 Buy It Now 34m 45s
CLOCKWORK ANGELS RUSH RED VINYL 2 LPs BRAND NEW!! 1 of only 300. German. US $115.50 Buy It Now 34m 47s
RUSH Clockwork Angels Double VINYL LP NEW & SEALED US $48.93 Buy It Now 34m 52s
DEPECHE MODE SINGLES 86-98 PROMO BONUS 4 TRACK CD 1998 RUSH ENJOY THE SILENCE US $17.99 Buy It Now 37m 34s
Rush - Clockwork Angels Tour [3CD 2013] arena rock Brand New & Sealed US $7.99 [0 bids]
50m 52s
rush - 2112 (US)1976 LP mercury srm 1-1079 rca record club issue gatefold cover US $15.00 [0 bids]
54m 31s
RUSH Permanent Waves 1980 Vinyl 33 LP - Spirit Of Radio - Jacobs Ladder ROCK US $15.99 Buy It Now 57m 44s
RUSH Looking Through A Window Live Quebec 1986 2x LP RARE! 23Trx VG+ US $59.99 Buy It Now 1h
Ov7 Ov7 En Directo Rush CD US $8.98 Buy It Now 1h
RARE Lot of 2 Vintage RUSH Cassette Tapes Exit Stage Left / Signals - FAST SHIP! US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
V/A STOMPIN' VOL 31 CD NEW VARIOUS R&B SOUL OTIS RUSH MAGIC SAM US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Billy Eckstine on 78 rpm MGM 10311: Blue Moon/Fools Rush In US $8.49 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Rush - Clockwork Angels (CD New) US $20.27 Buy It Now 1h 10m
JENNIFER RUSH-THE POWER OF LOVE-ORIGINAL DUTCH 45rpm 7" 1984-ORCHESTRAL REMIX US $17.00 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Orig 1974 Prelude After The Gold Rush Vinyl LP Island Records Near Mint US $19.95 Buy It Now 1h 11m
RUSH FLY BY NIGHT CD MINT ! US $49.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Richard Marx, Rush Street Audio CD US $5.70 Buy It Now 1h 14m
RICHARD MARX RUSH STREET CASSETTE US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
FRANK MARINO & MAHOGANY RUSH Tales of the Unexpected COLUMBIA 1975 VG/EX US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
RUSH - CLOCKWORK ANGELS TOUR - NEW CD BOXSET US $45.47 Buy It Now 1h 27m
American Folk Blues Festival 66 Otis Rush, Roosevelt Sykes(CD, 1991, L + R) US $14.45 Buy It Now 1h 28m
RUSH - VAPOR TRAILS [RUSH] - NEW CD US $33.82 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Mahogany Rush-World Anthem WLP Promo LP W/Timing Strip/ Insert/ Gold Stamp NM US $22.98 [0 bids]
A Rush of Blood to the Head by Coldplay (CD, Aug-2002, Capitol) US $2.99 [0 bids]
GINO ROCKFORD FOOLS RUSH IN/FOUNTAIN PROMO 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
HARD 'N' HEAVY - COMPILATION CD ALBUM FT. RUSH, DIO, MOTÖRHEAD AND OTHERS US $8.43 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Moving Pictures [CD & DVD] by Rush (CD, Apr-2011, 2 Discs, Mercury) US $23.99 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Rush of Fools by Rush of Fools (CD, May-2007, Midas Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Neil Young - After The Gold Rush (1993 CD) US $7.35 Buy It Now 1h 54m
MAHOGANY RUSH IV LP 1976 LP / RECORD EX VINYL US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Black Sabbath/ Rush 3 LP radio show, Dio, Ozzy, Ian Gillan, Tony Iommi 1983 US $31.00 [4 bids]
Joe Sinistr Under The Sun CD Single Rush CDp 1267 1994 US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h
RUSH - a farewell to kings - Excellent Condition 1977 US $7.99 [0 bids]
Rare cd MIND'S EYE - Into The Unknown first edition Sensory 1998 rush US $25.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
NEIL YOUNG - AFTER THE GOLD RUSH CD (FROM THE ORIGINAL ANALOGUE TAPES) (2009) US $10.12 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Rush - Moving Pictures [CD New] US $23.03 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Rush,Tom - What I Know [CD New] US $14.33 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Snakes & Arrows by Rush (CD, May-2007, Atlantic (Label)) US $2.00 [0 bids]
RUSH - Presto NEW SEALED CASSETTE TAPE US $5.98 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Aly & Aj : Into The Rush (Australia & Nz Version) CD (2005) US $3.31 Buy It Now 2h 21m
PROMO 7" EP P/S 45 - MERRILEE RUSH - BE TRUE TO YOU + 3 - 1977 - Brazil US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 24m
7" EP P/S 45 - MERRILEE RUSH - ANGEL OF THE MORNING + 3 - 1968 - Brazil US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Twista Adrenaline Rush 2007 (Circuit City) CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Northern Soul 45 - Wayne Miran and Rush Release On Roulette 7176 US $9.95 [0 bids]
MARVIN HOLMES AND THE RUSH EXPERIENCE-S/T-JAPAN MINI LP CD E78 US $26.50 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Rush A Show of Hands 2 Live LPs, CRC Edition Anthem A1-1055 Canada (No bar code) US $15.00 [0 bids]
Roll the Bones by Rush (CD, Sep-1991, Atlantic (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
TOM RUSH - WHAT I KNOW - NEW CD US $14.48 Buy It Now 2h 43m
RUSH-CLOCKWORK ANGELS TOUR-JAPAN CD H70 US $38.50 Buy It Now 2h 47m
DONNELL RUSH MEGA RARE US R&B REMIX PROMO CD If Only You Knew 6 TRX HIP HOP MIX US $74.99 [0 bids]
The Same Old Blood Rush with a New Touch by Cute Is What We Aim For (CD, Jun-200 US $5.00 [0 bids]
Snakes & Arrows by Rush (CD, May-2007, Atlantic (Label)) US $3.99 [0 bids]
Working Men by Rush (CD, Nov-2009, Atlantic (Label)) US $3.99 [0 bids]
RUSH-MOVING PICTURES-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD F45 US $28.99 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Rush - Permanent Waves CD US $1.00 [0 bids]
Rush Hold Your Fire A-1 B-1 Complete 1st UK Press EX/EX Mercury VERH 47 US $8.43 [0 bids]
3h
NEIL YOUNG AFER THE GOLD RUSH ITALY PRESSING 1970 EX/VG US $18.00 Buy It Now 3h 6m
RUSH: Archives (Rock & Pop Anthem ANR-3-1013 VG+/VG+/VG Vinyl Triple LP) US $9.94 [0 bids]
Rush "This is Your First Rush" 7" Flexi Disc - Atlantic US $3.00 [0 bids]
JENNIFER RUSH- THE POWER OF LOVE VINYL 7" 45RPM P/S US $2.52 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Big Time Rush - Boyfriend [New] US $7.23 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Paula Abdul Rush Rush RARE CD Single US $10.14 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Ministry Of Sound: The Rush [CD New] US $19.42 Buy It Now 3h 12m
Big Time Rush - B.T.R. [CD New] US $8.49 Buy It Now 3h 12m
Rush,Jennifer - Out Of My Hands [CD New] US $16.48 Buy It Now 3h 13m
RUSH the big money 45 Record RARE 1985 US $13.50 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Jennifer Rush "The Power of Love" single, record, 45 RPM 1984 w/cover,Aktuelle US $0.99 [0 bids]
Rush - All The World's A Stage dbl LP 1976 US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Black Gold - Rush -FULL PROMO- (CD 2009) 24HR POST US $5.76 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Working Man: A Tribute to Rush by Various Artists (CD, Jul-1996, Magna Carta) US $3.00 [0 bids]
Rush Music From The Motion Picture Soundtrack US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Rush A Farewell To Kings 1Y//2 2Y//2 UK Press Mercury 9100 042 Howards Gatefold US $6.74 [0 bids]
Rush by Original Soundtrack (CD, Jan-1992, Reprise) US $1.99 Buy It Now 3h 32m
RUSH - MOVING PICTURES - 7tr LP - NED 1981 US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 39m
rare RUSH + LOVE rsd mystery side by GEDDY & ARTHUR LEE 7 and COLOR 45 Store Day US $6.44 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Various Artists Tk Rush CD US $7.48 Buy It Now 3h 47m
COOL RUSH WITH YOU CD US $4.64 Buy It Now 3h 53m
NEIL YOUNG AFTER THE GOLD RUSH US $8.99 [0 bids]
Ov7 en Directo Rush OV7 CD FACT. SEALED , SHIPS MONDAYS ONLY !!! US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush What's Next Vinyl LP - EX US $13.51 Buy It Now 4h 4m
FRANK MARINO 1978 BLACK ALBUM 11 X 14 SIGNED POSTER/ 8X10 SIGNED MAHOGANY RUSH US $250.00 Buy It Now 4h 8m
RUSH - SPIRIT OF RADIO / CLOSER TO THE HEART 7" OLD GOLD VINYL US $12.66 Buy It Now 4h 8m
Rush - Through The Camera Eye - VHS US $3.99 [0 bids]
Len - You Cant Stop the Bum Rush (CD) US $3.36 Buy It Now 4h 12m
jennifer rush LP wings of desire 1989 german press DEMO CBS 4660001 A1/B1 EX+ US $33.79 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Chicago The Blues Today! Otis Rush Jimmy Cotton Homesick James '1A/1C', Vanguard US $24.90 Buy It Now 4h 23m
RUSH Hold Your Fire JAPAN 1987 1st Press CD 32 8P-228 3200Yen US $29.00 Buy It Now 4h 23m
BOYD RAEBURN-FRATERNITY RUSH jazz LP US $6.98 Buy It Now 4h 24m
NEIL YOUNG - AFTER THE GOLD RUSH UK CD * NEW * US $11.82 Buy It Now 4h 27m
RUSH HOUR 2 : VARIOUS CD EUROPEAN DEF JAM 2001 US $3.80 Buy It Now 4h 30m
TOM RUSH: Wrong End Of The Rainbow ~ 1970 USA LP ON CBS ~ C30402 ~ EX/EX- US $15.20 Buy It Now 4h 33m
Tom Rush - Late Night Radio - Gorgeous NM LP - Audiophile quality US $24.00 Buy It Now 4h 35m
OTIS RUSH - ESSENTIAL COLLECTION: CLASSIC COBRA RECORDINGS NEW CD US $21.54 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Rush Exit...stage left Vinyl 1981 2 LP US $36.95 Buy It Now 4h 37m
HAL SINGER CD NO RUSH RARE JAZZ US $6.74 [1 bids]
Tom Rush Lp Take A Little Walk With Me Mono Brown Label Elektra US $3.99 [0 bids]
RUSH-Hold Your Fire/INXS/Elton John cassettes US $1.50 [0 bids]
GOWAN w/ Alex of RUSH & tony Of KING CRIMSON All the Lovers PROMO DJ CD single US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 46m
RUSH GRACE UNDER PRESSURE LP 818 476-1 M-1 US $8.23 Buy It Now 4h 50m
RUN FOR COVER - TRIBUTE TO RUSH NEW CD US $15.06 Buy It Now 4h 59m

More places to buy RUSH music online Buy RUSH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RUSH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RUSH Headlong Flight ratings distribution

RUSH Headlong Flight reviews

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
3 stars Opening with a spacey tone and a thick Geddy Lee bass riff, it isn't long before Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart come in with a wall of incredibly heavy rhythms, loaded with energy. The vocals range from low to pleading, competing with the onslaught of severely distorted rhythm guitar and impenetrable drums. The frenetic guitar solo over the main bass riff rather reminds me of the instrumental section of "Freewill." This song would not have been out of place on Vapor Trails; for some, that would be an insult, but Vapor Trails happens to be one of my favorite Rush albums. I have grown to appreciate the lyrics: "Some days were dark / some nights were bright;" I'm not sure I'd want to live through all of mine again, but hey, I'm not sixty yet. This is a good song and far better than the previously released singles from Clockwork Angels.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#743837) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Review by Conor Fynes
2 stars 'Headlong Flight' - Rush (Single)

RUSH was probably the first band I ever really got into. 'Moving Pictures' was the first record I ever bough, and one of the first 'big' shows I ever went to was RUSH. Bottom line; this is a band who earned my love years ago, and regardless of what could ever happen in the future, they have made some of my favourite albums in rock music. Going strong for the better part of half a century, RUSH may also be distinguished by the fact that they have not given up their pursuit of inspired, powerful, and most importantly, relevant music. 'Clockwork Angels' is RUSH's nineteenth album since their debut in '74, and when I heard the first couple of tracks from the album about a year or so ago, I was all the more excited. While 'Caravan' and 'BU2B' only stoked the fires of my excitement, this 'single' tends to work the opposite direction.

'Headlong Flight' is a seven minute track with lyrics apparently concerning the band looking back on their career nostalgically. Although this has all of the potential to be something great, 'Headlong Flight' feels aimless and lacking the conviction I would hope and normally expect from RUSH. RUSH have lost none of their instrumental talent; after a superfluous spacey intro, the drums erupt and it's made clear that the holy triumvirate have lost none of their skill. Although RUSH have been pursuing a more modern rock oriented style in recent albums, the guitar work often alludes to earlier points in their career, specifically the tones of their golden prog era. Whether this is simply meant to fit the theme of the song or more indicative of the album as a whole, it seems like an unfair goad in the case of 'Headlong Flight'. The sounds are here, but the songwriting is not; the instrumentation is well managed and very rock-oriented, but the vocal melodies overtop feel like they were thrown together in a matter of minutes.

Although the instrumentation of RUSH is as strong as ever, Geddy Lee's voice seems to have taken a toll. Although I am of the belief that his matured voice has given him some of his best ever vocal performances, it's clear that the cannot sing the 'high notes' with as much conviction. While I have always appreciated his voice in the past, Lee and RUSH as a whole now have we wondering if 'Clockwork Angels' will be the excellence that 'Caravan' suggested it is, or something like this; nostalgic, functional, yet uninspired.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#744205) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Review by Starhammer
2 stars Shades of Bastille Day...

Caravan was excellent, BU2B has grown on me, and this latest single from Rush is decent enough. I especially enjoy the lyrics, which reflect the nostalgic perspective of Peart's drum teacher, Freddie Gruber, before he passed away during the recording of the album.

However I have two bones to pick with Headlong Flight, the first of which is its length. Whilst the vocals and instrumentation are both catchy and hard-hitting, there's just not enough variation or development to keep me engaged for the full seven-and-a-half minutes. In addition, the structure of the piece feels a bit unrefined, with some sections held together with nothing more than glue and paper.

The Verdict: Tepid.

Send comments to Starhammer (BETA) | Report this review (#744737) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012

Review by Gatot
3 stars First off, I do enjoy this new single by Rush regardless this can be said not their best effort throughout their music career. Reviewing this single, of course I am not going to factor their ages as musicians but I'd rather compare it objectively as the composition is made by youngsters. For sure Rush music has changed dramatically since Test of Echo or even before that. This kind of music of this single is something similar in style with Snake and Arrows album. The composition is not bad at all as it has quite good tagline melody through Geddy Lee's unique vocal line. The structure is quite straightforward from start to end even though it's not boring at all for my taste - in fact, when the single finishes, I tend to replay it. It's I think because I like the opening basslines by Geddy Lee and secondly I like the consistent voice of Geddy Lee. Alex Lifeson also provides his stunning guitar solo during interlude. Of course you cannot compare with his stunning guitar solo and riffs on classic track like La Villa Strangiato. Yeah, this is different kind of style that is not apple to apple to compare. Neil Peart jaw dropping drum work is still here - he plays dynamically, really. Well, considering the ages of members of Rush, this track is quite rockin', really.

There is basically little changes of mood and styles over the duration of the song. But, I do enjoy Geddy Lee's bass guitar work throughout the passages of the song. Yes, there are some breaks in the song but they band maintain the overall style intact. Oh man ...again... I really enjoy the guitar solo in the middle of the song - it's not that long really .... I want some more! Composition-wise, as it's quite straight forward structurally, there is no question that matters which relate to the structural integrity of the song - yeah, it's there!

Overall, it's really a kicking song and it's rockin'! Salute to Rush!!!!

On personal level, having released this single, Rush is definitely planning to release a new full-fletched album. Having observed Yes, Dream Theater and many rock bands (Iron Maiden for example) have played in my country, I do hope that Rush will do Asia tour as well - so that they would play in Jakarta, Indonesia sometimes next year? Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#746173) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
5 stars When I first heard this song on the official youtube channel with that cool video clip I was very excited because Rush had returned to their heavy roots again. The very opening riff is lifted from the glory of 'Bastille Day' and then it is followed by a killer riff. The speed of the track is quite stunning and then Lee chimes in sounding absolutely full of passion and drive; "All the journeys of this great adventure, It didn't always feel that way, I wouldn't trade them because I made them, The best I could, and that's enough to say."

The song really builds to the chorus that changes time sig into a beautiful melodic moderate feel. As soon as I heard the melody of the chorus and the lyrics I was mesmirised. Literally I felt chills down the spine as Lee sings; "I have stoked the fire on the big steel wheels, Steered the airship right across the stars, I learned to fight, I learned to love, I learned to feel, Oh I wish that I could live it all again." The melody is fantastic and the chord changes of Lifeson are brilliant, ranging from low end E to a higher B, and it just rings out so well. The way the song changes seamlessly from a fast tempo to the half time feel is a master touch. This is Rush at their adventurous and heaviest after a long hiatus. The lyrics of this song are inspiring, every line is poetic beauty and it resonates so powerfully in my spirit.

The song moves along driven by that distorted hook and Lee's high register vocals. He has not sounded this good for years. In the half time section there is an instrumental that has some fast Peart drum fills, and a wandering bassline. The guitars are crunchy for a time until Lifeson unleashes a blistering lead solo. The high pitches, and squeals are bliss to my ears. He does not hold back on the wah-wah pedals, fast picking and massive string bends; it is like a tiger loosed from its cage. One has to marvel at this when you compare it to Lifeson's restrained soloing on the last few albums. This is how we love it Rushaholics!

The song returns to the main verse again and that great pre-chorus; "Some days were dark, I wish that I could live it all again, Some nights were bright, I wish that I could live it all again." The chorus to follow cuts out the music for a moment and then Lifeson crashes in ruthlessly with that deep growling distortion. The songs ends abruptly after the next chorus and one riff sends it into Rush history. I am simply in awe of the way Rush have returned to their heavier side and this goes for over 7 minutes. All I can say is I can't wait to hear more from the new "Clockwork Angels". If it is as all as awesome as this we are in for a real treat. Roll on June 12th.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#765336) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 06, 2012

4 stars (9/10) I don't understand why this one doesn't get more love. It's heavy in the right places, with a driving riff that really gets the blood pumping, but still shifting well between that and the melody. Geddy's vocals are actually pretty good too (and obviously bass as well), not to mention the r ... (read more)

Report this review (#756431) | Posted by ScorchedFirth | Tuesday, May 22, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars All you supposed "expert" reviewers are out of your minds. Headlong flight is probably my favorite Rush song since the Moving Pictures days. Its ballsy as hell and rocks your face off. It opens with an intriguing and excellent build up which explodes into a heavy as hell opening riff, which has me h ... (read more)

Report this review (#743761) | Posted by Phoenix87x | Tuesday, April 24, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RUSH "Headlong Flight"