PARALLEL MINDS

Buy CONCEPTION Music
Studio Album, released in 1993

1. Water confines (4:13)
2. Roll the Fire (4:32)
3. And I close my eyes (3:50)
4. Silent crying (3:20)

- Hans Gjestvang / keyboards
- Ingar Amlien / bass
- Arve Heimdal / drums

Noise #N 0218-2

CONCEPTION MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CONCEPTION Parallel Minds Music

Parallel MindsParallel Minds
Pinnacle UK 2005

More places to buy CONCEPTION music online Buy CONCEPTION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CONCEPTION DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CONCEPTION Parallel Minds ratings distribution

CONCEPTION Parallel Minds reviews

Review by UMUR
2 stars Iīve just finished listening to Parallel Minds from Conception, and Iīm having a hard time putting the prog metal label on them. Yes their singer is good and uses his voice to the limit and beyond, and yes the music is keyboard laden and somewhat technical, but on the other hand I find this album to be generic.

I have read many reviews of this band through the years but never heard Parallel Minds myself. The reviews were always positive and talked of Conception as a powerful progressive band. I agree to a certain point. The musicians are good, especially the singer and the guitarist and the compositions are well written. I just find Conception Parallel Minds to be a bit eighties hairmetal inspired. Itīs not neccesearly bad, just listen to Fates Warning and Queensryche. In this case though, I think itīs a bit too apparent.

This is not your average Dream Theater clone prog metal band as you can understand from what I have written above, as their are no lenghty instrumental passages. There are just guitar solos. In fact the songs are structured very much like hard rock songs, and therein lies my main problem. I find the structure boring and repetitive. Especially when I donīt find the music to be very powerful.

The sound quality is allright for the time, nothing too impressive but ok.

This is just not my kind of music at all, and I canīt see who would like this today. It sounds very dated.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#152801) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 26, 2007

4 stars As a huge Prog-Metal fan this was a blast to listen to. I even like it more than the follow-up "In Your Multitude", this one "rocks" harder. The great Tory Otsby is on lead guitar and wrote all the music, while the equally great Khan is on vocals and wrote all the lyrics. Cool album cover as well.

"Water Confines" opens with riffs as Otsby lets it rip. Vocals join in as the riffs continue. Great sound here. Keys before 2 1/2 minutes as it settles. The guitar starts to cry out then it kicks back in. "Roll The Fire" opens with heavy sounds as the guitar solos. Here we go as riffs come crushing in. The guitar is very JUDAS PREIST-like here. It settles as vocals arrive. Contrasts continue. Ripping guitar late. "And I Close My Eyes" kicks in quickly. Amazing sound ! Very crunchy as vocals join in. Here we go 2 minutes in. A guitar solo follows. Nice. Just a light sow really. "Silent Crying" is a ballad and while I normally don't like ballads they do an excellent job here. It does get fuller and we get a tasteful guitar solo after 2 minutes. Good tune. "Parallel Minds" is heavy with synths and guitar as vocals join in.

"Silver Shine" opens with drums building as reserved vocals and keys come in. It kicks in before 1 1/2 minutes. Nice. It then settles as contrasts continue. The guitar is crying out 3 minutes in. Great tune ! "My Decision" builds until they're kicking major ass. Love this song ! Nice bass before 3 1/2 minutes. "The Promiser" opens with some powerful guitar and then it settles some as vocals arrive. It kicks back in as the guitar grinds it out. Khan is really getting a vocal work out on this one. "Wolf's Lair" makes me say "Ooooh ya !" Check out that guitar intro as drums pound. The guitar is all over this one. "Soliloquy" is the over 8 1/2 minute closer. It's divided into three parts. It's mellow to start with vocals. Some power after 2 minutes. Khan screams then it gets heavier. Check out the bass ! It settles 6 minutes in with reserved vocals before kicking back in after 7 1/2 minutes. Incredible sound ! Haunting piano ends it.

If your into that late 80's Prog-Metal i think you'll love this one.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#250297) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 13, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars Despite my built-in scepticism towards things neo-power-prog-metal, I found Conception's debut a great listen. Unfortunately, on the sophomore effort they gave up some of the elements that made them special.

The band follows the same pattern too much, all but one song are short verse - chorus rock songs with the mandatory guitar solo. It becomes too much of a formula and as it goes with formulaic albums, it only works for as long as the material is consistently good. But that is not the case here.

I first heard Conception on my weekly metal radio program back in 1993. Roll The Fire was the track the radio station choose to play and it's not a bad choice. It's very effective and gives a good impression of what this album is about. Alas, that more or less sums it up. Some songs are a bit slower, others are faster; there are a number of power ballads and one weak 9-minute epic. The best sits at the start. The opening Water Confines is a fast and powerful slab of metal similar to Dio's solo material: fast, rocking and catchy with poignant melodic vocals. In good Rainbow fashion the music has a distinct middle-eastern flavour, both in its rhythm and in the lyrical vocals and guitar solos. And I Close My Eyes and Roll The Fire are also good examples.

This album has not one surprise in store. After a debut album that did some side steps into other areas such as doom metal and even Latin music, the band decided to stick to their guns and comply with genre-expectations. While the result is competent, it's too much easy-listening really.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#263539) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 30, 2010

3 stars This is a good album by Progressive Metal band Conception, but to be honest there isn't much here to get you excited about buying it. Overall this is a solid effort, and some of the songs are actually pretty damn amazing. But sadly most of the album feels very bland and rigid. The guitar riffs wh ... (read more)

Report this review (#206916) | Posted by Valarius | Friday, March 13, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I welcome everyone in this forum and I am glad to be here with all the prog-fans!!! Nice to meet everyone! I would like to start my prog reports going in Parallel Minds by CONCEPTION. Releasing Parallel Minds, Conception manage to arrive in an extremely beautiful genre of melodic-progressive ... (read more)

Report this review (#159446) | Posted by FatalV | Monday, January 21, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars In a scene where most bands come as direct followers of prog styles defined by Queensryche, Dream Theater or Symphony X, Conception dare to state a difference. This album is clearly not their best, but the one that is well appreciated by the fans that are not really into them yet. This album h ... (read more)

Report this review (#24783) | Posted by V0lcaN0 | Wednesday, January 19, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Label-wise released roundabout two months BEFORE the real debut, "Parallel Minds" shows us matured CONCEPTION, the compositions are rounder and more compact, as you can hear in the opening up-tempo-track "Water Confines". Musically they have stayed true to their sound, slightly progressive Melodic ... (read more)

Report this review (#24780) | Posted by | Monday, January 19, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CONCEPTION "Parallel Minds"