SONGS FROM THE MIRROR

Fish Songs From The Mirror album cover

Collectors/fans only

Buy FISH Music
Studio Album, released in 1993

1. Question (Moody Blues) (6:38)
2. Boston Tea Party (Alex Harvey Band) (4:25)
3. Fearless (Pink Floyd) (6:15)
4. Apeman (The Kinks) (5:54)
5. Hold Your Head Up (Argent) (3:43)
6. Solo (Sandy Denny) (4:09)
7. I Know What I Like (Genesis) (4:17)
8. Jeepster (Marc Bolan And T-Rex) (4:30)
9. The Seeker (The Who) (3:17)
10. Five Years (David Bowie) (5:19)

Search FISH Songs From The Mirror lyrics

- David Paton / bass
- Robin Boult / guitar
- Kevin Wilkinson / drums

Roadrunner Records RR 8682-2

FISH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Cliche Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors, 1990
  • Tongues Internal Exile, 1991

Buy FISH Songs From The Mirror Music

Vigil in a Wilderness of MirrorsVigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors
Roadrunner 1999
A Feast of Consequences (2013)A Feast of Consequences (2013)
Audio CD$16.99 (used)
Ma Rainey - Don't Fish In My Sea (NEW CD) US $10.93 Buy It Now 43m 9s
JOHN LENNON - Shaved Fish LP - UK Apple 1st Press - M- with Inner Sleeve US $48.65 Buy It Now 46m 15s
School of Fish by School of Fish (CD, Jul-1996, Capitol) US $3.50 Buy It Now 47m 39s
Reel Big Fish - Monkeys For Nothin and & The Chi NEW CD US $20.66 Buy It Now 56m 50s
Avalon - Fish Linked EP - SSR - 1995 #340667 US $4.85 Buy It Now 1h 7m
PETER ROWAN self titled 1978 US FLYING FISH STEREO VINYL LP US $13.78 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Marillion - Clutching At Straws CD 1987 Capitol EMI Fish prog US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
ROBERT GORDON WITH LINK WRAY FRESH FISH SPECIAL-VINYL-NM US $2.99 [0 bids]
Badly Drawn Boy-Have You Fed the Fish NEW CD 2002 Folk US $22.89 Buy It Now 1h 12m
REO Speedwagon You can Tune a Piano,But You Can't Tuna Fish/ Japan LP/ OBI Sheet US $10.49 Buy It Now 1h 12m
SAGITTARI-ALBERT FISH-cd-2012-selfproduction-melodic power metal-sealed US $17.09 Buy It Now 1h 17m
FUTURE FISH [Single, Maxi] STYLE FIVE Japanese anime song Free Shipping! US $49.04 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Lee Perry - Roast Fish and & Cornbread (NEW CD) US $14.98 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Reel Big Fish - Fame Fortune and & Fornication (NEW CD) US $17.42 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Xlr Project - Ending The War - High Fish - 2005 #152930 US $4.85 Buy It Now 1h 58m
D. Rodell Vs Jim Fish - Turn Of The Bubble #129967 US $4.85 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Substance - High Fish 3 - 2005 #165773 US $4.85 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Falkon & Fairlite - Moon Fish Inspired Records #172118 US $4.85 Buy It Now 1h 59m
JOHN LENNON(BEATLES)Japan 1980 NM LP+Obi SHAVED FISH US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
I Love Herring And Other Fish Shticks For Kids, Mama Doni Band, Good US $8.27 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Chris Squire-Fish out of water LP 1975 US $10.54 [0 bids]
Ten of Songs by Robin Williamson (CD, Aug-1993, Flying Fish) US $12.00 [0 bids]
COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH-I-FEEL-LIKE-I'M-FIXIN'-TO-DIE (comes with GAME)-LP US $25.00 [0 bids]
Roy Eldridge - Saturday Night Fish Fry W/ Bud Freeman (Fontana) Lp US $36.00 Buy It Now 2h 18m
RARE/SCARCE! Test Pressing!Country Joe&The Fish "Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin-To-Die" nM US $154.07 [0 bids]
Robert Gordon with Link Wray "Fresh Fish Special" Original LP Promo Near Mint US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 25m
HAPPY TRAUM NM Bright Morning Stars GR-703 Greenhays Flying fish album vinyl US $13.56 Buy It Now 2h 25m
FISH - MAGAZINE CUTTING (FULL PAGE PHOTO) (REF FF) US $8.03 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Country Joe & The Fish "I Feel Like.../ Maria" 1969 Vanguard 7" US $12.81 [0 bids]
ROBERT GORDON with LINK WRAY fresh fish special 1979 US RCA STEREO LP US $19.46 Buy It Now 2h 44m
THE JOHN RENBOURN GROUP Live In America FLYING FISH LP Pentangle British Folk US $7.99 [0 bids]
LEFTOVER CRACK / CITIZEN FISH-DEADLINE CD NEW US $10.17 Buy It Now 2h 47m
JOHN LENNON SHAVED FISH LENNON PLASTIC ONO BAND CAPITOL RECORDS VINYL ALBUM US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Fish Go Deep - Soul - ORK - 2006 #175451 US $4.85 Buy It Now 2h 55m
Fast Fish & Loose Fish (Remix) - 10 Records #416943 US $4.85 Buy It Now 2h 55m
Jim Fish & Will Bithell - Distance EP Patterns #131431 US $4.85 Buy It Now 2h 55m
frank zappa 2cd thing-fish RYKO 10020 1986 original m-/m- US $13.49 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Wholesale Meats And Fish [Us Import] US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h
FISH 'SUSHI' 20-TRACK DOUBLE CD US $21.07 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Vintage 8 Track Tape Reo Speedwagon You Can Tune A Piano But You Cant Tuna Fish US $9.99 [0 bids]
2 Barnes and Barnes Fish Heads Picture Disc and Sicks US $9.99 [1 bids]
ROBERT GORDON w/ LINK WRAY - FRESH FISH SPECIAL / PRIVATE STOCK LP US $9.71 [0 bids]
Let Me Run - Like A Fish W/I Don't Stomp, I Battle 7" 45 Record COLORED US $0.99 [0 bids]
NEAL KIMBLE Working Out / You're Flying High DJ 45 R&B NORTHERN SOUL Fat Fish US $25.49 Buy It Now 4h 4m
Super Mario Bros Plush Character Soft Toy Stuffed Animal Collectible Doll Teddy US $6.98 Buy It Now 4h 11m
JOHN LENNON Shaved Fish LP Beatles Apple SW 3421 W/LYRIC INSERT EXCELLENT COPY US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 18m
COUNTRY JOE AND THE FISH Here We Go Again LP - 1969 VANGUARD US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Chali 2na - Fish Market Vol.2 CD NEW & Sealed US $6.47 [0 bids]
THE ROSEHIP STRING BAND - Self Titled s/t 1976 FOLK BLUEGRASS Flying Fish US $13.99 Buy It Now 4h 28m
Byron Berline OUTRAGEOUS Flying Fish LP 227 US $8.00 Buy It Now 4h 32m
Jayo Felony - Hotter Than Fish Grease - Def Jam #166288 US $6.47 Buy It Now 4h 33m
Scraps of Paper by Eric Bogle (CD 1989 Flying Fish) FOLK US $10.99 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Shaved Fish, John Lennon CD UPC: 077774664226 US $11.99 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Leftover Crack & Citizen Fish - Deadline [CD New] US $7.48 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Country Joe & The Fish - Here We Are Again [CD New] US $11.98 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Ghostface Killah - More Fish [CD New] US $10.28 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Country Joe & The Fish - Life & Times Of [CD New] US $15.42 Buy It Now 4h 47m
FISH: Credo 12 (UK, limited edition textured cover box set sealed w/ title stic US $60.00 Buy It Now 4h 52m
LENNON PLASTIC ONO BAND shaved fish LP VG+ 1 C 072 05 987 Vinyl Record US $24.00 Buy It Now 4h 53m
"7"-CJF(Country Joe & the Fish)-Peace On Earth/santa claus rag -rare non lp '83 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Melton, Levy & The Dey Bros. Self-Titled Ex Country Joe & The Fish US $11.50 [5 bids]
ATILA RARE PRIVATE PRESS L.A. NEW WAVE PUNK LP MELROSE CA FRESH FISH LABEL US $59.99 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Millennia Madness, Citizen Fish, Good Original recording reissued US $13.87 Buy It Now 5h 4m
Mountain - 8 Mini LP CD Japan 2006 + Promo-Box VERY RARE OUT-OF-PRINT MINT Fish US $450.00 Buy It Now 5h 6m
New Grass Revival Flying Fish LP 1979 US $14.00 Buy It Now 5h 8m
"7"-STAR DRIVE PLAYERS(Country Joe & the Fish)-Voyage of the good ship...'79 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Qattara - Acid Theatre - Steel Fish - 2000 #51312 US $6.47 Buy It Now 5h 20m
Qattara - The Truth - Steel Fish - 1997 #12428 US $6.47 Buy It Now 5h 20m
Graeme L - Stag Beetle - Steel Fish - 2000 #122116 US $6.47 Buy It Now 5h 20m
CD-Barry Melton-Songs of The New Great Depression(country joe & fish) psych blue US $9.99 [0 bids]
Barde - Images on Flying Fish Records 217 STILL IN SHRINK WRAP US $18.99 Buy It Now 5h 31m
COUNTRY JOE-THE FISH 7" NO TAN DULCE-EL MERODEADOR argentina ID# 08104 PROMO WHI US $18.00 Buy It Now 5h 31m
SEALED 1989 Si KAHN I'll Be There LP Flying Fish Record US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 36m
Big Hard Excellent Fish - And The Question Remains CD US $0.16 [0 bids]
Lee Perry & the Upsetters Roast Fish Collie Weed Corn Bread VP black ark rare NM US $64.00 Buy It Now 5h 48m
THE BOMB PARTY FISH NORMAL RECORDS GERMANY 1988 VINYL LP *EXCELLENT PLUS ALBUM US $14.51 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Country Joe & The Fish Vanguard Vinyl Record Albums Excellent Condition Vintage US $22.88 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Pacific Rim Dulcimer Project LP Various Artists Flying Fish Records 1983 US $16.20 [0 bids]
Flying Fish - Theme EP - Federation - 1999 #31578 US $6.47 Buy It Now 6h 14m
Star - Remote Control - Steel Fish Blue - 2001 #202486 US $6.47 Buy It Now 6h 15m
Star - Digital Times - Steel Fish Blue - 1999 #239733 US $6.47 Buy It Now 6h 15m
JUNIOR PARKER JUST LIKE A FISH / BABY PLEASE US MERCURY NORTHERN/ R US $24.33 Buy It Now 6h 18m
JOHN LENNON - Shaved Fish, ORIGINAL 1975 UK MATRIX 1 LP/ inner...NICE COPY US $4.85 [0 bids]
Dillards "Vs. Incredible L.A. Time Machine" 1977 Flying Fish 040 VG++/NM US $9.00 Buy It Now 6h 20m
EDDIE & THE HOT RODS---FISH 'N' CHIPS US $6.00 [0 bids]
Klezmorim - Metropolis on Flying Fish Recirds 258 STILL IN SHRINK WRAP US $18.99 Buy It Now 6h 23m
Super Mario Bros Plush Character Soft Toy Stuffed Animal Collectible Doll Figure US $5.89 Buy It Now 6h 29m
LP Fiddle Fever, Flying Fish US $5.00 [0 bids]
STEVE HILLAGE ( GONG ) - "FISH RISING" PROG/PSYCH CLASSIC RARE 80S REISSUE US $24.31 [0 bids]
FISH BIG WEDGE 1989 NUMBERED LIMITED EDITION WALLET SLEEVEBMS 125 US $9.71 Buy It Now 6h 45m
COUNTRY JOE AND THE FISH TOGETHER vanguard 68 /1 1st press Lp US $35.66 Buy It Now 6h 52m
JOHN LENNON-SHAVED FISH-YUGO LP 1976+INNER/LYRICS-APPLE US $19.00 Buy It Now 6h 52m
* I MOTHER EARTH - Scenery and Fish US $0.99 Buy It Now 6h 53m
Robin and Linda Williams - Close As We Can Get - Flying Fish Records - LP! US $4.99 [0 bids]
Roast Fish, Collie Weed US $15.00 [0 bids]
The life and times of country Joe and the fish vinyl US $5.00 [0 bids]
Robin Williamson - Legacy of the Scottish Harpers - Flying Fish Records - LP! US $4.99 [0 bids]
Jahiti Fish Bowl.. 7th Anniversary Edition US $5.00 Buy It Now 7h 6m
BARINYA ALEXANDER ILLITCH EPPLER. FLYING FISH RECORD # FF285 SHRINK WRAPPED US $6.50 Buy It Now 7h 7m
Fish & Roses DEAR JOHN Jean Derome Sue Garner Chris Stamey RARE FGAO12cd US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 22m

More places to buy FISH music online Buy FISH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FISH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FISH Songs From The Mirror ratings distribution

FISH Songs From The Mirror reviews

Review by Hibou
3 stars This is not a prog album per se but a string of cover songs which FISH decided to make his own. Some of them turn out better than others but overall, I found quite a few that actually sound better than the original versions. At the very worst, they give you a different perspective on tunes you've long relegated to your old 'pop' days such as the MOODY BLUES "Question", PINK FLOYD's "Fearless", GENESIS' "I Know What I Like", MARC BOLAN's "Jeepster" and DAVID BOWIE'S "Five Years', to name the ones I prefer. Even if this could be deemed a pop album, the professionalism displayed on it is beyond reproach. You can also tell FISH is having fun, here. If you keep in mind that the man did not intend to make any profound intellectual statement with such an album, you'll be able to enjoy it for what it is. Thanks for the breath of fresh air, FISH.

Send comments to Hibou (BETA) | Report this review (#25063) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 29, 2004

Review by Gatot
2 stars This is the third studio album from Fish and the band and was the last deal with Polydor before he made a label of his own. As the album title, this represents cover version of other rock stars: J. Hayward of Moody Blues, Alex Harvey, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Argent, Marc Bolan, The Kinks, The Who, Bowie and Sandy Denny. It contains Fish' interpretation and appreciation of those rock stars of the 70s. It represents almost all genre: glam rock, classic rock, and progressive rock (was called as art rock). Honestly, I'm not familiar about the glam rock era until I watched a movie "VELVET GOLDMINE" that covered the period when glam rock was born with Bolan and Bowie as super stars at that period.

I don't recommend this album to most of you who never heard of Fish with Marillion or as solo artist. This album has nothing but appreciation of rockers. I only recommend this album for collectors / fans only unless you are in the stage of exploring Fish works (having observed his work with Marillion). Don't get me wrong with the rating because as a fan of Fish I like this album. Three reasons why I like this album: First, I love Fish' voice - even though his voice quality is not top class (as many of my friends say it so) but he has a strong character in his singing style; he can stimulate a positive energy with his voice. He even can sing with his heart as he appreciates the song writers of this album. I really enjoy his voice. His voice is not the same as Gabriel, but it's nice.

Second reason, I like almost all of songs featured in this album (except those from glam rock era that I'm not used to listen). "Hold Your Head Up" was my favorite when I was a childhood - it's a very energetic and uplifting track. "Boston Tea Party" is also nice song. Pink Floyd's "Fearless" was my favorite as well. What else? Of course Genesis's "I Know What I Like" who has been composed differently from original version. It's good for a change - it's much more disco style, but it's OK. Third reason, I like the overall performance of Fish and the band in this album; excellent! This includes the sonic quality of the CD produced - I can hear all details pretty clear in my ears. Great production!

Well, even though I love this album , but I don't recommend to all of you to have it instead. Why? It's for collectors / fans only. If you are a fan, this album is probably excellent for you. I leave it up to you to decide. Rating 2/5. GW, Indonesia.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#25064) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 30, 2004

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Party pieces

For reasons best know to himself, but on the face of it unabashed self indulgence, Fish decided to record an entire album of cover versions. The songs chosen are among his favourites, but that does not necessarily mean they are suitable for his style.

The opening track, "Question" was a hit single for the Moody Blues in the early 70's, also appearing on their "Question of balance" album. It's a wonderful song, which requires the melodic tones of Justin Hayward to work. Fish has a very distinctive vocal style. He can at times sing quieter passages with great delicacy, but his delivery on up-tempo songs is less melodic. Thus, while his performance on the middle section of "Question" is adequate, the faster sections at the start and end are poor.

The Sensational Alex Harvey band's "Boston Tea Party" is a more appropriate choice in terms of suitability, although even here, Fish does not offer anything other than a faithful cover of the original. Argent's "Hold your head up" also holds up better, the chorus becoming a multi-tracked chant. It lacks Rod Argent's excellent organ solo though.

Elsewhere "Fearless" (Pink Floyd) has a good guitar riff, but lacks the distinctive football crowd ending. Tracks such as "Jeepster" (T Rex), and "Five years" (Bowie) are reasonably faithful to the originals.

What we do get is the opportunity to hear Fish performing a Genesis song, and thus the chance to compare his delivery with that of Peter Gabriel. The choruses of "I know what I like" do find Fish sounding very Gabrielesque, probably deliberately.

One has to "question" the purpose of this release. The songs are all very familiar, the definitive versions of each being the originals. If anything, all the album goes to show is that Fish is not that great a singer. He's fine within the bounds of his own material, but here he sounds like a so-so night-club performer, the versions he presents on this album are little more than his party pieces.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#25065) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 07, 2005

Review by progrules
1 stars When Fish left Marillion in the late eighties and started a solo carreer you would think he had great plans for instance where the songwriting is concerned. His third album contains only covers. Need I say more ? This is very disappointing ! I don't like covers. It's usually poverty, a lack of inspiration in your own songwriting when you use covers. Especially in a genre (progrock) where compositions and writing your own songs are essential elements I think it's at least poor and actually unforgivable to do this. In fact it doesn't matter anymore to me if the covers are nicely done or whether Fish delivers a good performance or not. Maybe I'm too harsh here but I can only give this one star.

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#145209) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This is course a particular album in Fish's discography. Prog is not even next door. But that's what it was all about. To perform some great songs (but not all of them) from great artists (but not all of them are great IMO).

To start this review, I would think that one of the least probable song here is "Solo" from Sandy Denny. The great folk female vocalist who was backing Plant during "The Battle Of Evermore" (Led Zep, would you believe!). This interpretation is one of the good moments of this album.

During my mid teenage days, I was a fan from "The Sensational Alex Harvey Band" and even if "Boston Tea Party" is pretty well executed, it doesn't have the grandeur of "Faith Healer" of course. But most of these covers don't dig in the best repertoire of the artists featured (maybe a royalty issue?). "Fearless" (without You're Never Walk alone) from the Floyd being a wonderful example.

And even if the version of "Apeman" might sound funny (The Kings), it is far from being great. A typical "Press Next" T song. And the "Argent" cover does sound too much like a weak Collins one to be interesting.

With the last four songs, Fish is touching some other big, very big names (but remember, he already covered "The Kinks", and Floyd). As one could have expected, the "Genesis" cover won't be "The Musical Box" nor "Watcher" nor "Firth". Just their most commercial song (still great of course) : "I Know What I Like". His interpretation is good of course. Funny to hear Fish singing a Genesis number (but the closing part is quite difficult to bear).

In the early mid-seventies, I was quite in the glam rock fantasy; and T-Rex was of course a fave of mine. This version of "Jeepster" is probably not as good as the original but not too bad at all.

You might have understood for about fourteen months and some 1,400 reviews (although I do not relate too much of him here) that I have a special relation with this great man (?). Since I was fourteen. Yes, it all started in 1973. And it never stopped. This version of "Five Years" is a good one but the choirs are a bit too much. Not on par with the original IMHHO (you know the humble and honest affair, I guess). I just LOVE this song and I believe it is one (out of plenty) out of the greatest Bowie wrote.

A good closing number but if you sincerely listen to each song, there is little to write home about here. I am rating this album with three stars, not due to Fish's great interpretations, but more to some excellent original songs. And most of them are so closely related to band s I appreciated so much.

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#163398) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 07, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars Songs From The Mirror was Fish┬┤s third solo album and it seems to be released as such to fulfill his contract with Polydor. That may explains why he did an entire CD of covers so early in his solo career and not a so good one. The title is a reference to the songs he used to sing in front of the mirror as a youth, dreaming on becoming a rock star. However, the selection is hardly prog at all and also does not exactly fit his voice.

The tracklist is quite varied (covers of Bowie, T-Rex. Moody Blues, the Kinks and others, but he did not exactly chose the best from those either), the band is of course full of good musicians, and Fish, well, he is one of prog┬┤s best singers to appear on the scene since the early 80┬┤s. But Fish┬┤s talent lays much on his poetry and the way he sings his own stuff. As a covers singer he would stand very little chance: he lacks the vocal technique and training to really bring up something new to this repertoire. Besides, the whole record seems to be rush recorded and released. It is very short and the best version (The Who┬┤s The Seeker) is a bonus track. That tells it all, doesn┬┤t it? Even his interpretation of Genesis I Know What I Like sounds forced and unnatural. It looked like he did it just satisfy people┬┤s curiosity (after all those comparisons with Peter Gabriel when he was in Marillion)

As much as I love this guy and his work (with Marillion, solo and with others), this is one of the very few true disappointments I found in his discography. Sad to say, it is also the only of his CDs I ever got rid of. He may had his reasons to do it as he did. Still, it┬┤s too far removed from the quality stuff he recorded thus far to justify even a three star rating. This is for hardcore fans, collectors and completionists (which I┤m not). Two stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#290522) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 16, 2010

Review by lazland
1 stars I've put this on now in a pique of curiousity, for the first time in about ten years, with only two questions on my mind. Is it as awful as I remember it being when I first bought it? Is it still a one star album from one of my favourite artists of all time?

Regrettably, the answer to both of these questions is yes. If ever there was a contender for worse prog or prog related album of all time, then this is it. This was the last album Fish made for his then record label, and I've never been altogether sure whether a covers album of undoubted classics was his or the label's idea/fault in trying to resurrect some badly needed commercial success. It didn't work, and this album represented the true nadir of a great man's career, although, thankfully, he was able, later, to turn it all around and release some exceptional neo prog original work.

About the only credit I can give this album is that at least, in the main, he went for some of the more obscure titles from some of his favourite inspirations. Regrettably, he and his band murder each and every one of them, so much so that I haven't got the energy to review the tracks individually.

Utterly devoid of imagination, feelings, managing to make even Fearless (an exceptional Floyd track) sound like the sort of track the BBC used to put out on Sunday Night Light Programme for your great grandmother's delight, surely a feat in itself, there is not a kind word to say.

In fact, this review should be left at that. Avoid at all costs, even if you feel that you have to have all of his albums. It is not a true Fish LP. It must have been the work of an imposter.

Send comments to lazland (BETA) | Report this review (#340836) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 02, 2010

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
2 stars I didn't realise that it was an album of covers. When I saw it in a music shop I just bought it. Vigil was a good album and Internal Exile wasn't too bad. I wasn't very passionate for the new Marillion so I didn't read the song's titles.

When making covers an artist has two choices: stay as much as possible close to the original or change everything and make it a new song. I really like the reaggae version of Dark Side Of The Moon by "Easy Stars All-Stars" to make an example.

Unfortunately Fish remained in the middle: not too different and not too close. In a word: "useless", at least for the songs that I already knew.

There are some that I never heard before and of which I still don't know the original versions. They are: Boston Tea Party, Hold Your Head Up and Solo.

About "I know What I Like", I don't like the original, too.

The only highlight is Fearless. I like as it has been arranged and even if this version doesn't add anything to the original is the only very enjoyable song of the album.

This is nothing more than a fan's item. A curiosity, let me say.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#434426) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 16, 2011

2 stars It doesn't matter whatever reasons had been thrown in the ring to put out this album, they never justified it at all, it's nothing but a compromise that the artist needed to make for the record company he was so hugely in debt with since Polydor had bought him out of the EMI-contract. And it was ... (read more)

Report this review (#610441) | Posted by rupert | Sunday, January 15, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FISH "Songs From The Mirror"