SONGS FROM THE MIRROR

Fish Songs From The Mirror album cover

Collectors/fans only

Buy FISH Music
Studio Album, released in 1993

1. Question (Moody Blues) (6:38)
2. Boston Tea Party (Alex Harvey Band) (4:25)
3. Fearless (Pink Floyd) (6:15)
4. Apeman (The Kinks) (5:54)
5. Hold Your Head Up (Argent) (3:43)
6. Solo (Sandy Denny) (4:09)
7. I Know What I Like (Genesis) (4:17)
8. Jeepster (Marc Bolan And T-Rex) (4:30)
9. The Seeker (The Who) (3:17)
10. Five Years (David Bowie) (5:19)

Search FISH Songs From The Mirror lyrics

- David Paton / bass
- Robin Boult / guitar
- Kevin Wilkinson / drums

Roadrunner Records RR 8682-2

FISH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Cliche Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors, 1990
  • Tongues Internal Exile, 1991

Buy FISH Songs From The Mirror Music

A Feast of Consequences (2013)A Feast of Consequences (2013)
?KOREA CD/Swimming Fish/Digital single US $14.99 Buy It Now 40m 37s
THE OTHER TWO - TASTY FISH VINYL 12" SINGLE FACTORY RECORDS,NEW ORDER US $1.64 Buy It Now 41m 14s
Badly Drawn Boy - Have You Fed The Fish? (CD 2002) NEW/SEALED US $8.26 Buy It Now 46m 12s
1990 An Emotional Fish Blue / An Obvious Song UK YZ539 45 rpm NM- Vinyl US $4.50 Buy It Now 48m 28s
Three Fish s/t ex Pearl jam ex Tribe After Tribe rock 1996 CD digipak w booklet US $5.50 [4 bids]
49m 3s
Wrong Highway Blues by Northern Lights (CD, Feb-1994, Flying Fish) US $9.99 Buy It Now 49m 36s
Passion Fish by Original Soundtrack (CD, Feb-1993, Daring) US $8.99 [0 bids]
50m 46s
Fish Leong Hong Kong Promo Poster taiwan pop US $4.99 Buy It Now 54m 51s
FISH LEONG LIVE IN MACAO 2012 PROMO FLYER US $1.99 Buy It Now 54m 56s
Robin Williamson CD Winter's Turning Flying Fish Records OOP US $42.00 Buy It Now 58m 11s
VINTAGE COUNTRY JOE AND THE FISH LP~1967~VANGAURD RECORDS~VINYL VG++ US $16.00 [0 bids]
Robin Williamson CD Legacy of the Scottish Harpers OOP Flying Fish Label US $45.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Tugg - Slippery Fish - Fuego - 2002 #79268 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Beat Society - Fish Outta Water (The Remixes) #131973 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Japanese Fighting Fish Just Before We Go New CD Album US $11.59 Buy It Now 1h 10m
BARRY (the Fish) MELTON. "LEVEL WITH ME" RAG BABY, UK 1979 LP. ORIG EX. US $16.57 [0 bids]
REEL BIG FISH-CHEER UP! ADVANCE CD 16-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS329 US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
DO-RAY-MI TRIO R&B Jazz 45rpm Saturday Night Fish Fry/Slow Boat To China LISTEN US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Paul Oakenfold Sword Fish (Album Sampler Pt 2) #299863 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Mancrab - Fish For Life - United Artists - 1986 #345595 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Terence Trent D'Arby - Neither Fish Nor Flesh #419155 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Ruby - Salt Water Fish (Peshay Remix) - White #158025 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 38m
BROWNIE FORD STORIES FROM MOUNTAINS SWAMPS AND HONKY TONKS 1990 FLYING FISH US $7.49 Buy It Now 1h 40m
John Lennon Double Fantasy & Shaved Fish LP Records Beatles NM Vinyl US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Frankie Knuckles(12" Vinyl P/S)Too Many Fish-Virgin---Ex/New (UNPLAYED) US $21.54 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Country Joe & The Fish "C.J. Fish" Vanguard Lp VSD 6555 US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
JUSTIN WILSON - CAUGHT DEM FISH - CD US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Disc-Go Fish/Superstar * NEW ITEM! US $19.88 Buy It Now 2h 20m
VTG Chris Squire 'Fish Out Of Water' Vinyl Record; 1975; YES US $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Robert Gordon w/Link Wray 2 Lps Excellent Condition Fresh Fish Special + 1 More US $49.99 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Geof Morgan Flying Fish LP 1981 US $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Bryan Bowers "Home, Home On The Road" 1980 Flying Fish LP/Tom Gray/ Sam Bush US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 45m
FISH-Lot of 2 magazine adverts US $4.96 Buy It Now 2h 46m
John Lennon - Shaved Fish LP lp vg+ cover and insert Mint - US $15.99 [0 bids]
CHRIS SQUIRE prog.rock Lp FISH OUT OF WATER ~ US ATL. VG+ to VG++ w.inner sleeve US $5.84 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Trudy Lynn: Come To Mama / Fish Girl Blues 45 - Soul US $2.40 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Malaysia Fish Leong Liang Jin Ru 2002 Rare Rock Taiwan VCD FCS4585 US $17.99 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Mike Auldridge & Old Dog Flying Fish LP 1977 US $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 16m
SMOKE LIKE A FISH - SURVIVAL OF THE HIP'EST - NEW CD US $19.88 Buy It Now 3h 19m
SMOKE LIKE A FISH - S/T - NEW CD US $18.23 Buy It Now 3h 20m
LP CHRIS SQUIRE (of YES) - FISH OUT OF WATER (ATLANTIC K50203) 1975 BRITISH US $15.67 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Reel big fish-2005 magazine advert US $8.28 Buy It Now 3h 30m
JOHN LENNON/SHAVED FISH ORIG UK US $70.50 Buy It Now 3h 39m
JOHN LENNON/SHAVED FISH ORIG UK PCS7173 US $92.50 Buy It Now 3h 39m
STEVE HILLAGE: Fish Rising (Blue Plate) US $5.24 Buy It Now 3h 53m
Eric Fish - Kaskade [CD New] US $37.99 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Wholesale Meats and Fish by Letters to Cleo (CD, Jul-1995, Giant (USA)) US $1.19 [0 bids]
Fish That's A Song [CD New] US $14.92 Buy It Now 4h 7m
COUNTRY JOE & THE FI - VANGUARD VISIONARIES [COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH] - NEW CD US $7.08 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Steve Hillage Fish Rising CD US $11.59 Buy It Now 4h 9m
frankie knuckles featuring adeva too many fish vinyl virgin US $1.89 Buy It Now 4h 23m
THE THOM BELL ORCHESTRA - The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh - FUNK SOUL DISCO 45 US $10.99 Buy It Now 4h 27m
BIG FISH ENSEMBLE-STUPID MAN/TOMORROW NEVER KNOWS-LONG PLAY LP24 NM/NM 45+PS US $7.98 Buy It Now 4h 28m
AMOS GARRETT-GO CAT GO-FLYING FISH FF 226 - RECORD VG+ COVER VG US $3.99 [0 bids]
Disc-Go Fish/Party Like A Preschooler * NEW ITEM! US $20.22 Buy It Now 4h 38m
LOUIS JORDAN - SATURDAY NIGHT FISH FRY: THE ORIGINAL & GREATEST HITS - NEW CD US $11.71 Buy It Now 4h 43m
*R&B/JUMP BLUES* ~Eddie & Betty~ :Saturday Night Fish Fry: WARNER BROS 1959 ~MP3 US $19.99 [0 bids]
JOHN LENNON Shaved Fish EX/EX Apple 1975 lp vinyl + inner no isbn BEATLES SOLO US $18.00 Buy It Now 4h 50m
OUR LADY PEACE - Happiness Is Not a Fish That You Can US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 57m
DELEGATES - DIARY OF HAMILTON FISH - NEW CD + PLUS FREE PUNK CD US $17.68 Buy It Now 4h 57m
THE GALACTIC COWBOYS MACHINE FISH PROMO ADVANCE CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Murder dog present : Piranha killer fish rare g-funk 11/5 el kaye lil gene US $115.00 Buy It Now 5h 8m
HK Cd CHYI YU Camel, Flying Bird & Fish ~NEW~ ?? ????? US $30.99 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Robin Flower Green Sneakers vinyl LP 1982 VG Flying Fish Records US $7.95 Buy It Now 5h 10m
MICKY & THE SALTY SEA DOGS Fresh Fish EP 7" NEW VINYL LIMITED LO-FI GARAGE US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 11m
Go Fish Live Created For This CD 2000 US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Choo Choo Hot Fish - Good US $2.48 Buy It Now 5h 21m
Reel Big Fish : Turn the Radio Off CD (1997) US $9.62 Buy It Now 5h 22m
2 LP Lot Cream "Goodbye" & Country Joe & The Fish "Here We Are Again" US $13.99 Buy It Now 5h 30m
FISH THAT'S A SONG / VARIOUS NEW CD US $24.26 Buy It Now 5h 31m
UNDERWORLD Beaucoup Fish 1998 UK CD Cups-Push Upstairs-Jumbo-Shudder/King of Sna US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 32m
JEFF THE BROTHERHOOD-Cancer Killer b/w Like a Fish In Water 7" US $100.00 [0 bids]
Linda Waterfall - Body English LP Vinyl Flying Fish US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 36m
Fish (Marillion)/Big Wedge + 2 (PICTURE DISC) (UK/Vinyl EP) US $17.99 Buy It Now 5h 36m
EDDIE & THE HOT RODS---FISH 'N' CHIPS US $6.00 [0 bids]
Country Joe and The Fish I feel Like I'm Fixin To Die c/w Fish Game VG++ FP 1967 US $91.78 Buy It Now 5h 41m
Tyler J Barnes Ziss Fish Tape Hawaiian Experimental Synth Punk '81 US $7.99 [1 bids]
TV Ghost "Cold Fish" LP OOP Drive Like Jehu In the Red US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 46m
Country Joe & The Fish* ?- Here We Are Again 12" RECORD US $9.00 Buy It Now 5h 51m
R & R ~ BOBBY RYDELL ~ CAMEO 192 "THE THIRD HOUSE / THE FISH" 1960 US $8.95 [0 bids]
FISH A Feast Of Consequences (CD/2013) !NEW! Marillion US $45.00 Buy It Now 6h 18m
Marillion 7" Kayleigh USA Promo + PS Fish US $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 34m
School Of Fish 5-song Demo Alt Rock Josh Clayton Felt '89 US $7.99 [0 bids]
JENNIFER E. KEMP - A MILLION FISH 1-VERSION U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS372 US $2.99 Buy It Now 6h 38m
THREE FISH JEFF AMENT original 10x8 inch promo press photo photograph 3999-1 US $8.28 Buy It Now 6h 43m
John Lennon - Shaved Fish - Rare New Sealed Cassette US $32.50 Buy It Now 6h 48m
Badly Drawn Boy - Have You Fed The Fish NEW CD US $15.19 Buy It Now 6h 54m
Country Joe & The Fish Here We Go Again Record Vanguard VSD-79299 US $11.95 Buy It Now 6h 57m
COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH Together psych LP M- US 1968 orig gold label Vanguard US $17.98 Buy It Now 6h 57m
COUNTRY JOE & FISH I Feel Like I'm Fixin To Die LP 1967 MONO orig GAME VRS 9266 US $102.00 Buy It Now 6h 57m
ECLECTRICITY Language Of The Heart LP VG++ US 1982 orig Flying Fish FF 281 US $17.98 Buy It Now 6h 58m
EDDIE AND THE HOT RODS - FISH N CHIPS(1980, LP, SW-17037) VG++ Original Vinyl US $10.99 Buy It Now 6h 58m
Paul Evans / Fish In The Ocean / Happy Go Lucky Me /Orig. 1960 / Play Tested /EX US $2.49 Buy It Now 7h 6m
The Bob Riedy Blues Band Just Off Halsted Flying Fish 006 US $9.99 [0 bids]
An Emotional Fish, An Emotional Fish,Very Good, CASSETTE AUDIO TAPE- complete wi US $5.33 Buy It Now 7h 8m
Si Khan "I'll Be There" 1989 Folk LP, Nice VG++!, Flying Fish, Vinyl US $6.95 Buy It Now 7h 12m
Michael Smith S/T self-titled vinyl LP NM 1986 Flying Fish US $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 15m
Chris Squire (YES) Fish Out Of Water LP SD-18159 LP VG+ Cut Out US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 15m
GHOSTFACE More Fish 12"single reissue US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 28m
RN-PD-650 GEFILTE JOE & THE FISH Hanukah Rocks! OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record US $12.99 Buy It Now 7h 29m

More places to buy FISH music online Buy FISH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FISH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FISH Songs From The Mirror ratings distribution

FISH Songs From The Mirror reviews

Review by Hibou
3 stars This is not a prog album per se but a string of cover songs which FISH decided to make his own. Some of them turn out better than others but overall, I found quite a few that actually sound better than the original versions. At the very worst, they give you a different perspective on tunes you've long relegated to your old 'pop' days such as the MOODY BLUES "Question", PINK FLOYD's "Fearless", GENESIS' "I Know What I Like", MARC BOLAN's "Jeepster" and DAVID BOWIE'S "Five Years', to name the ones I prefer. Even if this could be deemed a pop album, the professionalism displayed on it is beyond reproach. You can also tell FISH is having fun, here. If you keep in mind that the man did not intend to make any profound intellectual statement with such an album, you'll be able to enjoy it for what it is. Thanks for the breath of fresh air, FISH.

Send comments to Hibou (BETA) | Report this review (#25063) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 29, 2004

Review by Gatot
2 stars This is the third studio album from Fish and the band and was the last deal with Polydor before he made a label of his own. As the album title, this represents cover version of other rock stars: J. Hayward of Moody Blues, Alex Harvey, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Argent, Marc Bolan, The Kinks, The Who, Bowie and Sandy Denny. It contains Fish' interpretation and appreciation of those rock stars of the 70s. It represents almost all genre: glam rock, classic rock, and progressive rock (was called as art rock). Honestly, I'm not familiar about the glam rock era until I watched a movie "VELVET GOLDMINE" that covered the period when glam rock was born with Bolan and Bowie as super stars at that period.

I don't recommend this album to most of you who never heard of Fish with Marillion or as solo artist. This album has nothing but appreciation of rockers. I only recommend this album for collectors / fans only unless you are in the stage of exploring Fish works (having observed his work with Marillion). Don't get me wrong with the rating because as a fan of Fish I like this album. Three reasons why I like this album: First, I love Fish' voice - even though his voice quality is not top class (as many of my friends say it so) but he has a strong character in his singing style; he can stimulate a positive energy with his voice. He even can sing with his heart as he appreciates the song writers of this album. I really enjoy his voice. His voice is not the same as Gabriel, but it's nice.

Second reason, I like almost all of songs featured in this album (except those from glam rock era that I'm not used to listen). "Hold Your Head Up" was my favorite when I was a childhood - it's a very energetic and uplifting track. "Boston Tea Party" is also nice song. Pink Floyd's "Fearless" was my favorite as well. What else? Of course Genesis's "I Know What I Like" who has been composed differently from original version. It's good for a change - it's much more disco style, but it's OK. Third reason, I like the overall performance of Fish and the band in this album; excellent! This includes the sonic quality of the CD produced - I can hear all details pretty clear in my ears. Great production!

Well, even though I love this album , but I don't recommend to all of you to have it instead. Why? It's for collectors / fans only. If you are a fan, this album is probably excellent for you. I leave it up to you to decide. Rating 2/5. GW, Indonesia.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#25064) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 30, 2004

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Party pieces

For reasons best know to himself, but on the face of it unabashed self indulgence, Fish decided to record an entire album of cover versions. The songs chosen are among his favourites, but that does not necessarily mean they are suitable for his style.

The opening track, "Question" was a hit single for the Moody Blues in the early 70's, also appearing on their "Question of balance" album. It's a wonderful song, which requires the melodic tones of Justin Hayward to work. Fish has a very distinctive vocal style. He can at times sing quieter passages with great delicacy, but his delivery on up-tempo songs is less melodic. Thus, while his performance on the middle section of "Question" is adequate, the faster sections at the start and end are poor.

The Sensational Alex Harvey band's "Boston Tea Party" is a more appropriate choice in terms of suitability, although even here, Fish does not offer anything other than a faithful cover of the original. Argent's "Hold your head up" also holds up better, the chorus becoming a multi-tracked chant. It lacks Rod Argent's excellent organ solo though.

Elsewhere "Fearless" (Pink Floyd) has a good guitar riff, but lacks the distinctive football crowd ending. Tracks such as "Jeepster" (T Rex), and "Five years" (Bowie) are reasonably faithful to the originals.

What we do get is the opportunity to hear Fish performing a Genesis song, and thus the chance to compare his delivery with that of Peter Gabriel. The choruses of "I know what I like" do find Fish sounding very Gabrielesque, probably deliberately.

One has to "question" the purpose of this release. The songs are all very familiar, the definitive versions of each being the originals. If anything, all the album goes to show is that Fish is not that great a singer. He's fine within the bounds of his own material, but here he sounds like a so-so night-club performer, the versions he presents on this album are little more than his party pieces.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#25065) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 07, 2005

Review by progrules
1 stars When Fish left Marillion in the late eighties and started a solo carreer you would think he had great plans for instance where the songwriting is concerned. His third album contains only covers. Need I say more ? This is very disappointing ! I don't like covers. It's usually poverty, a lack of inspiration in your own songwriting when you use covers. Especially in a genre (progrock) where compositions and writing your own songs are essential elements I think it's at least poor and actually unforgivable to do this. In fact it doesn't matter anymore to me if the covers are nicely done or whether Fish delivers a good performance or not. Maybe I'm too harsh here but I can only give this one star.

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#145209) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This is course a particular album in Fish's discography. Prog is not even next door. But that's what it was all about. To perform some great songs (but not all of them) from great artists (but not all of them are great IMO).

To start this review, I would think that one of the least probable song here is "Solo" from Sandy Denny. The great folk female vocalist who was backing Plant during "The Battle Of Evermore" (Led Zep, would you believe!). This interpretation is one of the good moments of this album.

During my mid teenage days, I was a fan from "The Sensational Alex Harvey Band" and even if "Boston Tea Party" is pretty well executed, it doesn't have the grandeur of "Faith Healer" of course. But most of these covers don't dig in the best repertoire of the artists featured (maybe a royalty issue?). "Fearless" (without You're Never Walk alone) from the Floyd being a wonderful example.

And even if the version of "Apeman" might sound funny (The Kings), it is far from being great. A typical "Press Next" T song. And the "Argent" cover does sound too much like a weak Collins one to be interesting.

With the last four songs, Fish is touching some other big, very big names (but remember, he already covered "The Kinks", and Floyd). As one could have expected, the "Genesis" cover won't be "The Musical Box" nor "Watcher" nor "Firth". Just their most commercial song (still great of course) : "I Know What I Like". His interpretation is good of course. Funny to hear Fish singing a Genesis number (but the closing part is quite difficult to bear).

In the early mid-seventies, I was quite in the glam rock fantasy; and T-Rex was of course a fave of mine. This version of "Jeepster" is probably not as good as the original but not too bad at all.

You might have understood for about fourteen months and some 1,400 reviews (although I do not relate too much of him here) that I have a special relation with this great man (?). Since I was fourteen. Yes, it all started in 1973. And it never stopped. This version of "Five Years" is a good one but the choirs are a bit too much. Not on par with the original IMHHO (you know the humble and honest affair, I guess). I just LOVE this song and I believe it is one (out of plenty) out of the greatest Bowie wrote.

A good closing number but if you sincerely listen to each song, there is little to write home about here. I am rating this album with three stars, not due to Fish's great interpretations, but more to some excellent original songs. And most of them are so closely related to band s I appreciated so much.

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#163398) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 07, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars Songs From The Mirror was Fish´s third solo album and it seems to be released as such to fulfill his contract with Polydor. That may explains why he did an entire CD of covers so early in his solo career and not a so good one. The title is a reference to the songs he used to sing in front of the mirror as a youth, dreaming on becoming a rock star. However, the selection is hardly prog at all and also does not exactly fit his voice.

The tracklist is quite varied (covers of Bowie, T-Rex. Moody Blues, the Kinks and others, but he did not exactly chose the best from those either), the band is of course full of good musicians, and Fish, well, he is one of prog´s best singers to appear on the scene since the early 80´s. But Fish´s talent lays much on his poetry and the way he sings his own stuff. As a covers singer he would stand very little chance: he lacks the vocal technique and training to really bring up something new to this repertoire. Besides, the whole record seems to be rush recorded and released. It is very short and the best version (The Who´s The Seeker) is a bonus track. That tells it all, doesn´t it? Even his interpretation of Genesis I Know What I Like sounds forced and unnatural. It looked like he did it just satisfy people´s curiosity (after all those comparisons with Peter Gabriel when he was in Marillion)

As much as I love this guy and his work (with Marillion, solo and with others), this is one of the very few true disappointments I found in his discography. Sad to say, it is also the only of his CDs I ever got rid of. He may had his reasons to do it as he did. Still, it´s too far removed from the quality stuff he recorded thus far to justify even a three star rating. This is for hardcore fans, collectors and completionists (which Im not). Two stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#290522) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 16, 2010

Review by lazland
1 stars I've put this on now in a pique of curiousity, for the first time in about ten years, with only two questions on my mind. Is it as awful as I remember it being when I first bought it? Is it still a one star album from one of my favourite artists of all time?

Regrettably, the answer to both of these questions is yes. If ever there was a contender for worse prog or prog related album of all time, then this is it. This was the last album Fish made for his then record label, and I've never been altogether sure whether a covers album of undoubted classics was his or the label's idea/fault in trying to resurrect some badly needed commercial success. It didn't work, and this album represented the true nadir of a great man's career, although, thankfully, he was able, later, to turn it all around and release some exceptional neo prog original work.

About the only credit I can give this album is that at least, in the main, he went for some of the more obscure titles from some of his favourite inspirations. Regrettably, he and his band murder each and every one of them, so much so that I haven't got the energy to review the tracks individually.

Utterly devoid of imagination, feelings, managing to make even Fearless (an exceptional Floyd track) sound like the sort of track the BBC used to put out on Sunday Night Light Programme for your great grandmother's delight, surely a feat in itself, there is not a kind word to say.

In fact, this review should be left at that. Avoid at all costs, even if you feel that you have to have all of his albums. It is not a true Fish LP. It must have been the work of an imposter.

Send comments to lazland (BETA) | Report this review (#340836) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 02, 2010

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
2 stars I didn't realise that it was an album of covers. When I saw it in a music shop I just bought it. Vigil was a good album and Internal Exile wasn't too bad. I wasn't very passionate for the new Marillion so I didn't read the song's titles.

When making covers an artist has two choices: stay as much as possible close to the original or change everything and make it a new song. I really like the reaggae version of Dark Side Of The Moon by "Easy Stars All-Stars" to make an example.

Unfortunately Fish remained in the middle: not too different and not too close. In a word: "useless", at least for the songs that I already knew.

There are some that I never heard before and of which I still don't know the original versions. They are: Boston Tea Party, Hold Your Head Up and Solo.

About "I know What I Like", I don't like the original, too.

The only highlight is Fearless. I like as it has been arranged and even if this version doesn't add anything to the original is the only very enjoyable song of the album.

This is nothing more than a fan's item. A curiosity, let me say.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#434426) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 16, 2011

2 stars It doesn't matter whatever reasons had been thrown in the ring to put out this album, they never justified it at all, it's nothing but a compromise that the artist needed to make for the record company he was so hugely in debt with since Polydor had bought him out of the EMI-contract. And it was ... (read more)

Report this review (#610441) | Posted by rupert | Sunday, January 15, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FISH "Songs From The Mirror"