SONGS FROM THE MIRROR

Fish Songs From The Mirror album cover

Collectors/fans only

Buy FISH Music
Studio Album, released in 1993

1. Question (Moody Blues) (6:38)
2. Boston Tea Party (Alex Harvey Band) (4:25)
3. Fearless (Pink Floyd) (6:15)
4. Apeman (The Kinks) (5:54)
5. Hold Your Head Up (Argent) (3:43)
6. Solo (Sandy Denny) (4:09)
7. I Know What I Like (Genesis) (4:17)
8. Jeepster (Marc Bolan And T-Rex) (4:30)
9. The Seeker (The Who) (3:17)
10. Five Years (David Bowie) (5:19)

Search FISH Songs From The Mirror lyrics

- David Paton / bass
- Robin Boult / guitar
- Kevin Wilkinson / drums

Roadrunner Records RR 8682-2

FISH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Cliche Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors, 1990
  • Tongues Internal Exile, 1991

Buy FISH Songs From The Mirror Music

STEWART COPELAND Rumble Fish LP SP6-4983 POLICE NM '83! US $17.00 Buy It Now 58m 20s
DAVID BENNETT COHEN ROCK┤N┤ROLL GUITAR W. INSTRUCTIONS COUNTRY JOE US $20.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
SARGANT FURY - Little Fish CD 1993 (MSG/Scorpions/Victory/Bonfire/Thunder style) US $10.55 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Attila the Stockbrocker's Barnstormer Just One Life cd John Baine Fish Brothers US $19.90 Buy It Now 1h 47m
hot disc LP:I ROY-doctor fish (hear) US $84.71 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Fish & Fowl - Scenatet New & Sealed CD US $13.40 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Melanie Doane - Shakespearean Fish CD Canada 11trk US $15.32 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Badly Drawn Boy: Have You Fed The Fish? CD Album 3133A US $2.52 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Steve Hillage Fish Rising lp new vinyl gong US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Cynthia Richards Foolish Fish King Stitt On the Street Vinyl 45 Vintage Reggae US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 7m
RADIATORS Bucket of Fish CD OOP 80s ROCK US $4.17 Buy It Now 3h 19m
SALLY ROGERS Love Will Guide Us LP Flying Fish EX+ US $11.44 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Fish-1994 magazine advert US $8.46 Buy It Now 3h 34m
TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY neither fish nor flesh 465809-1 1989 LP PS EX/EX + booklet US $15.23 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Fish-magazine advert US $8.46 Buy It Now 3h 47m
MARILLION (FISH ERA) - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF S3) US $16.86 Buy It Now 3h 51m
MARILLION (FISH ERA) - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF S4) US $16.86 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Reel Big Fish - Best Of Us For The Rest Of Us (Bigger [CD New] US $14.06 Buy It Now 4h 5m
COUNTRY JOE & THE FI - TOGETHER [COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $9.08 Buy It Now 4h 16m
FISH-Lot of 2 vintage adverts US $5.07 Buy It Now 4h 19m
BRIAN SCHRAM - ROCKIN' FISH TALES, VOL. 3: BACK IN BASS - NEW CD US $12.83 Buy It Now 4h 21m
COUNTRY JOE AND THE FISH 'GREATEST HITS' VINYL LP (VSD 6545) - EXCELLENT COND. US $6.76 [0 bids]
RULE 62 Self Titled CD Believed Zero Drown Chains Dead Fish 12 trks MINT US $4.36 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Graemel ?- Stag Beetle + Qattara Mix : Steel Fish Records PROG TRANCE US $1.68 Buy It Now 5h
Zappa,Frank - Thing-Fish [CD New] US $15.34 Buy It Now 5h 9m
COLD FISH love me today 7" promo b/w strange boy (cbsa2779) writing on label uk US $8.46 Buy It Now 5h 18m
GRAEMEL-SPIRITUAL SKY-STEEL FISH TRANCE @LISTEN US $8.12 Buy It Now 5h 29m
SAMANTHA FISH - BLACK WIND HOWLIN' - NEW CD US $14.15 Buy It Now 5h 30m
The Ventures-BLP-2004(mono) Pale blue,fish on top US $60.00 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Fish - Raingods With Zippos CD US $16.51 Buy It Now 6h 12m
Fish - Tales From The Big Bus - Double CD US $23.08 Buy It Now 6h 13m
Fish,Samantha - Black Wind Howlin' [CD New] US $18.98 Buy It Now 6h 18m
An Emotional Fish - An Emotional Fish (CD 1990) US $13.99 Buy It Now 6h 19m
John Lennon - Shaved Fish - Rare Cassette US $12.00 Buy It Now 6h 27m
Marillion Script for A Jester Japan Promo White Label Vinyl LP w OBI Fish US $99.99 Buy It Now 6h 30m
TERENCE TRENT DARBY'S cassette tape album NEITHER FISH NOR FLESH US $11.00 Buy It Now 6h 32m
Letters to Cleo - Wholesale Meats & Fish - (CD) - Like New Condition US $3.00 [0 bids]
An Emotional Fish - Celebrate. NEW/UNPLAYED 7" Vinyl US $4.66 Buy It Now 6h 56m
Jacob's Mouse,CD,Cut-Out,No Fish Shop Parking US $5.49 Buy It Now 7h 46m
RIBLJA CORBA,the best of riblja corba, fish dish ex yugo CD US $24.00 Buy It Now 7h 50m
Reel Big Fish : Keep Your Reciept E.P. CD (2001) US $3.73 Buy It Now 8h 2m
*SALE* FISH - YANG Ultimate Rare Poland Press Cassette Neo Prog Rock Marillion US $2.90 Buy It Now 8h 2m
VINTAGE COUNTRY JOE AND THE FISH LP~1967~VANGAURD RECORDS~VINYL VG++ US $18.00 [0 bids]
Pacific Rim - Dulcimer Project - Flying Fish Records - SEALED LP!! US $4.99 [0 bids]
Chris Proctor - The Delicate Dance - Flying Fish Records - SEALED LP!! US $4.99 [0 bids]
ROBERT GORDON w/LINK WRAY: FRESH FISH SPECIAL: '78 LP US $25.40 Buy It Now 8h 15m
VASSAR CLEMENTS BAND 'VASSAR' 1980 FLYING FISH BLUEGRASS LP / RECORD US $5.99 [0 bids]
Skyline Late For Work LP VG++ vinyl in shrink Flying Fish 261 US $6.00 Buy It Now 8h 17m
Dave Mallett Open Doors & Windows Still Sealed LP Maine Folk flying fish US $8.00 Buy It Now 8h 17m
Badly Drawn Boy - Have You Fed the Fish? (2002) US $3.37 Buy It Now 8h 49m
School of Fish- The Wrong Sampler- Rock EP SEALED US $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 3m
The Red Clay Ramblers "Chuckin The Frizz" LP in Shrink on Flying Fish Label NM US $9.98 Buy It Now 9h 6m
Japanese Figting Fish - They lie / They Dub - CD Promo 2 tracks US $6.76 Buy It Now 9h 12m
COUNTRY JOE AND THE FISH REUNION LP 587 US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 23m
COLIN NEWMAN (1982 WIRE) PROVISIONALLY ENTITLED SINGING FISH/NOT TO RARE OOP CD US $19.50 Buy It Now 9h 27m
Beaucoup Fish by Underworld (CD, Feb-2006, V2 (USA)) US $2.49 Buy It Now 9h 37m
COUNTRY GAZETTE ~ AMERICA'S BLUEGRASS BAND ~ RARE BLUEGRASS 1982 FLYING FISH LP US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 47m
TRAPEZOID ~ MOTHER COUNTRY 1982 FLYING FISH SHRINK LP / RECORD US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 47m
33RPM Jazz Vinyl Paula Lockheart "YOO-IT" *MINT* Flying Fish FF451 103012LAE US $15.99 Buy It Now 9h 51m
Various Artists Happiness...is Not a Fish You Can Catch [Best Buy Exclusive] CD US $4.03 Buy It Now 10h 13m
John Hartford / Jamie Hartford - Hartford & Hartford (CD, Jul-1991, Flying Fish) US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 16m
FIDDLE FEVER Waltz of the Wind SEALED LP tony trischka bluegrass '84 Flying Fish US $19.95 [0 bids]
SHRIEKBACK FISH BELOW THE ICE WHITE LABEL PROMO 12" '85 US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 19m
Steve Hillage - Fish Rising (1987) NEW SPEEDYPOST US $12.18 Buy It Now 10h 22m
COASTERS: She's A Yum Yum / Saturday Night Fish Fry (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $18.00 Buy It Now 10h 23m
JOHN LENNON: SHAVED FISH / CAPITOL RECORDS (SW-3421) NM Lp US $34.99 Buy It Now 10h 33m
Monkeys for Nothin, Reel Big Fish, Good US $3.98 Buy It Now 10h 34m
Underworld - Beaucoup Fish 1998 UK CD Techno, Tech House, Ambient #S04 US $2.79 Buy It Now 10h 35m
School of Fish : Human Cannonball CD (1993) US $3.90 Buy It Now 10h 38m
PETER ROWAN LP Flying Fish 071 from 1978 BLUEGRASS US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 42m
IRA SULLIVAN LP - 1978 FLYING FISH RECORDS FF-075 recorded in Chicago US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 42m
A Badoo Thang - A Badoo Thang - Fish01 - 2005 #151234 US $6.76 Buy It Now 10h 49m
SING ALONG WITH FREDDI FISH AND HER FRIENDS - BOOK & CASSETTE - NIB - 1996 US $14.95 Buy It Now 10h 55m
SING ALONG WITH FREDDI FISH AND HER FRIENDS - BOOK & CASSETTE - MIB - 1996 US $12.95 Buy It Now 10h 55m
Reel to Reel Tape QUADRAPHONIC Country Joe & The Fish Greatest Hits - 7Ż US $39.99 [0 bids]
CLASSIC ROCK Shine On CD 2006 NEW Compilation Album Wolverine Fish Progressive US $12.18 Buy It Now 10h 58m
Reel Big Fish - Best Of Us For The Rest Of Us [CD New] US $10.00 Buy It Now 11h 3m
Rumble Fish - Open The Safe [CD New] US $20.16 Buy It Now 11h 5m
Kristin Lems Born A Woman LP 1986 Flying Fish Stop Thief Trivial Pursuit US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 13m
Shays' Rebellion Daniel Shays Highway LP 1987 Flying Fish North By North US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 14m
Phish Round Room Brand New Sealed CD Jam Band Fish 2002 US $4.99 Buy It Now 11h 27m
cd-single, Scooter - How Much Is The Fish, 4 tracks US $7.45 Buy It Now 11h 30m
Fish MARILLION Crash Course an introduction SAMPLER PROMO UK made CD 2009 US $39.99 Buy It Now 11h 35m
COUNTRY JOE AND THE FISH TOGETHER vanguard 68 /1 UK Lp EX US $37.26 Buy It Now 11h 36m
Underworld Beaucoup Fish CD US $4.17 Buy It Now 11h 41m
Country Joe And The Fish/C.J. Fish/1970 Vanguard LP/Rare Sleeve US $74.56 Buy It Now 11h 43m
Have You Fed the Fish? by Badly Drawn Boy (CD, Nov-2002, XL... US $0.99 [0 bids]
EX/EX !! Country Joe And The Fish/Together/1968 Vanguard Stereo LP US $55.92 Buy It Now 11h 45m
Marillion FISH Lady Let it Lie w/ 3 RARE LIVE TRX CD single SEALED 1994 LIMITED US $24.99 Buy It Now 11h 51m
REEL BIG FISH The Set up RARE RADIO DJ PROMO CD single US $19.99 Buy It Now 11h 56m
RAINBOW FISH ~ AN AMAZING UNDERWATER ADVENTURE ~ BRAND NEW US $5.99 Buy It Now 12h 3m
Feel Like Rockin' by Mark Hummel BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED CD (1994, Flying Fish) US $14.57 Buy It Now 12h 8m
Badly Drawn Boy - Have You Fed The Fish.cd ex condition. US $10.17 Buy It Now 12h 9m
Joe Venuti Joe In Chicago, 1978 LP Flying Fish FF-077 1979 Vinyl US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 14m
MARILLION + FISH - "WELCOME TO THE VIDEOS" - DVD US $39.99 [0 bids]
Fish & Roses ?- We Are Happy To Serve You, Indi Rock LP US $3.99 [0 bids]
COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH i feel like i'm fixin to die LP rsd 2013 new SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 12h 27m
JIMMY WALKER and ERWIN HELFER- Blues & Boogie-Woogie ~ FLYING FISH 1 - VERY RARE US $22.99 Buy It Now 12h 27m
STEVE HILLAGE - FISH RISING - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $17.06 Buy It Now 12h 28m
NEW GRASS REVIVAL Fly Through The Country Flying Fish 016 FACTORY SEALED US $39.99 Buy It Now 12h 30m

More places to buy FISH music online Buy FISH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FISH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FISH Songs From The Mirror ratings distribution

FISH Songs From The Mirror reviews

Review by Hibou
3 stars This is not a prog album per se but a string of cover songs which FISH decided to make his own. Some of them turn out better than others but overall, I found quite a few that actually sound better than the original versions. At the very worst, they give you a different perspective on tunes you've long relegated to your old 'pop' days such as the MOODY BLUES "Question", PINK FLOYD's "Fearless", GENESIS' "I Know What I Like", MARC BOLAN's "Jeepster" and DAVID BOWIE'S "Five Years', to name the ones I prefer. Even if this could be deemed a pop album, the professionalism displayed on it is beyond reproach. You can also tell FISH is having fun, here. If you keep in mind that the man did not intend to make any profound intellectual statement with such an album, you'll be able to enjoy it for what it is. Thanks for the breath of fresh air, FISH.

Send comments to Hibou (BETA) | Report this review (#25063) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 29, 2004

Review by Gatot
2 stars This is the third studio album from Fish and the band and was the last deal with Polydor before he made a label of his own. As the album title, this represents cover version of other rock stars: J. Hayward of Moody Blues, Alex Harvey, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Argent, Marc Bolan, The Kinks, The Who, Bowie and Sandy Denny. It contains Fish' interpretation and appreciation of those rock stars of the 70s. It represents almost all genre: glam rock, classic rock, and progressive rock (was called as art rock). Honestly, I'm not familiar about the glam rock era until I watched a movie "VELVET GOLDMINE" that covered the period when glam rock was born with Bolan and Bowie as super stars at that period.

I don't recommend this album to most of you who never heard of Fish with Marillion or as solo artist. This album has nothing but appreciation of rockers. I only recommend this album for collectors / fans only unless you are in the stage of exploring Fish works (having observed his work with Marillion). Don't get me wrong with the rating because as a fan of Fish I like this album. Three reasons why I like this album: First, I love Fish' voice - even though his voice quality is not top class (as many of my friends say it so) but he has a strong character in his singing style; he can stimulate a positive energy with his voice. He even can sing with his heart as he appreciates the song writers of this album. I really enjoy his voice. His voice is not the same as Gabriel, but it's nice.

Second reason, I like almost all of songs featured in this album (except those from glam rock era that I'm not used to listen). "Hold Your Head Up" was my favorite when I was a childhood - it's a very energetic and uplifting track. "Boston Tea Party" is also nice song. Pink Floyd's "Fearless" was my favorite as well. What else? Of course Genesis's "I Know What I Like" who has been composed differently from original version. It's good for a change - it's much more disco style, but it's OK. Third reason, I like the overall performance of Fish and the band in this album; excellent! This includes the sonic quality of the CD produced - I can hear all details pretty clear in my ears. Great production!

Well, even though I love this album , but I don't recommend to all of you to have it instead. Why? It's for collectors / fans only. If you are a fan, this album is probably excellent for you. I leave it up to you to decide. Rating 2/5. GW, Indonesia.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#25064) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 30, 2004

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Party pieces

For reasons best know to himself, but on the face of it unabashed self indulgence, Fish decided to record an entire album of cover versions. The songs chosen are among his favourites, but that does not necessarily mean they are suitable for his style.

The opening track, "Question" was a hit single for the Moody Blues in the early 70's, also appearing on their "Question of balance" album. It's a wonderful song, which requires the melodic tones of Justin Hayward to work. Fish has a very distinctive vocal style. He can at times sing quieter passages with great delicacy, but his delivery on up-tempo songs is less melodic. Thus, while his performance on the middle section of "Question" is adequate, the faster sections at the start and end are poor.

The Sensational Alex Harvey band's "Boston Tea Party" is a more appropriate choice in terms of suitability, although even here, Fish does not offer anything other than a faithful cover of the original. Argent's "Hold your head up" also holds up better, the chorus becoming a multi-tracked chant. It lacks Rod Argent's excellent organ solo though.

Elsewhere "Fearless" (Pink Floyd) has a good guitar riff, but lacks the distinctive football crowd ending. Tracks such as "Jeepster" (T Rex), and "Five years" (Bowie) are reasonably faithful to the originals.

What we do get is the opportunity to hear Fish performing a Genesis song, and thus the chance to compare his delivery with that of Peter Gabriel. The choruses of "I know what I like" do find Fish sounding very Gabrielesque, probably deliberately.

One has to "question" the purpose of this release. The songs are all very familiar, the definitive versions of each being the originals. If anything, all the album goes to show is that Fish is not that great a singer. He's fine within the bounds of his own material, but here he sounds like a so-so night-club performer, the versions he presents on this album are little more than his party pieces.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#25065) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 07, 2005

Review by progrules
1 stars When Fish left Marillion in the late eighties and started a solo carreer you would think he had great plans for instance where the songwriting is concerned. His third album contains only covers. Need I say more ? This is very disappointing ! I don't like covers. It's usually poverty, a lack of inspiration in your own songwriting when you use covers. Especially in a genre (progrock) where compositions and writing your own songs are essential elements I think it's at least poor and actually unforgivable to do this. In fact it doesn't matter anymore to me if the covers are nicely done or whether Fish delivers a good performance or not. Maybe I'm too harsh here but I can only give this one star.

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#145209) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This is course a particular album in Fish's discography. Prog is not even next door. But that's what it was all about. To perform some great songs (but not all of them) from great artists (but not all of them are great IMO).

To start this review, I would think that one of the least probable song here is "Solo" from Sandy Denny. The great folk female vocalist who was backing Plant during "The Battle Of Evermore" (Led Zep, would you believe!). This interpretation is one of the good moments of this album.

During my mid teenage days, I was a fan from "The Sensational Alex Harvey Band" and even if "Boston Tea Party" is pretty well executed, it doesn't have the grandeur of "Faith Healer" of course. But most of these covers don't dig in the best repertoire of the artists featured (maybe a royalty issue?). "Fearless" (without You're Never Walk alone) from the Floyd being a wonderful example.

And even if the version of "Apeman" might sound funny (The Kings), it is far from being great. A typical "Press Next" T song. And the "Argent" cover does sound too much like a weak Collins one to be interesting.

With the last four songs, Fish is touching some other big, very big names (but remember, he already covered "The Kinks", and Floyd). As one could have expected, the "Genesis" cover won't be "The Musical Box" nor "Watcher" nor "Firth". Just their most commercial song (still great of course) : "I Know What I Like". His interpretation is good of course. Funny to hear Fish singing a Genesis number (but the closing part is quite difficult to bear).

In the early mid-seventies, I was quite in the glam rock fantasy; and T-Rex was of course a fave of mine. This version of "Jeepster" is probably not as good as the original but not too bad at all.

You might have understood for about fourteen months and some 1,400 reviews (although I do not relate too much of him here) that I have a special relation with this great man (?). Since I was fourteen. Yes, it all started in 1973. And it never stopped. This version of "Five Years" is a good one but the choirs are a bit too much. Not on par with the original IMHHO (you know the humble and honest affair, I guess). I just LOVE this song and I believe it is one (out of plenty) out of the greatest Bowie wrote.

A good closing number but if you sincerely listen to each song, there is little to write home about here. I am rating this album with three stars, not due to Fish's great interpretations, but more to some excellent original songs. And most of them are so closely related to band s I appreciated so much.

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#163398) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 07, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars Songs From The Mirror was Fish┬┤s third solo album and it seems to be released as such to fulfill his contract with Polydor. That may explains why he did an entire CD of covers so early in his solo career and not a so good one. The title is a reference to the songs he used to sing in front of the mirror as a youth, dreaming on becoming a rock star. However, the selection is hardly prog at all and also does not exactly fit his voice.

The tracklist is quite varied (covers of Bowie, T-Rex. Moody Blues, the Kinks and others, but he did not exactly chose the best from those either), the band is of course full of good musicians, and Fish, well, he is one of prog┬┤s best singers to appear on the scene since the early 80┬┤s. But Fish┬┤s talent lays much on his poetry and the way he sings his own stuff. As a covers singer he would stand very little chance: he lacks the vocal technique and training to really bring up something new to this repertoire. Besides, the whole record seems to be rush recorded and released. It is very short and the best version (The Who┬┤s The Seeker) is a bonus track. That tells it all, doesn┬┤t it? Even his interpretation of Genesis I Know What I Like sounds forced and unnatural. It looked like he did it just satisfy people┬┤s curiosity (after all those comparisons with Peter Gabriel when he was in Marillion)

As much as I love this guy and his work (with Marillion, solo and with others), this is one of the very few true disappointments I found in his discography. Sad to say, it is also the only of his CDs I ever got rid of. He may had his reasons to do it as he did. Still, it┬┤s too far removed from the quality stuff he recorded thus far to justify even a three star rating. This is for hardcore fans, collectors and completionists (which I┤m not). Two stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#290522) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 16, 2010

Review by lazland
1 stars I've put this on now in a pique of curiousity, for the first time in about ten years, with only two questions on my mind. Is it as awful as I remember it being when I first bought it? Is it still a one star album from one of my favourite artists of all time?

Regrettably, the answer to both of these questions is yes. If ever there was a contender for worse prog or prog related album of all time, then this is it. This was the last album Fish made for his then record label, and I've never been altogether sure whether a covers album of undoubted classics was his or the label's idea/fault in trying to resurrect some badly needed commercial success. It didn't work, and this album represented the true nadir of a great man's career, although, thankfully, he was able, later, to turn it all around and release some exceptional neo prog original work.

About the only credit I can give this album is that at least, in the main, he went for some of the more obscure titles from some of his favourite inspirations. Regrettably, he and his band murder each and every one of them, so much so that I haven't got the energy to review the tracks individually.

Utterly devoid of imagination, feelings, managing to make even Fearless (an exceptional Floyd track) sound like the sort of track the BBC used to put out on Sunday Night Light Programme for your great grandmother's delight, surely a feat in itself, there is not a kind word to say.

In fact, this review should be left at that. Avoid at all costs, even if you feel that you have to have all of his albums. It is not a true Fish LP. It must have been the work of an imposter.

Send comments to lazland (BETA) | Report this review (#340836) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 02, 2010

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
2 stars I didn't realise that it was an album of covers. When I saw it in a music shop I just bought it. Vigil was a good album and Internal Exile wasn't too bad. I wasn't very passionate for the new Marillion so I didn't read the song's titles.

When making covers an artist has two choices: stay as much as possible close to the original or change everything and make it a new song. I really like the reaggae version of Dark Side Of The Moon by "Easy Stars All-Stars" to make an example.

Unfortunately Fish remained in the middle: not too different and not too close. In a word: "useless", at least for the songs that I already knew.

There are some that I never heard before and of which I still don't know the original versions. They are: Boston Tea Party, Hold Your Head Up and Solo.

About "I know What I Like", I don't like the original, too.

The only highlight is Fearless. I like as it has been arranged and even if this version doesn't add anything to the original is the only very enjoyable song of the album.

This is nothing more than a fan's item. A curiosity, let me say.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#434426) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 16, 2011

2 stars It doesn't matter whatever reasons had been thrown in the ring to put out this album, they never justified it at all, it's nothing but a compromise that the artist needed to make for the record company he was so hugely in debt with since Polydor had bought him out of the EMI-contract. And it was ... (read more)

Report this review (#610441) | Posted by rupert | Sunday, January 15, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FISH "Songs From The Mirror"