THE 2ND LAW

8. Explorers (5:48)
9. Big Freeze (4:41)
10. Save Me (5:09)
11. Liquid State (3:03)
12. The 2nd Law: Unsustainable (3:48)
13. The 2nd Law: Isolated System (4:59)

Total time - 53:49

Search MUSE The 2nd Law lyrics

Search MUSE The 2nd Law tabs

Matthew Bellamy / Vocals, guitar, keyboards, piano, synthesiser
Chris Wolstenholme / Bass, backing vocals
Dominic Howard / Drums

Label: Helium-3

Thanks to Gallifrey for the addition

MUSE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MUSE The 2nd Law Music

Live At Rome Olympic Stadium (Blu-Ray/CD)Live At Rome Olympic Stadium (Blu-Ray/CD)
Warner Bros. 2013
Origin of SymmetryOrigin of Symmetry
Maverick 2005
ShowbizShowbiz
Maverick 1999
Muse: Hullabaloo Live at Le Zenith, ParisMuse: Hullabaloo Live at Le Zenith, Paris
Multiple Formats · Import
Mushroom Records 2006
DVD$18.49
H.A.A.R.P.: Live from Wembley (Region 2 DVD)H.A.A.R.P.: Live from Wembley (Region 2 DVD)
Warner Bros. 2008
Manic DepressionManic Depression
Multiple Formats
Mvd Visual 2005
DVD$5.94
Muse - Butterflies & Hurricanes - DVD Of Cd & DVD Set - 1006P US $31.34 Buy It Now 32m 3s
No Nukes Muse Concerts For a Non-Nuclear Future Stereo US $9.99 [0 bids]
36m 3s
MUSE - BLACK HOLES & REVELATIONS NEW CD US $15.99 Buy It Now 53m 50s
1979- NO NUKES-MUSE CONCERTS- MADISON SQUARE GARDEN - 8 TRACK- US $4.50 Buy It Now 56m 50s
MUSE**RESISTANCE**CD US $12.95 Buy It Now 1h
MUSE **BLACK HOLES & REVELATIONS**CD US $14.95 Buy It Now 1h 2m
MUSE // LIVE AT ITUNES FESTIVAL 2012 // CD+DVD US $11.49 [0 bids]
MUSE ORIGIN OF SYMMETRY / 2LP ORIGINAL EX+ CONDITION US $249.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
MUSE - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF 3A) US $17.61 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Muse - The 2nd Law (jewel-case) NEW CD US $17.01 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Muse - The 2nd Law (digi-pack) NEW CD US $17.01 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Muse - Black Holes & Revelations [CD New] US $6.49 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Muse - Live At Rome Olympic Stadium [CD New] US $19.28 Buy It Now 1h 52m
RICKY FORD Shorter Ideas LP MUSE MR-5314 *PROMO* JAZZ 1985 VG+ US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 4m
RICKY FORD Saxotic Stomp LP MUSE MR-5349 JAZZ 1988 NM US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Muse - New Born / Sunburn Remixes 12" (from Showbiz & Origin of Symmetry LP) VG+ US $17.91 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Fontain's Muse - Sacred Sacrifice - neo alt pop folk US $2.49 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Consciousness by Pat Martino (CD,1974, Muse (USA) Rare Cd ( L N ) US $30.00 [0 bids]
Fate Is Your Muse by Devil To Pay (CD, Apr-2013, Ripple Music) US $6.00 [0 bids]
BUDDY TATE Hard Blowin LP MUSE MR-5249 *PROMO* JAZZ/SWING 1984 VG+ US $13.00 Buy It Now 2h 57m
LOREENA MCKENNITT AN ANCIENT MUSE SEALED CD NEW US $5.94 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Seth Air by Wallace Roney (CD, Feb-1992, Muse (USA)) US $9.09 [0 bids]
BELL / SUBEN / MORAVIAN PO / DRURY / JORDAN WINDS - SENTIMENTAL MUSE NEW CD US $17.81 Buy It Now 3h 19m
New Portrait of a Rock Band Muse Poster US $10.04 Buy It Now 3h 21m
New Portrait of a Rock Band Muse Poster US $19.68 Buy It Now 3h 21m
SEALED NEW / PUBLIC ENEMY - MUSE SICK N HOUR MESS AGE 2X LP US $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Q - Essential Glastonbury(2004) Muse Radiohead David BOWIE The Cure Kinks REM cd US $6.42 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Jimmy Heath, Jimmy, 1979, Muse 5138, Kenny Barron, Mint-! Tootie Heath, Mtume US $7.50 [0 bids]
3 Rap CDs Public Enemy Black Planet Apocalypse strikes Muse sick Mess age US $8.00 [0 bids]
BIG JOE TURNER~ROOMFUL OF BLUES Blues Train ORIGINAL MUSE LP US $9.95 Buy It Now 4h 22m
H.A.A.R.P. Live from Wembley by Muse (CD, Mar-2008, 2 Discs, Warner Bros.) US $3.55 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Faith and the Muse ELYRIA CD original TESS Records issue US $9.00 Buy It Now 4h 52m
muse - new born cd single pias label dutch only US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 54m
CHERRY BOOP & THE SOUND MAKERS The Way I Am NEW MODERN SOUL CD (RAY MUSE/VIRADA) US $22.50 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Faith and the Muse Evidence of Heaven CD Gothic Folk Avant Garde Electronica Alt US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 15m
R.E.M. Red Hot Chili Peppers MEDLEYS PROMO CD w/ MUSE Linkin Park CHER Genesis US $39.99 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Camille Saint-Saëns: Cellokonzert Nr. 1; La muse et le počte; Violinkonzert Nr. US $10.97 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Muse, Hullabaloo, Soundtrack, 2 x cd album, 2002, Excellent Condition US $2.41 [0 bids]
Q Magazine Compilation CD 2002-2003, Ex. Cond. Foo Fighters, OK GO, Muse, etc US $3.00 [0 bids]
Devil To Pay - Fate Is Your Muse [Vinyl New] US $19.61 Buy It Now 5h 38m
MUSE The 2nd Law CD SEALED NEW US $20.98 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Muse - Resistance [Vinyl New] US $28.48 Buy It Now 5h 46m
MUSE - 2ND LAW NEW CD US $116.95 Buy It Now 5h 56m
James Spaulding - Brilliant Corners - Great NM LP on Muse label US $14.00 Buy It Now 6h 11m
Richie Cole - Cool "C" - Great E LP on Muse label US $8.00 Buy It Now 6h 11m
Louis Hayes-The Real Thing-Muse 5125-NICE US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 17m
MUSE - ORIGIN OF SYMMETRY NEW CD US $11.67 Buy It Now 6h 18m
NEW MUSE Black Holes and Revelations [Limited] (CD, Jul-2006, Warner Bros.) US $24.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
HOUSTON PERSON Suspicions LP Muse MR 5199 (1980) VG+ VAN GELDER US $4.79 Buy It Now 6h 28m
Muse Cave UK Promo only 5 Tracks Clear CD Single in Clear Slip Case 1999 US $79.99 Buy It Now 6h 34m
Muse Random 1-8 Japan only Planned Sealed New CD with OBI US $99.99 Buy It Now 6h 35m
Black Holes and Revelations by MUSE sealed vinyl US $17.99 [0 bids]
Kenny Burrell in New York Muse Records 12" LP 1981 VG vinyl fast ship US $26.79 Buy It Now 7h 18m
MUSE Absolution FULLY SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt CD Tickets 023 US $4.78 Buy It Now 7h 25m
MUSE Absolution FULLY SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt CD Tickets 023 US $6.82 Buy It Now 7h 25m
MUSE Absolution FULLY SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt CD Tickets 023 US $20.49 Buy It Now 7h 25m
PHIL WOODS Musique Du Bois LP Muse MR 5037 (1974) VG+ JAKI BYARD/ RICHARD DAVIS US $6.99 Buy It Now 7h 56m
MUSE The 2nd Law Tour 2013 SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt CD 024 US $5.61 Buy It Now 8h 22m
MUSE The 2nd Law Tour 2013 SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt CD 024 US $8.02 Buy It Now 8h 22m
MUSE The 2nd Law Tour 2013 SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt CD 024 US $24.11 Buy It Now 8h 22m
MUSE The 2nd Law Tour SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER CD Shirt TIckets 025 US $5.61 Buy It Now 8h 22m
MUSE The 2nd Law Tour SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER CD Shirt TIckets 025 US $8.02 Buy It Now 8h 22m
MUSE The 2nd Law Tour SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER CD Shirt TIckets 025 US $24.11 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Chick Corea Bliss! LP, Muse Records, Happy Bird, Muse Records B/90058, JAZZ 2000 US $14.77 Buy It Now 8h 40m
Muse - Hullabaloo Soundtrack 2008 [CD New] US $45.05 Buy It Now 8h 51m
An Ancient Muse by Loreena McKennitt (CD, Jan-2007, Quinlan Road) US $11.99 Buy It Now 8h 54m
Faith & The Muse - Burning Season [CD New] US $15.79 Buy It Now 8h 55m
GEORGE CABLES - MY MUSE * - NEW CD US $11.84 Buy It Now 8h 59m
EDDIE JEFFERSON "Things Are Getting Better" 1974 Orig Muse LP MR 5043 IN SHRINK US $24.99 Buy It Now 9h 49m
RUBBRA, EDMUND - EDMUND RUBBRA: THE SACRED MUSE - NEW CD US $16.52 Buy It Now 10h 18m
MUSE - RESISTANCE NEW CD US $15.99 Buy It Now 10h 24m
DOM UM ROMAO Muse 5013 Vinyl Lp 1974 US $11.98 Buy It Now 10h 27m
STEFANO RESTA & THE RHYTHM INVENTORS The Idea Of Muse 2004 SEALED CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 10h 34m
STRUNZ & FARAH Wild Muse 1998 CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 10h 51m
CD* Annwyn, Beneath the Waves - FAITH AND THE MUSE US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 58m
LOREENA MCKENNITT An Ancient Muse 2006 CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 10h 59m
EDDIE DANIELS / RVG / BRIEF ENCOUNTER: RARE PROMO: Muse MR 5154 White Label EX US $29.95 Buy It Now 11h 24m
Skyvin' Oasis Slipknot Muse Moby Kinobe Soulwax + CD US $4.82 Buy It Now 11h 24m
ELECTRIC MUSE PRESENT 5TH ANNIVERSARY / VARIOUS NEW CD US $27.54 Buy It Now 11h 37m
DAVE MATTHEWS BIG BAND: Night Flight LP MUSE RECORDS MR5098 US 1977 VG+ US $8.09 Buy It Now 11h 48m
Blue Muse by Kenny Burrell (CD, Jul-2003, Concord Jazz) US $5.90 Buy It Now 11h 54m
BROWNIE McGHEE & SONNY TERRY Hootin MUSE PROMO Blues LP NM. US $39.89 Buy It Now 11h 57m
MUSE - Pinbacks Badge Button Pin 25mm 1'' US $2.50 Buy It Now 12h
Walt Barr - Artful Dancer, Muse MR 5238, 1980, USA, white label promo, VG++/VG++ US $6.00 [0 bids]
Edmund Rubbra: The Sacred Muse, Elizabeth C. Patterson, Gloriae , Good Import US $5.51 Buy It Now 13h 30m
BUDY TATE AND MUSE ALL STARS live at sandy's LP VG+ MR 5198 Vinyl 1980 Record US $9.00 Buy It Now 15h 35m
Arizona Muse on Magazine Cover 2014 US $12.06 Buy It Now 16h 10m
Arizona Muse on Magazine Cover April 2012 US $12.06 Buy It Now 16h 11m
MUSE The resistance CD card sleeve art rock ffo queen US $3.20 [0 bids]
L. BELL - IDUMEA SYM SONG & DANCE/SENTIMENTAL MUSE [CD NEW] US $10.25 Buy It Now 16h 21m
Muse "The 2nd Law" Digipack CD, 2012.Good. US $3.20 [0 bids]
Los Camperos De Valles -- The Muse (CD Corason 124) US $3.00 [0 bids]
Divine Comedy - Victory For The Comic Muse CD US $16.61 Buy It Now 16h 54m
MUSE - ABSOLUTION NEW CD US $15.99 Buy It Now 17h

More places to buy MUSE music online Buy MUSE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MUSE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MUSE The 2nd Law ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(10%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(29%)

MUSE The 2nd Law reviews

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars Muse have excelled on their latest release "The 2nd Law" featuring some mind blowing songs that have a colossal epic sound with infectious melodies and powerhouse vocals. Bellamy is simply wonderful on this album, crystal clear emotive vocals that move into falsetto high register effortlessly. His guitar work is astonishing and on this release there is a symphonic quality that resonates in a cinematic soundscape. The concept of the album deals with a world in turmoil where its occupants are under constant surveillance and the threat of a police state domination looms as the government tightens its grip on a frightened populace.

The opening track 'Supremacy' is a stunning composition that has a very distinct James Bond musical foundation. It would work beautifully with the next Bond film "Skyfall". The guitars are heavy on the low end with an odd signature and the ending phrase is lifted directly from the James Bond school of thought.

This is followed by the hit single 'Madness' with a Dubstep techno repetitive figure and Bellamy solid on silky smooth vocals. The rhythm is measured and the melodic sound overall is reminiscent of a synthesized version of Queen.

Next is the blindingly brilliant 'Panic Station' that floored me on first listen and then grew on my like Osmosis. Wolstenhole's bass figure is funkadelic and the rhythm is at first akin to INXS' 'Suicide Blonde'. It is a danceable number with a profound funky groove that reminds me more and more of Stevie Wonder's retro classic 'Superstition'. In the mid-section is an ascending psychedelic sound that is joined by a phased guitar motif.

After this wonderful start 'Prelude' comes in which is a peaceful piano and strings instrumental with angelic choral intonations. It leads into 'Survival' that is the world famous 2012 Olympics theme, that I liked when hearing it during the opening ceremony. It loses some of its majesty here but is still endearing though bombastic with those choir sections. The guitar is tremendous with an old school style, almost like a parody of a western theme. The huge choir voice sections are a little too bombastic for my tastes. It is followed by 'Follow Me' with a nice clean synth sound and Bellamy's accomplished vocals that have a melancholy feel here. A catchy melody is driven by buzzing synth pulses and an atmosphere of grandeur.

'Animals' begins with electric piano and Howard's steady percussion. The vocals are laid back and echoed with gorgeous guitar licks. This song sounds like it may have been lifted from "Absolution" or "Origin of Symmetry" with that signature Muse sound, building gradually to the instrumental break. The guitar work is superb as always complimenting the bass and drums. It builds to a loud coda with angry voices, sounding like the recording of a riot, perhaps paying homage to the recent riots that have taken place in the UK.

A gentle keyboard is accompanied by very soft vocals on 'Explorers', "don't give in, we can walk through the fields, and fill in nature's glow, but all the land is old, there's none left for you or for me". The chorus is uplifting with the soul stirring lyrics sung so emotionally as Bellamy pleads, "free me from this world, I don't belong here, it was a mistake, a prison in my soul, can you free me, free me from this world". It sounds very much like Radiohead and I noticed Bellamy has lost a lot of his intakes of breaths between phrases that punctuated the earlier Muse albums. At the end of the song the song goes up a key for one more chorus and a lilting piano closes it off.

'Big Freeze' follows, with a 4/4 beat and some glorious lead guitar passages. The vocals are more forced on this song and it settles into a sustained string bend at the end which is effective. 'Save Me' is more serene with sanguine vocals sung beautifully by Wolstenholme with elongated phrases over a reverberated guitar sound. It breaks out into a syncopated faster tempo by Howard, and then an odd time signature locks in to drive it to its conclusion, accompanied by Bellamy's guitar arpeggios.

A heavier distorted riff crunches on 'Liquid State', one of the highlights on the album. It is refreshing to hear a chunk of metal guitar palm mutes after all the ambience and melancholy preceding. Wolsteholme has a more aggressive vocal style and the theme deals with the hard knocks of life, "kick me when I'm down, feed me poison, fill me till I drown." The chunky riffs grind throughout and really kick this along superbly.

The next song has fast violin serrations and epic atmospherics. 'The 2nd Law: Unsustainable' has a cinematic quality and some intriguing narratives about conserving energy and entropy. The next section is deliriously off kilter with a robotic voice and weird sonic guitar slides and electronic pitches. It comes out of nowhere as a distinct sound and then Bellamy joins in with intonations. This is followed by 'The 2nd Law: Isolated System' with piano chimes and angelic guitar sounds. It builds with violins and more narrative voice overs about finding a solution to the world's problems, namely the countdown to complete shutdown.

"The 2nd Law" album starts off brilliantly with 4 powerhouse songs and then afterwards tends to sound more pedestrian; catchy songs but nothing outstanding. The last 3 songs are excellent and bring it back to its masterful quality. This is certainly one of Muse's most innovative albums, though I am still more inclined towards their earlier material. The sound is more diverse and they take more risks on this, delving into a myriad of musical genres, from Dubstep to 80s techno, channelling Queen, Radiohead, and Coldplay, and implementing an incredible degree of experimentation. It is not a full blown progressive experience and most songs would fit comfortably onto an alternative radio playlist, but it delivers a sizeable impact and grows on the listener. None of the tracks are particularly lengthy or complex in structure, but I enjoyed it more than "The Resistance". In any case it is definitely well worth a listen and no doubt the Muse fanbase will be absolutely delighted with this excellent album.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#832241) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'The 2nd Law' - Muse (6/10)

Believe me, I wanted to hate this album. I really did. After having heard the teaser "Unsustainable" about a month back, I was left scratching my head, and certainly not because it was too abstract for my plebeian musical tastes to process. As far as the single was concerned, it sounded like Muse had dumbed down their symphonic edge to the point where I could expect a bib and apron to come along with it. Adding insult to injury, superfluous dubstep influences were rampant, offering the sonic equivalent of having my brain fried in a saucepan. Considering that the other two singles ("Madness" and "Survival") certainly weren't much better in the songwriting department, I was actually rather looking forward to writing what I only imagined would be one of my most negative reviews yet. Of course, as it turns out, I greatly overestimated the sort of emotion Muse's sixth album would conjure in me. "The 2nd Law" is by no means excellent, but Muse's outrageous approach to alternative rock is worth a certainly worth a spin, although the flash-over-substance dynamic suggests that it won't remain a hot topic for long.

Going back a little ways, Muse were a big band for me in high school. Before I had really opened myself to the 'modern' scene in progressive rock, Muse were there to offer a more streamlined experience, while still managing to bring that sense of bombast and arrangement. By the time "The Resistance" dropped and left me disappointed, I had already moved onto different things. "The 2nd Law" perpetuates some of the negative traits I saw in "The Resistance", but there is a greater sense of inventiveness to the music than there was in 2010. Muse are still defined by a somewhat contrived combination of symphonic music and angsty alternative rock, although I'd argue a lot of the depressive feeling in their music has been rather diminished. In its stead, vocalist Matt Bellamy splits his time between singing about personal topics and heavy-handed politik. As was even moreso the case with "The Resistance", Bellamy's political material is cheesy and ineffective, although his voice is as powerfully operatic as it's ever been.

Muse aren't necessarily expanding their boundaries on "The 2nd Law", although there's a surprising variety to the sounds and styles heard here. Barring the tired Queen-isms and shallow symphonic arrangements of the singles, Muse tend to incorporate these styles well. "Supremacy" sounds like it could either be a national anthem or soundtrack to the next James Bond film. "Panic Room" is the sort of dance-rock track I'd imagine gets played in trendier London clubs. "Follow Me" throws out all sense of rock, focusing instead on vocally- driven pop electronica, complete with the frustrating dubstep 'wub'. There are plenty of experiments that don't work, although there are a couple of gems here. The atmospheric "Animals" and the full fledged post-rocker "Save Me" are both excellent, and stand as being two of the greatest tracks Muse have ever done. Particuarly on "Animals", the classically- derived melodies do not feel forced in the slightest; they allow themselves to get a little wild and even proggy without the overwhelming pretense that usually comes along with it.

Bellamy described "Explorers" as a collaboration between Louis Armstrong and Meatloaf doing a post-metal track, and while I wouldn't say it quite matches the promise, it's an interesting enough 'ballad' track, highlighting Bellamy's vocal skills. Speaking of vocals, bassist Chris Wolstenholme offers his vocals on a couple of tracks, including "Save Me". Although he's certainly not as distinctive as Bellamy, his no-nonsense approach is refreshing, especially after the majority of the album has been spent digesting Matt's larger- than-life performance.

Much like "The Resistance", things wrap up with a multi-track suite. This time around, it's only a two-part composition, and in a sense, I believe it summarizes my opinions on the album. The first half ("Unsustainable") is a sour hodge-podge that feels like Muse were trying to force themselves to throw as much as they could into a short time, without the merit or skill to justify it. Although the follow-up and closer does not particularly wow me, it demonstrates that the band can exploit the rich sound of a string section properly. "The 2nd Law" feels like a progressive rock album catered to the whim of the masses. It is filled with surface complexity and surprises, and while these can be very enjoyable on the first few times around, there isn't the sort of depth that will likely have me coming back for more in the future. With each album, Muse have tried to outdo previous efforts in terms of bombast, and in this respect, "The 2nd Law" certainly succeeds. There's obviously been a fortune invested in it, but it's come to the point where the 'epic' quality is feeling more forced than ever. It's not without merit, and it's certainly better than I thought it would be, but this path Muse is taking with their music is, in a word, 'unsustainable.'

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#834803) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 08, 2012

Review by ProgShine
COLLABORATOR Errors & Omissions and Crossover Team
2 stars It's not sych a bad album, but.... it lacks absurdly in originality. Every single song remind me of some other band. And it becomes impossible to just listen as a Muse album, cause it looks a cover record.

It's not just influences, the songs actually are almost identical to other bands styles.

You have Led Zeppelin and Queen here, then U2 and Radiohead there. It's too much complicated.

Matthew Bellamy's vocals still great, but there's too much influence and too little Muse. And they can do better than that, unless they are aimming for big markets and bigger audiences, and that seems to be the case.

Send comments to ProgShine (BETA) | Report this review (#841185) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 20, 2012

Review by richardh
4 stars Absolution blew my socks off when I first heard it and The 2nd Law comes pretty darn close to doing the same.Although nowhere near as dense as that masterpeice, this work sees them exploring a variety of ideas and styles from Stevie Wonder r'n'b to Led Zep hard rock and of course Queen. As we all know they are big fans and are never short of a 'tribute' or two , the wonderfully pompous Survival being a prime example. My favourite track is undoubtedly the title track as split into two parts. The first part (Unsustainable) apparently draws strong influence from 'dubstep' (whatever that is) while the second part (Isolated System) is a beautifull chilled out sounding peice with a powerfull repeating electronic theme. Goosebumps all the way.

I do have some reservations about one or two tracks especially Panic Station. Could have been so good if the wonderfull brass section hadn't been mixed so low.Production wise at times its a bit too 'Americanised' for my taste but that said nothing ever drags and every time I listen to this album I am never bored. Its not prog rock in any traditional sense but its got barrel loads of energy and ideas. Good to have them back and NOT firing blanks!

Send comments to richardh (BETA) | Report this review (#845682) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 26, 2012

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars These days when I am reviewing albums, I often search the web to see what others are saying before I commit words to the page. I never change my opinion on the music, but sometimes I find some facts that may have been missing from the press release (if indeed there was one). So before starting on this one I of course went straight to www.progarchives.com and started to read the first review by AtomicCrimsonRush, where he stated that Bellamy's vocals on this album is just incredible, especially the way he moves to falsetto. 'That's exactly what I thought' I said to myself. Then he commented that opening song 'Supremacy' would have worked very well with the new James Bond movie. Well that answered one question for me, as I had again thought the same and was going to check to see if it did indeed make an appearance. Then he goes on to say that they come across as Queen and at that point I decided to stop reading any further so that I could actually write my review without feeling that I had copied someone else's in totality!!

Bellamy is at his absolute best here, of that there is no doubt, and the more I have played the album the more convinced I have become that Muse in 2012 are what Queen would sound like if they had started in the Nineties instead of the end of the Sixties. I haven't actually heard any of their albums since 'Absolution', which incredibly is 9 years ago now, so the change in their style over time is probably more obvious to me than those who have followed their career more closely. Although they do retain their harder roots, they are obviously a much more polished and refined band than they used to be and they aren't afraid to play whatever style they want, often switching inside the same song.

This is an album that screams 'class' from the highest rooftops, and all I can say is that the local boys have done good. There aren't exactly a plethora of bands from Devon, although Kirk Brandon attended the same school as me, and Wishbone Ash have always been seen as the local heroes (although they actually came together in London and only two of the four were from Torquay), but these Teignmouth lads have done the old county proud. There may not be as many crunching guitars as there used to be, although there is a nifty powerful digression in 'Survival' (which is highly influenced by Brian May). You won't have read it here first, but this album is a solid four stars in anybody's book.

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#875283) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 13, 2012

Review by Gatot
3 stars For practical reason I always rip my CDs right away after purchase to my iPod so that I can play it anytime I want. I sometime transfer them into a SD card and then insert it into my portable speaker to be mounted at my bicycle. One day when I rode my bicycle I was surprised with a track that sounded very rocking and I was not aware what that track was coming from - which band and which album? I thought it was something like Rush or any other hard rock bands like Audioslave or others maybe. I finally got to know when the second track was played as that was the kind of music I have been aware of: Muse! And well yeah ...the track that I was not familiar with was the opening track of 2nd Law album: Supremacy.

Yes, I have to admit that through this first track I almost don't recognize that this is Muse because it's so rocking and I really enjoy it. The way Bellamy sings is really wonderful and the song itself has a very good composition let alone the powerful meaning of the lyrics. I thought that Muse has changed music direction with this kind of rockin' opening track that finally becomes my favorite as well. The second track Madness represents the typical music of Muse. Panic Station is another good track with a straight forward composition. This album represents Muse existence in the tradition of British pop music with strong flavour of rock. The album has powerful message, lyric-wise. There are some orchestration like Prelude to open the next track Survival, as well as the one presented at the epic The 2nd Law: Unsustainable and Isolated System. I like these last two tracks that form like an epic, especially with some narration as well as the use of sound effects.

Overall, it's a very good album which I can enjoy from start to end. There are some progressive elements inserted in some segments in the album. It's a nicely-composed album. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#914211) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 15, 2013

Review by russellk
2 stars "MUSE will eat itself," my son predicted confidently in 2009 as we listened in mounting horror to 'The Resistance'. "And it will happen with their next album." Well, what do you know, he was right. Sadly.

BELLAMY's songwriting has always been key to this band, and on this album he appears to have mellowed into inevitable, if premature, middle-age. His songs are a little rotund around the middle, a little too comfortable, a little - pleasant. Any raunchiness is faked (I submit the execrable faux-funky 'Panic Station' as an example). The band is now institutionalised, a national treasure, as demonstrated by their invitation to write a song for the London Olympics - which produced the single worst song in the history of event-based music ('Survival'). I feel embarrassed just listening to it. And it gets its own prelude! Really. The schmaltzy ballads and fake concert hall piano twirls ('Explorers', I'm looking at you) are grating. Only at the end of the album does he bestir himself to produce something listenable - both parts of the title track are corkers for different reasons. Finally some sinew visible under the layers of fat, some beauty emerges from the confected landscape. Bonus: the tracks make an important point. Two tracks for the MUSE playlist.

Two other musicians play with him, though at times they're hard to spot. One of them gets to write and sing a couple of songs. Ah, band democracy. Well, they're better than some of the stinkers BELLAMY perpetrates on us.

I wish I had better news to report.

Send comments to russellk (BETA) | Report this review (#1284021) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 25, 2014

5 stars 9/10 New elements in an album that revisits sounds from the past and points new directions for the future of Muse. Somehow I knew I was going to like The 2nd Law, without even knowing why. And well, my impressions were correct. Where The Resistance was a difficult effort of appreciation, a ... (read more)

Report this review (#1022082) | Posted by voliveira | Thursday, August 22, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Muse formula to success is simple: a couple of songs for MTV, another couple for a soundtrack in a box office movie and that's it. The rest of the album is always excelent. I love the music in this album, maybe some of them are not that real prog but they are good songs indeed. The first track s ... (read more)

Report this review (#1011230) | Posted by Memo_anathemo | Monday, August 05, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I'm pleasantly surprised about how much I like this album. I heard people saying how awful it was, and I heard Unsustainable, which, believe me, is the low point on the album. Overall, the album is definitely more simplistic and electronic-based than their old stuff, but thankfully it's not all fa ... (read more)

Report this review (#849187) | Posted by Earendil | Friday, November 02, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I've only gotten into Muse within the last couple years, so I don't have the perspective of a longtime fan, but I'll try to put this album in context as much I can. This album is a departure from their usual work, but that is the nature of any prog rock band. Prog constantly evolves, for bette ... (read more)

Report this review (#836185) | Posted by A_pullmeunder_Z | Wednesday, October 10, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Muse are probably the most famous contemporary Rock band coming from United Kingdom and they have perfectly managed to walk the thin path between musical innovation and commercial success in the past. The trio continues to walk on this path with the new release "The 2nd Law". On one side, the qui ... (read more)

Report this review (#831468) | Posted by kluseba | Monday, October 01, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Well. I have had two days to suck this one in. Although, in that time it has gathered at least 10 plays, so I have safely formed an opinion. That opinion is that the great run of Muse was truly 2001-2009. Four 5 star albums in a row, I don't know many bands that have that, let alone popular al ... (read more)

Report this review (#829241) | Posted by Gallifrey | Thursday, September 27, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars While not a traditional "prog album". It has elements of progressive rock. It is a concept album pertaining to the world as it is. A practical police state. This album discusses the emotions of the people stuck in/dealing with this increased security and "big brother". It is a complete album in ... (read more)

Report this review (#829183) | Posted by PerpetualProphet | Wednesday, September 26, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MUSE "The 2nd Law"