SENNA

Mahogany Frog

Mahogany Frog Senna album cover

Buy MAHOGANY FROG Music
Studio Album, released in 2012

1. Houndstooth Part 1 (4:04)
2. Houndstooth Part 2 (5:29)
3. Expo '67 (5:04)
4. Flossing With Buddha (4:35)
5. Message From Uncle Stan: Grey Shirt (8:29)
6. Message from Uncle Stan: Green House (3:49)
7. Saffron Myst (4:02)
8. Aqua Love Ice Cream Delivery Service (7:46)

Search MAHOGANY FROG Senna lyrics

Search MAHOGANY FROG Senna tabs

- Graham Epp / electric guitars, MicroMoog, Farfisa Organ, Farf Muff, ARP String Ensemble, Korg MS2000, electric & acoustic pianos
- Jesse Warkentin / electric guitars, MicroMoog, Farfisa Organ, Farf Muff, ARP String Ensemble, Korg MS2000, electric & acoustic pianos
- Scott Ellenberger / electric & acoustic bass, Briscoe organ, percussion
- Andy Rudolph / drums, percussion & electronics

MoonJune Records
To be released September 18, 2012

Thanks to rushfan4 for the addition
and to progshine for the last updates

MAHOGANY FROG MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MAHOGANY FROG Senna Music

Senna by Mahogany FrogSenna by Mahogany Frog
Moonjune Records 2012

More places to buy MAHOGANY FROG music online Buy MAHOGANY FROG & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MAHOGANY FROG DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MAHOGANY FROG Senna ratings distribution

MAHOGANY FROG Senna reviews

Review by ProgShine
COLLABORATOR Errors & Omissions Team
5 stars I always receive the MoonJune Records new releases to review in my Website, I basically have all their catalogue. But I don't review all of them. Why? You may ask me. The answer is simple, most of the label's catalogue comes from Jazz Fusion side and I just can't stand this Genre. To my ears they'll always be instrumentists that learn how to play their instruments very well in the technical side, but can't write a good tune. These albums usually sounds like a band that enter in the studio and play whatever they want for a couple of hours and then edit 50 minutes of music. Not my cup of tea at all. Sometimes I choose not to review them because I don't want simply bash other peoples work, I don't do that. But I'm pretty sure most of their catalogue is high grade for the Jazz Fusion lovers.

Saying that, I could basically do the same with MAHOGANY FROG. But no, I'll not. Since their previous album, the great DO5 (1998) I was waiting for their next one, it was such a great album. This band isn't about the Jazz Fusion, they're about experimentations. But wait a bit, when I say experimentations I'm not talking about 60 minutes of noise with no sense, no melodies and no music, no I'm not. This guys from Canada know how to mix perfectly their instrumental music without being boring.

I'm talking about Progressive Rock, Experimental Rock and just enough Post-Rock to make it interesting. And they mix it all with melodies, even when the synths take over their music it's not just noise, is musical noise, and that my friends is what makes them interesting. For example, when the synth mimic a F1 car, to pay tribute to the great Ayrton Senna (which is obvious when you look to the name of the album).

Senna (2012) is not just a great example of how to be different and experiment in music, but it's also a great example of how to do experimental music and instrumental music with melody and interesting sounds/passages, even when electronic music comes in here and there they make it in a interesting way.

Unfortunatelly the album comes in a cheap and uninteresting Cardoard Sleeve in Gatefold format with little information about the content, but the music, oh the music. Worth, every second.

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team
4 stars After several dedicated listens through this album over the past few months I am finally ready to post a review of this highly acclaimed album from 2012. An instrumental album in the vein of OZRIC TENTACLES, HYPNOS69 and QUANTUM FANTAY with a little more emphasis and volume given to the drums and computer-generated sounds and keyboards and a little less emphasis on predictable melody and structure. (This is no jam band!) While I have enjoyed my listens, and have been entertained and engrossed in their sound (especially the computer keyboard work), and I do appreciate the passion coming from the drummer, it is doubtful that I will find myself returning to this album very often.

1. "Houndstooth, Part 1"?starts out sounding a bit like one of my favorite alubmartists, STEREOLAB's Dots and Loops before the organ is joined by some psychedelic fuzz guitar, computerized drum sounds and rhythms, and builds into what is obviously an instrumental. Kind of cool. (8/10) 2. "Houndstooth, Part 2"?keeps the 60s fuzz/treated guitar and bass sounds with live acoustic drums and some KRAFTWERK/OMD-like keyboard sounds all packaged into a kind of 60s psych pop or 80s bubble gum TONY BASIL-like sound and feel. Happy and psychedelic even a little bluesy. (7/10) 3. "Expo '67"?sounds like a new version of EDGAR WINTER's "Frankenstein" to me. Same instruments, same riffs, same structure. (7/10) 4. "Flossing with Buddha"?birds and church organ start out this one before it turns into a kind of Brit-pop song again straddling the late 60s and the bubble gum pop of the 80s. (Lulu, The Buckinghams, Adam Ant, Yaz, The The.) (7/10) 5. "Message from Uncle Stan Grey Shirt"?some of Mahogony Frog's intros, like this one, remind me of fellow Canadians, GODSPEED YOU! BLACK EMPEROR. Lots of chaos and cacophony?like an orchestra tuning before a concert. Uncle Stan (in the Grey Shirt) must be totally wasted cuz this song is all about chaos and really having a slow and tough time (being able to) getting it together. Finally, a kind of House of the Rising Sun meets Pomp and Circumstance pulls itself up out of the dross and then morphs into a "This Is The Doors" cover band intro for the final two minutes. Interesting. And psychedelic. (7/10) 6. "Messsage from Uncle Stan Green House"?starts out with a rather striking JAGA JAZZIST sound to it. Indecipherable babel of voices accompanies the music for a little while until it all descends into a slowed down, heavily sound-effects-accompanied heroine trip. Ends on a structured note. (6/10) 7. "Saffron Myst"?is a melodic, almost laid-back tune with synths/organ featured. Again, I am reminded of STEREOLAB and especially Dots and Loops. (8/10) 8. "Aqua Love Ice Cream Delivery Service"?carries over the synth trails from "Saffron Myst" while turning them into virulent crazy with a Todd Rundgren-like organ wash beneath to keep them all tied together. The guitar's entry at 2:35 is wonderful and continues to build within the tornadic frenzy of the other crazed musicians. Again, I am reminded of some of TODD's more adventurous experimentations with sound and noises in his early 1970s solo works. I even half expected it to end with the baton taps and Todd's voice saying, "No! No! No! A little more humanity, please!" as he does at the end of "The Spark of Life." But, no! The song quiets down, goes cyber-space crazy before a harpsichord enters to "restore" order?and fadeout the album! (8/10)

A highly creative album laced with psychedelia reminiscent of all of the past four decades' technological and sound advances. This is not an album I will come back to as often as the above cited space/psychedelic artists because of a certain lack of, well, melody. But I will revisit it for the smiles and curiosities it generates.

3.5 stars rated up for creativity, uniquity and courage.

Review by kev rowland
5 stars More and more I seem to be coming across albums that appear to have more sonic connection with my teenage years than the current day, but as that isn't an issue all I can say is "bring it on!" This is Senna's sixth album, but somehow is a band that I have managed to miss altogether but I see that I am going to have to rectify the omissions. The four-piece comprise Graham Epp (electric guitars, MicroMoog, Farfisa Organ, Farf Muff, ARP String Ensemble, Korg MS2000, electric & acoustic pianos), Jesse Warkentin (electric guitars, MicroMoog, Farfisa Organ, Farf Muff, ARP String Ensemble, Korg MS2000, electric & acoustic pianos), Scott Ellenberger (electric & acoustic bass, Briscoe organ, percussion) and Andy Rudolph (drums, percussion & electronics) yet are a far more in your face rock band than you may imagine from the impressive list of keyboards.

This is progressive rock mixed with krautrock mixed with post rock mixed with jazz, all thrown into a melting pot and allowed to brew and take on a life all of it's own. Imagine Can playing with Tortoise with Soft Machine on the sidelines while someone decides to thrown in some filthy guitar riffs to tie it all together. This is early Seventies sweat and long hair combined certain drugs and the music being played at incredibly high volumes. They combine to provide tight melodies and controlled chaos while at others there seems to be no control at all and they ride the thick basslines a la Chris Squire until it all starts to make sense again. This is not music to be gently listened to on headphones, but to be played at parties where alcohol is in abundance and everyone is having the time of their lives. I mean, there are times it sounds as if Dik Mik is playing with his audio generator.

Filthy, rough and raw, this is great. www.moonjune.com

Review by Warthur
5 stars This little stunner of an album finds Mahogany Frog reeling deliriously between modern-age electronic dance-influenced krautrock explosions, space rock anchored to earth by way of jazz fusion, symphonic postrock mini-epics and other bizarre genre mashups, producing a melange which seeks out the common ground between tripped-out underground artists of the 1970s and today's cutting edge. Soft Machine comparisons are tempting due to the band's association with MoonJune records, but if I had to relate this to any phase of the Soft's career I'd link it to the second album - the point where the Softs had a perfect balance between what was then the cutting edge of psych and their jazz fusion innovations, and Senna is a similarly modern-sounding album.

Post a review of MAHOGANY FROG "Senna"