OUT OF OUR HANDS

Good, but non-essential

Buy FLASH Music
Studio Album, released in 1973

1. Open Sky (0:40)
2. None The Wiser (King) (3:17)
3. Farewell Number One (Pawn) (1:37)
4. Man Of Honour (Knight) (4:45)
5. Dead Ahead (Queen) (4:38)
6. The Bishop (4:21)
7. Psychosync (Escape) (4:50)
8. Manhattan Morning (Christmas '72) (6:24)
9. Shadows (It's You) (3:20)

Search FLASH Out Of Our Hands lyrics

Search FLASH Out Of Our Hands tabs

- Peter Banks / guitars, Moog & Arp synths, banjo, backing vocals
- Ray Bennett / bass, piano, clavinet, Mellotron, Arp synth, accoustic guitar, banjo, backing vocals
- Colin Carter / lead vocals
- Micheal Hough / drums, congas, tablas

Lp. Capitol SMAS 11218 (1973) / Cd. One Way / Sovereign 21 17414 (1994)

and to Snow Dog for the last updates

FLASH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FLASH Out Of Our Hands Music

Out Of Our HandsOut Of Our Hands
Esoteric Recordings
Janet Jackson Justin Timberlake BOOB Flash Poster US $5.03 Buy It Now 46m 29s
Flash And The Pan - Pan Orama US $5.99 Buy It Now 52m 57s
Pasta Boys - Flash Flood / My Foombology - 2005 #155663 US $8.39 Buy It Now 1h 2m
GRANDMASTER FLASH The Message 12" NEW VINYL Sugar Hill US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Grandmaster Flash 12" Single U Know What Time It Is/Bus Dis(Wooo)Elektra Records US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 42m
FLASH GORDON Inter-Planetary Adventures FACTORY SEALED LP Golden Age 5007 '77 US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
PURPLE FLASH: We Can Make It / Instro 12 rare Soul US $40.00 Buy It Now 2h 35m
FIDDLERS DRAM, DAY TRIP TO BANGOR / THE FLASH LAD. ORIGINAL 1979 SINGLE US $1.66 [0 bids]
8 OLD SCHOOL RAP LP'S---WHODINI+ BOOGIE BOYS+ U.T.F.O.+ GRANDMASTER FLASH US $49.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Flash - Out Of Our Hands (CD NEW ) US $21.83 Buy It Now 3h
Saffire:The Uppity Blues Women - Hot Flash (NEW CD) US $20.57 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Various Artists , Audio CD, Flash of 29 US $18.66 Buy It Now 3h 29m
flash and the pan - waiting for a train - 7" vinyl single US $11.75 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Flash Fearless,Versus The Zorg Women,Alice Cooper,Jim Dandy,John Entwistle,Keith US $23.99 [0 bids]
The Bridge [PA] * by Grandmaster Flash (CD, Mar-2009, Strut) US $1.79 Buy It Now 3h 42m
ELVIS PRESLEY Beginnings 1955 Interview MEMPHIS FLASH 45 7" RARE US LISTEN US $9.98 Buy It Now 3h 55m
GRANDMASTER FLASH - SIGN OF THE TIMES 12" VINYL E9677T HIP HOP US $10.91 Buy It Now 3h 59m
DJ Tracy Young,CD,White Party 2003: Flash Back - Fast Forward US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 6m
Tom Jones 45 Daughter Of Darkness / Tupelo Mississippi Flash US $2.00 Buy It Now 4h 56m
The Jayhawks - 45 rpm record - Stranded In The Jungle - Flash 109 - 1956 US $4.99 [0 bids]
(DL225) Flash Fiktion, Starry Glow / Dove / Artificial Colours - 2012 DJ CD US $5.03 Buy It Now 5h 27m
FLASH BAT Laud Baud CD Techno 2007 MINT US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 30m
45 ARETHA FRANKLIN "JUMPIN JACK FLASH" W/ PICTURE SLEEVE US $3.60 Buy It Now 5h 34m
Flash Dance- The Original Soundtrack US $8.00 Buy It Now 5h 36m
GRANDMASTER FLASH "THE BRIDGE" 2009 CD SEALED! SNOOP DOGG Q-TIP BUSTA RHYMES BIG US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 36m
GRANDMASTER FLASH: On The Strength (rap/hip-hop vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 46m
GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS FIVE: On the Strenght LP ELEKTRA US 1988 NM US $17.99 Buy It Now 5h 48m
vtg 12" LP record FLASH GORDON Inter-Planetary Adventures radio broadcast (1977) US $6.99 [0 bids]
BADGER "ONE LIVE BADGER" UK PROG YES NEKTAR FLASH TONY KAYE 1973 GERMAN IMPORT US $9.99 [0 bids]
(AL186) Calvin Harris, Flash Back - DJ CD US $5.03 Buy It Now 6h 43m
Queen ?- Flash Gordon (Original Soundtrack Music) Lp Colombia US $40.00 Buy It Now 6h 50m
2012 QUEEN FLASH GORDON JAPAN SHM SACD SA CD US $52.80 Buy It Now 6h 54m
JEFF BECK: Flash LP EPIC RECORDS FE39483 US 1985 PROMO NM US $12.59 Buy It Now 7h 7m
Flash [VINYL] Dena Vinyl US $35.27 Buy It Now 8h 4m
Rock Promo 45 FLASH CADILLAC & THE CONTINENTAL KIDS Good Times, Rock & Roll on P US $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 11m
QUARTER FLASH ~ 33 RPM VINYL LP GLOSSY US $7.99 Buy It Now 8h 11m
BAEK Z YOUNG, a korean woman singer's DRAMA O.S.T BEST(flash back) autograph CD US $15.40 [0 bids]
1968 THE ROLLING STONES "JUMPIN' JACK FLASH" 45 7" US $13.99 Buy It Now 8h 22m
A Flash in the Night Smile Vinyl LP US $15.26 Buy It Now 8h 42m
Flash Dena Vinyl LP US $25.98 Buy It Now 8h 42m
ENTER SHIKARI-A FLASH FLOOD OF COLOUR-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK D95 US $24.50 Buy It Now 8h 51m
Empire / Peter Banks - Mark III CD One Way Records prog Sydney Foxx ex Flash Yes US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 23m
THE ROLLING STONES 45 JUMPING JACK FLASH LONDON RECORDS 11/13 KEITH RICHARDS US $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 31m
DAILY FLASH 7" EP Collection Ron Records M1041 1980 US NM- US $13.59 Buy It Now 10h 5m
Flash Gordon Set 1-Old Time Radio-27 episodes on 6 REAL CDs not MP3,plastic case US $9.95 Buy It Now 10h 5m
FLASH CADILLAC AndThe Continental KidsTHERE'S NO FACE LIKE CHROME US $3.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN Flash Gordon MEXICO ORG LP Spanish Titles SEALED US $50.00 Buy It Now 10h 44m
"Quarter Flash" Quarter Flash (LP, 1981, Geffen Records) US $5.99 [0 bids]
"Out of Our Hands", by Flash (CD, Aug-1993, One Way Records) US $5.50 [3 bids]
FLASH Vinyl Record US $2.99 [0 bids]
11h
Flash Out Of Our Hands JAPAN CD MINI LP SLEEVE NEW US $29.99 Buy It Now 11h 6m
FLASH & THE PAN Midnight Man 1984 AUS PS 45 Easybeats US $13.55 Buy It Now 11h 16m
QUEEN-FLASH GORDON-JAPAN SHM-SACD LTD K25 US $49.99 Buy It Now 11h 19m
FLASH/selftitled/1972 lp US $12.99 Buy It Now 11h 33m
SUGARHILL Old School RAP Grand Master FLASH 1982 THE MESSAGE Original Sleeve US US $15.00 [0 bids]
FLASH BASTARD 1991 'THIS MEANS WAR' RARE U.S. HARDCORE PUNK 7" YELLOW VINYL US $10.49 Buy It Now 11h 54m
11 Grandmaster Flash Furious Five Melle Mel LP/12" Old School Hip Hop Sugar Hill US $32.95 Buy It Now 12h 3m
ROD STEWART-FLASH-JAPAN BLU-SPEC CD F25 US $28.99 Buy It Now 12h 17m
Sugar Hill set of 3 12" singles Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, GF Furious5 US $15.00 [0 bids]
SOUNDTRACK JUMPIN JACK FLASH WHOOPI GOLDBERG LP 652 US $8.99 Buy It Now 12h 24m
TIM MOORE Flash Forward LP Elektra 60463-1 vinyl record album (1985) US $5.99 Buy It Now 12h 47m
FLASH CADILLAC AND THE CONTINENTAL KIDS SONS OF THE BEACHES LP 495 US $8.99 Buy It Now 13h 5m
TOM VERLAINE FLASH LIGHT AUSTRALIAN CASSETTE TAPE TELEVISION US $14.01 Buy It Now 13h 30m
THE ENTERTAINERS Love Me For Me (Short/Long/Instro) 12" Flash FL2545 SEALED US $4.99 Buy It Now 13h 44m
JUMPIN JACK FLASH - MOVIE SOUNDTRACK - NEAR MINT MERCURY RECORD 1986 US $6.00 Buy It Now 14h 16m
V/A Compost One Hundred 4x LP NEW VINYL Compost Truby Trio Fauna Flash Minus 8 US $21.99 Buy It Now 14h 17m
V/A BIG BAND LATIN FLASH EP PS JAPAN MALAGUENA,CHIVIRICO L398 US $8.00 Buy It Now 15h 19m
QUEEN FLASH GORDON RARE ISRAELI PRESS SOUNDTRACK LP US $29.99 Buy It Now 15h 21m
QUEEN FLASH GORDON JAPAN CD MINI LP US $34.99 Buy It Now 15h 50m
FLASH AND THE PAN-LIGHTS IN THE NIGHT-JAPAN MINI LP CD BONUS TRACK Fi83 US $39.99 Buy It Now 16h 6m
Los Calchakis - Flash Back CD US $13.80 Buy It Now 16h 28m
Bridge - Grandmaster Flash (2009, Vinyl New) US $19.33 Buy It Now 16h 44m
Flash Dena CD US $10.66 Buy It Now 17h 7m
Rolling Stone Flash Wilks CD US $14.18 Buy It Now 17h 8m
NEW BAP WARRIOR Limited Edition (CD + premium Flash RING) Japan ver. Maxi Single US $50.00 Buy It Now 17h 20m
Lady Flash - Street Singin' 7" 1976 Ex RSO 2090 199 US $6.71 Buy It Now 17h 50m
My Sanctity High Pressure Flash CD US $11.10 Buy It Now 17h 55m
FLASH AND THE PAN-S/T-JAPAN MINI LP CD BONUS TRACK Fi83 US $39.99 Buy It Now 18h 6m
Grandmaster Flash - Bridge [Vinyl New] US $19.97 Buy It Now 18h 15m
Queen Flash Gordon Soundtrack 1st 1980 1A Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED, Rare! US $20.16 Buy It Now 18h 57m
Flash Cadillac & Continental Kids 1977 6 x 4 Press Photo US $11.77 Buy It Now 19h 49m
Flash & The Pan - Headlines [CD New] US $26.10 Buy It Now 20h 25m
Saffire The Uppity Blues - Hot Flash (1991) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 21h 6m
Grandmaster Flash Behind Closed Doorss Us Dj 12" US $8.99 Buy It Now 21h 9m
David Bowie Fridge Magnet "Flash Logo" 100% Official New US $6.64 Buy It Now 21h 11m
QUEEN ~ FLASH GORDON SOUNDTRACK LP **** SEALED*** US $8.99 [0 bids]
45 PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY, NO RECORD, ARETHA FRANKLIN, JUMPIN' JACK FLASH US $3.60 Buy It Now 22h 28m
FLASH AND THE PAN and the band played on 7" CS EX/EX US $11.75 Buy It Now 22h 45m
FLASH CADILLAC & CONTINENTAL KIDS see my baby jive 7" US $11.75 Buy It Now 22h 45m
THE FLASH FEVER - FLASH FEVER - STONER / PROG ROCK - NEW US $35.28 Buy It Now 22h 47m
Gus Jenkins R & B INSTRO 45 (Flash 128) Road Runner/Hit The Road US $6.95 Buy It Now 22h 48m
Flash Golden - Farmatech EP 12" US $14.29 Buy It Now 22h 51m
Pink Floyd Dogs and Sheeps 2CD Flash 01.93.0197 US $50.00 Buy It Now 23h 4m
FLASH - IN THE CAN ISRAELI PRESS LP SEXY NUDE COVER YES US $39.99 Buy It Now 23h 30m
FLASH IN PUBLIC -with Peter Banks NEW LIMITED EDITION US $12.99 Buy It Now 23h 55m
LADY FLASH "HYPNOTIZIN / STREET SINGIN" RARE RSO 852 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Grandmaster Flash Alternate Groove 12'' promo Record US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JEFF BECK - FLASH (LP 1985,EPIC PE39483) US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Flash And The Pan AYLA Best Of 19 Track Collection REPERTOIRE New Sealed CD US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FLASH & THE PAN - HEADLINES (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $27.33 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy FLASH music online Buy FLASH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FLASH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FLASH Out Of Our Hands ratings distribution

FLASH Out Of Our Hands reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Third and last strike for Flash, and yet again a sexist (dildos and tits growing out knuckles in front of a peeping eye) artwork, this time in a gatefold sleeve, but this was definitely not enough for this out-of-steam Yes clone. Unchanged line-up, and a fairly different soundscape and much shorter tracks, the longest by far being 6-mins+. What's fairly different about OOOH is the return of keyboards after the almost kb-empty ITC album. But these are in the hands of Banks (who'd shown us he was limited on the ARP synth) and mainly Bennett, with piano and a bit of (discreet) mellotron. The other thing that strikes is that most of the Yes-influenced are almost gone, but it doesn't make the proghead anymore at ease, though, because we are in a proto-AOR with Yes prog touches. Bennett is again the more prolific writer (5.5 of 9) with Carter

Most of the tracks hover in the radio-friendly format, but apparently failed in their mission, and I can easily see why: may be too complex for being a "hit", but also that certain originality that eludes them as well and Carter's voice being borderline irritating in the long run. Actually, despite the AOR sound, this album is no less prog than its two predecessors, the proggiest being the four-part Yes-ian Psychosync track, answering the Farewell Number One tidbit on the other side of the vinyl. Also noteworthy is the album-lengthiest Manhattan Morning, a sometimes interesting mid-section, where the Tron is very discreet and Banks' guitar finally seems to find its own sound. Somehow Flash had a lot more legitimacy (because of their origins) at being Yes clones or sound-alikes than bands like Druid or Starcastle or Flame Dream, but by the start of their third album, they has the merit to realize it wouldn't lead them anywhere. Rather different than s/t and ITC, OOOH is no worse than they are, and might even have a tad more merit.

I am a normal heterosexual pervert like most the males in developed western countries, but I do think that Flash covers are tacky, tasteless and sexist but then again maybe the decision to use these was to hide the fact that their music was not that good. All three Flash albums received a recent Cd re-issue on the wonderful Esoteric label, to replace the out-of-print One Way Record reissue dating from the mid-90's. Despite being much less derivative, many proghead look down at this album

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#25294) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Review by daveconn
4 stars What do chess and an interstellar messenger of peace have in common? Nothing, I'd venture, but it didn't stop Ray Bennett from laboring on this stellar concept album all the same. Like any FLASH album, the comparisons to early YES are invited and no doubt appreciated. There are plenty of moments here that'll transport you to strange new places, provided you're willing to put in the same amount of effort you did on "Tales of Topographic Oceans".

Bennett and Peter Banks in particular connect on some passages that click as well as Chris Squire and Steve Howe. It occurs to me when I listen to "Out of Our Hands" that this might be the lost YES album I've been looking for. Certainly it's closer to the mark than Steve Howe's Beginnings, In The Can or Two Sides of Peter Banks. Almost every song on here has some redeeming moment of magic, from the opening of "The Bishop" (which prefigures Gang of Four by at least a few years) to the tripping guitar lines on "Dead Ahead". Maybe I've grown used to Colin Carter's voice by now but he does seem better suited to the music this time, suggesting Jon Anderson's voice with clipped wings. Where Anderson soared, Carter is entrenched, holding steadfast in the midst of Banks' acrobatic leads and Bennett's bold bass lines.

The result is a style that produces some fine moments, including "Man of Honour", "Shadows" and delightful "Psychosync". As busy as Bennett is with writing most of the material and playing bass, his keyboard contributions are cursory, which results in some missing music. If sections feel like they need to be fleshed out on occasion, it's to be expected with FLASH. Their purpose was never to replace YES, but rather to build something different from the same foundation. Sadly, "Out of Our Hands" was their last album, and another avenue to nirvana was closed. This record (and, in fact the entire FLASH catalog) are well worth rediscovery -- the Dead Sea Scrolls of the Yesstory, in a manner of speaking.

Send comments to daveconn (BETA) | Report this review (#25295) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 17, 2004

Review by hdfisch
3 stars I was very lucky to find this gem on vinyl for not more than one swiss Franc and I'm very happy about it. Of course FLASH can't be compared in quality with YES, if at all maybe with the style they did with their very first line-up. Actually I really like their debut album when Peter Banks was still on board, although many people consider this one as a non-essential one. What we get here is quite similar to that style and not only Colin Carter's rather high-pitched vocals but as well the very good guitar and bass playing has some resemblances. The music is certainly much less complex than on masterpieces like "Close to the edge" or "Relayer", but nevertheless there are great songs on this album like "The Bishop", "None The Wiser", "Man Of Honour" , "Psychosync" and "Shadows". I listened to all their albums and although I like them all I'd say this one here is the best and maybe the only one I could recommend. Moreover even the artwork is here of better quality than on their others which had a quite simple and some kind of seducing cover "art". But anyway usually I don't judge records by their visual appearance. Really an enjoyable listen and I would give this one 3,5 stars actually!

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#25296) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 24, 2005

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Out of our bands

I own this third album by Flash as part of a two-albums-on-one-CD together with the self-titled debut album. It is quite strange that the first and the third album are released together like this, while passing over the second album. The second album seems to be harder to find now, and I have not heard that one yet (but I do intend to soon).

This third album is similar in style to the debut. The differences are that this album is a bit more guitar-oriented and has shorter tracks. I enjoy both albums. The songs are melodic and feature good guitar work, good bass guitar, good vocals and good drums as well as some keyboards (even if Tony Kaye was no longer with them at this time). The guitar sound is often similar to that of Steve Howe and the bass guitar sound is similar to that of Chris Squire but certainly not as distinctive as these players. The sound of Flash is a bit anonymous compared to the likes of Yes, (but then again most bands are!) They seem to lack a strong musical identity of their own.

The lead vocals are not similar to those of Jon Anderson. The harmony vocals on the other hand are sometimes a bit Yes-like. There is nothing wrong with the lead vocals, but they do not stand out - they are not really distinctive or unique, but rather anonymous.

Judged as a successor to Flash's debut album and compared to the two first Yes albums, Out Of Our Hands holds up quite well. But while Yes continued to evolve with each subsequent album, Flash seems to have been stuck somewhere between Time And A Word and The Yes Album. In comparison with The Yes Album, Fragile and Close To The Edge, this falls very far behind. Still, I would say that Flash holds up pretty well in the extended Yes family-tree among band like The Syn, Badger, Asia, GTR, ABWH, Conspiracy, etc.

If Peter Banks had stayed in Yes and Steve Howe had never joined, Flash gives us a very good idea of what Yes might have sounded like. It is good but not essential Prog. This album is recommended for Yes fans and fans of early Symphonic Prog.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#211100) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 12, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars With nine songs in just over thirty minutes, this is hardly what you would expect for a prog album. But at least they started getting away, at least a little bit, from that early Yes sound. The songs are all strung together, so when listening, it has the feel of listening to an epic, athough they are all distinctly different songs.

Bassist and keyboardist Ray Bennett moves forward on this album. He is the composer of most of the songs on this album, and his bass pushes the entire album. The songs are definitely all progressive, in that early seventies style. But at only a half an hour, this album ends much too soon.

It's too bad they broke up after this one.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#245722) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 22, 2009

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Third album from 1973 named Out of our hands is the weakest one from the 3, somehow this album sounds like the band lost intrest in composing progressive rock music. Anyway not a bad album, some moments are realy good, but now the pieces are no more such long like on previous albums, all piece are under 6 min, the music keeping in places the Flash sound, but are less intristing and are no more that catchy. Still a good album to me, nothing realy impressive, but I know hundreds of prog rock albums that sounds less intristing then this album. 3 stars for sure less intristing then first one who I rated aswell with 3 stars. After this album the band disbanded and they fall into oblivion one way or another. Still a band to discover if you are a prog rock fan of the '70's .

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#265158) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars I guess everybody expected too much from anything Yes-related at the time. So Peter Banks group had a kind of very demanding audience from day one. And I remember the group being more famous for the covers of the albums than for the music they produced. It was unfair, of course. For my part, I never heard Out Of Our Hands at the time of its release (I was 16, and it was the 70īs, so I had already too many interesting things to listen to). So I decided to give it a shot lately, after a friend brought up the subject of the group in a conversation. He kindly borrowed me the CD and I must say I was not initially impressed. However, with each spin I started to like it more and more. In the end I was enjoying it very much.

Their music is like a kind of very early Yes with a very different singer and without the keyboards. Ok, a few mellotron and synth lines can be found here and there, but nothing like any other symphonic prog band at the period. This is a concept album, but its running time is very short (only 33 minutes). And I must say that Banks guitar parts are really excellent, along with Ray Bernnetīs terrific bass runs (again, very Yes-ish, but they sound natural, not forced at all). So the guitar and bass playing are the highlghts of the entire CD. Colin Carterīs vocals are VERY diffeerent for the style, but once you get used to it, it works. The songwriting is not exceptional, but good and solid all the way. The tracks are varied and there are no fillers. The production is excelent for the time. You can hear everything very well balanced. The best song for me is Psychosync, an impressive tune.

Conclusion: a very nice record indeed. If youīre a fan of guitar and bass-led prog, go for it! Too bad the band broke up after this record, for they had enough talent to grow much more. Overall I wouldnīt say itīs essential, but Out Of Our Hands will please a lot of progheads, specially the fans of Yes. At the very least they sound way more honest than dozens of that groupīs imitators. So, a fair rating would be 3.5 stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#767269) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 08, 2012

Review by stefro
3 stars The last and possibly the least of Flash's trio of albums(all of which where released in 1972) 'Out Of Our Hands' should nonetheless still satisfy those with a more than just a passing fondness for both 'Flash' and 'In The Can'. With the same line-up from both previous efforts still in place - guitarist-and-leader Peter Banks augmented by drummer Mike Hough, bassist Ray Bennett and vocalist Colin Carter - there is a nice sense of continuation about 'Out Of Our Hands', yet conversely this is also the album where Flash tried, with mixed results, to expand their sound beyond the metallic-prog framework that worked so well on both previous efforts. So, as a result, there are no ten-minute epics to be found here, the individual tracks feature a slightly more experimental texture, and Banks infamous guitar licks seem to have been muted by the group leader's own desire to seemingly mellow the overall Flash experience and thus push the group out of the looming shadow of Yes, the group that so unceremoniously sacked him after just two albums. There is also a kind of 'Chess' theme, though exactly why is never really made clear. Of course, doing away with a well-worked formula is always a risk and despite a couple of genuine corkers in the shape of bass-rubbed 'Dead Ahead' and album closer 'Shadows(Its You)' 'Out Of Our Hands' fails to live up to the group's high standards. That said, this is still an album well worth exploring for fans of 1970s progressive rock, the real disappointment being that Flash couldn't end their annoyingly-truncated career on a slightly grander note. STEFAN TURNER, ANGEL ISLINGTON, 2012

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#823522) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Post a review of FLASH "Out Of Our Hands"